Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Authrenticity. The new Russell Crowe Denzel Washington movie.
Speaker 2: I don't know what.
Speaker 1: What was that movie with them multiple now Virtuosity was six point seven? What a film? Those like early movies where they just had kind of heard of computers and still we're figuring it out. Are he could.
Speaker 3: Generate his body by touching glass? I remember that was the thing. And that's pretty deep, and that's pretty cool. And there what they were at an early UFC fight. That was the other thing I remember there. There's like a like the climactic scene like revolves around them.
Speaker 1: They got a lot of the future, right, Yeah, they did know that you mentioned it. I remember there was one of the I remember there's one of those where they keep talking about like Jack me in, I gotta get jacked into the the mainframe. That just always cracks me up. Uh. Anyways, we're gonna talk about authenticity in a moment. I'm Jack. That's Miles. This is an episode where we just tell you some of the stuff that's trending this afternoon, Thursday, November twenty First, but first, Matt Gates guilty as hell. Huh. I guess is what we want to.
Speaker 3: Tell Yeah, pour a bottle of piss out for this one, another one or the first. This is I guess technically the first Trump l so far of this future administration, the utah at Gates.
Speaker 1: To withdraw one of these nominees at a time when absolutely nobody can tell him shit, Like he just spent a whole year just being like, I don't give a fuck what anyone tells me. I'm going to keep doubling and tripling down. And he believes he's right about everything that has every he could possibly do, Like there's no scenario in his mind where he does something wrong now or in the future. Absolutely for Matt Gates to like, the evidence on this motherfucker must be so damning. I mean it to be, like, all right, except for that one. I was bad, my bad on that one.
Speaker 3: It was damning the second you heard it and you knew there was evidence of all of it. They're like, we have payments, we have witnesses. They're talking about trafficking minors, statutory rape. That's all there. I think for me, I think, you know, the biggest thing was when he resigned to say, like, oh, I'm actually doing that because I'm going to be nominated to be, you know, attorney general. The thing that his resignation did was effectively end the jurisdiction the House Ethics Committee had over him in terms of investigating this behavior, this misconduct, these crimes. So by doing that, he basically made that investigation toothless. And then there was this whole thing about, well, well they release the report. There was enough pressure that apparently they're like, yeah, we're not going to release the report. And now I just don't think this is the end of Matt Gates. I mean, there's already talk of him replacing Marco Rubio as a senator, so it could just be this, like, you know, they were looking one move to sort of stop the ethics report coming out, but then he gets to hop on Marco Rubio's Senate seat and he still gets to be a basically of just a firebrand in the Senate to do Trump.
Speaker 1: One way or another, We're getting this pedophile in a position of power.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, either way, either way is what that looks like. And so yeah, I think it was the evidence. I think also just generally because some people were.
Speaker 1: Like is he doing it?
Speaker 3: Like people were speculating like is Trump doing this just to humiliate Matt Gates during the confirmation because Democrats do get to ask questions unless he went for like the recess appointment thing, which sounds like some Republicans in the House are pushing back on that idea. So this is the one thing is that, like, although Trump does have control over the Republican Party and people are bowing to him, there's still other elements that are trying to do something slightly different. So it's at the moment slowing things down a little bit. But all that to say, Pete Hegseth is still in the running to be a Secretary of Defense, even though the police report around the like the rape allegations are have surfaced and it's terrible, and yeah, he's now like he was caught I think a Capitol Hill people ask him like, hey, what the fuck is this man? Like we're seeing hearing a lot about this, and the police report was released, he said, quote as far as the media is concerned, it's very simple. The matter was fully investigated and I was completely cleared. And that's where I'm going to leave it.
Speaker 2: But that's not true nor yes exactly, so I think, yeah, sure there were no charges were filed, but there's still a police report that's out.
Speaker 1: So as far as the media is concerned, No, we're talking about this very this police report right here that details all the sex crime is that you committed as far as.
Speaker 3: Well, what about reality, as far as reality.
Speaker 1: Is concerned, Yeah, why don't you ask CNN anytime I do something wrong, I'm just gonna blame blame the media because they do suck in a lot of ways. And so yeah, uh yeah. I mean he has control over the government and the Republican Party and a lot of people who are preemptively just being like I don't want to be in trouble with the fascists. But he doesn't have control over the fabric of reality. And I think that's going to come in a surprise to him and some of his supporters.
Speaker 3: He's like, I've just nominated Sid six point seven to be the arbiter of accepted reality. You might remember him as the bad guy from Virtuosity.
Speaker 1: That's right, and we all do, and I did even before we just had that conversation four minutes ago. Netflix is being sued over the Glitchy Tyson Paul fight. I always love a good lawsuit. That's like this thing that was inconvenient happened to me, and I am seeking damages of at least fifty million dollars.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, someone's suing because he was glitchy.
Speaker 1: The shit was glitchy, dude, I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're so litigious for the worst reasons. I was so glitchy, man. Fifty million, Yeah, fifty million.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's like if they're seeking class action damages fifty million dollars, yeah, so across they want to get sifty yo, I had fifty I was going to the casino on that night, and I would have made fifty million dollars. But yeah, I get I guess their idea is that a lot of people were inconvenienced by the glitchy ass presentation, and I respect it.
Speaker 3: I bet this dude bet on Tyson to win lost a bet, and now we're just trying to recoup his money somehow by being.
Speaker 1: Like, if it hadn't been glitch g then maybe he would have won, just as a very bad understanding of how.
Speaker 3: But the fight still happened and the result remains. I don't know, man, who knows.
Speaker 1: Legs look shaky because the feed was shaky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Schrodinger's boxing match.
Speaker 1: Uh. And then authenticity, just the this idea. I just want to keep talking about it because it feels like it's going to be the big thing. It's It's my takeaway from like this past election is it was the determining factor in many ways. Like it's the one thing that people seem to believe Trump has is like he has this appearance of authenticity, not because he has any deeply held, authentic human beliefs about what he can do and like how to benefit people. But he's the most willing to say fuck you to the mainstream media.
Speaker 3: And not for reasons, just saying fuck you for describing what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: He will keep saying it, and he will say it even louder if as they point out him being wrong. I do think it's really the only unique thing about him as a politician, his willingness to say whatever benefits him, regardless of what the media what, Like the you know, Democratic Party establishment and you know, in twenty sixteen, the Republican Party establishment said he would he was just had an unshakeable belief in himself and the way he saw things that was fueled by pathological narcissism. But it ended up working out for him. And I think, on the other hand, like the Democratic Party seems to have the opposite of this. They seem to be worried about what the mainstream media will say about them at all times. Kamala Harris changed her positions, went to the right in a bunch of ways that felt completely out of line with what we knew of her from before. But I think also like just remember, I think we've also lost sight of like who the most unpopular politician in the presidential election was. It actually wasn't Kamala Harris. It was JD. Vance, And like he was the person who is the most opportunistic, position changing, inauthentic, sellout piece of shit that like that that is just the one thing that everybody knew about him from the start, is he a few years ago was calling Trump hitler and then became you know, a sniveling boot thrower, and people despised him. And I just I don't think people are wrong to value this necessarily because like we were talking about, like with the the idea of people having like an allergic reaction to these like super complex bureaucratic solutions that are like neoliberalism does hide behind complexity, and it does end up fucking you over in a lot of ways, like whether it be you know, health insurance or you know, government programs that end up you know, getting taken over by corporations. And I think like authenticity, like we exist in a world where, like from our youngest days, we are being sent manipulative messages via marketing that like are trying to control you and dissuade you. And I think it's like one of the ways that people are very sophisticated now, and politicians and like big mainstream political parties just still seem to be like a generation behind. They're like talking to people who aren't aware that that is happening, right, And yeah, I mean I think it's fucking them.
Speaker 3: A lot of the DNC ideas feel like they came from like your divorced sixty year old uncle who like just realized you can wear a hat backwards and yeah, hey, you know it'll be cool.
Speaker 1: Exactly we just saw you walk in with the fanny pack, take it off and turn your hat around backwards, and turn the chair around backwards. Like we saw that. You can't make us not see that. But I just I'm raising it now because like you talked about, like the way that the Democratic Party is responding to the election is, guys, we need to shift to the right. You need to keep changing our position, keep adopting new positions now that you know, throw everybody under the bus. Like that is the hardening consensus around what this election is. And like I I don't really feel any panic about it because I didn't think that the mainstream Democratic Party or the mainstream media was going to be the solution. I just but we need to like recognize that's what it's going to be. It's not coming whatever is next is not coming from the mainstream media. It's not coming from the Democratic Party. It's going to be something that they make fun of, and that thing needs to target them and like have that be a part of what they're saying from the start. They have to like have five, you know, very specific messages and one of them needs to be fuck the mainstream media and the you know, Biden administration.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or or not just doing it like in the sort of maga way of like fuck the mainstream media is like you talk about the corporate capture of media, Yeah, how it doesn't serve you to actually talk But again, depending on you know what level of DNC strategist you're talking about, Like, no, dude, maybe it is good to like adopt that language.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: You know, we're currently just experiencing an omni crisis in the United States. So it's the it's the authenticity, it's the misogyny, it's the racism. All of these things are sort of coming together to create a fucking ball rog of disaster, political disaster that you know, the Democrats had to face off with. But yeah, I think the thing though, truly like which the reason it's trending to this idea of authenticity. There's a Pew Research study that came out this week that was just talking about how like percent of American adults are like they're not getting it from the main stream media at all, Like they're getting their news from quote news influencers or what the study defines as a person who consistently posts news related content with more than one hundred thousand followers on Facebook, Instagram, TikTok x, or YouTube. That's there again, this is more than fifty million people getting their news base sweat. When Pugh asked adults from the age of eighteen twenty nine, that number increases to thirty seven percent. So this is like a this is again part of the shifting media diet of like that people are consuming. And we also this is why we're hearing so much now too, because clearly the right has an advantage in this department of their own like talk a sphere, blogger sphere, influencers, spheres of influences, and the Democrats are constant like what are we what are we gonna do? Like we need our own Joe Rogan. That doesn't mean they need to be pumping more money into like Podsay of America or things like that, although that's probably exactly what they're thinking, because these people have been stallwarts for the establishment Democratic Party. But there's this in this Wired article, they spoke with this woman Emelia Montooth, who's like a creator progressive creator, and this was her takes you said quote what the right does really well is having a funnel that I believe starts with barstool sports that reaches mass audiences. The left is missing the top and middle of these funnels. Rather than working with individual influencers, they should focus on building that piece of the ecosystem, that funnel. Because it is true, like it's if you're not. Most people are not explicitly looking for political content like on the Internet. They want entertainment. So if they're if they're even trying to replicate that, I don't know. I mean, like, you already have huge funnels for content. Now are they gonna start platforming people that are more I don't know. It's just hard to kind of figure out. But I do see that part of the puzzle of like you capture people with a larger sort of you know, again just general sort of entertainment, and then from there they begin to infuse a lot of like political talkers or things, platform them and normalize them via that route. But I just don't think like most of the people.
Speaker 1: Like there's The Ringer, right, that's a very popular sports network, like probably comparable to barstool, maybe not as big as barstool, but it's big and popular and influential, But it has like no political stance because it's just sort of a mainstream media aligned you know, like it's just probably center left. I actually don't know what the politics of the people involved in the ring are, but like, I don't think there's any there there in the same way that they're you know, whereas like barstool, I guess it just feels like it's like a lot of the answers that are coming from people are like okay, and then we need a forty slide power point to explain like the many different steps of addressing this. And it's just like it because like nobody everybody has just been like, well, the Democrats like are kind of the standard, and like as a mainstream media institution, we just like kind of trickle down to that, and people have rejected that because they've rejected like this neoliberal order, and so I don't know, there's like a lot of like I think people are going to try to make the Joe Rogan of the left and it's just going to be the same thing we've already had, which.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of yeah, right, I think again, the Joe Rogan of the left avoids the are the policies the problem.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: That's really I think what we're getting at in the end is that while that can help and you can maybe try and like balance the scales in terms of like the number of visitors consumers of this content to sort of like lean more to the left, the bigger issue is that the policies and if if that's not the first point of interrogation and any kind of post mortem on this election, it's going to be an absolute failure. But again, I think that's why there is so much emphasis on talking about like it, this is it, this is this, rather than are are we like completely fucking ourselves over because we are unwilling to grapple these problems that are being caused by our biggest donors, right, and we are so locked in with them that we've been rendered inert in terms of addressing those problems because we're just kind of we like to we like to pick a part at the margins. Yeah, it's tough, but yeah, I think again, like the point about authenticity, it's the same thing of like are you being consistent with who you think is vulnerable and who are you're protecting? Because if that's sliding all over the place, that's hard to be taken seriously, right, But.
Speaker 1: It's nobody has really tried this. That's that's the thing to you, Like nobody is currently like in the last election, like they're going to tell you, well, the Democrats tried to like be progressive and it failed. They they didn't and also, like if the best tool that you can have when it comes to like being authentic is like actually having the truth and like kindness on your side. And no, no mainstream party has tried that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because what you're not going to hear fucking Rachel Maddow get out there and really talk about how, you know, certain lobbying interests are the reason why the Democratic Party is unable to really pursue these policies that would you know, help a plurality of American people. It's not gonna happen, although she did. We just did find out she's willing. She's taking, she said, a five million dollar pay cut because christ MSNBC is in such dire straits right now, is she so?
Speaker 1: Hey?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, man, I mean five union pay cut. What is she going to make she getion dollars?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, okay, So she went from thirty million to twenty five million, Okay, okay, okay, worth it, guys.
Speaker 1: MSNBC. I'm here, I'll brough.
Speaker 3: I'll do it for fucking I'll do it for one million, but I won't say that shit that you know, I'll get kicked off pretty quickly, but it'll be fun.
Speaker 1: We'll have a good run. We'll have a nice run. Let's take a quick break. We'll be right back, and we're back. We're back, all right. Glicked is currently tracking for a combined North American debut in the one hundred and sixty five million dollar range. That is the Gladiator to Wicked box office debuts coming this weekend that we talked about that I think should be Wikadiator or Wadiator or.
Speaker 3: Just Wicked too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wicked too make it make confusing as fuck, Wicked time, but yeah, I don't know it. So I think that's about the range that people were thinking for Barbenheimer and it both of those overperformed. Seemed like it seems like Wicked did extremely well with critic they they're giving it like really good reviews, and Gladiator Too is like you know standard Ridley Scott over the past decade or two, where you know, we'll see it seems like a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because what Barbara did one f five and Oppenheimer did eighty opening so they did two thirty five opening weekend and then it kind of just kept going.
Speaker 1: So but I think the forecast heading in was around like, yeah, Barbie could do about a million and Oppenheimer could do like sixty five cool cool cool, and they both overperformed. So we'll see. Don't sleep on baby Ratu, which is baby girl and Nasfaratu both dropping on Christmas. Baby Ratu is so baby, that's more fun to say, Yeah baby, right, baby girl. Yeah, it's funny. Like the article that the AP News did an article it was like glicked Barbenheimer, like is it going to be the new Barbenheimer? And like the first two paragraphs are just taken up by people being like, we actually think clicked is the better way over Wickadiator. Yeah, they recognize that their name sucks. Shit, They're like, we just need to like get on board with glicked and move on because having five different names is not helpful for the movement. This is like a cause.
Speaker 3: This is like the Democrats know, obsessing Overdiers. They're like, clicked, dude, it's so much bigger than this Wickiator Gladiator glad Wick and even the eyebrow raising glad dicked glad dicked glad one's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Glat yeah, gladykus Yeah whatever.
Speaker 3: I know not of wicked enough to for that to interest me, but I do know about running my fingers through you know, fields of wheat and hearing your vaguely ethnic vocals. I don't know if I may have a moment to see it, like do a solo movie thing, because I know her majesty is, she's like miss me with the fucking Gladiator ship.
Speaker 1: Really so my wife is on board for the Gladiator like I want to see that. I really do. Think it's because of Paul the Skull.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, No, her magic is like Paul, Okay, Paul, Paul. And isn't that mess call like a drink? No, but like that's a that's disqualified to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but anyways, Uh, but we are traveling this weekend, so I don't know if I'll probably end up seeing it over Thanksgiving, but we Thanksgiving Day, Thanksgiving Day.
Speaker 3: Baby, Have you ever seen a movie on Thanksgiving Day?
Speaker 1: I think so. We usually go see movies when we're.
Speaker 3: For the Smith's Day movie.
Speaker 1: We always do Christmas Day movies for sure.
Speaker 3: At the theater. At the theater.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I always in the theater. Yeah, We're we're big. We're a big movie going family.
Speaker 3: I've never seen a movie on Christmas Day, I think because like at the time, as a kid, all I wanted to do is just play whatever video like the one video game I got for the year, and be like, yeah, you do whatever fuck you want, Like I'm gonna like have my eyes roll back in front of team for eight hours. Maybe I'll try that this year.
Speaker 1: You didn't even go see Titanic.
Speaker 3: That shit didn't That shit came out before Christmas? Though, yeah it did, so I saw it before. I saw it before like I saw I'm pretty sure I saw a Titanic opening weekend.
Speaker 1: Did you see Avatar in theaters on I did see.
Speaker 3: Habitat, but I saw the first Avatar in.
Speaker 1: Tokyo actually, oh shit, which may have probably my fondest Christmas Day movie going experience. Yeah. Oh, you know, it's so wild.
Speaker 3: Every time I've been in Japan for Christmas, I've gone to see a movie almost like I saw the the episode seven uh Star Wars when that came out Force Awakens.
Speaker 1: I saw that.
Speaker 3: I think that was on Christmas Day in Japan, and then I saw Avatar. Now I think it's a daft anyway, not in America, and that's the only one that counts.
Speaker 1: We live in America, all right. Hey, A fond farewell to people who no longer live in America. I'm degenerous and Portia de Rossi are leaving the US and saying we're not coming back. Fuck you guys for electing Trump. I you know, Ellen a true hero. I just we haven't really brought Ellen up in a while because they get emotional talking about what.
Speaker 3: She Everyone was really terrible to her when she.
Speaker 1: Went through yet, so she just had a stand up special that is basically that that is the tone.
Speaker 3: It's called for your approval, which is very like, okay, here we go, here you go.
Speaker 1: I hope you're happy. The premise is like, this woman has been wronged more than anybody, and just to refresh, she was canceled for doing like cruel and sadistic things to people who worked for her, such as like hiding toothpicks around her house and seeing if the cleaning lady would find them and if not, they're fired, like just like setting little traps for the people who work for them to uh like kind out.
Speaker 3: And then also any person who has worked on the Ellen DeGeneres show, just anecdotally in LA you meet people, they will always be like, there's the worst fucking thing I've ever had. And that's when it all came out because first it was the people who worked on the Ellen Show being like this workplace is talk seek, and then the pylon began like, oh, y'all don't know about the toothpick hiding, and you're like, what it was hiding?
Speaker 1: It was just a thing you heard around La the entire time I lived here, you know, from like early two thousand and tens, was that like, oh, the worst boss in La, you know. And so I just want to talk about the special, though I was only able to make it a minute and a half in. She opens the thing with with like a montage of like people attacking Ellen degenerous, and she comes out and she gets a standing oh like she was Malala Man. She is like, they are just well, yeah, they're you.
Speaker 3: Know, her place in television history. I think that's like in terms of coming out on national television, out on nation like a seminal moment.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: But the vibe of this special was sort of like using the goodwill of her, you know, taking you know, being open with the world and who she is on Ellen to then be like and because of that, ignore all the other terrible things I have done after that, and I am actually a martyr because I got through maybe the first ten minutes, and when I realized, I'm like, oh, this is just a hay geography of like Ellen DeGeneres in the form of a stand up thing. I was like, I get it. Your ego couldn't handle it. You get to be the only voice on a stage and just kind of like tell your side of things and whatever. Said, I was kicked out of show business. Dude, you have so much like you live in Montecito.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I guess not anymore.
Speaker 3: The Monasito estates, so you are no longer in the same neighborhood as well.
Speaker 1: Now she lives in a castle next to the Crema. Okay, next, hope you're hand for Erica.
Speaker 3: Yeah, also does Porsona ROSSI also suck too, or she's just catching strays because.
Speaker 1: She's yeah, I got nothing, no problem with hey, portion might be faint with you, okay. Great? Great performances in Arrested Development.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and al who could forget out of mcfiel she first hit the stage.
Speaker 1: All right, those are some of the things that are trending on this Thursday, November twenty. First, we are back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, get your blue shots, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to y'all tomorrow. Bye bye,