Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast. Catch Just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on Appo, car Play, and then Roud Otto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: The news flow has been incessant is we await a vice presidential selection from Donald Trump and continue to assess the aftermath of the attempted assassination of the former president over At the weekend, we also got more news in legal land news that maybe favors Donald Trump as well as the document's case in Florida, Judge Aileen Cannon presiding over it has now been thrown out by that judge on the grounds that the appointment of Jack Smith, the special counsel who brought the case, was appointed unconstitutionally. So let's go now to Bloomberg Sarah Ford and who leads our legal coverage out of Washington. Sarah, how unexpected was this? Snowing that, yes, Elin Cannon had been criticized for slow walking this case. We knew it probably wasn't going to go to trial before the election, but to throw it out entirely was this expected.
Speaker 1: Well, she had been briefing on this topic, she had held hearings, and then she got a fundamental support from the opinion just two weeks ago in the Supreme Court decision on Immunity, where Justice Clarence Thomas specifically raised this question of the constitutionality of the Special Council, and her opinion cites his opinion, So that is kind of the connection here. The ruling today did come as quite a surprise.
Speaker 4: However, Sarah, it's Joe. It's great to have you with us here as we join you from Milwaukee today. Let's get to the chase. Then, now that we've had this happen today, there will be no other trials for Donald Trump after New York.
Speaker 1: Right, we are not seeing any trials on the horizon, and at least not before November. This ruling does also raise a question for the January sixth case and whether that will become an issue in that case. But first more likely this whole question of the constitutionality of the Special Council is likely to head back to the Supreme Court, where at this point only Justice Clarence Thomas has raised this issue. But certainly there are other conservatives on the Court, whom may well agree with him.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's important Sarah to consider here. And we were discussing this with a member of the House Judiciary Committee, Congressman Victorious Parts earlier on the program. The suggestion that a special council's appointment may have not been in keeping with the constitutional duties of Congress to have some kind of role. Would that then throw into question, say, the special council that brought the case against the president, current president's son, Hunter Biden, David Weiss, Would it call into question special counsel her, who was investigating Biden's own handling of classified documents. Just how far this extent.
Speaker 1: So we're taking a look at all the other challenges to special counsels and the and the famous. You know, special councils have been used throughout American history to to review some of our most controversial situations. But in the case of David Weiss, the Hunter Biden special counsel, he was actually a US attorney who had been approved and confirmed by the Senate. So under her her reasoning, you know, he would be okay to continue his work. Her point was that Jack Smith was a private citizen. There's no, you know, basis for a private citizen to be kind of uh lobbed into a prosecutorial rule role unless Congress has explicitly either confirmed that person or passes a law saying that this is an acceptable role for a private citizen.
Speaker 4: M hm. So, Sarah, what's the next important stop on the road here in Donald Trump's legal journey? Is it sentencing in New York in September?
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, we are expecting Jack Smith to appeal this particular ruling, so there will very likely be more action in the Florida classified documents case. And I think there's a question over whether they are going to try to get Cannon removed from the case and start over. So, of course all that would take a lot of time. The next step in the hush money case in New York is for the District Attorney Bragg to respond to the immunity question there. We are expecting Judge Mishaan to hold hearings on that, So it's likely the sentence and could even be postponed longer.
Speaker 4: With US Live from Washington, Sarah, thank you Bloomberg. Sarah Forden here on balance of power. As we turn our attention back to the Republican National Convention here in Milwaukee. I'm Joe Matthew alongside Kaylee Lines with the column before the Convention. Joining us now Ashley Davis, former Homeland Security official and former White House official in the Bush forty three administration. Ashally, it's great to see you in Milwaukee. Thank you for joining us here at the table and for you're very busy throughout this week. We remind our viewers and listeners that you were the second person in the door at the brand new Department of Homeland Security. Of course, in the wake of nine to eleven, which was a game changer for security. What happened on Saturday, the attempted assassination of Donald Trump, will be a game changer.
Speaker 5: Again, I think so.
Speaker 6: I mean, actually, just so I don't insult any of my former colleagues, I was actually employee number one at the White House Office of Homeland Security after nine to eleven. Most forget that the department wasn't created until two thousand and three, which is very important these days because when the department was created is when they put in place the national Special Security Events, which is what the convention is. Both conventions are right now, so there's seventy five million dollars that have been given both the Republican Convention and the Democrat Convent, and for the Secret Service to take the lead with other agency security agencies to make sure that this facility, as well as Chicago, will be the very safe. I think the problem right now is the fact that do we have any confidence in the Secret Service, And so I think that would that's my question, but I will think you.
Speaker 4: Have to ask that openly.
Speaker 2: Is terrifying.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. I mean, what happened Saturday.
Speaker 6: First of all, it's where I grew up, so I know the area very very well. The fact that there's very limited and I'm sure you've heard this many times and so there's your viewers, there's very limited buildings there. So the fact that there was, you know, a football field and a half that this person is really what it is away from the President. And this morning I saw that the Secret Service is still blaming local law enforcement, which to me, one we have to remember the Secret Service or the people that actually put the perimeter in place. And two they cannot say that this is the local law enforcement's fault. It is a major security of breach that stops at the top of the Secret Service.
Speaker 3: Well, it also raises the question as to when that breach should have potentially been intercepted, if it really was physically at the location, that that individual shouldn't have been able to access the roof with a semi automatic rifle, or is it a failure in intelligence gathering before that the idea that there could have been this threat out there against Donald Trump that wasn't accurately assessed. I guess just where in the process is the flaw.
Speaker 6: I think it's actually I think that planning number one, that there wasn't someone on that building when it was that close there should be and usually, just in my former life doing so many events with presidential events, you have people in all those buildings. So the fact that someone was not on that building and then took time to climb up the building, I think that it started beforehand and planning and not having someone there to answer your question, But I also think the fact that they left that amount of time to have during the actual event is where it really broke down. But I think it's a long process. And going back to your other question about the intelligence before the event, there is so much intelligence happening always, but especially now in this devisive world that we live in, that there are so many threats against both of these candidates.
Speaker 5: That are just sort through exactly.
Speaker 6: But still, that's why you put these people on top of these buildings so it wouldn't happen.
Speaker 5: And the other thing that.
Speaker 6: Was just crazy to me and a bunch of former Secret Service people were saying it today as well, is the fact that they let him. It's an iconic photo what happened of him standing up, and that's amazing, But there could have been three shooters, even though the one was dead.
Speaker 4: At that point in itself. Was a failure.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think this is going to be the I can't imagine what's going to happen with the investigative people at the Department of Homeland Security Inspector General will do a report on this and see what happened.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's a major failure.
Speaker 4: Is it time to rethink this entire apparatus? Kayley mentions we spent time with Congresswomen's Sports earlier and I asked her if it's time to renew this debate over whether members of Congress should have security details. I don't know if that would be part of the Secret Service or part of the Capitol Police. I know it would come at extreme cost, but to your point, the threats continue to.
Speaker 6: Increase absolutely, and if you talk to any members of Congress, they're really nervous right now.
Speaker 4: We have a we'red to do that or can we afford not to do that?
Speaker 6: Look what we spend money on, So I would think that we definitely can afford if it's a priority. I don't think that you would probably do secret service. I mean, obviously there's Capital Police that do the Speaker of the House and majority minority leader in the Senate, so I think you would. There's still different levels of security with the Secretary of State is actually security through the Secretary of State. The Treasury Secretary is through that. It's not all secret service, So you may be able to do different security. I mean, if I was a member of Congress right now with a high enough profile, I would be outsourcing my own security through my campaign money.
Speaker 3: Well, think of Senator Mitt Romney who has had to fund his own security for him and his family. This is a very real thing. So as we consider the security of ourselves right now, as we are in Milwaukee for the Republican Convention, we all have had to contend with I'm sure at this point the perimeter and maybe have had some items confiscated in the case of my aluminum water bottle, even though it was empty. So for anyone who's entering the perimeter here in Milwaukee, don't bring your water bottles. But the point is we're here for the Republican Convention, which in many ways is likely to change in tone this week as a result of what happened. But there are some things that still need to happen, including the selection of the vice president. We're expecting it's going to come at some point today. Donald Trump has said as much, how did the events of the last forty eight hours change you're thinking about who it's likely to be.
Speaker 6: With his tone of unity and obviously President Biden's as well, but the president former President Trump's unity message. I would think that if Senator Vance was going to be the nominee that you may rethink that because of he's kind of a flamethrower in regards to some of the things he said, especially after what he said on Saturday. From what we all understand, we're going to hear this afternoon, late afternoon about the vice presidential candidate. I personally think if you have someone like Governor Burgham or Governor Younkin from West or West Virginia, Virginia.
Speaker 5: That they are probably.
Speaker 6: Someone that are more middle of the road in regards to how they talk about different things and would be a safer bet in my opinion.
Speaker 5: And I really don't think that he did.
Speaker 6: Know who it was going to be until recently, and I definitely think that this would change his.
Speaker 4: Perception Reuters. I think that Marco Rubio has been informed that he is not going to be Donald Trump's vice president, and so now we're going to go through this process of elimination all day. It would be classic Trump for this to be no one from the short list, totally right that he had us off the set the whole.
Speaker 6: Time, which is why there is a kind of a swelling of information about Governor Junkin. And then you still have people that are thinking, well, was it going to be Niki? And I do think that there is a possibly.
Speaker 4: Relot it for them body Nikki Haley, would you say, are you allowing for that?
Speaker 5: I would love it to be Nikki, as you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I'm also a huge Dug Burghum fan, So but I do agree with you. I mean, this is kind of his thing to make it nobody that he's talking about. But that's interesting about Rubyo. A lot of people were hoping that as well.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't have to move now, Well, that was the question. They're both Florida men, So how do you get around that? Marko Ruby may have had to change his residency to another state. Again, this is just Reuter's reporting it. Bloomberg has not independently confirmed it, but it does feel kind of, if not the Apprentice, like the weakest link, like just a one by.
Speaker 5: One elimination exactly.
Speaker 6: The other thing that's interesting is there was a huge Twitter blow up today that JD Vance left his house in a motor k but it's been confirmed that that was secret that was not secret service, but VP motorcade that was from the governor of Ohio gave Jdvan some protection, which you probably need.
Speaker 4: So so what are your broader thoughts then? As we get into day one here the change in tone that we've already talked about Donald Trump rewriting the speech, is this going to feel or look different tonight than you expected?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: I mean, even him going back to reaching out to Nikki yesterday or on Saturday Sunday yesterday, I guess, and asking her to speak. I do think that there is a unity conversation. If you did see they did camp there was going to be a floor fight, so to speak about the abortion issue and the platform that how they changed the platform to say that they're going to let this up to the States, which obviously angered a lot of pro life people that they did cancel that floor fight. I do think that there's a lot of things that will not be happening in regards to kind of the contentious issues.
Speaker 5: His tone.
Speaker 6: Also, the campaign has been calling the speakers. Tim Scott speaking this evening I just heard, so he's probably not the VP candidate, I would think, but that they've asked all the speakers to not be talking about Saturday.
Speaker 5: In regards to.
Speaker 4: That last hire, yeah, we'll leave that, I guess to the former president on.
Speaker 5: Thursday exactly so.
Speaker 6: And I think someone said it really well today, when you were this close, like literally from dying and getting hit with a bullet, maybe maybe it's really has changed.
Speaker 3: A reminder of everyone's mortality. Ashley Davis, former Homeland Security official, you're listening.
Speaker 2: To the Bloomberg Balance of Power kens just Live weekdays at noon Eastern on Applecarplay and then Rodoo with the Bloomberg Business Ad. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 4: On a special edition of Balance of Power. Life from Milwaukee. I'm Joe Matthew alongside Kaylee Lines as we keep our eyes on Fiveser Forum, where Day one of the RNC is happening just a couple of blocks from where we're sitting here at Bloomberg TV and Radio in the field, and we assemble our political panel at this important moment. Rick Davis is with us right now, Stone Court Capital Partner alongside Geenie Shanzano, political science professor at Ionia University and senior Democracy Fellow at the Center for the Study of the Presidency and Congress. It's great to have both of you with us here. We're waiting on an announcement for a running mate. The clock is ticking here, Rick, what's happening behind closed doors right now? Because obviously Donald Trump knows who this is. What is the campaign doing to prepare this unveiling right now?
Speaker 7: Part of what's happening is that the would be vice president is meeting his team. There's a whole staff that's been built to take him or her from this venue onto a next three months of campaigning, and so it's not without its resources and whatnot. And then and then there's this last minute going through the speeches and making sure they're fine tuned. They're going to be spending a little bit of time when the delegates aren't in the hall to go and do their walkthroughs to see the stage for the first time. It's probably one of the things Donald Trump will do today, maybe right now. And so there's like administrative things, but by and large, there isn't much politics being done other than you know, the speeches. But they're also designing these moments. Right. The thing you remember from the conventions one or two emotional moments, you know, when the president walks in and sees the out for the first time, or the president of first lady, or you know, the candidate and his spouse, you know, have some kind of gesture or something that's said at the stage. So that's what the organizers of this convention and trying to do is figure out what's our moment going to be tonight, and of course if Donald Trump shows up, that's already made moment.
Speaker 3: Well, absolutely, and it does seem that the integrity of the moment with which we all find out who the vice presidential pick actually is to this point has been preserved. It hasn't leaked out.
Speaker 5: We're all still.
Speaker 3: Laying in wait. And Rick, earlier in the program, you were bringing up the idea that it could be someone like Virginia Governor Glenn Yunkin, even though we don't understand him to be on the shortlist at this time. We're looking at instead burgham Rubio, jd Vance And I wonder about the state of Virginia, Genie is we just got new New York Times Siena polling today looks just at two states Pennsylvania, Biden's home state and where the shooting happened this weekend, and Virginia. And we should advise our listeners and viewers this poll did happen prior to the shooting, so we have to have that caveat in there. But it shows Trump leading in pencil and in Virginia Biden is only ahead by three points forty eight to forty five, within.
Speaker 5: The margin of error.
Speaker 3: So would someone like Glenn Youngkin be a smart pick for Trump. Could he actually turned Virginia red again?
Speaker 8: He could?
Speaker 9: I mean, it is fascinating. I was just looking at this poll. I mean the idea that Joe Biden is losing at this point. According to this poll, we have to say Pennsylvania, his home state, and then next door nearby Virginia, which Democrats. Of course, it is really I think for in my mind, a must win for Democrats. So should that go red, that is a huge problem for the Democrats. And so that does make Glenn Youngkin an attractive, you know, appealing vice presidential candidate. I'm also curious does the shooting over the weekend change Donald Trump's mind? I mean, all things being equal, if that had never happened, perhaps he had made his choice and stuck with it. But do you move away from somebody like jd Vance with a much tougher rhetoric to somebody like a Glen Youngkin or a dougam who have this sort of less rhetorical strong statements that they've made that may be off putting to moderates. I also note that they have now added Nikki Hayley to the lineup to speak this week, not that she's in the running to be VP as far as we know, but that's another interesting turn. So he does keep us waiting and watching and wondering. And I think when he gets in there, whether it's tonight or later this week, it is going to be one of those moments that Rick was just talking about that we all remember, especially given the fact the entire nation is rooting for him healthwise, considering what he has just survived.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump did an interview with the Washington Examiner in which he said he rewrote his speech. It was going to be a humdinger, he said, Rick, honestly, it's going to be a whole different speech.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: It's a chance to bring the country together. I was given that chance. I don't know if you believe the words you're hearing, but he has a moment, a delicate opportunity here to seize on. How different do you think that speech will be then it might have been on Friday?
Speaker 7: Well, I'm suspecting it's probably substantially different. I think you can't imagine what impact just escaping death has on Donald Trump or on anybody else. You can try to put yourself in that mind frame, but certainly the organizers of the campaign, the managers and the speech writers and the folks who are charged with getting the most bump out of this convention as they can. They haven't missed that point. And the last thing they want is a divisive political speech where Donald Trump goes up to the podium and eviscerates Joe Biden. And so no doubt everyone's aligned on this. Donald Trump probably feels this way. The campaign's going to want to see something different. And so it's not just Donald Trump's speech. Whoever has been crafting the vice president's speech is going to.
Speaker 8: Be having to echo that.
Speaker 7: It may change the lineup of who introduces the vice presidential candidate. Currently we had Donald Trump Junior, another pit bull of the Republican Party. I wouldn't be surprised to see a change made there. So I think you're going to see a kindler, jettler Republican Convention moving out, nonetheless political, but definitely tonally different.
Speaker 3: Well, and what goes for Republicans also probably goes for Joe Biden as his campaign, at least in rethinking your tone in the way in which you message, be it a threat to democracy or anything else. And I would point out that while we wait to hear Donald Trump speak at the convention later this week. We will hear more from Joe Biden this evening as he sits down for an interview on NBC with Lester Holtz, after hearing from him three times within the last several days since the shooting, including an Oval office address last night where he was talking about unity Jeanie. Knowing that there is going to be the split screen of the RNC and a vice presidential pick up against this interview, what is the winning message here for Joe Biden?
Speaker 8: What's he trying to do?
Speaker 9: I thought his statement yesterday or last night was very strong. I think we're going to hear more of that. He's going to talk about uniting the country, the idea that we don't resolve our differences with guns or with violence, we do it at the ballot box. And I think it's very important that he called and spoke to Donald Trump. We have already noticed on the Republican side some modulating of rhetoric, people like viveig Ramaswami, who is a bit of a pit bull like Donald Trump Junior, and Jade Vance. His tone seems to have moderated, so I don't know if we are just being pollyannish and hopeful that the tone is moderating. We are, after all, going into a Republican convention, and any convention is about, you know, opposition to your opponents politically. But it does seem like there is a change. And I will just say I've noticed in Donald Trump's rhetoric, in particular this talk about a conversion, the idea that this had that impact that Rick was just talking about, and that Ronald Reagan talked about after he was shot it changed his life and what he hoped to do and did as president. Now I don't know if that's going to happen with Donald Trump, but that's some of that. And that really fascinating interview in the Washington Examiner with with Selena Ze. That was fascinating, And the fact that he called her was in and of itself, really a remarkable moment.
Speaker 4: She was there with her daughter, and I guess they had an interview set up. He felt bad that they didn't have the opportunity. It is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 8: Here.
Speaker 4: Does Joe Biden need to make news tonight or is this simply about normalizing as Genie indicated, the idea of doing interviews like these.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think there's a little bit of inappropriateness by the president sort of you know, horning in on the first night of the Republican convention. In years gone by, there's sort of an understanding that you sort of give the opposition party their convention. So I think, yeah, I mean, I would be shocked if he tried to make news. I buy what Gennie's saying that, you know, he's just trying to remain relevant. Remember, it was only a couple of days ago we were talking about getting, you know, the Democratic Party purging him from there their ticket, and so I think he's trying to manage the transition back to being a favorite of the Democrats. And I think certainly the White House in his camp pain feel they need to have him out there showing people that he's vibrant and can handle the difficulties of a presidential campaign and the presidency. So that's what tonight's all about, all right.
Speaker 3: Rick Davis of Stoneford Capital and Jeanie Schanzeno of Iona University Bloomberg Politics contributors in our political panel here in Milwaukee. Thank you so much, and still ahead, we'll be joined by former Homeland Security Official Ashley Davis amid the heightened security here at the RNC in the aftermath of the attempted assassination of Donald Trump.
Speaker 8: Over the weekend.
Speaker 3: We'll have more next on Balance of Power on Bloomberg TV and Radio.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Balance of Power podcast. Catch Just Live weekdays at noon Eastern Onmocarplay and then Roud Otto with the Bloomberg Business app. Listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Now joining us live on set here in Milwaukee is a member of the House Judiciary Committee. To help us react to this news and get things underway. Here in Wisconsin is the convention kicks off. Republican Congressmen, victorious parts of Indiana is with us now. Welcome to Bloomberg TV and Radio. Congressman, thank you so much for being here. We have a lot to discuss in terms of the convention taking place over the next four days, but could we first get your reaction to the dismissal of Donald Trump's case down in Florida.
Speaker 10: Well, at least we have some comments and judges, because unfortunately our judicial system been weaponized and it's really an American people see it. So I think this is very you know, fortunate that we now can at least have real conversation and what they're doing to President Trump is unbelievable.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 10: As a member of Judiciary Committee, we have so many investigation looking on those issues and how our Department of Justice is doing this is really dangerous.
Speaker 8: What's happened in our country. This is not in.
Speaker 10: The democratic, constitutional republic.
Speaker 8: That should be happening.
Speaker 10: That's happening in throad world countries, but not in America. So I'm glad to see that happen, and I think it's a good step forward.
Speaker 4: Do you not believe the independent counsel is independent?
Speaker 10: Well, listen, we had these independent consuls, but we've seen that what is happening, you know, including was all of this report, they still come from the same system, and honestly, in a lot of ways, even special consols the Department Justice appoints there still I would argue, probably in some way unconstitutional and probably not as independent because they still come from the same system, and the system became corrupt, I hate to tell you, and really not serving to protect people rights and using very very effectively politically.
Speaker 3: So would this discredit, say Special Council Ways who brought the charges against Hunter Biden, or Special Counsel her who authored that report about Joe Biden's own handling of classified documents and called him a well meeting man with a poor memory.
Speaker 10: Well, listen, I would say that we need to really have a serious conversation about usage of special council and unless judiciary hearing, we actual Republicans brought up some of my colleagues to include and me the issue how constitutionally these special consoles are and really should be reusing them, because I've noticed what's happening. We have all this investigation going so no one can ask questions, there is no transparency. Then statue of limitation expires, so no one is bringing charges and there is no really consequences for doing some things that are pretty serious. So I think this has been very in effective process. Conduct needs to look how we can clarify that law and how the usership special consoles. So I have really concerns with all of them, I'll be honest with you, and the results of the investigations and really lack of accountability in the Department of Justice.
Speaker 4: It's interesting to hear that you see that it cuts both ways politically. We're here on the first day of the Republican National Convention. You must be excited. You finally got to this moment, and it hasn't come easily here based on what we've seen over the past couple of days. Donald Trump has made his way to town, and I'd like to get your impressions on what we're hearing. This narrative about unity, about lowering the temperature, an attempted assassination of a former president of the United States. It's the Republican Party capable of lowering the temperature this week.
Speaker 10: Well, listen, I mean it's an election year, so people definitely, you know, have a lot of excitement, but I think you know it's going to be excitement for the future of our country because we need to start governing.
Speaker 8: We have a lot of serious issues.
Speaker 10: Being punted for a very long time, and American people are tired. That's why the temperature is so hot on all of the site, because the government haven't been governing and representing the people. And I think this is going to be a discussion how we can get our economy back on growth, how we can you know, build good economy for all Americans deal with inflations and deal with a lot of policy to have a brighter future for our children, because we're not doing it right now. And political crategal is difficult, you know, and I think unfortunately it's been used in all of the sites to energize the base and it's part of politics. But I hope we can have a constructive conversation. We do definitely need to investigate see what's happened, because this is unbelievable. What's happened really and how close you know, you know, we had a situation that could have been very different convention right now and it would be said things for our country and could just stabilize countries so much so I think I hopefully have more adults in the room to have these serious debates on issues.
Speaker 8: That's what we need to do.
Speaker 3: Well, as we consider the events of this weekend and what is being done in response, there has been reporting that the Chair of the Judiciary Committee, Jim Jordan, as well as Jerry Nadler, the ranking member, were briefed by the FBI this morning. Has any of that information been shared with you as a member? What have you been told?
Speaker 10: Well, we have some discussion and we have, you know, right now, we need to make sure.
Speaker 8: That we proceed properly.
Speaker 10: But I think it's an interest of both parties, both sides, to look what's really happened.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 10: So I hope that my Democrat colleagues and we had situations where you know, Jim Jordan and Nadler are own situations of surveillance and war and requirement. We actually came together people on the right and the left. You know, we had situations we're dealing with some protection of privacy of Americans is so we can come together with one So maybe we can have a serious conversation, not to have a lot of grand standing, even in judiciary commedity, and this is the probably the most grand standing committee. But we can find the common ground. So I'm glad to see that, and I hope we can have a serious conversation because it can cut both ways, not just an hour away. I think Democrats should be concerned about the two because that is a huge failure of security. Will just happen.
Speaker 4: Well, should that conversation include security for members of Congress? We've been through this before, following Gabby Giffords, following steve'scalice. Should members like yourself have a security detail.
Speaker 8: We need to have a discussion.
Speaker 10: That is a pretty dangerous job and how we really, you know, deal A lot of people don't realize that generally only a few members and Congress have any security and we right now in a very polarized environments and how, you know, how we can be deal with that. I think this is we need to have because I mean, it's a great one, a huge responsibility, but in this environment, like I'm probably one of the few members of Congress that does in person town halls.
Speaker 8: A lot of my colleagues are.
Speaker 10: Actually very concerned to do that for that reason, because you put your life in danger by doing that. But we still have to be able to communicate with our constituents and we have to be able to get out otherwise we cannot represent them well.
Speaker 8: So I think it's a conversation.
Speaker 3: To have well as you're doing that communication and thinking about what your constituents want to see from the Republican Party, the kind of policy conversations that will be happening at the R and C this week. You talk about things like fighting inflation, what is the actual plan to do so when many economists we speak with here at Bloomberg suggest that some of the Trump policies he is suggesting, like increasing tariffs, would only be further inflation area. So what exactly is the proper plan?
Speaker 8: Well, I think you're not president and Trump is.
Speaker 10: You know, he wants to grow the economy and he wants to make sure that we continue text GUIDs, but we definitely need to look in the spending side. And this is a conversation I have as his team numbers on spending side, how we can reform some of the big ticket items like healthcare. You know, if we want to really bring re energize the enemy, it decreased that load and save a lot of programs that we promised to Americans, including like Medicare and Medicaid. Let's look how much is the res abuse in the system? Trillions of dollars of issues that actually President Trump and Obama agreed on.
Speaker 8: Let's have And that's what the conversation.
Speaker 10: We need to have and have a plan, And I think this is something we've been working to try to have because a lot of time in the political world, you have very short window where things can happen right after the election, So you need to have a plan and good plan. You need to wet and have a real So that's what we want to do. How we can deal with our dependency in China, our supply chain, you know, energy policy, always spending it. Which big part is healthcare and dependency in China, and really is with driving the biggest driver on inflation right now is that we have to deal And I think he has a lot of good people with good policy ideas, and I think before you know my you know my hopes we're going to win, and my hopes we can deliver that next Congress with President Trump.
Speaker 4: You're the only Ukrainian American serving in Congress. Will we hear about Ukraine at this convention? WI would be the party's posture on this war.
Speaker 8: But I think this is a very complicated issue.
Speaker 10: I think, you know, this convention going to talk about big issues like border domestic issues, but foreign policies issues are important and President Trump doesn't want to have worse. President Trump wants Europeans to step up and he probably doesn't get enough credit, and a lot of international issues that he actually did a lot of things to deter Rush from prose aggression, you know, So I don't think that is the main not the main topic on the you know, in the mind of Americans right now, but it is very important topic and we have to be figuring it out. We cannot have never ending wars. We need to learn from two trillion. You know that we spend enough against no Listen, I know this is a lot of political things. You know that you say, but he will definitely will do whatever he can to really try to figure out how to resolve this situation, because this has became a very very very difficult and very very bloody war and millions of lives are going to be destroyed already.
Speaker 3: So do you think that Ukraine can count on a future Trump administration to continue the support the US has provided up to this point in the war.
Speaker 10: From my prospective, I think Biden administration failed in Ukraine the trough of the war, the slow walk day. So I think President Trump will be much stronger in these issues, and I think he'll be willing to work with all of the parts.
Speaker 8: You know what I mean.
Speaker 10: You know, I cannot talk on his behalf, but I'll note that you know a lot of things people don't realize. It's also congresses in well on these issues. Actually power of the person and war power. It should be in Congress anyway, and I think President Trump been working and talking to a lot of members of Congress on this issue too, you know.
Speaker 8: So there is a political rhetorics.
Speaker 10: And there is also real, you know, discussions, and I think the real discussions will be much better for Ukraine than they.
Speaker 8: Are right now.
Speaker 4: Are we going to get a running mate and aspens today?
Speaker 10: I hope so, And I'm really excited about that.
Speaker 4: Where are you in the office pool?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 10: Listen, you know, they're all lucky that I cannot be one, and otherwise they will be all in.
Speaker 8: Trouble, you know. But I'd be a little bit a great alike.
Speaker 10: To the administration because I truly believe we cannot govern through executive waters. Congress needs to start doing his job. Actually, Chevron Docrine, you know, the Supreme Court ruler and Chevron doctrines showed us we are not doing our job, and I.
Speaker 8: Think we need to.
Speaker 10: This is instability for the country to change policies with each administration. You know, we need to discuss, deliberate and deliver on some of the key policies and they have long term effect for economy, for businesses and productability.
Speaker 8: That is very important that.
Speaker 10: Our businesses even sometimes maybe they don't like our policies, but at least they can react on them, not like retroactively do them or change them three times a year.
Speaker 8: That's not very good for the country.
Speaker 4: Republican Congress. When Victorias sparts of Indiana, thank you for being with us. I wish you were safe and successful.
Speaker 8: Convention. Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Thanks for joining us today in Milwaukee, absolutely and thank you for joining us in our special coverage from Milwaukee the Republican National Convention in day one. Thanks for listening to the Balance of Power podcast. Sure to subscribe if you haven't already, at Apple, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts, and you can find us live every weekday from Washington, DC at Noontimeeastern at Bloomberg dot com.