Speaker 1: It's time for the b a q e A to b a q W.
Speaker 2: It'd be a que'd be a cute to be a q I don't know if I came in on time.
Speaker 3: Oh damn, I was too early.
Speaker 1: That's okay, Hey, Mandra, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm too it okay. My blowout is fighting for its life.
Speaker 1: Your hair is getting sid lot.
Speaker 3: The humidity is humiditying. I'm excited for b a q A. It's career day.
Speaker 2: It is career Oh we got called that is it?
Speaker 3: Is it career day? Yes, so get your your business casual and your card stock for your resume printouts and come on down.
Speaker 2: So I'll basically be reading the questions. So I'm like, yes, not in black yass queen, answer these questions. All right?
Speaker 1: You ready for the first one.
Speaker 3: I'm excited. Yeah, let's go all right.
Speaker 1: This one we're gonna call her man man.
Speaker 2: I want more because I don't know you didn't even us a name, so I want.
Speaker 1: More, says Mandy Tiffany.
Speaker 3: Help.
Speaker 1: Literally, she has like a lot of peace.
Speaker 2: First off, I love the podcast and started all the way at the beginning, but I'm only in twenty twenty two now and I'm OCD about going in order. Okay, I love that for you. Oh well, she might even hear this job by the time you get here. It's gonna be a year anyway.
Speaker 3: Two years, she's in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Anyway.
Speaker 2: I currently work at a tech company who just announced layoffs, like so many of them have. In the midst of this, I've been offered a new position within the same company, but the base is a little lower than I was hoping for. It's eighteen K and a bonus that's two percent more than what I'm currently making. As well as being a vertical move, so thousands what they're offering her, it's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be she she like, probably missed a word. It's eighteen k more.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's my assuming, and that's.
Speaker 3: Two percent more than what I'm currently making especials being a vertical move Okay, vertical is good.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I was more than ready to negotiate my salary with Mandy scripts in my back pocket. Yes, Mandy has those awesome scripts for negotiating. But now with huge with a huge amount of layoffs, I'm wondering if I should just be happy with what they're offering or still ask for more. For reference, I'm thinking about asking for twenty k more. Yeah, it is more than what they're offering. Oh, she's thinking about asking for twenty k more. M Hey, ba fan, We're gonna take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Okay, we went to offer ooh child, that's a big jumb I'll be but I don't know what what say you, Mandy Guru Lady?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, I think that you have to really know, you have to know how valuable you are going into a conversation like this, because the thing is like layoffs, budget cuts, they're all indications that the company is scaling back. But at a certain level, there's always money to invest where they want to invest. You know, So if you're in a for example, if this, if this opportunity, this new role at the company is in a real hot growing like they are investing a lot into this arm of the company, I think that you should use that as an indication of Okay, the skills that like, the reason they're wanting to be on this team is because they're investing in a lot. They really want me. I come to the table. I'm bringing a lot here, So I would say, yeah, you should definitely negotiate even though there's other parts of the company that are contracting and that they're having layoffs. As far as like how much more to ask? I mean, you can ask for anything you want, you know, when it comes at the end of the day, you really can. But are you basing it on like your market value currently? And I would ask sort of what your sources are for your current market value. It's really good to always be taking interviews and looking at job postings for similar roles at and this is important similar sized companies in the same industry, not just looking at you know, people with your job title, but are they working, like are these jobs at companies that are similar to yours? And that's a good and that's a good way to start to understand like what your market value is. And if you've done all that and you're like, oh, for sure, I'm worth twenty k more, then you can bring that, you know, justification to the negotiation table. And even better bargaining chip is always having a competing offer. You may not have that, but I would say I would add to that just when you are negotiating for a role internally at your company, you're always going to lack less. You're always going to lack leverage compared to someone who's negotiating from outside the company, because your company can see everything about you, and they know it's a twenty k jump, and they know how many years you've been there, and they have more excuses they can trot out to not pay you that extra well you know you have. They'll come up with like the oh, it's been three and a half years, but you know your last raise was just in January, so we don't want to get people raises this close back together. There's all kinds of like justifications, so I'd be ready for some of that. But at the end of the day, you should always know your market value and feel confident in asking for it. Other things to negotiate beyond your base salary. You said your bonus is two percent more, You could yeah, I mean you could ask for well, they probably won't give it to you at this stage, but could ask for a higher percentage of your target bonus. Not likely to get a signing bonus when you're internal to the company. I mean you they got you like you already work there, they know that, so there's a little less. There's a little less like fire under their butts to like, is that a phrase? I just made it up for them to negotiate with you?
Speaker 2: And can she ask for things like sick days or vacation days?
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. I find that now companies, well a lot of companies do unlimited PTO now, so it's not you know, the whole sick day things, vacation days, especially in tech. I don't know if those are you know, that big of a like that common anymore. It's really the compensation. Oh but equity though, So if you work at a tech company, they may with this promotion give you a bigger batch of equity, so you could definitely ask for that. Companies love giving equity because it's not real money to them, right, but it looks good on paper. We're gonna give you ten thousand dollars worth of our stock. Good luck because by the time you can actually it's vested and you can do something with it, it may not be worth ten thousand, but it looks good on paper. But yeah, I hope that you listen to this not in like, I hope you go out of order to listen to this episode. Also, Wow, that's a that's dedication to go all the way back, so you don't even know who we are today because so much changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean, well no, because she says she's up to twenty twenty two, So I mean.
Speaker 3: Who was I in twenty twenty two. I didn't have a second baby yet.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say the baby wasn't born yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were just coming outside after the I don't know, but hello to our past selves and to you. Thanks for listening. Yeah, tell our pastself. It does get better, It does get better. Yes, all right, let's oh, let's take a quick break though, breaky break, and we'll come back for b a Q and A number two.
Speaker 2: We're back, black and broader than ever, and we are in his career day here at BAQA. When we are dive into your question, we I forgot to say this. Hello, our lawyer friends are cringing. First of all, this is Branna vision, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, b Aqa Right, this is where you.
Speaker 2: Have questions about career, business life, child, and we do our best as smarty pants brown girls to answer them. But with the caveat of all caveats. We are not your doctor, You're a lawyer, your engineer. We are not your plumber, right, We're just your online financial favorite Brown Girl besties when it comes to personal finance and such. But that means that if you need that next level what you are of feedback, that you should definitely lean into the people that you pay money to, because you don't pay us no money, You just listen, okay. And that means to your grandma, not us. Well, those are your grandma. She seems like a nice lady, but that's.
Speaker 1: Just us covering her minds.
Speaker 2: But if you have a question that you want featured on the b a q A, you could slide in the id d M s where browna Vision Podcasts, or you could email us at Brownavision Podcasts at gmail dot com. Right, okay, well, so second question, I'm gonna read this too because like it's hard for me. I have not had a traditional career in like fifteen years. Even when I did, I've only ever had one quote unquote real job. I graduated college and then I taught preschool and then I became Badjasa.
Speaker 1: So ye, career.
Speaker 2: I can certainly do career stuff from a sometimes from a boss perspective, yah, but I just lean into them to the manager of it all.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So that's whenever you read these like, dang, when the budget needs to team asked me for this. They're listening to Mandy. She's causing me problem now.
Speaker 1: Please they're there are No, it's funny.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I love it when the team is like, so, according to what you said on the podcast, some of that, and I been like, you know what, and I tell them I'm really proud of you for leaning in. And I honestly there's been times when my team has reached out and asked for more and I've been able to say, you know what, I never thought about that, let's do that. And there's been times when I've been able to say, I'm really proud of you for asking and here are the numbers. And although I can't do this, can we try this instead? So I don't get mad at But that's the point of this. I want good for everyone.
Speaker 3: Okay, I wish four people were like you, thank you.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna call this. Hope I'm not ghosted. Okay, I hope I'm not ghosted.
Speaker 2: All right, Hey, ladies, I love brand ambition and I'm so happy to have found this podcast. I'm in the running for a dream role that fits me perfectly. They told me that out of two hundred and fifty applicants, I made it to the top five and everything went very well in my finer interviews. The recruiter told me they'd let me know something asap, and unfortunately I haven't heard anything. I reached out with a thoughtful follow up email, and even though I got a response, Oh, even though I got a response, I still haven't gotten a yes or no.
Speaker 1: It's been three weeks, and now I'm very annoyed. Should I reach out to follow.
Speaker 2: Up again or just take the l and assume I'm ghosted?
Speaker 1: Oh ya, what would you tell? I? Hope I'm not ghosted?
Speaker 3: Oh ghosted? You've been ghosted? And you know, I could try to justify it. I always try to like put myself in the shoes of the person, like what's happening in the seasons, and like it's spring break, like maybe there was some lulls and vacation times. I understand how it can be when you need like your final interviews to happen and you need to like wrangle the higher like the managers and stuff, the multiple people who so and so's going on a vacation, so and so's got spring break whatever. Three weeks though, it's really if it's not, if you haven't fully been ghosted, I would still use I would still see this as a big red flag for the way that they treat candidates, and companies need to do better when it comes to the recruiting process, Like you genuinely can kill your reputation and people's desire to work for you based on how you treat your job. Candidates and good companies do understand that, and so they don't let this kind of thing happen. But yeah, it sounds like you've been ghosted or they're hedging their bets. The thing is you were You were the one of five top candidates. That's a lot of candidates, So I would say it's pretty clear that you were not their first choice, and they probably extended an offer to one of the other five, and they may be an active negotiations for that that candidate. That candidate may have not been happy with whatever they came through and they dropped out and then they went to their number two. So I feel like, if anything, maybe you were like the third. You know, you're not number one. That's the reality of the situation, because they would have already come back to you I believe is there a world in which they had to press pause on the whole thing and nobody got an offer? Yeah? But again, red Flag, why are they dysfunctional like that? And why are they not following through? It's been three weeks. I'm sorry. I wouldn't like I wouldn't. I wouldn't plan your life around this job. I would keep looking and don't. I mean, you got through the final round and that's great and all of that. I'm so sorry that this happened to you.
Speaker 1: It sucks. It maybe said girl you was ghosted.
Speaker 3: You were, and I mean it suck. I mean it's really unprofessional of them, and it's just I mean, you have to you can't think of candidates as not human, like they're human beings. Recruiters are human beings too. But you know how it would feel if you put you put yourself on the line and then you didn't hear back three weeks. That's a that's a that's just cruel. It's me. You know, it's at worst, it's cruel and at best it's inconsiderate. Right, So I'm really really sorry ghosted that you got ghosted. If you wanted to, you could follow up. I hate that you would even have to, but it may not. If you really want the job, it may It won't hurt you. I don't think to just follow up and remind them that you're there and you're still interested. They may be, like I said, in active negotiation with one or two other candidates and just wait for something to sort of work out. This is one of the reasons why they have a top five, because you may not get your top choice, and it is a competitive job market right now. So yeah, that's all I got.
Speaker 2: What I don't know, it's just man, it's like what you know, sometimes you just gotta pack your and and.
Speaker 3: To let my my inner feelings get in the way of my advice. Am I like being a Debbie downer? But to a radical candor, you know.
Speaker 2: It is that's what that's what it is that I'm laughing at your radical candor where you're just like, oh yeah, girl, that is what happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they're even excited to be told I'm top five. I want to be like top two. You know. Top five is like okay, so I'm like your backup, backup, back up. Because they don't tell you anybody else their top They totally tell number five you're the top five. That's the thing. Number one and number two here's the number one and number two. If you're top five, you're probably the fifth. Okay, okay, is that mean? But it's true?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, But it's good to know because you're right if you're number because I wouldn't want I wouldn't want my number one or number two to feel like they were top five. I would want them to know. At the top of my limb precisely.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then I have been told I was top five, but I'm like, no, no, no, no, in my top one or two, like let's get it, let's come through the bs.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: But you know what though, if you if you got that far am I ghosted, that means you sound pretty excellent and that there will be something that'll be the right fit. I remember this is I mean, it doesn't necessarily apply to the jobs, but I remember when I was looking for homes and nothing seemed to be working out, and I remember Diane, I'll never forget who was my real turtht of time. She said, when you find the right home, you'll understand why the other ones didn't work out. You know, and I was like, whatever, Diane, you're freaking. But then she was right, because when I found the right home, I was like, oh my god, thank god the other one didn't work out, because this is the perfect home, you know, But at the time, you know, I didn't want to hear it so well.
Speaker 3: For me, it was like, when you find the perfect home, you're going to think it's the perfect home, but really it's not the perfect home. For more than two years, it'll be stuck there.
Speaker 1: Is that they.
Speaker 3: That's easy. Listen, you shop with the perspective of a New Yorker who's been living in shoe box apartments for seven years, it's very different.
Speaker 2: Well, you see that gap and gain, right, and if we talked about that in the yeah, and if you didn't listen to that past episode, the episode on Wednesday, we talked about the gap and the game at the end, and it's like, if you look at it from the game perspective, you're right, it's like, oh my gosh, from where we lived before, this is tremendously huge, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: Versus like, oh my gosh. You know, yes, you know.
Speaker 2: It's hard though, because you want the inspiration of like having a bigger place, but also the gratitude of you've come a long way, baby.
Speaker 3: And just you know, more bathrooms will be more toilets to clean.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, especially with two boys, you know they're missing.
Speaker 3: I don't want a bigger house until I can afford the team I would need to support me living in that house, you know what I mean. Like it's gonna be expensive. I need like twice a week cleaners. These boys are messy. I'm messy. None of us likes cleaning. I am not a good wife. I'm not a good housekeeper my husband. I mean, I know I'm a good wife, but I'm not like a I joke all the time. I need a wife, That's what I mean. Like I need a traditional wife, like the cooking and the clean I mean a trad wife. Anybody looking to be a professional trad wife. Just a romantic relationship. Yeah, I don't need I don't need a house cleaner who comes once a week. I need someone who's here day to day to put the shoes back in the cubby holes, you know, and to wipe up the mess as we go because I'm too I'm too busy.
Speaker 1: I'm a living wife anyway.
Speaker 2: If you love their body, if you love brendabas shit, and do you think it's six that comes from?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a song like it goes. If you know that song?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you think that let me fire up in term something like that. But why are we singing that and not Cowboy Carter? That's what we're singing that?
Speaker 2: Because I was gonna say, if you love our podcast and you think we're.
Speaker 1: Funny, come on, leave a review right now, go.
Speaker 2: To Apple I Live, some review or Spotify or wherever you leave reviews, and we're going to read something. We have two new ones from last time, White Mandy. If you didn't listen to a Wednesday, then you listened to Wednesday or whatever, then you've heard these.
Speaker 1: But these are new since last week.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing doesn't load to remember hole in a second, I'm going to just go to iTunes itself.
Speaker 2: So if you leave us a review, we might shout it out, we might read it. And by we I mean Mandy because yes I speak French. Yeah, and also too, if you really enjoy our podcast, we want to reach as many people as possible. She'll share. Share, share with your bestie, your work, hubby, your your husband, your kids, You're the lady, Whole Foods, whomever, Talvin Brannabis is the place to be on me.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh okay, oh okay. We got a new review on Friday, b Day of all days, ten out of ten. The review says, I love the show and the energy you both bring to the table. I've learned so much. Please continue to do what you're doing. Yeah, that's the newest one than we got to fellow in future. Ba girlies, listen to me. Sometimes sometimes information is useful. Sometimes just knowing that our information is helpful and useful. But sometimes just knowing I'm not alone and my failures and mistakes gives me the encouragement to get back on the horse, or just get on the horse. If you've made mistakes, are making mistakes, or want information to avoid making mistakes. Give the show a listen. Mandy is vulnerable. Tiffany drops ways for Mandy and us to walk through the life's challenges. Good period stuff period here. I love that so sweet. Thank you to essentially mom who left that review.
Speaker 1: Thank you, but you don't leave a review, so go ahead and leave you to review. Go ahead and share this podcast, and we will see you next week.
Speaker 3: Bye. Babe,