Speaker 1: It peaks of the planet charlamagnea god here And as we come close to closing out this year, I just want to say thank you for tuning into the Black Effect podcast network. There have been so many great moments over the past year. Take a listen to some of those captivating moments in this special best of episode.
Speaker 2: Y'all listen.
Speaker 3: I am very excited to have on checking in pastor Mike Todd.
Speaker 4: I am so excited to be here with you. I feel like you're my sister. We got to meet for just a little moment in Atlanta and it was like, where have you been all my life? And it's just really one of those cool, cool moments to connect with people who actually care about doing the inner work as well as all the things that are happening in public. So yeah, I wrote a book about relationship goals about me and my wife, who I've been dating since I was fourteen years old, is when I met her, and literally all the ups and downs, trials, tribulations, crazy moments, and our story of redemption and just some things that people could be helped in relationship because people kind of fail at that a lot in this day and age. And I put it out in the middle of a pandemic. I'd never written a book before. I barely passed math, math and English in high school. So it was like, I mean, let me just share something that I think is valuable. And I mean it went crazy and people bought it all over the world. And to think that's the first time I've heard the two million number, that's ridiculous. Like the fact that book has gone on. I just pray that it's a blessing to people for a long long time and help people win in Mayorage, dating and sex.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: And he smiled really big too when you got to say that, because he got somebody, he gets to go home to his woife.
Speaker 2: Glory to the living guard. Listen, listen, listen, Lord help me too.
Speaker 3: Oh don't and I have it wasn't It wasn't y'all listening.
Speaker 2: It wasn't none of your business. But yes, okay.
Speaker 3: Any Another fact is that you are the lead pastor of Transformation Church in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: I am, okay, I am. And there's so many ways I can go.
Speaker 3: Relationship goes the faith testimony of how you guys acquired the building and just your whole journey it would take hours to talk about it.
Speaker 2: But I also want to tell.
Speaker 3: People, y'all, he is a phenomenal musician, producer.
Speaker 4: I say, a musician, Michelle, you're doing too much to know.
Speaker 3: We're here to talk about damage but not destroyed, from trauma to triumph. I get it, and we're gonna get there. But y'all, he's more than.
Speaker 2: Pastoring.
Speaker 5: Is call.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 3: And we'll talk about a choice that you might have had to make. Okay, let's just let's do that.
Speaker 2: The choice. Just let's do it.
Speaker 3: The choice that you possibly had to make to lay down music to go into ministry. Yeah, now music can be ministry, but I'm just saying in the form of ministry that you now you had to lay down the desire to be the artist and producer musician.
Speaker 4: So part of part of my journey is I tell people all the time, you are not what you do only and a lot of people so many times they wrap their entire identity off of whatever became successful. And one of the things that.
Speaker 2: I own, they walk in heavy six minutes in Oh.
Speaker 4: I thought we was I thought we came to do it like I thought this was that podcast so we could go all the way in. And so the truth of the matter is a lot of people, whatever successful, they think that's where they should rest all of their identity and purpose. But the one thing I learned very early on is that God never gives people just one seed. He gives so many seeds on the inside. It depends on what you water. And on the inside of me there were so many seeds music and speaking and creative and all these things, and I decided that at a young age, I was going to water all of them. And so when the fruits started coming from all of them, I had to make a decision to begin to ask God what was my assignment, not my opportunity. And a lot of people right now are caught because they have so many opportunities and they don't know what an assignment is. And that's where I'm here to really tell this generation that you only can get an assignment from God, but if you good, you can have tons of opportunities. And so my journey took me to a place where the greatest thing that I do is never what can I do, It's what does God want me to do? And that's where I think a lot of people are off right now. Somebody could offer me a lot of money to do something I'm good at, but I knew it wouldn't be my assignment and so that thing wouldn't be blessed for me. And so I just know that for me, that's what happened. In the music and ministry. I would have been successful as a music producer. I probably would have produced your third album. I probably would have done all of those things. It's done, and now there's still an opportunity I would have been I would have been there. But at the same token, God's timing is perfect. When you obey him, he brings everything back around. He wastes nothing. There is nothing that he's going to put on the inside of you that he's gonna leave on the inside of you.
Speaker 2: It's just about timing.
Speaker 4: And so now is the season where I'm getting to walk into a whole bunch of music opportunities. People that I love, like Michelle Williams, I'm sitting on the phone with So if I had a track, I could text it to you right now.
Speaker 2: Do you understand what I'm saying?
Speaker 4: Like, following his purpose leads me into the thing that I love, and that's a passion.
Speaker 2: Wow. I don't have no title or anything in church. But I'm hearing siki.
Speaker 3: First the Kingdom, Oh yeah of God in Matthew six thirty three.
Speaker 4: Yes, and then everything else gets at it. And a lot of people are seeking the things. They're going after the things instead of him, and they go after the things what I say, instead of the king. And the King actually knows the playbook, he knows the lay of the land, he knows what he wants for you to do.
Speaker 2: And I've just found in my short.
Speaker 4: Little life of a lot of impact comes from places I didn't think it was gonna come from, because I did it in the timing that God wanted it to happen, not in the timing that I wanted it to happen.
Speaker 2: And the more you.
Speaker 4: Like lean into that and get into that lane, you don't have to worry nothing I'm doing right now. I have to hold up. I just got to show up like I'm not trying to hold things together. I'm not trying to finesse and do all of these things that a lot of people have to do. And that's what causes stress, that's what causes burnout, and that's what causes trauma. And so a lot of people have to really reel themselves back in to figure out what's my assignment, not just what's my opportunity.
Speaker 3: Executive producer, pop culture expert. Once again, did I say executive producer? Executive producer of the Emmy nominated amazing show, The Sherry Shepherd Show.
Speaker 2: Please welcome My and John and Murray.
Speaker 6: Sherry Shepherd was a friend of mine and also a client, and so like the we met.
Speaker 2: At Doctor Bobby Jones.
Speaker 6: Funny enough, I used to do an artist and treat price a year in Las Vegas, and Sherry was a big reader of my column. She came up to me in the hallway one day and was like, Hey, I know you don't know who I am, but I'm a big fan of your work. And I was like, oh, you're the little black actress and all the big white sitcoms.
Speaker 2: Of course I know you. And we became friends.
Speaker 3: John and John really, John really will say that like that line, go ahead, and she left and we.
Speaker 2: Shary's information and we became friends.
Speaker 6: And so whenever Sherry would do appearances when she was co hosting the View, sometimes whenever topics and stuff she wanted to work through, she'd bring me on to help her figure that out. If she had to go do a promo run for a movie project or something, she had me come and help her finess her sound bites and stuffing. And so what I did not realize then was that it really was setting me up for my life as a producer was now it was teaching me how to get the best out of people. It was teaching me how to connect with people so that they could be their best. And so when I was a prior to this executive producer roun with Sherry, I had done a bunch of consulting, producing for some awards shows and some specials. I have both produced and directed some episodes and TV ones uncensored. But the executive producer role is you're the boss. You know, you hire, you fire, you have one of the final.
Speaker 2: Says on creative. You're leading the team.
Speaker 6: And so there were people when Sherry said I will only go on this journey with John that was looking like how did he get the lete for a whole of all those people?
Speaker 2: And you know, how is he in this position? And the truth of the matter is.
Speaker 6: The late great Bill Getty who helps create the view with Barbara Walters. He helps mentor me through this process of going on this executive producer journey along with Twitch. He was at Ellen, along with Heather Gray who was at the talk, and along with my dear friend Kat mackenzie who was at GMA three. But Bill says something to me, he said, John, Throughout the course of my career, I've seen celebrities give their hairdressers executive producer credits.
Speaker 2: Their dog walkers executive producing credits. He said.
Speaker 6: Sometimes crazy celebrities would sometimes want to give people EP credits just to put money in their pockets so they wouldn't have to pay them.
Speaker 2: This salary directly. He said, But you have a superpower here. There's nobody who knows Sherry as good as you do.
Speaker 6: There's nobody who's going to get the performance out of her the way that you will because of that relationship.
Speaker 2: And you, guys are.
Speaker 6: Going into a situation where people who need to learn her and you're almost like the Sherry whistler. He says, that's an invaluable asset. So, he said, despite the fact that you know this genre, despite the fact that you're great with people, you're going to be a great leader and you're really going to help produce this wonderful content. If they were just paying you for the relationship alone, he said, it's worth every day. And it really shifted my perspective walking into this space, and it prepared me for a lot of what I was going to encounter as we were embarking on the journey of the Sharferry Shop.
Speaker 2: So so good.
Speaker 3: And you have been walking with Sherry Shepherd for a number of years in a four way to some of the shows. She was say, call host on the View. Yeah, well, and now you two. She if I'm not mistaken, correct me if I'm wrong. I think she made a promise like John, when I get my talk show, you're coming with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So you know, Shery and I had a very unique relationship because when Cherry was approached to join The View, she had aged, she had managers and all that stuff. She said she was praying and she asked, he I want to talk to somebody who's now on my payroll and I really want to get objective advice from them. And literally I was in Chicago, I was doing a speech at Burrell Communications. I was out shopping, walking down Michigan Avenue, phone rings and Sherry, I answer it, and she told me about her offer to join The View and we talked about it, and that particular year it didn't happen because they brought Rosie O'Donnell on the show and they didn't want to add a second co host. Fast forward about eight months later, Sherry started guest co hosting on The View again. The whole Rosie and Elizabeth blow up happens, and then all of a sudden, they're looking to bring Sherry on the show again as a permanent co host. Well her team at the time. The negotiations didn't go very well and ABC took their offer back from her, and Cherry called me and she cried, she's really upset, and I coached her on how I thought she could resurrect the deal. I basically told her, I need you to call Bill Gaddy. I need you to share his heart, your heart with him and tell him why the financials, the MAFE math.
Speaker 2: And so she did exactly as I said. Bill Gatty told.
Speaker 6: Her, if you take this deal, the rest of the money's going to come, and she said those were the exact words I had said to her.
Speaker 2: So it was almost like.
Speaker 6: God was using him to confirm what I said. The deal happened, and the rest is history, and Sherry's never made another major decision in the entertainment industry again without talking to me. So that set the foundation of our relationship. When she went into guest hosts for the Wendy Williams initially in twenty nineteen, Cherry said, Hey, can you come in and help me? In addition into you just helping produce me and my approach to the questions, I want you to come and help write the show. Helped me structure the show, and so I came in. I helped write her monologue for the top of the show, you know, helped her with the guests and things like that. What most people don't know is this particular company had offered Sherry a deal in twenty nineteen to embark on a talk show journey.
Speaker 2: And things didn't work out.
Speaker 6: The pandemic didn't happen, and so twenty twenty one, Sherry happened to be in New York City. She was filling in at the View that week for somebody who was out all week, and she got a call to comment and fill in for Wendy again. This was the season which Wendy didn't have everybody was guest hosting that particular season. As Sherry called and said, do I really want to do this? This is something I should do. And I said to her, well, don't look at it like you're going back to co host this time. How about go in and do a five day pilot show.
Speaker 2: America.
Speaker 6: What the Sherry Shepherd Show would look like. You've been taking all these meetings. People are uncertain about the market. They want panel shows. Let's show them that you can do a single host show and that you can.
Speaker 2: Own this space. And she said, well do it if you come and do it with me again. I came in five shows.
Speaker 6: I helped her write the shows. You know, it was a tough time. We're coming out the pandemic. There are all these testing and protocols, and we got to sit in the hotel for hours and build out this show and we helped her hand picking to the guests and the segments that she did. And by the end of the first week, the ratings were through the roof. The research was great, and everybody was saying this should be the Sheriffy Show. And so Sherry came to me and said, I know you're talking to one of the news agencies about coming on as a contributor. I know you're off for another cable show, and I know this big company's talking to you about a podcast. What would it take for you to walk away from everything that you have going on to come on this journey with me? And I said what, I got to pray about it first, and so I came back to her the next day and I said, listen, come on this journey with you if I have this title, if I have these responsibilities, and if they pay me my money.
Speaker 2: And she said, cool, I won't have a deal unless you have a deal.
Speaker 6: And Sherry called our team and said, listen until John's dealers don't send me a contract.
Speaker 7: Give it up for producer, singer, singer, writer, binger.
Speaker 5: And the most gospel artist ever in history, Yes, the most amazing.
Speaker 2: Y'all know his voice? Producer, What do you want me to say? Artist, artist, artist, he.
Speaker 5: Does it all and she is gospel artist. Life was life thing and twenty three life was life thing. It was a lot that happened. And you know, we you know, we're just still taking it one day at a time and still trying to figure out, you know, what the new normal looks like you know, you know, it's very much kind of like how life was after the pandemic. You know, you you had to figure out what the new normal was for you.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, you know, that's what.
Speaker 5: I'm having to do and and I'm having to do it at my own pace and own race. Uh, you know, it can feel very daunting, but one day to time, one day at a time.
Speaker 3: You say, at your own pace, at your own race. But you decided to share.
Speaker 2: It with the world.
Speaker 3: Why did you decide to share that portion with us?
Speaker 5: Well, because I was already in the creative space. I was already documenting the making of the album. And so yeah, so as a creative, you don't know how not to translate what you go through like it's someone like, as a creative, I was going through that. Then it's going to affect the songwriting. So if I have a camera front of me, I'm going to naturally incorporate the moments that I'm experiencing in the moment that I'm in. I mean, I mean, you know, for you know, in my humble opinion, I think for real, deepcore creative people, they don't know a separation of art in reality. You know, there are is there reality? So you know, uh, you know, you just you just naturally continue in the lanes that are very organic and very second nature for you. And you know that second nature for me.
Speaker 2: Did the album change?
Speaker 3: Like did you were your album starting off in one way and then things happened with your father?
Speaker 2: Did it kind of? Did it change the album? New album?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: The name of the album originally was called The Rebirth of the Fearless Hero. That was that was the name of the album. I was taking different titles from different albums, and and uh, yeah, it was it was going to be one project that was going in another kind of direction, and uh, this ended up being, you know, the background music for a very tumultuous, life changing experience that I was having in real time.
Speaker 3: I can only imagine that it was scary for you to release that information to us, right, But at the same time, you became, if you weren't already, a lot of people's hero for being able to share, especially a man to share and be vulnerable on camera. I always say there's a difference between being transparent and vulnerable. When you're transparent, you can tell the world anything. Hey I stelled my toe, Hey I was late for a meeting today. But being vulnerable, you actually told us how it made you feel, which being.
Speaker 2: Vulnerable for me feels yucky.
Speaker 3: I hate feeling vulnerable and then having to voice how it made me feel. I feel like I'm watching it all over again, just talking to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I don't know what other way to be is. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Me talking and me sharing is very much just a part of my nature. It's very second nature for me, so as I don't know how to have the separate space where these things in my life exist over here. But then I'm going to do music and share the gospel and yeah, and talk about Jesus over here. Now they are synonymous in the expression of who I am as a broken individual, and so I wouldn't know different to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like every time you come out with a project, it's like we're hearing Kirk for the first time. It's like you somehow you keep our anticipation, you keep everybody so excited, and you're all.
Speaker 2: Well to us.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you ever feel that way, but it seems like you're always winning.
Speaker 2: Except for that, of course, by the grace of God his hand on your life.
Speaker 3: And every time you come out, you stay relevant.
Speaker 2: Just I just y'all.
Speaker 3: I'm sitting here almost fanning out because this is what I've been wanting to say to you. It's like you're fresh still, like you're new. How do you keep that energy? How do you keep us like literally on the edges of our seat, Like, what is Kirk Franklin gonna do for us musically?
Speaker 5: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I have no idea, Kirk, you'd be so humble. But I'm also keeping it a buck.
Speaker 5: Nobody, nobody knows what Listen, you have been doing music all your life, you know, like I know, don't nobody? Oh, think about all the big producers that you as artist, You were Destiny's child. You you seeing your other sister do and there every records you think, oh this record is out of here, and it don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, nobody knows.
Speaker 5: So why would I get on here with you and even act like I have some divine intervention spiritual hookup number from God that I can just tell you something that is going to be so divinely supernaturally different.
Speaker 3: Everybody wants you to bottle up the secret sauce and sell it.
Speaker 5: And there is no secret sauce, I don't is that nobody knows you know?
Speaker 2: I guess, sir, I can't.
Speaker 5: You know, like even with you know, even with the new music, you don't know you know.
Speaker 2: I mean, you don't know, you don't know, you.
Speaker 5: Know you know, But you're mad, grateful, and overwhelmed that in spite of you, in spite of your mistakes and failures, are sins and struggles that you know there's something in you, in spite of you, that God would choose to use in some kind of way.
Speaker 2: It's it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Once again, thank you for tuning into the Black Effect Podcast Network. See you in twenty twenty five for more great moments from your favorite podcast