Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. He'll that for me.
Speaker 2: I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 1: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edith state is that?
Speaker 2: Whoo whoo? And no.
Speaker 1: Dan and Tye, welcome back to the solid verbal. Boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrandt.
Speaker 3: You will hear Dan's beautiful voice here momentarily because this is an excerpt from.
Speaker 1: College Football Thursdays.
Speaker 3: It's the live show we do on Spotify every Thursday five pm East, two pm West. You can listen to it for free and live next Thursday courtesy offliverble dot com slash Spotify. My voice sounds differently right now. I don't have my normal mic. That is because I am recording this on my onboard Mac microphone from a closet of a hotel room in Manhattan. Dan and I are both here. Say hello, Dan, Yo, we are getting amped, We're getting psyched. We were getting prepped for our live show tomorrow. College Football The Game Show Live Chelsea Music Hall, eight pm Eastern Time. Grab your tickets if you're going to be in the area. If you haven't done so already. This excerpt here. We expanded on the Shanaia Saturday concept that we trotted out on our Week six preview episode, which you could also hear now if you go on back to our RSS podcast feed and downloaded in your app of choice. Teams that have impressed us, teams that have not impressed us so far through this college football season. We did this show because we're here in person live at Spotify HQ overlooking all of Manhattan, so a really cool experience. Was great to do it in person. We got so much great interactivity. We hope if you weren't able to join us this Thursday, that you can do so next week. In the meantime, if we don't see you at the live show, which again Soliverblive dot com tickets still available, and if you weren't able to join the Spotify live show, we hope we can see you next week in the chat on the virtual stage. And if not, if nothing more, talk to you again after week six to talk about all that was in the world of college football. Have a great weekend. ESPN did this thing. Gosh, I don't know how long ago. They still do it. They do it for basketball, they do it for football. They'll do it about week eight in football season, and they come up with a catchy bit of a literation to label separation Saturday, show me Saturday if there's maybe like a big Bazoo game or something like. They have these I don't know, these hackneyed line literative nicknames, just these lines they trot out. We thought many years ago we could be a little bit more creative. So we do it every Saturday, or we do it in preparation for every Saturday.
Speaker 1: Excuse me.
Speaker 3: And this week I've seen some folks posting in the chat here they know what's coming here.
Speaker 1: Do you want to lay the groundwork for this game? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Once again, we're a month into the season and they are all sorts of results that would have us thinking, oh my god, this team's frisky, this team's good, this team's excellent, this team has what it takes to do incredible things. But it's based on one game, two games, and I'm not sold on really anything dramatic a month in. But there are some teams that I've been impressed with, but also there are some results that just I don't know, they don't impress me much.
Speaker 4: Sut don't impress me much.
Speaker 2: So I'm here to ask you a number of questions, and I have a number of teams that I'd like to review.
Speaker 1: Do these teams impress you much?
Speaker 4: Shut don't impress name much?
Speaker 1: Or do they not? Shout out Eileen Edwards Akaashania Twain.
Speaker 4: That don't impress name?
Speaker 1: Just one more time to really drive it home. No, I hear you.
Speaker 2: I wish she sang an alternate version of that song talking about what she is impressed by. Yeah, that would have been nice for her soundboard, so we could just hit that impresses me, John, But she didn't.
Speaker 1: So would you like to start with some teams? I would absolutely love to.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the Texas Longhorns ahead of this, I mean we talked about the news of quin yours returning the totality of the Texas Longhorns twenty twenty two experience. Does it impress you? The close loss to Alabama, some slow starts, some defensive improvement at times, some development of receivers obviously, some interesting ways to get John Robinson the ball, but also you're tossing in a loss to Texas tech in there, does Texas impress you much?
Speaker 3: Texas is very much thematic with that song? Okay, impress me much.
Speaker 1: There is a line in.
Speaker 2: There about Jordan, about Jatavian Sanders, about.
Speaker 3: Who No, I mean, you're you're one of those guys likes to shine his machine. Oh okay, make me take off shoes. Are you looking at buff zone dot com right now? Now?
Speaker 1: This is this is Google?
Speaker 3: Something on Google. You make me take off my shoes before you let me get in. Okay, it's hit or miss with Texas. It's a little bit of both. I've been impressed with a little bit we've seen a Quinn yours, but very little bit that we seen a quin yours before he got hurt.
Speaker 1: I hear.
Speaker 3: I'm very impressed by that version of Texas, and I think from what we've seen so far after that Alabama game, granted we're going to turn a blind eye to the defense for the purposes of my argument, I think, all things considered, I am at least impressed by the offense at Texas seemingly taking a bit of a step forward, seemingly incorporating more weapons as they've gotten healthier, as they've kind of grown into this sark system. I feel like, at least on that level, I've been impressed. Defensively, No So that's the hit or misquality. Right.
Speaker 1: It's great you've got the shiny car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there is a qualifier there that makes me not as impressed. I'm right down the middle. I am both impressed and not impressed about Texas Longhorns.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, let's I think I'm going to go with impressed. I'm just because I'm saying either something impressed as you or it doesn't. I'm going to say I'm impressed, not within the context of Texas's expectations for being excellent, but impress that going to a backup quarterback as Hudson Card has gotten healthier, he's looked better and better, and to not really lose a step with your backup quarterback who looks of starting quality, I'm impressed.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely impressed.
Speaker 3: By the way Catherine in the chat says, just to kind of put a fine point on this thing. Yeah, things that don't impress Shanaiah per the song are rocket scientists having a car in Brad Pitt. Okay, So just like kind of put that away and we come back to it, do we have to.
Speaker 2: But it's a lot to unpack there, because I think having a car can be impressive. I mean, you might have your act together. Brad Pitt, I don't know. He hasn't had a great year necessarily, hasn't. I'm not that impressed with the things that have come out about Bread and don't impress name that I did like his performance and once upon a time in Hollywood, right, rocket scientist, I'm pretty impressed with, Like, how to be honest with you, it's an impressive We have.
Speaker 3: Rocket scientists who listen to the show, so we have to say nice things about them.
Speaker 1: What's what's all team here? All Miss?
Speaker 2: Does Ole Miss impress you much? Coming off of their win in a different kind of way?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: It's not throwing the ball down field, It's not electricity with speedy receivers all over the place and play making quarterbacks, but defense and running the ball and being creative within those two things?
Speaker 1: Does Ole Miss impress you much?
Speaker 3: Ole Miss is favored in every game still on their schedule, and they're only a one touchdown dog at home per some of these projections against Alabama when they play second week of November. So the stats are pressed by Ole Miss and I am as well. I've said this on the podcast a number of times now, I'll reiterate it again. I like the running game. I like the defense that is almost completely counters. Yeah, that is almost completely counter to what old Miss used to be, which was they're going to throw it a million times and maybe play a little bit of defense. Yeah, this team is different now under Lane.
Speaker 2: See, I think they've quietly run it really well. I mean you look at some of the recent names, obviously Henry Parrish, Snoop Connor, Jerry and Ely two sports star like they've quietly had those guys who've been playmakers.
Speaker 1: How about Dexter mccluster. If you just want to sit around naming ole Miss running back, talk some wildcat quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just talk guys buff zooned dot com. I think ole Miss has actually done a really nice job being balanced. And perhaps they're less so this year, and perhaps there's less trust with Jackson Dart at this stage in his career with ole Miss running a more balanced offense. But look whin how you can win and ole Miss's defense was a nightmare three four years ago and right now they were full on, very effective and strong against Kentucky, and I think they will continue to do so. It's just at this point, The question is if they do have to throw the ball, if you can put eight dudes in the box most of the game, what do they look like in terms of that outpitch throwing the ball downfielder adjusting at halftime with Jackson Dart, I'm impressed by Ole Miss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am as well.
Speaker 3: The thing to watch with Old Miss though, and I suspect we will see it a little bit more as we go through their schedule now the rest of the way. Maybe not this week at Vandy, maybe a little bit next week against Auburn, but certainly as we get into like LSU and Alabama and even Mississippi State a little bit later on. Sure, the one thing that's really lagged behind on the defensive side is the rush defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, last year too, for at least the first half of the year behind.
Speaker 3: So they will play some teams with good offensive lines. They will play some teams that could run the ball, and that I think will be a pretty big test for him. But we're I think we're in agreement. We're both impressed by All Miss.
Speaker 1: We're both impressed.
Speaker 2: Although let's like the teams that they've played thus far are who exactly right, It's UCF.
Speaker 3: It's a guy named Troy, buff Zone dot Com, Troy, Central, Arkansas, Georgia Tech, Tulsa, and Kentucky.
Speaker 2: So we look at that and we say, all right, they beat Kentucky. Do we know how impressed we should be with the Kentucky win? Not fully, but I'd like to see more of a catalog of wins at this point.
Speaker 1: So I'm impressed, maybe not impressed much.
Speaker 3: How about that that sounds let us know in the chat, mister pizza coolisas ain't played nobody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it's a relatively reasonable criticism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jason says, eight dudes, okay.
Speaker 1: Eight dudes in the box. Yeah I understand.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, wheels are turning in the comments section, we all get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw the first part and not the last part. What's our next team?
Speaker 2: Okay, let me look at the list. I made up my haphazard list. How about the Michigan Wolverines. So Michigan with a very nice win. I will say, it's still a very nice win to go to Iowa City, a place they haven't won in what seventeen years? They haven't won in Kinnick since two thousand and five.
Speaker 1: House of horrors.
Speaker 2: The expectation was they were going to struggle to score, but they managed to, you know, by the end of the game, get to twenty seven points and one in a sensical way. They didn't push too much against a strong Iowa defense, and their own defense did absolutely what it needed to do against Iowa to win that game.
Speaker 1: That said, didn't.
Speaker 2: Really play anybody in the non conference portion of their schedule back and forth against Maryland. So right now against maybe the worst offense relative to winning and expectations in America Iowa. Has Michigan impressed you much with how they've performed against their schedule, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, you and I had a lengthy discussion where I believe you called me a silly bitch last week because that look, look, I just I just want to get that on the record. We have it on the record elsewhere. I just for the Spotify folks that are here in attendance.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying you are a silly bitch. I'm saying you were acting like I was acting. Okay, Okay, important clarifications. No, I mean they look fine at Iowa. I thought they would look a little bit better on offense, but beggar scampy choosers.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: JJ McCarthy was not put in a position where he had to go out there and win the football game he was calling. He was composed, the game plans seem good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Granted the defense did most of the work or didn't have to do much of the.
Speaker 1: Work right at Spencers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know how you know the what the proper construction is to label the Iowa offense and how it performs, But you know, the defense did its job, kept that one relatively low scoring on the Iowa side, as most defenses do. And JJ McCarthy was good, played within himself. I do think there was a part of me wanting more from the Michigan offense, and I am curious to see as they get into some better games, name Lee, Penn State, and Ohio State, if it's something that comes back to bite them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going to say they don't impress me much. And it's not because of anything they've specifically done. It's there's something that it's just looking at their schedule. So you beat that non conference schedule, so you beat Iowa with somehow the worst Iowa offense in history. You know, worse than some other pretty notable ones beating Mary and by you know, seven points or whatever. I'm going to say, what Michigan has done has not impressed me much. I think they are impressive, if that makes any sense, But their accomplishments don't impress me much.
Speaker 1: How about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we've got a comment here in the chat that Michigan has handled business at every turn. There are countless examples of good teams letting bad ones hang around this year. That's true, and I think that in and of itself is grounds to be impressed. I think, look my takeaway after the Iowa game, and I said this on a radio show that I did with some folks back home.
Speaker 1: I could see Michigan being vulnerable.
Speaker 3: I can see I can see a world in which there's defense that can truly hold down JJ McCarthy confuse him that you're left wanting that extra gear for your.
Speaker 1: Remembering is it in a big game?
Speaker 3: That being said, yeah, they're undefeated. That being said, they've taken care of business, as our comments are said, at every turn. And so it's hard to not be impressed by Michigan. That doesn't mean that I don't have questions, it's about you know what it looks like the rest of the way.
Speaker 2: So basically what you're saying, and if I may put words in your mouth, Penn State or Illinois before Ohio State, Penn State or Illinois. As for who that team is when you say eventually there will be a defense, who X, Y and Z. Illinois defense has been very good against not a lot of teams, and Penn State has looked at times strong on offense, Auburn game, at times strong on defense, Northwestern game.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I mean per the sp plus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are three top ten defenses remaining on Michigan schedule in the form of Penn State, Ohio State, and I cannot believe we're saying Illinois but Illinois.
Speaker 2: We're on the Walters wagon here at the solid verbal Yeah.
Speaker 1: So all right, so not impressed.
Speaker 3: I am next team, by the way, at the answers Illinois, Illinois look ahead spot Brett bi Illema, big ten weird, Iowa tattoo.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying right now, there's something about that game that should be very scary to Michigan fans. I'm on the record right now, and if Michigan blows out Illinois. I was never on the record.
Speaker 1: You're making this okay? Oh ex so bitch, the USC Trojans, the Men of Troy. Do they impress you much?
Speaker 2: Another team who is undefeated, who has taken care of business at every turn. Now, there are some underlying reasons to say, I don't know if this is a sustainable way of winning. Some close scores at halftime, a lot of turnovers, which again, if you can turn a team over, you should, and that's what good teams do.
Speaker 1: Are you impressed by USC.
Speaker 2: Or USC's accomplishments or however you're interpreting that question, you and Shania, me and Shania.
Speaker 3: If only because I said I am impressed by all the other teams and half impressed by Texas, I will say no on USC, okay, for a couple of reasons. First off, the defense. The questions about defense persist. It doesn't go anywhere, right, it's still giving up points. Yeah, you can score on USC. You can push them around up front, you know, Like I actually think this week against Washington State it's going to be an interesting go buy for US because I don't think's got the best offense, but he's got interesting players on offense who could make some magic against USC.
Speaker 1: So from the defensive side of the ball, no, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Offensively, they were always going to be really good with the players that they've had, and so it's hard to impress me on offense because I set a very high bar before the season, right, So I think on the overall sentiment side, I would say, no.
Speaker 4: That don't impress the name.
Speaker 3: No, No, I mean they're turning the ball over like crazy in a good way, right.
Speaker 1: The defense is turning opposing off The.
Speaker 3: Defense is having a lot of success when it comes to turning the ball over or getting turnovers, and that in and of itself is really really good for you know, your prospects of winning. It's going to bode well for them. I don't know if that's sustainable. Oftentimes it is not, but that part of their defense has been good. But they're still giving up a lot of points, still giving up yards.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: In order for them, I think to really be taken seriously as like a true contender in this thing and not just a really good offense with a lot of nil money. Sure, you got to play a little bit more defense. They could get there. By the way they could get there before the end of the season. But they're not there yet.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they're going to get there in that specific way by the end of the year. I'm actually going to say USC is impressive. And I go back and forth on this, I'm going to say they're impressive because what they go last year, four and eight?
Speaker 1: What are they right now? I believe they're undefeated.
Speaker 2: They're undefeated, They're five and l They struggled our offense last year, they were injured, they had guys leaving the program, There was discord within the locker room. There were all sorts of issues that plagued the USC. Hire a new coach, bring in all these players, and sure there is a mercenary aspect to USC and the way that they've constructed this roster.
Speaker 1: But to throw all these players together.
Speaker 2: Right, to throw last year's Oklahoma quarterback, to throw last year's pit wide receiver, to throw last year's Oregon running back, all in the same locker room and expected to succeed. They've done it immediately. Now that's on offense. Caleb Williams. Does he hold onto the ball too long? Perhaps?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is it going to cause four issues against Utah or whoever?
Speaker 1: They end up playing.
Speaker 2: If they end up in the PAC twelve Championship game, sure, but if they're going from a program in complete disrepair under Clay Helton to a program that looks like a ten win program over the course of a matter of months, I mean you have to give some credit there, right, Even if the underlying numbers and stats are not necessarily sustainable.
Speaker 1: It's still impressive. They'll blow it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's Notre Dame in Utah. Oh right, you know they'll blow it. Yeah, but it's year one now. I know their expectations, given the high profile nature of the hire and bringing in Caleb Williams and Mario Williams and Jordan Att all these guys, but certainly winning is better than losing. It is so that impresses me that throwing in all of those pieces and ending up with the zero in the lost column, I'm impressed.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Sam urges a little bit of patience in saying that we should wait to December to truly judge where all things are on the US. See Alexander in the chat saying Caleb Williams is impressive. Yeah, I would agree, because Caleb Williams is really, really good, certified dude, I would encourage folks, if you are ever so inclined, send in your speaker requests now, if you've got something to say on this matter, or if you've got picks that you want to give us as part of ty versus the world. What we're going to do here in just a little bit. We've got a lot to cover yet. On our Week six show, I want to throw out Clemson to you. Okay, where do we stand on Clemson. I'm impressed.
Speaker 2: I'm impressed with Clemson because I'm willing to throw out recent history with Clemson. I'm willing to throw things out. They're winning games, they're beat up on defense, their corners gave up a ton against Wake Forest. I'm not going to say I'm impressed necessarily with the results. I think I'm impressed with finding different ways to win, to beat NC State like they did back and forth early on. The defense, tightened up the offensive game plan I think was pretty sound. I don't think Clemson is on the level of Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State. I think they're a tier a tier and a half below. But I think all things considered, it could have been a worse start. They could have lost to Wake, they could have lost to NC State, they could have played and I know they were pretty close to Georgia Tech early on, which is not necessarily the best result, but that was Week one whatever.
Speaker 1: I'm willing to throw out a lot of that.
Speaker 2: I'm not impressed with the five star rating that was attached to DJU coming out of high school, but again, it's not really his fault necessarily. I think they're winning in spite of the coordinators leaving and all that kind of stuff. I'm going to say they impressed me, but not necessarily within the context of Clemson fan expectations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I'm not impressed with wide receiving core no, but I'm pretty much impressed with everything else. And I think you're right to point out DJU five star. But DJU has been a lot better this year.
Speaker 1: He has been.
Speaker 3: Dju is not turning the ball over the way he did a year ago. He's got an eleven to one touchdown to interception ratio, sixty five percent of his passes are completed. Will Shipley when they use him as doing an effective job, I think they're doing a good enough job. I like what they're doing with DJU. By the way, in the running game, I like that we're seeing a little bit more designed runs for him. He's not going to blow anybody away with his speed, but he's a big dude. He's big dude to bully over. He can get those hard yards and I think that's really important. So I think they're kind of growing into this thing as they go with new coordinators and some new faces across the board there. For Clemson, defensively, they're stout. They're not as good as I think we thought they might be. Like we gave the stat out about a week ago, how they're not necessarily generating the pressure right, and they're also giving up a lot in the intermediate passing game, like you're just very good at doing whatever it is that they do, but they're not necessarily a havoc team. Yeah, So I think that makes them impressive across the board. I think they are getting better, and that's what impresses me the most about the Tigers, the fact that there is still room to grow here.
Speaker 1: And if you look at.
Speaker 3: The schedule, I mean, look, there's not a whole lot of teams on here that really frighten me. I think Clemson's probably better than most of these teams. I also don't think Clemson is impregnable. I think one of these teams, whether it's at Notre Dame or you know, a weird game at Florida State in a couple of weeks, like I could see that being an interesting scenario for Clemson where you know, maybe things don't go their way and suddenly they're trailing late in the game.
Speaker 1: But I think generally I'm pretty impressed by this team.
Speaker 2: Could I jump in real quick, awesome use of impregnable, like you absolutely nailed it.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I had to look it up to make sure that you didn't talk about somebody not being able to get pregnant or.
Speaker 3: WYDI we're talking about buffs that would be impregnate.
Speaker 2: That's I understand what you're saying. But I'm just saying, credit, where credits? Do you absolutely nail that?
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: M