Speaker 1: You know, we're not playing the game of sending people up, sending people down and changing their team chemistry all the time. You know, he doesn't seem to be a big believer in that.
Speaker 2: We've got Ryan Walker from the San Francisco Giants joining us right now, super reliever Ryan. Great to have you on first of all, but can I call you closer? Like, how do you like to get introduced? Obviously you've done a lot of closing for the ball club, but how do you like to get introd.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter to me, honestly, I always personally say reliever. Saying closer sounds kind of arrogant.
Speaker 3: I don't know why. For me, what about super reliever? I feel want to say that. That's fine. I mean, no, I got to say closer.
Speaker 4: You gotta say closer.
Speaker 3: It's not air, I know. I don't know. It's something in me that doesn't want to do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but now they're gonna take this when you go to arbitration and they're gonna say, well, you actually went on this really super esteemed show foul Territory with X player, guess, and you didn't want to associate yourself with being a closer. So we're going to diminish your value. No, you say I'm a closer, you get a shirt that says I'm a closer, don't get a tattoo, because you never know, starters make way more in free agency. So there's that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point. That's a good point.
Speaker 2: How much do you like closing? I mean when you come into the game in the ninth inning, like, how much of a rush is it? How much is it something maybe that you look forward to your entire pitching life.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a position I want to be in. I honestly never thought I would ever be in this position, to be honest with you, just I just I don't know why. I never saw it in my cards. But yeah, it's definitely a dream position for sure.
Speaker 3: Now being in it.
Speaker 1: It can definitely suck at some points more than other jobs in the bullpen, but that's also very rewarding at the same time.
Speaker 4: Wait, why do you say that, Why do you say you never saw your off in this position?
Speaker 1: I don't know, you know, I've never really been like this massive goal guy. I've been more so just tiny goals. And my only goal in the big leagues to be honest, was to keep a job and have a job. I don't care where it is. We've had Douvie as the closer as well, you know what I mean, And obviously I never wished any little season upon them, but you know, so there. It's just never been in my It's never been in my minds. But obviously cards fell the way they did and it worked out for me to be in the position, and I'm very happy to be here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you took advantage of the situation. You absolutely dealt put yourself on the map to be that closer. What is the difference in your heart rate, your feeling, or how hard it is for you to get up for a game when you come in in the eighth, when you come in in a knife, How different is.
Speaker 3: It for you? It's very different.
Speaker 1: I've always described it as my first time closing was like my debut all over again. You're in just such a different atmosphere. The crowd's a lot louder, you're over, You're almost always facing the top of the order or the heart of the order, and especially when you're only up by one, it's like it really really gets your heart pumping. You're up by one, you're facing judge and it's like, all right, that's that's a hunker down here. But that's what makes it fun to use that to your advantage and you get a little extra edge out of it too.
Speaker 5: I want I want to ask a little about some of your teammates here. I play with a guy as well warm of floor as I mean, this guy is just is a guy you don't want to see late in the game because he's absolutely dominant. Talk a little bit about him and his leadership role and what he brings to the team and how he's helping his squad prosper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, Wilmer is great.
Speaker 1: He's he's got a great bat along with a good eye too. He's very dangerous at the plate. As a leader, He's he's a quiet leader. He leads by example and when he speaks up, everyone listens. He's an awesome guy to have around and obviously he's been around the game for a very long time, so a really good guy to learn from for the younger hitters too. But man, yeah, I seen him at the plate so far has been awesome.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It was pretty shocking to me in our a series when they walked yest to get to to get the flow I was. We were all like, all right, I mean, we'll take it too. I guess like we'll take our best hitter currently at the plate with faces loaded, and it obviously worked out, not even by his bat but by his eye. So he's been a great He's been a huge part of the scene.
Speaker 4: When you sit down and bullpen in San Francisco and it gets colder and colder, do you kind of wish you were in another city, Not that the city isn't awesome, but how cold it is. Just randomly certain nights you're like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily, we gotta we gotta it a bench down there, and that that's hot. It gets so hot that you can't even sit on it. So I mean, we're we're pretty we're pretty warm down there, and it really makes up for all of it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't think I would.
Speaker 1: I mean, I like playing at that stadium, even if even if it is cold, Like it's just a fun atmosphere to be in.
Speaker 3: So I've always enjoyed that, all right.
Speaker 4: For everybody who hasn't seen you pitch, obviously they don't watch baseball, but you have a unique delivery. Can anybody else warm up at the same time as you? Because from what I remember of that new bullpen, you can't throw on the right on the right mound? Am I correct? Or have they expanded it for you?
Speaker 1: They haven't expanded it for me, but yeah, I typically say on the left side of the mound. Otherwise there are some places I don't know where, but I will definitely fall off the heads. We actually have a room in between mounds and most places due to where we can both throw, so it's never really been an issue.
Speaker 2: If you're a card collector or you'd like to get into card collecting, may I suggest Arena Club and slab packs, which means that you can rip the packs digitally and of course get the card that you want. It's also the most trusted.
Speaker 3: Name in the game.
Speaker 2: And I would rather rip packs these days on my phone than sit next to you and have you grabbing one of my physical packs if I was grabbing one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you don't need me grabbing your packs because last time you grabbed one it ended up like this card. So let's not have that. And that's why Arena Club is great. They say them to you in these fancy protectors like the Scout Brown card that we have here, and they'll come safe. They're already graded. Or you could do like I do and just leave my cards in the showroom and never actually see them physically. Yeah, but they're safe, protected, and if I want to sell them, I can't.
Speaker 2: Buy sell trade. They offer full transparency, showing every card in the slab pack with the likelihood of pulling each one, so you know exactly what's available before you buy. Get twenty percent off your first slab pack or card purchase by going to arenaclub dot com, slash foul and use code foul.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, a little bit, a little bit of off field. I got some inside information. Are you good at remembering people's names on your team?
Speaker 3: On my team currently? Yeah? Yeah, okay, I think so. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, then why did it take you an entire year to know what your agent's actual name was?
Speaker 3: My agent's name?
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I I thought I just thought he was a different name. Okay, It's not like I forgot it. I've always known of a name. It was just the wrong name.
Speaker 4: Okay, So you got you got bad information early? All right, So my next, his name is His name is Alex, and you thought his name was Dave for about a year. He told me, He told me he thought it would be a funny, funny story. But along with that, yeah, along with that, who is the best athlete in your family?
Speaker 3: In my family?
Speaker 1: Me?
Speaker 3: Your wife?
Speaker 1: Uh sorry, I came literally my immediate family. Oh no, no, no, definitely, my wife is definitely more athletic than me.
Speaker 3: That's not even a question.
Speaker 7: Could you beat her? Could you beat her in volleyball? No shot, how good way we've played. I mean, she's elite. We've played together and it never works out in my favor. We'll play at the end volleyball every once in a while and she'll just make a fool of me. But she's elite.
Speaker 1: I mean, you see her college stats, and she's got these records, and she was she was just such a leader on the court as well.
Speaker 3: I couldn't I couldn't amount to her.
Speaker 2: Ryan, I'm going to jump in here, because you know, there was some we got a lot of like college athletes. We've got minor leaguers, high schoolers that watch and listen to this show, and of course we talk, you know about velocity and Spain and all this stuff, right, that's a big part of the game today. But I do want to get your perspective on how important it is to have deception, how underrated that can be. The two words for me that send out with someone like you deception and variety, right, even if you don't grow oneh three. And I know a lot of kids are being judged by velostity because that's the easiest way to evaluate talent. You can thrive and succeed. And teams are looking for deception. They're looking for a bullpen that has a bunch of guys that do things super differently. So that was my layman term explanation. How do you describe that for a lot of pictures, Yeah, young pictures out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean i'd say it does play a huge role in your delivery. Again, like you said, people don't ever really talk about it. I feel like like it's not like a main stat like you said. But I've known money of pictures who don't throw hard. I mean, I got a buddy with the Diamondbacks in my leagues. It was eighty eight to ninety, but he blows it by people like he's swing ninety nine because his deception is just unreal. So I think having that deception is very important. I think it is hard to I don't know how teachable it is. Sometimes I feel like it could be pretty hard to teach, depending on the delivery. But yeah, if you can figure a way to keep that ball hidden as long as possible, whether it's using your leg or being a little crossfire or whatever, it is, Like, I think it brings a lot more to the table than you would expect, for sure, because now you're perceiving like even if you do if you do ninety one, yeah, like I said to ninety one, but your deception is is really good. Like that's perceived completely different to the hitter.
Speaker 5: So yeah, and that's part of it too. So I mean as a hitter when I played it used to go out. You see a guy that's not throwing, it's hard like, oh man, this is the guy that you know pays the bills. And that guy usually dominated me, of course, And that's part of you know, lack of not knowing. That's part of being humbled. That's part of being a veteran, and you know, seeing more stuff. Talking about veterans, I want to talk a little about justin Ferlander. He's has a nerve problem in his pack going on right now. Have you had good conversations with him about pitching and has he been a pretty good leader so far with the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think he's been a great leader with the team. I personally haven't had a lot of pitching conversations with him, but I know other guys have. He's just a valuable guy to have around the clubhouse to learn from. He's done it longer than anybody, so he's been very valuable to us. I've definitely touched him a few times. The last time I touched him was just an apology for blowing his second his game is for the second time, which I felt pretty bad about that. He's he's a professional. You know, he gets it. We're all trying our best out there and he's let's just see him that he handles it so well. A lot of knowledge should be picked from him.
Speaker 4: What did he What was his response when you apologize to him?
Speaker 3: That's what he said.
Speaker 1: I said, amen, like I'm sorry, like this sucks, like I don't I'm not trying to do that. His response was just like, hey, man, don't even don't worry about it, Like I know, you're trying your best out there like it is what it is like, you know, and that meant a lot to me. I understand. I knew he wasn't gonna just blow me up. He's not that kind of a guy. That I'm hearing that from him just kind of made me more confident for the next time the opportunity arises, and you know, not be so worried about it.
Speaker 3: Doing his day.
Speaker 1: You know, it was pretty it was handled very professionally and said he's a great dude to have around.
Speaker 2: Hey, Brian, last one for me.
Speaker 4: So yeah.
Speaker 2: Berlanders added to the mix here. Domics added to the mix here. You know, I had a lot of the guys from last year who've taken a good step up too. But what about the impact of having Buster Posey really with a strong voice in this organization now? Right, you're able to see the transition here. What's it like to have someone who, first of all, is an absolute legend, right he is a San Francisco Giants legend as a human being. He knows this franchise in and out. What's it been like? I mean, do you have combos with him? Are there things that you know he's talked about that you feel like have made a difference. I know talking to some people around the organization that right around spring training, I want to say he talked to the team like, we are going to play fundamental ball, do things right, and reward the people that do that. Did that resonate?
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. It's brought a lot of relaxation around the organization. In my opinion, having someone with such a massive baseball amount of baseball knowledge and also be able to run the team well is huge. He's very personable, which is nice. He doesn't walk around like he's you know, not approachable or he can't talk to him because he makes the decision.
Speaker 3: So he's just he's there to talk to you if you need to.
Speaker 1: When I was going through my little stint of rough outings, you know, he just meet him and Bob talking about it. You know, the fact that he's there and understands is huge. You know, we're not playing the game of sending people up, sending people down and changing changing the team chemistry all the time. You know, he didn't seem to be a big believer in that, and he really believes in his guys he has right now, which is awesome. It's been a huge change for everybody, honestly, all.
Speaker 4: Right, last one for me here Hayden bird Song had sixteen or seventeen starts I think last year, and then he comes to the bullpen. Is it hard to try to transition even younger pitchers are less experienced pitchers into the bullpen, and like just the lifestyle of people yelling at him because Starter's sitting a dugout that kind of live more of a pampered life. Did you guys get on bird Song for being down there and then all of a sudden, this dude absolutely deals when he's coming out of the pen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it just depends on the guy. I think Birdie handled it really well. Obviously, the warm up Routeaine everything is thrown out the window. You know, you gotta be ready in an instant. But I think the team also did a pretty good job on making sure he was prepared to get the job done. You know, there wasn't a lot of quick like hey, bird you need to be ready and to stand the pitches. They handled it really well. And Bertie's just a guy who doesn't you know, he just wants to pitch and he wants to compete and do well, so wherever that businessing is he, I think he also feeds off the energy of the people trying to make fun of him out here and make fun.
Speaker 3: Of us in the bullpen.
Speaker 1: Like it's more of like a all right, cool, like this is getting me even more prepared for the game, So keep doing it.
Speaker 3: He's going hadling it really well.
Speaker 1: And obviously he was dealing, and that ways back to starting and dealing again.
Speaker 2: So well, Ryan, this was great. I hope you enjoyed it. Really appreciate the time. Great to have you on here for chat. Good luck the rest of the way here. Thanks for joining us
Speaker 3: Dude, thanks for having me