Speaker 1: Also media.
Speaker 2: This is it could happen here Executive Disorder, our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what this means for you. I'm Garrison Davis today. I'm joined by Mia Wong, James Stout, and Robert Evans.
Speaker 1: Who do we do?
Speaker 3: This episode? We're covering the week of August twelfth through August nineteenth, So I guess I'll start with I've seen reports that ICE is using parked vehicles, I guess as staging points for cameras. And I've seen videos of what appeared to be licensed plate flippers on ICE vehicles. If you're not familiar, right, like, there's been lots and lots of reports of ICE agents like manually changing license plates. This just appears to be a device goes whoop, rotates one hundred and eighty degrees, so you got two license plates available. A lot of the pitches, we saw a man being I'm not sure if he was arrested or just like harassed for saying like, why don't you have a license plate on your vehicle? Why don't you have a plate on your vehicle? And it very much appears if that vehicle had a license plate flipper on the front. Secondly, CBP is pausing all construction in Big Bend. This is according to Rodney Scott, who's the CVP commissioner, who says he is personally on his way there to conduct a quite personal evaluation. It's entirely unclear like what that means and what are the criteria for this evaluation? Right, Like, there are dozens of laws, treaties and regulations that cover the kind of thing that they are doing in the place that they are doing it, and they have waived all of them. So this is what we get now, right, we get Rodney Scott going on a plane and just like giving it the like the imperial thumbs up or thumbs down like some kind of Roman emperor. I guess, like this is a thing that wouldn't fly in like a hereditary monarchy like the UK, right where we now have one person making this choice that everyone will have to live with forever. They are destroying a place which is beautiful and one of the places that has not been ruined by like capitalism, and the one of the few large areas of public land in Texas. So I will keep you updated on what Rodney Scott decides to do I will probably do an episode on my other show Natural Causes about Big Bend soon. And then finally, I guess, as we're talking about border wall stuff from me, people are conducting a tree sit in a cottonwood tree in Arizona. The cottonwood tree. It's a very old cottonwood tree, sometimes called Grandmother tree. These people are trying to protect it from being destroyed due to border wall construction. They've been sitting in that tree for several weeks. Now I will eventually go visit them. It's going to go visit them, but I went to Spokane when those fires struck. Instead, they have been joined by someone on the Mexican side, So now there are two tree sitters, making this the first international tree sit that I am ever aware of. That rules Yeah, no, it's great. Oh yeah, hell yeah. Well like trees don't know borders, right. Yeah. As I highlighted in my other podcast, Natural Causes, the US left really fucked up. NAFTA came in by not saying, if you're going to try and pay people less in Mexico, then we will try and organize people in Mexico and together that we will demand dignified wedges and conditions. I'm glad that people are not taking that approach anymore because they didn't get us anywhere. Yeah, I'll keep covering the situation there as well.
Speaker 4: So, speaking of I guess the long range effects of NAFTA KOSB, which is the Korean stock index, hit its circuit breaker, which is the breaker that hits if you lose too much percentage of the stock market's value again on Wednesday. I genuinely have lost count of the number of times that it has been triggered over the past few months. This has become a regular recurrence in one of the largest and most important stock markets in the world. This time it was fueled by a collapse of tech stocks and the Brett Fruit Index hitting ninety dollars a barrel. We will be getting into some more of the impacts of that later.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: My guess is that it's going to rebound as everyone buys the dip tomorrow. But any one of these could be the one where it does rebound, and we will let you know whether the global economic collapses on.
Speaker 1: Yay, Yeah, what happens if there's not a rebound? What is that going to look?
Speaker 3: Like odd, everyone's fucked.
Speaker 1: No, I mean like in terms of like what is your expecting cascade of events?
Speaker 4: If that goes down, Oh, the entire global economy goes under, because the Korean stock market right now is basically a kind of tragedy as forest version of the American market where most of almost all of the value is congealed into these three AI yeah, three three companies that yeah, basically make AI chips, right, and then the rest of the value down the chaine is people doing weird gambling stuff on different AI components. If the market just actually crashes, that is those three companies, and you know we're talking like Samsung here, right, these are vital components in the entire AI. I mean not just the AI sere obviously the Samsung, right, Like we're talking about you know, things that are vital components and the big tech companies yeah yeah, in like all the manufacturing of tech all over the world. If that stuff goes down, that takes the American markets with it, That takes all of all global markets that are reliant on these AI surges go with it. And that's kind of just the beginning of the poppy of the tech bubble.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: I just wanted to get to that because it's like it is this mirror of exactly what's gone on in the United States. I guess the big difference is that so far, the obvious signs of trouble in South Korea have not set off alarm bells in at least in American investors to the extent that you might expect. But I'm sure.
Speaker 4: There's been some Like it tends to be the other way around, where Kosby tends to kind of be following the American markets, But there have definitely been days where, like, because of the time difference in Korea, all of the American investors wake up to watch like ten percent going down, like ten percent of the value of the Korean stock market disappearing in one night, and in that like lowers American stocks, and then Trump says something about the war ending and it goes back up again. So there has been some notice it, but our grand collective delusion to maintain the functioning of capitalism continues.
Speaker 3: Great, good, good good.
Speaker 2: On Tuesday, there was a JP debate for the South Carolina US Senate special runoff election. So it's a special election and a runoff, and in this debate, sister of the fallen Lindsay Graham, Darlene Graham, could not answer a pretty rudimentary foreign policy question because it is not her area of expertise. Let's take a lesson, Senator, Are Taiwan in the South China Sea national security issues for the United States?
Speaker 5: If so, why, I'm sorry, could you repeat the good our Taiwan and the South China Sea national security issues for the United States? And if so, why or how? I'm just going to be honest to you. I'm not on national security that I'm not informed on national security, so but I do support the military. My brother was in the Air Force for thirty three years, so I will do everything I can to support the military.
Speaker 3: Great stuff.
Speaker 1: You know what, honesty, that's what we need in politicians.
Speaker 4: Is I love hereditary seats. This is an amazing feature of what is supposed to be a representative democracy. It's so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know shit about fuck, but I love the army.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. She later goes on to literally say it's on her quote unquote area of expertise. It just talks about how regardless she will always support the US military it's a townded Lindsay Graham rolling over in his grave. So that is Darley and graham sister Lindsay Graham, who is facing Republican Ralph Norman in this runoff election, winner of which will then face the Democrat doctor Annie Andrews for this general election in November to replace Lindsay's seat.
Speaker 4: Pretty cool, God, I hope she wins the primary. I want to see more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this will be highly amusing if nothing else.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I want to briefly mention some new information regarding the federal investigations into anti ice protests in the Twin Cities, based on some newly released court documents. This was first reported in the New York Times, and I have read through the like thirty page motion filed by the defense that unveiled these documents and a number of the thirty some exhibits. And I'll report on this in full, probably next week with its own episode. But I do want to discuss with the group here a little bit. So four days after CPB killed Alex pretty DHS open investigation into labor unions and left wing activist groups that they thought were involved in funding the anti ice protests and quote providing material support to violent opportunists unquote. This HSI investigation amounted to a massive spying operation called Operation puppet Master and later Operation Whipple Shield. Whipple is the name of the federal building that was at the heart of a lot of the protests in the Twin Cities, and these operations ended up probing three years of financial records from organizations like Sunrise Movement, the Communication Workers of America, and the Healthcare Union SCIU as a part of a quote unquote financial investigation into quote unquote domestic terrorist financing. I think it's really important to point out here is that this three year time span of of documents extends far beyond the time span of Operation Metro Surge and the protests. Right this, this, this, this is not a probe into into financing specific protest groups responding to us. This is just a general drag net into labor unions, into left wing nonprofits, environmental groups, a racial justice activist group in the area like this is this is a huge probe. They're looking into VENMO transactions, They're requesting bank records like this is a massive probe of like the the interior of like some very major national unions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting when you look at who they're looking into, right, because it's it's a really really wide swath like across the political spectrum of the left, like s CiU. Like obviously there are like locals of s CiU that like do good work, but like nationally, s CiU is not like a radical organization, right, like yea of the major unions, this is just like it extremely extremely mill toast union, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I guess contexts of SEIU particularly would be that they arrested David Wuerta in Los Angeles in June of last year, right, it's union leader. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I know because Alex Preddy was a healthcare worker SIUs, a healthcare union, Like I went to like a solidarity protest put together by a bunch of different unions in New York City following the death of Alex. Pretty Yeah, it's interesting that the federal government picked up on that sort of union solidarity and then started investigating it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think that is that is really telling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, part of what I'm getting at here is like they're just going after everyone who's even like tangentially involved in these protests, right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The way the state sees this is they're incapable of organizing like spontaneous and like horizontal solidary. Seeing that, right they understand. Yeah, SEIU folks showed up in New York where Garrison is, and I think they're not called the AFT. In Minneapolis, maybe they called the Federation of Edgy Cats or something like that. MFE looks like, yeah, like another union right for educators evidently, and fifty to fifty one and some more explicitly socialists and leftist groups showed up against us, showed up in solidarity off adlex Pretti was killed. And the way the state sees this is therefore they are nationally and vertically integrated and someone is pulling the strings and paying the funds, not like they are fucking mad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like it's like the way that they see it is like yeah, like Seiu National has like handed down like the riot orders just like no no CiU.
Speaker 3: Like, but she's right, Like that is how they understand it.
Speaker 4: If like time traveling militants for the nineteen seventies kidnapped SEI used leadership and held them at gunpoint and said we will let you go if you order mass riots, they still wouldn't do it like.
Speaker 3: That's not that's not what this is.
Speaker 4: But yeah, the Feds have a hammer and they're trying to hammer down every single thing that even vaguely looks like a nail. Yea, so they can do sort of the broadest and widest ranging oppression that they can deal with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we have like an example of how HSI is envisioning this sort of conspiracy like what we're talking about, because as a part of the new exhibits that were released to the public, we have this slide that was sent to grand jurors for the indictment which we'll soon talk about, that targeting fifteen protesters. The grand jury was shown this slide that is labeled the conspiracy that has about fifteen different organizations with all with arrows pointing towards Direct Action Minnesota DAM, which is the protest group that the government alleges the fifteen people indicted were involved with in some way. I want to read through some of these organizations that are part of this conspiracy diagram. There's the Monarca Rapid Response Line. There's Ray Rainbolt Memorial, Gun Club, Red Pine Revolutionary Collective SCIU twenty six showing it for racial justice, Socialist Alter of Veterans for Peace, Whipple Watch, Workers Solidarity Circle, AFL CIO, Black Cat Workers Collective, all of it, the Democratic Socialists of America, the Grease Pit, which is a local bike shop. Hell yeah, Minute Left CHAB, Minneapolis Federation of Educators Local fifty nine, Minnesota Association of Professional Employees, Minnesota Ice Watch, and Minnesota five oh five oh one.
Speaker 3: Pretty incredible, Uh, pretty incredible collection.
Speaker 4: They're all supposed to be like sending like a council member.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The diagram has is that there's a council member these organizations, council that like is part of Direct Action Minnesota that is like orchestrating all these protests.
Speaker 3: It's incredible. I love to see like kreminology overcoming like a DIY bike shop that had been for a few hours, a few afternoons a week, like it's the Pollit Bureau of Minnesota is populated by like bike co ops. It's just a shadow council, James Shadow. They're running everyway. It's incredible.
Speaker 2: This is what happens when Socialist Alternative and DSA can overcome their differences and support Council copyedism to send a member to Direct Action Minnesota. High Council, Black and Red United Yet it's incredible stuff. Now, of course, none of these organizations themselves have actually faced charges stemming from this investigation. But this investigation did result in fifteen people being indicted on quote, conspiracy to impede or injure a federal officer for allegedly planning to block a roadway, among a few other charges against specific individuals for participating in ice rapid response. So although DSA, the Grease Pit and like SCIU are not themselves as organizations you know, charged this this sort of huge, like a very broad investigation into into into nonprofit organizations, into electoral organizations, into labor unions, this did result in charges against specific people, many of whom are not part of these you know, fifteen fifteen council member organizations. The defense lawyer Kevin Riach wrote in emotion, quote Homeland Security Investigations investigation extended far beyond any potential threat to law enforcement safety. It concluded, with no evidence but obvious political animus, that numerous Twin cities, unions, and nonprofit organizations were involved in a widespread conspiracy to violate eighteen USC. One one one assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers or employees, and it surveiled and surptitiously gathered financial records generated by these organizations, despite the lack of any connection between those organizations and criminal conduct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's co intel pro shit. Just it never ended. They're just doing it again. I've always been doing it.
Speaker 2: Yes, And part of what these new docs reveal is is much more details on like the covert surveillance of organizer meetings at libraries and churches, and the way in the extent that Homeland Security infiltrated signal chats and how undercovers tried to entice people into discussing or committing crimes, and I want to discuss that in more detail in its own episode.
Speaker 3: I think that requires a.
Speaker 2: Very careful focus on, likew how that actually went about, because I think that can very easily be turned into you know, panicking or maybe overstating certain things regarding you know, where ICE the ones actually you know, directing all the protests against Ice, and like no, obviously not so. I think that that requires a distinct focus. Specifically in these core documents, there's a there's a reference to an undercover discussing with someone at like a sunrise movement meeting about getting more involved in direct actions and maybe building quote unquote devices for direct actions. So it's that kind of stuff and I want to discuss that more in detail. But this new Batchel Corps documents in this case has revealed a lot about about how this investigation went. How it started off very very broad against a lot of organizations and like what you know, national security presdential memory and them number seven wrote about, you know, looking to the finances of a lot of different nonprofit groups. But then from there realizing that maybe they are not going to be able to prosecute all these unions for terrorist financing. Instead they find fifteen people who are engaged in firstmen in activity that they think they could maybe you know, turn into an Antifa boogieman and get that past a grand jury, because you certainly could not get the rest of this shit past a grand jury.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Talking of like pushing the back boundaries of the Constitution with regards to policing as a good tie into this next piece that I have, which is to talk about the national defense areas. So the DOJ has issued a new opinion this week suggesting the military forces in the national defense areas that span that much of the border can now detain people not just inside the NDA, but also near the NDA who leave it before they have time to arrest them. If you're not familiar with the NDA, these areas along the border wall that have been transferred to the military and are being managed as extensions of military bases. For example, NDA number three, the California NDA begins I think at the western edge of Otai mount of Wilderness, stretches all the way to the Arizona border in Imperial County. That is an extension of Nafel Centro So. That's Naval Air Facility El Centro So that's patrolled by marines. The New Mexico one is an extension of Fort Huachuca and that's patrolled by the Army. There is one Texas, which is an extension for Bliss for bless Spanzer's two states. Better that it goes that NDA goes into Texas. More the bases themselves are being extended. Therefore, the logic goes from the Justice Department that they are not violating the Poscomatatis Act because there are recognized exemptions they say for military installations. So they're saying because the base is being extended to generally but not always. It is the Roosevelt Reservation, right, which is a sixty foot area to the north of the physical border, but some of these NDA's span areas larger than that. They are claiming that that area is therefore exempt from PCA. If the military is prosecuting or in this case, arresting or detaining people for trespassing on a military installation, right, they think that the military can also enforce federal law on its installation. So by definition, anyone ewie entry without inspection right, so that someone entering between ports of entry, anybody doing that in an NDA, which is a large amount of southern border right now, would be trespersoning on military installation. Right. You can also see in this opinion they they're like hinting it, adding more NDAs soon. This is the same legal reasoning that they are using. Claim it is illegal to photograph things inside an NDA. I think this one is incredibly suspect. Right, So the statutory law does ban photography of quote, certain vital military or naval installations or equipment. But I think you'd have a very hard time arguing in court that like a pile of razor wire ands and rocks is vital military equipment. But that's what they're going with. Right. This is important because what we are seeing here is the Trump administration pushing at the boundaries of constitutionally what it can do. And as I've said hundreds of times on the show over the last four years, this always starts at the border, and it never stays at the border. Right. Everything we see with mass surveillance now has been a reality in border communities for some time. Everything we see with the increased presence of ICE of CBP, this has been something that border communities have dealt with.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: This is this particularly violent form of law enforcement that is particularly unaccountable. If we see this at the border, and they get away with it at the border, then I'm sure it will continue in other places. It doesn't take like a brain genius to look at, for instance, what happened in Portland six years ago, right, and see how we could edge towards the PCA Poscombat Artist Act waivers in other parts of the United States as well. So I think this is worth keeping an eye on, and like I would like it to get more attention in reporting.
Speaker 2: Let's go on an ad break and then we'll discuss in honor of Lindsagram the US military.
Speaker 3: Who we support, but we don't know where they go.
Speaker 2: All right, there's a lot of military news this week. That ship does not look like it's doing too well. Let's let's start with the sad boat.
Speaker 1: That sad boat. Anyone here old enough to have watched the Love Boat on Nick at Night?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: No, okay, all.
Speaker 3: Right, well he just didn't have that where I grew robot.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's hurtful. This is all very hurtful. Anyway, The sad boat is the USS Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 3: How sad is this? Yeah? Yeah, where is it? Sad? Well?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, miya, you want to you want to start?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So so the US is Abraham Lincoln. It's it's actually funny because we have now reached a point where when you say the sad boat, I actually couldn't tell which of the boats you were referring to, because.
Speaker 1: It was the Jerry Ford before it was the Abraham Lincoln, and the Jerald Ford had longer to be sad.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: There was also a destroyer deployee. This is all trying to see where the power was out for three days?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they didn't have running water, which one was it where they were blocking up all the toilets, but like jamming, there was toilet paper.
Speaker 1: That's the Jerry Ford and I think the Lincoln, all of our newest supercarriers have serious issues with the bathroom plumbing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the primary means of First Amendment expression that is available to say.
Speaker 1: They practice the two man poop over the side technique, which is an actual thing they have to do whenever the bathrooms don't work.
Speaker 4: Which it's it's so funny reading about these ships and being like this, this is shit from like my like slumlord fucking apartments in Chicago.
Speaker 1: They're happeningxcept for the dods your slum lord.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they're happening. Award like the most like the most.
Speaker 4: Advanced and expensive military and human history. Oh god, where do we even want to start with with the USS Abraham Lincoln. I I guess, I guess, I guess we could start with the fact that they have been hanging nets over the side of of the aircraft carrier because sailors keep trying to jump off to kill themselves, a thing that I last saw with like Fox Confactories and Shensen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the last time I heard that as well. Yeah, but at least in Shenzend, to my knowledge, nobody is shitting into the nets, which appears to be from what Roba has said.
Speaker 1: You know, the shitting would be incidental.
Speaker 3: We have covered on this show before.
Speaker 4: I think it was was it ten, I think was the one where they're they're they're their Chinese branch had like timers over the toilets to show how long you say that would not would not rule that out in Shenzend as well. Yeah, but this ship has not been getting resupplied. It has been out for significantly longer than the the the original plant duration. The sailors are just kind of trapped on board. Sailors who have you know, attempted to commit suicide because they've been stuck on this fucking ship are getting like like their careers destroyed because of this. Oh wow, it's just a nightmare. And this is running into one of the what I guess is turning into one of the themes of this week's episode, which is that there were a whole bunch of elements of the US Navy and also of the world economy where them functioning correctly are based on the US not fighting of forever war in Iran and are based on the assumption that eventually this is going to end. Yeah, and it's just not. And so this ship is just also just physically breaking down.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, they're running low on all of the necessities, and part of that is because of the success of Iran's attacks on bases like US bases overseas and US bases and like foreign countries. There was an article that came out just within the last couple of days on August fourteenth in the New York Times by John Ismay that traced a lot of the supply issues that the Abraham Lincoln's been having for its entire deployment to like right after the first day of the war, when Iran launched a massive attack on a US Navy base in Bahrain, which destroyed a massive logistics hub that the Navy has relied on basically the entirety of the Global War on tear up to the present moment, and that's what's forced them to switch over to using Diego Garcia as a supply hub. If you remember, Keir Starmer over in the UK initially was like, no, you guys can't use Diego Garcia as as like the supply hub for your legal war, and then immediately changed his mind when he got threatened a little.
Speaker 3: Bit hub bravest, who are in good stuff? Good stuff? Yeah? I think, like I mean, it's so obvious right that Iran, a country which like the US has been saber rattling out for decades, would very obviously have a plan of what to do in the event that the United States struck it and they executed their plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Trump, for his part, has repeatedly stated that the length of the deployment of the Lincoln and the Ford before it are not big deals. When he was asked earlier this week if carry deployments were too long, he responded, no, no, no, not nearly long enough.
Speaker 3: See he's really gonna get into it with Linday Graham's sister over this one.
Speaker 4: No, she's it's also she's just been very personally meddling with and fucking with a bunch of Navy stuff that there's there's a whole kind of there's a whole kind of side drama to this story where Trump has ordered the Navy to go back to using steam catapults to like launch aircraft off of the deck of the ship, which is like a significantly worse thing than the electromagnetic systems that the Navy has been using. But Trump like heard that that some pilot liked them a long time ago, and so he's been trying to force the entire Navy to do this since the first administration, and he's finally succeeded, which means they're going to have to like refit like forty percent of these ships, and they're probably gonna have to just design new ships because the ships are not designed around having these things, and they're just going to be worse because the Emperor has decided that he likes steam catapults.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, no, no, there's there's a piece in the Guardian. Just about a week ago, Trump orders Pentagon to redesigned US aircraft carriers to use steam.
Speaker 3: Catapult solage jests yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he thought the digital systems were too complicated. I had missed this in the long list of like bullshit insane military stuff.
Speaker 3: He's reason yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He signed a National Security memorandum directing Pete Hegseth and the acting Navy Secretary to make this change. That's great, that's good.
Speaker 4: It's this astonishing combination of like, she's made the cardinal mistake that all of these people make, which is that American military and economic supremacy is premised on having the world's most expensive army and not using it. Yeah, and now he's used it. And then also he's doing all of this weird emperor fucking with it stuff at the same time.
Speaker 1: There's amazing quotes from this Apparently it started back in twenty seventeen when he told Time magazine about a conversation that he'd had with an unnamed Navy officer. Quote, So, I said, what's this, sir? This is our digital catapult system. Trump went on. It sounded bad to me. Digital. They have digital? What is digital? And it's very complicated. You have to be oured Einstein to figure it out. And I said, And now they want to buy more aircraft carriers. I said, what system are you going to be, sir? We're staying with digital. I said, no, you're not. You're going to goddamn steam. The digital costs hundreds of millions of dollars more money, and it's no good.
Speaker 3: He's also trying to get them to move the fucking controlled how of the aircraft carriers into the middle of the ship. According to the Washington Post.
Speaker 1: This is beautiful stuff. I hope he gets his way. I hope he gets his way to'll protect the rest of the world from us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the rest of the world would do better if all these ships were not deployed right now. This isn't Yeah, outstanding, great stuff.
Speaker 1: Great, amazing shit, Oh god.
Speaker 3: Very normal. This is how this is how successful military is organized.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I should point out that, like the latest statistics on people winted in action now suggested they're about seven hundred US people who've been wounded in a six month operation.
Speaker 2: Allegedly, the Washington is coming in to replace the Lincoln. Unclear what will happen to the destroyers and also unclear when this is actually going to happen.
Speaker 3: The destroyers have to come back so they can put a mast on them, yeah, because that looks more epic, and a big fucking cannon, like a black powder cannon on the front. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The last I heard from Trump, he said that a replacement for the Lincoln is quote moving right now or very shortly, and it's being replaced with another very similar ship. So that's what we've got so far. It is worth noting just in terms of a general update on the situation in Iran, that the cease fire that no one has really been holding to has come to an end or is in the process of coming to an end, and does not look like it's going to be renewed. For all of the good that that did everybody over the last sixty days or so. Yeah, the Trump administration has gone back and forth. Up until earlier this week, he had been claiming that he was in that the US was in active talks with Iran, but he said earlier this Tuesday that the US is not in any talks with Iran and has no plans to start new ones. This is around the same time that he started saying that the Strait of Hormus is open and that the US is going to take it and make it a new US territory. This has just been something he released as a series of truth posts or truths, including one showing a map that circled the Strait of horm Moves with the words new US territory straight of Hormos above and below.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: So, again hard to say what's going to happen here other than that oil prizes are continuing to rise. The same day, that he announced that there was no we're no talks going on, and that the ceasefire was not going to be extended. US forces fired on a Panama flag ship, and around the same time Iran struck a ship as well, killing at least one sailor. Since the war began, seventeen sailors have been killed in sixty five attacks. Most of those have been the result of Ranian strikes, but three of those deaths have been caused by a US Navy ship that struck a merchant ship in June. So sailors are getting killed all around the USS. Abraham Lincoln's probably getting rotated out. The CeaseFire's over, and I guess we're trying to take the straight although it's I mean, there's no way to know what any of this actually means or what Trump's going to do. He could announce that they've got a new ceasefire tomorrow, like it would be silly to take any of this as a final word on anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me pick up on that where Robo left off fairly, it does appay of it. In response to Trump continuing to just post insane stuff, Iran has been having talked with Aman, probably talking about like joint tolling the Strait, right, which is something we spoken about a lot on in this podcast. Trump did interview with Trey Yinks. If you're not familiar with Trey Yinks, his job is to kind of be a credulous, nodding head to broadcast shit that Donald Trump says. His chief foreign correspondent Fox Now.
Speaker 8: I asked the President about these parallel talks that are taking place between Iran and Oman about control of the Strait of hor moves, and the President told Fox News, if Oman gets in the way, we'll bomb the s out of them.
Speaker 3: That is Donald Trump threatening to bomb the shit out of Amman. A fantastic u turn in the United States policy. This is a wild thing for him to be saying. Right, this is a country that obs the US has had previously good relations with. Yeah, this is this is like a CIA outpost, like brand new country to do to do Middle East war with. Yeah, exactly right. We've we're running out of countries. We're having to turn on our own. Trump has also claimed in the same interviews Tree y Inks he has a back channel to the IRGC.
Speaker 8: Interestingly, President Trump confirmed to Fox News that there is a back channel.
Speaker 3: With the IRGC.
Speaker 8: These are the hardline officials inside of Iran, and that the United States and officials in Washington are speaking directly with IRGC officials in Iran.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there he's talking about the United States negotiate directly with IGC. I would assume that they have had back channels in the IIGC, right like that, That is something one would assume. Yeah, this is very normal when you have two states of this size which are frequently kind of squaring off against each other, and generally it is something that can be used to de escalate conflict. Obviously, that ain't happening right now. It was later reported that these and you don't have to be a brain genius to work out that these probably came through the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, right southern Kurdistan. In related news, Iran then attempted a drone strike on Barzani. What yes, President of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Yeah, they sent two drones to Barzani's residents, I believe. What the fuck? Yeah, sorry I missed this. Why was this not for a pigeon? What the hell? Yes, they sent two drones to the office of the Kurdistan Region Prime Minister of sil Barzani and the residents of the head of the Kurdistan Region's Security Agency. The drones obviously did not cause any casualty. They think they were intercepted. This was reported by Axios right that this this link between Southern Kurdistan and the ILGC back channel was reported by Axios on the sixteenth and then on the seventeenth, Iran attempted to drone strike masou Bazani, the Prime Minister of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Yeah, they attempt to drone strike his office and the residents of the Kurdistan Region Security Agency, both in the bill province of Kurdistan. And like this again is like I have've reported extensively. I think that Iran is bombing southern Kordistan and has been for some time. But this is a hell of an escalation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've tried to assas like, but Brazoni is like the political figure in this part of Kurdistan. Like yeah, and like the Brazoni family has been has been a political faction powerful enough that like a lot of politics revolves around whether you're not you're like in their client networks for a long long time. This is this is kind of like trying to like, I mean again, he literally is like the prime Minister of Raki Kursia, Like this is this is like attempting to assassinate the prime minister.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, staggering escalation. Like Barzani zeated I tweeted next that it was dangerous escalation, a direct threat to the security instability of the curds down region. He's not wrong. Yeah. When you combine this with the US having a scheduled withdrawal from Iraq, right, like this is bad and like it is very clear that Iraq is continuing and even escalating its policy of punishing the Curds for United States aggression. Right, there's this perception that the curds in US are like always aligned. As Roberts said, Iran has continued to strike vessals and straightforward moves. What interesting about this recent strike and the number of strikes that came in the days before it is that normally there has been a pattern by which the bombing relaxes. Iran strikes a vessel, the US bombs Iran, things peter out lower intensity, Iran strikes a vessel, the US hits Iran, right, Like, yeah, yeah, the US has not hit Iran yet in response to these most recent ones. And I think part of the reason that might be is something we've talked about before, that the United States is not capable now of doing what it did in February, Like it has significantly diminished it's stockpiles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by an estimate around seventy percent plus depending on the munition. In terms of like our long range like cruise missiles and our interceptors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so like just to dejog in that for people, that's like attack and defense. Right, it's your ability to hit Iran and also your ability to stop Iranian.
Speaker 1: It's all the stuff that lets us Hitterron without endangering the lives of US airmen, And it's what allows us to defend our bases and all of the Allied bases and increasingly fuel infrastructure in the region. Right. And it's low enough that in part why they don't want to continue burning more even though they have like a third or more left, is that they have to keep a stockpile in case shit goes down with China or expands with Russia. Right, Like these are our our primary weapons with Iran, they're completely unnecessary.
Speaker 3: Or a man yeah, or are new worth of moont Yeah, if we.
Speaker 1: Were to theoretically get into any kind of anything approaching a near peer conflict when on a good spot, would be our only weapons other than nukes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I know we're going to come back to the US like defense procurement situation. But I do want to just point out that the President. I don't know if this is related to the fact that gas prices are still bonkers six month into this, but he has posted an air image of a trima version of himself ripping the Keystone pipeline out of the ground with a banner reading buried by Biden in the background. Not clear if he understands how pipelines work. What, Yeah, your guess is as good as mine on that one. Like it's it's it's I mean, yeah, let me just draw up the link. I guess sometimes I'll just scroll this true social page. It's it's it's it's wild up in there. But that is not a task for the faint of heart. No, Like, this is one of the things I do for work. You know that traumatizes me. I've put it in the chat, the zoom chat.
Speaker 2: We don't want our oil in the ground in those pipespeet, we want it straight from the straight of horror moves in barrels.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, right, like what is he thinking? What if you think the Keystone pipeline I should have not also has a plaque fixed to it that says Keystone pipeline completely free energy jobs America first now, and they're they're buried by Biden is on a gravestone. The pipeline also has some handles. Trump's kind of in sort of a stable wide stance. They're pulling it out the ground like it's got roots on it. I don't know what the fuck is going on here, But there are also some soldiers in the background, like underneath an American flag.
Speaker 4: So yeah, this is the guy who just decided we were at warworth a run and now was killed a shit ton of.
Speaker 3: People over it. Yeah, I guess now the response to the war with the run and gas prices being up is more pipelines at home, which is sick. Like I should add, I guess there is a continuing ecological disaster in the straight uform moves because people keep shooting boats which are full of fuel. Yeah, and Iran it's having to clean up these oil spills.
Speaker 1: Well, there's also a further ecological disaster, and that you have an enormous fleet of vessels that are just sitting around waiting and accumulating a huge number of different kind of like mollusks that you don't want to spread around the world that are definitely and it's also getting stuff is getting sucked into like their water tanks and they're what we call their ballast tanks and shit that's going to get shut squirted out somewhere else. Like there's a lot of potential problems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there are some procedures for like dumping ballast and stuff, but yeah, this is all the problem is, right, everything is delayed. Every shipping company is losing money handover fist. Yeah, and they're gonna want to get moving pretty fast when if the straightform moos ever opens again. And yeah, we will see more environmental damages. Like every war is an ecological disaster, but this one that isn't getting as much reporting on. But it's great that we're bringing that home with the Keystone pipelines, so we'll get a little piece of that too.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to give an update on a story because I talked about two weeks ago something like that about the General Dynamics Artillery shell factory in Meisquite, Texas that was meant to by now be producing somewhere between twenty and ideally thirty thousand shells a month of specifically the kind that we're being used most rapidly in Ukraine before Ukraine pivoted to using drones for a lot of stuff. I mean, they're still burning through one fifty five's but like that was, I mean, they incurred a shell debt of something like three point six million shells in the United States as a result of that, And so it's a massive issue to get these shells being produced because in any kind of modern war we're going to be burning through a shitload of them. We have one hundred something years worth of heavy artillery in warfare to know that you never have enough shells. So this is a problem the US has been trying to get its handle on for a while, and as I noted, this factory that was supposed to be producing like a third of the total of all the shells in the uni United States has not produced any so far. And a few days after I discussed that on ed Jesse Coburn at Pro Publica published a beautiful investigation into that General Dynamics factory and.
Speaker 3: Mesquite that opens with just a great lead.
Speaker 1: A robot was on fire again, and it's talking about the fact that all of this factory is filled with Jesus because it was supposed to meant to be heavily automated, which is why it was supposed to be able to keep up with such a high level of production. It was automated using these robots that had like giant metal arms with clamps for hands, and because of the way they were designed, wound up soaked in oil constantly, and that oil would combust because they were moving steel blocks that had been heated to about eighteen hundred degrees fahrenheit into and out of a machine that also would periodically beuch flame at them, and the robots were not proofed against this much flame. Per car publica article one blaze that summer melted a robots cables, putting an advocamission for a week.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 1: This series of fires in the factory came just a few weeks before Trump administration. Defense officials and executives for General Dynamics, the company that made the factory, toured and through a gala opening event there to celebrate that it was supposed to be up and running by now. Exploding robots were not the only method of uncontrollable failure that workers had documented at the factory by that point. For one thing, the robotic arms had a tendency to flail uncontrollably and destroy equipment. They also would periodically drop heavy loads at random. The most sensitive and expensive equipment in the entire factory was a machine that was meant to stretch metal in order to make artillery shells. It cracked them nearly constantly. The factory was filled with smoke at all times and was usually over one hundred degrees inside. Every description of the state of the art Arms factory sounds worse than the ones that were operating in World War One. This is probably my favorite part of that article. Then there were the giant press machines, which required regular pounding with a sledgehammer to function property the shaping of nearly every shell. We didn't really have any standardized practice, said Quantel White, a former employee. It was just a bunch of guys taking turns going at the machine with a sledgehammer every night.
Speaker 4: This is warhammer.
Speaker 3: Forty k shit morehammer forty K works a lot better than this.
Speaker 1: There would be a priest be reading from a Bible, there'd be ungeons and oil. Well, there's lots of oil.
Speaker 3: I love this now.
Speaker 1: By last summer, which is when reports first started coming out about the difficulties the factory was having, by that point, General Dynamics had missed eight deadlines to get this thing up and running. Their factory still has yet to produce a single usable shell, despite five hundred and thirty three million dollars in Pentagon funds going towards refurbishing old machines and ordering new ones from Turkey. Even so, the Pentagon continues to sign contracts with General Dynamics, and two months ago the company announced us new solution to all of their ill fortune factories many issues. You guys, guess what the magic bullet that finally is going to fix everything that this factory that doesn't work is supposed to be AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's AI.
Speaker 1: It's it's fucking.
Speaker 3: AI, of course. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Quote a news release from General Dynamics and the new company. The terrence was filled with techno business jargon. AI enabled capabilities and intelligence and connectivity would be added at Mesquite and other General Dynamics factories. The companies wrote, AI transforms production facilities into strategic assets. To Terrence's CEO said on the release, we're building autonomous manufacturing systems that learned, adapt and scale in real time.
Speaker 3: By the way, what that CEO said.
Speaker 1: I'll guarantee was written by Chad Gpt. The whole AI transformed that that's yeah, very clearly. Yeah, these pronouncements have baffled former Mesquite workers. What are they talking about. There's nothing to learn or adapt or scale one set. It's all broken, pro publicized.
Speaker 3: It's really fun because no one who actually works at the factory, and no US military officials who are allowed to speak their minds openly, have had anything positive to say about General Dynamics and how they've proceeded with this project.
Speaker 1: The article quotes a former official in an Army office supervising the factory as saying it's an absolute disaster. The Army should have gone after recovering money from General Dynamics. Yeah, no, I mean they should have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But that gets the central contradiction of the American war machine, which is that the point of it is to give money to defense contractors. You're not actually supposed to have to use the stuff.
Speaker 3: I should say here.
Speaker 1: General Dynamics is one of the companies most responsible for inventing that state of affairs. This is we're going to talk about these folks because they keep coming up when you look into like defense related golduggery and fuckery and like us history. I feel like now is probably is a good time to talk a little bit about their history. We're gonna I'm gonna give a brief overview of these guys because we're in an illegal war that's currently shuffling a fortune to defense contractors, and we should probably talk about one of the most corrupt members of that family. The General Dynamics Corporation was founded at the tail end of the nineteenth century by Isaac Leopold Rice, a businessman and a music coologist who was born in Bavaria and raised in Milwaukee. He made his fortune doing a mix of railroad law and publishing sheet music, and eventually got into the electric battery and vehicle business. This ended with him involved in submarines, because early Navy subs ran on electric power when submerged. In eighteen ninety nine, he purchased the Haulland Torpedo Boat Company and named it the Electric Boat Company. The Electric Boat Company remained a submarine manufacturer after his death in nineteen fourteen, providing subs for not just the US government but the Peruvian government, and gradually spinning up to produce other kinds of boats, including PT boats for the US and Canadian militaries. After World War II, it purchased Convair, which made anti aircraft missiles, jet fighters, and the Atlas rockets used in the first US crewed orbital flight. This new company, a mix of the Electric Boat Company and Convair, became General Dynamics. In more recent decades, General Dynamics became the manufacturers of the feared Tomahawk cruise missile, arguably the most iconic ballistic missile in the entire US arsenal. It also kept making subs, including the famous Los Angeles Class, and as time went on, the company got really really good at corruptly fucking US taxpayers out of their money. Investigative reporting first started shining a light on constant cost overruns and blown budgets in a series of GD defense contracts for a nineteen eighty five Time article by Charles Alexander. A federal grand jury first started investigating the company's cost overruns on submarines in nineteen seventy nine, but dropped the probe in nineteen eighty one for lack of enough evidence of fraud. Now the Justice Apartment has reopened the case in light of new information from p Tecis Veliattis, who in nineteen seventy seven became head of Electric Boat, the company's subuilding division in Groton, Connecticut. His word is hardly unimpeachable. In nineteen eighty three he fled to his native Grease to avoid being tried on charges of perjuring himself before a grand jury and taking one point three million in kickbacks from a subcontractor. Velliadis has produced tapes in company documents that he claims reveal a pattern of waste, corruption and cover up at General Dynamics. In a tape of one talk he had with Lewis the chairman, for example, the chairman suggests that Velliotis reassured James Ashton, a discontented Electric Boat executive, that he is still in the running for a promotion, in order to keep him from popping off about shoddy work at the yard. So we have all of these tapes from this equally shady dude, Velliadis, because nobody who's in a high position in the defense contracting industry is not constantly committing crimes. And the tapes that he provided showed several things that are very familiar to the Mesquite factory case. For one thing, Villiadis provided a nineteen seventy seven tape with the company's executive vice president, Gordon MacDonald, telling him that the company had issued an impossible delivery timetable for the first Trident submarine because the CEO of General Dynamics wanted to quote keep our stock price from sliding. In other words, every time that the stock price slides, you can announce, oh, we're about to release the Trident, and you can get a quick boost in the stock price.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As a result of this kind of fuckery, the sub was not produced until two years after this date. Now that's pretty bad. But the incident that actually sparked the first known criminal investigation of a defense contractor came in nineteen eighty three when General Dynamics tried to charge the Air Force ninety six hundred dollars for a four inch long wrench. And this revealed a bunch of If you've ever heard stories of like six thousand dollars wrenches and ya dah, yeah, no, forty four thousand dollars plungers. It's General Dynamics that people are talking about. That was a real series of like news articles and eventually congressional investigations into the fact that they were charging cerred amounts of money for bullshit. Now, part of the reason for this was that, like Navy and Air Force, procurement was completely fucked in this point, and they just did not keep a backlog of like the material they needed to repair their shit on hand. But a lot of it was just massive rampant corruption with companies like General Dynamics in particular. Now, charges like this inspired further investigations into how GD functioned, and this eventually led to a congressional inquiry. It came out that in nineteen eighty two, General Dynamics had asked the Pentagon to pay almost nineteen million dollars in overhead costs for their company HQ. These were not what you'd call unavoidable expenses. Quote four hundred and ninety one eight hundred and forty dollars for Lewis's that's the chairman's personal flights on corporate jets, often to and from his farm in Albany, five hundred and thirty eight thousand, seven hundred and eighty one dollars for contributions in memberships, including country club fees for top executives, and one hundred and fifty five dollars for the kinneling of a dog named Firston while its owner, a General Dynamics executive, attended a company conference at a South Carolina resort. At last week's hearing, Congressman Dingle Quiz Lewis out a five hundred and seventy one dollars charge for a king size sert, a perfect sleeper mattress, and a box spring set, which was delivered to the Clayton Inn in suburban Saint Louis. It was for mister Velliadis, SI Lewis, who explained that the executive said he needed the bed for times he came to Saint Louis for meetings, added Gordon McDonald, a General Dynamics executive Vice president. Mister Velliattis, being a very large man, complained so much to the secretary of the company that he got tired of hearing it and bought the bed. Valiatdis denied that the bed was for him. Just very funny stories consistently when you look into like eighties defense contractor procurement issues, specifically around General Dynamics. Now, I know what you're wondering, how did they get away with such corruption? Well, that nineteen million dollars the US government spent on complete bullshit fees was matched with one point twenty four million dollars in the General Dynamics accountman purely to entertain Pentagon officials, in nineteen seventy seven, they gave a twenty five dollars diamond earring set to the wife of Admiral Hyman rickover head of the nuclear propulsion program.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: To be fair to Hymen, the real reason they were trying to butter him up is that he had repeatedly complained about the company. But this is the kind of shit that they have been doing forever. Like the fact that they have now spent half a billion dollars of taxpayer money on a factory that does not work is nothing new to General Dynamics. And I'm sure they've now promised to put another two hundred million dollars into the factory and that it'll be producing twenty thousand shells a month at least within a year. I'm sure at some point they'll get at working if they keep shoveling a bunch of money into it. But make no mistake, it will not be General Dynamics money. It will be money one way or the other that US taxpayers have given them that winds up eventually maybe making this factory produce a single shell. Anyway, General Dynamics.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's go on one more hat break and then talk about bones in Florida.
Speaker 3: I guess yeah, wild.
Speaker 4: Speaking of unbelievably corrupt bullshit that is directly tied to the American war efforts in Iran. Okay, so bonds are not normally an extremely exciting topic. So let's start off with the glaring part, which is that early this week, the yields on US Treasury bonds, specifically thirty year teen notes, hit highs not seen since two thousand and seven, several weeks before the collapse of the American stock markets. It's also noted by several analysts that the other times that we've seen peaks like this were like nineteen thirty nine, right before that, and I think there was another one of these I forgot I forgot the other economic collapse where there was a there was a giant one of these right before it.
Speaker 3: Like the nineteen twenty nineteen thirty one.
Speaker 4: Is that like black fry, Yeah, there's one more. I think it might have been like the dot com bubble or something. I forget WHI judtle. But the experts suggests that bond markets only do this when they are in extreme distress. So what does this actually mean. Bonds are a thing that, in this case, you can get from the governments and you pay the government money and the government promises you to pay back more money later, and the yield is like how much more money they're they're giving you back? Right, High yields on bonds means, you know, an increase of the cost of borrowing, and high yields on US government bonds is a sign of growing distrust in a long run economic feature of the US. Usually, these bonds pay like absolute shit. But the reason they pay like shit is that it's the US government. You're guaranteed to get your money back, so they're supposed to be an extremely safe asset, right, And when these rates are up, it's because everyone is, you know, looking at something happening in the market and something happening structurally in the US economy and panicking. Now one of those things is they're looking at the US debt and panicking, and you know, whether or not that's like a great way to evaluate how panicky they have to be is an open question. This has been one of the lines that's been coming out is that they're looking at you know, the US date and increasing faster, if than expected. The main thing, however, that has been setting off this particular wave of like mass selling of bonds is the collapse of that sixty day piece deal that Robert was talking about earlier, which you know, I don't think anyone who was actually following the conflict really thought that was going to go anywhere. But the thing that was important about it, strategically from the American side was that this was this was the thing that investors in financial annas were hanging their hat on. And you know, these these people had convinced themselves that this process was actually going to result in the end of the war, and that quickly ending the war was going to you know, restore economic growth, etc.
Speaker 3: Etc.
Speaker 4: And stave off inflation. And this was sort of the week as as as I mentioned earlier, the Brent crude index eight ninety dollars a barrel, and the peace talks formally completely collapsed.
Speaker 3: That there was a growing real lization that this war is not going to end.
Speaker 4: The economic conditions caused by the war not ending out going to continue, which means inflation is going to increase and it's going to have sort of far reaching and long lasting economic impacts. Now, this is a global squeeze that's been hitting most developed countries. Japan has also been very badly hit by these sort of shocks in bond yields. Now, what's interesting reading analysis of it is that you're actually starting to see a lot of firms. JP Morgan is a good example of this. Were JP Morgan for like, basically since the war has started. JP Morgan's analysis has been the war is going to end, and when the war ends, things will go back to normal. So we're just going to keep projecting things are going to be fine. They are finally pointing out the things that we've been saying, which is that yeah, no, the war is not ending and it's wreaking havoc on global supply chains. Now, the other thing that's been causing this run up there's two sides of this back to back that seem very con which is, on the one hand, there is growing fear over the fact that the AI bubble looks like it's going to collapse, right and we've seen this was sort of like the kost b shock I was talking about earlier, where you know, the stock market like ten five to ten percent of the stock markets creates stock markets value keeps disappearing overnight and then reappearing the next day. But then and this is sort of fascinating. One of the other things that's been happening is that there has been an unbelievable proliferation of bonds issued by AI companies because these AI companies are having to go to the finance markets to like fund all of their weird data center bullshit. And this has gotten a bunch of investors to pull their money out of very safe US bonds and put them into hideously unsafe AI bonds, a thing which I don't even this obviously is going to go catastrophically wrong. I don't have a sophisticated analysis for why, like taking money out of the US government and putting it into this AI company is going to create a transcendent God is a terrible idea. And what we've kind of seen in the past couple of days as these bond yields have risen as from a combination of these factors, is it looks like the beginning of the moment where wildly coyote like looks down and realizes that he's off the cliff. Now, on Wednesday, the Treasury began a massive buyback of treasury bonds. I going to quote from CNBC here. Under the accelerated buy back, Treasury, led by Secretary Scott Bessant, will target the ten to twenty year and twenty to thirty year portion of the market, which has seen a buyer strike since late June. The government will at least double the maximum size of its buyback operations from two billion to quote at least four billion dollars, according to an announcement from the Department. Now, in terms of the actual size of this buyback, which is like not a great sign when the is buying back its own debt in an attempt to stabilize the market. But that's not you know, in terms of the size of like the US bob market, that's really a drop in the bucket. But it does seem to have temporarily sort of stabilized the markets on the belief that if things continue to go run, the government will step in. However, the actual underlying economic metrics remain bad for everything in the economy that isn't ai and this is one of the things that traditionally heralds a fall in economic collapse. Now, it's also worth noting that, you know, cos B, for example, keeps hitting its circuit breaker, and that's something that also traditionally has been like the prelude to collapse, and it hasn't yet. So you know, we're we're in it. We're in a deeply weird and semi unprecedented time in the markets and in sort of the behavior of these investors and financial actors.
Speaker 3: But it's not good. It's my, it's my.
Speaker 4: It's like a conclusion on the state of the US bond market and the global economy at large.
Speaker 2: Let's close with elections, and I want to start with a quick correction for one or two of my last election segments. I keep calling Governor Tim Walls Mike Walls, and I don't know why this keeps happening. I picture his face in my mind, and I just like autocreks to Mike. I've caught this a few times and fixed it before the episode goes out, but this pastime I did not. Now Slightly more importantly, I also accidentally referred to Mike Rogers in Michigan as the incumbent, and that is not true. This Senate race is open and Rogers's former congressmen. I know these are smaller details and stories that are focused more on how DSA and left wing candidates are running their campaigns, but these types of details are still important to get right, and I regret the error. Let's turn to Florida, where I'm sad to say the resistance has been defeated.
Speaker 1: Now, Garrison, are you talking about Florida the state or flow Rida of the musical? Since now you.
Speaker 3: Missed a good chance to pivot with talking of regret, and then.
Speaker 2: I thought about doing that, but I'm like, no, I would rather not, because I'm just saying I still think there's hope for Florida. I said, bold take, but American hero Alexander Vinman will not be that hope.
Speaker 3: You'll be assuring another correction for that bad boy. Let me tell you.
Speaker 2: I'm talking in the grands Okay, I'm talking about in the cosmic sense, not in the short term.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I agree with you. I have hope for the Ferridianes.
Speaker 2: The resistance has been defeated. American hero Alexander Vinman, the whistleblower who testified in Trump's first impeachment hearings, has lost the Democratic nomination for US Senate in an upset to Angie Nixon, a state representative from Jacksonville and a Democratic socialist. Nixon won by one hundred and fifty thousand votes. Oh wow, fifty six point one percent to Vinman's forty three point nine. And this, this, this is a big upset because Nixon was out fundraised sixteen to one. She had just under a million dollars while vinmin raked in over sixteen million. And I think, like a resist lib hero, losing a primary to a socialist in Florida is astounding.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, Nixon's a union organizer who's running on Medicare for all, taxing billionaires for childcare, universal jobs program, and opposition to Israel. She was endorsed by Alano mar Or. She had a t leave needed Turner, Cory Bush, and Miss Rachel who's listed in the National Leaders section of Nixon's.
Speaker 4: Website good for her, our only truly good national leader.
Speaker 3: No complaints with her. Miss Rachel show more spine than most of Congress in the last few years.
Speaker 2: Nixon was also endorsed by Working Families Party, Local Union's JVP, Jewish Hoyscher, Peace and track Apak. She joined DSA this past June, but did not pursue an endorsement, so is a relative newcomer to DSA as an organization. Do you want to play this clip from her back in November twenty twenty three, a month into Israel's attacks on Gaza, we are at ten thousand dead Palestinians.
Speaker 3: How man it will be enough?
Speaker 7: I also.
Speaker 2: One of the lawmaker's Republican Michelle Saltzman, just shouted out to all of them in the hearing. I'll continue the clip, Jesus.
Speaker 3: One of my colleagues just said all of them.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: One of my colleagues said all of them.
Speaker 2: One of my colleagues also stated that this is gonna dry up their fundraising if we vote on this resolution.
Speaker 3: I also want that like, that's what we've become in this st eight, That's what we've become.
Speaker 2: An estate well, we don't care about innocent babies that don't even get the opportunity to blow out their first birthday, Candell.
Speaker 3: So this was a ceasefire resolution just a month in two the war. Do you have the sense of like turnout versus like electoral Like I'm wondering, is this a like people who turn out for primaries tend to be like a more politically engaged and people who turn out for generals or is this a like this because it's she clearly has, like just looking at that speech, she has a genuine commitment what she's talking about, and I think people yes, appreciate that more than like you said, a resist lib hero.
Speaker 2: Definitely, and I mean certainly, I think in generals can attract a bigger portion of the electorate. Yeah, but there's there's a few things going on that created this this pretty pretty big difference invots, like over one hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's big and.
Speaker 2: Like in my mind, this relates to two of the elections last week in Minnesota and Wisconsin. The my Pillow primary, where Trump endorsed Mike Lindell lost the Republican governatorial primary to the state Speaker of the House and like this this is kind of like the idea that a national political celebrity can just like waltz into your state and gobble up a nomination. Both Lindell and Alexander Vinman, you know, come from like the Trump world, albeit on opposite side, but it's still part of like like you know, the Trumpian political circuit, and voters rejected both of them in favor of proven state lawmakers, you know, Juanio, a more like regular state level Republican, and Angie Nixon, who's like a community organizer with like deep connections to a lot of a lot of different communities in the state and specifically the working class black community. Now, the other interesting thing that this race kind of continues the conversation on relates to Francesca Hung's loss last week. As as I discussed last week, did not pay for any TV ads, and Nixon only spent sixty thousand on ads, was zero spent on broadcast or cable. Meanwhile, Vinman spent two point two million on ads. That's thirty six times as much as Nixon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Nixon.
Speaker 2: Still wants dumping money off a cliff. That's because she actually ran a real campaign, like on the ground and Vinman did not. He ran an incredibly lazy campaign. He really thought he could just like coast to the nomination based on his resist Live credentials, and you know, while that maybe helped in Palm Beach, it did not help him in the rest of the state, where just he got absolutely trounced by Nixon. Like if you look at like the county map, it's like whoa.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So come November, Nixon will face the incumbent sener their Ashley Moody, the former state ag who Ron de Santis appointed to fill Marco Rubio's Senate seat after he was tapped for Secretary of Stife. And like Rubio is, Rubio has had a strong hole in that seat for decades. So the hope for Florida Democrats is that Ashley Moody won't command as much loyalty at the ballot box as Rubio does, or as Rubio did. Yeah, and maybe and maybe maybe, like a critical one percent of the Republican vote thinks that she's another Nixon. Yeah, yeah, hopefully you never know, but like this could very likely be a much harder uphill battle than even you know, like the Texas Senate race was Hilario. In this recent election, there were around three hundred thousand fewer votes in the Democratic primary than the GOP primary. Like this is this is gonna be a very difficult race to win. Yeah, I don't want to, you know, understate how impressive this primary win like really is. And like I don't think anyone will false Nixon or her politics if she loses in the general.
Speaker 3: I mean someone will someone right a shitty like is this the end of the leftop ed right? They always do it does a massive They will, they will try.
Speaker 2: But like a lot of centrists do not expect Vinman to win if he wins the primaries.
Speaker 4: So like it's it's a Senate seat in Florida. It's like that's right, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: It's It's just I'm reflecting on the fact that like people have taken Hong's result and been like, oh, the progressive left is dead, and then they're still treating Tallarico like he's like the presumptive victor.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then they'll say yeah, but like yeah, I mean, I think one thing we probably should take from Hong's election is that television ads cannot be disposed of so quickly yet at the general. Yeah, I mean it, I mean period like it. I think that's one of the things that definitely hurt her campaign is that they made a big choice not to do TV ads.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't want to write everything down to that, but yeah.
Speaker 2: That was certainly a factor in Wisconsin. Nixon's like ground game in Florida was able to overcome the massive deficit in spending and just not really many fun for TV ads. And I think yeah, because this is a Florida Senate see that Vindman was not expected to win into general and he was the presumptive nominee. But because this race will be so hard to win, it'll be harder to blame her or her politics specifically for losing. I think this race can also be a big opportunity to push the overtin window in Florida and I come November, it will be really interesting to see what the results of this election are because this is a super close race. Even if she still loses, hopefully she will not lose, but if this race even gets to be where it's like more competitive than what it's been for the past like ten fifteen years, I think that could be an interesting look at how much Trump is hurting Republicans in elections, like exactly how upset parts of his base are at the current state of things and to what degree that affects turnout. But also, on the other hand, if Nixon and her politics are able to form a new coalition and attract voters that might not usually vote for debtmocrats, might not usually vote for socialists, or might not vote at all. Because even just in this primary, her core voter base was very different than what's currently considered to be DSA's most reliable voters. Nixon did best in districts that were majority non college educated, and that's usually the reverse for a lot of DSA type candidates in other states. So she was getting out a slightly different voter base than what LSIID was getting out than what DSA candidates in New York have been getting out, especially in the primaries. So I think she is someone to watch and could alter what's seen as politically possible in Florida.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want to say briefly also that there is a chance that you know, with how badly the Republicans are doing on generic ballots, I mean, like the good projections right now have them down seven points on just like a generic Democrat orus the publican ballot, like there is a small chance that we get a two thousand and eight style blowout she wins. Which it's not impossible in a way that it usually is. It would be historic, right, it would. Yeah, no, it's it's possible, just extremely unlikely. But like a I don't think it's likely, but it would be like a story, it's more likely than any of the times people have said that Democrats are going to take Texas. So I'll say about this like it's like actually technically possible. So while this is a big win for the left, statewide, DSA candidates did not fare as well in the recently redistricted US House races in Florida. Let's prazily talk about my boy, Oliver Larkin. Larkin was running for House District twenty five. That's Miami, Dodd, Palm Beach and Broward County, not exactly the friendliest waters for an anti Israel socialist. Larkin got sixteen two hundred and eighty four votes, while the incumbent House Rep. Jared Moscowitz won with twenty eight two hundred and ninety four votes. Larkin is DSA endorsed, and he ran a solid campaign with an impressive ground game. Over five hundred volunteers, forty thousand doors knocked seven hundred and fifty thousand calls. He campaigned with Angie Nixon. Also this past month, A Larkin has gone and this is a technical term, a beast mode in TV news interviews. Here's Larkin getting some pushback from a Fox News anchor on abolishing and prosecuting ice.
Speaker 10: What is the number that is fine with you? Is there is there a benchmark? Is it fine how many children can be raped? And it's fine if you're in relation to the immigration community.
Speaker 9: If we're going to talk about children being raped, then we need to hold this pedophile president Donald Trump accountable and all those that have been implicated by the Epstein fissales that the Department of Justice is still not leaking and they've sent a pack after Thomas Massey for having the temerity to accountable pedophiles that are in control of our government.
Speaker 3: Cue, oh, you appreciate your time very much.
Speaker 2: So beyond like attention grabbing moments like that, he's also very clearly articulated the details of his platform and defended it and dsay against bad faith attacks. He's talked about the need for a new past to citizenship and just how cost prohibitive it is for immigrants to maintain the documented status and Trump has made things even harder on purpose to manufacture a political crisis. On Foxy, argued very eloquently against providing Israel with so called defensive weapons, which he rejected as a categorical term. And he's gone toe to toe with Sean AKA Scott Hannity on tax reform earlier this week.
Speaker 3: On Local ten.
Speaker 2: This week in Florida, host Glenna Milberg abruptly cut off her interview with Larkin after he said that Israel has committed a genocide, which she claimed was quote unquote factually incorrect. Now. Also late last week, Lower Lumer and Democrat state Representative Michael Gottlieb tried to shut down a get out the vote rally for Larkin, Angie Nixon, and another DSA candidate, Elijah Manley, called chomp the oligarchy with a I want to say alligator or crocodile on front.
Speaker 3: Don't don't at me. It's going to be an alligator, right, whatever the ones are in Florida, alligator anything we have any indigenous crocodiles.
Speaker 2: Democrats stage Rep. Michael Gottlieb said the rally was quote unquote anti jew and told his constituents to not support the venue hosting the event. Laura Lumer led an online harassment campaign targeting quote jee Hottist Congresswoman Rashida Talib, who was slated to speak at the rally. Lumer said that Telib was quote bringing her band of jew haters to South Florida and said that Oliver Larkin quote unquote hates Jewish people and that he's tried to primary Jared Massowitz because he is Jewish. Now, the venue originally contracted for the rally canceled. They pulled out when the organizers wouldn't remove Rashida Talib as a speaker. The rally was rescheduled for August fourteenth, and the organizers secured a second venue, which also canceled the night before the chomp. The Oligarchy rally was supposed to take place next morning. The organizers found a third location, which was kept secret until hours before the rally, which was then also streamed live, and the owner of that third venue, which did ultimately host the event, said that within hours his phone was bombarded with like six hundred messages from people protesting the rally. This kind of shows, like this, the speed and scale of the harassment campaign led by Lumer and this state Democrat. So unfortunately, you know, Larkin did not win. I'm interested to see what he does next. I think it would be a mistake if he just completely disappears. Think he's a good communicator, whether you know something like DSA national wants to tap into that, or if he wants to work on some other campaigns like Angie Nixon's case campaign, which I think he's he's indicated he'll do. But but after the general be very interested to see what what he does in the future and to close Like at this point in like big cities, you know, in blue states, DSA are left socialist candidates can only really like run to win, like that's that's what you have to do.
Speaker 3: Now, there's no more of this like participation trophies. It's it's you have to you have to win.
Speaker 2: But it's it's also really important for DSA to expand their electoral efforts into red states and districts that are not solid blue and in that vein. I think what DSA has done in Florida. This primary reminds me of what nyc DSA was doing in New York like a decade ago, experimenting, building, organizing campaigns, running candidates. Even if there is a huge uphill battle, campaign volunteers get to you know, get experience, and you find your base of sport that can be built on in future races. And in that sense, I think what they were able to able to pull off, including in some very hostile districts, was was impressive. Now will will continue in some form with Angie Nixon running for Senate these next few months. Finally, finally, before we close, I should mention James fish Back, Enemy of the Pod, the Groyford candidate for governor, came in third place in the GOP gobernatorial primary. He was expected to come in second, so that that is interesting. But Jay Collins instead got second place with almost half a million votes. Oh, he got waxed Byron Donald's the expected winner one with eight hundred and ten thousand votes. Fishback got just less than two hundred thousand, which is way too many votes. Yeah, he should not be He should not be getting that number of votes.
Speaker 3: That is not great.
Speaker 2: His campaign was very tailored to a type of voter and also like places online and locations in the state that the other candidates were not tailoring for. So I don't want to like overstate the sort of impact fishbacks campaign because there was really no one else kind of going after that block, like especially late if Fishback was pivoting very hard into like anti data center stuff very late into the race to try to, you know, attract more voters. Really, so like he was, he was doing stuff that other Republicans just were not doing, and you know, using that sneak o Nick Fuentes asthma Goold endorsement, which which which got him more than one hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 3: Votes, which is not not great. Yeah, it is, it is. It is just over ten percent of the Republican vote. I think Garrison and I made an episode about fish Back, god knows how long ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what he'll He'll he might just try to get some sort of like right wing, far right pundit job in the future.
Speaker 3: We'll see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I want to. I want to also convey Sophie's message of fuck Byron Donald's this guy also sucks. But yeah, yeah, it's it's a Republican primary. They're all going to be like, you're you're in a race with the worst, second worst, and third worst person you've ever seen.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but yeah, that is that is Florida. Yeah, that is our our buy buy annual Florida.
Speaker 3: Check it. If you are in Florida or elsewhere, you can email us. You're seeing the email address cool Zone tips at Proton don't meet. Hey you want it to be encrypted? Sent it from noo the Proton address. Yeah, have fun with that, don't. It's still doing it with the fucking marketing emails. By the way, like every time I think I've blocked a you bastards. Unbelievable.
Speaker 4: Put a transgirl on your couch.
Speaker 3: We reported the news.
Speaker 10: We reported the news.
Speaker 7: It could happen here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool Zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources where it could happen here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.