Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spofford, joined as always by my partner at Crime Weston Hodkowitz. We're coming to you here from our studios at lambeau Field reviewing week three of OTA's West. We got another chance to see a practice earlier this week Mini Campus next week that will be the final week of the off season program. But I'm just gonna throw this at you based on what we saw on Tuesday, this kicking competition is getting a little wild. That was not something that I think I've seen as far as the volume of opportunities and three guys going at it and just the craziness at the end of practice with this kicking competition on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Well, Matt Lafleur said, this is the second time they've done this in terms of the three guys all getting opportunities in the same practice that in my time, I think maybe they did it once after they signed Zach Ramirez to come in with Giorgio Taveki at the end of the thirteen camp. I think they might have with Mason Crosby. I think they might have all done that one day but then they cut Georgio the next day or something like that. I've never witnessed anything like this. First off, kudos goes to Rich Bisaccia and Byron Storer in the special. They made it work like. It was a pretty seamless transition in terms of all the guys that got ops.
Speaker 1: And it was clearly competitive, too, very competitive. Could you could sense it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah. And at the end of the practice, then what happened is they did the two minute drill and if and actually I think even if they the offense didn't get down the field, they still set it up for the field goals. They end with I want to say it was fifty seven yarders.
Speaker 1: Yeah they were. They were kicking. They were kicking long ones. They were definitely fifty five plus.
Speaker 2: And they all made it. So what they do, They come and they rev it up a little bit more. And as Greg Joseph said, he hasn't seen anything like this since days back in college, where they had the entire football team lined up around the offensive line, the snapper, and obviously the kicker, and each guy had a shot at from fifty one yards. Jack pez Lusni missed the opportunity. Joseph also missed it. Final opportunity was Anders Carlson. He puts it right through the uprights and was completely mobbed by the entire football team. It was for as offseason practices go. That was as much of a training camp type feel as I think I've experienced.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the guys were having Maybe maybe it wasn't so fun for the kickers.
Speaker 2: No, for sure.
Speaker 1: The rest of the guys, we're having a lot of fun with it, because when they were creating this big distracting thing, you know, getting up right up close to the to the holder and the kicker and the snapper, and you know they're they're kind of scorting their water. They were squirting water bottles, but not just on the kicker, but on Daniel Wheel and the holder and on you know whoever.
Speaker 2: The Daniel he's just learned his.
Speaker 1: Job, Yeah, exactly, well, and on the snappers as well. They were trying to distract those guys too. Obviously not a not a realistic situation, but something where you're just you're trying to create, You're trying to create a circumstance where concentration is at a premium, right, That's that's what they're after there, And and It wasn't just that, but it was as you said, it was a fifty plus yard field goal, so it wasn't just some kind of a chip shot. It was fun to watch. I'm curious to see, you know, how this kicking competition plays out through the summer and through the preseason games, training camp and everything. This has all the makings of something that goes right down to as I sort of joked, right down to checking in for the Brazil flight. That might be right up until that point that the Packers make their decision on who their kicker is going to be for twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Well, I do you know, we'll see yeah, loong they keep the triad going there. But I do think there's a benefit to having kickers in there the entire camp. You know, I think back to some of these other years in which they they kind of created competition, but in some ways they didn't because you'd get to the end of the off season program and then you know, they cut a Ryan Winslow. You get a week in the camp and they'd already figure out who their punter was. Let's be honest about one thing, Mike, Not to say that you can't have somebody come in on August eighth and make a roster spot.
Speaker 1: We've seen it happen before.
Speaker 2: But generally speaking, your team is mostly set. I don't know what kind of benefit there is to to shuffling out a specialist to bring it in somebody else at that juncture, assuming there's not an issue, a persistent issue in practice with the guys that you have. So I feel like, you know, pressure makes diamonds. And the one thing I hope people can take a step back on in relation to Charlson, just specifically, please understand that, yes, there were too many missed extra points last year. Last year the postseason, we saw what happened. It is not easy to be a rookie kicker in the National Football League. And the one difficult thing with drafting a kicker is you are immediately put into the predicament of having to decide how much latitude you give that individual, because, as I've said umpteen times already, you don't want to find yourself in a situation like the Vikings did where they give up too early on Daniel Carlson. The guy goes on to become an All Pro, it looks like he's probably just gonna end up being the Raiders kicker for the next ten years. When you have a guy that you felt strongly about developmentally, you want to give him the opportunity to compete for that job and give him an honest, honest opportunity at that. They brought in Greg Joseph. That's legitimate competition for him. Two guys that both kicked in the NFC North last year. Made the best man win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think I totally agree with what you said about Carlson. And obviously there's the lesson the vikings learned with regard to his older brother and all that. The interesting spot that the Packers are in here is because of the run they made at the end of the season. You were playing as well as anybody. You're you know, an eyelash away from making it to the NFC Championship Game, and a missed field goal late in the fourth quarter was a big part of that. The Packers are going to have an interesting decision to make because I think they want to develop Anders Carlson and they want to see him be the kicker here for the next ten or twelve years and be the next Mason Crosby for this organization. I think that's the that's the goal, and that's the desire. But you can only have so much patience when you're a contender, and when you're playing, you believe you're a contender for a super Bowl and you're playing for it. That's why Greg Joseph was brought in. This is a guy he doesn't have a huge pedigree in the NFL, but he's kicked in a conference championship game with the Tennessee Titans earlier in his career. He's been the guy for the Minnesota Vikings for the last three years. Some interesting statistical quirks when you look when you look at his career, I was putting together a story that's actually going to appear on our website on Friday. In Greg Joseph's career, he's only missed one field goal inside of forty yards in his career, but he's missed like sixteen extra points, which of course there are thirty three yards. Now, maybe a couple of those might have been after penalties and might have I didn't do all the research, but it's just kind of strange, you know, because he's been he's been really really solid on anything inside forty yards, and he's been pretty darn good from forty plus as well. But then you look at the number of extra points he's missed and you kind of scratch your head a little bit. So I agree with you. It's absolutely you know, may the best man win. From what we have seen, and again it's only been one day a week in Ota, is from what we have seen. I haven't seen anything from Anders Carlson that tells me the Packers are just ready to move on, you know. I haven't seen anything that tells tells me that. But we have an entire training camp, multiple preseason games and everything to go through to to sort this thing out. And nobody's making any decisions right now because nobody has to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is when you want to make those decisions, honestly, Like you know, I know there was some talk at the end of last season like, Okay, well you're going into the playoffs. If you're looking for a kicker in December, you're in a bad spot because it's going to be very rare. You're going to find somebody that's out on the market, especially in the day and age where there's practice squads available, where you're just going to be able to put that guy in and count.
Speaker 1: On Brian gudokunsett After the season, they they were looking. I mean, you know, with with the struggles that Carlson was having, the Packers were making this run at a playoff spot. They were looking and they felt personnel wise, there wasn't a better option out there, or they would have brought somebody else in. He said that after the season. I have to take him at his word.
Speaker 2: And I think the Packers did the best possible thing in that. You know, it's gonna be very difficult to go out and sign a guy like Matthew Gay a year earlier. Where it's gonna be this is the top of the line. You're gonna have to pay him free agent while also still having honors there to compete for that job. Yeah, Greg Joseph was a good middle ground because he was allowed to walk as an unrestricted free agent from Minnesota. But he's been around for a long time. As he told you in the locker room on Tuesday. You know, he's competed four jobs before. He learned a lot from that experience. That's what kind of forged his mentality.
Speaker 1: When he's won jobs and he's lost jobs, you know, this is a guy who's been through this kicking competition thing before.
Speaker 2: When you talked about the weird quirk with his the field goals the other thing. I remember doing the five things on him. I was actually in Florida at the time when they signed him, and he's had a really interesting career because he talked about the challenges of kicking in Cleveland and obviously being there one year. He had a very unique thing where he went to Tennessee at the end of I believe was the nineteen season.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was towards It was the tail end of the twenty nineteen season because Ryan suck Up hurt. Suck Up got hurt for the Titans, and they they needed a kicker and they brought him in and he ended up being the guy that that carried them through that held the position through the AFC Championship game.
Speaker 2: And he only kicked extra points.
Speaker 1: It was just until the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Until the playoffs point, but he was I think he had fifteen extra points or something like that.
Speaker 1: He didn't yeah, for all the games toward the end of the season. He didn't actually get a field goal attempt until the postseason because all of his regular season stats were just pat.
Speaker 2: Find me, a guy that just hasn't even attempted one in five crazy let alone make them. But I feel like this is the great a great setup for them. Pod Lesnie, I'm very interested to see what the approaches with Green Bay takes with him. He was a guy they signed back in January. That was the first sign of a competition there. They decided to keep him around even after signing Joseph. So it's gonna be very interesting how it works out. But I feel like to get back to my core argument here. You know, however many it is the multiples, the plural keeping those guys around, having a competition two or three getting into training camp, I think is gonna beneficial for both Carlson and the other kickers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll just have to see how it plays out. I don't want to forget about the sponsor business today, Wes, So I'm gonna do it right now. NFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need twenty four to seven, three sixty five and that cousin subs we have something for everyone, like our Wisconsin cheese curds, mac and Cheese, golden fries and creamy shakes, all paired with your favorite sub or sub in a bowl. Cousin subs fifty plus years of better. All right, Well, we know when we're standing there watching practice, we get, we anticipate, we're waiting for the eleven on eleven to start. Those are the plays we like to watch. When they're going full.
Speaker 2: Speed, when they're going full speed.
Speaker 1: When they're going full speed. Yes, we've seen in we've seen a lot of eleven on eleven at half speed, which is which is not something from a reporter standpoint that does a whole lot for us visually. But you never know what you're gonna You never know what you're gonna see with this Packers offense, as we've talked about, with all these different receivers that are available, and where the ball is going to go and lo and behold. Right at the beginning of eleven on eleven on Tuesday, Jordan Love lets one rip deep and who's the guy running underneath it? Not Jayden Reed, not Christian Watson, not Romeo Dobbs, not Don Davian Wicks, but Bo Melton seventy five yard touchdown to kick off the eleven on eleven and quite Frankly, I think it caught the defense's attention because we saw the defense, you know, ratchet up their play the rest of the eleven on eleven of practice after that. But but man, I tell you, Bo Melton, he's he's uh, he's still going to be in a fight for a roster spot once again. But man, having a guy like that on the depth chart where he is for the Green Bay Packers says something about what the Packers have at that position.
Speaker 2: This the Melton family is one that fascinates me. And I think, you know, assuming everything works out, Bo's on the roster again this year, I think it'll be a really interesting story to do going into his game against Max, his younger brother, who was the second round pick of Arizona when those two teams play in Week six. But the high character of that group, both Max and Bow they had other offers. They both decided to go to Rutgers. Now, in Bo's case, that was definitely a big decision because Rutgers has kind of turned a corner now that Schiano's coming back there. They're a little bit more competitive they were when Chris ash was there, and there were some lean years where Bo was the guy and there wasn't a whole lot of winning always happening. Now. I don't know how much that affected his draft stock or not, but he goes in the seventh round. John Schneider drafts him into Seattle. He doesn't make the He's there the entire season. The Green Bay Packers come calling at the end of really the end of Aaron Rodgers era at twenty two. Then the Packers, for the second straight year, draft three straight three receivers in the draft. Yeah, competition of plenty bodies, of plenty investments a plenty for the Packers. Bo doesn't make the roster. I went back and looked Mike preseason last year, Bo had one catch for three yards. It's gonna be hard to make the roster with that type of production in the preseason, yep. But what happens. He sticks it out, He stays in Green Bay, and he was an absolute electric piece for this defense or for this offense in that final stretch of the season. As Matt Leffuor said, the first receiver to have a hundred yard game for the Packers, and after that, Dantavian Wicks I think came right after it. I think maybe Romeo Dobbs.
Speaker 1: Dobbs had the one in the playoffs in Dallas.
Speaker 2: The domino effects started. Yeah, So bringing this all back to practice on Tuesday, in so many cases, it would have been almost a surprise to see someone like Melton who is running with the ones. This is Jordan Love throwing the ball right, But as he was taught talking about afterwards, that's a play they've been trying to hit for a couple of these practices now. They wanted to get a big moment there, and as it just turns out, Xavier McKinney subbed out right before that. So the Packers have the young secondary, they have the two young safeties back there, and he runs a post route and nobody covers him. Yeah, And it was funny listening to him describe it because he's like, you know, I look back and the ball isn't in the area yet, and at that moment he knows exactly what's happening because he's one run in the deep route. Jordan Love probably threw his best pass of the day. He puts it right on his receiver. Would have been a seventy five yard touchdown. Mike, this is a guy. Last year twenty plus receptions. I think he was right up there with some of the best receivers in the league during the final month of the season in terms of the explosive plays. And it's moments like that that show you both the character of the individual, the athleticism of the individual, and just his ability to execute. Bo Melton is not going away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he's not. He's going to be. He's going to be in this fight for a roster spot, for playing time, for opportunities, just as he was last year. It's really interesting the the dynamic that the Packers have at wide receiver. I wrote us, you wrote a story on bow Melton that is on our website. The night before that story went up, I wrote about the whole question that's that's been discussed a lot. We've discussed it on this show, you know about do the Packers have a number a true number one wide receiver? Do they need to have somebody emerge as a true number one wide receiver? And when you look at what Green Bay has going on right now, while with an entire receiving corps that is that is six seven, eight deep, quite frankly, there are gonna be guys that maybe they get a look from somebody on the waiver wire, or they're going to come back on the practice squad and maybe be the next Bow Melton, who you know, hangs around on the practice squad and then gets a chance later on. All of that will see how it plays out. The Packers have a whole bunch of these guys on their rookie contracts, while justin Jefferson's you know, getting a new deal for thirty five million a year, and Jaden Watta from Miami's getting a new deal, and guys like Brandon Aiyuk and others Ceedee Lamb are apparently holding out of mandatory mini camp in with their clubs because they're looking for new contracts and new extensions and get and getting the big money wallets out there for the wide receivers. Packers are gonna have plenty of decisions to make over the next couple of years in terms of those second contracts and where to invest the money. But man, is it a nice spot to be in right now, isn't it? With with with where the Packers are a wide receiver.
Speaker 2: For two more years? I mean now you can do some extensions next year if you want it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next next year, Romeo Dobs and Christian Watson become eligible for extensions because you when on your rookie contract, you have to play three years before you can even look at that contract and do anything to change it. So those guys will get their third years in after this season, and then for those draft picks from twenty twenty three, it'll be another year after that.
Speaker 2: When you are having a nice night out at the Spafford residence, you want to take out missus Spofford for a dinner, like, like, what are you looking for? Like what type of food are you looking for?
Speaker 1: I'm a fish guy.
Speaker 2: You're a fish guy. Telapia?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, A fancy preparation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fancy preparation. Well, here's what I love about the way, because people I keep asking this question left and right, and Rob Damofski wrote a really nice piece on Jiden Reid, and there's reasons to look at all these guys and say that could be a number one receiver. But this is the way I look at it. I was thinking about this a couple of nights ago. Yours is fish. Mine's probably a nice filet. You go and if you go to a restaurant and all they have, is that really nice? Fish or in my case, a file at and around it they have chicken nuggets and you have fish sticks and you know, maybe some some reeses or ritz crackers with some you know sau what are you eating out of that? You're gonna go get your fish. I'm gonna go get my file at the beautiful. Then it's very easy to determine who the guy is, what the main course is. Well, in the packers case, I mean you got file a, you got you know, free range chicken, you got you know, chile and sea bass, you got lobster, you got all these different options that when you have that, it opens up so many different avenues for Jordan Love, it opens up so many avenues for Matt Lafleur, And I think that's the beauty of it. Now. As some people have been asking in the locker room, ego's a big thing in this league. People receivers especially, they want their touches, they want their ops. As Jason Vrabel likes to talk about, it's difficult to juggle all of that. But what's cool about this group is looking at Jaden Reid quickly looking at Dontavian Wicks, two rookies that in some ways we're kind of competing for snaps last year. They get done with last season and both of them say, you know what, we want to keep this thing going. We want to keep the train on the tracks. Weeks after the twenty twenty three season ends, they're down in Florida together training for the upcoming season. No quarterback. They're just running routes with each other. They're looking out with each other, eating you know, grubhub with each other because they felt like they have a common nut bond there. They have a history, they have a past. You look at bow Melton, you look at Christian Watson going down to Madison to try to get some answers. Romeo Dobbs the most consistent guy I think I've seen as a young player in Green Bay at that position. I wrote about it an inbox earlier this week. But the culture of that room is what has allowed all these guys to become playmakers. And Mike, if there's one thing we've learned, you can look at, you know, Christian Kirk, you can look at a lot of these guys. You don't need to have one thousand yard season after one thousand yard season to go get a big contract and free agency if teams look at what you do with your opportunities and they realize the type of difference maker you are, you're going to get paid. In my credit, my hack goes off to all those guys. Because Romeo Dobbs last year, when Christian Watson was out and would have been perceived to have been the number one receiver in so many ways, he was still rooting for bou Melton. He was still rooting for Dontavian Wicks. The culture of that room has allowed this thing to stick together. And when you have so many weapons and so many talented guys, that's that's not always an easy thing to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this whole question of number one wide receiver, yes or no, who's it going to be? Who does it need to be? As you said with regard to the culture of the room, those guys don't care. That's not what they're thinking about. And that's to their credit because of what that means for the team. What I will say right now is that is that I think schematically, And when I say schematically, I mean how defenses game plan against you and and scheme to try to stop you. Schematically, the Packers number one wide receiver is Christian Watson. He's the one who impacts what the defense does the most. But production wise, whether the Packers end up with the number one receiver is still kind of the open question. I think it could end up being Jaden Reid this year. That wouldn't surprise me at all. It also wouldn't surprise me if the Packers have a different player lead them in receptions one hundred yards and a different guy in touchdowns, because we've even seen not that long ago that a tight end in Matt Lafleur's offense had double digit touchdowns talking about Bobby Tunyan, of course, so who knows what that means for Luke Musgrave say, if he can stay healthy for an entire season. So the various statistical categories, the whole number one idea could end up being spread all across the board, right, And that's what's going to be really fun about this offense. And as Jordan Love said, moving forward, now you know they're out there in OTAs where he's making checks and adjustments at the line of scrimmage and they're running some different stuff, which twelve months ago OTA's last year, that kind of stuff wasn't happening because it was just about with Love as QB one for the first time, with Dobbs and Watson just in their second season, and then the rookies that came in through the draft. It was all about just just get the basics of the offense down. Let's get this figured out. And we saw the progression obviously where the offense was, especially the passing offense was early in the season versus later in the season. One. Now they're just everybody individually, whether it's Bo Melton and his strong finish or collectively as a group, they're just trying to pick up where they left off. And I think that's what makes that's what makes this season so exciting offensively. With then the added twist of a change at the number one running backs with Josh Jacobs coming in for Aaron Jones and what that's going to mean moving forward.
Speaker 2: The thing we also need to acknowledge here, You hope the Packers can stay healthy at those skill positions, hopefully fingers crossed from a personal perspective, hopefully Christian Watson, everything he did this offseason, the answers he got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the interesting thing is part of the reason we know so much about these guys and there is so much confidence in these guys to make plays. Is because of the injuries that happened last year and the way the opportunit unities got spread around, the way bow Melton was called upon, the way Malik Heath at times last season was called upon to step up and make some plays because of guys who were out. So, yes, you hope for health, but the lack of health so to speak, last season is partly why the Packers are in the position they're in right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then that that was kind of the point I was gonna make the stocked into them alone here that I was gonna make.
Speaker 1: Sorry, no I stole, I stole the I stole the pass for the slab dog, but we scored if we did. No.
Speaker 2: But that's the point I'm trying to make though. Unfortunately, injuries in twenty twenty three are and this goes a tight end too. By the way, injuries in twenty twenty three year is why we learned so much about these guys, why we saw how many people stood out. Absolutely, and it's not just Tuckercraft either. The way Ben Simms played last year as an undrafted free agent, a guy that by the way, he's huge. He's a big dude. He wasn't just seen as like the Mercedes Lewis type. Okay, this is gonna be a great blocking ten, and he had to learn a lot in his role. Bow Melton doesn't get the opportunities he gets last season if it wasn't for unfortunately, the injury to Toure. You look at Dantavian Wicks, he doesn't get that opportunity if if Christian Watson isn't dealing with the hamstring. That was a question I even asked Dantavian during our availability with him two weeks ago, I mean, did you expect how much of this? Did you surprise you to be able to come out of the gates, right out of the way and produce the way he did? He said, the only thing that surprised me is how soon the opportunities came. He thought he was gonna have to wait for him more so, the best scenario in all this is Matt Lafleur, Jason Vrabel, Ryan Mahaffey, all these guys, Adam Stenovich. The best scenario is that they have difficult decisions to make with how they want to build their game plans. You don't want injuries to happen, but the fortification of this offense has been built because of that, and I think that's what makes this twenty twenty four Packers offense extremely exciting. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, One other thing I want to touch on before we go, and I'm kind of working on this a little bit with regard to the inside or inbox column for tomorrow morning. But I mentioned kind of where things are going with the white receiver market and the money that is getting thrown around. Right the top cornerbacks in the NFL right now, jyr Alexander being one of them. You know, the top guy is you know, twenty million, twenty one to twenty two million dollars a year, while these receivers are now pushing the upper twenties and now justin Jefferson's up to thirty five million a year. There's got to be a cycle coming where the cornerbacks are going to get their money, right, Yeah, if you're gonna pay, if you're going to be paying these receivers all this money, the guys that you're asking that have proven that they can limit these guys and in some cases stop these guys, those guys are going to get their money too, there's just a contract cycle that has to happen at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's called it's over in East Rutherford, New Jerseys, where it is with Sauce Gardner. That's that's when this whole is going to change. But it was interesting look at Antoine Winfield Junior right the contract that he got, because now we're not even just talking about perimeter shutdown cornerbacks on the side, We're talking about nickel guys. We're talking about guys that are more in the versatile mode. Yeah, they're getting paid now, and I think that's the way the NFL is going to look at it more. It's where these guys are making their impact and how that affects the overall construct of the defense. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers need win Field in order to be the defense that they want to be there, and same thing is going to go for Sauce Gardner whenever his time finally comes. But I think the one area that's going to be very interesting to track now is because the question was brought up in my inbox and maybe that's why it's coming up in yours now. A little bit is like where do you go light? Where do you not spend a bunch of money. Yeah, And honestly, it's getting more and more difficult to put tabs on that because somebody had asked me the question about well, inside linebacker, that could conceivably be a spot where you go light on. Well, dude, you and I we covered the Packers for ten years. How many times do we hear about, Okay, well, they just don't have enough inside linebackers. Where's the athleticism, where's the speed the sideline of sideline? Why don't we have a levante David? You know?
Speaker 1: And in this day and age, there are because of so much nickel, there are fewer off the ball linebackers on the field, but those off the ball linebackers are required to do a lot more things. You've got to be able to have not only the sideline to sideline, but the pass coverage and the blitzing ability and all of this kind of stuff needs to be needs to be in that one package. And when you talk about where do you allocate your cap resources, just when you think, just when you think you know, things are cranking back and there's all the stories about what's going on at the running back position. The San Francisco forty nine ers give Christian McCaffrey an extension at nineteen million dollars a year for two more years. Now, that nineteen million looks paltry compared to the thirty five million that Justin Jefferson is getting. But again, you know, every team that's where to me, when I look at the salary cap and the allocation and stuff like that, there isn't one. There isn't a tried and true formula or everybody would follow. It's it's making the decisions based on the personnel that you have. And yes, I mean, I think thirty five million dollars a year for a wide receiver just sound kind of crazy. But as you know, and I follow Kevin Seaffert, who we've known for a lot of years at ESPN, and he and he's he covered the Vikings before that in the Minneapolis market. Now he's he's been covering the Vikings for a long time for ESPN. The Vikings didn't just sign Justin Jefferson to that kind of money because he's the best receiver in the game right now. They signed him to that kind of money because he has a chance to maybe be the best receiver who's ever played. Yeah, that's why they made that investment. This is a guy that is being viewed as somebody who might be able to challenge the numbers that Jerry Rice put up back in his day. That's that's you know, they're they're they're betting on it. Obviously, there's no guarantee. You don't know what's going to happen, but that's the trajectory he's on. So they're not going to let that type of Hall of Fame talent walk out the door. So they've made that decision. But it doesn't mean that everybody out there needs to pay their number one wide receiver thirty million dollars a year. Every team is going to make their decisions and allocate their money based on the personnel they have and the personnel they feel they can find, whether it be in free agency or the draft.
Speaker 2: And also, the dirty little secret is with the Vikings is they have major questions at quarterback. And one if jj McCarthy ends up being the truth, or even if Sam Darnold ends up playing pretty well justin Jefferson's gonna look pretty good. Yeah, you also don't want to put Jefferson in the position of having to break in some new quarterbacks after having so much success with Kirk Cousins and then creating that potential problem if the numbers aren't where they want to be and he's you know, you look at the quarterback more than the player. Be that as it may. The point I want to bring this back to because people ask about this all the time, and I raise this point in inbox as well. The reason the Packers were able to go so light at receiver these past few years as as far as money goes, is because they got really young suddenly after DeVante left. If Davante's still there, that has a trickle down effect on the rest of the roster. You don't know if you have Aaron Jones, if DeVante Adams is getting twenty five whatever it ended up being, you don't know how all that's going to shuffle out. Same thing for San Francisco. They have a little bit more breathing room here before they got to make a decision on brock Purty to take care of him.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: You go and again back to what you were saying earlier about their receivers. Brock Purty can't even do a contract until after year three, So you use the cap space that you have available to try to make this run. Now, it's the challenge that every team is bouncing. But Mike, it goes back to my biggest principle of all and that is if you draft well and you take players right. There's a reason why Brian Goodikuntz was talking about rookie contracts because that's the one absolute nothing you can do about it. This is what you play for for the at least these three years, if not the four. If you don't get those picks right, you got to go shopping. If you don't cook well at home, you got to go to KFC, you got to go over to a different a Burger King. No disrespect Burger King, but I mean like you have to go out and get you know, the to go orders. The packers have built something special in this kitchen so far, and I'm excited to see where it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And as we talk about contracts, at some point here we're gonna be talking about a new contract for Jordan Love. I believe it may not happen tomorrow, it may not happen next week, but it's gonna happen. I think we know that. And sometime this summer on a later show, I think We're gonna get to that topic, but for now we'll call it a rap. On this edition of Packers Unscripted. Be sure to follow all of our coverage of the team. We will have coverage of Mini camp and a couple more episodes of Unscripted next week as the Packers wrap up their off season program for WES. I am Mike. Thank you for tuning in everybody, and we will see you next time.