Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 4: This he is Talking Cowboys Screaming live.
Speaker 3: From the Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 5: Second pus dot Tix, Touchdown and now your hosts, Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 6: It's a Talking Tuesday, Enter of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the SWBC studios.
Speaker 3: Normally today we would.
Speaker 6: Be taking calls, but that's not the case because we have two of the best in the Dallas media scene filling in on this bye week. Pleasure to welcome in back on the Talking Cowboys team for the first time and quite some time, but glad to always have him back, the one the only Brian brought us the Scouts, I himself, Brian, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Thank you very much, Kyle, and very good to be with you guys. We have got a lot of former safety.
Speaker 3: Barry Church here, certain this is true, a lot of a lot of enthusiasm. I like this.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, Derek is usually very kind of low key and then boy, you just kind of just gonna jump right in there.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 6: See, here's the thing there was There was once a wise man who his name is David Hellman.
Speaker 3: He David Hillman.
Speaker 6: He told me one of my best traits is my big booming radio voice. There you go, and he said, use it. I was like, all right, it sounds good, so I'll use it.
Speaker 3: Dave knows what he's talking about. Oh yeah, he definitely does. But good to have you boys back.
Speaker 6: Of course, I've gotten the pleasure and opportunity to do the Draft show with you since twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: I've been on pregame.
Speaker 6: Shows and postgame coverage with Barry Church since twenty twenty. So we're all very accustomed to being around each other, and in a time like this, I think this is important that Cowboys fans are around each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and are together because it was rough on Sunday.
Speaker 6: Hey, gentlemen, and I want to start things off by getting your opinion on scouts eye and former players. I want to go through for those who may not have heard you on the break and on Players Lounge yesterday, I want to hear your opinion about what happened in the forty seven and nine beat down the Detroit Lions handed you on Sunday.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think there's a couple of different ways that you can start. You were going to be shorthanded in this game defensively, so you had to kind of find a game plan maybe offensively that can tailor in a tailored in a way that you could kind of try and score along with him and hope for the best that maybe you get a stop, maybe you get a golf mistake, maybe you know, something happens, you get a return, a kickoff return, upont return, something like that to kind of keep you in that football game. But when you couldn't move the ball offensively or really establish anything. You know, you don't run the ball well enough. That's no secret. You know, you kind of win a different little bit of an angle the way you tried to run the ball. And when you did try to run the ball, the Lions did a pretty good job of shutting you down that way. So now it became in turn into a throwing game, and that's kind of where I felt like it was going to be. You know, if you were able to handle if you were able to handle Aiden Hutchinson, their first four games they had not really nobody else had really got any pressure. And so now you're in a situation where you're thinking, okay, handle Aiden Hutchinson. You look in the game that you know Christy scalees in our pregame show on one O five three, the fan says, oh, Tyler Smith start a left tackle today. Ah, okay, here we go. Now we're going to take care of that side. When Aiden Hutchinson goes.
Speaker 3: Over to the other side, we got that squared up. Now we've got to figure out how to block the other side.
Speaker 7: And what we didn't account for in that game was that Zach Martin struggled and then Steele also struggled as well in that game, and then your quarterback, you know, you got a little banged up in the game with the hand. There were some poor throws, there were some turnovers unfortunately, and you just really couldn't generate anything enough, and you know it was going to be difficult even at full strength. I believe this defense would have had a struggle stop Detroit's offense. You're the only chance you had in this game, in my opinion, was if you turned it into a shootout and Dallas never could make it a shootout game, and now I think that's really where this scene came down to.
Speaker 3: It's just a difficult cover.
Speaker 7: It's a difficult It's difficult when you don't have a whole lot of confidence playing run defense. This team presents a lot of problems with their their scheme, their run, the way they throw the ball, the in cut routes. It's a and heck, you know, give them credit, they hadn't really shown all year about throwing a vertical ball.
Speaker 3: Hit two of money.
Speaker 7: So that that kind of a lot of things that I just went through. But that's kind of where going into it. And then as the game unfolded, it showed up even more as you as you started to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from you know, my perspective, and I think broadest one hundred percent right when you look at it, this team got handled in the trenches. You know, it got handled in the trenches. That's where it started. And to me, like what you just said, even if they were at full strength, you had a Parsons, you had a d Law. They're going against Detroit, who has arguably the best offensive line in the National Football League. I mean, they have a great mix of young and upcoming guys that are just about to hit their prime, as well as a group of veteran guys who've seen pretty much every defense out there. So they're playing as a unit out there protecting golf and as well being able to run the football. And it doesn't hurt that they have, you know, that monstrous duo in the backfield with.
Speaker 3: Montgomery and Gibbs.
Speaker 1: But when I looked at this game, I mean, the line of scrimmage, as soon as the ball was snapped, rundowns, whatever the case may be, it just changed. I mean there was no penetration, there was no you know, getting in the backfield causing chaos. Detroit was able to pretty much do what they wanted to do offensively, and then you started to see guys in the secondary press to make plays. One of the pressing players I want to talk about was, you know what is he went to jump jam.
Speaker 3: On John Jamison Williams.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the fastest guys in the National Football League.
Speaker 3: You missed there. There's no way you're coming back. It's over with.
Speaker 1: So you started seeing guys press a little bit out there defensively, and it just kind of snowballed from there. But because if you don't win in the trenches. I mean, as a guy I played this league, you you starts up front, and if you're not able to win up front, it puts a lot of stress on the back end. And right now, not a fully fully strength or whatever full strength the secondary is right now, they struggled a little bit out there, So to me, the trenches were one both sides of the football by Detroit, like you just mentioned, still struggled a little bit. Zach Martin, you know, surprisingly, yeah, struggled a lot in this game as well. But when you look at Golf and how comfortable he was back there, I mean, he's one of those quarterbacks that you got a roughfull his feathers a little bit, you got them get them seeing goes back there getting happy feet, and they weren't able to do that. I mean, he completed one more pass than Dak Prescott, but we had almost one hundred and fifty yards more. Right So, those that tells me there's a lot of explosive plays going on out there, and that's what this defense can't give up. You got to make them work the entire length of the field. You can't give up a lot of explosives and has what happened defensively and then offensively as we saw that that connection just wasn't there between the passing game or the run game, because I believe offensively you gotta be balanced. You gotta be balanced in this game, and they weren't doing that as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one thing that Brian said, they're the kind of stuck out to me. You said, golf mistakes. Yeah, he said, you were kind of hoping for a couple of golf mistakes. If there's anybody that knows about a golf mistake, it's Barry Church once in a while. He knows about these golf mistakes every once in a while. But it kind of feels like the Cowboys wanted a mulligan, right instead of having the golf mistake from Detroit side. Now they're the ones that want the mulligan after what happened in week six. You kind of felt that frustration a little bit. This morning on one to five three the Fan and Jerry Jones talked to some of the questions that were very fair all the way through. But I thought the way that the outlined did it was very clear he's not making a coaching change.
Speaker 3: No Mulligan there.
Speaker 6: You're not going to necessarily add a ton of talent.
Speaker 3: No Mulligan there.
Speaker 6: This is your team and you're gonna get some guys back, which is significant.
Speaker 3: But the way that that happened, it was frustrating.
Speaker 6: And you can kind of feel that a little bit this morning.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know, And and folks, let me be really honest with you about this, Going into these interviews with Jerry Jones or Steven Jones, sure there's a lot of prep that goes into it. And I know fans could be very critical of us at win O five three the fan for not asking tough questions, you know. And I think that throughout we've asked some tough questions, you know. I think that Jerry and Steven have done a really nice job throughout of handling questions. Today was one of those unfortunate days in my opinion, just because the frustration level with Jerry the general manager. I think there was a little bit, you know, Sean Sharif, who does a really nice job, felt like he needed to press a little bit.
Speaker 3: In this one.
Speaker 7: And you know, and Jerry, you know, he senses it, he senses you know, you know, nobody wants to be told, Hey, I'll go through all my issues, go through all my prompts. There are a lot of things that they have done well here, but today was the first day that I really was I felt poorly for really for both sides, because I think it was kind of unfair to Jerry in that situation, how frustrated he is.
Speaker 3: But I think it was also unfair to Sean and and Bobby.
Speaker 7: And too, and to uh, you know, into our Jay with maybe some of the comments that Jerry made along the way. I think I think, you know, we're trying to press he's trying to kind of give his answer his side, and you know, it's the first time that I've seen Jerry really on air not be able to handle it well.
Speaker 3: And but you.
Speaker 7: Know, there's a lot of pressure on him. There's a lot of pressure on us to ask questions, and that's what you're going to get when you get in that kind of setting.
Speaker 6: Well, I think the pressure comes in the way that the losses have happened too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, grand scheme of thing. You look at it in your three and three.
Speaker 6: I think if you and if all three of us were sitting at the table and we're going into the bye week at three and three, we say, Okay, they may have dropped the game, they probably shouldn't have, but this is still a decent football team.
Speaker 3: This is still where we own.
Speaker 7: Way the losses have happened exactly, Yeah, and the way it's the blowouts, it's down by twenty plus at halftime.
Speaker 6: It's those significant situations that have put a strain on the fan base. I put a strain on this coaching staff. Yeah, I put a strain on the front office. And I think you saw that a little bit today and bury it. You've been through some ups from downs with the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: With all of that being said, I mean, where do you feel like the temperature of the team is based off of some of those those comments and really the fan base as a whole frustrated through the first three losses this season.
Speaker 3: Well, when you look at.
Speaker 1: It, like you said, you know they're three and three right now, you know you're still just one game out of the division league. I mean, season is not a season, not over by any stretch of the imagination. The team ahead of you is, you know, playing well, you're talking about Washington, but they're also led by a rookie quarterback. Let's see if he can do it. You know, all seventeen games to like ten weeks left, so we'll see what happens.
Speaker 3: That's wild.
Speaker 1: There's a long way to go on way to go, and you still have all your goals up there. But you know, I can understand, you know why, you know, Jerry might have been frustrated in this fan base could be frustrated as well. You look at it from Jerry situation. You know, you pay your quarterback, you know, two hundred and thirty something million dollars, the highest paid in the National Football League history. You play your wide receiver number one, but is it top two money or top three money.
Speaker 3: Numbers money at his position?
Speaker 1: And those two guys, who have you know, seemingly been healthy throughout this season, haven't really connected. And you look at that offense. You know they're turning the football over. You know, you're three of thirteen on third down, which is the money down. You got to be able to complete those things. And the red zone has been a struggle this.
Speaker 3: Entire sist the whole time.
Speaker 1: So when you look at it, you look at you your two highest paid players out there. These are the supposed to be the guys that we look to when things are getting struggling to write this ship, and right now they're not doing that. So I can understand the frustration level from a Jerry Jones. But when you talk about the questions being asked, I believe that's you know, their job to do that. And you know, I understand, you know, them pressing the situation saying, hey, you know, what do we got to do here? What's the situation there? But I can also understand why Jerry was frustrated as well.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I mean, and I think Barry makes an excellent point about you know, when you look at your you need your best players.
Speaker 3: And I don't, and I don't look at his money. I don't.
Speaker 7: I mean, these players are paid what they're negotiated, you know, they they it's the front office makes the decision to make DAC one of the highest paid quarterbacks. They make the decision to make CD one of the highest paid. When you do that, though, it you know, you kind of say, well, he's making sixty million dollars. Well, you know, yeah, he's making sixty million dollars. That's what they negotiated, you know, But how he plays that, that's what you need to kind of focus on and when you know, when Zach Martin doesn't plays particularly best, that hurts you. You Know, when Terrence Steele doesn't plays particularly best, that hurts you. When Lamb doesn't play his best, that that hurts you. You know, the quarterback that hurts you. You know, there's there's so many things that go into this and and from the front office. And I can understand the frustrations over there because I was on an organization here that went five and eleven three straight years, and I understand. I get the feeling, you know, of the frustration from Jerry. I've seen Jerry mad before, and I've seen him really mad, so you know, I understand that hey trying to avoid that, but but you know, his frustration has to be that, like, Okay, my best players, my best players are not playing their absolute best. And I think that's the thing that's first because he's you know, yeah, sure, playing with you know, backup guys and playing with rookies and all that, you're going to have some issues. But these guys that are veteran players that you've earmarked as these are my guys I'm taking care of, and I need them to play at a high level all the time and they don't do that.
Speaker 3: Boy, that's that's a hard pill to swallow.
Speaker 6: And that's kind of the big point that I take away from that specifically, is you named guys that have not missed time. Right, there are guys missing time. There's going to be a drop off from your top guys to your soci.
Speaker 7: Young linebackers had a handful the other day, all sorts of They had a Harris Leamarve and overshown, they Clark.
Speaker 3: All those guys did what they could.
Speaker 6: But at the same time, they're not starters for a reason.
Speaker 7: They play sixteen to eighteen plays a game. They don't play sixty five plays again, and a lot of those are And what's going to happen to you is you play sixty five plays a game and you normally play sixteen to eighteen, You're going to make mistakes. You're going to jump routes, you were going to jump out of a hole, you were going to miss a tackle.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: It's Mike McCarthy talks about it, and I do appreciate as a former personal man, I do appreciate the fact he really doesn't have a choice about playing young guys because that's really all they've got right now. But he talks about, you know, there's a lot of coaches that would just play veteran guys that aren't good enough, you know, and they because and then the young guys don't.
Speaker 3: I'm okay.
Speaker 7: I'm not okay losing games like it happened to the Lions of the Saints or the Ravens, but I'm okay with the fact that these young guys are getting reps.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm.
Speaker 7: Cooper Bebe is getting better about He's gonna get better about picking up twist stunts inside. You know, Guidon playing left tackle is going to get better with the more work that he gets. He just hasn't played against anybody that he's better than. Everybody that he's lined up against has been better than him, you know, the gauntless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that you know, there doesn't get much.
Speaker 7: There's things that you know, Mike McCarthy's kind of taken a big picture approach about this about playing guys. Yes, he has to do it. Mike McCarthy is not guaranteed the end of this year, you know. I mean, so that's the problems that you kind of run into. Man, I do appreciate this about Mike is playing guys, you know, and saying, hey, we're going to stick with We're going to the best chance they really had the other day, in my opinion, they did it.
Speaker 3: They tried it.
Speaker 7: Moving Tyler Smith to left tackle was the best chance they had because that solidified at least one side. The right side of your offensive line wasn't good in that football game the other day. You know, that was the that was the issue with your offensive line. They tried to say, listen, we can eliminate Hutchinson on the other side against Smith, we can wash that. But now we'll focus. But they got in that game and the metrics will tao. They went single block eighty five percent of the time with those tackles. Wow, the two tackles went eighty five percent single blocks in that game. And that made me question a little bit of like, wait.
Speaker 3: A minute, what are we doing? What are we doing?
Speaker 7: But but but see to me, I look at I look at Tyler Smith, and I understand him doing it. Yes, but still, but tern Stiell and Terren still is a veteran guy. And Terren still, if you great him sixty five plays, he has five bad plays a game, and you're just hopeful that it's not five bad plays that kill you in a drive or kill.
Speaker 3: You that could be five drafts killed.
Speaker 7: But they but these are Again, the point is Jerry's frustration level has to be about guys that these ear marked as these are my guys, this is my guy, this is my guy, this is my guy. He's not getting the level of play out of that those guys that.
Speaker 3: He's ear marked. That's that's a problem.
Speaker 6: I completely agree, because if you're earmarking these benchmark, cornerstorm, cornerstone players of your organization, right and they're not playing well, do you expect the guys that are filling in cracks, that are filling in holes, that are depth players.
Speaker 7: kJ Henry kJ Henry playing the other day as a as A as a poach off a practice squad for like twelve past rush snaps was actually pretty good, you know, And you see that's what I'm saying. There's things that like, you're not expecting those guys. You're just hopeful, You're just hopeful that you know, I mean, Carl Lawson is not Carl Lawson to five years ago.
Speaker 3: He's not.
Speaker 7: But you know, you know, that's that's kind of where you're at right now, You're trying to you're trying to, like, and I've said this before, you're trying to put a band aid on an amputation, you know. I mean, blood is just spewing everywhere right now because you know you just don't have the bodies.
Speaker 3: You know, you can't afford to lose, you know, a kneeling because.
Speaker 7: He was going up. He was going up, and all of a sudden, it's like, so now you're in this your thing where hey.
Speaker 6: Wheat's are starter here at end yep and you're going he's your fifth passage.
Speaker 7: And this is nothing against Wheat, but when he plays fifteen to eighteen snaps, he's probably a pretty damn good player for you not playing forty or forty eight snaps.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's funny because you use the band aid on an amputation.
Speaker 3: Isaiah the other day was talking about a waterbed. Remember the water bed was back.
Speaker 6: In the eighties, and you're not supposed to get on the waterbed or jump on the water bed with something sharp like a pin in your pocket or all, and you pop it and it's leaking water. He was saying, there's multiple spots where that thing is leaking. He's like, but there's only one or two band aids that you get or tape that you've got to tape over it. That's kind of where you're at right now.
Speaker 3: You've got a spot.
Speaker 7: It's no excuse, and it really is not, and I'm not trying you play. You've played against some in my opinion, some really physical. The Lions are a very physical team. You beat the Steelers, in my opinion, it's a very very physical team. Don't ever question people like is this team tough? Are they mentally tough? Yeah, they won a very mentally tough, tough game against the Steelers.
Speaker 3: On the road.
Speaker 7: Jim Pittsburgh that don't don't don't question toughness because his team has won a tough game. That is a difficult game. But you've gotten beat up by some team. Now the Saints look like they've come back to earth. You play the Saints this week, you probably it's a different story with them, you know.
Speaker 3: But week two you caught them. You caught them when they were they caught them when.
Speaker 7: They were on a run, you know, and now you know, now you're kind of kind of paying for it.
Speaker 6: So at three and three, there's two ways where this season can go. It can go in the optimistic route or it could go into the pessimistic route after the bye week. So I want to I want to take a couple segments to do both. When we come back, we're gonna start with the back. We're gonna start with the pessimism why there are reasons to be pessimistic for the rest of the season.
Speaker 3: But then we're gonna follow.
Speaker 6: It up with reasons to be optimistic at the end of the show.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna end on a high note. That's what we're gonna do here.
Speaker 6: So when we come back, where's the centerpiece, the epicenter of the problem of this Dallas Cowboys team. We'll talk about that when we come back with more talking Cowboys right after this. If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you.
Speaker 3: Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 6: Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation, every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black rifle coffee.
Speaker 4: Today, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop it running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 2: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for dy deals.
Speaker 6: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized, intense therapy liftball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 8: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undenied passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't.
Speaker 3: Be beat better.
Speaker 8: Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 3: The winds will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing to Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven. We usually do the zeke here where you like you eat. Everybody gets yeah and then I asked Isaiah if he had his oats this morning? So did you have your oaths?
Speaker 3: I did not have my black coffee, though, ooh, there you go. Black right for coffee, best cold pizza count as.
Speaker 1: A breakfast of champions.
Speaker 3: Right here we go.
Speaker 6: I don't blame you, honestly. You get it done however you can get it done, all right, Cowboys are three and three. Yeah, reasons to be pessimistic right now. So this is this is just a spot where we can kind of air out the dirty laundry of the Cowboys team. I want to start in the in the trenches, Barry, because you talked about lack of improvement in the trenches based off of this team from week one until week seven where we are right now, are you more confident or less confident in what they've done upfront?
Speaker 3: I'm less confident. You know.
Speaker 1: I know you're gonna get healthier as the weeks go on. You know you're gonna get Parsons back, you know, hopefully d Laws as well as going to come back. But when I look into trenches, you know, going against run. I always had a coach in Marinellia who told me it's about man on man Boe on bone situations. Yeah, and can you go out there and can you win your one on one matchups? Like I understand, you get double teamed, you might get pushed out the gap. Okay, you're getting double teamed. But for those one on one situations, you can't be velcrow. You gotta be able to push guys off, shed blocks and make plays.
Speaker 3: You know, that's what you know.
Speaker 1: Being in the National Football league's about us winning your one on ones at making plays. And so far this season, you know, there's been a couple sprinkles of it here. The Cleveland game, they played pretty well against the run Pittsburgh. They did a decent job against Nagie Harris and.
Speaker 3: The crew out there.
Speaker 1: But I just haven't seen enough consistency when you talk about the front seven winning their one on one battles and making plays out there, Like I understand, you know, like I said I said a little bit earlier, the double teams are gonna happen. You know, there's gonna be plays where some guy's gonna try to, you know, play hero ball, make the play swimming in the wrong gap. I understand those things happen. But when you're in your gap and you know your responsibility, what you got to do. You just got to beat the man across from you. I haven't seen enough of that so far this season, So to me, right now, I'm kind of kind of wavering. I want to see what they do when they get fully back and healthy. But you gotta start winning these one on one battles.
Speaker 3: Man, you got some.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm gonna take the other side of the line here, because to me, this is where I was wrong about this team. I felt like that this offensive line could be a strength and it's truly not. You know, you've got a situation. We've talked about what's going on on the right side. The bar has been set so high for Zack Martin in a Hall of Fame career. He's you know, whether he's dealing with the back injury. I mean the stuff popped up during the week that you know that he gets a veteran day. They're trying to do their best. It's not the same Zach Martin. You know, Zach Martin is now kind of a mortal player. He looks like a mere mortal the way he's playing. And you know, there was a time where Zach Martin when he you know, he was his ability to punish those tackles, you know, and help in the twist games and things like that. He's given up more pressures than he's ever given up. You know, he's he's really struggling with some of his power. Man, his back might be bothering, his base might be bothering him. You know, we talked about a little bit about Terrence Still the right side. They've had some struggles over there. You got a rookie center that has to learn how to play the inside twist game. And Mike McCarthy said it yesterday in the press conference. He says, we're getting a lot more line movement and that's because Geiton excuse me, Bebe is so aggressive and trying to pass his guy. He gets stuck and then here comes the looper over the top and he can't get back. And now Dak I mean the ball that went down the sidelines. If you talked about Jerry Jones is always believed, you know, keep the middle of the pocket firm so that the quarterback can step up and throw really bad example of this the other day for the Cowboys was the ball that went down to Tolbert where everybody says he lost it.
Speaker 3: In the sun.
Speaker 7: But if Dak has the ability to step up, he really just kind of throws it just with his arm, not with a step.
Speaker 3: Ball goes out further.
Speaker 7: It's probably a touchdown, and that's because Zach Martin gave up a pressure inside the McNeil. You know, here you go and now Dak has nowhere to step but there, you know, there's a struggle there.
Speaker 3: Your most consistent player is.
Speaker 7: Tyler Smith at guard, and he's had to play a couple of different spots, which we all know. And then you got what's going on with Geyton on the way we've been accustomed for so many years of plug and play, plug and play, plug and play, you know, first round guy, plug and Play's gonna be an All Pro. This is kind of the first year where it's been like it's been a real big learning curve has really been steep. And I don't know if it's because Guidance playing on the right side at Oklahoma now he's playing on the left side, but there's a there's a learning curve there, and this is what worries me about the team going forward. I think the line right now, which I thought was going to be a strength, right now has its issues at certain spots, and I think it's affecting the way the offense is being able to function.
Speaker 1: Quick question, So do you believe that this offensive line can be better run blocking or they're just as bad.
Speaker 7: When you talk about the problem, the problem you run into, Barry is like, you know, this is really unfair because you watch Detroit's offensive line and Frank ragnow the center and how and then you watch you know, they've got good Yeah, Penny sewel and Decker is not great at left tackle, but he's but it's four guys and hiding one. You know, it's it's not like one guy hiding four. You know, Dallas is kind of in that mode where there we're kind of you know, it's kind of not good. They're in the offensive line right now. But when you watch Dallas block, say the you know, much better against the Steelers, which I thought was going to be a big, big issue. You know, the combination blocks they just do not get. Guys, everybody that kills Dallas in the running game gets second level blocks.
Speaker 3: I mean it's center up on linebacker, guard up on linebacker. You know, it's it's tackle up on linebacker.
Speaker 7: I mean it is Everybody that kills you in the running game doesn't have any respect for your down linemen.
Speaker 3: They just don't.
Speaker 7: They shove and go, shove, go, and Dallas has to the way their scheme is, Dallas, you know, hip to hip, try and push and then push that guy off. Where teams that you're playing, Saints Ravens, this Detroit bunch, they don't. They just they they trust their guys to go one on one and get somebody on the second level. And now you got the ball, So Dallas, Dallas leaves. I'll say this, if you're running game requires that that Tolbert blocks Hutchinson on the back side and gets that block, and your running game is going to it's gonna it's gonna hinge on getting that block.
Speaker 3: That ain't you may want to change your scheme.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when when when Tolbert is trying to go inside and cut off Aiden Hutchinson from getting to the.
Speaker 3: Ball, you're maybe maybe you need.
Speaker 7: To look at listen. I'm not a line coach, I'm not an offensive coordinator. I was just a scout, you know. I mean, I'm trying to find you players that maybe I can get you, Maybe I can get you a wide receiver a Deebo Sam who can block a they can block Ad Hutchinson. Maybe I can get you a you know, maybe I could get you. I mean Ryan floorin Away is a big guy and when he when he blocked in the Pittsburgh game, he could have got called for holding in two plays.
Speaker 3: He'll try.
Speaker 7: But but if your scheme requires you to take a wide receiver and cut the backside off, you might be you know, you might be might be in for a long day.
Speaker 6: Usually usually when we're watching the game, because we watch the games in the studio between.
Speaker 3: Throw at the screen. Man Barry was there this past week.
Speaker 6: He would have died on that play because, I mean, Isaiah, Nate and I were talking about and we're like, what.
Speaker 3: What is going well?
Speaker 7: Well, a lot of times you see teams will take in teams to play the Cowboys, especially Parsons on the backside, Tanks on the backside. They'll take a tight end and they might they might step right and then bring that tight end back, you know, they bring the block, they crack they kind of they bring a motion and crack that in and they crack that in and then get everybody front.
Speaker 6: So it's not really even Tolbert. It's just it's a leverage deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it is. Didn't happen, so Tolbert and you know, God bless him.
Speaker 7: I mean, he tries, but it's like it's like firing tennis balls off a tank.
Speaker 3: You know, it just ain't gonna work.
Speaker 7: And I'm sure there's somebody whos gonna listen to this program and go, Dann brought us. You don't know what the hell you're talking about. But I'm watching the scheme and I'm like going, if you're thinking your wide receiver is going to block an all pro edge, you know, there's a lot of time where Dallas kind of very correct me on this one. Okay, man, I'm sorry, I'm just doing this. But the interception that that Dak through in the corner of the end zone, that that branch guy. How many times in practice would you have run that play? Maybe three times? And every time the coaches tell the safety to or the corner.
Speaker 3: Okay, react to the flat right, jump the flat, jump the float over there. Make sure you're jumping it on the car. Jump the flat, jump the flat.
Speaker 7: But then you're not You're you're you're doing in the game, and it's like three times in the practice.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna, he's gonna.
Speaker 9: I'm who's all of a sudden, Yeah, you got a young You've got a young, a young safety corner that knows how to And he's like he sees the fake.
Speaker 3: Screen to tall Bert and he's like huh and.
Speaker 6: He's like, I don't have any help over that.
Speaker 7: He's looking at Dak and he's going, he ain't throwing the ball the flat and he sits right there and then he just sinks.
Speaker 3: You know, that's a football play right there.
Speaker 7: But I guarantee you in practice three times they ran that play and all three times they hit it.
Speaker 3: In the corner. It's because jump the floot, you know. And it's it's always play. I mean always it's.
Speaker 7: It's it's it's a little maddening, it is.
Speaker 3: But see, because that's what happens.
Speaker 7: I think they get in the game and they're like, oh, this motion will influence. They don't motion enough to influence. Like you watch teams that really are good at like the play actually the motion. The teams you play that have two motions emotion and in another motion. The Saints people like that. So you know, when you do that kind of stuff, when you're moving bodies and playing with Barry's eyes, it's safety. Sit there, going damn, they're moving, and then they're moving again, you know, and now you're thinking, well, and they moved on and they play before that, and all that in the back of your head. Another example here, you know, they the Lions, they they have like they have three on one side and then they have say, Saint Brown on the other side, and they run three guys outside the numbers. I mean, they take three guys, so they're taking three defenders away and they're running Saint Brown inside to replace all the movement that happened here. And now the ball's right there and it's a twelve yard game and you're going, damn, look what they just did. They moved three defenders with that, they got everybody out of the out of the way, and then they ran a guy inside.
Speaker 3: But see that happens.
Speaker 7: When you run a lot of movement, motion kind of you know, make a lot of you know, a lot of eye candy, eye wash.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for these guys, did you hate motion when you played or was it like not that big a deal.
Speaker 1: I hated motion because you know, I had to communicate throughout the entire defense.
Speaker 3: All they're doing here, we gotta switch.
Speaker 7: Up to here, we gotta switch and they're playing in Pittsburgh and nobody can hear him yelling correct, you know.
Speaker 6: And maybe I'm just a young guy who likes offense and whatever. Like if there's a defen who played as long in the league as you did, Yeah, that says I hate.
Speaker 3: Motion, Then why would you not run motion? Well, it's constant.
Speaker 7: A lot of teams are I'm just saying that Dallas is more of a static team. It's that's how they play. That's how they've always.
Speaker 3: That's how they play.
Speaker 7: But to me, I mean, I get to watch a lot of tape of other teams, and when you watch these teams like the Lions and stuff, and it's pretty simple.
Speaker 3: Dallas did a good job.
Speaker 7: If you look at the one arm, the one arm, the one hand catch that Lamb had, he switches, he switches his route so he's like lined up and then he moves outside. They get a slot blitz and now he runs like the arrow inside. But it makes Branch have to cover from depth because they're trying to replace the they're trying to replace the blitzer. Yeah, so all of a sudden, it's like, ah, got you bowl. Here we go one hand, catch up the field going and you're like going. And poor Dak he deals with tight window throws. There's not a there's not a dude that throws more tight window balls than this guy.
Speaker 6: It's actually statistically and he number one and nobody complete score tight window throws than the suit very much.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but it just to me when you start to talk about playing the Lions and playing the Ravens and playing the quarterback at the Ravens, was the big problem in that.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's distresses everybody else escape.
Speaker 7: The Lions, the line and the running backs with the issue here in this game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they had their way.
Speaker 6: They had their way early and often against the Cowboys. All Right, that's reasons to be pessimistic. We kind of went through the x's and O side of things as well.
Speaker 3: I love it. Reasons for optimism. There's still some out there.
Speaker 6: May not be very prevalent right now because of the forty seven to nine, but I want to find a couple of them when we come back here on talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and then Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T fi G Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 2: Five G requires Campapa plan and device five G may not be available in your areas. See att dot com Slash five G for U fifty deals.
Speaker 10: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Hey y'all.
Speaker 11: Matt Pittman of meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramp and cold. That's where Yetti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yettie Cowboys gears now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yettie dot Com. Check it out today. Yetti Official cooler and Drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: And we're going to overtime Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 12: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com slash Erica by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica Responses me. Very digital tool featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 6: This portion of the show is brought to you by in Visi Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Back here with Brian Brought Us Barry Church too, the.
Speaker 6: Best to do it in the media game in DFW. I'm Kyle Yewmens with Chris Beam in the back, wrapping up a Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys. This crew will be back tomorrow one final time going into the bye week, and then of course you can catch Brian Brought Us on the.
Speaker 3: Break on one O five through the fan, you can catch Barry.
Speaker 6: Church on Players Lounge, baby Uh, and then pregame and postgame coverage with the team as well. So plenty of ways to catch these guys after this week of mixing and matchinggan shows.
Speaker 3: This is the the.
Speaker 6: Break or talking break lounge is what I can talk with Talking break Lounge.
Speaker 3: That's what we get. Talking in the lounge, talking in the lounge. I like that break, take a break, talk the lounge. There we go. Look off the top of edge you should just take that for your shit.
Speaker 6: Take it that way like break is in the SEO, and we can get it all there.
Speaker 3: We go up at nine am tomorrow, by the way, nine am. Yeah, back at nine am regular time.
Speaker 6: We had to flip flop some things today, all right, reasons for positivity, reasons for positivity. How much better can this team get, Brian, and when you get these guys back from injury.
Speaker 3: No, that's your hope right there.
Speaker 7: I think the positivity to me would be last year when they had their Cross the Hall meetings. The offense was before the Cross the Hall meetings, before the break where the offense was very poor. It was very stagnant, very stale. My hope is that that you know, as the players, because of collective bargaining, you don't get the practice like you need to practice. I mean, Barry would tell you that he used to practice till a Friday and then get a Saturday off and then have to be back Sunday. Now yeah, no farce. I mean all these guys they did all that stuff. But now that because of collective bargain, this is an opportunity for the coaches to have their cross the Hall meetings with each other and you know, Mike Zimmer sit down and look at the offense, you know, and Shot and Hind Brian Shot Himmer sit down and look at the defense, kind of figure out some things. But you know, last year you came out of this, the offense became much better. Yeah, And to me, that's my hope that is that some of these things that now the coaches have the next five to six days the ability to sit down and really get into their tendencies, get into things that work, h things that didn't work, maybe reevaluate why did we have this in the game plan, why do we need we need to put this in the game plan. That's my hope that that that that the same type of different looking ideas and schemes come to the forefront this time around.
Speaker 3: That's that's my hope.
Speaker 7: Because you're not going to add any more players, You're just not and so you're going only get players back that are healthy, you know, that's the thing, and you just again, you know, you just don't need any more injuries. Maybe Dallas has got through their injury parts for this uh for this time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, knocking on wood.
Speaker 7: For sure, But uh, that's my hope that that that that the.
Speaker 3: Scheme that things.
Speaker 7: The scheme may be a little bit different, maybe some adjustments of more of the good take out the bat.
Speaker 6: This is, of course, the second straight year that the Cowboys have had a week seven bye week. They had it last year too, And if you look at the teams, they were four and two at the bye last year. They're three and three this year, so one game difference, And honestly, the way they lost their two games last.
Speaker 3: Year were similar.
Speaker 6: You lost to a team you probably shouldn't have lost too the.
Speaker 3: Years Cardinals, they kicked your ass.
Speaker 6: You got your ass kicked against San Francisco forty two to ten game, very similar to what just happened in Detroit. Now it was on the road and it was against the same FRAN team that, oh, by the way, was coming off of an NFC title game appearance, just like the Detroit Lions. So similar loss. You found your way back right before the bye with a tight win. Not a great played football game against the Chargers, but you found a way. Same kind of thing happened in Pittsburgh. You found a way, wasn't a great played football game. Is actually the same exact score twenty to seventeen, so it's not that different. Now there's one game difference, and that's going to play a schedule that's a lot tougher this year than it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is the problem now.
Speaker 6: So you're about to go into a portion of the season that's the toughest stretch out of maybe and you could argue in the NFL in terms of toughest schedule to play as a player on the bye week in that situation where you're saying, Okay, it hasn't been good, there's a lot of things to fix. I know I'm off, but is there an extra step that you can take realistically with the collective bargaining agreement and the way that things are set up.
Speaker 1: Well, you guys, you know, you know said it perfectly. Ross went with the players and how the coaches can get better at it. You went to you know, last year, how that situation handled. And if I'm a player in this locker room, I'm looking at it like this. Yeah, we played like you know, boo boo for a couple of games out there, but every goal is still obtainable. You're three and three and just look at the division.
Speaker 6: Your one game out itself.
Speaker 3: The Giants.
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody really believes they're playing a little bit better. But you know, there's still a couple of years out. In my opinion, Philadelphia is holding on by a string right now.
Speaker 6: Head coach Turmoil all that you were one game out of the bye week last year as well.
Speaker 1: Out and in Washington, who's been playing great. They've you know, dan Quinn's got their players playing, you know, quarterbacks, quarterbacks playing great. LSU guy's been playing unbelievable. But I want to see can he do that throughout the rest of the season. So all your goals are still there. I mean, you're three and three, one game out. There's still a lot of football left to be played. You're gonna get your guys back, hopefully healthy, hopefully soon, and you're gonna go out there and you got to play better. I mean, that's that's the bottom line. You gotta play better defensively, offensively, special teams I think has been playing outstanding, But everybody has a collective group has got to go out there too.
Speaker 7: You know what bothers me and Barry can address this. So I hate this when it bothers me so much. When the head coach talks about preparation and then the players talk about preparation, and it's and it's always curely go.
Speaker 3: On the coaching well, it's always after the loss. It's always never need to practice better.
Speaker 7: And I'm like thinking, Okay, we just wasted seven days to get ready for what to get get.
Speaker 3: Our eyes handed to us.
Speaker 7: You know, if that's the case, A man, that's a that's a that's a question. Is the general manage you asks like, why do you guys keep talking about preparation? What are we doing differently that we haven't done before? Is there something that we need to change? Is there something that we need to adjust? You know that bothers me. That is every time I hear a player or a coach say practice wasn't really particularly very good. I know you're not gonna have great practices every single day, but if you're telling me when a great week of practice, yeah, then why why wasn't it a great week of practice?
Speaker 3: Was it the way it was set up? How do you fix it? How do you fix that?
Speaker 7: Because if that, if the players believe that's the reason why, and the coach believes that's the reason why, something's got to change, something's got to change, you can't sit there just every every time you get blasted by a team, come out and say, need to work harder. Mike told us yesterday and the press camerags he goes, you know, we work hard. That part of it is hard, but we don't always practice well. And I'm like, I'm like, okay, well, who's responsibility that is?
Speaker 3: That's that's what I'm saying. And I and I and I you know, I don't get.
Speaker 6: To watch practice like I used to nobody.
Speaker 3: I wish, I wish I and I'm not talking.
Speaker 7: I mean I wish when I was in personnel, I could go out there and think we're gonna get our ass handed to us today, or hey, this team is on the screws. You know, we're on the screws. We're gonna this is going to be a good game for us, you know, because you can watch and see what things look like they might work and which ones when you watch the tape, it's like, we got no chance in health. They're putting that in the game plan. Yeah, you know, and and there's a lot of things that we got no chance in health. If we put that in the game plan. They need to fix that. But that's a negative thing.
Speaker 3: But my hope.
Speaker 7: My hope is that some of the faults now that they could step back, look at the analytics even further and kind of dive into where you're good and where you've struggled and find a way to understand why you struggled so bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny. My dad all the time was always he had this mantra.
Speaker 6: Of course, the cliche is practice makes perfect. Right, he said, no, practice does not make perfect perfect. Practice makes perfect.
Speaker 3: That's part of it. Because you can practice the wrong thing, pure and simple.
Speaker 6: You can have bad reps and bad practice that put you in a bad spot moving forward. Not saying that that's constantly the case, but if it's coming from Mike McCarthy, if it's coming from the head show.
Speaker 3: It's coming from the players and the players.
Speaker 7: I think that when you watch Dak stand up there and Dak has to take the arrows after the law of time, he takes the arrows up there, and and then he says, you know, we just need to practice better.
Speaker 3: You need to become better.
Speaker 7: Professionals need to and you're going that's keeping you from winning these games, Well, then damn do something about it.
Speaker 1: Like when do you realize, man, this was a bad practice after the loss or like, you know, as you're going through practice, did you did when did you realize it? Well, when I was playing, they were allowed to start the whole thing over.
Speaker 11: Yea.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you saw coaches, man just ain't good enough, start this whole period over again. I don't know if you're able to do that anymore, but you know that's what they used to do when I.
Speaker 3: Was playing, that would be that would be enough for me to do it.
Speaker 6: We're having a bad show where thirty five minutes in and beamers in the back, he's like, guys, flipp reset, but let's start this thing over. I'd be like, Okay, I'm on my p's and q's, I'm there, I'm ready, let's ride.
Speaker 3: Let's let's do this.
Speaker 6: But yeah, maybe not the same era and it's not, but either way, you got to.
Speaker 3: Find a way.
Speaker 6: That's on your leaders, that's on your coaching staff, that's on your quarterback, it's on everybody that has a significant role of leadership in the building, and you got to get it right well.
Speaker 3: And again, the front office, everybody takes. Everybody takes a turn.
Speaker 7: At this thing, and so they need to sit down this week and kind of go through those meetings and figure out really what the main thing. If your players aren't good enough, that's one thing. But if you're getting beat because you're not scheming correctly or preparations not good enough, then that that's something that that.
Speaker 3: To me is you know, we need to do something different.
Speaker 6: And just to end it on a high note if we're if you're going to expect improvement significantly because of a bye week, it's probably not going to come from the player side of things immediately because they're off, they are away, they are not in the building. But your coaching staff this is where it's got. They're in the building. This is where preparation can be turned around.
Speaker 3: This is where the.
Speaker 7: General manager needs to walk down the hall and kind of have some individual meetings with guys and just kind of and you know, him and Steven and Will McLay they need to and you know, and hey, we'll see, I mean, we'll see how that all plays out, but hopefully they get that done.
Speaker 3: Last year, coming out of the.
Speaker 6: By I had the the neck and neck of what it looked like they had the Rams, the Eagles, the Panthers, the Commanders, the Giants.
Speaker 3: Is not in that.
Speaker 6: Specific order, but they were the next five teams up.
Speaker 3: Not that way. This year. You've got damn well Houston.
Speaker 6: Not very easy for the Dallas Cowboys, but we're going to figure it out. We're going to figure it out on our side of things at least. But we'll be back tomorrow with more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is fun, gentlemen.
Speaker 6: Thank you great for great having you guys, Thanks for stopping by, and we'll do it again tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Nine A.
Speaker 6: Barry Church can get back out on the golf course and make sure for Brian brought us Barry Church for Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 6: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.