Speaker 1: Sunday, August eleventh, Jordan's Childs has to return her bronze medal.
Speaker 2: We are just getting word this morning after a Court of Arbitration ruled yesterday that Chile's floor exercise score should never have been changed in the first place, and therefore she never should have been awarded the bronze over the Romanian gymnasts.
Speaker 1: Hey there, folks, welcome to another t from Praie edition of Amy and TJ. And this is a stunning and sad conclusion, we think, to what was perhaps the most drama filled and controversial moment in the Paris Games.
Speaker 2: That's right, US Gymnastics, calling the initial court ruling devastating. Chiles has said she's leaving social media for now.
Speaker 3: Heartbroken.
Speaker 2: She literally put four emojis of a broken heart when she said she was leaving. And we're going to tell you exactly what's going on and what the IOC just said this morning about this big decision that Jordan child has to return her bronze medal.
Speaker 1: Also, chef Curry cooking in Paris, Steph shows out as Team Yousa wins a fifth straight gold medal. Also a gold medal result for the US women's soccer team, which still hasn't lost under new coach Emma Hayes, and breaking continues to be the talk of the Olympics, but not in the way a lot of people had hoped. We'll get to all that, but we have got to get to Jordan Chiles Robes. I'll be honest with you, I thought it was over. I know there were some appeals and protests and things that were out there, and I forgot about it. This was almost a week ago that that floor exercise competition took place. I'm in shock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, the thing that I thought might happen was perhaps they might go back and look at the other Romanian gymnasts who did not step out of bounds, that maybe they would give her that tenth of a point.
Speaker 3: But that seemed, as you point out.
Speaker 2: A distant memory, it seemed like if something was going to happen, it would have happened earlier. A lot of appeals go into these types of arbitration, and you know, they are denied and they really stand by what happens in the field of play, and then they tend to go back to that decision not re allocate medals and reallocate who won what. It's very rare, and so because we hadn't heard anything, we thought this was over.
Speaker 1: Solk. As we speak to you right now, that that moment you saw that we all saw. We are being told now those three women you saw on the podium, it it did not happen. Jordan Chiles did not actually win a bronze medal in that event, and that the score should have stood, and we saw. We were trying to understand why this took places and what's happening next. We have a few details to still get, but the ioc Ropes did put out a statement about what they are working to do next to resolve.
Speaker 3: This, trying to figure out a way for Jordan Chiles to physically return her medal.
Speaker 1: If that's the case. I mean, I told you earlier that Charlton Helston line. You had to come get that out of my cold dead hand. You really think I'm gonna put this in the mail for you? You think, I mean, I guess they could be penalized if they don't follow along with the rules of the governing bodies, and perhaps that's what compel her to send it back. But it's offensive at this point because all the athletes have been done wrong. So the IOC what they are saying is, quote, we are in touch with the National Olympic Committee of Romania to discuss the reallocation ceremony and with the US Olympic officials regarding the return of the bronze medal. That statement this morning from the IOC. So we wait for ropes. Like I said, this was it seemed like so long ago, but it was. It was almost a week ago that the competition took place.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go back to how this all began. Last Monday, August fifth. It was the women's floor exercise competition. Jordan was the final gymnast to perform, and her score, the score she got initially definitely put her in fifth place. We saw Rebecca Andrage of Brazil getting gold, Siman Biles got silver, and Anna Barbosu of Romania got the bronze third place, and in fact, we saw Barbosu grabbing a Romanian flag wrapping it around her, celebrating what would be the first Olympic medal for her country in twenty years. But then the drama ensued.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the US coach requested an inquiry into Chiles score, an inquiry as we all googled after the fact and had to learn An inquiry allows judges to go back and review a routine to make sure some elements were raided properly. Okay, So sure enough they reviewed it and changed Child's score by a tenth of a point. That was enough to move her to third. She got the bronze. This set off really one of the most dramatic, lasting, albeit confusing scenes of the Paris Games. We saw Chiles sitting there waiting, thinking she was out of the metals. The word cames and she is just elated. She explodes with emotion and joy at winning. Youxta pose that with the images we saw and the heartbreak and the tears from the Romanian gymnasts who just found out in fact, no, you didn't get that.
Speaker 2: Bronze to your country, and reaction on both sides was pretty quick. Romania almost immediately filed and official appeals. The country's prime minister said he was boycotting the closing ceremony. Romanian gymnastics legend Nadiya komanitch she was not shy at all about voicing her displeasure and said Olympic officials were messing with the mental health of the gymnasts while she was on point there because it was just the beginning of what has become just an unbelievable situation for all of these gymnasts involved. And meanwhile, yeah, Jordan has been the target of vicious attacks online and it's been unrelenting for this past week, including what her mom. She's had to come to her defense twice on X on Twitter calling racist, disgusting comments out, and she has had to come to her daughter's defense. It's just been incredibly sad and just messy, awful situation that I don't this probably makes it even worse.
Speaker 1: And nothing, nothing, not a negative word should be directed at any athlete in this at all. They have a system and they have rules, and they have people that let them down, So anything director of these athletes is absurd.
Speaker 2: To your point, I just wanted to say because I loved what Sunny Lee wrote on Instagram. She said, all this talk about the athlete, what about the judges? Completely unacceptable. This is awful and I'm gutted for Jordan.
Speaker 1: Again, rules are rules, but you have to apply them well to also make them fair. So it's been a weird weekend and we're waking up with this news today just coming down as we were recording here at what is at seven am now, But what happened yesterday that ended up with all this in motion. Following the Childs bronze medal win, Romania sent letters of protest to the International Gymnastics Federation. Expected they also sent a request for review to the Court of Arbitration for Sport that is the organization with the authority to settle sports related disputes. And yesterday that court is the one that ruled that Child's score should not have been changed after her inquiry. Why, they say, Robes, the inquiry came after the deadline to submit an inquiry.
Speaker 2: And this is what I'm learning this. I think a lot of people are. I didn't even realize there was a deadline. There's a one minute deadline, so according to the rules, an athlete or their coaches have to request an inquiry within one minute of the score being posted. Well, the court said that Chile's inquiry came at one minute and four seconds for seconds too late, and that is why they have returned her score back to below the third place.
Speaker 3: So now she's face back thirteen point sixty sixty six.
Speaker 1: They did not even and to be clear here, this court did not even consider whether or not her routine was scored correctly. They didn't go back and look and say that routine deserved a point that was not the point they say we had. The review is not legit because it did not come within time. Now I was asking you robes, do they have a clock? Do they know is there a countdown? Who kept the time? And how do they know it is a minute?
Speaker 2: For Yeah, I mean you would hope that anyone involved with gymnastics team USA Gymnastics would know there's a quick window of time to put in an inquiry, and maybe they thought they had gotten it in under the one minute. But yeah, I've never seen a clock. I never knew there was a one minute deadline. So to your point, I doubt there's some clock showing the coaches or the team or the gymnast you got one minute?
Speaker 1: Then who can query? Then how can you make an argument at all? But you can't just say that every sport has a I use this earlier a basketball there is a twenty four second shot clock. Yeah, I'm looking at it. If this ball is not out of my hand to shoot this thing by the time that his zero there's a violation. You can't just have every body looking at when did you start your clock? When did you start yours? You can't do that.
Speaker 3: So maybe there is a clock, Yeah, I've just never seen it.
Speaker 1: But if there is one. When the coach went and said I want to put in an inquiry, the response should have been you're too late, you're too late, and we wouldn't have had this issue yep.
Speaker 2: But the judges and said instead accepted the inquiry, looked into it and made a decision to change the score right then and there, a minute and four seconds after she finished or her score was posted. That to me is where the failure took place. Why they then accepted the inquiry and then changed the score. That is where the problem happened. And it is not the fault of the gymnasts. And it's frustrating to see what's happening. So the Court of Arbitration, by the way, who made that call. They did not make the ruling about what should happen to Charles Bronze medal. In fact, we know that Romania asked when they put in their appeals, they asked that all three women, the two Romanians who to and Jordan all be.
Speaker 3: Given the bronze medal. That was what their request was. That was denied.
Speaker 2: So the Court of Arbitration said, hey, it's the International Olympic Committee, the IOC, you guys deal with the medals, and they just made their ruling.
Speaker 1: And there were three options, like you said, and why would three get it? There? Of course Chiles would keep it, the other young lady from Romania would get it, but the other the argument has been that another Romanian gymnast was not scored accurately, and so they're saying all three women they requested that, and that seemingly was denied. So that was one option that the International Olympic Committee had. Option two would have been to take the bronze medal from Chiles and then give it to the Romanian gymnast. But there was one other option they have, which was to give the Romanian gymnast a bronze as well, so two women would share it. But they seem to have gone with their option two, which is to take the bronze medal around from around her neck essentially and give it to the Romanian gymnast. That is where we are. But Rob, you looked up before this might not be the end either based on precedent, because sometimes these things ends up ends up in courts and appeals for months down the road.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: In fact, I was just reading up about something that happened. It wasn't exactly the same, but something similar with skiers in Beijing in twenty twenty two, where they went back and forth who got third, who got fourth, and they ruled one way, they ruled the other way. Eventually, after months of whether or not one had to give the medal back, they just decided to let both of them keep the medal. You know, I don't know if that's going to happen, because it's been It was made very clear in a headline that she must return her bronze medal. How when if those are still questions that perhaps only Jordan Giles can answer.
Speaker 1: Bo, you're sitting here at this point, do you do you feel? I mean, what do you do? You earned it her score, right, you can actually say this though we're not arguing about her score. Her score she actually scored better than the fact. But she didn't. But you said it earlier. Rules are rules. The problem is with the application of the rules, and it screws over the athletes.
Speaker 2: It's not their fault, right, we've seen four seconds that that would be a huge, a huge margin of winning when it comes to a raise and track and field. So yes, I get it, like time is important, deadlines matter, It can make the difference between winning and losing, and so yes, it seems like four seconds is nothing, but it's everything in Olympics in a lot of different ways. But they didn't apply it in the moment. And that's the problem and that's why we're here. And it's frustrating and it's sad, and it unfortunately will probably be the biggest story out of this Olympics. And it's frustrating for athletes. I can't even imagine how Jordan is feeling and how the two Romanian gymnasts are feeling. Nobody wins in this situation. Nobody wins.
Speaker 1: And you know the other thing, I yeah, that moment didn't happen. It might be my favorite picture from the Olympics, besides Shakerrill crossing the finish line at the four x one and looking over to her opponents, but to see Rebecca Androge of Brazil some Own Biles with the silver position at the podium, and Jordan Chiles with bronze. That was the first time we have ever in the history of the Olympics seeing three black folks, three black gymnasts on the podium. We've never seen it before. And now these folks are telling us, you didn't see it this time.
Speaker 2: It didn't happen. It was a mistake. In fact, they're talking about a reallocation ceremony.
Speaker 1: A reallocation ceremony. Those those four of gymnasts. The heart goes out to them. They were fail Look where all human beings, people screw up. There was a screw up here on this scale. It sucks and it hurts for everybody involved. But hopefully, I mean when you love, I'm sure at some point we're going to see Jordan Giles and that gymnast together somewhere in some international competition or coming together in some way that maybe calms people down because there's a motion on both sides. Yeah, I'm pissed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think everyone feels in somehow betrayed by the system and what they said was supposed to work.
Speaker 3: It didn't.
Speaker 2: It failed miserably. But yes, I love you know, you see the camaraderie among so many of these athletes in these different sports because they understand what it takes to get there, and they understand the sacrifice that has taken place in order to be the greatest from your country to do skills that none of us could imagine doing. So I would love to see that, and that would be a beautiful moment. And I think there is obviously there's more to come on this story, and hopefully, you know, maybe it'll take the athletes to make it better and to make us all feel better, because certainly the system, the judges and these these appeals courts have made things worse and what extremely messy.
Speaker 3: I want, you know what I want? I want. I want Jordan and I want Anna Anna to keep their medals.
Speaker 2: I think they both deserve that's the one. I think they both deserve bronzes. I think taking a medal away from somebody who earned it is total bs. And I'm told I'm angry for her.
Speaker 1: They told her she earned it. It's not like she earned it and they, oh, you cheated with a drug test or oh you did something wrong. They told her she earned it. You don't take that back from somebody, agreed, can't you know? A part of me is I hope all of them get together and said, the hell with it, take all your metals back. Just send a bronz. We don't give a shit. Just all of them. Just don't accept them, because this is now too much of a mess to If you get it in Romania, do you feel good about it? No, your first medal in twenty years.
Speaker 3: Jordan hangs that bronze. Does she feel good about it? It's tough. It just sours the whole experience for everyone.
Speaker 1: She could sell it for a lot, probably that medal. Talked about metal in the Smithsonian. We know you know, I mean I would go, I would go see it. I love you, Jordan, keep doing your thing and rooting for you even harder than ever. At this point, we turn now to Team USA men's basketball and Steph Curry's talent translates in any language, but especially in French. He put on an international showcase yesterday, Rose. We watched this. He helped the US men win a fifth straight basketball gold medal against the home team, and it absolutely felt like it was a home game for France. The crowd was with him yesterday.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 2: But Steph scored twenty four points all on three pointers. That's insane, and he made eight but four of them came in a two minute stretch in the fourth quarter that clearly just put the game away, and it was remarkable.
Speaker 1: He was freakish, he was Steph and what we're used to saying. But this is great for him. He had a kind of a rough start to the Olympics. But this is the only thing that's missing. He's got MVPs, he's got NBA Finals, MVPs, he's got four chanceampions, She's got all these, but he never got an Olympic medal first time playing in the Olympics because the past two he had injury issues, and then the COVID Olympics as well was a bit of a mess and he opted out. So he finally got it this time around. So that was good to see. But this is a first for him and it was cool yesterday. Never to hear the announcer say Durant to Lebron to Steph, Right, to think of those three guys on the same team was absolutely dream team.
Speaker 2: Right continues All right, oh man, we had a blast. We set our day around the US women's soccer team and they did not disappoint their back on top, taking the gold medal after a one to nothing win over Brazil and the American women became Olympic champions for the first time in twelve years. There has definitely been a drought, but with that gold medal, the US is now the first team in women's soccer to earn five Olympic gold medals. That is a huge feed. But it's been quite the journey. Just a year ago, if anyone was following this team, they were struggling to even score goals. They didn't advance past the Women's World Cup round sixteen.
Speaker 3: But they had a different coach that should be noted.
Speaker 1: Yes, look, give them her credit, and she's fun to watch, right coach. She is something about her energy, she confidence about her. I like her a lot, not just because she's winning. Oh, I guess it helps.
Speaker 3: That definitely is a big part of it. Let's be honest. You have lost all her games, say we would not be talking. Yeah, what's wrong with her?
Speaker 1: She looks great yesterday. But they this is a team that's so much coming into this tournament. Was talking about, well, the lowest ranking of the US women ever. They got down to number five internationally, and look at what they did. They're playing a major international tournament.
Speaker 2: And yeah, oh, my goodness, and it was you know, the first half was a little, a little boring. Zero's never loved those games, but it meant that they were both playing their very best. Early in the second half though, right when we came back, Mouse Watson made the one and only goal, and I have to give I mean, it was remarkable to watch the goalkeeper, Alyssa Naire. She made some incredible saves and it was it reminded me of what we had our discussion with Brianna Scurry, the goalkeeper for a team USA back in the Glory days. She said she loved being goalkeeper because it's the only player on a team who can determine whether or not their team will lose, and when you keep the ball out of the net, you ensure that your team is not going to lose. Now, Brazil did score, but it didn't count because they were off sides. But it was a scary moment.
Speaker 3: It was right off. It was in the beginning, right, it was in the first half, the.
Speaker 1: First half, and I know it was Zero that this is you and I watch a lot of international taker when it comes to countries, but this is the only I can't imagine watching forty five minutes we get to have time in the scores zero zero, and I could say, wow, that was thrilling.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I wasn't in the soccer growing up, and a lot of it was because I don't score a lot, but it was a thrilling, thrilling first half because they were attacking each other and you were shocked that nobody was scoring. Uh quite frankly so. And Brazil is just a beautiful team to watch, but they didn't look like themselves. Then credit the US to that who constantly put pressure on it was I'm glad to see them back where we're used to them being like it was a bump in the row. Wow, you're the number five in the world. Well, the US men would go, we would get out of parade for them to five.
Speaker 2: They were amazing and I loved at the end the loudspeakers were playing Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA and the women.
Speaker 3: Jumping in a huddle celebrating.
Speaker 2: It was just it was one of those Olympic moments that you love to watch and witness, all.
Speaker 1: Right, the other Olympic moment that well, we're not sure what we watched what we witnessed, and some people don't appreciate what we're witnessing when it came when it's come to breaking, which is now done. That all that's wrapped up. We did see the men in breaking, so all the talk day one after the women perform. Unfortunately, some would say for those who are really trying to promote breaking, was about the young lad Raygun from Australia and her questionable moves and how she got there and making a mockery and she wasn't really competitive, you know, I don't know, I'd explained Raygun, but the guys came back and forth.
Speaker 2: Yees, yeah, there was Yeah, there was no Raygun equivalent in the men's breaking competition. But I we had a blast watching this one. They were battling it out, some incredible moves and there are skill levels and I put seamed off the charts because I don't you know, we don't know a lot about breaking, so but I was blown away by what these men were able to do.
Speaker 1: Do you know that's one of the complaints now, you say we don't know a lot about breaking. One of the complaints from people in who follow this and who are with federations breaking federations, Yes, countries have them that there was enough explanation for you.
Speaker 3: You know what that means A good point.
Speaker 1: We see these guys dancing, that's impressive. When you watch gymnastics, I don't get that. But somebody's explaining to me what this is and what they were trying to do and what this There wasn't enough for us to get educated to understand what was happening.
Speaker 2: That's a really good point. And look, we have a Canadian bee boy who was Asian. His name was phil Wizard, but his real name is Philip Kim. That's his bee boy name.
Speaker 3: He took the gold. He was incredible.
Speaker 2: He went up against in the gold medal round hometown favorite French bee boy Danny Dan.
Speaker 3: His name's danis Silvil. He got silver.
Speaker 2: What you know, this was a cool thing for me to see because as they were waiting for the judges decision, because they literally just pick who they thought won the break battle, and the crowd went wild as both of the bee boys hugged each other and we saw that a lot. There was a camaraderie between the competitors. They were hugging even we saw them do moves alongside each other, like syncing up with each other, almost supporting each other even though they were battling.
Speaker 4: It felt like the skateboarders, right, yeah, it did, but I think it almost felt more like a dance party than a competition.
Speaker 2: In a way, Team USA finally representing with the bronze, the only medal for the women or the men's even though obviously this is the place that breaking was born in the Bronx here in New York. But American bee boy Victor he was incredible to watch, thirty years old, been breaking competitively since he was fourteen. His brother and his dad were bee boys as well, so he has a long history in that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 2: Unclear how people feel about it, and it's unclear if we're going to see it again. This was the first and perhaps the last time we will see breaking as an event. It is not currently in the lineup of sports for the twenty twenty eight Games in Los Angeles, so you know, there's a question mark, and I don't know how I I'm not even sure how I feel about it.
Speaker 1: You know, I was so impressed yesterday. I'm not taking away from the women, but it was Ray Gunn did take away from that competition certainly, and the talk afterwards the women were wildly impressive and so much of what they were doing. The guys are off the charge in terms of they looked like gymnasts when and a lot of the moves they were doing it was incredible. What ms are I'm looking up? We're watching cycling this morning, and somebody just took a nasty fault in cycling. If you've been watching any of that speed cycle, my goodness, you do not want to fall off that bike as you're going around that oval. But incline back to the the breaking here we're talking. They were so impressive and jaw dropping and so much of what they were doing yesterday. I still didn't get her to understand. And some are saying that's not necessarily breaking, that's not the culture, the subculture what breaking started as to where now it's moving in a direction that Americans and the originators of this can't even compete because you're changing the rules to turn breaking into something it wasn't originally making international but adding moves and doing things that aren't these power moves and things that aren't the core necessarily of what breaking was. But it are you? Are you changing? Is the world now revolutionizing the sport or Is it taking it from us? Is the question?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah, I mean I said this yesterday when I watched the women There was especially a young woman from Lithuania who got into the finals, and she I mean it looked like cultural appropriation to a point, like she's wearing you know, the head scarves and I don't know, I felt a little.
Speaker 3: Icky and a little uncomfy watching it. It is the best way for me to describe it.
Speaker 1: And uncomfy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, should she be wearing that? Should she be doing that? I don't know. It felt a little How old was she?
Speaker 2: I mean she looked young. They all looked very young. I mean yeah, because the American was thirty years old, which I was surprised. This is I don't know, I'm on the fence.
Speaker 1: But to your point, the young lady f I can't remember her name, Nika be girl, Nica, I think from Lithuania. Yeah, but she was in a do rag the whole time. And this is a teenage little white girl. I think she's seventeen, but she's been on the scene for a while now. She learned was introduced to break dancing after she was watching cartoons on YouTube. Is the story she tells, Okay, we should celebrate that some kid in Lithuania is now being exposed to something from New York that she now picks up and enjoys. I think that's a positive. But when she takes it and she then turns it into or tries to if she doesn't respect the history, the background, and just puts on in part of it, just putting on a do rag because I saw a black dude do it. That feels icky and wrong, and some people were very much turned off by that. Now do ragok, some folks might not know with black folks been wearing new rags forever. But it serves a functional purpose to lay your hair. If you're trying to get waves, you put the dow rag on. It sets the waves. Because we have coarser hair, that's fine. It protects the hair. You sleep in them. Sometimes we get that I didn't use do rags, but I've used bandanas before when I was in junior high high school. Put it on in the morning. It lays the hair a little bit. I've you've done this, But to see a little white girl just put it on because she's trying to be down.
Speaker 2: That's where I felt itchy and uncomfy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you want to there's a balance you want. It is great that this thing from New York has made it to the international stage. Let's celebrate. But oh, what was alone in eminem I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley to use black music so selfishly and use it to make myself wealthy. Hey, yes, that's what it felt like. We were seeing was something being taken and exploited in a way that wasn't what it was originally meant for.
Speaker 3: Well, it might be one and done in the Olympics.
Speaker 1: See what's the line here? Where's the line from the guy from USA breaking Breaking for Gold USA and Dance USA. An organizer said, and I quote that what we saw he said, may have alienated too many new viewers. We need to change the narrative from the first impression of breaking as an Olympic sport. There were significant organizational and governance shortcomings that could have been easily reconciled, but unfortunately negatively impacted Breaking's first touching point to a new global audience. That's him saying that, yeah, wow, that's big. That's from Zach Susser, who was with a breaking organization in the US. So it was entertaining. It was fun to some, but some cringed the whole time.
Speaker 2: It looked like a dance party that maybe I shouldn't be watching.
Speaker 1: But have you ever seen a breaking battle like a club you if wed, you would want to go every weekend. But they don't feel like that. They don't feel they feel intimate, they feel personal, they feel I don't know, they don't feel like that kind.
Speaker 2: Of authentic even maybe the authentic that might be the word that is missing and should have been more focus on.
Speaker 1: Let's not take away from their talent and their yeah, yeah, yeah, all of them amazing to get out of there and do it all right.
Speaker 2: We had an amazing morning. You know, I don't necessarily like getting up too early, but today back up at two thirty am and it was awesome. It was worth it to watch the women's marathon Olympic Marathon. It was I mean, maybe we feel a little bit closer to this because we know what it takes to run a marathon. I have no idea what it takes to run a marathon in two hours and twenty two minutes, but that's what Safan Hassan of the Netherlands pull off this morning. Something that no woman has done in Olympic history. She got a medal in three of the most grueling races at the Olympics, so from track and field. On the track to taking it on the marathon course, it was remarkable watching her with gas in the tank in the last stretch.
Speaker 1: It was crazy and folks ron the best in the world are in this event and several dropout. They quit, they stopped running. It's that difficult. And there's a crazy hill on this course.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: Some are even shocked it's a part of the marathon course, but they're running. Rosalie. I didn't notice it with the men yesterday, but today the women going up this hill are literally almost leaning completely. It's clear as day when you watch it, leaning forward, trying to make their way up.
Speaker 3: This hill, and you can see their gate change.
Speaker 2: I mean, the commentators were seriously overstating how absurd this hill was and how they actually couldn't believe that they chose to keep it in the race because it be a game changer, because that like it was what was it like fifteen sixteen miles in the hill game, and.
Speaker 3: It was a long hill.
Speaker 2: But Hassan not only won the marathon this morning. She set an Olympic record, and then, as we mentioned, she got a bronze in the five thousand meter race and a bronze in the ten thousand meter race, and she.
Speaker 3: Ran the ten thousand meter race just a day and a half ago.
Speaker 2: We keep hearing the word fresh legs when we see the soccer players, ooh, they got fresh legs on the field.
Speaker 3: She did not have fresh legs.
Speaker 1: And yet the commentator we were listening to and that this is a this is a direct quote, most impressive thing I've seen from a female marathon er. I am in shock by what we just witnessed. And those are the experts and the marathon runners who are doing the commentary that what she did was just incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this commentator, she didn't she win the New York Marathon, win the Boston Marathon, and she's a two time Olympian, so she knows what she's talking about.
Speaker 1: They know it. They didn't so when I hear that, so it was just it was incredible. And we watched you. You up this morning. You you want to complain about being up early. You came out at two thirty or whatever. You were chatty Kathy from that year.
Speaker 4: Because I went to bed at seven pm with you last night. I sent a photo to my daughter going to bed now seven pm hashtag loser.
Speaker 3: But no, it was it was really worth it.
Speaker 2: And we had an amazing day watching the women of track and field. It was just it was a great final day on the track. Right there another history making woman, Faith kipp Yayon. I can never say, is that right? Faith kip Ya of Kenya. Wow, she is now the first woman to win the fifteen hundred meters gold in three straight Olympics.
Speaker 3: And she won by beating her own.
Speaker 2: Olympic record, which was remarkable, and she just she was smoking it, smoking it right.
Speaker 1: She really And then she's the greatest. She's considered the greatest in the fifteen hundred ever and she never ever had done remark.
Speaker 2: And I actually have to give kudos to Jessica Hull of Australia she won silver. She just was a powerhouse too to see her do that. And then Great Britain's Georgia Bell ran the race of her life to take a bronze and she scored in a new national record. I just I loved watching those women in the fifteen hundred meters. I don't know what it was about that race, but it was just awesome to see them.
Speaker 1: Because it's a distance race that's quick and every lap something dramatic is happening. You're seeing and set up. So that's uh, that's fantastic. And rose was another photo of finish on the track that resulted in the gold medal for Team USA. We're talking about Massi Russell. She edged out her closest competitor by one hundredth of a second to win the women's one hundred meter hurdles. What was that Noah Lyles was five thousand thousands. Yeah, that was second that he won. There was another race we saw one.
Speaker 3: By three thousandths, so.
Speaker 1: These are very close. But but yeah, they had to go to the photo, but sure enough she ends up Missih Russell. This is her first Olympic medal.
Speaker 3: Inst it was amazing.
Speaker 2: And then I have to say it was initially puzzling because yes, she won by such a narrow margin. To see the silver medalist, who you'd think would be upset that she lost that on gold by just that fraction of a second, but she seemingly was celebrating more than Russell. She was more excited than the gold medalist, and then we learned she is now the first and only member of Team France to win any medal of any color in track and field for her country.
Speaker 3: So you could see why it was a big deal.
Speaker 1: But in that funny sometimes you see her on the ground and crying and silver medal and you're thinking, year, it's going crazy, but then it it needs context. Yes, this is the only one for her, you know what, she well deserved. Congrats to her. The women's four by four hundred meter relay team goal for the US women broken record kind of here rose, but they did have Gabby Thomas and Sydney McLaughlin Larne in this race for the American women to who the biggest stars on the track. But this is not a new thing for the four by four hundred relaying.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: This is the eighth consecutive gold medal for American women in this event and it was the second fastest time in history. There is a record on the books that goes back to nineteen eighty eight by the Soviet Union. They narrowly missed the record by just a tenth of the second, so they were almost there. But it was all the celebrations of those four women in the pictures in the video, it's just it's so worth looking at. They were ecstatic and it was awesome to see them do what the men couldn't.
Speaker 3: Sorry I had to say it.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, well they did, but it's just that the four one hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, I can't get that out of my head. Sorry, I'll let it go. I'll let it go.
Speaker 1: You and Carl Lewis let it go, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, Carl Lewis and I.
Speaker 1: We go way back the final day of the Olympics, folks, So we've got if you haven't didn't see the marathon at two thirty am, like we did. It does replay at noon today. Men's water polo, there's a bronze medal match for the US men that is going to wrap, but the replay will be later if you want to see it. Women's volleyball is happening in just a few minutes live, but that replay will be along as well. But the US are taking on Italy. This is one Rhoads in the gold medal match. I said, I will not miss.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: And at nine thirty am, team USA women's basketball gold medal match USA versus France. USA, we'll be cheering them on and at three pm Eastern time. You can of course watch this primetime as well.
Speaker 3: They'll re air it.
Speaker 2: But it's the closing ceremony, and this is a post I've never seen a closing ceremony. I've always been on a plane headed back to the United States. So this is going to be really cool. Remember, Katie Ledecki and rower Nick med will be flag bearers for Team USA.
Speaker 3: But here's what we know.
Speaker 2: We've been promised several world class performers. We believe there's going to be several prominent performers representing California, and that's a nod of course, to La, the next host city. We're gonna see Snoop Dogg, who has become a fixture in this year's Games. He's like at every event. I feel like he's going to play a role in the handover Seg. We've got our and b artist Her is performing the US national anthem at the ceremony, which is going to be amazing to watch.
Speaker 3: And there's always the speculation.
Speaker 2: So far it's proved to be true at least with the opening ceremony, but we believe Los Angeles Natives, Billy Eilish and perhaps the Red Hop Chili.
Speaker 3: Peppers are going to be part of the event.
Speaker 2: And then Tom Cruise, who we've seen at multiple events. I saw him yesterday at the US Women's soccer game. He's been at the gymnastics events. He's already in Europe filming Mission Impossible eight while they believe, or we're hearing that he may be performing some kind of stunt, and so we'll see that and he'll be handing over the flag to la for the twenty twenty eight Games. And then a little more than two weeks from now, Paris is going to be the host again of the Paralympics. I want to mention that as well. That starts Wednesday, August twenty eighth through September eighth, So there is more athletic competition ahead for the city of Paris.
Speaker 1: But the story of the day and of the Olympics possibly continues to be the Jordan Childs. Jordan Childs being told she now has to return her bronze medal after that most dramatic of moments, and when she earned that bronze medal, there would be plenty more to talk about there, but our hearts go out to certainly Jordan Childs, but all the gymnasts involved in this. This is not their fault and they shouldn't have to be put through this. But life is cruel and hard and difficult, and the Olympics is no different sometimes and sometimes it's just the worst. So they were failed by a lot of people robes and it's just heartbreaks for all the women involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no better way to put that. This is just this.
Speaker 2: There are no there are I mean, everyone's a winner for what they did and what they put in, but this isn't anything that anybody would want for themselves in terms of earning a medal or losing a medal. It's just it's messy and it's unfortunate, and hopefully they can fix this so it won't happen again. But we will continue to bring you all the updates. Tomorrow we will have another edition of Tea from Perry for listening.