Speaker 1: He swings high, don't understand that.
Speaker 2: Dinger center field and it's gone, Wow. His first big league swing is gonna be a grand slam, a home line swing.
Speaker 1: Good time to do so. Welcome back to The Call Up, your go to podcast on the future stars of Major League Baseball, and we have the long awaited Draft recap here with Tyler Jennings, director of Amateur Scouting here at JO Just Baseball. Tyler, you thought the draft was behind you, but I had to pull you back out here to just recap it and talk about it one more time. I mean, you worked your absolute butt off. Most successful draft stream we've ever had, all of the breakdowns before, top college, top high school. The numbers across the board were so exciting. Seeing the interest around the draft has been really cool. But I also know that you're like the Jimmy Butler meme. You know, after the finals were just like hanging over like head down on the banister. But I was like, We've got to get one more episode out here for the Call Up folks, and I'm really excited to break down all thirty draft classes with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: And thank you to everybody also for like tuning into the draft stream to watch us, you know, talk about the draft and everything. I thought that was amazing to have so many of you guys join us for that. So we appreciate everything that you guys have done.
Speaker 1: For us, and I really appreciate everything you've done with our draft coverage and how much it is overhauled, you know, in the last three years, just being able to have you know, you just breaking everything down from on such a granular level, like we had top three hundred draft prospects before you were here. I wrote up like thirty guys because that's all I had the time to be able to do with all the other things that we have going on here. So the fact that we could ten x that and be able to really break down each of these classes to where we can get into the nitty gritty. So let's do that, and let's go. We're gonna go alphabetically. We're going to reference a lot of Tyler's pre draft rankings and that's linked in the episode description to be able to reference, but also Tyler's done draft recaps all of his work. I'll just link you to his author page at just baseball dot com so that you can see all the draft related content that has come out on the recap side as well, But this is a fun opportunity to just kind of dive into it and talk beyond the first rounders and how these overall classes came together. But of course we got to start with the first rounders, and I'll start with the Dbacks. They went with Ryder Helfrick with their first round pick, the catcher from Arkansas, and you know at fifteenth overall, I think that was the guy that I know from what I just heard from some people with the d Backs, they were thrilled to be able to get Helfrick there at fifteen. We're not really sure that he would be there. Kind of surprised that he was there. That headlines the class, but there's a lot of other arms in the class overall. They do mix in, you know, two other college bats in the second and third round. What's your Do you have an overall kind of theme with this class and how do you think it came out for the d Backs.
Speaker 3: I thought it came out well.
Speaker 2: And when you're kind of looking at like some tracer looking at definitely power is something to kind of get win after. Obviously hew Frick has plus power. You look at a guy like Chris Kats in the ninth round has significant power for Mercer, and they did sprinkle with some guys that had some contact skills as well. That's something they usually go after anyways, the past couple of years, when you look at their previous first rounders, Carson Kurs, Braden Downer, guys who are pretty safe on the hit tool, but then they go for some big power, you know, risk with some pitching guys. You know, Blake Bryant, Brian is one of my favorite prep guys from the class, so I'm happy to see him get taken a thirty one.
Speaker 3: But then you go past that.
Speaker 2: Josh mcda McDevitt from Missouri has a very very good fastball.
Speaker 3: LJ.
Speaker 2: Mccurius was one of the best stoppers in college baseball and helped Oklahoma win that national championship this year. He has a powerful change up. Michael Whorley at Tonybrook was another guy with a very very powerful fast So they kind of went after some power guys here on both sides of the ball, which is interesting. It is something that Arizona doesn't necessarily go after in the past couple of years. So I do agree that like Ryder. Helferd is a top ten talent. Getting him at fifteen is fantastic for Arizona, especially when you like at the whole variety of the first round where teams kind of went by the wayside on some guys with power and went safer hit tools first, which was an interesting kind of like mix up. But if you're Arizona, you're happy with health rak. I thought he was a top ten talent in this class, and to have a guy with that kind of power and that kind of defense behind the plate is pretty valuable.
Speaker 1: Well when we see that in the game, right, I mean so many catchers that have had the power and the defensive abilities. Those guys maybe taking some time to develop, but have developed into some of the better catchers. And now we've seen the game. I think about Shay Langlers and like, that's kind of the skill set that you feel like there could be here potentially. Right, Why do you think it was that he slipped to fifteen? It felt like a couple of the guys that maybe have some hit tool concern It really fell this year and in some years it doesn't seem like that happens as much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a very draft turnaround from what you know, teams kind of looked for they weren't willing to take as many risks, and I think draft strategy definitely plays a role in that when you look at teams like the Red Sox for example, who brought you know, Martin Scheller down to the ninth round and gave him overslot after taking you know, Jake Schaffner at number twenty and o when hole, which we'll talk about later with the Red Sox. But I think teams definitely kind of we were not really willing to take the risk in this draft class, and it was mainly because it kind of fell off a little bit after the first round. I think I think the class tramp definitely played a role on it. But I think when you look at it at the end of the day, like with health for specific specifically, his biggest issue was breaking balls away and kind of just trying to catch up to that. As you get you know, Clyde the ladder as much as it was SEC pitching, you get the double A, you're starting to see better breaking balls. So I wonder, you know, this hell turn into a guy that's like a you know, two twenty hitter but can give you twenty five to thirty home runs with I would say gold club defense behind the play. I think that's a very valuable player overall. But that's also kind of like the stereotypical catcher prototype. Now, yeah, you know, you're not expecting a catcher to really hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, one hundred percent. And if you can run into homers and give you defensive value, the batting average becomes decreasingly important, and I think that's the exciting part for the d Bacs. One other question on the class, because a guy that you had at one eighty three overall on your big board, h the d Backs snagged at three hundred and twenty sixth overall and Cody Boschel.
Speaker 4: Is it Boschel? Ychelle? Yeah, I believe it is Boschel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll go with Boschel first baseman. Uh, they sign him for seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars obviously, Well, well, well, oversawt there high school kid. That seems like obviously an area where they allocated some of their savings to oversaught and grab a kid there and sign them away from Was that, you know, the savviest pick in this class for you or was there another one that you liked a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's definitely up there.
Speaker 2: For me, I think I liked the Brian pick more and the reason why is because I think Brian's going to turn into a pretty valuable pitching prospect, incredibly projectable at six six point eight, has a really good feel for pitchability at this stage, which you don't really find in in amateur prospects, especially with high schoolers who would just kind of chase after vela a little bit. And that was the big thing for me with him was like, this is a guy with pitch ability that for me, it wins me over because I'd like to see guys try and it pitch the contact and trying to sequence their pitches more often than not, and to have that feel that young is pretty impressive. And with Boschel, he just did a really really good job on the Summer circuit last year, and the biggest thing for me was the field to hit in the field of power that really stood out. He's also a pretty mobile athlete, could also play a corner outfield spot if you really wanted to. But I think they select him as a first basement anyway, so I think that's where he probably ends up.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it, and we'll slide over to the athletics now. Reminder, going in alphabetical order, and this draft class, I mean, headlined by Drew Burris, who they grab in the first round, eighth overall guy that you know, you didn't know if he was necessarily going to even be there at eighth overall, and they had to pay him half a mill overslot even in grabbing him at the eighth spot there, which I thought was pretty interesting. So I want some of your thoughts there, but also the rest of the draft. I remember talking about it with you brief like, and I don't mean this in a negative way, but just felt kind of jockey, felt like, you know, you just kind of took the best college guy available in a lot of the spots, and sometimes that works really well for you. I think that this draft class is solid overall. First, what did you think about Burris getting over a half a million overslot at the eighth overall pick? And then second, I'll follow up with the overall class conversation. Conversation, it was interesting.
Speaker 2: I would have figured he would be closer to the slot value, if not maybe a little less to see if like, you know, do they try and sign the fourteenth round er who was the first high school guy in Cayden Sivrich. But I think at the end of the day, like there's not really a ton of you know, high schoolers you can really allocate that money towards in this class. You know, I think there was only one other guy that they took in the nineteenth round, Jake Sclante from Soqualla High School.
Speaker 3: So you know, I think at the end.
Speaker 2: Of the day, Burris had you know, I had him as a top five prospect in this class. I think I had him fifth, and I thought he was going to be a hiero at the end of the day. So to get him at eight is a great value and I think that's something that he and his agent had in their back pocket to be like, hey, we had a chance to be top five. And there's also not really like what other guy can you really toss his money to, you know, maybe Nathan the sevens in the twelfth rounds, So like, I think the age for five was taking him a little overslot here, and I think that works out perfectly with some of the other guys farther down the board that they saved some money on in like the seventh to tenth round.
Speaker 1: Well, Burris, I mean the guy that I just I think you're thrilled to get it hit with his power potential you've talked about on the draft stream, just the way the glove is developed, and I mean, this is a guy that's built to kind of moved through the minors quickly. But also I think gives you a higher ceiling than maybe the frame may imply when when you look at this guy, you can't judge a book by its cover. There, I think this is going to be a good player for a long time. But they pair that with then a couple of good arms, right like Mason Edwards was a guy that wouldn't have been shocking if a team. You know, it took him a little bit earlier than the forty seventh pick, and they're able to get the left hander there from USC then they go Gabe Gackle as well. Both those guys get a little bit overslot Edwards a little bit more than that. What do you make of those two arms? And then beyond that, what else kind of stands out to you with this athletics class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think getting Edwards at forty seven is a great value. Pick as well. You know, there is rumors that you get taken into teams. I know at one point even the Royals were rolling the idea of taking him at six, which would have kind of followed what they did anyways. So to get him down at that range is fantastic for you. And this is a guy that led to NC double A and strikeouts this year. I think it was like one sixty five hammer curveball into the low nineties, maybe even mid nineties at times when he really has the higher end velocity and a really really good change of I think, you know, looking back at some of this energy notes, every single one of his secondary pitches had a WIF rate over sixty percent this year, which is a testament to how nasty his arsenal is even with some I would say like a pedestrian fastball, I guess is what some people like to call it. But you know, I think him Edwards Duden was a fantastic get for me in the third round. I thought, if he was fully healthy this year, he's on at the back end of the fresh round easy because he was doing a fantastic job for Nancy State this year before he got injured and then looking at some of the other guys too, Like obviously they go after proofing college guys. Gabe Gacho obviously has been a performer for three years, but I have some question marks on whether or not he's a reliever or not. Rowan Martin I wish would swing the ball more or swinging the batmore, but he's very very good at finding fastballs.
Speaker 3: And demolishing them.
Speaker 2: Alex Hernandez Alex Dosa, didn't you kind of get to like aid and Weaver. Tanner marsh is a really good shortstop himself. There's just a lot of guys here that formed across you know, two or three year sample sizes that kind of give you a bit more of a higher floor than.
Speaker 3: Some other guys. And I think that's fine.
Speaker 2: You know, you put together a consistent class like this, I think you definitely walk away as a winner in this one. I think personally, they just missed my top five favorite classes in this that I put on the recap. I'd say they're like six, maybe seventh or eighth at that point. So I think they did a very very good job of what they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Sometimes the chock you like it can be really good, especially when it's top college guy available, and it felt like they were taking the top college guy available or even bought down a little bit a couple of these top college guys that were on the board there. So it's funny thing about like Bowman Draft as a card collector, here, this is gonna be a draft class like I'll probably to be buying spots and brakes on because it's just a lot of guys that higher floor could move quickly but still have some exciting ceilings to them as well. We move over to the Atlanta Braves who got really creative with their draft class as well, which is typically going to be the case when you go pretty significantly underslat with your first pick, which that's what the Braves do, right. They go aj Grassia and they save two point six eight million dollars with that ninth pick there, but a pick that I know you loved because I think you had him closer to you know, a middle of the first round type of guy and ninth pick isn't that far ahead, and you're saving a lot of money there. Grassia opens the door for them to do a lot of other things, and that's exactly what they did. You can start with Grassia, but then what did that afford them to do? And how do you think they leveraged the savings there to maximize the talent in this draft class?
Speaker 2: Whatever what they did in the first round is allow them to open up the wallet later on in the class and go after us. So like even with carter Back kind of thrown into this, Uh, they both both players are are safe contact guys that you know, bag Place's hair on fire can be a valuable outfield defender. Grossi has got this mix of hit tool and power that not a lot of guys have, and I understand, like, yeah, he's probably a left fielder, but the same token, Like I think his collegiate contact rate was like eighty five percent, you know, across three years with like an eighteen percent chase. You know, it's it's an really really valuable thing to have a bat that can do that. And yes, it's it's safe. But like you mentioned, less them save a lot of money. They paid just in Hirshcorn nearly four million dollars I believe in the third round. Then you go farther down, Jack Brenner gets over a million dollars I believe in like the seventh round, which is if I remember correctly, a record in that in that round. And then you get Ryan Barker in the eleventh round, who I had as a top two hundred prospects. So those guys, Kate McCarthy cold Denis as well. Getting these high upside high school guys with the savings at the guy, it really shows how the Braves were able to maneuver that money around and still find valuable talent at the same time. So there's a lot to like what the Braves did here. In my opinion, I think ron At Shad and Company did a fantastic job with finding talent that fits the mold that they look for.
Speaker 1: So hirst Corn is interesting because you had him at fifty three on your big board, which I mean to be able to, you know, buy him down to the third round like the Braves did. Like it makes makes a lot of sense. But formerly now our price tag, so that's strong first round money there. First sentence in your write up is no Pitchers assented draft boards more than Hirscorn did this summer, and that was before knowing that he was going to get the kind of money that he got. Did that price tag surprise? You and what does this tell you just about maybe how high his ceiling can be in the eyes of the Braves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was a little surprised when I saw the price tag, but there this is an organization not afraid to go after guys in hand them big price tags. Brigs Mackenzie a year ago got three million dollars from the Braves, and I know, I know the scout locally here als Garupa, and he was ecstatic to get Briggs at that range. So I think this is the Braves are definitely valuing Hirschcorn more than I would personally, And I think that really just shows the difference between like me and a pro organization's you know, draft boards, Like we're not always gonna have the same thing, but we're trying to emulate what they you know, what they see. And Hirshcorn last summer, you know, he he performed very well at PG National some of these USA events. Goes out the area codes at eight am and strikes out nine guys, you know, just I think seven swinging. He had like ten whists on a slider and nobody could see, you know, six, seven, two o five.
Speaker 3: It's big projectable.
Speaker 2: It's just something that I believe the Braves look at and go, hey, he moves very well, has projection. There's deception here. Guys really couldn't see the ball out of his hands. So I think with them, they they obviously saw something that they liked a lot more than what I did, admittedly, but again at the same token, like this is an incredibly talented arm that had admittedly a high price tag because of an LSU commitment as well. So it makes me kind of look at, like, you know, delivers that these high schoolers do have now with nil and everything. I think that's another role that plays into these high price tags well.
Speaker 1: And especially when you were six foot seven, right, and like they clearly think that this ceiling could be so so so high. And and Brenner as well, Like, I mean, that's a guy that got a nice overslat check there that I mean comparing it to it we're using like the draft tracker right now, which I don't think Brenner was was ranked for MLB pipeline. He had Brenner ninety and that's right around the value that he got. Kind of pickwise, if I'm remembering correctly, what would that I'm not going I don't want to put you on the spot. What would the ninetieth picked you know what that would be SWAT value wise? Oh man, because he got Brenner got one point two five million dollar and I feel like that's with SWOT value for where he was selected, which was at two oh two was three hundred and seven thousand dollars, so he gets you know, four x the SWAT value there and a guy that again I think when you look at your board, you had him as a candidate, so I think kind of signed for something around that if he was going to forgo his college commitment. Cold weather kid, Uh, kind of under the radar. But I think the Braves have done a good job. It's identifying some of these guys of late.
Speaker 2: Yeah they have and uh, you know, looking at the ninetieth pick of values a seven thousand, so to get a million, he's still would gotten overslot in the third round.
Speaker 3: But that's still you know, still very very good.
Speaker 2: And the thing that won me over with Brenner is looking at the day last year, being able to see him at Area coach. He just consistently hits and you know there might not be a ton of power there, but this is a kid that's going to hit for average at the next level. Has some versatility to whim. He can play catcher, you can play short stop. He's athletic hell, So yeah, there's a lot to like with him. And it's nice to see that the Braves thought the same as well, so you know, not to toot my own horn. No, that's also like a that felt like a good thing to kind of look back at.
Speaker 1: It seems like a savvy class there that has a lot of upside, and that's the way that they played it there with the Braves. You go to the Orioles, and I think this is an interesting high upside class as well, kind of balanced out by some higher four guys. But I would still just say risk in general seems to be the namer. I would still such just athleticism and upside is probably the better way of putting it. They go EJ. Brew Eric Booth with the number one pick. I know, one of your favorites in this entire class. Sky high ceiling. Such a fun skill set. But then you pair that with tie Head, who's back to ball skills I think far exceed batting average that you saw, you know, throughout college. I think quality of contact played a big part in that because I think it didn't allow him to maybe find the gaps as much as he should. But still great defender, you bring that to the table. But then I go to Kevin Roberts Junior, who they just signed and a guy that I mean, upside wise is probably as high as anybody in the class. Is that crazy to say, especially outside of the first round, like the ceiling that this kick can have you with the Division one offers and like every single sport, So just putting those athletes in there. On the pitching side, it seemed like he was more higher floor strike throwers. But what do you make of this class? Obviously they won you over with their first pick right way to steal your heart there, but beyond that as well, I mean, for sure a few thoughts on Booth because I know that's one of your favorites, and then your your overall thoughts on the Orioles class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you nailed it first off on the class, like they went after very athletic guys in the outfield in Indian field, and it also just went for like higher floor strike throwers who you know have performed at the college level, like Zane Adams, Ryan pish Kevin or not Kevin Robberts Dominic vaguely from from Kansas. But the things I liked you're talking about Eric Booth. This is a guy that, yes, I understand the swings wonky. It's it doesn't necessarily work at the moment when you project forward, but he's been able to make contact consistently. There's burgeoning power in the bat. He's hit one a weight with what already. He can also fly on the base pass and can handle center field. If not, you put him in right field with a good arms So you know, there's a lot to like with the overall tools set there. And if you fix the swing to where like it becomes more not linear per se, but you add some more loft to it, it looks more like he's getting more leverage out of it.
Speaker 3: Then I think that's fantastic. I think you get a lot more power upside there. Tie Head.
Speaker 2: Obviously, like you'd mentioned it, the contact rates are superb. He's very passive. I would say it's probably the best way to describe him in terms of uh he racks up a lot of walks on strikeouts, but also like he gets the two strike counts and just absolutely does not miss the ball. I think that's the most impressive part he paid. He got more power this year and has obviously been able to play center field a good bit as he stay and does a very good job of manning that position. I think my favorite pick though, is we'll plunk it down in the eighth round. I think I had him in the one sixty one sixty five range. And this is a kid that bourg very well WWBA last year in Florida, comes out into the spring and obviously cold water batskit. I would say they get some more leeway when you look at how late they start in the competition they play. But he was consistently pummeling the baseball. He's got more projection to him, he can play on the left side of the dirt. I think there's just a lot of a lot to like a plunk it and personally, and you know, getting him in the eighth round is pretty impressive. I do like what the Orioles did, kind of like the farther down that they got into this class.
Speaker 1: And I think if I mean booth, yeah, I think the little refinement with the swing there, but everything else, all the carrying tools are amazing. They can get what is possible out of Kevin Roberts Junior. That's where I think this class could really send me. I think you feel good about the higher probability of a lot of these arms, at least feeling some sort of a big grow several of them at the top. But I think you have the Plunket edition where they couldn't get too creative because of their their earlier pick signing. Bonus wise, I think that and having to pay Kevin Roberts as well being able to pull off that Punket pick is exciting as well. We're gonna get to the Boston Red Sox, which they had one of the most creative drafts as well. In a moment before that, our first break before we jump back into it, just want to shout out we are live on Whatnot now in the tops Chrome release has been a ton of fun. If you have not been on what Not as well, first of all, come join us on just Baseball breaks. It's a blast. But if you have not used the platforform before, use the link in our episode description to sign up and you will get twenty five dollars to apply to a break. I'm really excited. Tops Chrome is absolutely loaded it's a really fun to rip. And the rookie class with McGonagall and Connor Griffin, and it goes on and on and on and on. You have Mizarowski, rookie ATTO's in there, you have Run and Anthony. It goes on and on. So we have all these different breaks going on. Were every weeknight on whatnot? And yeah, really excited about this new frontier for us are just baseball break, So check us out with the link in the episode description. We jump over to the Red Sox who surprised everybody with their first pick in Jake Schaffner. I think it's one of those where you just have that shock at on the onset just because you weren't expecting it, but then as you digest it, you say, oh, this could start to make some sense. And then as you start to get into the later rounds and you see them go, you know, pick up a Martin Shalar, and you go see them pick up a couple other guys that we're going to require a solid payday and pull it off because of the savings two and a half or two point three seven million, or sorry, two point one seven million in savings with Shaffner, you can see the creativity with the class here. What do you make of the class overall? Well, one twentieth overall pick going with a guy in Schaffner that a lot of people had kind of second third round grades on, and then two with what they were able to do behind that, Do you think it justified it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think it did. And like the more I've kind of slept on this class, the more I kind of like it. Yes, I understand that the strategy is a little wonky. I thought Schaffner was more of a second rounder, but then I kind of started looking back on it. Even on the draft broadcast, I was like, it probably could have, you know, rated him a little higher on.
Speaker 3: The last board.
Speaker 2: Admittedly, it's a bat with a fantastic approach, elite at the ball skills and with the way the Red Sox kind of like had been able to work in the more batspeed on some of these guys, I think there's some more power to do unlocked there.
Speaker 3: Do I think he just towarch up the next level?
Speaker 2: We'll see. I think the arms a little light for the position. Maybe put him at second base, But this is a high probability Big leaguer for me. Where he's just going to find his way on base and be a Havoc record essentially, and like Owen whole same way, This is a guy that I wish would would pull the ball more, and he kind of did this past year, which is fascinating, which like I think in Omaha he's pulling balls at like one to eight, one ten and he can play a pretty solid center field. Jase Manazinski in the third round is another cold weather bat that like performed well across multiple big tournaments, but obviously getting Sheller in the ninth round, who I had as a maybe outside the top one hundred or maybe just inside that I can't remember. You know, big power bat, have some vibes of like a Drew Burris type of bat, similar size, doesn't play the same kind of center field that Burris does, but like the mold is kind of there for Sheller, and then getting capable to Favor in the ten round from Iowa, another cold weather guy who you know, super super projectable, been up to ninety five ninety six in like Iowa does like a spring league because they start so late in the year. I think they start in like May, but you know, they they did kind of had to go after some like older reliever guys, you know, Lucas having for Brett Landman. They all have big extension numbers, and that's something I kind of noticed as they were going through the course. They're going after guys with big extension.
Speaker 1: You know, the special It's all about the extension.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So you know the Again, the more I've slept on it, the more I like this class. I think Schaffner is gonna be really really good. Owen Hole is one of my favorite bats this year. Having having the ability to watch both those guys this year was impressive, and maybe that's what wins me over is the fact that I saw them performed so well, so much well.
Speaker 1: On the other side too, is like when your savings picks are archetypes of players that you do a really good job of maximizing. Like I was scratching my head when they trade to perau Us for Jake Bennan. Look at what Jake Bennett's done, you know. And then this is on the pro side, but like I think that the same could be said with the amateur side. There's a reason why they I d Peyton Totley a couple of years ago, and look at his development and what they've been able to do since taking over and overhauling things with Connolly early and how he's progressed. So those were like the savings picks right the lefty extension guys, and then on top of saving the money with schaff Ner it then being able to go get the high, high upside guys later on. It makes a lot of sense. And I think there's a lot of volume of talent here in this Red Sox class that's easy to get behind. Not as creative of a class would be the Cubs, but it doesn't necessarily mean bad. I think there's a clear trend here too, with guys that can spin it and big power, but swing and misconcern. What do you make of the Cubs class? I loved Kid Townsend, you know, and I was a guy I think to grab at twenty three, think perfect fit for what they want to do. But I just thought it was interesting how they kind of followed things up there with Currell and Bailey who come with plenty of swing and miss, and then the other arms as well, big spin, but some command questions and maybe some other questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of risk in this draft class, and I think the more like. This is another one where I've kind of thought about it more. It's like, Okay, it's not as bad as I originally thought. I love the pick. I think he's a fantastic guy. We talked about him a lot in Philly, where you know Deep Arsenal. The fastball you can probably squeak a little bit more out of, but the cutter's fantastic. The curve ball is fantastic. I think the slider also is another really really good pitch, So to have that in his back pocket is pretty impressive. I think it's it's not Kate Horton like, but the spin traits are there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Carson Jiassa from Nebraska is another guy like he's slider dominant. He threw a lot of sliders this year and that's mainly because the fastball command was never there.
Speaker 3: I think he's a reliever.
Speaker 2: Dylan Marina from Northwestern States actually a pretty intriguing arm in the fourth round. Dylan Blomker, you know, getting him in the fifth is pretty solid value. And there's just a lot of guys with the they spin the ball really well, like Chase Meyer has spin raised at thirty two hundred RPMs last year before everything kind of went downhill with you know, getting kicked off the team and everything. But at the end of the day, like the risk is there if you can turn Thurreil and Bailey into at least like forty hit tools. In my opinion, I think you're going to get be able to maximize a lot of the power because they're both guys. I think Sorell personally sixty power, Bailey is seventy, maybe even eighty if you really want to put it out there, that kid can delete Baseball's like anybody else.
Speaker 1: And it's another organization here betting on what they do well. I mean, how many different hitters do we need to see just make leaps in this cub system. They're really pushing it now though, where it's like let's grab the most powerful guys with the biggest hit tool concerns, and let's really see if we could get these guys right, because what will be if we can do that. But I mean, you look at the development of so many of these hitters, and I always just keep going back to like jose hartch one in the sixth round was one thing. But Owen ay Er is a guy that had swinging misconcern to switch hitter a nineteenth round guy like the way that he has developed. But you can go throughout the system. There's been so many different bats that have made leaps prospect wise throughout this organization that I don't blame them for betting on that kind of strength there. But still headlining a class with the obvious OVI. I know you don't always draft for need, but like the Cubs, they needed an arm in the first round, and I think they got was likely the best arm available. There. We go to the White Sox and I mean, this is this was the class, Like you got to have as much fun ever. I mean like if if you if you got the opportunity to run a draft, and I think you will one day, right, but like this is what you dream of, right, Like this is the opportunity. It feels like you almost can't mess up. Of course you always can, but you could spray the board when you've got twenty plus ms to work with, Like this is a dream for you, No, tyler, Like what did you go?
Speaker 3: Rock Toll?
Speaker 1: Ask you one and then you still have endless money to work with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And in that trade the night before with Jacob Gadela is going to the Pirates for number thirty four just solidified a lot of things. You know, you get getting into over to pay, you get like twenty one and a half million dollars like that's it's the largest bonus pool in in this era essentially, and I think they did a very good of allocating it respectively. You know, I continue to put Rocket at my number one prospect in this class. It was just, you know, so tough to look back and be like, hey, this is a guy with gold gluff defense at shortstop. As much as he didn't replicate what he did a year ago, he didn't do anything to really take himself off that pedestal for me. And then you look at what they did after obviously getting Jim Tomy's son land In Cole pro sec and then he also sprinkle in some other high upside prep guys with Alex Wein Gartner, Kyle Casteele on.
Speaker 3: The eleventh round.
Speaker 2: They they were looking at some middle infielders who rated so obviously Tomey and Prosek pro sk I thought it was a first rounder, So to get him at forty one was fantastic. Wine Gartner's a top one hundred guy for me and Kyle Casteele, we put in late and it came him around two hundred. So to get him on you know, what would be stereotypical day three is fantastic.
Speaker 3: And then to get some.
Speaker 2: Guys like volgekow Sagariscalari going out of some proving college arms. Clay Burdett was a very good bat Xavier, So they took some risk here as well. But it's definitely easier to stomach when you look at the class that they were able to bring in before that with these again, these high upside prep guys who can hit and fit in the middle infield and do a job for you. So I think they did a fantastic job with what they were able to bring in with the amount of money that they had. I think there was a plan there and they were able to execute it brilliantly.
Speaker 1: That's what I was going to ask you, Like is the follow up was basically they were supposed to have the best draft class in terms of talent, and like, do you think they came away with the best draft class in terms of talent?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think for me it would have been tough to look at that money and go if they're not number one, then something's gone wrong and they were able to prove that they belonged at the top for me at least, and maybe you know, if you talk to some oilar people, they view it differently just for you know, different opinions on some players. But for me, like again, you get pro Sick at forty one, that's a fantastic value you get For me, Win Gartner in the sixth round is fantastic as well. So getting these guys in their positions that they were drafted in just great value picks.
Speaker 1: We go to the reds Now and this is I don't know, I'm interested for your thoughts on this one, because they get Justin Lebron at eighteen and this is probably the most polarizing player in the class and we heard you know, could go as well as the end of the first round, could go as high as an underslat guy in the top ten to twelve, and he ends up going eighteen but gets overslapped by three hundred grand And then Eric Becker solid well rounded college bats. You go from maybe the most volatile to make more well rounded, safer guy Moulvii Lavou like I love the swing, but you're taking a first Baseman here has got a bang, but I think he obviously can. And then you look at the arms and I think it's just kind of like higher for or I'm just curious what you think about this class overall, and it just it feels funny on a draft because and of course it's always gonna be like duh, the first round pick is always going to you know, set the tone for how we perceive the draft cost. But I think as as time has passed, like there's just so many talented baseball players and so much strategies to the draft that sometimes you can whiff on the first round and still have a great draft. It really feels like this Rered's coast though, like it all hinges on Lebron.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 2: You're taking a big swing on finding that top of the class talent that he had about eighteen months ago, I feel like, and they feel confident in doing so. Obviously it took him in the first round for a reason. The biggest thing for me Lebron is obviously the swinging mixiganst breaking balls. You know it's going to be something that follows him for a bit. And then also the defense kind of fell back a little bit this year, but the pro development in terms of defense has gotten so much better in the past few years.
Speaker 3: I think that they're fine with that.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just it's finding a way to get him to us and to recognize spin a little bit better and also change the batpath a little bit. You know, Uh, do you sacrifice some of the high end, you know, fastballs that he can hit for getting some breaking balls low and away and kind of fix that swing a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think you do. So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot of risk on Lebron for me. But then like Eric Becker, you know, pretty safe pick Molevi Levu has just banged for three years. He might be tried out third base too. We'll see what happens. Then they go for some pretty like I don't want to say stereotypical arms, but like they're kind of safer floor kind of guys. Ty Horn, you know, performer for three years at Nebraska, Eathan Norby, kind of same thing for Ecu. He might be a reliever though, Dougan Marston, Sherman Johnson is a good bat, Calvin Prosky, kinn of Griff and Brody Purcell, they get They went after a lot of guys that kind of like it helps them save a little bit money but also has some some trace that they like and it's more safer than what you would normally look for. And then getting Dylan Bowen, that's another big get in the fifth round. You know, order for the class, but very athletic can play, and that's kind of another thing they look for is athletic in fielders. So again, this is I think it's it is a good class, but there's obviously going to be a lot of talk about who they took it in the first round and how that progresses for the next couple of years.
Speaker 1: Bowen ninety second on your draft board. They grabbed him at one fifty four, So yeah, that seems like that's like the one higher variance guy outside of the first round that could kind of push this draft class up a little bit besides Lebron because again, the other guys are solid, but their median outcome like solid player. Maybe who's the guy that can kind of really exceed where he was drafted. It seems like to your point, that is the guy that could do that. We go to the Cleveland Guardians and in recent years, I think there was a more obvious theme. So I'm curious to see if there's one from you in this one, because in the past, like they'd been so contact oriented, middle and field tip like organizationally that it seems they clearly tried to buck that trend the last couple of years and especially last year just went power with with concern, kind of like the Cubs bats and but a little bit about auticism and just try to balance out the system with Jase Laviolette, Aaron Walton, Nolan Schubart, like it goes on and on this class. I don't see it as obvious with that they lead it off with two arms, and obviously I don't know as much about the two bats they get, you know, or the three bats they get with the third, fourth and fifth picks. What stands out to you with the Guardian's draft. Of course Peterson an exciting get at the top, but just overall.
Speaker 2: It's definitely going after some premium arms. Like you look at who they got after Peters and Logan Schmid was a guy and like I believe I had him around thirty five to forty on my board and get him in the second round. And then you get a guy like Savion Simms who touches one hundred, is six foot eight to ten and has a lot of growing ahead of them, you know in the seventh round. And I feel like that's what a class kind of leans on a little bit, is these power arms like at Scott, Mario Peska are other guys that like college reformers. Scott has you know, changed himself at Georgia turned into a more powerful arm. Pesca is the guy that's got a lot of extension, Builka, Jake Bean. So they they have a type and they went for it on that regard, but they go after these high upside prep guys. Is impressive. They did with Chase Mobile a couple of years ago. I believe Joey Oki was another one that they went after on that regard, So they're not afraid to take that risk. And you know, conversely, looking at the bats like Trey Brossard, you know, one of my favorite spark plugs in his class, Kate Lewis was a very solid bad at wake Forest probably needs to pull the ball a little bit more, but he's shown to go oppo routine Lee and has some some pretty solid you know, hit tool and empower to kind of go into Lucas Moore, he was viewed as a first rounder coming into the year, tried to do I think he tried to do a little too much. He went away from his his play style, which is, you know, this slappy, top of the order guy who has said speed can be a tear on the base paths and can.
Speaker 3: Play a good center field.
Speaker 2: But he tried to go for more power this year and it just didn't necessarily work out beating the chance, big power guy. So there's stuff to like with this Guardian's class. I think obviously they know what they're looking for with these arms and to maximize them.
Speaker 3: The Guardians are that.
Speaker 2: Team to do it, thinking of like previous guys that throw hard and have power stuff. Davin Williams, you know, he's he's just he's through an immaculate inning today and yeah, he just.
Speaker 1: Struck out eleven for the third straight start. So it seems like if you're not on the arm side, kind of Guardians going back to what they do well. And I think beyond the top arms, you just wonder with all the other guys that you mentioned too, like obviously not all of them are going to hit, but you think about just what could be with some of these other guys and especially save On Sims. I'm excited to see what the Guardians do, but it seems like they're really stockpiling the arms again, which has just always been an area of strength for them.
Speaker 4: We go to that absolutely Colorado Rockies next, and the Rockies like, you know, this is I'll say it a million times, this is the new front office that actually kind of operates now.
Speaker 1: So like it's just I was very intrigued to see how they approached this, and a lot of people out there really like Tyler Bell. Of course comes with some injury concern with the shoulder, but Bell switch hitter some really interesting you know, bat ball data. He's somehow better with two strikes, so I think just just refining the approach earlier in the count will only help him. I know, Daniel Jackson the catcher, was a guy that you really liked as well, and that was their second pick. And then they go a lot of arms, which they have to do, right. You can't get anybody willingly to go pitch there, so you got to draft them so they don't have a choice. What did you make of the Rockies class overall, which was again two bats off the top and then one they go pitcher, one more bat and then I think it was a run of about ten straight pitchers.
Speaker 3: Yep, yeah, that's about what it was.
Speaker 2: But like, I like how they kind of go for these power guys because they obviously power plays in corps. So Tyler Bell above average power, Daniel Jackson plus power, jack and Tilly plus power. So you know, I would say a to get Daniel Jackson tense bus below where I had him at thirty seven Golden Spikes winner had a fantastic year at Georgia, was able to go back to what he was as a as a freshman at Wafford and really just destroy the baseball. So I was very happy that he got him there. Logan read him in you kind of tweet some pitch usage and some pitch shapes to kind of a lot some more there. But he's kind of like he's kind of maxed out for what he is right now. But you know, he looked like a legitimately new arm at UCLA this year before his arm injury. Ben Davis might be the fastest riser in this class. Tyler Putnam is super super projectable and also has been able to throw one hundred the past couple of months and then going down the board like Davin Schwartz and eleven for round is a good get for them. Schwartz had a lot of projection and some healium tune throughout the year saw him last year. It's a good get for them. They tried taking a swing with Blake bow and obviously in the eighteenth round, but I don't think that's ultimately going to happen. But I think at the end of the day, like getting your strengths into that ballpark and knowing what you are able to do with them is fantastic. And I think getting three really really powerful bats in the top one hundred picks is something that you kind of walk away happy with.
Speaker 1: And I just like that you mentioned the arms too, Like you get a nearly two million dollar arm in Puttnam without going huge underslot with your first pick or really your second pick enough to help you combined to seven hundred thousand dollars. But at the same time, so guys that at those spots, I think a lot of people thought that was a pretty normal spots to draft bell in Jackson. So you get Puttnam, you know, with big upside on the Mountain and into two million dollars pay day nearly and then you met you get Schwartz, as you mentioned, a million dollar arm essentially in the eleventh round, so you're able to buy down some upside there when you always need as much pitching as possible. I think you got to love that, you know, approach there for the Rockies if you're a Rockies fan, and a little bit more creativity to their draft this time around. We're going to get to the Tigers in a moment here before that, one more break time for the Tigers draft here, and Tiger's kind of deviated. Scott Harris deviated a little bit from what we are used to seeing, surprising people with the cam Fluchi pick, though that was a fun one, and then they didn't pick again until pick sixty one, where they go with a short stop from Kansas, Tyson LeBlanc. What did you think overall from the class? Were there any kind of how surprised were you by the fluky selection, given how much Harris loves his you know, prep, left handed hitting high school guys, and then in general just just what did you kind of make of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was kind of a little concerned that he was locked up in a room somewhere. Give it the lack of left handed infielders on the prep side, he was still a going to get Robert Omedi and Will Adams, who you know immediate Watching him last year, I thought he was a guy that's gonna match no matter what, even if his a little position listened and Will Adams was a big helium guy. This year grew into more power hit tools fantastic. So to get those two and I believe the eighth and the eleventh round is fantastic. I think Adams was just outside the top one hundred. Omedia was like one twenty one thirty for me, and they took some risk on some guys that kind of fell this year. Always in Max Maloney and Brady Ballinger did not have great seasons after having really suctacular sophomore years. So it's a little they're good value for what they are if he can return in the for and I think that's fantastic for the Tigers, But fluky at twenty two. I like the the arm itself. I understand some people have their concerns about the lack of like powerful pitches, but still a really really good fastball plus curveball command and polish has always been there for him.
Speaker 3: I think you can unlock more of him as well. LeBlanc.
Speaker 2: I think he's another guy that comes from either D two or Naia, goes to Kansas and has just a fantastic here and Evan Depsey gonna pitch. So there's some guys to really like in the top ten rounds of this class. I think they did a really good job of finding not only risk, but also can we return these guys to for him and really turn them into what they were again, So finding some bast back candidates was fantastic and I think they've done a good job with that.
Speaker 1: Another class where it does feel like a lot is on the shoulders of the first round pick overall, though, and you never know because guy's always emerge. But I just feel like with the wide range of what Fluki could be, but also the risk, like that does kind of set the tone here in a lot of ways. If there's one guy outside of Fluki that could jolt this class too, who would it be?
Speaker 2: Of the guys you mentioned, I could see the LeBlanc being that player. I know some people had him outside the top one hundred. I had him closer to like seventy five or maybe even higher than that. The guy is going to be able to play short stout for a long time. There's some power in there that's not been unlocked yet in the hit tools. Pretty sound. So this is a guy that took his jump from obviously. I think it was like lsu Eunice down in Louisiana to go to the Big twelve and help Kansas go to their first Super Regional ever. So I think he's a guy that's going to make a lot of noise in this draft class.
Speaker 1: Love it, love it, and in classic call up fashion, this is going to have to end up being a two parter because it's just wanting to get into each of these classes. Like I'm going to be keeping you two hours here today, which we can't do. You already had a full day of work, so we'll have to circle back on the second half. But we got a few more to get through here. We'll split it right down the middle and I think we'll be perfect. But this is just the most classic call up thing ever. This is what we always do. But we'll go over to the astros here. And this was a fun one too, because I like lugging Hughes. I don't know if I seventeenth overall pick like Logan Hughes, but can't judge that until you see what it opens up for them later. And Hughes the left hand of hitting outfielder from Texas Tech, great bat speed. I mean, he's going to have to really hit, but he's got the ingredients to be able to do that. I think there's a hit and power blend from the left side. I think you get quite excited about They go with Jack Ordell and the second pick, and I think that was one that kind of I'm very excited to get your thoughts there, because I think some could be really high on that arm and I could understand why. And then I'm just kind of curious what you saw from the rest of their draft to maybe justify the Logan Hughes Savings pick at seventeen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think this is another class that like a bit of a philosophy change. The astros are usually you know, they go after risk a lot. This is a very a polished group of players. Like Logan Hughes is like aj Grossi a little bit where the bat's going to play no matter what, it doesn't matter where you put them defensively, I liked them in like the twenties, so this kind of makes sense for the Astros to kind of take that and run with it. I think Logan Hughes is like a very high upside offensive profile and Jack Ordell another guy with like seven feet of extension, deep pitch mix, throws strikes. He's been a performer. He had a fantastic year at Notre Dame this year. I thought he might have been a dark horse for the ACC Pitcher of the Year this year, and seeing him twice and performing well on both of them, really it just solidified feel feel about him where it was this guy's gonna be a high floor starter at the next level, who's gonna throw a lot of strikes, has some upside in his breaking balls. He doesn't spend the ball very well, but his pitch shapes are fantastic for what he is, so they get him. Westman is obviously ac Pitcher of the Year, did another great, great job at Florida State this year. And then if there's anyone that really helps to the savings, it's obviously Keon Johnson and Bo Peterson. In the third and the fourth where you can give them a little bit more money. Obviously, these high schoolers are going to ask for a lot more. But at the same token, these are polished guys that have had a track record of hitting it in big tournaments. Keon saw him last year pretty early and often he performed at every stop.
Speaker 3: Bill Peterson did the same thing.
Speaker 2: So to get those guys where they were, it's pretty impressive. And I had them roughly in that range anyway, so it kind of fits what we were looking at. Cam Durnan is a good bad as well. I know they drafted James Tronsteen in the fifteenth round. I've heard rumors that it's probably not going to happen, but if they were able to get that guy to sign, it would have put the Jerry On thought to a pretty solid class. But without him, it's kind of just like a high floor class to where you know you're gonna get a couple of good, big leaders out of this, but nothing's gonna essentially wow you or like blow you away at the next level.
Speaker 1: Well, and that, to your point, is definitely a change. There's no Xavier Nines in this class. There's no Bryce Matthews or like don I don't know if he's going to hit it enough, but if he does, holy crap, right, and that doesn't see there's that guy this year, And I think sometimes it's good to balance things out, and I think we're seeing that more with teams, like even the approach that they generally have, they know that to just have a more well rounded farm system, you got to deviate from it here and there, and it seems like that's what the Astros did. But also we could see a little bit of a front office change there after this season, so that part will be interesting. We go to one of the more I think unique draft classes, because when you take a player at six that you also had a lot of people making to do at thirty, you are probably gonna be one of the more surprising drafts. And that's the Royals. They go with Zion Rose with their first pick, a guy that they obviously adore, but that also saved them almost two million dollars to then do a lot of other things. So Rose very surprising pick. I don't think like shocking in the respect that the Royals grabbed him and if anyone was going to do it, you know and go this this big underslot in the top six picks it was going to be the Royals with Zion Rose just what it seems like how tither they were to each other. But do you feel like with the savings of the Rose pick they maximized, you know, the rest of their selections.
Speaker 3: I think they did.
Speaker 2: And talking with Jared too, because obviously he's our Royals guy and you know, he's had some some conversations with the guys where people were kind of like wondering what the main play here was In Taylor rebe at thirty and Jack Slideham who had a three million dollar you know, bonus in the second round. Those are big, obviously big upside guys who had some helium late in the class. I don't think the rankings on the public scale really do justice to how much helium.
Speaker 3: They had going into the drafts.
Speaker 2: So, you know, doing that, I think that's a very solid upse I bet from them getting Max Yelle, who had a fantastic year at West Virginia. Dominic Battista had a hammett injury, but the power has been there, the speed's been there. I think also to look at Camden Johnson in the ninth round, who I had as a top one hundred guy, you know, that's exceptional value at that range. And then obviously the big caveat here Hudson von in the nineteenth round, who you know. At first you're like, maybe it's an insurance pick, but it sounds like the Royals really want to sign him, and we've got a couple more days to figure that out. But if they get it done, it's fantastic. I think that that's another, you know, pieces of a puzzle of what I think is a pretty solid draft class in general, because they got some pretty intriguing arms outside of that too, like Ethan mcilvan, Justin Laguernik, Dylan v Hunter, Poschule, Grant fought not from LSU. These are guys that have uniqueness to him. I think Macklelvan can start at the next level. Vegue has shown the ability to start as well. So I think there's a chance that there's some more intriguing arms that kind of surprise people in this class than some whould expect. But I don't think what the Royals did at the top of this draft is you know, hampering them in any way. I think they still got fantastic value later in the draft that is going to play a lot into how this class evolves.
Speaker 1: And Zon Rose, I mean, really good ballplayer, right, He's a late first round guy. I think by the consensus there, I don't love the swing mechanics as good as he his bats of ball wise, I just think it's gonna have to get cleaned up a little bit to be able to just turn around hard stuff in consistently, and I just think be able to do damage to the poll side and just be able to maximize his quality of contact. Obviously, the Royals feel really really good about what he can be, what he can do on the pro side. The makeup is by all accounts off the charts, and think that's something that'll always just helps, you know, when you have that risk or concern to consider and getting the bats of ball skills you can't really teach. Even with some of the wonkiness, like he's so good at getting bats ball. It's a good athlete overall. Obviously, he's not a top ten pick talent, so what he do you make it that? Obviously we talked about the saving side and how they were able to maximize and it seems like they spread the board pretty well there. But with Rose just at the sixth pick, what do you make of him as a player, And I guess just tying it down to like, do you see why they are so high on him and why they like him so much?
Speaker 2: I think the biggest thing it kind of loose at the other trends in the first round where some of these teams were just really looking at these safer hit tools, like Dion Rose has been a tough out in the ACC for three years now. Obviously power has never necessarily been there. He did show it last year, but this year kind of went back to that way of you know, I'm going to use the whole field and and sting some line drives instead of sell out for this power, which is, you know, something I don't necessarily hate whatsoever. I think there's more to on Lockdore, like you said, with you know, fixing the swing a little bit to get some more leverage out of it, maybe get into his pull side more. He's again he's shown the power trace in the past. I think he's very capable of like fifteen plus home runs at the next level.
Speaker 3: But also to have a guy that I yes, like we.
Speaker 2: Had him in the back end of the first round, but I think at the end of the day, you can make a case to where he could have been fifteenth to twentieth in that class with a guy that obviously hit four hundred and ye acc this year and then also has been able to turn into a quality defender and immediately is a cornered outfield spot. But like he was a catcher as a prep, never never had outfield experience until he got to Louisville, so he's turned himself into a decent outfielder as well. So I think this is another case where like the public public boards and the in room boards are going to differ on some of these guys. And obviously, you know Royals are prime example of that, and there's there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, and I think it's gonna be really fun to see how it plays out. But again, you can even see even if he is if he trends more like a guy that looked like a back end of the first round talent, you can see why they did it with the exciting arms that were able to be added there and the upside that the Royals have in this overall class, and Rose the person with still the talent that he has can understand the Royals betting on that go to the Angels now, and the Angels at first it was like, oh wow, they are completely bucking the trend of what we're used to do. And then they went right back to their ways. But they go with Jared Grinlinger. I always want to say it's Grinlinger, right, yeah, two way player, one of the younger in the class. Maybe Arden Moreno called this one in himself and says, we need to try the Otani thing again. They're gonna give them all the time to potentially do both of those things. And then they go right back to college right, like in just high floor college. Like I don't even know what the ceiling is on these guys, but they hit right and Jared evinkuah, what is he? Hits leader in college baseball, Graham Goehovic, like they go college college college, college, college college, Jackson Willitts as well, really high for switch hitter brother of Eli. Start with Grindler because I think it's a really fascinating situation with what could be here, and you alluded to this in the draft stream of like young for the class. They could take their sweet time and actually try to develop this kid as a two way guy at the complex for a year or two before even fully deploying him in a full season ball And then what did you see after that pick?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I first off, it was a breakfast, fresh air, you know, to have a high schooler for d Angels in the first round. Secondly, you know, to your point, yes, you kind of let this kid stay at the complex, figure out what pathy's going to happen the next level and go from there.
Speaker 3: You know, they don't need to rush him whatsoever.
Speaker 2: He's he was seventeen and two on draft day, and it's one of the youngest draft picks ever. I think the if you're wanted, like a comparison, Ken Grifrey Junior was roughly this age when he was drafted first overall back in what eighty eighty six, eighty nine. I could I could be misinterpreted on the year, but I just remember he was first overall in one of the late eighties.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'd say I wasn't even close. Cool. But yeah, like with.
Speaker 2: Greenlinger, you you just you just get to have the chance to let this kid figure out what he's gonna end up being. Is he a bad at the end of the day, do you we think he could be an arm with you know, been up to ninety six with a good breaking ball. You know, I think there's a lot of physical physical maturity that's still unlocking this kid. You know he's gonna have. He's got a frame where you can add another like fifteen twenty pounds to him and see does the athleticism take up? Do you see more power out of him? He already has fantastic about the ball skills. As an outfielder, I mean he essentially glides. You know when I say like, you know, this is a comfortable above average runner with long strides, like it's a gazelle essentially in the outfield to where he could probably.
Speaker 3: Play a center field spot if he holds up. If not, he's in right field.
Speaker 2: Conversely, if you like him as an arm lots of arm speed, has has more velo to unlocked, and already has a pretty solid breaking ball too, come in you can work on a little bit. But I think at the end of the day, you let this kid two way until he approves you that he can't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially with with what the Angels are probably gonna want to do, and the one time they take a high school guy're probably going to try to maximize that ceiling there as much as they can because they go high floor with the rest of the guys. What do you make of the college runoff for most of the other picks and they do it takes a couple interesting I think, like potential overswat guys in the eighth and ninth rounds. But I'm just curious what you think of the rest of the class with the Angels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just stereotypical angels personally, it is a bit of a change. Do you to just go after arms after like the second round like Jase Shores, but they went after some bats. I kind of like obviously at Van Kila being at Georgia Tack. He's hit for three years in the ACC, both at Cal and at Georgia Tack. Not a ton of power, but like you look at this guy as a potential seventy hit tool if you look at at the end of the day, Gavin Kerhovic had a lot of hype as a freshman, got hurt, comes back this year, has a great year. I think he's personally a first baseman, but it's a lot of power from the right side. I think you take that either way. You look at it, Ryan Lujo, Jackson Willis. They're going for big conference performers here, even with some of the arms as well, like Ryan Hetzler, Justin Byrd had fantastic years at Georgia and Auburn. Garrett Wright goes from bowling Green, has an injury, goes to Tennessee and you know.
Speaker 3: He got a late start of the year.
Speaker 2: But it's a guy that can play both behind the plate and in the outfield with a good arm, aggressive as all get out, but at the same time as good bat the ball skills with burging power. Trevor Hanson is a guy with you know, he's been a story for three years at UC Irvine. Also poppers the strike zone been up to ninety four to ninety five with a really really good breaking ball and change up. So you know, it's not like these arms or these bats at the college level don't have upside. These are guys that have been able to perform for three years and there's still stuff to unlock on some of them. And getting a guy like Jackson Willows, who was you know, white hot going into the to the College Fool Series and helping them win that title, I'd say you let that carry over and see what it does for the Angels in the minor leagues. I think this is, you know, probably one of my more favorite classes from them in the past few years.
Speaker 1: Nice, that's good to hear. And again with the headliner or the high school guy on top, and then the college bats that may make a little bit more sense. This time around. We wrap up with the Dodgers, who had very little money to work with, but they're able to land boler On. So I think it's one of the best value picks in the draft to get him at forty for a guy that I know you thought could easily be in the back end of the first I thought could even be a little bit higher than that six or five. You know, left hand and hitting infielder who looks like you can stay on the left side of the infield has just continued to become more agile for how big he is, such a smooth swing. But I'm also really curious, like, with their hands tied behind their back, basically, how do they do with the of the class as well behind you know, again, a great first round pick when you're not picking until forty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say they blew me away from like round four onward. You know, they didn't have a fifth round, sixth round, second or third, so you're missing a lot of firepower there, but you go after some intriguing arms like Russell Stanley for from from Florida, turned into one of the better Sunday starts in the SEC this year. Been a big fan of him since his days at Saint Leo. He was a D two guy with the UCF N the Florida so you know he's he's climbed the ladder and performed at every stop. Charlie West is in the striking reliever, same for Gostola from Oregon. And then you kind of look at some guys like Cody Knew and Gavin van and Keeping in the eleventh and twelve rounds. Both guys got injured this year. Both guys were also in line for for massive years at their at their clubs. You know, Cody Knew got hurt first week of the year, but had a fantastic sophomore year and it was actually looking a lot better before you got hurt. And being the camp been went from West Virginia to ECU and they added like a bullet slider from the release point that he has and like it's a tray, a savage release high it's like seven feet in the air, super steeps the plate. But also the same token, it allows your secondaries to play from that angle, and he's got a really good curveball slider and splitter.
Speaker 3: That it keeps it down in the zone. Nobody's touching it.
Speaker 2: So I believe like the last start he had, or like second last start before the injury, he gets struck out fourteen and six, So there's huge.
Speaker 3: Upside with that.
Speaker 2: And to put him into a Dodger system that can maximize talent like that, it's just a fantastic fit for me. And like if they get guys like eating Something or Camden Wimbish in the sixteen to seventeenth round to sign, which I don't necessarily know if they have or not. Maybe one has, maybe the other hasn't.
Speaker 3: I have to.
Speaker 2: Look at it, but uh, you know, I think they did a good job of finding value. Besides, you know what they had left because obviously Lawns had seventy five percent of their entired just cool, which is deserved.
Speaker 3: Like I thought, he's the top twenty talent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and that's so I said it a couple other times. This is actually the guy that can make or break a draft class because he is the draft class for the most part. I don't know have we ever seen anything like this. I'd have to for people that are wondering. They had to pick one pick in the first then they didn't pick till the fourth, and also their first pick was the fortieth, so they picked fortieth overall, one hundred and thirty second, Then they didn't pick again until two hundred and twenty third, and then they didn't pick again until two hundred and fifty third, two hundred and eighty third. Then it got normal from there, but no second, no third rounder, no fifth, no sixth, and their first round pick was fortieth overall.
Speaker 3: In that and that pick drop ten spots because.
Speaker 2: Of the the the threshold, yeah, the CBA threshold.
Speaker 1: So yeah, crazy crazy, and they still get a first round talent and kind of a guy that I think could be better than that. But this is where they can fux scouting muscles on some of the different arms that you mentioned, and I'm excited just players and gentlemen that will probably end up taking a leap with them this year regardless. So like they had their hands. It's literally like they're fighting everybody with one hand tied behind their back, and like, I still think they're gonna end up beating up some of these other teams with the one hand tied behind their back because they're the Dodgers. But it'll be fun to see how it all unfolds. It'll also be fun to do part two eventually, so we'll try to line that one up. Sorry, Tyler, it looks like you're gonna have to talk about the draft one more time here for the twenty twenty six class. But this was awesome, man. Always appreciate your your breakdowns and all of your info on all of these classes. And again we got fifteen more to go next time around anywhere anything else specifically coming out that you can plug.
Speaker 2: So at the moment, working on some obviously twenty twenty seven work has already started. So got the collegiate national team a couple weeks ago, did eighteen U trials this past weekend, and then go in the area coaching a couple of weeks out in California. So still a lot of work to be done on the draft front for twenty twenty seven. So you know, I don't sleep at this point. You can tell by the bags under both eyes, Like, at this point, we're just gonna we're gonna sleep in October at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it is all exciting stuff though, and I appreciate everything that you do. Man. Excited for part two, we'll try to find that a little window for that, and uh, don't worry out there. Well, we're gonna break down your teams as well. We'll talk to you one more time this week with Jeff