Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's just you.
Speaker 1: Gilmore Girls Gazette with Amy Sugarman and Danielle Romo an iHeartRadio podcast. All right, everybody, this is Gilmore Girls Gazette. Bun Head's edition with Amy and Janielle.
Speaker 2: Gives such a pleasing voice. It's so different than my like terrible voice. I also have this cold. I don't know. I think it's a cold. I don't think it was anything else, but it I sound crazy. It's I'm just coughing. I'm sorry for anyone else. It's experiencing whatever's going around. It's super bad.
Speaker 1: Well you sound you sound good.
Speaker 2: And you look sounds so thank you.
Speaker 1: Dan with your Halloween sweater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm wearing a Jack o' lantern sweatshirt and my pants. Fucking cue oh loowen. Okay, So this is our I don't know if we'll call it a rewatch review recap of bun Heads, but this is really where we're at on it. We're watching bun Heads in the Gilmore Girls like like what we care about with yes lens. Oh my gosh, Danielle, that is such a perfect word. Thank you. We're gonna analyze it in Gilmore Girls like people from Gilmar Girls. Does it feel gilmart Girls? Do we like it? Like, we're not We're not necessarily gonna go scene by scene, like we'll call out things. If you really want scene by scene, you can you know what do the kids do? Message us? But I don't think dam just want it. Yeah, but here's what I'll say. This show premiered in twenty twelve. I remember when Bunheads premiered. I think it was ABC Family, and I remember like jonesing for it because I was missing Gilmore Girls so much, so I was super stoked to watch something Gilmore Girls y. Yeah. So Gilmore Girls edited in two thousand and seven, so this is eight nine, ten, eleven, twelve, five years later, and I was like, and I don't remember anything in between that was Gilmore girlsy. So I was super stoked. And what I'll say is like, it doesn't disappoint in the sense that it does feel Gilmore Girlsy. Did did you feel that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? It kind of stressed me out. I'm not gonna lie because really, yeah, I got stressed because I have the Gilmore Girl's characters, but they're outside of Kelly Bishop, Emily Slash Fanny. Yeah, that kind of had a silver thread, like they were very similar characters, but like Rose, Rose was jarring. I was like, I almost see you want Gypsy, I.
Speaker 2: Get it, okay, snooty.
Speaker 1: Woman of the town. You know, like it just stressed me out. But I will say it was entertaining. It was entertaining. And the one thing I will say that also kind of jarred me was having Emily there and she you know, she's doing.
Speaker 2: What's She's not Emily.
Speaker 1: I know she's not Emily, and that's not lore Li. So that was like kind of hard for me to adjust to. I also think I'm doing this so quickly.
Speaker 2: After seeing Yeah, I was gonna say, my girls.
Speaker 1: That like maybe five years with the buffer in between would have maybe been as barring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was years. I mean it was five years, and I wasn't like I wanted something gil Mar Girl's esque, and I definitely get that in this show. I mean right from the start, they're talking a mile a minute, Like immediately you're like, yeah, here we go, and I think, does it start with them on the Vegas stage?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it starts with her, like with Michelle, who is Sutton performing in Vegas?
Speaker 2: And immediately they're kind of talking and you're like, this is this feels Gilmore girly, So we're gonna talk about in broad strokes. I remember watching it and immediately liking it, Like I was like, this is this is good. It's not Gilmore Girls, but there's something I'm really drawn to here. It's a little over the top, do you know what I mean? Like it's a little like there's moments and Gilmore Girls that are over the top, but this I think maybe has a bit more of that. I don't I don't know, like something is not Gilmore Girls, ye, but yet I still enjoy it. I love the girls. The young girls feel very cool to me.
Speaker 1: They're not over the top, very chilt in just in Ballet'school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was very drawn to the girls, right. I was like, yeah, I'm into this. You know. I was doing that guy a lot because Hubble for me, what did you think of when you first see Hubble?
Speaker 1: The whole Hubble storyline was weird. I'm like, so this girl does not love this guy, but it's tired of her life and the guy's just like, I'm gonna propose to you, and I want you to marry me because I know I love you and I know I am good for you, and I know one day you will love me too. So come away with me to my home that I live with with my mother and who is obsessed with creepy clown crap. And here we go, let's get married and then let's have sex during the party.
Speaker 2: That makes the show not sound quite as good as I liked it. So I see Hubble and what I see is Cameron fry from Ferris Bueller. Immediately I'm like, that's Cameron Frye. And then I was like, that's the dude on the bus in Speed. So in Speed there's a scene and it's obvious. And when I saw Speed, I was like, that's Cameron Frye. So and now people that watch it are like, that's the dude from Succession. But twenty twelve, do you say twenty twelve or twenty twelve? Twenty twenty twelve, Yeah, twenty twelve. Great movie, by the way, junk Y Seck shut out, Okay. So uh, I was like, that's a dude from the bus on Speed where he's like I've already been to the airport. If you haven't seen Speed, you gotta watch it because Alan Rock. So that was what was going through my mind. Now, I will say as weird in quotes as Hubble is. Somehow throughout the forty four minutes of this show, I became so invested in Hubble that I shed real tears at the end of the episode. Back then and now, so this is only my second time watching Bunheads. I watched it on TV and now I'm watching it again, and I knew what happened, and I fully cried. Were you like, look, we're not going to see my scene? So were you shocked at the end?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was kind of like because there's that lady. Oh and yeah, what was her character name?
Speaker 2: Truly and she's from Gilmore Girls too, she was in the movies or whatever. I think she was in the movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, Oh, here comes the crazy girl is just gonna be crying over the fact that, you know, Sun Foster's marrying her old flame. And then she said that he seemingly died in a car crash, and I was just like, what.
Speaker 2: What's interesting? Is like I get it because now, like as Scott would say, we're off to the races, right, like now we have a show, right because what happens now? I still think we would have had a show with Hubble alive.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I wanted him. Can I have one more episode with him? Just one more at least?
Speaker 2: Like it was, so did I need all the sadness? But yeah, I don't know. So it's kind of like one of Amy's Amy Sherman Paladina's like like a magical things? Is you really get the show from the pilot, right, It's like, we know, here's Emily who Now we're gonna call Fanny Kelly Bishop and that she was her son.
Speaker 1: Currently miss Patty. In my head, I was like, yes, very miss Patty, very miss Patty with an elly twist.
Speaker 2: And I think Kelly Bishop has a dance background too, so obviously.
Speaker 1: You can tell she. I was like, she was doing those moves beautifully.
Speaker 2: She's legit, so you get that. There's obviously the super close relationship with her and her son. They lived together in this sort of quirky town of Paradise, which I think was filmed in her Massa Beach, but it's not a quirky. Yeah. I would have preferred a town like Stars Hollow where it was on a set. It seemed to her Massa beachie for me. I'm like, this isn't a quirky little town but anyway with no movie theaters, so we get that. We really start to learn about the young girls, right that that Sasha's the best dancer but kind of the edgy one. And then Boo, we like get really used Boo. And we meet all the girls and we start to kind of be invested in them, and then we kind of meet the wacky town people like Trulee and he Rose's character which was weird two worked at the shop with truly, but whatever, We're starting to get everybody in the pilot. It's like we've met everybody. We get it. This is kind of gil Mury, and now we've got this sort of messy situation of what's gonna happen. Right, little shout out to Glee piano player who also was in Gilmore Girls, Brad Ellis. I was immediately like, oh my god, and did you see Gary Jeannette.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Gary was brilliant. We love Gary. So Gary Jeannetti is married to Brad Greski, who is one of our besties. We love Brad.
Speaker 2: I love Brad, and I had no idea that Brad. I just thought Brad's married to this great guy. Right, Little did I know that Gary Jeannette is like brilliant writer.
Speaker 1: Curious, like family, family, no idea.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was Brad's husband. I'm like, I remember texting Brad one day being like, h your husband's like brilliant and He's like, you didn't know, and I'm like, there's no idea. I had, like a super cute guy and I'm Gary. I'm like, I don't know anyway, So overall, what is your like vibe? Do you like it? Do you not like it?
Speaker 1: When I was watching it, you know what I said to myself that and I wrote it down so that I can repeat it, I was like, this feels very trying to blend the world of Sex in the City and Gilmore girls. You don't feel that way.
Speaker 2: I don't get any Sex in the City from it. I love Sex in the City. Well, okay, I'm not getting that.
Speaker 1: I've seen a few episodes of Sex and the City. But what I mean by that is Sutton Foster was very much like, oh, you got a date, you gotta do this. I'm gonna drink and you know, I whatever. I'm trying to be a career woman, but do I the guy who you know, I don't know. It felt like very like trying to like pool from these.
Speaker 2: Like you're really saying, I don't know. When you watch More in the City, that has a totally different tone to me. This does have a Gilmore tone, and it also has a mazal tone like if you haven't seen it, and obviously that came later, but there's like, you feel this is familiar right the way this show is, and it's over the top. It's like, what did you think of the dance scene in the bar when Kelly Bishop and Sutton Foster are like dancing and then they're like grab the guy and then she's like, uh, you at the bar and then suddenly it's like, oh my god, they're doing twists and kicks, and it's just.
Speaker 1: I didn't mind it because I felt like that's how the show started. It's not like it was this random scene in the middle of the episode. It felt very like performative throughout.
Speaker 2: So what did you think of Hubble and Michelle? Right, she's obviously blows him off, he comes to see her all the time, he brings her gifts. It's not creepy though, but with a hint of creepy.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, it's like you don't you can tell he like genuinely likes the girl. But it's weird because from what you from what we've gathered, she hasn't spent much time with him, so how can he love her so much outside of what he sees on stage? Right, So like that's just kind of a little bit weird.
Speaker 2: I think they do spend time, like I think he's been coming for a while, but then they go to that sweet dinner and she's all drunk, right because she's com bummed about her audition, I mean her audition for was it Chicago?
Speaker 1: What was she audition in Chicago?
Speaker 2: So she's all drunk, but you realize, like he's not creepy, Like that's when you start to realize like, yeah, he's not. Oh my god, this guy's awesome, and you kind of start to think like, oh, they do get along, like they're talking and it's it's not so crazy, but she's so drunk. And then suddenly they're married and you're like, whoa, Okay, she's just in the volvo with him heading back to California. Eradite sort of bizarre. And then the scene for me where I'm like okay, I'm in is when during the first of all, during the party, when he just shuts it down, and you're like, oh my god, this guy's like a baller and he kind of runs this town right like these.
Speaker 1: People, even Emily just calling them out, being like you had sex during this party, like just like called it. I was laughing. I could not stop laughing. And then Hubble just shutting it down. Right after that, I was like, oh, shoot, let's go. This was I agree with you that scene.
Speaker 2: I was like, Danielle, you called her Emily, which is fine, you can just call her.
Speaker 1: Sorry, you guys are gonna hear that. Sorry, guys, it's still fun Fanny.
Speaker 2: But I love when they when he goes upstairs, I think, I think what happens. So she's sitting there staring at the view and he comes upstairs and they have that real moment together where he's like, I know you don't love me, and he says like, I'm gonna do this for you, like I know what you want and I know what you need and I'm gonna provide you that. And in my head, I go, great speech. And then she says, great speech.
Speaker 1: Well, And she also said that she's never loved somebody, which is why. Yeah, you know, so you start to understand her a little bit more too.
Speaker 2: And they kiss and then they sleep together, you know, allude to that, which makes it all the more like devastating when Truly comes into the bar and he's died and it's such a twist. It's like you're like, I was not expecting that. Yeah, but I'm hooked, but I'm hooked. I'm crying and I'm hooked, right. It's like there's something about the way these people do these shows. Amy Sherman Paladino does these shows that you're like, oh, I'm totally invested, Okay, I'm invested, yeah, invested in the girls somehow, these four main girls. I'm in Boo.
Speaker 1: I'm like Boo, I want Boo to get that audition, and like all.
Speaker 2: Right, and you kind of want to know what Sasha's damage is. You're like, what's going on Sasha, Like, you know, even the dance scene where she's teaching them the dance and she's like pony pony like somehow that's like enjoyable, and the way Kelly Bishop's looking at her through the doorway and she's kind of impressed and sort of smiling, and I don't know the whole thing. It's like it's not Gilmore Girls, but it's enough Gilmar Girls eat that I'm like, all right, I'm in and I remember it like giving me the fix I needed at the time that it's like, oh okay, and it's edgy, right, like, you know, it's not it's not super vanilla, like it's there's a little edge, and there's they talk about sex and the girls are kind of having there's some adult undertones to it, you know, you're like, okay for ABC Family. At the time, I kind of was like, oh, this is kind of whol Yeah.
Speaker 1: I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I'm excited for episode two. I'm excited to see what happens if Sutton's character Michelle stays at the house with the mother well now really her mother in law and see that relationship build with Also, I also feel like Michelle is going to be a part of this dance academy, you know, like she is so good at it, and I think she's finding her calling with that. Instead of being the show girl, she's teaching, you know, the girls how to be confident, which I feel like is something that she's kind of lacking, which is a little little you know, I be a little bit ironic, but yeah, I think that it's I was pleasantly surprised because I didn't really have any expectations going into it. But yeah, it is. I would say it is hard for me. Even throughout this whole episode. I keep saying Emily and Jeff c and you know that's hard.
Speaker 2: Sort of coming that you'll get You'll be like, oh my god. And that's kind of how we're gonna watch it, right for the Gilmore Girls' esque of it, Yeah, I like this show. It's not Gilmore Girls, but I like it. And I remember being really bummed because obviously, look, we know there's like eighteen episodes and it got canceled. I remember being really bummed because I wanted to see what happened. And I think critics really liked it or at the time. I think it finds its way even more as the season goes along, and I think it was kind of one of those shows that was on the fence, like I thought, I thought it was going to get another season. So anyway, uh, how do you like? I we might as well rate it. I think we should.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll rate it seven out of ten Bad Glasses of Wine.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was funny. First of all. It was funny also when I think he sort of stops the party and says YadA, YadA, YadA, and truly's like, isn't he perfect or something? Actually a few giggles out.
Speaker 1: Loudly is great. I hope there's more.
Speaker 2: Truly, I think I'm going to give it eight CDs. First of all, it was real great to see the boombox with the CDs because I'm like, yeah, and it feels like they're in Carmel or Big Sir.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: That's why it was sort of so jarring when they filmed that the shot this stress shop scene in Hermosa because I'm like, this isn't La, like I would say, up the coast on a weird little town off the one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every shot prior to that was like, oh, this is cute little town, and then you see it was I couldn't decide if it was Hermosa or Manhattan, but it's definitely that like Pierre Avenuu Street that like, you know, all the shops are lined up on and like, oh that doesn't feel so small towny weird, you know.
Speaker 2: Decided to do that because it was that that was not the small town feel, like I really think this is a small town. So anyway, that was my only critique. I remember feeling like it actually is a little racier than Gilmore Girls, just a tad like I don't remember specifically why, but I kind of remember like, oh, there, there, this is a little there's a little bit of a I don't know, I just felt a little bit more adult, And oh, I know there was a scene that I thought that is weird. Did you think it was weird when she walked into the Chicago audition and she sort of barges in and she's so loud and she's like, where's Jimmy Houston? I was sort of like, that felt weird. So that was sort of my call out, Like, oh, and that she had so many frame pictures of herself in her own apartment in Vegas.
Speaker 1: You know people.
Speaker 2: Have that. I'm not gonna call out any did you know they do? Did you know it was Alex Borstein? By the way, there's a cameo by Alex Borstein as the neighbor in Vegas, So you remember, you know, the neighbor with the crazy wig and the nutty outfit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I'm.
Speaker 2: Lex Borstein because I think they were best friend They are best friends or were, but yeah, I think they are best friends Amy and Alex. So she always puts her in beautiful shots of Vegas, so that I liked because you really felt like you're in Vegas, and you felt like you're in a bleep, bleepy apartment in Vegas, and then it pans out from the apartment and you see Vegas. I thought that was brilliant.
Speaker 1: And the costumes in the beginning were really cool and you know, elaborate and all that.
Speaker 2: And I thought when he gives her that, I thought it was a bracelet, but I guess it's a watch watch. Yeah, And she really was like, this is the nicest thing anyone's ever given me, and this is so beautiful. And I really was like, oh, okay, like I'm That was the moment when I started to feel like there's something going on between them. It's there's I don't think she's using him, do you know what I mean? There's something there.
Speaker 1: I think she I think from what I've gathered from this first episode, she wants better for her life and she feels like this is her shot at getting a good man and wants to be happy, yes, and comfortable, you know, instead of just the whole grind of what she's doing.
Speaker 2: And then she looks so horrendous in the Volvo, like she looked they really did her right, meaning she looked hungover, dirty makeup.
Speaker 1: And they know her makeup was all over.
Speaker 2: It's so bad. And then you see the ring and you're like, oh wow. And then you see the i'll call it a barn right, I don't know what to call it where the dance studio is and immediately I'm like, that is miss Patty's right. You're like wow, So you you're getting enough Gilmoury right.
Speaker 1: And one more thing that was very Gilmore to me was when you walked in the house and there's just clowns everywhere. I immediately was like clown pillow paradise.
Speaker 2: That house was so cluttered and filled with weird crap that I was like overwhelmed by it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I thought the kiss was good. I thought it was a really good kiss. She even says good kiss, and I'm like, it is, m m it is. And then she says, I think I could fall in love with him like I thought, you know, okay, I mean, and I believed her.
Speaker 1: I believed her totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in Yeah.
Speaker 1: So eight CDs, seven out of ten. Battleglasses of wine. And how do we end this next episode?
Speaker 2: That's not a great unda. We need we need a catchy, a catchy send off. More buns next week, a couple of good buns. Gotta go with the buns. A bun joke.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't have it on me right now?
Speaker 2: What do you like on your bun? Would you like a bun with that?
Speaker 1: Come back for some more bun.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, come back for some more buns. That's perfect. Every week we'll have a bun butN pun.
Speaker 1: Don't worry you, guys, this is only in the last eighteen weeks.
Speaker 2: You're fine, totally fine.
Speaker 3: Bun bun bye bye, bye bye.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at im all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.