Speaker 1: Of the law and order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories. Dune Done.
Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to That's Messed Up, a SVU podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm one of your hosts, Kara Klink. I'm the other one, Lisa Traeger. We talk SVU, we talk crimes, we have guests. It's really a jam packed podcast with a lot of work that maybe we didn't consider before we.
Speaker 3: Started the podcast. JK.
Speaker 2: We love it so much, so true so, but up top we like to chitchat catch up. We've been in different states, Cara, I mean luckily I got to see you for one little drinks moment yeah, last week. But really we've been separate for months. I know that it's like the pandemic again. But JK, we're out in the.
Speaker 3: Forbid. I everything's good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I went on a two week amazing trip with my kids to Vermont and to the East Coast, saw some family, went to my summer camp.
Speaker 3: It was awesome. Everything was great. The kids were good on the.
Speaker 1: Plane, like except Rosie Pete on herself on purpose in the bathroom, and I forgot to bring her extra pants, so she was just butt out the entire like half of the flight. And then one of the flight attendants was like, what happened to your pants? And Rosie was like, hey, like, would not keep a blanket around yourself? I keep getting in trouble for having Rosie naked from the waist down at different places. Anyway, I wanted to just say one quick thing because I know you have a lot of scoop for me right now. I just caught up watching like four or five episodes of OC last night, and I love that show.
Speaker 3: I am really.
Speaker 1: Loving Organized Crime, not the OC starring Misha Barton, OC Organized Crime Christopher Maloney spin off. It is so different from SVU. It moves so quickly. They resolve plotline so quick. I love that. I watch all these shows that are like thrillery and you're like, what happened to that guy?
Speaker 3: Well? Are they ever gonna pay off this one?
Speaker 1: And I get that there's like an art to like leaving a lot of different storyline simmering and then getting back to them. No, this show uses all this crazy technology that's probably not even real. They're like found him found this girl like stables chasing down hit women. He just chased a hit woman through the streets through a fashion show. Like it's crazy. That's free advertisement. They have not paid us. And I'm just telling you, guys, get into OC.
Speaker 3: I'm liking it.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, I've been seeing a lot of buzz with people that we know really liking the new selling the OC. It's like a spinning it's a spinoff of Selling Sunset called Selling OC. And the tweets I'm seeing that it's one of the best realities shows of all time, that it's unhitched and insane, that it's like the best television from people I respect, that love that love TV, and so I'm excited. I tried to watch last night, but I was way too drunk and I just needed Seinfeld.
Speaker 3: I found a new hairbo sour Kicks.
Speaker 2: They're little sneakers and no one was I was like, oh, these are fresh. I'm like, this is a new batch like feel the texture, and everyone was I was with was like, wow, this is the freshest texture ever. I go, No, I'm like a pro on gummy candies, like this is good, such good flavors. If you see the Harbo Sour Kicks. There's a sour grape flavor. Can you fucking believe that it's It's good? Yeah, it was really good. But so I'm excited to watch that. I am so pumped for Lindsay and Carl from Summerhouse that they got engaged. I'm so sad that I got into Summerhouse, but I'm in it and I'm so happy for them.
Speaker 3: So shout out to Lindsay.
Speaker 1: I don't watch, but wasn't it like forever? Her being like, why don't we date? And him being like no, no, no, And then they finally get together. No, there's a little more nuanced to that carey.
Speaker 3: So they are.
Speaker 2: They are best friends, and then there's one night where he fingers her but they don't even make out. It's just like a loose fingering, and so then it gets like talk to him, So he gets talked about in the house and he's like so scared that it's spread, and he's like, hey, I don't want you to be mad, but everyone knows about the fingering, and she goes, I don't care, and so then they end up going on a date, but they are scared because their friendship means a lot to them, and then the date, like it just doesn't work out because she's like, Okay, well let's do this, and he's like this is just too much for me. But the other layers are she is in her thirties, once children, like she's ready to settle down for him. Throughout these seasons, Sadly, his brother died of an overdose and it was really sad. I mean, she's the first person he went and told, like they are. They have truly been very great friends, and he had to then come to terms with his own sobriety and so he's been like work focusing on his sobriety. A couple relapsed, but he's really good. He's been sober now for a while. And so then by the end of the last season they were she was just like listen, like I have feelings for you, like I don't know what you want, and he goes, let's do this. And they've been together ever since, and she stopped drinking to like help him as well, and so they're both kind of sober right now and they got engaged and it's awesome. And the thing with her, a lot of her storyline is like the other girls and people judge her because she is a drunk slut and they're all mad at her about it. Like one person shamed her for partying because she had had a miscarriage, so like because she had a miscarriage, they were like, what is this a brothel? And she goes, what's this double standard? Like you're not You're not mad at Luke, Like he's a slut just like I am. And the girl goes, well, he didn't have a mis carriage, Like this is the way people speak to Lindsay.
Speaker 3: It's so fucked up.
Speaker 2: And she just is who she is and everyone always has an issue. Like one of her ex boyfriends, like she gets drunk and likes to take her titties out and he would be pissed. And it's like Carl just loves her for who she is, and like they just are really cute and I just.
Speaker 1: Can't believe that like two people that like we're on this show about like debaucherous like hooking up, are now like we found monogamy and sobriety together on this show.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, and they.
Speaker 2: Lived in the same building in Manhattan and like also like while Lindsay was you know after this Smithscharage like trying to have a great summer. They also like hate like the there's one really toxic relationship on that show, Kyle and Amanda, and it's like horrific.
Speaker 3: It's like, Kyle went to my college. Oh my god, he's a know this is our friend? Do our friends know this?
Speaker 1: I think I've told her Kyle went is a two or three years behind me. I think he was a freshman when I was a senior.
Speaker 2: So they're reallylationships is horrible, Like before the wedding, they're crying, they don't fuck, they fight all the time. She breaks his toilet, like I kinda watch fucking summer. They have like a business together. It's like love your voice. Yeah, And so eventually he's like telling one of her friends, he goes, we have nothing in common except the business. Like they are the most awful relationship. She's always crying. They're like they never look like they're having fun, and yet the whole time they're like, lindsay, are you even happy?
Speaker 3: Your life is a mess?
Speaker 2: Your life's a mess, Like you're such a this than that, And she's just like, I own my own PR firm. I'm hot as head, Like what's going on here? And so I just love that, like they came up out on top of like having this like beautiful relationship and I wish them all the best. And so I I mean, I only started watching the show maybe two and a half weeks ago.
Speaker 3: I am not I would die for Lindsay Hubbard. I would die for her.
Speaker 4: I cannot believe you started two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: I thought you were like I knew you were a like a og summers.
Speaker 3: Probably a three week So yeah, I was wing extremely important to me for the last three weeks of my life.
Speaker 2: Well, because you know, my best friend uh lives here and we don't see each other that often, and we both are TV people. So there were a couple of days where we did not leave the couch and we watched Summer House for.
Speaker 3: Like ten hours a day. Oh wow, minimum to.
Speaker 1: Be I love the day.
Speaker 3: I love a day where you can just watch TV all day. It's so fun. My husband doesn't like to binge, as you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so I'm just like really happy for them. Also, we had to talk about Body's Body's Body is this New York Times thing.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you haven't.
Speaker 1: It sounds like the new cat person remember that, like article called cat Person that everybody was talking about, and then there was like the other like there's all these like articles like and everyone's like, have you have you read cat Person?
Speaker 3: Like this is different.
Speaker 2: So basically it's a horror movie like Clue Who Done It? But with like gen z vibes, Rachel sent it's in it. Yeah, yes, I've seen a trailer. Yeah it looks amazing. I can't wait to see it. So this critic arts critic at the Times wrote in her review, they wrote, ninety five percent of this movie is an advertisement for cleavage.
Speaker 3: It's all about titties.
Speaker 2: And one of the actresses from that show did not from the movie. Didn't like that, so privately DMD this critic and just wrote, maybe if you weren't so focused on our tits, you could have watched the movie because it's good, like something like that, like you know, sort of looking at her.
Speaker 3: Tits, watch the movie.
Speaker 2: So this critic decides to publicly show everyone this private DM, but still spin it like they're like a victim where they're like these power dynamics. I will not be treated like this, And it's like it was a private DM, like you're making it public.
Speaker 3: There is no power dynamic. Yeah, so the power dynamic.
Speaker 2: It was a black actress, Like, were what power dynamics are you actually talking about? And I don't know either of your names, none of you. I don't you know what I mean. It's like what power? So she and then people start piling on her because she's so annoying, and then a TikTok on surfaces from a while ago where she's just like five tips on how to be a successful writer, and then the first ones like have talent.
Speaker 3: I'm just talented. I don't know what to say.
Speaker 2: I don't even have real formal training, Like I just I am an incredible writer too, have an amazing point of view. You don't have to know the right point of view, but I have a very strong point of view on arts and criticism. And like keeps just talking about She's like, my therapist would love how positive I'm being about myself because I never say nice things about myself.
Speaker 3: So she's talking about like how to be a writer, how she's so good, how her first article was barely edited and made the cover of the Arts and Culture section comes out. Her father works at the New York Times.
Speaker 2: Her father's worked at the New York Times for a long time, and like that works a baby, and this person has the audacity to make a thing going.
Speaker 3: I'm just talented. I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 2: And then like publishing a private DM and maybe like this actress who cares about criticism, but also she was annoyed but it was so that it blew up. And this girl now has you know, deleted her TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, she's gone, no writer, Yeah, out of ran her out of town. Maybe she'll write another article or something. But she was just dragged and she seems annoying. She sounded annoying. She had a bike hanging on her wall, like nothing was good about the situation.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Okay, I missed this whole drama.
Speaker 1: But I did see the trailer for Bodies, Bodies, Bodies, and I'm trying to think of where I saw it, but I it looks good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to see that.
Speaker 2: I want to see Marcel Dechelle, me too. There's one other one someone said was good, but like I, yeah, I would love to because it's so hot here everywhere.
Speaker 3: I would love to see in a movie.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be in the hundreds this week in La, I really want to see Morcella sholl. I know it's going to make me cry. Wait, tell me about your shows. That Caroline's really quick before we start our episode.
Speaker 3: Oh it was awesome. It felt so cool.
Speaker 2: I just really felt like the coolest girl in New York, you know, headlining Carolines and running to the cellar and doing three spots at a night. Like it was just kind of like who am I like, no, you know, it just felt cool. But the last and I met a lot of listeners. Thank you for coming. I appreciate it. Such cuties, fun photos, like cool people. So the last show, there was a couple and their energy was weird, and we figured out that they had met at the airport that day.
Speaker 3: What right.
Speaker 2: Then there's a group of six women in their sixties and they've been friends for fifty years.
Speaker 3: I love that they were doing a girl's trip.
Speaker 2: They saw Michael Jackson the Musical in the day and Lisa Tragger at night.
Speaker 3: They were going to.
Speaker 2: Handle Inn Matine and Sunday they were just like ready to drink.
Speaker 3: It was awesome. Then there was a couple making out dressed sexies.
Speaker 2: So I went, okay, what's your energy? You guys are clearly cheating on people. And they were because I've like used that line before in my standa and it's usually like haha, yeah, but this was like legit and they're both from out of state and flew in to cheat, and so it was just and then there was a private chef from a yacht below deck style, so it was just side god you got like the dream audience stream audience, and in the front there was a Portuguese family with like four or five kids, and the youngest kid, I swear to you, he was eleven years old.
Speaker 3: I was just like, what is happening. I've seen kids at Carolines before and I'm always like.
Speaker 1: Like I've been like why. I remember there was like a family at a show that I did at Carolines that was like from Sweden or Finland or something, and they were all just like had all their kids with them, and I was like, what is going on?
Speaker 3: It was wild? But I love it. Yeah, So it was super fun.
Speaker 2: And you can fucking buy weed at the bodega's dude. Really, you know in La it's like the you know who Sean pass and was explaining this to me, like I like comparing it we're in la It is like the Max Store. You know, they go in, there's cases and ID it's official. There's taxes here. You like, go to a smoke shop or a bodeg and you go, can I get a pre roll? And then they take a zip lock bag filled with pre rolls and then you buy one for fifteen dollars.
Speaker 1: Oh like Lucy's. It's like selling Lucy's.
Speaker 3: I love it. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: You guys buy a vape at from your dude, from the dude that you've been buying, you know, lighters and sandwiches from.
Speaker 3: It's incredible. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now we just have to let everybody out of jail that's in jail for dealing weed.
Speaker 2: I've seen two robberies this week, Jesus, like someone running and then someone chasing after them.
Speaker 3: Trying to get their stuff back. Fuck.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, New York's lit up. Well, listen, we have to start the episode because we could chat all day, but I really quickly wanted to just remind everybody that we are going to be on tour starting very soon. I think this week when you're hearing this episode, we will be in San Diego at Ike Drop Comedy on September fifteenth, that's a Thursday, come see us. We loved our last show in San Diego. We're doing a different episode. And then on September sixteenth, which is a Friday, we will be at Los the Dynasty Typewriter in Los Angeles. But listen, I don't think we've made it clear enough that that is a live stream show. That will be our only show from the whole tour that's live streamed. You can watch that from anywhere anywhere in the US. I think I don't know about other countries. I will check that out, but you can live stream the show, watch it from anywhere. We're going to do an episode that we've never done on a live stream before, and that we've probably never done it a live show. So you're going to get to watch an awesome show and watch it from the comfort of your own home. And that link works for a week, so just you know, get a tick and watch it at your convenience and watch it over and over again if that's what you're into. Then the following week or two weeks later, we're going to be in Texas.
Speaker 3: Woo.
Speaker 1: We're going to be in Austin on the twenty seventh, Dallas on the twenty eighth and Houston on the twenty ninth. Please come see us, guys. We're so excited to be touring and coming to see you guys. And our live shows are so fun. I'm not just saying that because I plan them and participate in them. They are super fun and that's what all of our listeners tell us afterwards.
Speaker 2: And hurry up because someone already wrote that the VIP tickets in New York sold out already.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are gone, like people are buying ticks. So yeah, not.
Speaker 1: To get out there and get your tickets. Bring friends, bring somebody who doesn't even watch us for you. I'm telling you, the drag alongs that come to these shows always have a great time.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Kara, what.
Speaker 2: I had a spinach Arctic show crab Dip yesterday.
Speaker 3: I've had that before. It's amazing. Did it change your life?
Speaker 1: It was really good. Come meet crab Dip with us on our tour. All right, let's start our episode.
Speaker 2: Bye, it's time for countdown. Kara, I would say, we've been wanting to do this episode since we started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know why, I mean to me, it just feels like a huge class, but it is supremely fucked up.
Speaker 3: It seems like it's like season two.
Speaker 1: They know people like their product and they're like, let's just do the most fucked up stuff possible, Like.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. Yeah, it is very scary. Spoiler alert.
Speaker 2: Jim Gaffigan's in this one, so obviously we've you know, that's exciting. It's just like an incredible episode, So I'm really excited to do this.
Speaker 3: We start with commotion.
Speaker 2: There's gridlock on the streets of New York, steam trucks, construction, arrows, you know, lights, a lot of stuff's happening, and the camera is panning and behind all the blinking lights and trucks there's an upper class couple. I would say, right, they look kind of rich, unhappy, you know, unhappy. The man is driving, he's in a bow tie, the wife's the passenger. They're bickering. The man decided to take a shortcut. The wife calls him an idiot. He goes, you took too long to get ready. You look like shit. No, but they're fighting. So then because he wants to get to wherever ballet they're going to on time, The wife goes, why because you want to see your girlfriend and it's like, do you know he's cheating?
Speaker 3: Is the girlfriend at the ballet? Like what is this? So?
Speaker 1: I kind of right, yes that I thought that was kind of funny. They like stuck in just like you know why because your girlfriend's gonna be there?
Speaker 3: Like whoa harsh?
Speaker 1: But like, also, don't you feel like you've seen this opening before? I feel like I've seen two rich people trying to get to the opera, ballet, the gala, the fundraiser, whatever, and like they theycounter a crime. Am I crazy?
Speaker 3: No? You know this, Karra. There's only certain amount of ways you can find a victim, you know what I mean? I walk through the bush.
Speaker 1: I always feel like it's like unhappy rich people bickering when they stumble across a victim.
Speaker 2: You know, absolutely no, it has happened before, and hopefully a psycho is listening that can pinpoint it and said it our way. He doesn't like being accused of having a girlfriend or that his girlfriend's at the ballet, but I would also want to be at the bell and I'm you know what I.
Speaker 3: Mean, Yeah, whatever, let's get there.
Speaker 2: Then we see somebody fall out of a truck and yelp, and the man is looking away and the woman's like something fell out.
Speaker 3: The doors are open. Let the truck driver know.
Speaker 2: So the man like you know, lowers his window to start hollering at the driver, and the truck just peels off. He doesn't give a shit, just like so fast. And then it's like do they go or wait?
Speaker 3: What do they do? Ah?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: And then a little hand reaches up and we see a little hand and they stop the car. And now we're at the and like, how did the van get away? New York City?
Speaker 1: They're in gridlock and suddenly the van's like, I've got a mile to run.
Speaker 2: Away, like so yeah, that's that. So now we're in the hospital. Benson and Stabler are well. Benson's in a Stabler style jacket, which is wild. It's like lammy fur in the middle and down him on the outside. I've never seen Benson in a jacket like that. And then behind and then Stabler is behind her, and then a man with thinning hair and a tie is giving us the scoo. It's Sophie Douglas eight, he says. And the man is a cop. He's not a doctor.
Speaker 3: I didn't know.
Speaker 2: I just saw an outfit, but then there is a badge. So she went missing three days ago. They thought it was a custodial like snatching, but I guess it's not.
Speaker 3: There's no ransom.
Speaker 2: But Benson and Stabler call him out on a like they're like, you're a fuck up.
Speaker 3: It was not. It was a stranger. I don't know.
Speaker 2: They get into a fight and I don't actually know what it's about. And I did watch it a few times. Yeah, do you know what they were fighting about?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was just like you got you know, it's what we talk about all the time. You guys were like convinced it was this custodial snatch and so you didn't like look into any other leads and like it was not that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys are married to your narrative that you get stuck on and then you you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, because Stabler's never done that, right, right. So yeah, But early seasons of SVU, they're really fighting with the other cops a lot. They're trying to prove themselves. So a rape kit is happening, and it's a child and it's a sad exam and it's kind of uncomfortable and weird, and this like, you know, the detectives stroll in as this doctor is like Q tipping this child's vagina. It's like very uncomfortable. It's like, can you have waited two seconds? This is insane.
Speaker 1: I know why they had to go in during that very vulnerable moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seemed weird.
Speaker 2: So the doctor continues the exam and they sneak away, like five feet away, whispering, and the doc stuck starts taking pictures, and then Olivia introduces herself to Sophie, who's so cute, and Benson is blowing bubbles and while she's distracting her malonious talking to the doctor who's explaining the injuries. Not good, definitely rape. Stabler and Benson makes sad eye contact as bubbles float past Benson's face, and then the credits. So now we're back with some squad time whole team and Benson and Stabler are filling them in and Kragan's in Suspenders Classic. So the talk screen did come back positive for tranquilizers.
Speaker 3: Not good.
Speaker 2: The only thing I think about when I think of tranquilizers, I always just think of old school. I think of Will Ferrell getting tranked and being so funny in the La School.
Speaker 1: Well that's a TRNK dart right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't remember.
Speaker 2: It was like meant for one of the animals of the kids party and he goes down and it's like it's kind of like the Kuaylude scene with Leonardo DiCaprio and Wolf of Wall Street.
Speaker 3: It's just like such good acting, Like it's so fun is that where he goes I love you man, but you're crazy? Like yeah, yeah, I like say that all the time. What a good movie. I love school, I love old School. Cool.
Speaker 2: We're going streaking in the quad all right? So the white van duh okay, we know that already. The two witnesses sat behind the van for twenty minutes and couldn't give them one number of the license plate, and Benson's piss and it's like relax, like you want us all memorizing plates constantly while we're in traffic, Like I can't imagine being mad at people for not doing that. And by the way, it's a Pixie Benson, if you were wondering. So Cragan traffic guards them all and sends them all on their missions, and he assigns Benson and Stabler to interview the girl, and she's like, the mom is not really into that vibe.
Speaker 3: And Craigan's like, I don't give a shit.
Speaker 2: Obviously it's you know, you'll be sensitive, but we need this information.
Speaker 3: So we head to the.
Speaker 2: Child Advocate Center of Manhattan on eighty first Street and it's February tenth and Cabots they're chatting with Stabler and she's like, what the fuck? How is everyone still here? I was so late. I thought you'd all be gone. And Stabler's like, well, we're having problems with this mother. She's not willing to separate, she's not willing to help us. She doesn't want Sophie talking alone. She's not gonna speak freely, and like the mom is being very annoying, but I get it. She's being protective, but like truly an annoying person. And Cabot's like, fine, just let the fucking mom in. So we're in the room with Benson and the girl and the lamp base. Did you notice no the lamp So the lamp in the room, like the post of it is a giant red pencil.
Speaker 1: Perfect for the Liza Trigger interior collection. That would be like something in your home design collection.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you said, a really cute lamp.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I lost it along the way, But the stump of it, what is it called the stump.
Speaker 3: Of a lamp? The pole, the handle, what is the base the base lamp? The base of the lamp was a poodle. Oh that's cute.
Speaker 2: And the shade was white and black polka dots. Oh it was good. But i've you are impressed. I felt that.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: So you know, she starts asking questions about the man.
Speaker 3: What color is he?
Speaker 2: She goes like ours hair, she can't remember, but she knows he had scary teeth, like a monster. How did she meet the man? And she starts to get really emotional. She saw a puppy, and it's like, girl, we can all relate, you know what I mean, we can all bring into this puppy.
Speaker 1: I hooked up with a guy one time who told me he had a puppy back at his apartment.
Speaker 3: And then he didn't he did. Oh okay, just saying it's a pretty easy way to get someone to go with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she feels guilty and like she's dumb, but it's like, truly, it could work on any of us. Yeah, she didn't want to get in the van, and she doesn't actually want to talk about it anymore. And then on a tiny TV in the waiting room, Stabler, Cabot and the mom are watching and the mom is like, you heard her.
Speaker 3: She wants to stop.
Speaker 2: It's too much, and Keba goes, we don't care what you think, and you know, they're trying to explain to her it takes time. We don't want to rush her, and the mom suggests taking her, and Stabler talks and is like like talks through the monitor thing, and it's like, hurry up.
Speaker 3: You know, there's the mom's being a bitch.
Speaker 2: So Benson starts pushing her to get the info of the place, a street sign, anything, and Sophie responds that he didn't talk until the room and he said that.
Speaker 3: It was her party day.
Speaker 2: There was balloons and stuff, but it was grim and not a real party because there was no friends there. She said there was cupcakes and punch, and then she fell asleep and when she woke up, he was standing above her and he said it's time for picture day and she had to wear lots of costumes, like a princess, mermaid, ballerina, and she wanted to dress herself, but he had to help her anyways, and that's when the mom freaks out and is like and Stabler stops her and is like, we need to do this and Cabo, it's like focus, focus, and the mom starts crying and doesn't want her to have to relive this, and Stabler's like, don't you want us to find him? And she's like, I want you to kill him? Okay, so let us work, so we continue. What's the next day, they ask, and Sophie says, it's my special day and she had to be really clean, so she had to take up a bubble bath that sucks, and then she gets up and walks into the corner blair Witch style, and she then sadly says, it's like all my fault, and Benson reassures her it's not. She faces away from her and cries, and it's really cute. She has little bangs and you know, she she just he had more puppies in the van, and she starts to cry and Benson's like, I like puppies too, girl ah, and she climbed in and that you know bam, and she's scared her mom will know about it and Benson is like, he tricked you, and she says, nope, I broke the rule. She just wanted to see the puppies, and the mom runs in. They hug the ambra in a real way, but she denies any more questioning and they're taking her home now and they're all mad at her, and Cabot goes, who cares, I have legal recourse. I'll get that bitch. So Stabler says he wouldn't put his girls through this, and then he turns to the women and goes, you wouldn't get it, And so what do we do now? So I guess we have to go canvas. So Benson hopes that Munch and Finn are having a better time with the van lead than they're having talking to Sophie. So we cut to our duo in a car and Finn is eating I love that, but he's not satisfied. He wants a fortune cookie and he's looking and Munch is like, I said, no fortune cookies because they're stale, and it's like, who gives a shit, it's for the fortune what the cookie is?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: I believe like fortune cookies, even if they're stale. I love how they taste. Oh, controversial opinion.
Speaker 3: I love them.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I don't need to eat them at all. But of course I want a fortune. I know I want the fortune, but I also want the cookie. I'm telling you, it's weird. I just like the way they taste.
Speaker 3: It's fine. I mean, I'm sure a lot of people don't. It's not that weird. Okay, so but okay, but for Munch to take away that opportunity for Finn bothers, you don't get to choose for him, Finn Munch. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So they're at a man's a man's van garage spot and his name is Oliver aka Allie Jolly aka Squiggles the clown, and he molested kids.
Speaker 3: He was hired to entertain, obviously.
Speaker 2: So they exit the car to get this guy, and as he leaves his car, this is where Jim Gaffigan appears, can you believe it?
Speaker 3: And he has the whitest eyebrows.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've noticed like how white his eyebrows are, and it does make me uncomfortable. Get some eyebrows, bro. Yeah, he is very blonde, yeah, very blonde. And he's like, hey, who are you? And it's like, bro, you know they're the cops like, who else can these two people be and they're you know, it's a red herring.
Speaker 3: It's a red herring. We know this.
Speaker 2: But he says that he was in Connecticut painting houses all day and that his business is legit, and they're like house painting or raping, Like he's gonna be like, oh, yeah, you're right, I was raping. But the sign for the business on the van is a magnet. So it is an unmarked white van and they're like, we have to look inside. He tries to fight it, but they're gonna go in. And Munch is wearing a Hasidic style black hat with a hint of a Leonard Cohen hat in the mix of it, and asks Oli if he's been up to his old tricks again, and he says no. He keeps saying that he learned his lesson at Sing sing and he knows all about impulse control. But of course they don't trust him, they do not care, and they will be looking into the van, and when they go into the van, there's clown clothing.
Speaker 3: He violated his parole.
Speaker 2: They found the balloons, and they're like, we're gonna dust for fingerprints and bring him in for a lineup, so start talking Bozo.
Speaker 3: He says, no, I didn't give a girl a party.
Speaker 2: But it's like he won't give an alibi that would help him, and so what's gonna go.
Speaker 3: What's happening?
Speaker 2: So Benson and Stabler break in with something they found going through his belongings interesting and it's like it's like a calendar and all the children's events are circled, and he says that doesn't mean anything, and they're like, we're de tech. So we called all these places and everyone saw you, and you were seen at these county fairs and you've been gotten and but he does have his alibi, but he was breaking his parole and being at town fairs with children, so you know he's gonna get in trouble. I'm sure.
Speaker 1: For some reason when I look back on this episode, I always think Gaffigan is the bad guy.
Speaker 3: But he is the red herring. Yeah he is.
Speaker 2: It's just because the other guy is blonde as well, and like, you know, you also you with eyebrows that you can't.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, but I remember being like Gaffigan doesn't really have like fucked up teeth, which is a huge part of this episode. So I wonder if they just gave him like a grill, a bad teeth grill.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I don't think he had to have bad teeth.
Speaker 1: No, I know, in my mind that's what I would think, because I always thought he was the bad guy. But he's not.
Speaker 3: I was creating a full thing that was not real, the Mandala effect.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, So anyways, they say those term touchy feely games. Benson says, Connecticut PD does want a word with him, so they ditch his ass and he's gonna go back to sing. Sing for hanging out with kids at the county fair. But I don't think I've ever been to a county fair.
Speaker 3: Well me neither.
Speaker 1: But like and when I was in Connecticut, I never remember there being a county fair. But there were lots of fairs in the summer, like lots of carnivals where they would show up for just two days. Like I remember, I would always go to one called Saint Leo's. They were big at churches and they were so fun. I loved fairs so much. Okay, great, perfect time.
Speaker 3: And fine kids. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So back of the squad, they're all meeting up and finnhands Olivia Note that says that the mom wants Sophie to have more healing time and doesn't want her chatting yet, so Benson suggests, like, let's call it a day. Then it's eight pm, like peace out. They'll say hell yeah. So then Stabler's like, oh, I'll have time to go to the toy store and buy a gift for the twins' birthday. And Kathy is not gonna believe it that I bought these kids the gifts two days early. And Benson gets on her stell and starts like having flirty chats and making plans for some like sexy dinner time with a guy named Michael, and Munch asks how's mister perfect, and she goes, I mean I've only met him once. We'll see what happens, and doesn't have any plans, but who knows. The night is young, so the whole squad piles into the elevator to have their nice night off. Then boom, Craigan blocks the door from the elevator and says, everybody stays. Man in white van grabbed another girl, so they all pile back out and they start to work. Now it cuts to much at a bodega talking to some men and they explain this guy was American six feet drunk. He says that the teeth of the man were very unfortunate, like Austin Powers. And then Munch asks for the footage from the security tape. It's a broken camera, and the guy says it's better than nothing, and it's like, I don't know, it is nothing. But the guy also paid in cash, but we're gonna try to get, you know, fingerprints off of the cash and something important. He asks for two dollars of his change to be in quarters, so that's going to be a clue. And then finnis TopKing to a man with a violin case, talking about, you know, he heard a smash of glass and he's so he's explaining what he sees, but he's also holding his violin in a case and he keeps calling it her and he's like she doesn't like it in the cold, I have to go protect her. Like he's just like truly fucking the violin. But he said he saw the license plate and it either started with an H or a B. I don't believe that's helpful information. So Munch meets Leather Daddy Finn outside and they start discussing the quarters and mapping out the attack and the struggle, and so basically Miss Guzak.
Speaker 3: She left Kirsten.
Speaker 2: Alone in the car, and then the guy saw it was an opportunity thing, I think, and he grabbed the girl dropped the beer, and that's that. It was not a planned snatch, but he saw an opportunity.
Speaker 3: And then they see a payphone and they.
Speaker 2: Asked the tech to dust it and also to dust all the quarters inside.
Speaker 3: I bet that has never happened in real life ever. Ever.
Speaker 2: Ever, we're now the apartment of Charles and Jean Gouzac, and she is saying how the car was parked right out front. She left her daughter in the car for just one moment, and the dad's like, fuck, it is all my fault. I called and asked her to pick up cigarettes, and it is your fault. And then the mom just like was saying, oh, it was so cold, I just thought it would be easy for her to sit in the car.
Speaker 3: She's, of course crying.
Speaker 2: Benson and Stable are asking for details about seeing anything, and they give her. The parents give them Kirsten's most recent photo. The mom is so worried, like fuck, it's past her bedtime. I hope he doesn't hurt my baby. And Benson pushes like, come on, did you see anything and she says, just the open door, that's.
Speaker 3: All she saw.
Speaker 2: They give her a pick from the last vacation and she has just turned to eight and they're like, we're Shirt's the same guy, and Munch is like, what are the odds there are two pedophiles with horrific teeth snatching kids and like New York, but maybe a lot, but there are there are.
Speaker 3: So many episodes of this show.
Speaker 2: So Benson is confused why he would risk a girl EPs so soon after the last debacle and like the kid falling out of the truck and everything, and Finn goes, I mean he was drunk, you know, Sophie was very organized and Kirsten was an impulse grab. Munch says he's flexible and he's not a first time or obviously, and Benson has pissed because she's requested certain files and they haven't come yet, and it's one thirty am. Stabler's like, fuck, So picture day starts in eight hours. We have to get moving, and so they all scadattle to do their work and now it cuts to past three am and they're all still working and Finn is just looking at mugshots of people with bad teeth in the system. His brow is furrowed, he is working hard. Stabler spits out some coffee and Munch is like, hey, I made that nineteen hours ago, so a bunch, so much. But when Stabler goes to make more, he flips out at Munch. I get like, because Munch puts a lid on an empty can.
Speaker 3: No wonder he keeps getting divorced. Yeah, they're just, but they're all just.
Speaker 1: I think there's just showing how they're all snapped at each other because it's three am and they're all at each other's fucking throats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're are testing this episode. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then Stabler goes, fine, I'm gonna run and get coffee, and Craigan and Munch get their orders in so much a double espresso and Craigan no foam two percent latte, and then Munch adds a pastrami on rye.
Speaker 3: What I really am pastrami on rye?
Speaker 2: Like, I get you're going to vote, like that's what you want from the bodega? No, ha, No, get a turkey sandwich and shut up. Then, before Stabler can leave to get all the coffees. A uniformed cop stops them, and there's boxes and boxes and boxes of files that Benson's been waiting for. So we see that Benson's been sleeping in the crib and Stabler wakes her up and she didn't even get her full thirty minute break. But the files are here. She has bedheads, she's messy. She swivels out of bed, and it's time to work. It's eight am. They've been working for twenty four straight hours. I'm sure you're understanding why this episode is called countdown.
Speaker 3: Yes, baby Kristin has.
Speaker 2: Been missing for twelve Finn is in the corner, being a very lee as the type person and dripping eye drops into his eyes. For those of you who don't know, I am an eye drop queen. And then Much is like, I want some eye drops, and of course Fin will not share, and he says that's how you get pink eye, and Stabler, mister bossy pants, demands Fin gives him, gives the eye drops to Munch.
Speaker 1: I don't remember any of this.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: The eye drops were just important to me because I saw myself represented. Yes, yes, so it's okay that you didn't you know, notice this one eye drop squeeze.
Speaker 1: I also don't think sharing eye drops is the number one cause of pink eye stable or it's not washing your hands after you shit just.
Speaker 3: FYI sure, but there has to be more.
Speaker 2: Is the poop thing real or is that just like it is it's always poop?
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's like people that are like sharing eye drops and like when was the last time you touched the eye dropper too?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't like to share mascara or like eyeliner or anything like, sure, no, you shouldn't, you shouldn't, you shouldn't.
Speaker 1: But I think that it's mostly nine cases out of ten it's poop.
Speaker 2: Well, my favorite eye drops are the Refresh and they come in like little vials that are like tiny plastic like you get like disposable, yeah, disposable. I like those. And it's like a little trail I leave behind. It's like a bobby bin. It's like, you know, I've been around. If there's little eye drop things everywhere, I just don't take off my makeup at night, and it does cause a lot of problems for my ducts. Okay, So Benson and Saylor are doing a super speed walk and talk and they're like, we need to talk to Sophie again. We know the mom said she needed more time, but that's before he snatched another girl.
Speaker 3: We have to help her.
Speaker 2: So they go to the Douglas residence and she's being so difficult and she's like, she told you everything she remembers, and it's like, well, how do you note that? And she starts rattling off off all the trauma symptoms that her daughter is suffering, and it's like, yeah, we know, but like, let's save the girl.
Speaker 3: And she does not care.
Speaker 2: Just another bit of evidence how being a parent does not make you a better person. She does not give a shit about this other child being taken. And so Stabler says, we'll get a judge to order you, and she goes, well, that's just what you'll have to do.
Speaker 3: That's kind of a drink game thing. I do love when people like this little exchange throughout the history of SVU, I enjoy it.
Speaker 2: Cabot and opposing counselor are pleading their cases in chambers to Judge Petrovsky and she is listening intensely. The mom thinks it's cruel, but Petrovsky orders a chat and the mom cries, and it's like, relaxed, she's safe, and you need to help this other person. So now we're back chatting with Sophie. And now I notice there's an ice cream shaped rug on the floor. So this really is a fun little investigation room for children. The pencil lamp is in the scene as well. Benson is so clever and slick and is like, well, do you ever order pizza? Like, what's the name of the pizza box?
Speaker 3: Cool? So, now that you're kidnapped, like, what did you know? Did you get takeout? Like did you see where you ate food from?
Speaker 2: And she stakes her hand and says no, all they ate was cupcakes, fruit punch, and candy corn and that's it.
Speaker 3: No dinner.
Speaker 2: And she asked like, was there anything with a name on it? And she goes, oh my god, Yes, there was a streamer at the party and it had my name on it.
Speaker 3: So what else was at the party? We got balloons and he blew them up with his own what is it helium tank machine? And he talked like a cartoon. Oh is that what whippets are?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, no, I think whippets are we'll go into like whipped cream and like other kind.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, I like whippets.
Speaker 1: But if you suck it, it doesn't do anything because I do it all the time whenever around.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's just like a fun voice just makes your release like a chipmunk.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, cute. I mean, you don't even need helium. You just killed that. So now we're outside with the crew.
Speaker 2: It's a rainy day, and they're like, oh, he went shopping for the streamer after he had the girl, So let's figure out like how many party stores there are where you can rent a helium tank and all of that stuff. And then the stabler again is on this facade that's so delusional where he's like, great, and I'll pick up some decorations for the twins' birthday party. And it's like, in what world is Kathy making you responsible for this? Like just what stop lying to all of us and yourself. So they're at Aladdin's party supplies and the worker knows him, and again the bad teeth come up again. He did get a helium tank. He paid cash because now they have mini tanks and you don't have to rent a big one. He comes in every few weeks for the seasonal candy ding Ding Ding ding Ding candy corn. I like the like Little mush the pumpkin candy corn more than traditional candy corn.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge candy corn fan. I know people think it's gross, but I love it so much.
Speaker 3: I love it. I just would rather have the pumpkins. Yeah, I like a mix. I like the candy corn with the pumpkin. But do you like the candy ki don't you like it? Which I think is called I'm not going to say it. I don't like that corn.
Speaker 1: I think it's called Indian corn, but I don't know if you're allowed to say that anymore, because it's like Native American, not Indian.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like the chocolate corn. But when you but now they call it harvest corn.
Speaker 2: Harvest corn, and okay, we got the right word. We got the right word. If you like chocolate candy corns, it's harvest corn. Thanks for the investigative reporting, Kara.
Speaker 1: Back to you in the studio.
Speaker 2: Lisa back at the office and everyone is working hard. Benson's date calls and she's like, sorry, bro, I gotta go.
Speaker 3: Wait.
Speaker 2: Did you see the Samuel clip that he posted on his Twitter doing Pittsburgh. So, as comedians sometimes when you're on the road, you have to do morning television or radio.
Speaker 3: Is pressed to sell tickets.
Speaker 2: And on morning news they asked him why he's a comedian, and he goes, my uncle molested me, and he keeps so I don't remember what else he says, but then the reporters are just like, we don't really know where to go from here.
Speaker 1: He says like he was molested by an uncle and so he needed to like tell Dick jokes to forget about it or something like it was. It sounds bad now that we're were counting it, but it really made me laugh when I watched the clip.
Speaker 2: It was funny. It seemed like a purposeful joke. I accidentally brought up rape on morning news in Ohio and I was with Mateo. We were co headlining Mateo Lan and all these people are very funny. Go follow them if you don't already. But Mateo and I were there, and so like he starts dying laughing because he he suddenly sees like everyone losing it and not knowing what to do. The man co host is like turning red and blotchy, and Mateo just can't stop laughing that I said rape like at nine am. But I thought it was a funny story. Anyways, back at.
Speaker 3: Thought, oh my god, there is a clay And.
Speaker 2: I didn't brush my hair because I thought it was radio. So I also looked out of control. I'll post a photo from this news program, but I looked wild. I did morning news yesterday and I had one eye open. I was like, truly, no makeup, just like sitting there being like, picks news, Come see me this weekend. Back at the office and everyone harvest corn. Okay, back at the office and everyone's working really hard. Benson's date calls and she's like, sorry, bro, I'm obviously trying to save a child. So Sailor's on the phone with Kathy, who's of course mad at him.
Speaker 3: They're at thirty six hours.
Speaker 2: Munch sadly finds three autopsy reports with the same items in the stomach that he fed Sophie.
Speaker 3: And that is sad, but.
Speaker 2: At least we have clues information and we could hopefully get closer to catching this guy. But now, okay, wow, that was rude, Kara JK.
Speaker 3: I sneezed, but you know what, you know what, I'm.
Speaker 2: Referring to there's a video on YouTube of Christina Aguilera and she's like doing an interview and someone coughs off camera, and she goes, did you really just cough?
Speaker 3: Right now?
Speaker 2: I can't believe He's just like truly gets livid that a man coughed.
Speaker 3: It was the best So I kind of love doing it to people.
Speaker 2: Okay, So anyways, but what's sad about this information is now we know that he kills the girls, So I don't love that all three are strangled, all three killed in three days of getting snatched, and all three found near the water, But like, how is there no pattern? You know, it's all separate burrows. Sophia escaped from the van on the third day near the East River, so I'm glad she's alive, Like he was obviously going to dump her in the water. Kirsten starts the third day tomorrow, so they all have to stay at work and we have to save this girl. They're going over past cases and pinning on a map where all the girls were found, and like the time between snatches decreases every single time water washes away DNA. But they are all white girls in the ages between seven and nine. Finn says the guy is definitely a loner, and Munch says he's impulsive and socially marginalized. Stabler is like, is he smart or fickle? Like, we don't you know he's bouncing around town? Is this some purpose? Or is he a maniac? One Pp is also bothering them because they want to go public, but Benson is scared if we release too much information, then he'll know that we're looking for him, and he'll dump the van, or he'll change something, or he'll get rid of the girl, and so they really want to tread lightly with what information they release, but they so she thinks just the composite, So everyone's talking to Cragan, and Craigan says, this guy's super ritualistic. So let's release the composite and van, but hold back the time clock. And now a mom of one of the dead girls shows up and she hands Stabler photo of her daughter who's dead, and goes, this was her last school photo.
Speaker 3: It came in the mail three weeks after she was murdered.
Speaker 2: And it's like, you would think the company would maybe communicate a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's an automated process, ma'am. I'm sorry, the pictures are just going out, but she.
Speaker 2: Wants the sailor to put the photo in his pocket when he catches the man. There weren't any leads before, but you know, she believes in the sv detectives. Everyone's on edge and needs some sleep. Craigan flips out and yells about you know, it being a pig sty and Benson's like, you're the one who said no janitor, and he's like, yeah, Olivia, it's my fault.
Speaker 3: And it's like they're all losing it.
Speaker 2: Munch says that they got prints off the phone, but also like who called? And there was a ten second call around this time and it was to Saul Gardner.
Speaker 3: So they go visit this dude. It's a mess.
Speaker 2: He's as shoveled man in his fifties and he's shitting on the detectives and how bad they look, and it's like, you look pretty bad too. But he's denying the call. He said that he was on a date with a girl. They don't believe he can get a girlfriend. They're like, listen, do you have a message you talk, like, tell us what happened. Also, this man has been in for us. S v u's just so you guys know, and each time he's like a random man. Em Yeah, he's like always a random man with information, but he's not being helpful. But he swears he has no idea. So then the next day the papers hit the stands and the phone start ringing, ringing, ringing. Psychics are calling people have tips. So Craigan comes in and yells, you four off the phones. We got a DNA hit in the database from Sophie cold hit. So it was a sample from an their body from five years ago. And that's another victim. And that was actually before he got smart and started dumping in the water. So he left this girl in an abandoned factory and since it was sloppy and not in the water, they're like, oh, maybe it's close to where he lives in Queens, And so they had some Queens. Stabler's telling Benson how he got nothing for the Twins party.
Speaker 3: Ha ha.
Speaker 1: The runner of the Twins party is going to end you, Lisa. You're gonna it's gonna drive you off a.
Speaker 3: Cliff because Benson's been with him the whole time, Like, of course she knows you didn't get anything for the party. You've been together. It's raining.
Speaker 2: They have giant folders like the Manila folders, and they go to meet two detectives.
Speaker 3: Eating at a diner. I love diners.
Speaker 2: They don't want to be helpful and they want to play games. And this woman is from OZ. If you are a big OZ person, she was like a correctional officer who raped all of the inmates.
Speaker 3: She was.
Speaker 2: An incredible actress at Kristin Rohade. She was like and sadly she did die in twenty sixteen at the age.
Speaker 3: Of fifty two. Oh my gosh, she's familiar to me. Yeah, she is great.
Speaker 2: You know, she was a New York actress, a lot of procedurals cop shows, but Oz. She was a serious regular and an incredibly evil character. So yeah, I can't wait till rewatch OZ. And Sailor's trying to be, you know, reason with the guys and be kind and like we need your help. And immediately these queens people are so defensive. They're like, oh, yeah, like we had information but kept it secret because we're lazy, That's what it is.
Speaker 3: And they're like, we have no time for this bullshit.
Speaker 2: Ventson, slams on the table, and gives a speech about being on like turfs and ticking clocks and help and like.
Speaker 3: We're tired, and to me, it's just like.
Speaker 2: How embarrassing, Like a girl is missing and you're like arguing about turf, Like.
Speaker 3: It's just so humility.
Speaker 2: Staylor's like, listen, you interviewed like two hundred people. We don't have time to interview all these people. Did anyone stick out? So they go through the files to give their favorite options, and they're like anyone with bad teeth?
Speaker 3: Like what's going on?
Speaker 2: So they pick three people that they think, you know, that they pinned for the dude. So they go meet one of the guys who's welding. He doesn't have a white van. He's like, I know why you're here, and it ain't me, bitch. And so then they go to the next place and it's Dawson's photo studio and to look for mister Mills, one of the you know guys in the folder and another guy's working there and he goes, oh, yeah, that guy works here, but he's not here today, and they're looking around. They go, oh, so you do school pictures and he goes, yep, school pictures are my bread and butter. And Clayton comes and does lights and helps, and then it clicks. The photo he has in his pocket of the dead girl has the same clouds background as the photo backdrop in the studio, and the guy confirms that he took this photo.
Speaker 3: Holy shit.
Speaker 2: He uses the school as a hunting ground. Finally a break, he rents the room from an old woman. So they rush to missus Rapaport's house. The guns in the air. You know, they're entering empty up, so guns, guns, guns. They see a purple blue and there's a party set up.
Speaker 3: It says Sophie.
Speaker 2: You know how, it says Sophie, and streamers it now, says Kirsten, and then the newspapers in the house.
Speaker 3: He saw it.
Speaker 2: He's on the move. Fuck, there's blood. The blood leads to a dead old woman. He killed Rappaport. So we cut back to the precinct where they all fill Kraigan and the neighbors say that she goes to Atlantic City a couple times a year, and that must be when he does the attacks because she usually goes for four days. But she lost all her money, so she came home early and he murdered her. Benson and Stablers start fighting, and he tells her to take a nap, and she says, screw you, and Daddy Craigan's like break it up.
Speaker 3: And so it's cute.
Speaker 2: And then he makes Benson go breathe the air, and he makes Elliott go talk to his wife. Kathy is there with the twins and you know, there's hugs. It's cute, and he sends them to Munch, who has pudding cups, and then Kathy and Stabler hug. He apologizes and of course she's handled everything for the party. The twins back and Munch for some reason gave the moldy old pudding that was fuzzy. Yeah, like that Bart really confused me too, I was like, what, like, I don't get that. The twins give Stabler a gift, a toothbrush and a fresh shirt. He hugs them so hard Benson calls. He goes after you know, he kisses Kathy and runs away as Kathy is holding the new shirt in the presence like he's not changing. He doesn't care if he stinks. He has to find this girl Saul. Finally, they like wanted to check back with Saul. They didn't trust him the PayPal guy, and what they figured out was he has a pawn shop, and he finally admitted that Clayton called him and said that like he needed money, but he was scared to go to the pawn shop. So they're gonna meet in a remote area to like do pawn shop activities, and so they decided to do a sting. So Saul's in the front seat of the van and Munch is sitting in the back and he goes, so, what does this guy got barbie dolls? And he said, oh no, he said there he knows an old lady with an attic full of antiques and jeweler and he sells it for her. And Munch is like, he murdered her, you idiot, And he's like, oh my god, I thought like, yeah, a thief, but not a kidnapping, raping killer. And Munch then threatens him and says, if you do anything to tip him off, you're going down for being an accomplice.
Speaker 3: And he's scared. He's like, what if he shoots me?
Speaker 2: And Monch she's like, I'll lift, but there are sharpshooters everywhere in swat teams, and then a white van pulls in, but Saul keeps like looking back at Munch and talking and Munch is like, shut up, motherfucker stop. If he sees you talking and looking, he's gonna know the white thing like sorry.
Speaker 1: It's like the same vibes as the lou Diamond Phillips episode where the guy it's like, shut up, stop fucking talking. All you have to do is sit there and pretend like you're doing your normal job.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was thinking of the train guy the whole time as well. Yeah, And so the guy in the white van is suspicious and he you know, they yell out the windows, but no one really moves. And then I think he like notices one of the Swat team people, so they're a bad at their jobs as well, and he starts backing up, but the cops are driving in and then he tries to drive forward.
Speaker 3: More cops.
Speaker 2: He's surrounded your toast, bro, so you know, freeze, freeze, get your hands up. They take him disgusting ass out of the van, slam him up against the wall, and arrest him and the girls in the back of the truck and she is alive, thank gone, and a princess dress. Stabler gets her and carries her out. She's gonna live, and then you know, our criminal gets put in a cop car. Now we're at Rikers and the client wants a deal. Now this lawyer's playing it, play Frank Deal. That's funny. So the client wants the deal and the lawyers played by Frank Deal. I wanted to say it again because it was really fun. So he's the FBI guy from Downloaded Child if you remember, Oh yes, yeah, he looks to child abuse images all day in the dark Web, and he's been in eight episodes as different characters.
Speaker 3: We love him.
Speaker 2: And Cabot says, your client rapes and kills children. The only deal he is getting is a free last meal. But he does have a bargaining chip. There's another dead girl that none of you know about, and the body was never recovered, and Cabot says, I don't care. I have four victims. I don't need a fifth one, so like, go fuck yourself. I'll get a death penalty with or without. And he says, well, I bet the mother would like some closure. So she's like, tell me the girl's name and he won't, but he says that she was his first victim, a perfect little princess, sweet as can be, and Cabot.
Speaker 1: So grows the way he talks to He's like that whisper talky voice and.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, he's a creep We hate him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we do not love him. So Cabot says, give me her name, and he says, then take the death penalty off the table and I'll shout it from the rooftops. And he is really creepy. If you guys don't watch it and you do want to be creeped out, this is pretty creepy. Cabot asks her, you know, the boss, like the head guy for you know, can you approve the deal? And he's like, I'm a public servant and the public doesn't want this boil on the butt of humanity living to a ripe old age and the senior eightya guy is played by Jeffrey Jeffrey Demon dooman demon whatever. But he has one hundred and nineteen credits. I mean, he was in The Blob like so cool, like really acting for really decades. He's been in Billions most recently. He has very evil eyebrows. He was in The Walking Dead a lot of Dick Wolf and he played opposite Sara Jessica Parker.
Speaker 3: And divorced for like four or five episodes. As like a bad lawyer.
Speaker 2: So she's like, think of the mother, and he's like, I'm sure she wants him dead too, and Cabot's like, sure, but she wants to know where her baby is. And he retorts, well, what about all the mothers who want him dead and the city, even the protesters of the death penalty? You want him dead? You don't know what she says, So basically, Cabot then brings in Sophie's mom, and finally she decides to be helpful, and she convinces the man to help them find the body of the other girl. And the man is taking it in and she's like, I want him dead, but you've got to help this woman. To the dramatic music that leads us to like a winter deep grave. There's snow and he's in an orange jumpsuit and shackles. It's raining. Benson and Stale have umbrellas a little red shoe gets taken out of the hole. He nods, we found the body of the girl who was never found. And then it's Benson and Stabler waiting outside of a home like walk you know, waiting to walk up to deliver the news to the mother. The mom opens the door, and that's the end of the episode.
Speaker 3: A toughie. It is a toughy and they did a good job.
Speaker 2: Like this seems like obviously the crime is really horrific and it's about, you know, a terrible person. But I think this one also like how hard a life of the detectives are.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, even especially when someone is yeah, like moving fast like that and like they know that there's a timeline and yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Then having to deliver the news and sleeping and missing your kid's life. So it's a very like window into the world of a detective. So I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like at one point Benson goes the only time I talk to those guys when I'm calling to cancel. It's like, yeah, that's you don't have a great social life now.
Speaker 3: So that was a fun one.
Speaker 2: I really don't want to know about the crime, but we will know about it.
Speaker 3: So see you after the break.
Speaker 1: And we're back to ruin your day with a horrific real crime. So this episode is based on a Scottish serial killer and pedophile named Robert Black. He had a lot of the classic stuff we see in serial killers.
Speaker 3: He was born out of wedlock. His mother gave him up.
Speaker 1: He had multiple foster parents who maybe allegedly beat him. He was a bedwetter. He went on to live in like care homes. When he was at one care home, he was molested there. He was obsessed with genitals, putting things up his ass. He was described as antisocial. Alone escalated quickly. I just want to I don't want to do like a whole this guy's whole fucking life. I just want to give you like a quick paragraph on this guy's life and then we move on to the crimes.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have not even talked for one whole minute and we're already putting things up an ass.
Speaker 3: Like it is wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but because it's all very textbook. It's like I could go through it all, but you'd be like, yeah, Ted Bundy too. Yeah, Like it's all very textbook of what we see with a lot of these people, anti social, aloner, without a lot of friends, very unkempt, like gross, like not into showering, like bad hygiene, you know, like like nothing specific about bad teeth, but it talks about how gross he is many times in all my research that he like is not clean, you know.
Speaker 3: Interesting and so yeah, so it's embarrassing.
Speaker 1: In nineteen sixty three, a seven year old girl was playing alone in a park when Black lured her away with the promise of kittens, so right from the episode, and then he choked her unconscious and masturbate it over her body. But he did not kill her. He did not kill her. She was She lived, and he was arrested in charge with lude and libidinous behavior.
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know how they have like so many weird in the UK.
Speaker 1: It's always like you've been charged with Bobby dagging and you know, cookle shelling, Like you never know what the fuck they're talking about, Like that's what.
Speaker 3: He jerked off above a child? Lock him up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, here's what happened. He had a psych exam, and the psych exam suggested that this was an isolated incident and that he needed no treatment. Cool, so he just kept going about his day, probably just yeah, being gross. And in nineteen sixty six his landlords found out that he'd been molesting their nine year old granddaughter, but they just kicked him out and.
Speaker 3: Didn't call the police.
Speaker 1: Fucked up. Then in sixty seven, he moved in with a married couple and molested their six year old daughter, but they went to the police, thank god, and he did get a year in prison for that. So he goes to prison for a year for molesting the six year old girls. Not enough, I know, I know. And then in nineteen sixty eight he went back, he went back to London and started working odd jobs and building up a quite a large child sex abuse material collection. So he's like obsessed with, you know, child sex abuse material. So chronologically, his first murder that he committed was Jennifer Cardi.
Speaker 3: She was nine years old.
Speaker 1: He kidnapped, sexual assaulted, and murdered her in August of nineteen eighty one in northern Ireland, and she had just been biking to a friend's house. Her bike was found hidden under some leaves, and then her body was found six days later by some fishermen in a reservoir and she had been like drowned and strangled. So then his second but her murder is not attached to him until two thousand and nine. So then his second victim was almost a year later, in July of nineteen eighty two. She's eleven year old Susan Maxwell who's walking home from playing tennis and her body was found two weeks later by a truck driver and she had been bound and gagged with they say, sticking plaster and a lot of these articles because I'm reading articles that are from like Scottish and Irish and English publications, but I feel like that's duct tape to correct me if I'm wrong. My Brits and her underwear had been removed and folded beneath her head.
Speaker 3: And that's that she had been sexually assaulted.
Speaker 1: Because a couple of these victims were found so much later that the amount of decomp in their bodies unfortunately you couldn't tell that they were sexually assaulted, but like ninety nine percent chance they were. And Susan had been in blacks Van alive or dead for over twenty four hours while he finished his delivery route all around Scotland and then he ditched the body on his trip from Glasgow to London.
Speaker 3: And then so this is where it's similar to the episode.
Speaker 1: This guy is killing people all over the place, and in obviously on SPU they condense it just to the five boroughs, but that's why it's like hard to find him.
Speaker 3: And in this one it's like it's Glasgow.
Speaker 1: It's like all over the UK and honestly later other parts of Europe, but we'll get to that. Black's the second third victim, excuse me, is his youngest victim, who was five years old. Her name was Caroline Hogg. She went missing while playing outside of her house in Edinburgh, the suburbs of Edinburgh in eighty three, so almost a year later. So it's feeling like he's doing it once a year, kind of like how this guy in this episode was only doing it once or twice a year when he had like the opportunity. The search for Caroline was the largest in Scottish history at the time, so pretty huge. They had two thousand local volunteers, fifty members of the Royal Scots, few silliers, and her disappearance was all over the media and eyewitnesses had seen a sketchy man wearing glasses watching Caroline while she played. They also saw him followered when you're nearby fairground. Why no one said anything, I don't understand. And people saw them both sat on a bench chatting and him paying for her carousel ride and watching her ride it I need a shower anyway, and then they found her body about two weeks later in a ditch and cause of death could not be determined because of the extent of the decomposition as well, and the lack of clothing suggested a sexual nature to the crime.
Speaker 3: So the cops.
Speaker 1: Figured out pretty quickly that Susan and Caroline's murders were connected. And like I said, they didn't connect Jennifer's two thousand and nine, but they connected the first two and with the locations being far apart, they that made them think, oh, this must be a truck driver or someone who works, like you know, covering long distances for their living, and it's not it kind of works into their life that they're going from, like you know, country to country. So they connected these two girls because they were both likely sexually assaulted, they were both bound, and they were both wearing white ankle socks at the time that they were taken. So they quickly formed a task force and the guy who headed that up was a guy named Hector Clark. I think he actually just died last year, and he was an assistant Chief Constable from Northumbria who took over the investigation. So remember how I talked about in the Yorkshire Ripper case, how they had this like super old school analog system of getting tips, like they had paper cards, and everybody ridiculed them and was like, you guys fucked this up because they just had thousands and thousands of paper cards and they got ripped to shreds for it, like in the press. Hector Clark did not want to look like them, and so he was like, we're using computers this time. And so they formed a Holmes database that's Holmes that all the forces could use. And I guess it was like really pricey, but it's really good that they did it because many unsolved crimes that were totally unrelated to this one got solved because of all the information they were putting into the database about like suspects, vehicles, blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: So now it's March of nineteen eighty six.
Speaker 1: It's three years after Caroline Hogg's body is found and Sarah Jane Harper, aged ten, goes missing from a suburb in Leeds in England, and the police are looking for a white Ford van and they say that the suspect is possibly a balding, stocky white man who isn't Three weeks later, her body was found in a river seventy miles from where she went missing, and they determined that she had died between five and eight hours of her abduction. So like in the episode, like they said there obviously isn't the same thing with the.
Speaker 3: Picture day and the birthday day and then.
Speaker 1: The special day. But he does take a certain amount of time with them and then kill them pretty quickly. And her murderer, luckily, was very quickly linked to the murder of Maxwell and Hogg, like for this time period, and for like the amount of technology they had, which like even though they were using a computer, it's kind of like amazing that they were.
Speaker 3: They linked all these together so quickly.
Speaker 1: And it's probably why this guy did not end up being able to work for like more decades. And the man this was like a full on manhunt for this guy. It ended up being like almost a decade, and they ran checks on anyone with sexual assault charges within ten years, but Black had been busted in nineteen sixty seven, so his didn't pop because his only charge had been like you know, outside of that ten year thing.
Speaker 3: So then in nineteen.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight, the FBI, the old trust, the FBI shows up with George Wang probably and they profile this guy. They say that the killer would be between thirty and forty years old, a loner, looking a mess, not very educated, and they said that his motives for the killing is sexual. So it's like, well, the Yorkshire Ripper, it seemed like he just wanted to murder this man. It was the murder is just to get rid of the sexual, you know, assault that he had done. So he had a fixation on you know, child sex abuse material, kept momentos from his victims, and they also thought that.
Speaker 3: This is so horrible. They also just spoiler alert for how horrible this is.
Speaker 1: They also thought that he probably engaged in necrophilia and did stuff to the victim's bodies before he got rid of them. So in nineteen eighty eight, he tried to kidnap Teresa Thornhill, who was actually fifteen, but she was four foot eleven and very like petite, and that may have made him think that she was like younger than she was because fifteen's usually a little bit older than he goes for.
Speaker 3: And she was able to fight back and get away.
Speaker 1: She grabbed his balls that loosened up his grip and she was like struggling. She had just left her boyfriend and her boyfriend like was able to turn around and like see what was going on because she was struggling.
Speaker 3: So he came.
Speaker 1: She scratched as she was able to bite his arm like all this stuff. So Teresa Thornhill a badass. She gets away, but they do connect it to the same guy, like it's all connect So now in nineteen ninety, this is nine years after Jennifer Cardy, but eight years after his last note his first known victim, which was Susan Maxwell. A postal worker named David Hrkis was outside of his house saw a van grab his six year old neighbor.
Speaker 3: Just like it's like a movie.
Speaker 1: He said. He saw the van pull up and he saw the little girl like standing on the sidewalk and then he just saw her feet lift up off the sidewalk and like him pull her into the van. So he gets the van's plate number and calls the police immediately.
Speaker 3: This is wild.
Speaker 1: They arrived within six minutes, like everything's happening very quickly with this investigation. The police get there super quick. They're all figuring out what's going on. He's describing the van to the police and then he goes, that's it. There's the van, right there and they see the same van coming back through the village and.
Speaker 3: They stop the van. They arrest the driver.
Speaker 1: The missing girl's father is a cop, so he's there with all the other cops.
Speaker 3: He gets onto the.
Speaker 1: Van calling his daughter's name. They find her bound, gaged a hood over her head, inserted headfirst into a sleeping bag.
Speaker 3: The poor thing. But she's alive.
Speaker 1: But they said she would have died if she was in there like that for fifteen more minutes, she would have like suffocated. Unfortunately, even in that insanely quick amount of time twenty minutes, they said he was able to sexually assault her. He had taken her to a place and then he had taken a wrong turn and gone back through town and that's how they busted him. So this guy was it was a completely wrong turn that got him arrested and caught. And when they stopped him and they pulled the girl out of the car, the guy just like super bizarre response, but he said, quote, what a day it's been.
Speaker 3: It was a rush of blood.
Speaker 1: I've always liked young girls since I was a young kid, and I think it was a rush of blood is a phrase that they use over there to just say like, oh, it's something I did impulsively. But you know, then obviously they looked into this guy and it was not like a some of his It was, like we talked about in the episode, some of his kidnappings seem to be completely opportunistic, like he's just in a place where he sees a girl in a car with her mom going in to get cigarettes, and sometimes it was planned out. He found them, he lured them away, whatever he had, you know, a kitten or a puppy ready. So, but they did talk about in some of the articles I read how he was like an opportunistic killer. So he would sometimes describ people that he saw, and that might have been what got inbusted in this case. So a search of his van found you know, ropes, tape, hoodies, a polaroid camera, girl's clothing, a mattress, and it says a selection of sexual aids.
Speaker 3: I don't want to know what those are.
Speaker 1: So just for the abduction of this last girl in a town called Stow, they don't release her name, but the Stowe school girl they call her. Just for this, he gets life in prison. So then they try to just tie him to the other stuff while he's in prison for that. So in nineteen ninety four, like truly, thirteen years after his first known murder, he goes to trial for the murders of Maxwell Hogg and Harper and he's found guilty and on his way out of the courtroom, he turns to all the detectives who have been chasing him for like over a decade and say, tremendous, well done boys, that's what he says. So this man doesn't really get how to talk to people, I don't think or what's normal behavior. In two thousand and nine, he is tried and found guilty for the abduction, sexual assault, murder of Jennifer Cardy as I mentioned, And unlike this Siko in the episode, he never admitted to any of these murders. He never was like, yep, this is me. I love these girls and this is what I did. He just never he never had not guilty.
Speaker 2: He plaied not guilty, but then he said good job, boys, like you got me.
Speaker 3: So isn't that kind of a missions.
Speaker 1: Kind of yeah, kind of this is what I was reading. There's a guy named Ray Weier who was a big person in the field of treating sex offenders, and he interviewed Black many times between nineteen ninety and ninety three, and he says that it was all about control why he was not confessing, And Wyers said, quote, He's the sort of person for whom it's all about power and control. Having information about what he's done gives him power. He has no desire to ease his conscience, and he's not going to give up the one thing that gives him power over the pain that his victims' families are suffering.
Speaker 3: End quote.
Speaker 1: I did read that on Wikipedia, the Wikipedia about Robert Black. I think it's probably attributed to a book, as many things on Wikipedia are, but that is where I read it.
Speaker 3: And he ended up.
Speaker 1: Black ended up dying of a heart attack in jail in twenty sixteen, So he was in jail for over twenty years, and he was sixty eight when he died. And it is thought that he could be connected to a possible dozen other murders all over Europe, but none of it has been proven. Like there's murders in France, in Germany, Netherlands, Ireland, all kinds of places where they think that the crimes involve a white van or like the bodies are found in a similar fashion, so then we won't know I know, so fucked.
Speaker 2: But because when the cop was at the scene of the crime, did he know that his daughter was the one being taken?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's like a small town, so I mean, I guess the chance of someone being their dad being a cop is high.
Speaker 2: I don't know, just to have a thing on your head and being a sleeping bag has haunted me throughout this whole time we've been talking.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I know, I know, but she did live. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, how crazy that he even had the time to commit a crime like he just that's how like, you know, desperate this guy is. He doesn't even try to like get somewhere like far away where he won't get caught. He's just like I you know, like a true sick pedophile. You know.
Speaker 3: But listen, if they fucking kept him in jail earlier, all of these girls could be alive and not fucking traumatized.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it is so fucked up that he was jerking off on top of children and people are like, ah, he's fine, let him out.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, wellstaid just the year what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, The fact that we just didn't like, they just didn't consider like that these kind of crimes would lead to other crimes. And it's fucked up because it truly would have could have stopped.
Speaker 3: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: They were never going to put him in jail forever, and he would have kept doing it.
Speaker 3: You know. Yeah, I'm glad he's dead and I.
Speaker 1: Don't Yeah, Samesise, Okay, but we have a really amazing guest interview, so as always, we're excited to have that cleanse your palette.
Speaker 3: So don't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Guys, We have an amazing guest this week. She is a prolific actor from both television and the Broadway stage.
Speaker 3: You may know.
Speaker 1: Her for her one of her most well known roles playing Terry Hatcher's daughter Julie Meyer on Desperate Housewives, and recently she started in a bunch of Lifetime movies, including Psycho, Sister in Law and the upcoming Hall Past Nightmare. But you knew her in today's episode as the adorable Sophie Douglas. Guys, listen to our amazing chat with Andrea Bowen. Thank you so much for talking to us today. This is like huge, I'm a huge Desperate Housewives fan. So I feel like I feel like I've known you since you were a teen, but I haven't. But you got into like the Dick Wolfe universe as like a baby. You were like five years old or something on the original, on an original Law and Order.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did. I've done a total of three lawn orders in the Law and Order universe. The first one I did, I was either five or six. Uh, it was very early in my professional career. We'd just moved to New York. And it is not just me, It is me, my brother Cameron, my brother Alex, and my sister Jillian.
Speaker 3: Wow a family affair.
Speaker 4: Family affair. Yeah, we were all cast to play a family and I I don't know. I think our mom was I don't remember. There was some something of course happened and then we were we were grace stricken. And then I did another episode of Law and Order the original the following year, I think, or something like that. Really shortly after and that one, uh, maybe my mom was the victim of a carjacking. Something happened where she got shot, because I remember they had to put blood on me, they had to put brain stuff on me, brain matter, and and they showed me how they made it, and they told me I could eat it, and you know, all the fun memories of being on set as a kid. So by the time I did SVU, I had already done. I'd already I'd already paid some paid some dues for that SVU Or did you like I went to the whole audition process. I think that one too, because it was a larger, you know, guess star type of thing that they that they wanted to you know, see, they knew me from some work in the past, but I'd been a couple of years and they were like, let's see what you could do.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Well, it's like a very terrifying episode, but you're so adorable in it. You're like such a cute I mean, it makes it like more powerful that you're like so cute. You have such a like little voice and like such a little voice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so funny, so funny to look back on now, I'm like, was I I was really that small and had that tiny of a little voice.
Speaker 2: And well, so watching it, the subject matter is intense and now you're talking about smlish brains and the blood and then in this episode you have to recount this horrific trauma so do they explain it to you in different ways? Did you know what you were saying? How do they kind of prep you for that being so little?
Speaker 4: So you know, look, I think in twenty twenty two, I would love to say that maybe the writers and or the production or the casting would have a hand in the way this information is distilled to younger people. I don't know if that is the case now, I would venture to say it is still not quite there. It really falls from my experience mostly on the parents and how they or maybe the agents, but usually it's it's the parents who who kind of figure out, like, how do we want to bro to this type of very serious subject matter with our children, and and it's kind of left there. So I would say, one, I'm very fortunate. I have incredible parents who were not only supportive of me getting into the arts, but also we're very protective and still really you know, valued putting my needs as a little one first, and so they kind of operated under the idea of just we'll only tell her what she needs to know, you know, like we don't need to go deeper into the trauma that this little girl experienced. We can talk about it in terms that Andrea at the age she's at might understand. So my character was obviously struggling with this horrible, horrifying, disgusting thing that happened to her. But what her main, if I remember correctly, what her main sort of fear was in the interview scenes, was that she broke this rule that her mom told her to not break, which was to you know, not talk to strangers or not, you know. And that's what I you know, remember my parents talking to me most about was you can relate to knowing, you know, when when what it feels like to be scared that your parent's going to be upset with you. And so we tried to keep it mostly on relatable terms in that sense and not go too deep into the scary trauma part. But but I did. I was aware, you know, of what was going on with this little with this little girl, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's like one of the only episodes I can recall, were like a little girl is like getting a pelvic exam, and I was just like, oh my god, like what did they even tell you you were doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Then you know, yeah, I know, I know, And I remember filming that. I remember lying on the you know, the hospital bed, and you know, everybody was really considerate, and I think everybody was a little bit on edge because of that. You know, I am now thirty two years old. I can only imagine being on a set and filming that with a ten year old or an eleven year old and feeling like, oh gosh, how do we do this and be sensitive? And you know, and what is this child understanding about what's happening to her?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It was such. It's a wonderful set to work. And I will say that. And I'm and they're very experienced with dealing with heinous crimes as we know, it's not in the actual like beginning of the Sculf, and so I'm sure they're really experienced with tiptoeing around things or trying to be very delicate with the way they handle things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. And so is your mom an actor?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: How did how was it a huge family affair? How do you start young? I mean you were on Broadway at five years old? So how does that happen?
Speaker 4: My parents are not actors. They are artistic. My dad is a musician and my mom was a dancer and a performer. But no, they were out of the business. They had never done it professionally to that degree. Anyway, they pursued it, and they both had talents in those areas, but they were focused on other things. They were planning on raising They have six children. I'm the youngest, and they were planning on raising us in Columbus, Ohio. And then my older siblings all kind of line by line, started really falling in love with performing via local community theater and you know, children's theater programming in Columbus, Ohio. Nothing on a serious level, but they just didn't want to pursue anything else. They didn't want to do sports, they didn't want to do that. This is like what they wanted to do. And it just trickled down throughout the family. And then at some point someone after my two older siblings were in a production of Oliver. Still not in New York on that scale, but it was a touring production, and the older cast members said, well, you guys should be in New York if you want to do theater. And they planted this little seed in my older siblings' heads, and then that was it. They begged my parents. My parents said, well, drive, we could not afford six eight plane tickets. I guess it would have been. So we took a family road trip to New York, met with a manager who expressed interest in signing us all and my parents were like, this is moving too fast. We don't even know what we're doing. This seems crazy. We have a life, like what's going on? And so she agreed to send my siblings out on a couple of trial auditions so we could kind of get a sense of what that life would be like. And three of my siblings booked Broadway shows on that trip and we never went. We never went back to Ohio. I know it is. It is wild when I say it, I know.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well I have to jump in and tell you now that I'm also one of six kids.
Speaker 3: I am the oldest of six kids.
Speaker 4: I gosh, where the bookends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like in a million years, if I had told my mom I want to be an actor, she would have been like, great, wait until college.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's so amazing that like they were so because like.
Speaker 4: They had no idea what they were getting themselves in. Then if they did, they would have said wait until college.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I have two kids and I'm overwhelmed constantly, so I can't imagine six kids all trying to get into that business, all with like different auditions, different like strengths. And at that point too, it was wild.
Speaker 3: I mean it was.
Speaker 4: It was transitioning from Columbus, Ohio in a house that accommodated us all to a first two bedroom in Queens, but then a two bedroom in midtown Manhattan. You know, there were no home computers or cell phones. We had pagers. We'd have to like stop and call into a payphone to get all of our auditions for the day, and like run around, stick this kid on a subway, and stick that kid on a subway. And I mean, it's nuts when I think about it, And I don't know how we all did it. I don't know how they did it, but you know I watched that.
Speaker 1: I would watch that television show. Yeah, of like the Six Industry Kids.
Speaker 4: When we were little, we were approached by somebody, you know, before reality TV was really a thing about like pitching this idea to us of following us around town. And my parents were like, no way, dude, we're not doing that.
Speaker 3: Are how many of the siblings are still acting?
Speaker 4: Let me think about this. So I would say five of the six are still in the industry, and some fastt or another. A few of them went on to pursue music. Some of them are more kind of behind the scenes. My oldest brother is still in the broadway scene. He works a book of Mormon in New York. And then my other brother out here is still an actor and still professionally working. So five of the six of us have stayed in the arts realm.
Speaker 3: What does the other one do?
Speaker 4: Becoming a lawyer? All right, Yeah, she's in law school.
Speaker 1: Yeah she should become an entertainment lawyer and just rep all of you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly right. She's actually been recently studying contract law. And I'm like, oh, I just consult you.
Speaker 2: I follow a TikTok person that's like I read the Fine Prince so you don't have to, and like she reads all this stuff and helps you understand.
Speaker 4: It's an angel. I mean, that is terrible. We none of us read it. We just immediately say accept or agree or whatever.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just so wild. But how are the other people in school? Did you still go to school? Was it an artsy school?
Speaker 3: Was ever? Like? How was that?
Speaker 2: Because sometimes you hear like Taylor Swifts and Christina Aguilera'd be like, I was bullied for my success.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, So I was not bullied for my success. I did go to eventually, I went to We all went to PPAs, which is kind of a famous school in New York City. And I say famous, not because it's like this prestigious thing, famous because a lot of industry people went there, but it's a public school. It stands for Professional Performing Arts School. And then there's also PCs, which is a private performance art school.
Speaker 1: Which one of your parents was usually your more on set person. And who was with you at SPU Was it your mom or your dad? It was my mom?
Speaker 3: Your mom?
Speaker 1: Okay? And how did you like your on screen mom? And did your on screen did your regular mom feel threatened by your on screen I think.
Speaker 4: My sweet mom got very used to me having other moms pretty quickly, and she's wonderful. And my on screen mom is actually an actress named Debonair. I was named devon last name, Air, real name. I remember talking to her about that during filming because even though I was young, I had heard the word before, probably being a theater kid, things are described people are described as Debonair, you know, So I was like Hey, that's your name. She was also very pregnant and like actually pregnant, and it's kind of a fun story because so she was lovely, she was very sweet, and we had maybe two scenes together, but I always remembered her because she was so nice, she was so pregnant, and her name was Debonair. And then a million years later I went when I was in my early twenties, I went on an arts delegation trip to Israel with a an organization that I work with from time to time, and we went over to Israel to do arts advocacy work and have these meetings and talk to people there. And her husband was on this trip, who was an actor and a director named Rob Morrow. And I didn't know this. I didn't know they were, but he was talking about his wife, Devin at some point during the trip and I said, wait, do wo wait, wait is your wife Debonair? And he was like yes, And I was like, she played by mom on an episode of an owner like Cup forever ago and she was super pregnant with presumably your child.
Speaker 3: That is so funny. What a small world.
Speaker 4: Such a small world, I mean, it's like that. I'm sure you guys hear that all the time with law and order stories, because it's like everybody who lived in New York who was an actor has a law and order experience.
Speaker 2: Well, I was gonna say, I wonder if at this performing arts school, so many of the kids are like, I'm heading to Chelsea Pierce. Like, I'm sure all of you are just constantly trying to play a sad kid.
Speaker 4: I mean we did. That's the thing about when you're in a performing art school. You know, they're used to you having to leave for auditions, and some of them have strict rules against it, you know, which is kind of odd. I understand it. You don't want to compromise education, but at the same time, it's sort of odd when you're trying to get them to pursue it professionally and then you're like, no, no, no, no auditions for you. But we'd sometimes leave at lunch, and at least Chelsea Piers was in Midtown, so we could get over there really easily and be back in time to be in you know, science class or whatever.
Speaker 2: Obviously we got to ask Marishka Maloney iced tea munch, you know, I mean Belzer, I said, all their names, but who yeah, tell us some stories or what you remember with the main cast.
Speaker 4: So I definitely had the most interaction with Marishka, and she is so lovely and so gracious and giving and considerate and present and just wonderful. I would say. So by the time I did SVU, I'd been in the business for a while. I was primarily working in the Broadway community in theater. So you know, even though I'd had a couple of Law and Order experiences before, they were smaller than what this episode was. So I would say this was my first kind of chunkier role on TV, and it definitely was an inciting event in my life in that I realized I kind of wanted to bridge over into that world, which ultimately led to me moving to la and all that. And I do kind of attribute some of that to Marie. She goes demeanor and the way that she handled being the lead of a show, and the way that she respected the other cast members, and she was just so wonderful. I mean, I can just glow on and on about her because it really made a huge impact on me. And not only that, but while I was doing that episode of SVU, I was also in a Broadway show which was a musical based on the novel Jane Eyre. And so I was kind of splitting my time. I film during the day and then I'd have to go to the theater. And she came and saw me in the show, and she came backstage and she brought me this beautiful bouquet of flowers, and you know, I just think that really speaks to who she is. But also you have to imagine being a ten year old actress seeing an adult woman actress leading this show and handling herself that way and giving so much to me. It just really impacted me. And I just can't say enough wonderful things about her. I saw her years later at an award show. At some point over the years, like bumped into her, and you know, I went, I never go up to people because I'm just terribly awkward the way most of us are dealing with that, you know. But uh, but you know, I tapped her on the shoulder because I'm sure I was there for something with Esper House. I was, and I said, you know, I don't know if you remember me. I was a lot younger, but and she did, and she was so sweet, and she was like, oh my god, I can't get over you know, you're so much bigger, and you know, it's just great. But anyway, she's wonderful. So I would say that I have the most memories of what it was like working with her, and they have stuck with me my whole career.
Speaker 1: That's amazing that we hear only good things about her, and like everybody is so effusive about her, but this is the first time, like we've heard somebody be so affected by her as a kid, because like, I don't know, when you're a kid, I feel like you could just be like, oh, yeah, that lady was nice. Oh there are there girl cheeses today, like you know what I mean, Like yeah, And it's like, it's amazing to hear what.
Speaker 3: An impact she made on you and that she came to your play.
Speaker 1: I know we've heard also that she's a Broadway junkie, so I'm sure she just wanted to support you and check out another play.
Speaker 4: I know. I don't believe that, though. I think it's amazing that she came to see the show. And you know, my other cast mates in the show too, they were like, yeah.
Speaker 1: That must have been such a flex. You're like, I'm eleven and I'm friends with Marisha Ghari.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just schedule wise is so wild. So you were a kid on set all day, then at a play at night, and then and just learning the lines and doing it.
Speaker 4: I know, I know it is. I sometimes think about my schedule between the ages of five to you know, I mean until, I mean really my whole life. But I will think about that those crucial years of when I was little, especially because I have a niece and a nephew now, and I I, you know, I just think, wow, like, what were we doing? What were we doing? I mean, they got for it. I'm super super grateful for all of that, but it is pretty wild when you think about it.
Speaker 1: So then, Lisa, I don't know if you have any more law and order, but I know.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go to Desperate So then you book Desperate Housewives, and then your whole family moves you and a parent you alone, and what happens You're a series regular at fourteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So the process to getting to Desperate Housewives was I had come out so right not too long after I think after that episode of SVU, the show that I was doing at the time in New York closed and for the first time since being a professional actor. Myself and my brother who I'd mentioned, the other one who is also on multiple law and orders, were not in shows during what was pilot season, and our manager was like, you got to go to LA. If you want to get into TV, you gotta go to LA. Just give it a whirl. So my dad brought my brother and I out and it was just the three of us and we came out for a pilot season and I got a show. It was not Desperate Housewives, but it was another ABC show, and that shot the pilot in Canada, went back to New York, was doing a workshop of a show. Show got picked up, great, moved the family out to LA. Everybody except for the two oldest siblings who were off now in college and working, and so moved the rest of us out. So four kids, two parents, two dogs out to LA. Show gets canceled. So then we're like, I know, what did we do? Kind of a naive decision, I guess. And then but then the following pilot season, Desperastives came along and so then got that and then had a good feeling that it would get picked up. We all kind of the whole cast talks about it during the pilot. We just sometimes you work on things and you're like, I have no idea, and you never know what this industry, you know, if something's going to go or not. That one felt different. It felt like this is gonna be this is gonna do something. We didn't know what it was gonna do. We didn't know it was gonna go on to be as successful as it was, of course, But but then that got picked up and ran for eight seasons and out in La I stayed.
Speaker 1: God, it was just like such a huge show I watched. It was like appointment television for me. I would like order food from this Vietnamese place every Sunday and like sit on my couch and watch that show. And I'm just wondering, like, so did you were you right away? Like, oh my god, I mean, I guess you'd been in the business for so long, but like that was the first like huge right, Like that show was like a big thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was weird. I mean it was definitely weird and foreign, and like you said, I'd been in the business for a while. But as as I'm sure other people you've talked to since Lonard is such a new York concentrated thing. You know, the theater world is it operates very differently than television. And so even though I had been lucky enough to be a part of three Broadway shows at that point, this the scale of being on a television show show that is successful is just different. Oh and actually, now that I'm saying this to tie in these two things, I remember, I remember when we premiered. I think it was our it was either our first episode or our second episode. We didn't we we could not. No one could believe the ratings that we got in our first in our early episodes, because it was just uncommon. You have to find your footing, you know, even even shows that have a great first episode premiere, the numbers are still not you know, they're not like really breaking any records. They're still you're finding your audience and it's strong and it's great and it looks like we're going to go. But anyway, one of the things they said to us on set, they came to us at lunch we were filming, and they said, the numbers are in from last week's episode. You guys were number one for the week. And someone said, we beat Law and Order, And I don't know why they used that as the metric, but somebody yelled out, we beat law and orders, so that ties those two things together.
Speaker 3: So they probably always have had solid ratings. That's why it's been on for twenty million years now. That's so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so wow, So how was I mean, how was having Terry Hatcher for your on screen mom?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Wonderful? I really I really lucked out. I've I've lucked out consistently in the the women that I've worked with, and I've had a very I've had a very fortunate career in that from a young age, I was working with powerhouse women, leading shows, leading Broadway shows, leading you know, television shows, and then went on to be on a show for a long time that was dominated by women, which is rare, you know, and and really showed me kind of what was possible for me as an actor and just sort of, you know, formed the way that I operate in the industry and how I look at it. Terry's fantastic. We hit it off from from day one and and just you know, remain close to this day and I just think she's she's the best.
Speaker 1: I met her at a party like three years years ago and was like hello, Like I was like trying so hard to keep it together, but I was like, I've been watching you in so many things my entire life, and I was just.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, Hi, great to meet you. Hello. I feel like I don't think I could. I don't remember what we I think we talked about. I don't know we were talking about something for a little while. But she was super nice. And I can see she has like a warmth about her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I think you can tell that on television and then it like translates in real life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like she's very warm, she is very funny, and she's just great. She's just great.
Speaker 1: Was there ever any sibling like rivalry or fighting over the fact that, like you guys were all in the same business.
Speaker 4: I would say there is. There was never any negative competition, okay between my siblings and I. We were each other's cheerleaders and each other's support system. I will say that I think I had a better shot at growing up and turning out hopefully fingers crossed semi sane because I had so many siblings and because I had a big family who kept me in line, you know, and so no, there really wasn't any of that of it. There was really just commiseration more, you know, when things didn't go our way. It was like nice to have a built in person who got it and and relate and also knew what it was like to do it as a kid. I know, people who grew up and started young and you know, had two parents but then just themselves, you know, And I always thought, God, that must have been weird.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like you need a little support system, and we had. We had a thriving support system within my own family, many members.
Speaker 2: You guys like run lines together and stuff and memorize and yeah, super cute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we definitely did. We totally did and still do.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: My dad worked with us a lot. I would, you know, read lines with him a lot. And yeah, but my brother Cameron is I work with him all the time still when I get you know, an audition or I am about to film something and I want to do a little bit of like prep work on it. He's still somebody I go to.
Speaker 3: So that's amazing. So nice, I.
Speaker 4: Know, it does, it's it is nice.
Speaker 3: It's very nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my siblings and I all do completely different stuff. So I didn't even know what, but the there was always like great of overlap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, none of you overlap at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we all so interestingly, what's the age? What's the age between the first and the last.
Speaker 1: So it's like I'm nine years older than my oldest my youngest brother, it's the same. Yeah, we're like one two three, Me and my brother and sister are one two three, and then there's like five years and then twins and then the youngest.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, so my mom wanted to have more after she's psychotic.
Speaker 4: My mom too. I feel like once you start, once you pass four, it's like a drug.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's like tattoos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just want to get more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all six of us were born, Yeah in nine years, So my sister in eighty one and me and ninety.
Speaker 1: And she's like yeah, so I'm like more, I'm closer, I'm closer to your sister's age. And then you are a little bit younger than my youngest brother.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so crazy, But that's like, I what a cool Like, I mean, it is nice to hear about little kids that also are in the business and then grow up to be normal and not like totally crazy. And it sounds like your parents really had their heads on straight about the whole thing too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they. I really think that they did a pretty remarkable job trying to create a safe and you know, I try not to use the word like normal, because what is that, right? What is normal but a safe and grounded family dynamic between all of us, even though our circumstances were a little extraordinary, though, it was like we had this weird dichotomy happening all the time where it was like at home it was just very much your regular family, except for the fact that there were so many kids and no rooms to be in. But then outside of our apartment, there was so much going on all the time, and somehow they struck a very nice balance between us all and we are all very close and yeah.
Speaker 3: So great. What's coming up?
Speaker 2: Is there anything that we should look out for, something you'd like to tell our listeners to watch?
Speaker 4: Sure, So I just finished filming a I guess it would be a thriller for Lifetime, And I think there's a probably a crossover audience between Law and Order fans and Lifetime movie fans. Oh yeah, and so maybe that'll be of interest. And I don't know, when it's going to air. I believe it will be this year, sometime over the next few months. It was directed by Marla Sokoloff, who I, oh, I don't know if she was on Law and Order. I would guess she was at some point.
Speaker 1: Well, she was on the Practice, so I like another law show.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and she was like the bad girl on Full House.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, she's had so much attitude forgot about that. I know her, She's so great and and we had the best time working together and also talking about like growing up in this business and then you know, branching off to do other things, and so we had a lot of fun. We filmed that I guess in late May into June, and so that should be out sometime soon.
Speaker 3: And what did you say that was called?
Speaker 4: I think so they always have like a working title and then they have what they eventually become named as. And I think I think it's they're cementing it as d Hall Past Nightmare.
Speaker 3: Hall Past Nightmare.
Speaker 1: Is this about somebody getting to have sex with their hall Pass?
Speaker 4: It would be me yeah, oh, kind of scandalous for lifetime, A little racy, I.
Speaker 3: Know, like very indecent proposal. For the lifetime. I love that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we had a good time.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I saw like you've been doing some lifetime stuff. Do you do Hallmark stuff as well?
Speaker 3: I did one.
Speaker 4: I did one in my early twenties or maybe when I was nineteen nineteen or twenty, and I played a paraplegia a girl who was a professional horse rider and got bucked off her horse and became a paraplegic, but then through equine therapy and romance, she was able to learn to walk again.
Speaker 1: I was able to walk again. Yeah, oh my god. Yeah, the power of.
Speaker 3: Oh I love it. I know. Well, I cannot wait to see hall Past night Mare. Thank you. Sounds amazing.
Speaker 4: My grandma too. But then I told her, I was like, there might be some parts you have to like not watch. She was like at the lifetime and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, yeah, I know, but maybe a yeah.
Speaker 1: A lifetime is it's lifetime in twenty twenty two, grandma, exactly.
Speaker 3: They got to keep up with the time.
Speaker 4: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much for Lisa. I don't know, do you have any lasts? This is very fun. No, I had a great time.
Speaker 2: Well, I was just going to say I did see that you were on King of the Hill, and what a great show, and that's so cool to be a cartoon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did. I was.
Speaker 4: That was great. That was fun because once you're in that world, you kind of just are I don't want to say a pitch hitter because that sounds like I'm really like singing tooting my own horn. But I mean you're just brought in when they need, you know, people to come in to play a teenage boye or to play a young woman's voice, or to pay you know, a boys like whatever. And so I got I got into that show. I forget what the first episode I did. But then they you know, call every now and again and then pop in and do to you. And that is one of the shows where the few shows that where they used to record everybody kind of at the same time, so you'd be actually in the studio as opposed to just being by yourself and in your own Lindes. You would get to be with other people in your scene and it was such an amazing cast that it was always so fun.
Speaker 3: That's cool.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that's like why like a secret to why it's so been so successful. And why people love it so much is like there's actual like chemistry going on between the people.
Speaker 4: It could be, it could be. It definitely feels more like a play or a lot, you know, a live performance than than because I mean, I love the animated world and I've been lucky enough to do a lot of voice work throughout my career. There's always a difference when you're getting to read with the person who's in the scene with you and then when you're just alone imagining kind of what they might be doing. So it probably is part of why it's such a special show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well this was amazing. I'm so excited we got to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is one of the episodes we've been dying to do since we started the pod. It's a favorite of ours. It's like scary and so thrilling. Oh caro, we did not Is it your little hand in the beginning with the car? Yeah, did they put you under the car?
Speaker 4: It's not my hand. Oh, it is not my hand. I don't know whose little hand that is. Unlast I'm crazy. I'm gonna have to ask my mom because she would remember, but I am pretty sure that I that they were. It was on this sheet to film a certain day and we didn't get to it, and they were like, we'll just we'll just pick it up sometime.
Speaker 1: I grabbed it like from maybe some other kid from like about like because I was like, you know, to have you there for a full shooting day or night or whatever in cold New York just for your little hand to pop up.
Speaker 4: I know, but it's pretty tragic when you see that little hand.
Speaker 1: Oh, Liza, that was my most important question. I'm really glad you did not let me forget it. Thank you, Kara, always have your back.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. This was awesome. Yeah, so impressive. Wow, she's so fun, she's cool.
Speaker 2: I mean, to find a family who hasn't been fucked up from child acting, that's I know. I'm happy for her, her family, the choices they've made.
Speaker 3: He's like, she's really crushing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: To be Broadway. I mean, she could be Leah Michelle style bitch, and she chose not to, and she chose she chose kindness.
Speaker 1: This episode is a I don't know why I like it or like call it a classic, but it really is.
Speaker 2: And I guess what I've learned is you have to look at every license plate forever or Marishka Hargatay will be pissed.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy is I used to like memorize license plates all the time, thinking if that, if that does something in a crime, I'm gonna remember. And I would like make little mnamonic devices being like cats love food CLF like that was like the license plate, you know, like and I would always try to remember them all the time, like when I was like a like a preteen, like like just thinking of all the crime shows i'd watch. I'd be like, I'm going to be the witness that remembers that license plate number. Guess what, I don't even I don't even know my own license plate number right now.
Speaker 3: I think I could tell you the first two digits.
Speaker 2: We were driving through Pennsylvania from Western New York so togain back into the city, and we passed the crime scene in the woods. WHOA, there was like detectives in suits and then there was someone with a CSU tank to like a crime scene investigation CSI. There was like people in CSI T shirts suits and they were on the edge of the highway like into the woods in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: So damn, I wonder what they found.
Speaker 2: I know, right, we were trying to google and stuff, but it seemed like an active investigation, so like we couldn't find anything in the news, so I don't know.
Speaker 3: Wow, wow, wow, wow wow, that's exciting, and he is it's sad.
Speaker 2: And then oh, you posted this and I didn't even see until then, but my friend Marie Fauston went viral with that SVU video so funny, and he gave her a T shirt. I don't know if you saw, but he brought her merch. But she said she cannot date a cop. That there's absolutely no way. Yeah, she's so funny. That video is so funny. So many of you have sent us that video of the girl who goes on a date with a detective and mentions like SBU and stuff, and well, because I asked for a photo and she's like, no, no, I met him in the wild. I don't have any any photos of him.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, she met him out in the world. But he tricked her because he smelled good.
Speaker 2: She said, yeah, so I saw her last night, got the scoop. But she is she will not be dating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but my sister sent me her video too. Everyone was saying, it's like fun, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, do we have any takeaways postmortem for the episode countdown? There's not me. It's not really the kind of episode where you learn anything that you did not already.
Speaker 2: Puppies puppies, Yeah, I mean you teach puppies are the new candy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't let kids get lured away.
Speaker 2: Don eat candy corn only. Also, who is taking child photos? Let's double check them, triple check them. Let's get surveillance on anyone that does school photos. Yeah, for it's going to be a pedophile in every district. I can't imagine who else is doing school photos.
Speaker 1: Well, people who do photography and need to pay their.
Speaker 2: Bills and pedophile. This is how I feel about. You know, it's like the step parent thing. It's not fair of me. But if you're a step parent and you're a man, I assume you're doing it to get to the child. She's joking's.
Speaker 3: I ain't joking, bitch.
Speaker 1: And I ain't joking.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: That is a perfect segue into this week's what would Sister peg do? You know, it's interesting that we're talking about puppies and stuff like that, because for this week's what would Sister Peg Do, which is our weekly segment where we talk to you guys, give you as an article, a organization, something that a book, something that can help you flesh out a little bit more about what you learned or saw in this week's episode or what we talked about. A lot of people rely, like so heavily on stranger danger, but there's like so many other ways of protecting your kids against child predators.
Speaker 3: And I just I found this.
Speaker 1: Uh there's this website called very well Family dot com and it's just like a bunch of like nurses and doctors and people that get together and talk about parenting stuff and write articles about parenting stuff and everything's like, you know, seems like fact checked and legit to me. So this article that I found there was written by Catherine Lee, and it's called Protecting against Child Predators and it just had some interesting ways on how to educate your kids against child predators, like teaching your kids how to say no and instead of focusing on full stranger danger, knowing that there's all like so many kids are often victimized by people that they do know, So it's not necessarily even though in this episode, you know there it was full stranger danger.
Speaker 2: Well did you see the most recent snatching by the way, on the internet. There was like a girl playing outside her house and some guy tried to snatch her and she like kept like she fought him off, got caught on the ring camera.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 1: Good girl.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 1: We got to teach our kid y, yeah, we got to teach our kids. So anyway, this is You can check out the website very well family dot com. Their parenting articles are all medically reviewed and the link to the actual article will of course be in our show notes and in our stories, and all of our what Sister pegdew stories are saved in a highlight on our Instagram called wwspd if you ever want to check out the resources that we recommend.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for that, Kara. We need to protect our children.
Speaker 2: And next week the episode will be Rhodium Nights, Season thirteen, Episode twenty three. We're jazzed as fuck and so happy that you guys listen, and we'll see you soon next week.
Speaker 3: Come see us on tour and we love you guys. We'll see you next week. Bye. Messed Up is an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover. Shoot us an email at That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and.
Speaker 3: At glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much to our producer Kacy O'Brien.
Speaker 1: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to.
Speaker 2: Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews.
Speaker 3: For our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 3: Dut dun