Speaker 1: Hey, everybody's Bill Courtney with an army of normal folks. Welcome into the shop. Hi, Alex Bell, welcome in.
Speaker 2: One hundred and thirteen years ago.
Speaker 1: Hold it, this is shop Talk number one thirteen. America is running out of friends. I wonder what happened to one hundred thirteen years ago. Alex Ford introduced the I can't believe.
Speaker 3: You didn't let me intro. You let me this is this thing has a system. All right, Okay, I'm trying to wrap it up. We got an interview to go to. Okay, we'll go ahead. This is going to be a great shop talk. Don't rush it, all right.
Speaker 2: Ford introduce the moving assembly line.
Speaker 4: Now, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: That is interesting.
Speaker 1: That changed not only automation but basically manufacturing in general across the world.
Speaker 2: Yes, helped create the middle class, all kinds of things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything, lots. Yeah, it's huge.
Speaker 5: Umm oh, it dropped the Model T assembly line time. It dropped from twelve hours to two hours and forty minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's the thing you could make. You could make five vehicles in the amount of it took to make one. Yeah, it increased mass production. I mean, just think about what that meant to being able to fight a war successfully, to being able to make munitions and tanks and planes. Think about what that meant to pharmaceuticals for our health. Think about what that meant to clothing, Think about what that meant to food processing. I mean it changed the world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and re forwards the man I'm thinking of his line. You can get the Model T in any color you want, as long as it's black.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: You can have Madelty any color you want, as long as it's flack, that's right. It's so favous a car for the common man. It's where the aristocrat and the high class wealthy, wealthy wealthy transferred to anybody can own a car.
Speaker 2: That's actually a guy in Oxford who drives around a Model Tea.
Speaker 4: Is it really met?
Speaker 1: It was his name, Andry I forgot I should ask. Okay, go ahead, what else? Undred thirteen years?
Speaker 5: That's we're gonna leave it at. Yeah, things are a little political, and I don't want to go there.
Speaker 4: Okay, not even one of them.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'll mention it. Federal Reserve was created, but that's not that political. And well, there's all kinds of rabbitals you.
Speaker 2: Can go down with that.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess so.
Speaker 5: But the sixteenth and seventeenth amendments, So the federal income tax, sixteenth, seventeenth, the direction election of senators, the what direct election of senators?
Speaker 1: Right, well, that changed lots of things, and the uh, what's the first thing.
Speaker 2: He said, federal income tax?
Speaker 4: Well, I think we can all agree that one sucks. I mean that's that political. Yeah, sure, all right, here we go, all right, shop talking.
Speaker 5: One of my dad's birthday is April fifteenth, is it? So it's not only tac tax day. Lincoln was assassinated and Titanic suck and his birthday.
Speaker 2: It was birthday and my dad's you Lincoln.
Speaker 1: Huh No, dad's Titanic sunk leacoln day.
Speaker 4: And your dad was born, well he was dustined for something special apparently. Okay with me. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody, When we get backshot talking number one thirteen, America is running out of friends. All right, everybody, welcome back shop Talk number one thirteen. America is running out of friends. I'm going to read you an article by Daniel A. Cox that's titled Men's social Circles are Shrinking, and then we'll reflect on it. It was published on June twenty nine, twenty twenty one, and thus some of the COVID area references that you'll hear so understand it's five years old, but it's still appropriate today. As Americans venture back out to reclaim their social lives, a new report reveals a profound change in the nature of American friendships. One of the most important changes revealed by May American Perspectives survey is the decline of close friendships. In the past three decades, American friendship groups have become smaller, and the number of Americans without any close friends or any close confidants has risen sharply. But these changes have not affected Americans equally. Men appear to have suffered a far steeper decline than women. Thirty years ago, a majority of men fifty five percent reported having at least six close friends. Today that number has been cut in half slightly more than one in four. Twenty seven percent of men say they have six or more close friends. Today, fifteen percent of men have no friendships at all, a fivefold increase since only nineteen ninety. Women have witnessed a friendship declined to but it's been far less pronounced in nineteen ninety, roughly four and ten forty one percent of women say they add six or more close friends, compared to twenty four percent Today. Ten percent of women report having no close friends, and while having ten close friends might seem let's call it unmanageable for some, the size of our social circles appears to matter a great deal. Americans with only one close friend are not any less lonely than those with none, while those with a few are only in marginally better shape. For Americans with three or fewer close friends, loneliness and isolation are fairly common experiences. More than half say they have felt that at least once in the past seven days. In contrast, only one in three Americans with ten or more close friends report feeling lonely in the past seven days. This trend is particularly concerning for young people. Boy this is where social media comes into my mind. But anyway, as we note in our recent report, young adults and singles are unique to the extent that they rely on friends for emotional and personal support. But young men today are far more reliant on their parents than they are their friends. This is a remarkable change in social support. Nineteen ninety, nearly half forty five percent of young men reported that when facing a personal problem, they would reach out to their first to their best friends. Today, only twenty two percent One in five of young men lean on their friends in tough times. Thirty six percent say their first call is to their parents. Unfortunately, this new survey is consistent with a growing body of research. A major national survey of Americans social networks conducted last year revealed that American social circles were contracting. Nearly one in five Americans reporting having no close social connections, a double digit increase from only twenty thirteen, and young men are faring worse than most, more than one in four twenty eight percent men under the age of thirty reporting having no close social connections. A survey conducted by the Associated Press recently found that eighteen percent of the public had no more than one person outside their immediate household they could turn to for help. As the pandemic recedes, and it has receded, the American economy is recovering. Most businesses will adapt, evolve, and ultimately thrive. The future of American social life looks much bleaker. Our social circles are smaller and friendship groups are depleted, the social recovery will take much longer, or it may not happen at all. That is sobering and it is also sad as hell. And once again, it is why and army and normal folks matters. It is why the social clubs matter, is why getting involved matters, because your life gets better when you have more people in it that you can share with, celebrate with, suffer with, and rely on.
Speaker 5: Actually, I was going to share with you another club update along these lines. So the Memphis Club this last weekend did one of the Alex's lemonade stands.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they did at the Memphis Zoo, did they Yeah.
Speaker 5: They raised around eight hundred dollars, So the Zoo let them set up a stand right in front of the answer Itch.
Speaker 2: Was pretty cool.
Speaker 4: That's nice.
Speaker 5: Bolidia was in the hospital with one of her kids and Mike Hume stepped up and took care of a lot of it. And obviously the other Army members showed up and actually helped that day.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I we used bill.
Speaker 5: This tribe of people, I mean, they're living it out right there. Yeah, Mike, you know, as you know posted one of the potlucks at his house. But it gives people an opportunity to engage with each other and build these relationships, and they have a relationship now that they didn't have, you know, before the club.
Speaker 1: You know, I have a very good friend named Matt Cunningham. When Lisa and I had small children, we moved into a neighborhood out in Carterville, which is a suburb of Memphis. Everyone and he was one of the first people I met. And he has two girls, and we had four kids and they were all the same age. And then we just became family friends, went on a couple of trips together, maybe three actually, But as the kids have gotten married and moved on, and Lisa and I have moved twenty five miles away from that neighborhood and all a lot of times those kind of friendships, while they're still if you were bumping to somebody, you know, it's renewed. There's no animosity at all, no animus. But you know, those kind of friendships end up evolving into other friendships and just become old friends. Right. Matt has not let that happen. He always tacts, he always emails, He's always saying, hey, let's go play golf. He works at maintaining my friendship. And when I'm overwhelmed with everything I have going on, I'm really just so thankful just to see a text to him from him that says, hey man, we have to go get a beer, we have to go catch up, we have to go play golf.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: He doesn't say, because you know we're friends, and you know you're supposed to stay in country. If he didn't say that, he doesn't put that on me. He just says, you know, he's just kind of he works. He has worked for fifteen years at maintaining that friendship, not because he wants anything from me, but just because he cares, because he's a good friend. And I'm going to tell you something, if they hit the today, he would be one of the people I called because I know his heart. I know as a friend, and I do have some other friends like that. And I think, how as I'm reading this, I was thinking who's my friends in my brain? And I'm thinking, against the backdrop of these data, how I guess fortunate I am that I do have probably eight to ten of those type of friends, And how lonely it must be if you don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and the other type. We should actually do a shop talk on this. Arthur Brooks has been kind of making the point recently, like so many of us have these business relationships with people that aren't like really friends, Like we need to go and make friends that can't do anything for us.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Business relationships can be friends, but oftentimes those are associates. Those are you know, friends supposed to go spend. Friendships should have nothing to do with money or how somebody can help you advance or whatever. It's just if you interact with that you share common goals with. But most importantly, but we can share your problems with and your success is with that will legitimately be happy for you. Zig Ziggler said this.
Speaker 2: Go back and listen to our shop talk on zig Ziggler.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go back, he said this. He said, outside your closest group of friends, with everybody in the world. Share your give up goals with everyone, and share your go up goals with no one. And what that means is use the human condition to help yourself. If you share your give up goals with everyone, I'm going to quit drinking, I'm going to stop coffee, I'm going to give up sweets. I'm going to quit smoking. Whatever you're going to give up, share them with everyone. Because here's why. The minute those people see you eat a sweet or have a beer or whatever it is you're trying to give up, their human condition will come out and they will be very quick to remind you, Oh, I thought you were going to quit. You know that's not a friend, right, A friend would be supportive. And then he said, share your go up goals with nobody. If you want to get ahead in your business, if you want to get the next promotion, if you want to make more money, if those your goals, don't share them with anyone outside of your family and you're very tight close circle. Because here's the thing. Other people will be jealous and other people might do in your business, might do what they can do to keep you from getting there because that's what they also want.
Speaker 2: So I remind you that they have not reached it.
Speaker 1: Or remind you, or they step on your mind. So you share your give up goals that they and you share your go up goals with no one outside of your close circle friend. So here's a good barometer. If someone is worthy of knowing your go up goals and would support you in it, they're probably worthy of being your friend. If there's someone who might not aid in that, well, then that's an associate. Yeah, A good way to think about it.
Speaker 5: I think my final thing and then we should wrap. But uh, I was thinking about this the other day and I thought about it when you were talking. Bob Mozakowski had a really good line, and he's like, when you do some good with somebody, and you're talking about the West Side Little League, You've built the largest inner city little league in the country. He's like in Chicago. Yeah, and he's like, when you see them again, just out in public, it's a different kind of handshake. Yeah, and often it's a different kind of hug.
Speaker 4: Really, like, we that's interesting.
Speaker 2: We did some good together.
Speaker 5: It's not just somebody you saw like, we actually did some like and I feel the same thing with people we do the bed building with, Like, we did some good together, and it's a different type of relationship.
Speaker 1: Bob is one of the most unique human beings on the face of the planet.
Speaker 2: If you haven't heard the episode, you got to listen.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: If there is an episode you if you want to laugh and be inspired, go back and listen.
Speaker 4: To that episode. He's hilarious. Okay, guys, we got to go. So here's the deal.
Speaker 1: If you liked this episode, for gosh sakes, share it with somebody, Share it with your friends on social, subscribe to the podcast, rate it, review it. Join the Army at Normalfolks dot org. Join or start one of our local service clubs. Go to our website and take the ten level challenge and buy some merch Do any of this, Do any of this stuff that will help us grow an army and normal folks.
Speaker 4: I'm Bill Courtney. Until next time. Do it you can