Speaker 1: It's I Do Part two and I'm one of your hosts. It's Jana Kramer. And most of the time I'm on this podcast, I'm talking with celebrities or people that want to share their divorce stories. But I'm kind of excited because today my guest is none other than my husband, Alan Russell. Welcome to the podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: So today we're going to dive into some questions maybe we haven't answered before, give our listeners a little more insight to who we are as a couple. You know, we share on my you know, wind down and adult education podcast that we do some things about our relationship, and I feel like we've opened up about, you know, certain things, whether it's parenting or our marriage.
Speaker 3: But we're going to get a little deeper so to give.
Speaker 1: People a little backstory that don't really know our relationship. Alan is from Alabama. He's got a beautiful Southern accent, right then, I do, yeah, yeah, he's he's from Glasgow, Scotland. And we have been together all right, beib how many years have we been together for? How many long, long, long years?
Speaker 2: Nearly three, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we've been almost together for three We've been married for almost a year or year anniversaries coming up on July thirteenth, and we have a nineteen month old baby.
Speaker 4: This is technically our fourth years together because we met in twenty two three ago, twenty four together and there's twenty five, so we're in our fourth, fourth year of knowing each other.
Speaker 3: Can you do it like that?
Speaker 2: You can do it how you funny?
Speaker 3: How you make the numbers work for you, you.
Speaker 1: Know, one way if you want it to work the other way. You minus like, oh, we were just you know, a few short months manpulation.
Speaker 3: So when I was.
Speaker 1: Single, this basically how we met, because that's one of the things that people ask us all the time. So when I was when I was single, obviously I got a d M from Alan. He slid into my DMS very respectfully.
Speaker 2: It's just you always use the world slid.
Speaker 3: Well, what would you like to call it? Jump? You jumped in you.
Speaker 4: SLID's such like a creepy, horrible way of describe as I've mentioned manythings.
Speaker 3: Okay, how would you like to describe it?
Speaker 2: Then? Respectfully and politely.
Speaker 1: And entered that sounds that sounds I entered the premises.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I d M you Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And so so that was so that was that. A few thoughts starters though on this just in general about when we started dating. You know, because I have been married, so obviously you googled me. I mean you had to, that's it.
Speaker 4: I would not, but not like, not like any sort of I knew you were. I knew you were an actress in a single, but that was kind of that was kind of really I kind of left it that you knew I was a mom. You knew more than that, I know, mom. Yeah, I didn't. In no way did I had a deep dive into your career, your your writing career, your singing career, your past.
Speaker 2: Nothing like that.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I have a hard time believing that because just I mean, you flew from another country to meet me, and that was that's the little research you did.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying I did little research, but I didn't do a deep dive into because people's people's past as the past, isn't it.
Speaker 1: But I think your past tells a lot though about who that person is.
Speaker 2: It does it?
Speaker 4: Does it tells you the experiences they've had? Mm hmm, it doesn't. And I always said this to you from the very beginning. It tells me what your past was, but do does not define what your future is. And I've always said that to you, right. But I didn't have to do a deep dive because I knew that you're respected in your industry. You were clearly a really great mum. So it's not like there was I wasn't out there digging and searching for all things.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to get to know you.
Speaker 1: I think girls definitely do a more of a deep dive, although it was a little harder to deep dive yours because you had a private Instagram. Things were a little bit more tight liped on your side. Yeah, I knew you kicked the ball around because you were a professional athlete, professional soccer player, sorry, football player, and then you were coaching when I met you. Yeah, so when you found out because I mean obviously when then you did on your search. I mean it's right there on the Google page. How many times I've been married, like you have to have been? Like, uh, I would? I mean I judged my past all the time. No I used to, I don't anymore, but I mean on paper, it looks being terrible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm also it looks terrible but you can tell the you made chessy decisions when it wasn't because like I think like one of your monitors was like a week or somebody even though, yeah, so you can see that, Okay, it might like married four times, but when you actually look at it, it's like, Okay.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: One of them was probably a real long term profile marriage and the rest of them were maybe just decisions that weren't wise when you were when you were younger, which everyone does.
Speaker 3: M So it wasn't a turn off, No.
Speaker 4: Not so all I've ever made you feel like it, like it was a ton of things.
Speaker 2: I told you I would never judge you on your past.
Speaker 3: No, and I love that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think one of the reasons why I it was hard and it was hard for me to date post because I'll never forget a date that I was on when someone brought that up and said, my sister doesn't want me to date you because of how many times you've been married, and so immediately it was like, oh, there's a shame around that, like it's you know, this is bad, and no one will then will want to date me, And so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think i've And again it goes back to things that I've always said to you, right, And I've always wanted you feel like I would never shame you because you because it's shameful things that I've done in my past. And then maybe not it's public because as things has maybe happened to you. But I would never want to be judged or shamed or that to be called out just because I've made prap decisions in my past. Everyone makes them. You've made pretty poor ones with your marriage either, but I've made pretty poor ones when in certain phases of my life through anger or or too much to drink or whatever whatever it may be, that that's at that stage. And I would never want you to feel shamed, and I would never judge you, which is why I've never done that. I don't think I've ever once brought up the fact that you are married four times, even in an argument or.
Speaker 1: No, well, because it's so to me. I mean it's kind of I don't say, irrelevant, but it's been dealt with, right, Yeah, were you nervous about dating a woman with baggage?
Speaker 4: The fine baggage like everyone befoty years old, bit everyone's got baggage.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would say with you know, you're right, like what I feel like once you once, if you're dating in your mid thirties, someone's either most likely been married or kids, got kids, or has been through something in their life that has shaped them, has.
Speaker 2: Abused, has been abused, has.
Speaker 1: Those Yeah, and so I actually don't like the word baggage.
Speaker 4: No poof if you know it sounds like a damaged well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's where I don't like it. It's like we've all been through things and it's kind of it's very it's a very shaming word to put on someone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, what's your baggage? You have kids, baggage, that's life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's actually beautiful. You're a mom and you're a father.
Speaker 4: Previous is you have previous marriages like either therefore you learn from them and you become better. I think baggage just another world for You've you've lived life a little bit and you've experienced life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think baggage is such just sounds so negative.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I'll get a question for you. With me being a professional athlete and then being a professional coach and being involved in the professional sport world, that gets that gets a certain reputation like I remember dating some people and they're like, well, my friends have told me not today because you've been a professional football and you're a professional coach. Because so there's a stigma attacks to professional athletes, some justified and some not. Yeah, was that the reason?
Speaker 3: I don't think you're gonna like my answer. You're actually gonna hate my answer.
Speaker 2: Either raise the flag or it doesn't.
Speaker 1: Well, but the answer is is the I've never dated a soccer player as an athlete.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've dated all the other ones, but every day you so I didn't know about the soccer wor like I know, like he's.
Speaker 4: A professional athlete. They have, they have reputations, right.
Speaker 1: And you know some are some they say are worse than others.
Speaker 3: Like, but I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think it comes down to the sports that they play, even though some people will say otherwise, It all comes down back to the person. But yeah, of course, I mean there's the stigma for a reason. There's there's the stats for a reason. Looked at the starts, Well that's just there, like professional athletes cheating, Like there's you know, what's the stat and that it's a lot higher than someone that's a teacher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, So yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: You weren't.
Speaker 1: I think what was helpful is that you weren't an active player at the time. I think if you were a player still, it would have maybe swayed my flag to being more cautious. I think since you're out of that world, in that arena, then it didn't make me feel as nervous about it. But you know the coaching aspect, there are you know, players in that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 1: So again I think it just goes back to and you could say the same thing about actresses, right, you know, with being with people and actresses and dating co stars. I mean it's that's possibly a flag somewhere thrown around in there too, But I think it just goes back to the person. I think there are some incredible, I know, some very incredible athletes that you know, are married, that are good men, that are you know, good Christian men, that are family men. So it's like it's not fair to put that stigma on every athlete that they're going to cheat for I agree, So no, I don't think I think it helped that you weren't playing though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay when we first met, yep, were you thinking marriage or was it or was it that?
Speaker 2: Even?
Speaker 1: I mean for for me, I I'm not. I've never been one to like to date to just date. So it's like, all right, if I want to date it and then see if there's am I gonna What is the point of of just dating to date? I mean, actually see the point? And I did for a minute there, just to see what I wanted, because I was like, I don't even know what I like because I'm always constantly asking other people do you think they're cool? Do you think they're cute? Do you think they're this? And I'm like I never and then I would maybe start stay dating with the person because I'm like, oh, well, they think he's cute or they think he's X, Y and Z. Like I never went with my own opinion or gut with things. So with us at that stage in my life, especially having you know, the two kids and stuff, I was always like, yeah, I want you know, I wanted to get married again. I know it sounds crazy, but I am the like hopeless romantic with I got it wrong one two couple times, and I still believe that my the right one was out there. And I know you were too, because when we had our first few dates, which, by the way, this could this could look a little love bomby, but it wasn't because I think we're on the same page. But like you sent me when you were flying back to England, you sent a picture of a ring. But like anybody else, I'd be like, oh girl, they are love bombing you run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was like we just knew, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: But yeah, anybody else i'd be like, that is a massive red flag.
Speaker 3: And that when it was evident to me, I.
Speaker 2: Think, and I think that's one of the things.
Speaker 4: Have been married before and being through the dacing side of it and being through these experiences. Now we're in my foot as you know you don't want and you know what you want. Yeah, so therefore your decision making becomes a lot clearer, a lot easier. I say, it's always right, but you know what you want. And then that comes along then like I knew straight away that we'd get married.
Speaker 3: When we had sex, Who did you tell?
Speaker 2: Hm?
Speaker 3: Who did you.
Speaker 2: Call my brother?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Well I didn't call him and say, oh, we had sex. We spoke the next day and he asked about what had been how things had been gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So what you mean then what you said?
Speaker 2: What if city on my I phone phoned my mom, I phone my dad?
Speaker 1: Well that's even grosser. But I'm just like, like, not a friend. You didn't phone a friend?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, usable like my best friend.
Speaker 3: That's true. Did you tell me? How down? Alan?
Speaker 4: It's not like like my brother is like I speak to him mostly like he's my uh huh okay?
Speaker 3: And but who did you tell my best friends? Almost the difference, it's just way different?
Speaker 2: Is your best friends friends?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Queendom. What did you say though with your brother? Because it was cute? I mean I know what you said, but you know what I said?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What did I say?
Speaker 3: You say like I'm screwed or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Basically for people who are dating long distance in their chapter two or three like we did, how do you suggest people keep it spicy when they're far apart?
Speaker 2: We spens for that long.
Speaker 1: October November December January February, five months long distance.
Speaker 3: But we weren't like that. We've seen each other sexy kind of person.
Speaker 2: No, it's quite cheap, but I mean there's times we've done it. Have we that sex? No? I think the forre sex.
Speaker 3: I don't have we were done.
Speaker 2: That things will have been kind of played with that a little bit.
Speaker 3: But like no situation.
Speaker 2: Right, but with never no.
Speaker 1: I think the spiciest thing is just communicating how old do I sound? But like sending cute picks and a little flirty picks. I think that keeps it spicy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think it's also good to be honest and how much that you mess someone like yeah, like I was craving you when you were in there, I was, I really missed you, so it was important that I told you that.
Speaker 1: What did family members anything they say after we met them for the first time.
Speaker 4: My mom loved you, my dad loved you, my brother loved you, my son loved you.
Speaker 2: So that was there was zero negativity.
Speaker 3: My family just couldn't understand you. But I loved you when you and I met.
Speaker 1: I already had a podcast where I talk about, you know, my relationship history. Part of you know, being in my life is also about sharing that aspect and being open. You know, what did you think about that early on? And then do you think about that today?
Speaker 2: Very good question.
Speaker 4: It wasn't something that I'm used to, like being a professional coach, I'm used to keeping things as private as possible because it normally will come back and bite you in the ass in the professional world. So I remember the first time we went on the I went on the podcast and the producer I think kind of prodide a little bit, remember, and I didn't like it.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, I found that it was way out.
Speaker 4: Of my my remit and what I normally.
Speaker 2: Do on a daily basis of how I apply myself. So I found it. I found it quite tough.
Speaker 4: But I've grown I know there's listen, there's a business aspect, there's there's so many different aspects to it that it has a lot of intelligence, and there's a lot of reasons why it's good to be less private on things. So I think I've grown to I've grown to almost normalize it over the last two and a half years, three years and see the benefits. It will not always be beneficial. It will have its downfalls, it's at some points, But early on it was it was tough because I'm like, like you would ask things, I'm like, I don't want to talk about that. I don't feel that's right speak about that. That doesn't sit well with me, or and you could probably see it in my face whereas I'm probably still a little bit like that because my default was always to go private. But I think I've become better at opening up and seeing because a lot of the stuff that you do that is private stuff helps people. I'm not saying anything that comes out of my mouth is going to help anyone on that level, but yeah, I've got better at recognizing that those benefits to sharing your experiences and not keeping them locked up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there was a part in our relationship early on where I would post something or say something and you'd be like, why did you say that? Yeah, And it wouldn't have even been about us. It was like my my past or my past relationships, Like why did you say that?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 1: I was like, because it's this is my life, Like I I want to help other people. I want to share these things in hopes and efforts to help other people if they're going through a parenting or cheating or trauma or DV or any any of those aspects. And I think that was and I was like, please, like, don't make me feel like what I'm sharing is or that I that I need to like stop that, because I was like that that was the piece for me. I was like, this is this is my life too, and this is how I've chosen to live it. I think I went through this to them be able to share it and help people, right, And I think you've definitely gotten better with You've never you haven't said that to me in a long time about anything that I'm most say yeah, yeah, And then I know our boundaries of what we share, like on our adult education podcast, and you know all that, so I know, and it's it's important not to and it's important to respect your boundaries around it too and meet in the middle and be like, all right, I got to Instagram. This is a part of this world that I've created that I you know, I do enjoy showing my family in you and I mean people were obsessed with the stuff with you and Jolie the other day and seeing y'all's relationship, and you know, I think that's important to weave in. Like who wants to watch someone's page that's just ad ad ad ad ad. It's like no one would come to the page. It's like you have to you have to bring people in share life with them to then you know, you can't just be selling stuff.
Speaker 3: Twenty four to.
Speaker 2: Seven Absolutely not, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm glad you came full circle on that one. Wait, I have so many questions that we still need to to get through, and then I kind of want to know. So how about we take a break and then come back for another episode.
Speaker 3: Sweet