Speaker 1: This is a young team.
Speaker 2: We're on the cuz they're hungry to get better.
Speaker 3: Peers running rice tend barrels this way down the forty one yard line.
Speaker 2: We want to run by Piers.
Speaker 4: These are the type of guys, the type of men that we want in our locker room.
Speaker 1: Ten or top betch christ Jan Harris.
Speaker 2: Game day is every day love the energy.
Speaker 3: Nicked up by Stateley Pultrey.
Speaker 1: Texans out football on the pit.
Speaker 2: And if you want it, you gotta go work.
Speaker 5: No, it's Texans all xcess.
Speaker 6: So let's work, baby.
Speaker 1: Welcome in Thursday night, Texans All Access. Now, usually you hear Mark Vanruy's voice, but Mark has been out, as I've noted all week long.
Speaker 6: He's gonna make it up to me next week by just being there.
Speaker 1: But that's okay. We're having a good time night. John Harris Football on a Syeline reporter, Gonna be joined by Christian Kirksey a little bit later. I've an interview that we did on media Days, catching up with the middle imbacher Christian Kirksey. I wonder what his role is well'st our guest. I don't even know if it's our guest. I texted him today just to make sure that he wanted to come on tonight with me, and that's John McClain, and he said, absolutely, I'm a Thursday institution. I hated say quite like that, but I kind of got the point. Good evening, John McClain, the general, How are you doing.
Speaker 6: My friend?
Speaker 7: I'm doing great. And I did not say institution. I said I'm ready to go every Thursday night. I don't even know why it would have crossed your mind that I wouldn't want to come on just because Mark's not on.
Speaker 1: No general, I was hoping. I just wanted to check in with you, and I'm glad that year you're definitely here. I've got Christian Kirksey coming on later, and I've got a lot of people that have stopped me and asked me about what's Christian role? What's Christian's role this year? Christian Kirksey, because obviously gott to be clear. Christian Harris, what do you think his role is John this year? A does he make the team? Be If he does make the team, what is his role? Do you think he's a starter? Do you think he's he's a complimentary piece on sub package? What do you think Christian Kirksey's role is in twenty twenty three for this team.
Speaker 7: I believe it's only a matter of time. For you've got two Alabama linebackers starting, and since they're gonna play Nickel most of the time, Touto and Harris would be starting a linebacker. And you know, Nick Casario talked to Henry like crazy when he went on with Sean Bender guest and Seth Payne. And for Nick to praise somebody, that's unusual. Anybody walked watched him at Alabama knows he's a tackling machine. He's smart, and he works hard. And those older guys make more money. And uh, you've got three veteran linebackers Lyttleton, Harryman and Kirksey, and is only I'm guessing they're going to keep two. And who who stays better play special teams?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't I can't remember the last time any one of those three play special teams. Maybe Littleton. I think Littleton actually made the Pro Bowl one year on special team, so he might end up being that guy. And of course, Denzel Perramian's coming off an injury. Christian Kirkchi played all last year, so you know, injuries could could solve the issue unfortunately.
Speaker 6: General.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you this quick story for I get the matics question about Henry Toatoa. This was the training camp twenty twenty one, so his training camp twenty twenty one, and so I was off of my corner watching training camp, and I had one of the Texans scouts.
Speaker 6: Here's a scout, and we just happened to be talking.
Speaker 1: I said, you know, I asked where he had been and he said, oh, I was in Tuscaloosa, and oh. We start talking about all the different prospects and we're like, oh, man, thirty one is pretty good. Huh yeah, boy would be fun if you were a Texan. And he is will Anderson. We started talking about the prospects and we got to Henry to Atoa and he said, John, he's been calling the defense from day one. And so the scout or whomever was I was talking to had been there like day two or three. Tootoe was already in charge of the defense on day two. And that was with Christian Harris there at Alabama who had been there for I think two years prior, and Tooto had already taken control. Now he knew the defense from Tennessee. But the fact that he had already come in and was running that defense with all the alphas that they had on it, I thought that was a that was that was an incredible thing at that particular point. But keep an eye on Henry Toatoe. There's no doubt, General put it best. Those two Alabama linebackers could be back together. General, let's look at corner, because I've been thinking about corner.
Speaker 7: On one second, John, excuse me. I watched a lot of Alabama games because I wanted to see Bill O'Brien what he did with the offense. And when I saw how great Briance Young was, I watched him again this year because I thought there was a good chance Texans would be drafting Briance Young. And I remember when they were on defense keep hearing too to Tea Too was a tackle toa Tod chased him out of bounds, and I was thinking, I wonder how he spell his name, and so I looked at it up and I thought, man, I'm sure a'b doesn't come to the Texan shot the announcin spell his name. And I'm wondering now, because it was should have been a great pick. Why was he available in the fifth round. He played for Nick Saban. He starred for Saban, And why did he last until he did? And I'm glad they jumped all over him when they had the opportunity. Why do you think he was available at the fifth.
Speaker 1: I think one of the things, general is just size. I think that's one thing. I mean, you see him, I mean he looks pretty thick. I mean, his lower body's pretty thick. But he I think he only meag measured at two hundred and twenty seven pounds. Now, we've seen linebackers shrink in the NFL basically, I mean that's the way it seems. I mean, we no longer have the Ted Johnson's or the Benardrick McKinney's, or the Bryan Cushings. I mean, we don't have two fifty five anymore. In fact, Pine Seule's brother, Noah Sewell, was up at Oregon in twenty twenty two, twenty twenty one.
Speaker 6: He was two hundred and sixty.
Speaker 1: Pounds and they're like, bro, you you got to lose some weight. He ended up measuring at the combine at two forty one. And so I think, you know, that's about the sweet spot for some linebackers. But I think for to a toy it was just the fact that he ended up at two twenty five to twenty seven. I mean, he's not the biggest guy in the world, and so I think there were some people that probably feared that a little bit. But I'm look, I'm We've all seen players that end up falling for some reason. Look Charles Amene who a few a few years ago when you go the fifth round and he was the big twelve defensive player of the year, came to Houston, showed what he can do. Then over the next couple of years you saw kind of why. All right, I can see why. You know, he doesn't love to play inside, he's not as physical inside.
Speaker 6: So maybe some of those things show up for Henry Toyotoa.
Speaker 1: But as far as what you get from look if the if all you get from him is subpackage and special teams to start as a rookie or even in the first two years, I mean, that's pretty solid. Gettinghim on day three, you know, there's no question about that. But gener when we're talking, I was thinking about the second okay, all.
Speaker 7: On, I got something else. Oh okay. I looked up all of the forty nine ers defensive starters at linebacker and the secondary, their age where they were drafted, in their size, and all the linebackers were twenty for anywhere from two twenty five to two point thirty. Damiko wants them to be able to run, and of course they got to be able to hit. And they all said that he worked really hard in coverage. So I can't wait to see him get into training camp, especially to joint practice. Okay, what do you want to ask me about the secondary?
Speaker 6: Yeah, no doubt and keep and eye.
Speaker 1: Drake Greenlow was the guy that went to seventh round ended up being a stud for the forty nine ers.
Speaker 6: It still is.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of the guy Henry Toatoa can probably emulate. So we'll see that. But I was thinking about secondary. Derek Stingly looked. I thought, really really good OTAs Uh and mini camp the other side.
Speaker 6: I mean, obviously Stephen.
Speaker 1: Nelson played pretty well last year, but they went on and got Shaq Griffin. Do you see that as a true training camp competition, John, with Stephen Nelson and Shaqgriffin or do you think that No, it's Nelson for sure, and Griffin is the guy that might slide inside if they've got to do some things on passing downs. How do you think they play that spot opposite Derek Stingley With Shaqgriffin now in the fold alongside Stephen Nelson.
Speaker 7: I'm glad you brought that up. John. I have a column posted this morning of sports Radio six ten dot com ten Things We Learned, and I said, what was Stephen Nelson and Sheldon Rankins? Thinking Nelson's in the last jer's contract? Sorry about that? You're still there? Yeah, I'm still here and he turned thirty years old ninth season. You don't stay away when you have a new coaching staff, news system. And of course the coaches will never say this because it's voluntary. You don't have to be there. You can just show up for the mandatory mini camp. But I'll guarantee you if it's a tie, the tie is going to go to the guy that was here busting his butt all the time for the new coaches, a new coordinator. I just think it was very foolish in this situation. If you're Laramie Tonsel, you're the best player on the team, you don't have to be there. You slide right in, you start, You're another have another Pro Bowl and all Pro season. But for guys who are thirty are approaching thirty, like Nelson and Rankins, I think you're playing with fire. Now. These science kill Griffin because Nelson wasn't there, and so they had to start him because he wasn't there. But if Nelson comes back the way they're loyal to veterans who've been here. I'm sure he's going to go to camp number one outside opposite Stingley. But if he doesn't play like he did last year, and he played well last year, then Griffin and if he does perform, he'll be starting. I saw a thing last week Pro Football Focus today at the top ten slot corners in the NFL. Last year, tavia Or Thomas was four, and he had more snaps in the slot than any of the other top ten. Now that's because Desmond King had to go outside because Stingley was hurt so much. And so I'm wondering, now, who's gonna be the slot corner if all those guys are healthy. But I'm guessing it's gonna be Nelson with Griffin trying to beat him Outdred Griffin still knew, you know, he's he's learning a lot. They signed him late, but if Nelson plays like he did last year, I expect him to be the starter.
Speaker 1: John, What do you think the role is for Desmond King? Because he's a guy that he's played that inside spot in twenty twenty one, he played the inside spot for like three or four games, then he went outside and played outside pretty much the rest of the season. Last year with some you know injuries, you know, when Steven went down a little bit, but mainly when Sting went down, Desmond slid back out there, and obviously it played a lot of his own and a lot of covered you know, cover two, cover four, but does make some plays when he's out there. Do you think he is solely an inside guy?
Speaker 6: John?
Speaker 1: Do you think he can slide outside in certain situations? How do you look at Desmond King's role, especially with Tap Thomas coming back as.
Speaker 7: Well, with the way coaches love versatility, the fact he can do both as a feather and his cat. He can return too. You know, I would imagine that Tank Dell is gonna be the returner because watching him in the off season program, even though nobody was hitting hitting him, he's got that extra gear and he's just so quick. He makes such quick cuts and he accelerates. He's so explosive. I can't wait to see him in games, can't wait to see him in the joint practices. But I think it's gonna be tough at Corner. They'll keep five, I'm guessing, and Corner has definitely got better depths in safety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no doubt, don't I don't mind the safety grew with Jalen and Jimmy and then MJ and Eric. I mean, you've got some experience combined with some youth back there, but beyond that, you're Baylor, Bear, Grayland Arnold. That could be a guy to look at at safety. I think he's moving back to safety. I don't say full time. I don't know if anybody ever does anything full time when they're not a full starter. I mean, you play basically wherever you think you can play generally. The other night I had on Kenyon green Mark and I did and we talked to Kenyon.
Speaker 6: He's a he's a man. A few words.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to say, and I think that's just natural for him. But how much and I'm not saying he's feeling this, But how much pressure do you think there is for Kenyon to be successful this year? Yes, it's his second year, but given how year one went for him, whether he was banged up or just not playing exceptionally, well, how much pressure do you think there is on Kenyon Green to perform at a relatively high level in just year two.
Speaker 7: Well, he better be feeling the pressure because he's got it on him. You know, when they used the fifteenth pick on him and he flashed a little bit, he missed some time, and then it looked like the more time went on, the war teams figured out he could be bull rushed. And I'm guessing that he's worked like crazy on his upper body. But when you're recovering from knee surgery, you know, so much of your strength comes from your butt and your legs, and when you're recovering from knee surgery, can't work on it. And I know he wants to be back. It would mean a lot to them if he could come back and be close to full speed. I'm going to guess they're going to take it easy on him like they did Steingley and Christian Harris and other guys. But he is under a lot of pressure. Because of where he's from, Houston, A and M first round pick, he has the ability. I think that Shaq Mason, who I'm told is a tremendous guy off the field, and I wrote in this column that I thought two offensive captains could be Robert Woods and Shaq Mason. And I think Mason will help him a lot. But he knows he got embarrassed at times last season. He doesn't want to see Washington again. He won't have to for four years, but he was broad here because he's talented and he's a good run blocker. Jack Mason's a good run blocker. They want to run the ball with Demiko and Bobby Sloweck. That's the first thing they want to do, and that'll sure help CJ. Stroud. So I think Kenyon Green he's too talented not to bounce back, and since most players improve their most between their first and second season, I look for him to be a different player.
Speaker 1: John one of the I can't remember how long ago Mark and I do this, and I just had this thought. I was walking back from practice and I was kind of watching players walk by, and I was like, man, that guy's got to play sixteen games this year. He's got to play a full schedule this year, and it got me thinking about what players the Texans can ill afford to lose. Obviously, minus quarterback, and we hope that CJ could play a whole season.
Speaker 6: We'll talk about him in just a second.
Speaker 1: But outside of quarterback, what two or three players do the Texans absolutely, without question, have to have for sixteen seventeen games, And hopefully if they're playing that many games, they're playing pretty well. But I would say the most indispensable players. Guys you can't do with that. I don't know how you want to phrase it, but essentially two or three players that in your mind, the Texans can ill afford to lose to have a successful season like they lose these guys, not that they're going to go over the over the edge and not have a successful season, but to be even more successful than maybe they think they've got to have these players.
Speaker 6: Who do you think those players are in your.
Speaker 7: Opinion, Jeremy Tonzo because he's the best player on the team and because he is the best pass blocker, one of the best in the league, and he protects the quarterback. Charlie Hagg's coming off with injury, he's been reabvid. Michael Dieter gonna be the guard until unless Kenyon Green comes back. Number two, Damien Piers. Damien Piers. We saw what happened to the running game last year when he missed the last four in parts of another one in the running Game went straight down the toilet, which is one reason Nick Casario signed Devin Singletary. And I look for that split to be about sixty forty with Singletary again most of the obvious passing situations, but with Pierce's style, physical style where he looks for trouble, and I think they can't afford to lose him. Defensively, they got one pass rusher who stands out, Will Anderson Jr. They could not afford to lose him. He's going to be their best defensive player, their best pass rusher. Favored to win NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, because if you don't have pass rushers Derek Stanley, Jalen Petrie, those guys are put in such a predicament if you can't. I showed the quarterback, so I'm going to say, Will Anderson, I think.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. I said therek Stingly the other day. And I know this is a division that is I don't say dominated by the run. But you know Derrick Henry Travis e Tianna John to Taylor that you got to come up and stop the run. I don't think it's any question about that. But I think Stingley offers at full full health. I think he offers something different. I mean, we noticed how much bigger he was, how much thicker he was, But yeah, Will Anderson Junior, He's got to be the truth.
Speaker 6: There's no question about that.
Speaker 1: John. There was a look controversy with Colin Cowherd this week who said that c J. Stroud and he'd been compared to Dak Prescott. I think Noah Brown was asking about that. It wasn't It didn't come out as hey, compare CJ to Dak. It's just Noah took the conversation in that direction. So Colin Cowherd picked up on that, of course reading headlines and started saying, no, c J. Stroud won't be as good essentially as Dak Prescott. And he went into reasons why, and then he used old old well he's no high to state quarterback, which I think is the worst argument you can ever use. Because Ohio State basically didn't have NFL type quarterbacks minus Dwayne Haskins, and that just didn't work out. Point being what you make of what Coward said that CJ. Stroud won't be as good as Dak Prescott. Your thoughts on that when you heard.
Speaker 7: That, That's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, because you don't have a clue how good CJ. Stroud's going to be, and you don't have a clue how good Dak Prescott could get a whole lot better and be great consistently win super Bowls for the Cowboys. You don't know that. That's just kind of got thing. And I don't care give a hoot about what Colin Coward says. I saw the headlines. I paid no attention. I felt bad for Noah Brown since he played five seasons with Prescott and he was trying to be complimentary of Stroud. Now he'll be scared to say anything. By the way, the coaches really like Noah Brown. He can play all over the place, great size, he's not used up start thirteen games last season, and he played the best he's played. He came here for opportunity, But I thought, boy you talk about a stretch trying to make mountain out of a mowheel, that was it.
Speaker 1: That is that's June. That's June. Mini camps are over training camp. Not quite here, that's June radio talk right there. Compare those two. Some producer for his show is like, I got this, run this by Colin. He'll take this and run with it. And of course he's getting blasted because I just look at CJS Stroud and Dak Prescott is two different quarterbacks.
Speaker 6: But you know that's I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's some stylistically style things that are the same, but for the most part, man, I don't I don't quite see it.
Speaker 6: John.
Speaker 1: The NFL is having a really hard time getting a team for hard knocks.
Speaker 6: So I'll ask it as simply as I possibly could.
Speaker 1: It's hard knocks over in the NFL because teams won't cooperate.
Speaker 7: Well, they can make him show some football's grow a pair. Make the Jets do it. It doesn't matter what the Jets want. Bill O'Brien didn't want to did it, do it, and they did it, and they won it came back, they finished I think nine and seven that year, and Detroit did it during the season. I don't know that i'd want to do it during the season because I watched every I've watched, and I'm sorry not they did it their's on and I watched every episode because I want to see j jj and and Hopkins and that it was great. I've always liked Hard Knocks, but you can't let a team like the Jets that hadn't done Jack Squat tell you what to do, and uh, it's not. I listened to Bill Polly and ripping Hard Knocks talking about all those things, what a problem it is, and I'm thinking, Bill so there everybody called him and told them coaches, never do it again. I've heard a bunch of coaches saying they loved it. You know, Jerry Jones is probably volunteered. He's he loves Hard Knocks and the attention that brings. So nobody wants to see New Orleans, Chicago or Washington. They'd said be Jets or bust. And if they're having as much trouble getting a team for camp, what's it going to be like in regular season? They're talking about Washington being the team in regular season, and I wouldn't want to do anything to bring attention to Dan Snyder because of all the controversy. But it's got to be the Jets. I feel bad for HBO because they've done a great job with Hard Knocks, and the teams get to approve anything that's on there, so there's nothing they don't want.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I tell you what.
Speaker 1: That end season Hard Knocks John with Arizona, it was a I think we think again at four and thirteen, I think was the record if my math is correct. It was the most compelling thing on television. I mean it was incredible. I mean obviously seeing Hop and seeing JJ kind of tug at your heartstrings a little bit. But the way they handled JJ's retirement, the way they showed Hop and the different charity events that he had going on for beating into abuse mothers, I mean, it was incredible. And then you know all the behind the scenes stuff, you know, Kyler Murray got hurt, just what they were going through. I mean, it was really the nd season Hard Knocks has been incredible, even.
Speaker 6: The Colts the year before.
Speaker 1: You know, just the disaster at the end, and you're watching this and it's the most compelling, you know, television you could you could possibly think of now when it comes to compelling television for the NFL, A lot of times it's the draft. Well, John, tonight is the NBA Draft, and this question really has nothing to do with I guess the NBA Draft. But other than the fact that the NBA has their draft, I think it's probably what three weeks two, three weeks after the season was over.
Speaker 6: Do you think the NFL would.
Speaker 1: Be better off having a draft that was a lot sooner than late April, given the fact that college season is over on January tenth or eleventh. Would you like to see the NFL draft moved up and have it a lot earlier so that you can maybe get to the off season earlier or whatever. How do you think the NFL would change if they moved the draft up? Maybe a month or so?
Speaker 7: They couldn't make any more stake mistakes than they already do, despite spending millions and millions and millions on scouting. Now there's a lot of people that think no coach should be able to be interviewed to l after the Super Bowl to make it fair for everybody. Well, then they woul no way they'd want to move it up. I like it where it is. When I started covering the NFL. It was eighteen rounds the draft, and it was over three days, and there was no ESPN. You just waited for a phone call from the NFL to tell you what it was and you slap a name under the team next to the round. And then when ESPN came in, it was had took it into a whole nother level. The NFL network made it even better. So I like it the way it is. It's the NFL. The only time the NFL doesn't dominate is in this period right here. But if guys keep getting suspended for gambling and taking carry on bags to the airport with two loaded handguns and bullets, and uh, there's so many compelling things. Aaron Rodgers want legalized psychedelics. There's a lot of good stories going on right now where it's still in the news, and I know this, it's that, Uh boy, I can't wait to find out who the first pick in the NBA draft's gonna be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder, I wonder who's that who that's gonna be, because that's gonna impact the rockets to it for so I'm definitely for that.
Speaker 6: John.
Speaker 1: What you got going on at sports Radio six ' ten dot com. And you are on tomorrow with the guys in the afternoon. Is that correct.
Speaker 7: I'll be on with them tomorrow Every Friday at four o'clock. I've got columns on the astros, columns on what we learned from Texans Mini camp, and I'll have a bunch more next week. John, thank you very much. It's always a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Absolutely general the same here, it is a pleasure. John McClain, the General. Go check his workout at Sorts Radio six y ten and tomorrow will be on with Clint and the Show.
Speaker 6: I still gonna call him the Show.
Speaker 1: I know he's probably gonna be run now because of I bet, but that's okay. We're fine with that. And of course t Mills. So make sure you check John out. And I think it's Wednesday eight am. It looks I'm a p one, so it's Wednesday eight am. I think it's Tuesday at eleven. I believe on in the loop. So make sure you check out John each and all of those times right there on Sports Radio six ' ten. I mentioned earlier. Christian Kirksey is gonna join us next. The inside linebacker for the Texans, gives us his thoughts on what he sees in this defense, what he sees in the linebacker room. We'll have Christian Kirksey for you next right here on Texans All Access.
Speaker 5: Chickson's radio continues. In a moment, Chickson's Radio is back.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is John Harrison Cappert's seat, Footballano sideline reporter for your Houston Texans getting ready. A little over a month from training camp, NBA Draft tonight, Rockets sitting at number four. Got a feel. We know who's going number one, as John said, Victor Wembayana is.
Speaker 6: Going number one.
Speaker 1: After that, it gets really interesting too, and watching the rumors kind of all day, and I know people like, wait, it's you're an NFL guy, John, No, no, no, no, listen. I'm a sports I'm a sports guy and I love every draft imaginable, doesn't matter. I watch the NHL Draft. I'll watch any draft they put out. I always, I always love a draft that. I've always been a big fan of the NBA draft. It's just gotten to a point where I don't really follow overtime elite all that much, so I don't really know who everybody is. I know Victor because everybody was talking about him after that. I watched Brandon Miller a lot, but I like Scoot Henderson. Would be kind of interesting to see which way the Rockets go. Does Brandon Miller get the four toes, Scoot Henderson get the four I'm and Thompson you see the guy for I've heard a lot of talk about him. I heard Seanna sat talking about that today. So NBA Draft coming up, looking forward to it, and I know Chris tell me, if I'm correct, Adams splaying and Brandon Scott are gonna be following me with a draft show that they'll have you covered.
Speaker 6: So keep it locked right here. I know I am.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be listening to those guys as I take off on the way home.
Speaker 6: So it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 1: Those two guys the the Rockets inside out to take a listen to the podcast. Man, those guys are true Bawler's abs playing and Brandon Scott also true baller. Guy's been around the league for a long time. It's Christian Kirksey. What's his role this year? What is he gonna be? Is he gonna start? Is he gonna be a key backup? Is he gonna be veteran leadership? Uh? Is he gonna make the team with a linebackers on our team, Christian Kirksey. Interesting spot and then he's been in the last couple of years where he was the guy, he was the green dot, he was the leader on defense. Has that changed, does need a change? Should it change? We'll find out in due time, but it's always good to catch up with Christian Kirksey talk about the changes in this defense, what he sees from the young linebackers in his room. Pretty good time talking with Christian Kirksey.
Speaker 6: Mark me, Christian, and let's go.
Speaker 3: Christian Kirksey joining us in studio. Great to have you back, Yes, great to be been a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it has, it has. Life goes fast, it.
Speaker 3: Does, all right, So here you are and your elder States been insidelnebacker demico' Ryans comes in. What's that relationship like so far with you and the head coach who played the position.
Speaker 2: So I think we got an awesome relationship.
Speaker 4: It's funny because I'm like in a student in the student role right in my mindset when when he's talking, because he's been somewhere where I want to go, and that's you know, being in the league, being dominated in the league. And when you have somebody that you know has done it at a high level, your all ears And that's what I've that's what I've been. It's almost like I'm a rookie again when I'm listening to him, because I really take value into what he's saying. So for me, I think this would be great for my career to be able to have a coach who played my position and to tell me what I may need to get better at what I'm doing wrong. And I just take everything that he say and I try to apply it to my game.
Speaker 1: Christian, how different is this defense from anything you've you've been in before. I mean you've been around the league, so I know you've and and look, there's only so many different ways you can dress something up. You know, if you're gonna play cover three, it's cover three.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just a matter of how things are called, maybe some different focal points that you have to look at and things like that. But thus far, how have you seen it different from things you've done in the past, And how has your adjustment been to it? Ah?
Speaker 2: Man, Shoot, I haven't played it in a lot of defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say for for for me coming into into this defense and and and what I'm learning in myself is to play a little more patient. I know a lot of people think like defense got to be fast, got to be a step faster than offense. Uh, you know, you gotta you know, just be just super fast and physical and all that, which you do have to be physical. But at the same time, and this defense is like patience, like let it, let it, let it unfold, and then you attack. And uh, that's something that I think that when you know, when you turn in the film and when you watch the Demko's defenses, everybody is precise in where they're going. You know, sometimes you get caught in the defense where guys are just running and not really know where they're running to. In this defense, you got to sit and watch and then you attack. And I think that that's the difference from for me, for from being around a lot of defenses, that it is more patients, especially from a backer. You know, Uh, you see run, you may want to just run to a spot, but now it's like see see the run, but watch it develop and then go.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He talked about the four guys up front wreaking havoc and linebackers kind of cleaning up the mess.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So you have to read that.
Speaker 1: And that's the patients part of it.
Speaker 4: That's the that's the patients part of it from like you know, the big boys up front, they're they're they're taught to go.
Speaker 2: So they're gonna, like you said.
Speaker 4: Create hav it, do, do what they gotta do, you know, press the line back, you know, and for us, we're sitting back there watching it all go down and then once unclear, now we attack. So that's that's the thing that I'm talking about with that patient, letting the unfold, and then that's when your athletes can shine, when you know, all right, this is where I'm going, this is where the ball is.
Speaker 2: Let me go Christian.
Speaker 1: Since you've got in the league, the league obviously has leaned more towards the passing game. I mean, we've seen guys throw for a four thousand, some over five thousand, and I think it was in twenty twenty one there were seven guys in the league that ran for a thousand yards. Maybe it's eight something like that. It was a small number. Last year, seventeen guys ran for over a thousand yards. Do you see the league kind of going back to a I don't think it would be run focused. But do you see more teams put a focus on the run, And how does that change things for you and kind of how.
Speaker 2: You view the game.
Speaker 4: No matter how much the game changes, you have to have a good running game. I mean that, I truly believe that that's where the game is one when you can when you're good, extremely good in the run.
Speaker 2: I mean it's just hard for a defense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you know, it's it's easy to it's easier to move the ball just handing it off and letting the guy run the post. From throwing the ball, it's a lot of chances, you know some back it happened interception or you know the deflected ball, you know, laying in the wrong hands. But when you when you're good running the ball and you're running behind your pass and you got a strong offensive line that's physical, you got to do that for four quarters. And for a defense, you know, some guys start turning down hits in the fourth quarter because they're like, man, my body is going through it. They just pounding and pounding. So I really think that that's the ingredient to like a great football team where you can run the ball.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's just going to go back. You know, twenty years ago it was you know, not everybody bring it back full back, you know, full back, you know, running ice ods, And I don't think the league is going to go back that far. But I think when you when you establish a run, that is key because then it opens up the pass game. Now you can have your dynamic receivers and great quarterbacks. When you got a team that you know is keeping defenses balanced and keeping them honest, now you you can do whatever you want to do and now you're in control. So I think that you know, it's a passing league, but when you have those teams with great running backs and a great running scheme, that's dangerous.
Speaker 3: Christian Kirksey with us, all right, we asked you about the defense. What are he's seeing in this offense? This is a new system. You're facing it in practice all the time. What can you tell us about it.
Speaker 4: I'm impressed. I'm impressed from what I've seen with this offense. You know, we have some great receivers that came in, great young receivers, and you know, when Robert Woods got here, I thought that that was one of the most underrated, you know, things that we did in this off season.
Speaker 3: So tell me about him specifically, because a lot of listeners are thinking about that and they're hearing a lot of good things about him so far in practice, and they're not able to watch it.
Speaker 4: So I've been watching Robert, you know, just being in the league, and he does the dirty work that a lot of receivers don't want to do. And that's that's being aggressive as being in a blocking game as well. So like I know, a lot of young receivers may not look at that and may not understand that you're not going to get the ball every play. You have to continue to run your routes even though the ball may not even come to you, but you still got to run it as if the ball is coming to you. And then on the rundowns you have to block. And every receiver don't want to do that. And when you look at Robert, like, that's something that I respect out of his game, and I think when you put him in that leadership role in that room, a lot of guys is going to take after that and be like, in order to be a great receiver, I have to also do things that I may not want to do and that's block and that's you know, be physical.
Speaker 2: And I feel like.
Speaker 4: That's what Robert brings to this receiver group. And you know, he's been doing well for us and he's been leading and so the short amount of time that he's been on his team, just in this OTAs you can just tell that he's apologis Vet.
Speaker 2: He's going to be that leader in that room.
Speaker 1: Christian, you've been around. We talked to Denzel about this as well. You've been around, You've seen some things. How important is it to you to share those things and those lessons with the long young guys because you got a lot of young linebackers and linebacker corps and I know there's a linebackers coach, coach Kiffin. I know that Miko has played the position. But I think for players a lot of times, to hear it from you and hear it from Denzel, to hear from Vets, it means more. How much does it mean to you kind of share what you've learned with those guys, especially when they want to soak it up and you can share your experiences playing a position with them.
Speaker 2: Man, it means a lot.
Speaker 4: When you first entered the league, you have so many questions, you have so much to learn, and it just takes me back from when, you know, in twenty fourteen, when I first got in the league and I had some great vets Carlos Dansby, Craig Robertson, Zach Diws, Tank Carter, those guys who.
Speaker 2: Gave me all the knowledge I possibly can get.
Speaker 4: When you know I have so many questions, I want to give that right back to the younger guys now that I'm a older guy in the room, and I also want to, you know, lead in the way of this is the NFL. The game is always changing, so you're always learning, and the best leaders gives the best questions or asks the best questions.
Speaker 2: So for me being in that leadership role, I'm asking the.
Speaker 4: Questions that they may want to ask for not asking, just to understand that, Hey, look, I'm ten years in and I'm still learning and asking questions and you know, being a tentative and you know, still being a student of the game, and you know, respecting my coaches even though you know, I've been in this league for a long time, but it's still the player coach relationship. I'm trying to teach guys how to walk in that manner and how to you know, take their career and be professional and you do things the right way, then you can find yourself playing in the league a long time. So you know, I'm excited to be in this position where you know, guys that look to me for for for answers, and I may not have them all, but it goes to show that I'm still learning. So you know, I'm excited to be in this position. And we got a lot of great young guys. To be honest, guys, guys are playing fast, and you know, I'm excited to see this room.
Speaker 2: Thanks so, Christian, thanks a lot for being with us. Appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Thank you bank, Christian Kirksey.
Speaker 1: There is good catching up with Texans linebacker now going into the third year. Man, I said this to uh, gosh, you talked to you, Oh, John Garnard is talking to John Garnnard, I said, who are the only players that have been here longer than you? Continuously? Because Jacob Martin is back and he started he started hearing twenty one team but continuously, and it was Titus, it was Laramie, and then there was John Garnard who was drafted twenty twenty, which doesn't seem that long ago, and then twenty twenty one, Christian Kerksey in his third year Christian Kerksey Desimond King in twenty twenty one. But just shows you this team is I don't say young, it is young, but they've been together often, that's for sure. They don't have I always look at how the team was built. I've always looked at those and teams are either interesting and how they're put together.
Speaker 6: But the best teams have been around, Like at the forty nine ers. Those guys been there. You'll see some guys, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Kittle was drafted in what seventeen, sixteen, seventeen, something like that. Deebo got there in twenty twenty, I think it was. So you know, guys have been around a little bit. So hopefully the Texans will get there. These draft classes they put together will be here for a little bit and we'll see what this brings for Christian Kirksey in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 6: All right, let's go around the NFL.
Speaker 1: A Miami Dolphin is maybe in trouble again again.
Speaker 6: Good grief. Is Tyreek Hill ever going to learn?
Speaker 1: Well, we'll talk about that next as we go around the NFL right here in Texans All Access.
Speaker 5: Stay tuned for more on the Houston Texans and the NFL on Texans All Excess. Back to the show, they teach you plugged in with the Houston Texans.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, welcome back. Appreciate you being here with me.
Speaker 6: John Harris, Football analyst, sideline reporter.
Speaker 1: A quick reminder tonight following our show, we'll get off the air here in about five minutes and then we'll turn it over to Adams Blaine and Brandon Scott discussion discussing the NBA Draft. You know, for some reason, I did sixteen hours NFL Draft, but I don't get asked back for the NBA Draft, you know whatever I mean, I mean, I get it, I guess. But you know, if the guys wanted me to stop in, I can make funny comments about suits and everything. By the way, if you haven't seen Grady Dick's suit that he's wearing tonight, it is a red sequined I I'm just I'm blown away. I'm blown away. The Kansas Guard you gotta you gotta see this.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's it's hard to even explain.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's not quite a keem Elaijawan with the Tucks and the red boat tie.
Speaker 6: But you know, take a look at it.
Speaker 1: But definitely listen to Adams Blaine brand Scott on the NBA draft. All right's go on the NFL and start with this story, and it's Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 6: So typically was Tyreek Hill. It's like, all right, what did he do?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 1: Well, apparently over the week he was at a he was on a boat. I'm on a boat, and he hit a charter boat employee. So apparently the conflict began when Hill's group allegedly boarded boat at the marina without permission, and it ended with Hill slapping employee in the back of the head. Employees reportedly told police Hill responded to their pushback by saying, I can buy you and the boat. I'm number ten with the Miami Dolphins. Tyreek Hill has had issues dating all the way back to his days of Oklahoma State, and typically they involved him hitting someone and here you go. Now, apparently charges were not brought against him, but the Marinea employee is pressing charges against Tyreek Hill. So obviously there's two sides to every story. We'll see what happens with this. But yeah, I just a guy with that sort of history. It's just me, but a guy with that sort of history.
Speaker 6: I think I would be.
Speaker 1: Going out of my way to stay out of the news for those particular things, like, Hey, Tyreek, don't hit anybody when you have your hemmel on and you're on the field, have at it. Be as violent as you want. It's football, within the rules. Obviously outside the game. Don't be a jackass, please. But that's obviously not the case. So we'll see what happens with Tyreek Hill, and we'll see if the NFL gets involved in the suspension of any kind. So we'll see what's going on the Dolphins, speaking of and the Jets possible destinations for Dalvin Cook. And I will say this and kudos to Texans fans, Dalvin Cook is one of the best running backs in the league. I have not received one Twitter message. I have not received I have not seen one iota about Dalvin Cook joining the Texans because Damian Peerson Devin secretary. But the last three years I would have seen Dalvin Cook like THETA they gotta go get Dalvin Cook, the good guy. Uh, thank god, I haven't seen one of those notes. Dolphins Jets, Dalvin Cook taking his time, also taking his time, DeAndre Hopkins. He is pondering the offers that have come, apparently from the Patriots and the Titans. This look he's any rush to get to either training camp.
Speaker 6: But Tennessee.
Speaker 1: I know he's made an offer. I don't know about New England, but he is obviously weighing those. I guess I'd go New England. I'd rather see him there than at Tennessee. But those two will keep an eye on.
Speaker 6: Throughout the summer.
Speaker 1: Dalvin Cook and of course former Texan and good friend of mine DeAndre Hopkins. All Right, that's gonna do it. A big thanks to the General for joining me this evening. Christian Kirksey obviously with me and Mark vandermer So. I appreciate him and my man Chris Santiago back in studio.
Speaker 6: He's an absolute badass.
Speaker 1: He keeps me on the air, make sure I don't say anything wrong, make sure I'm on time. He's the best, and you hear him during the day. Sometimes you hear him. You may not hear him during the show a lot of times, but he's the backbone of what we do. So appreciate Chris. Keep it right here. Spoe B Scott, NBA Draft coming up. Appreciate you guys. We'll see him on as always. Go Texans.
Speaker 5: This is Texans Radio on Sports Radio six ' ten