Speaker 1: On this episode of The Heat Check, we continue our Eastern Conference preview and we are going to be looking at the Central Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indy and the Milwaukee Box. Oh baby, is anybody excited about.
Speaker 2: This fucking division?
Speaker 3: Not me?
Speaker 1: I guess you could say the Milwaukee Bucks are bringing everybody stop gum.
Speaker 2: So let's get right into it.
Speaker 1: William drop that generic ass beat that should be Rihanna.
Speaker 3: Breaks breaking down all the biggest NBA storylines, Lord Children, The heat Check, The heat Check, It's just Crak's the best podcast covering all the drama around the association.
Speaker 1: All right, let's start with the Chicago Bulls. Chicago Bulls just living on their past success.
Speaker 2: They don't care.
Speaker 1: They don't care, folks, how many games they win. They don't care about a goddamn thing except for money. Key editions, Javon Carter, Tory Craig Key, Subtractions, Patrick Beverly, Derek Jones Junior.
Speaker 2: I don't think either any of.
Speaker 1: Those four players are meaningful to any roster, and I like Javon Carter.
Speaker 2: What could you say about the Bulls? Really? What can you say.
Speaker 1: About them when they barely make a play in tournament and Their biggest offseason move is Tory Craig. Tory Craig, Oh my god, gross, People forget about the Bulls and that they had this commanding lead on the heat and the play in tournament with six minutes left and the fourth quarter. It was all very cute, and then nobody could hit an open Look. You had zach Lavine missing shots, holding onto the ball too long, and then the Miami he'd end up going from almost getting bounced to making it to the finals. This Chicago Bulls team, I'm sorry to say, if you don't already know, you're probably not a Chicago Bulls fan. They don't care about a goddamn thing except for packing out the UC their arena. They don't care about winning, they don't care about contending, not gonna make moves. They fucking extended Nicola Vusovich, one of the worst defenders in the league, paid him his dough. You got demartirosan Old, I like Damar. You got zach Lavine, one leg bucket getter, not playing defense. You got Lussovich. He can get a double double for you on any given night, but he's not a plus player in any regard. I love Alice Cruzo, But goddamn, Chicago, do something, do something, make a move, trade some guys, not just extend players that don't help you win.
Speaker 2: I'm annoyed at them.
Speaker 1: They have been living off of the fumes of the Jordan era for two generations now. Or like, oh yeah bulls like very important logo, like very raucous crowd. They sell games out. But like you want to know why, Jordan is the goat. He took a forgettable franchise and made them so great that they still.
Speaker 2: Get a pass multiple decades later.
Speaker 1: We think Bulls, We think Jordan, and that is they've done one thing since, which is get Derrick Rose for a quick little season where he had the MVP. Here's where the Bulls are at in a nutshell. Patrick Williams, according to Zach Lowe, is looking for a two hundred million dollar extension.
Speaker 2: Are you serious? No kidding, I'm not joking you.
Speaker 1: This is a guy averaging nine point seven points per game and four rebounds per game trying to get trying to get two hundred million. This is a guy I don't even like for twenty million a year, let alone. Whatever two hundred million over five year works out too. That's what is that that's forty million? Oh my fucking god. They have some nice pieces. They have some I guess I like the Martin Rosen. He's a bucket. He is getting kind of old. He is languishing in Chicago. Someone save him, Someone go get him. Caruso still one of the best defenders in the league. Lavine is still a bucket ish twenty five, five and four and seventy seven games. I mean the bulls people will tell you, oh, you know, people were ragging on Zach Lavin. He wasn't nearly as bad as everybody says. He was pretty good. Actually, like when you have to defend your superstar for not being as bad as everybody's making him out to be.
Speaker 2: He wasn't great. He wasn't great. Io Di soon moved.
Speaker 1: They're hoping for major strides from him, and I like ioe a lot Dale and Terry. They're hoping for major strides from him. And my argument to those people who are expecting that is okay, and then what like, let's let's act like I owed desumuh. I like quote bit and Dale and Terry, who I like Quarteba both exceed expectations.
Speaker 2: What are you then?
Speaker 1: What is this team, then are you a six seed? Congratulations you did not have to go to play a tournament? Gross, Like, what do you what are you are?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 1: Are you a set?
Speaker 2: I don't even think you're that.
Speaker 1: I think you're like an eight or a nine seed.
Speaker 2: That's the issue.
Speaker 1: This is a team that just is totally fine with being mediocre. They are totally fine with being a five hundred team if that means that they can compete on a night to night basis and be anyone on a given Tuesday in the regular season. But they are a mile from winning anything of no, and if I'm a fucking fan of that team, I am living.
Speaker 2: We now turn two, the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Speaker 1: They may moves actually key additions Max Strus in the trade.
Speaker 2: I think it was a sign in trade George Yang bang bang Niang.
Speaker 1: Free agent Amani Baits, who I absolutely am in love with.
Speaker 2: Key subtractions. I actually think Chedty Osmond is on this team.
Speaker 1: I think Cheddy Osman's still there either way. If he's there, if he's not there, not relevant to my breakdown. I kind of think the Calves are a forgotten team. They were a wagon in the regular season. A lot of people last year were like, Ooh, Calve's about to make noise. Donovan Mitchell, Darius Garland, back court of the future, bucket getters, guys that are able to protect the rim, Evan Mobley, Cheered Allen, etcetera, etcetera. You had Donovan Mitchell as a legit MVP candidate last year averaged Jashia thirty game. You have a deep bench, ish, not a lot of wings, decent coaching, They've got assets that they could move to at another piece that they had to, and yet guys.
Speaker 2: Like Bill Simmons are hammering they're under their wins.
Speaker 1: Paul Pierce is saying that Donald Mitchell can't wait to get the fuck out of Cleveland, which I wouldn't blame him if that was true.
Speaker 2: So what gives? What gives? I think the hype surrounding.
Speaker 1: The Calves has been about how Donald Mitchell doesn't want to be there. If Donovan Mitchell had signed an extension, we'd be feeling a lot different about this CALVS team, will we not. Bill Simmons says it's the worst kept secret in the NBA. But remember Damian Lollard to Miami was a done deal. So until it's done, it's not done, and until Donovan Mitchell flees Cleveland, he is.
Speaker 2: A Cavalier period period.
Speaker 1: I'm very skeptical, especially considering that Donovan Mitchell probably doesn't want to turn down a massive contract that only Cleveland can offer him. Donovan Mitchell is a superstar. Does he fit with Darius Garland? I don't know. I mean, we've done the CJ McCollum Damian Lodard thing before. Maybe maybe Darius Garland gets traded at some point if Donovan Mitchell staves. Darius Garland's an All Star though made his first All Star last year. Evan Mobley hoping to bounce back.
Speaker 2: Obviously one of.
Speaker 1: The most intriguing players in the NBA right now, and the future of the Calves really hinges on him. Kind of a sophomore year for him got cooked, absolutely barbecued in the playoffs. He's gonna need to develop an outside shot, even a mid range shot, to some sort of consistent level in order to be a player that the Calves can rely on. And also you add then Jared Allen, who on one hand phenomenal player for this team. But it's kind of the issue, kind of feels like the odd man out. I like him, do I like him on the calves, I don't know. The roster feels a little tricky to me. What he does well overlaps with Evan Mobley a little too much actually. I mean there's been rumors about them moving on from Jared Allen. If you move him for like a guy maybe like Ojobi or maybe Pascal Siakam, that actually maybe makes the team a lot better. They add Max Strews, this team's gonna have shooting now. They didn't have a lot of three point shooting last year. And now you got Strewice, and now you got kni Yang Bang Bang Kniang.
Speaker 2: I like saying it like that.
Speaker 1: Most importantly, the young gun Amani Baits. He's an X factor for this team. He could be special. Remember he was a top recruit. He was like the top high schooler in the country at one point. So you add you have Lavert, you have Kniang, and you have Max Struice on top of the money Baits. I think that's a solid little bench. I hate a coral though. He's gotta go, He's gotta go. The upside of this team is probably where they were last year three four in the East. If they're top three at the deadline. Maybe they make a move. Are they a contender? No, but the East not super deep. It's kind of Milwaukee and Boston's to lose.