Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to I've never said this before with me Tommy di Dario. Spider Man Brand New Day is easily one of the most anticipated movies of the year, and today I have a guest son who's been pretty tight lipped about anything related to this movie and his role. And let me be clear, this is not a spoiler Phil conversation, So you can feel free to listen to this ahead of the release of the film, or if you've watched the movie, you're gonna really enjoy this. The conversation is a celebration, a celebration of my guests, the brilliant Michael Mando, who is stepping into the role of a villain after appearing in the MCU almost a decade ago. Can you believe that? And we're going to be hearing from him what it's like being on a Spider Man set, what it's like working with Tom Holland and playing a villain, and did he have anxiety and fear about playing a villain, and what his personal fan favorite things in the MCU are. And you know, we ask some some fun questions. He doesn't reveal anything, don't worry, but we get a little insight into his mind. So my MCU my Spider Man fans are love this conversation, and we're also celebrating some other great work of Michael's and hearing some inspiring words that man, they really stayed with me since our chat. So let's see if today we can get Michael to say something that he has never said before. Michael Mando, how are you, my man? Oh, I'm psyched to have you. You have a lot going on. I'm surprised we caught youa it's like catch you if you can.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. I appreciate it. Nice to be here, Nice to be in New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you like New York.
Speaker 2: I love New York. Every time I'm in New York, it's like a new city sick and every time, depending where I'm staying at and I look at New York, it's like looking at a new city. It's and depending what season you're in, yeah, it also feels different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love I love New York. Oh my god, Well we're happy to have you. Welcome to the city.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Ah God, we have a lot to get into. I'm going to dive right in because we are so psyched for Spider Man. I mean, nine years ago, let me set the stage. Nine years ago, we were introduced to your character Scorpion right in Spider Man Homecoming, and it was a little glimpse of him in that mid credit tease, right, we saw a little piece of him. Have you been waiting for this moment all these years later?
Speaker 2: You know? It's funny. I didn't think I was going to come back, So it honestly didn't cross my mind. I mean, at the beginning, you kind of think about it and you go, maybe it will and then at some point you just stop thinking about it. When they called me back, we got a couple of meetings and I knew, you know, this is arguably going to be one of the biggest films of all time, at least at the box office, and it's an amazing team and I love Tom Holland and destined director, and it was just exciting. I think there's a sense of gratitude, You're like, Wow, I get to go back on this gigantic stage. But then there's also with that sense of gratitude a sense of responsibility where you go, all right, this is a huge character. I need to make sure that we get it right, you know what I mean. So there's both of those axles happening at the same time.
Speaker 1: So you really had no idea back then that one day you would be a key villain in a future movie. Like, no one clued you in, no one had a conversation with you back then. It was just kind of this little cliffhanger and then nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, that's the way the industry works, you know, like, you know you could do it, you do your thing. I mean it was interesting because I had a scene in the middle of that film that was cut in the middle of Homecoming, So you know, this is how the industry works. It's you kind of get used to it as an actor, and you kind of say to yourself, you know this. You trust these people who are running these amazing franchises that they know what they're doing and that they're going to do what's best for the franchises. And your job is to serve in any bait in any way you can, as the actor, as the character that you both agree to collaborate on. And in that particular case, you know, it was just love and I said, you know what, that's fine, let's let it go, let's move on. And but I'll tell you I was very grateful to get the call, and they're just as pleasant as ever. And the vibe on that movie was really awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So the scene that was cut, well, first of all, do you remember what that scene was?
Speaker 2: I remember getting I don't even know if I should be I feel like I'm talking maybe too candidly. I don't know. I mean, it's not it's not a bad thing. I mean I received a really nice handwritten letter from somebody on high up saying how much they liked the scene, and I was really excited for it. And I remember bringing my father to the premiere.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that scene came and went and I was like, wait because you didn't know it was cut.
Speaker 2: And then and then though, the credit scene that was in the movie was actually an ad R scene, so meaning none of the dialogue was original because we were shot it in the prison in Atlanta, and the prison the people who were the I don't know what the right word to say, but the people who were jailed there were very loud, you know, they were like yelling and fighting and stuff. So we had to re record. So I didn't really, you know, particularly feel very confident about that scene because I said, you know, it's all a dr it's none of it is the original audio. So as an actor you kind of generally like it to be the original audio because that's when you had your body into it and you know, the atmosphere and everything was right. Doesn't mean you can't do it better in an ADR session, but you know, so we try to make it as well as we can. But then that was a lesson when you go, oh wow, that was like a moment, alerting moment for me as an actor. And I think the trick is you just take it in strides, you take it in love, and you say, you know, what's meant to be is meant to be, and it's okay.
Speaker 1: You know, man, now I'm dying to know what that scene was.
Speaker 2: It was a scene in the It was a scene in the middle, in the on the ferry, on the in the boat. I mean, I was the scene was there. It's just it was like cut to basically almost like a you know, very short, and you realize that's just the nature of the industry, you know. And I work on music sometimes I do it as a hobby and you bring in session musicians and they'll do like an amazing guitar lick and you'll realize it doesn't fit in the film Man, and that's so, and it doesn't fit in the song, and you cut it and you realize, all right, that's don't any of that personal.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah you can. I mean it's it's it's they got to do what they have to do to tell the story they need to tell, right.
Speaker 2: And clearly they're doing a great job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one hundred percent, one hundred percent. It's so wild, though, what a journey from from that first you know, Glimpse into Scorpion all those years ago, and then you see all these other movies coming out from then to now in the Spider Man franchise, like I would be like, hey, am I coming back?
Speaker 2: Did you forget it at the beginning? I think you think about it. You know, sometimes your reps will reach out, But you know, I I'm really good. I moved around so much in my life. I traveled a lot before the age of like twenty five, and lived in so many different places. I think I've learned to let go. I mean, in some things it's easy and some things it's hard. Something's personal emotionally, sometimes it's hard to let go. But in like the business side of things I've learned to like, all right, this isn't this isn't an open door. Go somewhere else. There's not. I think my advice to actors is especially younger actors, is it's it's not personal. You know, none of that is personal. It's all you know. There's this Sometimes you could be so good at something and it doesn't mean that because they said no in an audition or whatever, it is that you're not great and that you were that you're wrong thinking you nailed it. So that's that's not the way I think life works. It's not a no is not always means no you're not good enough. Yeah, sometimes it's just not the right time for you.
Speaker 1: That's a good reminder too, because you know it's life too. You can't control why things happen, and you can't sit there spiraling about it either because you don't know. I mean, I don't know what you don't know. But easier said than that percent We've all been there. I've spiraled a million times in my life. You know what happens. But what's your trick?
Speaker 2: What do you do when you when you spiral, you hear that little demon voice in your head that starts going like whatever, whatever it is that it says, how do you get yourself back?
Speaker 1: I try, And this is gonna sound really corny, but I try as hard as I can to root myself in what I'm great for in the moment. Yeah, like, Okay, this might not be going the way I want, but this is also happening at the same time, and wow, how lucky I am to have that, and like, thank you for allowing me to have that at least, And yeah, we'll figure that piece out when we need to. So yeah, just kind of checking myself too. You know, it's hard. It's not like you said, we all do it. It's not easy. But you're supposed to be where you're supposed to be, and you're supposed to be a damn villain right now. Man, You're supposed to be a villain in the end to see you, I mean, that's like a golden role that artists dream of playing, and here you are doing it. And with that comes pressure and a lot of expectation. Do you let that freak you out? Or has that freak you out? When you were bringing that character to life?
Speaker 2: I remember I was in London, we were shooting Spider Man. We had just finished shooting that scene in the trailer, you know where I'm fighting Spider Man in a trailer that came out and I saw the Scorpion character standing on top of me on my bed and the room was on fire. And I woke up and I was petrified, and I said, what the hell? How can I be afraid of something? I'm a character that I'm playing. So that was, you know, I don't know if that was an insight into what was happening in my subconscious, but there is an element of pressure that you bury, I guess sometime and you say to yourself, all right, all I can do is my best and take it one step out of time. It's like a basketball player. You've got the you know, you've got the rim, and it's you know, fourth quarter, two seconds left, you make the shot and you win the championship. Yeah you don't. Everyone's going to know it's you. You can't be thinking about that. You've got to clear your mind and just think about the love of the game, the love of what you do, and just let it go. Yeah, you know, and trust and let it go, Just trust that it's all there.
Speaker 1: So is there something you absolutely had to get right? In bringing this role to life, where you're like, I gotta nail this part of it.
Speaker 2: All of it, man. But I put that pressure on me with everything I do. I don't take anything. You know, if I did a short film in between movies last year and it was a it's called Boyfighter. It's on Hulu, and I literally got paid like one dollar for it. I literally did it for free.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I just thought it's a great script, and I thought, you know, I like this character, and I approached it like it was, you know, the biggest movie in the world, and I gave everything I had to it. So the pressure I'm used to putting that pressure on myself no matter what I do, healthy amount of pressure, because going into a character is a skill. That's kind of what we're focusing on now. But when I say healthy pressure, you also got to learn to come out. And that's a skill. Like you know, you and I are doing this interview now, when we cut, you got to learn to just go back to normal, go back to life. Knowing, for example, people are going to see this interview and maybe judge you on it or whatever. You still got to go back to normal, realize this is done now, it's like Michael the human being going on operate. What am I going to have for lunch? And call your loved ones and think about your cat or whatever it is, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I always say that, like, you can't have a real rich life if your whole identity is just wrapped up on the work you're doing. And it's a big piece of what we do. Obviously it's a very different kind of business we're in. But you got to have that balance. You got to go turn it off sometimes.
Speaker 2: You got to do it all the time. Yeah, you guys, as a matter of fact, you have to do it every time. Yeah, I think or else it's it really catches up to you. It's unhealthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as a.
Speaker 2: Young actor, I didn't know how to turn it off because you because you're you're literally affecting your body. You know, Like someone says to you, how is your day right at work as an actor and you say it was amazing, and you said, what did you do? Well? I killed somebody and then I had sex with someone in the hallway, and then it got into a car crash, and then I yelled at someone and someone yelled back at me. And those are all your scenes right, and your body is affected because you're actually yelling and you're actually falling in mind you it's all fake obviously, but your body is exercising some muscles. So was that really a good day for anyone else in the world? It would have been a horrible day. And you got your body's got to learn to just you know, different, reset as quickly as it can.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, especially playing a darker role or a villain or you know, something that's not who you are day to day, which I think is a really interesting job that you have and a piece of what you do which is so fascinating. You earlier lit up when you brought up your boy, Tom Holland like your whole face.
Speaker 2: Everybody loves Tom.
Speaker 1: He's a great I just saw him. I was covering the carpet for the Odyssey for a show I work on called Extra and he's just like the nicest human in the world. So how was it getting to see him bring this iconic role of life and transform into him up close and personal.
Speaker 2: He's great. I met him ten years ago. And his partner is also grades and Die is also great, and the director Destin is also It's a really good group. Look you look at Tom and you can't help but respect and admire and love what he's done for himself. He's created a beautiful career in a beautiful life, and I think, you know, anyone who wants to see good in the world wants to see more of that, especially in younger people, and go like, yes, that's a good example. There there you go. You know, his life is firing family man. His family's around, doing good at work, helping everybody, giving his beautiful opinion on on the inside of the scenes, and yen, you know his parents are there watching with his dog. So it's like it's like, yes, more more of that in the world, for sure.
Speaker 1: We want the good guys to win.
Speaker 2: More of that. Yes, more more people like that for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What's it like doing a fight scene together? Are you two just sewing the zone? Do you break? Do you laugh? Do you kick the shit out of each other? And then go grab a beer? I mean, what is it like?
Speaker 2: I think? I think? I mean, you know, you do we tell, you know, people talk between takes and stuff, But I think in this particular case, you're my mind. I always thinking about the scene and like, like, how do we get to the other point and what to do there. So you're kind of it's almost like a fixed up putting together a puzzle this, you know, especially because it's kind of although I've been a little bit in the other one, it's kind of like a new genre for me, those kinds of scenes. Yeah, so my mind was trying to figure out a little bit, you know, how how do I get to this point and stuff like that. But it's great. Sometimes you pinch yourself and you look around and you go, wow, this is the iconic you know, Pinewood Studio theater in London where they shot like all these incredible movies, And here you are on one of the biggest movies in the world, and you're surrounded by people who are at the top of their game, and you're going, this is pretty cool. I'm lucky to be here. I'm grateful to be here, and I'll do everything I can. Speaking of what happens, I saw a shooting Star, I saw Double Rainbow. Sometimes you look up and you see like a shooting Star and studio and you go, what.
Speaker 1: Can't this is my life? Yeah, here on set, I mean, the biggest franchises in the world. I feel like i'd be bawling, like walking on that side.
Speaker 2: You're very grateful. Like I said, it's two it's like two emotions. It's like gratitude and responsibility. If I think you need to just be like all right, I'm still here to do a job, and I hope I do it as well as I can. I will do it as well as I can. I hope it's good enough, you know.
Speaker 1: Kind of thing. Yeah, yeah, And aside from the emotions, you have to bring in all of that. You know, it's a physical role. I mean you're physically very active in this. Did you feel like you were ready for it? Did you get injured? Like how do you keep your body?
Speaker 2: Yeah? When you have to. I mean the character moves in a lot of like side movements. He does a lot of very like snappy side movements. And I quickly realized, all right, I need to work out for that particular movement. So I started. They had a great trainer there and she was helping us, helping me with those movements, helping me stretch before and after a couple of times. It's especially like later into the night, your back would cramp up and you need like the the people from like the medics to come and like press it down and open it up and stuff because your back will just spasm. But it's worth it. It's I love that stuff and I try to do as much of the stunts as I could. But there are some of those stunts that are like, like I couldn't do it. It's like you're flying into a car and it's like full speed. And those stunt guys, I mean, they they really take it, and I have so much respect for them. I see them and you look at them and you go, you okay, and they just nod and you go that must hurt. And they do it again like a time. So respect to the stunts.
Speaker 1: Respects a hard job, and they do it. Dan.
Speaker 2: I mean, Tom does a lot of his stunts too. He does He does a lot of the acrobatic stuff and all that stuff. I'm referring for my particular case, I'm referring mostly to the hits. Those are like hard to do it. Man.
Speaker 1: I'm like sitting here feeling so proud of you for taking on this role because it's such a big deal. Right, Like I said, we've been waiting for almost a decade for your portrayal of Scorpion, so it seems like you think we'll be pretty happy with it.
Speaker 2: What do I think if people will be happy with it? I can tell you I give my ale. You know, I think it's no longer in my hands. I did everything I could. I'm proud of what I did. But you know, you got to let it go, and you just get it's no longer mine, you know what I mean, Like it's it's in the editors, it's in the directors in marvels, it's in the audience's hands. It belongs to the world now, and you just got to like let it go and just say, you know, I hope it works out.
Speaker 1: Does it feel like a fraternity being in an MCU movie, like between like meeting other actors who play superheroes or villains, Like, do you guys link up? Do you talk? Do you have a forever bond because you're in this world together?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, there's dinners and it's like only villains, and then there's just only hero No. Yeah, you know, you you try to build a friendship and a fraternity everywhere you can. I think community is super important, and you try to do it anywhere you can, you know. I remember on Spider Man a lot of the cast members would meet up and have cigars or go for a drink, or there's a camaraderie because you all know what's going on and the pressure that you're under, but also the blessing that you're under. Yeah, and it's kind of nice to share that because the other person gets it, especially if it's like a first time or whatever. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's sick man to kind of put a pin in this portion of the conversation. There's a lot of speculation out there that your scorpion is going to eventually turn into venom? Have you heard those rumors?
Speaker 2: I know that that's what happens in the commence, So.
Speaker 1: A lot of people wondering comment on that.
Speaker 2: I can't comment on anything. Okay, I think I think Marvel would have me. Yeah, I can't comment on anything. I can tell you know, this character has so much potential. It was one of the reasons when they when it was offered to me, I was really excited to play Mac Gargan. And I remember, this is kind of crazy, but I had two incidents when you bring up venom. When I was a kid, they had this in art school. We had to cut up these kind of like magazines and do a collage. I was like maybe eleven years old and I had Spider Man and mac Gargan's rendition of Venom, and I remember as a kid, I couldn't help but gravitate towards the Venom character. It's like the way his tongue, the mac Gargan, you know, one with the big tongue and everything. And then the second thing like that happened when I remember when I first came to La first time in my life. I was like thirty four thirty five, first time I've ever been to La. I walked into a store and I bought a Venom hoodie. So it when when they offered me the role, I looked it up and I was like, oh my god, that's the you know, so there's there's like little winks like that where the universe kind of goes maybe someone's watching, you know what I mean. Maybe this isn't all a coincidence. Yeah, and you know, you take it with a great assault. But since we are speaking about fantasy worlds, it's kind of nice to think maybe there's a little bit of magic to life.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, man, you know, it beats the alternative you know, I rather think like that than not. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: What's the word when someone is thinks the world is conspiring for you know, paranoia when.
Speaker 1: You're like almost like a yeah, paranoia or like conspiracy theory.
Speaker 2: That is when you think the world is conspiring for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have ever heard of that word.
Speaker 2: I'm not one of those. I wish I was one of those people that thought everything is conspiring for me, right, But there's a word for that, do you know.
Speaker 1: It's Stephanie like conspiring for it. It's almost like like like not manifesting, but like no, no, no, when it's positive, it's like a positive.
Speaker 2: It's the opposite of the paranoid. It's when you think like everything's happening.
Speaker 1: For your good, like everything happens for a well no, not for a reason for good. Right, So there're gonna think, I'm gonna think that there is the like two am on gonna wake up and be like, ship, I wish I had it? Well, that's that's first of all. I love those stories because, yeah, I'm with you. I believe there's a little magic in the world and it was almost meant to be this way. So that's awesome. You're also one of the very few actors I can't think of many who are part of the m c U and the DC world. Yeah, I mean, that's insane. You're voicing Bane and that's coming out later this year.
Speaker 2: It's coming out in August. I think I can say that. I hope I can say that. That's a trilogy film, rated R animation film, and man, that was like a real childhood geek moment for me. Really, dude, I've you know, haven't had those moments a lot in my career where I just like, I was like wow, Actually that's not true. I think, let me rephrase it. I've had those moments before in my career, but they're so rare where you kind of like you. When I was on the first time on Better Call Saul was a moment where I go wow. When far Cry three hit and I was playing vas and Farkry three, I was like wow. Spider Man set and then Bain is another one of those moments, and when I saw that's what I mean, you know, there's like four or five of them. You get where you go, I can't believe. And now I'm in Gundam, right, that's another moment. Yeah, where you go, where you go? Wow, this is unreal. And when I saw myself as Baine fighting Batman in the cartoon in an R rated version, I was like, Wow, this is crazy. That was really fun, really really fun.
Speaker 1: And he's I mean he's a badass. Like to play another bad ass.
Speaker 2: Ban is awesome. I mean it's interesting because in that in that rendition he outsmarts Batman. So there's like a trilogy and it gets really dark, and it was a great experience. Man. They they ended up we had so much fun in the voice session that they ended up basing the animation completely off of the voice session, so I never redid the voice for the animation. The animation was molded around this kind of like shooting in the dark voice performance, and that was just like such a beautiful thing to just see, like they kept all these instincts and they actually shaped the movements and everything around the voice, which is usually the opposite you're usually matching the animation.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was so cool man.
Speaker 1: What cool experience is I mean this this conversation is coming out a few days before Spider Man drops, and and you know the DC Worlds. You also have seventy two Hours, which is out on Netflix. Yeah, totally different than what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: When you do a comedy, you know, and came my way and Tim Story is great director, and I met him before, and obviously Kevin Hart and Marcelo Hernandez and all these guys from the SNL cam and all you know, all of them their goodman. You know, all these guys are awesome. And I said, yeah, I'll do it. It was it was funny because I had like, literally, I think like two or three weeks free before I had to go to London, and they said, you're not gonna believe this. You could shoot a movie right before you go shoot a spider Man and you want to do a comedy with Kevin Hart. And I go, yeah, let's do it. And there's some cool cameos in that one too. You'll see it when you'll you'll know when you see it.
Speaker 1: We're psyched for that. I mean, how do you say no to a Kevin Hart movie?
Speaker 2: Come on, it's funny, man. I think Kevin Heart's funny. I think all those guys are funny. I wanted to do a comedy, yeah, And it was so nice to sort of get on set and realize, like you know, you're you're, You're all there to make each other laugh a little bit, and it's kind of cool. I enjoyed. I definitely want to do more comedy well.
Speaker 1: And you have such a great range to being an actor and to your craft. You're one of these dudes that can go from so insanely likable in your role is to absolutely terrifying at the drop of a hat. And that takes a skill that takes like true, true skill to be able to do that. And it's hard to imagine a world where you weren't ever pursuing acting because you just belong in it. But this wasn't your dream as a kid.
Speaker 2: No, man, It's weird, dude. I didn't start acting till I was like almost in my mid twenties. I love it, And I didn't move to the States till I was in my mid thirties, so my career was like so late. I look at like some of the young kids and I go, wow, you've been doing this for how long? I'm like, so I started really really late. I and more than that, I started film even later because I started in theater. But you know, the person, the reason why I'm an actor is because of my father. My father had convinced a girlfriend of mine at the time to put it in my head that I should be an actor. And I didn't know that he did that until I was on TV and I had a couple of roles, guest star roles and stuff on TV, and I found out that he was the one who first planted that idea through my girlfriend for me to pursue acting because he knew or thought that if he had told me erectly, I wouldn't have listened. I would have thought, what do you know, I don't want to do this thing, you know. But so my father, God bless me, passed away. But my father is my hero, you know, he really is, and he's he's the reason I'm here. You know, I owe everything to him. So you say, I guess he saw it. Maybe I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's really cool, man, And I like I like that you are someone who is showing you can achieve things at different points of your life. I think the narrative often is you are born and you have to know what you want to do and that's what you're gonna be. And it's like that's just not always the reality, And I think there's never an expiration date on trying to go for something, and you clear something in you was like, all right, my girlfriend at the times pushing it, but I don't know. I want to do it, like something was calling you to do it.
Speaker 2: You know, I used to like for first. It's funny, you know, speaking of that. My neighbor is a musician, and we were talking. He's like, you know, I'm too old to make music right now, and I go, why He goes, you know, it's like a young man's game, and I go, you're telling me that your point of view as a thirty year old, thirty five year old is not important. You think we only need to hear people tell their emotional stories of a specific age. Man, I want to hear stories music from people who are eighty and ninety. I want to know what that feels like. I want to know what it feels like to be sixty. I want to know what it feels like to be fifty. I want to know what it feels like to come from here. So there is no right. There is no such thing as, in my opinion, an expiry date on expression. On the contrary, I think we want to encourage people from all ages, in all walks of life to express themselves and to do it confidently, because we need it now more than ever. You know, we need different points of views that will challenge us. When did you know that you wanted to do this hosting?
Speaker 1: When did I know? I knew probably around thirty two thirty two, So you I just turned forty this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you started.
Speaker 1: And I started. I had a very weird journey, which we'd be here forever talking about it. But I started as an actor, then went to Corporate America, then missed the business.
Speaker 2: Start acting first and then corporate. Usually it's the opposite. Someone would quit corporate now now.
Speaker 1: It's like a why, and then missed the business but didn't want to go into acting necessarily. So I said, I love it. I want to cover it like an act. I want to cover it. Ye talk to artists, So it's cool, I I you know. And it's funny because now if I meet other hosts or people who want to do this, I always say, like act, like do improv, like get out of your head and out of your body so you can have a conversation. There's a lot of similarities between the two of the jobs. But yeah, no, I'm so. I'm a big proponent of doing things on your own timeline, which stuff and I over here we're talking about the other day, and there's no set timeline to achieve things, and I think it's really cool. And I also believe you can be an artist even when no one's looking at your work.
Speaker 2: Dude. To me, art like artist means you're expressing yourself. And to me, if you're expressing yourself honestly, you're a good artist. You know. You know, like the words I love you, right if you just if you mean it, it's beautiful, you don't A child can say it and it's like the greatest performance ever and you're like, yes, that can You could sell anything with that that cute, innocent, beautiful face going I love you, mommy, and you go, man, yeah, I'll buy it, how much? You know what I mean? So, I think art is just expressing yourself, and I think to be a good artist, be honest, and everything else from there is craft, and you know, you can learn technique and all that stuff. So to anyone out there who wants to do any kind of expressive I think if you're honest, you're good. You're good fail fail honestly, it's okay, you know what I mean. So I think to me, people say, oh, you must be a great liar, you're an actor, And I say, well, I don't think I'm trying to lie. If you catch me lying, then I'm a bad actor. I'm so that's why I hope to tell the truth. So I'm looking for the truth in things so that I don't have to worry about lying on camera. But I'm kind of focused on telling the truth.
Speaker 1: And hearing that from someone like you who is so accomplished, I think really resonates with a lot of people who are listening, because it's just a good reminder man, and your work has brought so much joy to so many people, and your artistry has. I mean, I would ever missed if I didn't bring up Better Call Better Soul, because it was just a fan favorite role for you playing Nacho in that, And what do you miss the most about doing that? There's been some space and time now, right.
Speaker 2: It's been three years, I think since that show aired. Three years. I wrote to Vince Gillian a couple of weeks ago, and just so I saw Pluribus and I wrote to ray Seahorn, who's the star of that show, who was on her She's great, And I was just like, you know, it's this thing. You know, what do I miss about it? You know again, I don't. I'm not a type of that goes backwards. I don't go backwards. But I can tell you that what I loved about it when I think about it the most was just being on that stage and looking at the sunset and knowing that you're part of a project where the from the creators of the project all the way down to the gaffers, everyone was paying attention to every detail. And when you're working on a piece of art like that, you can't help but think that you can't help but look at the world like a Swiss army, like a beautifully done watch, Like everything has its place. So there's a sense of like knowing. I don't know how to explain it more than that, like you read the script and you know every word is weighted, every comments waited, and you're there watching the sunset and you go there is order in all this chaos, And I remember that feeling of bliss. You know, That's what I remember when I think of better call Saul of like just that sunset and going like things makes sense, you know what I mean? I love that that's the memory I have a federical song.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of people want to see Nacho again. A lot of people want to see him in some way, shape or form. Is that something you'd ever revisit?
Speaker 2: Look, anytime Vince wants me to do anything, I'll do it. Vince's to me a genius and a great human being. So if a Vince calls me and he wants me to do a I don't know, play a tree in the background, I'll do it. But like what kind of tree, Vince? But I don't know about that character playing it again. If Vince wants to, I'll do it. But I'm developing a gangster script right now that is not inspired by that character. But there's like a couple of there's a couple of storylines that I feel the character could have gone in different ways. So I'm not exploring that character, but I'm exploring that color palette. It's called promises. It's a gangster film, so I do want to explore that gangster genre a little bit, but have it told from the protagonist this point of view, and so that's the genre. I love genres, you know, like sci fi, horror, westerns. I love like immersive experiences.
Speaker 1: You know, I can't wait for that, man, luck on that. That sounds like it's gonna be awesome. That's really really cool, you know. Sitting across from you, I can't help but keep thinking how accomplished you are, especially for starting quote unquote later in this business and how much you've done. Are you someone who has faced a lot of rejection in your career, because looking at you, it seems like you haven't. And for people watching this and listening who are sitting at home thinking, oh man, I keep getting those or I can't make it, or have you had a lot of rejection in your career?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? You know. You know what's funny about life? People don't see like It's like I remember a friend of mine set He's like, I'm like a duck. I'm moving, man, I'm moving, I'm moving. I'm moving. But all you see is just the thing in the fever. So look, here's what I can say about that. I don't want to speak for everybody, nobody, nobody that I've ever met, and I can speak for myself more than anyone else, which is actually probably the right angle to take this. I mean it is the right angle to take this. Man, I felt so shitty in my life so many times. The fact that you think that is a beautiful compliment, and I accept it. But I can promise you, man, there's no human emotion that you felt that I haven't felt. There's no sense of rejection that anyone's I've ever met felt that I haven't felt. I felt small, I felt unwanted, I felt untalented. I felt hopeless, and that's just part of the human experience. And I was homeless when I started my acting career. I used to shower at the YMCA. I used to take a bus from Montreal to Toronto overnight, shower at the YMCA, go do an audition, and then take the bus back. I used to live in this I used to hop from like one apartment's friends to another. And I remember in the winter, I got kicked out of my friend's apartment because I overslept and I burnt his sheets by accident on the heater and he's like, man, you gotta go. We can't both sleep on a small mattress, you know. And then I rented this place in this kind of rough part of Toronto, and it was so small the drawer wouldn't open because it would hit the single bed. But I was happy because I was doing what I loved. So yes to everyone out there. If you've been broke, if you've been homeless, if you thought that there was no way out, of course I felt it. And I can promise you almost every single great person, actor, anyone you've ever met, has felt it. So don't It's not just you. Everybody feels it, and find a way to. Like we said, go back to center, be grateful and know that it's, you know, all part of life. You know what I mean. I try not to reject it anymore. When I feel that, I accept it. All right, this is what I'm feeling. Here's what I'm gonna do about it, Here's what I know to be true, Here's why I know not to be true. And you move on, you.
Speaker 1: Know, man, Hearing that from you, I think is gonna help a lot of people because we don't always get to hear that side of your truth and your story. And think about it. When you're doing red carpets or junk kets, you don't have time to go there and talk about these things that are meaningful and important. Right, it's all sound bite. That's why I started the show Man because I like real connection. I cover red carpets, I cover all that, and I'm like, I want to sit down with people who I admire and who I know a lot of people admire, and hear more about your truth.
Speaker 2: Dude, listen to it. You know, since we're speaking about that, since we're taking the point of view of like someone out there who's struggling, I can promise you where's my camera? Is that my camera? With this?
Speaker 1: That's your camera.
Speaker 2: I can promise you. I felt as low as you've ever felt. I can promise you that. And there's no shame in that, you know what I mean. There's this idea sometimes that like, you know, fake it till you make it. Yeah, you don't go out there and spill your beans to every single person, but know that you're not alone. We all feel that way, dude. Life is complex. Man, it's weird. We live in this society with these rules and taxes and money and status and this and that. You know, any any normal decent person would be like take a pause and be like, this is kind of weird. Is my value really based on how much money I make? Is my value really based on how many followers I have? Is my you know what? Where? So? And we're told all these different things by businesses trying to sell us different things, and it's hard not to believe it, especially when we see it sort of manifests itself around us. But I think ground yourself with value. Ask yourself what do I value? You know? And if you can value things that money can't buy or that other people can't give you, like your integrity or whatever it is, then then I think that's a good grounding place.
Speaker 1: Man. I feel like I close every interview with a question based off the title of my show. Yeah, And I feel like we kind of had that conversation unless something else comes to mind. But thank you for sharing all of that and for being the reminder many of us need at all different phases of our lives, no matter how successful you might be or may not be. It's it's something.
Speaker 2: I had a horrible, little little incident two hours ago where I just was like, oh man, this is this thing I was doing. I was like, this is not working. Isn't working?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then you kind of snap out of it. And it's it's life man, that you don't have to you know what I mean? As long as you learn to approach it with kindness, you're fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I have no doubt you do. You seem to be I try, dude.
Speaker 2: I hope I'm not giving the idea. I hope I'm not giving the impression of being like a No, you're not like like this for me.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, we're works. We're all works in progress, exactly right. We all try our best, but it's clear you do try and you put your best try, which I think is really cool. Man. To wrap up this portion of the interview, the name of the shows. I've never said this before. Yeah, as I was saying earlier, it was born from this idea of walking away from these red carpets that I will cover. And if I met you on a carpet, it'd be for two minutes, and it's like, what do we really get to talk about? Yeah? You said little something about your character and why you're happy to be here, and what do we really get to talk about? So this show is born to bring artists on and dive into conversation that says something. So every every interview, I ask what is one thing you've never said before, which basically just means, what's something that means something to you that you want to leave us with today.
Speaker 2: You know, I did think of that before coming here, and I have my answer, but I'm trying to think of something that we've discussed spark something new. So the question is a negative, right, So I have to say something the negative of what I want basically, right, because you say something you've never said before, so my mind goes to something I want to say, and then I make it into a negative. So so I would say, you will not be okay, tell me more, meaning you will be okay. I will never say to you you will not.
Speaker 1: Be okay because you believe.
Speaker 2: Because I believe you'll be okay.
Speaker 1: Everyone will be okay.
Speaker 2: I think you'll be okay. Yeah, I think it'll be okay. At the end of the day. Take a deep breath, and just you know, my father passed away in my arms, and even in that moment, I realized it's gonna be okay right then and there, Yeah, it's gonna it's okay. It's it's you know what I mean. We're part of something much bigger. That's the answer I had initially was I don't believe we're part of something much bigger. That's something I would never say, right, You see what I mean, because I believe we're part of something bigger. But I think because of the conversation is you won't be okay, because I would never say that. If you hear me say that to somebody, it's not me, right, because I think you'll be okay, you know, just take a deep breath and you're there. You're where you need to be.
Speaker 1: Man. I kind of love this conversation more. Thank you, Thank you for thank you for you know, showing us a different side to you. And the world's gonna know you very very soon as Scorpion, this badass villain, and everyone's anticipating this role, and you've had such an impressive body of work of course prior to that in seventy two hours is out now. But I think it's cool that we can hear who you are beyond all of that, and we got to see that today, which is really awesome.
Speaker 2: So I think I feel like we put Stephanie to sleep.
Speaker 1: Stephanie loves if we have seventy wasn't happy we know you are?
Speaker 2: You looking at like TikTok videos or are you looking at our monitors shot?
Speaker 1: Looks good. That's right, Michael, Thank you for having me. I've Never Said This Before is hosted by Me Tommy Diderio. This podcast is executive produced by Andrew Puglisi at iHeartRadio and by Me Tommy, with editing by Joshua Colaudney. I've Never Said This Before is part of the Elvis Duran podcast Network on iHeart Podcasts. For more rate review and someubscribe to our show and if you liked this episode, tell your friends. Until next time, I'm Tommy Didario