Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're trying to enjoy the two week break before college basketball starts, but it's actually killing us. Are we sure it's not November fourth yet? On today's show, we'll be talking a breakout star and record setting goals scorer Temwachewinga and Her Casey current teammate fellow forward Juanna Lima Adam Jericho about goals, nicknames, and the growth of international soccer, plus the ties that connect generations of female athletes. Fee Gets Speicty and I Love a parade. It's all coming up right after this welcome back slice. This Here's what you need to know today in WNBA news. The hard part is over for the New York Liberty and now it's time to celebrate. The team will have a ticker tape parade in New York City on Thursday at ten am Eastern, beginning in Battery Park, heading north an ending at City Hall, where there'll be a ceremony for the team starting at noon. Fans are also welcome to join a celebration with the team later in the day in Brooklyn at Barclays Center at seven pm. The parade is free for all fans, but those who want to go to the championship ceremony at City Hall and the fans celebration at Barclay Center will need tickets. We'll put the link for those in our show notes. If the Las Vegas Aces celebrations the last few years or any indication we are in store for some drug shenanigans. Oh and speaking of New York celebrations, quick correction from me from our post title reaction show. I said that the last time New York City enjoyed a professional basketball championship win was the nineteen seventy in New York Knicks. That was actually the last title one in New York. The nineteen seventy three Knicks also won it all. So shout out to Stephen at Golden Age NBA on Twitter for the gentle correction. He said, quote Walt Fraser's Knicks won the franchise's second NBA title over Jerry West Lakers in nineteen seventy three. It's all I've got, Please don't take it. End quote. Listen. As a Chicagoan who enjoyed six Bowls titles and a Sky Championship during New York's drought, I would never want to take away what little you have. Wink wink, and thanks Steven. In women's college hoops, the AP released its preseason All America Team yesterday and includes three sophomores for the first time ever. Those young guns are USC's Juju Watkins, Notre Dames Hannah Hidalgo, and Texas's Madison Booker. They're joined by Yukon redshirt senior Page Beckers and watkins senior teammate Kiki Erieoffin. Watkins and Beckers, who went toe to toe in the NCAA tournament's Elite eight last season, were unanimous selections. Side note thanks to at doctor Mattea on Twitter who let us all know that Women's Final four tickets are on pre sale right now at face value with the code WFF twenty twenty five. If you want a chance to potentially experience these elite hoopers on the biggest stage, it's time to go. Secure your seats. Link is in our episode notes hurry though last time we clicked the link, we were in line behind like forty six hundred people, okay, orangelices, So we mentioned that the New York Liberty are being honored with a ticker tape p raid. This Thursday, and in doing so, they're going to become the first New York based women's team honored this way. But there's a long history of other women's sports athletes who have been honored in the Canyon of Heroes, which brings us to the latest edition of Yes and.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: If you're not from New York, you might be asking, what on earth is a ticker tape parade. Here's the gist. New York's first ticker tape parade was held spontaneously in eighteen eighty six. It was during a dedication to the statue of Liberty office workers in Wall Street through ticker tape, a type of paper ribbon used for sending telegraph messages into the streets below, and it quickly became a tradition. Since that first parade in eighteen eighty six, New York is honored a variety of folks, from athletes to astronauts to politicians in this very section of downtown Manhattan that's now known as the Canyon of Heroes. And while the Liberty are New York's first women's team, they aren't the first overall. Back in twenty fifteen, the US women's national soccer team became the first women's team honored with a ticker tape parade following their World Cup win. They were also the first female athletes to be honored in a solo parade in more than fifty years. And then they got another one in twenty nineteen after winning their second straight World Cup title. And if y'all remember, the gift that they got was that when Meghan Rapino got up to give a speech, the head of US Soccer called her, Megan Rappino, I will never forget that, and he will never be forgiven for that. Before then, gymnast Mary Lourettin and Cheryl Miller were honored in paradeer of Olympians in nineteen eighty four. Figure skater Carol Heist Jenkins got a parade in nineteen sixty after winning Olympic gold. Tennis player Althea Gibson was honored in nineteen fifty seven following her first Wimbledon win, and Gertrude Utterly was honored in nineteen twenty six after she became the first woman to swim the English channel. So Yes to the New York Liberty and to Gertrude Althea, Carol Cheryl and Mary Lou we got to take a quick break. When we come back, We're riding the k C Current with Temla and Jericho. She's a Malawian professional footballer who plays as a forward for the Kansas City Current of the NWSL and the Malawi national team. In her first season in the NWSL, she's broken the single season scoring record. She's currently at twenty goals for the year and is now the only player in league history to score against every active NWSL team in a single season. Her name means love, but the rest of the NWSL has gotten no love for her. It's Temwa Scheweinga because she keeps beating all their teams joining her. A Kenyan professional footballer who is captain of the Kenya national team and a forward for the Kansas City Current as well. She had twenty three goals, including two hat tricks playing in the Turkey Super League last year and just joined Casey in August of this year. She's got four names when you count her nickname Dogo, but she's such a star she only goes by one. It's Juana Lima Adam Dogo, Jericho aka Jericho. What's up Jericho? What's up?
Speaker 3: Temwa?
Speaker 1: Congrats on a great season so far, Temwa. Before we get into your success in the NWSA, so I want to go back to the beginning. Your older sister, who's also a soccer player, told the story about playing with balls made out of plastic and paper when you were growing up. Can you tell us how you learned how to play soccer and Malawi.
Speaker 3: I learned from my sister.
Speaker 4: I was liking to go to play soccer like that, so me I was following her every.
Speaker 3: Time when you go, joining them to train to play.
Speaker 4: After that, we go to go to the Long Way to start playing in the league. There mea stay in the Lulo area, but I joined her to the same team we play.
Speaker 3: To give any wrong?
Speaker 1: What did your parents think about you playing football before?
Speaker 3: Didn't allow us?
Speaker 4: Were singing a lot of countries in Africa don't allow girls to play soccer. Was thinking it's only for boys, but my sister refused. After that were except me. I just passed through the way my sister. She already brewed a media. We didn't allow us, but to me, they allow me. We're going to do the way your sister is doing, except as to play soca.
Speaker 1: She opened the door for you by being the one who was willing to defy them at first, but then you both were so good. Obviously there was some magic there. And you're playing Jericho. You're the first Kenyan born player to play in the NWSL. How did you first get into soccer back home and was your family supportive.
Speaker 3: For me?
Speaker 5: I started playing with my brother, my first mom, usually playing in our village. So then when every ceremony go anywhere, we just follow out my boots. So starting from there, I go to primary school, I played to primary ball games. I go secondary school, Saint John's CALOLENI I start continued then a join national team twenty fifteen inch until now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell us about the nickname Dogo. It means small and Swahili.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, and means small because it was shot and they played with so they called you from to day your dog.
Speaker 3: So they just called me.
Speaker 1: Dog and you're okay with that. You are short, right, so you can't really.
Speaker 5: Argue yes, and because I'm dog yeah.
Speaker 1: It's accurent. What was your goal at the beginning of this season with the current did you have any goals? No?
Speaker 3: Both.
Speaker 4: I remember when I come here in pre season, I see the team goes good, so after I was when interview asked me how it goes to score, I said, maybe twenty to twenty three. I trust my team may be away if you play. So they helped me alone, like maybe Lo and Vanessa. They tell me a lot of what to do in the pich was single players. We play in this league since long time I go, so they teach me a lot to do the pich.
Speaker 1: So you called your shot. I mean, did you know when you said maybe twenty twenty three goals that it was the record.
Speaker 3: No, I didn't know anything.
Speaker 4: I didn't know anything to say the truth just year maybe you break Hey, look d I said, no, really, so I was very happy.
Speaker 1: Jericho. I heard in an interview that you said that Tamoa has a good heart, but she's stubborn. Tell us more.
Speaker 5: Tema is that galoon. You see us like this, you think maybe tailman. She's very quiet. But when you guys don't see temor, Tema can do things so.
Speaker 3: That you people can't see.
Speaker 5: But I'm the one to see Tema that think she's doing to me or to the team. But after all the team will pointing at it's you and it's tim.
Speaker 1: Like pranks like she pulls pranks on you.
Speaker 5: Yes, sometimes in the changing room she just go and see the bond and she's so when.
Speaker 3: Some people come come out. Okay. So Temana is a stubb one.
Speaker 1: I like it, but you always end up taking the fall for her. You're the one that gets the finger pointed at you. That's that's that's sticky.
Speaker 3: They know I'm stubborn, but with tabone than me.
Speaker 1: Jericho, how have you adjusted? And you and Tamwa to living in Kansas City. It's nice, I imagine to have two African teammates, especially when you're so far from home.
Speaker 5: For me, I say in case seeds like home now. We see all of us from technical bends to plans. They like us so much by the way they take us as from this place. So me and Temo just and hell leto Africa, we just feel that home because Kansas is like they're like our family is now. Because we know that we know Labonta, Debinia and Venessa all over the coaches, they know us.
Speaker 3: We feel so happy to be here.
Speaker 5: So maybe those food from Africa in mess but other than from that, we are home.
Speaker 1: Just the food. Okay, So we got to get some fans to send you the right places in Kansas City to get good African food. Right, that will be that will be said, uh Tama. There's a lot of international talent on the current you have teammates from Brazil, Denmark, Germany, Canada, South Africa. How is it to play with people from all over the world, whether that's style of play, communication, cultural differences. Has that been difficult?
Speaker 4: Nose I Maybe to me, I lean a lot of things. It's good to be maybe different differ so you lean a lot of things. Maybe when you go back home when discussing for siblings or has able to tell him the way things happened, like maybe to another countries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's cool. Well, Lawi not exactly known as as a soccer power for the women or even the men. On the women's side, the team is still moving up in the ranks. You won the COSAFA Championship last year, which is a tournament for teams from Southern Africa, but the nation has yet to compete even in the Africa Cup, let alone other major international tournaments like the World Cup or the Olympics. What is it like playing for Malawi at the international level and you have some goals to help lead your team in bigger tournaments in the future.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if maybe I have enough support. Was in Africa don't take serious things for women so the way here they do. But in countries like that, so you can improve usself. I remember better teams they may be national teams. It was here young Italian in Africa, a little play as we played do But if.
Speaker 3: You don't, government don't help so much like that. Just focus with your boys, not to women's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like the success that African players are having in the NWSL and other international leagues will certainly help try to bring attention to the fact that there is so much talent that could be fostered if there were resources and money put behind it. I know when the case current was in Washington, d C. In August, the Malawian embassy actually held the reception to honor you your contributions to soccer, to celebrate your role as an ambassador for the country. What does it mean to have your home country support your career, particularly because when you started, you and your sister, it wasn't really something your parents wanted you to do.
Speaker 3: It means a lot to us.
Speaker 4: They may be we are putting a content them up, so maybe some teams will start stating some players from Africa, so from Malawi, from Kenya, from Zambia, like that was players in Africa, we're doing good and maybe blabb blah banda Lesti.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a lot of players are doing good.
Speaker 4: Here in say so, I think the team the start stating players from Africa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jericho, Kenya's national team has a similar history. You're currently the captain of that squad. What are your hopes for that program going forward? For me.
Speaker 5: Much, I say, I think they should put more impact to the women's football to in Africa because it's different African and these maybe us the way the girls they treat the girls professionals, so in Africa, well like that, professionals and the government should be the treats equal, whether it's women's or men, so that we can grow football talent so that other team they will like let us go and search for another player, another Chawinga in Malawi. Maybe you can find good player or another goggle from Keane.
Speaker 3: So that is the football g like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Jericho is there's somebody in this league, in the NWSL that you look to other than Timoa to say they're doing amazing things. I like how they play. Did you say not tie other than Timoa obviously tam wah. But what about anybody else for me in our team? No, just any.
Speaker 3: Team for me?
Speaker 5: Let me say sibly inspare me a lot playing good food?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, good, good answer. Good ambassador of Kenya here not wanting to ruffle any feathers Temoa. How about someone from another team that you watch that you like how they play?
Speaker 3: For me to say the truth, I just like the defender. Noch is a good defender.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Naomi Germa you wish to play, so she's first?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: Okay. Final question? What country has better food? Kenya or Malawi?
Speaker 4: Their food is just similar Gali as we called Sima and ken So it's just same foods, same food.
Speaker 1: Okay, so no no argument there, It's just the same no, no, no.
Speaker 3: The same.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on an amazing season so far. We look forward to the playoffs and to coming to your home arena for the championship that you might be in. If you have something to say about it, Thank you so much for the time.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thanks.
Speaker 1: So much to Time one Jericho for hopping on something. Tells me I could get an actual battle going on that whole Kenya versus Malawi food thing. I think they kept it cute there. We got to take another break when we return more from my nights celebrating fifty years of the Women's Sports Foundation. Welcome back, y'all. As I told you last week, I attended the incredible Women's Sports Foundation fiftieth anniversary celebration at Brionni Wall Street in New York, and I got to witness a beautiful and powerful celebration of just how far we've come in the decade since Billy Jean King founded the organization. By the way, shout out to my friend Jackie Pepper. It turns out she was one of the main architects and editors of those amazing videos I told you about spotlighting the news events, social issues, and major women's sports highlights from each decade. That was truly a bright spot of the night, Along with seeing and hearing from some of the very best of all time, among them US women's national team great Tobin Heath. She was on hand to present the ninety nine Ers soccer team with the twenty twenty four Wilma Rudolph Courage Award. On the twenty fifth anniversary of their big World Cup win. Tobin spoke of how women athletes of all generations are sort of woven together in a way, working for more opportunity, equity, coverage, and respect, and during her remarks she proved that those ties go way back. Calling to the stage eighty seven year old Lucinda Williams, a teammate of Wilma Rudolph's in the nineteen sixty Olympics when they set a world record and one gold in the four by one hundred meter relay. Quick refresher on Wilma Rudolph in case you needed She overcame childhood pneumonia, scarlet fever, and polio and had to wear a leg brace until she was twelve years old when she learned how to walk correctly again. In high school, she got into basketball and track and field, and she went on to win a bronze medal in the nineteen fifty six Olympics and then became the first American woman to win three gold medals in track and field during a single Olympic Games in nineteen sixty. She became a role model for black and female athletes, elevated women's track and field in the US and went on to become a civil rights and women's rights pioneer. So her teammate Lucinda Williams shared a story from before that relay race. Rudolph had already won two individual golds and really wanted to get golds for her teammates too. Here's Lucinda.
Speaker 3: She said, I want you.
Speaker 7: And Barbara and Matha to get a whole merit.
Speaker 1: Just get the baton to me. And that's what we did. And when it was.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 7: And when it was all said and done, we got the baton tour who we broke the royal record forty four point five And from this day to forever, I shall ever be grateful. But before I leave this stand, I want to say thank you to Billy Jean King.
Speaker 8: I want to say thank you to Alana, and I want to say thank you to the Women's Sports Foundation, because without sports and athletics for girls and women, I would not be standing on this dage tonight.
Speaker 3: So thank you.
Speaker 2: Sorry, It'sinda, it's been such a pleasure getting to know you and Wilma sounds like my favorite number nine's just get the ball to them in those score.
Speaker 9: To hear about your time on the US Olympic team with Wilma Rudolph gives us such a powerful connection to her and reinforces why the Foundation continues to bestow this award that bears her.
Speaker 1: Name after Tobin Heath brought up the ninety nine ers. Goalkeeper Brianna Scury was one of the players on hand to accept the award. Here's a bit of what she had to say about the legacy of the ninety nine ers.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much. I'm deeply honored to be here tonight to accept the Wilma Rudolph Courage Award on behalf of my teammates, the ninety nine ers. It's hard to believe that twenty five years have passed since that unforgettable day at the Rose Bowl. I can still feel the weight of that moment standing in the goal during the penalty kick shootout. Even at that time, our team knew it wasn't just a game. It was an opportunity to define something far bigger than ourselves. It wasn't just about winning a World Cup. It was about redefining the way people perceive women's sports in this country. Looking back, what fills me with the most pride isn't a gold medal, A World Cup trophy or any of our victories on the field. It's the bond we've built as a team. It's the sisterhood that still stands strong today, and the way we used our platform to create real change for future generations.
Speaker 3: Our journey was never just about soccer.
Speaker 6: It was about breaking barriers and inspiring others to dream bigger. I want to express my deepest gratitude to the Women's Sports Foundation for this incredible honor, and to all of you here tonight, thank you for your unwavering support. Like the ninety nine ers did twenty five years ago, I encourage each of you to use your voice to stand up for what's right and to keep paving the way for those who follow in your footsteps, much like Billy Jean King did with Julie Foudy years and years ago. In nineteen ninety three or nineteen ninety four, Julie said she met Billy Jean King and explained to her the situation that the team was in. She said, Billy Jean, what should we do? Billy Jean said to Julie, I don't know what are you going to do? What are you going to do?
Speaker 1: Is that the right?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: They gonna get it.
Speaker 6: What are you going to do about that? Billy Jean King, as you all know, is an amazing leader, a trailblazer for so many of us here, but also for this nineteen ninety nineteen I don't know how far we vod gotten without her if she hadn't had the conversation with Julie, if she had to put it on Julie to make the team make a stand. And because of that timeless advice, here we are today in front of you and inspiring players like Tobin Keath to do the same. So thank you Women's Sports Foundation for this amazing award, and thank you Billy Jane Jane.
Speaker 1: From nineteen sixty to nineteen ninety nine to twenty twenty four, we continue to weave the tale of great women athletes and women's sports, and we're happy that this show is a part of continuing to tell those stories. And it was so cool to get to be a part of that night. Thank you again to the Women's Sports Foundation for that, and thank you for listening. We love that you're listening, but we do want to get you in the game every day too. So here's our good game play of the day. We got a couple today. First, a reminder you got to watch episode one of the off season on Twitter slash x. If the premiere is any indication this show might be better than any reality TV US folks here at good game I've ever seen. And the deleted scene that they released, did you see that stuck elevator confessions and peace during slide tackles? I love it injected into my veins. Also, last night was opening night for the twenty twenty four MNBA season, and one of the biggest storylines is Lebron James and his son Bronni playing for the Los Angeles Lakers together. An incredible feat and we've seen a handful of big name father son duos in pro sports, not at the same time, of course, but it's always fun to fuel your age. When you hear about Vladimir Guerrero junior, Marvin Harrison junior, Frank Gore junior, and thinking about those father sons got me thinking, are there any great mother daughter duos in sports? We know a couple, but we want you to chime in too. Not necessarily a duo that played together Lebron and Bronnie are crazy for that, but just a prominent female athlete whose daughter got all those sporty genes and excelled to It's tougher to find on the women's side because you know the delayed start to most pro leagues and opportunities. But if you know of a great mother daughter sports duo, hit us up at Sarah Spain on Twitter at Spain two three two three on Insta or on email good game at wondermedianetwork dot com, or leave us a voicemail eight seven two to a four fifty seventy. And while you're at it, you know what I'm going to say, don't forget to subscribe, rate and review. It's real easy slices. Watch Nafisa Collier putting a picture of a clear foul in the finals in her end of season Instagram post, rating five out of five petty points review. Now, I told you all, I'm a red ass, problematically competitive people, and this just confirms that Fee is one of us, and I love it. I knew she had a dinner even after her failed trash talk about ending Dinah Tarassi's career in the first round of the playoffs. Remember she kind of backtracked off that, oh, I wasn't try to talk shit you were, and I'm proud of you Fee. Oh and speaking of Tarassi, by the way, her teammate Brittany Grinder commented under Kllier's post that quote anyone that watches the w knows when you play in Minnesota, you not about to get any call end quote. You know you're never gonna get everybody to agree when officiating is the topic at hand. Proud of you, Fee. Now it's your turn rate and review. Thanks for listening. See you tomorrow. Slices, Good game, Temwa, good game, Jericho. Fuck you people who still find ways to say women's sports are born. You gotta be shitting me. We are getting fed. We are eating. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network, our producers are Alex Azzie and Misha Jones. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jesse Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Britney Martinez, Grace Lynch, and Lindsay Cradowell Production assistants from Lucy Jones and I'm Your Host Sarah Spain.