Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 2: Good morning everyone, It's Tuesday, November eleventh.
Speaker 3: I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ Holmes.
Speaker 1: Happy Veterans Day. The post office is closed, Walmart is open. Is that the basics?
Speaker 3: Well, that sounds about right, and I'm sure I haven't checked.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it's trending right now. What's closed on Veterans Day? People always wondering, But yes, this is one of bar what eleven official federal holidays. This is one that always falls on this day, on the eleventh, doesn't matter what day of the week it is.
Speaker 2: We were I was asking actually that question specifically, I said, is Veterans Day always on a Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Turns out the answer is no.
Speaker 1: But they, you know what, they tried to switch it up, but it was the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month. Of course, Armistice Day, the end of fighting at World War One. It's how this all started. But there was a movement in the nineteen sixties Robes. They wanted to put all of our federal holidays on Mondays, have three day weekends. That makes sense for the workers, but it costs so much confusion with Veterans Day. If people it didn't last five or so years and then they moved it. It's always on the eleventh. So here we are.
Speaker 2: I was already just thinking about making a wish on eleven eleven. At eleven eleven today, that was my plan for the day.
Speaker 1: Okay, so maybe you can have that plan. But whatever it is today, folks, make sure you take a moment to honor our veterans. This is different from Memorial Day that honors those who've passed, who lost their lives in fighting. This is for everybody out there who has taken the time to serve, and it is sacrificed to serve in the US military.
Speaker 2: So this is their day, yes, and we thank them and appreciate their service. I've always believed this. They are the people who let us sleep soundly at night. So thank you to all of that sacrifice and hard work.
Speaker 1: All right, So on this Tuesday, on this run, today, on this Veterans Day morning, we got Michael Jackson to talk about Diddy, Trump, Wendy's Canada, hormone therapy, and Target stores, all that to get into this morning. But we have to start with the shutdown. It could be over tomorrow. Yes, the shutdown, now in day forty two and the longest in US history, Robes could finally end tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Finally, finally, finally, the Senate late last night passed a spending bill by the slimmest of possible margins Yes, sixty to forty and yes, you need sixty votes to break a filibuster. So eight Democrats joined with Republicans in passing this new bill. It would reopen and fund the government through January and would also make some critical programs like snap shut down proof.
Speaker 1: Yes. So what does this bill not do well? It does not include any guarantee of extending the Obamacare health care subsidies. That was the whole point of the shutdown. That was democrats stated goal for why they needed to stand firm and shut down the government and put you through that misery is so that they could get these subsidies. They did not get them. So what did they get? They got a commitment in the Senate robes that they are going to bring up a vote on those healthcare subsidies by the end of the year, and Robes that thing everybody is saying has zero chance of becoming law.
Speaker 2: Yes, And of note, the eight Democrats who came over to the Republican side. Here was one thing they all had in common. None of them are up for reelection next year, so that makes.
Speaker 3: A lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Other thing they share now is the other Democrats hate.
Speaker 3: Them exactly, exactly.
Speaker 2: Speaker of the House Mike Johnson has told House members to start getting their butts back to DC for a vote, and by the way, it's about time and that vote could happen as early as today. So hopefully, ironically, the shutdown which is affected flights, won't affect those lawmakers from getting back to DC to vote on this thing.
Speaker 1: You know, wait a second, this could be a problem. I did not put that together. They're all over the country where they have been. You can't just grab a flo and assume it's going to take off right now.
Speaker 3: Not these days thanks to them.
Speaker 1: Wow that you know what. I don't know if that's considered another wrinkle that's going to come, But yes, there might be challenges in getting everybody.
Speaker 3: Back woo all right.
Speaker 2: News of a potential deal to end this shutdown is not going to make US air travelers feel any better though. It's not like, okay, cool, they've finally come to an agreement and now we can all get on our planes as we scheduled them too. No, and it's not going to get any easier anytime sooner.
Speaker 1: No, So folks, you need to buckle in for the holidays. Listen to this. Even if the shutdown officially ends today, let's say this exact moment it's over, it's still expected to be weeks and weeks before things get back up and running fully and smoothly at airports. Airlines are required, as you know, to continue with the FAA mandated cutbacks in their flight schedules.
Speaker 2: It started last Friday with a four percent reduction in flights. It's supposed to get up to ten percent by the end of this week. That's significant. More than two thousand flights were canceled yesterday. There were about sixty five hundred flight delays as air traffic controller shortages continue. Look, we flew Friday and we flew Monday, and we were lucky that we didn't have a delay or a cancelation, but of noe, we spent a lot more time on the tarmac than we ever have before.
Speaker 3: On a normal day.
Speaker 2: We always take the first flight out, and that was certainly glaring.
Speaker 1: And we spent a lot more time in the airport and in line this look. We've all traveled, we've seen it bad before. These were random. The airport felt different. It did period point blank, and you need to make some adjustments and robes. That was great information that somebody gave. If you can book a second ticket that's refundable.
Speaker 2: On another airline, another airline so that you have literally are hedging your bets and you can use those or the money you spent on those tickets for another ticket in the future.
Speaker 3: With the way.
Speaker 2: Airlines are now honoring that sort of situation, especially in these times. Meanwhile, President Trump had a message for air traffic controllers who've been calling out during the shutdown. Get your butt back to work or else.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is a lengthy social media post from the President. He suggested that there could be consequences for those who don't show up to work. The President wrote, all air traffic controllers must get back to work now now is in all caps with three exclamation points. By the way, Also, he continues, anyone who doesn't will be substantially docked. For those that did nothing but complain and took time off even though they knew they would be paid in full shortly in the future. I am not happy with you. Also in all caps, not happy with you, he continues, you didn't step up to help the usay against the fake Democrat attack. Also in all caps, that was only meant to hurt our country. You will have a negative mark, at least in my mind, against your record. If you want to leave service in the near future, please do not hesitate to do so with no payment, no in all caps, or severance of any kind. You will be quickly replaced by true patriots who will do a better job on the brand new, state of the art equipment, the best in the world that we are in the process of ordering.
Speaker 2: Whoo again, we shouldn't be surprised. The President does not mince his words.
Speaker 1: Okay, but this is your boss, and the boss didn't seem to have any sensitivity for what you might be going through. Absolute and that Air Traffic Control union guy. We say it as many times as we can. Some people are not calling out sick. They're calling out I don't have a babysitter, calling out, I can't afford gas, calling out because life is I.
Speaker 3: Need to drive an uber to pay my bills.
Speaker 1: Yes, so there is more to people are just calling in sick to be assholes, all right. So he also said this, though this might sound good, He's recommend a bonus of ten thousand dollars for air traffic controllers who do not take any time off. Emphasize there any time off. So I don't know if you're going to be eligible for this. If you have to prove you did not miss a single day during the show.
Speaker 3: It sounds like that would be the case.
Speaker 2: And if he did, if he is offering this, I actually fully applaud that. Oh yeah, I fully applaud that if you should have, because look, we talked about our experience on Friday, specifically where you did have air traffic, not air draft controllers, excuse me, TSA workers. You could see we're visibly upset, easily frustrated, more so than usual. And it's understandable because they've been working without pay and not knowing when the next paycheck is coming. I think the uncertainty of not knowing when the next paycheck is coming is really a scary thing.
Speaker 1: I should mention that I've seeing the reporting this morning. The last shutdown, somebody went back and day it took two full months with them to start getting their money.
Speaker 3: That's scary.
Speaker 1: That's a lot. Most people can't survive three four months without money at all.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, absolutely not well. Also on the shutdown front, a judge is telling states and SNAP recipients go ahead and keep the money, even if the president is demanding you return it. Who This legal back and forth is really hard to keep up with. So we're going to try to sum it up where we are right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what happened was SNAP benefits weren't going to be paid this month because of the shutdown, but a judge ordered the administration to find the money somewhere and to pay the benefits to states, which they did. But as they were doing so, the Supreme Court stepped in and paused those lower court rulings that said the administration had to pay the benefit.
Speaker 2: Problem was many of those benefits had already gone out, So the administration told states to get the money back and return it to the federal government. But now a judges said essentially that's crazy because it is and ruled that states do not have to return that money. How they would do so is just not even plausible. It would make zero sense.
Speaker 1: And this legal back and forth might not be over. But again all costs because I was shut down that now is pointless. We're sitting here now. What they wanted they didn't get. So folks just went through forty two days of pain and not getting paid for.
Speaker 2: And I think everyone knew they weren't going to get it. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: So that's the frustrating thing. I think they knew too.
Speaker 1: All right, let's continue on the run here now, Rhoades, this was a big deal. It took me a moment, but it was described as a historic day for women's health. Now for me, I had to do a little background in catching up. And I don't know how many people of are men, I should say, what are familiar with? How big of a deal this was. So I'm asking somebody else to put this in context. As they said, they're going to be removing these so called black box warnings now from hormone therapy treatments. Again, a historic day, they are saying that is going to change the lives of women all over the country.
Speaker 2: Yes, the warnings were put in place twenty plus years ago after studies linked hormone replacement therapy treatments with an increased risk of heart attack, stroke, and breast cancer. That led to a huge drop in the number of women who use hormone therapy to address the impacts of menopause. And for those of you who don't know what they are, night sweats, mood swings, hot flashes, weight gain, depression. Even so, doctors have come around in recent years the idea that the benefits of hormone treatments outweigh the risks. And I would just say this as a breast cancer survivor who had to take a pill for ten years that stripped my body of all estrogen. Look, I think every woman should be able to have an individual discussion with their doctor and not feel guilty or that they're doing something wrong by taking hormone replacement therapy because some women benefit. Their quality of life increases so greatly and it absolutely outweighs any risk that it might incur. Now, I know I cannot do that, but that's my individual situation, and I think it's just I think it is a good thing if you can actually just encourage women and empower women to have those conversations individually about their health with their doctor.
Speaker 1: Again, they say, this is absolutely huge. I saw the number that when that first warning put in place, one in four women were using hormone replacement therapy one in twenty five. Now, yeah, that's a lot of women who are suffering.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I've actually had women come up to me and almost apologetically explain that they're on hormone replacement therapy. It feel batter, yes, that they're doing something wrong or they're doing something dangerous, and especially talking to someone who has breast cancer, somehow they feel like I feel like, I know I might be putting my life in jeopardy, but I really need this. So I think this does give women permission to be in charge of what they put in their body.
Speaker 1: Well, we won't continue. Then on this Tuesday morning, Ron with did he did he might be getting out of prison a year earlier? Didn't he just get to prison? Well? A spokesperson for Sean Combs said the now convicted hip hop Mogul is in an intensive drug rehab program in prison, and that upon completion, he would then be eligible to have his sentence reduced by a year.
Speaker 3: That's huge.
Speaker 2: He is serving a fifty month sentence at Fort Dick's Prison in New Jersey for his two convictions for transportation to engage in prostitution. In a statement, Diddy's rep said, mister Combs is an active participant in the residential drug abuse program and has taken his rehabilitation process seriously from the start. He has fully engaged in his work, focused on growth, and committed to positive change. It's pretty wild. Diddy has been in this new prison, this lower security prison, for about a week and a half now, and there are so many headlines that have already come out of Fort Dix. We're actually going to do an entire podcast on this because there are a ton of things to address and talk about. Pretty fascinating that literally, what has it been ten days or so that we already have rumors and accusations and potential disciplinary action. It's all over the place. So check that out a little bit later today.
Speaker 1: Around lunchtime, we should have that up for you, So look for that. Continue on the run here. Now. The measles is officially back in Canada, but could the US be next ropes?
Speaker 3: Sounds like very much so we might be.
Speaker 2: Canada officially lost its distinction as a country with measles elimination status, So there's specific criteria that we won't get into all the details. About, but it basically has to do with the number of cases combined with the vaccination rates and uncontrolled outbreaks within a twelve month period. So bottom line, this is a terrible sign of where Canada is headed and the United States.
Speaker 1: We are also at risk of losing that status. We've been dealing with outbreaks of course, since January. It all started in West Texas. We thought that was going to be contained, but it has popped up in several other places. The US has more Measles cases this year than any year in the past thirty years.
Speaker 2: All right, next up on the run, President Trump now has his sites set on the BBC. He has threatened to sue the British broadcaster for a billion dollars. What is he accusing them of doing? Interfering in the presidential election? By how they edited one of his speeches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Trump says as part of a documentary, the BBC spliced together part of a speech ahead of January sixth, twenty twenty one. They included the part in which he instructed his supporters to quote fight like hell, but says they left out the part in which he also said they should protest peacefully. The documentary aired a year ago ahead of the election. The BBC chair has apologized for an error in judgment. Two top officials have stepped down as well.
Speaker 3: It was a big deal deper turn us.
Speaker 2: We knew her name because she was the president of NBC News for about a decade here in the state, so she stepped on. These are veteran journalists who had huge careers and obviously big roles of the BBC gone.
Speaker 1: That is wild, and you know you have to pay attention to the President has sued everybody in media. We're not big enough yet, but he would come after us if we get too big. Wall Street Journal, New York Times, ABC, CBSBBS. They paid them. But yes, you have to pay attention when the President says he's going to sue a media organization. But stay with us here on this Tuesday morning run. When we come back, Michael Jackson is back on top of the charts, and he has set a record now that it's probably fair to say no artist is ever going to break. Also, you're not liking that spicy chicken sandwich over it win these as much as you used to do. You and target It stores adopting a new policy for its employees. We hope the entire world adopts this policys.
Speaker 2: There, continuing our morning run on this Tuesday morning, Frosty's and that Spicy Chicken Sandwich apparently just aren't bringing in customers like they used to. Wendy's is closing hundreds of stores in the United States. That's really a sad sign of the times, and the closings are expected by the end of this year.
Speaker 1: The last time you had Wendy's was what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a really good point. It's definitely been more than two years.
Speaker 1: Wow. And you know the last time I was there because I went through a drive through in Atlanta so I could record a video of them saying Wendy's, and I was being told I was saying it wrong.
Speaker 2: Well, Wendy, So you and I say Wendy's because we came up in the South, and you say Wendy's in the South, and then here in the Northeast.
Speaker 3: We had some coret when Wendy's Wendy.
Speaker 2: So I actually, really, it's funny you mentioned that I tried to say Wendy's when I was saying it.
Speaker 3: It's hard.
Speaker 1: So I went through a drive through in the South and they said hello, welcome to Wendy's. And so that's the last time I was there anyway. The company says many of the stores are underperforming financially, but also underperforming from a customer service standpoint. They're about six thousand Windy's stores in the US. They closed about two hundred and forty Windy's stores last year as well. Wendy's has been around for fifty five years, and they are they're trying to find ways to get new customers.
Speaker 2: In rook I have to say their single with Cheese is one of my absolute favorite burgers.
Speaker 3: It's just delicious. I got nothing you like spicy chicken.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like spicy food. That was when I was a kid. They don't have anything for me anymore, really, all right?
Speaker 2: Next up on the Run, Michael Jackson keeps setting records and solidifying his position as possibly the greatest, most influential artist the world has ever known. Get this, MJ is back at the top of Billboard charts this week.
Speaker 1: Yes, a song that was released in nineteen eighty two, Thriller is right now on the top of the Billboard Hot one hundred Tarcks is actually at number ten. This now makes Michael Jackson rose the first, the only artist to ever have a top ten hit in six different decades.
Speaker 2: That's gonna be a hard one to beat. It's never been done before. We'll see if it's ever been done together. It started for him back think about this in the early seventies with Got to Be There, and then he's had a top ten single in every single decade since, in the eighties, nineties, two thousands, twenty tens, twenty twenties.
Speaker 3: Why is Thriller back in the top ten?
Speaker 1: Makes sense?
Speaker 3: Doesn't It does make sense?
Speaker 2: Obviously, we just celebrate a really fun holiday that all of us engaged in, or some of us more than others, Halloween.
Speaker 3: But why this year versus other years?
Speaker 1: In addition, they just released last week the trailer to a high landed disipated movie Michael the bio about him. His nephew is playing the role of Michael Jackson in this thing. In the trailer set records it is everybody's anticipating thriller. Of course, Halloween is always a big deal, So yeah, that makes sense. But to think somebody over that long period of time since the seventies and has been dead for fifteen plus years, that's wild. It is still in the top ten. That's just influenced. Like, I don't know if we'll ever we talk about Taylor Swift, but this is longevity.
Speaker 2: Like well, yes, and you and I saw MJ the Broadway musical that goes through the music of his life but certainly our lives as well.
Speaker 3: It is phenomenal.
Speaker 1: That's crazy seventies. Yes, we were born then he has been with us. Our favorite music from the moment we were born. Without a doubt this guy. But your favorite MJ song, ooh, that's a lot. There's a uh, you know what, Pyt that's so funny.
Speaker 3: Pyt is absolutely my favorite MJ song.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, nobody's gonna believe we did not just.
Speaker 3: Pretty Young, I assure you that is my favorite song.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, no one's gonna believe we didn't do Okay. Finally, here on the run, Target stores are adopting a new policy for its employees that we think every American should adopt.
Speaker 2: It's called the ten four policy, and it's meant to improve the experience for customers.
Speaker 3: So what is the ten four policy?
Speaker 2: Employees who are within ten feet of a customer must smile, make eye contact, wave, and use friendly approachable body language. If the employee is within four feet, the employee that must then initiate interaction with.
Speaker 1: The customer, hence the ten and the four. What do you think?
Speaker 2: I think that you and I one of the things we talk about most when we go out is service and how especially I feel like in the last maybe since COVID even it's just fallen off. It's not been regarded, it's not been promoted.
Speaker 1: So this is a way to have a friendlier atmosphere.
Speaker 2: I actually like the waving, eye contact, friendly approach. I don't necessarily need you to come talk to me. I like the ten, maybe not the four as much.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm never going back into a Target store because I don't like to be bothered.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Target has struggle with sales and reputation in recent years, and the idea is to provide a better customer experience. We don't know when the policy is going to officially kick in or how do you police this thing? Are any employees going to be reprimanded if you don't if you're caught not doing it?
Speaker 2: Well? When I worked in retail all the way back when thirty plus years ago, we actually had called they were.
Speaker 3: Called secret shoppers.
Speaker 2: So I worked for Macy's department store, and we never knew if a shopper was a real shopper or someone who was there to police how you interacted with customers. So actually I was always so afraid it was a secret shopper, so I was extra nice to everybody, just in case I was going to get reprimanded.
Speaker 1: Whatever gets you to be friendly to people, robes. If that's what it.
Speaker 2: Takes, I've policed friendly person. That is probably how they will do it. They will probably have secret shoppers.
Speaker 1: I just I do. I love this on you all have been places, working in offices and there's a hallway, a long one that's three feet across, and you're walking right past somebody and you all keep your heads down. It won't even make eye contact. That's the stuff I wish we could eliminate. You look at another human being, you make eye contact, smile, say hi, it's okay.
Speaker 3: That's what you do an elevator, and it makes everyone uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: You talk to everybody an elevator close to it, which is so funny because it doesn't like I'm I was so surprised by this because, as you said earlier, I don't like to be bothered, and yet you are very like deliberately friendly to strangers those positions.
Speaker 1: We're in an elevator for twenty floors standing, go to elbow and I get on every time and I say, hey, how's everybody doing? And I get off and say somebody's getting on, I say hi, good morning, And when they don't speak, I turn in you and say, wow.
Speaker 3: How many people don't respond to you?
Speaker 2: That's the percentage, probably half, I would say, maybe even more than a moment.
Speaker 1: And every time I just turn you and say, guess they having a bad day, I'll say it out loud in the elevator. So I love it. Target what you're doing, even if it's not for me. Now, before we let you go, folks, on this Tuesday, something we'd like for you to consider it is our quote of the day. And this one's a little different because Robes is usually plucking out our quote of the day. I snagged this one, so I'll let you hear it Robes for the first time with our listeners. Quote. A great deal of having peace in your life is knowing when to hold your tongue. Wisdom is simply knowing what to ignore that.
Speaker 2: Is so true like that, Yes, and it's taking me a very long time to recognize that. I think when I was younger, a lot of folks you feel like you need to stand up for yourself, or you need to weigh in or tell somebody how you think.
Speaker 3: Or what they just said was wrong.
Speaker 2: And sometimes it's so much better to just keep those thoughts to yourself.
Speaker 1: I love this and this did come from my pastor and Atlanta, So folks, take that with you today. A great deal of having peace in your life is knowing when to hold your tongue. Wisdom is simply knowing what to ignore. And with that, folks, we always appreciate you running with That's by all means, if you are ten feet four feet away from somebody today, give them a wave, say something nice to them. And by all means, if you happen to be in an elevator, greet them all.
Speaker 3: You could just smile too. That's good enough, and thank you. Thanks for listening to us everyone. I made me robot.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I didn't get to say bye.
Speaker 3: I thought you did. I thought you already said your name. I see you now you doing the quote of the day is messing the whole goodbye.
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going to get the rhythm back, folks. But I'm TJ. That's Robock, and we'll figure this out. Talk to us.