Speaker 1: Patriots Unfiltered the world's original podcast. Patriots Unfiltered brings you inside you Llette Stadium for rousing conversations on everything New England, Patriots, and NFL. Join host Fred Kersh alongside Patriots dot COM's Paul Parillo, Mike Deso, Evan Lazar, Tamara Brown, and Alex Francisco as they bring you in depth coverage of the team.
Speaker 2: He's a red shirt rookie at that point, so it's really that's his rookie season essentially too. So now we're really not talking about them, really knowing.
Speaker 1: Search for Patriots Unfiltered anywhere you get your podcasts. This is the Patriots Catch twenty two podcasts with Evan Lazar and Alex Barth.
Speaker 3: And Lazarre.
Speaker 2: Hello, everybody nailed it, Joined as always by our Bark.
Speaker 1: Here is Evan Lazar and Alex bars.
Speaker 2: All right, number one down.
Speaker 4: We already did this, just yes, just as a whole we were We did twenty minutes on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yep, I let you do minutes on that.
Speaker 4: It was important.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 4: Let the story of the game. That was the story of the game, Evan.
Speaker 2: I know, That's why I had to talk about it, you know, to do his job. It's painful. It's pa. There's a couple of things that that we have to talk about on this show that are painful to me. One of them is is game management, time management, like did he timeouts at the right time? Did they manage the clock correctly? Did they challenge this play or not challenge that play like that? That stuff is insufferable. It's insufferable. The other thing that is insufferable is our conversation off the air about one Bill Belichick and just me having to talk about this is I I did not want to. I did not want to.
Speaker 4: I I didn't didn't think you're gonna have to said it was a non story.
Speaker 2: I didn't say that. That's not what I said. That's not what I said. We'll get to Bill here in a second. It's obviously the story that day. I think his introductory press conference is going on as we speak, are about to start any minute now. So it was a two o'clock press conference, but we know from Bill Belichick press conference. Yeah, maybe he's a couple of minutes. So we'll talk about that, and I have some draft takes. The championship weekend in college football was last weekend during the bye so I did watch quite a bit of those games, and I have some opinions. I know, Uh it was it. Connor Connolly, the connorly, the Oregon tackle is as I know him, you know, caught some eyes. Abdul Carter had another impressive game as well. Uh. So we'll talk some draft here today and some offseason as well, and maybe preview a little Cardinals. So that that's the show. It's a little weird show because we don't have a game of what from the Bible. I guess we probably should have done like you could have done season.
Speaker 4: I guess we could just do like buy week ups and downs, so the bill stuff, the college football playoffs, just whatever, three things that were up and three things that were down in the football world during the last week.
Speaker 2: Okay, would you like to do that?
Speaker 4: No, we can. I don't have it ready.
Speaker 2: No, I don't have it ready either. So we have a little bit of everything on the board today, as you can see. Because no, obviously no Patriots game last weekend, so we can't do our normal autopsy of the game three up, three down, all that kind of stuff. So we'll be active on the emails and the phones as well, So give us an email shout at Patriots podcast at Patriots dot com. There we go, because we got to mess with everything and change it on me all the time. And the phone number, of course is eight five to five Pats five hundred before we get into it. Hey, Patriots fans, if you want to see Toyota's best offers, including those not seen on TV, go to buy a Toyota. I got made fun of for this, by the way, why my pronunciation of Toyota.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a teen on a D.
Speaker 2: Hey Patriots fans, If you want to see Toyota's best offers, is that better? Yeah? Including those not seen on TV, Go to buy a Toyota dot com. It's Toyota's official website for deals from the official vehicle of the New England Patriots, Toyota Let's go places and easy to drink, easy to enjoy. But like the official beer sponsor of the New England Patriots. I don't even know where to start today. I don't even know where to start. I think the best place to start though, is with current Patriots and then we'll get into Bill and all that stuff from there. I think the biggest question that I have off the top as we come off this bye week, is what are the Patriots looking to accomplish in the last four weeks of the season and what would make you feel good about the Patriots? You know, are you someone that wants to see them win some games down the stretch? Are you someone that wants to see them finish with the number one overall? Pick? Right? Like, you know, which way do you really want this to go? I think the biggest thing though, for me from that standpoint with the Patriots is can they put together I'd like to see multiple, but I'll settle for one. Can they put together a complete offensive game, like from start to finish, finish in the red zone, you know, want to put a number on it, you know, hit that thirty plus point threshold, which they haven't done all year. Can they put together a complete offensive game, because I think they've been scratching at the surface of this. I feel like the Rams game, the Colts game, like those games were close to being that is a truly, you know, good offensive performance. But with the Colts too, it's hard to put that label on it. When you go two for six from the red zone and you turn one over on the goal line and things like that. But I'm looking for that because my feelings on the defense, I'm really it's getting to me a little bit right now about this Patriots defense. I have a lot of concerns. I think that this is the side of the ball that was supposed to be propped up. I was supposed to be solid still without Bill Belichick. I feel like they have really regressed on that side of the ball and most multiple facets, and when you start talking about where they go at in the offseason with this coaching staff and things like that as well, I look at multiple guys in that defense that are underachieving right now. Kyle Duggar is probably the biggest one, but Kyle Duggar, Jilani Tavai, even I would say Jonathan Jones had a little bit of a down year. Like these are guys that have played really solid, good football for the Patriots over the last three, four five years, and they've completely gone downhill on that side of the football. So I'm not expecting much out of the defense in terms of corrections and things like that coming out of the bye. But I do think it's obtainable for this offense to put together a complete game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, just as a whole general progress. I'll just pick up where I left off or where I've been with since the beginning of the year. Are you better at the end of the year than you are at the beginning? I said this a couple of weeks ago. What was the best game, the most complete game they'd played? I think there's an argument it's Week two against the Seahawks. Now the Colts game may supersede that, but can you show some progress from September to December? And I look at like what the Carolina Panthers are doing right now. Ye, but they're not winning some of these games, but they've been a pain in the ass for the Chiefs. They've been a pain in the ass for the Eagles. Can you do that and show that like you're on the doorstep of being one of those that you're you know, take that step towards being at least a tough out for some of the elite teams in the league.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's a really good point. And I just go back to what direction do they go in in the offseason. I know we talk a whole lot about personnel, and you know, can you see a rookie pop. Can you see you know, a Jalen Polk, a Leyden Robinson, a Cadaan Wallace, you know, one of these players. There's a merge here in the last four games of the season. I'll allow for that, but I also kind of push back on the notion that it's going to change my mind drastically about their needs and their uh, you know, rookie class and their holes. As Alex is dying over here right now, I thought it was a coffee. No. No, I'm just watching you just slowly decay over there.
Speaker 4: And I'm good. I'm good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's uh, he's he's been sick. You've been you're playing hurt a little bit today? Fine, you've been playing. He doesn't like that. I'm pointing it out. I can tell.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I I pushed back on the notion a little bit that they uh, because there's something I don't think that really necessarily there's something Jalen Polk is going to do in the next four weeks barring that he goes for like one hundred and four touchdowns and every you know, four touchdowns total, but like one hundred every game with a touchdown, you know, it looks like he's, uh, he's justin Jefferson all of a sudden that I'm going to start to sit here and say, they don't you know, they have an number one wide receiver, or they have a number two wide receiver, or they have a hit with Jalen Polk, whatever way you want to put it. I just don't don't necessarily think that that's going to change my mind that one way or another very heavily. So I'm not really thinking about personnel and more thinking about coaching and where this staff goes moving forward. And I think that a complete offensive performance would sort of cement Avp to me as someone that should be probably be back next year. And similarly on the defense side of the ball, when I watch their defense right now, and I thought Mayo pointed to it on Wednesday a little bit and kind of said it, how I feel, it looks like eleven individual guys that are each trying to win on an island, and it doesn't look like a team or a cohesive unit right now. And so what's happening is is that they shore up one thing, but it's like kind of like holes in a boat right where an another leak is springing because that you know that now that's an issue, and then we fix that, and then another thing has become an issue because they're not playing eleven at a time, They're not playing as a con unit. You know. That to me points a lot to coordination and coaching. So I am curious to see where this coaching staff goes from here. Just with the Cardinals this weekend, I think this is a really winnable game for the Patriots. The Cardinals have lost three games in a row. They have an eight percent chance right now to make the playoffs based off ESPN's number and their projections. So the Cardinals, for all intents and purposes, are are are dead like they would need a hell of a finish here to make the postseason. So they're they're reeling a little bit as well, I would say. And I look at this matchup and I see a Cardinals defense that stiffens up in the red zone. It's another bend, don't break type of defense, a lot of zone coverage. They're gonna bring some pressure, but it's gonna be from different places, and they're gonna play a lot of soft zone and they're gonna give up some yards in the twenties between the twenties and then try to stiffen up in the red zone. The Patriots have been able to move the football against two of those types of defenses with the Rams and the Colts in recent weeks. I obviously have to finish, but they've been able to move the ball, and then offensively with the Cardinals, it still feels a little bit run centric, which might be able to keep this game closer. Right. You don't usually see teams run away, no pun intended with a game that's heavily featured on the ground, and they are not necessarily a team that is overly consistent. They have a lot of explosive plays, but they also have a lot of negative plays too. It's kind of boom or bust right now with them offensively. So what do you think about their chances in the desert? Because I actually give the Patriots a puncher's chance in this game.
Speaker 4: Real quick, Patriots breaking news, ish, we kind of knew this. Teed McMillan has a officially declared for the draft.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll get to some of the guys.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to throw Literally just happens, So I just wanted to throw that in like, I also feel like they've played the Cardinals tough, like this is kind of the same, and they've also played them like oddly regularly with that seventeenth game as the NFC opponent, And I feel like all these games have kind of in the same thing where the Cardinals are this team that's kind of backsliding when they play the Patriots, but they're still seeing this like the tier above, and then the Patriots beat them. Now a couple of years ago, was it Monday Night Football where where Kyler? Or was it Thursday at night? When Kyler towards ACL that Monday night Monday Night, so they obviously didn't have to face him in that. But this is a team that that is super inconsistent in the Cardinals, a team that can get sloppy, a team that's pretty one dimensional. They're really good at that one dimension and that's why they were able to get off to the hot start they did. But it hasn't they haven't really had a great counter so this could be one of those games like that's kind of similar to the Bengals, it's kind of similar to the Bears. So it's one of those games where I do feel like the Patriots should have a chance in this one. It seems like they're relatively healthy, you know, coming off the bye week that helped as well. So I what am I picking the Patriots? No? W I put it in the winnable game category.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, Yeah, it's interesting with the Cardinals that you mentioned that they started hot again and then kind of fizzled out. We always joke and kind of label that as like a Cliff Kingsbury problem, right, Like Kingsbury's offenses tend to teeter off post Thanksgiving, and it's kind of happening in Washington a little bit, like it's not as bad as it's been in the past, and the commanders look a little bit better lately. But they had a rough stretch there again offensively where that Cliff was coming for Cliff, no pun intended again nice and I swear I didn't mean to do that. And it's sort of happening in Arizona again without Cliff Kingsbury. So maybe it's a more of a Kyler Arizona problem than it is it is about Kingsbury and that specific instance.
Speaker 4: It's truth Cliff going back to like Texas.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, I'm not saying that cliff is off the hook. I'm just saying that it's interesting that that is happening again to a Kyler Murray Cardinals team. Kyler is an interesting player, just real quick and aside. You know, I love watching Kyler. Yeah, he's a really good quarterback in my mind, but he's he's interesting. One of those guys that I don't know if it's necessarily tangible. You know, he tore his ACL obviously, you mentioned that against the Patriots a couple of years ago, and that's really the one major major injury he's had. But you do wonder how much the wear and tear on a smaller guy catches up to him in the season, and maybe that's part of the reason why he tails off. One of the other interesting stats about Kyler that I dug up while previewing this game on Patriots dot Com was against six or more rushers, Like basically want to call it an all out blitz. We can call it an all out blitz. Kyler Murray right now is the worst quarterback in the league an EPA d per drop back when teams bring six or more in a blitz, he is the worst in the league by a wide wide margin. He's subtracting point eight four expected points added per dropback in those situations, which anything over like zo point two five in either direction is a lot, right, Like, that's like an outlier number. So he's been horrible against all out pressure, against multiple you know, blitzers, and I think a big part of that is you bring those types of pressures against the quarterback like Kyler because he wants to scramble and get out of the pocket and extend plays. And now you're you know it's twofold one. You're covering all the gaps on the line of scrimmage that he has for his escape routes. Right by bringing six guys, there's really no place for him to go. And the other the other thing is that you're adding defensive backs into the pass rush. So now you have athletic guys chasing him. So you don't have three hundred and twenty pound defensive tackles chasing him, you have Kyle Duggart chasing him.
Speaker 4: Should be a good week for the Longhorn package.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so maybe the Longhorn package gets involved is a great point. And Brendan Schooler gets involved is a perfect spy on Kyler Murray but you see him get really rattled when teams bring the heat against him. And Brian Flores did that quite a bit, as he always does. A couple of weeks ago in that game that I watched is you know, similar defenses and things like that, and he brought the heat a lot against Kyler Murray. And you see some really ugly reps from Murray when you bring pressure against him, because it just takes away a lot of his like crutches, right, you know, scrambling getting the ball out quickly and the last thing. And I'm a I am not a tall man. I am also vertically challenged, so I don't want to take shots at short people. But is there a There's a piece of me that wonders if he can't see over the rush?
Speaker 4: Certainly looks like it sometimes.
Speaker 2: Right, And I say that with again, like I'm not trying to be mean, but I genuinely wonder if he struggles in those situations over the rush, and when there isn't six guys coming at him, he can kind of scramble or move off his spot to try to find those launch angles. Whereas when you bring all that all out heat, he I think he kind of doesn't see down the field very well in those situations. So long winded way of saying, I think this is a really big game for you got to be able to stop James Connor in the run game, Like if you can't get this Cardinals team a lot like the Colts, if you can't get them into third and obvious pass where you can bring some of that pressure against Kyler Murray. That's where you're going to struggle against this Cardinals team is downhill runs with James Connor. They're always ahead of the chains. They're in third and short a lot of the time, so you can't bring the pressure that you want to bring. This is one of those games where you need to stop the run and have some fun later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a big game for the front as a hole, which is obviously a group that struggled this year, especially compared to expectations. But Christian Barmore has been back. He continues to ramp up, other guys getting healthier. They've added Yannick and Gockway, Like this group may be set up better than any other for that, you know, upward trajectory at the end of the year. Great test for them to start off this final push.
Speaker 2: All right, last thing on the Cardinals, and then I want to talk about some breaking news, you know, more of Belichick stuff. There's a couple bits of news. You know, guys are declaring left and right at this point for the NFL Draft. Garrett Bull signs an extension today, which I think is topical. But the last thing that I want to bring up about the Patriots in this game on Sunday, and really just down the stretch in general, the whole cold strange of it all, I find a little fascinating. I am really really weary, and I've given this take on pe you a little bit, but I want to expand on it. I'm really wary of changing centers on Drake May. I think it's a horrible idea. I think it's a recipe for disaster. I don't think Ben Brown's a part of their future plans in terms of starting center long term. But I also don't think that he's been a train wreck at center by any stretch of the imagination. And really going back and looking at it and thinking about it, they really haven't had any bad exchanges either between Drake May and Ben Brown since he got in there. And then we also have to mention that in this system, all the line calls are controlled by the center. In this system, right so pre snap, the center is the one that's making all the checks and audibles and changes to the protections and things like that. In this Alex Van Pelt offense, it's not the quarterbacks responsibility per se. So you're asking Cole Strange, who has never played center in a game before period going back to college, has never played center in a game before period, to come into a game with a rookie quarterback who's playing well and they haven't on the right track, and he is going to snap for the first time, He's going to make line calls for the first time, and he's going to snap to Drake May for really the first time in a live setting. Because these practices this late in the season, that that does not count, Like that's not live NFL football right now in week fifteen. So you put all these things together, and I understand that they want to see where Cole Strange might fit into this puzzle. I really feel like in a you know, no knock on Cole Strange necessarily, but I feel like they have to wait for cold Strange until training camp next year. I just don't necessarily think that it's smart for him to be thrown into this fire and to be forced to play a position he's never played before. With a rookie quarterback, it's a recipe for disaster. I'd be really weary of doing that to Drake may I think that's the one thing you have going for you right now is that he's playing well. So don't mess with it, because I do fear it could be a house of cards.
Speaker 4: I couldn't agree more everything I've said is make this as easy on Drake may as possible. Does col Shit maybe have a future at center? Yes, I don't even hate getting inim the practice reps right now, but like you said, like training camp next year, it makes a lot more sense to make that change. I still don't understand the blind commitment to Laydon Robinson, like there is another way to get Cold Strange in the lineup if you want him on the field. But they just won't take Laden Robinson off unless they absolutely have to. So the one thing, and this was floated as like a take and Drod Mayo was asked about it this week and he didn't straight up say no, but he didn't sound enthused.
Speaker 2: By it.
Speaker 4: But I have seen some people suggest like a rotation where it's Cole Strange and Ben Brown rotating. That's probably worse than just col Strange outright. That's the one thing I don't want to see them do. But no, I'd like to see them stick with Ben Brown and stick with the continuity.
Speaker 2: I would just say it would be easier to change, Like if you wanted to have a rotation to try to get both those guys reps, I can I could hear that if it was like tackle or guard. I think that's more doable where you have a rotation, or maybe it's halves or so. I don't know what exactly would look like necessarily, but if you want to get both those guys game reps and left guard is sort of a rotation, maybe you do it for the first couple series and then you ride the hot hand, you know, whoever's playing better, you know, midway through the second quarter against the rest of the game. I could entertain that. I think it's a totally different animal when you start talking about center, and when we start talking about a team that wants to go under center and play from underneath center and you have to put the quarterback under center.
Speaker 4: Elements.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the communication is a big piece of it. So I think it's really difficult to rotate at center. Specifically, they wanted to rotate Landon Robinson and cold Strange at left guard. I would be more open to that. I still don't necessarily think it's necessary, Like, I don't know why we're doing this for cold Strange. I really just don't, especially this late in the season. Like it's not like he hasn't he has shown at times that he can play in the NFL. Again, I just I don't see what we're going to gain from that, especially from the point of view that as we sort of segue into some of this news that's broken over the last couple of days, they're probably gonna have a pretty significantly different offensive line to start twenty twenty five. Sure, yeah, you're you're looking at probably two new tackles at least on that offensive line. So at what point do you also look at it and say, well, it's not even the group, right, It's not like he's getting in there and it's gonna be the same four guys and you know, same five including him next week year in Week one twenty twenty five, barring injury, it's gonna be a significant shuffle anyways. So I would just the biggest point though, of that whole thing, is that I just would not mess with this element for Drake May. I just think it's worked with Ben Brown. It's been smooth with Ben Brown from a snapping communications standpoint, I just wouldn't mess with it. All right, let's get to some of this this news over the last couple of days. Obviously, Bill Belichick is being introduced as the North Carolina head coach as we speak.
Speaker 4: They gave him a cut off unc hoodie sick. He also held up his dad's hoodie for what his dad coached there in the fifties.
Speaker 2: Wow, wow, I.
Speaker 4: Hate this all you want? You're in the minority on that, am I? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay. So we've argued about this off the air already, and I want to bring some of the text messages to light. Some of it's probably not great for air. Some of it is, though, And I just think for me, and this is strictly my opinion.
Speaker 4: Did you want to start here? Did you want to start with bulls? And I go to you into this because we can start with bulls.
Speaker 2: No, I wanted to start with, it doesn't matter. It didn't matter the order when it comes to Bill at UNC, I have two different ways of looking at it that end up in the same place, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The first place that I look at it is this job is beneath Bill Belichick. Okay. And that's no disrespect to the University of North Carolina. It just is beneath it. It's a basketball school, it's an ACC program in college football that's never really been part of the conversation of an elite program. And on the football side of the things, you can Dora May like that, but like Drake made is such a great example of this. Like Drake May was the only reason why they've been relevant in like the last decade is because they had Drake Man. I guess like Mitch Trubisky too, technically was an early draft pick, but Mitch Trubisky's North Carolina teams weren't very good. It was just that he was an NFL prospect. Drake May took them to the a SEC Championship game his true sophomore season. Otherwise they wouldn't even have been relevant for the last like decade. And it's not It's not Alabama, it's not Ohio State. It's not Georgia, it's not Texas or not USC Like if he was gonna go to one of those schools, then I could sit here and say, Okay, he went to a blue blud national champion contender, year and year out program. Right, it'd be like the college football equivalent of inheriting the Philadelphia Eagles or like the Dallas Cowboys or something like college.
Speaker 4: So this is where I think, maybe like there's really two. This story's fascinating because you see coaches jump back and forth sometimes between college and the pros, but that's usually a certain coach, Pete Carroll it was one example. I don't know why these names are coming to be Matt Ruhl. Right. You have these rare instances, though, where a lifer on one side goes to the other. The most recent was Urban Meyer, And you get a group of people that maybe don't follow the other side regularly or closely or with the level of familiarity, that suddenly end up on that other side because they're following the individual. So what you just said, for instance, right where well, it's not one of these blue bloods. There are so few true blue blood college football teams left that are relevant that are considered elite no matter how good the team actually is. There are fewer of those than ever, and those teams just don't Usually they hire from with it, Like it's not that from them an opening? What in college football? Like what what the coaches do to prove themselves? You go to that second tier school and you elevate it to compete with the blue bloods. Look at what Dion did in Colorado.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Deon, But that's a perfect example because Dion. It couldn't have worked out better than it has with Dion in Colorado. And part of the reason why it's worked out so well is that his son is a really good quarterback. So he got him by default because that's his son. And Travis Hunter is the best player in college football. He is, don't tell me about your running back. Okay, he's the best player in college football. And he was at Jackson State with Dion and like it just like Dion. My point is that Dion kind of got lucky that those two guys were in his back pocket, right.
Speaker 4: Sure, But like I'm expecting Bill to do well in the portal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, maybe.
Speaker 4: Bill's not that that that Yukon team last year went six and six with the backup quarterback Max Johnson broke his leg first month of the season and was out right, yeah when when And Michael Lombardi was on MCAFEW today and he was already talking about we're going to hit the portal heavy. When Dion showed up to Colorado, you talk about you talk about Travis Hunter. Obviously they were big pieces, but they brought in fifty two players through the portal and they had fifty leave. It was an entirely new team. So can Bill go out, even if he's they're not the guy's not his son, and get a five star portal quarterback? I think he could. I I think he could. I look at Malik Murphy, who's right down the road. If Bill so, Malik Murphy was the guy who played over right, he was the guy who played over Arch Texas transferred to Duke last year. He's back in the portal. If Bill shows up and flips Duke's quarterback to UNC.
Speaker 2: Great, But like, but why would I Why do I care? Like this is the others my other angle.
Speaker 4: It's it's because it's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Why is it fascinating? Because this is why do I care? What Bill Belichick does in two months, you know whatever? How many months? Six months? For now when we get back to college football next fall and he's coaching, you know, at North Carolina down in Chapel Hill next year, Like, what do I care about North Carolina n C State and Bill Belichick coaching a college football game for twelve pm on a Saturday on free Form?
Speaker 4: So what is all c W?
Speaker 2: Why would I care? Why would I watch? Like? Am I gonna start doing like film breakdowns on if.
Speaker 4: You always complained college football? Well, it's so basic. They only run you know.
Speaker 2: That's another piece of it though, and you give your take and can.
Speaker 4: Bill put some more complex systems into the college game? And that No, just no, you're not you're not even open to the possibility of it.
Speaker 2: Not at that program. No, that pro okay, but.
Speaker 4: You need to move on from the idea of that program because Colorado was that program. Colorado wasn't.
Speaker 2: But Colorado can't do that either. Like that's the other them into this that I find fascinating, Uh, that I just can't wrap my head around, is like, okay, so they're they're gonna treat it like an NFL team. Yeah, right, where it's good. You're like you just said, they're gonna hit the portal and they're gonna be fifty in and fifty out. It's gonna be like the draft and free agency right where the whole roster is gonna turn over essentially in one offseason. I I totally get that. But my biggest thing with for Bill from a coaching standpoint with this is that what you're gonna You're gonna start running match coverages, and you're gonna start running uh, you know, creeper schemes, and you're gonna start running Tomahawk blitzes and all these different things that they did here. Are you gonna play forty five percent man coverage? I really college kids?
Speaker 4: I really think they might.
Speaker 2: Alwa's gonna get torched, is he? Yes?
Speaker 4: In the ACC?
Speaker 2: Yes, you can't do that. And because you just don't have the horses, like, you don't have the personnel to do, don't have Stefan Gilmour to go out there.
Speaker 4: First of all, you're not facing the same level of opponents.
Speaker 2: I get that, But I'm more talking about, like the scheme, the.
Speaker 4: Best wide receiver in the ACC just transfer out case he conception on well, we don't know where he's going yet, but he's leaving m C State. They What makes it so interesting to me is you never Bill is the greatest NFL coach of all time, period, full stop. There is a strong arguments we made that he's the greatest coach in the history of the sport, period, full stop. A lot of these guys don't have that crossover. This is something that goes on. I remember having this argument with somebody once about coach k is coach k the greatest coach in basketball history, the greatest coach in college basketball history. I okay, well, this person was a big Duke fan, so they clearly thought. But like the point is, so a lot of people have talked about Schooles's record and what that would mean for Bill as an NFL head coach. I don't think he needs Shoul's record to be the greatest NFL head coach of all time. He already is. You know, there are very few things that could actually add to Bill Belichick's resume in terms of like what he's accomplished. Do you know how many coaches have won both a Super Bowl in the National Championship?
Speaker 2: Not many?
Speaker 4: Three? You know who they are? Pete Carroll, Barry Switzer, Yeah, and Jimmy Johnson.
Speaker 2: That's that's an interesting group. I would not have guessed Barry Switzer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the what everybody forgets. But like you had that, and Bill's never gonna be He doesn't have enough time to be the greatest college coach of all time. He's not He's not catching Saban Like, that's not gonna happen. He's not gonna be there that long.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't like he knows himself doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: I think you're in the minority on that. I don't find it fascinating.
Speaker 2: You like college football. It's not just college in the state of Massachusetts that cares about college football.
Speaker 4: That's changing. I put out a poll last night. There's people said they're gonna follow you at The reality is, once we start following the stuff, you get hooked.
Speaker 2: Look, no, there's a difference between yeah, like I'll follow it, like you know, I'll I'll know what they're they're doing relatively, and you know, if the.
Speaker 4: College football hooks people, that's what it does. It hooks, Yes, it does. It doesn't hook you, hook me, It doesn't hook you, but it hooks people. And that's the other element to this, to go back to my point about you have two different groups looking at this. Yesterday is a major win for the sport of college football. I think it's a win for football as a whole.
Speaker 2: Belichick at that level crazy that you think that this is good for football, that Bill Belichick is not going to be coaching in the NFL and he's going to be coaching North Carolina Bill Belichick, Well, no.
Speaker 4: But I think it's better than him working in media. I think it's better than him not beat not having hands hoffs.
Speaker 2: It's the best part of this interesting. Only interesting part of this story to me is why isn't Bill in the NFL? Like that's the only interesting part of the story to me, because the other piece of this that that irks me, and this is just on a personal level, it just irks me. I understand a lot of people don't care about this side of it, but the you know, you're texting me this morning that that college football that Bill is was disgusted by the.
Speaker 4: State a quote.
Speaker 2: I know, but you're the one that told me that this came out right, that he's disgusted and that the words that you used were that college football. After you said, this is my coach because he likes college football better than the NFL. You said that this is the purest form of football. Blah, Like just blah, all right, And then all I'm getting at here with this is like stop it with the spin zone, Like can we just be real? Can we just stop it? Like he did? This was not his choice, This was not his first choice to go coach in North Carolina, Like just be a human being and be real for one what.
Speaker 4: Do you but what do you want? Like you won't leave open the monoker of a possibility that there grew up around the college game.
Speaker 2: There is a zero point zero percent chance that Bill Belichick, if he had his pick, would pick North Carolina over coaching an NFL team. Zero point zero. There is no way. And all of this stuff that's coming out, the Wickersham article and all this stuff that's coming out about how he was done with the no, the NFL was done with you, And if we could just have that conversation like real people, then I'd be open to it.
Speaker 4: What does that say more about the NFL or Bill Belichick?
Speaker 2: It's irrelevant to the point that I'm trying to make, Like the point that I am trying to make is that every single time something goes down with Bill the spin zone that has to happen after it. Like you don't need that, dude, Like you don't need it. You're Bill Belichick. You're the greatest coach of all time in my mind. You don't need to then send Mike Lombardi on every single show and talk about how college is such a better job than the NFL at this point, and how you know this is really a much better situation for Bill. Come on, Like everyone knows that Bill would rather be coaching in the end NFL. Everybody knows that he'd rather be chasing Shula, and that he'd be better off in the NFL and all those types of things. Like everyone knows that that's where he wants to be. It's if you want to talk about whose fault is that that is more interesting to me than North Carolina for Central Florida in October.
Speaker 4: You don't think that there's a little bit of a possibility. Maybe it's not his first top choice. I think his first top choice would have been to finish here and get the record here, right, But you don't think that there's a little bit of a possibility that he grew up around the college game. He was raised in it, and he's had an affinity for it. And there was never really an opportunity for him to leave or for him to go to make that jump, Like he was on the NFL path he was with Parcels. That was the path to becoming a head coach, not going to college. It was sticking with Parcels. Did that got here? He wasn't gonna leave here for a college job with the success he was having. Now he has an opportunity to do it, and it's this is it. Like if he ever wanted to coach college football, this is it. And maybe it was always somebody wanted to try. Maybe it's not his first option, but maybe it was somebody he wanted to try. And you keep bringing up unceivers, UCF whatever. He's the greatest coach of all time. If he's putting a team on the field, it's inherently interesting to see what that looks like. You're acting like and I'll even I'll even slayer my own brand here. You're acting like he went to the the UFL. You're acting like he went to the spring league.
Speaker 2: No, if he did that, I'd be like, yeah, I'm being real about this. I I agree that come next fall, people will be generally aware of what's going on at North Carolina. I would say, in a lot of ways, it's similar to Bill O'Brien going to Boston College, right, Like it wasn't the main story in town by any stretch of the imagination, Bill Belichick, But you really truly think that, Like your station is gonna be doing full segments on what is going on with North Caroline.
Speaker 4: I think on Monday you'll probably get a segment of what do you think of the North Carolina game? Would you think the job Bill did this week? Do it?
Speaker 2: That's my station.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna do it on the website.
Speaker 2: That's crazy, that's absolutely crazy. If people are gonna be actually sitting.
Speaker 4: Down if we did we did, if we did full days of Brady and Tampa. I think Bill in North Carolina gets a segment that I'm not saying it's gonna be as close as Brady and.
Speaker 2: Tem so different and Brady and Tampa was so much more compelling. Like I think that's the do.
Speaker 4: You remember what everybody said when Brady went to go to Tampa barely an NFL team. It's like the same thing, people the same thing.
Speaker 2: I I just I don't want to keep laboring Bill because I really don't care. But at the same time, I just the part of that irks me about this is that it would have been so much more interesting to see what he did with an NFL team, Like could he get back to the top in the NFL.
Speaker 4: I think this is more challenge.
Speaker 2: You just will not admit that anything bad about college football. You just won't.
Speaker 4: I was saying the college team is more of a challenge because because a good pay for college.
Speaker 2: What's the ceiling for him at North Carolina?
Speaker 4: Like national championship?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's no way he's winning a national championship.
Speaker 4: You don't think there's any shot in that conference. You can't even get to the college football Playoff. No, he made the pitch on McAfee the other day. This program is going to be geared solely around getting players ready for the NFL. That is going to resonate with a lot of players in the portal high school recruits. That's going to resonate a lot.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that he's not going to attract players. I agree. You know, we had this conversation on PU as a story was developing, and the whole thing, And I think this is a really interesting point that you can kind of speak to more than most people, right, Like the whole point of oh, like, you know, he's going to have to go on a seventeen year old's couch and recruit them to come play North football in North Carolina.
Speaker 4: No no, no, no, no no, that's not the kind of kids he's recruits.
Speaker 2: He's gonna recruit out of the portal. And Mike Lombardi went on visiting his old station, old network, and he mentioned that they are going to build an NFL front office in college football at North Carolina where they are going to have their primary responsibility is going to be scouting the portal. It's not going to be scouting the sixteen year old at you know, a freaking odesci Permian, right Like, it's that's not what they're gonna They'll do that because you have to. But let's face it, Bill's seventy two years old. So like once that sixteen year old kid gets to North Carolina and is ready to play in a game in North Carolina, he might even be the coach there.
Speaker 4: That's why I think Bill's gonna be there for three years. It's gonna be this first for I mean, it'll be portal heavy, but this first freshman class will be his class. These are gonna be the kids that he's going with. And the guy to watch that I'm gonna be fascinated with is a guy named Faizon Brandon. So the number so the one thing our old friend Track Yeah, tweeted this yesterday. He said, you know, as Bill gets a going at UNC, it's all going to be about finding the irony of Bill has to find the next Drake May. He left the Patriots, goes to UNC. Now he has to find the next Drake May. The one thing UNC has always done well as a program, better than probably any program in the country outside of maybe USC, is the top in state quarterbacks stay in state good University of North Good Quarterbacks from the state of North Carolina play at the University of North Carolina. Just so happens. So the guy in this upcoming class twenty twenty five graduating this year, number one North Carolina quarterback, he's already committed to UNC. We'll see if that sticks, but I would imagine it will. Yeah, Class twenty twenty six, the number one quarterback from North Carolina is actually the number one recruit in the country. Yeah, he's a guy named Faizon Brandon.
Speaker 2: In fact, that from Greensboro.
Speaker 4: I looked usup last night from Greensboro, less than an hour from Chapel Hill. Yeah, he's currently committed to Tennessee. Does Bill go and try to Benedict Arnold on our hands here? Does Bill? Does Bill go and try to flip skip right over? Because if because I know what you meant, If.
Speaker 2: Bill does her, he's a trader. That's what it means.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I mean, uh, Tennessee recruits heavily North Carolina for other positions with the guns quarterback. If Bill goes and and Faison was asked about this, that's the impact of Bill Belichick. They're asking the number one recruit in the country, who was already committed, what did you think? And he went down. So he says talent. So the kid says, yeah, you know, it's a good hire. I don't think i'd take a call from him. He said an nil deal through the email. Right, So if Bill, if Bill flips him or I talked about earlier Malik Murphy Lake, yeah, you can get he could make such a splash and then it all just floods in from there. And that's all fascinating to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, I I know that's fascinating to you, and I'm a piece of me is kind of happy for you because I know that this is this is like your two worlds alliding and and good for people like you that that like college football for beyond just the draft, because this is this is a this is a win for you. This is a win for you, guys. So I'm not surprised at all that this is your take on this whole shit.
Speaker 4: I bring up one more point because I see it in the chat about Bill being able to recruit.
Speaker 2: I cause I don't. But that's not what I'm doubting.
Speaker 4: Well no, but like that's not what's interesting.
Speaker 5: Thing.
Speaker 2: He's just he's Bill Belichick. You shouldn't be coaching it North Carolina, all right.
Speaker 4: Like the the thing I was gonna say is because some people are all right, well, how's he gonna resonate with these young kids at least when it comes to recruiting. It's one thing when you get him in the program. Recruiting is a lot about the parents, and the parents saw Bill win for how many years The kids, you know, maybe a little younger, but I think it's gonna be fascinating. You're the greatest coach of all time taking on a new challenge. I'm gonna be locked in. I think more people are gonna be locked in than you realize.
Speaker 2: Okay, I look, if they are, they are, I'll own up to it. In the fall off, if people are glued to their televisions on there on Saturdays to watch you know, North Carolina versus Chattanooga, I'll take it back. Okay, I'll take it back.
Speaker 4: They don't play Chattanooga's here.
Speaker 2: And I also, just like I want to be clear, like this is not a negative Bill take Like I get we're getting emails of me being negative. Like it's not anti Bill, like it's nothing. It's actually pro Bill. Like I think Bill should be in the NFL. That's where he belongs. He should have a job in the NFL. It was time here, It just was time, all right. It was twenty five years. It was a great run. But that's a long long time in the in professional sports to have the same coach. It happens a little bit more in college, right where you have these long legacy coaches, right, But in the NFL. That's a long time, and it had just sort of what's the words I'm looking for, it had run its course with the Patriots. That doesn't mean that I felt felt like he shouldn't be coaching in the league. And I'm just disappointed that we don't get to see what he would do with a different NFL program. That's it.
Speaker 4: Well, but is that on him or is that on the league?
Speaker 2: Well, that part, to me is the more fascinating conversation. Will he succeed at North Carolina? Because I think he will do a good job because he's Bill Belichick and he's pretty much done a good job everywhere.
Speaker 4: Right, So I just said, you don't think he win national championship.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can win a national championship. But that's not because you think you can get to the college Football payoff now as twelve teams Like, yeah, maybe the ACC.
Speaker 4: So he's basically just to win the ACC. I think he can win the ACC. Well, you I cannot wait to watch him hang seventy on DABO. That is going And people who like we only talk NFL here you hear me talk about Kylee Shanahaning. These guys you don't even know how I feel about Dabo.
Speaker 2: So I do think that there's a possibility to make the College Football Playoff because of what you just said. You win the ACC, it's an automatic bid, you're in.
Speaker 4: You get in, and you talk about this a lot. It's it's your best college football Take that to win a national championship in college football. So about the line?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 4: Right? Are you built big enough up front? Because the SEC teams are generally just so much bigger than every other conference. But it's usually the team that's the best at the line of scrimmage, not necessar the best quarterback that wins. You look at Michigan next year. You don't think Bill Belichick's going right to the tackle guard page and the transfer portal, going right there.
Speaker 2: Like you, you know, he's looking for sixteen guards lit.
Speaker 4: But this is my point. He so this is what was when TCU made their run. When Michigan made their run, you'll hear college football analysts talk about they have an SEC offensive line, which basically means they have the side. It's not about talent, it's about physical size. There's only so many these six five, six, six three ten pound guys that can move like this. I fully trust Bill Belichick is going to build an SEC line at North Carolina and that is going to change things because North Carolina will not have a line offense and defense. There's not gonna be another team in the ACC that has a team in the trenches like North Carolina does. And when they get to the playoff and they're playing SEC teams in Big Ten teams, I'm not gonna say'm gonna pick them out right, We'll see what happens in the portal, but they're gonna be able to compete at the line of scrimmage again, teams from those conferences. And if you can do that, I trust Bill the coach circles around anybody in college football that.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, And this is the only part of your take that I agree with that I find interesting a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is said that about like three or four things.
Speaker 2: But okay, well, no, what was the other thing I said that about.
Speaker 4: I don't remember, but I remember you said fascinating.
Speaker 2: I was like, okay, okay, well maybe that was exaggerating the point. This is the only element really that I truly care about with this whole thing in terms of like his coaching down there at North Carolina. My guess is that he's gonna pants like the entire ACC.
Speaker 4: Well not just the ACC. Let's say he gets the playoff Bill versus Kirby smart. Wait yeah see that Bill versus Lane Kiffy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's where I feel as though those guys, I personally feel like have the chops to go toe to toe with Bill, Like Kirby is really good, would.
Speaker 4: Definitely awesome to and maybe Kirby's a little different because they're not Kirby's defensive coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bill versus.
Speaker 4: Lane Kiffen, Bill versus Lincoln Riley. Yeah, I see like Bill verse some of these guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's it's interesting.
Speaker 4: That doesn't that doesn't give you stand the hairs up a little bit.
Speaker 2: I told you that was the only interesting element. But at the same time, like they have to get there first, and I'm talking about North Carolina. Kirby is going to be there, Kirby's going to be at the party, and I think there are they going to get an invite? I don't know. I I the only part about it is that these and that's a different level, Like I'm just talking about like that poor coach at like Wake Forest or like at you know, uh even like like schools like Duke and NC State. Uh No, I don't know yet. I don't know yet. Like I don't know what good would. But we'll find out about Dabo, right, we'll find out.
Speaker 4: I'll give you, I'll give you a good one.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: Fran Brown from Syracuse and and Syracuse had that big win at the end of the year and they finished on a high note. He's considered he was actually an assistant under Dabo. He's considered one of the top up and coming coaches in college football right now. He's somebody that's been talked about, is not this year but next year being like the top name among the openings, Bill versus Fran Like, if Fran Brown wants to really be on that line, he's gonna face Bill. Syracuse plays you UNC. That's gonna be a game where we really figure out what Fran Brown's made of.
Speaker 2: Cool. I just ultimately, you have to admit, even you, even mister college football over there, you personally have to admit that it would be more interesting if he was in the NFL. It would just be more interesting.
Speaker 4: It would maybe be more interesting on a game to game level. I think the overall story of what he is in college is there's so much meat on the ball in there. It's it's so fascinating to disagree.
Speaker 2: You don't think it would be more fascinating for us to have a Bill Brady comes back with the Bucks. But for Bill, like next year the Patriots have a home game where the other coach on the other sideline is Bill Belich.
Speaker 4: One game that one game would be really interesting.
Speaker 2: But this is so unique, Bill chasing Shule in a different I like, you know.
Speaker 4: What Bill become Bill getting that that that rarefied super Bowl in national championship. Again, Carol Switchers.
Speaker 2: So out of control thinking and that's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: And think that hasn't happened in twenty years. But that's and and he would have done it.
Speaker 2: He's noting a national championship at North Carolina. His best that's crazy. His best case scenario at North Carolina is that they make the College Football Playoff and he like puts that program on a on the map. In that respect, there's no way he's winning a national champion. All right, let's take these calls and and get into some of the draft stuff. So much college football today, it's.
Speaker 4: This is it's not so you better get used to it.
Speaker 2: So it's gonna be a long three years. Buddy nooking a minute of North Carolina football program, We're not talking a minute of that. Bridgestone, the official tire the Newland Patriots, is proud to partner with Sullivan Tyre, New England's headquarters for quality Bridgestone tires. Visit Sullivantyre dot com to find a location near you. And this movie right here, Patriots fans, are you ready for this blockbuster Alex? The most nail biting action film of the season is carry On. We had this whole debate is it carry On or carry On? I had no idea what they were talking about marine Then when they were doing that Storry tarn Egerton or Edgerton, excuse me. Sophia Carson and Jason Bateman Touches Down on Netflix on December thirteenth. Oh, we're one day away, just in time for the holidays. Only liquid's allowed, blood, sweat and tears. Catch carry On December thirteenth on Netflix. Sorry, let's take your phone calls. Eight five to five, Pats five hundred is the phone number. We have a lot of emails into podcasts at Patriots dot Com as well well. But start us off, Patty is an Aga. What's up, Patty?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 3: Gentlemen? How's your Thursday going?
Speaker 2: What's going well?
Speaker 3: How are you pretty good? Evan, I got to talk some more college football. Sorry, but I got I got a question for each of you. Alvin, you brought up I think it was the last week of the week before when you started breaking down film that Travis Hunter he felt like, was the only blue chip that you felt like Will Campbell was also worthy of taking top five. Just observing what you observed through Will Campbell on film, do you think like he's a high he can get to the level, like his ceiling is a high, like a Pro Bowl left tackle. That's my question for you and Alex. I'll pick that off there. But Alex, I got two players I want to throw at you and you tell me stutter dud Jaden Higgins from Iowa state wide receiver and Terrence Ferguson's tight end for Oregon.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks Patti, thanks for the call on Will Campbell. This is a gonna be an ongoing debate I can tell for the next five months about Will Campbell and where he fits on the offensive line. I believe that Will Campbell is has Pro Bowl caliber traits as an offensive lineman. Where on the offensive line, whether that's on the inside or the outside. I'm still TBD on right. I need to see the measuables. I need to watch a little bit more. I need to hear a little bit more from people that I trust. But do I think that he has the blocking talent to be a Pro Bowl caliber guard or tackle? Yes, I just don't know which one he is yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I will come down to the our measurement, right, Yeah. Yeah, So the two guys he asked, I know I haven't done a ton on the Iowa State receiver, so sorry, I'm gonna have to TVD there. Who is the other one?
Speaker 2: I don't remember. Thought that was your job to keep track of those guys.
Speaker 4: I know it was, and I can't what was the.
Speaker 2: It's okay, it's okay. He throws two random names at you every single week, Patty email and if you can, yeah dot com because Alex base gadeted so then we can get that second name for you.
Speaker 4: Terrence Ferguson from Morgan That's who was. Yeah, he's I mean, like a lot of these type the tight ends in this class. I feel like there's kind of a type.
Speaker 2: He got a couple of touchdowns in the championship game.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, big physical tight end, not afraid to go over the middle, like like very much. You know, central casting. That kind of thing where pretty traditional if you're you know, projected to be a mid round pick early day three, if you're looking for a player to draft and develop for a year or two behind Hunter Henry, maybe he replaces Austin Hooper as a second tight end with the idea that he's eventually gonna become that primary tight end. He'd be a fit in that role certainly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has a lot of move skills what I see right Like, they move him around the formation a lot. He plays off the line a lot more what I saw at least a little bit more receiving tight end, I would say in that game. But Oregon's offense was fun. Watch them on film and we can get to that here in a second. A little bit about some of those guys that popped in in that championship game. But they run some some weird stuff, like they'll run like unbalanced line and like all sorts of stuff. They flipped their tackles a lot, and those unbalanced lines and the tight ends move around quite a bit too. So he's he's kind of versatile, Like he's sort of like a you know, bigger version of Jaem Bell. I would say, is how I saw him, at least the game that I want.
Speaker 4: I don't know that he's doing in the NFL, some of the formational stuff that Bell's doing. Yeah, I mean, I guess you could. You could maybe coach him up to that. He's just kind of Bell's not as tall as lower center of gravity, who was a little more agile, Ferguson, more upright, But yeah, I could see that. He also like he has the size to become a blocker, he's so big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. Riley is in Phoenix. What's up? Riley? Riley?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Riley, give us a call back and we'll get you on the air. Uh. DeShawn is in Virginia. What's up to Shawn?
Speaker 7: Getting off from work?
Speaker 2: We're good? How are you good?
Speaker 7: Good? I want? I wanted to talk about like the the strategy of trying to actually when you got to talk about the lineman. But I was thinking about, like if you guys, I think I happen to get t Mac and Hr get the free agency and the niggas pocos on the line agency trying to worry about too much in the drift.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good question, DeShawn. Thanks for the call. It's a good segue for us because one of the big blocks off the free agency market went back to Denver today. I guess it is the easiest way to say it. Garrett Bowles signs an extension with the Denver Broncos. I never expected Garrett Bulls to hit unrestricted free agency. Uh still young ish, really good tackle, starting caliber tackle for Denver. You have a young quarterback then on a rookie contract, so you have the flexibility, and you also just learn from the Patriots mistakes a little bit. You don't want to put yourself in a position where you have a revolving door at left tackle with a second year quarterback in bo Nicks. So they're able to lock up Garrett Bowles, which really puts the tackle market. And I tweeted it out when it happened, this is what happens like these guys do not hit unrestricted free agency. The true premium tackles and I believe Garrett Bowles is a premium premiums doesn't necessarily mean he's top five or elite or anything like that, but he is a rock of solid sharpie him in as the starting left tackle for you in an NFL lineup. Those guys just do not hit unrestricted free agency. So the only other guys now that have a chance are Cam Robinson, who will because Minnesota has a Christian Darsol coming back off of an injury next year, so they don't need to pay a left tackle. Are they already paying a left tackle? And then Ronnie Stanley, my guess in Baltimore is gonna get franchise tagged at the least, Like I.
Speaker 4: Would be shocked if Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it does sound like Cam Robinson, who, Like I'm not trying to look down on Cam Robinson. I think Cam Robinson would be a upgrade over what the Patriots currently have. But he is a mid level starter, right Like, He's like an NFL average starter, which again is an upgrade over what they have, but it's not We've solved this position for the next ten years. Like drafting, somebody might do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you're gonna if you're gonna draft like a project player like Josh Simmons or maybe Josh Connery falls into that territory. I know you're high on him after watching him, like he's a good plan B, but that you know, set it and forget it left tackle, you're not getting that guy in free agency.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Cam Robinson's a solid player and he like I keep saying, you'd be better on what the Patriots have, But he's also going to be the best available tackle on the market, which means that he's gonna get paid good amount of money. Like, my guess is that you're looking at somewhere between fifteen and twenty million dollars a year to lock up Cam.
Speaker 4: Robbins's gonna get because he's the number one player at the position. He's gonna be paid like it, and you're gonna have to pay a tax for lack of talent of the position even if the dollar amount doesn't line up with the ability.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we talk about this all the time with these guys. Is you know you always are weary of paying top of the market dollars for a average player, right, Like you don't want to be stuck in that position where you're paying premium dollar amounts for a C C plus player, like you want to play premium dollar amounts for Blue Chippers. You don't want to pay him for just starting caliber tackles in the NFL. That's the boat that Cam Robinson would fall on if they signed a guy like Cam Robinson free agency, I wouldn't kill him for it, like I'd be like, Okay, I see the path to your point. I still think you need to draft a Day two tackle that Scott's development a upside maybe on both sides, potentially right, So maybe he's your right tackle the future instead of your left. But at least he has upside to start in this league and maybe be better than Cam Robinson down the road. I don't think you can just be done. You can't no sign Cam Robinson and be done.
Speaker 4: And I'll ad this too. It to one other point, I've seen people say this, Well, you know, if you sign T Higgins and your draft Ted McMillan, No, yeah, I get it, Like, all right, we're gonna infuse the wide receiver room with talent. Old belichickism. It's not about collecting talent, it's about building a team. Yeah, tep McMillan and T Higgins too much overlap. You can't have those same guys, they play same positions. Spider Man meme, Right, So I mean, if that's what you want to do, you're signing t Higgins's he's the best option pending. We'll see how just how pissed AJ Brown is in Philly. Yeah, but you're signing t Higgins. Okay, Now we're talking about Travis Hunter or Luther Burton. Those are complimentary players. The McMillan it's you have two x's now and you're you need more speed on the field than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. There's an email here about Ted McMillan in my take on him, So we'll get to that here in a second. But Riley's back, so let's get Riley on. What's up? Riley?
Speaker 5: Hey, fellows, how we doing good? Doing good?
Speaker 6: So a couple quick things here.
Speaker 5: So I used to be in the camp of, if the Patriots have a top five pick, that we need to trade down just to secure as many future draft picks as possible so we can replenish all the assets that we need since the laundry list is long.
Speaker 6: But as of recently, I've kind of come around to the idea of drafting Travis Hunter, just given the fact that he is the best bona fide player in the entire draft, or if not one of the best. So I just kind of wanted to get your guys' thoughts on that, if they do end up picking in the top five, would you rather select Travis Hunter or trade down and stock up and get some more draft picks. And then secondly, it was just interesting listening to Drake's press conference and I mentioned some of the receivers in Arizona and whatnot, and how Drake really stressed the urgency going into next season and with the Cardinals and the receivers that they have obviously drafting Marvin Harrison and seeing the Seattle game last week with Smith Nu Jagba, that really stresses the urgency to me as well. Obviously it's pretty glaring, but just that we need we need a guy, and Drake is the guy, so we need a guy for him to take over games to throw to. So that's it, and I'll see you guys on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Appreciated. I hope you have fun at the game if you're headed to the game on Sunday.
Speaker 4: So the Travis Hunter just named AP College Football Player of the Year so there you go. Yeah, so that's a player in the country.
Speaker 2: So to the first point with Travis, oh really not not your running back you second, Oh, you didn't get the vote though he was second. Does that usually foreshadow of the Heisman vote?
Speaker 4: Or is this?
Speaker 2: Are they not?
Speaker 4: Not exclusively? But yeah, so last year was like a rare year where it didn't Pennix won those. I'm pretty sure was Pennis that won it.
Speaker 2: Okay, huh interesting? He good? Anyways, I just say good mostly because I don't.
Speaker 4: Know Jane Daniels did with Oh, I'm thinking of the Maxwell. Jane Daniels did win this last year. Yeah, it's been Hunter Daniels, Williams, Bryce Young, Davante Smith. Yeah. So mostly yeah, mostly the Shadows, and I'm thinking of the Maxwell words.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't have a you know, a care about who wins the Heisman, But just to watch all of you sickos lose your mind that it's not Ashton Gentry is enough for me. I'm good with that.
Speaker 4: Going historic season, he wins it. He would have won them last year against Jane Daniels, you would have.
Speaker 2: No Jenden dan is an unreal year at LSU.
Speaker 4: Last year it's his What gent's done is truly historic. You're not going to act it's a running back in college football player.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna is the Mountain West.
Speaker 4: He was doing it, and then why isn't everybody doing it? And Daniels did it in the SEC Then why isn't everybody doing it the most?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, this is not the point that we don't need to get bogged down.
Speaker 4: We're college football talk.
Speaker 2: God, this is just insufferable.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Anyways to the Travis Hunter point I have. I have also come around to Travis Hunter for the Patriots because my big thesis of this entire draft is that they have to come away with the player who's worthy of the pick. Right That's that's my big thesis. And I worry a little bit in this draft about the talent at the top. I don't think everybody that we have discussed or we will discuss is necessarily a top five pick every year, right, Like, That's the biggest thing to me is that I want to make sure that the Patriot it's secure a top five player. And you're in and year out right, a guy that would be a top five player in almost every single draft. It's not always going to happen that way. I understand that. You know, last year's draft, for example, was just exceptionally loaded at the top, right, you had blue chip seven eight blue chip players. Like that doesn't happen every single year. But on the whole, I want to come away with the guy that is a top five consensus talent. Travis Hunter is really the only guy that fits that mold. I would say, I think everybody else that you spot you speak about a non quarterback category, everyone has some tepredation about the pick. Right. It's yeah, Will Campbell's not tackle build, you know, doesn't have the arm length of a typical tackle.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Ted McMillan is not everybody's cup of team mine included, right, Like, that's not everybody's favorite style of receiver so to speak, or whatever. You know, guy like Mason Graham, who I watched I wanted to talk to a little talk about a little bit today. Awesome talent, but he's an interior defensive lineman, right Like, not usually a position that's considered premium level positions. So all these other guys have these types of warts in their profiles. It's pretty hard to find a war in Travis Hunter's profile, right, like maybe if it's your thing of like which side of the ball is he gonna play full time? And you know that. Navigating that whole conversation.
Speaker 4: I think there's because you know my thing. There's no such thing as a perfect prospect, ye, And there's two sides to that. It's also to say that you can say a guy has areas of improvement or weaknesses and still admit he's elite. An elite prospect to me, with Hunter, it's won the development plan and then just durability and some of that ties in with the development plan. But he's not exactly like he could probably put weight on. He's not exactly built. Yeah, that's if you're gonna play him a lot, either as your number one wide receivers, gonna be on the field a ton, or playing both ways. Like I think he probably needs to put some masks on or he's really gonna have some problems with injuries at the next level. It's doable, but you have to do it.
Speaker 2: I still think that he can play a wide receiver at a really high level. I got some flak on on the X machine yesterday about this, who said he couldn't Well, just I think some people, you mean, without putting on weight or just no, no, I just think some people if you're gonna.
Speaker 4: Send him over the middle like that, like he needs a little more questions.
Speaker 2: I think some people are of the thinking that Will Johnson, who declared yesterday, is one of the guys I wanted to talk about of his decision, which you know, a lot of people think Will Johnson is the best corner in the draft. A lot of people think that Teed McMillan is the best wide receiver in the draft. So now that those are Travis Hunter, so.
Speaker 4: Can I can I say something on that real quick? Because I tweeted earlier about McMillan and people jumped down my throat. I'm calling Tep McMillan the best receiver in the draft. I'm calling Will Johnson the best corner in the draft. Travis Hunter is the best Travis Hunter in the draft. He is his own thing. Okay, Okay, I am not classic, but but isn't that because like we don't know this. This goes to the whole thing that crawls up my ass about edge. Yeah, but this is why this is why we need it. Yeah, because all right, well, on some teams. He might be a defensive end. On some teams, he might be a linebacker. We don't know, so here's the way to rank them. Travis Hunter is my number one rank dual threat player in this draft. He's a separate conversation. You're not number one athlete. That's what this recruiting is. Yeah, good job college football there. Do you really think there's any team that's sitting there debating Travis Hunter the wide receiver, Like, Okay, we see Travis Hunter as a receiver. Yeah, and we're going to debate him versu ten Like. I don't think that's happening. It's the debate is more, do we want a player who has a defined position and we can just plug and play, or do we want this guy who's more talented but there's going to be more work on the part of the coaching staff to figure that out. That's the debate. If he is a wide receiver, he's the number one wide receiver, But we don't know if he's wide receiver because we don't know, and I don't think there is. There probably isn't a consensus among all thirty two teams. So tem McMillan wide receiver one Will Johnson corner one, and it helps that neither of those spots are debatable. Beyond Hunter, Burton's not the wide receiver one anymore. Maybe Chavone Revel would have got there if he didn't tear his acl Well, we're a few months away from getting to him. Travis Hunter is the number one Travis Hunter in the draft.
Speaker 2: That's such a hue answer. I would urge people to watch a little bit more than just casually watching college football on a college football Saturday with Travis Hunter at wide receiver. Travis Hunder at wide receiver really impressed me, like really did. His instincts and his ball skills are a lot better than I thought they would be. What I mean by instincts is just sort of feeling out coverages and soft spots and working over the middle of the field, and working with his quarterback and tandem with Shador and being able to kind of play that two man game with the two of those guys when he goes off script and off platform. Hands like excellent hands, body control, ability to finish through contact at the catch point, like all these little detailed minutias that we talk about. I think the only thing that he's sort of missing from that standpoint is like, uh, you know, real route running ability against Manton Man. Yeah, Like that's probably the next step for him, is like learning all the little tricks of the trade of how but like if you have him focusing on that position, then he'll catch on to those types of things Letticism pops and then I would just say, you know, those details, the ability to find a soft spot in his zone, the ability to work in tandem with the quarterback off script, the ability to like he has some unreal catches on his tape, like really great plays at the at the catch point. So I really came away from his film just thinking a lot more of him as a receiver than I thought, because I was of the mind as well that he was a corner, like you know, and he was a better corner, and he might still be a better corner. But then we get into the conversation of positional value and what's more important in that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: So all I had this too on Hunter. I think a lot of people who aren't big time college football fans, they watched Colorado early on last year when they kind of made that initial surge, didn't follow him down the stretch and then this year, they weren't in the national picture till very late. It's night and day last year to this year. If you're thinking of Travis Hunter the receiver last year, I understand why maybe you're not super sold. I wasn't at first. I had to go back and revisit it. His improvement at receiver from twenty twenty three to twenty twenty four is immense. So if you're basing it off of what you saw during that last year, he was just kind of running the space and Shular was throwing on the ball. He wasn't like playing receiver at a super technically high level. He added the technical part to the position this offseason. He clearly put its ton of work in.
Speaker 2: On it well, because I think he wants to play.
Speaker 4: Because I think he went right exactly because he saw it was possibility in the NFL. Probably didn't consider that before. So don't you gotta go off of that more than just that initial burst last year? Like he he got tremendously better from last year this year, and even over the course of this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I have a list here of things I wanted to to hit on with the draft as well. I know we already, we're gonna get one tech McMillan taken there because I have a I did research on something and so I have him on my declared list here. So let's start because I have a recency bias. Oh boy, I already we already go in recent I.
Speaker 4: Have one too. Let me tell check my notes. I think I have one too.
Speaker 2: So we're already going recency by which is fun. But I have some Let's get to like the new Zier items first. Okay, So the big one I wanted to talk about today was I got my hands on the help me here Oregon Penn State with Big ten Big Ten.
Speaker 4: I'm not even gonna knock you for not knowing the conferences at this point because.
Speaker 2: I didn't know before. I'm definitely not gonna note now. So the Big Ten championship game that was played last week in Oregon Penn State really fun game. I watched it live. We were even Jess was kind of into it. She was like, this is what the heck is going on?
Speaker 4: I was not expecting that to be a good game. Yeah, it was, especially following did you watch Texas Georgia till yes, a little bit.
Speaker 2: I didn't watch it as closely as I watched Oregon Penn State. But the two kind of big takeaways from Oregon Penn State. One, Abdul Carter is an absolute dude. Like that guy. I had him on my list of like top he was the top guy in my next tier. If the Patriots were to trade down a little bit. We talked about this when we were waiting to go out to practice today. I'm pretty close to moving him up into the S tier, Like he's.
Speaker 4: The worthy of a top five pick. You're not trading down, You're taking him on the spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that I'm close, And if he has a good playoff, then he's gonna definitely be in this list for me, I think the things that stand out about his game and you know this is what I mentioned to you earlier. Yeah, I'm really big on I don't tell me the number, don't tell me the position. I just want to turn on the tape and be able to point to the guy I'm.
Speaker 4: Supposed to be. You can just tell this guy's different.
Speaker 2: He is a different human being. Like he moves differently than everybody else on the field. He moves like a top ten, top five, top ten pick in an NFL draft. His explosiveness and his just twitch and athleticism is incredible. It's elite, right like he's he is shot out of a cannon. I think one of the things that stood out to me though, the most about this film against Oregon for Abdul Carter, his effort and his motor in this game were awesome, Like he he was into it right like and he was You don't know what those types of guys like. I get it. He's competing at a high stage. He should be into it. It's a box check for him. But let's face it, he's going to the NFL next year one way or another, right, and he's gonna be a top five pick, top ten pick in this draft coming up one way or another. Even though he didn't recover it. To watch him dive for that fumble, there's a lot of guys that make a business decision there and don't get on the ground for that ball.
Speaker 4: APEX competitor, Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: So I loved that aspect of that game. You know, he has the athleticism, you know that he has the big splash playability with his explosiveness and ability to get off the ball. I thought it was really cool to watch him compete in that game against Oregon, and really I thought in the second half of the game kind of took over at times in the pass rush, Like Oregon sort of got away from their drop back passing game because Abdul Carter was just wrecking the right tackle and they just had no choice, right They were like, we can't. Eleven's just gonna kill us if we drop back pass. So they started to run the ball and run screens and all the different Oregon crap that they run well, and.
Speaker 4: Penn State hurt themselves. They stopped rushing and they started playing them off the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they did a little spy stuff with him and a few drops with him in coverage. I didn't mind it as much watching back as a live I was like, what are you doing? But overall, I I don't know if I'm fully ready yet to put him in that you know, stick and pick category at three. But he's really darn close for me right now. And you know the exciting part about that. You start to talk about getting that defense back built up for the Patriots next season. How about Abdul Carter, Christian Barmore, Keon White coming at NFL quarterbacks next year? Like that is a legitimate pass rush. That is a problem with a pass rush. Then you have Christian Gonzalez of course in the secondary to number cover number one receivers barring the coaching holding them back, which it has the times this year, barring the coaching holding them back. That's that's a legitimate core in a young core at that as well. On the defense side of the ball. It's an exciting group if that's what you go with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean there's there's a ton of potential. There's a ton of upside there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And he's one of those guys too. You you mentioned him playing a little bit off the ball. He did that earlier on in his career at Penn State. He can also rush in line, like over the guard and over the center. He can stunt like you can loop him around and stuff like that. On stunts like there's just a lot of different things that you can do with an explosive player like that. You know, we were trying to come up with a comp for him. I think it's unfair to compare guys to Micah Parsons, Like I wouldn't put anybody in Micah Parsons's category, But he does worry number eleven. He does go to Penn State. He is a screamer. Like there's a lot of you know, maybe Michaeh Parsons light just to be polite to Abdul Carter and Michaeh Parsons, but exciting player. The other guy that you know is the focus when I was watching, of course, was Josh connerly the left tackle for Oregon. So a couple of things that stand out about him. First of all, I've been big on this true junior. He's only twenty, he's gonna be twenty one years.
Speaker 4: All these guys are. It's a weird thing with his class pretty much. All these guys are true juniors. And just to piggyback off of that because I love this element of it. So Will Campbell, Kelvin Banks also true juniors. Yeah, the number one offensive line recruit in that class, not Will Campbell, not Kelvin Banks, was Josh Connery. Yeah, Banks, Campbelon Banks jumped in because they started all three years. They started as true freshman. Connory was buried in Oregon, I think either as one and a half or two full years as a starter. But we know that Bill would do this right, go back and look at the high school rankings and maybe did something get lost in the wash at the college level that we can top out on. Three years ago, Josh Connery was considered the best of these three players.
Speaker 2: So he's clearly got in my mind, and not top half of the first round, but first round athleticism. Like he's got first round physical tools to his game, springy right out of his stance, can mirror the edge, did a really nice job on multiple reps running Abdul Carter pass the quarterback, Like, he can get to those spots and he can push guys past the QB and he can pass protect on an island. He's an athletic guy, so he can reach and he can move in the run game, have a couple of really good poles and climbs and reaches an outside zone and like all that good stuff. So when you start to talk about assuming it's Alex van Pelt, assuming it's Scott Peters, you know, back here again next year for the Patriots. He fits the mold of like a zone blocking left tackle right, Like you have an athletic guy that can move at the position, that can pin pole and that can crack toss and that can outside zone, that can pass protect on an island, that left tackle. He fits the mold. Now, some of the things that I saw in his game, there are some holes, Like there's gonna be some you know. It's kind of like a swing in baseball where you have like one part of your swing that just has a hole in it, right, Like he has that with his past sets where he'll open the the inside a little bit too much much in play with a soft inside shoulder. He's gonna have to clean that up, you know, not over set and get himself extended to the outside. You know, ab Dual Carter beat him a few times by going back inside, right, he would set to the outside, he'd get to the apex of the rush, and then Dual Carter would hit him with you know, like a swim or a little stab or something and get back to the inside. He's gonna have to clean that up a little bit. He's not the biggest people mover, Like this is not a downhill run blocking tackle. But if you're gonna be a stretch, you know, outside zone type of run game and you want somebody that can pass protect and protect the edge, he fits the bill. He fits the mold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, and I think he's the guy. Again. He has less experience, so that's why he's not there with campbellon Banks, but projected second round right now. I don't know that that stays. But that guy we talked about Josh Simmons last week, I think he's that guy. People want Josh Simmons to be. Where you can take Travis Hunter, Teed McMillan, Abdul Carter at the top of the draft and still get your potential franchise tackle. It's more second pick than second round. You're probably gonna have to move up. Can you move up into the twenties and take him? It's kind of moved they should consider making agree. But he has legitimate franchise tackle upside, He's not as polished as the other two. He's what I call a year one starter, maybe more than a day one starter. But I mean, if they we were talking earlier about Cam Robinson, you come out with Cam Robinson on a one year deal and Josh Connolly with your second pick, I would say that they've properly addressed the tackle position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, he's the guy that look and I want to see him in the playoff and like, let's see some more tape. I've only watched one game. I have the Ohio State game loaded for the plane, so we'll watch that one too.
Speaker 4: But then Oregon's in that that murderer's row of the bracket where he's either gonna get James Pearce or Jack Sawyer.
Speaker 2: In the first row, right, So he's already played Ohio State right once before earlier this year. So I'm gonna watch that on the plane on Friday to Arizona, so I'll.
Speaker 4: So he'll do that, and then he'll either get in the first round playoff, either get a Hio State again or Tennessee, which James Pearce is another first round edge rushing. Yeah, so'd be good to see because he's gonna get some quality, quality reps here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'd be good to see because the one thing that I worry about with him a little bit is his play strength and his anchor, Like I think he can get pushed around at times, but at the same time.
Speaker 4: Pierce isn't the guy to judgem against because Pierce is a fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So like that was like sort of as the game were on, And I love the chess match between a good pass rusher and a tackle because like Abdul Carter kept on trying to beat him around the edge, and you're not gonna beat Josh Connerly around the edge, like he's got too much athleticism and he's too quick on his feet. It's gonna be really hard to do that. But as the game we're on, all of a sudden, Abdul Carter was like, oh, well, if I go really hard for three steps out, then he's going to open the inside and I can swim back into the inside. So that was sort of that, you know, we'll see what a guy like James Pierce like if he opens up again, right, Like, does he get himself opened up and over commit to the outside rush, then he'll give up the inside.
Speaker 4: Was that your recency bias guy?
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't, okay, But I was impressed with the game that I watched. Now a lot of people would tell you that the Big Ten Championship game was his best game of the year, So I'll have to watch some more with him.
Speaker 4: You know where a ceiling is, though, and that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know where his ceiling is. And I would also just say, as much as you know, I don't necessarily wholly agree with this take if you want to start building, you know, mock drafts or go through scenarios where they still can pick. You know, the three guys that you mentioned, Hunter, McMillan, Carter at the top of the draft and then still get a tackle with real premium starter upside. Then Connerly I think fits that. Bill. He might be that guy at thirty four in this draft.
Speaker 4: I don't think he's falling that far. But do you move thirty four, maybe that third you got for Judah and a future pick get up to the twenties. Yeah, and that's I second round pick in second pick, need to they're not anonymous for this team. There's real arguments we made their second pick should be in the first round.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 4: And if so, Connorly is the exact kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Okay, So a few more guys that declared, and then we'll get to recency byas Mason Graham declared. And I don't think anybody's surprised by that. So what I saw with Mason Graham throw on his table real quick.
Speaker 4: Sorry, cutch Off. Yeah, none of these guys have None of these have been surprises. There's one guy every year was Fashan who a couple of years ago. Remember, Yeah, that is like a top fifteen pick that, for one reason or the other goes back to school still waiting to see who that is because we haven't had that surprise yet this year. Yes, class can't afford it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Mason Graham. I made this comparison when I was texting you about him. I see a lot of Brandon Fiskey with the Rams and Mason Graham maybe like a more complete pro style defensive tackle, maybe a little bit better against the run. But Brandon Fiskey has had an awesome year for the Rams, and you see a lot of the same traits with Mason Graham. Just really quick into his gaps, you know, shot out of cannon off the ball, explosive, high motor, a bunch of different pass rush moves that he can use in his arsenal. His arm over is his best, but he has a couple of different ones. A really good push poll too, which is a nice compliment to the arm over. He's got some stuff in his toolbox and uh, and you see these combinations of things that he has. I would say, is that your fourth water of this show?
Speaker 4: I'm well, one of them is like frozen, so there's still a bunch in there, but it doesn't help me.
Speaker 2: But yeah, uh, My thing with Mason Graham is that in the NFL, I think he's a three technique through and through, Like I don't think that this is I was hoping that maybe he was gonna be a little bit stouter to play him over the tax Yeah, so you could play him in Barmore together more regularly. To me, I'm just not necessarily seeing the great fit because you're gonna also have to have Keon White rush on the interior on third downs two, So like now you're talking about getting three true interior guys all on the field at the same time, and I don't know if there's a path to that necessarily for the Patriots. I didn't love some of Mason Graham his run defense tape. I think he plays with high pads. I think he gets moved off the ball a little bit too much. So the further away that you move him away from the ball, the harder it's gonna be for him to just penetrate and make plays in the backfield. So he's got a play of like I would say as a three technique, pure three technique in between the guard, in the in the tackle, like that's his natural position. So you start talking about how does the puzzle pieces fit together, It's a little bit about like Ted McMillan and T Higgins, right, like, how do the puzzle pieces fit together? Really really high end talent. I just don't necessarily know if it makes a lot of sense for the Patriots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, same thing I said last week. If that's the kind of player you want, and not that high of an investment on that guy, trade down, take Dean Walker. Add more, you can't burn that pick on a player that Look, they need blue chip talent, and he's blue chip talent. But Christian Barmore is one of the few blue chip players you have. You don't I talk about upgrades in additions when we come to the draft, where an upgrade is a better version of a player you already have. And I don't even think Graham's an upgrade. But they need additions. They need guys that bring things they don't have. Graham's a really good player, and they need good players, but they happen to have a guy that does what he does at a high level.
Speaker 2: You basically would have three guys that all want to rush on the guards, right, and you can only have two guys that rush on the guard on any given play, right, So at that point, trying to find that that usually would mean someone's playing at a position or not to their strength. Right, So you're trying to find the pieces. Whereas like a guy like Abdul Carter clearly an edge rusher, right, then.
Speaker 4: He's your Matthew jud Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, you can see how those puzzle pieces fit together. The other guy that declared who I feel similarly about, but also one of these you know, blue chip town Will Johnson, who we talked a little bit about earlier. He declared out of Michigan as well. What I do like about Will Johnson goes back to my true junior thing. We all knew Will Johnson was going to be a top ten pick in this draft last year after the National Championship Game, right, Like he was already there. This was like a bonus year for him in college just because he had to get to the minimum requirement to be eligible for the NFL. So I don't really put a whole lot of stock in his tape or I know he had some like injuries and some issues this year.
Speaker 4: He got hurt six games in and then there were some questions about like was he doing the most he could get back?
Speaker 2: He might have shut down. Yeah, yeah, I don't necessarily knock guys for that. I know some people do. I know it's not some people's cup of teacas. They want competitors and all that kind of stuff. I don't necessarily not guys for that as much. You know. I'll give you a great example of the Jamar Chase.
Speaker 4: Jamar Chase is the one everybody goes back to.
Speaker 2: Jamar Chase said the exact same thing. It hasn't done anything.
Speaker 4: Well, no, he literally just sat out the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh he he did pretty good in the NFL. Leonard Fournette like a little bit, remember like he goes back to LSU.
Speaker 4: For that last yearn Marvin Harrison, there were some question well not games, but like he didn't even do the pro day. Yeah, we've heard of guys sitting out the combine, but didn't he sit out his pro day? There was something weird where like he wasn't doing things that everybody else was doing.
Speaker 2: So needless to say, I don't put a ton of stock in that kind of stuff. But Will Johnson, just what are your thoughts on him as a prospect.
Speaker 4: Really good man corner, like he is a Bill Belichick corner. He's got the length, he's got the mirroring skills, he's got the instincts. He's not an elite, elite athlete, but he's like Gonzales. He's not quite the athlete Gonzalez is, for instance, but I think he's more polished than Gonzalez was coming out. Just technically, he's amazing technically and for a team like the Patriots, Okay, Gonzalez, who's the athlete? So how many times are you going to face two teams with two receivers? Right? So him and Gonzales within two years would probably be top three, if not the best corner to tandem in the league. And it's different than Mason Graham. People hear me say this, right, Oh, you just said they shouldn't draft Mason Graham. This overlap. Well, you can put two corners, two boundary corners on the field at the same time. It's harder with you know, rushing rushing up the middle. So if that's the route the Patriots want to go, I'd understand it. I'd probably rather trade down spread the wealth. This is not a great cornerback draft if that's where they want to make a premium edition. So I'll I mentioned this name earlier just to kind of put the bow on it. Chevon Revel, who I'm gonna guess you haven't done any work on. I don't know if you're familiar with him. So there's only one other corner projected to go in the first round this year, or at least it you know, was projected going in the first round, Jeavon Revel from ECU, and he tore his ACL midway through the season, so we'll see what happens with him. Benjamin Morrison from Notre Dame has kind of been in the conversation as well as well, But.
Speaker 2: Like, this draft stinks.
Speaker 4: If you want a blue chip corner, yeah it's Will Johnson or again, Travis Hunter is his own thing, the number one Travis Hunter in the draft. But if you want that guy to pair full time with Christian Gonzales, it's probably Will Johnson. Do you want to do that or would you rather spread it?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'm not really super high on doing that. I think it's more of like a philosophical thing where I feel like, if they build a pass rush then I think their corners are good enough that they can cover on the back end. Right now, I say the biggest problem with the Patriots defense is not their cornerbacks. It's their coverage or their pass rush. To excuse me, So I would look at that, you know, the Patriots right now, just analytically. I believe there. It fluctuates every week. I think it's twenty seventh right now in the league in pressure rate. Like that to me is the number one issue with this pass defense. It's that they can't get to the quarterback. I don't think that their corners have been terrible by any stretch of the imagination. Now do they need that what we always talk about, that big outside guy right that can play the boundary against bigger receivers opposite Gonzales, Yeah, they do. But I wonder if that's Alex Austin a little bit. I wonder if that's a free agency.
Speaker 4: I think that's more a free agency. We talked about Carlton Davis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Carlton Davis or you know, any one of these guys that are going to be you know, there are a couple I'm not banking on some of their names right now. Yeah, I know DJ Moore is like the other wise or not DJ Reid, but he's he's kind of like a Jonathan Jones replacement more than he would be, you know, that kind of guy. But I look at free agency and I wonder if you can get even just like you know, I keep I always think of the Bills getting Rasoul Douglas. He's just a really solid NFL cornerback, right. He's not he's not Christian Gonzalez, right, but he's just a really solid NFL cornerback. Like I would almost rather go that direction and free agency and maybe pay ten twelve million for a corner that can just come in and play that spot, then draft somebody like Will Johnson. He's really technically sound, really smooth. What I love about Will Johnson is there's zero panic to his game, no which when you see patient, calm corners, you know that they just trust their God.
Speaker 4: Let me this way, Bill was still here, that's the pick.
Speaker 2: It'd be at the top of their board.
Speaker 4: I will on Revel real quick. I'm watch him at some point. So you and Ecu Corner going in the first round, it's like, what's going on? Well, Toledo Corner went in the first, right, but he was special. Yeah, so Reveel also Qui Quin Mitchell had multiple years. Sean Revel really only has one full year of tape. Let's say he falls a little bit, they have those two third round picks, Like, if he really falls, I wouldn't mind them taking a shot on him at day two, Like that would be an interesting pick.
Speaker 2: Doubt to me, it would be. If we're gonna draft corner draft, that's where I would do it. Third or fourth round draft the trades guy, right draft, a longer trades guy.
Speaker 4: He's like six three one ninety elite.
Speaker 2: App Yeah, go find your your wrek oneling right.
Speaker 4: I don't know that he'll fall that far. I think he might still end up being at fifty pick. Medical testing will be big from obviously, but uh, if he starts to fall, like he should absolutely be on their radar.
Speaker 2: Yep. All right, last one on the declared list, and then we'll get to the last couple of calls, emails, recency, bias, all that good stuff. Everybody's favorite tech McMillan declared for the NFL Draft. No shocker there whatsoever. So we have an email here from a regular listener. This is John in Louisiana, and he said that he believes that my dislike of Tech McMillan dislikes probably strong, just not. I'm not over the moon about Tech McMillan. My luke warm feelings about Tet McMillan are because he's not my type of receiver that I like. This is true, that I like the fast, twitchy guys. Now John takes a little too far. John says that if Mike Evans was in this draft, I would not like Mike Evans. And that's taking it a little god too far.
Speaker 4: Remembering Mike Evans in college. No, you, Johnny Manzil, it's all give you know. I could see you being out on Johnny Manziel. I could see Johnny Manziel, Sure, sorry on on Yeah, I was out on Manziel. I could see being out on Mike.
Speaker 2: I loved Mike Evans in college. I was. I was a Mike Evans guy. I was. I thought he made Johnny Manziel and that's not revision.
Speaker 4: No, it's true. But like you weren't hardened yet by the process.
Speaker 2: That's true. That's true. I haven't been current.
Speaker 4: You look at that, you would have you would have were Oh well, you know, they're too worried about Manzel running around.
Speaker 2: And I could see feel about Mike Evans.
Speaker 4: I think you would feel the same way you can do about McMillan. I think you would say I like him, but I don't love him.
Speaker 2: You know how I feel about Mike Evans. Mike Evans to me, Mike the NFL player, Mike Evans the what we the NFL player fine, the Tampa Bay buccaneer. Mike Evans has graduated in the category of I will not player comp college prospects to Mike Evans. He is too good. We have graduated Mike Evans to the to the elite, uh, you know, elite club right where like we can't comp players to Randy Moss, we don't comp players to Mike Evans, right Like, that's that's just where we're at. For me personally with Mike Evans.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's a good rule. I every year the number one tight end is Baby Gronk. Yeah, like they can't all be because he's one of one, right, So the Bowers he's pretty good. He's not Gronk, but he's pretty good.
Speaker 2: I still stand by my take on Teed McMillan for right, now I think he's a first round prospect. Like, don't, don't get it twisted, like I'm not fifteen prospect probably in this draft. Yeah, but my biggest concern about it is what I just said. In this draft, right like in other drafts at that position, like last year's wide receiver group, it's a loaded group. I get that, but he's still wide receiver four at best in that class last year? Is he not? Like he's not ahead of Harrison Neighbors in a donesay, Like he's just not as good of a prospect as that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I agree. All right, well, so then let's do this one three. Tell me want to stop Flowers? That was also a bad receiver draft. All right, so time we're to stop Zay Flowers. Yeah, Jackson Smith and Jigba Yeah, Jordan Addison.
Speaker 2: Stop. He's better than than Adison. He's definitely a player, and he's also definitely better than the kid in Quentin Johnson.
Speaker 4: Yea, yeah, you don't like quin I'm glad you said stop because I was trying. I can't. I was like, I can't say Quentin Johnson, Josh Downs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, he's better than those guys, Okay, I I thought that, you know, I love in that class. I thought Jason. I thought jays N was the best receiver in that class. Even I thought you would say, no, I had jays N even though I even though I love Zay personally, I I had j s N better. And jays N has been great by the way for Seattle this year.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: But uh, I can't come around on Ted McMillan just yet. I think the two things that look it's you could be right, John. I'll allow for this one hundred and ten percent. This could be a personal issue. This could be me the one thing that I can't the two things that I can't come away from thinking. Number one, it's not that they need Taekwon Thornton. They don't need four to two, right, But I just want some vertical stretch element with Drake May like the one you can't go and be a slow offense with a quarterback that can rip it sixty five yards Like that's just gonna drive me absolutely nuts. Like can we get somebody on this team please, that can get up the field, like somebody right that he can throw deep too, like what I keep going back to, and I know he didn't play a ton at UNC, there wasn't a ton of overlap. Yeah, but like tedes Walker right, like he's a one trick pony and that's why he was drafted you know later, and wasn't drafted super high. But Ted Walker could run by people, and Drake make get him the ball running by people. The second thing that I can't get over and this is me. This is a personal issue. Don't scout the helmet. I know that. The Arizona thing, I can't do it. Like I can't watch Somebody tell Teddy Brusk, I I can't watch Ted McMillan run through New Mexico's defense and get all gassed up about it. I just can't or like watching him run through soft zones in the middle of the field, because that's what every freaking team plays out there in this in this god.
Speaker 4: Forsaken every team plays in and by the way you would.
Speaker 2: I can't go out there, nice. I can't go out there and watch and be like all jazzed up that he took a dig route that with like no one around him, and I turned up field and ran for.
Speaker 4: Ford does after the catch is impressive.
Speaker 2: It's impressive, but like he's gonna be in phone boosts in the NFL, there's gonna be people around him that's every.
Speaker 4: Receiver, Like, you can only gauge him against the competition he's facing.
Speaker 8: Else.
Speaker 2: I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I don't see enough film that translates to the lead right, like, And that's the part that worries me about Ted McMillan. He's extremely talented. The traits are all there. He's six ' five, he's two fifteen, he moves like a smaller guy. Like. I see all of it from an eye test standpoint. What I don't see are like the translatable clips that I can cut out and I can say, here's him winning at the college level, and here's how that's going to translate to the pro level. And a lot of that has to do with the schedule that Arizona plays and like the types of defense that they play at that level. It's all like we're gonna play quarters and we're gonna play soft zone like that type of stuff just doesn't It's hard to translate that to the league. Now, his traits might translate, right, but I'm just worried about again, the bigger picture, are you still slow on the offensive side of the ball.
Speaker 4: And I said this to you last week. I don't think he's as slow as you think he is, Okay, I think because he's so big and he's all legs right, he looks he moves so naturally he moves. Ever you think he's a glider, I think he's a glider. I'm gonna be very interested to see what he runs. We did the whole rumored high school forty yard dash thing like we did last year. The rumor is four or five flat.
Speaker 2: If he runs a four, If he runs any four or five, I'm gonna say I confirm my priors. If he runs in the four to four is I will watch again.
Speaker 4: Change I can't. I'm trying to find the origin of this because I had multiple people send it to me, and I cannot find the origin. But enough people sent it to me that I'll pull the Felburn maz Here in brown check Market, you always say, well, you know, the forty time is great, but where what's the data? Say? What does the tracker say? Supposedly on one of his poll aways from I know it's New Mexico, but God, don't go New Mexico doesn't impact how fast he's running. Okay, he got up to twenty two miles an hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's like because he had a runway to get up to twenty two miles an hour. Right. The best part about Tag McMillan to me is that he's super smooth at six foot five. Yeah, right, he transitions really smoothly at the top of the route. He's bendy, he's he's got great body control. He's got a great ability to snap off routes. He has that ability to like come out of the gate, get the corner in the pedal, and then snap right out of it, right, And he can flexibly bend and cut in all that. Yeah, that at six foot five is not easy to do. Like, that's a rare trait. But look, it's just John's half right in this email. By the second half, I would have liked Mike Evans, all right, but this is the first half. It's not my cup of tea. It's he's not my type of guy. And we get to recency bias. You'll understand what I mean.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I just I'm interested to see what he runs at the fort. Let me ask you this just so you can clarify for yourself. Yeah, would you call him slow or would you call him not fast? Because there is not fast?
Speaker 2: Okay, and I want I want personally in this again.
Speaker 4: You want speed, and that's fine. I just it's a personal thing to clarify. If you want to say he's not fast, I would agree. He's not a burner. He's not Isaiah Bond, he's not Savior where He's not one of these guys. He's not slow either. He's not Quentin Johnson. He's not you know people Harry.
Speaker 2: And Johnson I think was actually fast.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think of who these big like, yeah, thank you perfect. He's not Keon Coleman. He's not one of these big receivers that just lugs around the field. And it's just well, I'm bigger and stronger than you, so I'm gonna dominate you without like because I feel like when you say, oh, you know, big receiver who's not fast, people think that he's not slow.
Speaker 2: No, and and he's a lot. The thing that gives me hope about Ted McMillan, uh, if the Patriots were to draft him, is that what I saw with Uh that I learned from Nikhil Harry and what I saw with Quinton Johnston and what I saw a little bit with Kean Coleman as well is stiffness, right, like they they are roboty. He's not. He is not, And so that does give me hope. Those guys are had two left feet right, like they just were a stiff robot. They didn't break down well, they didn't have flexibility in their hips, like you could just see it, like they just moved like robots. That's not Ted McMillan, Tech McMillan's an athlete. Tech macmillans is really smooth. All right, let's get to some of these calls and then we'll wrap up with recency buys. AJ is in Brighton. What's up, AJ?
Speaker 8: Nope, Hey, you feel had a good week, you know, so I wanted to ask.
Speaker 4: I was watching.
Speaker 8: Thursday Night football with my mom last week and was explaining the concept of hashmarks to her and like why Jared Goff went to the other side to take me for the kick, And then just just watching college football and you know, looking at the end of the Georgia Texas game, that was a crazy difficult kick the guy hit because of like how like the angle he had to take. So I was just curious to ask, like, in terms of like kicker evaluations, how does that come into play, and just going towards next year, what are the kind of kickers that we should be looking at to bring to the team, just because clearly Joey Slide is not locked in like he's been good, but we're definitely gonna take to look at that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, cool, good college college hash marks and kicker evaluation, that's your call. Let's go, that's your call.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 2: That adrenaline rush I got from that all of a sudden, you don't feel sick anymore.
Speaker 4: No, I really know. I legitally just got an adrenaline rush because I was waiting for you to just lose your mind over that call.
Speaker 2: That's what gives you an adrenaline rush.
Speaker 4: Your reaction to it, and then I jumped the gun. Bill's gonna have to really play the hashes now. This is another thing we're gonna have to see a manage that we've never seen.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think college ashes does it right, do you? I do?
Speaker 4: I like it. They're different.
Speaker 2: I think it does it right in college because to the caller's point, with kickers, it's obviously a different angle, which I think is it's more legitimate, like that's where the ball actually was on the field. The other thing that I like about the college hashes is like you have to make a true far hash throw right, Like that's not like the far hash throws in the NFL are are not quite the same.
Speaker 4: Anyways, give me the only reason I don't like it. I think, with how much speed there is in the modern NFL, defenses wouldn't have a chance with Detroit in the field. It would be I mean, games would be in the fifties. Yeah, every ear.
Speaker 2: That's a good point.
Speaker 4: Howard works for scouting college kickers from people I've talked when every team does it differently, but just people I've talked in the past, the big thing you look at scouting kickers and punters is kind of like scouting pitchers, where what teams really want to see your motion? Right, how consistent is it? Because when kickers start to miss, it's inconsistencies in the motion. So you're going to have the same follow through, it's going to change a little bit when you get way out to that far hash. But like they just want to see how well you can repeat your motion, how muscle memory it is, you're not really scouting, you know, make percentages. It is a tougher kick when you get out there, especially when you're up close, But I don't think that impacts the scouting at times. As for what kind of kicker the Patriots should look for, I like the Belichick philosophy of get a guy who has experienced kicking in the elements. I don't want like a lifetime Southern kicker, Dome kicker in New England. Dominic Zavada is Michigan's kicker, was the viewed as the top kicker in the draft. He's going back to school, so maybe that's the surprise. The guy I look at is Jonah Dalmas from Boise State. I did a players to watch on a championship weekend. I did not have genty for Boise State. For the Patriots, I had Jonahdalmas. So there you go. That's growth. Good for you, massive massive leg. He's obviously kicking up there in Boise they go up to Wyoming, they kick there. He's been one of the more accurate kickers. He's not exactly like a sniper, but he's been good. I like him. I don't know that he's the best overall kicker in this draft. I know we had a rough game. I like Brett Auburn from Texas. I think he's a good kicker. I got to get familiar with some of these other guys. But Jonah Dalmas to me the really big leg. I'd call it professional accuracy. Where again, he's not an elite, but it's it's within the range you want in the NFL. And he's consistent, he's experienced. Four your starter are all at Bois or sorry, five year starter all at Bois. So that's my guy.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's on kickers. Can I respond to the chat real quick? I don't normally do this, but there's some blasphemy going on in this chat.
Speaker 4: Right You shouldn't look at the chat. This is why I look at the chat.
Speaker 2: There's some blasphemy being talked about in the chat right now.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I try. I've tried to be less less full of myself on the air a little bit, Alex, all right, I've been trying. I've been trying not to be as braggy about certain things. Sitting here, saying that I'm bad with wide receivers is blasphemy, all right, All of my rankings for the last like four or five years are all public, by the way, so you can go ahead and look at all these things. If there's one position in the draft that I'm pretty good at, and if I can toot my own horn for a second, wide receivers, is it all right? Like that's like the one position that I've done, I will put my track it's Taekwon.
Speaker 4: Man. You kept going back to Taekwon once he was here.
Speaker 2: Okay, but that's different.
Speaker 4: No, but that's why people think you're bad.
Speaker 2: But I'm contractually obligated to hype up Taekwon Thornton as a patriot, Okay, like that. Unfortunately that comes with the territory of working in this building. Okay, you have to be a little bit open minded to some guys, uh that you don't necessarily see it with. Okay, but this type of stuff, I'll put my tracker up with wide receivers up against anyone. I think you can vouch for me on this.
Speaker 4: No, you're you're you're pretty good with receiving. Were you in on Garrett Wilson people saying you were out on here?
Speaker 2: Of course I was in on Garrett Wilson.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, that's the exact kind of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I did. I might have had a lave ahead of you.
Speaker 4: Saw Lobby is a true freshman where you text me you said, yeah, where's this guy supposed to go? I said, in two years?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can look it up. I still I have all of my spreadsheets. Uh, well, you should do at some point. Is that's retroactively. But that's twenty one draft, right?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah that was the Matchell's draft. You should you should like start doing a collective wide receiver board.
Speaker 2: So like, oh no, it's twenty two draft.
Speaker 4: Put the guy No. Twenty two is in Jigba.
Speaker 2: No, that's twenty three.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm thinking twenty twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Two is like Jamar Chase and those guys.
Speaker 4: You should you should do like a collective wide receiver board. You can't do it now because it's it's retroactive. So people are gonna be, oh, well, you know, hindsight's twenty twenty, but rank all the receivers from the last five years, include this year's class, and like do it all as one big board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I had, you know, more way I do migratings, you know, like a seven or above is like an instant star in the league. I had Garrett Wilson with a seven. I had as an instant star in the NFL. I had Chris O Lave. Uh so I split it up at the time. I split it up between Z slot X, so I don't have these all, you know, perfectly aligned here. Yeah, but I added Jamison Williams, who I feel like I still am right about even though it hasn't been great.
Speaker 4: I was a big Jameson Williams gus, so I'll give you that one. Yeah, it hasn't been great, like he's been great when he's on the field. That's more like he just the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jamison Williams a lave.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Garrett Wilson, Drake London.
Speaker 2: That was my time?
Speaker 4: Was there another first round?
Speaker 2: Traylon Burks was the other one, neither of us like no I had. I had Christian Watson, Traylon Burks, George Pickens, Alec Pierce.
Speaker 4: Here was that I had one guy like oddly high that year and I can't remember who. I always have that one guy that It's like, it wasn't Bryce Ford Wheaton. He might have been in that class, but it wasn't him. Oh, I'll give you one you were wrong on just because I saw it on the list. I hate to do this to you, sky Moore. Yeah, all right, well let's do this. Let's make this educational. Why did you miss what you learned?
Speaker 2: That's a good point. I haven't watched like a ton of him in Kansas City played an right, so I I I don't know for a fact that this could be a fun offseason show. The biggest thing at the prospect we were high on what you miss. I think the biggest thing that I missed was sky Moore was a lot of his stuff was in the slot against like linebackers and safeties and stuff like that. Then you get to the league and everybody's playing nickel and you're going up against nickel corners that can cover people.
Speaker 4: When he was at Western Michigan, he was in the max.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and then the word the probably the other thing you know that I've evolved and learned the most about receivers is at the NFL level, how important finishing and playing through contact is. I think that's probably been sky Moore's biggest problem. Yeah, is you just can't get off physical coverage if you can't do that, and That's why, like I always get a little bit like about receivers that play that just run through zones in college all the time, because in the league, you're gonna get bumped, you're gonna get battered, you're gonna get pressed, you're gonna get all of this stuff, and if you can't finish through all of that, then you're gonna I.
Speaker 4: Think this is a good offseason topic. I'll do it too. Would you miss what you learned? The two guys I had John Metchi's a first round pick that year. Yeah, which obviously we'll see. The other guy was super high on Wondale Robinson. I was super there were the Kentucky guys that here is Wandale Robinson and Darien Knord.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wanted all the Kentucky guys that.
Speaker 2: Y're all right, let's take DC is in New Hampshire. What's up DC?
Speaker 9: Hey, guys, quick pop quiz for you, because I think there is a right answer here. Okay, so outside of Mike, who do you who do you think is the best O lineman the Pats have drafted in the last five years?
Speaker 2: Right off the top of your head, Oh man, the best O Lignement in the last five years.
Speaker 4: I mean, well, let's go back, so it's near the guy. Neither guys this year they ever really played.
Speaker 2: I mean twenty three was five years probably Isaiah Win.
Speaker 4: That's more five years ago. That was twenty eighteen nineteen. Is it Isaiah Win?
Speaker 2: That's six years.
Speaker 5: I think the answer is play hold.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, oh that was your big yell to pro guy. Fair.
Speaker 6: Fair.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, Justin Barran.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, y'all de for a hold. It's a good shout. That's fair.
Speaker 5: We got we got.
Speaker 9: The the All Day Revenge game coming up.
Speaker 2: Remember he's been really good, he's center.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nice to have him.
Speaker 9: But a quick question that, since you were talking about the big board of receivers, I'm curious maybe in the last couple of years, where you'd have Travis Hunter the receiver on there, because I'm getting more and more convinced and uh uh persuaded to going all in on Travis Hunter if he's there. And I might be in the minority of this, but I think the past draft them. We are drafting Travis Hunter the receiver. That is who I would want, and I'm just curious where you have him on that big board of receivers. Thanks guys, love the show.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 4: You might be in the minority. But like I'm with you, I think if they draft Travis Hunter, they do it primarily as a receiver.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, and I would have him as the best receiver in the draft in this dull.
Speaker 4: But what he was saying is like, all right, so Harrison Neighbors of Doonesday, where you saw him? Oh but hie and all three of those behind all three of them, Brian Thomas. I'd probably put him ahead of Brian Thomas. I probably would put him Xavier Worthy. I forget where you had thomasin Worthy.
Speaker 2: I would probably I had Thomas ahead of Worthy. I think I would probably put Travis Hunter in the same tier as Romadonsay, but behind Roemadonsay. So like I would have Ted McMillan, to me, would be in that next tier. Like I don't think he's belonged after Yeah, but I think that Travis Hunter would be with the Donsay. But I really thought Marvin Harrison and Malik Neighbors are rare, rare problems.
Speaker 4: So JSN, Quentin Johnson, Jay Flowers, Jordan Addison, he might be the best receiver in that draft that draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, besides maybe JSN, js N was a really good prospect.
Speaker 4: Jamison Williams, Garret Wilson, Chris Olave, Drake London.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's in the in the epar echelon of that one too.
Speaker 4: I'd probably go Williams, Lave Wilson. I put him head of Drake London.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, I wasn't a big Drake London guy. Shock. All right, right, let's wrap it up with recency bias. So, uh, my recency bias pick is not going to shock you in the least bit.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna be bummed. I was like, who didn't we talk about yet?
Speaker 2: We haven't talked about him?
Speaker 4: I know so well, we have this weekend we have, but is so stupid.
Speaker 2: No, okay, we've talked about him, but we haven't talked about him lately. Because you told me about this player last year that I was gonna love this player this year was and you could not have been more correct. My friends, Oh is it Tory Horton, No, geez, Luther Burden. Oh yeah, Luther Burden. This dude is my type of dude. This is your counter point.
Speaker 4: You don't like receivers, Luthor Bird, I do this every year, Zavier were the same thing. I know the receivers you want, so Luther Bird and everybody's knocked on Luther Bird and is that he's had some like you know, little diva wide receiver tirades like I don't care, Okay, I don't care. Luther Burden explosive, explosive, explosive, right like, this guy is explosive at every level of the defense, explosive. With the ball in his hands, he can win routes down the field with explosiveness and separation ability down the field.
Speaker 2: I love the Swiss army knife element right like. You can do all sorts of different gadgety type things with him as well. But man, oh man, is that guy just shot out of a cannon like double moves verticals from the slot, just ball cat you know, yards after catch, you know, catch and run type routes, that sort of thing, my comp Right now, I'm gonna be a little bit like you and go a little outside the box. I see a lot of the same sort of elements of usage and body type as Deebo Samuel. Yeah, I see the route running of his Za flowers like I think that it's like if those two guys had like just for evan football wide receiver, baby, it would be Luthor Burden, right, And I'm really high on Luther Burden. I I love the film. You knew it was coming.
Speaker 4: You put him ahead of te McMillan.
Speaker 2: Uh, I can't cantus about him like this because McMillan. I can't allow my skill set bias to set in too much, right like I can't he is. I would draft him if I was building an offense, because that's the type of offense I would want to build, right like I would want to build the Miami Dolphins, right, like I would put all the speed on the world on the field. I don't think that he's I think he's a little different than Jalen Waddle, but I could see the some overlap and usage and style and that kind of stuff as Jalen Wattle as well. Just look this is this is a big play, Like, you give this guy the ball, He's gonna make a big play, really exciting player. I thought he was off.
Speaker 4: When you do your ranks, who's going to be number one?
Speaker 2: I'd probably I probably am gonna not let my my biases get in the way, and I'd probably put tet McMillan in.
Speaker 4: Everything you said about McMillan before, or why.
Speaker 2: I think because I keep on coming back to the fact with McMillan that he's a loose athlete, Like he's not this stiff Nikhil Harry robotic athlete. So I see, I see it. I do see it with him. It's just not my cup of tea, and I can't I don't want to let that get in the way. If I was building the offense, and we were building it through my vision and I knew the types of schemes and the type of offense I wanted to be, Like what really excites me about Luther Burden a lot is that they want to be like an outside zone, bootleg move the pocket type of offense. Like you send this guy on like a crosser off a bootleg and he's just in a foot race coming across fields all the time, and you give him some runways to run with the football after the catch. He's gonna take chunks out of the defense regularly. And that excites me about that player.
Speaker 4: So pick it three, Ted McMillan, or trade down and get Luther Burton.
Speaker 2: If they traded down and they took Luther Burden ten eleven, twelve like some So.
Speaker 4: This is where we excuse me. We talked about this earlier with like T Higgins. Yeah, you're not gonna pair te Higgins with Ted McMillan because there's overlap. You pair Luther Burden with T Higgins. Now you have a more complete offense. So there is a path to Luthor burdon Twitchy. No, he's which, he's he's an electric player. He's he's an electric player. And I just talked about how much I loved Wandale Robinson because he was that kind of guy. But Wanda Robinson's tiny. Yeah, this is this guy is has been and honestly to the Travis Hunter thing too. All right, how do you have against Travis Hunter? Is a receiver?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, I don't know. That's tough. I I would say that I probably would still have Hunter a little bit ahead. But I'm excited about Luther Burden.
Speaker 4: No, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Want to try to like, I know I'm saying that he's probably my third receiver, but I just again, I think what comes down to that with Luther Burden is a lot of it is going to be scheme related, right, Like what kind of offense do you want to be? How are you you scheming him open? How are you scheming him opportunities to get the football? I don't necessarily like Teed McMillan touch guy. Yeah, Ted McMillan for all of his for all my issues with him, Like he's an X receiver. You put him on the X spot and you don't translates, Right, Luther Burden's gonna have to get some help.
Speaker 4: And we know that. And now there's a different coaching staff. We know they've had trouble with scheme touch guys. Yeah. I really like Burton and and part of what I like is I think you're gonna be setting him over the middle. He's gonna be taking hits. This is a guy that can take hits. This is a guy that is not afraid to play physically, and I think there's tremendous value in that at that position. I think McMillan the size, athleticism combination is rare. But Burden is the kind of player that they've kind of been looking for for a while. Right, If you went McMillan or not McMillan, if you went Higgins, Burton, Pop Douglas, that's freaking explosive.
Speaker 2: It's a room.
Speaker 4: You got, you got. You went from one of the least explosive wide receiver rooms one of the most explosive. Overnight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not overnight.
Speaker 4: It is gonna take two months.
Speaker 2: Great, great, like yin and yang with with T Higgins potential there and then I also still think, you know, I heard a little bit of like, well, isn't that just Pop Douglas, Like, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Like he's six foot two hundred, he's much more competitive at the catch point. He's no, he's he's probably he's closer to Kendrick Borne than he is to Pop Douglas.
Speaker 2: I think he's a base receiver, whereas I think Pop is a true slot in eleven. Yeah, right, like and so I think you can play both of them together by having one of them be the off the line, you know, the Z, and then one of them is the true slot.
Speaker 4: Who the comp be for for Burden from last year's draft, last year's draft, it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of I don't know if there's there is. I think the two years ago, like, I I think he's like I said, I a lot of the ways that he moves and runs routes is a lot like Za a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the bigger fly.
Speaker 2: Like when he ran I forget who was against, but he ran an out and up for like a forty yard touchdown and I did a flat, I did a double tap. I was like, Oh, I think that's Day Flowers right like, but he's bigger and thicker, kind of built like Deebo Samuel, so that I really am am. I'm bullish on the guy. I think he's gonna if he goes to the right offensive coordinator, he goes to the right offense, he's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Chiefs are gonna trade up and take him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that he'd be a problem.
Speaker 4: A big thing with Luthor Burden was well Rischie Rice a little bit, yeah, Well, and the big thing with Luthor Burden was that he's from Saint Louis. Yeah, and he stayed. He's a five star number two. He was ranked ahead of McMillan. McMillan was number four in that class. He was number two. Yeah, and he stayed at Missouri. And there's this whole thing about how he made it cool to stay in state because Missouri was losing all its top players. So there is like a through line there of the Chiefs see that and see what he means to you know, you're drafting football players, but they need a receiver and to get a guy like that, I think does a lot for your organizational culture. So I I see the Chiefs trading up for him. If don't take him first, we got a who's yours? So remember last week we talked about the Patriots needing a more modern off ball linebacker pair with Bentley be the next guy, good size, but can still flow a sideline aside line. Uh So, I'm doing some research on the conference championship games over the weekend and I stumble onto Barrett Carter from Clemson, number zero. If you watch any of him, he's not massive. I know, we talked about a bigger linebacker. He's big. He's he's six one, two thirty, so he's dense. He's yeah. And you know my thing where like he can put size on after the point. Name something you might ask a defensive player to do. Name just about any assignment. Yeah, Barrett Carter did it at Clemson, and he did it at a pretty high level. They used him to stop the run, they used him in coverage, they used him to rush the passer. He had seventeen pressures in seventy six pass rush snaps this year. Nice, that's insane.
Speaker 2: Who was the guy that? Who was it last year on Clemson? Linebacker because they play that there's a guy yeah two years ago? Uh do you keep that's that role? You know?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So he's the next guy in that like the jack of all trades linebacker role does everything does at a high level. Really smart player. Uh has a knack for being in the right place at the right time. I just think he's a guy that's like just very You can plug him into an NFL defense and I think he'd be ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And you know, Fred Werner's the apex. I don't know that he's Fred Werner, but if you're chasing that sort of player, Carter's in that mold. To me, he's somebody. He's projected to be a Day two pick if things go the right way and free agency. Like, definitely a guy look for. I don't know how much he's gonna pass rush in the NFL. He's probably more of a coverage guy, but they need that. Yeah, I like, I just looked this up pro comp Evan tell me I feel about this Kwan Alexander.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, the guy I was thinking of was Trenton Simpson who got got drafted. I don't think his third round.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's bigger, I don't think he's quite as athletic, but yeah, similar Robert Splaine would be another guy I throw as a camp Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like Kwan Alexander in his peak obviously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I assume that means peak. But yeah, he's got to bulk up a little bit. But he would give them that. You put him next to Bentley your set.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty not like a number one need, but like a sneaky need linebacker.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I don't know that they can. You're probably gonna have to take him in the second round, early third round. So they gotta get some business done in free agency to be able to do that. But if they do, it just fails. We'll watch him in the playoff against Texas.
Speaker 2: It feels like, unfortunately this staff is not very high on Marte Mapu.
Speaker 4: My guy, and so definitely not as a linebacker.
Speaker 2: It definitely sounds like they're not as high on him really really quickly, and then we're gonna go, Uh, Patriot's injury report just came out, so Javon Baker obviously it was the d MP without a with a CONCUSSI, Jalen Hawkins has an illness of whatever is going around. Jalen Hawkins in the club, and Jacquela and Roy misspractice with that foot injury that he's been fighting through. Marcus Jones back in a limited capacity. I think that changed. So Marcus Jones back in ulimited capacity. So that's your injury report updates. So Alex and I will be back next week. More traditional show next week. Well, I came into this show Marine thinking that we weren' gonna have anything to talk about, and then we went over two hours somehow on the show. Shocking, surprise, surprise. But we'll be back next week to recap the Cardinals game, look ahead to the Buffalo Bills, Alex's favorite team until then. Easy to drink, Easy to enjoy, bud Light, the official beer sponsor of the New England Patriots. We'll see you guys next week.
Speaker 4: Thank you for downloading this podcast.
Speaker 2: Subscribe on Apple, Google Play, and everywhere else you listen.
Speaker 4: Like the show, please rate and review us. Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings.
Speaker 2: So new listeners can find us.
Speaker 4: Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.
Speaker 1: Patriots Postgame Show join Matt Smith along with Patriots dot Com Paul Parrillo and Mike dessou as they offer instant analysis after every Patriots game. We bring you the good, the bad, and the injured from each game. Plus you'll hear press conferences, exclusive player interviews, and more on the Patriots Postgame Show. Search for Patriots Postgame anywhere you get your podcasts