Speaker 1: Pressure from the left after a prominent liberal calumnist rights President Biden should not run again in twenty twenty four, setting voter concerns about age and the VP's unpopularity.
Speaker 2: That combination seems to me to be potentially dangerous for the Democrats in fending off what would be a disaster a revenge presidency by Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: David Ignatius getting so much heat from the left for saying what everybody knows is true. Oh yeah, not self evident, not the stuff about Trump being revenged whatever, all that crap, but the fact that Joe Biden is the most likely person to lose and Kamala Harris would lose two. But he also points out in that column it's getting pretty late to do anything about it, which is true on the right. Also, all these conversations about who's gonna run and who's gonna jump into a race, and is Michelle Obama gonna get in or on the left or Glenn Younkin on the right, or at some point you run out of time, And I thought we should talk to somebody about that. Yeah, how's all that work? Let's ask Gary Dietrich, non partisan political analyst, longtime friend of the Armstrong and get a show. You ought to follow him on the Twitter machine at Gary Dietrich. Gary, Welcome, how are you sir?
Speaker 4: Hey, Good morning guys. And so I've been waiting for one of the two of you, I mean pretty much every morning to throw your hat in the ring. But time's a wasting, guys, It's time to get in. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like the average person runs around with this belief that any human being can just decide to run for president the month before the election and surprise everyone. But what's the reality of when you got to get in before it's too late.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great question, guys, And it is coming up a lot right now for the reasons you mentioned, And of course, you know, let's be clear also because if Donald Trump's legal was in particular, you know, how long before somebody else could get in? If somebody you know, everybody kind of has sometimes their fantasy candidate, they're like to see, this is the real key to the whole deal. And this is why you also hear so much talk pretty much every election cycle about you know, why does an independent candidate get in and what would that take and why is that so difficult? It boils down to one very simple general fact, and that is, we do not run national elections in the United States. We run fifty separate state elections. Each state has their own filing requirements. Some of those require a certain fairly sizable number of voter signatures, others are just a filing fee. But they all have deadlines. That's the real key, and so that's why. For example, next month is the filing deadline for South Carolina and Nevada. After that it's Arkansas and another state. In December comes a whole slew of states, including the biggies, California and Texas.
Speaker 3: So in other words, if Michelle Obama decided, you know, I am going to run for president in November, she can't get on the ballot in South Carolina, in and Nevada, for instance. If she makes this decision in November, she just couldn't well as an independent or as a Democrat.
Speaker 4: Either way. You have to, I mean you have to. You know, if you're gonna put your name on a ballot, you have to go through this filing process. And that's the real challenge. That's what people sometimes forget, and that is why you know, now there would be a difference. For example, if the president were to stay in the middle of next spring, for whatever reason, he's incapacitated, he has to leave office, and then the vice president, of course, would assume his dude, he's now you're in a whole different ballgame. Half the primaries are over. You'd have to have the party itself begin to think about what they're going to do about it. And keep in mind, you know, there is always the option for the party to have a still called broker convention that came up sometimes, you know, when we are talking about people like Hillary versus Bernie Sanders, et cetera. But the real bottom line is you've got to go through a process of getting your name on a ballot. Every candidate, of course, has a filing process, doesn't matter whether you're running for city council or whatever it is. And they're very specific requirements to attach to each of those.
Speaker 3: Okay, before we get off on that, So here's there are a couple of scenarios I think are likely because I am on the record saying Joe Biden will not run again. He can't. HiT's absurd to think that he could serve even part of another term. If if, for instance, they go ahead and put off reckoning with that reality until the convention he stands up and says, I really can't be running. Let's have an honest debate here at our convention of who we want the candidate to be. They could do that right and get the candidate on the ballot in all fifty sevents.
Speaker 4: And Joe he would have a lot of leverage to do that, particularly if he'd already garnered enough of the delegates to make him the nominate. You know what I mean. I mean he'd be saying, basically, I'm stepping aside for whatever reason, and I'm not going to, you know, utilize my rights of having this many delegates. It becomes a lot more I see of courses when again I mentioned that one scenario where you get to a convention or get close to a convention with no clear winner or at least or at least looking like there's some serious competition there. This, by the way, has also made more dicey on the Democratic side, because for those people that don't know, the Republicans are following the traditional mode. You've got the Iowa caucuses coming up here in February, You've got the then then followed by New Hampshire the first primary, et cetera. Yeah, let's see, I'm just looking for January fifteenth, Iowa Republican caucuses real quick. On the Democratic side, there's a huge debate underway. The Democrats want to make South Carolina their first primary. They want to do that on February third. They say it's going to make for more diverse representation because.
Speaker 3: They're they're that Biden could lose in some of those other places. They want to start with a big win. That's why. Yeah, let me clarify something. Get me real quick, because I think we're confusing people. We talked about all those filing filing deadlines in November and a slow in December, blah blah blah. But now you're saying, yes, they could switch the candidate in August of next year. So are you filing to have like the party on the ballot or what? How do you scare those two things?
Speaker 4: Now you're filing, you're filing to have your own name on the ballot, Joe, and what what's what ultimately happening.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna jump it again because I'm I'm confused. So are we talking about filing to run to be the nominee of a party. Okay, but so okay, but you could at the convention though, which is not till next summer. Couldn't either party pick whoever the hell they want? Yes, okay, So all of that is about the nomination process. But once you get to the convention, because they make up the rules at the convention, they can decide, you know what, we do want Michelle Obama. That's possible, she's but she's not on the ballot in any of the states. How the hell does that work?
Speaker 4: But the dem what ends up happening is the party ends up having a you know that they have rules committees and the rules Committee to get together and say, well, look for various reasons. You know, this has been this has been surmised when you've talked about, well what people always ask hypotheticals, what happens if somebody gets assassinated on a campaign trail or whatever, but now they've already got two thirds of the delegates, then what do you do? You start the process all over. We have you know, primaries again in all those states. No, that's impossible, of course, and so there has to be machinations, you know, within party bureaucracies for all kinds of scenarios so that that's how it works.
Speaker 3: So they would just open it up and say, all right, you, Gavin Newsom, you can file to run for president here at the convention and we'll get you on the ballots.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, that's I'm glad you're bringing up a filing, Joe. In that context. You now, you wouldn't file with the party. The filing happens with each individual state, and that's why. For example, okay, here's a good example. So this week you had the Secretary of State for New Hampshire. People have been trying to get bit Donald Trump's name. Listen, reversus get Donald Trump's name kept from going on a ballot because of the fourteenth Amendment and he's you know, insurrection, et cetera, et cetera. The New Hampshire Secretary of State came out this week and said, no, if he makes the final requirements, I have no legal recourse. And the ag in the state said the same thing about it, I have no legal recourse to keep him off of the ballot. That's Donald Trump filing to run in New Hampshire.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, I'm gonna try one more time. I'm gonna try one more time. I do feel like I know less than I did before we started. I'm not blaming you for this, Gary, but I feel like I know less than before. I'm gonna pick Gavin Newsom just because his name is bandied about. Gavin Newsom, who has not filed to be on any ballots anywhere, is tabbed to be the nominee. When Joe Boden announces he's not running at the convention, you said, yes, they can do that. He can run, but he has not filed in the way you described. So how can he be the nominee? How does he get on the ballots? Has they'll change the rules?
Speaker 4: Well, those that those filings I'm talking about, guys, are just for the primaries in each of the individual fifty states. Okay, I recognize why this is confusing. So he that's for the primary elections. The general election is a separate as a separate entity next November, of course.
Speaker 3: Okay. So that's well, like the authorities in Pennsylvania, we have finally found the suspect that we are looking for, and that's the distinction between the primaries and the general. So where the general election do the two major parties basically have and they're already they're already in they have an open slot. AD Democrat and AD Republican are going to run in the general election. At the convention, either through the primary process or some new process, they can pick whoever they want.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, basically the parties control who their nominee is the state. So yeah, so the parties get to select who they want. And again this has been talked about over the years. You know, again for all the hypotheticals I threw out there, you know, what if somebody gets sick, what if they find some huge problem you know, in their in their whatever it is, and then the parties don't want to put them up as their nominee, or you have a so called brokeer convention. You get there and you don't have nobody has enough delegates. Then the party has to become involved at the convention. And that's why you hear about the so called brokered convention.
Speaker 3: But whoever they pick, anybody is okay to run as the Democrat or the Republican for the general election, Yes, clearly so, so what I have been saying has been wrong, I think for a long time. Then sol Michelle Obama could drop in out of nowhere to the convention. They decide to run her at the last moment. Mm hmm h.
Speaker 4: Yes, and this is this is you know it probably next year, guys, we're gonna hear more about this than we ever have for the reasons you guys have already noted. I mean, and the same is true, the same as too a Donald Trump. Let's just say he goes through and all of a sudden next spring, he collects three convictions right on these four different trials. I'm just making this up right, But he's got a whole bunch of delegates. Republicans could decide. Listen, you know, we just cannot go with this guy at the convention. That's that's possible to happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, We've got to be at both conventions because they both brokeren conventions. Because I've been I've been mocking for years. I remember Tim Russert and Meet the Press and always saying, so we could have a broken conn There's not going to be a brokered convention, you guys. Just your wet dream is a brokeren convention all you old the journalists or whatever, and we got a process. Well, this time we could have two Wow, could be Gary Dietrich, non partisan political analyst. Follow him on Twitter at Gary Dietrich. Gary, thanks for the enlightenment. It was our bad our, confusion, or just just towering ignorance as usual, but it's always good to talk likewise. Thank you.