Speaker 1: Or the Steelers Audio Network presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood, Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's get started remember FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com. Guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hass's Steak and Seahouse. Hass Is his hospitality.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Stealer Nation, It's the drive on Steelers Audio Network. West Shooler Matt Williamson High atop chucknoll Field here on the campus of Saint Vincent College for a day number two of training camp coverage on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold. Another day of practice in the books, Matt, Another beautiful day year as the weather beautiful sunny held off. Yeah, and uh you know, day number two, I think, once again, a high paced practice and plenty going on.
Speaker 3: Plenty going on, and more importantly, congratulations to young Wesley here and a lovely wife when they're tenth year anniversary.
Speaker 2: In the wedding anniversary.
Speaker 3: You guys are still puppies nothing but yeah, you guys probably still like each other and everything.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, you know this, this time ten years ago, Matt, I was not. I was not in the same frame of mind that I'm in right now. You know I was. I wouldn't I would not have been able to pass a field sobriety test or any of that ten years ago at this time. And now we're here taking notes diligently and watching another practice. But yeah, I know it is my wife and I was ten year anniversary gratulations time flies think, yes, I'll be I'll be buzzing home tonight for a nice for a nice dinner. But uh yeah, and with uh you know, plenty of plenty to get to here. And speaking of which, let's go ahead and do this now. Okay, if you're ready here, mister de Fabo, let me grab you a special guest. We do have a special guest to kick off the program here today. He's a familiar voice, familiar name, of course, in Pittsburgh Steelers media circles. It is of the athletic Mike de Fabo, La Trobe's very own. You know, when you look up the greatest people from this region. You know, it's Arnold Palmer, and it's mister Rogers, and it's Mike de Faba. What's up, dude.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if I belong in that category, but at Dino's, at least in terms of the top wing eaters, that's the conversation that I belong in. I mean, one of my proudest achievements here was there. My parents were having a party. They got Dino's wings, and this couple was talking about how they were considering in this good for you on your tenth anniversary, naming their son Michael. And I sat there and I crushed forty wings, and by the end of it they were like, we're naming the kid Mike. That settles it.
Speaker 2: So what is it? Why are wings such a big deal in this region, like other than the only place I've ever been where wings are a bigger deal is Buffalo Buffalo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hilarious because there's basically, and I'm saying this is someone who grew up here loves Latrobe. All they've got here are two places, and they're both chicken wing joints. Dinos and Sharky's exactly right. And if I have the story correct, I believe that they were actually business partners at one point. I think there was some type of breakup and Sharky ends up moving starting somebody else starts Sharky's. So that's why when you look, not only are there like two places that are so similar, they have like the identical sweet hot sauce they do. There's just some slight variation, but it's very similar.
Speaker 3: And I don't think they're particularly buddies. And they're only like a block away from each other exactly.
Speaker 4: It's a little chicken wing rivalry right across from Route thirty on either side of Rout thirty.
Speaker 2: It's like sheets and wah wah.
Speaker 4: You gotta choose a lot of demarcation. You gotta pick.
Speaker 3: I mean, I kind of experienced it last night because we did a night show at Dino's. I got the boneless wings because on the air it's hard to get to get them all over your face and stuff. It's a bone and Boneless is the movie.
Speaker 4: I'll tolerate it when you're on air.
Speaker 3: On the air, I prefer what you know bone in, don't get me wrong, but you're on the air. So the pig out there, go to Sharky's right after, tell the manager and like all this you got brought out, all the things food. I appreciated. This is a reason I'm not eating because I ate a dinos. He's like, oh, he's don't tell me your problems.
Speaker 4: Man, Yeah, you're you're inviting some Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm just doing my job.
Speaker 2: Mike. We know, coming back here to training camps a little bit of a fun homecoming for you every single year, and you have that in common with the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Mike McCarthy, who, of course has had his homecoming in his hometown of Pittsburgh now as the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I assume that most of our are diehard Steelers fans have read your article in The Athletic, but you got to do a I guess a feature on Mike McCarthy is the industry term right where you got to ride around with him through his hometown just kind of paint that picture for us what that was like, what he was talking about, where you guys went, let's what did you get to know about the new head coach?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, first of all, it was an awesome opportunity. I think that the only reason why Mike McCarthy was willing to do it is because he feels so connected to the city of Pittsburgh, into the neighborhood of Greenfield. And I think he was willing to do it because he knew I'm a local, I grew up here in La Trobe. I understand what western Pennsylvania is all about. And so as we're going through, you know, on one hand, he definitely has these feelings where he's making his family immensely proud, and he has a job that I think is beyond his wildest dreams. To imagine that a kid from Greenfield whose father was a police officer, a firefighter, and a bar owner, which is basically the Pittsburgh Triple Crown in terms of blue collar jobs right there, not to mention a Korean War veteran and he worked at j N. L. Steele, that the son of that person would then coach the Pittsburgh Steelers. So on one hand, it's a joyful and exciting opportunity for him, But when we started driving through Greenfield, he kind of unexpect actively pulled into the cemetery cavalry, Catholic cemetery, and at that point I realized that maybe there was another depth to the story. And what that is is, you know, as he's back in Greenfield, the person that he may want to share this with the most, or the person that would have been the most proud of all, his brother, Joe, who passed away in twenty fifteen, is not here. And so they were extremely well connected. They were four years apart, but much closer than that would even suggest. And so Mike talked about his quote was like everywhere he goes in Greenfield, he can't help but be reminded of his brother. And one thing he said to me was that he feels that this is an opportunity to honor his brother. And so I think that you just see for so many different reasons why Mike McCarthy feels so much pride in and obligation. But there's another level to that with what he's gone through.
Speaker 3: That's cool. It does take it up even in another level. I mean, the connection is unbelievable. So I assume you guys agree. But what's really out to me since McCarthy took over as a head coach is attention to detail. Oh yeah, and that's really been exacerbated since we've got to Latrobe and you see the practice is going on. Is that something you just recognized spending that much time with him away from football.
Speaker 4: Too, Yeah, definitely. I think that he's very much someone that is very aware of the details. I mean, I think the other day that practice was scheduled to end at what was it to forty six?
Speaker 3: Yep?
Speaker 4: Was that what it was?
Speaker 2: Not two forty seven or twelve forty five, twelve forty seven, twelve forty.
Speaker 4: Siven They did not round up in any sort of a way. So very much an attention to detail, and.
Speaker 3: It ended at twelve forty six, not at twelve forty seven.
Speaker 4: Right, right. And I think the other thing that that shows, you know, people we've talked a lot about the attention to detail, I think you're also seeing a coach who has an evolved way of thinking. So if I were at a stereotype, you know, I thought, Okay, sixty two years old Western Pa guy, he's going to come in with this meat heead you know, old school. Maybe not this old school approach of like we're going to develop the callous here with these long, grueling practices, and they're going to be hitting, and it's going to be super like intense and tackling.
Speaker 3: And I know how we did it twenty years ago, so I'm still gonna do it now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right. And what you're seeing instead, I know a lot it's been made about this no tackling because it's different. I think what you're seeing is he's aware of the science behind things, and he's talking to us today about priming the central nervous system, and he's big into the GPS monitors and how much work these guys do, and so everything he does there's a reason behind it. And it's I give him a lot of credit because I think a lot of coaches who are in their sixties would be rigid in their thinking and would do things the way that they did them in high school. It's very much the opposite. With Mike McCarthy. You could tell that he's continued to work at his own craft and continued to be on the forefront in terms of sports science and what's best for his team and for his players.
Speaker 3: I recall he took a year off between Green Bay and Dallas too and really focused on the analytics of the game, right, you know, like he didn't just take you just go to the beach. I'm sure he took some vacations and things, but he realized that that he was not super analytically inclined as the league was changing, and spent a lot of time at Pro Football Focused and all these different analytics outlets. And I think he's very self aware that the game changes very fast.
Speaker 4: And you're seeing that on the field here. I mean, he's placed a tremendous emphasis so far through these first two days on situational football. So we've seen the two minute drill in each of the first two days, and yesterday, day one, we saw just last second situations. They would put four seconds on the clock and the ball on the fourteen yard line, for example, And they did a series of drills like that, and he brought up a stat to his team saying, eight of the seventeen games on average are going to come down to the last possession. So this is why I'm doing that and explaining the why behind it, and also.
Speaker 3: Under started to interrupt. I also think it think it contributes to the speed of practice and the conditioning aspect of it all too. We're gonna be in shape in the late in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 4: Right, Definitely, definitely. Yeah. And he talked about the like, like I said before, priming the central nervous system and thinking quickly and mentally being tough and all those types of things.
Speaker 2: It is Mike the Fabo of the athletic with us here on the drive on Steelers Nation Radio. I know it's only two practices, and Matt and I joke a lot of times about how you can overreact to everything, especially in this acclamation period. But have you noticed, you know, Matt and I are kind of up here in the press box taking everything in. You're down there on the field right next to all the action. Have you noticed a real increase in tempo? Does it feel like things are happening more rapidly than what we're used to out here at Saint Vincent College.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you talked about like me being down on the field. I feel like I'm running back and forth like crazy, trying to be like, oh, shoot, there's the quarterbacks over here. Now, okay, now they're coming over here. Now they're doing this. So absolutely, I've seen the pace there steps in some cardio too. Yeah, and I mean with the detail too. One thing that you'll see that's interesting. They have a two minute TV timeout, and so they'll say they'll scream on like, uh like two maybe three times for a practice two minute TV timeout And we'll have to ask Mike McCarthy about this, but I think that goes to the attention to detail as well, where he's saying, like, let's figure out during those two minutes, what you're going to be doing, how much water you're consuming, whatever, So that then when it happens to what you need to talk to in an actual game, you're ready and you're practicing something that's going to happen in a game setting.
Speaker 3: Don't make it four minutes or five minutes to it two because that's what.
Speaker 4: They give you in the game, right, Yeah, and those are the few times where they're taking a break. So again, as we haven't seen a ton, but it sure seemed like Mike Tomlin took a macro view to practice. You know, he might be with the d lineman, he might be with the quarterbacks, he might just be standing at midfield CEO and the whole thing. McCarthy, you sure don't seem to hear his voice as much, and he seems to be very acutely in this specific bot I mean or with a specific group, namely the quarterbacks. Yeah, namely the quarterbacks. And I think, truthfully that's the biggest thing for him and really the reason why, in my opinion, the Stealers are in this situation where they're having a new head coach is because Tomlin was unable to identify, draft and develop the successor to Ben Roethlisberger. And so now they have a coach who specialized not only on the offensive side, but in the quarterback position. And you really see the attention. All the things that we've talked about are magnified when you talk about him working with the quarterbacks in terms of every step of the quarterbacks Drop has a name. He talks about the QB school and the drills that they do, the fundamentals that they do, and you see him taking a very hands on approach with his quarterbacks, especially those young ones. And so that's really what got him here, and that's really a big point of focus for him. Is this quarterback position.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about those two young guys a little bit more. Again with the caveat right. If it's only been two actices, this is all grain of solid at this point. But any any early thoughts and observations on Will Howard and Drew out Well.
Speaker 4: Today was a big day for Will Howard because typically in every NFL practice, the only quarterbacks will get a two minute drill to the top two guys. So yesterday it was Mason Rudolph. He had a successful two minute drill where he led them into field goal range. Now, Will Howard was up during his two minute drill period. I'm sitting there saying, Okay, this's perfect. He's gonna score a touchdown and we're gonna write a story about how the competition is on. He had like three or four I think nice completions, chunk plays driving them down the field, and then he overthrew Max Hurlaman and right into Strashing Castro's arms.
Speaker 2: And so I found it.
Speaker 4: Kind of funny after practice. You know, last year, Will Howard was kind of the golden boy, you know, when you're a rookie. When you're rookie and you're new, the fan basees all of your promise, none of your warts, right yep. You know, Like I call it backup quarterback syndrome. The less the fan base seas of a quarterback, the better they think that they are. There's a lot of hype around Will Howard and he always was very polished and polite in interviews. So today, uh, you know, our our our friend Triva.
Speaker 2: Mike Persuda likes to ask the hard questions, you know.
Speaker 4: Who isn't necessarily known for his tact and and he's not someone to beat around the bush. Said to him, you know, what did you see on that play? And he just said, they intercepted the ball, they picked it, you know, and you saw a little bit of a different side of Will Howard. And what I took that as is Will Howard the competitor. Where Okay, last year was okay, I'm.
Speaker 2: New everything shining rainbow.
Speaker 4: Now it's like I'm here to compete and like I'm not here to answer questions head down working.
Speaker 3: But I mean, he's not guaranteed a roster spot at this point. It's you know, right, he's got a lot to fight.
Speaker 4: For, so he's got a lot to prove in. You know, these are the things that at some point, it's just day two, we don't want to overreact, but at some point you do look back and competitive moments at the end of practice in a two minute drill, they do matter when it comes to this decision making process.
Speaker 3: The last thing I got for is do you have any insight inclination thoughts on Joey Porter's situation contractually?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't. I wish I had more insight into it other than the fact that I think that every day that goes on, if they are interested in extending him, I think the price is only going to go up because it's exactly like someone said the other day, do you make him a top five corner? And I'm like, the price of a top five corner is going up with every new contract.
Speaker 3: Like daily, right now, right right.
Speaker 4: So if you can get it done, I think you have to. Obviously, there's a certain line that Steelers probably feel comfortable walking up to, and it's just a matter of figuring out where that is and trying to find some type of a middle ground.
Speaker 2: Let's stay one for you, for me, let's stay with that same position group. Not any real concern over Jalen Ramsey starting the season on the pup list, just seems like a precautionary thing. Another Mike McCarthy thing that that we've heard so much about is just making sure you get your guys to September.
Speaker 3: Heltry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean, you would love to have both of these guys on the field just because of the fact that you're installing a new defense and communication has been a problem for this unit in the past, and that's a point of emphasis, and there's going to be changes. While these guys have probably played every coverage known demand over their careers, you still want them out there. But the good news is it does sound like this is not going to be something that's going to linger into the season. You know, we've seen Jalen Ramsey walking around here no sort of brace or whatever, rap or anything on his injured knee, and so you just hope that he gets healthy sooner than later, because you know, with with Ramsey, you're not talking about just use losing one player. You're talking about losing you know, your star in the nickel defense, meaning your slot corn is what they call it. You're talking about potentially safety in some packages, you're talking about a corner maybe situationally, and with that, I think a lot of coverage disguises him, you know, playing a lot of different roles when it comes to those exes on a whiteboard and the different coverages and the way you may want to disguise it. So you know, that's why I think that it's really important for him to get out here. But obviously his health is the first and foremost most important thing.
Speaker 3: I do have one more thing now that we mentioned Ramsey is and the more I think through it, like the NFL is really really stressing that big nickel, that star you can, everyone calls it something different, but it's a brag nickel. So you know, it's Mike Hilton plus fifty pounds exactly, Stirwin James, it's Hamilton, it's the gene. But Ramsey's really well equipped for that. In my opinion, he'll play the run. He sticks his face in there, but he's got a lot more wear in his wear and tear in his body than Dejene or Branch or any of those guys him and worry. Maybe he just kind of save him from himself a little bit. I mean, that's not an easy position to play, even if you're not. I mean, you're taking on guards. You know. That beats you up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know. I mean, for all the reasons that you mentioned, it seems to fit his skill set, but it also is when you are closer to the line of scrimmage. You're inherently going to be part of more collisions and keeping him healthy is going to be important. But I agree with you when you say he's going to be successful there and the other part is just as a blitzer, you know. I think I think that with you know, the way that Patrick Graham wants to do things with his simulated pressures. I think that it, you know, adding the nickel to those pressures is going to be big. I think, you know, bringing him on just pure blitzes through the B gap, I think are going to be big. You run, fits, run support, all that. I think all fits a player like Rams who has the coverage ability but also prides himself on the physical side of the game.
Speaker 3: I don't see four defensive backs being on the field very often, but I don't think he comes off either. I think one of the safeties comes off, probably Brisker.
Speaker 4: And and that that was one of my questions coming into this, Like I wish I figured, I figured probably Brisker would be the one because the tough thing with the safety tantam they've got. I like Brisker and I like Elliott. I think they're versatile. I think that they both can play both, but I think both of them are best closer to the line of scrimmage. And what I would hate is if they have to play Shaun Elliott more in the post than they have in the past, because I think he's such a good tackler and so good in you know, against the run, that I would hate to sacrifice his strength because it fits the defense better, and so I would I would prefer to, you know, take Brisker off the field and allow Ramsey to be the post safety in your single high coverages. But ultimately that's something that's to get sorted out here.
Speaker 2: We'll start finding out answers to all these questions over the next few weeks. Certainly, Mike de Fabo of The Athletic kind of enough to join us here to start the show today. Make sure you're checking out that awesome Mike McCarthy feature in The Athletic. Thanks for taking the time, dude, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, Thanks for having me tweeted a free link, so even if you don't subscribe, you should be able to read it if you just check me out on Instagram or Twitter, whatever, Blue Sky, all of it.
Speaker 2: All that good stuff he's out there doing Yeoman's work. We're going to share some more observations from practice and some moving and shaking around campus here when we return. Just getting going today on the Drive, Yuler and Williamson Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live Cobry Chup Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood, Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's get started remember FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecomdigital, Dons Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot com. Guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery. CGR Wholesale and by Hassa's Steak and Seahouse is hospitality.
Speaker 2: Back High Top Chuck Noldfield. Here. It's a special training camp edition of the Drive. Of course, you know, Matt and I are the caboose of this thing for three hours every day. There is practice acclamation practice number two of four in the books, so we'll have a similar type practices Friday and Saturday. Everybody will get a day off on Sunday, and then you already know the fun begins on Monday when the pads go on. Matt couple of things, Oh real.
Speaker 3: Quick, Yeah, I think our listeners know that, but we get so many new ones. We don't do shows the day there aren't practice, correct, I mean, so you'll get a lot, but it's not seven days a week. So Sunday, I'm glad you off.
Speaker 2: Like if the Steelers have a practice on a Saturday, we do a weekend show. But if like there's a not this coming Monday, but I think the next Monday the Steelers are off, we'll be off that Monday.
Speaker 3: Day of the week doesn't matter at all, exact practice while they're here, we are on the air exactly right, if the whole lineup is the same obviously, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's from nine to six every single day, beginning with Labs and tom and ending with the three hour edition of the Drive. So yes, so practice days, we have shows, days off, we have off. Day of the week does not matter. So we'll have off Sunday and then we'll be back Monday for what will be a big week next week, last week for the Steelers before a preseason game. So that's always a lot of work to be done here on campus by the guys and the coaching staff. Certainly two practices in Matt and you know again, we're grain of salt in this whole thing. We are just a few steps into a thousand step journey here in this absolutely in this training camp, in this season at large. But a couple of things that I did notice today taking in practice that I wanted to run by you great the first I don't think this will surprise you or anyone, but a lot of what seemed like to me as footwork specific drills for the for the four quarterbacks today, it really seemed like in a lot of the quarterback periods it was all about footwork, footwork, footwork, which is something we know. Mike McCarthy is a disciple.
Speaker 3: Of Yeah, and I'm not enough for the next to break down exactly the foot placement. But like I do a Thursday show with Pursuda and Merrill, Hodge and Merrill rightfully so always talks about feet, hips, hands, and this has learned from Chuck Noll way back when and every position in this game, if you evaluate feet to hips to hands, you got a pretty good idea of what kind of player it is or what part of that's going wrong if you're an offense, tackle, if you're a wide receiver, if you're a quarterback, that it all starts from the lower body up until you release the ball, catch the ball, hit your opponent, and tackle your opponent. Whatever it is now quarterbacking. And this is where Bill Walsh really just took it to a new level. From what I understand in the history world of West Coast is back in the day, the Bradshaw Staubach day, you ran an out route and I let the ball go when you were open, you know. Then Walsh realized, which is utter genius when you think about it, that if I can time the quarterbacks drop and nobody was a shotgun back then three step drop, He's gonna time up with Jerry Rice as slant yep perfectly like you're throwing it whether it's there or not, you know. And now that was forty years ago, fifty years ago, and people have caught on. But it's almost indefensible when the feat, marry the release, marry the route combination and take. Yeah, it just takes over and over and over and over, and you never have it perfect like There's a famous story when Brady was married to Giselle. I guess she got mad at him because they're on some glorious beach, you know, when done the off time, and he's got shoulder pads on in a football working on his footwork in the sand. Yeah, I got an extra hour hunt. I'm gonna go fiddle by it and I'm gonna jump in and swim with the sharks or whatever. You know. Like it. You're never we are going to have it perfect. It's so precise, and a lot of it, too, is being able. Brady was on the best at this too. Is like it's not always gonna be perfect. In the pocket, someone's gonna blow a block. They're gonna bring more blitzers than I can. We know football is an uneven world. It's an unpredictable world. But if I have repeatable mechanics that starts with your feet and ends with your fingertip, it goes a long way. I mean, even like if you look at like Mahomes and Rogers in his prime doing all this ad lib stuff, but it's repeatable. It's not the first time they've thrown that side arm pass with great balance in their lower core their lower half and core and just takes reps and reps and reps and frankly, I don't think the coaching staff at Penn State did Drew Aller a whole lot of favors in that where a lot of bad habit. I mean, now it's with him. Let's get rid of the bad. Now we'll start to teach you the good. You know. So it's gonna take a lot of time, but I'm sure you just do it over and over and over.
Speaker 2: I expect we'll see a lot more footwork specific stuff for the quarterbacks throughout the next couple of weeks. Here. Second thing, Matt, I got four total observations to run past you. Here. Second one is there was a pretty lengthy special teams period during practice today in which Chris Boswell and Cam Johnston did a little showing off Boswell. They kind of put him on the spot. He went a perfect seven for seven on his field goals, including drill in the last one, Matt, which was about a fifty four fifty six yarder and he had seven to ten yards despair. It kind of reminded me of like a yep, still got it, you know? Yeah, all right, thanks everybody, still got it, you know here here it is.
Speaker 3: Signed a little extension in the offseason. Don't forget about me, you know.
Speaker 2: Right, seven for seven for seven and capping it off with a fifty five ish yarder and thanks, thanks for coming out. Everybody, tip your bartenders and have a good night. And Cam Johnston, I was thinking of you. You've told this story a couple of times in the in the history of this program, but you mentioned what would have been two seasons ago, I believe was signed the first sign, the.
Speaker 3: First time, the big contract for a punter at the time.
Speaker 2: You had had you know, shared the story a couple of times how you and Dale were doing the show and we're both like intrigued by the punter because he's got every club in his bag, and You're like, wow, you know, he hit some with a ton of hangtime, he hits some in the corner where they bounce and it's it's coffee. He's got every club in his bag. He was looking like that guy once again out there today. He had a couple really impressive punts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, Dale and I would sit up here and watch practice and comment on things going on. There were a lot of special Teams periods and you'd watch Harvin and Harvin was really good here. I mean Harvin's problems were like when the weather hit and some of the clutch situations and the winds swirling, and you gotta have a great punt to beat the Ravens, and you know those didn't always go great. But in La Trobe in a beautiful day, you know, with nothing on the line, that thing exploded off his foot, like you could see why he was a draft pick as a punter. That's a rarity. But then you compare him to the guy like Johnston, who maybe his driver isn't as strong, but he puts down the fairway every time. He doesn't put him in the woods, but then he pulls out, Like you said, all these different clubs and the end over end. I mean some of the balls are end over end, some are deep spirals, some are just designed to be hard to catch, some are designed to die on the green next to the hole. Yeah, I mean, and he really I'm not a punting expert. I never watch Special Teams film, but I think anybody sitting here if you watched him, be like, he's doing a lot of different things. He's not just kicking me football.
Speaker 2: No, And like you mentioned it, it draws differently, it spends differently.
Speaker 3: Sideways and wants to kick the point and like all these different things that he tries.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed seeing the special teams period today. I don't know. Again, I don't think that'll be as as regular of a staple as it was, of course during the Mike Tomlin era. But certainly a portion of practice today had those guys front and center, and they both delivered like like you would expect him to. Two observations left here, Matt. They both relate to coaching. The first and again this is this is one practice today, but it seemed like the case they were learning seemed like the case yesterday on Wednesday for the first as well, Patrick Graham spending a lot of time with the defensive line and edge rushers. A lot of time you see the defensive coordinator almost exclusively with with those with those guys up front.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't have a lot of work on.
Speaker 2: Hand placement and technique that it's seemingly that that's been his kind of what he wants to accomplish here, at least to begin.
Speaker 3: I guess the Steelers D line and edge coaches are a little on the younger side. Yeah, you know, maybe he's just overseeing that portion of it. I don't know. I don't have a reason why that is. Maybe tomorrow he'll be with the linebackers, next day with the safeties. I don't know. Maybe he just has an agenda the first two days where it started the big people and go backwards. I'm making this up as I go. I don't know. One thing that is really common in the NFL with this Fangio system that a lot of teams are starting to mimic Fangio's defense coordinator the Eagles is they'll play a lot of four with two high safeties and light boxes. And a new term that people are gonna hear a lot is used to hear about how the Steelers used to two gap. You know, they would take a guy down the middle and basically look over both shoulders, trug him the side, and you're in charge of two gaps. And that allowed the Kendrell Bells of the world. And that's why you wanted bigger. Quote DN used to be Aaron Smith. You can't have a two hundred and sixty pound guy trying to manhandle a tackle where the Warren SAPs and Aaron Donald are one gap penetrators. Just win that, you know, all right, but a big key And this goes actually back to the Eagles re signing Jalen Carter and Jordan Davis. Is defensive tackles in that Fangio system are now doing a gap and a half. And I don't know how they teach it, and I don't know how much the nude staff will do it. But the Steelers didn't do much gap and a half stuff under the former regime. You know, they were in charge of their gap. They do some of it, but there's some teams that are highly exclusive and they really put an onus on elite defensive tackle play because basically you got to control three gaps.
Speaker 2: Two guys to control three gaps.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you're also still need to make plays in the backfield too, you know. That's why you pay Davis and Carter for that system. You know. Then the last maybe he's doing more of that reason I brought up, Yeah, that's that.
Speaker 2: Actually that makes a lot of sense. And then the last one I maybe should have mentioned this with the quarterbacks too, but it just seems like, you know, so far and again only two practices here of Mike McCarthy, but that the quarterbacks have been doing their own thing more than we typically see like a lot of times the quarterbacks. Yeah, they'll have their own their own you know, uh, positional period stuff going on. But then we'd see him with the running backs, then we'd see him with the tight ends, then we'd see him with the wide receivers, you know, kind of moving around where through these first two days and especially today, it really seems like he's got the quarterbacks, which we again gets back to those details and that I want you working more on footwork in this stuff than I do, you know, your handoffs with Jalen Warren. Yeah, we can accomplish that stuff later, but it just seems like the quarterbacks have been more secluded on their own focusing on themselves as opposed to being paired with other units like we've seen in the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a really good observation, and I'm sure it's for the reasons you mentioned, you know, like they're probably a little bit of bragging, to be honest with you, Like they're all in third grade right now. We're inn ap science down here. We're doing our own thing. We know, all the things they're doing. We understand all the offense. I don't need to be out there well the coaches coach the tight ends and the running backs and all that. I don't need you guys to do that. We need to get you guys better at what we're working on here. So I know McCarthy has a tradition of being very hands on with that position and kind of secludes them a little bit, you know, not for the detriment of the team. It's not like they're not communicating.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's going to be something that I'm very, very interested to keep an eye in on part of me as we roll along. Is that just to start here? Is that something that that we're going to see continue.
Speaker 3: One other is at Chris Sadamski and I were kind of laughing about this at lunch, and we don't meet it derogatory towards the old coaching staff. But now if you've never been here, there's three fields in front of us. Yes, now you get team drills going on the same time in field one and field two. It used to be just ones versus one on this field, and then twos versus twos, so they're getting double the work done. And Chris and I were like, why haven't they done that for thirty years. It's not like they're short on fields. You know, you have a bunch of coaches. It's all on tape, you know. So not only are they running a lot more plays per minute per field, they're using both fields. And these guys are like constantly in motion, yeah, constantly emotion.
Speaker 2: They are moving a lot out there. And so that, you know, speaks to that conditioning that we know is a real part of this whole process for Mike McCarthy. And again we're still early doors here, very early doors, and we're just looking to pick up on trends.
Speaker 3: I think it's mental conditioning too, like things happen quick, you know, and boom you get this too minute TV period or you know, like things he's sprung on you. But I think why there they might be they will be contray or you know, giving up some physicality conditioning. They are definitely adding to the aerobic heart cardio part of it as well as the mental speed of the game. You know, so you might be adding two things for one, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Hey, that that mental toughness is uh is just as paramount man.
Speaker 3: Right if you're tired in the fourth quarter. I don't care how physically tough you were in Liatrobe.
Speaker 2: You know, it's it is really we know that this is a game of minutia and a game of margins, and that is one that I think doesn't doesn't get discussed enough.
Speaker 3: And I wanted to mention it with Mike a minute ago too. I mean, let's not forget I haven't brought it up for a week, but their fourth quarter defense was horrendous. Yes, it was the biggest problem on the whole thing.
Speaker 2: We went through those numbers a few weeks. People want to go back and find and find the episode and yeah, hey, if you keep doing what you're doing, you're gonna keep getting what you're getting. Yeah, right, right right, And so let's let's see how it all plays out here. But yeah, they have they have been moving and putting a lot on these guys. There's been a lot of the uh, you and I have made this joke in the past, the John Wooden it's like they're asking these guys a lot, like be quick, but don't hurry out out here a lot. Yeah, and uh, And we'll be keeping an eye on all that as we continue to roll along here throughout this process. Let's get to a break here when we come back. There was a pretty big story across the NFL today involving a quarterback and a contractual dispute that I want to discuss with Matt as we close down this first hour. Keep those tweets rolling in, you know, we'll hit those in the five o'clock hour. Plenty more ground to cover here as we roll along. West Yuler, Matt Williamson. It is the drive. We're at Chuck Nolefield on the campus of Saint Vincent College, all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live covery Jump dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light. Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donze Appliances Visit Donzappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hass's Steak and Seahouse hass Is his hospitality.
Speaker 2: Final segment here of the first hour of the Drive on campus, of course, all part of our ongoing training camp coverage of Matt. We've got a few minutes here to close down the hour. And did you see this will not surprise anybody because he does this quite often, But you see Baker Mayfield flamethrowing today with his media availabil about his contract situation.
Speaker 3: No, but this couldn't surprise me less. I think it came out yesterday that talks are off. Yeah, he's a free agent after the year.
Speaker 2: He's a free agent. He's a free agent after the year. And actually, our our buddy Jeremy Fowler, had a very candid interview with Baker and you know, asked him about the contract extension and his thoughts and everything. You know, a lot of times you get the cookie cutter, you know, politically correct answer of well, you know, it's an ongoing process and this and that, and yeah, I'm a little disappointed, but ya da da dah. Baker Mayfield said he feels disrespected, he feels undervalued. Jeremy Fowler followed that up and asked him you know, is it the money? Is it the length of the contract? Is it that in Baker Mayfield was like, it's everything, But they haven't offered me any contract more than two years. And I don't understand how. You know, they say that I'm a franchise quarterback, but they're not backing that up with their actions. And it basically said, you know, I think that I've earned it. You know, we won back to back division titles in twenty three and twenty four. But he said now that even if the Bucks want to try and negotiate, he won't be speaking to the organization and that quote not going to be bothering him with it unless he's actually recognized for his value end quote.
Speaker 3: None of this surprises me. It might even be a bigger conversation than we have time for. But if you remember he's I mean, I have respect for it. I'm not making fun of it, but he's one of these athletes that the world's out to get me. I have a chip on my shoulder. I was a walk on, which.
Speaker 2: Made sense for a long time, but then when you win the Heisman and you're the first overall pick, it can be a little unbecoming.
Speaker 3: You're not rock party in the seventh round.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, But I also get it. He's always been that chip on the shoulder guy and it's worked for it.
Speaker 3: It's worked for attitude wise. So I'm about three episodes into the series Quarterback on Netflix two.
Speaker 2: And he's featured in this season.
Speaker 3: This season, he's featured, and they don't talk about his contract much at least to this point. But he's very likable as you can imagine, with his family and behind the scenes and the work ethic and all those things too. And they go through the season. I'm to the point where I'm in the series where he's really starting to get beat up. And if you remember, he was in the MVP conversation through like seven or eight weeks.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like week eight we had that Midway Award winners, and he was right in the thick of the MVP conversation.
Speaker 3: Now at this point, he's got like three injuries. I think he's got three more coming, you know, and respect the heck out of it, but he also isn't young, isn't the biggest, puts himselves in harms way, and I can't have no matter what I mean, I respect you being out there. But if you're out there, I need you to win. There's no and he was a compromise. I can't have that version ever again, you know what I mean because the second half of the season, again good for him for you know, gutting it out, but the play was horrendous for reasons out of his control. I also think that organization's interesting too, Like we know Todd Bowles pretty much has to win this year.
Speaker 2: I think so. I think it's division title or looking for seeking other employment.
Speaker 3: And therefore you don't if you extend Baker now you don't know the new coach is even interested in that or once to get his own guy. So that's kind of sticky. No, by the way, some real fixtures of that organization, Levante David's gone. Mike Evans went to San Francisco Vidavea two days ago requested a trade, like are people jumping off the sinking ship?
Speaker 2: It starts to feel like that a lot, yeah, a little bit, and Vidavea probably I'd be like.
Speaker 3: Cam and TJ. And I mean, like, these are fixtures of the team. They've been in a.
Speaker 2: Long time, long long time. And you're right, from Tampa's standpoint, it's a little different. You know, I feel like people had that same conversation about Jackson Dart, like, would Harball want to work with Jackson Dart?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it's different when it's a draft pick, younger guy as opposed to someone someone that you're gonna give real money to for three years. Even though he's not gonna get Josh Allen money, he's gonna he's gonna demand a big payday.
Speaker 3: It doesn't sound like two years is gonna cut it.
Speaker 2: It doesn't sound like two years is gonna cut it. He is thirty one years old, which for a quarterback he probably know in theory, has plenty of tread on those tires, but he's been beat up a lot. He is a little bit smaller, as you mentioned, and so there's just there's a lot of layers to this. But you're right, Matt, it it starts to have that kind of everyone's looking around and this is not the best. We went from so much stability for so long, from Brady to the Baker. They made the they made the playoffs for like six or seven straight years, won the division over and over again, and had some real playoff success. Even you know, they won one or two playoff games after Brady, But it just it feels like now they're kind of coming to the end of that road.
Speaker 3: Their best prayerad yes, And I think from their standpoint for Tampa, it's probably like this crossroads is looking a lot more like we're gonna need to reset here, so let's not give out a bunch of contracts and hang on to a bunch of people trying to win an extra game or two. Totally understand and unfortunately for the Bucks they don't have like a rece and second round pick and the you know in in the mix that maybe they're excited about. I mean, if he was, if he if they don't understand him, the chance of him coming back to Tampa or slim and none.
Speaker 2: I would think it's almost none, almost none, unless there's like a brand new not just coaching staff but front office and all, you know, all the people that.
Speaker 3: They had a lot of success and you know, decided to make an offer, right. But I would think he's in a test free agency. I almost didn't bring this up, but a lot of people said, well, Rogers is gonna go.
Speaker 2: To go there.
Speaker 3: That would not be my first choice. I would understand the lodge, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think it would be any of my first five choices. Probably not need more fingers on the yah and I listen.
Speaker 3: But I'd like I respect him as a player. He's a good quarterback.
Speaker 2: I do too. And you know this, I've I've always gone back and forth with this, like Motes used to try and wind me up on this all the time, because I hated Baker Mayfield when he came into the league, not because any of the chip on his shoulder stuff or anything like that, but because every year, you know, this was this was back when w VU actually had a semblance of a football program, and every year he'd be like Will Greer against Baker Mayfield for the Big twelve, and he would come and score seven touchdowns and you know, rip my Mountaineer heart out and stomp all over it.
Speaker 3: And he was probably pretty unlikable at that stage of his career too.
Speaker 2: I mean, he don't you remember, he was like crotch He's crotch grabbing against Kansas, you know, not against Ohio State or Alabama. Against Kansas. He had so he had some incidents. He had that situation to college where he ran from the police and all that, and.
Speaker 3: Oh they showed on the on the show, I mean like he looked. I don't know if he was in talks skate or not, but I.
Speaker 2: Strongly I'm sure he probably wasn't any kind.
Speaker 3: Of runs into a wall, yes, yes, but he kind of made fun of himself in the show. He's like, I was a little younger, I've grown up a little.
Speaker 2: Since, and I think he certainly has, but he does still do. He does still have that walk on.
Speaker 3: Mental videos of me when I was twenty.
Speaker 2: Absolutely there might be a couple of grainy ones of me from the from the early flip phone days, but that's about it. Yeah, and then he goes to the Browns right and saw like, oh man, Like I hated this guy in college. Now he's in Now he's in the division with a team that I don't like, but I do respect him at the same time because he he's had a lot of ups and downs in his career. He has very rarely been in an ideal situation. Felt like he was not that long ago in Tampa and was really having a lot of success. Yeah, yeah, but it'll be it'll be very interesting for us.
Speaker 3: A hard one to write a contract for though, What would the numbers be in the outs and you know, the dedication to him.
Speaker 2: It's it's Tampa is going to be one of those just from a you know, if we take off our black and gold glasses and set the Steelers aside, if we were to rank like the most interesting situations to monitor in the NFL this year, they'd probably be towards the top of the list. It's going to be really interesting to see how that all plays out for him, for Todd Bowles, for that entire organization.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, So that is interesting. Now, not all this is his fault, and some of it was well deserved too. Not many quarterbacks go from first overall pick to Carolina to the Rams to now Tampa and then maybe next year to another team. I mean five teams in seven years or something like that.
Speaker 2: Is maybe the only other one. I mean, he was what's second overall right behind him.
Speaker 3: But if one of those teams adored you, they wouldn't have left you out there exactly. He might just be right below the line of I'm willing to, you know, hitch my wagon to him.
Speaker 2: We're gonna see how it all plays out this year in Tampa Bay. It'll be interesting. Last thing from kind of around the league today, Matt. Before we closed down this first hour of the program, we discussed a little bit the injury of Chris Brasel, the second of course, the Carolina Panthers rookie wide receiver. Matt, and I learned yesterday that you could tear an LCL as well as a we knew ACL and MCL, but you also have a lateral collateral ligament ELCEL. Chris Brasel did tear that he will undergo season ending surgery. The team announced today. That's a bummer, it really is.
Speaker 3: And no team's getting destroyed by injuries in the early portion like Carolina. Two tackles are kind of in the mess.
Speaker 2: You talked about that a little bit yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yes, Scourton really promising defensive end, you know, take the top off young receiver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, not not not a great start to uh to Carolina's year, trying to run it back as division champions there in the NFC South.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Atlanta doesn't have a quarterback as we speak. We just talked about Tampa. Like South isn't getting any strongest.
Speaker 2: It might be getting weaker. Yeah sure, Hey the Saints might just be sitting pretty.
Speaker 3: Yeah back and you know, let everyone fall apart exactly right.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that's it. Sometimes your enemy will take care of themselves. You just got to stay buttoned up. Hour in the books, two more hours to go. I want to talk a little offensive line with Matt when we return. Plenty to get to as we roll along here. Keep those tweets rolling in. We'll get to those in the final hour of the show. Wesh Yeuler, Matt Williamson. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.