Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of conges trend Pricing. That one courtesy of Vanadium Silver on the discord. I think, yeah, new York City congestionrend pricing. Thank you Vanadian Silver. We talk congestion pricing on tomorrow's episode.
Speaker 2: But just hats off.
Speaker 1: To you in New York and go fuck yourself the New York Post for all the scare mongering they're doing around that.
Speaker 2: This guy fucking stabbed a guy. Man, he's so mad about congestion pricing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go on, subway stab because of congestion pricing.
Speaker 2: Man, Oh my god. It's so depressing that that shit works.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, don't don't read the opinions of the Look, there's got to be a better way to just get your sports scores and some terrible opinions on sports.
Speaker 1: That's right, And you can just do the best thing that the New York Post has is the headlines and you can just take them in while walking past them. You don't need to actually buy the page.
Speaker 3: And you could do better. Just think about the news and think of a pun you can do. You can do better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right. My name is Jack and I'm thrilled to be joined by Andrew T.
Speaker 2: What up.
Speaker 1: Miles is out? He's yeah, the wildfires are affecting a lot of people. I'm gonna just let him kind of tell his story when he gets back, but you know, sending lots of love, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure you all are as well.
Speaker 1: Uh and yeah, I mean super producer Justin is still out like a lot of people still without power. A lot of people have been evacuated. We've got somebody at our house who has evacuated. Andrew, I think you got some.
Speaker 3: Gut incoming, particularly in the middle of this record according to theirs, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but are you Have you gotten out?
Speaker 2: Much like have you? Are you? Are you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm really lucky that I'm in Echo Park in that.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Number one, my air quality has always been bad. But number two, I'm just like in a really a really urbanized part of LA so that the fires, Like, I'm not in wildfire danger and if not not, I guess anything could happen. I don't want to say not and fay in that way, but like you know, it's it's the I'm not in that part. So I've been lucky to solidarity and snacks, the Mutual Aid group that I've tried to do as much as I can with has been we've been able to We usually concentrate on skied Row anyway, so we were able to get our hands on a thousand masks. Many of them are still in my car right now, but they won't be by the time this comes out. Actually, And so oh yeah, I was out on skid Row last night, getting people masks, getting people water. It's a little weird the sort of situation with the need because obviously need and sort of secondary tertiary needs because of the fire have increased everywhere. But yeah, it's it's like an ever changing situations. So even as I say this, things might be different by the time this comes out. But currently the sort of main shelters at the Pasadena Convention Center, and I think they just actually closed the one at Pan Pacific Park and are moving supplies out.
Speaker 2: But don't quote me on this because everything keeps changing.
Speaker 3: But there's anyway, there's there's sort of a lot of immediate need for people in shelters, partially because just there's only so much space and logistical distribution and like things like food can't keep forever and things like that. So I'm hesitant to even say what the immediate needs are. But I think the in the coming days in weeks is when like real need is going to start like becoming very clear, and hopefully people continue.
Speaker 1: To pay attention and be because yeah, there there's been like an outpouring of from like across the country if people being like how can I help? And yeah, that is everything, and I'm just hoping just kind of want to tell people like pump the brakes and just like keep that energy up when it's like no longer in the news, like people actually are like now settling into having to deal with what this is, and like the.
Speaker 3: Flyers aren't even out, like you know, it's not like we're not in the aftermath and no aftermath and there isn't really anything not anything, sorry, but there's not like a specific thing that you can like immediately do that's helpful. I'm repeating myself from the future now. But one thing I will say is, especially in this stage of the internet, and it's easier than ever to like move money around if you can try to do some research on where to send your resources because like well funded and you know the places you've heard of your red clrooss not for this situation, but your planned parenthoods are typically uh, in my opinion, the best way for you to send key resources. Yeah, figure out what you believe in, and you can find a direct way to do that to help with that.
Speaker 2: And it's easier than ever to do that. That's what I will say.
Speaker 1: I'm the type of idiot who when the wind like just you being like and obviously the fires are still raging and like zero percent contained, like the fire the winds have stopped blowing this morning, and like my brain is immediately like, well that was scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well we are on the slope of hopefully although yeah, the weather report is a little wind back up, yeah exactly, yeah, but like we we are hopefully at the.
Speaker 2: Part of starting to be able to contain it.
Speaker 3: I mean this, you know, kind of goes with something where ought to talk about too.
Speaker 2: But like just the general like right wing finger pointing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's like nothing anyone, there's no like listen, even your little Trump Nazi fire brigades wouldn't have been able to do anything against the wind and the underlying drought conditions in southern California.
Speaker 1: So unless they were like really like working against client, like taking direct client action, you know, to go maybe.
Speaker 3: As far as like Trump based actions go. I suppose this might be a little science fiction, but I think it works.
Speaker 2: I do think.
Speaker 3: Ah, you know, if you don't care about collateral damage, there's there's some amount of bombs you could have dropped on the fire that would have put it out, started other fires probably, but you could have had would have been certainly seen like less of a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talk on tomorrow's episode a little bit about the role of the police.
Speaker 2: I think we talked about it two days ago.
Speaker 1: Also, this idea that the police funding is kicked up while firefighter funding was kept about the same slightly lessened, at a time when fire danger is growing and crime is dropping. But yeah, the police interjecting themselves into the story being like, don't even try it about looting at a time when like it's just not that they just have to like create a narrative that they can be the hero of.
Speaker 2: But I think it's disgusting. Yeah, it's disgusting.
Speaker 1: But it's like so because I was seeing like kind of a similar thing on k CAL. I was like watching local news and they were just doing you know, helicopter footage of a new fire that had popped up in Studio City, like totally not totally different, but like a new, distinct fire, and it was like located on a couple of homes were burning down, And I don't know if he'd just been like on the air for thirty seven hours in a row and was like losing his mind, but he just kept trying to blame the fire on the people who lived in the house for some reason, like he kept emphasizing, like I think this one started inside the house. I mean, I'll tell you it wasn't a lightning strike, so we know that, so it started by somebody, which was like, first of all, seems extremely unlikely, like these fires are all picking up around the city on the same windy nights, because they'd be probably being started.
Speaker 2: By each other, you dip shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And but it was just like they were so horny for somebody that they could like send the cops after it felt h you know.
Speaker 3: I mean it's like like, I mean, I know it's gonna be a blame game, but like this is sort of the reason why I don't like disaster movies. Yeah, because like we as people are need like a villain that we can understand. Yeah, and so like an arsonist, a fucking you know whatever, like an inept like police chief. And it's like the real villains of this, the real villains of twisters. This is how I initially have been phrasing this. The real villains of twisters are like two hundred white guys that are in boardrooms in Dallas and you know, the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Like, there's just too many steps away from the real villains, So we need to find other villains. But it is a you know, it's how our brains are being used against us, because it's like even if even if this fucking person like like set their house on fire, even if they wanted to set a wildfire, like, yeah, they couldn't do it without the fucking you know, century of climate change that we've been doing to ourselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Albert the Butler said some people just want to watch the world burn, and everybody quote at him. But I think it's more just like people really want to get rich, and the content of that is that the world is going to turn into like a ever worsening fire vortex something something shit.
Speaker 2: The world burned, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly, but yeah, I mean and then some people I think that there are arsonists for sure, and a lot of people are inherently suspecting arson. Like on social media, supers a victor was pointing out, like keep hearing people be like and I mean the police are gonna that. That was actually one part of this like press conference where they did like the handoff from the fire chief to the police chief, and they were like, and who's going to investigate the cause of all these fires? And like who you know what if it was arson? And the fire chiefs like, we have a whole department for that. By the way, you don't need the police. But yeah, so that's the thing that is being reported, is like they just need him instigated.
Speaker 3: So but again, even the narrative of the cause was even if it's a person, it's a fucking ten people with lighters in gasoline, they are not the cause of this, yes, Like that's the thing that's like, They're not the cause.
Speaker 1: Right, They're not the cause of the circumstances that make this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of those photographs of just like the fucking palm trees like fucking doubled over and blowing and like on fire just yeah.
Speaker 2: The drought and the wind.
Speaker 3: None of those are caused by a person or even a handful of people.
Speaker 2: An industry though, yeah, I guess they are.
Speaker 3: And trillion they are caused by a handful of people, but not yeah, the ones with yeah.
Speaker 1: Not the ones you're thinking of. We are starting to get reports on the cause of the fire, which this guy went viral.
Speaker 2: We don't do it, say that again.
Speaker 3: Why is there a fire opening right now?
Speaker 2: There are multiple fires that are taking place.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, yeah, I'm useful.
Speaker 2: You're supposed to know. Well, I don't know how it started.
Speaker 3: We don't know how it started.
Speaker 2: There, you know, when all the all the all the gay people in LA.
Speaker 1: So that the news, the local news is doing their job of like investigating this by stopping to talk to the drunkest guy on the streets of LA who who asked the question, why is there a fire going on? And they were like, oh, we better talk to this guy answer. He is genuinely curious about this. But the only reason I want to raise this is because first of all, it's going around and this is a trending episode, and also because it reminded us of this clip of the Westboro Baptist church singing there her version of poker face. That is one of the UH constantly referenced Daily's ice clips between Miles and Brian the editor and I, so, I just had you seen this before, Andrew God?
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh, you piss up God.
Speaker 3: You'll see why he's.
Speaker 1: Got oh oh oh you piss up.
Speaker 2: You'll see why he's got Oh. It really is.
Speaker 1: When the chorus is about to explode on ours, we're all waiting for them to start singing.
Speaker 2: You hate God, You hate God.
Speaker 1: Uh, the lead singer says nine to eleven and points her points her two fingers down to you know, symbolize the two the two buildings coming down.
Speaker 3: I had noticed on the second watch through that the did they like hijack like a geometry class or something.
Speaker 2: It's so weird.
Speaker 1: That was one of my first notes on this video was why is this happening? It in like an NYU classroom. Very strange. It's like it's just like has the appearance of a college lecture room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's equations of the blackbart and back, but they're not like super difficult. It's like there's there's one that just says why equals fifty eight or whatever. So it does feel like a little bit like Moron's try to do a good will hunting to make themselves look smarter.
Speaker 2: Do you have any idea how easy this is for me? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean it's like fifth rage math, so it should be fairly easy for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will just say I feel like there's a narrative of handwringing about, like especially on Twitter, about like all the right wing disinformation and and gleeful like you know, just being so whatever about like I told you so, it is about various pieces of this fire, And I will just say a little bit like, yes, it's obviously annoying that it's on Twitter and everyone's I guess sad that it's become more overtly like right wing fascist media, But you know, as this fucking poker face things show like this is what these people have always been.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like every time.
Speaker 3: Like anything right wing kicks off, it's like this like specific cadre of I guess Democrats, resistance libs are just like can you believe this is happening?
Speaker 1: And now it's over And I'm not saying we're not really dealing with now, dummies, forever, and.
Speaker 3: They've been like this forever. So like, I think it's just that these people it's new to them, so they're very shocked by it. But it's like, I'm so sorry, but Ronald Reagan was like this, and I wasn't around for that, but I'm sure, you know, fucking Nixon supporters, Goldwater supporters, whatever, were all like this.
Speaker 1: He didn't say it quite out loud as much his press secretary said it out loud, and then he just was kind of like, well, but.
Speaker 2: These people were absolutely like. These people were out there and they have always been like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although the Westboro Baptist Church was like a family that just like they knew how to get the media to cover them. And that's what it looks like when you look at this video of them singing. It's like a mom and two daughters.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of those daughters has since been like that was bad, right, I was.
Speaker 2: Eleven.
Speaker 1: It's just the thing she says, Yeah, that's actually so, I know, it seems like I'm blaming your sins nine eleven.
Speaker 2: That is just a nervous tick that I have.
Speaker 3: And you know what's also amazing is like seeing nine to eleven as Godly retribution means the Westboro Baptist Church and fucking Osama bin Laden essentially have the same politics.
Speaker 1: On this day, God speaks through bin Laden, according to the Westborough Baptist Church, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back, and so is Jason Statham. I spent probably a little too much time singing the praises of the movie The Beekeeper last year.
Speaker 2: I saw it on a plane. I can't be.
Speaker 1: Can't be held to any opinions of movies that I saw on a plane, but it is it's like the Equalizer, but like weirder. People have pointed out that it seems like it is catering to like maga conspiracy theorists with a story about the villain of the movie is the Writen son of the president, and people are like, well, that's a stand in for a.
Speaker 2: Hunter byde Yeah, I don't know, but.
Speaker 1: Like the what about the rich son of Donald Trump, who is also a fucking idiot.
Speaker 3: I know I'm probably railing against these, you know whatever, like kind of moderate democratic people that are sort of seeing these things most I think, but I'm just like every action movie has always been fascist propaganda since they've ever existed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always basically the city is evil and yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I mean yes, it's like I'm sure they're like finding this repellent audience, but like, I don't know, guys, it's just like like, sorry, down down in the notes, someone's written that's a trumpier version of taken.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Take.
Speaker 1: It's pretty trumpy, right, I mean, foreign people are that. You gotta be scared of the foreign people. If you let your daughter go to a foreign cun like the to Europe.
Speaker 2: She's gonna get taken.
Speaker 3: And the solution is personal, immediate vigilante.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just violence. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we do have the trailer for Jason Statham's newest movie, also made with David Air. I don't know if I'm accepting that a beekeeper is trumpy, but this one sounds like it might be. As a jm Our writer pointed out, it's basically taken, but this time Statham's trying to get his friends girlfriend back from human traffickers. It's funny that it's his friend's a girlfriend.
Speaker 3: I guess we'll have to see it, but it's like real, she's a friend, but you know, I we met her through my friends, so like, I don't know, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 1: Also, David Harbor shows up as a blind gun toting Iraq war veteran who gives them his guns. I love a blind gun expert is great really giving people good ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was.
Speaker 1: Only a matter of time until the human trafficking action movie, like because that so that movie Sound of Freedom, remember that, like being so successful that was like made by that guy who's a scam artist who claims that he recovers people who are being human trafficked and like trade on this version of human trafficking that doesn't exist anywhere except for the Instagram videos of like white women in the suburbs.
Speaker 3: Well, I will also just say that, like and this, this might be attacking something that listeners to uh daily's like guys and Daily's like I was trending do Like I would say all true crime murder stuff is feeding into the same industry of making white women feel paranoia about their physical safety as far as strangers go. Yeah, like pointing the finger out of this you know world of dark, shady random violence, right, both makes them more xenophobic, makes them more racist, but also ignores the real perpetrators the most frequent perpetrators of violence against women in general, which is people they know.
Speaker 1: It was the girlfriend's boyfriend all along. Maybe yes, exactly, yeah exactly. Maybe maybe that's the twist at the end of this. Yeah, but this one feels like it has some trunk.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying, yes, I should say I talked too about shit, I hear you.
Speaker 1: I just I'm always reminded of this one video where I saw like a blonde white woman being like, you see the zip tie on my doorhad Yeah, yeah, yeah, that means I've been marked to be taken. It just like doesn't make any sense, but it's you.
Speaker 3: Know, my my favorite part about all those things is house stupid. They think kidnappers are right exactly.
Speaker 2: Like it's reminds me of did you ever read the Da Vinci Code? No, but you know I feel like I have because it just it's.
Speaker 1: Written with this narrative logic and it assumes that like Leonardo da Vinci is like such a dumb guy. Like it's like a dumb guy's version of a smart like he's hiding all these clues and like words, scrambles.
Speaker 2: Around the move and ship. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like they're they're assuming the criminal masterminds like have to remind themselves which car they've like decided to taken somebody from with zip ties. And also weird the bit about like all right, we've we've concocted our plan. Now for the last part the clues, where we set out all.
Speaker 2: The ways why people clues.
Speaker 1: That they anyways, the plot does seem to go full Quan on the human trafficking ring. Also false corrupt government officials. Again I don't know, or maybe or maybe the corrupt government officials are standing for Trump. Probably not, but we we don't know.
Speaker 3: I think that's the thing, is like the projection is always means it's both everything they're talking about. It's the reason it's like this could be either side is because they say the Democrats do it. Democrats do a softer version of it, and then you know, current Republicans do the hardest, most insane version of it.
Speaker 1: In everything, the best indication that it is trumpy is that it was co written by Sylvester Stallone, who is disappointingly way more. I'm way more in this than I should be. You are a magic Trump supporter, Andrew. My favorite genre of movie growing up was Sylvester Stalone movies like I didn't like. When I was like five, the first movie I saw in theaters was Rocky for Yeah, the first movie that I written. My first movie experience that I remember is my dad going to see Rambo at the theater and coming home and describing it too like I and and then like yeah, I got to see Rambo three in theaters at an age where like I don't know why they were letting me in to see that, Like yeah, I love, I mean, I get it.
Speaker 3: It's like formative, but like, I think this is why, this is why, the advantage of just inherently being able to grain AsSalt all white people media has helped me see the world more clearly, I believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, I'm not saying it's not fun, but come on, these guys are.
Speaker 1: I had a lot riding on his politics turning out already.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying have been.
Speaker 1: Like I've also talked a lot about how like the politics of Stallone movies are the most jingoistic bullshit, like yeah, like the movies he writes, the movies that he stars in, but it was you know, yeah, of course, yeah, yeah, speaking of all these guys. Jimmy Carter's funeral happened was a reunion of ex president's vice president's first ladies, and uh Trump had to shake hands with Mike Pence. Mike Pence willingly shook hands with uh Donald Trump, the guy who wanted to tried to.
Speaker 2: Have him hung.
Speaker 1: Karen Pence was serving kunt mother, but in many senses of the word both what her husband calls her, because she was the way she was ignoring the Trumps.
Speaker 2: God.
Speaker 3: Yes, general question, Yeah, why the fuck it? Like, isn't Jimmy Carter allegedly one of the good guys, Like why the fuck is Trump even invited.
Speaker 2: To his funeral?
Speaker 1: I think it's just like all presidents to go to the thing of the president, go to the funeral of the presidentsident Trump can't come because he's a Democrat man Like Democrats believe in nothing if not decorum, like the number one thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really disgusting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, I mean there there's just like a lot of like, oh, look at Al Gore back here, mean, mugging Trump. The main thing I will come away with is Donald Trump and Barack Obama sitting next to each other and like just Trump.
Speaker 2: Cracking Obama up. Obama just laughing his ass off while Trump is like saying stuff to him. It's like we did, we did know who Obama was, but it is wild that whatever remains of his personal brand, he's willing to just be like, eh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna give a fuck. These are my people, my former presidents. Only they know yeah yeah, the wild one. So like, I don't know, maybe Trump catches him off guard and you know, and he's like, you know, nervously laughing. I don't know. I wasn't there, but there there's also a moment where George W. Bush like gives him a little belly tap as he squeezes past him that is like very fraternal, like very much like, so like it might as well give him a like dick tap, like a bag tag as he walked. Yeah, like real like old homies from way back energy.
Speaker 3: I mean, I thought we had talked about this, but I didn't realize I hadn't. But like, my big disillusion moment with this class of people was the learning. Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Antonin Scullia were good friends. Good good families, would go on vacation to each other with each other routinely friends, which really put a like Notorious RBG spin on it.
Speaker 2: For me, I was like, oh, so fucking not.
Speaker 3: Like I as a human being would be like if I would had been in a room within a live antonin Scalia, I probably wouldn't, but my thought would be like, would it be justifiable from a like human rights perspective to do violence upon this man?
Speaker 1: Would it be justifiable to not do violent? You know, like yeah, yeah exactly.
Speaker 3: And the fact that like fucking again, badass notorious RBG willingly spent money to hang out patience like that's like fucking really made it odious for me, where I was like, no democrat believes anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like, what the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 3: At least have the decency to make it look like you hate this person who is evil.
Speaker 2: You can't even do.
Speaker 1: That, you're brandon out of your point out. I really looked like George Bush is walking by him, going what up?
Speaker 2: Playboy? He probably is, Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if we've ever talked about this, but I had an opportunity years ago to go to an event at the Crawford Branch, and I turned it down because I was like, and multiple people you gotta go, you gotta And some people were like, I mean, we're going to pass up a chance to call Bush a war criminal to his face. And first of all, I was like, I'm not really trying to go out by the Secret Service like that.
Speaker 2: But second of all, it was just this thing where I.
Speaker 3: Was like, you know, not not to compare it a discredited theory of competency, but Bush has put in his ten thousand hours of being called a war criminal, and I will be doing it for the first time, and whatever happens, he's going to be better at it than me. Like this interaction, I just like, you know.
Speaker 1: And he became a president by being like a charming, unassuming motherfucker.
Speaker 3: I would be like, you have blood on your hands, you know whatever, and he'd be like, all right, buddy, you want to be here like the hundred percent how it would go, And I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: But also it's like I hate him. Yeah, yeah, I genuinely think.
Speaker 3: He's a mass murderer and I would not want to meet him or be you know, hosted by him.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And fucking.
Speaker 3: Ruth Bader Ginsburg can't at least pretend to believe that, like, what the fuck is wrong with these people?
Speaker 1: I know that is wild though, that as a part of that illuminati club that you're in where you get like black eyes from being punched by Jay Leno, that you almost got to go to the Crawford Ranch.
Speaker 2: That's it was just weird. It's a it's a tough situation, but yeah it's bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wall Wall your favorite song shuts the Eye Wide shut or.
Speaker 2: Andrew t what a pleasure having you as always?
Speaker 3: I feel like I really casually just dropped a pretty insane story that I can't tell all of but that's it.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I know, I like I yeah, I think we can all just assume we we know how you got that invite and no, uh.
Speaker 2: I mean man as always, mind you follow you all that good suff.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Joss Racist, Andrew Tea, if you're feeling up for it, not God Solidarity and Snacks is the mutual aid group that I try to work with as much as possible. I don't actually know if is the best way to send your want to do something about the fire. We are going to be out serving skid Row, but I know skid Row is not one of the immediately affected places. I don't know it's fucking happening though, but you know, and we're trying to help around the city, but it just seemed like our usual beat was the place where there.
Speaker 2: Was also need.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if that's the right thing, but look up. There's so many resources out there. I genuinely can't even tell you what the best place is. But if you can, if you find it, if you find these words compelling, send send money, send resources, but also try to spend the time to not do one of the Big five or whatever the fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, take your time.
Speaker 1: It's still going to be needed, and especially going to be needed, especially like once it's no longer on the front page of the New York Times and Drudge. You know, all right, that's going to do it for this Thursday. We're back tomorrow with the whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get your vaccines, get your flu shots, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk you out tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Fight