Speaker 1: Welcome back to Golden Hour.
Speaker 2: I'm Kathy, and Susan's here as well. How are you girl?
Speaker 1: Okay? I am great. I am loving World Cup, all things World Cup. I've never watched so much TV in my life. But I just have to say real quickly. Have you ever been caught in an elevator? Yes?
Speaker 2: I panic.
Speaker 1: I got caught in one last night. I was pounding on the door trying to get out. I was at Cindy's place in downtown Austin in the W Hotel. W Hotel. If you're listening, get your damn elevators fixed. It was the worst thing, Susan. I started panicking and then all of a sudden I couldn't get outok.
Speaker 2: Enough to see if there was a trap door. Yeah, then you think I'm alone? How am I getting up there?
Speaker 1: No? And then I hit the help button and it kept dialing and going please hold, please hold, and like the fifth time it said, I'm sorry, there is no one to answer your call. I started wedding. I thought I'm going to die in an elevator, and then the thing shot up like like a jet. It just shot up, and I thought, oh my god, now I'm going to go through the roof of the building. It stops at floor twenty and mister Adonis eric is his name, walks out and he walks into the elevator on the other side. It has, you know, two sides to get in and out of. He saw the panic in my eyes. He goes, I'll take you up, and he literally got in there. I literally thought, I've never been caught in an elevator before.
Speaker 2: It was scaryc It's scary. And then I keep thinking, well, you know, I have to have snacks. There's always snacks in my purse. What if I'm here for hours? What if I have to pee? I got to peel on the floor. I mean, what goes through your mind you're inside.
Speaker 1: It was brutal. Anyway, I'm fine today here.
Speaker 2: I'm just dealing with a lot of storms. My pool is at the very tippity top. I'm waiting for Dicky to come over and help me out and put the dream thing on. I don't even know how to do it. The pump it's about to overflow. We had so much rain in the last two days. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: But you know what World Cup takes, takes precedents of your.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, yes, and fourth of July. How was your fourth?
Speaker 1: It was great. I had my son, Susan, don't fall over to dead thing. Guess what I did on July fourth?
Speaker 2: I already know you made food, Kathy. He called me about the Brussels sprouts.
Speaker 3: Out.
Speaker 1: That's all I need to I mean they were edible and for me, that's coming out I made. I made homemade brownies and Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. And then my son, wait, and my son who was a firefighter, I'm not. I don't know if I told you this. The grill caught on fire, like flames, and my daughter in laws looking at me and she's like, she said, Kathy, usually that panic you. I said, you kidd me. He's a firefighter. He'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: Literally, grills do that though. That's not your fault. You are excused, not your fault.
Speaker 1: Well, I did clean the grill yesterday top to bottom. It's like it's like all brand new again. All right, So what are we going? What do we do now?
Speaker 2: Moving right along, let's get into Bachelor Nation news. Okay, we had a really big week. First and foremost, let's talk about Katie Thurston. I mean, she's opening up talking about her cancer battle. What that girl has been through, Kathy, Yeah, I mean Mark goes out.
Speaker 1: I gotta say for cancer. Yeah, I mean, well, her newest, her newest interview that she did, she talks about turning pain into purpose. Yes, and you know, here's my thought on this life. I have not had cancer, but my my very good friend, my neighbor beat breast cancer. And I think that her helping other women to get early detection. Yeah, uh is a gift. It's It's one of those She's a public personality because of Bachelor. She's fighting her own battle, and yet she is saying how grateful she is to be helping to save others lives.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what she said. I saved somebody's life because people have actually DMed her and said without you saying these things, I would have never checked. It's the same when we came not the same, we're not talking cancer. But when we came off the show, how many people, how many women in this world that we spoke to saying that life is not over over sixty, like, you still have a lot more life to live. Sharing a message because we were given that platform is so important and everyone I know is still praying for Katie and she's still going along with this battle, and our hearts are.
Speaker 1: Our hearts with her. And let me tell you, if the more advocates we have to fight this dreaded disease, you know, my hat is off to you, Katie, keep fighting the good fight, and really thank you for being a voice for all the people that don't have a voice. Okay. Our next one is my Michael Alio. He discusses overcoming addiction after his late wife's passing. He said I was lost and he so. I have interviewed him on another podcast. He wrote a children's book. I did not know in the interview I did with him. I didn't know this until I read this article about him. He he talks about being a caregiver twenty four to seven and that he had to be the strong person. And then his wife Laura dies and he's kind this spot boy thirty three, he was thirty four. He's got this vast void and a two year old, and you know, I don't know what it's like, but I know you go from constantly carying like Joan, same thing with her Nancy. You go from constantly caring for your spouse taking him to a doctor's appointments to nothing, and so he got addicted to painkillers. And and he said it was a well kept secret. You know what blows my mind, Susan. He sent his son to a relative's house, locked himself in a room for a week, and went through the whatever you call DT's the detox by himself. He said he couldn't imagine that he would be a good father like that is a strong person. Yes, right, so I mean I can't even imagine, you know.
Speaker 2: The depression. I mean I could see it leading to other things and then realizing she's gone. I'm addicted to pills. I have a two year old I have to raise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Yeah. The other thing he said that blew my mind was that he was completely And I get this because the first year after my husband died, I couldn't tell you what time it was. Literally I lost a year of my life. And he says the same thing. The first year he was numb and he doesn't remember anything. And he said actually having the pain come back made him feel alive. And I thought, you know, in a twisted way, that made total sense to me. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Anyway, you know, we're glad that he has overcome that and his two year old son is now ten.
Speaker 2: And we're actually going to have him on a podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's going to be a lot more.
Speaker 1: We're going to know a whole lot more. Okay, we're going to move on into talking about one of my favorite topics, Susan, age gap relationships.
Speaker 2: Here we go, people.
Speaker 1: Ready, and so we're going to be talking about you know the right person if you know they are the right person. And one of those things in determining is age. So you know, an age gap relationship. You know, Susan, this, I've been very vocal about this. Yes, when we talk about age gap relationships, it's usually correct me if I'm wrong. An older man dating a much younger woman, do you agree?
Speaker 2: And nobody has a problem with it. Nobody, I mean unless it's like, excuse me, ridiculous, like it could be his daughterw some but nobody says too much. But when a woman dates ten fifteen years younger, I mean, they used to call them cougars. It wasn't cougar twenty years. Wasn't that the I don't know, I don't I'm pretty sure it was twenty I don't even know if they used the name cougars anymore. But everybody has something to say. Why is that?
Speaker 1: Why? Listen, I'd love to be a cougar at that's something I have to I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, more power to her.
Speaker 1: Really, here's here is one of the things I think everyone has has an opinion, right, And I think when it comes to men, if you ask a man what's his age range?
Speaker 2: And I've seen it, if he's what sixty sixty five?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm talking about our generation. If you say, hey, what's your age range? Susan, I will buy you a house at the beach. If I'm wrong, the answer you to the answer, but I'll be standing there with you. The answer always is, oh, you know, I'll go to fifty years old. If he's sixty five, you know, fifty is about his young As all date, they never say what the oldest woman they will date.
Speaker 2: They won't even say my age, right.
Speaker 1: That's right. But when you ask a woman, this has been my experience, when you ask a woman, they'll say, oh, i'll date a guy five years younger or five years older, like women will put a number around it. I think have you noticed that too or not?
Speaker 2: No? No, I haven't, Okay, we have it. I think most people would say, yeah, I'll date younger, but never give an exact and like you, if it were you, you'd say, well, how much younger?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And I used to think ten years, But I think when you're in your six or at least sixty five, I don't think it matters as much as like if you were younger, like when you're real young. Obviously we weren't allowed out with guys five years our senior, but after fifty even then that doesn't become as important. After sixty or sixty five, I don't think it matters.
Speaker 1: But well, I don't think it matters. But I think I'm standing on this one, and your house at the beach depends on it that men will date younger always if I and women will look at the guy like I don't like dating men my age, not because I have a problem with their age. I have a problem with their mobility. You know, I don't care if they have gray hair. I don't care if they're bald. I care that they can only walk from the couch to the refrigerator to get a beer and move back to the couch. Again, that's my.
Speaker 2: Problem, but I will sorry, go ahead no, you go ahead. I think it's funny because if it's somebody on TV, like a star and they're dating a younger, no, oh, everybody, that's cool. But if it's your next door neighbor, yeah, you're gonna have a lot to say about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so not cool. You're right, and it's so funny. You said that because I did you know me? Kathy loves to research. Prianna Chopra. Chopra and Nick Jonas are married. Uh huh, guess who's older? She is by ten years? Yes, by ten years. And then how about Alec Baldwin there and Hillary Hillary, they're twenty six years apart, happily married. And then my favorite French president, Macrone with Bridgete. I think it's how you pronounce your name. They're twenty four years apart. Although I thought they got separated, but maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: And they've been together. So what do you what's your thought on whether it lasts?
Speaker 1: My thought is I have to be famous and then I can find a younger guy.
Speaker 2: Or how much money there is involved?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I do think large age gaps can work, I truly do. But I think I think at our age, do you want I don't want to data guy. I would love to date a guy in their fifties if he's retired, even though that would be a big age difference. But I don't want to data guy who's working nine to five because I want to be able to travel and do stuff. That's where the age comes in for me.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: And also I've always said if you go too young, you don't share the same values or the same you know, when you talk about your past, whether it's music. I think I've said that before, you don't have the same likes because it was a different error. Yeah, okay, So however, the younger is a good thing.
Speaker 1: We agree. Younger can be good. Age gap relationships can work. Now I'm going to hit you with another one, Susan double standards. Why is it? Tell me why when an older man is with a younger woman, the guys give them a high five? You go, you know, you go, guy, But it's different than an older woman. What is the what's that doubley?
Speaker 2: I tell you? Okay, I don't think it's as much today. In twenty twenty six, give me ten, twelve, fifteen years ago, it was taboo. You were like we said, the cougar and everybody's going to chat about it today. I don't think it matters as much. I mean, this world has changed so much, so.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with you, but I feel like the double standard is still out there. Maybe it's a little less, but.
Speaker 2: It's a little less, okay, I mean maybe because me personally, I have dated younger and nobody had anything to say about it, or at least I didn't hear it. Yeah, but I know people that you know what I will say, friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. And I've had a couple of younger guys, significantly young.
Speaker 2: Reach out to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, reach out to me, and you actually have encouraged me to date them, and I've said, are you kidding? Even though I was interested. They have kids at home, and.
Speaker 2: That's why that's the whole another. Yes, we can't be raising somebody else's kids in our sixties or seventies.
Speaker 1: I agree. But I do think women over sixty, to your points is and are are more interested now than they were ten fifteen years ago in dating younger men.
Speaker 2: And I love the person that says, well, I would never do that. You don't know, Darling, until either your spouse passes or say you get a divorce until you're looking again. That's only then are you allowed to make that statement. Do you know what I'm saying? Because you're not out there, you're not trying to meet somebody, and it's not that easy.
Speaker 1: Okay? So do you think I agree with you? Do you think there is an age gap that you would raise your eyebrows and go, oh, come on, this is over the top?
Speaker 2: I mean yes, when you get the little sugar mama, the sugar daddy thing, when they're girl's twenty seven and he's seventy seven. That's when.
Speaker 1: Oh you mean like Bill Belichick, who is my age? Who's dating a twenty four year old? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that I'd raise an eyebrow too. But you know what, you know who I am Kay's.
Speaker 1: Granddaughter, You do you? I don't care if I'm being honest here, and you know I is m How do you think that makes women like me feel? What chance do we do I have.
Speaker 2: Since for somebody to look your way? Because going after all the young girls also though when they're getting older and more tired and slowing down, they're the young girl still in her prime and she might not want that. You know that you have to think a long term. But maybe that's they're not thinking.
Speaker 1: They either are thinking long term or they're looking at the last checkbook number in the chats.
Speaker 2: But moving right along it. We'll be lucky. Look, I'll be happy if anybody comes you know of us, Amen, girl, We're going to get into the Golden hotline.
Speaker 1: Now, you know.
Speaker 2: Each week, everybody we do answer questions from our listeners and we try to give them our expert golden advice. Kathy, would you like to start with the first one?
Speaker 1: All right, I'll go with the first one. This is from anonymous. Hi, ladies, please keep this anonymous. I've been living with my boyfriend for almost two years, now together almost four He makes I guess they've been together for four years, but living together for two years. Okay, he makes significantly more than I do. We are both in our fifties. Every summer he pays for a weekly beach rental for his kids, and always in fight my kids as well. I brought up recently how we may want to look at another week next summer as my best friends and is getting married and it will be the time he usually books a rental for his beach week. He likes doing the same week every year. He was appalled, Oh god, I would ask to change his weeks. He said that he pays for the vacation and I should not have a say in changing the weeks. I felt money shamed, as if I can't speak up about our vacations because he pays for it. Am I being too sensitive? Should I sit back and not bring this up again? He actually said that I should go to the wedding by myself and to come to the vacation rental after the wedding. I'm hurt. I feel unheard. What would you do in this situation? Susan's mouth is wide open, and while she's thinking, I'm gonna say, dearie, two years you've been with this man. Two years too long living with him? Wait to boot him to the curb.
Speaker 2: For her to say I feel unheard. Scratch that off and erased that you were heard?
Speaker 1: Man, you were honey.
Speaker 2: What I want to know? Is it one of her friends or their friends that's say it's a mass son? Well no, but I'm going I'm trying here. This is me trying. Okay, this is me trying because my first thought you don't want to know, but my glass is on for this one, because I cannot freaking believe that this dude, if it's not I mean, if they were friends together, all of them, let's reread that. Go back to where.
Speaker 1: Let me make this really simple.
Speaker 3: He has my.
Speaker 2: Best friend's son. It's her best friend, so he could give a shit less because it's her best friend and I don't like to day to that. No problem, honey, I'm going to rent a place a different week. Well that's not that's not cool at all.
Speaker 1: She said. He makes significantly more money. Here's my take on this.
Speaker 2: Obviously, he he.
Speaker 1: Earns a lot of money. He brings this kid for the same week. This is why I'm single. This would I would see red. I would be like a bull on it's running the you know, running the pemplone in pemplone. I would just be going for the friend. It doesn't matter who the friend is. He rents it for his children to come and invites her children to come. He sounds like a guy who is rigid beyond belief and an anonymous. What I would tell you is you, as Susan said, you were well heard and you really got to look at Are you willing to put up and shut up? Or do you want to make a big thing about it, I personally would not would would make a big thing of it because.
Speaker 2: I would have the discussion again. Yeah, but if you don't win, I look so hot when I left that beach house for that wedding, and I might have to get a room because I'm not driving all the way back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but understand that this sounds to me like she said she was money shame, Susan.
Speaker 2: He sounds like an asshole.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Anonymous. The OZ has spoken. It is time to get back on the yellow brick road and move away from Emerald City.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry, Anonymous. But yeah, good And if you put up with that, you're gonna put up with a lot more.
Speaker 1: What did I say to you when I said why you had your mouth hanging? I said, here's the answer, Anonymous. Kick him to the curb. But here's what I'm guessing, Susan, before we move on real quickly, this is typical of many women, many couples at different ages. One and it's usually the man. It's you know, the old the old it's glass ceiling for women. The man earns the money and she I'm guessing I'm reading between the lines. She's got to stick around because she can't make it on her own.
Speaker 2: That I'm saying. She can't make the vacation.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. He earns significantly more so living together with him, they have a comfortable life.
Speaker 2: Maybe pants.
Speaker 1: He wears the pants because he earns more money. And just say, know what, what about the babe? Seriously, this is my best friend. Honey, have a little.
Speaker 2: We could go the week before the week after, please, babe.
Speaker 1: You know, Susan, I don't care if it's the postman's cousin getting married. If you're invited to a wedding as a couple, and he won't change the week a year out, give me a break. You have to move on. I'm getting I right here.
Speaker 2: I wish you luck, honey. Let us know how you made up, all right. The next one is from Hailey. Hi, Susan and Kathy. My name is Haley and I am twenty one. I have a thing that I need some advice on. So there is this guy who in the past I have talked to and liked being around, but I had to break it off twice. Nonetheless, I felt like we didn't have a connection, liked the same things whatever, and he was also overly religious, which I am not bad mouthing that. I mean, it's normally a good thing. And now all of a sudden he reached back out to me asking how am I doing and wants to reconnect with me again, And I feel like I want to, but then again, I am afraid if something goes wrong again, I don't want to have to feel like I'm hurting him. I love your podcast so much. This is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you think, Susan?
Speaker 2: First? My first thought is is she's sitting home alone and didn't meet anybody else. Is that why she's giving this another chance? Like, don't do it for the wrong reasons. But if you think he changed, I don't think that's the case because I'm learning and it took me sixty nine years to know they don't change, right, trust me?
Speaker 1: And Haley. Let me just add on to Susan's wisdom here by telling you that when a man, I don't care if you're twenty one, forty one, sixty one, or eighty one plus, when a man shows you who he is, believe him the first time. So you I love you, Haley. Yeah, I'm sure, you're a beautiful twenty one year old, but I would say you might be slightly delusional if you think that he is, you're going to go back for the third time and it's going to be the charm it isn't he is who he is. I think you're Susan's right that you guys don't share the same values. The religion bit, that that you're not connecting with him. I think Susan's right. I think maybe Haley, you need.
Speaker 2: To love hearing that. By the way, do you hear that?
Speaker 1: Say it again, Susan, you're so right today, right his rain. But I honestly think that you're right Susan that, Haley, I think you're probably lonely because why would you go back with the guy where you don't share values, You don't connect. He's overly religious, which, as you said, not a bad thing, but it's it doesn't match up with what you want. So I would say to you, something goes wrong again. Yeah, if something goes wrong again, it will go wrong again, Haley. So why don't you take your adorable twenty one year old personality and get out and find some activities and move on. And you know what, write him and say I'm really sorry whatever your name is, but I've moved on and I wish you only the best, and then block his number, block him on social mem Yes you do that, but oh I.
Speaker 2: Do unless he's harassing because you know what.
Speaker 1: Happened, Susan. You get drunk one night and you go help maybe because called drunk Hilly.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for enjoying our podcast number one and sharing that with us.
Speaker 1: And thank you so much for allowing Susan to be right on one.
Speaker 2: Of these Okay, moving almost a time.
Speaker 1: I know, I know I'm hurrying. I'm all hurry. This is a story and no advice. Okay, people will totally know this is me. But whatever. One ex who broke up with me right before we were supposed to move to an island together during the pandemic, I still moved into the place we rented because I needed to quarantine, but then found my own much smaller apartment a couple of blocks away, thinking he would just change his plans and not move there, but instead he still moved there with his new girlfriend that he got immediately after we broke up, moved her into the place we had rented together. Then, after dating her for about a year and seeing me daily on this small island. He planned to move with her to Europe, and a couple of days before their move, he broke up with her to date her now ex friend, and then she still went to Europe like I had gone to the island, and he went to Europe with his new girl. This man has a crazy pattern. And now me and the first girlfriend after me are friends. So all worked out great for us. And the story she has shared with me about what he told her about me are crazy?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, isn't that so typical?
Speaker 1: Though? You know what this sounds like to me, Susan, it's happen. It sounds like an episode of Bachelor and Paradise Gone Awry gone absolutely?
Speaker 2: How about the two girls remaining friends? That that's what happens because there was nothing wrong with the women. It's that man and the poor one that went to Europe with the ex ex girlfriend. Good luck, baby, Now you got to move from Europe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what you're gonna be out the door next to. So good for you girls for being friends, Thank you for sharing that story.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thank you and you know everybody how to do this? Submit your burning questions to Bachelornation dot com slash Golden Hour, and we're going to talk about.
Speaker 1: Them, okay, and we love hearing from you, so yeah, please do Okay, Susan, Yeah boy, we're back this week. We are the gals, the Mimi and Kiki of the world. Googling. It's the slang word of the week we're going to talk about. Okay. The first one is and really are people using? This would be my question? But the first one is called standing on business, which means following through on what you say. Well, hell, I've been standing on business since my kids were You don't eat your dinner, you get no TV boy. I followed through with what I said.
Speaker 2: What you see is what you get. If I say I'm doing it, I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: Okay, But I have to give you can I just give you the best example as an adult?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: And then I want to hear yours. I stood on business when Keith and I were on Bachelor in Paradise last summer and money got introduced, and do you remember because I showed it on TV. Keith and I sat and talked and we were like, we are not taking money out of these kids' hands now. I kind of wish they did. By the way, I see them money, I see them traveling to the hell all over Europe, and I'm like, what that was I thinking? But that's neither here nor there. I stood on business, meaning I followed through. We said we weren't going to take the money out of those kids' hands, and we didn't.
Speaker 2: We start to the same thing as keeping your word, you're standing on business.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's just it's pop culture, Susan. We can't. We have to change things that mean the same thing, but give it a new word.
Speaker 2: Show me some kids that stand on business. I don't know if they got that.
Speaker 1: Yes, Who can you think of anybody in the reality world. I'm trying to think. I don't know.
Speaker 3: No Brown when she moved the podium, huh did you ever see that, Hannah Brown moving the podium?
Speaker 2: No, moving the podium to adjust her.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Okay, We're going to circle back on this later.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, because I do want to know that I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, the best example I can think of reality TV is like Dotton and Charity getting engaged. Katie and Zach they said, and and uh.
Speaker 2: Joey and they say.
Speaker 1: They're getting married, and they're getting married. I mean, I don't know, I can't. That doesn't hold true for the Goldens.
Speaker 2: But okay, well, why don't you try this one? That's my Roman Empire? Oh, something that you're constantly thinking about?
Speaker 1: Kathy? No, I actually haven't. But you know what came to my mind when you read that Rome was not built in the day and and you know I always the cutest men in Rome, and that could be my Roman Empire. Yikes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think about constantly. Would be food? Food be my Roman Empire.
Speaker 1: Food? What would mind be?
Speaker 2: Yours would be non food? You're walking getting five miles in that. She thinks about it constantly, about her weight, about her size, about her strength.
Speaker 1: Let's not forget my horrible hair. Oh I've never heard that. Have you ever heard of Susan?
Speaker 2: I really haven't.
Speaker 1: No, that's my Roman Empire. I mean all I can think of is with I think about constantly, like i'd like to have a date with a nice guy. I don't think about it constantly, but I think about it.
Speaker 2: They're saying a few years ago they found out men think about Roman Empire all the time. So men have a one track mine is.
Speaker 3: That I'm going to give you a little lore on the Roman Empire. So it was all over social media because girls would ask guys like what they think about all the time. Most of the time a man will respond with the Roman Empire. I don't know why they do that, but I think a lot of women have responded that, and things that they thought about online were like Princess Diana, they think about the Titanic, they think about you know, all of those types of things are like their big Roman Empire that they consistently think about from the past or in general. But men have like a track record of only thinking about the Roman Empire.
Speaker 2: Men think about one thing and one thing only sex now themselves. Women are softer, strong, but softer and more emotional. We lead with emotion. Men lead with I don't think. Okay, So on air, with that being said, I want to tell everyone thank you so much for joining us today, and I think this is going to be a wrap.
Speaker 1: I would like to say that I need to go because I need to go build my Roman Empire. But in the meantime, make sure to rate, review and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 2: And you can follow Golden Hour on social media, at Batler Happy Hour, end at Bachelor Nation.
Speaker 1: Until our Roman Empire is built.
Speaker 2: I'll be thinking about the Titanic now. I'm gonna want to watch it again.
Speaker 1: Have a good week, everybody.
Speaker 2: Bye bye,