Speaker 1: Welcome to off the Cup with me, se Cup. It's the week of July fourth and America's two hundred and fiftieth birthday, and I don't know if you're planning to head down to Trump's Great American State Fair, but be advised. I hear the crowds are just unmanageable. There's so many people down there, covering every inch of the mall, which is nice and big, which is a good thing, because it's packed. Everyone looks like they're having so much fun. Just kidding, it's empty. It's empty. Have you seen the pictures? Have you seen the videos? My god, I've seen bigger crowds at a Renaissance fair. And that is no dis to Renaissance fairs. They're great.
Speaker 2: They're just you know, a couple hundred people.
Speaker 1: I've seen more people having a good time at a Billy McFarland festival. I've seen more excitement at a poetry reading. What is going on down there? Seriously, it's been such a dud. And I guess as we actually get into July fourth, you know, it could fill up. Maybe people aren't starting their vacations yet. But my god, the videos I saw over the weekend and on Monday and Tuesday they were sad FM. You remember how many artists dropped out of the concert that was planned, Well, that was sort of like the first.
Speaker 2: Bad news.
Speaker 1: There have been power outages that have melted the food haul ice cream. There's been empty booths, rain delays, feuding event planners. The Trump administration has spent ninety million dollars on security, sixty eight million dollars on the event. States have to pay big Bucks to build their own exhibits, but a bunch of them, like Connecticut and Again and others, have just opted out.
Speaker 2: They don't want to be a part of this. They don't want to spend this money.
Speaker 1: They don't want to participate in an event they're worried is going to be super political. And that's probably smart to opt out, because did you see what happened at the North Carolina State booth. Someone put a Confederate flag on the display screens, like the governor had to get involved.
Speaker 2: What are we doing? What are we doing.
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: This doesn't make me happy to see this event be a failure.
Speaker 2: I like it when America wins.
Speaker 1: I like it when Americans feel good about America.
Speaker 2: And the truth of the matter is we just don't.
Speaker 1: And we have a brand new poll to prove it again. This doesn't make me happy. New report from Gallup shows American pride has fallen to a twenty five year low. Just thirty three percent of adults say they're extremely proud to be an American. Now, that's shocking and sad, and it should give, you know, the sitting president and his party reason for concern.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it does not, but it should. It's the two hundred.
Speaker 1: And fiftieth birthday of our nation. We should all be feeling great about who we are and how we got here.
Speaker 2: I just don't think we do.
Speaker 1: You know, if you want to hear people talking positively about America, they're out there.
Speaker 2: They're just not Americans.
Speaker 1: Have you seen all the videos and news footage and tiktoks of World Cup fans from around the world talking about how pleasantly surprised they are at how great America is.
Speaker 2: It's so heartwarming to see our country through.
Speaker 1: Someone else's eyes and to have that experience be a positive one. That's not always the case, right, and especially you know, certainly in this Trump term, with all of his fights with our allies and wanting to invade our allies like Canada and Greenlad. You know, we don't hear foreigners talking very positively about America right now.
Speaker 2: I get it so to see these fans come over.
Speaker 1: And talk about how great our food is, how great our stadiums are, how beautiful our national parks are, and how nice our people are, Like I love.
Speaker 2: I've been going down.
Speaker 1: Rabbit holes with these videos because they just feel good, and I want to pretend. I want to put myself in their shoes for a minute and pretend I was born here. I haven't grown up here. I don't cover American politics. I don't know, you know everything there is to know right about being an American because I am one. I'm trying to pretend I don't have that vantage point. And I'm just coming over here and looking at us as a stranger. And it's a really nice view, actually, because when we're not talking about politics and how terribly our government is being run, how bad our leaders are, how corrupt our politicians are, how much we hate each other, how mad at each other we are, when we just look at our great country, there's a lot to be proud of. But this is the problem, that thing right there.
Speaker 2: We can't do that. We cannot take politics out of any thing. It feels like.
Speaker 1: I came across the social media post yesterday from a woman that I don't know. She's not famous, she doesn't have a ton of followers. That's not the point. But the post got picked up by various social media outlets and accounts because, I think.
Speaker 2: Because it was so sad.
Speaker 1: She posted a photo of her and a bunch of ladies I imagine friends or family in like red, white, and blue outfits. A couple of them are holding adorable kiddos. They're outside at Lake Powell, which is beautiful. There's also she posts a fun video of someone kiteboarding on the lake.
Speaker 2: The day looks awesome.
Speaker 1: It's fun in the sun, it's bathing suits, it's lake classic, all American fun, enjoying our beautiful our beautiful land and resources.
Speaker 2: But her caption.
Speaker 1: On this beautiful post is like everything that's wrong with American politics today. She writes, do Democrats have more fun at Lake Powell than we do?
Speaker 2: I seriously doubt it. What does that mean?
Speaker 1: What does that even mean? Can democrats not have fun in the sun? What are you talking about? Now? I'm sure she didn't think that hard about it. It's not that deep. She just did it because it's content. But like, this is the brain rot that so many of us are experiencing right now. We can't even go on a vacation or have a weekend with our friends and family.
Speaker 2: Without both.
Speaker 1: Making a political statement about it and using that political statement to ding the other side. What do you mean do Democrats have as much fun at Lake Powell as we do? This is nonsense, This is garbage. This is designed to turn Americans against each other.
Speaker 2: And if this is the world view.
Speaker 1: Of this woman, and I bet millions of Americans, I don't think she is unique at all. And I don't think this is just on the right, although I think it's mostly on the right, But this happens on the left too, where like politics becomes your entire identity, your entire personality, it guides everything you do.
Speaker 2: I just can't imagine living.
Speaker 1: In that kind of prison and feeling good about posting my friends and family having a great time and making it political us versus them. We have more fun than you have. It's so silly and trip but it's not really right. This is not a deep post. This wasn't the worst thing I've ever heard someone say to someone. She again, she's not famous, she doesn't have a platform. I'm not naming her because I'm not trying to punch down. This isn't about some lady on Twitter. This is about all of us and the way we see our lives. If you have made decisions about where you send your kids to school, kind of carry drive, kind of clothes you wear, kind of TV shows you watch, what kind of things you buy, kind of Fuji, kind of vacationis you.
Speaker 2: Take based on politics?
Speaker 1: Well, you're not alone, but I would just encourage you to be introspective for us.
Speaker 2: Second, is it good that politics is defining our lives?
Speaker 1: I'm not talking about caring about politics because of policies that impact your life. Of course, worse, of course, we should all do that. We should all be engaged enough in the political system to care about and affect change around issues that matter to us. I don't know what issue this woman was fighting for when she posted do Democrats have more fun than we do?
Speaker 2: At Lake Powell?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: The kind of political costume that you never take off, that guides the way you live your life outwardly the way you talk to people, the way you interact with people, the way you see people. Well, I see people as Republicans and Democrats us in them. They don't have as much fun we are. We love the country more than you do. I mean, this is sick, This is corrosive, This is bad for us.
Speaker 2: Can we not do this?
Speaker 1: I don't like it, and believe me, I do not excuse the professionals in my business, the media, from engaging in this. The media does and us versus them kind of thing more than it should, agreed, But like when you're just off on vacation and taking pics of your family, can you can we not make it about everyone else you hate? Can we just make it about how much you love your family and your loving life?
Speaker 2: And right?
Speaker 1: Why does it have to be about your enemies? Why are identifying enemies? Why is that more important than identifying our friends?
Speaker 2: Why do we want to be known more by who our enemies are than by who our friends are? I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't we be defined by the people we stand up for, not the people we stand up against. Alone, Right, that's important too, but they can't be the only thing that matters.
Speaker 2: That we all hate the right people.
Speaker 1: I think that's so much of what drives mega, that Trump hates all the right people, and that he's convinced the Republican Party to hate all the right people and the only thing binding them all together. Because it's not principles, it's not policies, it's not even really politics. It's just that they hate all the right things, they hate all the right people, and that is so gross, that is so bad for us.
Speaker 4: I hate it.
Speaker 1: So please do me a favor. Go enjoy your families this holiday weekend. Go enjoy life, have popsicles, have hot dogs, swim in lakes safely and responsibly, light fireworks, enjoy your pets.
Speaker 2: I hope for everyone. Are it's sunny like Do that for you. Believe me. Politics will be waiting when you return.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're not going anywhere, but we can't keep doing this to ourselves.
Speaker 2: It's not good for us. It really isn't.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not the holiday yet, so we're still talking politics here when we come back. A new book, The Trump Realignment, How Donald D. Trump Redefined the American Party System, looks at Trump's hostile takeover of the Republican Party. You know, that's right up my alley, So I'll talk to the author next. Welcome back to Off the Cup. I'm pleased to welcome Kirby Guideal, co author of the new book The Trump Realignment, How Donald J. Trump Redefined the American party system. Welcome Kirby.
Speaker 3: Glad to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is.
Speaker 1: Maybe unsurprisingly a topic that's occupied my mind for the past ten years. Right as you can imagine, I'm a former Republican, I'm still a conservative. I came up in the conservative movement. What Trump managed to do both to the movement and the party is bonkers, bananas, impressive, lamentable, all the things. And I, along with many of my like minded colleagues, have been attempting to figure out just how Trump managed to take over the Republican Party in a relatively short period of time and so completely.
Speaker 2: We all have our theories. What is yours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty remarkable story. And one of the things we wanted to do when writing a book was we felt like lots of people were talking about norm violations and democratic and all that sort of stuff, but people weren't telling this part of the story. And what's remarkable was his transformation into this party leader who sort of defied conventional wisdom about how you up rate within a party, Like if you look at sort of traditional ways that leaders might look, they say, yeah, we really need to win, so go out and be there on your own and don't be loyal to me. Do what you need to win so we maintain control. Trump completely rejected that and went after anyone who was disloyal and really has had His ability to control Republican primaries is remarkable. He's a remarkable party boss. Now, the people he puts in don't always do well.
Speaker 2: Don't always get through a general but yeah.
Speaker 3: The general election can be another thing. But in a lot of places, the way our country has gone, we now have these districts that are overwhelming Republican, are overwhelmingly democratic. So you're just replacing one Republican with another one in a district that a Democrat probably can't win in anyway.
Speaker 1: So what you're talking about right now, just to be clear, what you're talking about right now, this could have happened to any party. You're not talking specifically about what he did to Conservatism. You're talking about a guy who didn't operate the way most party leaders behave and We've seen evidence of that over ten years. We're seeing evidence of it right now with this housing bill. Right bipart is a housing bill. Democrats liked it, Republicans liked it.
Speaker 2: All he's got to do is sign it.
Speaker 1: Republicans could go back and talk about something positive.
Speaker 2: They don't have much to their constituents.
Speaker 1: He is denying them that because to your point, he doesn't behave the way party leaders behave. He doesn't seem to care about the midterms. He doesn't care about the kinds of things conventional presidents have cared about.
Speaker 2: Again, I have my.
Speaker 1: Theories as to why that is, but like, why has that been so successful for him?
Speaker 3: Well, the remarkable thing is his ability to move his base. And that's one of the other important things I think about the book is he's fundamentally changed the Republican base. He's brought in people who are different. These are folks who are not traditional Republicans. They're not small government Republicans, they're not pro free trade, and and and so what he's done is he's changed the people who make up the base of the political party. And those people go out when he tells them to go out. And so his endorsements within those primaries really really matter. But yeah, but if he didn't have control of the base, his threats wouldn't matter. It's it's the ability. Republicans are afraid that he will come out and say, don't support this particular and he's done it over and over again, and he's been successful and knocking off people who have challenged him. And and as an analyst, sometimes I watch and I'm sure you're thinking the same thing. Sometimes you're like, why don't Republicans all get together and say we're not going to take this anymore?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: But he's been really too late for that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but he just picks.
Speaker 3: Them off one by one. He's able to isolate them and and the other the other Republicans they'll say, oh, that could happen to me in the future.
Speaker 1: Instead they oh, well, I mean that is the interesting thing, because your point is correct. His brought in all kinds of new voters that you know, we really haven't seen part of the Republican coalition since Reagan. Maybe you know, Reagan won a bunch of Hispanic voters, for example, a bunch more black voters than previous Repuldicans have. But he really has the other side of that coin, though, are all the good conservatives he's kicked out so along the way in opening the tent to some unsavory characters as well, he's also shrunk of the tent, which again is like opposite of what political projects have been trying to do for centuries. Right, the project is addition, not subtraction.
Speaker 2: How has the Republican Party managed to.
Speaker 1: Win not just locally but general elections, national elections while shrinking its tent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's that's that's a great question. And and really, you know, if you're watching from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty, what you see as Trump's doing fairly well in terms of the economy up until COVID, and then he's really not a very good manager of the economy. And that's the reason he loses if he we don't have COVID. Possibly he goes on and wins during that cycle. But we live in a two party system and most of the districts aren't competitive, and so all you have to do is be not as bad as the other side. Yeah, you know, And there's another political scientist who talks about this. He calls it the two party doom loop because you don't have to be good, you just have to be better than the other side. And so in many cases he's getting an assist from the Democratic Party, which has not been very good.
Speaker 1: Right, And I do want to talk about the Democrats, because this project, this book is really how Trump sort of reordered and redefined the entire political system, not just the Republican Party.
Speaker 2: So I do want to talk about Democrats.
Speaker 1: But before we get there, I think it's really again like impressive slash lamentable depending on where you are, how Trump got conservatives to jettison the conservatism because he didn't care about it, right, So you've mentioned things like free trade, you know, lowering the debt and the deficit, limited government, all the things that I grew up with, as you know, coming into a conservative movement led by a canon of like hayek Intwtokville, and you know, the principles and founders and philosophies.
Speaker 2: He didn't care about any of that, which is his right. But how does he.
Speaker 1: Get like the nation's top deficit hawk, Mike Pence to like co sign exploding the debt and the deficit. How does he get Republican leadership to sort of say, well, forget law and order. The insurrectionists were patriots, right, all the things that had really glued us together as a big tent. Despite all of our disparate interests, we were glued together by these found acial little things. How did he get Republican leadership, not just voters leadership, to stop care about this stuff?
Speaker 3: Well, I think one, he really captures the sort of anti elite anger that a lot of people feel, and so he really embodies that. But then you also have to sort of place it in the context of where were Where were Republicans before twenty sixteen. There's this fear, right the James Carvel argument that Obama had mobilized this group of young voters and Republicans would never win again because they didn't appeal to anybody beyond this very We.
Speaker 2: Did a whole autopsy.
Speaker 1: I worked on it just to address us, to just to address those concerns continue, and so there was.
Speaker 3: That that very real fear, and Trump brought energy and mobilization back into a party that felt like, you know, it was unsure of what its future was. Now it seems really because of the autopsy, it seemed like he went opposite.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, it did went, yeah.
Speaker 3: He completely ignored the autopsy. He didn't do anything that the autopsy reckoned, and yet he still mobilized this new group of voters to come into the political party. And so you got people like, for example, Lindsey Graham, who's very negative about Trump, but then sees like, wait a second, he really is pulling new people in. Yeah, and maybe this is a ticket to power and control. And I think that's the critical trade off that Republicans made, and a lot of the elite Republicans and the conservative Republicans and the ones that I think about it fitting very well in the Reagan mode. I put Mike Pence in that group. Yeah, who said, oh, we can have power and control and maybe we can do some of these things and maybe we can keep that other stuff under control. And then they found out, now you lost control of the party.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad you brought up where Republicans were before twenty sixteen, because there's lots of reasons of look why we got Trump and how he got to Trump, but one of them, and I'm writing about this right now, is that Republicans were fractured and vulnerable, and we did that to ourselves. I remember starting like the early two thousands, we started cannibalizing the party. We started purity testing and purging and rhino hunting. This all began with the Club for Growth in the early two thousands, and then we got mad at Bush for the bailing out the banks that entered in like the Tea Party wave, and now you've got Tea Party Conservatives met at other conservatives.
Speaker 2: People forget that.
Speaker 1: When McCain and Romney were nominated, two of like the greatest candidates, most moral, decent men we could have ever put up there, they didn't win just because Obama was so great and he was. They didn't win because Republicans weren't sold on either of those guys. And so by the time twenty sixteen comes around, the party's fractured. You get seventeen other guys running, and Trump gets to win with a plurality, not even a majority of Republican voters. And I wonder, since you're writing about this right now in this great book, if you think you're seeing the Democrats do that to themselves right now, because I'm starting to see these kind of purity tests and purging inside the Democratic Party which could create the same conditions that we created for Trump.
Speaker 3: I think that's absolutely the case. Let me also, though, take us because I think one of the remarkable things about the Trump story is in that twenty sixteen election, because there were so many other candidates, I think everybody else thought he was he's a side show, he's a curious I will.
Speaker 2: Admit I did. I covered it. I did not take him seriously at all.
Speaker 3: Hey, yeah, and eventually we'll end up with Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio or one of these real conservatives. Trump was a Trump was the rhino, right, and so what part of the remarkable story is just how a effective he was and then taking that term rhino and applying it to lifelong Republicans and you're like, wow, this person spent there entire they grew up, they were cradle Republican and they've been been one of the leading voices for Republican ideology through it. And you've called him a rhino in isolated. So that's that's remarkable. And I think you're right. Part of it was that purity test that started based on ideology, but then Trump was able to take control of it and use it in ways that.
Speaker 2: Had nothing to do with principles.
Speaker 3: It was all about personal loyalty, and it's a turn the Republican Party into a very personalist party. But on the on the Democratic side, I think that's exactly what we're seeing now. We're seeing the same thing. They're fractured, they don't know what they want to be. There's this group who wants to be centrist, and there's this group that thinks, oh, we've got to be more populous than than Donald Trump. And it's hard to see where this this turns out other than a very left wing, probably democratic party because of the same things that propelled Trump. The primaries are where you can gain control of a party, and if you have someone who understands that, you can let the ideologue ideologues win or the intense activist base and you lose the sinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think people like Zoron Mumdanni do.
Speaker 3: Understand that, yeah, and absolutely.
Speaker 1: Or efforting that project, maybe like to the peril of the greater Party, maybe to the peril of the country, who knows, but like, I think they're efforting that exact project. And uh, you know, increasingly it looks like Zorn Mumdani I covered that race too, didn't really come uh to run New York.
Speaker 2: He came to remake the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: He's been there six months and already he's recruiting candidates and turning people into stars. And he's got a lot of establishment Democrats worried.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, I mean I think he kids said he understands the idea of in the primaries and taking over the party and going back to the idea of the two parties. Someone told me we were talking about this the other day and they're like, oh, but he could never win nationally. I'm but here's the problem. We don't know who can win nationally. Because if the country, if Republicans are leading the country and the country's in bad economic shape, the country will turn to Democrats, right almost whoever they offer, right, because context matters a whole lot in elections. Ideology and candidacies and campaigns all matter too. So I don't want to I don't want to downplay that. Yeah, but at the end of the day, if things are bad and people want change, they will vote for change, even if the change is worse. Right.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, let's talk about the Democrats, because you you say that. Trump also sort of transformed the left. He forced the left to respond to Trump We've watched that. We've watched I've watched the left kind of struggle to figure out how to respond, and they've tried a lot of different kinds of things. Right, They've tried beating him at his own game, you know, the mean tweets. They've tried, like policy answers to his policy answers, some of which I would argue were not successful.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I think when Joe Biden came in and undid Trump's remain in Mexico policy and opened the borders, however well intentioned that was, that actually practically didn't go very well. They've tried all kinds of things, I think in twenty twenty two successfully in the midterms. They tried a different midterm message, He's for this, we're for democracy, we're for women's rights. That worked in a midterm, it didn't work in twenty twenty four. What kind of ways do you argue Trump has changed the left?
Speaker 3: I think the big thing is that the left sort of almost on autopilot, just responds to everything that Trump does. He is the center of gravity, and if he says something, they feel compelled to jump in on it. So you're always fight The one thing that I think Trump has been really really effective at you have to give him credit for is he makes you fight on his back, on his on.
Speaker 2: His Yeah, totally, because he says.
Speaker 3: Something and then you're like, oh, I can't let him say that.
Speaker 2: I got to chase that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got to go fight that because I've got to stand up for my print. And instead of instead of sort of are instead of articulating a queer agenda about what the party is about, they've been responding to Trump. Also, they have become really a party of I'll say this as a college professor. They're a party of college professors, and you know, and they're they're the party of the And we've seen this remarkable shift over time where in the eighties Ronald Reagan won more college educated voters than than the Democrats were running in nineteen with Jimmy Carter. Carter, we've seen this just remarkable shift of a college educated into the Democratic Party and the non college educated into the Republican Party. Well, there aren't as many college educated voters out there, so the Democrats are in a place where they believe often that oh, if we just educate people, they'll agree with us.
Speaker 1: Sure, and the whole Thomas Frank, what's the matter with Kansas projects.
Speaker 2: This is a flawed project.
Speaker 1: Don't do this right, Like, don't tell voters they're voting against their economic interests and they're stupid and if only they were smarter, they'd vote the way we wanted them to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that was sort of the Biden realize the economy is much better. Yes, I think it is.
Speaker 1: Why are you lagging indicators? It's just lagging indicators. You haven't felt it yet. But it's good, we promise, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And they have to get away from that, right, and they have to have some message beyond oh, let us explain to you why you're wrong.
Speaker 1: Why your life is actually better than you feel it is. No, that was a failing project. That's politics, one on one. I'm glad you brought up the the sort of intellectual that was once foundational to the right. It wasn't just Reagan. It happened, you know, in the sixties with Barry Goldwater and Iron Rand and the sort of intelligentsia cocktail parties in Manhattan were populated.
Speaker 2: By conservative thought leaders.
Speaker 1: That's all gone, but there was sort of an intellectual foundation to conservatism some time ago. I think what people want to know, whatever side of this you're on, they want to know, for Democrats, for Republicans, for trump Ism, for Maga, how much of what we're seeing today is permanent?
Speaker 2: How much of this can be undone?
Speaker 1: If you're a Democrat worried about sort of the socialism, you know, socialism wing, can some of that be undone? If you're a conservative you want like a Romney to rise again or a Kinsinger to come in, how much of what has happened is fixable?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think the good news is nothing in American politics is permanent.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: Things are constantly changing and evolving and moving in new directions. And I think that's one of the things that I love about talking about politics, right is we never know yet we think we know, but then we learn say, oh wow, we had no idea what was about to happen? And that makes it super exciting. On the negative side is I think change is much slower than most people want, want and expect and are planned for. And so a lot of the changes that we see that Trump has made, I think both to the Democratic Party and the Republican Party in terms of how we reset the parties, They're not going to change probably in twenty twenty eight. It may not change in twenty third, they're going to start changing, right. I think in twenty twenty eight you're going to see someone from the traditional Republican party challenge the Trump wing of the Republican bos. If I'm predicting, they're going to lose because the magabase is still too big and still too important. So unless it's just a really charismatic person who can then I think it's probably not going to have happened.
Speaker 2: Before you.
Speaker 1: Let me stop you there, because what about this. Sure, I don't think an establishment Republican could beat a mega Republican in twenty twenty to eight either. But what I'm also starting to see is this mega alternative lane, Like Tucker Carlson and Mergerie Taylor Green are trying to build this mega alternative lane, and they're trying to basically telegraph to mega voters, we're the real deal. He's the Charlatan. He promised America first. We're America first. He got us into a war that we would never have done. He says, He's Christians. We're the real Christian Americans. We're the real Judeo Christian sort of you know, muscular Christian wing, where where all the things he promised you he would be. Can a person like that who is still pulling from the MAGA base?
Speaker 2: Could a person like that win in twenty twenty eight?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I think so? Yeah, I think because if you look at where Trump's approval rating is going down, and this is this is one of the real challenges with the with the book as well. What if Trump is a failure in terms of governing, which he looks like he's running in the you know, lots of issues. Yeah, he's not dealing with affordability, he has not been America first in the international world and especially with Iran, and so there are lots of these issues that he's gone against his base with. So can you have someone come back in and say, yes, I'm the real MAGA Right, I think that's I think that's really possible. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting, And then just to button this up and get back to the original, the original point. The two words you use in this title are realignment and redefine. Can we I know you said it will take time, but what are the kinds of things you think America will want realigned and redefined when Trump is gone?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think, Well, let me not answer that part exactly. Let me say instead just that I think you're going to have the continual fights over the future of the political parties. So you will see the fight over the future of the Republican Party and the fight over the future of the Democratic Party. But I think the big challenge right now is really how if we see what's going on in the Democratic Party, if that continues, and if the MAGA control of the Republican base continues, what happens to the center of American politics? And by cena, maybe I shouldn't even use center because I don't really like the term, because I don't know what that is. But my school never trump Republicans who were like I want small government. I believe in ideology, I believe in I believe in intellectual approaches to how we think about government.
Speaker 1: What happened and moderate Democrats and right and what happens to them?
Speaker 3: What happens to those voters? And I think that's what I'm watching for, is can the system accommodate the center or do we increasingly move to the fringes. So I don't think I'm giving you a very good answer, but that's I.
Speaker 1: Mean, that is the big question, and it feels like the answers be the parties are going to keep moving to the to the fringes and leave a lot of us in the in. I don't like the middle either the center either, because that makes it sort of like a geographical uh or you know, sort of like position in between the left and the right, and it's almost transcends all of that where we all are. But yeah, and I wonder, you know, for those of us who feel orphaned, Yeah, we're a majority, you know, who talks for us, who represents us? And how do we get you know, I don't think third party is the answer. Unfortunately, I'd love it to be, but just practically that doesn't generally work out. What happens to us is there's a court of sort of like populist uprising from the from the center, from the from the moderates.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think something eventually has to give, yeah, right, because the system can continue to defray to the edges without the center being, without the center having a voice.
Speaker 1: But I'm wondering, if you, if you look back historically, was there another time where our parties were like this?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm thinking back to the.
Speaker 1: Time of maybe like the half breeds, like Garfield's time, when the Republican Party was fractured, the Democrats a little less so. But like I'm wondering if there's a historical reference point for our parties being kind of to the extremes and a majority feeling left out?
Speaker 2: Has that? Have we done that before?
Speaker 3: I think this particular period is unique that way. But I think maybe if we were going to draw a historical parallel, I would probably put it into the you know, the eighteen nineties and the age of industrialization where everything economically corrupted. Yeah, and so then you have this period of Republican rule for thirty years with the only you know, time was when the Republican Party is divided so Woodrow Wilson can become president. But but yeah, but I think what we have now with especially with AI, especially with with all the technological shift, is real disruption going on in the economic world that the political system is is just not caught up with.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. I'm not done with you yet. But the book is the Trump Realignment, how Donald J. Trump redefined the American party system. But before I let you go, we like to end with an exit poll, and it's a series of questions of varying degrees of seriousness. So if you don't mind indulging, this is how we get to know a little bit more about you. What's your favorite book about politics, except, you know, aside from your own.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's that's that's a that's a great question, I think. I Well, I could give you two answers, but I'll give you more. I'll give you the more fun one.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Animal Farm is the greatest book about politics ever ever written. And the idea of what ultimately happens to every revolution and every movement is that it becomes the power in you know, yes, I think it's I think it's absolutely fantastic in terms of.
Speaker 2: And it should be postics must read.
Speaker 1: But did you see they're making a cartoon like an animated animal farm?
Speaker 3: No, no, yes.
Speaker 1: Listen to this Kirby Animated Animal Farm, starring Seth Rogan, Andy Serkis, Jim Parsons, Kieran Colkan, Woody Harrelson.
Speaker 2: Glenn Close, Steve Bushman. Like this is a real.
Speaker 1: Movie about one of like the darkest warnings, uh in modern political history. Right, but let's turn it into an animated romp.
Speaker 3: I'm I now have something on my watch this.
Speaker 2: Well, you must, you must, you must. Okay, what's the best July fourth food stuff?
Speaker 3: Oh? Wow?
Speaker 2: I told you varying degrees of seriousness.
Speaker 3: I mean it is. It is hard to beat Texas barbecue.
Speaker 2: Love it. Let's talk Texas. Where do you go?
Speaker 3: I'd go full brisket. I know a lot of people fight over what's the best. I haven't had any that I thought was bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are you based in Texas?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean College Station, Texas.
Speaker 1: So yeah, okay, so you got lucky. You were very lucky. I like blacks. Blacks has been my jam.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: When I'm out that way, it's really good. Okay, great. Who's your favorite president?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: That's that's another good one, because favor is such a such an odd word when you talk. I know, so I so I'll throw instead.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna reward the question and say you're the presidence presidents that I'm fascinated by. I am fascinated by Lyndon Johnson because of his desire to create a great society and his overreach and then his his failures in Vietnam and how it's just sort of almost Shakespearean. I'm fascinated by Richard Nixon and especially with J. D. Vance is about comment about Watergate. You do wonder like what if Nixon had just floughted out because he was a pretty good I think he's a very underrated president because of the water dates, which right, other than water date, I mean, it's I think that's funny kind of.
Speaker 2: On papers were into high point either.
Speaker 3: But sure, yeah, yeah, he was a little he was a little paranoid, but he might have had nineteen sixty elections stolen from him, so you know, and then and then I'm also fascinated with Bill Quinton. And part of the reason is Bill Quinton, I think was a remarkably successful president, whomed Democrats never claimed, you know, like hes eight years as president, and then and then all throughout, Like if we look at twenty sixteen when Hillary Clinton is running against the Sanders, Sanders is basically running against the Bill Clinton legacy. Unlike on the Republican side, where you have, you know, a Ronald Reagan, and every Republican after Ronald Reagan wants to be Ronald Reagan. Yeah, no one wanted to be Bill Clinton after Bill Clinton. Gore wanted to be Bill Clinton after right, right, And it's kind of a I think it's an interesting because that was a that was a pretty good period in terms of the economy, in terms of the world, and maybe we give too much credit to presidents for those types of things. But but but it's a it's a neat. I think I'm just fascinated with with why. And we know that because scandal, Right.
Speaker 1: So he did, but putting let's put the scandals in the personality aside. Today you'd have to run as a Republican right on a lot of the like the workfair, the doma. I mean, there are a lot of things he did that you could not do, just like a year after he was out of office as a Democrat that he did And uh, I think I think that's probably part of it.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, Oh and one more if I can think, just because I'm at the Bush school, I also think HW Bush was underrated as a president and much of the success since I just mentioned Bill Clinton, a lot of it was set up by some of the decisions that HW made, especially on the tax issue, and helped set up Clinton for success and it and it hurt his chances for re election.
Speaker 4: It did, it did?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, which party is going to elect the next president?
Speaker 3: If you have to bet right now, you bet on the Democrats. But okay, but that's assuming a lot we tend not like really, I think it's going to be a time for change election. I think Democrats will be better positioned. But Democrats also are showing this tendency to potentially go too far out to the stream, and they could and so yeah, so all things considered, I'd put my money on the Democrats at this moment, but not with any certainty.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: Uh, fireworks or parade, you can only save one.
Speaker 3: Oh, fireworks definitely though that they though they do scare the dogs and you do worry about fires, especially in dry places.
Speaker 2: So yes, okay.
Speaker 1: Last question, It's very important to me, and we ask it at the end of every pod.
Speaker 2: When is it iced coffee season?
Speaker 3: Kirby never, Yeah, coffee should always be scolding hot.
Speaker 1: Just broke my heart a little. The correct answer is year round. Ice coffee season is year round. But I understand. Listen, I am this is a podcast of strong coffee tape. I appreciate your strong incorrect strong coffee.
Speaker 3: Take it. It should always burn your mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not alone.
Speaker 4: You're not alone.
Speaker 1: You're wrong, but you're not alone. Kirby, thank you so much. This was a great conversation. Thanks for coming on and talking about your book. Good luck with it.
Speaker 3: Oh well, thank you so much for having me. It's been a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd love to have you back on to talk about other things as we moved through this crazy election year.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that would be great.
Speaker 1: Before we go. When we get back after the break, I've.
Speaker 2: Got a little something extra for you, so stick around. Welcome back to Off the Cup.
Speaker 1: Okay, before we go, I just wanted to talk about the thing we talked about earlier, which is pride in America and how we're feeling. And I think last week I talked a little bit about how complicated our feelings may be right now. Where we want to have a great July fourth weekend, we want to celebrate the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of our great nation, but a lot of us aren't happy with where we're at right now. And we can hold both of those things at the same time. But I was talking to my producer, Lauren, whom you may know from our other podcast, talk and coffee, and she was telling me about a great idea she had. So Lauren joined by Lauren and Derek, my great producers, Lauren talk about what you're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I had this in mind about like feeling a little apprehensive about the upcoming big birthday anniversary that we had and wanting to figure out, like what is a way that I could celebrate this anniversary That felt kind of what you're saying, like of two things holding both things. And I was reading this really great why novel called We Are Not Free by Tracy ch My like eight year old randomly picked it up and it's not for eight year olds.
Speaker 2: So I read it.
Speaker 5: And it's about the Japanese incarceration.
Speaker 2: Why Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: It was at the Japanese incarceration, told through like each chapter is a new teenager. So they lived in Japantown and they were taken and they're living in all the different camps and moved around, and I was.
Speaker 2: This is a World War two and the World War two?
Speaker 5: Yes, sorry, And I was so taken by these personal experiences. And then she has this whole little thing at the background at the back that sort of says these are based on my family's recollections, et cetera. And I was so taken by this and just wanted to know. I mean, obviously I knew about it, but had never dove that deep. And so I came across this podcast by Rachel Maddow called Burn Order, which is actually about this entire thing. It was about how did FDR, a Democratic president Yeah, sign this executive order to take one hundred and twenty thousand Japanese ancestors, most of whom were American citizens and put them into these camps, imprisoned them for more than two years and beyond and what were the effects of that?
Speaker 2: And so the podcast is fantastic.
Speaker 5: I highly recommend it, But at the end she's sort of trying to get to where did we how did we evolve past this? How did the Japanese Americans get past this? And there was this period where some of the uh incarcerated had started doing these little like protests and gatherings, and it got consistent enough where they made some headway with various presidents, like there was some influence and overall concern. They were concerned that this sort of zombie executive order could come back to life at any time, which is totally fair.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So during the bi centennial, so nineteen seventy six, then President Gerald Ford made this proclamation, which is like a public announcement essentially that basically was an apology to Japanese Americans for this terrible thing that happened. And what I was so struck by was the language he used. He was basically like, listen, we're celebrating the two hundredth birthday. That is fantastic. There's so much to celebrate. But a real honest reckoning also is us facing our mistakes and that can be very difficult, but the only way to sort of move forward is to acknowledge what we've done wrong. And I was like, oh, heavy sigh, Like if only our current president. Like also I was just thinking, like gosh, there's so many things that come to mind when I think about, like, ooh, what would I love our country to acknowledge was a mistake and try to work to fix, you know, all those sort of repercussions that come.
Speaker 2: And I also think of it as a parent.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm like an incredibly imperfect human and blow up at my kids sometimes and like the best thing I can do is sort of later on be like, you know what, I'm so sorry that was I was frustrated.
Speaker 2: It's not your fault.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to work on it to show that, like we're all afallible. And so I wanted to basically like start a letter writing campaign.
Speaker 2: So this is this is what I did.
Speaker 5: Tell me Ford's Ford's proclamation was called an American promise, So I thought, like, what if we did two hundred and fifty American promises? And the idea is to acknowledge something that you love about America that makes you feel prideful, and acknowledge or list something that you wish America as a country would acknowledge was a mistake and work to fix. So the idea that what you said and what Ford basically says, like both things can be true. And yeah, so it's like a template that you can download and write or submit digitally or audio or video and it's and and the point is to try to boil it down to one thing. And when I did it, I have this little community group and we did it. It was a bunch of parents and kids, and it was really fun to do it with the kids. And also so I found it like actually like a nice, thoughtful experiment for myself, like what like really trying to acknowledge, like what does make me feel proud about America that feels unique? And also like what would be the one thing that I would love for America to acknowledge and learn to, you know.
Speaker 2: Fix or whatever.
Speaker 5: Anyway, it felt like a really thoughtful experiment and I open it up like it's very much like I wanted it to go further than my little community, and it's really for everyone. What I love about the historic model is that that was FDR was a Democratic president, Gerald Ford was Republican, and that proclamation paved the way for Reagan to do actual reparations for the sixty thousand Japanese Americans who were left who were affected by those camps. So it's really it's it's meant to be like bipartisan. It's really just like who are we as Americans? Kind of what you're saying, like separate from politics, like right.
Speaker 2: Which is yeah, but yeah, yeah, no. I love this.
Speaker 1: I mean I love this for you, I love this for kids, I love this for all of us.
Speaker 2: Like this is such a great idea.
Speaker 1: Is there is there a call out? Can people go and find this and do this themselves.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, so I made a website with the help of Claude. It is very exciting, and my lovely neighbor liz Anheart made our logo, so it's super cute and looks official. But the website is called two hundred and fifty American Promises two five zero dot org. And in there you can either answer basically you're answering these two questions. You can answer them in a digital form, or you can download the template and kind of take a photo, or you can like send me an audio message, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 6: But yeah, great, so that's two hundred and fifty Americanpromises dot org.
Speaker 2: Yes, two five zero American Promises.
Speaker 4: This is a great website.
Speaker 3: It looks really good.
Speaker 1: It's great and maybe when we get back here the holiday, we can you know, read some of those and yeah, look at what people were saying about America over the week.
Speaker 2: I'm interested.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like it's something that can be like ongoing, you know, like the July fourth thing is sort of like, sure, this is the technical anniversary, but yeah, just as an experiment. And then like honestly, I sort of thought like if we got enough and there seemed to be a few themes, like a few like urgent, like these are the thing, Like maybe it's worth sending to various politicians to be like, sure, this is what people are feeling, this is what people are thinking about, Like maybe there's some data that they could use.
Speaker 1: And it's a great idea because, as I mentioned, pride in America is at an all time not an all time I'm sorry, a record low since twenty twenty, two thousand and one, so twenty five year low.
Speaker 2: There's lots of reasons for that.
Speaker 1: It's not just trual, but it's you know, there's a lot of reasons for that. But I saw it's particularly low among younger people. And I'm not younger person, but we have one here, Derek. You're a younger person. Well, I'm wondering, like what from your perspective and the America you've grown up in, Like, what are your feelings about America heading into the twenty into the two hundred and fiftieth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I love that I can still claim the younger person identity.
Speaker 4: I just turned thirty nine.
Speaker 2: Woo, okay, so I'm solidly.
Speaker 4: In the millennial camp.
Speaker 6: And I was, yeah, I was looking at this this poll from Gallup not only has Americans as a whole lost their you know, pride in America to a great degree, but also it breaks it down by age demographics. That so you have the silent generation, baby Boomers, Gen X, millennials, and now I'm also gen Z. And in two thousand and one, my group was the lowest, but the lowest at that point was seventy seven percent feel to be an American.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 6: And now this this latest one is fifty eight percent for my generation, and the generation younger than me is considerably lower forty one percent in this latest poll of gen Z born ninety seven to twenty twelve feel proud to be an American.
Speaker 4: And I don't know, I mean, I definitely think.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, when you think of two thousand and one, the first thing that comes to mind, of course is nine to eleven and how that moment feels so particular to what it meant to be an American. But then as soon as that, as soon as the sort of patriotic rush of that, I was, you know, I was in high school when nine to eleven happened, and immediately got it was the Iraq War and George w Bush was extremely unpopular, and everyone, you know, like my concept of America through like major event, major world event on you know, all through the pandemic and to now has just there hasn't been much to be to be excited about, or there hasn't been much to be from, you know, from my perspective to be proud of. And so yeah, I was I when I heard this poll, I was like, wow, like I that I relate to that. I I also have noticed, you know, my own embarrassment of being married. I also am married to a Canadian and and she has even less American pride than me.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well listen, I mean, just.
Speaker 1: To sort of let let you off the hook a little in your defense. You guys grew up with in the midst of endless wars, I mean the Iraq War, the Afghanistan War lasted way longer than was promised. Uh, there was a financial crisis, then there was a housing crisis.
Speaker 2: Uh, you watched your parents' generation.
Speaker 1: Really fuck things up for you, and you know, you know love you mind too.
Speaker 2: I mean, the boomers really fucked some things up. And it's I think it's easy to.
Speaker 1: Say, well, gosh, what are you guys good at, right, I mean, and you came up in a generation where suddenly there was an app for that. So you guys were solving problems in the private sector and in your college campuses, right, like you know, blowing shit up at JPL, right Like, I mean, you guys were solving problems and watching the government not solve problems, watching the government make problems worse while you guys were in like gig and share economies and figuring shit out. So I'm not at all surprised that you look a bit askew at I won't say America, but certainly at the the apparatus that runs America. And that can mean the corporate billionaires, that can mean the oligarchs, that can mean the gerontocracy, the political establishment. All the people in power did a kind of lousy job when you guys were really coming up, And so I think it makes sense. It's also very sad because you know, as we've been saying over the past couple of weeks, there's a lot to be proud of. There's a lot of things we're great at. There's a lot of things we are still leading.
Speaker 2: The world on.
Speaker 1: And there are a lot of reasons why people still look to America for hope, and it's painful when someone like Trump comes along and shits on our friends, makes us more embarrassed of who we are and what we're doing and what we supposedly stand for. Right, Like, it's really painful. But again that's why I brought up the World Cup fans, because if you can find these videos, you've seen them too, right of these guys being like.
Speaker 2: Don't listen to the press.
Speaker 1: The press is telling us America sucks, and that is not true. America is awesome because they don't have to live with our politics.
Speaker 2: They're just enjoying everything we're great at, which is like sports.
Speaker 1: And fun and to full parks, and we're great at that stuff.
Speaker 2: And we're still Americans, welcoming. We're like a war we hug on a good day. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I even was was listening to someone being like, I feel so stupid because as as soccer loving Europeans, football football loving Europeans, we were worried when we came to America that they wouldn't have good soccer stadiums. And he's like, that's how the way these stadiums are palaces, they are they are cathedrals to sports.
Speaker 2: Bound to our sports gods. So that's not we knew. Don't worry.
Speaker 4: We could.
Speaker 1: We could, we can, we can put a soccer stadium together. But there's there's a lot of good things that we're that we're doing and that you know, if we would just tell those stories. But it's hard when politics, to my earlier point, becomes the only thing that matters and the only thing that defines us. That is so dangerous, that is so gross, and we've got to get out of that. I know this is a political podcast. This is what we talk about here, and there's a time and place of all of that, right that's here. Yeah, but when you're off with your family, please just go.
Speaker 2: Live your lives. Like, go live your lives totally.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: It doesn't have to be about who were dinging and who were it's just so gross.
Speaker 4: Don't do it.
Speaker 6: And you know, people's opinions about America may be what they are. I hope that people's opinions about their own local communities is stronger than their opinion about maybe other country as a whole. I know that is definitely true for me. I love where I live New York City, but also in particular Queens. I have talked about the Queen's Night Market before, but it's like my favorite place.
Speaker 4: I love just going on a.
Speaker 6: Saturday evening and enjoying like food from all these different cultures.
Speaker 4: And just being outside.
Speaker 6: And you know, that's a little bit of a contradiction to say you love where you live in particular, but you don't have pride in where you live as a whole as a country. And I think there may be some solutions in that to recognize that all these communities do make up America, and hopefully as we make our communities better, we will also feel more proud.
Speaker 4: In the country they do.
Speaker 1: But I think you're getting to the exact point. We love where we live for the most part. You know, I think when we talk about we're less proud, we're talking about our politics that we're less proud of.
Speaker 2: And that's yeah for good reason.
Speaker 1: Right we are watching how destructive our politics has become. But I think we all we took politics out of it, we'd all be pretty proud of our of our country if we looked at the microcosm that is our community, whatever that is, whatever that looks like, maybe that's your church, maybe that's your town, maybe that's your people. We love our community, we love our people. I think there's a lot we actually do love. And I love That's why I love this idea, Lauren, because it kind of forces you to find those things that you're still proud of while identifying the things that you really wish we could we could make up for or heal from.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think it kind of centers centers human experiences, and I feel like in their last couple years decade this sort of like relinquishing to corporate and tech America that yeah, it feels so impersonal and.
Speaker 2: We've lost touch with each.
Speaker 5: Other, like I don't know what other Americans think or feel. And I think again that goes back to the World Cup stuff that you get these videos from these different pockets of America, and how like there was that one I saw of this one town in Middle America that had put up all these Spanish signs to welcome the Spanish team.
Speaker 2: Or the Spanish speaking team, I can't remember which one was.
Speaker 5: So it's like it's like, this is so we are not this sort of monolith, and it's so it would be so nice to like I would I always think of humans of New York. That guy who went around New York City and got all these like random personal stories. I would love like Humans of America and like, yeah, someone travel around and just get these pockets of stories to be like, oh, I identify with this random person in Kansas.
Speaker 2: That's fantastic.
Speaker 1: But anyway, yeah, I mean there are you know, there are some great projects. I know Craig Ferguson is doing something for CNN. I think it's called America No Purpose where he's going around to these towns and trying to find these pockets and stories to tell.
Speaker 2: But uh oh nice, yeah, but uh okay.
Speaker 1: So going into the July fourth weekend, I hope you all keep these two things in mind, right, Like we can. We can hold all of this together, which is we can be disappointed, we can want to fight to make our country better, but we can also love who we are and what we're made of and what we're capable of and where we're going. And I would just ask everyone to also look inside themselves and ask if you're participating, because we all do at some point. If you're participating in that US Versus Them project, that's real easy to get sort of like you.
Speaker 2: Know, trapped in It's very easy to do, but can we not? Can we not? Can we do that less? Yes? I would break? Can we do that less?
Speaker 1: So that's my wish for all of us heading into the fourth and in our two hundred and fiftieth birthday.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday. Thanks for sharing your stuff too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for giving us all right, We'll see you after the holiday. Off the Cup is a production of iHeart Podcast as part of the Reason Choice Network. If you want more, check out the other Reason Choice podcast, Politics with Jamel Hill and Native Land Pod. For Off the Cup, I'm your host, Si Cup. Editing and sound design by Derek Clements. Our executive producers are me Si Cup.
Speaker 2: And Lauren Hanson.
Speaker 1: Rate and review wherever you get your podcasts, follow and subscribe for new episodes every week
Speaker 3: To