Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour. In this Monday Dan and the dan 's Dan Patrick Show. Doctor Rick Neuheisel College football a list. He'll join us coming up here shortly. Sunday Night Football. It'll be justin Jefferson and the Vikings against Dak and the Cowboys. That'll be at seven Eastern, non NBC and Peacock. I mentioned with the NFL, it was more about the teams that lost over the weekend. Certainly the Colts losing and losing their quarterback. Chiefs lose last night, Bengals lose in Buffalo, the Buccaneers lost at home, the Ravens lost at home as well. You know, the Bears had the best record in the NFC. They ended up losing to Green Bay. And Green Bay is kind of quietly becoming a very good team, if not great team. And you know, I think we focus usually on the offense and Jordan Love and is Jordan Love holding them back? And the defense is playing well. But that's a big You know that you're at home, Yes you're supposed to win, it's against the Bears, and you end up winning. Because when we look back on this season, there's going to be a couple of teams where you're going to single out one game, maybe two games, where you go, how did you lose to them? Take care of the business that's in front of you, and then you hope that you're going to be able to get into the postseason. You know the Steelers. Steelers aren't great, They're a little better than average, it feels like, but that's a desperate Ravens team. You're at home. You got to win that game. You have to win that game. And what I have given Isaiah likely a touchdown. I would have because it felt like it was one step, two steps control of the ball. Football moved to keep the ball away from the defender and they decided to overturn that. But as Aaron Rodgers said, maybe this will keep us idiots in the media off Mike Tomlin for a week, maybe nationally not locally. It'll be like, ruggled. We maybe shouldn't have won that game, but that's a big win. But it sounded like the Ravens are out of it in that division. They're still in it. You went too in a row. Did you see Ben Johnson, the Bear's head coach, and Matt leafleour at the end of the game with their handshake. Frosty is the word that I would use. Keep in mind, when Ben Johnson was sworn in as the Bear's head coach, he was like, oh yeah, I always like beating the Packers twice a year. That was when he was an assistant coach in Detroit. Well, now you're the head coach here, And I think that's why it was a little bit of a frosty handshake at the end of the game. And they play each other in two weeks. But I was kind of surprised that when Ben got sworn in. I'm like, all right, he's buying into that rivalry. Now you've got to go out there and win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Paul, that barely counts as a postgame handshake. They didn't even break stride or slow down. It was like, in real time, a grab and go and they didn't even give the good game turn in you just throw away.
Speaker 1: I did like it, though, yes, because you know it feels like, hey, everybody loves everybody. Every quarterback loves every quarterback, every coach loves every that's not the keys. But I like it when you don't like each other. I like it when there's a little bit of a frosty nature added to that. Packers' next game in Denver. In Denver, Nah, that's what I want to see Jordan Love against that Broncos defense. Is that Broncos defense. I think they're up to like fifty five sacks something like that. This year. They've been great, and they roughed up the Raiders yesterday as well. All right, eight seven seven three DP show more phone calls best and worst to the weekend, uh Seaton, You got a poll question for the final hour, and then we will talk to Rick Newheisel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got three of them up there right now. Notre Dame either your options are got hosed, will change the playoffs as being petty or all of the above? Right now, being petty has about thirty six percent, followed by all of the above, which is thirty four. We also have up there the Chiefs playoff chances are dead, on life support or alive, and well fifty four percent of the audience have them as dead. And the worst loss this weekend Bucks, Chiefs, Colts, Ravens. It's in that order. Actually, Bucks and Chiefs almost tied for the top.
Speaker 1: Fritchie just reminded me The late field goal by the Raiders put the game total over by a half. The total was forty and a half. The field goal got it to forty one, and the points spread was seven and a half. They were down ten, they kick a field goal and they lose by seven. This is where Todd comes in. He goes, how did they do that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: How did I do that?
Speaker 5: Crazy?
Speaker 1: Well, it's their job, Todd.
Speaker 6: The last second, meaningless field goal somehow gets involved with.
Speaker 1: I just can't. This is what they do. They have to do this so they can make money. New Heisel college football analyst works for CBS, joining us on the program. All right, do we talk about what the committee got right or what the committee got wrong?
Speaker 7: I think the answer is we're all kind of lost in a world that for six weeks we were told that Notre Dame was better than Miami. We all made our proclamations about how that game went on the field to play in week one, but to do it for six weeks and then choose the week after neither one played, to make the adjustment. That to me is time for a change. And I don't blame anybody, but all of a sudden, you've teased Notre Dame for too long to do this to them, And I see now they're taking their ball and going home. They're not going to play in a bowl game. This is bad for college football.
Speaker 1: Well what do you make of that decision to not play in the bowl game against BYU.
Speaker 5: I think it's a sign of the times.
Speaker 7: We saw Iowa State, we saw Kansas State also make similar decisions. Obviously coaching changes there as part of it. But I think bowl games are going to end up being the first game of the year. Dan, I think we're going to see a bunch of these bulls go by way of the whales. And I also think the college football playoff is going to go. As they extended that deadline to January twenty third, I think we're going to go right past sixteen all the way to twenty four.
Speaker 1: Well, wait a minute, we're going to get rid of bowl games. What do you mean by bowl games will be the first game of the year.
Speaker 7: I think we're going to have a hard time talking a bunch of teams into playing in the postseason. Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, because I remember vividly how much I enjoyed them both as a player, and as coach. But I just think in this day of transaction football, where people are coming and going, that there are going to be a lot of teams and we're going to see a lot of players that aren't going to participate, and I think that's a shame. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of these bowl games get moved to the front end of a college football season.
Speaker 1: Does Alabama deserve to be in not?
Speaker 7: Based on the eye test? They were not themselves. Give Georgia a lot of credit for that, but that was not a good looking football team. And you know those two conference championship games, the Acid excuse me, the SEC and the Big Ten. For there to be that little movement in the CFP rankings meant that they were basically not important enough to make changes.
Speaker 5: That to me signals of time.
Speaker 7: We're going to change those out, We're not going to have those, We're going to end up having play in games to replace the money.
Speaker 1: And I'm wondering about these weekly ranking shows that ESPN has right, and I think it puts the College Football Committee in a really precarious position because they have to explain themselves and they don't do a very good job explaining themselves.
Speaker 7: No they don't, and the poor communicator in this case, Hunter Yrchek, the CFP chairman, has to try to make sense of things. And I mean, for the for six weeks, you basically said that Miami is not as good as Notre Dame because Notre Dame's on this fabulous run. Notre Dame finishes the run, Miami finishes the season, and.
Speaker 5: Then you flip them.
Speaker 7: Uh. It brings into question all sorts of things, which isn't fair to the committee, but ultimately they have to answer. So these shows to me ought to be one show, the last one. And I understand how television works. We like our cake and eat it too. We like people's eyeballs and commercials and all that stuff. But that was that was difficult. I knew the committee was in trouble when bou Corrigan, as the committee chaired, Dan said, as you know, we like wins and we value wins. When he came up with that, Pearl, I said, now that's common sense.
Speaker 1: He's Rick new Heisl, CBS college football analyst, former college football head coach. If I would have told you five months ago, Indiana is going to be undefeated, number one team in the country and they're going to have the Heisman Trophy winner and Notre Dame is not going to make the playoffs.
Speaker 7: You would have said, where's the statue of Signetti? The guy has pulled a rabbit out of his hat.
Speaker 1: Is there anything that's comparable to what he's accomplished, because I do think it's being underrated what he did growing up in the Midwest, knowing what Indiana football was and they want to be a basketball school and what he's done in two years time is working.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think we're working so hard to figure out how it could have happened. And obviously with a transfer poral in his experience at James Madison and a lot of really good players, the sarat kid and others that came with him from James Madison. But at the end of the day, let's just stop and admire the work done. It is phenomenal. It is out of this world. This is a program that was the losingest program in all of college football. No one had lost more games, and for them to go and have this run that they have enjoyed eleven and two last year and now sitting there at thirteen and zero and the number one team in the land going to a Rose Bowl. If you're a Hoosier fan, you're going just don't wake me up. Just keep this thing rolling. And now you know we're going to be listening to Abba played Fernando for on and on and on.
Speaker 1: How many teams can win the title?
Speaker 5: I think seven. I think I like maybe maybe eight.
Speaker 7: I think the top seven teams are all absolutely good enough to do it. And as we saw over the weekend, defense plays right that those were games I think all went under. So if you have the top seven, and I think, if I'm looking, that's the seventh team, I kind of like Miami. I think Miami is dangerous if Carson Beck gets on a heater.
Speaker 1: How did Penn State do in the big picture here?
Speaker 7: A whole lot of a whole lot of you know, consternation, and a whole lot of time and money spent to get the same coach. I mean, Matt Campbell's a fine coach, but he has no better resume than James Franklin when he got there, and James Franklin had a great run. I understand the whiplash of the three games and why it happened, but Matt Campbell's going to have to go aways to be better than what James Franklin is And right now, if you're looking at Virginia Tech and Penn State, the momentum is clearly with Virginia Tech.
Speaker 1: I was told over the weekend that we're going to sixteen teams with the playoff next year.
Speaker 7: I think I think, you know, as the old saying goes, the answers money Now what was the question?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 7: But but you know, given the noted Aime situation, I wouldn't be shocked if we go right through it. I really wouldn't because to get to twenty four. Now you can start supplanning some of these conference championship games, which right now after the weekend we saw even with Alabama looking that terrible, didn't move a spot. Ohio State lost the game, but is the two seed and nothing really matters. All they did is risk players. I think we're going to look for games to supplant those, and in so doing, we're going to end up at a number that's larger than sixteen. Why would we stop knowing that we're probably going to get there anyway?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, the conference championships have always been a money grab sure, right, that's all. That's why they were just like basketball.
Speaker 7: Just like basketball, conference tournaments are a money grab. They don't really mean that much when you're in the power for structure.
Speaker 5: Now for the ACC.
Speaker 7: And the Big Twelve, they're important games because loser is out.
Speaker 5: Uh and in this game even winner was out. Uh.
Speaker 7: I wonder if they might make a deal with the Notre Dame in the ACC. If the ACC doesn't have a champion as as Duke was, that Notre Dame can be their champion. Remember Notre Dame went as there as an ACC team back in the COVID year.
Speaker 1: Who would you make the commissioner of college football? Oh goodness, is there somebody who can do that?
Speaker 7: Jobs as big as it is, it's all it is is given the bad news, right, It's it's the guy who can come up and tell people, or or the the woman who can come up and tell people things that they.
Speaker 1: Don't necessarily do. Exact their commissioner like somebody like Goodell, like scheduling. You know he's running or they are running everything here.
Speaker 7: I'm available, Dan, I just want to make you you got a great life.
Speaker 1: You don't want this.
Speaker 5: I got, I got my I'm working on my grip.
Speaker 1: Okay, enough people hate you. You don't need more people to hate you. It's an excellent point. D It's an excellent point. I don't need that nonsense. Thank you, buddy. I appreciate you.
Speaker 7: Jo always wonderful to be with you. Happy holidays, and I'll have a song for you the next time we talk.
Speaker 1: Rick new Isiel CBS Sports analyst. Okay, he brings up something interesting from the standpoint of expanding the playoffs. Now, I'm going to take a break and then we'll come back. I want to talk about this because there's also going to be a push for something that has to do with bowl games, and we might flip the script of having bowl games to start seasons. They want to make sure that these players are going to play in the bowl games. Rick is talk about expanding the playoffs to twenty four and I understand you may not like it his logic, but I do understand it. We'll take a break, we'll come back more of your phone calls, best and worst of the weekend. Right after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine I'm Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. And the iHeartRadio w app. Fox Sports Radio is taking over YouTube and you can be a part of it. Just go to YouTube and search Fox Sports Radio, hit that subscribe button and smash that notification bell and catch all the videos from your favorite shows. Due Pro's and a Cup of Joe, Dan Patrick, Colin Coward, Doug Gottlieb Cavino and Rich The Odd Couple with Rob Parker and Kelvin Washington, The Jason Smith Show with Mike Harmon, and The Ben Maller Show.
Speaker 8: Fox Sports Radio on.
Speaker 1: YouTube, Subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon and comment away. Notre Dame athletic director uh Pete Bavaqua joined us and he talked about his relationship Notre Dame's relationship with the ACC and where it stands now after the college football playoff snub. What role do the ACC play in any of this in your opinion?
Speaker 9: Well, I would tell you, I mean again, I have tremendous respect for Miami, you know, the great team school, their athletic director Dan Radikovich is a good friend, and all the teams in the ACC great wonderful universities. We have no gripes about any of the schools in the ACC. But we were mystified by the actions of the conference to attack you know, their biggest really business partner in football and a member of their conference in twenty four of our other sports. And I would tell you, Dan, I wouldn't be honest with you if I didn't say that they have certainly done permanent damage to the relationship between the conference and Notre Dame. What do you mean, just we didn't appreciate the fact that we were singled out repeatedly and compared to Miami.
Speaker 5: Not by Miami.
Speaker 9: Miami has every right to do that, but it raised a lot of eyebrows here that the conference was taking shots at us, and you know, that's just not something we chose to do.
Speaker 8: We wouldn't choose to do that in the future.
Speaker 9: People might disagree with us, but that's just not something that we'd be comfortable with. And again, we have no problem with any of these teams. These are all great teams. You look at those teams, Miami, like I said, great season, they beat us. You think about Alabama, and nobody's had more success in college football over the last decade than Alabama. But Dan, you know, I mean, you follow the sport so closely everybody was saying that we were one of a handful of teams that could win this whole thing, and that we have zero percent chance. Even Nick Saban, you know, nobody knows more about college football maybe in the history of the world than Nick Saban, you know, and he said it yesterday, like, how is Notre Dame not in this? I mean, everybody's just kind of confused and perplexed, and we don't have good answers for the kids on our team, for our student athletes.
Speaker 1: Are you going to reevaluate your relationship with the ACC the overall relationship.
Speaker 8: I would just say it's been strained.
Speaker 1: That is going to go viral there with that comment. Now, I did ask Pete to explain the decision name is going to sit out their bowl game.
Speaker 9: You know, we made the decision not to play in a bowl game, as I know you're you're well aware, and a lot of people have asked me about that. And you know, when Marcus, we watched the presentation show, the selection show with the team, and then Marcus, like he always does, was wonderful, got up and for somebody that always has great answers, he was brutally honest with the team and said he didn't have a lot of answers. Doesn't understand how this happened, Why this happened, Why a team that thought it was doing what it needed to do all of a sudden kind of woke up on kind of the wrong side of this. And then just as you're kind of dealing with that, you start getting these calls from other bowls.
Speaker 8: And you know that the.
Speaker 9: Role of a captain on the Notre Dame football team is a role that that the program and Marcus takes very very seriously. And he talked to all the captains, you know, I said, hey, what are you guys thinking, What's what does the team thinking.
Speaker 8: Let's talk about this, And you know.
Speaker 9: To a person, the captains and some of the other you know, underclassmen on the team said, listen, we are such a close knit team.
Speaker 8: We've done so much this season.
Speaker 9: We overcame those two opening losses, we rallied, we dominated in the last ten games. We can't imagine taking the field not as that team. And it's reality, Dan, you know that certain players wouldn't participate in that game. You think about somebody with the future that he has, like a Jeremiah Love, a Jadarian Price Eli Rared and you know Emil Wagner, who's one of the most impressive people I've met in my life, who hopefully after he's done playing football, I hope he runs for president one day.
Speaker 8: It just wouldn't be the same.
Speaker 9: And you know, made the decision that it was time to start thinking about next season. Give these these student athletes a break. They have exams coming up, and then you know, really hopefully they'll go home and spend Christmas in the holidays with their family.
Speaker 1: And so that's Pete Babakway. He's the athletic director at Notre Dame. And whether you agree with him or not, I wish they would have played in the ball game. I do understand what he's saying. If you're not playing for anything, then why are you playing in the bowl game, Especially if you're Jeremiah Love and you're going to be a top fifteen pick and some of these other players at Notre Dame, why are you playing? This is why what Rick Newheiser was saying. If you expanded to twenty four schools, now you have and they'll still be playing in bowl games, they'll be playoff games. But now all of a sudden, they're relevant now I have more teams, more players, and better games. Now, is that too many twenty four teams instead of twelve or going to fourteen? But this is what Rick Newhaisa was saying. I'm wondering if we get to the point where we need to schedule bowl games at the beginning of the season to ensure that you get a good game site and you're going to get players who are going to play. Now, you know it's not during the winter time, and a lot of these fans want to go to a nice place weatherwise. Well, the weather would be nice in September everywhere in the country, and then you could get them to play in a bowl game as opposed to the future of the bowl games might be in jeopardy here.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Marvin, Yeah, you could do the same thing college basketball does every single year they have the Preeces Nit Duke plays North Carolina or Kansas places Michigan State at the beginning of every single season Madis Square Garden. They always have a big college basketball game. So you can kind of do the same thing to make sure you have a big time matchup and put the name of the bowl on there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I think college football's changing and what happens. It usually takes something that you know calls about change. If you believe this call is about change, it's Notre Dame and it's a controversy. And I think you can actually understand Notre Dame's side of this, just from the standpoint of Miami didn't do anything, but they jumped Notre Dame. Why wasn't Notre Dame in front of them for the last month? Alabama loses and really was never competitive in the SEC title game and they don't drop. Why not? Because history shows teams that lose in those conference title games almost always drop. Twenty out of the last twenty two have dropped in the rankings. The only two that didn't Alabama. And then I think you can go back to TCU a couple of years ago. That's it, but they didn't drop. I'm going to go back to what my source said, and he said it during the week it felt like the committee was setting Notre Dame up for disappointment. That was the quote, and it stayed with me the entire weekend, and when I realized Notre Dame wasn't in, it just felt like ACC was against Notre Dame and maybe the college Football Playoff Committee to a certain degree was but put Miami ahead of them, then we don't have that controvert Alabama shoot a drop down. Yes, they're in the SEC title game and that's the most demanding conference and to do that is quite an accomplishment. But you were not competitive in that game. You should have dropped at least a little bit there. Yeah, see agree, full stop, Paulie.
Speaker 2: You know the other thing you could do if you wanted to make a sixteen team playoff, you could remove the conference championship weekend and make those into a series of play in games for the last two spots and those could be called bowl games or something like that, because right now the conference playoff weekend is becoming semi relevant, but it doesn't really matter in your rankings. You could lose and still stay where you are.
Speaker 5: Though.
Speaker 2: What used to be a great weekend and impactful weekend is kind of like high end exhibitions.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hate the conference championship games.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 1: Some conferences have a conference championship game, some don't. Can you schedule another game? You know, Vandy tried to do that. I'm curious if Notre Dame tried to do that. It just make it all equal. There's millions and millions and millions of dollars at stake here.
Speaker 3: Yes, all that's really being highlighted, though essentially on an annual basis, is how stupid this whole setup is. Okay, the idea that we've just gotten to a point where you said, you know, I actually hate the conference title games?
Speaker 1: What are we doing?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 3: I've hated him for years? What are we doing years? It is the dumbest thing in the world. But it generates money, and that's all they care about. That's all the playoff is about. It's about money. Yes, it's generating money. It's not no one actually cares who is the real winner. It's how much money can we make it till we decide, Well, you're the winner, then okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, somebody're gonna get a nice shiny trophy at the end of this. But then all these schools are going to make millions of dollars because they're in, you know, the playoffs, And you're right. I mean, they went kicking and screaming from four to twelve, remember that.
Speaker 3: Four to twelve, getting to four and they screened the entire existence of college football.
Speaker 1: Percy Lean, when I go, wait a minute. When we went from two to four, I did say on on the radio show, all right, I'm good, like I'm we accomplished something. And then all of a sudden it was four to twelve, and I go, oh my god, this is awesome. I don't want us to go to twenty four, but I do want these games to mean something. And college football has so many games that don't mean anything. But maybe you put a bowl game at the beginning of the year. Maybe that's your bowl, your bowl month celebrated espnos sell it.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marvin, Yeah, the a SEC championship meant nothing. Duke won great. You want in front of fifteen thousand people, you won a trophy. You're still not even.
Speaker 1: They should have put him in the playoffs. You won the ACC playoffs. I thought that's how we usually go. Yeah, not used to, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 2: But conference championship and could also be a double standard. It doesn't hurt Alabama to lose poorly, but it does hurt BYU to lose poorly. Both were right there in the thick of things. But BYU getting beat thirty four to seven by Texas deck, you wipe your hands a BYU there out of the mix.
Speaker 5: That's what the committee did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Seaton.
Speaker 3: Just the fact that we sit here year after year and debate why he can't expand the playoffs?
Speaker 1: I mean, how would that even work.
Speaker 3: There's a whole other group of schools that have a twenty fourteenth playoffs since forever and it works just fine there. How in the world can we honestly sit here and be.
Speaker 12: Like, how would that even work? I mean, how could you possibly expand it? I what twelve sixty, what's next?
Speaker 1: Twenty four? Yeah, they've been doing it since I don't even know how long.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Yes, what the hell? What is this a debate for? I wo, how would we do that? H Adam in La Hi Adam. Best and Worst of the weekend?
Speaker 13: Happy Monday, DP. I have two best and a quick two worst of the weekend. My best was that I got the opportunity to be the head coach for my two oldest daughters in their versus varsity basketball tournament.
Speaker 4: They both did really well. Couldn't be more proud of as a dad and a coach. Second best with my Los Angeles Rams with the bounce back dominating performance over the Cardinals back on top of the NFC Matthew Stafford again another flawless performance. Definitely right now front runner to win NFL MVP.
Speaker 13: Two quick words.
Speaker 4: Nobody should be crying about not making the college football playoffs. The top four is more than enough for me to make it this year. The second worst Purdue suffering their worst loss at home in over a decade at the hands of a really good Iowa State team.
Speaker 1: You all have a great week.
Speaker 5: Thanks DP, You're the best.
Speaker 1: Thank you Adam, Thank you, Zach and Noggsville. Welcome back, Zachy.
Speaker 5: Zach.
Speaker 1: Dorsey in North Carolina, Hi, dors, Hi.
Speaker 11: Dan, how are you great?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 11: My best say the week was hands down to Indiana Hoosiers winning meeting Ohio State, being number one in the country and finally getting some respect. Signetti is the greatest story in the history of college football.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if it's the greatest, Like, is it better than Rudy?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: I mean, is that the great? Are they going to do a movie on Kurt Signetti? But he's done a great job. Dorsey just just adding a lot levity there.
Speaker 11: Well, I got three kids that graduated from IU, so I'm obviously favorite.
Speaker 1: Okay, that clears it up. That clears it up.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that does. But I want to know one thing about Notre Dame. Who was on that selection committee? And were anybody on the selection committee from the SEC?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody's represented. I just think from what I'm told, the ACC took up about three hours and they have too many people with too many different too many agendas in there. But there's going to be more that'll come out here. There'll be more information about this. And was there an agenda against Notre Dame? Maybe we'll find out. Let's see Matt in Nashville. I'm Matt. What's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Hey Matt, good morning.
Speaker 1: How are you good, sir? What's on your mind? Oh?
Speaker 14: Not too much long suffering. As to your resident University of Virginia sports fan, here got a best and worst. I'm gonna go ahead and rip off the band aid. Worst is what it is, man, No excuses. We lost it on the field. Terrible, terrible game, just all the way around. I told a buddy of mine, the only good thing about being a Virginia football fan is you never expect to win the big games, so when you lose, it's never shot. On the flip side of that, the best I don't know if you guys are paying attention to college basketball yet, but my Virginia Cavaliers on Saturday morning, Saint City, Sat. And Charlotte played your Dayton Flyers, and Jacari White, the seventh man off the bench, went at a stat line. He went nine for nine from the field, seven for seven from three. He is currently thirteen for thirteen in his last three games from three. He's got a crowd or a group of students that are called the CHICARMI if you're not paying attention to the Jacory White over Virginia. So I've never seen the state line stat line like that in my life.
Speaker 5: Dan.
Speaker 1: All right, well, thank you, Matt, and congratulations with your Virginia Cavaliers against my Dayton Flyers. Stephen in Bismarck, North Dakota, Hi, Steven.
Speaker 6: Well, hello Dan, second time, long time five nine one sixty five and I'm sixty six years old. I'm closer to you, okay, guest.
Speaker 14: And worst.
Speaker 6: The best of the weekend, and this is from an NBSU fan, is that we lost our game. The worst is that Notre Dame got voted out. Here's why. Best is North Sacota State losing football in all sports is a merit sport. It means the end of the game. It's no different than you losing or winning a three point contest. To Fritzy Bali, we're seating. The score is the score. We lost the game. And as hard as it is to lose a game, you lose by a score, to get beat out by a committee of some sort that goes has different political feelings to me is just wrong. And that's why I love sports because of I love merit.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, thank you, Steven, all right, getting some morals there, understanding the sportsmanship and what you prove it on the field.
Speaker 2: Yes, Paul, I saw some people on social media compared to imagine you're up for a job and you do the final interview, and the other person who's up for it does the final interview, and they tell you a couple of days before, well it's yours. We had to wait till Sunday morning to announce it. But it's yours, and nobody else has any more in interaction, and nowhere more else has any more interviews, and they give it to the other guy.
Speaker 1: That's the feel Yeah, like you know, just as long as it's not transparent. I guess that's the thing that bothers Notre Dame. They just wanted to know. Wait, what happened here? We didn't play Miami, didn't play Miami's in front of us. Alabama got roughed up. They didn't drop, Like, help us understand this here?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: See, yeah, it is weird when you look at like the rankings right now, Notre Dame is eleventh, except that really they're not.
Speaker 1: No. Yeah, eleventh in real life, but not eleventh in college football life yeah life, Yeah, all right, last call for phone calls. What we've learned? What's in store tomorrow? Right after this? Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Satan, would you give us the final results of the poll question today? Please?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got a few of them up there. Things not going well for not to day. Most of a vast majority of the audience think they're just being petty over being things like screwed, etc.
Speaker 1: Etc. Etc.
Speaker 3: Also, the Chiefs playoff chances, according to that same audience, are mostly dead or on life support, and the worst loss of the weekend right now, Bucks, Chiefs, Colts, Ravens in that order.
Speaker 1: Okay, Joe and Orlando, Hi Joe, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: You?
Speaker 13: And Dennetz? Hope you guys are having a blessed start to the week. First caller, longtime list First time caller, longtime listener eighteen.
Speaker 8: I'm five.
Speaker 6: I just wanted to ask you, if we do move to a twenty fourteen format, would there be any sort of conference tie in at all? Would we have to look at the mid majors?
Speaker 13: What would be the deal there?
Speaker 1: Once again, I don't even want to dive into that deep end of the pool because I don't know what I mean. Once again, we're dealing with a fluid topic in the college football Playoff committee, So I don't want to throw out, you know, possible scenarios here until we get to that and it's in the formulative stage of this where we're actually trying to do something like this. I don't want to go, well, you could have a AQ and then you could have the highest and that, you know, then all of a sudden, that's not good radio. But I do think if we got to make the bowl games mean something, the players will play in those Bowl games if it means that they're in the playoffs. But I don't even know. The other bowl games won't matter for a lot of these kids. I just worry that these bowl games will become obsolete. And that's why I'm saying, why not do something like college basketball does and they have these matchups. It'll be the Big Ten in SEC. They'll meet at the Garden, they'll meet in random sites. Okay, nothing's really accomplished there. But if it means I can have the Rose Bowl and you're gonna have Oregon play throw out a team at Miami and they're going to play in the Rose Bowl, and that's the Rose Bowl, and you get a good matchup against two teams that wouldn't normally play each other. That's what we want. We don't want these games where you go, who are you playing? You know, we're playing Tennessee Valley State University, you know Northeast. It doesn't help now, it helps those schools because that's their big payday. But we're talking about big boy football here and a lot of money at stake, So play quality opponents here, yes, Marvin, Yeah, and a lot.
Speaker 10: Of those smaller bulls. You can just turn it into the pop Tart Classic, the Pinstrike Classic. You don't have to put even a bowl and you just have two pretty good teams just play each other.
Speaker 1: Let's see Ted and Nevada.
Speaker 6: Ted, Hey dad, how are you doing this morning? Pay quickly with the.
Speaker 15: Whole Notre Dame Miami. Does anybody really think that Alabama with one more loss and neither one of those two teams should be in the playoffs? I mean, you can argue all day long who had the better loss, who had the better schedule, who had it's another loss, one more than the other two teams?
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 1: Why are we playing the games? If wins and losses don't matter? These are all good topics, they're relevant topics, And it becomes we don't know what goes on behind those closed doors. I mean, i'd I'd love to make it transparent, but it's never gonna happen. But you know, you're just trying to understand exactly what is what are there formulas for this? Just help us understand that. I mean, I don't think any of us have a problem if we at least understand what the rules of the game. You can't play monopoly, but you're you know, using shoots and ladders rules like it doesn't make sense here, and it feels like college football is shoots and ladders. It's like, wait a minute, how did we end up down there? And how did they end up up there? Paul in North Dakota. Hi, Paul, Wood's on your mind? Hey Dan, This is Paul and Boseman. Actually, first time caller, longtime listener since the Dibble and Salisbury Days. Best of the weekend Montana State Bobcats over Yale and the FCS playoffs. I don't know why FBS can't go to FCS. Other best North Dakota State, South Dakota State going down, which means there's going to be a new champion. Yeah, and another best. I'm sitting here in the new member df Nations twelve point six pound fox red labrador, eight week old. Thank you, Paul, good luck, good luck. We got a onesie for your your dog.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Brian in Indiana, Hi, Brian, WIT's on your mind?
Speaker 16: Hey Dan, Hey, I'm.
Speaker 1: Just calling in.
Speaker 16: This is a five nine, one sixty two retired looking over the lake right now. I think the elephant in the room is Alabama and part that's the pun on the whole thing too. They lost to Florida State early in the year, and nobody's factoring that in. They're sitting there saying Notre Dame, you know, and lost to Miami and that's why they're out. And they lost two games by total of four point Yet Alabama got hammered by Florida State, they lost his home to Oklahoma, and they looked terrible in the championship game. And they are the elephant in the room as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, Brian. Yeah, all I can go on is, you know, last week, a week ago at this time, and that's when my college source said, you know, the Alabama placement is drew his attention because he said it feels like they're setting Notre Dame up to be disappointed. Those were his words. And he's a great college source here, Josh and Iowa, Josh, what's on your mind?
Speaker 17: Hey guys, thanks for having me. Shout out to the guy who repped his dog just a second ago, five eleven. Thank you. Best and worse. I got a best, which is the annual snow game in Buffalo. I always love those games. Worst of the weekend is we still suffering snow Mgeddon here and Iowa a lot of hurtbacks around here. Thanks for having me, guys.
Speaker 1: Bye, PAULI this day in sports history, I just got one for you.
Speaker 2: Dan Tom King of England won over John Heaton of America in eighteen sixty three to be the first world heavyweight champion.
Speaker 5: I've ever heard that before. Hm hmm.
Speaker 1: Okay. Earl Campbell won the Heisman on this date in nineteen seventy seven. Kyler Murray, friend of the Show, won the Heisman on this date twenty eighteen. That career in Arizona is over. It feels like a healthy scratch for the rest of the season for Kyler Murray. All right, Todd? Would you learn today?
Speaker 9: Rick Newhausel thinks the selection committee tease Notre Dame for too long, ranking them ahead of Miami for the last possible moment.
Speaker 1: Satan, would you learn today? Permanent damage? Irreparable d yeh Marvin, you owe Pritzy, You owe Fritzy a pie and I owe Pitsy of fry. Paulie, what did you learn?
Speaker 2: The best ballgame would be Notre Dame versus.
Speaker 1: The ACC Todd? What did I learn.
Speaker 10: Notre Dame ad pee Pavakua says the relationship between Notre Dame and ACC is now being strained.
Speaker 1: Have a great day, everybody. We look forward to chatting with you tomorrow.