Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg business Week Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Steneveek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Just looking at the major industry groups in the S and P five hundred today, there are eleven your best performing group financials, but they were still down about four tenths of a percent. Bottom of the pack. Energy was down about two and a half percent. Real Estate was down about two and a half percent, Consumer discretionary down about two and a half percent, Materials down almost three percent. All eleven of the main industry groups are down today. Let's see what Vince Cignerella makes of the trade that we've seen not only today but since the tariffs were imposed. Vince, of course, is Bloomberg Macros strategist joining us. So, Vince, it looked like we were going to have we did have a rally, and it looked like maybe it would hold, and then.
Speaker 4: That was not to be the case is it looks.
Speaker 3: Like trade tariffs and talk about that between the US and China flared up again. Talked to us about the trade today and what was significant for you.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean the tariff is the you know again, the tariffs are the word tariff is the trade. You know, there was a little bit of excitement this morning when Trump was announcing potential deals with South Korea and Japan, and that Italy's Maloney was coming in a couple of weeks to discuss trade. So things were looking on the up. And then the reinforcement that China tariffs was still with US and we're going to hit it about one hundred and four percent tonight. That was confirmed or reconfirmed, i should say. And the reality what we heard from Trump this morning was, you know, China wants to do a deal. They don't know how to contact us, you know, I mean they went to the wto this morning complaining of Ouz Harris. So that that's hardly that's hardly a country looking to do a deal with the US. And it's really unlikely that President she is going to be knocking on the White House door with hat in hand looking to do a trade with Trump. So this is going to be extended for a while, I think.
Speaker 6: And that's extended in what says like, we know the fight's going to be extended, but the carnage that we're seeing if your long equities, how long is that going to be extended? What turns that around? I mean stocks have been in free fall in the last four days.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a really really good question. Talking to traders today, we're definitely seeing some folks stepping in at the clothes, getting their toes in the water. The extension that possibly that people are talking about is forty five hundred in the SMP cash. We're still about four hundred away from that. But you know, there's going to be a lot of give and take, and even if that happens, we're is just a lot of talk and I don't want to really go into this too much because it's just a lot of scuttle but on the street about if things continue like this, will the Trump administration look for a scapegoat? Will it be will it be Lutnik? Will it be the Varro? And traders today are putting more bets on the Varrol than Ludnik.
Speaker 6: So what would what would that do to markets? If if Navarro got the booth, and look again, you're saying this is scuttle. You're saying this is scuttle, but.
Speaker 5: It's totally rumored, just totally conversation on this.
Speaker 6: But there's it.
Speaker 5: But would that actually o fact to this whatsoever? But if Navarro would get the booth tomorrow, you probably see about a two thousand point rally in out.
Speaker 3: To be honest, well, you know, it's so funny that you say that, because we were talking with our Max Chafkin about some of the back and forth between Elon musk Uh and Peter Navarro, and you know what, there's been some speculation again rumor careful, let's be smart here, but that, yes, but that the president, you know, looking for an off ramp, and I guess we just assumed it would be in deal with countries. But you do wonder if he is looking for some individual to say, listen, that was his plan. Maybe it was wrong. Let's get him, you know, let him go, and let's let's let's redo this. But again, who knows?
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, I mean I think the I think what you said, the former part of that is really where it's going to come from. You're going to see deals getting done okay, And I think the administration is going to be touting more of the deals getting done in the next couple of weeks as opposed to the deals not getting done as in visa vich China, And I think we're going to start to see a little bit more positive comments come out of the White House to turn this little bit. Don't forget. We've even seen the Republicans pushing back against Trump where they tried booking the Senate and some in the House trying to basically impose a bill that basically says Trump has to go through the Senate in the House in order to impost harffs it's dead on arrival. It's nice, it's it's not going to absolutely so, it's it's the OA, it's not going anywhere. But just the idea that they would even consider that, and that his own party is pushing back is definitely going to have some conversation going on in the White House. And I think it's very very interesting that in the last twenty four maybe even forty eight hours, we haven't heard a peep at a Ludnik and he's been the real bull in the China shop, if you will. In the same camp As Navarro talking really tough on trade.
Speaker 6: Okay, so maybe that's the case. Who we have heard a lot from his Treasury secretary Scott Bessett. What do you make of that. He's been out each and every day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, he's not going to go against Trump, but he is again in terms of what the market sees is a voice or reason, so he's more likely to put a positive spin on things than a negative spin on things. Remember like the rumors yesterday what has it where he said Trump was going to consider a ninety day pause. That headline was complete fiction. Came out of a conversation on Fox, which was an elaboration on a very very on very some thing has to said that I really had nothing to do with a pause, And you saw the market react like surging on that news. They're desperately looking for good news to buy into this. People do have cash, they do want to get into this, But you just don't want to step in front of the steamroller right now because it's still it's still coming. As we saw today, although like think about like in the last fifteen minutes, the Dow was down over eight hundred, down three twenty into the close, so there's still a lot of possibility for this to turn around that I would just be really careful if you want to dip your toes in a little bit. It's not a bad idea, yeah, but definitely don't be sticking your head through the door.
Speaker 6: Vince, Vince, it's you know, I want to go back to this idea that you know, if we saw a head roll, if you you you say, if you see a head roll, we could see a Look. We kind of saw this yesterday with this ninety day reprieve. You know, read all about it on the terminal. Great stories from Bailey Lipschulten more about what happened yesterday. Carol, you were out, but it was crazy, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I believe it or not.
Speaker 6: You've paid attention occasionally.
Speaker 3: I was like reading it because I hate you can't I.
Speaker 6: Was. But Vince, if we were to see a head roll, that doesn't necessarily mean that Trump would back off this policy, he told our editor in chief John Mikelswade before the election. Tariff is his favorite word in the English language.
Speaker 5: I remember that conversation very very well. See what I think what people really need to understand is and forget about the short term view oh, the markets are going down. Trump's going to change his mind. This, that, and the other thing. He really really is an attempting to rewrite economic policy for the United States for the last forty years. He wants to bring us back before globalization, before the Clinton globalization years, more towards that nineteen eighty eight, Reagan, nineteen ninety two, George Bush kind of concept. Are trying to bring, you know, manufacturing back to the United States. The only way he's going to do that is to somehow undermine and cripple the manufacturing state of China. And the only way to do that is to outlast them. You know, we can't outspend them. We have a thirty six in building a trillion dollar deficit. This isn't This isn't Reagan against against Russia in the eighties where he outspent Russia and sort of won that war, if you will.
Speaker 3: But to be fair, to be fair, Vince, you know, this is something we talked about Tom Morlock earlier. I mean, we have what a one point two trillion dollar trade deficit with China, and I mean that's real money, right, And the whole reason that American companies wanted to be in China and they set up shop there and so on and so forth. Is they wanted to tap into the one billion plus consumers of China and it hasn't necessarily worked out as well as some might have anticipated. And so this is about I feel like, or is it about us and China or China kind of playing more in a way in terms of trade back and forth.
Speaker 5: You know, I think so if you realistically, if you look at globalization, the idea of globalization was we were going to float all boats. So we in the United States, for instance, and the developed countries I shouldn't say just the United States. We were going to invest in underdeveloped countries and such. We were going to lift up their economies and then they were going to buy our goods, right, and all boats were going to float and everyone was going to prosper. Well, that didn't happen. If you look at globalization in and of itself, it was a failed policy. What happened was the developed countries spent a lot of money into underdeveloped countries and they didn't buy anything of ours. We just bought a lot of their cheaper stuff, and that created deficits across the developed nations. Mostly of course, in the United States because our consumers spend more than anyone else in the world. And so what Trump is trying to do is recalibrate that. And you know, you can't fix it all in one day, but bring it back a little closer to the middle where essentially we get some meeting of the ways where they get a little bit I get that balance and trade.
Speaker 6: Yeah, maybe you can look, maybe you can get Japan to buy more US autos because we buy so many autos from Japan that for example. But is there a way in your view to actually go back in time, because I think the ship has sailed the genies out of the bottle. That seems to be like, this is not a world of forty years ago. This is a world where you know, we're we're using WhatsApp to connect with people all over the world right now on devices that are made with components that include Africa, Asia, Europe, the United States. Like, this is a different world that we live in. We're not making clothes in the US that we wear like, this is a completely different world.
Speaker 5: Yes, and we're we're not going to be making We're not going to be making textiles, you know, cheap textiles and United States. I think realistically, the manufacturing he wants to bring back to the United States is a bit more high end. Where he's talking about guatos, for instance, chips, you know, things of that nature. We're not we're not talking about we're not talking about making sweaters and socks in the United States. It's more on the high end stuff and setting and setting perhaps in the high end of things, a more level playing field, you know, as opposed to as opposed to what happens now. And you know, look, yeah, to think of it realistically, all of the rhetoricrat they are saying tariffs are bad, tariffs are bad, tariffs are bad. Well, if they're so bad, why do so many other countries have them? To some extent, it's definitely benefiting a lot of other countries. And I think that is what he's trying to do, just to get a little bit of a fairer trade situation. Right as you mentioned it, we're not going back to the nineteen eighties. We're not going to you know, steel mills are now. There's going to be propped up all over this country tomorrow.
Speaker 4: But we haven't gone back to smooth Holly. I'm just going to say.
Speaker 3: Going back further, I know, love it, love it, just for those on radio.
Speaker 4: Vince actually like rolled his eyes on that.
Speaker 3: Having said that, Vince, I want to go back.
Speaker 4: I want to go back to the market.
Speaker 3: You know, we technically intraday saw a twenty percent correction on the S and P five hundred and so technically hitting a bear market.
Speaker 4: We bounced back off of it.
Speaker 3: Is that significant that we didn't close there?
Speaker 5: I think we need to see how we do overnight and have China markets where the Asian markets react overnight. I mean, we could easily see us testing to get in tomorrow into the US session, depending upon the rhetoric. I mean, you know, how is China going to push back tonight? We don't know, We don't We don't know what kind of comments we're going to get from she or or or other trade ministers from China. You know, we we've we've pushed them pretty hard, you know, and to expect them again to come to the table is naive.
Speaker 3: I think, what's the what's the commentary that you're finding as you you you know, talk with traders throughout the day. I mean, yes, it's a lot of selling. Yes, the markets have functioned well For those of us who are here during the Great Financial Crisis, it was crazy and you really felt like I mean, I just remember thinking, oh my god, the financial market system.
Speaker 6: It doesn't feel like that to you now though it doesn't.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think everybody clearly understands why the market is selling off. There is a clear catalyst, and.
Speaker 6: We call it self self inflicted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so exactly. So I how do you what do people say about the market selling about this and when does it become something much more problematic than an understanding that it's coming from the White House directly.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I think the endgame, I mean, obviously the administration's endgame, but I think everybody would kind of think the same. If you look at this in the more medium to long term, this will pass, as as if you think about the financial crisis that you made, you passed. I can remember the crash in the late eighties, looking over my shoulder and every time I looked over at the Tiller eight, which was back then, and see whether the dob was going going, oh my god, we're still going down. Yeah, you know, the the the sell off of this magnitude, I think it's it's different in the sense that it's all happening in kind of one week, and then not just the sell off, but the volatility. We're down, we're up, We're down, we're up. It kind of reminds me of training currencies back in the eighties. This is a kind of volatility that we saw in currency markets forty five years ago. You don't really see it in equity market so much so it's it's unusual, and it's and it's different, and I think a lot of folks in equities are just not accustomed to this. Uh And I don't think any traders are really accustomed to this. Since we've gone electronic, we haven't had it. Will this kind of evolve?
Speaker 6: Vince? Is there is there is there a technical signal that you can glean from stocks starting higher, then losing that momentum, and then finishing decidedly in the red.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, you look at this, and you look at you know, these are ugly tapes. I mean, without question, you don't like to see this kind of price action where you where you start out high in the morning and you have this positive euphoria and then the sort of puke into the into the afternoon.
Speaker 6: That's a technical term right, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 5: Technically right into the close, but there was I will say there was a positive to the close. I mean we were down about eight hundred and fifty points. I think in the now we closed down around three twenty, So there was definitely there was definitely some capitulation, some buying. We're starting on just glancing over futures is still trading abower as we head into the last hour before the break at five o'clock, So we are seeing a little bit of a sell off in future and it's not terrible, it's not aggressive. You know, we have inflation numbers coming on Thursday and Friday, sentiment numbers coming on Friday, and we start the earning season with banks on Friday. So my guess is the earnings bar is probably going to be set pretty low for next week and for the banks on Friday. So there is a very good chance we get some good numbers. And if the tariff conversation just quiets a little and we get some positive earnings next week and a good week of earnings, we could easily see this rebound dramatically.
Speaker 3: Well, listen around the markets. We went with you, thank you, thank you, thank you. Vince Signorellacome macro strategists joining us here on this Tuesday.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five e's during listen on Applecarplay and Android Otto with the Bloomberg Business app or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 6: From Wall Street to Capitol Hill. Because politically, this trade war is creating divisions in the Republican net Party, Republican senators expressed anxiety over the potential economic toll of Donald Trump's global tariffs and pressed his trade representative from more clarity on the President's objectives in the trade conflict. Check Out what Tom Tillis of North Carolina said today, quote Who's throat? Do I get to choke? If this turns out to be wrong? This was as US Trade Representative Jameson Greer testified before the Senate Finance Committee. You got Ted Cruz extending his critique of the tariffs, and then carry you got to note Elon Musk, the billionaire presidential advisor he attacked White House Trade Counselor Pete Navarro is dumber than a sack of bricks over this fight. This terriff regime's spilling onto social media.
Speaker 3: Today, we want to ask what Wendy Schiller thinks and makes of all of this. She's professor of political science at Brown University, joining us from Providence, Rhode Island. Professor Shiller, great to have you back with us. It does feel like some Republicans are getting a little uncomfortable with some of the President's policies.
Speaker 4: How do you read it?
Speaker 7: Well, good after Carol and Tim. I think this is going to be an interesting sort of power play within the Republican Party and it will spill over to the tax cut bill because the only leverage that the Republicans Senators have even Visa VI the House Republicans and President Trump is the tax bill, which President Trump really really wants as an accomplishment, particularly for this year. So, you know, if they're not getting the answers they want, if they're getting if they want to protect particular industries in their states, even at the most local level, big businesses that are suffering from these tariffs or will suffer from the tariffs, they're going to have to play hardball with the President's most preferred legislative package, and that's the tax cuts. So you're going to start to see behind the scenes, but also maybe publicly. Ran Paul's been pretty out there from Kentucky saying he's not happy about this either. And I think that's what's beginning to disrupt the inter chamber negotiations on the tax bill.
Speaker 6: Bet in the House, in the Senate, how much power do these members of Congress actually have because the Resident has shown he is not afraid to support primarying some of these folks if they don't get behind his agenda.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, his Trump's success record in primaries in the in the Senate level, at the cement level is not all that great. His success is a little bit better on the House side, but not really on the Senate side. And you mentioned Tom Tillis who's running for reelection in North Carolina, Joony Ertz running for re election in Iowa, just to name a few.
Speaker 3: And so those seats.
Speaker 7: Particularly North Carolina, could be heavily contested. You know, let's say the former governor where Cooper wants to run. That's gonna be a problem for Tom Tillis. So they've got to show some returns. What is the endgame on the tariff fights? What does he expect to accomplish? The President Trump, As you say in your prior conversations, you're not bringing textile manufacturing back to North Carolina. You have had a resurgence on a micro level of some companies making things in North Carolina.
Speaker 6: That's ouriasonal stuff. I think people would say.
Speaker 7: Truly, well, you know no, I mean my understanding. I think there's a couple of companies that's taking over factories and done pretty well. But you know what is Tom Till's gonna say uh to North Carolina when things really become more expensive or inflation goes up and the Tower sort to blame unless Trump pulls the plug on the tariffs before those contemplationary pressures can really exert their will.
Speaker 3: Wendy, what do you think is the endgame? I mean President Trump has talked about terriffs for a long, long, long, long time, right. This has been part of his playbook, and he didn't get to do as much as I think it's safe to say that he hoped to do, maybe the first time around, doing something a lot more aggressively this time around. He likes tariffs, he said that, But I do wonder too. I agree with you, what is the endgame? Is it to get Europe? To spend more on defense. Is it energy policy? Is it access for us to critical minerals?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 3: What is it? Do we really understand what.
Speaker 4: The endgame is with all of this yet?
Speaker 7: It's just unclear from the current public conversations that are leaking or being leaked on social media or even just playing out on social media what the team of advisors agrees on the endgame.
Speaker 3: Whether Trump is willing to even.
Speaker 7: Think about an endgame. But what he'd like to do is probably go to a plant that was abandoned or shut down temporarily a couple of years ago and see it reopened. I mean, the only way you're going to convince the American people that paying more for all these goods or small businesses that might have to lay off people, is that you have succeeded in creating jobs or bringing real jobs back. And that isn't happening quite yet. And that was the problem in the first administration. Very hard to do. He could not even prevent plants from closing down and going to Mexico.
Speaker 3: Is there that know?
Speaker 7: NATO defense spending will make some people happy, but the average American I don't think it is going to care very much about that.
Speaker 3: To be fair. Is there's something though in the President's fight, right, We've talked with you about the gaps right within our society, that there's a bunch of people who feel like nobody is representing them. They can't get ahead, they can't buy a house, they can't get a good job. I was reading, I think this morning about people who are making forty to fifty thousand dollars here in New York, and yet they go home to shelters because they can't afford to live in an apartment. So there's something wrong, some disconnects. So is there something to what the president is doing, whether it's with China in terms of leveling the playing feel about access to markets?
Speaker 7: Well, access to markets is fun by the United States. You have a combination of a lot of regulation which makes making things more expensive. You have, you know, some we have weaker private sector unions than most of Europe does. For sure, we have some pretty strong public sector unions. So you'd have to sort of weaken the private sector unions, right, I mean, you'd have to do something like that to make it less expensive. He's going to eliminate a lot of regulation, which will make everybody happier. And that will mean slightly less environmental protection. There are trade offs for everything we're doing, but it is more expensive to manufacture goods here, I think for lots of reasons some people might like and dislike. So you have to dismantle that system. But if you're also dismantling healthcare and education, we're not going to stay competitive with the countries that are investing in those areas. So, you know, the Traudminstration has to have a holistic approach to this, and right now, I'm not sure we're seeing the things coming together working in the same direction as much as we might like.
Speaker 6: When it comes to a goociations directly with China and near view Wendy, how much leverage does the US have, Well.
Speaker 7: You know, we have an awful lot of manufacturing in China. The farmers themselves, you know, they export lots to China. We are very dependent on China. There's also intellectual property. We haven't even heard about that from Donald Trump, you know, intellectual property theft, that was the big theme in his first administration.
Speaker 3: What's he going to do about that?
Speaker 7: You know, I think it's a very difficult relationship to extricate from. But if Trump can get some manufacturing back, or at least, you know, make corporations reopen or build plants here, do something like that. Then it shows the Republican Party that this is a policy that could benefit them politically, which moves them closer to Trump, not further away, but that's a couple of years away. And the House elections in twenty six just seemed closer and closer every single day.
Speaker 4: How do you think about this era?
Speaker 3: It's still being written as we speak. We just got about thirty seconds. How are you you're teaching your like, how are you thinking about this?
Speaker 7: Just quickly, forget everything that I've been teaching for very long time. Forget everything you've thought about strategy and motivation on the president by the president and his team. This is a new day, a new a new way of doing things. He's disrupting and we're all going to have to be very flexible and be able to pivot. But also, you know, local politics, you know that's the thing. When does the House report? Can party break from President Trump?
Speaker 1: If ever, you're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast, catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five these during listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 6: Hey, it is time for another edition of Bloomberg Plugged In. It's your weekly look at evs, and we are watching the auto sector closely. Giving that a twenty five percent tariff on US auto imports took effect last Thursday. Well, levy on parts is slated to begin no later than May third. The measures are expected to dramatically increase costs and up end supply chain. So let's talk to one of those suppliers who smack dab in the middle of all of this. Magna International is a Canadian a based autoparts and auto tech company. They create components so think car electronics, drive trains, vision systems, powertrain systems and more for some of the biggest car companies in the world GM for It's Delantes and more. The company is more than one hundred and seventy thousand employees across twenty eight countries, and by sales, it's the biggest automotive supplier in North America. I've got a market cap of close to nine billion dollars, though its stock is down about twenty five percent so far this year. Swami Kodaghary is a CEO of Magna International. He joins us this afternoon from Troy, Michigan. Swami, thanks for joining us. I know you have been extremely busy, so we certainly appreciate it. How are you and the auto manufacturers that you work with managing these tariff costs?
Speaker 7: Hi?
Speaker 8: Tim, good afternon Thanks for having me. And you know we are right really focused on control the controllable, and things seem to be changing on everyday basis. Open the playbooks that we've had during the rotating UW strikes or COVID or two thousand and eight financial crisis, or the chip crisis, and you put them all together. I think that's what we seem to be having right now.
Speaker 6: What a way to put that. So, the financial crisis saw car many some car companies declare bankruptcy.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, you're saying it's as bad as that, and then some.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think I think the important part Carol here is look. Part of it is looking at tariffs of importing vehicles cross border. Okay, the OEMs are the importer of the record. We as suppliers, you know, have to still look at any inter company perts going across the border, and you have to look at the tier end supply chain. But all in all, even if we look at what we can do internally, all of this is going to lead, I believe, to demand destruction, at least in the short term, which is why I compared it, you know, to what happened during the two thousand and eight and two thousand and nine where the volumes went down drastically, right, And that is the reason for my comparison to that.
Speaker 3: As Tim mentioned in the introduction, you know your top customers, GM, Mercedes, Ford, BMWVW, Stilantis, Nissan. Are you already seeing tell me like kind of what the environment was going into the tariffs and then how it's changed in terms of demand from your customers now that the tariffs are here.
Speaker 8: Okayl One of the important things in the automotive industry, certainty is stability, and what we have today is the complete uncertainty.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 8: It's difficult to plan in an industry such as ours, you know, on an everyday basis, right, and that's what we're trying to deal with today. You might have seen some of the announcements that have come starting April fourteenth, some of them starting you know, last Monday, already BMW five the Spartanburg facility, or General Motors from Fort Wayne Instilantis in Telukah, war on truck windsor you know, halted productions or changing production schedules and so on and so forth. So that's the fact we are starting to see. And obviously, you know, it's an industry that you can't flip the switch to change things overnight. If there is a policy roadmap towards whatever the outcome might be, I think that's addressable. But today the struggle seems to be addressing what's coming at us on a daily or hourly basis.
Speaker 6: So who absorbs the cost here? What's you know, what? What do your shareholders need to know about? Where customers will see price increases? Where you will see a head to margins, Where you're where the end end user? Right, us people who go and buy these cars will see price increases. Where do the where do the chips fall?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's kind of all of the about him, right because you know, from a apply base as well as the automotive OEM's perspective, everybody look at whatever that can be done. I think that is given. But given the industry and the type of margins that are there, that's out there. You know, everybody knows that nobody can handle that, you know, magnitude of the impact that we're talking about here. So I believe it has to some way, shape or form pass on to the consumer. And if you look at where the car prices are today in the market, they're already you know, stretched quite a bit, right. So that's why I talk about demand instruction and the consumers ultimately facing, if not all of it, a significant part of the impact of the tariffs.
Speaker 6: You know, you said, it's like the playbooks from the financial crisis, COVID, the UAW strikes all combined. But I'm wondering if as a result of this, you are making any big chaeges to how you do business where these parts are manufactured. Do you plan as a result of these tariffs to do more in the United States?
Speaker 8: It's too soon to say that, right, Like I said, we are investing or not we as an industry, if you're doing investments today, it is typically for starting production in twenty seven or twenty eight, So we're talking at least two years out right. So when we start talking about what needs to be done, should we react to what's happening today and where the policy ends up is going to be ultimately what everybody's looking at. So from a near term perspective, cash conservation and hesitancy or tentativeness to say where will it end up. So if there is a dollar that I can push out from a perspective of investing today versus a month or two months from now, I'll pick the later, right because I want to have certainty in where we are ultimately going to invest in get the returns.
Speaker 3: So no, I'm sorry, please finish.
Speaker 8: No, no, no problem. I think going back, everybody is now focused on free cash flow, conversion, capital efficiency, so there's a little bit of a wait and see approach. And you know, in the industry that depends on two or three year cycles, that's you know, difficult.
Speaker 3: So the thing I wanted to ask you, and I keep going back to this interview that Shineli Basika Bloomberg did with Boaz Weinstein, and he said, you know, even if we get it changed and perhaps the White House, the President comes out and says forget it, delay of ninety days or you know what, let's call it off. The problem is that the president's going to be in the White House for the next four years, and that what he said is the uncertainty genie is out of the bottle. I can kind of get away from this. That would you feel if the President came out and said, oh, change my mind, would you feel confident in to move forward or would you feel like you were constantly a little bit off balance, not sure if something might change from the White House.
Speaker 8: I think the industry as a whole is going to be a little bit more conservative, and think twice, we've always believed, you know, you have to produce locally, whether it's a local for local, and we've always looked at the entire North American market as one market. So that is being questioned right now. So we have to work very closely with the OEMs, not just as saying I think the whole ecosystem has to be pretty much aligned. As you think of investments going forward, which segment is going to be consumed, Where where do you put the footprint? So in short, Carol, I think there is going to be a little bit more thought before new investment goes into address, you know, especially where parts or vehicles are going crossboarder.
Speaker 3: Right, So then when we think about the US economy or global economy, there are investments that will not have and there will be as we talked, was it a little bit of a demand destruction, Like there'll be some destruction that economic impact we don't get back right because of that conservative mode.
Speaker 8: I think it's fair to say there's going to be tentativeness in the investment cycle now until people get a little bit more clarity. That's one thing, and the second thing is short term. I think there is going to be you know, reduction in volumes.
Speaker 6: I mentioned you have one hundred and seventy thousand employees in countries throughout the world, stock down about twenty five percent so far this year. You're going to take a hit ostensibly as a result of these Are you going to have to start making decisions about who keeps their job and who doesn't keep their job.
Speaker 8: And tim Yes, that's the reason why I compared it to what happened during the COVID or the UW rotating strikes. Right, you have to constantly re act to how the OEMs are planning their production schedules, whether it's lines coming down, complete factories, assemblies that are stopping, which means we have to react accordingly. So obviously there's going to be that impact, but we have to as one of our guiding principles is a long term strategy to look at our business as a long term owner. So whatever decision we make, we have to look in terms of today, but making sure that it doesn't hurt us in the long term. So that's a little bit more challenging today than it was a few months ago.
Speaker 3: One of the things I want to ask, are you afraid and do you feel like the c suites afraid to really speak out against the Trump and mysters? You're actually being pretty frank here. CEOs and some surveys are calling this the Trump recession. CNBC did a CEO survey, yet it seems like most don't want their names attached to the criticism of the administration. Is the corporate community afraid to speak out.
Speaker 8: From our side? Look, I think Tim mentioned in the introduction we are in twenty eight different countries over the last year and a half. Nineteen of the countries that we are present in had elections, right, so policy is something we deal with all the time. This is obviously a little bit more disruptive than what we have seen elsewhere or seen in my career here, But we have to look at the industry long term. Right, Our design cycles four to five years, and maybe with the changing industry it's dropped down to two or three years. But you got to take a long term approach. So yes, it's disruptive today, but we have dealt with this in the past and we just you know, have to keep our head down and hope we look at a policy roadmap rather than react to something that's happening today.
Speaker 3: One of the things I do want to ask then and kind of on that, in terms of long term strategy, what does the auto supply chain look like if the Trump tariffs are here to stay? Long does it take to realign a point that will mitigate tariff costs?
Speaker 8: I don't know. It's mitigation that is definitely going to lead to rationalization of the footprint, right, we have to start looking at balancing capacity. You know, luckily we have footprint in Mexico, US and Canada. So again, like I said, it's not going to happen over time. Depending on complexity of the part in the system, it could be anywhere from months to years. There are some complex systems where just to give you an idea, of Some of our plants are a million square feit facilities, right with about three four hundred million in invested capital. So those kind of plants are not easy to transfer overnight. Those will take years. And it's not just a unilateral decision either, right, this has to be done in conjunction with the product cycle planning of the OEM. Where is the assembly plant and how be going to work with them? So there's a lot of complexity the involved here. Some of the more complex footprint rationalization might take years to crystallize.
Speaker 6: You know, as we're talking, we're seeing stocks continue to fall. How do you watch not your company's stock specifically, but the broader sell off in the context of consumer demand, the wealth effect, and just concerns to growth.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's like I said, that's the demand destruction part, right. What happens to the industry, interest rates, what happens to the oril economy, the buying power of the consumer, especially with a lot of fear that might come based on what's happening around you, which all means people's ability to buy cars and at what price point. If that's impacted, the whole industry is impacted, and that is the big concern that we all have.
Speaker 6: Right Well, you know, we talked a little bit about whether you'd move facilities. You said it's too early to say. We are already starting to see automakers reshoring assembly plants or make announcements. Hyundai was one of the ones we saw from the White House just in the last month. If we see more automakers reshore assembly in the US, will you need to move facilities back to the US as well.
Speaker 8: We have a footprint in the US. But to your point, Tim, yes, I think look as a supply base, we look at the material availability of the entire supply chain where it's coming from. We have to look at the logistics. We have to be as closed, you know, as possible to the assembly based on the type of the part and the complexity of the part. So considering all of that stuff, if there is a significant reshoring, yeah, we have to look at, you know, rationalizing the footprint differently.
Speaker 3: Hey, s I mean just to kind of wrap up here. You know, you kicked off and both Tim and and I were like, a wait, what moment when you said that you're thinking about this environment akin to I think you said the GFC, COVID and union strikes all together, that's today's environment. So is a recession here in the United States given is maybe perhaps a global recession. Given a given I should say.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you know again, hopefully you know everybody comes to the table and has the discussion to avoid that. But all indications seem to be, you know, heading in that direction that the economy is taking a hit. But like I said, this is happening so fast and so quick. Part of it is you know who comes to the table at what time, and you know how much can you recover and how fast can you recover? But that's definitely on the cards based on the facts today.
Speaker 3: Well, we really appreciate your honesty and giving us an assessment of your world that really plays into all of the major auto manufacturers. Swami, thank you so much. Swammi Kutigeary. He's chief executive officer of Magna International. Joining us right here on Bloomberg Businesswekdaily.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, The iHeartRadio app tune in, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal