Speaker 1: Al Zone Media. Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Either snow nor rain, nor heat nor darkness can stop the Persian Courier Service. Welcome to Dick it Out here, a podcast about postal services. Who reasked the question can the American capitalist class finally stop the American post Office? I'm your host, Mio Long and with me to talk about what is going on with the post office, what's going on with the post office unions, and yeah, how things are going downhill for the noble people who carry your mail. Is Tommy Espinoza, who's a union steward for the National Association of Letter Carriers to welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me, Thank you so much for giving us the mail care dollars, the male carriers a platform to stand on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really I'm really happy to you and I'm really happy to get to talk to you about this. So I think the place we should start is with a bunch of very very weird stuff in how labor law works. So, Okay, for like most people in the United States, you have a fatally protected right to strike if you have a union. That is not true for federal employees. That is especially not true for members of the Post Office, and that is a real issue because the government has decided that, like, yeah, I know, all these people who do vital service are not allowed to go on strike and it absolutely sucks. Yeah, So I think this gets into sort of where I want to start, which is with the sort of history of the National Association of Life Carriers, a union that is not allowed to strike, and how sort of weird that is. So yeah, I was wondering if you could talk a bit about sort of the origins of the union and what effect that has had on how organizing works or doesn't work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the right to strike has been a rather divisive topic. I'm sure you're familiar with unions and just generally people on our side of our side of politics to be infighting a lot I shouldn't come to a surprise.
Speaker 4: So in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 3: Just over fifty years ago, the salary for postal workers was under two dollars an hour. People were working months straight with no days off, and those were close to twelve hour days, And so these postal workers at the time qualified for welfare and decided in nine teen seventy to go on strike despite it being illegal. This conversation is not new. It was illegal then, it's illegal now. And I do want to be crystal clear here. I am not advocating for a strike that would also be against the law, and we don't advocate for anything that's against the law. What I do want to advocate for is the right to strike, because being quasi federal, there's a lot of limitations in what the NAOC and the general postal unions are able to do. In total, there are nine bargaining agreements and seven unions within the Post Office, some of which are the manager's unions, so take that as it is. Yet, on top of not being able to strike, none of our money that we collect as union does can be used for lobbying purposes, so they can't support a single candidate or any of the parties involved. We have a separate fund for that with the NALC called the Letter Carrier's Political Fund, to try and circumvent the restrictions that are put on there. And as a result of that, it's like we're fighting with our hands tied behind our back. We are unable to organize effectively. Our union leadership seems to be afraid of protests and picketing for fear that it'll be misconstrued or labeled as a strike, and they're I think generally afraid of public opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a debilitating set of conditions because you've effectively taken away sort of the two major tools that you know, I mean unions of basically across all political stripes used, right, You've taken away the ability to strike. You've taken away the ability to use your due's money to influence actions. So this immediately means you've taken away the tool that sort of Milton unions use, which strikes, and you've taken away the tools that more conservative unions use, which is buying attempting to buy politicians. And then also your leadership is like we can't strike, I mean, we can't protest because someone might think it's a strike and the public might commenitus, and it's like that that doesn't seem I don't know, it really seems like it's like it's not only have you tied both hands behind your back, you've like tied them behind your back to your legs and you're now rolling around on the ground.
Speaker 3: Right, And to talk about what happens when we push past all of these barriers and just do it anyways? You know, in March nineteen seventy, two hundred and ten thousand postal workers defied law, defied the general leadership of the time. And it all started in New York where people clocked in and at nine o'clock they just walked out. Soon, let's see, it was Cleveland, Chicago, Los Angeles. The nation joined very shortly after. Once it broke the news that they were calling for a national strike. Nixon called in the National Guard to try and deliver mail, and the National Guard had no idea what they were doing. There's an amazing video that I'll try and send you afterwards. It's just the National Guard at our cases where we sort the mail. An interviewer is asking him, do you think that you're doing a good job? It's just like, no, it's just some kid, you know. And don't get me wrong, I'm just some guy. But you need the training, you need to know what you're doing. And it's not something that anyone can pick up in a day, but it's a job that anyone can do. But yeah, for the first time, the mail had stopped, and that won us collective bargaining binding arbitration, which is a process that I think most people within unions know what they mean, but to explain it, arbitration is what happens when our parties cannot agree on a settlement for a grievance, and eventually we call in a third party, an arbitrator to decide for us, and those are generally lawyers. On top of binding arbitration, it gave us a new pay scale and set in motion.
Speaker 4: I think over.
Speaker 3: It's got to be hundreds of raises between the colas and the new pay table. It used to be twenty one years for you to reach the top pay scale, which is absolutely ridiculous, and I think it's eight. Yeah, So the post Office was forced to reorganize, and so is the union. This is where the American Postal Workers Union was born and from this strike, we were able to settle on the National Agreement. So there's the National Agreement, which is our binding contract. There's the JCAM, which is the Joint Contract Administration Manual, just what the Post Office and the Union use as the interpretation of the contract. That way, we are not arguing and spending time about what the contract could mean. We can just focus on whether or not someone broke our agreement. So after this, one would imagine that a quasi federal institution would honor the contract that was created, argain in good faith, and treat their employees.
Speaker 4: Isn't that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's spoken like someone who has never watched a federal cod action.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Before we get into issues that we face today, I do want to say that one of the main goals of our contract negotiations, or of this episode really is to create public knowledge of how our contract is not being adhered to. If there was one main goal that I'd have in mind, is just to have the Post Office honor what they signed and agreed to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is something that it's a part of being in a union that doesn't get talked about very much, which is that the contract doesn't mean anything unless the union enforces it, because the moment the contract happens, the bosses will attempt to not abide by it. And this is what a lot of union militancy back in the sort of heyday of militancy was. I mean, like, you know, if you look at like how the UAW worked in like the sixties, right, they'd have a guy with a whistle standing on the line, and if someone did a contract violation, he would blow the whistle and everyone would just sit down and you'd immediately have a strike right it, you know, And like that level of miltancy. You don't need to be at that level to enforce a contract, but you have to actually be willing to do stuff and to fight management over it. And if you're not willing to do that, your contract is effectively meaningless. And that's a real issue with a lot of unions.
Speaker 3: Which just kind of circles back to one of the big issues that we face is that if we were to do that, that would be a willingfu delay of mail, and we could be charged for it just for trying to enforce the contract.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yeah, which the thing I think is really interesting, just to circle back to the nineteen seventy strike. Is that so the strike was illegal, right, Nixon brings in the army, in the National Guard to break it, and the strike still wins. And not only does it you know, I mean you could argue whether it achieved total victory, but not a single person who walked off the line got arrested, even though all of them technically committed a crime. And that's something that like, you know, I think, let me okay, the the enforcements of laws depends on sort of the the depends on a set of of relative balance of forces and whether people care about enforce in the law, which is how like for example, like if you pirate like seven movies and you get you get three copyright strike, you go to prison. But you know, like the sam Alman or whatever like AI company can literally steal everything on the entire Internet and get money for it and no one will love to prosecute him, right, And so so you know, whether or not something is illegal is to a large extent or or the difference between something being illegal and you going to prison for it largely has to do with the balance of forces involved. And that's something that you should keep in mind when and this is this is the thing, this is the thing that that cuts the other way too. Employers just do illegal actions literally all the time, and it doesn't matter because the state doesn't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, By and large, labor laws in America are set up in favor of the businesses of the employers. If you're familiar with workers comp or any of the systems involved in the Federal Employees Compensation Act, it's not enforced. We have cases that are pending arbitration where someone's been run over by a worker has been run over by a postal vehicle while they were working. The post office effectively takes them off of payroll to increase the damage done to the individual. Eventually, the Department of Labor says, yes, we will pay this individual, and the post office is liable to pay them now they are off the rolls, which means there's a greater period of time before this individual gets their money. And there's a certain form that within the post office the managers need to fill out.
Speaker 4: I believe it's an eighty one thirty or you know.
Speaker 3: All these forms have some numbers associated with them that they just refuse to fill out, and there's no recourse. There's no cheez, a path for us to take to make them hurry or make them get this individual the money that they're owed. And some people this doesn't ruin their lives and they've already paid off their house or whatever. But I imagine for many many working Americans that's that's their livelihood immediately down the drain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunately we need to go to ads for a little bit because unfortunately, my boss's boss's boss's livelihood depends on these ads. By technically does too, but like lord knows, I don't see that money.
Speaker 5: So ads.
Speaker 1: We are back.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I guess that leads into you the next place you want to go to, which is talking about what are the specific grievances today that y'all are dealing with and the union is not dealing with.
Speaker 3: Right So, in terms of grievances within the union and a negotiation, a lot of it does have to do with the aforementioned workers' compensation. Employees are just simply not getting paid. I think the biggest problem with the union and the grievance procedure today is that management has figured out this really effective strategy if they don't settle on the lower levels, and it gets pushed up to arbitration. Then we have a massive backlog of cases appending arbitration, which could be scheduled years out. I think if you do the math for our current rate of handling these cases and how many cases we have, it'll take around fifteen years to get through the long.
Speaker 2: Christ not assuming there's no new ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's like you know when you go to a restaurant and there's that little stanchion out there that says it's a five hour wait from this point. That's the point that we're at. Anything beyond today will be further along Jesus Christ. And so I think that is just a major problem for us clearly. Yeah, management just not complying with any of the and it makes it so that our employees have to wait.
Speaker 4: Something I do want.
Speaker 3: To talk about that's outside of the grievance procedure if we can, is just what's going on with the post Office and the Postmaster General. Yeah, all right, So I want to go at this from the customer perspective first, because I think that's the best way to relate to people. I think by and large, people are losing faith in the Post Office. Either you have no idea what's going on, or you don't care, and that's fine, I'd say. Before I joined, I didn't think of them at all. You know, they're just the guy that shows up at my house every morning. A lot of people seem to think that the post Office is going out of business, and our customers are facing increasingly long lines, misdelivered or lost mail, and an increase in postage for a service that is getting worse. People are paying more for worse service, and it's easy to point out the issues from the outside and be rightfully upset at them. I do feel like we're doing a disservice to our our customers, and I'm not really not trying to attack them when I say that they're uninformed or clueless to the inner workings of the Post Office. I do directly want to attack Congress and say that, yeah, when they post They had pushed forward a bill called the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act in two thousand and six, which required the Post Office to prefund one hundred percent of its retiree health benefits and liabilities seventy five years into the future. What so, overnight, the Post Office was handed a five point five billion dollar burden, and that's where the whole I don't know if you remember, I certainly wasn't conscious of it at the time, to save our post office stickers that were being sold and trying to fund the post Office. And really that's where the rhetoric of the post Office is going under comes from. The Other thing I want to point out is that we are a quasi federal We actually accept nothing from tax payer monies. It says it's a service, but really the post Office has ran as a business. We don't even get subsidized because they don't need to. My local union president loves to remind us that the post Office is a business that has a revenue of seventy eight point two billion dollars, and he'll want me to stress that the point two is extremely important because point two of a billion is twenty million. They are not in jeopardy. We are not going out of business. And the Postmaster General, Louis de Joy, he's the second highest paid public servant in America, just underneath the President of the United States.
Speaker 2: He's played Ward and Clarence Thomas.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was like three hundred and eighty two thousand a year or something. Like that the Joy was appointed by Donald Trump. I'm assuming this is kind of a baseless assumption, so forgive me. I'm not doing my research here, but I'm assuming that they're buddies because d Joy has no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wasn't Wasn't she the guy that Trump brought in, like specifically to destroy the post office as part of the campaign to steal the election.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's been a lot about the Joy defrauding the election process. I wasn't part of the post office to see the inner workings of it, so it's kind of hard for me to say if it was hearsay or not, but I believe it because the Joy has no idea how to run a post office. He's never been involved with this kind of business. He is in the same way that Trump is a businessman, a horrible businessman, and his Delivering for America plan could really be redefined as consolidation efforts for a business. So what they're doing is their consolidating infrastructure and the workforce, which means closing post offices in order to save money and shoving three installations into one building. That's why the lines are getting longer. It also means that from dispatch, the employees have to drive an extra mile or two into their working zone, which of course means that we're going to go into overtime, and this just throws a wrench in the mail handling process. He has single handedly made the service a lot more reliable, and I do think that you're right. Irreliable, yeah, sorry, more unreliable, And I do think that you're right. He wants to destroy the post office not only for the election, but to the point where it makes more sense to go private. Now is the time to point out that the joy is a major shareholder in FedEx, which is.
Speaker 4: Which is a subcontractor for the.
Speaker 3: USPS, and he has millions of dollars in equity involved.
Speaker 4: He's got skin in the game.
Speaker 2: Love open corruption so great.
Speaker 3: And so on the local level, on what's going on in my office, I actually have one of the better offices that I've seen or heard about. I have been sent to other offices and I have experience firsthand the bullying and harassment from management pushing us to go faster. But even at one of the better offices, I work sixty hour weeks. I don't have set days off. It's not even a rotation. When I get home. I'm spent. And my commute isn't that bad. I think I'm about fifteen minutes each way, and I really can't imagine driving two hours after an eleven hour shift just to eat and come back and do it again.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's just unsafe, Like that's see.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it would be illegal, but since it's in the contract, it's not illegal.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So the sacrifice that you make when you're joining the post Office, well, I guess I should explain. When you join as a letter carrier, the first ninety days, they can fire you for any reason, and you're something called either a CCA or a PTF, and that means part time flexible or a city carrier assistant. You are only guaranteed four hours for showing up for work. You're not guaranteed to be scheduled. So if they don't like you, they just will schedule schedule you once a week for an unknown amount of time until you quit. And if you're in a busy place, then that just means that they're going to work you to death. So when you join the workforce, immediately you lose time with your family. You lose time with your loved ones and your friends, and I myself am so fortunate that all my loved ones have been beyond understanding. But every time I talk about it, I get asked the same thing, why don't you quit?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And the truth is, this job is awesome. I love it. I want to work it. I just want it to make sense and be livable. And I'm not gonna give up just because we haven't reached the point where it is. You know, if you walk away now, it doesn't get better. I'm sure someone would take my place. But it helps to have people stick around.
Speaker 2: That's actually a pretty comedy. I mean, this is one of the Amazon strategy right through from their warehouses. They intentionally want to cycle through people because the more the more new people you have continuously cycling through, the less organized and the less sort of like must knowledge, they have less you have to pay them, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. And so if you can just cause high turnover rates on purpose, that's the thing that a lot of these sort of business gohoule like Nightmare or factory people love in their workforces and makes everyone else's life just a living hell. But you know they're getting They're still getting paid.
Speaker 4: Right, and so I try and hold that in mind.
Speaker 3: When I've been overworked and I'm at the end of one of my major shifts because I had to carry part of another route because someone else called out, I really have to stop and think to myself that this other person who called out is just as exhausted as I am is probably going to get a letter of warning for calling out.
Speaker 4: That's another issue. They don't want you to use your leave.
Speaker 2: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 3: I'm going to file an unfair labor practice because they've been doing that a lot at my office as well.
Speaker 4: It reminds me a.
Speaker 3: Lot are issues of your recent episode. I think it was you about the nurses Union, the shift change episode. Their members are dealing with a lot of the same things, where the unions are so big that they become detached from the membership and we are finding out afterwards what our bargaining agreements are, what our strategy was. Everything's after the contract has been signed, and that's just not how unions were meant to be. They're meant to be from the bottom up, by the workers, for the workers. But it really does feel like it's like National is its own entity, and so I guess that would bring us to talking about the union and the future of the union.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's get into that.
Speaker 3: So I got to be careful here because Brian Renfro, he's our national leader of the union. He's been struggling with problems in his personal life, and I don't feel like I'm outsteeing him as its public knowledge, at least within the Post office.
Speaker 4: It's public knowledge.
Speaker 3: He's dealing with substance abuse, with alcoholism, and that's something that hits very close to home within my family, and I really don't want to demonize that he's struggling. But what I do want to say is when you're going through something like that and you've accepted a position on the national level like this, you really need to either step down or appoint someone to handle things in your place. As negotiations started over a year ago, he kind of went missing and it was later revealed that he was inpatient, which is fine, get your help, but there was nothing left, no notes left for us to strategize with, and our membership is just in the dark. And beyond that, the leadership has gone missing. It's it's very dark times for the NAOC.
Speaker 2: Well, and that that's also just sort of like an organizational problem, right like if if you're if your organization is set up in such a way that a small number of people being incapacitated means total paralysis and no one has any idea what's going on. That's just a bad way to run something. And especially it's a terrible way to run a union because the union's you know, power is supposed to be from from its organization and from the collective power of a large, large, organized group of people who can make decisions for themselves. And if it's if that's not happening and you get to the point where these decisions are being made by a very small number of people who can just sort of vanish, like that's that for whatever, And you know, literally whatever reason that is, right, it could just be you get sick. It could just be like whatever happens. That's just a terrible way to organize things. And I guess it's also like I want to make take it like like like a little tiny tangent to be like, if you're doing any organizing project, your goal is to organize yourself out of a job, Like you're like ideally, if you were in an organization, it should be able to function without you. There should Not having an indispensable person is a fiasco.
Speaker 5: Don't do that.
Speaker 2: This is true of both like your tiny local mutual aid group, as much as is true of your giant national union. So that this this has been this has been mea talking about the indispensable person don't have.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, that's kind of the funny thing about joining a union from an anarchist perspective. It gets a little funky how hierarchical they typically are, and the problems that we know we are going to face when you have a system that's built like a pyramid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: And so I was saying, we're in dark time, but there's such a bright future that I can see for us Branch nine of the NALC, and namely this individual Tyler Vasser, who when I had originally posted on Reddit asking for attention, he's the one that I thought would be great for this interview. His branch, Branch nine has passed a resolution to form an open bargaining strategy for contract negotiations, and I hope this sweeps the nation. We're not allowed to strike, as I've mentioned, and our leadership is so shy when it when it comes to activism or mobilization of the workforce, they don't want to touch the topic. The closest thing we have to it is a rally that is enough is Enough that's being held in Baltimore soon about the violence that's being done to postal workers. We're being robbed and we're being harassed, But even then we're missing a large chunk of the danger that is posed to postal workers, because yes, we're being robbed on the streets, but we're also being bullied and harassed inside of our work places by management, by the people who are supposed to empower us to do the job effectively.
Speaker 4: And so they don't want to touch the topic of a strike, I think, for fear of retaliation. But to me, pushing for the right to strike is a I'm not sure how to word this. It is such.
Speaker 3: An important part of the nilc's identity, the postal strike of nineteen seventy, that it seems silly to ignore it today and pretend like it didn't happen. So for the future, I think that activism is our key to success. I think that the old heads that lead our union come from a time where unions were frowned upon where activism was frowned upon. But I think that public opinion will be largely in our favor, and that public opinion can really put pressure on the legislative branch on Congress, and if we are transparent about our union, what we're asking for, the issues that we're facing, I think that the public would be on our side. If the people in America knew that management was falsifying time records or training records and interfering with workers' comps, claim and back pay, or that they're not paying the settlements that they've agreed to pay, that they're not scheduling arbitration sessions big or small, that they would care, and that they would join us in the streets. One major thing that happened, I think it was last year in the summer, we had a letter carrier, his name is Eugene Gates, who died in the Texas heat Jesus year because management told him not to take as many breaks or he would face discipline. These pressures that we face when when you're threatened that you will lose your job if you don't listen to us, you will push yourself to the point of exhaustion and further, Yeah, I think that the Post Office killed mister Gates and there wasn't as much outcry or.
Speaker 4: Or anger behind the movement.
Speaker 3: I often find myself thinking that while I don't have the answers, I do know that we need to care more. Yeah, and it's hard to care when you're exhausted. I acknowledge that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's two things about that. One, I mean, I don't and this is something I've gotten to with a lot of the sort of interviews that I've done on this show, is that I think a lot of very very basic jobs have labor conditions that are unimaginably appalling that people just don't know about. And I think people are very sympathetic too, once they actually understand what's happening in the kind of just horror show stuff that's happening in these workplaces. And the second thing I think that's sort of important in terms of getting people to you know, trying to actually do like mass mobilizations even just to get people to understand what's going on, is that I think a lot of people who are facing these kinds of conditions think that they're alone and think that it's just something that happens to them, or they've been in them for so long they think that it's sort of normal. And having a bunch of people go no, like a this happens and be it shouldn't happen is extraordinarily powerful because you know, like that that feeling of isolation is is the thing that all of that you know, you're that your bosses depend on to make sure that you know you you just keep going along with these conditions even though they are just objectively horrific. And I think any strategy that's not based on that is just not going to go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Right, And one of the strategies that I really want to push forward as I grow within the union. And don't get me wrong, I want to stay as steward. I think that educating our members and uh being part of the workforce is my place in the union. But what I want to push is for union solidarity. I want the NLC to hire organizers, specifically organizers to try and get the public mobilized and as well as the workforce, so that we can put pressure on Congress, so that we can show our bargaining teams that we support them, and so that we can have clearly defined bargaining terms. And yeah, I think that having solidarity between unions and reaching out to the other movements in a time where union support is higher than ever is such a clear path that we are just ignoring for whatever reason because people are afraid to speak out against the Post Office. And so I'm really not sure what's going to happen with our current contract, but I do know that the fight never ends, and that while we stand on the shoulders of giants, we have to pay respect to these giants by not giving up now. And I'm a relatively new employee and steward, but I'm really walking in the footsteps of some warriors. The branch president I mentioned, Ken Lurch has given me so much support and education and has done so much hard work over the years that I don't have to reinvent the wheel, none of us do. We just have to continue the struggle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think I think that's a great place to end you unless you have anything else that you want to make sure we get to.
Speaker 4: No, nothing, nothing on this topic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So how can how can people support you and postal workers just in general? If there's specific place you want them to go?
Speaker 4: In general?
Speaker 3: There is on the na LC site, which is just an ALC dot com. There is a section where you put in your address and it it'll give you the email addresses, the phone numbers for your representatives so that you can make some noise. Again, we're amazingly limited in what we can do, so there's not really anything that you can donate to to help us, including the letter carrier political fund.
Speaker 4: But yeah, just pay attention to us.
Speaker 3: Maybe leave a bottle of water out in your front door, says for the postal worker. You know, there's nothing better that you can do than talking about it. Word of mouth is the best advertisement.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, we will, we will. We will put that in the show notes. I help you all win, and I don't. I don't think I've ever said this genuinely in my life, but thank you for your service.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I never imagined myself to become a federal employee, and it is just as bad as I imagined. Yeah, so I do want to shout out Actually it's a little meta, I guess, but I do want to shout out some important episodes of it could happen here that.
Speaker 4: Hit me very closely. If I can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, go for it because a lot of the people listening will be postal workers that have been pointed in this direction. Please look at the May and Mar episodes, the Free burm the Burmese Revolution, and look at the work that me I believe you've done the same work as James with border kindness.
Speaker 4: Those are two topics that.
Speaker 3: I think y'all hit really well and that really touched me as a person. Sometimes I'll relisten to those episodes when I'm having a hard day just to remind myself that it's all the same. It's all the same fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it absolutely is, And I mean I think that's that's sort of the beauty. I mean, it's it's both the beauty and the horror of this world is that on the one hand, all of us are being crushed by the same sets of forces. But on the other hand, it means that whatever fight that you're taking is also a part of the larger fight forget all.
Speaker 4: Of us free.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, So just fight the burnout and stay in the fight.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is pennicket Apple. Here go make trouble for people who suck.
Speaker 7: Hi.
Speaker 5: Everyone, it's James. We just wanted to let you know that some new shit has come to light since since we recorded this. Specifically, a former staff of was A Your Kitchen who resigned who was of Palestinian descent wrote an op ed I guess in Mundweiss, which is a publication that covers is rather Palestine and the United States role there, and it's given us some more information about what's the tr kitchen that we didn't know when we first recorded this, and so we are going to address out at the end. So after the second ad break, Charles will go Sherean and I will come back and we gonna address some stuff that we found in that op ed. We will also link it in the description to this podcast.
Speaker 8: Yes, it's a really good article. I recommend you guys give it a full read. But yeah, we will be talking all about it at the end, so please listen to the whole episode. Hello, everybody, welcome to it could happen here today. I am joined by my illustrious colleague.
Speaker 5: James Hi James, Hi Scheren.
Speaker 8: And my now friend Charles McBride. Hi, Charles, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 5: Hi, no friends, Sharen.
Speaker 9: It's wonderful to be here and to know that you're a real person, not a yeah.
Speaker 10: Fun fact.
Speaker 8: I have met Charles in person, but I have not met James in person, and I think that's pretty funny.
Speaker 5: That's why I got colleague and Charles ki friends.
Speaker 10: Tech that don't read into that.
Speaker 6: Okay, we have.
Speaker 8: We're talking about World Central Kitchen and the tragedy that happened last week in which seven AID workers were killed. Both of these gentlemen have personal experience with the organization, so I thought it would be good to talk about. But James take it.
Speaker 5: Away, Okay, So yeah, I think I think we should maybe start off Charles, you and I've both seen World Central Kitchen in different places. Like my longest experience with them was starting in twenty eighteen in Tijuana, right when we were trying to feed people who were part of a caravan of migrants who had arrived right before the midterms, and what was a relatively normal thing became a really big political sort of football, which resulted in the people, remember like people being tear gassed in Mexico from inside the United States, people being held first in a baseball stadium and then in an old strip club, which was really gross. And they're being essentially no and goo presence at first and then Mutual Aid Presence and then World Central Kitchen were one of the first people to show up and cook for people, and like, at this point, there was a really dying of need for food. Like I have this vivid memory of three of my friends and I are riding in a bed of a pickup truck into this refugee camp and people just mobbing for food and water, and like people would get about, like not stamping on children once once we stopped, but like I was really worried there was going to be a crash. People were very hungry and very thirsty, and I had just had massive respect for people showing up and just being like, we are people who cook food, and what we're here to do is cook food and these people are hungry who were going to give it to them? And so I've always been admiring of their work since then. And I went to Childs, like what your sort of initial experience was with them, and if you could describe like sort of what sort of work you've seen them doing. Yeah, So.
Speaker 9: First experience that I had with World Central Kitchen was actually hands off. It was when my friends and I we created this thing four years ago called the Farm Project which is a food rescue organization. It basically finds food that's going to waste on farms and pays the wages of the truckers and the drivers to transport the food to food banks that are overworked. We sort of tagged in with World Central Kitchen in the beginning of COVID and talked with them a little bit, but there was never any official partnership. Some of their comms people gave us advice, some of their fundraising people gave us advice. First time I ever saw them in operation was coming into the Jimish train station week two of the Ukraine War, and they were the organization feeding all the refugees coming in a bunch of people in World Central Kitchen, and the thing I noticed was none of them were speaking English. They were all speaking Polish and Ukrainian or Russian. And I started to realize, this is an organization that knows how to mobilize a local population and a local response as a part of the thing. And that's something I really noticed when almost a year later, I flew from Ukraine to Turkey when a seven point five Magetude earthquake went through southeastern Turkey, Kardistan and I flew into Adanna and then basically linked up with the World's Central Kitchen people in the city of Osmania. And one of the things I noticed was how quickly they were able to get into Syria when nobody else was getting into Syria. And the reason is because it's just chefs. It's just using chefs in restaurants in places where they already exist. Every place in the world has chefs and restaurants. And Jose Andres has this amazing quote that I really like. He says, everyone already works for World Central Kitchen, they just don't know it yet. And I saw that in action. I saw all these kitchens transformed into you know, shelters and food distribution sites, and I got to work alongside their team. So my project, I was trying to fundraise for heaters and blankets to heat the AFAD tents in the affected regions in Kurdistan and in the Kurdish villages on the on the border with Syria, because there was it was still very cold at that time and there was not you know, adequate attention paid to that. Obviously, AFAD and its cronies is part of the whole reason that that incident was as bad as it was, but World Central Kitchen stepped up in a big way in Turkey, and I was really impressed with kind of their outfit. We were working out of the same distribution center, you know. I got to a company, Jose Andres on a couple of his deliveries, and we went in to Hate and walked around and saw the extent of the devastation and visited all the World Central Kitchen feeding sites, and it was just it was all Turkish people and Gurtish people who were there working from World Central Kitchen. They had been mobilized by this entity. So there's this decentralized element to World Central Kitchen that I found really impressive. It didn't feel like the top down, bureaucratic thing I kept throwing into in my humanitarian work with these big NGOs. It was much more grassroots, much more bottom up. So it gained a lot of respect for me in that sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's a really good point to make that they do have a different model. It allows them to be flexible. It's allowed them to be places where other people aren't like. I think a lot of people, perhaps like are not as familiar with the NGO world as you and I might be like, like, NGOs often present themselves in places where people need help, but it's like, you know, they have large office buildings and white land cruises, and they have one way of doing things and it's their way, and sometimes that doesn't work well. I can recount countless examples of this, right, NGOs that exist to do things in a certain way and don't adapt to a local situation or culture. And that's something the World's Central Kitchen have done really well in my experience, all over the world.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they graft themselves on to a local response and every everywhere that they go, it takes on the local flavor. And I think it's that's why this happened, is because they inserted themselves into a highly volatile situation and because they are so decentralized, and because they are so on the ground, they also exposed themselves to the realities of what Palestinians have been facing in Gaza and lost members of their team, you know as a result. And I think that is part of that is there's a lot of people who won't even go into Gaza, you know, if they had the opportunity, like you said, these big NGOs, I think last time I was on the on the podcast Sharen, I talked about, you know, seeing these big UN advertisements in the Copenhagen airport saying save Ukrainian children when I first when I was going over there, and then as soon as I got there, I mean, the minute you go east to Leviv, You're not going to see a UN truck anywhere. And it was it was that way for nine months, you know. In Yeah, it was just a bunch of people with like brand new white Land Cruise or Pratos, sipping cocktails and Leviv while subcontracting with actual humanitarians working closer to the front line. World Central Kitchen was not that way. They were all the way out, all the way on the east. Everywhere I went there was World Central Kitchen cars, even deep into Donyetsk, And that was really impressive. It was so it felt antithetical to the whole nonprofit industrial complex model that I'd become familiar with, and I was impressed by that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So perhaps we should to speak about exactly what they were doing in Ghaz because I think people are practical a little confused. There's been a lot of like misinformation from all kinds of angles about what they were doing in Gaza, So do you have a good handle on that.
Speaker 9: I mean, World Central Kitchen positioned itself. They engage in slightly more activist humanitarianism than most organizations, which is why I mean jose Andres went big on Ukraine. He was there, he brought the whole team. I mean, they put they dedicated so many resources to Ukraine, and for him it was unequivocal. Ukrainians are the good guys, Russians are the bad guys. We're helping the victims of this conflict, and you know, we're on the side of the angels in this and that was the positioning, and I think it was a bit of a wake up call when after October seventh he did the same thing in Israel and went and you know, gave food to the to the to the different Kibut seam that were affected by the October seventh attacks, and at first very much positioned himself as like, we're here to help relieve the affect at israelis which again for like polite liberals in the humanitarian world. You know, Israel Ukraine both aligned with Western interests, Western values theoretically, and I think and then you know, suddenly the war focus goes from what happened to the kibbut seem to what's happening in Gaza. And so they went to Egypt and they started helping the refugees, and then they tried to get into Gaza. Then they did get into Gaza and they set up, you know, an effective system of the food aid. And I started to notice while that was happening that the perspectives of a lot of the people that I was working with in the aid community were starting to shift on this whole thing. People who didn't have a political interest in supporting the Palestinians and were just kind of supporting Israel because of the default. When they actually went to Gaza, they started to really change their tune.
Speaker 5: And you see this.
Speaker 9: A little bit with Jose Andres as well. I think Jose Andres was, yeah, I mean this in terms of his personal views on Israel, they seem to have very clearly evolved. You can see very soon after October seventh, he is calling out the Spanish Prime Minister on calling what's happening in Palestine and genocide. He's saying Israel has the rights to defend itself, and then he spends a bunch of time in Gaza, and now he's greeting everyone in Arabic, and then this thing happens, and he immediately points the finger at ISRAELI says, you guys targeted my team, you killed them deliberately, and you made sure the job was finished, and that is just so reproachable. And in doing so, he became one of the only really big celebrity voices to make what appeared to be something of a one to eighty turn on that conflict. And pretty much everyone that I've worked with in the humanitarian or journalism space has also done the same thing in regard to Gaza. I'd say most people thought my views on this were too extreme after October seventh, when I began immediately criticizing Israel, and now the ones who have actually been there pretty much on equivocally say they're the bad actor in this region. And I think you saw that shift happen in real time with sort of the attitude that World Central Kitchen took to Gaza. All that stuff is available from public statements. I don't want to share private sentiments that have been shared with me by members of World Central Kitchen staff. Those are their own and they don't represent the organization. But I think even just watching the yo yo of Jose Andres's perspective on this change has been enlightening.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think, like it's easy to be critical of someone for having opinions which like have not aided well, right, Like, and sometimes that's okay sometimes some since we need to do that, sometimes people say shit which is unforgivable. But like I think in this instance, like we can be critical at a point, but I don't think now it's a time for that. Like I think now it's a time for like everyone who wants the starving and killing of innocent people in Gaza to stop is on our side right now, and we need to welcome that. And like there are a lot of people in this country right who we need to do that same one eighty and giving examples of people doing that is good, like they and there are a lot of people who don't see themselves when they see dead people in Gaza, and that's a problem, right, And that's some shit that they need to examine, and because there's a lot of bigotry there. But if they see themselves in those aid workers, or they see themselves in Jose Andres, and look fucking when I saw the bodies of those aid workers, right, you have a tall, skinny British guy with long hair in a plate carrier with a badge on like that, That's what I look like to ninety nine percent of the world, and it's hard not to feel like, oh shit, like that could be me, and and I have well, I feel like I have a lot of empathy for people in guys that are friends in guars that we speak to them on the podcast sharing and I spoke to them last week. But whatever it takes for those people to change their opinions right now is what we need, and we can we can dissect how we got here later, but like every minute that this continues, more innocent people die. And if we can stop this one minute sooner than there's an important life that we can save. And I think it's really important to focus on where we are, not like how how we got here right now, if that makes sense.
Speaker 8: As far as global conflicts go. I believe it's like two hundred and twenty four AID workers have died in Gaza, which is not a normal number in any kind of war. So that's according to the UN.
Speaker 5: Yeah, one hundred journalists, right like every there is one person I can think of who has worked with in Gaza who is still alive. Everyone I know has lost family members, and that that's just my tiny slice, you know, and by no means as affected by this as most people. But yeah, that three times as many children have died since October in Gaza as are normally killed in conflicts in a year worldwide. It's fucking horrific. And yeah, we will do well to put aside our differences and make it stop, I think.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I agree, opposition to genocide and wanting to end it should be a very big tent and the fact that some people on the Internet are trying to make it a smaller one doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, it promotes infighting, which is not helpful right now. Yeah, it is helpful to not call it a war and continue calling a genocide because that's what it is. So yeah, just continuing to change all the rhetoric around this genocide I think is important. This is also not the first time that Israel has directly targeted aid workers that are clearly labeled as aid workers. In two thousand and six and Lebanon, Israel struck a red Cross ambulance right in the center of the logo. Right on top of the truck there was or the van was a red cross, a clear red cross, and it struck right in the center. I think that image is now going around again from two thousand and six.
Speaker 10: Again.
Speaker 8: It's not the first time that Israel has directly targeted AID workers, and I think it's really appalling seeing leadership in Israel just kind of apologize half hardly, being like this was a mistake, and then they just move on. It's if this was the red line for people. I one, I find that frustrating, But if it's finally the red line for people, I just hope it continues and people don't let it go.
Speaker 5: That story that was absolutely fucking heartbreaking, right of that young girl who was trapped in her car and she called the ambulance and the ambulance came and they bombed the ambulance right and they killed her. And they called the ambulance drivers like those two ambulance drivers were Palestinian. They were working for the Palestinian Red Crest and they deserve every bit as much outrage as the words Central Kitchen people do what they did with every bit as admirable, but like, if this is what it takes for people to change, then like I hope that they will also acknowledge that everything else that happened before was an a trustee too, talking of like a trustees, we have an advertising break now.
Speaker 10: That was good James, good job, and we're back.
Speaker 8: Charles. You recently got some online attention for a video that you posted that was highlighting the vast imbalance of attention that the targeted assassination of the AID workers got in comparison to the murder and genocide of Palestinians. Specifically, people were talking about how there was also a Palestinian driver who was murdered along with the AID workers and his name was not getting mentioned. His name is safe, Isam Abudaha. And just a reminder of how frustrating it is that this had to be the red line for people. There are over thirty three thousand people in Gaza who have been murdered, nearly half of which are children. There are probably thousands more who are trapped under the rubble, and other thousands that are just unaccounted for because of the bobbing of hospitals and the lack of records. So to have the killing of six aid workers be a red line for people. That's what I mean by saying it's frustrating because it is a tragedy, but tragedy has been taking place for the past six months and also the past seventy six years. So yes, the video that Charles made gossa well deserved attention, and I'd love for you to talk about it a little bit.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So this was like a strange convergence of things for me because I had been keeping up with the WCK team as they went into Gaza. I'd actually even been in conversations with some of them about potentially going there, but I hadn't. I mean, like these were just buddies from a humanitarian trip. I mean, you know, like James probably knows, you make friends really fast when you're connected, when you're in these sorts of scenarios, and you know, I had, I made friendships while I was in Turkey that I've maintained, and but then my my Palestinian advocacy was separate. You know, I'm over here educating and everything. And then suddenly there's this converse jints of like former co workers on this team dying and then it being the fault of this regime that I've spent the last six months trying to educate people on why it's bad. And I posted a video which was my tribute to the fallen WCK employees, who were very close friends of people that I got really close to on that project, and it was a tribute to them and also a way of pointing out how their martyrdom has been has overshadowed the martyrdom of so many Palestinians who will never get the kind of press and attention that they did, and I think it achieved that effect. The video went very, very viral. It's exceeded a million views on TikTok, it's around a quarter a million on Instagram, and more than that on the accounts that have reposted and shared it, sometimes without the context that I am not a World Central Kitchen employee, nor do I represent the opinions of the organization. And one of the things that I think made that story go viral is that I did shift the attention to I said, this is a genocide, and I said, as grieved as I am at the loss of these people that I have this connection with, I do want to point out that it is overshadowing the horrendous loss of life of Palestinians, and I think that resonated with a lot of people. It also resonated with my former my friends at w CK, who reached out to say, we appreciate you using your platform to talk about this, especially considering the fact that w CK employees do not typically are not really supposed to be making statements online about this, so they have a little more leeway with that. Concerning the fact that the head of the organization has explicitly now condemned Israel for this strike, but I've had some very interesting conversations with friends of mine that either still work or connected to the organization. And that's a slightly complicated thing because World Central Kitchen subcontracts with so many different people, So at any given point, there are people who are connected to World Central Kitchen who are not representatives of the organization or technically employees. So you know, you can't say definitively this is what the majority of people in WCK feel about Gaza or Israel or anything. You know, different people have different opinions about that whole situation.
Speaker 5: I think what you tried to do was obviously not to represent them, and it would be disingenuous any want to suggest you did, but the internet does that. I want to talk about one more, talking of disindienuous things on the Internet, I guess there was this thing that went around immediately in the aftermath of the photos coming out of the different people's corpses that like it seemed to be mostly like tankies or perhaps people who still believe that they can generate revenue from views on Twitter, saying that like, because these people had a security team, the security team was somehow spies and the evidence they're working phase are right, and you can speak to your experienced childis like, I've worked with security teams and seen people working with security teams all over the fucking world because war is dangerous and you have the thing that everyone needs.
Speaker 9: If you have the misfortune of being a veteran of the global War on Terror, you have a very few outlets for your skill set. One of those is providing security for humanitarian actors and journalists, and that is one of the most pro social applications of your skill set.
Speaker 6: Yeah, those things to do with those skills, believe me, right.
Speaker 9: So I have encountered a lot of people in my time in Ukraine and elsewhere who have decided to turn their sort of military intelligence background experience into you know, well, okay, I'm good at this. I'm familiar with these types of scenarios. And if there's one thing I'm decent at, it's well, at least trying to keep people safe and give them intelligence. And that is a that's never a guarantee. But in all the people I've met who actually are legit, you know, security consultants or or just veterans who have applied their skills towards a pro social humanitarian purpose are pretty good guys. And while I'm sure you know there are some of them who are connected to various you are still connected to sort of the intelligence services of their various countries. I think that's definitely a possibility. A lot of them are not. They're just veterans who are trying to help and they this is a way that they can make a living and while doing something that has a low moral hazard.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I.
Speaker 9: Dismissed that stuff. There's a lot of conspiracies. The problem is, I mean, in the vacuum of the sort of post manufacturing consent world where none of us truyus the Western liberal media. A lot of people trust stuff that's even dumber, including just like takes on the Internet that somebody pulled out of their ass. And a lot of it is if you have set yourself up against everything that comes out of the West, then every everything that looks like a fingerprint of an intelligence agency or anything is going to ring your alarm bells, obviously, you know, James. I feel like Ukraine is a great example of this. The fact that the United States supports Ukraine means that Ukraine must be the villain, and that the entire thing must be a CIA SIOP and their spies everywhere. And I'm a spy for going to Ukraine and helping grandmothers get their insulin. All of those things have been said about Ukraine, about me, about you know that sort of thing, and we know it, we know it's not true.
Speaker 5: It's just that people.
Speaker 9: I mean, these, as far as I know, these were guys who were security consultants, very similar to I work with a lot of British veterans of the Global War on tear, basically on various different projects, of it having to do with PTSD, others having to do with environmental conservation. Some of whom have worked in Palestine and been in the West Bank. And I think Brits by and large have a more sane perspective on Palestine than people in the US too. I've just noticed that they are like fewer ultra Zionist Brits than Americans.
Speaker 5: I think our politics is less dominated by that perspective. There are ultra zion As British people, but yeah, it's also just I think a little bit harder to live a life in Britain where you don't know, it's not Palestinian people, Arab people and and Muslim people, right, and that complete demonization and dehumanization of Muslim people that the Western media did for twenty years to manufacture consent for war that wasn't about weapons of master attraction or women in Afghanistan. It doesn't stick the landing quite so well when like, you have friends and you can kind of see through the nonsense. Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, also I think the percent of like evangelical Christians was probably much less.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No one's bringing a fucking red cow in England to take it to this third temple that I know of.
Speaker 9: That was one of the things I was going to point out is I don't think you even have to know, like to be a Zionist, you don't even have to know Jewish people in the US. I was raised an ultra Zionist without knowing a single Jewish family because I came from an evangelical community in South Carolina that was very Christo nationalist, very kind of culturally dispensationalist. Even though my family wasn't dispensationalist. It was all about in times, you support Israel because that's where you know, that's where Jesus is going to come back. So yeah, I remember, I mean I I we even had like fake Passover ceremonies in our church. God, this is bringing up some interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, into the trima bugs.
Speaker 9: But truly, I mean one of my one of my early sort of I would say I was I was completely anti Zionist before I was even a leftist. And part of that reason was because I got to know a Palestinian friend in Washington, d C. While sharing a desk with an Israeli conservative and a liberal Zionist.
Speaker 8: Wow that is and yeah, joke like these people walk into a bar, Yeah, trio of.
Speaker 9: People, So I like I think I had kind of I got pilled on Palestine. Part of it was because like I was history major in college, so I learned historiography. I just never applied historiography to the Israel Palestine conflict. And then having these two voices in my ear while like living and working in DC, I was like, oh, I need to actually look into this, and so yeah, I mean I would say even before I was like a leftist, I was down on Israel. I figured they were not the good guys. And then I think reading The Fateful Triangle by nome Chrompsky really solidified that. And uh, obviously Ilan Pope kind of was the nail on the coffin for me. So yeah, and speaking of like you know what happens in DC, and you know, America's opinions on the Middle East, most of them are dogshit opinions because most people do not have some sort of strong point of reference to this zone. But it goes back to what we were saying about how being against genocides should be a very big tent and we should resist efforts to make it smaller. Because I'm reading through the Hundred Years War in Palestine right now Rashid Khaldi, and one of the things that he said is how the war is fought in the United States in Congress because we hold the keys. So as much as it's as painful as it is to try and change the minds of dumb Americans with no geopolitical understanding, it's absolutely essential to holding Israel to account. It is actually one of the best things that you can do. And when someone who has the international appeal of Chef jose Andres points the finger at Israel and said, you killed my employees deliberately and you're starving Gazans, that goes a long way towards shifting the opinions of the people who actually hold the keys to everything Israel does.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's a very good point, and like that's what we need to do, right And I like to stop them getting bombs to kill people, not argue you on Twitter or you know, Instagram or what have you. Like, we need to make the killing stop. I wonder, like you spoke at Childs but knowing people I know, Central Kitchen are no longer working in Gaza for the time being. From when is that still correct?
Speaker 9: They they've publicly announced that they're scaling back their efforts. Yes, I'm not sure if they're going to totally close down their operation. I think right now they're probably trying to reconsider their security protocols before making another step.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I don't really know what as there are things, of course, but like they did attempt to deconflict I guess, and they were using a road which is designated for the use that they were using it for, and.
Speaker 8: Israel knew where they were, Like it's they have to report where they are. So, I mean, it would be fucking crazy if Israel attacked Abergers again right now, but also it's Israel. I mean, I've done crazier things.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but can we like dwell on that for a second. Like Israel constantly boasts about its ISR capabilities mm HM in ISR's intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance. So like Israel is constantly reassuring people that it is doing everything it can to avoid civilian casualties, it talks about its chain of command for approval. And in light of that, none of the things that they've said about this make any sense whatsoever, because if if they're protocols, because they're either, it's like they can't decide what they're trying to gaslight the world into believing every claim that they're making is muddling what they're trying to get the world to believe about them, and it just gives everyone the distinct impression that they're recklessly, incompetent, lying, evil, or potentially all three.
Speaker 5: Right, even if you look, I was because I don't know why this is the thing that I do. I was looking at like trying to work out what munition Israel hood used, right to destroy those vehicles, And Israel has they have a number of different sort of musus that they could have used. But one of the things that they do in the US does it too, but it's a bigger thing with Israel is if they have inert or low yield health fire ammunitions sort of guided munitions at a five from a helicopter or drone, and they use them to do a thing that they call roof knocking, right, which sounds maybe like you're like knocking on someone's ref What you're doing is sending a missile through somebody's roof, and that is the means by which you alert them to evacuate the building because you planning a larger strike that in itself. Yeah, we have this great ISR capability and what do we do? We launch missiles into the homes of civilians and then hopefully they will run away and fear for their lives so that more of them don't die when we blow up that block ten minutes later. Like, it's just you know, you have to look at what's happening, not what's being said. I guess, but.
Speaker 9: No, there they're absolutely allergic to accountability. And I think you can see just how far they've been able. They're scrambling now because they've been able to get away with so much for so long, and their excuses are falling apart because they're alternatively depicting themselves as a highly disciplined and professional, you know, army, or that they're just making mistakes because it's war and that people should get off their back because no one holds anyone else at the same standard that they hold Israel.
Speaker 8: It.
Speaker 9: So I was like, which is it? Like, what are you trying to get the world to believe? Are you either this like crack discipline unit with a very sophisticated chain of command in an AI software that you're really proud of for targeting, or are you is this the fog of war and you're just making mistakes and everyone makes mistakes and we should get off your back for it because you can't.
Speaker 5: Have it both ways.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the civilian casualties are too high for you to have it both ways. So either you are making mistakes and too many people are getting killed and you're violating the laws of rule, or you're doing it deliberately, which is worse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, people can make up their in minds.
Speaker 6: I guess Charles.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much for joining us today. I really respect all the work you do and I am grateful that you have shared your voice with our audience once again. Where can people find you on the internet if you want to be found, thank.
Speaker 5: You, Shran.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you can find me pretty much everywhere except Twitter with Charles McBride and that's McBride with a why rather than an I. That's on substack, Instagram, TikTok, and my website Charles McBride dot com will be live at this point nice when this episode drops. So if you want to support the humanitarian work I've been involved in in Ukraine, you can support Mission Harkive on Instagram. It's mission dot harkive and their website is missionharkive dot com. And if you're looking for an org that is already working in Gaza to provide life saving aid in the wake of you know, unrubbing gone. World Central Kitchen now pulling out an era pulling out. Global Empowerment Mission is still there and still fulfilling a lot of the same functions that those organizations were doing.
Speaker 10: Thank you so much, Charles.
Speaker 8: Scheren and James from the future here giving you an update about the article that we mentioned at the top of the episode. So the title itself is I resign from World Central Kitchen because they refuse to tell the truth about the Israeli genocide and Gaza. The ex staffer is Ramsey t. The article itself has some really damning information about WCK, so we're going to get into it. He says, for months, World Central Kitchen leadership censored material coming out of its Gaza operation and refused to honor staff concerns about their work there. And even though they're finally taking a stand after its personnel have been murdered, it is much too late. So he resigned in early March of this year, and at the time he was the only staff member of Palestinian descent at WCK. And there is an amendment. There, he says that while WCK hired many Palestinian contractors in Gaza in Egypt, he was the only Palestinian with staff status following the departure of one other longtime employee, and he resigned in protest of the extensive unexplained censorship regarding Gaza At the organization. They talk about how in December seventh of last year, they sent a letter to wck's executive team, and that letter called for WCK to join other regionally active NGOs in calling for a ceasefire and condemning his reels blockade, as well as conforming its language and coverage of Gaza to the standard that was stepped by the coverage of Ukraine, as well as stopping meal service in Israel. It got fourty three signatures, and the WCK executive team declined to meet up with the people that signed the letter, and they failed to respond to any inquiries, and they also actively still served the meals in Israel while the second day of the ICJ Genocide hearing was happening in January.
Speaker 5: There's one paragraph that I want to diale as well, just because I think it's very crucial when we're discussing the fact that these people died working for a Ceter kitchen. And that's this paragraph that I would pick up halfway through. In another instance, a video of a WCK kitchen caught in an IDF bombing was put on hold entirely. It appears this incident, as well as the fact that WCK personnel were board a UN convoy that was bombed, have not been mentioned anywhere externally. Like, I think that's a real crucial getting off point. You can have shit politics, but if you're not saying stuff when your people are getting bombed, like until they're getting killed, A, I don't know what's wrong with you, and B if you didn't change things that, I don't know they didn't change things, right, that's not detailed here, but like you have to change things if your people are being bombed, Like if I'm working somewhere where that's a likelihood, you know, like if if we get bombed once and we're lucky enough to be okay, we do not continue doing the same shit. And I'm not entirely sure that they did. I don't want to for a moment suggest that like the people who died were in like complicit right, that's not what I'm saying. It's not what you're in saying. I very much understand the desire to go to places where dangerous things are happening and help the people who did nothing to deserve this, and I think the people who did that deserve are an ending gratitude and respect. I'm not for a minute saying that that's not true. I'm saying that this organization needs to really think about how it does shit if it wants to continue operating.
Speaker 8: And yeah, the blame is on the executives of this organization. The article also talks about how the character of w CK's relief response to Gaza. It was revealed very early on after October seventh the chief communications officer, Linda Roth. She had put out a statement without the communications team's input, which is apparently breaking precedent, and it was about how Hamas attacked Israel with no mention of the Palestinian lives that were lost. And then three days later, Jose Andres posted a video to w CK's Instagram where he only makes reference to the October seventh attack, with no mention of the climbing Palestine death till at the time or the blockades and then on social media, Charles mentioned this of the episode. On October sixteenth, he tweeted at the Spanish Prime Minister to be removed for her protest of the Israeli tactics, and at the same time, WCK continued to work closely with the IDF over the course of the relief response. The initial statement as well as Andre's video, were decisions that were made by leadership against the concerns of a WCK personnel. There's this paragraph that I want to read just verbatim. Much of the work in a genocide is not pulling the trigger, but instead minimizing and denying that a genocide is going on. Genocide is a phenomenon of gradual boundary pushing. Each increment must be accepted by the parties with agency for the next to be reached. Under the direction of CEO Aaron Gore, Linda Roth, and quote Chief Feeding Officer Jose Andres, World Central Kitchen recklessly endangered its personnel, selflessly exploited the situation for its own benefit, and actively participated in the normalization of an ongoing genocide.
Speaker 5: I think what I want to say more broadly here it's my stunts. I guess maybe other people sharre it, man, they don't. This situation is not going to be solved by NGOs, and it certainly not going to be solved by NGOs which have this very explicitly neoliberal political agenda. Right, Like, at best they can plug a hole in a leaky bucket, and it's good when they do that. Right, if one less person starves, that's good. It doesn't mean they don't have to be perfect to help, but they don't get to be exemptive from criticism because they're helping, right, Like World's Central Kitchen didn't want to help us at the border in Hucumber. My friends reached out. They didn't want to do that. Yeah, I don't think you should expect endios to share your your radical politics. It doesn't mean that they can't do harm reduction, and it doesn't mean that when they are doing harm reduction, they sometimes need your money, and in the such situations where this is happening, you should give it to them if you can't help more directly. Right, But like you know, if we look at their communications, we do see them calling for a cease fire, which is about what you can expect from an NGO, you know, we actually it appears that we see Hosse Andrews calling for a ceasefire, and we see World Central Kitchen saying Jsse andrew is for a ceasefire, which I don't quite know why they don't just say we are calling for a ceasefire. They didn't sign that document with the other rango. It's like that. I don't know if they're trying to play like have it both ways. I don't know. I don't I'm not privy to those conversations. Right, they didn't sort of wholeheartedly say this is the genocide but they have to get permission for Israel to do stuff. I mean, now they're saying it, but after the Trustee that happened, the whole world is watching, right, Not that the whole world shouldn't have been watching from the start, but I don't think enos are ever going to be you know, it's radical that there's people on the internet want them for They're also they're doing stuff and people on the internet aren't, so you know, we have to respect that. And I don't want any of this to take away from the fact that some people from all over the world, right from Europe, from Australia, from the United States, have died feeding people who need to be fed, because that's the most any of us can give, is our lives, right, And so I don't for a minute want any of this to detract from the sacrifice they made. No should their sacrifice be held in any higher regard than the sacrifice made by hundreds, if not thousands of Palestinian aid workers, right, people working for the Palestinian re Crescent, a Palestinian even the Palestinian people working for International NGOs right, or the United Nations people who have been killed, right, None of the sacrifices it should be ignored or ound mind because if people are certainly given a lot more than I have, I don't have any right to say that. I think, yeah, this organ it changes communications, right. I think they've obviously realized that there is no nicely nicely about this, like you have to call a spade a space when it comes to what's happening in Gaza, which is a deliberate and targeted campt to kill civilians, thousands and tens of thousands of children even And I think until we move the conversation onto where that is being called by its name, that is to say, genocide, then I don't think we'll see that the reactions that we need, and I think they appear to have reflected on that. I wish they've got there sooner, but they're there now, and I'm sorry that it took these people's lives to get there. But what I see from them is what I see from other NGOs. It's not they're not certainly not uniquely bad. In fact, they are better than very many indios. And they were there when other people weren't, and they're delivering food when other people weren't, So I don't want, I don't want to distract from that. But yeah, they're this messaging, this internal conduct, like there's somebody these internal messages, they are traveling and like again, it's just what i'd expect from any other NGO, whereas I've seen these guys do things in many ways sort of better than other angios, but none if that messaging takes away from these people giving their lives, and I don't want to suggest that.
Speaker 8: I think the most telling thing is that they're making the biases of their the top people that work for this company very evident. And the article goes into Linda Roth's background and her pro Israeli stances in the past, and the fact that in all the outwardly facing materials about Gaza, it was very typical to change the word siege to conflict or to question the blockades. It talks about how the people at the very top their biases just seeped through and the people that were actually working for the organization were in disagreement with this. I think the last thing I want to read from this article just really highlights that WCK did not protect the people that worked for them. It says, save the possibility of genuine and competence, the WCK leadership's decisions were not made to maintain neutrality, did not increase effectiveness, and as April first demonstrated, did not protect personnel. The leadership's failure to honestly portray the dire reality in Gaza and lack of an attempt to influence the genocide in Gaza via its status and close ties to the Bien administration means that they bear responsibility for its outcomes. Let no one say they did everything they could. And this is obviously talking about the leadership versus the personnel. And then he goes on to close the article saying that his experience is one experience and when he resigned there was a palpable, widespread atmosphere of disappointment among the staff and employees. And he ends with just calling on current and former WCK employees, contractors, and volunteers to publicly share their stories as well in order to force accountability and change.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, if you work for a Central Kitchen, you can message us hate to hear your stories that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, we wanted to make sure that this perspective was shared. And again the article will be in the description, so please give it a good read. But yeah, that is the episode. Thanks for listening, Three pals done.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to It could Happen here a podcast about things falling apart. And when things fall apart, one of the things that happens is you get a bunch of a lot of opportunities for a lot of weird little guys, a lot of a lot of Nazis and other kinds of scums start, you know, sliding up to the surface in the hopes that they can get some of the sweet, sweet oxygen of collapse. And that's why we've brought onto the program and are bringing into the network our good friend Molly Conger for a little recurrence series. I like to call look who's stalking? That was the That was the stocking joke. I'm wanted to open the episode with my own journeys.
Speaker 11: I'm not stalking anyone. I would never do that. That is a crime. This is reporting.
Speaker 1: It is reporting, and the line between reporting and stalking always.
Speaker 11: Clear, you know. I think it's it's on the publication. Yeah, yeah, so, Robert, Today's topic is such a perfect mash up of so many of my favorite things. It couldn't be more my speed unless this whole story took place on a Wiener dog ranch.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 11: This story has city council meetings that got rowdy. It has unite the right attendee getting docks. It has the internal calms of a hate group getting leaked. It has regular ass people putting their foot down about hate in their town. It is a year's long arc of one man's journey from fucking around to finding out his evolution, from chanting you will not replace us to getting replaced at the ballot box. This is the story of Enid, Oklahoma, Ward one City Commissioner Judson Gannon Blevins.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, ah, we're going back to my old home.
Speaker 11: That's why you spent some time in Oklahoma as a kid. So jud Levins was raised in the town of en in Oklahoma, and the listener, you'd be forgiven for thinking this is the story of a small town. And I'll be honest, I did. I'd never heard of Enid, but you grew up in the area. Do you have any sort of pre existing notions of gar Field County? Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Enid was like a bigger play. I grew up in Ida Bell, which was really out in the sticks, so kind of everywhere was more civilization than Ida Bell, but Enid certainly was, although not much. No one would no one would accuse it of much civilization.
Speaker 11: It is apparently the ninth largest city in Oklahoma, which was surprising to me. It's an hour and a half outside of Oklahoma City, seventy six percent white, sixty percent Republican, and according to a twenty twenty one article on Yahoo News that reads like it was written by an intoxicated chatbot, it is ranked one of the most conservative cities in the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that all scans for Enid, Jared, Now that scans for a lot of cities in Oklahoma, mind you.
Speaker 11: Right, They could have named any of them. Yeah, but it has a population of about fifty thousand, which is actually the same size as Charlottesville, my hometown and a city that Johnson Blevens happened to visit. In the summer of twenty seventeen eighteen, the former US Marine moved back to his hometown to work at his father's roofing business. In twenty nineteen, he was publicly identified as a regional leader in a white supremacist organization, and in twenty twenty two he announced he was running for office.
Speaker 1: I mean that all that's a very Oklahoma politician route. It's also like a not a white like, from from roofing to white supremacy, not a wildly uncommon route for people to take in Oklahoma.
Speaker 11: Now he's still doing both.
Speaker 5: Oh good.
Speaker 1: I mean, you never want to give up on your passion for roofing. That would have made me sad.
Speaker 11: Although some of his supporters have pointed out that he hires lots of non white people to do manual labor, so how could he be racist?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you don't want to get up on those roofs yourself. That's dangerous, Czarr. Yeah, it's hot out, Yeah, this is all pretty Oklahoma so far.
Speaker 11: On February fourteenth, twenty twenty three, jud Levins narrowly won a seat on the Eden City Council, defeating the incumbent by just thirty six votes. His past ties the now defunct white supremacist group Europa were no secret. Of course, by twenty twenty three, Identity Europa didn't exist anymore. So I don't blame you if you don't have a clear memory of exactly what kind of Nazi group they were. And I want to make it very clear. I don't want time, distance and white polo shirts to soften this. Identity Europa was a neo Nazi organization.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. They were also just like the most infiltrated group of the Trump era. Like of all the Nazi orgs in the Trump era, I feel like they were the one where every week someone else got inside their coms.
Speaker 11: Well, I guess Bluvin's maybe part to blame for that as the regional coordinator.
Speaker 1: Oh good, so he was doing a great job.
Speaker 11: But Identity Europa was modeled after the far right French identitarian movement and sought the creation of a white ethno state. You will not replace us, chance you remember from Unite the Right were actually popularized by Identity Europa at their rallies earlier that year, and, according to testimony from a former girlfriend, one time Identity Euroopa leader Elliot Klein considered himself quote an unironic exterminationist, and he had violent fantasies about killing Jewish people himself. So it's not just guys hanging out right.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 11: Identity Europa was founded in twenty sixteen by Nathan Dimigo, a former marine who went to prison after drunkenly pulling a gun on a cab driver for quote looking iraqi.
Speaker 1: Well that gets at least he's honest.
Speaker 11: But while he was doing his time, he read David Duke's autobiography.
Speaker 1: Oh and he.
Speaker 11: Had an awakening, right, he read My Awakening and he had an awakening in prison. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, you go to prison for a hay crime, you read a little David Duke, you get some ideas.
Speaker 1: Man, it it's not a good book. Like that's my thing about having David Duke's autobiography be like your life changing event, is it? It's not even a good book, right, which I guess neither was mind comp but I feel like everyone's lying about that one.
Speaker 11: According to some this is so off the beaten path here, this is I have to say it. According to some payments that came out in a divorce proceeding, David Duke made payments to Kevin Strome for ghostwriting it. Kevin Strom is the pedophile who actually said that thing that people think full terror said about the Jews.
Speaker 1: Oh cool, yeah great.
Speaker 11: So just something to think about when you're reading David Duke's autobiography in prison.
Speaker 1: I guess, I mean, I guess I had wondered what happens to pedophiles, like when they're back out in the world, like, how do.
Speaker 11: Your wife now? No that was before that was yeah, no, he's got a kid now, so.
Speaker 1: Oh what, No, he shouldn't do that. Okay, great, not a loved to live near a school. But I guess they can't stop you from procreating. We should evaluate some of that. I don't know.
Speaker 11: Anyway, back to our friend Nate, right, So, Nathan Amigo gets out of prison, makes his own hate group. You may also remember him as the guy who bravely beat the shit out of a ninety five pound woman at the rally in Berkeley in April of twenty seventeen. Oh yeah, and they memed the hell out of that. They squeezed it for all it was worth. That they used that image of him beating that woman in the street for promotion and recruitment. Dimigo himself touted a spike in membership applications, which he attributed to the popularity of the video. Identity Europa was heavily involved in the Summer of Hate, that rash of violent white supremacist rallies across the country in twenty seventeen. They were instrumental in planning as Unite the Right rally.
Speaker 6: But when the.
Speaker 11: Group's discord server was leaked in March of twenty nineteen and published in full by Unicorn Riot, their leader at the time, Patrick Casey, quickly announced a rebrand, Identity Europa is no more. They were the American Identity Movement now, much to the displeasure of the American Indian Movement, whose acronym they stole. But the rebrand was not successful and the group died out completely in twenty twenty, and Casey tried to pretend the rebrand wasn't just an attempt to escape the fallout of the leak, but it really was the leak that killed Identity Europa. At least seven active duty military members were identified in the league. A school resource officer at a high school in Virginia was suspended, a Minnesota National Guardsman was recalled from basic training. So jud Levins was just one of dozens of members of the group to be identified in those chatlogs. The work of anti fascist researchers who identified Blevins and the leak chats was corroborated and published in an article on right wing Watch by Jared Hult within weeks, and it's about as solid as an idea as you could hope for from a chatlog, or, depending on your position, the kind of idea you really don't want. A user called Conway was Identity Europa's regional coordinator for Oklahoma. He recruited and vetted new members, organized outings for banner drops and social events, and frequently posted pictures of the white supremacist propaganda he'd been putting up, encouraging others to do the same, and offering tips on how to create more effective visuals for the group's online accounts. In over eleven hundred posts over a nearly two year period, he left a lot of clues. He posted a link to an article in his hometown paper, the Enid News and Eagle. He posted a photo of a relative's baby, details about his parents' lineage, his plans to move home to work for his father's business, and in the lead up to the Unite the Right rally, he excitedly shared the discord that he would be carrying the original flag of the state of Oklahoma, a red rectangle with the number forty six inside of a white star, and photos from the rally show just one man carrying that distinctive flag that was designed by a member of the Daughters of the Confederacy, jud Levins. As he grew into his role as regional coordinator for Identity Europa, he coordinated member meetups, getting several guys from Oklahoma to drive down to Texas for a get together. Conway posted about the meetup, and photos posted by other attendees show Blevins standing shoulder to shoulder with other members holding a large Identity Europa banner. Conway even posted about his appearance on a twenty eighteen episode of Identity Europa's podcast, where he emphasized the importance of staying in the You will not replace us mindset. The time he announced his run for office in twenty twenty two, it had been over three years since he'd been out at as Conway, the Hate Group member who attended the Unite the Right rally.
Speaker 1: And you could see why he would think it would work, right, because that you will not replace us thing. It's become like the mainstream Republican politics, right like this this ideology has at least one in the Republican Party, but it's also one divorced from these guys because even they are like, they're too toxic for even the modern Republicans. Like it's remarkable, but I also get why he thought this would work.
Speaker 11: And I think, I mean, I don't know what his connection remained to other members of IE after it dissolved, but towards the end of it, as it was dying, right, So under Elliott Klein, you know, Klein wanted to make a militia for Richard Spencer. He wanted to you know, build IE into a fighting force. But under Patrick Casey, they sort of moved back towards we should be trying to influence inside of politics. We should be going to colleges and getting you know, conservative students to become more base. Right, so this is a rational course of conduct, I think for where he was in twenty nineteen when Identity Europa died. But in any case, by twenty twenty two, anybody in Enid you could read his posts praising Hitler and celebrating Identity Europa for striking fear into the heart of the jew his words.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 11: You could see pictures of him at Unite the Right, both on the morning of the twelfth in the park and the evening of the eleventh with a torch. You could see pictures of him going to Texas for Ie meetups. You could see the dozens and dozens of photos he posted in the discord of Nazi posters and stickers he had put up on telephone polls and college bulletin boards across Oklahoma, and the posts where he reveled in the media coverage of the recruitment materials he left inside library books. His hometown newspaper, the Enid News and Eagle, ran an article about the allegations, which he never denied. A month before the election, and without ever having to give a straight answer on the issue, he won, and that could have been the end of the story. Right, You know, we've seen this trend in the last few years of these radical right wing elements trying to melt into the mainstream Republican party. You know, we've got these horrible little gropers working in congressional staff positions, and you know nazis going to spack and not getting ejected. They're getting out of the streets and into the meeting rooms.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: An account tied to blevins that he recently for the first time denied this was him.
Speaker 6: It's him.
Speaker 11: This has been widely reported. It was a Twitter account called at Abolish Journalism posted in twenty nineteen quote sts I agree with the argument GOP cannot be changed from the bottom up. However, I do not believe in discouraging our guys from getting elected into smaller offices such as city council, county commissioner, or even state legislators. Basically positions where one can fly under the radar yet still be effective. And that's what this is, right. This isn't a guy who got out of White Nationals organizing and in an unrelated fashion, became a local politician. No, he said years before he did this that this was a good idea that he had. You know, he never said I renounced my previous actions and beliefs. I regret bringing an active recruiter for a hate group. He just changed the way he was doing it. And he said countless opportunities to be clear about what he believes today and whether that's different from the beliefs he espoused between twenty seventeen and twenty nineteen, and he won't. He won't say I no longer identify with the posts I made when I was enthusiastically posting the fourteen words. And that's probably because he just found a better way to do it. But there were people in Enid, Oklahoma who saw right through that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is where the story takes a turn that like, I don't know, it made me hopeful because the first time I ever met a klansman was, you know, in Oklahoma. It was the dad of a friend of mine. Like he like that, this kid bragged about it, and I didn't know what a klansman was. And I had to go to my parents and like be like, hey, so you know so and so said this about his dad. What does that mean? And my mom was just like, well, you're not allowed to go to his house anymore. That's what that means, Juxes.
Speaker 6: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: If this like, if this guy had like, if shit had gone well for him, I guess that would have been my assumption. But that's that was my assumption based on me not giving a fair shake to Enid, Oklahoma, Right.
Speaker 11: I think that's you know what's so remarkable about this story is people didn't think Oklahoma could do it. But you know who can accomplish everything they set out to do?
Speaker 1: Uh huh, that's right, these sponsors, all of whom are available in Enid, Oklahoma, and we're back.
Speaker 11: Okay, alrighty, so I'm.
Speaker 1: Happy to hear. Yeah. The next part of this.
Speaker 11: Levins took office in May of twenty twenty three. Local election law requires a six month wait between being sworn in and when a recall attempt can be initiated, but the residents who opposed Levins didn't wait quietly. A group called the Enid Social Justice Committee protested his swearing in, with some protesters holding posters bearing a photo of Blevins holding a torch at the August eleven, twenty seventeen Nazi march at the University of Virginia. And now this I didn't even think about it until I was writing this that what an incredible coincidence of timing. Right, So May twenty twenty three, he's being sworn into office. It was just I think maybe two weeks before he was sworn in that the first indictment was unsealed against the guys who are now facing felony charges for participating in that torch march. Right, so it was we did an episode on this a little bit ago. But if you're not familiar that the guys who marched in that torch march at Eva in twenty seventeen, some of them are now being charged with a felony under Virginia law for burning an object with intent to intimidate. It's obviously a sort of a law aimed at the Klan, right, sort of a crossburning type law. But they were burning, they have these burning objects, and they were menacing people. It was racially motivated. So they're being charged with this felony for burning an object.
Speaker 1: It does feel like that's, yeah, a pretty good fit.
Speaker 11: But so right as he's being sworn in, you know, these people are protesting his swearing in with this photo of him with the torch and a couple guys just showed up in jail here in Charlottesville on that charge. So it's it's just a remarkable cognitive dissonance, right to see these people. Some of his supporters in Enid downplaying the seriousness or even outright denying that Levin's attended this rally, But the guys he was standing next to that day are pleading guilty to felonies. You know, he's up there voting on resolutions and passing ordinances about you know, storm water management or whatever. Or I think one of his accomplishments in office was getting a Texas roadhouse in Enid.
Speaker 1: First off, you shouldn't be proud of having a Texas roadhouse anywhere as a my job used to it might have been a Sizzler.
Speaker 11: I can't remember something like that.
Speaker 1: I would be much more excited for a Sizzler than a Texas fucking roadhouse, I'll say that much.
Speaker 11: But you know he's up there getting a you know, affordable chain steak restaurant in Edid. But there's a non zero chance that he could be arrested at any time and extradited on a felony charge.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, if there's one thing that's appropriate for the sizzler. It's knowing that the guy who put that sizzler there could be arrested on a felony charge at any moment.
Speaker 11: And you know, we don't know what the strategy is at the prosecutor's office. Obviously they're not going to charge everybody who is there. But it's on the table right Like he's on video at that march with the torch in his hand. He fits the criteria for the ten other guys that have already gone to jail for this. But in November of twenty twenty three, those six months had passed, recalls on the table now, and before the group made the final push to actually file for the recall, they made an offer of reconciliation. All Blevin's has to do is acknowledge the truth, denounce his past actions, just own up to it, start making amends. Just say yes I did that, No, I don't do it anymore. And he can't do it. Throughout this entire ordeal, he's never owned up to it. There are pictures and video and his own words across multiple online accounts. There's no plausible deniability here. There's no saying, well, maybe that's not him. You know, it's him, so just admit it and say you're not that guy anymore. But he has consistently refused to even acknowledge it right on several occasions, you know, when really pressed, he dismisses that twenty nineteen article by Jared Holt as quote a hit piece posted four years ago by a George Soros funded leftist outlet, calling it smears and slander.
Speaker 1: Nothing smears somebody like there their own words and actions.
Speaker 11: I'm being defamed by this photograph of me.
Speaker 1: I'm being judged simply for the things i chose to do.
Speaker 11: I thought this was America. But he won't actually deny specific facts. You know, he won't say that isn't me in the photo, or I did not participate in that, or I did not post those nice things about Hitler. He just attacks the people saying it. And while Levens has never denied the truth of the allegations, some of his supporters do. At one of those council meetings in November of last year, a woman speaking in support of Levins said the allegations weren't credible as they came from organizations like the SPLC that quote only exist to smear conservative Christians.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 11: First of all, the SPLC didn't publish it. It was Wright Wing Watch, Yeah, Huffington Post, but whenever Susan. And it was at that same meeting that the council declined to even vote on a resolution to censure Blevins. The council was putting forth a resolution to say we don't agree with what that guy did. You know, it wasn't like punishing him. It didn't actually strip him of any powers. He didn't do anything except say the rest of us we don't like that. And they could, they wouldn't even vote on it. It got tabled. And at that meeting, Commissioner Derwin Norwood, the only black member of Enid City Council, offered Blevins his forgiveness and gave him a big hug and told him he loved him.
Speaker 6: Great.
Speaker 11: Levan's never apologized, right, you can't forgive someone who hasn't apologized. He had never and still has never apologized. And he was pretty clear on where he stands on apology, saying I am not going to apologize for the lies that others tell. Yeah, it was a great meeting. I watched it from home. I had you know, I love I love a meeting.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, that's uh. I mean, I don't understand it, but I respect it.
Speaker 11: So, with their peace offering roundly rejected by an unapologetic Blevins, they moved forward the recall. The Enid Social Justice Committee gathered enough signatures to put it to a vote, and in January, Cheryl Patterson threw her hat into the ring to replace Blevins. And to be clear, this is still Enid, Oklahoma, where sixty percent of voters are registered Republicans. This wasn't some liberal coup. Patterson is also a lifelong Republican candidate formed the week before the election, Patterson was quick to say like right off the bat, the second she opened her mouth, she said, contrary to the rumor, I was not recruited by the Enid Social Justice Committee. And she said, you know, she'd been thinking about running for a while. She loves Enid, but she was pushed to action by her opponent's inability to clearly denounce his past involvement with a white supremacist group. And it is remarkable right to see conservative Republicans in the South saying like that Nazi stuff is too much for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and that's like that's actually an important part of turning shit back is getting these people who are otherwise conservative to draw a line and actually hold to it, because it it at least arrests that right word momentum to an extent. And we're just not going to get out of this unless we have some of that right.
Speaker 11: I'm not living in a you know, in a fantasy land where the city of Enid, Oklahoma is represented by a council of six socialists like that, that's not on the table. I accept that, but at least their Republicans can say, ah, the fourteen words is like not my vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, literally, participating in a white supremacist terrorist action is a line for us, and I'm glad there's a line, so you know.
Speaker 11: She says she was inspired to run for office because he not because of what he did, but because he couldn't even denounce it, right that. You know, people can grow and change. I pray that his heart moves, but he's unable to even denounce it, and he really does seem incapable. The very first question at that forum the week before the line was about this. Obviously a lot of the questions were, and he gave another non denial. Right, he said, this election is about the next three years of this city, not about organizations that disbanded five years ago. But he went on to say that he would quote gladly, plead guilty to speaking out against what is being done to this country and the anti white hatred in the media. So he tries to talk around the issue, saying, you know, he was just advocating for the same policies that got Donald Trump elected. But it's not like he was on the local Republican committee, right, He wasn't working on a GOP campaign. He was an organizer for a group that supported those policies of the Trump administration explicitly because they believe those policies were a stepping stone towards the full Nazification of American politics. Right, you know, the relationship between those two things troubling concerning. But you can't pretend there's no difference between voting Republican and holding a torch at the Nazi parade. And that's what he's trying to do here. He's trying to blur that lines. You know, I'm just being punished for being a proud conservative. And it's like, which which part right people who's you know people who want free speech, and it's like, well, which word do you want to say? And at no point during this recall campaign, from when they announced it in November to the election two weeks ago now, at no point during this recall campaign did he publicly denounce any of the white supremacists who supported him. Outlets like v Dare, a white nationalist publication run by an English born anti immigration race scientists who lives in a castle in West Virginia, wrote fawning editorials which were promoted by prominent white nationalists, including Identity Europa founder Nathan Dimigo. Fascist telegram channels provided guidance to subscribers about Oklahoma's campaign finance laws, which would allow them to donate to Blevins's campaign anonymously as long as they kept it under fifty dollars. According to reporting by Christmathias and Huntington Post, a man in Tech who runs a business with a known Patriot Front member donated nearly two thousand dollars to the campaign, which made up the bulk of the donated cash. And you might give him the benefit of the doubt and say, well, maybe he didn't know he was being endorsed by some of the largest elements in organized white supremacy in America.
Speaker 6: Sure, but he did he did know.
Speaker 11: As a member of the city council, he definitely saw the letters that were addressed to the city Council in support of Blevins from the American Freedom Party, an explicitly white supremacist political party that occasionally runs a Nazi for president. But he said nothing. And when a constituent, father James Neil, asked him directly why his campaign was funded by members of Patriot Front, he told the priest to quote, shut up again. He chose the company of neo Nazis, Holocaust deniers, white supremacists, white nationalists, and ethno state enthusiasts. How can you expect people to believe you're not that guy anymore when you have their public praise, their endorsement, and their money in your pocket. But you know who does not have two thousand dollars in cash from Patriot Front in their pockets?
Speaker 1: No, I know they keep that shit in the back. I mean, they don't have it. Here's here's our sponsors, and we're back.
Speaker 11: So on April second, that's two weeks ago.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 11: As we're recording, the people of Enid returned to the polls and jud Blevins was voted out of office as Ward one City Commissioner by a vote of eight hundred and twenty nine to five sixty one. And I don't know if you're a math guy. I'm not a math guy. I a calculator. Out for this bad boy. But this turnout was significantly larger than the vote that put him into office. A seventy two percent increase in total votes. That's a lot. Yeah, that's a lot more people who showed up to you know, an off cycle special election.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's specifically weird.
Speaker 11: And unlike the slim margin of just thirty six votes that won him the twenty twenty three election, he lost the recall by nearly twenty points. That's a spankin. You know, it's hard to chalk a loss like that up to a lunatic fringe, right, That's that's the electorate speaking. But Matthew Gibert, a former State Department employee who lost his job for failing to disclose his active involvement in white supremacist organizing, noted in his telegram channel that while the loss is disappointing, an open white nationalist winning forty percent of the vote is quote, nothing to despair over, and you never got a hand out to the guy who hosts a podcast about the joys of Nazi fatherhood or whatever. Yeah, but the numbers are what they are. You know, he did win forty percent of the vote, and this was after months of very public debate in the national spotlight that made it impossible not to know what the allegations were. And it's not like these were just diehard conservatives who had walk into the voting booth and put their check mark next to wherever the letter R was right in this election, the other name on the ticket was a Republican too, Like, these were people who walked in there and knowingly and intentionally cast their vote for a guy who used to vet new members for a Nazi club. This isn't a fairy tale, it's reality, right. This wasn't an offensive win by progress or the left or what have you. This was an effective defense And I hope conservatives can see a little lesson here, right, Like the story is too often one of ever ratcheting extremism. You can only win if you go further, if you go wilder, if you're appealing to the people who are on the absolute extreme end of what's acceptable to say in the party. But this was a case where a fellow conservative said, Hey, I want to take some books out of the library too. I'm not a liberal, but we just can't be out here saying the fourteen words, right. And I think some of the buzz around this story comes from people in bigger cities or bluer states. I mean, honestly, I'm of this as well, who were shocked that, you know, purple haired liberals and progressive clergy even exist in a place like Enid, Oklahoma. But this red state blue state dichotomy is a myth. Most places are purple, most places are sixty forty. Even in places that reliably one hundred percent of the time vote Republican, there's still a large minority of people who are not represented by that. So even in a place like Enid, which is Republican at the polls, you have a pretty big chunk of the population isn't represented on that two colored map. That doesn't mean they don't care. And when I watched those Enid city council meetings, I saw Charlottesville.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 11: I've gone to every city council meeting in Charletsville for the last seven years. Like, I know what it looks like for people in a town that size to show up and say, what the fuck, what the fuck are you doing to us?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know it looked like one of our meetings.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 11: I saw regular people, moms and students and grandmas and teachers and ladies who bring muffins to the church bake sale. People who know that their town can do better than to be represented by a guy who won't apologize for attending the largest Nazi rally on US soil in our lifetimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I feel a lot for the folks who are kind of not represented by either of the two big lines on the political map, and maybe most of the time feel like I don't know what the fuck I can actually do or should do, but I know this Nazi shouldn't be in office.
Speaker 11: So these were just these were just regular people. These weren't party apperatics or you know, this wasn't the Democrat party doing this, as wasn't the Republican party doing this. These were just people who didn't think that a Nazi should be their city commissioner. And that's I think another myth at play here, right, is that activist is some sort of separate class of person, that there is some portion of the population whose only goal in life is this nebulous, nefarious thing called activism. That you know, it's sort of this boogeyman of the professional troublemaker. And throughout this process, Blevins and his supporters have smeared the group organizing the recall, the Ined Social Justice Committee, is some kind of fringe radical group. They're Antifa, they're freaks, They're not like us. They're coming for our children. His recall campaign website called the petitioners an unhinged group of left wing fringe activists. And the campaign website didn't say what he could do for you. It attacked the petitioners and said this is what they will do to you. And I've seen this in my own city council meetings, right, this sort of bizarre tendency of those in power to write off the people they don't want to hear from as activists. Well, those are people we need to listen to. Those are activists. That's a different kind of person. Anyone who's asking for something they don't want to do, something that's uncomfortable, something that requires them to look inward, or look at the structures they're upholding. They undergo this instant metamorphosis from constituent to activists. This is no longer a voter or a constituent. This is a crazy person. This person isn't your neighbor anymore. They're an activist.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I think you know, there are people who wear that mantle proudly, and why shouldn't they. It's a usually positive thing. But the use of the word as some sort of delegitimizing cudgel is so consistent that I think it's worth thinking about when it gets used against the recipient's will. Yeah, and there's no ending to this story, right, because this is never really over. It is happening here, it is happening there. And I don't know what's next for Blevins. Maybe he just smelts quietly back into society and puts roofs on houses. A week after the recall, he filed paperwork to change the name of his dad's contracting business from Invincible Contracting to Great Planes Roofing. The paperwork filed shows that the company is now registered. The company is now registered. His address a house in Enid that he bought last summer, with a VA loan. But now that he's free of the self imposed recons train of running for office, maybe he leans into it and becomes this guy. Right, Maybe he's just the guy that this happens to, and he goes on the cancel culture grievance circuit. Maybe he goes full throttle and tries to get back into movement organizing. I think his failure to come out and really celebrate the movement and really own it and say yes, I said that stuff and it's good. I think that failure, as they would perceive it, would hurt him a little bit if he tries to re enter the movement, but not so badly that he couldn't do it. You know, they're so desperate for new material that they would probably embrace him if he wanted to be the figurehead of the month. Yeah, hopefully he just does the roofing thing though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, hopefully he does the roofing thing and then the falling off the roof thing, and then you.
Speaker 11: Know he's that they're doing the work himself. He doesn't even have a contracting license, I checked.
Speaker 1: I hope he hires someone who is like a very large person and they fall off and are okay because they land on him. That's that's I think where I'm.
Speaker 11: Going here, And to be clear, that's Robert speaking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that is, But that is also the official opinion of iHeartMedia.
Speaker 11: Mean, I don't know that he's he's made any great pronouncements. He hasn't showed up on any Nazi podcast yet. I will put ten dollars on a bet that says he will. He'll be on somebody's podcast by the end of the month. I don't doubt it. But hopefully he just does roofing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, stick to roofing.
Speaker 11: As for ENID, you know, they want a battle that they shouldn't have had to fight. It should be kind of a no brainer that we don't elect guys like this. That's becoming less certain every day, Like the fact that there was any question about how the recall might go is concerning. We shouldn't be in a position of wondering will people vote for the guy who won't deny he loves Hitler. But I think we can applaud the tenacity of the folks in Enan who did what was necessary in a place where it wasn't easy. Yeah, you know, and there's there's lessons to be learned here. Go to the meetings, get a seed and sit council chambers. Go to the library board meeting, go to the school board meeting. You don't have to be an activist, whatever that means, but be in the room because nobody's going to change the world on their own. And maybe changing the world isn't even a meaningful objective. I don't know what that means. Yeah, but today, maybe there's something you can do with your neighbors to stop the rising tide in your town. You can't change the weather, but you can put down some sandbags. And there are jud blevins Is everywhere, hiding behind mealy mouthed rhetoric of conservatism and quietly chipping away at your local institutions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's doable, fighting the juds Blevin of I chose a different way to Pluraliza's name of your wherever you live, your state, your city. Like is doable, and it's doable if you stick to this very simple platform of like, but not a Nazi. Right, we can agree not a Nazi.
Speaker 11: You know, if conservatives have any if conservatives had any sense, they could retake a lot of ground by saying like you know, we love all the stuff you love, fellow conservatives, but we're not that guy, right, Like, if they had any if they had any pride, they would stop pandering to the lunatic fringe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it is just kind of looking at how congressional race is shaping up, where it seemed like it should have been pretty easy for them to retake the house. But you know, now they're kind of like flailing a little bit, in part because they keep backing these maniacs who just aren't good. Yeah.
Speaker 11: I don't really believe that those ideas are popular. They just have fallen into this trap of thinking like this is the only way to win. So I guess I have to do it.
Speaker 1: But you'll send it not that house anyway, whatever, we'll cut that.
Speaker 11: Who cares about those guys. Yeah, but you don't have to do it, right, Be the Sheeryl Batterson you want to see in the world. Yeah, and just be a milk toast Republican and be the Nazi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at least. I don't know. I'm mixed because, like I do, I do like it when the Republicans fail over much, but I also feel like it's bad to take the bet of like, well, if we hope for more nazis that push people away from the Republicans, maybe it'll work for us in the long run. Statistically that that kind of gamble is real dangerous. Yeah, yeah, that's Enid, that's inened Baby, good working.
Speaker 11: Congratulations to the end Social Justice Committee. Honestly, I'm yeah, very impressed.
Speaker 1: You get our coveted Oklahoma City of the Month award, which is confusing because you are very near Oklahoma City. But they shouldn't have named it that. Well, that's all I got.
Speaker 11: That's all I got. Yeah, I was trying to put a button, trying to put a button on that bad boy. But uh yeah that's Oklahoma baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good for you, Good for Oklahoma.
Speaker 6: Welcome to it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis. On this show, we try to apply political and cultural analysis towards speculative futurity. What can we learn about the future by looking at how our present relates to our past and now? As we approach a whole decade of a resurgent far right gaining cultural prominence, we're entering a moment in time where pop culture and media is starting to catch up to the current political zeitgeist. Our media landscape is inundated with depictions of unreality, political extremism, collapse, and rising civil tensions. Some of these succeed more than but most are still deeply neoliberal in their depictions. The Obama produced a Netflix movie from last year, Leave the World Behind, was a speculative look at a collapse orchestrated to jumpstart a second American Civil war. Alex Garland's voyeuristic civil war movie just released, which sort of gestures at politics with offhand mentions of portlaind maoists and the Antifa massacre. But as a movie, it completely fails to understand the moment we currently occupy, and I believe is even more out of touch than the Obama collapse movie, but we're not talking about that today. For my thoughts on that, you can look up my review on Letterboxed and refer to the reviews I liked for a more robust critique of Garland's deeply troubling depiction of quote unquote neutral war journalism as uncritically virtuous. Instead, this episode will be turning to a depiction of modern da extremism that I'm not sure is better. It's still deeply neoliberal and honestly more overtly copaganda, but one that I still find more interesting and I believe does understand our political moment much better than Alex Garland does, who comes off as less and less intelligent in every single interview he does. Last month, the television show Law and Order did an episode focusing on Robert Rundo's far right fitness groups, the White supremacist Active Clubs. To discuss, I am joined by longtime far right researcher Molly Conger.
Speaker 11: Hello, Molly, Hey, thanks for having me on. And you probably didn't know this about me. I am a secret enjoyer of police procedurals, so I've actually watched a lot of Law and Order.
Speaker 6: I have never seen a single episode of Law and Order until this week, so I was really inundated. I don't know. I watch a lot of kind of troubling media, though, and media that tries to comment on current political extremism, and often when I talk with my friends about my interest in viewing things like this episode, I get confused or even adversarial reactions, and I do truly understand their hesitations. Pop culture media like this is often very sensational, turning very real pain trauma and death caused by the far right into this form of kind of mindless entertainment and often reifying the role of good government and good cops to maintain order against racist insurgents, even though more and more of their ilk begin to occupy public office and become cops themselves. But politics and culture are hand in hand. Lots of what became the al Right grew out of gamer gait, and I think there is a real use in understanding how the political activities of fascists and anti fascists are depicted in mass media. I believe there is some value in knowing what NBC and the writers of Law and Order think in Active club is as like a sort of cultural litmus test, and also to see how well people like us are doing in trying to educate about these types of groups. But I totally understand that not everyone wants to suffer through a forty minute Lawn Order episode about cops beating the Nazis, So instead I will watch it for you and talk about exactly how they depicted this with Molly here today. So I think the most efficient way for me to do this is to kind of give a recap of the episode and as I start going through it, we will discuss a certain points. I can't just summarize all of it in like a short paragraph. I mean I could. I just think that would miss out on a lot of stuff. So instead, we're going to go through the episode and comment as things happen. And this episode ends up being about a lot more than just an active club. It's actually pulling from a few other influences that we will talk about probably towards the end. Anyway, that felt sloppy to me.
Speaker 11: I feel like they try to tackle several specific like I don't know how familiar are with with the Law and Order franchise, but they call these episodes the ripped from the headlines episodes, right where they take a real life, high profile case and write an episode about it. But they tried to combine several elements that I felt didn't blend well, and it deep the more material to work with than they were able to address, and so it just felt I just felt unresolved to me.
Speaker 6: I mean, I assume lots of these police procedurals are kind of undercooked, as like pieces of art.
Speaker 11: I mean, the Dick Wolf extended universe is churning out so much content that like, I don't know how they're still doing it. I mean, Olivia Benson has been on television since I was a child.
Speaker 6: So let's get into the actual episode. The cold open begins. It's night in New York City. A nervous looking white woman enters a subway station, and she's startled by a sleeping homeless man. As the subway approaches, eerie music starts playing. The anxious woman walks onto the subway and a black man cat calls her as a group of other men kind of join in. The woman quickly switches to a more empty subway car, where she then bumps into another black man whose eyes look kind of vacant and has make weird grunting noises, and then the man appears to lunge towards the woman. We cut to crime scene tape stretched across the subway station. Two police detectives to enter the subway car, where a dead body lies on the ground. But it's not the scared white woman. It's the oddly grunting black man who appears to have been strangled to death with no apparent witnesses. He's identified as twenty four year old Ellis Joyner, a stand up comedian who A detective says, quote came from down South, love to talk about how much he loved New York. The other detective remarks, great place to live, not such a great place to die. Cut the title screen with music that I assume has not been updated in like thirty years, because the actual it sounds so so nineties.
Speaker 11: They can't change it.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 11: There are thousands of episodes of the show Garrison, It's history.
Speaker 6: So already with the cold open, we have like, ooh, the dangerous subway, scary homeless people, this poor white woman. A lot of stuff's being thrown at.
Speaker 11: Us, right and obviously playing on the idea that like, oh, the white woman is going to be under that, but that sheet, like that's going to be her body.
Speaker 6: Totally totally So, as we returned to the episode, a forensic pathologist says the man died after being put in a quote unquote sleeper hold, which cut off oxygen to his brain. His medical records reveal he also had severe asthma, and his hyperinflated lungs indicate he was currently suffering an asthma attack when he was killed by the lethal chokehold. In the fifty minute window for a time of death. The train passed through six subway stations, four of which all had broken cameras.
Speaker 11: Which is supposed to remind the viewer that we really need to fund the subway cops.
Speaker 6: Correct. A lot of this episode is about how subway surveillance is under equipped to deal with crime. And we could probably fix a lot of problems if there was more security cameras in the subway.
Speaker 11: Or just one hundred cops. What if they put one hundred cops on there.
Speaker 6: Sure, or more cops and like to my, the subway in New York City historically has not had security cameras inside the actual train cars, though they are expected to by twenty twenty six. But like the light rail in Portland, the kind of like not not subway, but like the Public Transits train in Atlanta, they all have cameras inside the actual train cars. I was surprised that the subway in New York did not. I just I just never knew that. Anyway. Back to law and order, Ellis Joiner's credit card identified the station that he got on at, which also had broken cameras, but police pulled streetcam footage from a few blocks away, which shows Joyner getting into a fight with another comedian where Joyner got punched. The other man is recognized as Malcolm Paige, a stand up who quote used to open for Chappelle back in the day unquote, so already setting up something fantastic. The detectives interview Page and show him social media footage of Joiners is set from last night, making fun of Page for being old and irrelevant. Page says that verbally attacked him because Joiner quote got his panties in a twist unquote over some of Page's jokes quote hit too close to home for fancy boy unquote. And when Page says fancy boy, he does this little shaky hand thing, which the detective asks if that's supposed to imply that Joyner is gay, which the older comedian says, yes.
Speaker 11: I mean I've seen this sort of like limpressed hand movie this.
Speaker 6: Did it did? It was just like a weird like shaking like hand, like fancy you.
Speaker 11: Sort of shake your hand side to side when you mean like kind of or maybe exactly exactly hand movie. It was your homophobic gestures, right, it was.
Speaker 6: It was really weird. I found this whole interaction kind of bizarre.
Speaker 11: And unnecessary, like you write in this kind of red herring when you're trying to fill time. But they had plenty, they had plenty of script. They didn't need this.
Speaker 6: This episode's so focused on different forms of racism, so much adding in this like weird gay subplot to doesn't It doesn't end up going anywhere, and it's just kind of bizarre. So anyway, this basically, this older comedian was telling homophobic jokes. Joiner then made fun of him on stage, and this older comedian Page assaulted him outside. Page then left in an uber and Joiner ran off with his boyfriend, who, according to Paige, weren't getting along either. So there's some kind of like like God, a new suspect arises exactly exactly. So police look through Joiner's emails and texts in the cloud quote unquote, and can't find any record of a boyfriend, making detectives surmise that he must have been in the closet, which is a baffling thing to surmise. Cops then contact quote the Traveler app. That's that's Traveler spelled.
Speaker 11: T r a v l R. You have to cut out a vowel or it's not an apple.
Speaker 6: So legally not Grinder gives NYPD complete access to Joiner's account, and.
Speaker 11: I'm sorry, Like, are gay male sex apps usually like pink and purple. The color scheme is pink and purple.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not my experience, but yeah, I think it's also a referenced to like like travelers, like fellow travelers, right right, it was obviously supposed to be Grinder, but it's it's just Grinder. It doesn't matter, but cop legally not Grinder gives NYPD full access to Joiner's account, which shows he's dating a guy named Michael Zain. And this, this whole thing is, this whole thing's so wild because if you're dating someone, you should not be primarily communicating through Grinder.
Speaker 11: And he said later they've been dating for six six months, six months, They've never texted, they're just using Grinder to chat.
Speaker 6: Whenever you go on Grinder, the goal is to get off of Grinder as soon as possible. Why why would privately texting each other instead out you as gay anymore than having an identifiable Grinder profile?
Speaker 11: Do I feel like having Grinder up on your phone and it has a very distinctive like text tone, Like that's way more likely to out you dog just text regular exactly.
Speaker 6: It makes no sense anyway. The traveler messages between Joyner and Michael Zain indicate a sort of ongoing fight or argument. Now Zain has a prior conviction for aggravated assault last year.
Speaker 11: They didn't actually, so I went back and I went back and double check this because I have some beef.
Speaker 6: He doesn't have a care.
Speaker 11: They said he was arrested for assault last year.
Speaker 6: He was just charged. He wasn't connected at my mistake, yes, but also the episode does not make that very clear.
Speaker 11: No, because I have a reason. I went back and checked because it makes no sense.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, his boyfriend was charged last year for aggravated assault. So the detectives pay him a visit because they think he's like a suspect.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: Zain says that he didn't kill Joyner, he loved him, and that their fight on the night of the murder was about to Joiner's own self hatred and Zay believing that things would be better if they could just live openly as a couple, but Joyner was concerned that it would threaten his comedy career. Zain maintained nothing ever got physical between each other and explained that his assault charge was from trying to break up a bar fight, but when the cops arrived, they targeted Zane because he was black, to which the two NYPD detectives nod solemnly.
Speaker 11: They're like, yeah, that does sound like something we would do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, other cops are racist, but not us. They're like okay. Zain claims that Joyner wanted time alone, so he got off the train a few stops before and went home, but mentions that there was a white guy with short brown hair, bright yellow sneakers, and a hoodie with some kind of symbol on the back who was looking weirdly at him and Joiner. Security camera footage shows someone matching that description exiting the train car one stop before Joyner's body was found, and one of the detectives recognizes the symbol. We will learn more about this mysterious hoodie, sneaker, and symbol after this adbreak. So I first, I just want to describe what this symbol is. It's it is. It's this octagon with spiky corners and like two k's facing like like like one facing backwards. Yeah, one one facing forward with one facing backwards, but smushed together and the shared middle pillar is like an arrow pointing upwards.
Speaker 11: It looked like nothing to me.
Speaker 6: They tried to desire something that looked vaguely racist, but it's just not. It just it just looks dumb.
Speaker 11: It looks like I don't like a tech company logo or something like. Yeah, it is not evoke anything for me.
Speaker 6: No, it's it's not good. They're trying to make it scary with like lots of like different like angles, but like it's it's it's not. It's not scary anyway. The detectives arrive at an MMA gym in Chelsea called the Kovak Academy. It opened about a year ago and they've been peppering the neighborhood with flyers. Well, that sounds familiar, extremely accurate. The cops are graded by jacked staff member with a shaved head, and they asked to speak with the owner, and this skinhead employee says that they just missed him. But there's a picture on the wall of the owner holding a trophy and he's wearing the exact outfit in the subway security footage. The detectives are told that he was getting a cab to the airport. Now thought I thought this was gonna be like a classic Rundo move right, do some crimes flee the country, But allegedly he was actually flying to Toronto, which actually will kind of get explained later on. Cops are outside to see if they can spot him before he leaves, and they see a man in yellow sneakers and a logo emblazoned hoodie walking towards a cab. They sprint tap him on the shoulder. The MMA guy throws detectives against the car, starts fighting, not realizing their NYPD because he has like earbuds on. Cops pull their guns, then he surrenders. The owner of the gym is named Domino Dominal. It's a weird it's weird name.
Speaker 11: I think Dominall it's like and I think it's an Irish name.
Speaker 5: Dominall.
Speaker 6: Yeah, dominoll Kovak. He has four previous convictions for assault, all against black victims, with two charged as hate crimes. A detective notes that Kovak has a tattoo on his right arm of laced up combat boots with the number eighty eight, which the detective calls a white nationalist symbol.
Speaker 11: Okay, okay, here, I looked, I looked hard. I looked hard through a lot of photographs of Nazi tattoos, and the boot tattoo is not common and you only see it in skinhead culture.
Speaker 6: And this guy's not a skinhead. The actual owner of the gym does not appear to be a skinhead. He has like a big beard. He has like long brown, like longish brown, not long, but like medium shaggy brown hair. But but yeah, he has this combat boot eighty eight tattoo.
Speaker 11: That's there are a lot of Nazi tattoos and that's not the one I would have picked for this character.
Speaker 6: No, it's obviously like some lawn order writer googled like Nazi tattoo and just picked that.
Speaker 11: Like, but that's the thing is, if that's what they had done, I don't think they would have picked that, because, like I said, I was looking through all of these sort of like lists of different kinds of tattoos, yeah, by different nonprofits. There is one one picture in all of these databases of a tattoo that's even similar to this, where it's a pair of boots with the number eight on each boot. I found one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think that that is the one they used. I think they did want to like bring in some level of like the idea of dog whistling kind of with eighty eight, which will come up later in the episode, but it's it's not well done anyway. Kovac says that he's never seen Ellis Joyner before and that the night of the murder, he was running a late night intensive training program called the Combat Academy, based on the Navy Seals training course. So many red flags are going off here. It ended around midnight. Afterwards, Kovec said he walked to his girlfriend's dear By apartment. He was never on the subway, but he explains that the gray hoodie and yellow sneakers are part of the Combat Academy uniform that all members wear.
Speaker 11: It's so important to wear matching outfits with your boys.
Speaker 6: And in one of the more accurate moments of the episode, as soon as he's in even a little trouble, he gives out all the names of the members in his group.
Speaker 11: Did not even wait for a subpoena. He's like, would you like their credit card numbers?
Speaker 6: Did not hesitate. He's like, no, absolutely, I'll give a DNA, so I'll tell I'll tell you the names all the guys. It wasn't me, I swear. So the detectives locate they're recently divorced Brandon Arnaut outside of the I like that they added the detail he was recently divorced, but this never actually come up. It does not matter.
Speaker 12: But the second, the second they walk up to him on the street, he was like, oh, my wife left me. My wife left me last year with me, so I got really into grappling with the boys because my wife left me.
Speaker 6: Yes, exactly. So they find him outside the elementary school he teaches that and which.
Speaker 11: Also never comes up again.
Speaker 6: Nope, and after very very little questioning, very came questioning, he immediately admits to killing Joyner, saying it was an accident and that Joyner was attacking a woman on the subway and Brandon here was trying to protect her. At the police station, the police say that they can't find any footage of the woman Brandon is talking about, but the defense attorney asks if the cameras were even working at every station, to which the cops roll their eyes if like really sartastical answer. They're like, oh my god, this fucking guy asking if the cameras are broken. The cops tell Brandon that they found Ellis Joyner's missing cell phone in his gym locker. They searched his house, they didn't find anything, but they got his They got a warn for his gym locker and found the cell phone, and they alleged that he stole it after he realized that Joyner recorded a video of the fight that ended up with Joiner being strangled to death.
Speaker 11: And that's something we call consciousness of guilt.
Speaker 6: The defense attorney ends the interview immediately as soon as they bring this.
Speaker 11: Up, like, why wouldn't you tell your lawyer that tell him that before you go in the search history and Brandon's laptop shows him trying to figure out how to unlock the phone to delete the video.
Speaker 6: Now, this part's a little bit odd. The cops debate even though quote he admits to killing Joyner, I'm not sure we have enough evidence to charge unquote, which is not true. You have so much evidence, you have a confession, you have so much evidence to charge.
Speaker 11: This is so bizarre, Like how often do you have a recording of a murder happening and then the guy admitting.
Speaker 6: That it admits, Yeah, it's ridiculous. They charge on far far less.
Speaker 11: They have that conversation in the room and they're like, well, we can charge him or we can let him go. He's like, I mean, I understand a conversation about like is this murder too, is this manslaughter? Yeah, but it's not a question of whether or not you're charging with something. You're charging him with something.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think there's a reason actually why they had this conversation, which I will get to at the end of the episode if you remind me. I think there's a reason why they discussed this option of letting him go versus charging him. But at this point we now swa to the law half of the episode after we finished the order half. I don't know why these are reversed because they do the police part first, then the court part. But whatever, it should be called order and law, which just guess, I guess, just doesn't sound good. So a front page story in the legally not New York Post is being passed around the DA's office. It reads self defense or racist killing hero or zero.
Speaker 11: A recurring story in New York City.
Speaker 6: The prosecutor who's played by Hugh Dancy I'm just gonna call Hugh Dancy because they don't know his character's name, states that half the city believes Brandon's self defense story and the other half just to sees a white man killing an unarmed black man. That is what happened, a litmus test for what people want to believe, says the main DA.
Speaker 11: I think at this point the writers in that room are just tired. Oh yeah, so like you can only do so much cocaine before it just like stops working.
Speaker 6: The DA's office says that Brandon held Joiner in a choke for so long after he was unconscious that even if it started as self defense, it escalated to homicide. They debate between manslaughter and murder, saying the former would be easier to win with a clear use of excessive force, regardless of Brandon's story of trying to help the girl. But based on the cell phone video, the DA decides to pursue a murder case due to a quote depraved indifference to human life unquote displayed by choking someone for full three minutes after falling unconscious.
Speaker 11: I'm not sure if you mentioned so. They found the phone, So the victim had been recording the altercation and then it got knocked out of his hand, and so it was recording audio of the murder, but not video.
Speaker 6: I'm going to get to that once we get to the court scene. Hugh Dancy is nervous about Brandon's literal white night story and that he has no history of violence, but the DA insists on second degree murder, saying, quote, this is George Floyd all over again in what way? And I'm sure as hell not going to end up on the wrong side of it unquote, Which does ut make the DA sound like a good guy, just makes him sound like he doesn't want to have like a bad press. It comes off as very slimy.
Speaker 11: I you know, I said, I watch a lave of Law and Order, and so I have seen probably a thousand hours of it, but I haven't watched it in several years, so I don't know if maybe the tone has evolved a little bit, but I got the impression that, like, I don't know, maybe this is a guy who's consistently worried about getting re elected, right because his job is an elected position. Yeah, just doesn't want the press.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So finally we cut to court, the prosecution plays the cell phone video. Seconds after Joyner starts recording on his phone, Brandon knocks it out of his hand, landing camera side down, continuing to record only audio of the struggle. We hear Brandon putting Joyner into a choke hold, Joyner repeatedly saying he can't breathe, before appearing to pass out, followed by three minutes of silence up until Brandon releases his arm from around Joyner's neck. He picks up the phone, sees it's recording, and turns it off. As the video is playing, the prosecutor and the jury are all shaking their heads so that we know that they don't agree with it. Hugh Dancy questions the medical examiner, who explains it after Joiner lost consciousness, he could no longer pose an a lethal threat to the defendant, who continued to talk donor for three more minutes. The defense suggests that a surge of adrenaline distorted time and awareness of his surroundings, which in the panic of the moment, made brand did not realize Joiner lost consciousness for that long. Ellis, Joiner's secret boyfriend, testifies next. He says the defendant was weirdly staring at Joyner and himself, and that Brandon moved aggressively to step in Zayne's way. When he was trying to exit the train and said, quote unquote watch yourself in a quote unquote racist tone. The defense brings up Zayne's past aggravated assault charge to cast doubt on his testimony.
Speaker 11: Okay, they can't do that. They cannot take they cannot you cannot do that. There is a very limited set of circumstances in which you can bring up a witness's criminal history, and this isn't it.
Speaker 6: There is a lot of funky law decisions going on in this episode.
Speaker 11: You can't do that.
Speaker 6: Speaking of a funky law decisions, while actually speaking of speaking of this ad break, we are back speaking of troubling law decisions. The defense calls a surprise female witness, Rebecca Laski, something you cannot do.
Speaker 11: I looked it up. The average time to take a felony to trial in New York is a year, So from time of death to this going to trial, best case scenario probably like a fucking year. They had a year to find this woman and she shows up on the last day of the trial.
Speaker 6: It's definitely not the last day because if.
Speaker 11: This was you know, this is obviously sort of mimicking the what was his name, Daniel Penny.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's it's always.
Speaker 11: Like making the Daniel Penny caase like this would have been on the New York Post like every day leading up to the trial.
Speaker 6: This woman would have been located. The murder happened in January. The trial star I believe in early March, and lasts about two weeks according to the timeline of the TV show, So that's not how it works anyway. Rebecca Laski, the female the surprise female witness. She testifies that she accidentally bumped into Joyner, who quote unquote appeared mentally disturbed and was making aggressive grunting noises aggressive grunting noises before lunging at her. She then claims Joyner reached into his pocket and she was scared he had a knife or something, so she screamed. She screamed for help, and Brandon Arnau saved her. She testified that mister Arnau grabbed Joyner away from her and the two men started fighting. Laski calls Brandon a hero, and a jury looks on inquisitively. After the female witnesses quote unquote compelling testimony, the prosecutor talks with the DA about offering a manslaughter plea but the DA is steadfast since the video clip of a man begging for his life and being choked to death for three minutes after falling unconscious has not actually changed. Hugh Dancy remarks that new context for the video isn't really in their favor to it. The DA just replies, just because a white woman saw Joyner as a threat doesn't make it true, like okay, based in New York, DA, I guess. Back in court, the prosecution asks Rebecca Laski if she was actually present when a quote, the defendant choked the life out of a joiner unquote. She clarifies that the train stopped as the men were still fighting. Joyner was reaching into his pocket. She was scared that he maybe had a knife.
Speaker 5: Again.
Speaker 11: He's probably reaching for his inhaler and.
Speaker 6: Hailer or his cell phone to record this fight. She curiously mentions, though, that after Brandon grabbed Joyner's arm and the fight started, Brandon kept yelling at Joyner. He was yelling to quote, surrender and that he was bleeding, and that he was dirty or fighting dirty. I don't really remember the exact words unquote.
Speaker 11: This destroyed me. I almost turned it off.
Speaker 6: Everyone in the courtroom gets a really funny look when she meant when she mentions the word dirty. So we we will get to this in a sec Under questioning, Last admits that she never saw any weapon of any kind, let alone a knife, and Hugh Dancy suggests that after being attacked by a fellow comedian and having an argument with its boyfriend, Joyner was probably suffering from an asthma attack triggered by high stress. He wasn't mentally ill, he wasn't acting aggressive or grunting in a threatening manner. He was stuck in a subway car having an asthma attack. And he addresses Laski saying, quote, you saw a scary black man making a noise. Objection Uh sustained, So yeah.
Speaker 11: But they didn't but they objected there. But then when he says like, and isn't it true that his behavior was consistent with an asthma attack? Nobody objected to that she can't offer She can't offer a medical opinion.
Speaker 6: Rebecca Laski, a ballet dancer, not a medical professional, cannot offer an opinion on what what his medical symptoms can be consistent with.
Speaker 11: When she starts getting upset, saying like, oh my God, this is all my fault, Like this happened because of me. Like at that point, no prosecutor would have allowed her to continue speaking. He would have said, just answer the questions, just answer the questions. He would not have let her get emotional up there and blame it like that's that's poison.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it makes not very good television, thrilling television. So after court for the day, the prosecution wonders if Brandon allegedly saying something about blood and dirt could have really been quote the Nazi slogan blood and.
Speaker 11: Soil no no, no gere no no.
Speaker 6: The new battle cry of white nationalist groups unquote.
Speaker 11: See here's the thing.
Speaker 6: So this is where the episode goes fully, fully off the rails.
Speaker 11: So like when I was watching her testimony, she was like he said something about like you know, he was bleeding and like he was dirty. At no point did my mind no connect that too. And I quite literally just yesterday was watching videos of guys yelling blood and soil. This is something that's on my mind.
Speaker 6: It is a ridiculous jump. It's not there because yeah, he's yelling something about like bleeding because his lip was bleeding, and sure, a remark about being dirty could be could be construed as as like a racist remark. But the jump from bleeding and dirty to blood and dirt to blood and soil is fucking baffling.
Speaker 11: It's just not even the same words. But not to nippick here, not to Nipick. I just don't know that blood and soil would have been the chant he chose as he was doing the choking.
Speaker 6: It's bizarre he would have said a slur. Hugh Dancy is also skeptical. None of the interviews with Brandon's family or co workers indicated anything about racial extremism, but the other prosecutor suggests that they look into his fitness gym, the Covak Academy, as the owner quote has ties to a few white nationalist organizations.
Speaker 11: Uh oh.
Speaker 6: The DA's office decides to investigate further. They arrive at the gym as the buff Skinhead staff member from the start of the episode is closing up for the day. He claims to not know Brandon very well, and when he's asked if he's ever heard Brandon say something that could be interpreted as racist, he responds by saying, I'm sorry, but I can't help you. The prosecutor makes a snydermark and starts to leave, and the man quietly says, look, I can't get into details, but let's just say you're heading down the right path. But I can't help you because it would blow my cover unquote.
Speaker 11: WHOA, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: He's a cop infiltrating the Nazi fight club. I mean, there are some cops in there, right. I don't know if I would say they're infiltrating. The next scene is the funniest in the whole episode. After stumbling onto the undercover operation, the head DA arrives at the NYPD counter Terrorism Bureau as they have info pertaining to the prosecution's murder case. But the counter Terrorism Bureau explains their scope is much larger than this one case and they have quote had their eye on Kovac for a while now. They explained to the DA that his MMA gym is actually a quote active club part of an international network of a white supremacist sleeper cells that all front as MMA style gyms unquote. So okay, okay, okay. White nationalists have been using MMA gyms to front for activities for decades.
Speaker 11: I just found a new one the other day.
Speaker 6: This does happen. This does not mean they are active clubs, nor do active clubs have to be MMA gyms. These are these things are venn diagrams that can sometimes overlap, but not always. The version of active clubs we see in this episode now starts getting pretty fictitious.
Speaker 11: It Immediately first, I was like, almost like a fairly reasonable like, yeah, like we do have active clubs at MMA gyms, that's the thing they were like and their stockpiling weapons to do a January sixth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so what what? So they say they've identified over thirty active clubs across nine states and several provinces of Canada. So nine states far too low. There's active clubs in way more states than that. There's also not necessarily like if you have thirty active clubs across nine states, that's a bizarre ratio. It means there's a lot of active clubs in like a few states, which generally isn't how it kind of ends up being there's maybe like one or two, maybe three like per state. We don't fully know, but I will give them points for adding in the Canadian chapters, which most people kind of overlook, but.
Speaker 11: Also like, why is the NYPD investigating something happening in nine states. That's FEDS.
Speaker 6: To be fair, that is fully accurate. The NYPD counter Terrorism Bureau investigates things all over the world.
Speaker 11: But it's like just let if it's interstate, let the FEDS handle it.
Speaker 6: Their jurisdiction is fucking bonkers. They're like the third biggest that counter terrorism like law enforcement group in the entire world.
Speaker 11: It's like one of the world's largest standing armies.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, it is. It is absurd, they say. Quote the clubs operate as recruitment centers. They lure in a young white men under the guise of getting fit while indoctrinating them in racist ideology and training them in military combat unquote. Now, the training that people receive in active clubs very often does not equal military combat training. In fact, they often have very poor fitness regiments and really bad advice on how to get fit.
Speaker 11: I mean, if getting hooked on gear and rolling around on the floor shirtless with the boys is military combat training, then absolutely.
Speaker 6: If you look at the there's a pretty sensive docks of some of the active club members in the state of Georgia last year, and they were their fitness information was not up to stuff. They were mostly seventeen year olds who were arguing about different ways to like lift better anyway. Lawn Order says that these active clubs are quote trying to build an army. It's the new face of hate unquote a very kind of retro slogan. We don't really use that anymore, but if you look like ten years ago or like, yeah, around ten years ago, you would see a lot of like liberal articles talking about the new face of hate. Quote no more white sheets or burning crosses. They've adapted and created a facade to mask their racist beliefs unquote. So the DA wants their undercover guy to testify to secure the conviction against one of the active club members, but the counter Terrorism Bureau doesn't want to blow their nine month undercover operation even for a murder conviction, as they've quote recently received credible intel that Kovak is now stock pile a leg of firearms and explosive materials unquote.
Speaker 11: So they should probably go ahead and arrest him for that.
Speaker 6: Huh yeah, yeah, right, it's time to move I guess now they're combining like active club stuff with some like Adam Woffen and militia stuff, just like throat, just just smushing together all these different groups into one like mega boogeyman. I guess quote these men are terrorists. They're capable of significant violence unquote. So the counter Terrorism Burero suggests that the DA takes a quote big picture of view of the situation unquote. So the DA breaks the news to the prosecution team that the undercover will be unable to testify because the active club is quote planning a coordinated attack along the lines of the January sixth insurrection unquote.
Speaker 11: So you should probably like the undercover operation is over, Like if you have credible intel that there's an imminent attack, like the operation is over.
Speaker 6: So also like this is just not what active clubs do, Like this is like they don't care about J six. That's like a proud boy thing and some militia dude. It's like most active club members would be like, no, all of the J six people are like fucking like conservative like Trump Trump, brain dead losers.
Speaker 2: They're like, it's.
Speaker 11: Really that thing a couple of years ago where those members of the base were arrested right before they were going to try to kick off the Civil War by inciting they were going to shoot into the crowd at the gun rally in Richmond at the Virginia Gun and then the plan was that everyone would start shooting each other.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 11: It's like, so they had a pretty large stockpile of weapons that one of the guys was Canadians, So like maybe they got mixed up with that the base.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like they're combining elements of the bass Adam offfin active clubs, proud boys into this like mega boogeyman, right, just a villain. The DA says that this new attack will quote only be more violent and without advance warning this time.
Speaker 11: What do you mean without advanced warning?
Speaker 6: He just says, no, right, right, let this happen.
Speaker 11: The greater good is for us to allow this to occur.
Speaker 6: The undercover investigation cannot be jepridized in any way. But as this looks more and more like a racially targeted murder, according to the DA, the DA's office is to find a different way to show that Brandon is racist. Quote it's for the greater good a phrase, a phrase that Hugh Dancy says helps justify a lot of otherwise unjustifiable positions. And true, they started getting into this kind of debate around like the ethics of like doing a long term infla tration operation versus seeing like a like like an active like like seeing an active threat, or like seeing a way to like currently clamp down on a like arm of an organization, even if they can't get the whole thing yet, and they have this debate like is it is it better to like do like a long term strategy or to like just like chop off as many limbs as we can as we go on and again, it doesn't make sense because if they have all this credible intel, why not just like get them right now? But like what I wrap it up? So back in court, mister Kovak is on the stand. Hugh Dancy asks if he and the defendant have ever discussed quote, racial ideology, to which Kovac says, I don't know what that means. Believable the Probible. I mean, yeah, that is the correct answer for this situation. The prosecutor elaborates racial purity into racial marriage, what role black people should or shouldn't have in society, and Kovac once again feigns ignorance. Hugh Dancy asks about Kovacs eighty eight to tattoo being a Nazi symbol and Kovec just says, I don't know, I just like the number eighty eight, and then he doesn't.
Speaker 11: The prosecutor doesn't explain to the jury, no, does it means Kyle Hitler.
Speaker 6: He just he just moves on. Never once in the episode is it explained that the eighty eight symbol me is a reference to high Hitler.
Speaker 11: Never ever actually say it, never say it. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Dancy does bring up mister Kodak's for prior convictions for assaulting black men, two of which were charged as hay crimes, and Kovec just says, that was a long time ago.
Speaker 11: And now see, I do want to say, because you made such a big deal about it earlier, about how you can't ask about prior convictions. I think in this case it is an allowable exception because it goes to direct impeachment, Like if he said, like, yeah, you know, he made a statement himself about how he's not racist, and you say, well, you have a hate crime conviction.
Speaker 6: And later in the court room he says that he of course obviously doesn't have any problems with black people when being a questioned by the defense attorney, but Hugh Dancy pulls up Kovak's social media accounts, all of which contained the phrase blood and soil in his bio objection relevance. The prosecution then argues that Rebecculaski's testimony of hearing something about blood and dirt may have been a vague recollection of hearing blood and soil.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 6: Dancy describes bud and soil as a Nazi reference to a racially uniform society.
Speaker 11: The jury would not have been allowed to hear this. This happened outside the presence of the jury.
Speaker 6: Kovaca says, the phrase means that you're proud of who you are and where you come from. Kovac taught the defendant how to fight, how to do a choke hold, so to end the questioning, Hugh Dancy asks if he also taught the defendant to hate black people. Objection objection, all right, So, The defense's closing argument frames the subway as a dangerous, lawless zone and Brandon as a peaceful elementary school teacher who has never gotten as much as a speeding ticket.
Speaker 11: Probably because he doesn't dry.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because you live in New York. Uh who saw someone in danger and bravely decided to step up and do something. The prosecution's closing argument frames Brandon Arnaut as a closeted racist who saw an opportunity to put his white supremacist ideology into practice in a situation where he thought he could get away with it. Quote. People like mister Arnaud keep their bigotry buttoned up. They only discuss it that people who share their hateful worldview. They rely on plausible deniability because if the racism isn't overt, many good people are all too happy to assume it isn't there. But every once in a while, in moments of panic or anger, the mask will slip unquote. Hugh Dancy closes by saying that Ellis Joyner was an innocent, unarmed black man suffering a medical emergency, and the two white people on the train assumed he was a violent threat, and they attacked him. And even if there was no intention to kill at the start quote, at some point, the defendant's focus shifted and his racial hate began to manifest unquote, yelling blood and soil at Joiner quote a declaration of hatred for all people of color unquote, as Brandon choked him to death.
Speaker 11: Okay, here's the thing, here's the thing. This whole situation with the undercover the counter terrorism. I have to believe that they're trying to set up a longer plot arc that that's going to come back in a later episode or so. They have a new spin off called Law and Order Organized Crime with Christopher Maloney Elliott Stabler from SVU. So I wonder if they're going to cross it over to organized crime, because it makes no sense.
Speaker 6: That's what I assume. I think this white national group is going to come back and be even a bigger plot point in a future episode. Otherwise, it didn't need to be in here. Otherwise the inclusion in this in this piece is really bizarre.
Speaker 11: So but no, so, but what I was going to say is they did not need that undercovers testimony because the only testimony they wanted to elicit it from him was like as a character witness to say like, oh, yeah, I've met him and he's racist. That wouldn't really even be admissible in most like like even if the even if the judge allowed the jury to hear that, like, this isn't a hate crime case, it doesn't matter. What matters is whether or not he used excessive, like more force than was necessary for a self defense argument.
Speaker 6: The entire legal strategy they shift to halfway through the corproateceedings is so obviously a dead end that doesn't actually relate.
Speaker 11: To and wouldn't have been allowed.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's so it's so bizarre.
Speaker 11: And if they wanted to and if they wanted to get information about like his views that maybe his family didn't know about that people at work didn't know about, why did they not get warrants for his phone and computer?
Speaker 6: I mean, I think they did because they mentioned in searching through his phone and computer multiple times through the.
Speaker 11: Episode, found that he had searched for like how to delete from cloud or whatever from the guy's phone.
Speaker 6: But like again, I think that's mostly just like undercooked.
Speaker 11: He didn't open like his telegram account to see what exactly.
Speaker 6: You didn't see the active club chat season. You didn't see like you didn't talk to any other members of the Combat Academy, no other members of the gym really anyway, So the jury finds the defendant not guilty because yeah, okay, outside the courtroom, the head DA says, quote, we did the best that we could.
Speaker 11: Here's another problem. There's another problem. So not all states allow this, but in New York, the court can submit to the jury what are called lesser included charges. So if you're charged with murder two I think was what they charged him with his case, you know, the jury can deliberate on the actual charge murder too, but they can also consider what are called lesser included charges, so something like manslaughter. So the jury can say, well, we're not going to convict on murder. Tube we do think it was manslaughter, so we're going to convict on that, even though that wasn't the charge in the indictment. So I can't imagine that this DA would not have pushed for lesser included charges.
Speaker 6: Well, Hugh Dancy may agree. He says, quote, no, we could have done better. We just chose not to for the greater good.
Speaker 11: No, but they they could.
Speaker 6: I think I think he said that kind of sarcastically. The the DA affirms that one day soon they will take down the whole racist organization. But behind the the to the two days here Brandon walks out of the courtroom and celebrates with the other members of the Active Club. End of episode.
Speaker 11: Okay, so but when they when they put Kovac on the stand and they were saying like, oh, like, did you teach him about racism. The better line of questioning at that moment would have been, Okay, you're his grappling coach, did you teach him how dangerous choke holts are?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 11: Because, like, I don't know anything about a choke holds. If I accidentally killed someone with one, maybe I didn't know that would happen. If you are taking five hours a week of private hand to hand combat lessons, you probably do know, and that would go to you know, foreknowledge, and like, why didn't why didn't they ask that?
Speaker 6: Again? I started this episode because I thought it would be about active clubs, and it turns out by the end it's really not.
Speaker 11: It's really about Daniel Penny.
Speaker 6: It's really about the killing of Jordan Neely. So this is the actual rip from the headline's piece that they're doing, which I did not really realize until the episode was over. So this is kind of riffing on the incident that happened on May first, twenty twenty three. Jordan Neely was a thirty year old black man. He was Michael Jackson impersonator. At the time. He was homeless. He was running the subway in Manhattan and appeared emotionally distressed. He was yelling about needing food and water. No one was helping him. He was yelling that he didn't care about going to jail. He was ready to die, and this was reportedly frightening other writers. Daniel Penny, a twenty four year old former marine, approached Neely and placed him in a lethal chocold that lasted anywhere from five to seven minutes, depending on if you ask the prosecution or the defense. Penny was repeatedly told by other writers that Neely appeared to be dying. By the time first aid was being administered, he was already dead. Daniel Penny was let go after being questioned by police, and only arrested eleven days later. I think this is the part where they're like, do we want to let them go or charge him now? I think that's kind of what they're doing here. On June fourteenth, twenty twenty three, he was indicted on a charge of second degree manslaughter. The trial scheduled to start on October eighth, twenty twenty four. So this episode also, I think it fails in a lot of ways in this depiction of active clubs. It uses certain terms, like the term active clubs, which I was surprised they just I'm surprised they use because that's kind of a more of like a niche term, but they just made it to be this like MMA elite Nazi squad. And I think them trying to include this bit does an incredible disservice to trying to depict the killing of Jordan Neely, which, first of all, like there's already problematic aspects of right of turning this this like really fucked up thing into a piece of entertainment. That's kind of why I started this episode with that monologue. But I think by cramming so many other elements in here, like this, like this homophobia angle, this this this active club angle, it does a real disservice to the actual incident that they're trying to comment on, where there was a man in a very crowded subway who very publicly was basically lynched because a few writers were not super comfortable when riding the subway because this man was yelling for food and water. So it's not great, But after watching Leave the World Behind Civil War on this, I think this is the best depiction of our current political moment out of all of those three things, which is a pretty fucked up bar. I guess, Molly, do you have any other thoughts on how they depict Nazi stuff in this?
Speaker 11: I mean not well, not well, bitch, uh no. The I was just gonna say, I was looking on Reddit and seeing people's people's takes on it on the Law and Order Reddit, and I found this fantastic comment. They did take the Daniel Penny case but change the whole story to make Penny look guilty, probably to make the real Penny look like a bad guy in real life.
Speaker 6: Objection, objection, objection in your honor, object mods mods not yeah, not great because also yeah, it also like for people who are like looking at this as a parallel to Jordania, like oh, why do they change so many details to make him look even more guilty, and like, no, that's not what's happening at all.
Speaker 11: Like I think they did a disservice to that story by changing so many elements. I mean, like you said, there's there's a conversation to be had about the ethics of depicting the story as entertainment period. Yeah, but if they're going to do it, and they've been doing it for thirty years, right, that's just what Law and Order does. If they're going to do it, I think they have a responsibility to not do this, to not do this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well again, they have bigger fish to fry since there's that upcoming worse than January sixth attack head led by these MMA guys who are stockpiling this explosive, so watch out for that, I guess.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I guess I'll have to watch the rest of the season to see if the MMA gym blows up New York.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I will not be until they release a direct follow up, So I think that doesn't for us today. This is already way too This episode's already long episode. It's already longer the Law and Order episode, So that doesn't for us today. Thank you for listening. If you want to check out my review of Civil War, it's very short, but it's kind of to the point. I'm on letterboxed at Hungry bow Tie, and then the reviews that I liked, which are underneath my own review, go into more depth about kind of the problems with that film in my opinion and other people's opinion. Anyway, Where can people find you online? Molly Oh?
Speaker 11: I am on Twitter at Socialist Dog Mom and my newsletter The Devil's Advocates on Ghost and Think Us. That's it for me. Oh, I'm podcasting sometimes now, no objections for me. Yeah, I guess by the time you're listening to this, you can listen to my latest episode the show yesterday.
Speaker 6: All right, see you on the other side.
Speaker 5: Hi, everyone, and welcome to the show. It to me James today, and I'm joined by doctor maung Zani, who's an activist and scholar with thirty five years of experience advocating against genocide and for freedom and Burma and one of the founding members of the anarchist activist platform Forces of Renewal Southeast Asia. Welcome to the show, doctor Journey.
Speaker 7: Yeah, thank you so much. Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: A pleasure to have you here. So and also I should mention Nobel Peace Prize nominee as of as yesterday or the day before the congratulations on that.
Speaker 6: Also, yeah, thanks so much.
Speaker 7: It happened in January, before the deadline, and so I just released the announcement you know for the Burmese New Year you know occasion, because yes, you know, the country has been torn apart by you know, armed revolutions genocide, the racism, anti Muslim violence, and so thought like this may be a tiny sliver or positive thing. And so if activists want to have, you know, there's some sustenance for their grassroots revolution, here's somebody who's who has been grassroots for thirty five years. So that's why I released it. But that's you know, the secondary anyway.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, it's if it can get the world to look at what's happening and pay attention, then I think it's a good thing. So one thing I wanted to ask you about today to start off with, is something that when I talk to people in the US and the UK about the revolution and the cure in Meanma, the context of like ultranationalist Buddhism is one that is very hard, I think for people who don't have a great understanding of how that works to understand. So I was wondering if we could start off with you explaining like this, this long and painful history of like ultranationalist Buddhism in Myanmar and how it's empowered the genocide of Muslim people and also the hunter today.
Speaker 7: Well, when we talk about you know, ultra nationalism or various strengths of nationalism. I think we need to periodize or put in different historical periods because you know, the term nationalism was a progressive, emancipatory ideological umbrella when the local society or primarily Buddhists and also other people, but the majority political systems were built on the foundation of Buddhism in Burma, you know, like different kingdoms. But when when when we were under the British for one hundred and twenty four years, the you know internally warring Buddhist kingdoms, you know, like Rakine and Morn and Burmese and Sean, they all at Buddhist kingdoms and they formed this oppositional ideological identity as you know, nationalists Buddhists that would confront the alien colonial British rule. So in that sense, you know, nationalism was not a bad thing at all because it was you know, primarily for image concipatory struggle. But then like you know, then fast forward post colonial independence period nineteen forty eight onward. Right when when the British rule was removed at the end of the Second World War three years after the the oppositional Buddhist nationalists, you know, umbrella identity collapse, right so Raklines want to full ground their ethnic city given that the main oppositional commonality, the colonial colonialism, was no more. And so that's when the ethnicity was reinjected, you know, into the ideological formation. And interestingly, as you would know as well, the end of the Second World War was followed by the Coal War, right. And on the one hand, like you've got you know, godless communists, atheistic Russia, a Soviet Union and in China. And then on the other hand, you know, essentially Christian West, you know, or at least allegedly Christian West. And in that context, the alternationalism was essentially encouraged to buy the by the United States and allies. You know, like if you that this is nothing new. If you look at the rights of like a socialist governments across the Middle East, you know, primarily Muslim Middle East, you would find like the rights of Muslim brotherhood and you know what we call today fundamentalist islamicist right, but that you know, the Buddhist with at no central orientation were encouraged you know, by the United States through grants and aid. The same way like you know, the rights of you know, fundamentalist Islam was encouraged or or midwifi with the US money. Because this is important because through the eyes of the coal war strategists, the only way that egalitarian leftist ideologies could be confronted was through this, the faith based ideology. So I don't want I'm not saying that the Burmese nationalists and also nationalists were not responsible for their own growth. But I also what I'm saying is that there was a larger global context in which this monster was hatched. Yes, and so, but even you know, like the going back to the nineteen thirties, after the War Street collapse, you know, then like you know, the the recession pervaded across the world, and colonial economies like Burma with massive agricultural explorer economy, the British founded expedient to basically turn to a religious divide and rule, and like you know, the Burmese Buddhist laboring classes were pitted against the Indian laboring classes of different religions, but that was more like the Buddhist nationalists and non nationalists versus you know, like what we were called today migrant laborers from India, you know, under the because we were part of British Empire. After the British left, the Muslims began to be scapegoaded, and then finally I think like the we cannot understand yes, you know very well the nationalism or alter nationalism without some kind of political organization. And that organization is what we call Burmese political or state, whether it's controlled by the civilian elected politicians or the military military as an organization, political state's always there, whether it's you know, fascism in Nazi Germany or Italy or Japan or like you know, the genocidal Mimah about fifteen years ago. State was the engine. Actually it's not the people that were generating this toxic ideology. It was state that was inventing, manipulating and mobilizing towards their sinister end.
Speaker 5: Right Yeah, And it's the divide and rules strategy and the full I guess the falling back to this these kind of colonial methods of rule is something that I guess I want people to understand is still happening in Burma or Myanmar. Right we see the military that the junta doing it right now, right like attempting to ferment inter ethnic conflicts to prevent the formation of a popular front or a coalition against against their rule.
Speaker 7: Right, yes, I think the here the one observation I want to make is a you know, independence from Britain, restoration of say like you know, more than form of sovereignty to Burmese people was not a clean break from the colonial past. Because the state in Burma as it exists or it has existed over the last seventy plus years, remains a colonial state. It was an instrument of economic exploitation or racialized or ethnicized administration. And all the security laws and you know, ordinances and whatnot, they were formulated with the interest of the ruling colonial interests or power like at the time British and what the what independence did was really transfer of this internally racialized entity we call state from the white man's hand to the Brahman's hand, you know, the Burmese. So so when when you the state wasn't actually finding it difficult to foment racial or inter we don't use the term race here, inter ethnic conflict or inter religious conflict. The state itself embodied this divide and rule outlook because it remains internally colonial, you see what I mean? And so so I think that it isn't simply the policies of the you know, X y Z regimes that have rude Burma since independence. But the state itself is conducive to, or you know, supportive of this kind of inter religious and inter ethnic contest because there there are no principles of equality as as ethnic or religious communities or there there there was no sense of you know, horizontal or vertical fairness among the political class and the majoritarian agrarian communities, and so the state is self problematic. Yeah, that's why, like you know that when ol San Suci came to you know, semi power, because the military is still controlled or backseat drove for a regime, she found it really difficult to maneuver because she was straight jacketed in this you know internally colonial shell.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 7: And then so so I think, of course, like you know, you're it's correct what the military is doing now, say in Racine State, where they committed genocide against Rainia Muslims. You know, they drove out you know, close to eight hundred thousand Rohindas of genocidally across the border to Bangladesh in two thousand and seventeen and also sixteen. They are now army and training, and you know, forcively conscripting able body young Rhindja men into their ranks and to fight the progressively militarily stronger recind Buddhist Arakan army. That's just one area. But you know, if you look at other regions like shun Stay, for instance, there's an extremely complex ethnic contestations happening. Right, so what like political scientists call like a horizontal violence is taking place, and so it's like there are multiple conflicts at work, you know, but of course like the military is number one, you know, problem maker, but they're also lesser evil forms of like political and ethnic conflicts taking place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think, yeah, it's very much against Shan states. I think particularly complicated and interesting as we look at the situation now in the different like both in the liberated areas or the areas without control of the like NAPI or state that they may still be controlled kind of in a sense by other kind of like pseudo states. I guess are you familiar with this? There's this argument? I think it's probably like articulated. I'm sure you are articulated, most notably by James C. Scott of like and he looks at the example of me and Ma has been rightly criticized in some areas of like the mountains, as an area where people can I guess, choose to opt out of the state or or to be where the state is not completely consolidated, I guess, and never has been.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know, I know Gym's work, you know, like the the he divides people into valleys and you know, mountains. You know what's interesting is like you know, it's it's it's a lot more complex than this, you know, the the dualistic understanding of like hill people versus plain people, because you know, like even in the in the hills that there are you know, highlands and and and there are plateaus and.
Speaker 6: You know the you know and so.
Speaker 7: But also I think like that I find it more useful to look at this not through geographic lens, but through the colonial lens, because you've got the colonial state, because like you know, Gym is essentially anti status. But as a matter of value, yeah, I am with him, you know, because I'm bent on the anarchism as my value, you know. But analytically, I think, but given the fact that the colonial state continues to live on and continue to haunt the Burmese society. I think, like the way I look at it is like you know, center and peripheree, right, irrespective of the altitude. I mean, at this point, like altitudes no longer really strategically important because you know, we're we live in the age of drones and like you know, MiG twenty nine and sixteen, mountains are no longer cover you see what I mean, right, Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, the construct of the mountains as like nonstate space or place where you can go to choose to be nonstate. I think like it's interesting to hear young Bamar PDFs fighters now be like, oh, I chose to go to the mountains, even though it sits very much alongside that Canelian analysis that you had of like the wild people or like quote unquote savagery, right, which or when I speak to Bamar people who are like twenty one now who joined the PDFs at eighteen seventeen after the coup, they had all been very much indoctrinated with the idea of non Bamar people as quote savages or wild people who lived in the quote mountains or jungles, and like choosing to go there to escape the state. I think it's really interesting to hear like that analysis reproduced in their storytelling of their own lives.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I think you know that it has been in the Burmese political psyche. You move away from the Senate and you are more autonomous, and you are you know, freer from the right, you know, the reach of the center, right, because we we still have this center periphee mentality. Yeah, I mean you know culturally, yes, you're absolutely right. Uh, the way people in the center, like the group that I belong to, Burmese Buddhist majority, we look down on people that are on the periphree right, that the way people dress. I mean it's also like you know, the rural and urban divide as well, you know, the even like those who grew up in the in the non majoritarians, you know regions, you know what I call it, the peripherys of the Burmese colonial state. When they settle in Rangoon or Mandally or or you know major urban areas, they they begin to dress, they begin to I mean, they necessarily adapt to the the the Burmese way of life, the majority dominant you know, customs and whatnot, and so so I still stick with the you know this whole colonial relations the organizationally and psychologically. The yeah, I mean also that we have the vocabulary. If you want to oppose a central state or the central regime, we say, we take refuge in the forest, right, And we take refuge in the forest or under the tree against the scorching sun or like pouring monsoon rain right, or the evil center right. And so so it's all built in. It's in the language even you know, like organizing an armed revolt or going underground is described as taking refuge in the forest the jungle, you know. And and and what's what's interesting though, is like you know, from the state's perspective, if you're taking refuge in the in the jungle, of course, like that's treason us and you know, that is an act of criminality. But if you if you use that language, or if you if you do exactly the same thing literally physically, if you're a Buddhist monk, you know, you you are considered holier than monks that continue to live in the city, you know what I mean. So you go, you know, the forest monks versus like a city, town or village monk. Right. So this is quite a fascinating linguistic you know, twist here on one hand, like you know, but from the revolutionaries perspective, if you're in the jungle, you grow certain aura around you. You're in the jungle, right, and you don't you don't wear jeens or you don't look like city people by you're wearing you know, like the fatigue, army fatigue and you know, jungle the paraphernalia. And as a revolutionary that's like, you know, that's I check with our time.
Speaker 1: You see what I mean.
Speaker 7: Revolutions start or organize around jungles, you know, I mean, so it has nothing to do with altitude. You see what I mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's just yeah, I like that periphery colonial model.
Speaker 6: So I wonder like, I think people who.
Speaker 5: Listen to this will both be very much like amenable to anarchism and see the problems that state societies create and also to the revolution in me Emma and to the young people and then not so young people who are fighting it. I wonder like, how do we build a future for Memma that doesn't replicate this colonial corpora fhery model that doesn't the scene quiton of the state that's centered in Napidor is like the it's this use of violence to control and this colonial relationship.
Speaker 6: Right, so how do we not replicate.
Speaker 5: That in the post revolution future?
Speaker 7: Well, I think you know, there's a danger in or should I say, the romanticizing the mini states or substates, right if establishing autonomous states does not confront the colonial nature of the state from which these meaning states you know, emerge as oppositional entities. In other words, whatever administrative structures that you know, the the the current armed revolutionary organizations set up, they need to first make sure they don't replicate that the internally colonial nature of the state that they have been fighting and to some degree of like success at this point in history, right, because the coloniality is very much connected with the idea of pure ethnic identity, you see what I mean, and in this day and age, I mean whether I mean you've been to current State and other places in Burma and and you know in the Middle East at Curtis and so. But they're they're they're always like, you know, the idea of pure ethnic identity, right, even if you're a revolutionary. But but but the truth, the truth is, you know, even small places you will find Muslims and Hindus and Christians or people with different migratory histories and class background. You flettened them into a single ethnic identity, right that well, that that that in and I mean self perception, we are a new Kuran state or Karany state or Kachin state, right, even Kachin the late the term label the label Kachin in the north. You know, they have about like the three or four major groups there, and and some resent being referred to as Kitchin, but they go along because they are against the more evil CenTra, a Burmese Buddhist state, right right, so so so so so that's why when I when I explain to you, you know, at the outset of this the conversation, this like your Buddhist identities merged as an oppositional umbrella, anti colonial identity against the British when that common oppressors has gone home, and then we start fighting each other, you see what I mean? So number one, it's like you know, that is very very important. These new entities do not define their political organizations along any idea of like you know, blood and soil. Yeah, and that's very very important.
Speaker 6: Otherwise we we.
Speaker 7: We replicate what we fought against. Right. And secondly, I think no military organizations should control administrations. But at the moment, you know, with the exception of the current National Union, most other ethnically organized armed resistance organizations in Burma, when they set up administrations, you know, administrators are guys who are you know, like carrying AK forty seven or some other weapons. You see what I mean? Because like what they need to do is as soon as like that they have secure any like ancestral region, what they need to do is they need to separate law and order maintenance from the defense. Yeah, And the reason we have gotten into this bloody mess is because the military did not separate law and order administration as a civilian function function from the national defense. So the current progressively militarily successful ethnic resistance organizations have to demilitarized self consciously and as a matter of policy their new administrations. So these two things, you know, move away from blood and soil idea of identity and demilitarized and civilianize the administration.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do you have hope? Like I find when I talk to especially younger people in the PDF, who are most people are like maybe it's easier for them to see the obvious the colonial relationship and the way that these constructs have harmed them and prevented them from finding solidarity with people of other ethnic groups. That's something that like sometimes they will articulate to me, right that, like, you know, we were told these people were bad and evil and savage, and they're not, and there are allies in this fight against dictatorship. Do you think that that's replicated in the in the leadership of eros like that that idea that this blood and soil nationalism has been the blood soil identity, I should say, is something that's like a big problematic and devisive and will always be so like, do you not see that replicated so much?
Speaker 7: Well, there is still you know, the old conservative orientations in these ros with respect to two things, the acceptance of you know, younger generations into policy making circles, right yeah. And then the other one is the half of the population of these ethnic communities have remained marginalized, and that is war men, if you you know, I mean, on one hand, it does make sense that you know, men with guns and men with like you know, the fifty years of revolutionary experience are going to play leading role. But these guys have to make a conscious effort in changing their own value system, which is like, you know, bring in new generations with more progressive ideas into policy making circle, leadership circle, and bring in warming. And you know, I wish I understand I know more about the Kurdish revolutionary organizations. My own very limited understanding is that you know, gender equality, I mean, for the for the Islamophobic crowd, it might be quite shocking, but the Kurdish revolutionary organizations are you know, much more gender equal, yeah than like you know, white democratic societies.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right. And I think their analysis, if I can sort of summarize like opposed thought very is that colonialism begins in the patriarchal family, and that the first colonized subject is the woman. And therefore, if we can't decolonize off amelia and community relations, then we have little hope of decononizing ourselves as a group or as a society. So that their analysis rest in the same place as yours does. And I think that there's I think increased solidarity and communication between the Kurdish freedom movement and the resistance movements in mem which I hope can only do good for that. Like, especially with regard to gender relations, it was interesting to see the Kereni K and d F Battalian five issued a statement which said that like they had a long way to go in terms of gender relations, and they looked to the Kurdish model of example of where they can get to, which at least it gives me hope that these things can get better.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I mean K and DF is a remarkable you know organization, crenatural defense organization, right, Kranny, Kranny. I mean they are led by very progressive sort of like you know, semi anarchist type young people. Yeah, you know, the the ethnicity and gender discrimination are self consciously avoided and discouraged. Yeah. So basically, other we we cannot we cannot have a successful revolutionary movement, you know, just by trying to you know, take power from the center. You know, there has to be you know, it's an rebellion. It's different from a revolutionary movement. Revolutionary movement involves a shifting fundamentally the non progressive values and outlooks. Right. That that is something that needs to happen, and that that, in my view U is a deeply you know, intellectual psychological process. But I think I think that the the the that is happening, you know, and so the so that that that ideological progressive shift is it's going to hit the uh, the ceiling at some point because you've got old men in a decision making positions who are not who haven't bought in entirely uh, the need to shift their value system. And then partially it's not simply ideological, it's also self interest. When you're when you're the when you're the boss for twenty five years, you know, you're a little like autocredit tyrant, you know what I mean, right, organization, So shifting the you know, giving women and younger generation spaces me you know, you shutting up fifty percent of the time and letting the other you know, people speak fifty percent, you know, like they're no more like monologue for one hour, you see what I mean. Yeah, so even like you know, the airtime, you have less airtime, that's like you're less. That's your self interest your airtime, you know, let alone economic and other interests. This is just like talking in a meeting, you see what I mean. I've been through like some of some of the meetings and stuff, and so you know, like guys think that only they have important things to say, you know, especially military matters or big items, okay, like women talk about welfare of children and you know, widows kind of shit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, this is very sort of still like separate spheres gender model that I know. Yeah, I have hope for the young generation. But I remember one of the guys as I met, he told me that, like he said, he said, like three years ago, I had some gender problems, and I didn't understand what he meant, and he was like, I thought that women couldn't do things that men could do, and now I realized I was wrong. And they were telling me that the police wouldn't there there was a taboo to walk underneath a woman's lunch. Yes, so yeah, so they hung them around their protest camps when they were in Yangon fighting the police, and that the police wouldn't come in, so that you were like, oh, this is when I realized that sexism hurts everyone. So I think it's yeah, I have hope for that generation. I think it's It's been one of the things that has given me so much hope for the world in general as I've been covering the revolution in the Amma, is to see people reconstruct and change their identities in a progressive and inclusive way, and people, you know, people in this countries and the UK as well are so stuff in their sort of regressive identities. And to see young people there acknowledged that sexism, homophobia, these these racist and inter ethnic like hierarchies are damaging everyone. It's given me a great deal of hope for the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I share your optimism. And part of it is, you know, the progressives or people or younger people or like older people with progressive outlooks. I mean, everything is constructed, you know, like if you change the material situation in terms of you know, who's making decisions or you know, under what conditions decisions are made, I think that people are able to shift their thinking, you see what I mean. I mean, And so I think like that, but definitely that political leadership is very important, you know. I mean I don't I don't believe in this like a goddess idea of like a group of men, uh you know, you know, guiding guiding the herd. Right, But at the same time, I think like these older men should meet the younger generations halfway. Yeah, And I'm not saying like okay, all right, you know, like a you know, like don't trust anyone above forty because I'm sixty, so I still want to be trusted. And but yeah, I mean I'm sixty and I can take ship from eighteen year old junior friend or colleague could tell me you're full of shit. And here's the reason I listen, Right, So I assume, like other other people my age, my generation, will be able to uh do the adjustment right and especially for the better and the But but I think that said there, they are really articulate young people and women, yes, who whose voices need to come to the full like you know, like people the people I mean, like we don't live in isolation anymore. Like in the nineteen sixties and seventies and agies, Burma was very isolated and so you know, and so the ideological currents did not reach within the Burmese society. So that the type of religions or religions I mean Christianity, the type of Christian practices outlook whatnot remain like extremely conservative compared with like you know, even like a conservative like Christian country like USA, yea. And but now, like you know, with we live in the social media internet age, and so you know, young people you know use the term like intersectionality, you know what I mean. They start to see like race, class, gender and other issues, you know, like inter intersecting and then producing or reproducing or ending like different forms of you know, repression and you know, exploitations and whatnot. We still have a very very long way to go. We can't shift. But that's not not to say that, you know, we should feel like discouraged, you know, but we we We won't see instant changes.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, but I think over time, Yeah, I have an deal of a great deal of optimism for the future of Memma, doctor Sanny. It's it's been really great talking. Where can people, especially people who are interested in your work and in the future of Memma, How how can they follow along with your work and with these struggles to create a more equal and just in democratic in the non state sense Burma.
Speaker 7: I mean one. I mean, I use social media, especially like in Facebook a lot, and I begin like consciously writing in Burmese language because I don't need to inform the world, because the world know the ship that's going on in Burma, and and so I think the my Facebook's okay. But if if people read like English or even like you know, other languages you know, our own mother tongue. Uh, the the Forces of Renewal Southeast Asia four c dot com CEO. It's a good platform. We encourage and actually we seek out uh you know, very radical ideas in multiple languages Burmese or or Chin or Karani or whatever language they want to use. We don't censor anyone. They can say anything as long as they're not advocating fascist them are violence or like you know, things like that. And so yeah, I encourage to take a glandset our South East Asia Network of anarchistic activists and scholars.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, it's a great website. I'll inclear a link to it in the description. Thank you so much for your time this evening. We really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Hey, We'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 6: It could Happen here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 8: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com. But check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia, dot com, slash sources, thanks for listening.