Speaker 1: You ready, Scottie, Oh crazy, I'm ready to love and love and love.
Speaker 2: Orcas start wearing dead salmon hats again after ditching the trend for thirty seven years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna do this one too, so I have backup once. Of course, we have to do salmon hats. Sam, come on, salmon hats with the Banana Boys. This is gonna be a very special holiday episode. Bananas Joss.
Speaker 3: All the way around the world.
Speaker 1: I beg you.
Speaker 3: Got the stretcher, Baby driving Me, Blends, Baby ba Bana's Baby, Banana Bana driving Wends, Baby.
Speaker 2: Guys, Cows, non binary Palace. Welcome to Bananas.
Speaker 1: I'm Kerk Brown older, I am Banana Boy number two. Scotty Landis. Thank you for listening. You know, you might be home with your family, you might be home with your friends. You might be flying solo. Maybe you're doing the dishes, maybe you're driving a car. It doesn't matter where you are or who you are. We're just glad to have you listening to Bananas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is Yeah, we're probably deep into the holiday season, aren't we.
Speaker 1: Scotty right up on it, right up on it. Kwans was probably in full swing right now. Maybe we're dabbling in hanukkah. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's late this year. I think it starts the day after Christmas, if I'm not If I'm not incorrect.
Speaker 1: That's that sounds pretty cool to me. Well, so everybody out there, just have a safe and happy time. And if your family drives you nuts, that's okay. Just put bananas in one AirPod in your left ear, face the family with your right ear, and when you laugh, they'll think it's, you know, the fifteenth time they've told that same tired joke. We're happy to join you.
Speaker 2: Tell me about your holiday plans. You're having everybody right at the house.
Speaker 1: Parents are coming over, sister, brother in law, I'll just call him brother. He married my sister, but he's a great dude. Nephews are in town. No big no like epic. We're not going to Disneyland or something like that. But we're all here. We're all happy. I already got the tree up. Looks great. Went to Costco bought a fake tree. Yep, do you use a fake tree?
Speaker 2: I do now.
Speaker 1: I gotta say it's fantastic in one love it. Besides, besides it not smelling like a pine tree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that I.
Speaker 1: Do cancels for that.
Speaker 2: But the reason that, honestly, the reason that we got the fake Christmas tree was we would get these Christmas trees the weekend after Thanksgiving, and by like mid December, it would be just dying so much that it was a real reminder that I'm like, oh, I'm continually killing a tree for this when I could just get this other one and have it last me for twenty years, save twenty trees.
Speaker 1: I knew this dude in Georgia and he had a big hunting farm. He had like it was crazy turkey, deer, all that stuff. And I went down there once and he had this amazing pond for fishing and it was just like it was so good. Every cast she just reeled and official was nuts. And I was like, why, why are like the bass so vibrant here? Why is this so easy to do? And he goes every yearverybody gives me their Christmas tree and I put them in the bottom of the lake or the pond. It was a pond really, and that just creates like a perfect environment for minnows and smaller fish and tabpoles and stuff to live in, and the bass can just hang out by Christmas trees. I was like, that is such a cool visual, like an underwater Christmas with pond animals.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's crazy. Was it a real big pond?
Speaker 1: It wasn't that big, Like, I don't know, soon.
Speaker 2: It's just gonna be a pile of pile de trees.
Speaker 1: I know. But maybe they eat them. I don't know. But that was his secret is he would throw a Christmas tree in the bottom and every year like somebody like, here's your tree, and he said it created a perfect environment for bass and whatever. It was pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Oh right, is there any fun? Are there any like traditions that you have for the for the holidays? Do you like any movies or anything?
Speaker 1: No, I'm a everybody. I was texting with a friend and they're like, what's your favorite Christmas movie? And my sincere answers Home Alone. I love Home Alone. I think that movie's incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I have a new favorite holiday movie for as day kids. Not for the kids, Okay, for the kids, we definitely watch We do the classics, We watch rudelfh The Red Nose Rein Deer, We watch Charlie Brown Christmas and every year my kids, like I don't want to watch Charlie Brown, and then I'm just like, you're watching it's like a fight, And then I put it on. They're like, this is awesome. I love this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is weird because I remember being that way with Charlie Brown too. It's something about the animation being so bland, even by nineteen eighty five standards.
Speaker 2: And also that the beginning of all of them is like, Charlie Brown's suicidal. Yeah, he's so sad. The beginning of every specials Charlie Brown is so sad. So I can I know that that's They think that's going to be the feeling, and then it's like, no, that's not the feeling. The feeling is much.
Speaker 1: Snoopy shows up and everybody's happy with Snoopy.
Speaker 2: No my my, My new favorite for the holidays is Home for the Holidays Robert Downey Junior, Holly Hunter, nineteen ninety five. Home for the Holidays. It is delight. It is not for the it's not for kids. A lot of smoking, a lot of cursing. But if you're from the Northeast and you have a dysfunctional family.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, and who does it in the Northeast it's the main thing up there.
Speaker 2: And Holly Hunter is so cool. She's so cool. And Robert Downey Jr. This was like when Robert Downey Junior was like into drugs.
Speaker 1: Love drugs.
Speaker 2: He looks sweaty and clammy in every shot and he's still so good.
Speaker 1: The ultimate blow up. I mean, Robert Downey Junior. Has anybody ever recovered more successfully in Hollywood? Had gone from a punchline on Letterman and land Know and then now he's Iron Man. And like when he died at the end of Infinity, which I watched on a plane spoiler yeah, spoiler alert came out seven years ago. Spoiler alert. I got like misty eyed on the plane. I'm like, oh God, what a what a run? And then you look back, You're like, this guy famously was just a nightmare drug addict.
Speaker 2: He's like he was Corey Feldman level.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, he was wild.
Speaker 2: And like, you don't come back from Corey Feldman level. Look at Forrey Feldman. He then never came back from Corey Feldman.
Speaker 1: Also, Robert Doddy Jr. Is so good. He's so charming, He's such a good actor. That guy's crazy charismatic. It's wild I guess we love him. You know who directed Home for the All Days, Jody Foster.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, isn't it amazing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's the coolest too. She she got so successful. She I've read in an interview years ago that she's like, I do a movie every two years and they take off for two years, and I'm like, damn, yeah, that's how you win in Hollyweird. You get so big that you can do a movie. You're like, I'm gonna do Contact, and then you just straight up disappear for two years and you come back and you're another hit movie. Contact two, Contact three, But yeah, I like Home Alone. Contact just more, Contact three two one, Contact, great TV show one Contacts, that's probably real. I I just think Home Alone is ultimate child wish fulfilment. Yep. Written so well, yes, over like acted. All the actors are going for it, and yet like Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern, who are the Wet bandits also great, great name. They're cartoonish, right, those guys are being cartoonish, but everybody else is kind of playing it like really dramatic and really good man. That movie is, uh yeah, that's I look forward to every year. But we are a Christmas Eve family. We celebrate, we give gifts on Christmas Eve, and then we just enjoy Christmas. We don't get up early. We just hang out the next day. And then the tradition in Maryland, because this is the first year I'm ever doing in LA. But when i'd fly back to Maryland, my dad and I on Christmas Day at like four pm, which it's dark, would go find a bar and have a drink or two or eat oysters. Oh there's a restaurant called Ocean Pride that used to be open, and would be my dad and I'm just yucking it up, telling stories, hanging out and then just a bunch of men by themselves who clearly didn't have the kids after the divorce on Christmas Day, just drinking some natty bows and watching Sports Center and flirting with the bartender. And it was so that was the tradition. But this year I think we'll probably just take a little walk. We'll go in Griffith Park and take a little observatory walk.
Speaker 2: Oh, it'll be so so delightful. We go to Shanter Fun Miss Eve Nice and they have like carrollers, which is so delightful. And then and then we come home and watch this. It's a wonderful life.
Speaker 1: That's nice. Yeah, I got your kids a gift that I'm going to give to you now, and I'll tell you what it is, because it's not surprise or anything. I was like, you know, I was just taking a leisurely long walk, as I do, and I was thinking about being a kid around Christmas. I was like, but what did I really like when I was a little guy, like, you know, besides cookies and all that crap. And I found them they still exist, So I'll drop these off. I think they arrived today or tomorrow. The make it Bake it kits, which are the little metal wire ornament framed things that you pour the bead colored beads of glass and then you bake it and it turns it into stained glass. I found them nice. So I got your kids two snowmen and two indy canes and so you make it and bake it.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, that's so they're gonna fucking go crazy for that.
Speaker 1: That's I knew they would like. I got a ruby of set too, But yeah, I'm gonna drop those off because I used to. I was like, man, I look forward to those every year, and like, if you were a total badass, as obviously I was, you'd put like one little grass green bead in where the clear beads are supposed to go. See'd get a little green dot. You know that stocking doesn't have to be exactly like the diagram and the picture looked like so anyways, I'll drop those off I think tomorrow the next day. But yeah, it's fun. They decorate them, you bake them boom staying glasses.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're gonna they are gonna love that, dude, right on.
Speaker 1: Tell you so much. You're welcome, all right, uncle to everybody.
Speaker 2: You are or goes start wearing dead salmon hats again after ditching the trend for thirty seven years. Thirty seven years. This was sent in by so.
Speaker 1: So many, send it to me.
Speaker 2: I'll do it too randomly. Wiena Lombard is the one that I ended up being like, what a name we do? Weena Lombard? Yeah, pretty good, Wiena wi Na.
Speaker 1: Wow, great name. Yeah that's cool.
Speaker 2: Who you got for credit?
Speaker 1: There? I got a oh C. C. Petrella. Yeah, another great name.
Speaker 2: God Weena and CC out on the town together have an adventures in a convertible c C.
Speaker 1: Petrella. Thanks for sending it in. You can always send your strange news stories really whatever you want that's family friendly to the Bananas Podcast at gmail dot com or the Bananas Podcast on Instagram, which we check every day.
Speaker 2: This is on Live science dot com. Not to be confused with IFL Science, but a very similar type website. This was written by Sasha Pear or Sasha Paae not sure we we poo pooh orcus, she's the best. Orcs start wearing dead salmon hats again after ditching the trend for thirty seven years, Orcas off the coast of Washington State. Here we go, Pacific Northwest Pacific orcas have started wearing salmon hats again, bringing back a bizarre trend first described in the nineteen eighties. Last month, scientists and whale watchers spotted orcas in South Puget Sound and off Point No Point Point No Point is a Great name in Washington point eight swimming with dead fish on their heads. This is the first time they've done the bizarre headgear since the summer of nineteen eighty seven, when a trend setting female West Coast orca kickstarted the behavior for no apparent reason. Within a couple of weeks, the rest of the pod had jumped on the bandwagon and turned salmon corpses into must have fashion accessories, according to the Marine conservatory charity ORCA, but it's unclear whether the same will happen this time around. Researchers think the orcs sporting salmon hats now may be very veterans of the trend when it first appeared forty years ago. It does seem possible that some individuals that experienced the behavior the first time around may have started it again. Andrew Foot in Evolutionary Accuse at the University of Osloon Norway told new scientists the motivation for the salmon hat trend remains a mystery. Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. Searcher at the University of Washington, who also heads the science and research team at the nonprofit Wild Orca, salm and hats are a perfect example of what researchers call quote a fad, a behavior initiated by one or two individuals and temporarily picked up by others before abandoning it. Back in the eighties, the trend only lasted a year. By the summer eighty eight, dead fish were totally pass a. Salmon hats disappeared from the West Coast orc population ORCS. Researchers best guesses that salmon hat fads are linked to high food availability. South Puget Sound is currently teeming with chum salmon and with too much food to eat on the spot, orc is maybe saving fish for less it is by balancing them on their heads.
Speaker 1: They don't pockets, That's what I think it is. They don't have hands, they don't pockets, so they have to just you know, they're not gonna just leave leftover, so they put it on their head around.
Speaker 2: Orcas have spotted stashing food away in other places too. We've seen mammal eating killer whales carry large chunks of food under their pectoral fin, kind of tucked in next to their body.
Speaker 1: I pit snack. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Sam is probably too small to fit securely under orches pectoral fin, so the marine mammals may have opted for the top of their heads instead. Cameron Quick drones could help researchers monitors salmon hat wearing. Also, I love that we immediately go to calling them hats too.
Speaker 1: It's more of a headband if you look at it. Or two pey.
Speaker 2: Right, they're more like a wig hear it. But the food availability theory could be wrong. If the footage reveals it work is a band in the salmon without eating them, the researchers will be sent back to the drawing board. Whatever the reasons for the behavior, Gyle says, it's been fun to watch it come back in style. Hell yeah, since I've personally seen it.
Speaker 1: She said, m hm.
Speaker 2: Sasha Pere is a UK based trainee staff writer, UK based trainee staff writer. Look at that, Sasha just started. That's why she gets keep going the Orca hat stories.
Speaker 1: Good job sas, Sasha. If you were typing this without just some smoked salmon on your forehead, then you're not committed to being the best in the business. So look in the mirror, figure it out. I I mean, remember when we talked about Julie the chimpanzees stuck the grass in your ear? Yeah, and that was Zambia. God, when was that Zambia? Whenever you and I did that pilot ten years ago or whatever, there was a chimpanzee named Julie and she stuck a long piece of grass out of her one day and they don't know why, and then by the next day a couple of the other female chimpanzees had grass sticking out of their ear, and then it was something within like a month, their whole tribe, their whole pack of chimpanzees whatever it's called family, and then a secondary family who saw it all started doing it and they were like, it can only be explained as a fashion fat and that was so interesting. So maybe these fish hats are just fashion, yeah.
Speaker 2: Or maybe they use that piece of piece of grass to like fish some ants out of a hole, you know, and they're a store in their tool. It's like a pencil behind the ear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe Julie's just a performance artist.
Speaker 2: Let's bring back pencils behind the ear, guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a good look.
Speaker 2: It's a great look. I want a real stylish pencil behind the ear look from Paris next year. All right, yeah, look, couture designers to listen to bananas. Yes, pencil behind the ear, give it to me.
Speaker 1: You talked about how they sometimes hold the salmon under their fin Yeah, I was pitching. I was pitching a TV show with Memory Heart once and we had gone out to lunch in between, and we're gone. The next one and we were riding up in the elevator with her manager to go this next pitch, and Memory's like, hey, do you have any gum? And to her manager and he's like yeah, yeah, and he fished out a loose piece of gum from his pocket handed to her. She goes, did you just give me pocket gum? He goes what She goes, was that just bouncing around your pocket? He goes, yeah, I just had a piece of gum. No rapper, I'm talking oh, no rapper, Yeah, I'm talking like those how gum comes in those weird plastic and foil things. Now one of those pushed out already just bouncing around. And she was like, I can't believe you just give me pocket gum. And he's like, is pocket gum a thing? And she's like what it is? Now? And it was the funniest thing that her manager would be like, Yeah, here you go. Here's this thing that's been jangling around with my wallet, my keys. There's a bucket gum.
Speaker 2: I'd eat it.
Speaker 1: She ate it all right, good, she chewed it. She's a professional. She wanted fresh breath more than you know. And that's and that's where COVID started that exact moment. I've never seen orcas in the wild. I would love to go see orcas in the wild. I guess the best place is there where they're talking about, like, is it off in Scandinavia? That seems like. I know, they're all different everywhere, and they're all around the world, and they have different hunting rituals, and like the ones that beach themselves are different than the ones that kick the fish or the whatever seals in the air with their fins. All of it seems radically intelligent. Yeah, so I think they know exactly what they're doing with it. I think it might be fashion.
Speaker 2: Oh you do, Okay, I think they might be.
Speaker 1: There's some hierarchy thing where. Don't understan the.
Speaker 2: Fact that we don't understand all of these animals on our planet really truly, especially whales. Like the fact that we don't that whales are constantly talking and communicating with each other in very complicated ways and we have zero, zero idea of what they're saying to each other is pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Do you think AI can figure that out? I bet it can, right, Isn't that what it's good for? It'll be able to figure out what whales are saying, dude, what if it's just so funny? What if whales are the Rodney Danger Fields of the ocean. They just are all.
Speaker 2: Are just are just Hey, I don't like cocaine. I just like the way it smells.
Speaker 1: Just blowholes. I think now that is ai that I like. My god, that's so good. Yeah. I want to see one though, because like I went to I went whale watching in well one. Now they're around here. You can go out of Newport Beach and they have like a boat that goes towards Catalina and apparently they see orcas out there quite a bit. Now seems awesome. Then you can do it. And I went off of Vancouver and but the Canadians are so respectful at least the whaling tourism, that you have to stay like god, it was so far I think it was like a thousand meters away, so a kilometer away. You have to stay so far away that we didn't see any orcas. But we did see a bunch of whales, but you know they do like the three breaths and then the dive. We were so far away. Honestly, a YouTube video would have been the same experience. And I want to go somewhere where you can get close enough where you don't mess with them, but that you see those things. So maybe I just need to dedicate my life to orcus.
Speaker 2: I saw a video recently where it's like a bunch of people jumping in the water and then underneath them was I don't know, thirty humpback whales all traveling together.
Speaker 1: This was co.
Speaker 2: Razy and just see how big they are. It was like truly overwhelming and just like, there's a thing we have no idea, no idea.
Speaker 1: About it, And what do they think of us?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right? Or do they do they not care? Do they think boats are awesome? What if Wales think speedboats are awesome?
Speaker 2: Speedboats are awesome and they hate submarines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't stand the submarine. That's like step in on their territory. But they love the way a speedboat goes boo. They think that's so cool. My god.
Speaker 2: Oh Brooks Wheelan had a joke at Hot Tub the last time he was on, which was do you think do you think whales? Do you think whales get as excited jumping out of the air as we get jumping into the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great question. I think they do, maam. That being said, if I saw one and I was in that boat would have to be pretty big. Killer whales are so smart. They love ripping apart yachts. Oh yeah, it would uh, I would want to be in a very large vest.
Speaker 2: But also that was a trend too, which also has just since disappeared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just they're just funny. I'm telling you, they're just funny.
Speaker 2: They're goofs. I think they're goofs.
Speaker 1: I have a I think I have a story about let me see, I think I had a story about a submarine somewhere on this list of stories. Oh, I do. Maybe it's about about here we go. Kristen Marie sent this bad boy in. Thank you, Kristin Marie, you rock. Happy Holidays. A Navy officer is demoted after sneaking a satellite dish onto a warship to get the Internet. Wait what dude? A Navy officer is demoted after sneak making a satellite dish onto a warship to get the Internet.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: This was in the Associated Press, written by that swing in Associated Press staff San Diego. A US Navy chief who wanted the Internet, so she and the other enlisted officers could scroll on social media blah Czech sports scores and watch movies while deployed. Had an unauthorized STARLINGK satellite dish installed on a warship and lied to her commanding officer to keep its secret.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. It has to have access to the sky. Where are you installing it that no one's going to notice? I guess a warship is very big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably got all kinds of satellite dish things on there.
Speaker 2: That's so crazy, dude.
Speaker 1: It's so bad. Like at Internet, access is restricted while a ship is underway to maintain bandwidth from military operations and to protect against cybersecurity threats. The Navy quietly relieved grizz Well Morrero, a command senior chief of the Littoral Combat Ship Sorry if I'm saying that wrong Litteral or Littoral Combat Ship USS Manchester, and released information on parts of the investigation this week. The Navy Times was first to report the details. Man, how did they get that inside scoop? God? Morrero, a former information systems tech and senior leader, paid twenty eight hundred dollars for a Starlink high performance kit and had it installed April twenty twenty three, prior to deployment of the San Diego based USS Manchester. According to an investigation, she and more than a dozen oh guys other chief petty officers used it to send messages home and keep up with the news. They bought signal amplifiers during a stop in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, after they realized the wireless signal did not cover all areas of this ship.
Speaker 2: Also, no one noticed that there was just this other Wi Fi signal out there, Like anytime you pull up you see the available Wi Fi networks and you just see like starlink, Yeah, and there's also you're at sea, there's just one the one that you're using, and then there's another one.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, and then that not only that. Then they were like, we need to boost this signal. We're not getting it everywhere. We are also addicted to social media. It's nuts to make a risky it's a career, like it's such a bad move. And then it's like, but I gotta see if people like the way I.
Speaker 2: Ate that food.
Speaker 1: Everybody needs to see this delicious meal. Didn't you have a joke about the sunsetting? Like checked Instagram sunset today or something got.
Speaker 2: That used to open with it.
Speaker 1: And how long ago was that?
Speaker 2: That was like two thousand and ten probably yeah, ten or eleven. Yeah, Hey, guys, just want to let you know. I just checked Instagram and the sunset did set today.
Speaker 1: And I always got a big laugh because it was everybody was just sunset.
Speaker 2: Everybody was just posting sunsets back then.
Speaker 1: Now it's just butt, you know how it's just started butt golf, butt fishing. Hey, you got a big butt, do something?
Speaker 2: There's I I recently got served up rocks falling from Great Heights.
Speaker 1: Wow, sign me and.
Speaker 2: They and they put on every video across the thing. We only post rocks falling from Great Heights. It's just big rocks falling down mountains, the whole thing. Every video, there's thousands of videos. It's just giant rocks falling down mountains.
Speaker 1: That's like early Letterman. He would just throw stuff off the top of his building and just let it hit in the alley below, watermelons. TVs didn't matter what it was, and it was like, yeah it was. They did one Letterman. I can't remember the number, but it was a hammock full of eggs. They put chicken eggs on it, and then they had a large person just jump into the hammock and all the eggs broke and yoke like a just an absolute tsunami fell out the bottom. And that was it. That was the whole thing. And I'm like, I'm glad I saw it. Yeah, it seems like a waste of food, but I am glad I saw that.
Speaker 2: I was just served up an old Conan sketch of a guy in a protective gear and Ian Roberts is in the sketch. And Ian Roberts is a dog trainer, and he's like, so we're gonna have Sally's gonna jump in that suit can withstand ten pounds of pressure, so he's gonna be fine. He's been watching just to go for the arm. And then and then they go and Conan goes, all right, let's do it, and then you just see a close up on the dog and the dog's paw comes up with a gut and just shoots the guy.
Speaker 1: I watched it live. I was with my friends in college. I cried laughing, Oh god, it was so good.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it Roberts says, husky, No, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a more innocent time, more innocent time. Those involved also used the Chief Petty Officer Association's debit card to pay off the one thousand dollars monthly starlink bill. Oh god, the network was not shared with rank and file sailors. Morrero tried to hide the network, which she called stinky. The name of the networkert was stinky. What that's crazy by renaming it as a printer, denying its existence, and even intercepting a comment about the network left in the commanding officer's suggestion box. According to the investigation.
Speaker 2: Wait, she renamed it as a printer, as a.
Speaker 1: Stinky the printer. Yeah, you know, Stinky the printer. You know, Stinky the printer, and then you denied existence, and then you intercept a comment about the network left in the commanding officer's suggestion box.
Speaker 2: So she went into the suggestion box and picked it out. Oh my god, that's crazy. Also, what the commanding officer just has like a comment box like it's.
Speaker 1: A yeah, like it's a health teachers class on Friday afternoons. Okay, all right, Marrero did not respond to the ap email seeking comment. That's shocking because you know she's got the internet in March, she was convicted at a court martial where she pleaded guilty to dereliction of duty and providing false official statements to commanders. I mean, this seems so bad, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The Navy Times reported that, and then she was demoted to a chief petty officer after the trial, which must suck. I don't know anything about the hierarchy of the military. A very good reason. I'd be first loser, if that's a thing. They'd be like, first loser. Get over here, yes, sir, yes, sir, right away, sir. I'm a woman. I'm sorry, man, right away, sir. And they're like, get out of here, loser. I just do my penguin walk away, and they're like, he's all right. Marrera was relieved due to a loss of confidence in her leadership. Yeah, she was due to a loss of confidence in her leadership abilities. Yeah, I could see that. Yeah, that's such a funny way to say it. Not that she's a bonehead. Navy senior enlisted leaders are expected to uphold the highest standards of responsibility, reliability, and leadership, and the Navy holds them accountable when they fall short of those standards. Commander Cindy Field said. Last week, a commander of the destroyer USS, John McCain, was relieved of duty after he was seen in a photo firing a rifle with a scope mounted backward, so the scope was on the gun backward. He was shooting it and the image brought the Navy considerable ridicule on social media, so he was relieved of duty. That's that's me. That's first loser, man, first loser. Fire that discharge that weapon? Ay aye man, Sir captain.
Speaker 2: That is that? That seems less malicious and more like, Oh, that's a bummer for this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Maybe he's so good he wants it to be really far away. He he doesn't need any help.
Speaker 2: I like to make it harder on myself. I make it a hundred times farther away.
Speaker 1: It's like shooting through a keyhole. The best damn shot on this US S John McCain, destroyer man. Well, there's something you know. She flew too close to the sun, which is a reoccurring theme of banana stories. People get away with it, but as soon as that come in the she had to intercept that message. That is, when your goose is officially cooked, bail out, yea toss that starlink you know where the biggest goddamn otion in the world, the Pacific Ocean, and played dumb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, shit man, you were you could have gotten away with it. I'll tease this into a thumbs up. Scottie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here it is.
Speaker 2: Swedish man survives in Snowden, car for two months.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, that's a long time. And how many snacks does he have in the glove box? Okay? Thumbs ups, Ruby, My buddy Ruby is thumbing her mom, Laurie up. Laurie came to our North Carolina show, our Raleigh show. Laurie broke her foot while building a sweat lodge in her backyard. She was getting a little crazy with santgri in a sledgehammer and one thing led to another in caple broken foot. Sweat yourself into health soon, Laurie. Thumbs up. Are gonna be okay, feel better soon. Sherry again, my friend who came to our Baltimore Autobar show. Cherry owns Birdie's Cafe and West, which is a great coffee shop. It's got great food, It's got a bookstore in there. It's so charming. If you live in Carroll County, Maryland, go to Birdie's. She's thumbing up her son, Xavier, who left college in Montana to become Sherry's caretaker. Cherry was diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder that required a liver transplant. She got that transplant in August. She's doing better. She's doing well, feeling better every day. But she wants a thumb Xavier up for just being giving twenty four hour care to your mom. What a great guy. And she also wants to thumbs up the organ donor who saved her life and by donating that liver. Absolutely Sherry, Happy Holidays. I'm not going to be in Maryland this year, but last time was Eric Kurt grabbed a coffee, grab lunch, chatted with Shery the whole time. It was fantastic. So glad you're feeling better. Thumbs up, thumbs up. Okay, this one I'm gonna try to get through without tearing up, but we'll see. Heidi phrazy. I believe it's frazy. My apologies if it's Frazzy got married in October to her now husband Chris and wants to thumb him up. But she also wants to thumb her dad up. Heidi's dad has had many health issues throughout his life and recently had to have a leg amputated. His other leg is paralyzed, so he is in a wheelchair full time. Heidi still wanted to do you know, something special at the wedding with her dad, and since they couldn't do a father daughter dance. Growing up, Heidi's dad always took her fishing, so at the reception, while music was playing, they went to the pond at the venue and they went fishing together instead, and they caught a fish, and she says it was incredible, It was such everybody cheered. It was a very special moment and it was so much fun to do. So thumbs up Heidi, and thumbs up to your dad, and thumbs up Chris, your husband too.
Speaker 2: But that's so nice.
Speaker 1: They caught a fish out of the pond at the venue. Amazing, Oh so cool.
Speaker 2: Thumbs up.
Speaker 1: And last one, or at least this is a great one. I think you'll really like to swim Kurt. Victoria Grass is thumbing her three year old son Oliver up. They were in a car accident. They got rear ended and the car flipped over and it landed on Oliver's side and he was quiet the entire time. He was so brave and he never cried. And he was the only one in the car who got a bump. He's okay, it was only a bump. I guess that means on the head. And after a couple hours, Oliver began to process what happened to him, and it was recreating the crash with toy cars and told his older brother he was scared. He wasn't scared, but he didn't like it. Oh wow, what a great attitude. Yeah, thumbs up, Oliver.
Speaker 2: Thumbs up, Oliver. Oh my god, is that great? Yeah, it wasn't scared, but I did. But also I wouldn't recommend it.
Speaker 1: So thanks everybody. Thumbs up to everybody. Happy holidays, everybody would hope everybody's recovering from broken feet and liver transplants and got everything getting a little bump on the head. Glad everybody's doing okay?
Speaker 2: All right? Are you ready for this one? Scottie?
Speaker 1: I love having fun. Let's do it?
Speaker 2: Do you like having fun?
Speaker 1: Scotty? It's my number one thing to do when I'm having a good time.
Speaker 2: This one is in the Guardian.
Speaker 1: That's real.
Speaker 2: That's how we know it's real. It was sent in by the delightful and wonderful.
Speaker 1: Just Me.
Speaker 2: I found about It's an old one. I found it actually, here's where I found it, guys. I found it on survival expert on Instagram. What's an account for about survival stuff? This is from Sweden, written by Lizzie Davies. Lizzie Davies, Swedish Man survived and snowed best in two months. A Swedish Man who spent two months snowed inside his car as temperatures outside dropped to negative thirty degrees celsius.
Speaker 1: Yikes.
Speaker 2: All I know is that at negative forty degrees celsius it meets back up with fahrenheit, So negative forty fahrenheit and negative forty celsius of this.
Speaker 1: Time, I'm running the numbers over here.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's negative.
Speaker 1: Thirty SELFI celsius in fahrenheit is? Uh wow? That did Google's like, we're not going to finish that sentence for you. Minus twenty two.
Speaker 2: Minus twenty two very cold. Minus twenty two is the coldest I've ever been in Montreal, Canada. And I will tell you what negative twenty two feels like. You can have a full winter coat on a very warm winter coat, gloves, hat, scarf, and then if you don't have snow pants on, if you just have like jeens on, it is exactly one block, one city block before your legs start to go numb. What it is so cold as you're walking, it hurts, the wind hurts on your legs. And then after one block your legs start to like like they're you know, they're not like going into hypothermia or anything, but you know, it gets to the point where when they're warming up again, they get that tingle in that yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh. Shout out to our Antarctic. We have Antarctica been animals. I know a Leah Green. We send you a sweatshirt at some point, but she was at Palmer Station. I'm sure it's summer there now, I guess. But the videos out of Antarctica are wild. So shout out to everybody down there who's a ban animal? How you doing? Maybell come visit one day, I don't know.
Speaker 2: A Swedish man has spent two months known inside his cars temperatures dropped to negative thirty, is awake and able to communicate, according to the hospital treating him, while stun doctors believe he was kept live by the igloo effect of his vehicle. The man, believed to be Peter Skielberg, forty four, who was found near the northeastern town of Umeh In Friday on Friday by passers by, told police he'd been in the car since December nineteenth without food, surviving only by eating snow and staying inside his warm clothes and sleeping bag. Doctor Ulf Segerberg, the chief medical officer at New Orleans University Hospital, said he never seen a case like it. The man had probably been kept alive, he said, by the natural warming properties of his snowed in car, which would have acted as the equivalent of an igloo. This man obviously had good clothes, he had a sleeping bag, and he's been in a car that's been snowed over. Igloos usually have a temperature of a couple of degrees below zero centimeter centigrade, meaning like thirty degrees or something, and if you have good clothes, you would survive in those temperatures and be able to preserve your body temperature. Obviously has managed to preserve his body temperatary. He wouldn't have made it because us humans can't really stand being down like reptile, for instance. I don't know why he says the shrep dolls.
Speaker 1: Well, that's how we stay in charge.
Speaker 2: Two months. Two months was at the upper limit of what a person would be able to survive without food, added Segerberg. Skielberg was found amazated, very weak by a pair of snowmobilers who thought they'd found a crashed car. They dug down through about a meter of snow to seats driver lying on the back seat in a sleeping bag. They're amazed at what they found. A man in his mid forties huddled inside his sleeping bag, stary, starving, barely able to move or speak. A rescular told the local newspaper, Vaster Bolton's curin, it's just incredible that he's alive, considering he has no food, but also since it has been really cold for some time after Christ, how did he get here? Why isn't this earlier in the fucking article?
Speaker 1: How did he end.
Speaker 2: Up in his car? They just keep talking about, like the igloo effect works. We don't need there's a whole other paragraph on the goddamn igloo effect, but skeptical with it. Still, this is crazy.
Speaker 1: Buried in snow, there's nowhere.
Speaker 2: It doesn't. It just ends. The whole article just ends. It doesn't. My god, that was so that's so insane. That is crazy, just talking about how cold he must have been. And also why.
Speaker 1: Do people get so up in arms snowmobiles. They are like, it's snow machines. Have you ever heard of people that correct you? And they're like, it's a snow machine, But why isn't it called a snowter cycle? Better name. I'm gonna hop on the snowt cycle, take it out for a ride, take a cruise. And there is a bar up in Carroll County, in Westminster and it had snowmobile parking. It has snowbill, it's had snowmobile parking. This was in Maryland. It was up root there and oh got it. It was so damn I'm forgetting the name. But in the winter you would see snowmobile tracks cutting through cornfields and parked there. People would rather motorcycle or snowtorcycle and drink and then go away. And that I never got to do it, but boy, that sounds fun.
Speaker 2: It really does. Have you ever seen the people who do the snow machines snowmobiles on water?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very fun. Yeah, they seem like no problem. It seems like no problem.
Speaker 2: Seems so crazily like problem doing in the ocean. But then it's like it is a Yeah, it's like a thousand pound machines. Yeah, the instant it slows down, it just sinks directly to the bottom.
Speaker 1: No you better, Yeah, you got to open that thrott away up and lean back and go go, go, go go. I love snow machines. They are so fun. I've only ridden them two times, and man, they're fun.
Speaker 2: My dad was really into snowmobiles. He lived in Michigan, and I was just never it was always a child. I was always a child when I would have do these things. It was I never had the equipment that would make it pleasant for me, exactly everyone else did. And I'm from New Jersey and so I had like flimsy gloves, and so it would just be like there was one time we went across Lake Michigan to Mackinaw Island, so like it is, it's many many miles and it's a frozen lake at that.
Speaker 1: Point windy, and it's.
Speaker 2: Super windy, and where I'm driving my own snowmobile, I'm like eleven or something. Yeah, and it and my thumbs were like as if someone had cut them both off. It hurt that much from the wind and there was never any and I was just like, I'm cold and my dad was like that's fine. Yes, never any consideration of like is the child does the child have enough warm clothes on? It was fucking crazy. And then I remember going we went through snowmobile through like Yellowstone. At one point, my dad had money, my mom did not, so when I would visit my dad, we would do these crazy things. So yeah, so it was crazy, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. I did the same thing I was a kid. I was riding one in Maryland and we were on a big farm that went to the woods and it was all these older guys and it was a couple young because I was in middle school and same thing. My thumbs got so cold. Yeah, and then we were like The fun thing was we were crossing streams like we were. You know, the trail would go through the woods and you come down, you go literally across the stream, and since we were the kids, me in the back, the older guys would rev them and throw as much mud on us as we could. And my hands the gloves covered in mud got frozen to the throttle, so that when we got back to the farm, I just had to pull my hands out of the gloves and then we had to like work the frozen mud gloves off the machine later. But like my thumbs were so called because they were covered in wet mud that froze them.
Speaker 2: And you had to use your thumb to hold the throttle the throttle down, yeah, which I never understood why it wasn't just like a regular motorcycle where you.
Speaker 1: Just turned to twisted.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are things. Shout out to Jesse's the moora or a bananimal who keeps winning those ice fishing tournaments that he called the Bananas Funnels, Like go do it? Then he won like three in a row. He came to Banana's fest and got our signature's tattooed on his leg. Oh, Jesse, win it again this year. But also I want to go ice fishing with that dude. He was a super nice guy.
Speaker 2: All right, dude, send us home.
Speaker 1: Ooh god, they're flying by. Okay, this one's fun.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Deanna Knutsen sent this in Thank you. Deanna, you send a lot of good stories. We respect you, we honor you. Thank you for being a great pen animal. Uh. This was in news eighteen, written by that Swing and Buzz news staff. H. So you know it's gonna be a dumb story. US pastor uses his MMA skills to save a church from an axe wielding burglar. Now that is a headline. Also, this is a real story. It was in a bunch of news. I was like, is this onion? Yeah, no, this is real. An axe wielding burglar was trying to break into the First Family Church in Antioch got caught by the pastor, Nick Nevies. The incident began shortly after midnight, when an alarm alerted Nevies about the break in. Upon arriving, Nevies found a shattered window and the intruder attempting to flee with stolen goods. The burglar attempted to run away, which led to a physical struggle in the church's parking lot. All Right, as I went to walk into the building, the suspect was coming out with a handful of our stuff, Nevi's told Fox News Digital. I told him to stop, basically putting him under a citizen's arrest. He added, nevis at s a wasted little time jumping into action. He is trained in mixed martial arts, including jiu jitsu and kickboxing. Quote. I practiced jiu jitsu and I did a little bit of kickboxing training also in the past, so I know how to defend myself, the pastor explained.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, cool.
Speaker 1: The pastor was able to grab a hold of the suspect. A struggle ensued for about twelve to fifteen minutes. Wow, okay, that is a long time to wrestle.
Speaker 2: It's a long time. Think about it. I don't even want to roll matches.
Speaker 1: Imagine just rolling back and forth on the ground by yourself for fifteen minutes.
Speaker 2: I'm tired, so crazy, it's so crazy.
Speaker 1: Actually, that's what it's not going to do. I'm going to kil my gym membership and just roll on the floor back and forth for fifteen minutes. Maybe I had some screaming U. He was very aggressive, but I did my best to subdue him without doing any true harm. Heavy's added Throughout the struggle, Nevy's relied on his prior experience to keep the situation as contained as possible using positioning. He said, I tried to maintain back control and that he wasn't able to strike me. Effectively, he stated, despite being in the middle of an intense altercation, Nevis did call nine to one one. During the physical altercation with the intruder. We were on the ground, and then I see this is also like you and I don't go to church. We're not religious guys. Yeah no, mo, but you could convince me to go listen to one sermon from this guy. I mean, hell yeah, he protects his flock. This is a shepherd that's protecting his flock today.
Speaker 2: The homily is about how to use the phone while wrestling folks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes you're wrestling with the devil and you got to reach out to someone. The original nine to one one jod herself is.
Speaker 2: A letter from Paul to the Pithians about rolling around.
Speaker 1: The Jiu Jitsuians. We were on the ground. I dragged him to where my phone was located and called the Antioch Police Department, who arrived and took the suspect into custody. Tharties later reported that he had an axe on him, which they said he used to break into the church, and they recovered it as evidence. I thirties referred to the incident as a battle of good and evil. Okay, we'll let it happen this time. Yeah, because it's in a church parking lot and it is the actual pastor. Yeah, we'll let him have this one. They also commended Nevies for having the bravery to go against the intruder. Okay, he had God on his side. If you have Jod on your side, go for it. Go and you can. If you have jiu Jitsu and John, you're almost there. In a sermon following the incident, Nevi's reflected on the encounter, thanking Jod for his safety while reiterating his commitment to helping others. God was very gracious and protected me from much harm there and quote he told the news outlet. And he also hoped that the burglar would think twice about the direction of his life. See that's I think he needed to do more. Think they need to get that burglar in that church and have them repent in front of everybody. I think this is a moment that they can really reel some people in. Oh yeah, give outside, put it on the thing outside, Yeah, put it on, Come on, put the thing out there. Well, you also hoped. The amount of the total damage from the break in was estimated to be about two thousand dollars, but mostly just due to the broken windows. That isn't deterring Nevis from continuing his church's mission to serve their community. First Family Church operates a food pantry which serves approximately one hundred and thirty families from the local areas each week. That's awes sums up to First Family Church for.
Speaker 2: You guys for listening to this episode.
Speaker 1: Combs up to you, Curdie b. Congrats on all your recent TV success. You've been on TV a lot this week. That's very exciting.
Speaker 2: Yep, gotta go do it right now, baby, Go.
Speaker 1: Have fun your little fanny off bananaals skit kinder or not meaner as you go. Be nice to each other. Everybody. Have a safe and happy holiday from the Banana Boys. Bananas Bananas is an exactly right media production.
Speaker 2: Our producer and engineer is Katie Levine.
Speaker 1: The catchy Bananas theme song was composed and performed by Kahan.
Speaker 2: Artwork for Bananas was designed by Travis Millard.
Speaker 1: And our benevolent overlords are the Great Karen Kilgareff and Georgia Hartstart
Speaker 2: And Lisa Maggott is our full human, not a robot intern