Speaker 1: Smell off now, lady, Welcome to Meat Eater Trivia mea podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Radio Live. It's eleven am Mountain Time on October third, and we're live from Meet Eater HQ and Bozeman, Montana. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, joined today by Ryan Callahan and birthday boy Randall Williams. Happy birthday, rand Thank you, thank you. Is it impolite to ask how old you are?
Speaker 3: Not at all? I'm thirty eight years old today, thirty eight Now it is a button. Don't look at day over sixty three?
Speaker 2: What well? You got big plans for your birthday today? Besides Media Radio Live.
Speaker 3: Going out to dinner. And I was surprised this morning with a very special gift from my wife, Sydney. It's an annual pass to the Grizzly Encounter. Yeah, so on my way back and forth to work, I can stop in and visit with the.
Speaker 2: Is that not kind of a sad place? No, it's a happy place.
Speaker 3: I think it's a happy place. You get real close to bears and they get to eat a lot of stuff in front of you. That's a good all sorts of tasty fruits. Yeah, you plant.
Speaker 1: You're doing anything to embrace creeping into real middle age? Randall, No, you know.
Speaker 3: I I think it'll come as a surprise. At often we receive lots of emails here expressing shock that I am not an old man. So I feel like I'm Perhaps I was unaware of this, but perhaps I'm only growing into the personality that I project.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean you're seven years out from a recommended colonoscopy. That's something to think about.
Speaker 2: He has thought about it. Yeah, yeah, you got plans for a birthday lunch today. I don't Can we take you out as that?
Speaker 3: I'd love that.
Speaker 2: Okay, you think about where we're going. You figure that out By the end of the show.
Speaker 3: Fantastic gang.
Speaker 2: It's eleven oh two mountain time, so we're gonna be hungry after this.
Speaker 3: I'm starve.
Speaker 2: Now. On today's show, we'll interview doctor Bronson Strickland from Mississippi State University about the science of whitetail buckbeds. Then we'll review the two thousand and one comedy Escanaba Into Moonlight for Meat Eater Movie Club, followed by one minute fishing with Giannis Putellis in Louisiana. Then Corinn will educate us about whitetail monogamy or the lack thereof. And finally we'll interview Ryan Berman about a black bear attack that ended when his twelve year old shot the bear. But first, it's Whitetail Week and our best white tail content and sales are happening right now over at the meadeater dot com in first Light dot com, and in honor of white Tail Week, we wanted to give away our favorite piece of gear from the First Light Whitetail line, which is the Core Jacket. The Core jacket is perfect to wear from mid season to late season. It's quiet, win proof, and lightweight, perfect for deer hunters across North America. So here's how we're going to give this thing away. We are doing a caption contest for the live viewers and the live viewers only. Phil is going to pull up a photo right now and people are going to write their funniest captions in the chat. Then at the end of the show, Phil will pick the best ones to read and from that group, we'll select our favorite to receive that free First Light Core Jacket. There is the picture that Phil has now put up on the screen. Cal you are in that photo. Tell us what's going on there?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 1: I was just so young, naive, so young, twenty eighteen, whole world ahead of me.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, Fancer, was this your hiring ritual?
Speaker 1: Ah? This is uh sika deer out there in the eastern shore of Maryland. So super super awesome public land hunting. Actually we were on Nate your conservancy chunk out there, but super tasty deer, crazy tender something about running through the marshes, very very awesome. And Steve as he does, he's like, I've just always wanted to hit somebody with a chunk of meat. It's like, because you know, just think of the sound or something along those lines.
Speaker 2: Okay, that would be satisfying.
Speaker 3: So this wasn't posed then, this was in fact still from an action sequence.
Speaker 1: Right, and in typical Steve fashion, right, he does this stuff while everyone else is actually doing the work, and he's like, but hold on, I want everybody to stop doing the work that I'm not participating in to run through this fantastical little mind voyage.
Speaker 2: He has, like going strike cow with the hind quarter.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and you can see my hands are still a little bloody. Still got things to do.
Speaker 2: Was this a hind quarter or a front quarter here that looks like a shold, but they're just unbelievably tiny little creatures.
Speaker 1: They're really like I took out a hind a dough female by literally putting a hoof in between my fingers, so like a little.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So the caption contest photo is from like twenty eighteen. It is Steve striking cal across the face with the front quarter of a skinned Sika deer. So write in your best captions. At the end of the show, Phil is going to read some of them, and then our favorite one is going to get that first light core jacket.
Speaker 5: You guys are Yeah, we need to put the right guys in the chest. I'm best here, but you guys are doing incredible so far. Some of them are not safe for work. You can keep saying those ones in. I'm not going to pick them.
Speaker 1: But and we're at work, we need to point out the lack of defensive posture on my side too.
Speaker 3: I think happy, you look you resigned to you.
Speaker 1: You get the first one.
Speaker 2: So take join us for the caption contest. This is a little treat just for the live viewers now, in honor of white Tail Week, State Farm just released their annual deer collision research, so I thought we should talk about it. West Virginia is yet again the risky estate for deer vehicle collisions. Drivers there have a one in forty chance of hitting a white tail with their car. The most deer vehicle collisions happen October to December, and on average, Americans have a one in one hundred and twenty eight chance of hitting a deer this year. Have you boys ever hit a hit a deer or an elk or anything with your car?
Speaker 3: I yeah, I was. I'd been hunting down on the Madison this is probably ten or twelve years ago, and shot a little four ky on an extremely cold day, and I put it in the back of my hont A Pilot and I was driving on I ninety past Whitehall and a real stud of a buck stepped out, So you floored it? Well, I did my best to avoid it and kind of clipped the front quarter panel, knocked off my side mirror, and then rolled down the side of the vehicle, knocking out all the glass all the way down. I spent a lot of time looking for that deer. Never found it.
Speaker 2: Really yep, yep, how stud of a buck.
Speaker 3: You think he was, I mean not. You know, for me, it would have been the biggest deer I'd ever killed. Well, it probably still is the biggest tear I've ever killed. But didn't recover it, and it.
Speaker 2: Certainly dead though. You think he wandered off and died somewhere.
Speaker 3: I was going really fast, okay, and I didn't have time to apply the brakes. Yeah, but it came right out of the median, just looking for a dough.
Speaker 1: Yea smashed smashed it. So yeah, three deer, three different vehicles, nineteen eighty three Chevy celebrity. And I didn't hit this deer. He hit me. But right next to Randall's old house van Buren Street exit missoula mule deer came smoking it out of nowhere. There used to be no fences between the neighborhoods and the interstate there. And yeah, he'd like t boned perfectly dead center, t boned my little brown Grandma car. And then uh yeah, smashed the front right panel on my two thousand and what it was it ninety three Toyota Tacoma. And then in my Chevy, I whacked a dough in Idaho coming across the desert mule deer dough felt real bad.
Speaker 2: I've now hit two deer with pickups in both times. One time he was on my way to go hunting in the morning, the other time he was on my way home from hunting in the evening.
Speaker 3: So there's something very poetic prime rut that there's science there.
Speaker 2: Moving on, Joining us on the line first is doctor Bronson Strickland from Mississippi State University. This winter, his team wrapped up a study on whitetail buckbeds that busted a lot of myths about whitetail behavior. Doctor Strickland. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Hello, glad to be here.
Speaker 6: Thanks so much for the opportunity.
Speaker 2: First off, tell us how the study was conducted and what you were hoping to learn.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, it really began the overarching question from our state wildlife agency, the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks, was getting feedback from hunters wanting to know where the bucks are going during hunting season. And so we've seen a buck all summer, we've got photos of a buck, and then where does it go? And so that led us to work with the state agency and attach a bunch of GPS callers to about sixty different bucks over two years, and that's where it began. The overall purpose of the study too, was to look at what is the impact of hunting pressure throughout the year, and how are buck's going to change their behavior and might we find any solutions there? So that was really the big picture question that we began with, and then that moved into a lot of other questions and and one of those was regarding buck betting.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, what do we learn about buck beds from that study?
Speaker 6: Well, I am going to share some information with you now to answer that question.
Speaker 5: Let's see, Doctor Strickland's got some slides he's going to present for us right now. He's just going to pull those up really quick.
Speaker 6: There we go, all right, okay, So first of all, we wanted to how do we define what a betting site is. So remember, we've got all of these bucks have a GPS collar on them, and we're getting a location from them every fifteen minutes, and so this data set is so large. Keep in mind this you can't really do this by hand. You have to do it with computer code. And so we went in to the data set and every time we had four or more consecutive points that did not have more than a twenty yard radius with their span. And so remember even with the GPS caller, the points are not exactly precise. There's some error in those locations, but we define that as twenty yards. So every time we got four consecutive points or an hour's worth of points less than twenty yards, we concluded that that was a bedsite. And of course we excluded if deer were out in a food plot at night or an agricultural field at night, we excluded those. So we kept this in our forested cover. Next, we wanted to look at not just the bed site, but a general area that they may be. So this would be one or more betting sites that are distinctly different, and so you could have several betting sites within one hundred yard radius that would be a betting area. And then we calculated all of the betting sites and all of the betting areas throughout two different hunting seasons. And then we wanted to get some insight on what are the impacts for strategies for hunting. What we found out is that contrary to a lot of beliefs, is that there is a tremendous amount of diversity in the number of beds that they're using throughout the hunting season. Now, if we just look at this on a daily scale, hunting season for US is October first to January thirty first. On the average, a buck is gonna bed four times a day. Some of those are going to be during daylight hours. Two of those bets are going to be at night. But then when we get close to the hunting season, and if we break the rut out into two week intervals fourteen day intervals, and we go from the pre rut two week interval to the early rut, the peak of the rut, late rut, and post rut, we see that these betting sites number around fifty fifty different betting sites per buck during this two week period. So it is a very very different from what we've always thought that the buck is just going to use one or two three places on the landscape, which, of course, from a hunting perspective is great. If we if they only have a couple places on the landscape they're betting, that gives us the advantage on setting up on them in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: So the takeaway then would be that hunters you know, should think of betting areas as a diverse group of sites instead of just one little bedroom where a buck beds. But what does this mean for land managers as well? If somebody has a piece of property and they're thinking about how they can make this more whitetail friendly. Did your study tell you anything about that?
Speaker 6: Well, well it did, and the take home message for that, I would say would be proactive, meaning that if you're in a landscape like we're at where there is a lot of cover distributed all over the landscape. The landscape we're out here is about fifty percent agriculture fifty percent forested. So if there is a way that you can go in as a hundred manager and proactively manage the habitat to have a better betting area for deer, we can potentially drive them to those areas. And so again being proactive about habitat management so where we can steer deer to bed more often than that could put the advantage in for the hunter and for the land manager.
Speaker 2: That was the betting behavior pretty consistent across the test group, or where there's some extreme outliers.
Speaker 6: There were some extreme outliers. Let me show you here what we call fidelity during the hunting season. So this is just a different way of looking at the same data. If we look at a betting area and how often they were visited throughout the year, fifty percent of betting areas were visited one time, one and done. The other end of the continuum is that we have very rarely some sites and it's less than three percent of them are visited more than two hundred times throughout the hunting season. So it's not something you can rely on. You're going to have to use trail camera data observations like that to try to figure out what are these very very few places where bucks are going to visit more often. If you want to see real world how this looks, check out this video that's over a two week period. This is a three year old buy. This is the two weeks prior to the peak of the rut. The area that you're looking there is roughly a square mile about six hundred acres, and so when you look at that, try to imagine how am I going to determine where he's betted and how am I going to set up on him? And in my opinion, in this landscape for this particular deer. That's virtually impossible. And so when we look at that data again, those blue dots there are all the betting sites over that two week period. All the red dots there are the betting areas, and you can see that that is spread out over a six hundred acre area over two weeks. So it's going to be very, very difficult to zero in exactly where he's at.
Speaker 2: If you're watching this on YouTube, you'll get to see some real data on how these bucks use this landscape. Last question here, you were doing this study in a place that was fifty percent timber fifty percent egg. How do you think this would apply to hunters if you're in the New England area and you hunt a place it's ninety five percent timber, or if you're in Iowa and you hunt a place that's that's ten percent timber. How do you think this study applies to those hunters.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think we're right in the middle. I think if you were in the New England area, you're going to see even more different betting areas and betting sites. And of course if you're in a cover restricted environment like Iowa or the Midwest, you would see greater fidelity to some of these sites because there's not as many options on the landscape. So I think you just have to look at what is available, do your homework with trail cameras, and try to sort this stuff out. But again, you know the one thing you can do about being proactive is go out and manage the landscape to optimize cover where it's at, and that will give you a leg.
Speaker 3: Up on hunting.
Speaker 2: Doctor Strickland talked about this subject more in depth, as well as some other research that whitetail hunters will care about with Mark Kenyon on episode eight two three of Wired to Hunt. Every deer hunter should go. Give that a listen, Doctor Strickland, thanks for joining us and come back next time. You guys got some new white tail research that you're excited about.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: The only thing I could think about there is a name like Bronson Strickland. Yeah, like he probably in the peer review process. He just reviews his own paper, right. Yeah, It's like nobody argues with Bronson Strickland.
Speaker 2: That's a Mississippi State university.
Speaker 1: His fas got together and they were like, listen, there's cute names. Yep, they're strong names. We're going strong. Yeah, setting this kid up for success.
Speaker 2: We're going dear biologists. Name in the South's in Strickland.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Our next segment data It's gospel.
Speaker 1: The last thing I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: Our next segment is meat Eater Movie Club. This week we're reviewing the two thousand and one comedy Escanaba Into Moonlight.
Speaker 3: Escanaba Into Moonlight, written directed by, and starring Jeff Daniels, is a quirky nineteen ninety Oh, excuse me, it's not nineteen ninety one. It's two thousand, thousand one comedy that delves into the peculiar world of deer hunting culture in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The film follows Ruben Sodi, a forty three year old man desperate to break his family's curse of being the oldest Sodi never to bag a buck. At its core, Escanaba is a tale about a man's struggle to find his place within family and community. Ruben's desperation to shoot a deer speaks to a large anxiety about living up to societal expectations and maintaining relevance in a world where traditional markers of manhood are increasingly questioned. The film, setting in the remote wilderness of the Upper Peninsula, serves as both a character in itself and a metaph for the character's isolation from mainstream society. This backtop amplifies the sense of a world onto itself where ancient rituals and modern anxieties collide in often absurd ways. Now, if you'll indulge me for a moment, it is my birthday. I'm going to humor myself. Take us out into left field here. Clifford Gearts's nineteen seventy three book The Interpretation of Cultures includes an essay widely regarded as his seminal work, Deep Play, Notes on the Balinese Cockfight. In this piece, Geartz, who for second world decades stood as the single most influential cultural anthropologist in the United States, provides a vivid description of his year long nineteen fifty eight stay in an Indonesian village the practices of cockfighting and gambling. On cockfighting, then illegal in Indonesia, Geetz identifies as a ritual that best explains Balanese society. Here, I'll read an excerpt from Gears with a few changes of my own to anchor his analysis within the framework of Escanaba in de moonlight.
Speaker 2: Oh what a tree.
Speaker 3: What sets deer hunting apart from the ordinary course of life, lifts it from the realm of everyday practical affairs and surrounds it with an aura of enlarged importance. Is not as a functional as society would have it, that it reinforces status, but that it provides a metasocial commentary upon the whole matter of assorting human beings into fixed hierarchical ranks, and then organizing the major part of collective existence around that assortment. What the deer hunt says, it says in a vocabulary of sentiment, the thrill of risk, the despair of loss, the pleasure of triumph. Yet what it says is not merely that risk is exciting, lost depressing, or triumph gratifying. But it is of these emotions thus exampled, that society is built and individuals are put together. If we go to see Macbeth to learn what a man feels like after he has gained a kingdom and lost his soul, upers go to deer camp to find out what a man, usually composed aloof and almost obsessively self absorbed, feels like when he has totally triumphed or been brought totally low. Every people. The proverb has it loves its own form of violence. The deer hunt is the uper's reflection on theirs, on its look, its uses, its force, its fascination. Drawing on almost every level of yuper experience, alcohol consumption, ucher, spam based cuisine, and most importantly, big old bucks, the deer camp binds them into a set of rules which at once contains them and allows them to play, and builds a symbolic structure in which, over and over again, the reality of their inner yuper affiliation can be intelligibly felt. Now, to put a finer point on this, the parallels between the Balinese cockfight and deer camp traditions highlight how both activities serve as windows into their respective cultures. They show how seemingly irrational or exaggerated behaviors can have profound meaning within their cultural context. Like the Balanese cockfight, the deer camp's hierarchies and traditions mirror the larger social order of the community. Like the cockfight, the stakes are so high in this pastime that participation in it seems irrational to outsiders. At the same time, Like the Balinese cockfight, the deer camp takes place in a liminal space, on the margins of community, where day to day norms are suspended and new identities can be forged, reinforced, or destroyed. The bucklass uper At deer Camp, new social standings are both contested and affirmed. The potential loss for Reuben continued shame and ostracism far out weigh any practical gain, yet his participation remains essential for his own identity and social standing. Thus, the Sody family deer hunt is not just about killing an animal, but it in fact is a rich tapestry of meanings, masculinity, family legacies, connections to nature, and cultural identity. It has its own languages, rituals, and mythologies. In conclusion, viewing Escanaba and to Moonlight through a Girzian lens reveals it to be more than a ninety minute film with a ten minute long scene involving an elaborate effort to get a sleeping man to fart directly on the face of another. It becomes a rich text for understanding how ritual and cultural practice embody and reinforce social structures, identity in world worldviews. In a specific cultural context. The film presents a humorous yet poignant commentary on the human need for belonging and achievement and the universal desire to prove one's worth and find meaning and seemingly arbitrary pursuits. So wow, that's my take.
Speaker 2: That was very academic for a movie where there's a scene where a fart blows the windows off a cabin.
Speaker 3: For a long time, my trivia team went by the name Balinese Cockfight.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think it's just amazing to, you know, bring this into real world context, that all of that can get boiled down to the outsider with the question of so did you get a deer?
Speaker 3: Oh? I think there's much more to it than that. And for my factoid before I ask you for your impressions, Yep, Jeff Daniels is a Michigan He's from Chelsea, Michigan, and he wrote this play be performed at the theater in Chelsea that he built. Chelsea, Michigan is home of Jiffy Mix, the cornbread mixture which we all love. And among the various interesting facts I found about the creation of this film, Ted Nugent Supply, a fellow Michian Michigan supplied props to be used in the hunting camp. So there's a real authenticity there that's good. So thoughts on the film.
Speaker 2: I think my takeaway is that like, if you white tail hunt in the north Woods, you like this movie. But if you're a bass angler from Georgia or like an elkhunter from Utah, I wouldn't say it's a must watch for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or just like somebody who watches TV, you're probably gonna be like, oh, didn't need that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did you watch Did you watch this by yourself or did Shelby screen it with you?
Speaker 2: My wife was around yeah, about five minutes and she's like, oh, this is kind of funny, and I was like, yeah, it's like it's a comedy.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: It's Jeff Dane Daniels who wrote it, started it, directed it, But I didn't know what to expect. I had never seen it before.
Speaker 3: I've never seen it either. Sydney asked that I turn it off last night and we instead watched Love Is Blind, And then I started watching it again this morning at home over fresh pot of coffee, and she asked that we not have it on anymore, and so I finished it here this morning at about eight o'clock.
Speaker 2: So very good it does.
Speaker 3: I think it will find a mixed reception among diverse audiences. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love Jeff Daniels. I think he's extremely talented, and I, you know, hats off to him that he could slip a passion project through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this really did feel like a passion project, like a love letter to Michigan deer hunting culture. I'm curious, from your perspectives as outdoorsman, what about this movie rang true to you?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: I love that it's a movie about the social pressure that comes with a deer camp. That's a real thing, and then this movie took it to like the millionth extreme. I also liked that it felt very Michigan because it was filmed in Michigan. They were drinking Lining Google, a beer that's brewed in Wisconsin. They talked about the commemorative bucks of Michigan, which is a real thing that folks in that part of the world care about. They're playing uker, which is a deer camp staple in the Northwoods, and they're eating pasties, which is a very Michigan food. So I enjoyed all of those little nods to, you know, people from that part of the world, and I think about, like, my favorite TV show ever is Deadwood, and Deadwood was made for me. I'm not saying it's the best show ever, but it's my favorite show because it's like about, you know, my favorite time in history in one of my favorite places in the country. And if you are someone who hunts deer in Michigan, you would probably have a similar response. I think to this movie. They're like, oh, this was made for me. I really like this thing.
Speaker 1: I like that you pick up on the social pressure as theme because it is blown up so so much that it's hard to understand that that's really what it is. Sure, and if you're in deer camp, it's okay if nobody's getting deer, and it's okay if everybody's getting deer, but it's really not okay if a couple of people are getting dere and nobody else is.
Speaker 2: Right, or if you're the only one right.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed in his fevered dream, the uh the scene where he sees he's at the football game and he sees the scoreboard and it's real men ninety five and then him zero. His dream, I thought revealed a lot about the Anxieties of a Deer Hunter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was released in two thousand and one, but I think it's supposed to be in like nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 3: November fifteenth, nineteen eighty nine. He wrote the play it was. It was initially written as a play and he wrote that in ninety six. What I thought was very strange. And this is sort of off topic, but it feels like it was made in nineteen eighty three, like two thousand and one, Just you know, to keep this in mind, this film was released six hundred and forty six days after The Matrix was released. Oh if you think about The Matrix as sort of a moment of rupture in modern filmmaking, yeah, this, I mean, it's almost incomprehensible that this was a two thousand and one release.
Speaker 2: Time pieces that are old always like put my brain in a pratzel. I remember being a kid and seeing Greece and like not being able to grasp that it was released in like the late seventies, but it's about the early fifties and not really knowing like where that felt, where that fell in the world when it came out. And it's sort of the same thing with this like a two thousand and one movie about the late eighties, but like you said, it felt like it was the early eighties.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it. I mean, I think all of the vehicles they're driving, and all the gun they have, and then the references to like the Macinaw Bridge and all these Like at one point he calls I think people from the Lower Peninsula fudge suckers, which is a reference to like macinaw is very famous for its fudge. I just I don't think I've ever seen a film that is so deeply embedded and has all these specific cultural touch points that just like rang true throughout.
Speaker 2: A racial slur that was used, you know, three or four times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, the sort of kitchy sort of parody of Native American traditions. Yeah, was a little I don't know, I don't know what to say about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's another deer camp thing, right, Oh yeah, generational inside jokes. Yeah, and that's what the movie is.
Speaker 3: What about it did not hit with you.
Speaker 2: There's a surprising lack of deer hunting for a movie about deer hunting. He doesn't even go deer hunting until like the eighty second minute of a ninety three minute movie, and that deer hunting scene is just like him running after a glowing orb in the woods. And so I was expecting much more like sitting in deer blinds and being cold and crapping in the woods and oiling guns than just like you know, sitting in the deer cab in the day before opener.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although I in some respect, my relationship with deer hunting or hunting in general is ninety six percent leading up to it and then four percent actually doing it. Yeah, maybe that's a larger commentary on our obsessive pursuits of these things.
Speaker 2: The other thing was that it was it was written like a play, like you when you know that. I knew that ahead of time because we had a trivia question about this recently. It feels like a one act play. And I would like this script a whole lot better if I watched it like as a play in a theater in Michigan. And it felt very similar to Rocky Horror Pictures Show, which also has like a weird cult following, and it's a very weird movie where things happen that you don't expect, and it's it was written as a play that became a movie and you sort of feel that too when you watch Rocky Horror Picture Show. I think the same thing went with Eskinabin The Moonlight. I would enjoy this much more. Uh if Phil was on a stage playing Ruben Sodi.
Speaker 3: I have to say I was thinking about that quite a bit, if we could do our own little production in Bozeman here.
Speaker 1: But also, didn't you kind of think about what Spencer left out about his grease experience. Was that like he kind of had probably like a little doop phase Spencer. I think about that his his love blossoming for musical theater.
Speaker 2: Listen, I love theater. I won a one act play award in high school Outstanding Actor award. Wow, so you're really lucky critical I held I held season tickets to theater when I lived in Sioux Falls. I've been to probably like a Broadway shows. I've probably been to twenty shows off of Broadway. I enjoy theater, and Phil thinks that I go there to support him when I go to you know, a musical and Bozeman. But I'm just I'm just there on my own.
Speaker 1: You should have just.
Speaker 3: I have seen here in the comments that someone may made a note about the subtitles. I don't know if you watched it with the subtitle, Oh, it's fabulous, because it's just unintelligible and and they can't get the name right Sody, So if you're watching it with the SoundOff, you think that they're talking about the Saudis the whole time. It's just like, it's like the Saudis, the Saudi's crap so big they have to climb off the pile or whatever it is. It's like it's a very different movie with the subtitles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amazing all at all?
Speaker 3: Is this going to make your list of recommendations to fellow hunters?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: To me, it was like barely a movie about deer honey. It could have been about, you know, shooting pool eracing cars. But if you're like a north Woods deer hunter, if you like gulump in that area, I think you'll like it. I did say three stars. That's that's my three story.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 3: The only.
Speaker 1: I really don't have a movie that I would be like, Oh, you're interested in hunting, here's a feature film you should watch. It'd be Jeremiah Johnson would be like the closest thing, like, oh, here's some outdoor stuff.
Speaker 3: So that's a zero from you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not okay. Yeah, I think it was just a bad question.
Speaker 3: I will say, Oh, so you just disagree with the premise of the segment. I I love this segment personally. I will say, if I if we could somehow acquire the intellectual property, I'd love to remake this movie, uh in in the style of another adaptation of a stage play, which is Glengarry Glenn Ross and just have that, Like it's also about men seeking h They're just desperate men trying to reach out and sort of avoid their own personal failures, you know, through through getting the Glengarry leads. Yeah, like a dark deer camp, Phil would be fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twelve angry men right up there with us.
Speaker 3: With that, I think I've probably used up all the time for this segment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love me movie clubs.
Speaker 3: Oh it's the best, so.
Speaker 1: Fun, especially when it's Randall's birthday. I think he's bringing a little extra heat.
Speaker 3: I did treat myself to a few extra words in my commentary.
Speaker 2: So all right, let's take a break for some listener feedback. Phil, what does the chant have to say?
Speaker 5: Yeah, let's see here. See Cornelia says a comment more about Cal's mustache. Everyone should take mustache notes from Cal.
Speaker 1: Rule one.
Speaker 5: Don't touch a just trim or do anything to said state. Let it grow. Step two repeat step one. Cal, do you have any mustache care, grooming tips or any routine because some people were comparing your mustache to Spencer's and saying that you could actually take tips from Spencer about stash grooming, and I thought you might take offense to that. I kind of want to just stoke the FH.
Speaker 1: No, no offense to each their own.
Speaker 2: I'm just got different styles.
Speaker 1: Right In a state like Montana, where it's very dry, your hair gets real brittle and it just chips off and falls off out. So why even just does it on its own? But if you have a lot of extra time in your day, like Spencer does to do self rooming, you can go that route route too. I'm not You're just better at time management, is what I'm saying, time management compliment.
Speaker 2: What you don't know is I shaved about three minutes before walking out the door this morning. It was almost five o'clock. Shadow version of this.
Speaker 5: In honor of white Tail Week, what is the crew's favorite piece? A first light white tail gear that's from Nathan.
Speaker 2: I love the hand muff. I use that thing all year round. I use it when I'm white tail hunting. I use it when I'm archery hunting, rifle hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunt. The hand muff is like incredibly versatile. Anybody could could use one of those, and it's it's like pretty inexpensive. You'll use it for a lot of your year when it's cold out. The white tail hand muff.
Speaker 1: Everything you buy in the Spector pattern, which is this pattern that we're rocking right here, goes a percentage of that goes to National Deer Alliance, part of our CAMO for Conservation program, which is super awesome. Not a lot of companies do that, and so you know, buy something inspector and support NBA.
Speaker 3: I haven't been able to come up with a favorite piece of media or First Light whitetail gear because I'm wondering if Nathan here is a plant from our friends at First Light.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Randa is saying that this Jackie might be asy around.
Speaker 3: Jack I do like this jacket quite a bit. This is the Phase jacket and it's a nice it's a nice fleece fits well. Get some good pockets. I like the lining. It's very warm, which is perfect for a podcast studio that already runs a little hot, so very comfortable.
Speaker 1: Whatever you do, start with good bass layers. You got buy marine o wool.
Speaker 2: Just like with that hand muff. You'll use that on all your outdoor adventures.
Speaker 1: Exactly more bang for your buck. All right, this kind of a double entendre Phil Hey to get that. That's right, plus pears.
Speaker 5: Yeah, last one we'll get to some housekeeping. Garrett's asking how willing are you guys to eat fish from small ponds lakes in cities, example Glenn Lakes, which is Bozeman Beach here in Bozeman, the main tributary is Bozeman Creek, which run straight under the city. Seems a bit radioactive, thoughts.
Speaker 3: I would consult your local Fish and Game agency slash public health authority. I know that when we went to ann Arbor, we considered perhaps eating This was before we decided on a golf course pond, but we considered eating some fish, and uh, nothing from that county. I think is recommended that it that it be eaten.
Speaker 2: So I think unless you're pregnant, you're probably okay. I I probably am not eating anything from the Glen Lakes in Bozeman, But if I didn't have a few walleye in my freeze right now, i'd probably think differently.
Speaker 1: Cal small, fast growing fish. You're you're pretty much okay. Remember the solution to pollution is dilution. So yeah, high water, uh, and uh, little lakes like that. You know, I don't think the nasty particulate is in the water column. It's it's settled, so you should be just fine.
Speaker 2: One more time before we move on here, Phil, can you pull up the photo that we're using for the caption contest in case anybody joined us late. We have a caption.
Speaker 5: Contest really quick. Uh, Shelby Huber says it up, Spencer, you ate a goldfish.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. You can watch that on season two. A pardon my plate, We ate a goldfish that I caught from an hoa pond in Bozeman. She got me there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, here's the here's the captain contest. We've already I'm already having trouble filtering through them. There are so many good ones. I think I'm down to like seven right now. Wow, you know that there are some really good ones that are just not going to make the top five. I apologize just how this stuff works, but thanks for right no man. But here here's the photo again. First, right the caption.
Speaker 2: Phil is going to read the best comments that our live viewers, right, and at the end of the show, we're going to pick our favorite one and give that person a first light core jack.
Speaker 5: And really quick spencer before we move on. This is an announcement for next week's episode of Meat Eater Live. Like I don't know, ninety percent of the company's slash crew is going to be in Venice, Louisiana for Meat Eater Experiences next week. So Meat Eater Radio Live will not be live next week. It will be pre recorded. We're still going to try to live stream the pre recorded video, so you guys can hang out in the live chat if you would like to, but that fully depends on the kind of upload speeds we get down there and our internet connection.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: If we cannot live stream, it will still be uploaded onto our YouTube channel at eleven am Mountain Standard time next Thursday.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you Phil. Speaking of Venice, Louisiana, our next guest is joining us from there for one minute fishing.
Speaker 5: Oh I was too busy trying to add Yannis, I forgot to play the song did did.
Speaker 8: I feel lucky?
Speaker 2: We'll do you punk, go ahead make my cast. One Minute Fishing is where we go live to someone who's fishing and they have one minute to catch a fish, and if they're successful, we'll make a five hundred dollars donation to a conservation group. This week, our angler is Giannis Poutellis, who's on the Mississippi River near Venice, Louisiana, and he's fishing for a donation to Captains for Clean Water. Yanni, welcome to the show. Thanks sho.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's up, Spencer?
Speaker 4: I was gonna do the Billfish Foundation, but you go ahead and pick where my U.
Speaker 1: Forget.
Speaker 2: I said that fishing. Yanni's fishing for a donation to the Billfish Foundation. Yanni, is it raining there?
Speaker 8: What is the question?
Speaker 2: Is it raining there? It looks like you're in some bad weather.
Speaker 4: It is rain, and we're all suited up. It's been beautiful last two days.
Speaker 8: But of course, for when our little.
Speaker 4: Year experience is gonna start, we're gonna have rain for a couple of days, but it's not gonna slow us down. The fish are already wet.
Speaker 8: They don't care.
Speaker 4: They're still gonna eat.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm here with Brene Cross.
Speaker 4: He's the owner here of Cypruscoot Marina and he's been a big part of setting up this whole experiences deal that we're about to do. And you know you've been asking me about if I'm gonna be confident or can I do one minute fishing. It wasn't until yesterday when I was here at the cleaning table. We're no two days ago, and uh, the guys are pitching carcasses off the edge here and there's a literal feeding frenzy that happens right next to the fish cleaning table. Whoa, it's not quite as easy as let's say, a pond behind the office building and Bozeman, it should be pretty good. Rey, you need to add, well, I guarantee you one thing about pouring down range so fish don't get up on the platforms and they don't ply my fall land.
Speaker 9: So they're still right there and they still got to eat.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, Yanni, you said that there is a feeding frenzy happening, But what fish is doing this feeding frenzy.
Speaker 4: Type of Uh, it looks like it's mostly hardhead catfish. We did see a guy actually just twenty minutes to go full out some kind of a.
Speaker 1: Jack jack pravel jack.
Speaker 9: And the salt water is coming up into the river systems right now, and with it comes all of the salt water fish. Uh, because normally this is Mississippi River is fresh water. So at this time of year, the swamp saltwater goes all the way up to the city, if you all, it's literally and so with it comes the that prevailed redfish. Everything is up in the river now.
Speaker 4: That's because the Mississippi River is low correct, so the tide or the ocean can actually push saltwater back against the current.
Speaker 8: Absolutely.
Speaker 9: And we're we're actually building a barrier about twenty miles north of here to slow down the saltwater intrusion into the city New Orleans, because we get all our water systems.
Speaker 6: From all of our water supply.
Speaker 9: Comes from the Mississippi River and it is treated. So we're trying to they're trying to keep it out of the city New Orleans because we want it down here.
Speaker 2: All right, Yanni, you tell us, you tell us what your strategy is for being successful here, and then we'll get to fishing, well.
Speaker 8: I'll show you. And this is what I got.
Speaker 4: This is a chunk of it's left over tuna from the tuna that we caught yesterday offshore from about eight to make a yellow fit. I'm still full from all the sashimia I last night, but uh, it's just real, real base they cooked with the big old chuck of meat on it, and then I got it under a barber. My biggest hurdle right now is gonna be the fact that Renee gave me a bait caster limited experience when a bait cast burn. A bait caster knows there's a lot of a lot of bird the birds nests that come from bycastle, so I don't have to cast far. We pre fished it so we know that there's something that's gonna fight.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then Renee is actually gonna.
Speaker 4: Make a cast too with a much heavier rig, but just a jig head with with a chunk of fish on it. But he's got it all like forty pound tests just in case he hooks into a one of those.
Speaker 1: Jacks, Rebel, then we can pull it in faster because.
Speaker 4: The guy that was here earlier pulling that jack can ballot took him thirty minutes to land that pitch.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, you may hook something, but you're not gonna land for the segment.
Speaker 4: So that was the question I had. I have to have the fish landed within a minute.
Speaker 2: Just hook up, hook up, and within a minute, and then we'll give you all the time you need to fight that thing and get it to shore.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I agree with that. Spencer hooks one of those jacks.
Speaker 4: You guys got to come back to us in fifteen.
Speaker 2: Minutes, okay, okay. So for the first time ever, in one minute fishing history, we have two anglers. They are using cut bait. You're Venice, Louisiana, Mississippi. Yeah, yeah, go for it. Well, the clock will start. The clock will start as soon as you take your first cast.
Speaker 4: What it's gonna fall off?
Speaker 2: Yanni is rehooking his cut bait. He was not ready for this cut bait. Oh, he's adding more cut bait. Okay. I would be real satisfied if he gives us a bird's nest on this first cast.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, bold move fold move.
Speaker 2: Here, Yanni. How close are we to being ready? This is this is the one minute segment. We're ready, Yes, we are, they are. They are in the marina here. I think we can see a lot of boats in the background.
Speaker 3: You gotta love fishing at a fish cleaning table.
Speaker 2: Goes Okay, they have just made their first cast. The one minute starts.
Speaker 3: Now did he hook up it?
Speaker 2: No way?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Does he have one?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: This is incredible. My timer got to ten seconds and they both talk.
Speaker 3: Oh that's that's.
Speaker 2: What else?
Speaker 7: Do you?
Speaker 2: What do you got there, Yanni? Are these the hardhead catfish? Okay, they're scrambling. They're looking to make another cast.
Speaker 5: I don't know how much I can hear us right now too. We've got a rough connection on top of rain catfish.
Speaker 4: It's a saltwater catfish.
Speaker 2: A hard headed catfish. And I had to educate myself. Oh he got another one. They caught three fish. Now, man, there, this.
Speaker 4: Is phenomenal catfish.
Speaker 6: So I'm done.
Speaker 2: This is phenomenal advertising for the meat eater experience in Venice, Louisiana.
Speaker 3: And a redemption of the Peteli's family name.
Speaker 2: That's right, true, Yanni. Uh catching three fish within a minute.
Speaker 1: I like those grippers for the catfish there. Stay away from the most spines. Boys.
Speaker 3: Oh that was exciting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that was incredibly exciting but also somehow incredibly anti climactic.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Three catfish within thirty seconds. Well done, Yanni, Well done, Renee. And those are hard head catfish. I had to learn about them a little bit. They the world record is like four and a half pounds. They do not grow very big.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, they don't get big.
Speaker 2: No, so you got some stand fish there for a hardhead.
Speaker 3: We're gonna make Renee is still fishing, Renee is.
Speaker 2: Still fish in the background. I don't care. We're gonna make a thousand dollars donation today, then, Yanni to the Billfish Foundation, how about that?
Speaker 4: I like it?
Speaker 2: I like it all right.
Speaker 4: The Renee was telling me, they're the ones that provide and and uh, the all the tagging that a lot of people are using off shore, like but instead of killing fish, they're tagging these fish with satellite trackers and a lot of that research and the and the money and all that comes from the bill Fish Foundation.
Speaker 3: Another one.
Speaker 2: He's pulling them in as fast as in the background.
Speaker 3: Someone stuff that man.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks Yanni, we will we'll see you next week. And wow, that like five fish in our one minute fishing segment. All right, moving on, our next segment is let's talk about sex.
Speaker 5: You want to talk about want to talk about?
Speaker 1: I want to talk about.
Speaker 3: Justice, showing the falcons and.
Speaker 1: I like to hear stick saying.
Speaker 5: A word to come to tea because occasionally you don't want to talk about sex.
Speaker 2: You could have went with the obvious Salt and Peppa single. But Toby Keith, uh, I want to talk about me Phil Crow.
Speaker 1: Phi'll just yeah, talk about using this is his platform to show.
Speaker 5: All right, let's it really, I'm just taking advantage of it.
Speaker 2: It's let's talk about sex. Is where Karen enlightens us on animal kingdom intercourse. Take it away, Karen, here we go.
Speaker 7: This segment in honor of white Tail Week, is about white tails. Everybody.
Speaker 1: What qualifies you to host this?
Speaker 5: I did research, She did the research.
Speaker 2: We have some vandals fanning himself.
Speaker 3: It's got to be.
Speaker 7: If you're looking for forever love, you're out of luck with whitetail deer. As masters of non monogamy, whitetail bucks are fully obsessed with sexy time during the rut or mating season from October through December and extending through the end of January into the southern range. Whitetail bucks are singularly focused on hooking up with hot doughs, and by hot, I literally mean in heat. Like in her estrous cycle, eating and sleeping tend to fall by the wayside for bucks as they wander beyond their home range for greener pastures. The rut is all about the chase, and does will play hard to get. Bucks will run themselves ragged in pursuit of dos and can lose roughly twenty five percent of their body weight by the end of mating season. A doe will try her damnedest to flee the advance of a salivating buck, but when she determined she's ready biologically speaking, she will stop and stand for him. See, folks, it's all about consent. The buck sticks around for a bit to breed the willing dough several times while she's in her estras cycle, which typically lasts a day or two. It truly is a case of he loves her, then he leaves her, since soon enough he's frolicking off to find another hot dough. There's actually a scientific term for this behavior. It's called scramble polygyny. Whereby males partake in competitive searching for a maximum number of female mates. But it's not just the bucks that go wild and practice promiscuity. White tail does can read with multiple mates as well. She might fancy the older gentleman buck and the younger pool boy buck all the same. A hungry young buck foolishly in and over its head may try to challenge a more mature buck and get its butt whooped. Or he might sleek sneakily swoop in on lady Doe and she'll let him get lucky once the older male has done his deed.
Speaker 1: Describe for me a pool boy buck.
Speaker 5: You know, in its earlier years.
Speaker 7: With the dough being bred multiple times by multiple bucks during an estra cycle, sperm gets all mixed up inside two separate ova may get fertilized, and she could end up with twin fawnds fathered by two different baby daddies. Oh, how scandalous. The scientific term for multiple paternity in a single ungulate litter is called superfundication. Superfundication put the fun, yeah, and super fundation. There we go, cow super up, No super sorry, superfecondation. Oops, there's no fun in that. But plenty of fun what the fac Superfecondation is also known to occur in dogs, cats, and cows, and it's been verified in other mammal species such as shrews, deer mice, black bears, grizzly bears, polar bears, and feral hogs and humans.
Speaker 2: I've seen a maury about this, Like, yes, of course I miss that show.
Speaker 1: Missed that show, but yeah, so like when you're beautiful golden retriever spits out of border collie amongst a bunch of.
Speaker 7: Other golden superfecondation it is almost done, folks. Gestation lasts for around seven months, so we wouldn't know until the following spring just how frisky Mamadou had been during the previous fall. Paternity testing in wildlife populations is no easy task, so identifying superfecundation hasn't even been attempted in too many species. That's it for your sex education. Lesson today, folks, until next time.
Speaker 2: Well done. That was great, and as Cow pointed out, I love the pool boy buck reference. The hunting community needed that. I'm going to use that term in the future. I'm glad you introduced.
Speaker 5: Us to that perfect boy.
Speaker 7: Glad to do a service folks.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, we'll have more. Let's talk about sex in the future. I think that's now my favorite segment that.
Speaker 1: We do because it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Bill's sound that he plays and Corinne's great research.
Speaker 3: A short lived reigin for Meat Eater Movie Club.
Speaker 1: When is your favorite for about twenty one minutes, Well, we had never Yeah, you're right when selecting for mature animals though, right, it's more more than just antler size, Right, You're looking at body type and I often throw in attitude. Yeah, pool boy, buck, my pool boy buck. Be like, you know, a term that we can carry on in the field pretty easily. Gonna use it all full conkey, little pool boy.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 2: Joining us on the line next is Ryan Beerman, who survived a black bear attack in Wisconsin thanks to some good shooting from his twelve year old son. Ryan. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: Thanks for having me, all right.
Speaker 2: Ryan, First off, tell us what you were doing in the woods on that fateful.
Speaker 8: Day September seventh. Me and my son were bear hunting. My son had a bear tag for the area of Wisconsin. We're hunting sire Wisconsin, hunting over bait. So in Wisconsin bait hunters. It alternates every year, so this year bait hunters went first. So next year now hound hunters at first. But we were sitting over bait and do your stand or bear stand, I guess you call it. But in my about six pm, I tapped my son on the shoulder and I said, oh, and there's once straight west of us, and watched it and it never came through, and kept watching and they ended up coming in from the north side of the bait, and he ended up putting a shot on it. And everything I seen when where the bear was biting it looked like it was a fatal shot. High fives and waited twenty minutes a half hour. We got down, neighbors called neighbors came over, started looking for blood. We didn't find blood right away. Ended up getting one of the neighbors to bring their chocolate lab over and we started trailing and I was carrying a ten milimeters pistol and my son was carrying a three fifty legend and he got dark on us and kept kept going with flashlights and headlamps and going into the I mean it was super thick where we were at. I actually when the dog ended up getting hit by the bearer, which I didn't realize he got hit by the bear. I thought he got probably got in the buckthorn or something. And he yelped and ran behind me, and I, you know, kind of stepped into the clearing and I was like, oh, man, right, there is a bear five feet away, and the best stance I can give you or tell you for the bear at that time he was sitting next to an oak tree looking like a cat ready to pounce.
Speaker 2: Wow. So for a recap so far, Ryan and his son Owen were bear hunting. Owen shot the bear, wounded it, they tracked it, and while they were tracking it, the bear maybe made a swipe at the dog. The dog ran out, and then the bear came after Ryan and it got on top of you right yep.
Speaker 8: So initially it came at me on it hind legs, you know, claws, and I actually got a scratch on her pretty decent cut on my right her left hand from I believe it would have initially swiped at me and it ended up knocking me over. At that point, he grabbed me by my right leg and it was shaking me profusely. I mean, it was shaking me. The best way I can describe it as a labrador shaking a rowbone. And at that time I was pistol whipping the bear. For better terms, I mean ten milimeters pistol. I shot at it as it was coming. I was shooting from the pretty much from my hip because I pulled it from side hole stirt and I was shooting at it as it was coming. So I was pistol whipping it with the empty pistol over and I remember thinking I got to change something up here, and I remember turning the pistol on the side and actually hitting the bear. I think I was trying to name for its year with the magwell and I twisted it, hit it with the magwell and leased for split second, and I was like, oh, it's over. You know, I thought the bear was gone. You know, I thought I was going to run off. At that point, I looked over and checked on on. On was fine, and I looked out and I just remember seeing claws and teeth coming shape from my face. At that point, instinctively, I stuck my right arm up in front of my face, and I remember the first bite. The first bite. I was like, oh, man, I just broke my arm because I heard the crunch of guessing with pen nine teeth going through my clothes and into my flashing into my arm, and I just remember thinking, how am I going to fight this bear with broken arm? And fight continued and it was like everything was in slow motion. I remember hearing the report of the iifle and I seen the muzzle flash, and I just remember the the bear's weight because he was sanded on top of me pretty much at this point. I just remember his weight shifting to my left side, which was away from the shot, and I just pushed him off to the left and he died right there, you know. And I rolled over trying to what distance in between me and the bear at that time.
Speaker 2: And that that shot that Ryan is describing came from his twelve year old son Owen, who was witnessing the attack. And Ryan, I had read that. You said you could feel the bullet passed through the bear. Is that correct?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 8: It was like nothing I ever felt. I mean it was, you know, I could just feel the hole that shot. I could feel the whole way to the bear going to my left side.
Speaker 2: And when when the attack was happening, at any point did you think to yourself, like, I hope Owen shoots this thing or had that not crossed your mind?
Speaker 8: I was I think I was screaming, trying to scream. I don't know, shoot it, shoot it?
Speaker 1: M Are you you at work right now? Ryan?
Speaker 8: Yep?
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I just want like the general reaction that you're getting right now when somebody's like, uh, boy, can you have a rough weekend? You got a couple of scars on your face that weren't there before, and you say I got attacked by a bear? What do they say?
Speaker 8: They're like, what they don't? You know, most people don't even believe it happened, you know, literally, let me hear the story.
Speaker 2: Wow, we are. We are looking at Ryan's fresh wounds right now. If you're watching this on YouTube, you can see those as well. Tell us about the wounds that you had and how those are healing.
Speaker 8: You're healing up pretty good. I mean you see it on my face that I caught here ripped open on my left side of my cheek, pretty much flayed open. Everything's healing up good, back to walk and just fine.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 2: Well, we we are glad that you're around to tell the story and tell Owen that he's a hero for us. What what an increble man? Yeah? All right, thank you for joining us, Ryan, thank you. Crazy stuff. A twelve year old to like have the the thought to shoot that bear and then successfully do it, it's like putting him in an insane situation.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, some of those situations you always wonder if you'd be able to pull that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, how anybody would versus just a twelve year old?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, all.
Speaker 2: Right, we have come to the end of the show. Phil should we do some listening or feedback and questions first before we wrap up the caption contest?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, what do you got here?
Speaker 5: Zachary wants a mediatter movie club style randall breakdown about Love is Blind.
Speaker 1: I'd be happy to do that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: If there are any seasons in particular you'd like us to review, please send it to radio at the mediator dot com.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you, if you're new to the dating genre, if you watch what's the one that I enjoyed? The Love on the Spectrum, and then your girlfriend's like, let's watch Love is Blind. Love is Blind is such a letdown. So there's not a single blind person on that show. Love Love Spectrum Wonderful.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I'm a big fan of Love is Blind and Love Island and all of these shows. So the only problem is they keep getting longer and longer. They're like twenty eight episodes now, and the episodes are themselves, you know, seventy minutes. It's really overwhelming.
Speaker 2: I get second hand, I get secondhand exposure to these shows, but I have yet to uh, you know, take it in for myself. And I'm glad. I'm glad you like them, Rando.
Speaker 3: We can address that. We can address that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what else you got? Phil?
Speaker 5: Ryan is asking about any traditions or superstition during your hunting camp or at your hunting camp as you prepare for a trip.
Speaker 2: Tradition or superstition?
Speaker 3: Have any as a I mean, I think my traditions have gone by the wayside since I moved to Montana, because every hunt is kind of its own different experience. But when I was deer hunting Kentucky, my buddy and I would always buy, uh, we'd go down each weekend in November and would always go to the grocery store and buy two rotisserie chickens, would buy a thing of instant mashed potatoes, would buy a box of stovetop stuffing by jar Cranberry sauce. We would make Thanksgiving dinners. There you go all weekend and then Thanksgiving sandwiches for lunch. I have a feeling that it likely figured into our success.
Speaker 2: That's good, Tish, I think I thought of one. I have some of the last Ham Special Lights in the world. It's my favorite beer, and they discontinue them a few years ago. So now I take one with me on hunts, and if I'm successful, I get to have one, you know, with that critter while I'm gutting it or cleaning it or whatever. So I get to have the last Ham Special light, you know, with a deer that I killed in Montana, or you know, an antelope I shot in Wyoming. So the Ham Special light tradition will continue for a little while.
Speaker 1: That's nice. That's very nice. I unfortunately have like you know, bonded with certain clothing items. So I have an orange hat that I really like to wear. But the problem with that is it orange fades, and there's no way it's legal at this point, and so that's a real real bummer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, blaze the orange. It's just like subjective, right, I think it really is.
Speaker 5: I think it is, and then they'll do we'll do a last sort of comment here before we choose the winner of the capture contest. Ethan says that he knows that I have a good tabletop game that I'm dming right now. Dming for the late person is it means Dungeon Master. I've only ever DM for my family, but I have tried to start kind of a whisper campaign around the office to see if anyone would be down to play some Dungeons and Dragons.
Speaker 1: Like You're You're at coffee and you're like, sorry, casta, what spell?
Speaker 6: Phil?
Speaker 3: You texted Spencer and me many many months ago asking whether it would be interested in joining your group, and I responded in the affirmative, and I believe Spencer did too.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 5: Spencer offered up his house as a place to hang out. He was a firm no, but he would be excited to just kind of be there. Was very excited to participate.
Speaker 3: But I just recall that text exchange ending with me saying yeah, I'd gladly participate, and then there's been silence since. So this is a revelation to me. That you haven't act well.
Speaker 5: I've asked others around the office in person, such as Maggie uh hot hot Carl formerly of Theater Corporation. Both of them were kind of like Luke warmont I just haven't gotten a lot of positive uh a big positive reaction. I'm still gonna try to make it happen. Maybe we'll do like a little one shot two or three hours.
Speaker 3: Am I not enough for you?
Speaker 1: The time of years?
Speaker 2: There's food and beer I've offered, and cater and step in when Phil needs the voice of an ogre or something. So I'm like, you know, put it pitching my support behind Phil.
Speaker 1: And I just want to point out just because I enjoy being hyper critical of certain things, I don't have to be that way all the time.
Speaker 5: I'm very aware you're one of my favorite people to see around the office. And then some people are are baffled by that.
Speaker 2: Let's uh, let's wrap up this caption contest. Now, can we see the photo one more time to see let's folks are.
Speaker 5: Captioning, Okay, there's.
Speaker 2: The cal across the face with a hunk of meat.
Speaker 5: Okay, so I narrowed it down to fives. A lot of you didn't make the cut. They were still very good. There was a great one that said, hey, here's a thigh five. That one made me chuckle, but unfortunately, so okay, here we go. First one is from Joe sEH, this is the caption. He's quoting Steve. It's pronounced rus belt. You know what this is kind of you know, for those of you who know Steve was very adamant about pronouncing Roosevelt Roosevelt. He's actually since done a one to eighty on this. Yes, yeah, when presented with new information, he changed his mind.
Speaker 3: But I still think this caption captures the spirit of Steve, which which is why I selected, especially it hits close to home.
Speaker 5: There was another one that said here's here's your compliment sandwich, which is also good. I thought this almost just.
Speaker 1: Edged it out a little bit.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is a classic, but you know I had to include it. I hear by night you sir Loin. Oh, come on, Joe, Yeah, this one, this one makes me laugh just reading it. Tim Miller says, snort, this shout out to the best dog. Leland says after this, it'll be Cols.
Speaker 1: Week in Review.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, yeah, that.
Speaker 5: One solid and then last one, Waffle says, I'd make a caption, but I'm afraid I'll butcher it.
Speaker 3: Getting a little metat there.
Speaker 2: That's true, Phil, what's your favorite from that list?
Speaker 5: I mean, my favorite is snort this, but I don't think that'll be the consensus.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'd throw my vote behind it's pronounced Roosevelt. How about how about the others in the room.
Speaker 1: I like the simplicity of thigh five.
Speaker 5: I'll have to go back and find that user if we choose it.
Speaker 2: We have a split vote so far here, randall, are you going to pick another one off the board or go with Phil's mine or cows? It is your birthday, so I think you should decide who gets the core jacket from first.
Speaker 3: Like, oh god, that's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 1: That is a lot of pressure.
Speaker 3: I forgot me profoundly uncomfortable on my this is my birthday. Uh huh, as we all know, king for a day, I'm gonna go rogue here. Okay, out, I'm gonna say thigh five. I love it.
Speaker 1: Thigh five all great submissions, but if you guys.
Speaker 5: Want to I need to find the thigh five so we can shout that person out.
Speaker 2: Thigh five show yourself they are the winner, and to claim their prize, they're going to write an email to Radio at the medeater dot com and we will get you that core jacket. Do it right now, do it as soon as this show ends. That way, I know it's you and we don't have a thousand people claiming to be the thigh five jokester. Again, that's Radio at the meadeater dot com.
Speaker 3: You could have given me a few days and I never would have gotten the thigh five.
Speaker 1: You know, I can't search.
Speaker 5: I'm so I'm so sad that I unstarted, so I can't find it easily.
Speaker 2: So I got I got some more filler, Phil.
Speaker 3: While you do that.
Speaker 2: On next week's meat Eater, Radio will not be live because Steve and crew are recording it from Cypress Cove in Louisiana at the first Meet Eater Experience. The video will still drop on Thursday in the podcast on Friday, but again we will not be live for that one. Media to Radio. We'll return to its regular schedule on October seventeenth, And don't forget, it's white tail week right now, so head over to the mediat dot com for our best white Tail content and deals. All week, we have discounted first Light whitetail gear, and the more you spend, the more you save. Head over to our website because there are only a few days of white Tail Week left.
Speaker 1: Here is we should all wig in.
Speaker 3: Alexis, Tom, Alexis Thomas, congratulations Alexis.
Speaker 2: Caption contest thigh five. Alexis, you write us at radio at the mediater dot com. We're gonna get you that first light jacket.
Speaker 3: Brilliant, brilliant. That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was thinking, uh, we can have people take bets on how much we weigh, uh before the before and after way. It's of Cypress. You're gonna eat good down there, yeah, louisianachy like they only do things two ways.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: It's cooked in butter, or is defat fried and then served with butter.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's gonna be a good time.
Speaker 3: Sounds lovely.
Speaker 2: All right. We will see everyone back here on October seventeenth for more Meat Eater Radio Live.
Speaker 3: Let's get lunch.