Speaker 1: The guy stepping into the number two spot in the lineup has been Heraldo Perdomo, and because of him, the Diamondbacks really haven't missed a beat with kateel Marte currently on the injured list.
Speaker 2: Hey, we've got Jesse Friedman joining us right now, the new host of the new show Snake's Territory, which did its first live show last night, So check it out on YouTube or wherever you get your podcasts. Jesse, great to have you on. Let's just start really nice and simple here. What kind of grade would you give the Diamondbacks for the first few weeks of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, first of all, thank you guys for having me, really appreciate it. Yeah, a grade for the first few weeks of the season. They're coming into today, they're playing right now, but they're coming in today, eleven and seven. I would probably give them an a minus feels roughly appropriate. Granted, the Diamondbacks are a fourth place baseball team currently, which maybe we'll get into later just how wild the NL West is currently, But just in and of themselves, they have played pretty well to start the season. As I said, they're eleven and seven. That's a pretty good place to be. Eighteen games in. Certainly it hasn't all been perfect. The starting rotation is something that we could get into as an area of improvement for this team. Certainly there were high expectations for this rotation coming into the season after the signing of Corbyn Burns. Several guys in this rotation have not quite performed up to where you would maybe expect to this point in the season. But in really all other facets, the bullpen has been quite good up to this point in the year. The offense, I believe, is fourth in baseball and run scored entering today. And this Diamondbacks defense tends to be pretty good a year in and year out as well. So they're clicking on most cylinders right now. And I think if you got this rotation to where a lot of people think it could eventually be, you could be looking at genuinely one of the best teams in all of baseball.
Speaker 3: So what are we missing? What is the what is the non Arizona following media missing in the sense of, like I see that Corbyn Carroll's leading team and Homer's run stole you different categories. Are we missing something that like everybody in the nation should be watching right now.
Speaker 1: Corbyn Carroll has certainly gotten the vast majority of the attention from this team, and rightfully so. I think someone who probably deserves more attention is Heraldo Perdomo, Diamondbacks shortstop who's been a pretty solid player in this league over the past few years. But the start that he is off to this season has been extremely impressive. Entering today, he was hitting three to eleven with a nine to seven OPS. And currently the Diamondbacks are without Katel Marte, who is certainly their best player a year ago, one of the best players on this team for quite some time, and he's been out since April fourth, so it's really the majority of the season that the Diamondbacks have been without their best player, and the guy stepping into the number two spot in the lineup has been Heraldo Perdomo. And historically Prodomo has been a guy who could give you a quality at that but was not necessarily going to slug a ton. Was not necessarily you know, most of his hits are going to be singles. He's going to hit singles and draw walks. But what we've seen so far this season has been really a different version of him. He already has matched his home run total from a season ago with three homers so far in this young season, and he just seems to be driving the ball with more authority and because of him, the Diamondbacks really haven't missed a beat. With katel Marte currently on the injured list.
Speaker 3: Tel Marte is the year in and year out possible MVP favorite. He was top three last year. Does Corbyn Carroll slide into that role now? And not just because of what he's done this small season sample size, but also after he made his swing change part way through the year last year, going back again on top of the heaters, do you think he's an MVP candidate?
Speaker 1: It's hard eric to watch what Corbyn Carroll is doing on a day to day basis right now and think anything different. I mean, this is a guy who for those people who like wins above replacement as a way of measuring player performance, Corbyn was number one on both Fangrafts and Baseball Reference as of the start of play yesterday, talking about, according to that metric, the best player in the league. Right, and certainly this is a guy that we've seen in this conversation in the past. Last year not so much, right, he had such a brutal first half of the season that even with a pretty stellar second half, he just wasn't going to be in that conversation. But in his rookie season, when he was Rookie of the Year and had twenty five home runs and fifty four stolen bases, he did finish top five in MVP voting. That's season and back then I certainly would not have been surprised if Corbyn became a legitimate candidate to win the award at some point in his career. And what we've seen so far with the swing stance change that you mentioned, he seems to be kind of downplaying the impact of that, but it's hard as an outside observer not to associate how well he's playing right now with what is a pretty drastic change to his swing stance that he made. He is crushing anything and everything, including pitches at the top of the zone, which has been kind of maybe the one hole in his game that you could have identified a couple of years ago. That does not seem to be a hole any longer. So I think it's still early, certainly to be having these conversations, But in my mind, Corbyn is absolutely a viable MVP candidate.
Speaker 4: All Right, we're talking about all the things are doing well. What's the achilles heel of this team? Is it the bullpen? Because the bullpen wasn't great last year, they didn't do a lot to address it this offseason. Is that the one thing you look at. I know, the starters aren't been doing great, but Korba Burgs is going to be fine, Gallen is going to be fine, Meryl Kelly's gonna be fine, Fought's gonna be fine, and Water Rodriguez gonna be fine. These are veteran guys. Is it their bullpen? That's there one thing where you look at and say, this has to be right for them to compete with the Padres, the Giants and the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: You know, for the vast majority of this team's existence as franchise, I think you could look at the bullpen as kind of always being their achilles heel. And certainly last year there were some issues. Once again, Paul Sewald was hurt for a while, and then when he returned from injury, was good for a time and then just really really hit a rough patch in July, and the Diamondbacks really didn't have a great situation at the back end of games the rest of the way. What we've seen so far, though, Aj is what I think is a pretty good bullpen. We'll certainly see whether this is sustainable. But the Diamondbacks acquired AJ Puck at the trade deadline a year ago, and he was outstanding in the second half. He hasn't been quite as good so far this season, but the stuff looks still pretty darn good to me. I think he's going to be fine, And I think the real story with this bullpen is the emergence of Justin Martinez, a guy who some people are maybe starting to hear about more and more. I think MLB dot com recently had an article about how his splitter is effectively a ninety mile an hour knuckleball, and beyond that, he's throwing, you know, one hundred and one hundred and two miles an hour on the regular with his four seam and his sinker. So Justin Martinez hasn't allowed to run yet this season. Shelby Miller, a guy the Diamondbacks picked up over the offseason, invited him to spring training. He has been outstanding as well. He is not allowed to run so far this year either, So between between those guys and aj Puck still being here is I think a pretty solid weapon at the back end. The Bullpen's been all right so far, and I don't really have a reason to think it's it's going to change anytime soon.
Speaker 2: Tod Fither, I'm looking for premium clothes at an affordable price. I wanted to fit nice. I wanted to make all the features that we want to point out look nice, and I want softness.
Speaker 5: Yes, what do I do? You hit up True Classic? I mean these shirts that I have on right now, not only is it fitting and it's soft, it makes my arms look a little bigger too as well. The comfort is all I ask for in clothing, and that's the biggest part. And this is what they have that the genes are comfortable too as well. Everything that you put on right now from True Classic is special. It's something I'm gonna buy in all different colors.
Speaker 2: It's one hundred percent perfect fit, guarantee, easy returns, free shipping on all orders. And whether you're bundling up for the cold or you're getting ready for spring, you can level up your style with clothes that actually fit right. Just go to the ft exclusive link. That's true Classic dot Com slash foul to save True Classic dot Com slash Foul. Shop now and elevate your wardrobe today with True Classic dot Com slash Foul.
Speaker 3: It makes sense. It makes sense.
Speaker 4: They brought in some veteran guys to help, obviously, and you should read what was it on. We did a newsletter not long ago name five guys to look out for, and one of them was Martinez because he throws one hundred with a ninety mile an hour, splinker, sinker, splitter thingy, whatever you want to call it. Can Puck though, here's my question. Shelby Miller got off to a great star. I love Shelby Miller. I caught him for a couple of years. Great guy. Can he keep it up? Can AJ Puck keep it up? These are guys that have kind of had a little bit of up and down, especially in the bullpen. Bullpen so volatile it can change literally week to week. Can these guys keep this up for one hundred and sixty two games?
Speaker 1: I guess that's the million dollar question, right. I think it's totally valid to wonder if they if they can. Right, You're You're absolutely right, AJ Puck? You know, since I think a Brown May of last season has been one of the best relievers in all of baseball. But before that, yeah, he was not that.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: He made some adjustments to his pitch arsenal early last year in Miami and really started to throw the ball well. The Diamondbacks wanted to trade for him, and so far, so good. But yeah, he's only you know, he's only been this version of himself for probably a little less than a calendar year. And certainly Shelby Miller as a guy who was you know, a non roster invitee just just about a month or so ago. Right, you certainly need to see more from these guys, I think to feel great about it. But certainly, what we've seen so far, it's as good of a place as I've seen the Diamondbacks bullpen in at this stage of a season for maybe as long as I can remember. This has certainly been the achilles heel for this team for many, many years past.
Speaker 3: Can this fourth place team win the division?
Speaker 1: They've got a lot of ground to make up already, Right, it's outrageous what's currently happening in the NLS. You guys might have already talked about it. I believe entering today, the four best records in Major League Baseball are all NL West teams. It is the Padres, it is the Giants, the Dodgers, and the Diamondbacks. Granted, I think a few other teams are tied with the Diamondbacks entering today, but yeah, it's it's unreal what we've seen so far in the NL West to start the season. I think if you'd asked most people entering the year what the best division in baseball is, I think the N West would at least have been a popular choice, probably the most popular choice. But I didn't expect this, Like I did not expect the Giants to be what they've been so far, and even the Padres, after the offseason that they had, you kind of knew that the top end talent was there, but they lost a whole lot of depth over the offseason, and somehow that really has not held them back at all so far. So I think it's too early to get too wrapped up into what the standings look like right now, but frankly, the odds are certainly stacked against the Diamondbacks and in winning the n West. You know, the Dodgers, of course, being I think the primary deterrent there, but also the Padres and Giants looking pretty good early in the season as well.
Speaker 4: It's never too early, by the way, it's never too early to look at the standings. Trust me, it's never too early because you got to win games. But also the other thing is, you know, West hasn't really started playing each other yet. The Rockies taking the brunt of it from everybody right now, but the other four teams haven't really started to play. The Padres and the Giants and the Dodgers and the Padres. They haven't really gotten into it yet where they're playing the thirteen times yet. So it's a little bit early to say, oh, this team is better than this, because they're going to start beating up on each other at some point, and when they do, whoever comes out of that scrum is who's going to win the division.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to remind Jesse about a quote that we got when we were at Diamondbacks camp from Kevin Ginkel. He said he feels like the Dodgers tighten up a little bit when they play the Diamondbacks. Did you catch that quote?
Speaker 1: I did, Yes, I do remember him saying that, and I think there's some truth to that. I mean, I've covered pretty much every Diamondbacks Dodgers game in person here over the last few years, whether in Arizona in Arizona or over in Los Angeles, and the Diamondbacks have played the Dodgers really tough over the past few seasons. Granted, part of that is that Christian Walker would just turn into a superhuman every single time he entered Dodger Stadium. He had one of the most unbelievable three game series that I've ever seen there last July. I think he hit four home runs over the course of those three games. So it'll be interesting to see what it looks like without him on this team anymore. But yeah, I don't think that the Diamondbacks are intimidated by anyone in this league, and based on what we've seen from them so far and certainly what this starting rotation, I think still could be if Corbyn Burns and Zach Gallen and some of these guys that you expect to be really good kind of find their way. Yeah, I think they certain only can compete when when they're playing the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a fun division to follow if the Giants stay involved here too, because that's really the extra team that I don't think most people.
Speaker 3: Expected to be Giants exactly.
Speaker 2: They're have a good series against Philadelphia too. Jesse, this was great, thanks for joining us. Congrats again on Snake's Territory. Keep it up. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 1: All right, sounds good, guys, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Jesse Friedman, host of Snake's Territory. So go check it out. Jack Summers on there with them multiple times per week. You can also follow Jesse at Jesse and Friedman F R I E D M A N. But go check out the show. It's awesome. They'll pop on live after some games as well.
Speaker 3: See right.
Speaker 2: Show sometimes is for gold stars. How do you say his name?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know Mark rip Mark Rippager, Mark Ripperger did one hundred percent. He's the guy. I didn't look at this, so I don't know. Yeah, he's got one hundred percent flow too.
Speaker 3: Nice Salad Empire scorecard.
Speaker 4: Could have been me a lot of money and I wouldn't have said he would have.
Speaker 2: Really, there were some trolls or maybe not trolls, maybe they were right that were like, no, it actually wasn't perfect on dot com or stackast whatever. It had one or two misses, but I'll go off on scorecard. They're pretty good. So they've got him in the zone when he was supposed to be out of the zone, when he was supposed to be hound percent.
Speaker 4: But no, here's my question, though it was his ninety four percent, right, what was that I missed some balls that were allowed in the eu Z, which is the estimated umpire zone. I don't know what that stands for.
Speaker 2: That's the demilitarized zone.
Speaker 4: Ye see one strike one called strike outside the So did he really looks like he did miss I don't know.
Speaker 2: They can We all agree.
Speaker 4: That this is really cool to see. Good for you.
Speaker 2: There's a border and then that's where you get I know. So are we getting love?
Speaker 5: Are we happy about this?
Speaker 3: This is why we haven't had the abs till now, and this is why we're gonna have arguments with it. Are we giving pitchers a twenty one inch plate because a two inch baseball touches the edge of the supposed strike zone? So now the plate is going to be extra wide and we're doing this for more offense or what are we doing it for? So there's there's a lot of discussion here. Listen, perfection is tough. We need to name it something when an umpire, we got to come up with something like the ump Showman, something like a perfect game.
Speaker 4: That's cool. I don't think they want it because the last guy that got one hundred percent, we don't talk about him anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I was in the playoffs and he just had he just had his name connected to his buddy's account.
Speaker 2: He was, yeah, you can look that up. We did plenty on that, and I've got in trouble for the bad stuff, getting involved with the friend, the bookie, the whole deal, all right. Next up was this batter's interference on Austin Hayes. Tons of back and forth on a number of different social media platforms, with people being like Ellie de la Cruz should not have been called out from batter's interference here on Austin Hayes. They said a lot of people are like, you can't fall back, that's your fault.
Speaker 3: Bad call.
Speaker 4: He didn't touch him, didn't touch him. I used to fake and hit all the time and try to steal that. When I know I had no chance of throwing out fast dudes like Ellie. I'd just be like ah, no, like interference. You know for replay, they couldn't tell. But he didn't even touch them, like he's not even close to him. That's a bad call for me.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I don't know if it's the band calls. Definitely judgment there. I'm going because because Cal had to really stand up to throw over him, it was Cal's fault. All Cal had to do was do his normal move, go straight through him. But it is hard to say, Okay, I'm gonna throw and I'm gonna allow my knuckle to hit your helmet. No, not a chance. So you do you let your glove hit AJ? I mean go look up some of AJ's flops from behind the plates. Technically he went across the line that he should have gone across. And the line is not the inside part of the batter's box. Yep, he is choreographed.
Speaker 4: You don't get these for nothing.
Speaker 3: I think it is I think it is interference. I think it is batter's interference.
Speaker 2: This is good, this is I love this, this is good heat.
Speaker 4: This is the batter's interference.
Speaker 2: It's not you guys are the experts.
Speaker 4: Not it's a week tweaks back when I played you had to spin that wheel to get the interference right. You had to fake it till you make it right. But not anymore. You don't even have to touch the guy. You can just yell and scream and they'll give you whatever you want.
Speaker 3: I do. I do agree with you that you had to make contact or the umpire had to believe that the throw was manipulating. Without making contact, they weren't gonna they weren't gonna call it. But I still think it's in. I mean, according to that of the law, it is interference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got follow then manipulate them. I didn't try to break the rules. I just tested their elasticity.
Speaker 3: Please, people go and look it up. It's on YouTube. There's some there's some nice like I'm talking, oh, like a mix between one in the playoffs and La Liga.
Speaker 4: To see the playoffs when I was with when I was at the Cardinals where somebody hit me with their bat and I went down like I saw believe in the rain on purpose. They came out and gave me the whole potato and I was like, I'm fine. It worked though the guy had to go back and yeah, okay, we're good.
Speaker 2: I got my call and I'm fine play on hey acting is part of the game. Apparently