Speaker 1: From Mahart where Innovation, Money and power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlow.
Speaker 3: Live from San Francisco. This is Bloomberg Technology coming up. I sit down with the CEO of Lyft, president of Shopify, and COO of Reddit, and we break down those companies' earnings results. Plus we stick with earnings as Airbnb sees a record plunge on a week outlook, and we dig into Disney as the Mousehouse offers a mixed picture in its earnings. Let's check in on the markets and as that one hundred up for a second consecutive day by actually, no, I take that back, I'm wrong. It's down two tens of percent. How things can change this session. The story right there is really about monetary policy, you know, And on a three day basis, we're flat, we're slightly hiring the session. We're still thinking about Monday and the selloff that happened on growth concerns and monetary policy intervention. So overnight, the bank in Japan basically said we won't intervene with a rate hike in the event that markets are unstable, and that's kind of having it not much to do with tech. There's one big tech name that is moving and that's Airbnb.
Speaker 4: Check out this chart.
Speaker 3: So in the session, Airbnb is on track for its biggest drop ever.
Speaker 4: We're worried about the outlook.
Speaker 3: We're worried about what Airbnb had to say about its peak holiday season, even though some executives took to the social medias to tell us things, all right, let's talk about Airbnb and bringing Bloomberg's man Deep Sing, senior analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence. So what they said was moderation sequentially of growth, and the growth wasn't that good in the courts have gone. So if you extrapolate, you're basically saying, hold on, this is the best time of year normally for Airbnb, the summer months. We're worried about what they're saying about business traffic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, and you're right.
Speaker 5: I mean, given its Olympics and you know, a lot going on in terms of holiday planning. They talked about shortening booking windows. And to me, you know, the biggest risk with Airbnb is not that they don't have a great mode. It's more about the saturation in the alternative accommodation's market and whatever new products that they have launched, whether it's rooms or experiences which they have had for a while, hasn't really driven incremental growth. So what they told us last night was look, the room night growth will be mid single digit and EBITDA growth will actually taper off because they plan to invest more to expand supply in new areas in Latin America and Asia pack and I think all those are signs towards you know, penetration being high in their existing markets and they just have to find new markets if they want to keep growing in alternative accommodations, or perhaps they need to make an acquisition, which I want to all out given the strength of Airbnb's balance sheet.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Mandy, your stocks down twelve to fourteen percent, the most on record. What do you do if you're the CEO? You go on social media and say it's a great time to buy. Would you agree with Brian Sheesky's thesis here?
Speaker 5: I mean, he had a floor last night and during the earnings call to talk about the plans, and nothing we heard was very exciting. Look, long term, as I said, this company has a great mode. It clearly is a category leader in alternative accommodations, but can it keep growing double digits? And I think there are question marks they can do it at least in the next two to four.
Speaker 3: Quarters, Bloomberg's Mandep saying at Bloomberg Intelligence, thank you.
Speaker 4: I want to get more on the market.
Speaker 3: Outlook is equities trade broadly in the green with Bloomberg's Emily Graffeo. You know, I don't know about you, m I'm kind of recovering a bit from Monday's the trauma of a near three percent decline on the Nasdaq one hundred. But in the market there's the growth concern, there's the central bank policy concern, and then there's probably earnings. What's the outlook of all of that in aggregate.
Speaker 6: Well, the outlook is that the volatility is not expected to subside, even though we are seeing this market rally yesterday and at least today. When you look at the Vicks volatility index, typically when we see a spike like we did on Monday, that means that for the next several trading sessions and even up to weeks, we'll see these big up days and these big down days. What's interesting this is Bloomberg Technology we'd been talking so much about a rotation into smaller cap names value names a few weeks ago, and we're actually kind of seeing that trade disappear now now that markets are rallying. Technology stocks are rallying the most. You look at the Nasdaq one hundred at least today, up almost two percent. The Russell two thousand, which was outperforming tech, is only up about zero point eight per right now. So you know, a few days ago we were talking about, oh, is tech no longer a safe haven? Is that no longer a place that investors want to hide? But it actually seems like we are still seeing an appetite to buy those megacap tech stocks.
Speaker 3: And we remind our audience in Vidia doesn't report until August twenty eight, then everyone's kind of treading water till that point. Bloomberg's Emily Graffeo, thank you very much. Aside from this week's massive sell off, some of the world's biggest equity hedge funds lost hundreds of millions of dollars from piling in to popular tech stocks. Amid the stock route that hit markets in around mid July, Bloomberg Temma Palmer has been tracking it. There are some specific single names in that industry who were probably more hit than others.
Speaker 4: Who are they and what happened?
Speaker 7: Yes, so we saw a lot of pain over at Light Street, down nine percent and one month alone of July, still up forty for the year, but definitely a difficult month for them. That's likely due to their very big position in the video As of March, that stock for about seventeen percent of their portfolio. They also have sizeable stakes and other of the Magnificent seven. When we look across the world, you know the hedge fund space, specifically when it comes to the equity funds, you do see this concentration in Microsoft, Amazon, Navidio, and some of the other big tech names that have really struggled this month.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's hemmapalma with the data and the hedge fund ownership of big tech.
Speaker 4: Really appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 3: Coming up on Bloomberg Technology, we're going to be joined by Reddits COO Gen Wong to discuss the company's results and their outlook for sales growth and interesting conversation. Gen really at the heart of some of the deals that Reddit is doing. One other name that I'm looking at is in the chip sector, Micron in particular, let's bring up the stock and take a look at it. There's several stories out there, one of largely around share buybacks. The company basically saying that they may resume a stock buyback program to offset some dilution from their employee stock comp programs.
Speaker 4: The stock up two point seven percent.
Speaker 3: Remember we've covered this really in the context of high bandwidth memory recently, but also it's one that is in a lot of end markets, smartphones, d ram and nan flash being one as well.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 3: Reddit beat analysts expectations on sales growth after expanding its data licensing partnerships and investing in new advertising technology. The company's revenue forecast for the third quarter also beat estimates. Delighted to say that Reddit's COO Gen Wong joins us live here on Bloomberg Technology. You know that the stock is lower an impressive set of numbers for a relatively newly public company, and everyone's kind of looking at the outlook and trying to extrapolate out understand the world that Reddit's operating in. Could you just get us a sense, Jen, in your conversations with advertisers, what the rest of the year looks like, the environment looks like, and why Reddit may or may not fare better with those advertisers compared to other social media platforms.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thanks for having me look at the markets of the markets. But when we look forward to the back half of the year, I think advertising is a pretty stable market, and what drives our growth is what drive our growth in Q two, which is delivering against our consumer and ad roadmap and continue to drive value for advertisers. So I think what's driven our user growth has been the work of making Reddit better, making it easier access posts, easier for people to connect with communities, easier for mods to do their moderation. And that's when we make the platform better, the users grow. And from an advertising perspective, it's been all the investments we made in our ad platform to improve usability and scalability so that we can address and serve more advertisers and grow the advertising base. Next is delivering quarter over quarter performance for our advertisers, and then delivering things that only Ready can do that are ready unique, like they ask me anything, format refresh, or testing things like ads and comments. Those strategies are working for us and will continue executing against that roadmap.
Speaker 10: As we head into the back half of the year, and we feel really good about the yield on that roadmap.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jen, you've been very busy since last week spoke, I think principally about the deals with NBA NFL. What I'm trying to understand is how those kind of video focused partnerships contribute to your ad revenue or ad growth going forwards from this point.
Speaker 9: So, Reddit is home to an incredible group of fan communities, and the sports communities are some of the most active engaged on the platform, and they're global, and so the idea of having those partnerships with the sports leagues was to bring in special content like highlights, like access to players for amas or to insiders, for those communities to enjoy. So that is really our starting place for it. Now what's great is that does create an opportunity for advertisers.
Speaker 10: To support that content.
Speaker 9: Some of those advertisers support that content and are aligned with that content on other platforms like television, et cetera.
Speaker 4: So it is a.
Speaker 9: Really nice win win win for users and communities and Reddit and advertisers. It's early, it's a program that we're testing, and we've done some work with the NFL.
Speaker 10: Now we've expanded it to more leagues.
Speaker 9: We are excited about it because I think the communities are excited about getting access to that content. And if you think about it, you know, we've done partnerships with US based leagues, but there are so many more sports and so many more global leagues that we could engage with. And then the fan communities, they go beyond sports.
Speaker 10: On Reddit, there a gem.
Speaker 3: I am a I am a long serving, suffering and passionate Chelsea fan in football what you'd call soccer, and I dive deep into Reddit when I want to see what the fan base wants to know you. And I've discussed previously licensing of data to the AI companies Google Open Ai, but a few months have elapse and I'm wondering if you now have a better sort of vision for the long term potential of that business model away from advertising.
Speaker 9: Look, I think that landscape is still emerging and it's still early days for for AI, so it's a long arc. We've been I think, very thoughtful about how we structure partnerships.
Speaker 10: Our view. They're not one year, they're not long term.
Speaker 9: They're sort of midterm partnerships that allow us to learn and find a way to work with this new area.
Speaker 10: And see how it goes.
Speaker 9: So I don't think, you know, I think we still continue to learn in this process because I think it's a very long mark. I do think some of the things that we've done have established a foundation for having these partnerships. So if you look at our public content policy and you look at the changes.
Speaker 10: That we've made, I think we've made it really.
Speaker 9: Clear how we want the ecosystem work because we are stewards of Reddit data and user privacy, etc. Is really important in allowing scaled access to Reddit disk.
Speaker 4: Jen.
Speaker 3: When I sit at my computer in the morning, I use various search functions. It's often a Reddit post that will come up and it's quite easily discoverable, specifically Google Search, but going forward, Chat, GPT, there are platforms where that's not the case, being do you have a clear strategy for search expansion for Reddit content.
Speaker 9: Look, we have been beneficiaries of the open Internet. We believe in the open Internet and allowing people to get access to important information and reddits. Corpus has some of the best and most important answers regarding everything, product, services, life, etc. So we want ready to be open but we have to have a set.
Speaker 10: Of rules for doing that.
Speaker 9: And search and summarization and AI and data usage, they're sort of all merging right.
Speaker 10: This is part of what's changing in the world right now.
Speaker 9: So I think our view is we will have a conversation with anybody about having access to the data. But we've been very clear and transparent about our rules, which are our public content policy and protecting user privacies, being good stewards of data, and that we have to have a conversation where those policies and rules are respected.
Speaker 10: And then there's commercial alignment.
Speaker 9: So we're having conversations with every player large and small, and I think we've made it clear that what the rules are and how to make this work, and the fact that we've signed deals I think is a sign that we're sensible.
Speaker 10: There's a path here to do that.
Speaker 3: Jen, the stage is now very much set for a presidential election race for November.
Speaker 4: How does that impact Reddit?
Speaker 3: Do you kind of foresee boost from political ads or even just activity on the platform centered around the election.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we actually are not a big player in political ads. We never have been.
Speaker 9: Politics is obviously a big area that our community is engaged with on Reddit. So we do see conversation. But what I would say is on Reddit, because we have so many diverse communities, different communities have moments at different times. This is a presidential election year, so politics is going to be a little bit bigger, but then Olympics was a little bit bigger, and then there are seasons where other communities kind of have their moment. What happens with Reddit is that that kind of smooths out over time. So a community might be having a moment at one time, then another community than another community. But if you look at the arc of Reddit's growth, it sort of is all smooth over the trend reddits.
Speaker 3: COO gen One, it's great to have you back here on Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much for your time. It's time for talking tech.
Speaker 3: And in the news, soft Bank announces a three point four billion dollar buy back. The Tokyo based firm said it would purchase up to six point eight percent of its free floating outstanding shares through August seventh of next year. The move comes as CEO Masayoshi's son prepares for a large scale push into AI and semiconductor investments. Plus Hewlett Packard's fourteen billion dollar deal to buy Juniper Networks gets the ok from UK watchdogs. The Competition of Markets Authority cleared the purchase after investigating if it would lessen competition in the UK.
Speaker 4: The deal was similarly.
Speaker 3: Passed just last week by the European Union, and Sony raises its revenue and profit forecast for the fiscal year to March.
Speaker 4: The company saw a successful.
Speaker 3: Court in its music and gaming divisions, with operating profits at one point nine billion dollars. It's PlayStation division saw a lift, but it's PS five consoles sold just two point four million units, significantly below the three million units that analysts had expected. Let's get back to the earning story and take a look at Shopify. The global commerce company reported earnings results before the opening bell this morning, beating estimates. Shopifive president Harley Finkelstein joins us now for more.
Speaker 4: Good morning to you, Harley.
Speaker 3: It's good to catch up and then have you batch on Boombog technology. Things are going right for Shopify. The environment's hard to understand. Is there something specific that Shopify is doing better or well in that environment?
Speaker 2: I think so. I think absolutely so.
Speaker 11: First and foremost, I think we've earned the trust of millions of merchants in business all over the world.
Speaker 2: We announced a month ago month or so we all go announced.
Speaker 11: Then we have now powered over a trillion dollars with a T in CUMULOGMVS and sart inception, which for us is is really incredible. But I think we're not just helping merchants compete. I think we're propelling them to victory. And in terms of you know, how Shopify is doing in particular, I think these results demonstrate that we can do we can create the serious combination of both growth and profitability. You know, when you exclude the sale of logistics, revenue is up twenty five percent for the quarter to two billion.
Speaker 2: Yes, our fifth consecutive quarter at least twenty five percent.
Speaker 11: Top lane growth when you look at free cash low or free CASHLW margin more than doubled from last year from six percent to sixteen percent. Now, in terms of sort of the more macro I guess you know, the sort of macro questions you're asking. Look from our vantage point, I'm hearing from other companies what you're hearing as well, But from our vantage point, our merchants, the merchants on Shopify are outperforming others in the market.
Speaker 2: They're growing at healthy rates.
Speaker 11: We're adding more merchants every day, and I think as a result, we're getting more market share.
Speaker 3: Harley, real quick, I just want to jump in because I you know, it did go well for me the quarter. You've kind of been suffering from slowing growth in prior quarters, and your emphasis was a marketing marketing, but something jumped out. You talked about a partnership with a social media platform that really helped out.
Speaker 4: What platform was that, What.
Speaker 3: Were the specifics around that as a catalyst for.
Speaker 11: You, Yeah, I mean the truth is the way that we think about marketing the same way we think about product ed we don't necessarily it's all about data, and so when we see a particular marketing opportunity, we take that opportunity and the way that we think about all our marketing channels that these are levers. So in Q one, we did an experiment with a new emerging marketing channel, emerging social platform. We put some money to work, we saw a great return. We double that in Q two and we saw about a fifty one percent increase in new merchants from that channel. At the same time, we saw other channels that historically did perform well, not perform as well, so we pulled back on it. But the way that we think about our marketing is as this incredible data driven engine that allows us to not just focus on SMBs in English speaking countries, but you think about our point of sale business, our B to B business, our international business. We're able to deploy capitals that have the highest return on those investments, all within an eighteen month average payback. And that's the sophistication that we've built into the growth of members of Shopify.
Speaker 4: So which big social platform was it.
Speaker 2: We don't go into specifics on that.
Speaker 11: It's just an example of something that we're constantly experimenting with. There's not that many emerging social platforms. I'm sure you can figure out which one. But the point actually that we want investors, we want the street to take away is that we are always looking for new ways to grow the business. And again, five consecutive quarters of above twenty five percent top plane growth while being profitable. There's not too many companies that can do that at our size and growth their market share. And I think this is the best version of Shopify you're seeing right now.
Speaker 3: I've spoken to so many businesses small and slightly bigger that use Shopify, I get the benefit of it. So this is about discoverability, right, adding new merchants or markets to your platform. But let's do the math. If we won't name the social platform, what ballpark was the spend because turn on that campaign seems to have been very definitive in the quarter.
Speaker 2: Well, think about this.
Speaker 11: When we started to we've been public now for just over nine years. Initially we were focused on e commerce for SMBs in very specific regions. We now have a point of seale offering that surve passed one hundred billion dollars in GMV International for example. Over fifty percent of merchants that join in Q two on Shopify we're from outside our core English speaking countries. You know, two years ago we didn't have a B to B product, and this past court a B to B Jimmy grew one hundred and forty percent year on year. So it's not just getting more people to use Shopify, it's more people and more geography so to use different products, and that is leading to the growth that you're seeing. At the same time as being focused on on profitability.
Speaker 3: Harley, we enter the summer months and then we have the holiday season here in North America. Do you kind of market hard in the summer in the hopes of having business transaction later in the year.
Speaker 11: Real quick, Look, I think the key is that I do think the holiday will be very good. But because we have so many different verticals of merchants. We have you know, Figs doing scrubs and pet products from bark Box. We have Nestlie and Heinz and Mattel and Stables are using Shopify. We're not relying on one particular type of merchant, but I think the merchants that are on Shopify are doing disproportionately well.
Speaker 3: Harley Finkelstein, President of Shopify. Great to have you back on Bloomberg Technology. Thank you so much. Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology. Ed Ludlow Here in San Francisco. Disney gave a mixed picture as it reported third quarter results, with weakness at its famed theme parks, though it made its first ever profit in streaming, but with so many bundles our consumers getting streaming fa Tegue. Disney CFO Hugh Johnston joined Bloomberg earlier.
Speaker 4: Listen to this.
Speaker 1: Consumers do seem to appreciate having a limited number of bundles. Now, what we've tried to do with they're on offering is offer the individual pieces or if people want to get a discount by bundling, we're happy to do that.
Speaker 4: So that said, I think you do see.
Speaker 1: A trend where there's probably going to be a few big competitors in the marketplace and streaming as we see right now between Netflix, Amazon and ourselves, and then there'll be some smaller competitors out there and they'll have to decide how they're going to run their businesses.
Speaker 12: Are you concerned that consumers right now potentially are going to shrug off the price increases, because what we hear from a lot of companies is that we do see consumers trading down. Why do you think they're willing to pay for a higher price point?
Speaker 1: Well, I think the biggest reason is it's always important to focus on this. The consumer receives value and what they pay is price. And because we're delivering so much value, I mean, really an enormous amount of value in terms of the hits that I just mentioned. But then in addition to that, the combination of Disney plus Hulu and then we're going to have an ESPN tile and ultimately ESPN flagship on our streaming service. That's a huge amount of value for consumers, and as they're allocating their entertainment dollars, I think they're going to view US as as a great place to put them.
Speaker 4: That was Disney c FO Hugh Johnston. Take a look at Disney shares.
Speaker 3: We're off session lows, but we're down one point nine percent. The company also commented on its negotiations with Hulu in a filing today, saying it may have to pay five billion dollars more to acquire comcasts thirty three percent minority stake in Hulu. The two sides have disagreed over the fair value of Hulu and entered into arbitration. Proceedings to stock by the way down two percent so far in the year. Let's discuss all this with Lightshed partner Rich Greenfield. Let's park Hulu for one second, first ever profit for streaming. Is this the Rich Greenfield slow clap? Or are you not so overwhelmed by that news?
Speaker 13: When you see subscriber growth slow of actively to a halt and the price has gone up pretty traumatically, it's you know, it's pretty clear. I guess in many ways, it's sort of this, Hey, we don't know how to get more subscriber growth, so we'll raise the price and you know, hope that people won't and we'll even cut back on programming. There's obviously a lot less programming. Disney's essentially going to rely on their movies to drive the streaming service and hope that the movies are strong enough when they flow to the streaming service that people don't cancel because they're not expecting a lot of growth in subscribers over the next few quarters.
Speaker 14: And so it's.
Speaker 13: Basically trying to you know, you know, get to profitability, drive profitability of the existing base. But it doesn't really seem like there's a tremendous growth story here, and I think that's.
Speaker 14: Sort of you know, I mean, look, everyone's focused on the parks.
Speaker 13: I don't think anyone's really focused on Disney Plus at the moment.
Speaker 14: The streaming is a nice data point.
Speaker 13: I think it's less about getting to profitability and like how big a business can this actually be ed? Like can this be a multi billion dollar free cash flow generating business the way Netflix? Or is this you know, going to essentially tread water, you know, at a low single digit margin.
Speaker 14: I think that's what investors are really going to focus on over time.
Speaker 3: I mean you and I have discussed the past, right, achieving profitability by cutting you know, cutting cost out of the equation.
Speaker 4: So let's bring it back to you.
Speaker 10: Do.
Speaker 13: What you really want to see is people. You really want to see people who are so passionate. They love this service. They're willing to pay more because they're spending so much time. Like you want to see consumer love, and based on that love, you can keep raising the price getting more people to subscribe because there's great buzz.
Speaker 14: And word of mouth.
Speaker 13: That's not what's happening here nor any of these other streaming services.
Speaker 4: So then let's talk about Hulu.
Speaker 3: I just finished Star Wars Acolyte on Disney Pass, and like everyone else, I love the Bear on Hulu. You know, we did the reporting on the negotiation for that, the remainder of Comcast stay. Is it important if the idea is to achieve volume and get stuff that people want to watch? Do you see Hulu as being a sort of something that needs to be resolved as part of that.
Speaker 14: I mean, Hulu is going to be resolved. We're just talking about the number now.
Speaker 13: And I think investors are expecting several billion dollars.
Speaker 14: Whether it's four to five, we'll obviously see.
Speaker 13: But I don't think this is you know, I think obviously it probably Comcasts would love more, Disney would love less. But I don't think investors are stressing over what this number ultimately is. Investors are just surprised that the option was exercise last October.
Speaker 14: I think it's sort of crazy that.
Speaker 13: We're still talking about this not resolved here in August.
Speaker 3: Rich If you could ask one thing of Bob Eiger, or give one piece of advice to him to fix this in a way that you think would be positive, what would that be.
Speaker 13: Look, I think the bottom line is if Disney is really serious about being a long term and you heard Hugh saying they're going to be and the clip you played earlier, if they want to be a long term winner in the streaming game, it's not about discounting through bundling, it's not about cutting back on marketing. What they really need to do is invest very aggressively. Stop playing this near term Wall Street game of trying to get earnings growth. They need to invest aggressively in making great content all the time. That gets consumers to engage with the Disney streaming platforms every single day for hours a day, Like that should be their north star versus trying to figure out alternative ways to manage churn.
Speaker 14: That's what we'd like to see.
Speaker 13: And look, you've got all of these theme park concerns that are sitting with the company right now, Like that's what investors are really worried about, is how did the theme park slow down this fast in the span of just the last few months when Disney historically has pretty good visibility.
Speaker 4: I want to get some times talk about another name. Reddit.
Speaker 3: We had Gen Wong Coo on the show earlier, very sort of patient, sanguine, calm about the ad environment, but sees a lot of opportunity in sports.
Speaker 4: I know that you like that name a lot.
Speaker 2: We do.
Speaker 13: I mean, you know, if you think about what Reddit is, they really understand what consumers are interested in. And they've got one of the biggest companies in the entire world alphabet Google is in their corner. You know, you can't do a Google search and not see Reddit results rising higher and higher and higher. Google's paying them for AI Like Google is a firm believer in Reddit, If Google believes in Reddit, everyone watching this show and investing should believe in Reddit.
Speaker 4: Like I think that is.
Speaker 13: A really important data point, is that there is this increasing visibility reddits getting within Google and Jen Wong, who is now building out an ad business.
Speaker 14: Reddit was very slow to get going. They've got it going now.
Speaker 13: And we've seen other companies, whether it's Snap, Pinterest, go back x which used to be Twitter when those companies crossed a billion, Getting from one to three can happen very very rapidly, and especially at Reddit, where they really know who you are. They don't need third party cookies or data. They know exactly who Ed and Rich are. They have all of this interest data because you are searching Reddit for a topic, whether it's the giants or whether it's video games, like, they really know who you are and it allows for really well targeted advertising. I think Reddit is a must own stock. We just put a buy on it with an eighty four dollars price target. I know people are worried about the lockup ending on Friday. It is a great opportunity. People are gonna regret not buying it today.
Speaker 3: Like you said, partner Rich Greenfield, really great to have you here. On Bluembog technology. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: So coming up on the show, we keep the earnings conversation going with David Risher, the CEO of Lyft, discuss the company's earnings results, which reported before the opening bill this morning. Timely this is Technology. Let's get back to earnings and Lift the right check company reported before the bell this morning. CEO David Risher joins us live from New York City to discuss and the basics of it are that bookings, the outlook, missed estimates or street expectations, that the stock is down significantly. What is happening right now with Lift? The environment that Lift finds itself in.
Speaker 15: Yeah, so hey, it's good to see you again. I mean, look, it's to me, it's a little curious, right, and this is sort of the way the world works sometimes. So we just had our first profitable quarter ever, which is an enormous accomplishment thanks to a lot of work for the team. Revenue group forty percent year on your bookings and rides around midteen seventeen percent, two hundred and fifty six million dollars of free cash, so just and service levels that are fantastic, fastest pickups, we've had in a long time, fastest or more drivers than we've ever had. So all those things are incredibly strong, and they indicate a strong marketplace. And and we reiterated our full year guidance and our multi year guidance as well.
Speaker 4: Yes in team growth, So.
Speaker 15: All those things were good. I think what people are looking at is they're seeing what I would consider to be, you know, incredibly small, you know, sort of kind of adjustment around what we've said about the future the next next quarter, in the next couple of quarters. And this to me sort of signifies, you know, sort of the world we live in. Like the things that we think about are one hundred and sixty billion rides in the US in total private cars, and we are little by little, you know, in a very very disciplined and customer obsessed way growing our business. You know, I think Wall Street sometimes looks at short term things and gets a little bit overly focused on that. I'm thinking about the long term and super excited about.
Speaker 4: The prospects David.
Speaker 3: There's some David Risher's strategy and plans that I see playing out, like price lock. Yeah, a paid feature that's going to have an impact, maybe on the top and bottom line. But why, why is that the plan for you?
Speaker 15: Yeah? So, price lock is a way for riders to lock in a price just like it sounds like, on the same route and same time every day. It's really in first met for commuters, and it's available today. By the way, I encourage everyone to check it out. It's kind of in soft launch, and the idea is it takes away what I think is one of the most hated features of all ride share, which is surge pricing, right, and we're trying to get rid of it. Can never get rid of it completely, but we can certainly give riders a way to basically pay a small subscription fee and lock themselves into a consistent price. I think it's great and I think it's the sort of thing that's going to grow the business in the long term. Of course, it's an investment, right, and you always invest in new features that you have a lot of conviction around. But this, again is our customer obsession is what drives profitable growth. Again, we're profitable now and we think there's going to be a great growth driver for us.
Speaker 3: Advertising is a battleground as well. You know, I am so familiar with the lift at But why is advertising the way to go? And what with who with?
Speaker 4: Right? You think about parallel industries?
Speaker 15: Yeah, so you know, think about you know, of course, let's let's zoom way out for a second. Since the history of advertising, you know, brands have tried to come up with new ways to talk to their consumers, right, and one hundred years ago, maybe it was billboards, then maybe it was radio ads, then maybe TV ads. Obviously more recently internet advertising, we see this kind of mobile advertising literally advertising that comes to you in the car where you're going, as an incredibly important effectually a sector that we're really going to help build out. And because if you think about it and reflecting on some of the earlier conversations you were having around Reddit, for example, we have an enormous amount of first party data, right, two million rides a day, every one of them going to a seven to eleven or a Starbucks or you know, whatever it might be, and that's first party data that's very indicative of what it is that riders want to do. And so our media business has grown significantly. We're up significantly year on year, and we're really optimistic that it's going to be a whole new form of advertising and media that go super great.
Speaker 4: David.
Speaker 3: When I reported that Tesla was delaying its Robotaxi event to October, the shares of your company jumped in that session. The vision is a proprietary app from Tesla for ride hailing, but a fleet of cars that drive themselves.
Speaker 4: Tesla's Your stock.
Speaker 3: Went up on the basis that everyone was like, Okay, the competition from Tesla's not yet coming. Just your latest thinking on that, please, Yeah.
Speaker 15: Look, I think avs are going to be great for a lift, I really do. And I think it's because we're going to be the best way to commercialize what is a very very expensive asset. Different companies will try different things, but I think largely you'll have a lot of oms doing a lot in the av space and wanting them on our platform because of you know, millions of rides, all the technology we have to incorporate cars in our platforms and so forth. I don't want to comment on Tesla. I don't know, you know, we'll see kind of how that goes. But I do think that creating your own thing a kind of closed network is it's a front strategy and maybe a different strategy would be to figure out a way to get your cars that you've built in your technology, you know, as broadly available to as many as possible.
Speaker 3: David Richard, the CEO of Lyft, thank you so much for joining us in the studio in New York. Thank you now shares lower of Rivian. After the ev makers second quarter revenue miss analyst estimates, just cash firm for the quarter came in bigger than expected. Earlier, I sat down with the CEO RJ Scaringe, listen to this.
Speaker 16: We see that both through the excitement of our customers directly, but there's lots of ways to measure this. And we just had a JD Power as an annual appel study. We came out as a number one brand this year. We had a number one ranking on a JD Power study last year. So the reaction of the product has been great. We've in the second quarter we went through a big refreshed to the product where we've now launched what we call generation two of that vehicle of the RWE tRNS, where it made significant improvements in the product but also took us tremendous amount of costs out of the vehicle.
Speaker 3: Oh, Jay, the kind of summary of the earnings print was that all of the guidance previously issued was reiterated, and there's a lot of positivity around that. Very simply loads of people asked me to ask you, can you define what modest gross profit means or what you're defining it by in order to achieve it?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I mean, ultimately, this has been the central focus for us as as a company that's a business, is driving cost efficiencies into everything that we do, into our bill of materials, into how we operate, run our plant, and ultimately driving towards getting our production of our r and t on RNs to positive growth, smart and ultimately to have the business gets a positive for cash flow and nonprofitability.
Speaker 14: So there's a whole series.
Speaker 16: Of steps we're making along the way in terms of improving costs, but the biggest singular step that we've made is what we did in the second quarter. We took the plant down for about a month or it, made meaningful changes to the operations and importantly changed a significant portion of our supply base, outs and new suppliers, in conjunction with a number of design improvements, and all that comes together to take us to a place where you know, the incremental countribution to every vehicle we sell is positive, and that's you know, that's what we're driving towards us where we continue to guide towards for the fourth quarter of this year.
Speaker 3: In the first instance, sorry, Matt, I was just going to hold DoD Jay to account on that one and say, in the first instance, is it just like more than zero or single digits gross profit? Just I think that's the answer we're looking for.
Speaker 16: You know, we haven't provided a specific number, but certainly by saying it's positive gross margin, it's more than zero. Our objective what we've guided to for a long time. We continue to maintain this guidance is the long term margin profile on our one should be around twenty five percent. And so that's what we you know, beyond just this this fourth quarter performance that we're we're tracking towards, seeing how we continued to improve in twenty twenty five and beyond, we still maintain confidence in the twenty five percent coross margin.
Speaker 4: My interview with RJ.
Speaker 3: Scaringe, the Rivian CEO.
Speaker 8: I was shocked by the evidence uncovered by the House Judiciary Committee that a group of companies organized a systematic, illegal boycott against X. It is just wrong and that is why we are taking action.
Speaker 3: That was Linda Yakarino, the CEO of X, after the company filed a lawsuit accusing an industry group of violating antitrust laws for an advertising boycott that costs the social media company billions of dollars in alleges in the filing. Let's bring in Bloombos, Kurt Wagner. An advertising boycott sounds severe federal filing in a court in Texas. Just explain the very basic accusation that X is making.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean, the claim is that this group, this industry trade group for advertisers essentially you know, did anti competitive behavior.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 17: They came out and they advised all the members of the group not to spend on X. Kind of created it, as you know, Yakarino said, a boycott of the business.
Speaker 14: And they're claiming this is illegal.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 17: I don't know exactly what an illegal boycott is versus a legal one, but ed you and I have seen boycotts of not only advertising but products all the time.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 17: This is usually the way that consumers or businesses sort of voice their displeasure with someone, which is what happened in this case, shortly after Elon took over.
Speaker 14: I don't really know whether this lawsuit will.
Speaker 17: Succeed for them, but I think what they're doing here is sending a huge signal that, you know, one, the business is struggling, they need to do something out of a two picking a fight with the broader ad industry.
Speaker 3: Right now, we're showing some more of the comments that Linda Yakarino made. It was interesting, you know the video posted to X Elon musk amplified it. I guess the context is that X has been suffering in terms of revenue or financially in the period since Must took over and Lindy Yakarino was appointed CEO because of this, Like, I'm trying to understand why they would take action.
Speaker 14: Well, that's exactly right. They're saying that.
Speaker 17: Look, this group is, you know, collectively getting everyone riled up to intentionally hurt Ex's business. Now, I think what's sort of interesting here is what does this ignore. Well, this ignores Elon's own behavior, right, which we have talked about on the show several times over the last couple of years. Right, you may recall ed late last year went on stage at a conference and told advertisers to go f themselves.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 17: He has been very proactively aggressive to certain advertisers over the years, and so they are saying, well, hey, look, this group is illegally creating this boycott. It doesn't take into account the fact that some of this decision making may simply be because people don't want to work with Elon given the things that he's done and said to them.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Kurt Wagner, thank you. I mean a complicated story. There will be a legal process will follow it here on Bloomberg Technology. That does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology. Another busy day of earnings, fantastic interviews with executives from across the world of technology recap on the podcast You know exactly where to find it on the terminal as well as on Apple, Spotify and IHEARTQ the Beautiful Pictures.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Technology.