Speaker 1: Oh man, guys, folks, friends and neighbors. In these crazy times, I think we all love taking a little bit of a break from the headlines and go it into you know, conspiracies of yesteryear, hidden history, paranormal stuff, things like that, right Krakatoa, Yeah, yeah, stuff that.
Speaker 2: Can't hurt of Oh my bad creatine. But agree like stuff that can't hurt us right now, right, It's it's mysterious. There's a mystery to be solved, but not going to affect us as we walk around drinking all this coffee. It's true.
Speaker 1: We yes, I do drink a lot of coffee too.
Speaker 2: Finally finished, I need more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's happening as soon as we roll the tape on what really happened to the Lost Colony of Roanoke?
Speaker 3: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies, history is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeart Radios How Stuff Works.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show.
Speaker 1: My name is Matt, they call me Ben, and we are joined as always with our super producer Paul, Mission Control Deck, and most importantly, you are you you are here, and that makes this stuff. They don't want you to know this. This is a weird one. We've been doing some hidden history recently, Matt.
Speaker 2: Yes, we have, and it's some of our favorite topics that we ever cover on the show. I think, personally for the two of us, am I speaking for you too much here? I feel like I feel like when we hit a historical mystery like this, I can see your gears turning and I can feel mine turning. And uh, this one is certainly no exception. This is a topic that I'm really surprised we haven't covered before in the past.
Speaker 1: I was surprised too. And it's funny because on our Facebook page, here's where it gets crazy. Today's topic was actually a subject of conversation. Did you see that?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, No, I didn't even look.
Speaker 1: Yes, here's where it gets crazy our Facebook community page. Hello, Maddie B. Maddie recently said, have they meaning us? Matt done a good episode about Roanoke and I like that. Maddie said, good, good, Yes, you qualify a.
Speaker 2: Good one about that yet well, and then John H came through and said, like Croatian Roanoke.
Speaker 1: So so I responded there and said we have not, but stay tuned for an upcoming episode. Hopefully it will be a good one. And this is that episode. We were working on it. We didn't want to spoil the surprise. We're not sure when this comes out, but we are finally doing an episode investigate the strange story of the Lost Colony of Roanoke. So everybody growing up in the US, here's some version of this story, typically in middle school, right. Yes, it's like a middle school story that's spooky enough to get the attention of even the class clown.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, and it's as you're learning your first learning about the British colonies within you know, in North America, and you start learning about a lot of these and you're going through you know, it's interesting stuff. It really is. When you think about the hardships, the genocide. There's like all kinds of crazy stuff that was happening at the time. But the mystery really hits when you start talking about Roanoke.
Speaker 1: Yes, a story that, depending on who you ask, has not been resolved even in these our modern days. So here are the facts. This tale really begins in fifteen when a gentleman named Sir Walter Raleigh makes a deal with Queen Elizabeth, the first to establish an English colony in you know, in North America.
Speaker 2: Right, And he was given a timeframe. It wasn't like just okay, you have carte blanche, go out there and just make a colony. He was given ten years to do it. And the whole concept here was that whatever is recovered, whatever's found once, you know, as this colony is being established, would be shared between Sir Walter and his people as well as it would be shared with him and the Crown essentially.
Speaker 1: And yeah, make no mistake, he's kind of working on commission.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, because that's exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: If they don't find anything, then all of that money, time, all his resources will have been for not And that would sound like a very risky endeavor unless we consider the other ulterior motive for the establishment of colonies in this part of the world, which was, of course it was a military application.
Speaker 2: There we go, because England and Great Britain they were fighting Spain as they were, you know, fighting other world powers a lot during those times.
Speaker 1: And this would give this would give sort of a beachhead, sort of a home away from home for English military and naval operations to be based at and Raleigh himself did not personally travel across the Atlantic to establish the colony.
Speaker 2: As we know, that would be a that is a treacherous journey.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, Yeah. And one of the myths that we have to bust, a misperception that a lot of people share about the so called lost Colony of Roanoke is the idea that these people just landed there randomly, came out of nowhere, made some bad decisions, and disappeared. Yeah, here's what happens. There's a lot that leads up to this. There is a initial exploratory expedition. They sail in fifteen eighty four. They're not attempting to establish a permanent base of operations. They're not attempting to start a colony with families. These are due who are kind of scouting out a suitable location.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're literally location scouts. And that's what this whole first expedition was about.
Speaker 1: And they were successful. They found a small island they decided to call it Roanoke. It's located inside what are known as the Outer Banks. The Outer Banks are a long stream of these narrow islands that shelter half the coast of North Carolina, or what we call North Carolina today.
Speaker 2: If you look at a map from above, it looks as though it would just be the entire land mass edge basically, and that got flooded. That's what it looks like from a map.
Speaker 1: And Roanoke itself is pretty attractive to these dudes because as fertile soil, it has easily defensible positions. It's it's well wooded, there's also wildlife. The geography of the island is such that ships can anchor there safely, which is a huge deal, and be easily protected.
Speaker 2: But as was a common situation back in those times, as settlers from Eastern Lands came over to this area, these guys started making all kinds of enemies, especially with the indigenous peoples there. They charged members of one of the local tribes or one of the communities there, they charged them with theft, and they beheaded the chief of one of these groups, and they burned a village to the ground. And that's, you know, not not an initial way you make friends, right.
Speaker 1: Not a good look. No, And keep in mind they were doing this while they were also becoming increasingly reliant on the native population for food, yeah, so that's a terrible first impression. Sir Francis Drake happened to be pirating along the area and he found this exploratory group and he says, you know what, I'll give you a lift back to England. So that is the end of that first exploratory thing. They say we found The first expedition says we found a good place and the geography is fine. And then you know, the British say well, how's the neighborhood, and they go, it's a little intense. Not gonna lie, a little intense.
Speaker 2: You know, we had a hand in the tensions for sure.
Speaker 1: And ahead and ahead and the tensions. So what they didn't know, you know, the phrase ships in the night right, we've all heard that in English. What they didn't know is that they were in a literal ships in the night situation. Because while Drake is sailing back to Europe with that first crew, with that first crew, there is a second ship that is sailing to what they called the New World. These two ships pass one another in the Atlantic. The new group on that second ship, it's about one hundred men, and they they find this abandoned settlement. They live on the island for ten months, and at the end of the ten months, most of them returned to England, but they left a small garrison and probably about fifteen men on Rowano to keep the seat warm, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and to essentially, I guess, as a as a last defense of the area that they're currently controlling right now. This next group of fellows who ended up showing up on the island, they had no idea just how bad of a situation they were entering as far as you know, diplomatic relations with the indigenous peoples were going. So they, you know, unfortunately, also continued being uh pills.
Speaker 1: Let's say, Yeah, there were real pills.
Speaker 2: They're being real pills, real jerks themselves. And it should come as no surprise that these guys, the second group of people that went over to Roanoke, disappeared. They were never seen or heard from again.
Speaker 1: Fast forward fifteen eighty seven, around one hundred and seventeen one and fifteen one hundred and seventeen men, women and children arrive on the third expedition. They settle on Roanoke Island and what would later be called North Carolina. They found the skeletal remains of one of the fifteen soldiers from the earlier expedition, and that's it. We don't know what happened to the other fourteen. This third expedition had the best shot of the three. It was larger in terms of population and in terms of supplies, and they have better supplies too. They were led by a Roanoke veteran, a cartographer and artist named John White. This is also the first group to include substantial amount of women and children, so.
Speaker 2: A real chance of settling down and expanding the population right reproducing.
Speaker 1: And they attempted to reconcile with the native communities. They had mixed results because there was just too much bad blood. They managed to repair relations with one nearby tribe, Powatans living on nearby Croatan Island, but the other tribes in the area saot a hostile aloof distance. We hear you burn villages, You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: The colonists were vastly outnumbered despite the size of their call, and they were terrified that the next small skirmish with any member of the native population could escalate, It could grow into an all out battle, and that battle would inevitably just based on the numbers be a massacre.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, what does he do. Let's go ask the guy who was in charge here at least officially, Sir Walter Raleigh. So he gets in a ship and heads back to England to talk to Raleigh in person, because you know, if you have that kind of meeting in person, you could maybe convey a little better the fears and the stakes that are involved. Rather than sending a message somehow across the sea.
Speaker 1: You could also at this time avoid errors in communication.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, that would be. That's a huge factor here.
Speaker 1: So as weird as it sounds nowadays to say the guys sailed back across the Atlantic to just get in a room with Sir Walter Raleigh and talk to him at that time, we have to remember being able to have that conversation in instantly field answers to questions, because of course they're going to be follow up questions. Yeah, that's probably the most efficient thing to do.
Speaker 2: It is almost inconceivable at this point with communication, you know, in the past hundreds of years being so immediate.
Speaker 1: Right, And he had to plan ahead. So John White said, look, we know things are not terrible yet, but they're not in the best position. You might have to relocate to survive while I'm gone, while I'm gaining favor and organizing a rescue mission. Essentially, so let's figure out symbols that we will leave, signs so that we will return, and if anything goes wrong, it'll be something that just we call in a will understand. He said, if you do move in my absence, carve your destination on this tree. You point out a specific tree, and if you're in trouble, also carve a Maltese cross. So he gets to England. He's got a good plan, and he finds that surprise, surprise, time and distance have made the Empire's goals a little bit, you know, they they've diverged. The Empire and the colonies have different goals. Now. The people in the colonies trying to survive, yes, people in the Empire try to win this war with Spain, and.
Speaker 2: So in the strategic position of you know, potentially Roanoak isn't a high priority anymore.
Speaker 1: Right, So John White shows up and says, hey, we need help and across the ocean and they say, all right, well we're we're really we're doing this Spain thing. Now, that's what this episode of our Our Empire is about we're spent. You're very much ab story right now. And this means that he doesn't return to Roanoke for three years. Yeah, three years, it's a long pause. But when he does return to Roanoke, he's got armed soldiers, he's got the supplies they need. He is ready. The cavalry, as they say, has arrived.
Speaker 2: Yes late, but it's arriving. And we'll tell you what happened right after a word from our sponsor.
Speaker 1: So let's paint the picture. Let's speculate a little bit about what John White encountered when he disembarked. Imagine how strange it must have been for him to return to the settlement. His wife, is child, his son in law, his grandchild had all lived there and it's been three years. But the air is eerily quiet. There are no sounds of you know, someone clanging iron on a.
Speaker 2: Forge, wood being chopped somewhere in the distance.
Speaker 1: There's none of that, just the sounds of nature, the ocean and the empty wind. The houses were gone, they had been taken down. There was one thing he noticed, which was a roughly built fort surrounding the former settlement. And when we say, roughly built. It looked like it had been made in a hurry, Yeah, as a reaction to something. And then on a post he found one of two clues what was it?
Speaker 2: They were carvings, first the word crow a toin so croa t a n. And then on another tree he found the carving croo and it was not in the places where he was expecting it to be, right.
Speaker 1: I believe. So the cannons and boats were supposed to be at the bay nearby, they were gone. White had buried a couple of chests earlier with drawings, maps, and books. He found these, but they were torn apart. They had been ruined at some point over the past three years by the weather. He found no bones, he found no corpses, found no evidence, one way or another to show what had happened to the colonists, other than of course that fortress, the fort they had built around themselves. So it appears that sometime between fifteen eighty seven and fifteen ninety one hundred and seventeen souls of the Roanoke Colony had simply disappeared.
Speaker 2: And our big question today is what happened to them?
Speaker 1: Here's where it gets crazy. So when we explored this top we find that there are some people who are convinced it's been solved. The problem is that not everybody agrees.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: That's why technically this still remains a mystery today with no shortage of what we might call conspiracy theories from in your earlier age, from before the term conspiracy theory existed. So if we ask ourselves what could have happened, we have to note it looks like they didn't leave under duress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the fortress thing alone would lead you to believe that they were trying to protect themselves somehow and quickly. Right. But because you don't have the evidence of bones or you know, anything that would show like a body somewhere, doesn't show that they were leaving under someone either forcing them with physical action, right.
Speaker 1: Or I would say, equally importantly, the Maltese cross is nice. That was supposed to be as a signal of trouble. And now we have to ask ourselves we've been thrown around the words. So they carved out the word croatoin, right, Sometimes I say crootin, but I think it's just a mnemonic plot twist that's happened to me along the way when I was learning this.
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure my brain read Croatin. Earlier when we were discussing the Here's where it gets Crazy thing, it saw Croatan, but it read Croatian. So apologies for that. Everybody has been like raising their fists in the air this entire episode.
Speaker 1: I'm aware now this is plot twisted. There's going to be a second Here's where it gets crazy, and it's all about how they went to Croatia. Yeah, I think about it. People, No, So the here here's what you need to know. So Croaton is a barrier island, another island on these outer banks that you described earlier, Matt. Now it's called Hatteras Island. It's about thirty five miles south of Roanoke, the thirty five nautical miles. It's called Croton because it's home of the Crootan people, the native community, and they this is important, they were friendly to English colonists. So based on that, it seems logical to say if the colonists had run out of food on Roanoke, or if there had been some maybe a problem with sanitation or disease or something that made it unlivable, it would make sense for them to go to the friendly communities, right, And John White knew that. That's the thing about history. Every time we relate these tales and these narratives, we have to remember that people born in living hundreds and hundreds of years ago were just as intelligent as the people you meet today. That is both a compliment and a criticism, you know what I mean. They weren't dumb, They just had different tools.
Speaker 2: So and we're not dumb either, we just have different tools.
Speaker 1: Juries up for debate, you know. I think it's up to future historians. But John White. I say all that about intelligence because John White and his crew and the captain he had hired understood that the next logical move would be to go to the other islands. Yet they never searched that island. John White never searched that island, even though his family had disappeared.
Speaker 2: And for minor issues. Right, the weather was a factor preventing them from going over to that island. And they also lost an anchor at some point in one of their ships, and it made it, you know, at least in their minds and in reality, almost impossible to safely get over there because they've got all these barrier islands across this whole section. You've got pieces of land that are up high enough to where or if you don't know where those islands are, you're going to run your ship on something, probably capsize, if you know, not completely destroy your ship.
Speaker 1: And you have to be able to land or send You have to be able to keep chiefly harbor. Yeah, even to send out a launch boat. So John White is not able to investigate, and he hasked to return to England. There are later expeditions that claim to search for the lost colony. They are either incredibly unsuccessful, they profoundly fail, or they are undertaken with an ulterior motive. There were people who said they were searching for this lost colony, but really they were conducting acts of piracy, or they were trying to, you know, move some product of one sort or another. In fact, it wasn't until the Jamestown Colony was established way later in sixteen oh seven that there were actual, semi successful, good searches to discover the fate of the lost colonists in Roanoke. Here's the other thing. Now, not only we were talking about the colonists, right, and the tragedy, the unanswered questions that are left in the wake of their disappearance. But we have to remember the colony itself disappeared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the buildings, Like how crazy is that the buildings were taken down, So you know, if you're heading if you were to head out to that island, even if you're John White and you know essentially where everything is, the evidence is gone save for that fortress, right.
Speaker 1: And White and other members of the leadership of the colony were not super great at keeping records. Oh yeah, and there's there are a couple of reasons for this, so we'll get into in a moment. But they were so bad at keeping records that people never knew the exact location or whereabouts of that colony. There were numerous digs in the intervening centuries that have failed to produce evidence of the lost colony. Someone discovered remnants of that settlement we mentioned from fifteen eighty five, but there's no evidence of the lost colony that's ever been found. And one of the big problems is with this is that the primary sources, the contemporaneous accounts, contradict one another. They don't agree. So according to John White, the second settlement, the one that's lost, should have been located near the north end of the island, but there was an affidavit from a Spanish sailor in fifteen eighty nine that said the settlement was actually near the center of the island, where they had stationed some cannons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it would make sense for there to be small you know, small not in camp cons but basically cells of the settlement would be, you know, in various places depending on what you're going to use them for. If you're going to be fishing, you're going to have some stuff that's closer to the water. If you're you know, protecting something, it would make sense to put it towards the center of the island. That all makes sense. The problem is if you're going to do an historic dig, you kind of have to do the whole island then at this point to really like figure it out. So there were a couple other things that were found. There was an old well and one small cannon that was found near the bay area, not San Francisco in this case, the Roanoke Bay area, and that was basically in support of the deposition that was given by that Spanish salor. But then some some historians now believe that the what was it The fifteen eighty seven settlement actually is underwater.
Speaker 1: Right right, that centuries of have submerged the settlement, and that we should be looking under the waves for it instead of under the ground. Ultimately, right now, no one is sure what happened to the Roanoke colonists. Through again, no one agrees on their theory about what happens. When it comes to the story of the lost colony. We have a lot of theories, we just don't have a ton of hard evidence. So let's just quickly go to the initial theory. What did Governor John White think? So he is the first person who officially discovered the colonists have disappeared. He reports everything he sees in a letter. He says, there are no bones like those that they found in the fifteen eighty five colony where they found the remnants of that one soldier. And Governor White said, the houses have been taken down. They had not been destroyed, they had not been burned. They have been disassembled in theory to be reassembled somewhere who knows. Who knows?
Speaker 2: That would be the only thing that makes sense to me. But let's continue.
Speaker 1: In White's opinion, they moved and we have the quote here fifty miles into the main meaning that they have moved inland into the forest of North Carolina. Proper. Historians like this idea for numerous reasons over the years. But when they get to when you get to the part of the narrative where you say why did they move inland? What happened to them afterwards, that's when you see more and more and more debate. We're going to pause for a word from our sponsor and then we'll return with more theories after the break, and.
Speaker 2: We're back now. Just let's I want to have a quick comment on there about this concept to the perhaps the colonists moved inward towards the main The only thing I would put forward here is that food had always been an issue in this settlement. And if you are moving, you know, to the mainland and not an island that's so separated from probably populations of certain mammals that are walking around and birds and other things, it would make sense that they would move inland to have a better food source. There are a lot of problems here. The main one would be that the indigenous populations may not like that very much. That they're encroaching in that way. But well, let's get into all this stuff, because it really is conceivable overall that the colonists met a much less violent fate. Then maybe you would think, you know, having all of their stuff gone and just disappearing, because the first thing, at least I think of, is, oh, something, most foul occurred here. But perhaps that's not the case.
Speaker 1: Right. The Jamestown colonists when they when they conducted that search sixteen hundreds, they surnounted a couple of different parties to hunt down members of the lost Colony, and it became a common thing, standard operating procedure for them to question any members of native communities when they may contact. It was one of the things they always asked them about, you know what I mean, how's the weather? You know, how is the fishing good? Have you seen any people who look like us? And if so, what's what's their deal? So we're paraphrasing some of the people that these colonists talked to said, there are settlements further down the coast with people who look like you, and they have two story thatched roof houses that look like and you know from the descriptions Europeans would think, well, that sounds like the kind of stuff we would build, And then other groups told of nearby tribes that could read English and dressed in a similar method manner to Europeans. The most I think the most dramatic report in the record is the story that someone cited a child who is dressed in the manner of a native group, and this child had blonde hair and was fair skinned. So they thought maybe maybe something terrible happens, like maybe a disease or some sort of natural disaster, and that due to that, the surviving members of the colony were adopted or assimilated into a native population. I do want to pause while we're talking native populations. So the island is crootoin the community is Croatan Croatan. Yeah, yeah, okay, So that's that. If you hear if you hear us of doing some word juggling, if you hear me doing that, it's just my mind's playing tricks on me.
Speaker 2: And if you if you hear me say Croatian, is just because I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: Still, we don't know. We have to hold out for that theory. So this this mention of assimilation from European survivors into a native American community has doubtlessly, doubtlessly had a ring of familiarity to some of our fellow listeners, and if you're from the area, if you're from North Carolina, then you're very familiar with what we're about to say, which is, of course the story of the Lumbe l U m b E. These reports from the from the early days of the Jamestown investigations to the modern day is to corroborate one of the most popular theories about what became of these colonists, that they assimilated into these tribes, and the idea is that over the core of multiple generations, intermarriage between these groups would produce a different, distinct group that had elements from both communities, and this group is called the Lumbee tribe by people who believe this theory. The Lumbee tribe is native to North Carolina, but according to the stories, no one can really pin down their origin, and you can see a number of different theories about their origin with varying degrees of credibility. But they have an oral.
Speaker 2: History, right yeah own. That oral history actually links them to Roanoak settlers, or at least two aspects of those settlers, so that oral tradition is supported by some of the surnames within the tribe, which is really interesting, and it was the tribe itself was unique because several of the members, a lot of the members could speak English. And then if you again we're talking about the surnames, you look at the family names of some of the Roanoke Colonists, You've got people like Hyatt Taylor Dial. The Lumbee tribe members or at least members of the Lumbee tribe shared these names as early as the seventeen hundreds. I think seventeen nineteen is the first date that we're aware of there and other settlers who would come through make their way, you know, and interact with these tribes, they would, you know, they would be pretty astonished that these groups of people had gray eyes. Several times they would speak English, and there was even It's really interesting because even if you're if you're talking to members within the group, or if you have reports from members within the Lumbee tribe, they cannot come to a full conclusion on whether or not there was a true link to the Roanoke Colonists.
Speaker 1: Right, that's correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's come to be called a thing. It's been called the Lumbye connection.
Speaker 1: Which is I love that as the title of something, you know, the Lumby connection, the sequel to the French connection. I'm not sure. Yeah, it remains intriguing because if that is, if it is true, if there's sands to this theory, then the Roanoke colonists aren't lost. Their genes are still around today in Robeson County, North Carolina. And if you are listening, you are a member of a group like this Lumby or related communities of which there are several. We would love to know your take on this, especially with the advent of DNA testing, which dramatically changed the conversation around the origin of the Malunging community. There's another set of theories which says that the Roanoke settlers fell victim not to a Native American community, but to the Spanish Empire, because the Spanish had a settlement just down the coast in Florida, right, And we know that the Spanish forces in the West Indies were aware that there were English colonists around. They weren't happy about it, but they.
Speaker 2: Knew, yeah, exactly. And there's actually a tale here that was told by Darby Gland, GLA and Dee. This was a Roanoake settler. He left the fifteen eighty seven expedition after it set ashore in Puerto Rico to take on supply. So they were going to stop in Puerto Rico pick up supplies, right. He later reported that he told Spanish officials there when he was making this transaction in Puerto Rico about the Roanoake settlement exactly where it was, almost as in, I don't know, an act of espionage.
Speaker 1: So that's the thing, right when we talk about when we talk about the bad record keeping a student, listeners will notice that we also pointed out John White was a professional cartographer. Yeah, so why would a professional map maker do such a pissport job of you know, mapping things. It probably was not because of incompetence. It was more likely that this vagueness was a matter of state security, hmm, So that the Empire couldn't find out, you know, the Spanish Empire forces couldn't find out about the colony and then attack it before the British could send someone over across the ocean.
Speaker 2: It really does make you game out the whole scenario when you think about it in that light. Yeah, as as a counter intelligence act of cartography. Counterintelligence cartography. That's a new thing.
Speaker 1: That's good. I like it.
Speaker 2: Oh man, dude, that's so crazy because what if it was never located there ever, Oh, right on that island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or you know, also, I want to say, the idea of a a renegade cartographer is fantastic, mister white renegade cartographer. Yes, it's con rogue. There are other theories that the colonists were innocent bystanders in a entering in media arrests into a greater conflict between rival native communities. There's an anthropologist John Hopkins University named Lee Miller who says the colonists wandered into a violent shift of the balance of power amongst the tribes that lived inland because Roanoke is geographically located in the crux of what was at the time intense socio political friction between two groups. There was the Secotan, who were you know, who had dominion over Roanoke. There's another group, the Chowanooke, who controlled the waterways that were nearby. And again, you know, not Native speakers, so we're not intentionally mispronouncing the names natives that the colonists were friendly with began to lose control over the area and native communities that were hostile to the settlers, again with pretty good reason to be. They took over the area, they gained more control. So before the Jamestown colonists arrived, or maybe right around the same time, either around the same time or right before the Poetan had attacked and destroyed the Chesapeake.
Speaker 2: Hmm, waits then that tribe, is it the Powatan Polatan? That's how familiar to me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it should that is where that is where the famous Pocahontas is from. Oh yeah, it's not all paint with painting with all the colors of the wind.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They they very much wanted to kill the Chesapeake. So relationships between the English colonists and the Paletan were let's say cold, sure. But even then, even with that, the English forces were able to get a little bit of information about what happened to the Roanoke colony, or they were able to learn something. Who knows if it was true. If the Roanoke colonists had gone inland in the midst of this conflict, then the men would have been killed, the women and children probably would have been captured as slaves. And if they had been captured as slaves, they would have been traded along established roots that span the US coast from Virginia to Georgia. And this is important because if we look at the timeline, the idea would be that the somewhere in that intervening three years, the Roanoke colonists assimilate to another tribe. But then that tribe is attacked, and when that tribe is attacked, the attacking tribe doesn't care if the people look kind of different, you know what I mean, It's rules of war at that point.
Speaker 2: Jeez. Well, so those are some of the big theories, right, And with as those theories were being generated, and as they continued, you know, for decades and centuries, people in the more modern day we have been trying to, you know, prove that one of these is true, right, or at least disprove a few of these. We're scientific methoding this thing, you guys. And you know, despite over a century of going on that island, digging all over the place, trying to find some remnant of the colony that would show us, like some tiny clue, a little flashlight in the dark that would show us this picture here, we have really found nothing right now.
Speaker 1: In the nineteen nineties, archaeologists working for the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation in Virginia found what they're pretty sure is a workshop from the fifteen eighty five expedition. That's why a guy named Joaquim Gans had tested rocks for precious metals. Other people at the workshop studied plants to figure out their properties. They studied tobacco, things like that, how can we make money off this? What can be used for gons is interesting because he was a Bohemian expert. Is the first recorded Jewish person in colonial America, and he's also the first Bohemian in colonial America. This workshop looked a lot like an alchemist out you know, outfit or establishment.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, they found crucibles, you know crucibles right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, classic classic alchemical paraphernalia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, pharmaceutical let's call them jars. Glassware was littered all across the floor. There were bricks that were probably used or seemed to be have been used in a special furnace situation for you know, manipulating and some of the ingredients we're talking about here. The layout itself resembled those of sixteenth century woodcuts that we that we have of these German alchemical workshops that were kind of describing here where it looks as though, if you know, you took one of these woodcuts, if you could, if you could enter it somehow and be inside the area of the woodcut, and then just destroyed all the stuff that you saw, yeah, and let it sit there for a long time. That's what they think they found.
Speaker 1: I see. So now, officially, as of the nineteen nineties, experts have only found the remains of that workshop and an earthen fort that may have been built at a later day and time. Diggs conducted near this earthwork. The fort we just mentioned in the eighteen nineties and nineteen forties didn't really give us a bunch of stuff to go on. They don't really change our understanding or help it evolve. Excavations continue in the modern day. In twenty eighteen, an archaeologist named Eric Klingelhoffer and as vice president for research at the nonprofit First Colony Foundation in Durham, said, I firmly believe that our program of re excavation will provide answers to the vexing questions that past field work has left us. I love that quote, so, I mean it's good. You know, they're pretty open about the fact that they are going to return to some previous excavations. Maybe improvements and technology will help us, will help us find things we missed the first time.
Speaker 2: That's the returning to the moon kind.
Speaker 1: Of speak, right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, shout out to the mooners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all these vexing questions about the dark side of the Moon.
Speaker 1: The other problem is that it may be too late. There may be an expiration date on discovering the settlement, and that expiration date may have passed. Some geologists believe it is vanished under the waves. Like you said earlier. Matt JP Walsh from the University of North Carolina says that recent studies suggests shifting currents and rising waters inundated the site in the past couple of cent trees. He estimates the island's north end again one of the locations.
Speaker 2: Are purported locations.
Speaker 1: From John White. He estimates to the north end of the islands lost about seven hundred and fifty meters in the past four hundred years, and their currents and hurricanes could bury any artifacts. But not everybody buys this explanation.
Speaker 2: No, there's a guy who has a wonderful name named Guy Prentice. It just feels right, feel it feels like a play on Apprentice, But it's Guy Apprentice. He's his archaeologist from NPS's Southeast Archaeological Center in Tallahassee. And we've got a quote from him here. He says, if you look at the maps from the seventeen hundreds, the island's geography has not changed much. I just don't buy that a couple of thousand yards are gone. So he's estimating, you know, again at seven and fifty meters. It's it's a lot. That's a lot of that would just be gone. And I understand why Guy Prnus would say, yeah, I don't buy it. However, it becomes a matter of kind of who you believe and bearing out the science, because you'd have to figure out exactly how much you know, how do you even if you've got two experts that are competing in that way on belief about where the water has gone on this island and how much water has actually approached the you know, the center of the island itself, and how far you realize that, oh, something is wrong here. We don't have enough data or something, because we should be able to have an exact answer to that question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's strange because according to a couple of different tests for various theories, the Lumbye DNA may not be itself native American, maybe European and African. This genetic testing can always always runs the risk of leaving people with more questions than answers. And now we're looking at the use of things like magnetometers, ground penetrating radar, things that people just didn't have earlier, and of course their investigations. So it is completely possible that we may be able to reconstruct the order of events that led to the disappearance of the colonists at Roano. And that's our classic episode for this evening. We can't wait to hear your thoughts. It's right, let us know what you think. You can reach. You to the handl Conspiracy Stuff where we exist on Facebook x and YouTube on Instagram and TikTok or Conspiracy Stuff Show.
Speaker 2: If you want to call us dial one eight STDWYTK that's our voicemail system. You've got three minutes, give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use your name and message on the air. If you got more to say than can fit in that voicemail, why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 1: We are the entities that read every single piece of correspondence we receive.
Speaker 4: Be aware, yet not afraid. Sometimes the void writes back conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know. Is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.