Speaker 1: Warning today's episode Canday's spoilers for Darrevil Born Again Season two, episode seven, and it's getting crazy folks. Hello, my name is Jason gets Ups and I'm Rosie Knight, and welcome back to xtra Vision, the podcast where we do you your favorite shows, movies, comics, at pop culture, comedy, from my heart warrivering you three episodes a week.
Speaker 2: Maybe sometimes more, who knows. There's so many episodes you never know. It is a blessing. You get some episodes, you get three more, who knows. In today's episode, Oh guys, it's.
Speaker 3: Not sounding like a fun one.
Speaker 4: By the name Episode two O seven, The Hateful Darkness.
Speaker 1: I wonder what god dull.
Speaker 3: Things have been good recently? Nothing bad and devil I don't think so. I'm sure nothing bad's gonna be dealing. It's the Hateful Darkness. Guys.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be checking in on how New York's doing off the Vanessa's death and the protests against may Kingpin, and then of course we will be bringing in Aaron.
Speaker 3: For discussions to talk about what's going on in New York.
Speaker 4: As we head into the penultimate episode of Dirt Double Board Again.
Speaker 1: It is the next day, the morning after the violent protests at City Hall, dared Evil is listening to the news reports and Mayor Kingpin is getting ready for work. He's ready to get back into the office. Karen Paige, He's like, a fine, He's getting booked into the into the system. She's fingerprinted, she's they're photographing her. She puts on her jail scrubs, and she's going in thankfully, though, or question more, she's not being put in a gulag style jail in Red Hook, in a real jail.
Speaker 3: Question Mark like, is this it's real jail, it's actual.
Speaker 4: Lawful questions are not in the pirate jail, as far as we know that in the pirate I think it's better than pirate jail, probably slightly marginally.
Speaker 1: Betha Kingpin visits Karen in her cell.
Speaker 3: I thought, you go back to work.
Speaker 1: What is this?
Speaker 4: What do you do appropriate just hanging around at the jail, Like come on, sir.
Speaker 1: He harangues her for helping vigilantie Matt Murdoch, and Karen's like, well, I think you're scared. I think you're scared of.
Speaker 3: What's a crazy thing to say?
Speaker 1: He strangles her through his through the cell bars.
Speaker 3: I guess it's not bad than the Red Hook goolag.
Speaker 1: Actually is like, you have one phone call use it wisely?
Speaker 4: AKA cool, My boyfriend like, I need this weak to, I need this beak to dead evil I need now.
Speaker 1: Mister Charles, not eating because he's asleep, wakes up to find Jessica Jones at his bedside and she's like, listen, mister Charles, I'm not working for you anymore, confirming that indeed she was working for the Black Bag Avengers assembled by we assume Contessa Allegra Dufontaine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do we It was like Marvel suicide squad.
Speaker 1: She warns mister Charles to back off, don't send any more guys again, that's right. And then mister Charles is like, that's it, Okay, I won't do that. But by the way, I heard from a little Bernie that your powers don't work so good anymore, that they come in and out. And then he goes even further. He says, and by the way, ever, wonder where your husband, father of your child is.
Speaker 3: I know where he is.
Speaker 1: He's overseas doing black bag work for Luke.
Speaker 3: Okay, we were right though, Yeah.
Speaker 1: We were all right. Whatever this organization is and mister Charles says, I am not working for Fisk anymore, Like we're we're enemies now, and I think the governor's in a little bit of trouble. So that's the information you should know. JJ talks to Matt. Fisk is gonna kill the governor because the governor can provoke the Red Hook Charter, which we all knew about.
Speaker 4: Also, can I just say, like, this is so silly, because when you really think about this plan, like, is fits just gonna kill everyone who ever knew about the chaw like.
Speaker 3: And how it can be remote.
Speaker 4: So far, I mean, so far it's got quite good. I'm not gonna lie. But it's very Pirates of the Caribbean plot line that I.
Speaker 1: Love, I know. So Matt is like, okay, Jessica, you need to meet my my pal Cherry, who basically does what you do, but with a worse heart, and he's a lot older and.
Speaker 3: He's not and that's superpowers.
Speaker 1: Yes. So Cherry is like, hey, I've got news. Karen is in jail. She's in the fifteenth Precinct. Don't go so down there, Matt. I know that's what you want to do, is just go run down there. Don't do it. I will handle it. That's what you have me for. I have all my contacts at the precinct still the aka the Good Apples, and Cherry then says, it's just detective Kim. Well, it's like four others. There's like, yeah, there's like three or four gen X detectives who are like the good guys.
Speaker 3: They just listening to led Zeppelin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the good guy detectives. Uh. Cherry tells Jessica Joes, Hey, city needs you, babe. I don't know if you've I don't know if you've seen the news, but I need to require please.
Speaker 4: He's like, move from upstate New York, Cello House, come back. You're like somebody who left your COVID. Come back the seeds, you know.
Speaker 1: Come back down from Woodstock. Shit's crazy down here. We need you. Dared of all Meanwhile, is like, well, if Karen is at the fifteenth, the force is gonna go there and they're gonna like try and assassinate her.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, he's so over the top, Like no offense.
Speaker 4: But I love Cavin Page, I do, and I'm glad she's got more to do.
Speaker 3: But like, why does Matt think that is.
Speaker 4: Like gonna be the number one focus of the task force. Maybe, like what does she really do? I guess she just they should have.
Speaker 1: Just I will say I found this strange as well, just because like I think, if they were gonna kill her, they should have just killed her at the protest, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, like Wills Fitz could have just killed her right then. But this man instead is like you got one phone called police school, my mude or please it's like call him yourself. Man, just kill her, Like I mean, I don't want Karen to die, but this is a silly, a silly conflict that they've created.
Speaker 3: On this one.
Speaker 1: Matt goes to visit Bullseye in the punish her basement, and I guess has just alone, just been alone, handcuffed to the cot, starving and like pissing and shitting himself. Oh yeah, what's even doing the hours since.
Speaker 4: Maybe his like maybe his like training, his like secret service training means he can really hold it in.
Speaker 3: But also like insane that they just left him there.
Speaker 4: And also you're telling me that my guy couldn't have found like a tiny splinter and like spacked it into the fucking look and unchained himself here.
Speaker 3: I don't believe it.
Speaker 1: I think he was well, I think it's this is Dex on his best behavior.
Speaker 3: He's I was gonna say, he's waiting for them.
Speaker 1: He's trying to show like I'm a good guy now, and uh, you know, I really want to balance the scales. And Daredevil is like, okay, let's bounce the scales. But first, like, let's just get all our cards on the table. I want you to know, take confession. Of course he does. He's like, here's let me put all my cards on the table. As Matt Murdoch, I hate you because of like the eighty ninety people you killed, including of course my closest friend Foggy and which, by the way, Dex knows and everybody knows. But that's good that you need to say that. Okay sure, and he says like, Dex, if you really want to make amends, you've got to help me now, and you've got to do it without killing anybody, which is not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: Like Also, this is my thing about Matthew, right, is like you love to hang around with a serial killer. Stop trying to save them, Like you can't save them, just utilize them for what you need. You're worried that the task force is gonna go get your girlfriend. Okay, send this man who is extremely good at killing fascist, fucking cops, and send him to kill them so they don't do that to huh, Like, you don't need to.
Speaker 3: I know that, Matt. You know what, though, I'm not gonna lie. We love how he tries to save everyone's souls. That's like his whole thing. So I can't complain too much. But let my man free. Let Dex kill somebody. He's a good boy.
Speaker 1: I think that that will happen. Karen is languishing in jail Detective Brett Mahoney from season two of Deer All Netflix Unexpected shows up.
Speaker 2: All.
Speaker 1: I love how they're resurfacing the Netflix people.
Speaker 3: We need more detectives. There's only three.
Speaker 1: I mean, we need more. There's a nice little like reunion beat and she tells him, you know Fisk was down here strangling me. He's like, I know, there's nothing we could do about that. He's the fucking mayor with fucking.
Speaker 4: He's like, sorry, if the Max honestly, look, I'll be real, guys, I have had I There are politicians in Los Angeles and they will just let them go to a homeless person's tent and basically just steal all their shit for like a photo op.
Speaker 3: So maybe the MAC can choke somebody in a jail, Like honestly, I believe it.
Speaker 1: I think he's been getting away with work.
Speaker 4: I really like the The answer to it is like, we can't do anything about it, so we just gonna.
Speaker 3: Let you free.
Speaker 4: That's how I should be with every kind of corruption. It's like, yeah, the corrupt system's harming you. I'm just gonna let you out of the back. That's a moral that's moral police.
Speaker 1: So he lets her out of her jail. So he produces the key and like pops up in the jail.
Speaker 4: No CCTV in this place, like Fiske strake not an issue, like this happened, not an issue.
Speaker 1: Well, if there's no CCTV in the cell, there's got to be in the hallway.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying, like, this is bad.
Speaker 1: Literally what giving.
Speaker 4: A White House correspondence then a level of security.
Speaker 1: So he did, so they pop caring at it out of her cell. They walk her down the hallway and out the door of the back of the precinct where there is also no camera and Matt is just crouched man broad daylight. It's daytime. He's crouched against the wall and oh no, it's night time. Sorry, it's you know. Just walks her out. Matt is crouched against the wall, and Matt's there.
Speaker 4: They hug, guys. I gotta say this, this is like one oh one. If you're doing a crime hypothetically, like imagine hypothetically, imagine you were doing like a small crime, like you're just doing some small victimless crime, like you're shoplifting or something hypothetically, and you were going to meet up with someone that you had been shoplifting with, you would not do it outside the back of the crime the space, like meet further away, go to a coffee shop, like anywhere else. These people are so bad at this, but I still love them. It's very comic, Bookie. It's efficient. It's efficiency of storytelling. But there are a lot of moments in this where I was yelling at the TV in a way that everyone who knows me knows, Like if they come into my house, they knock on the door, they hear me yelling at the TV.
Speaker 3: They know I'm committed.
Speaker 4: They're not getting me off that show, like i'd be talking to those characters very silly.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but it's fun stuff.
Speaker 1: So Karen is like, I don't want you to break me out. I want to have my day in court. I want to face Fisk, I want to face down the Karen zone.
Speaker 3: I got broken out.
Speaker 1: And she says he's different now post Vanessa. She means, and I can tell because he was recently strangling me in the gym. We're just like, yeah, it's okay, and jast like.
Speaker 4: It's not anymore about like the pleasant play, the charismatic, smart villain who's always ten steps ahead, like this man came in and said, call your boyfriend, I'm gonna choke you.
Speaker 1: Like, what's I'm gonna choke you? Now?
Speaker 3: Lots of choking going on this season. It's a strangulation heavy season.
Speaker 1: Say, very very choked.
Speaker 4: I gotta say, actually, I was very happy as well. I know something, Me and Jason we got deep cut tastes. We're funny guys, we're weirdo as we know. That's why you guys like to listen to us. But I got to say I was happy with how much everyone else was as hilarious about the choking as we were about Heather's grim like everyone responded correctly to episode two o six, every other podcast, every other vibe, every response correct. This is a choke heavy show. Yeah, the chokey like Matilda. That's whath I'm gonna start calling it. They're gonna put you in the choky Karen Page.
Speaker 1: So Karen is like, listen, I want to feel court. Daredevil's like, oh, you know, Fisk knows he's losing the city and he's freaking out. He's going to try and destroy you in court. You gotta know that. But they talk about how the fact that all of this is televised and televised all across the city and surely like the country as well, that can be like the jury, like it's a tribunal system, but like they can they can play to the court of public opinion. And then Matt drops the hint like maybe al show so okay, oh d a Hackman updates Fisk on the Karen Page trial and Fisc is like, I want you to fucking go crazy on here, like I want you to go balls to the wall the AG and he's like, well, I gotta be careful because the age the State Ag is going to be involved, and so we got to kind of watch our p's and q's because the governor is a little tight on us and the Fisk doesn't care about that. Then Heather comes in and Hawkman is like, I need you, Heather, I need you on this case. And Fisk tells Heather after Hawkman leaves that he's like, I hate Hawkman. He makes my skin crawl, and Heather is like, I also hate Lloyd.
Speaker 3: Okay, bomb bum bum.
Speaker 4: Let me just say, does this feel to you like Wilson is like setting her up here to potentially kill Hawkman? Like I feel like he's basically winking at her and going, yeah, he fucking scheves me out too, because he is he is creepy. He's he basically as soon as he realized that Heather, for whatever reason, would change the scores on the test to prove that the Swordsman was secretly crazy, he basically immediately then went to, oh, we should go to dinner, like he thought that he would be able to control her. He's a scheme, He's a creep and I kind of love that. Fisk here was almost like, okay, could this be another killer? Like could she be another buck for me?
Speaker 3: Like it feels like he knows.
Speaker 1: My sense is that yes, and also that I think if Hawkman fails, he just wants him gone. If he can't like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, if he can't do this, yeah, like get him out of there. So he's thought and already spread in those seeds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's exactly right, Heather says, you know, I just came to check on you to see how you're doing. To Fisk, you know, because of the very famous thing where Vanessa was killed by a shard of your memorial bust at the fight that you were having, the scrapping in the kitchen fight, you remember, And Fisk is like, yeah, Fisk is like, of course he's struggling.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: He doesn't mention that he recently strangled Karen Page in jail, and he tells her that, you know, I never expected to fall I never expected to fall in love or be left alone with that love. He tells her, Oh, that's such a good line.
Speaker 3: And I love the wrong I love when they write him a bang off, I know.
Speaker 1: And then he's like, by the way, this is crazy. He pops out the other earring of Vanessa's that from the set that Heather purloined from the bedroom. When she in the scene where she was later strangling Buck, he's like, I know you took it. But he doesn't mention choking Buck, but he's like, I know you took it, and he like basically is like here and you can.
Speaker 3: Have the other one. Crazy.
Speaker 1: I think he's grooming her to be his strangler.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say his little stranger strangle with maybe a little bit like a strangler with benefits, because I feel like.
Speaker 3: The way he's to learn about there's the way he's talking about love.
Speaker 4: I feel like he's kind of like, you know, I'm gonna be left all alone, but you can have this, uh this earring.
Speaker 1: You know, everybody feels like they're gonna fuck anyway.
Speaker 4: That's a weird sexual like chemistry and electricity that Evil had, that has that is just impacting everyone on the show in a really weird way.
Speaker 1: Let's go to a break and we'll be right back and talk about the rest of this episode.
Speaker 3: And we're back.
Speaker 1: Dan and Biebe are arguing.
Speaker 3: He knows that.
Speaker 1: He's basically like, let's just have it out, Like you've been taking information that you get from me, and you've been putting it out there and you are the BB report, you were the mask Fisk and and you're putting all of us in a really bad spot. You're putting us in danger. And he's like, you don't understand. Buck is very dangerous and I can't protect you from him, And then Bbe complains this is I love BB, but this is the craziest. This conversation is so out of touched. Dan is like trying to basically say, like, your life is in danger. I watched Buck cut up a body. And BB's like, but you don't understand. I started this indie media company that I then sold to Fisk, and Fisk has ruined it. I'm like, babe, welcome to the industry.
Speaker 3: Also, yeah, all of all, have you ever have you ever done a Google? Why do you sell it? Have you ever heard of private equity?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Why did you sell it?
Speaker 4: Tim?
Speaker 3: Why did you take the money? Don't do that? That's an BB. Also, wait, I gotta know how much did you sell it to him before? Because you want to know too.
Speaker 4: By Dan's busted ass apartment, I would have begat at least six seven figures seven minimum from Medphisk Like he's got a pirate chart that he has treasure, he has a free home. I feel like she did a bad job here. Her and Dan should have planned on this more. I do love again.
Speaker 3: I know, and we're not the only people who've been saying this about Michael.
Speaker 4: Gandelfini, but you get this, yeah, desperation and fear and realness in his performance in this scene that I think just cements him as someone who outside of the MCU is going to continue to have like an incredible career, Like this man has the fucking juice. Like this scene ends up feeling aside from BB being a dumb cough but you know what, that's how it is in the Sopranos too. You really could believe this is like a serious crime mob moment, like he fucking sells that shit and he's like, I'm gonna do it, man, I'm gonna do the right thing.
Speaker 3: But you can see this fear in his head and uh oh, it's so good.
Speaker 1: So after this BB is like, well, you should also know that mey or Fisk killed my uncle. You figurd you think he didn't know that, and you know, you're just ignoring the fact that he killed my uncle. And Dan is like, okay, you got me. I am doing that. I am ignoring the fact that he did that. I didn't know, but listen, and then he like tells her everything. He's basically like, Buck is waiting for me to hand you over, and if you don't like, if I don't do that, my family and I are dead, Like he's gonna legitimately like murder us.
Speaker 4: And BB is like, we should run your mom's vote for Fisk, so who has honestly I know as well, though no this I like the way that BB's like, we should run and I'm like, okay, so what can you use some of that fucking five hundred million dollars I hope you got for selling your independent digital media company to a billion As I know, I think it seems like from the way she's acting that she sold it for like fifty k or something.
Speaker 3: I'm like, bab you.
Speaker 1: Come on anyway. Dan is like, I have a safe spot, like I have a safe house a finance buddy, and I will contact him and we can lay up there. And then he texts Buck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god, I can't believe this.
Speaker 1: Buck is with Buck is with Mayor Fisk. And He's like, hey, by the way, Dan's a good kid. I think we can trust him because he's good. He's handing his baby. That's he doesn't say that, but he's basically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like it's happening.
Speaker 1: When it happen, Fisk is like, yeah, I love that kid. He's great. And we learn now that Fisk's master plan is to have Daredevil show up at the current Page trial so that he can like arrest him and for the cameras and then take Karen Page down at the same time. It's the whole or a good plan.
Speaker 3: I think either way.
Speaker 4: I think having all the cameras there is going to obviously backfire depending on how this goes, because you can then change the perception of the public. But I like how realistic it feels that somebody would think that having a televised court trial in their favor as a criminal man would actually work in their favor. And we've seen that sometimes that televised trials do work in the man's favor.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I do.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's like very comic Bookie and Dark Knight ratuns and kind of silly and a little bit dated, but I actually think it's kind of again kind of interesting relativity to to some stuff we've got going on now. But I also I also think it's gonna fuck king Pinova. I just don't think there's any way that he can keep up the the mosque the whole way through the trial with everything.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's like losing.
Speaker 1: He's already like he's just losing it because of Vanessa and everything. He's he's just out of control. Anyway, trial begins Hawkman. It's like Hawkman versus McDuffie in the opening rounds. McDuffie calls on her. It's like, well, let's call now my co counsul to court and blah blah blah. It's Matt Murdoch. Matt Murdoch walks into court. It is blind man Cain and sunglasses the whole thing. Fisk is watching on TV, like, oh now this is getting interesting. What do we call the witnesses? First up is Powell, Then it is Cold North. Officer called North, the guy with the scarred face. McDuffie manages to get him to admit that they did raid Math's apartment, which we saw earlier in the season. The governor is of course also watching on TV. She calls the state attorney general and is like listen. That's it. Fisk is out of control. This shit has gone gone too far. I want to suspend the free port and I want to move against Fisk right now, like immediately, I got to pull the port all that.
Speaker 3: She also knows, like in her mind that the optics.
Speaker 4: It's a good time to do it because it's just come out that he's used he's attacking lawyers with the task force, but like also on a logical level, not that.
Speaker 3: The governor has ever been very good at that.
Speaker 4: Babe, don't do it. He's just lost his wife. He's crazy. This is not a weak Fisk. This is a crazy Fisk. Two different things.
Speaker 3: Don't do it.
Speaker 1: Dan meanwhile, is in the car with BB waiting for Buck. They're gonna like head to the quote unquote safe house. But he's like he's like leaving buck on.
Speaker 3: He's just like even texting him like where are you guys?
Speaker 1: Where are you guys? Are you coming? He then admits to BB He's like, listen, I helped chop up a body. He's like, I'm fucked at this boy, Like I cut up a body. The first mate Christoff, remember him from the Northern Star. I cut him up or buried him or whatever, and this is like how dangerous this really is. He then takes Bby to this quote unquote safe house where she's definitely gonna be murdered.
Speaker 4: But I like the basement of a brownstone, like a nice brownstone, but it's like one of those little basement apartments that sometimes get flooded.
Speaker 1: So he's like, get out of here, like you should just actually fuck it, like go yeah, yo, go which crazy but good boy.
Speaker 3: Dad, Dan redemptionhok. I saw it coming. I knew it was gonna happen. I'm proud of you. You did the right thing, even though Bbe's kind of dumb.
Speaker 1: Quarter A journs the Task Force guys are waiting for Matt, and this is the moment that you feel like it's gonna happen. Right. Meanwhile, Fisk sits and just watches from Vanessa's bed, and he's like being very very sad. Cherry's good cops, including Angie Kim, form a gen X cop Cordon to get McDuffie and Matt out of the building to their cars, but.
Speaker 3: The task Force fider Man just get the people of New York can do it. They like Matt Muddock but.
Speaker 1: The task Force really want to kill Matt right now, so they do come and do a fucking drive by in the in the garage, rat Erry and Kim get McDuffie out of there, and Matt gets shot a little bit and have to like limp off into the darkness. Meanwhile, someone sneaks into the Governor's office and starts to assassinate her, but she's saved by debts.
Speaker 3: You can be a murderer for for good.
Speaker 4: You can murder an assassin, you can be an assassin assassin.
Speaker 3: You know that's the studies assassins. He knows.
Speaker 1: Dan goes up to the murder apartment and Buck is then and Buck is like, where the fuck's baby? What's going on? And now you know it's gonna be a problem. Buck is like, well, you know I have to kill her, right Like, at some point I do have to kill her. And Dan is like, you know what, fuck you for getting me into this, and Buck begins to choke Dan, and it's curtains for Dan. Heather interviews Karen for the DA Karen Page tries to opt out of this. No chance. Karen Page knows the true false test very well, so she's like, oh, you're gonna use the fucking Meyer Meyer Briggs number seven test on me. Yeah. By the way, those are not accurate at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I can plead that shit, I've seen batty fat truthful question.
Speaker 1: About Matt, but it's like also about this. Karen Page goes full therapy session. She's like, she talks about Matt and what it's like being in love with him, but you know, not also like not feeling like you ever get to the center of who he is as a person. And then she goes to Heather like, I'm sure you understand, dude.
Speaker 4: Karen is like really spicy and this I'm like, babe, ca shit, this oneman will just lie and put you in jail, like she will fifty to fifty for no reason.
Speaker 1: Heather then hits Karen Page with like, oh, let's talk about you killing your brother, which whoa? She goes, did Kevin molest you?
Speaker 3: Crazy?
Speaker 1: Going in fucking really hard, asking about her various other traumatic relationships you know what about like do you love Frank Castle? What's what's going on between you and Frank Castle?
Speaker 3: That one did get definitely that.
Speaker 1: Really gets her hot, And Karen's like, well, I refuse to answer any of these questions and then Heather starts slapping Caroen.
Speaker 3: Around every time with this fucking crazy bitch.
Speaker 1: Back in the murder apartment, Buck is torturing Dan to get Beebe's location in the show of it, which they again they probably could find her, but they just want Dan to like be part of it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I know.
Speaker 4: And it's that's the saddest thing, is like, yeah, you can literally see they do such a good job. Pair of how many moments we get with Buck where he like pauses too long, he almost doesn't want to do it, and he's just praying that that is going to turn around.
Speaker 1: Buck. So Buck is torturing him, and man is at church asking for Jesus Christ to come to him.
Speaker 3: In his hours fucking math. It's such a nut.
Speaker 1: Is like after sending Bullseye to go kill someone. Fucking now, this is what makes dear Devil tick. Anyway, at the end of it, Buck finally does murder Dan. It's very sad, we knew that would happen. Let's go to break and we come back. Aaron will be with us to discuss things going on and crazy New York City Hell's kitchen, it's getting crazy, crazy baby yeah, and we're back, Aaron, Welcome to the program. Thank you, guys.
Speaker 5: What an episode, What an end Dan Rady done in the MVP jacket there. Unfortunately it was right before his demise.
Speaker 4: You know, I have to say that we were all right on the dead Pool. We would have won that one. We would have won some money if that were a real Deadpool.
Speaker 3: Guys, we could sense it. We could sense he was going, he was going.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts on this episode overall, and then let's go into questions that we might have.
Speaker 5: One of the notes I wrote down, this is not my favorite episode of Marvel TV. It's not my favorite thing they've done in the MCU TV wise, but I think a lot of times the MCU shows have consistently lost theme in the second half, and so far this has built up the momentum in a really true, powerful way that I appreciate and enjoy.
Speaker 1: And I've tasted so much bad at season one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think like since that Dex episode with the lobster claw in the diner, and the things have just have just kept pushing in a in a really good way. And they you know, as much as we were sad that Jess wasn't in the earlier episodes. Her introduction injected some more energy into things. We see her at the end here, you know, walking past all the blood to rescue Matthew. I think that the show has done a good job of like the second half has not been.
Speaker 3: Weak, which is not fallen off.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, so that's a good sign, even if it's not like my standout, standout episode of any Daredevil production.
Speaker 1: Right, it feels like a connector episode, yes to very much, the bigger things that are about to happen.
Speaker 3: I also, yeah, it's nicely.
Speaker 4: It sets up nicely what I think everyone has kind of been waiting for, which is the idea of Dead Evil as a legal show. We know that, and the promise of this Born Again, but obviously that change with the new crew and the new vision for the show and everything.
Speaker 3: So I kind of love that we get half of that here, And it really feels.
Speaker 4: Like, obviously the finale is going to be very heavily courtroom focused with Matt and mcduffy.
Speaker 3: We're going to get to see a little bit more of that legality.
Speaker 4: But I also am kind of enjoying the juxtaposition of that with the fact that like below Ground, like Fisks team's just insane. They're choking out witnesses, they're slapping witnesses like but in the forefront we're getting this kind of legalese type show.
Speaker 3: Aaron, what was some big like standout moments and takeaways?
Speaker 1: I mean you just said it. Matt back in the courtroom. They had to do it.
Speaker 5: I'm glad they did because that is where Charlie is like almost comfortable, like to a fault. He's so good in those court scenes. I love watching that, and I'm pretty sure originally there was all this talk about season one was going to.
Speaker 1: Be a lot more courtroom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it gonna be mostly court room.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think at the time I probably would not have wanted that. But now after being denied it for most of the season and getting it here, yeah, question Mark give me. I mean, Matt in the courtroom is so good and that was definitely, uh, this episode's highlight for me was getting him back there.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. You you talked a little bit.
Speaker 4: You know, we often catch up on Crazy headther How are you feeling about interactions with Fisk Ruby Earrings right now?
Speaker 5: Like she's too off the deep end at this point. I think, like she's so messy, like, just like, can what's stealing one ear ring? Do both of them or neither of them?
Speaker 1: Well, this is what I've been trying to like understand the significance of the earring. I guess, on one hand, there is like it is a sign of someone you know, breaking, having a mental break in the midst of a mental health crisis, that they would then engage in these kind of risky activities like stealing from mayor Fisk or strangling like a higher assassin. And I get that part of it, but also it feels like it's meant to signify something else and I'm not sure where it's going.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm like, is this gonna be? Is she gonna be wearing the meuse mosque with the ruby areas? Like that's gonna be? That would actually be so over at the top. I would love that. But yes, she's crazy.
Speaker 5: There's something in there about maybe like her wanting to take on some new identity and leave something behind, and she's doing that by taking one of the two earrings and not both of them, but then Fisk immediately gives her the other one. So it's like if that was the moment that they're trying to convey, or if that's the image of her like leaving behind this classy, sophisticated woman to become something a little more unhinged, like criminal or yeah, but then Fisk like willingly gives her the other one and there's no repercussions whatsoever.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, no, okay.
Speaker 4: So I do think though, as you were talking about this, I wonder if it's actually more about the Fisk element, where it's like, yes, this is like leverage and cementing, like the fact that your Fisk's like you're mine now, like you're my toy, you're my assassin, you're my psychiatrist.
Speaker 5: We already knew that Dan hold the chop of a body, but you can steal it earrings.
Speaker 3: I think it's less about like because she's already doing some crazy shit.
Speaker 4: Yes, less you real, But I think it's more like he's like, oh, okay, so you're dumb enough that you would steal from me.
Speaker 3: Well I know that, and here, please take this earring and wear them forever as a reminder that you tried to get one over on Wilson Fisk and it ain't gonna happen. But I'm a generous guy. I'm a generous boss. I'll give you the other earring. Just ask me next time, you know.
Speaker 4: I think he's trying to I think he sees her as a potential his little fucked up crew. But I'm very interested in, like what that crew looks like without Dan, because really it's just Fisk and Buck, you know.
Speaker 1: And I wonder, like how it's gonna listen at the end of this season, either Matt or Wilson Fisk have to leave the city.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or be in jail like one of the other.
Speaker 1: Or so what is going to happen post Wilson Fisk to these figures around him?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Like Buck, I could see maybe Buck being like, hey, mister Charles, like, I'm looking for other employment opportunities. I know you have openings because I killed your two guys in the week. I know you have openings. I could see BB, who technically again is on the Fisk payroll. I could see bbe like continuing in a role under a new may or whoever that is, yes, And the question is like, what what is Heather's job now? Because Heather is like personally employed by mayor Fish because something an evil psychiatrist would she still work for the Attorney General, you know, would she still be a consultant or would she have to go back to private practice where she's like a true psychopath. So it's unknown, like what happens. That's the thing that I'm also trying to figure out, is like what the fuck's hew they're gonna do?
Speaker 4: Pr and Bach Maybe become like a vigilante killing team or something. You know, they killing the they're killing the people. They kill a vigilante, then they fuck or something. It seems like that would be their king. You know. Hell, little body count doubling on both sides, Like it will be interesting body count. But yeah, you know, I think I do think that you actually hilariously, Jason raised the biggest question about whether or not like season three and what it would look like, because we know that they're filming it right now. There's been leaks. Don't look at them if you don't want spoilless it, don't look at them because you will see things. You will see things like not too crazy, but character stuff definitely. So I would say, like, the most interesting thing to me is sort of, what does season three of this show look like? If it's not Wilson and Matt in Hell's kitchen fighting each other because that's what has always been at the core. So I'm very interested to see where the end of this show leaves off with the finale next week, and then where how it sets up season three.
Speaker 1: Here's my prediction. I do think I'm still gonna do the Matt. I think they have to do the thing where everybody knows Matt steeredevil okay, and then.
Speaker 3: He's about to be in a courtroom of cameras, so that would be very easy to set up.
Speaker 1: And then somehow for season three the bit has to be oh, that was just for whatever, like that really can't thing. Yeah, any hoops among us could truly which is which is a comics thing? Where then iron Fist took the dry level mantle and ran around while Matt Murdoch was like, hey, look it's not me. Look there's another guy. It looked he's right there. I don't know who it is, so I think that they I think that there has to be something like that for the next season for Matt.
Speaker 4: Also very fun way to bring back Danny Brand in a different kind of way, to have him basically take on that mantle and get to maybe do some cool stunts and kind of really like come back from that, you know, legendarily notoriously kind of poorly received performance, which is kind of funny because you know, back then Marvel didn't really have any poorly perceived performance, but now we have many, you know, like there's so much of it that that's kind of changed.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I'm very excited.
Speaker 4: I thought this was a banger episode Aaron Power power scaling wise, how do you feel like we got Karen Page?
Speaker 3: She ain't got no powers. She's getting caught all the time, she's got bad wigs.
Speaker 4: Right, you got white tig Guys, where's that tiny where's that tiny psychopath?
Speaker 3: Gone? She was very useful get her back? Okay?
Speaker 4: But like swordsman swordsman right, but like can Matt and power flickering Jessica who seemingly goes from like superpowered can throw a guy off a roof to normal woman's strength, not even strong Jessica at the gym strength. Can they really take on Kingpin and the a v TF? Or is it gonna be a legal victory?
Speaker 1: Can it not be?
Speaker 4: I don't know if it can be a power victory because they don't have the team or the powers.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is one of the things that I was thinking about, especially because Bullseye in this episode has a very nice sendoff.
Speaker 1: If that is the end.
Speaker 5: Of Women, that works really well. He he does his one good deed, He saves a life. He he doesn't even kill the assassin, he just like maims him and then he walks off as the cops arrive. That would be exactly perfect send off for that character. He's still alive, he.
Speaker 3: Can be very special presentation.
Speaker 5: I'm going to assume he's out. And if that's the case, then you really have Cherry and his band of you know, retirees who are fighting with the AARP cards and Jessica, like you said, who's sometimes powerful sometimes not, and Matt who's injured like this, this does open up that window. You know we've been talking about Luke.
Speaker 1: Are we wrong?
Speaker 5: Is there someone else who's going to show up and take on the costume for Matt at this point because he's an.
Speaker 4: Interesting well I will say, you know, they did say Elektra was supposed to come back, right, and then there was the is she cast?
Speaker 3: Is she not cast?
Speaker 4: But then her and the guy who plays Danny Rand they were both posting in the gym on the same day. In the comics, recently very popular arc The Legend chips At ask you who can go from being like the funniest, silliest writer to putting together these incredible story arcs. He did a Dead Evil run where Elektra was Dead Evil and it was super popular. It was really cool, and I do wonder and then there were times when they were both Dead Evel together. I wonder if there's at least one scene like that in C three, you know, kind of the idea of the Mantle. It could even become I guess, I don't know if they would do this. This is a little bit twenty sixteen CWU vibes and also very like it's very comic book coded, but more DC coded. They could also do something like Deceeeded with the Robins, where it's.
Speaker 1: Like multiple people are dead devil.
Speaker 4: We saw that with the Protest and then it could be interesting if we kind of get their Devils of.
Speaker 3: Hell's Kitchen and we have women doing it, and we have.
Speaker 4: White Tiger doing a version of it, and we have Matt and we have Danny. So I think there's ways to spread it out. But at the heart of why people love this show. It has always been that Wilson and Versus relationship. So I really feel like they've got to come out swinging with Spider Man with this Punisher special to set up what New York looks like after all of this and where we find them in season three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let's go to the Deadpool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's not many people are and take us through the check in. All right, So last week, Jason, you had Kingpin, Dan and Powell, Rosie, you had Governor McCaffrey, Mister Charles, and Dan, and I had decks to Caffrey and Dan. So okay, we we all were right with Dan. I think at some point we've all mentioned McCaffrey.
Speaker 3: We have, she's been saying so good for her, so.
Speaker 1: We we missed on that one.
Speaker 5: I assume she's not coming back, like it would be a weird I think twists like to have her get taken in the next episode.
Speaker 4: I think they might do something where like we see her on the TV talking about rescinding the charter or something, you know. But yeah, she's I don't think she's gonna die at this point because that was such a good moment for Deck so.
Speaker 5: I mean, like, do we just want to pick one more person? We've had a lot of on right, Yeah, I don't think we need three more.
Speaker 1: That would be unrealistic.
Speaker 4: Who's gonna die in the finale? Is the question, like if you're picking one character most? I think Dan was our big emotional death. Yeah, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: So I think.
Speaker 4: I don't know if anyone is gonna die in the finale because I feel like this is gonna be more focused on that kind of from battle. Maybe it's gonna be instead that people are revealed to have been like killed, you know, So it's more like the past people that they've killed. We're gonna be like, oh shit, they killed this guy, they imprisoned the auntie, you know, like more focusing on what's already been done.
Speaker 3: Than than necessarily a big, a big kill.
Speaker 1: I remain hopeful that that it will be Powell, Yes, yes, I mean hopeful. I just think like we're at a place with Powell where either he needs to ascend the villain ladder and become like a lot become like the chief of police, become like a lot worse, or he needs to like die because we're like in this middle ground where he's fucking terrible and we know the Kingpin is like teetering and he and in a post king Pin world, like this guy's got to face a million charges, So either like kill him now or make him a like a big bed level two for Daredevil.
Speaker 4: I was gonna Seeason three narratively. I do I like your idea because I would also just like to see him get killed. But I also do wonder if Matt's in the courtroom right and he's being Matt, it would be interesting to maybe see the AVT turn on him, like the anti vigils Lanti task force, like he goes too far. But my gut says, when Powell gets killed, I think it's gonna be Frank who does it. I just feel like he's the ultimate representation of that fake punish, a kind of mentality that Frank feels like has been like corrupted. Or it's gonna be Matt because that's his anti thesis in this moment, more so than even Wilson, because they have similarities, they have respect, Like, I don't know who would do it.
Speaker 3: I would love to see it.
Speaker 4: I could imagine a world where Karen does it, like at the end of the finale, just you know, a kind of like the courtroom gets settled, but she shoots him anyway, you know that kind of shit. Though, that would have made more sense with Dex. I think I guess somebody, a loved one could come in and kill one of the Vigilante task Force. Yeah, that is a very courtroom trope in movies in TV. Yeah, in sview, the kind of outside final moment that could be interesting. That could also be how we end with a cliffhanger on Wilson, if he walks out of the courtroom and somebody else tries to take him down. You know me, I'd be praying for a Laqua Cox. But I don't know if we're ever gonna get to see Echo again. But I think this is a harder deadpool, Aaron. If you're picking one person, who do you think is gonna be?
Speaker 5: I could definitely see Powell, maybe not dying, but what if he has some mysterious thing happened to him and he is brought back later as I'm not gonna say tombstone or someone, but he's brought back as like he's adopts the moniker of some MCU villain.
Speaker 3: I do feel like a high chance.
Speaker 4: I like that they already did Jigsaw, so probably not, though they do like to reimagine characters.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think you're right. I think some kind of shame. He can't be like Crossbones or someone. I mean, I think they'll.
Speaker 4: They'll find, you know, like they did with mister Charles. They'll find like a tiny character. Also, guys, I have to tell you something terrifying about mister Charles, right, So we talked about his like his introduction into the show and how he'd only been in one comic. But the comic was specifically a comic that they made to send to military active military, so it was.
Speaker 3: The American Armed Forces comic.
Speaker 4: So the guy that they have in this is like the evil government overseer, actually comes from like a military branded comic that Marvel would make. They're called custom comics. It's it's very famous. It's a great way to make money if you're a comic book creator. You can do them for not evil companies, but they do them for evil companies to like Lokeeda Martin. They also do them for like the NBA and a bunch of rad shit. But yeah, I realized that when I was rereading about him because I was like, where's this man gone? Because he was high on my death pool. But now I know he knows Jessica and Luke. I think they're keeping him around. I think he's gonna be valancing.
Speaker 3: Okay. I think fine.
Speaker 4: If one person is gonna die, maybe like the one judge, the one judge who seems to be like realizing that this whole thing's a scam, I'm going for her.
Speaker 3: I think she could just get killed by it.
Speaker 1: The one who sits in the middle, the.
Speaker 3: One who sits in the middle. Maybe this isn't good to be like a corrupt judge, you know. I think she's my most likely.
Speaker 1: It's funny like the things that I google while watching it, and one of my googles was why are three judges?
Speaker 5: Like when does this happen that three judges would be and it's like very s Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Actually, I gotta say, if somebody in our discord or who's listening to this, who is a fan, is like a legal person, please hit us up, because I would love to have some legal vision on this final episode.
Speaker 3: I want to know just how illegal everything that's doing is.
Speaker 1: I I'm am I okay to say no one. I kind of think nobody dies. I think that could be.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's Matt can't die. I don't think Jessica will die. I think they've hinted too much at Jessica and Luke. They've mentioned Luke now, like, I think we're gonna get somebody there. I think Dex is probably not even in this final episode. And you know, Jason, you brought it up like Matt and Fisk. Something has to happen. They can't both continue existing in this way at the end of next episode. But I don't know if they're going to kill either of them. I like our discussion the other week when we were like confisc kind of be a you know, in the Shadows crime lord who every once in a while comes in and crushes somebody's head just to remind you how strong he is. But then he goes back to like you know, building Spider Slayers or whatever, Like yeah.
Speaker 3: I like that's he's cool.
Speaker 4: He's kind of your like evil Nick furyed like they need to explain how something is happening that like, yeah, probably Wills and Fisk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm gonna say nobody dies, Okay, I think you'll correct other predictions. Let's try and have some predictions for season three. What do we think season three? I've already put my thing out there. I like, I think either Matt or Wilson or both have to leave New York. And I think Matt is going to have to live under the public knowledge that he is Daredevil, and he's gonna try and either own it or pretend like that was just a courtroom ploy in that he's not actually Daredevil.
Speaker 4: Okay, I think you're right. I also I also think this is going to be a season season three or third season. I think it's going to have to lean more into like the supernatural or the cosmic to raise the stakes on who the villain is, because I do think it's inevitable that we will get some kind of Defenders team up or reunion or something. And so I think understanding what is worse than Wilson Fisk. I think the hint that mister Charles gave that you're like a small fish in an even smaller pond in New York and you don't really understand what's out there. I would love to know who fills the power vacuum in New York, Like, what does that look like? Is it dead level going up against government corruption as Valentina comes in and tries to take over the freeport. Is it a different criminal that we have, like a different crime boss that we've seen. Is it the hand do we know are going to be in have already been in De Devil, have already been in this world, but are going to be in Spider Man.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm very interested to see that.
Speaker 4: But I think a big part of it is going to be raising those villain stakes, because really Wilson is the ultimate dead Levil villain, So to not have him present, we're going to have to work out what makes these heroes tick, what are they scared of, and why do they need to come out of these kind of comfortable lives that they're living, other than Matt, whose life's never comfortable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, here's my prediction for season three. This is this is my three drinks in at the end of the night kind of prediction. I think, and I'm going to talk Spider Man two. I think Matt is not in Brand New Day. I think, Jason, you have a really good point, and we're like, Matt's got to leave. He's not going to show back up in New York in another Spider Man movie to help fight the Hand. I think we can assume it's the Hand that Spider Man's fighting. We've got Hulk in there, we know. I think instead they're going to introduce the Defenders in brand New Day.
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna get Luke fan So that makes help right to help.
Speaker 5: Build momentum into season three of Daredevil, which we'll start with Matt somewhere else and it will be very Defender's focus, continuing the fight against the Hand, and then that will return to the city somehow to help turn the tide against the Hand. I think he comes back with Electra. But like I, it is just it is disappointing because I think Daredevil will not be Inborn Again. We already had him in One Spider Man.
Speaker 4: I think you're right that I think they're gonna use Frank as that big connection in the movie. But I would love to see because you know, if Luke comes back, right, he is not gonna want to see some white guy going around shooting up the wrong, shooting up Brooklyn, right, So that is a reason that he would come out. And you know something we never really got from the Fenders stuff, and it could give Danny rand a chance to kind of be a little.
Speaker 3: Bit less uncrul, you know.
Speaker 4: But if you actually had Luke Is the hero for Hire, and you had them out there as that team like Powerman and Iron Fist, and you did something that was a little bit more street level, that could be a very fun cameo that ties all of this together for Spider Man.
Speaker 3: Aaron, I like that a lot. I hadn't considered that. I like that a lot too.
Speaker 1: Well, Wow, we've only were heading towards the end here with Daredevil Born Again. On upcoming episodes of X ray Vision, we are going to be covering the end of Daredevil Born Again and of course some more mall Shadow Lord episodes. We're gonna be dipping into the boys here and there. And that's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 4: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: A supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 4: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan, and Bay Wack.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 4: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator,