Speaker 1: The following podcast is a Dear Media production.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, I'm Whitney Port and this is with Wit. A lot of you may know me from reality TV and the reality is a lot's happened since the Hills. With Wit is dedicated to having real, raw, and occasionally ridiculous conversations with the people who have had a profound impact on me. Because on with Wit, very little is off limits, subscribe so you don't miss any of the amazing conversations to come.
Speaker 1: New episodes of.
Speaker 2: With Wit are available every Tuesday on all platforms. Big Things happen when you're pretty, pretty bold, pretty clever, pretty strong. I'm Danielle Robe and each week my guests and I have conversations that put a new spin on pretty.
Speaker 1: This is pretty smart.
Speaker 3: If you don't know what to do, just ask Shaney Alexander known as a social entrepreneur and for her podcast present Each week, Shane dishes out advice on the difficulties of being human. So I flipped the script on her and brought her onto Pretty Smart to answer your relationship, friendship, and career questions. She's not your therapist, She's your smart, hilarious and dynamic friend. So you know what I didn't ask you when I was on your podcast? How did you start pressent?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I'm wow. Like, okay, So I get a lot of dms every day. I probably get like between two and three hundred dms a day, which is very overwhelming because I feel the pressure to respond to all of them. And so I was getting all these advice questions in my DMS of like people going through breakups or they needed relationship advice.
Speaker 1: Or they needed work advice.
Speaker 4: And all of these different kind of categories, and I was like, I'm doing this already, So why am I not doing this so other people can listen in on the dms? Yeah, And what I've realized through doing the podcast is even if people are listening in that week, it's not a question that necessarily is their question. So much of the stuff is connected and obviously talking about like mental health and body image and relationships and all these things. These are universal things. And if you don't need it now, put it in your back pocket. You might need it in a year. You know, does it scare to you to give people advice? Because it's like, what if I'm wrong? Oh, I'm terrified every day and you're.
Speaker 1: Really good at it.
Speaker 3: You're very like Remember when I came on your podcast and you were like, did you think I was going to be like a dumb influencer, And I was like, no, because I listened to your podcast and it's like listening to a therapist.
Speaker 1: You're so thoughtful.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing I made sure at the be any of the podcast to always say, I'm not a therapist. I'm a friend. And it's it's like the friend. It's I want to be the friend that you go to for advice and that you know gives you decently sound advice.
Speaker 1: She definitely didn't go to school for it, though.
Speaker 4: You know, like she didn't go to school for I think one of the one of the most impactful stories I ever heard. And this was actually before my podcast, so this was just when I was giving advice in the DMS. This girl came to me and she said, in the DMS, she said, my husband cheated on me, and I don't know what to do. I don't know if I should stay or if I should leave. And that's a heavy question for like someone you don't know. And so the kind of rule I always have lived by with my own relationships is if you can forgive it and truly move on and like move on with no issue, no going crazy, then do it. But if you know that you can't move on and you can't fully forgive them, and you can't fully let it go, let them go and like let yourself go. And that advice is kind of polarizing for some people because it's there's so much around, especially like forgiveness and relationships, because some people are in the camp of like, if someone cheats, get out, don't ever trust them again. And then some people are in the camp of like staying is the stronger thing. And for me, there was no right answer, And that's what I told her. I said, either one is going to be hard, so pick which kind of hard you can actually stick with. And I said, for me, personally, I don't think I would be able to trust that person and it would be really hard for me to Every time their phone would go off, would I have like this anxiety surrounding like is that someone texting them that shouldn't be or what are they doing out late with their friends? So I know, personally I don't think I could get past that. So me in that situation, I would be like see you later, but she made the decision because she was like, I actually she wrote me back, She's like, I actually feel like I can forgive him and we can move past this. And so what was so miraculous is about probably a year and a half two years later, her husband wrote me an email and he said, my wife asked you for advice a few years ago, and I just wanted to tell you that we're doing really, really good.
Speaker 1: And we have a new baby on the way.
Speaker 4: And that kind of made me go. I mean, I had two emotions. One was shit, people listen to my advice got and then the other one was like, wow, small words of encouragement or support for people can really make a big difference. So's it's a complicated thing giving advice for your living, but it can really really help people fell us alone.
Speaker 1: And that's the whole.
Speaker 3: Point it really is. I was thinking about loneliness so much recently. I think it's something I felt in the pandemic, but something that I kind of always feel like, even if I'm around people, I could go to a party and like really feel alone.
Speaker 1: It's just something that.
Speaker 3: I hold and the only thing that helps our podcasts, in books and movies and TV because I feel like I can see myself in other people's stories, and so I think. I mean, after I did your podcast, I went back and listened to every single episode and it's really cool because there's a lot of advice and there's serious moments, but it's infused with a lot of laughter because that's who you are, and a lot of cursing, which I also.
Speaker 1: Like, which we did a bit of.
Speaker 3: Yeah in your bio you say a lot of fucking cursing, which I really like.
Speaker 1: So it's cool.
Speaker 3: I wanted to get what was important to people, so I put out on Instagram what they wanted to hear from you about, and they sent in a ton I whittled it down to a few questions, but I mean we can kind of just go through them and bounce off each other.
Speaker 4: Can I Can I ask you one question first on the loneliness bit, Yeah, what TV show or movie is like like sues that part for.
Speaker 1: You, because I bet there are people out there.
Speaker 4: That like want to watch something that makes them feel like really comforted, and they may not know where to go for that. Like, what is something that's like comforting, familiar or like kind of scratches that loneliness itch. I love that question so much. The Goop podcast does that for me.
Speaker 1: I really love those interviews.
Speaker 3: Sex and the City always yep, and it's like sort of embarrassing to admit, but that show always makes you. This one's even worse. First Wives Club my favorite movie of all time.
Speaker 4: There's want to be want to be them, I mean want to be them in certain ways, but like that's also like from our childhood, a classic, always on the USA.
Speaker 3: Network always, and you know, my mom was like, you can never tell someone on a date that that's your favorite movie, like it's all about being divorced and like like brutalizing your first sex.
Speaker 1: And I was like, but it is. It's my favorite movie. It's so good. It's so good. How about you? What does it for you?
Speaker 4: I can watch thirty Rock over and over and over, like one million times. We've been on a real survivor kick. I don't know if that scratches a loneliness itch or more like, you know, I could survive outside. I also feel like any like I'm a creature. When I feel like lonely or need comfort, I like watching things I've watched a million times. I think because I think for both of us. Probably it's the familiarity of the characters.
Speaker 1: Feel like friends.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and when you have your friends, you don't feel lonely and you kind of can expect something from them.
Speaker 1: You're like, I know what to expect from you. What a good point. We aren't lonely without our friends.
Speaker 4: And our friends just happened to be The First Wives Club and Tina Fey.
Speaker 1: But honestly, we picked really good friends. Oh my god, I mean the best, you know, like, if we were going to choose, we picked a good one. Oh yeah, that's actually a perfect It's not a good segue to your question. It's perfect because the first question.
Speaker 3: I loved that Morgan wrote in because I kind of felt this way in some aspects. So she said, I'm feeling frustrated with so many of my friends. I know everyone's going through their own stuff right now, especially with the pandemic, but everyone calls me and is so negative and I just don't have the space because I need positivity in my life.
Speaker 1: What should I do?
Speaker 4: Okay, I actually have the perfect answer to this, and I totally did not read these questions beforehand, but I actually have the solve.
Speaker 1: Please. This is why you're here, should.
Speaker 4: I well, I think this is only because I used to be the person that people would come to for advice to vent all of those things. And so the thing is is you you can't do anything in the moment. That's that's one hard thing is you can't do anything in the moment of saying like block out. I mean I guess you could. I mean you could be like just hang up on them. I mean, that's always an option, but not if it's your friend.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: No, And we want to like teach a longer lesson and model a longer lesson. And so what I find helpful in all relationships, whether they're romantic or friendships, is modeling good behavior and modeling the type of communication you want to have. So I would say they start to ask them this question, well two questions actually, and I actually wrote an Instagram post about this the other day. Number one, ask them before you vent or complain to them or unload on them. Practice asking hey, do you have space in your life and in your mental state right now for me to complain about this or talk about this with you?
Speaker 1: That's number one.
Speaker 4: And I think when you ask someone that the shift that goes on in someone's brain is immediately like, oh, actually, how many times would I like to have been asked? Do you have space for? This second question is do you want me to just listen? Or do you want me to give advice?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I like that?
Speaker 4: And I think the thing about that one is you can ask that one. Let's say, you know, someone's bringing you their shit about their boyfriend for the hundredth time or whatever. The way I was getting so exhausted was I was constantly feeling I needed to solve their problems, and that can be a really exhausting thing, especially when you're the person that all your friends go to. And so saying do you want advice or do you want me just to listen also creates another boundary for them of like.
Speaker 1: Oh, what do I want?
Speaker 4: And then also calls attention to the fact that they're continuously coming to you for this type of support. And so if every time that person comes to you for support, bitch and complaining whatever, if you ask that question, they're going to be more cognizant of actually how much they're coming to you with this sort of thing.
Speaker 1: But I think modeling the previous question.
Speaker 4: Of saying, you know, do you have the capacity for this right now shows that you respect their boundaries and that maybe when they come to you with their stuff, that they should respect yours. And you wouldn't believe how those two questions have transformed my relationship and have I've totally overhauled my romantic life and my friendships. Well, I like that you included romantic life.
Speaker 3: I would almost include parents in this too, absolutely because and I saw you write an Instagram post that was adjacent to this about like asking for exactly what you want, Like I am coming back from the airport, I'd really like you to be there when I get home, versus just like hoping that someone's back from the airport or back home when you're back from the airport, And both are kind of okay, but one.
Speaker 1: Is definitely more direct. This is the more direct version.
Speaker 3: The only pushback I feel like people will have.
Speaker 1: And maybe it's what.
Speaker 3: Came up for me, was like if you're my friend, like that's part of our friendship is like you get to lean on me, I get to lean on you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it is.
Speaker 4: But I do think and I talked about this in therapy before, because I think we when we're growing up, we think we kind of idealize relationship, whether it's friendships or you know, romantic relationships of any kind, and you think it's always going to be fifty to fifty And it's not that that person's not there for you. It's just that they might not be there for you eighty percent this time they might be their twenty percent for you. And I think it's also important if you're on the receiving end of Like let's say someone says I don't have actual like space for that. I think that's actually an opportunity to say, well, is there any way I can support you right now? Because it's a really nice way of I mean, I think we all go through this when we're in our own head about our own crap. The best thing to do a lot of times, in tandem with working through it, is also having perspective of what other people are going through, what other people think about, what other people are worried about. And it's not about mounting the negativity on yourself. It's about saying, oh, wait, maybe I'm not the only one here, you know, and we all have that friend who every time you talk to them, the world's crashing, right, We'll have that friend.
Speaker 1: Or who's perpetually.
Speaker 4: Fighting with their significant other or who always has drama with their parents. We know that person, and sometimes, I mean, complaining is part of my personality traits, So I have to like really ask that question for people.
Speaker 1: But I hear you.
Speaker 4: We should be able to depend on each other, but it might not always be to the level that it is when they're at their best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and timing is so important too. Oh my gosh, when I'm on my period, don't ask me anything. Also will recommend to people if you listen to Brende Brown's podcast. She talks about this In one of her earliest episodes on her podcast, she talks about in relationships kind of this proportion shift of like sometimes I'm eighty and sometimes you're twenty. Sometimes we're fifty to fifty, sometimes we're ninety ten, and that is just kind of like the ebb and flow of a long relationship. I love the framing of that. That's great because it's that way romantic relationships. Also, sometimes you have to give more, sometimes you have to take more. Yeah, Okay, the next one is interesting. My boyfriend gets so upset and angry that I have male friends. Our relationship is great and I love him, but he says that he doesn't believe in platonic relationships with the opposite sex.
Speaker 1: Someone always wants more. Am I naive or is he wrong? I want to know what you think about this. I've had personal experience with this one.
Speaker 4: Is this your question that you see?
Speaker 3: I had experience with this when I was younger, because thirty year old me like feels like there are no rules, but I understand it, and I think you know, each person brings so much stuff and their own personal experiences to the relationship when they meet. So this guy probably has some trust issues or some things that he's bringing to the relationship that he's worked through with this with his girlfriend. Now, it's not necessarily fair to the girlfriend that said I feel like there should be an open conversation early on if this is an issue about what feels okay and what feels like it's crossing the line. So to be really honest to even some people may think this is invasive, but I think it's even okay to if both parties agree to open text messages together at one point and say like, do you feel like this conversation? Does this feel good to you? If not, what doesn't so that I can make sure to be thoughtful about my text messaging the next time. Also, did you have a romantic history with someone? That gets trickier to me, because I actually do, like I've had, I have really good friends that I have a little bit of history with and they're truly platonic now, so I know.
Speaker 1: That that can get dicey.
Speaker 4: What do you think, Well, I have some personal history with this because when I first started getting my now boyfriend, he has some very close friends and two of his best friends who are women he has had a romantic history with.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that's kind of hard to swallow or.
Speaker 4: Some level of romantic history. And so for me, I am not a jealous person, but I am extremely I'm very discerning when it comes to these things. I also think as you get older, your need for massive amounts of friends reduces.
Speaker 1: I think some of this is like with age, people you know.
Speaker 4: Become partnered, or they move on in their careers, or they move it's it's not so important to have this, like maintain this big friend group. And I know I had a big friend group in my twenties of girls and guys and we were all kind of single or just like dating and we would all hang out, but I think it does get more complicated when partners come into the mix, and especially long term partners, people that are married and all of that. For example, I had a guy friend, his name is John. He's still a very very close friend of mine, but I never I don't really ever hang out with him solo now and not that there would be anything weird about that, but out of respect to his wife, I never want her to ever feel like I am intruding into their relationship. I don't ever want her to have even a hint that there is something up. And that's not because she doesn't trust me or him. It's nothing to do with that. It's more me. I never want her to question the relationship. So I want to be the responsible girlfriend friend that is a woman and be like, hey, I don't want to put us in a position where you ever have to wonder about me.
Speaker 3: You know, is like sanctity of the bond, Like what's the wonder?
Speaker 1: I don't want her to ever worry, you know.
Speaker 4: It's like I feel like if we spend some of our life preventing anxiety, anxiety feel like you know, relationships or anxiety filled moments with people that we love. I think that's a really good way to spend your time, and it's not about worrying what other people will think. It's like, hey, I don't care if she's on the text that I send him.
Speaker 1: I don't care if she comes for dinner. I like her too.
Speaker 4: It's fine. And the thing is is, if if he said, hey, do you want to get dinner one night, I would be like you should invite Katie?
Speaker 1: Or like does she want to come?
Speaker 4: Because to me, it's not worth there being any questions there. And also, you know, I think you grow to appreciate people's partners and their life, you know a little bit more. I do think that you totally can have completely platonic friends of the opposite sex. But I do think when you have a partner, you have to be respectful of what they feel comfortable with. And I think, like in cragnized relationship, we had to talk about what those boundaries look like.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 4: If some rando girl that you were friends with in college message you on Instagram, I think you should give me a heads up about that. However, if a close if you're one of your best girlfriends and you are having a normal text conversation. Fine, you know, I'm not worried about that. And so I think it's about, like you said, feeling out what is good for your relationship, what makes your partner feel comfortable.
Speaker 3: It's interesting when you start a new relationship and you guys are figuring out what you're comfortable with, because people's needs and wants are so different. I think when I was younger, I was a little naive to the whole idea of like needing male friendships while I was in a relationship, and I think it did sort of nick away at my relationship, and it's something I regret. I wish I would have been more matured, because eventually the people that have any sort of like weirdness or maybe shouldn't be in your life, once you find a partner, they kind of fall away.
Speaker 1: Oh it's like a natural progression. M h.
Speaker 4: But also, I do think there is a responsibility. If you out there listening are one of the friends, there is a responsibility.
Speaker 1: On your end to it.
Speaker 4: And so for me that means creating really clear boundaries and also making an effort with that person for them to know that I am not a threat to them in any way because I think that is actually a way to be able to keep those friendships but also maintain a level.
Speaker 3: Of respect, and it helps if you are partnered, then there's respect all the way around. Okay, next one, I'm in digital marketing and it's been working at the same place for two years. My boss just gave me a promotion, but it's only a two percent raise. I want to be prepared for negotiations, and I'm pretty tight with my colleagues.
Speaker 1: Can I ask what their salaries are? Yes? Don't you think so?
Speaker 3: Hell? Yeah, I'm like obsessed with the wage gap. I don't care if you're a man or a woman.
Speaker 1: Me too.
Speaker 3: Salary transparency it's the only way to move things forward.
Speaker 1: I also, this is an addendum.
Speaker 3: I also feel like salaries should not be based on your previous job. It should be based on what that role demands. So like, cause we're as women or women identifying, we're all like we're coming at we're coming at any new job from a place of lack. Usually, yep, you should be based on and you can kind of negotiate based on that. But yes, ask people, ask people, and ask multiple people because some will lie to you totally.
Speaker 4: And also I think it's really important. And this is like, once you're already established, ask your coworkers how much money they're making. And especially if someone is a person of color, you need to ask them how much money they're making, and you need to tell them how much money you're making. And like, obviously if someone's very very junior and you're very very senior, that's a different scenario. But I think it is really important, especially if you're doing the same job, to share that, and it's not like you know they're not you know, obviously you don't want them to go in and store them to their boss and say, well, Brian said he's making thirty thousand, but you sure can use it as a tool for your negotiations. And also, I think it is so smart, like you said, to kind of forget what you made before, like, don't even have it in your mind what job, Especially if you're coming from a job to another job. Let's say you made forty grand at your previous job. You don't need to go in and be like, Okay, well I was making forty and so I should at least get forty five as a raise or fifty.
Speaker 1: No, just forget what you made, Yeah, this job is worth seventy, so you're gonna make seventy.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, and you never have to tell people what you made before.
Speaker 1: And also you always should negotiate.
Speaker 4: And you know what the thing is is if people don't negotiate their salaries, that is a huge red flag to a lot of employers.
Speaker 3: So when I was younger, I was terrified to negotiate because I wanted a job so badly I didn't want to tell my am I would have done.
Speaker 1: It for free, like I just wanted the job, yep.
Speaker 3: And it was a big regret of mine because I realized that they didn't hold me to the same regard because negotiating is a sign of maturity and confidence and anybody that you want to work for wants you to be confident and have that skill set. So it's really a lose lose to not negotiate, and people don't really tell.
Speaker 1: You that absolutely.
Speaker 4: I think my top tip for like gaining confidence in negotiating would be remember that ninety nine point nine percent of jobs are sales. You're selling something or you're making something to sell, or you're marketing to people to sell. Like very few jobs are without some sort of sales. You know, whether whether it's someone selling to you know, two layers down the line, or if it's you actively selling. Unfortunately, we live in a capitalistic society that makes things for you.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately. Yeah, yeah, make shit.
Speaker 4: For people to buy, or you make shit for people to listen to, or whatever it is, even even artists, even musicians. At the end of the day, you're a salesperson for yourself, That's true. The thing is, sure as hell wouldn't sell a salesperson who wouldn't negotiate on the other end. So why would I hire you if you didn't even negotiate for yourself.
Speaker 1: You are your best asset.
Speaker 4: How are you gonna ever stand up for my company and sell if you yourself don't sell yourself your biggest asset. And I think when you walk in with that sort of mentality of like, oh I am the product, like I am selling myself to this person, and so do you want to put yourself on sale?
Speaker 3: No, you're not clearance, Ben, you know it's like you have to act a discount ad tax bitch. You know this next one I love because people don't may not know this about you, but you used to work in the wedding industry. You planned like half a million dollar weddings and I you have like some really good advice for people on your Instagram. This one's complicated. My younger sister is a few years younger than I am. We've always had a strenuous relationship. She's prettier than me and always very outgoing and sucks up all the air in the room.
Speaker 1: I'm getting married.
Speaker 3: She's still single, and I don't want her at my bachelorette I just want to have fun and want it to be about me for once, But I don't want to cause a huge fight.
Speaker 1: Can I not invite her? No?
Speaker 4: Right, No, you cannot invite I mean, listen, you can, but there's gonna be a huge fight.
Speaker 3: There's something in that question that struck me as a flag, and I mean, like, no harm to the person who sent it in at all.
Speaker 1: It's not we all have shit. I just she said, I just want it to be about me for once.
Speaker 3: If you feel like your bachelorette party is the moment that it should be about you, I feel like there's a larger issue in your life and you need to make your life about you and invite your sister to your bachelorette and make that about fun and community celebration.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 4: And also I think the thing is is like when you're stuck in a childhood cycle of someone getting more attention than you, it's really hard to break that. Yeah, But the thing is is you have to allow people to also give you that attention and also honor you. And I think the thing is is you will create a bigger rift with your sister by not inviting her.
Speaker 1: And then it will inevitably be about her. That's such a good point.
Speaker 4: I get it you don't want it to be about her, but I assure you it's gonna be glaringly obvious that she's not there. And then the whole time, like you're writing into a podcast about it, you're making it already about her.
Speaker 1: Ye, Like it's already about her.
Speaker 4: The only thing you can do now is release that shit, let her come and make it about you.
Speaker 1: You have to own it.
Speaker 4: This is a moment. It is not the moment of your life. Your wedding is not your moment in the sun. It is It is a day, and I understand that it means a lot of people, And as a person who used to plan weddings that would cost half a million, dollars. I get it, it is an important part of your life. But we as women have to stop seeing ourselves and our validity wrapped up into the day that we get betrothed, like this is not all there is out there for us, Like this is not the only time we should be celebrated. This is not the only time that you're going to be the star of the show. This is not the only time that you have You have, like you said, your whole life. Start taking up space, start commanding attention, and work on your own journey with your own confidence. Because the thing is is, like, often I feel like our perception of other people sucking up all the air in the room is actually because we feel really small.
Speaker 1: It has something to do with the other person.
Speaker 4: You're so right, It doesn't have to do anything with the other person. It is when we shrink away, everything appears bigger. And the thing is is, like, I understand how annoying it must be to have a hot sister.
Speaker 1: I get it. Actually I don't get it.
Speaker 4: I'm an only child, and thank god, after we're listening to this question, I'm like, oh, thank god, I can be the star of my show. But seriously, like I understand feeling that way over and over, but it is now your time to be like, no, this is my life. I can be in the center of this and this person can still be there, and I think her being there will actually prove more to you about how much space you take up than her not being there.
Speaker 1: I am really.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm like always kind of enthralled by you, but I am really.
Speaker 1: That was a good good answer.
Speaker 4: Also, let me just say this, this is like a trauma rama story from a wedding. So this is not a wedding I planned, but this is a wedding I was assisting on another planner was doing it, and we would always like assist on each other's weddings. Oh my god, this okay. I hope that this person doesn't listen to this and is like.
Speaker 1: That's it. My sister's not even coming to wedding.
Speaker 4: But these this woman was getting married and her sister was a little bit of a you could tell maybe star of the show type, got it. Her sister was her maid of honor, and in her wedding speech she announced her pregnancy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's actually really funny. I was like, oh no, this is not happening. Literally my like face melted.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, no, like, way to really make it about you.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the biggest like that was the huge, hugest flex of all times. She was like, and I just wanted to let you know that you're gonna be an aunt.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, I'm like, oh my god, my face feels hot.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, what happened?
Speaker 1: Did the room like kind of like oh clap? It was really weird.
Speaker 4: That is everyone, because everyone kind of knew what was going on.
Speaker 3: Okay, so just make sure that your sister isn't pregnant and then invite her to your bad the threat party.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yep, yep. Oh this is interesting.
Speaker 3: I love myself, but I wish my butt was bigger, and I think my boyfriend wishes it was bigger too.
Speaker 1: Any advice on how to put this behind me? No, but I'm starting to think about it too much.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, don't get a Brazilian butt lift, because I heard you can't sit down for six weeks and that just seems like not great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and also like I see all these people on social media that go to South America for there and that doesn't go well.
Speaker 1: So don't do any of that.
Speaker 4: There was that one girl. Do you remember that story about that girl in Florida? Of course, and she injected cement into her ass.
Speaker 1: Oh no, you remember that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was ament. Yeah, liquid cement into her ass and then she almost died.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awful.
Speaker 4: I mean you really, like, I'm not gonna say survival of it is, but you know, cement was never going to be good in there. Like, I know, I don't want you to die. Ever, I don't want anyone to die.
Speaker 1: But that's a couple of things. Although that although that Gorilla blue.
Speaker 4: Hair girl is really thriving on Instagram, have you checked up with her?
Speaker 3: I'm really upset about this because I was sad that her, like she had to deal with her hair that sucked and I get a bad haircut and I cry.
Speaker 1: So I understand. I can't even begin to understand the trauma of what of what that was.
Speaker 3: However, now she's like riding around in yes hot rod cars and like there was.
Speaker 1: A go fund me. I can't believe I just said hot rod, but there was like a go fund me.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I think, like maybe I'm eighty, it comes out I.
Speaker 1: Use certain weird terms.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's like everything that was wrong with capitalism happened there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was like, she's like now an influencer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, okay, I mean you know what a hair fluencer.
Speaker 4: She's a hair f I mean, we're just we're lucky that she has a scalp still. But but truly, I kind of I kind of of loved the journey for her. Like she's like, I did something dumb and then I got rewarded for it.
Speaker 1: What's more American than that? Yeah, it's true, and she did have a good spirit about it. I'll give her that she did.
Speaker 4: I mean, here's a thing I posted that like way early on, like I had just found her, she had like not very many views on TikTok, and I posted it to Instagram and then I one day woke up and I had three hundred dms that were like gorilla glue. Girl is famous, And I'm like, you know what she deserves?
Speaker 1: And also did I make her famous?
Speaker 4: Am I part of the machine analyzing all my life choices? Okay, so let's get back to this girls. But here's the thing. Get a booty thing if you want it. Everyone should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies. However, and this is something I've just noticed in my own life and other people's lives. Once you start tweaking things, you just move on to the next thing that you want to do, and you start becoming obsessed. It's an obsessive thing. It's not about the thing, actually, And I would say dump your boyfriend. If he's constantly talking about how he wished you had a butt, I would like I would I would like to follow up with this person and say, how do you know that your boyfriend likes juicy booties? Is it does easy liking butt pictures on Instagram?
Speaker 1: Hope not? That's I hate that.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I have a question for you. We're going to get back to this butt thing. Yeah, we're putting, We're putting, We're keeping the tab open, putting it, putting a pin in the booty.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: If you were dating someone and you saw that they were liking a lot of butt picks, how would you tactfully address that or would you let it slide?
Speaker 1: How would that go?
Speaker 3: I'm actually like, maybe fervently on the other end of this before I go on a date with somebody, usually.
Speaker 1: If I care, like if it's just a fun date. Whatever.
Speaker 3: If I like, actually think I might like this person, I look at who they follow on Instagra, and if they follow a bunch of like instagirl type things, people that don't have like people that are just posting their butts, Like we are not the same, we don't have the same values.
Speaker 1: I don't even want to go on the date.
Speaker 3: So if I'm in a relationship with someone and now I like love them, and now I'm just finding this out, I'm going to be really distraught.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you did your research already and like the research, the research really backfired literally.
Speaker 1: Like also, why do you need to like the photo? Yes, that to me is a big problem.
Speaker 3: Because now all my friends can see that you like the I actually have an experience with this. I have a friend who's married and her husband, you know, like on Instagram you can see it'll say, like, if you are friends with that person, this person liked the photo, any instagirl photo that I come up to, it says so and so has liked the photo. None of my business. It's her husband, not mine. But it makes me feel weird and he liked the photo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's weird also to me, liking the photo or leaving a comment. That is, you're setting a signal to that person, no matter if they have two million followers, Like it doesn't matter. You're sending a signal I am giving you attention.
Speaker 1: And that to me is messed up in a relationship.
Speaker 4: Like if you're like walking down the street and there's a hot girl and they happen to be like mentally like.
Speaker 1: That girl's hot. I get it. We're people.
Speaker 4: We have attractions, Like I look at Timothy shallow May and I'm like, hey, you can be a second boyfriend in my head, But it's the liking for me, it's the following. It's the actively pursuing booty that is not okay, okay, so let's go back to the pin about the butt.
Speaker 1: I would say, first of all.
Speaker 4: You should really analyze that this is something that you really care about on yourself, or if this is something that your partner, you feel like your partner doesn't like and so you've internalized that because misogyny is real and like, the patriarchy has done this to us. It has brainwashed us to say I should not like things that men don't like on me.
Speaker 1: First thing.
Speaker 4: Second thing, I think anytime I'm starting to feel really bad about like a body part or like, you know, like I have a lot of stuff. I have a lot of stuff going on. I've been on like a weight last journey. I've been super super fit, I've been like two hundred and twenty five pounds.
Speaker 1: I've been all the way in between.
Speaker 4: And one thing that really helped me with my journey with like self acceptance and like kind of like body neutrality is understanding that we're not like an inventory checklist of our parts. We don't get graded per part. We're not like a Ford, you know, It's like we're a person. And the thing is is like, yeah, there are certain things are that are that are part of our bodies that we really love about ourselves, and there's certain parts that maybe we're not as happy with. But I think when you start kind of inventorying each thing and coding it bad or good, that's where you start getting into trouble. And So anytime that I start saying, oh, like I wish my stomach was this way, or I wish my thighs were this way, step back, step back, like physically from a mirror from a scale. Stop obsessing over your ass. Stop taking pictures of your ass or whatever the hell you're doing, and be like, Okay, let me look at myself zoomed out a little bit, and what do I actually like about myself?
Speaker 1: And refocus that energy. I also think a huge thing.
Speaker 4: Is like get a hobby, Like get things that you like in your life, because when you are busy in a good way, you have less time to be busy in a bad way.
Speaker 1: Yes, like you're busy in a bad way.
Speaker 4: You're finding yourself thinking about your butt all the time, when really you could be busy thinking about gaining confidence in other things, getting interested in other things, making friends, bettering your communication, go into therapy, doing all that shit.
Speaker 1: I can guarantee you.
Speaker 4: Your brain only has a certain amount of capacity, and if it is filled up with all this stuff that brings you confidence, it will not have time to think about your butt.
Speaker 3: Jamila Jamil, who has really taught me a lot about body neutrality, says something that I love.
Speaker 1: She's like, if you're busy.
Speaker 3: Thinking about your body all the time, then you don't have time to think about making money and having orgasms. And it's like start thinking about the things that actually make you happy. True, and that's not to negate the fact that it's it's sometimes difficult to not think about our bodies. I think, particularly as women, we earn a lot of kind of social capital through appearance, and it's reinforced when we walk down the street and when we're at a coffee shop and when we meet people, and so I think it's impossible to not think about it. Make it one of the ten things you think about, not the only thing or the top three things you think about. It's just such a recipe for disaster. And I've also noticed that the moments that I do think about my body or you know, when I was younger, I hated my nose, like.
Speaker 1: Those types of things. Two things.
Speaker 3: One usually something else is going on that I'm not dealing with inside.
Speaker 1: And two I started switching.
Speaker 3: For instance, my nose is like it like I don't know, my profile is a little different, and I stopped thinking about, oh, I hate that, and I started thinking, that's like my that's my dad's nose. I'm connected to him through that, and that, you know, like to flip it on its head. Now I feel like a lot of love when I look at my nose in the mirror, because it's him it's my other side of my family instead of like, oh, this doesn't look good in photos?
Speaker 1: What's funny? And this is I'm not joking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when I first got on the podcast, I was like, she has a really beautiful nose, Like it's so straight, it's like perfectly highlight I.
Speaker 1: Was like, it was easy, and I'm a big nose person.
Speaker 4: On Craig and I's first date, that's one of the only compliments I gave him.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I said, you have a great little nose, no wonder he fell in love with you.
Speaker 4: But then he also started talking about Phantom Planet, the band, and I was like, are you going to talk about Phantom Planet.
Speaker 1: This whole time? And he was like, uh oh. But literally when we got on, I was like.
Speaker 4: She is such a great nose, it's so straight and also perfectly highlighted.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, but also see how funny that is, Like I would never expect that someone would ever compliment, so it's so interesting.
Speaker 4: Well, and I think also like this to this listener projecting a little bit onto what her boyfriend thinks, unless your boyfriend has told you I don't like this about your body, and then in that case, I'm not telling you to set his house on fire, but like I'm not going to tell anyone, you know, like it's a secret safe with us. But like I think you also might be projecting on his likes. And I also I think you can ask someone that you trust and that you love, like, what are things that we love about each other? Like, let's talk about things that we love about each other. And I think you'll realize that maybe you're projecting a little bit on them. We think about that much more than they do. They're just happy to be there. They're happy to be invited to the party, you know what I mean, Like they're happy you have a butt and you're still talking to.
Speaker 1: Them, you know, so good today.
Speaker 4: Also one thing for body image stuff that I stopped that I stopped doing that changed my life. And this this is not what I said about butt. Every morning I found myself kind of like by habit. The second I would get up, I would lift up my shirt and look in the mirror. I would like look at my stomach or like look at my body. Like it's just like a slight body checking. And I know obviously with like people that struggle with ED, they do that a lot. But I realized, like in the mornings, I would do that, and I thought what it was doing. I thought in my head, oh, I look best in the mornings, and so oh, this is when I feel the most like lean and I haven't had food and I'm not as bloated and like I would. I was lying to myself and I told myself, well, I want to see myself when I look my best.
Speaker 1: But then what it does is it fucks.
Speaker 4: The rest of your thinking of the rest of the day because I don't look like I did this morning. I don't look as like lean or my stomach sticking out because you just had broccoli, okay, Like we're gassy. It's okay. I'm a very gassy person. And the thing is, it's like, even if you can trick yourself into thinking that you were doing a good thing for yourself by being like, I'm beautiful, it's not.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 4: You're just setting up a way to compare yourself. So every mirror you walk past, first thing in the morning, too, just resist the urge to constantly be evaluating.
Speaker 1: It's tiring. I've never thought about that.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you pointed that out, because it's such a detailed thing, and you're right, and it's maybe we could do a whole episode on body neutrality versus positivity. But I personally like neutrality because I don't think I want to not think about it as much as possible.
Speaker 1: Me too.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're gonna do a little rapid fire. And you asked me this on your pot I loved it. Someone on Instagram that we should all be following, or someone's work you love that we don't know about.
Speaker 1: Do you want a serious answer? Do you want a silly answer? Both?
Speaker 4: Okay for serious, I'm gonna go with Wow. There's just so many incredible people on Instagram, aren't they?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: I really like actually struggle to I love Blarry Money.
Speaker 1: I don't know who that is.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh my gosh, Okay, you need to follow her. Blair Money. She does all of these like kind of segments on like breaking down this, breaking down this, and it's a lot having to do with race and diversity and sexuality and it's really really interesting. And she's a woman of color and she's just she's extremely smart, and she also brings in a lot of creators that specialized in those topics too, and elevates their voices, which I appreciate. And then fun, I like this woman called Ballerina Farm.
Speaker 1: Did we talk about Ballerina Farm? I don't think so, but I already am interested in the name.
Speaker 4: She is a Juilliard trained ballerina from New York or she trained in New York City and she moved to a farm and has about twenty five children, and now she just milks cows and like makes butter, and she just like all of her kids look like they're from the nineteen fifties and she's just out like milking a pig. I don't even know if you can milk a pig, but she will find a way. She literally birthed like her literal like seventh child. And then the next day on Instagram story, she's holding the newborn baby milking a cow, and I was like, I've never felt so underwhelming in my entire life. But I'm just like, no, I don't want to make sour do oh yep, I do want to learn how to make souredoa bread.
Speaker 1: I definitely want to watch her do it. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: We kind of talked about this at the top, actually, which is funny. What movie do you watch when you're sad. I like anything that's murdery. Oh god, you know, you know what's like a great movie? Two two really good ones for that. The movie Double Jeopardy.
Speaker 1: I love that movie, actually, Judd, Oh my god, that's just the shit movie. She's the shit.
Speaker 3: And the scene at the cemetery in New Orleans. Go watch that movie.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. If you haven't seen it, I don't know where you've been. I think I feel like.
Speaker 3: Double Morgan Freeman did not get enough praise at all.
Speaker 1: Morgan Freeman's in it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and who doesn't love Morgan Freeman coming exactly? That movie is just if you want to feel like actually, both of these movies are like revenge man movies. So I don't know what that says about me.
Speaker 1: You and I have something. Also, the movie Enough with Jennifer Lopez all so so good. I think that's her best work.
Speaker 4: Same Also Aaron Brockovic another really great movie. When you're sad and you want to feel like women got it. Aaron Brockovitch. I watch that on every single single Delta flight. I'm on, Oh, I've seen all the movies, so I might as well choose the best one on there. You know what, I watch on every Delta flight when we used to be able to go on planes? Is what is it called now? It's it's about the women astronauts that worked for NASA.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 4: My gosh good, it's it's so good. It's so good. It's like four black women that end up working for NASA. The name is not great of the movie, and that is why it is a Hidden Figures, Hidden Figures. But that is that name is not good for that movie.
Speaker 3: It's not it doesn't really like, it doesn't really express what it's about and how amazing those women were.
Speaker 4: But I watch that on every plane ride and then played Tetris while I do it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's my think.
Speaker 3: The new like Revenge against Men movie I watch on every flight is bombshell.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, also a great one, so really good and like you don't think you're gonna like it, but you do? Are we okay? So my laughs.
Speaker 3: I also have to say that there are a ton of male listeners on this podcast great and.
Speaker 1: Love you, We love you You are like.
Speaker 3: I get them sometimes the most thoughtful, most amazing messages, and I think the men that listen to this are like like they're really like great people.
Speaker 1: So I don't mean revenge against you. I just mean I like the movies. No, here's the thing. Women.
Speaker 4: For a long time, we were portrayed as a secondary figure, and it's really nice to see women really taking charge of their life.
Speaker 1: And it's not against you.
Speaker 4: We don't want to revenge kill you, but if we get wrongly accused for a crime, we're gonna commit it again. You know.
Speaker 1: That's all we're saying.
Speaker 4: We don't want to kill you, but if you double jeopardy us, we're gonna get you.
Speaker 1: Or have you divorced us for a younger woman? Oh?
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, a book that changed your life that everybody should read.
Speaker 4: Oh, my favorite book of all time, How to Win Friends and Influence People by del Carnegie.
Speaker 1: Love that book. Have you read it?
Speaker 3: Actually? I started it and never finished. Three people have told me to read it. It's like a classic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Other one is Daring Greatly by Breune Brown Class.
Speaker 3: Also something that I didn't finish because it was so dense and something I need to reread.
Speaker 1: So thank you for that.
Speaker 3: Okay, I do a pretty smart question every week. I choose a random one. Okay, what is something you wish people could see? About you that they don't see at first glance.
Speaker 1: I can be rather dry.
Speaker 4: I'm like very silly in my home life, and I'm I'm hilarious, like I'm hilarious like with people. But I think I'm more like dry sarcastic, like badass funny, and less like goofy. But at home, I'm very goofy, very silly, and I'm mostly just making up songs about my dog.
Speaker 1: I would have not known that about you. Yeah, I'm really silly. Why do you think that only comes out at home?
Speaker 4: I think let's end on this serious trauma note.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: I think when I was younger, I had to be very self sufficient and very mature and kind of always portray this like strength, and so I want to be funny and like cutting, but I also, you know, I always try to be really kind in the you know, in all of that. But at home, I think all my guard comes down and I don't need to be strong. I can kind of rest. That part of me rest, and I like that part of me. It just gets to like take a breather while I'm at home, and I can just be silly and sing songs about my dog on the toilet and he loves my toilet songs, and my boyfriend does too, he just doesn't.
Speaker 1: Tell me that often.
Speaker 4: Right, Craig, Right, Craig, you love my toilet dog songs.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is the smartest decision you've ever made?
Speaker 4: The smartest decision I've ever made was actually a decision that was kind of made for me. My boss of eight years kind of basically like kindly fired me and told me to become an entrepreneur. And I guess the.
Speaker 1: Smartest decision I ever made was listening. That's pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, I usually end on that, but you asked me something on your podcast that I loved. You said, if people can go and listen to one episode, which one should they listen to?
Speaker 1: So I'm going to ask you the same thing. Where where should people go if their first time listeners to press end?
Speaker 4: I mean obviously listen to our episode, but if they got enough of us? Oh okay, oh wow, I mean not sure how that would be possible. We've been talking about butts and toilet songs and cheating a range of things, and a bunch of early two thousands movies that have no relevance now. But you know what episodes You're really revealing for me, and they're actually not like a typical episode. Are my sex episodes with doctor Holly Richmond and my financial episodes with Shannon McLay. We give a lot of really great financial advice from an expert, not me, and really debunk a lot of.
Speaker 1: Myths around finances.
Speaker 4: And the sex episodes were really helpful because there's so much stigma surrounding talking about sex. We talk about everything from like the fallacy of the female orgasm, to like lacking desire with a partner versus them having more desire. We talk about, you know, different kinds of penetration, if you want to experiment with your sexuality, what that looks like. So those episodes for me, while they're atypical for the podcast, I really think they offer a lot of really important, typically stigmatized information.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. You know.
Speaker 3: I think finances are the one thing that people write into me about the most because it's like it's just so confusing. So that's really cool and a great resource. Thank you, Yeah, thank you. Thanks Jane.
Speaker 1: All Right, today is a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next