Speaker 1: Good morning, sweet wirl, and welcome to the Nodunks Podcast presented by FanDuel Tuesday, December sixteenth, twenty twenty five. I'm Jay Skeetz here in the Classic Factory and alongside me, as always task Mellists podcast listeners, this is for you. Next to him, it's my top shot hot boy Trey Kirby. Hey, hey, yo over Yonder making the magic happen. Super producer Jad Hello, there he is, and our special guest today, former Milwaukee Bucks All Star and Olympic gold medalist. And you know what I'm adding to the resume, fantastic new NBA content creator Michael Red. Welcome to the show, guys.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 3: It's been a while since we've been together, but it's always the pleasure to be with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. I should have said, yeah, welcome back to the show because we checked the archives yesterday and Mike, you appeared on an old episode of the Starters backing our NBA TVs in like twenty seventeen. So it's been a long time since we last talked.
Speaker 2: It's almost a decade and.
Speaker 3: I hate to say that, but a big fan of you guys, and with a joy then, and certainly it's a joy now to be a part of.
Speaker 1: Well, we got lots to talk about with you, and you are sort of like in the content creating space, and we'll get into that in some of the videos you've put up. But let's start with the Nixon Spurs set for tonight's NBA Cup in Vegas, where the tournament's going to produce a third champion in three years, no matter what happens, no matter who wins. I'm interested to hear your thoughts as a former player who didn't have this NBA Cup when you were hooping, what do you think about this whole thing and both you know, if you were playing, and I guess as a fan as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been fun to watch. I think.
Speaker 3: It gives fans something else to get excited about, to be engaged with in the middle of the season. And you couldn't have two better teams at the forefront of this right now with the Spurs and the Nicks. Obviously, this is the third year of the tournament. I don't think it's been fully optimized just yet, but it's trending and it's going to be a phenomenal final and I'll be watching.
Speaker 1: Are there things that you would change to the Cup? Like in terms of you know, we're already getting rid of the semifinals in Vegas out of neutral site, But do you think they should go worldwide with this? Do you think it should just be in the better seeds of the higher seeds home place?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 4: How can it be optimized? Yeah said, yeah, yeah, I think globally.
Speaker 2: I think it will go globally.
Speaker 3: And now I'm not saying it should, but I think it can. It could certainly do that with our fans globally. I don't see why I wouldn't go global. And there's way above my pay grade to be able to pay creatively fair fair enough.
Speaker 1: Are you envious of these guys playing for you know, half a million dollars there if they win this thing tonight, Like, would that have incentivized you when you were playing in their days?
Speaker 2: No, No, not at all.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting when I played, you know, and the money that we during that time seemed astronomical compared to the guys who played in the.
Speaker 2: Eighties and seventies.
Speaker 3: We would hear you know, and Mike Gore, I can't believe you're making so much money, and so I didn't want to be that guy when I retired to be jealous or be envious of what these guys are making. We fought for this in our collective bargain agreements over the years, and the players deserve everything they get.
Speaker 5: No NBA Cup when you played, but you did make a Final four back in your college days. What's your mindset going into like these single elimination games when it's all or nothing out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 3: It's so fun, and I think it's a great format for the players. Sometimes in the dog days of winter during the season, you know, you find yourself. You know, for us it was four games and five nights. This reinvigorous the players. It gets them me more engaged because they're shooting for a midseason goal and you're going to see some great basketball to night, because at the end of the day, the players want to win, they want to compete, and they want to win, no matter if it's the finals or the Cups. So I think the quality of basketball is gonna shine through tonight.
Speaker 1: Do you have a prediction for Spurs Nicks here tonight?
Speaker 3: Ooh, the Spurs aren't a heater right now, then you get a chance to be Okay, see, you've got to probably favor them. Although the Knicks with coach Mike Brown look great and they're trending in the right direction. I think I have the Spurs tonight because of how they've been playing. But what it's time to close. There's not to meet closers better than Jayalen Brunson. And I'm biased because he's left handed, but I just love his game and his moxie in the fourth quarter, and so it's going to be a barn burner.
Speaker 2: I do have the Spurs pulling out, though.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, hopefully it's an entertaining game. Let's talk a little bit about last night and in particular one awesome game from an eighteen year old kid. The Jazz did beat the MAVs.
Speaker 4: They did.
Speaker 1: I want to make note of that. They had some great performances. One forty one thirty three despite a career high forty two points from koup Flag, becoming the first eighteen year old in league history to score forty plus. He's playing the best basketball I think we've seen over these last few weeks. He's really putting it together. What are your thoughts on Cooper Flag's you know, twenty five plus first games here and just this rookie class in general, because this looks like a stocked class with all the performances from these guys.
Speaker 3: No question, it is a deep class to your point, But with Cooper, it was a matter of time that he kind of figures it out, and so he couldn't be under better tutelage with Jason Kidd as his coach to help him kind of figure it out.
Speaker 2: Any rookie's going to.
Speaker 3: Go through an adjustment period and the first few games, first couple of weeks trying to figure it out. The pace of the game is different than college, certainly than high school. He's on a year and a half and moved from high school, and so to see him perform at this level, this was predicted by most that he would be somewhat of a superstar, and he's showing it right now. How at forty he scored forty at eighteen is it's pretty remarkable in the NBA.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited about his future.
Speaker 3: I love his ability to be able to bring the ball up and orchestrate the office to a degree and playmate. It's going to make him much more dangerous as a player, and Jason's using him in the right way.
Speaker 5: How long did it take you during your rookie season to feel comfortable playing in NBA games, to know where you're going to get your offense, to know how you want to score, and to just fit in on an NBA court out there? Because Cooper a little bit of a slow start, but in the past fifteen games, basically he's been playing at an incredible level.
Speaker 2: He has Well, Yeah, I remember I didn't play my rookie year.
Speaker 3: Probably I didn't play six games, so I never got adjusted to my second year basically in the NBA, so it takes time. There's a cadence, there's a rhythm, there's a certain speed, and so at my rookie year, I learned a lot through our practices and obviously watching during the games, just on how guys paced themselves and whatnot.
Speaker 2: So it's a rhythm to it for sure that you have to learn.
Speaker 1: Let's get your thoughts on some of the surprising teams so far this year. Is there a team or two that's really shocked you, maybe heading into the season and you thought maybe they're not going to be that good, or maybe you thought they were going to be better and they've struggled. Is there a team or two to you that's like, uh, okay, that's not what I thought.
Speaker 3: I think we all be lying to say we didn't think Toronto would be where they are right now in the standings. They have certainly played well this year. I think health has been a big part of it. It has to continue to be a big part of for them. But Ingram has played at all star level, Scottie Barnes is playing at all star level. They've done a wonderful job up in Toronto. So I think Toronto is a team that certainly stands out. I think you had to look at the Spurs and their acceleration. We knew maybe he was going to have a big time year, but with the team match what he's done, being able to have done in the court. So I think the Spurs have done a wonderful job this year so far. There to be taking seriously and I don't know if we knew that they would be taking so seriously this year. Maybe next year, but they certainly have opened up a lot of eyes this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, especially the record they had when Wemby was out there for a good chunk of time, and I think you see the benefit of having like veteran guys, right, And I'd love for you to speak to this, like Harrison Barnes had some great games and has continued to play well all season. Darreon Fox obviously not that old, but older on that squad. How important is it to have in your experience, just like VET guys to plug and play to learn from, especially when you are a younger guy in the league.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think vets are essential.
Speaker 3: And when I came in I'm a little bit biased to this because when I came into the league, I had Lynn Robinson and Sam Cassell, Tim Thomas, ray Allen, obviously, Urban Johnson, Lindsay Hunters. These guys shape my career in a sense, and when you are with a group of great veterans, that can have a huge influence on your whole career, how you handle yourself professionally on and off the court.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of nuances that comes with being.
Speaker 3: An NBA player, and so it's important to have mentorship guys who've been there, have done that at a high level around you to help equip you to accelerate your growth as well. So I think the Spurs historically have done this and they continue to do it.
Speaker 5: Is there a team that catches your eye when you're watching, because we can tell you watch a lot of basketball. Do you have a favorite league past team, like, is it the Bucks having spent a majority of your career there?
Speaker 1: Is it something else?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm always watching the Bucks for sure. Another exciting team to watch, or at least player players sixers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had the pleasure of seeing Tyre's Maxie play against the Bucks people see on Milwaukee, and he put on an absolute show. And he's a special special talent that I love watching play.
Speaker 2: And so they have a great young back.
Speaker 3: Court with s Calm as well back there with him, and I think the future is bright with Philly, you know, in the midst of all of what they've had to deal with the injuries with Paul George and obviously Joel Embiid. But but, but Philly is a team in the future to look out for with those two in the back court. I enjoy watching the Thompson Twins in Detroit and the Houston. Their their energy, they're athleticism, they're just fun to watch. Destroit has been such a pleasure to watch this year, so so proud of their effort this year, and then they've grown k Cunningham one of the top five MVP candidates arguably in the league this year so far.
Speaker 2: But yeah, those those are the guys that stand out to me.
Speaker 1: When you're watching a game, are you zeroing in on things maybe that a casual fan has no idea even to watch? You know, is there a particular thing or two that you're watching on either the offensive end or a defensive end that maybe, again, someone just like doesn't watch a lot of basketball, has no idea it's even happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a switch that just won't shut off. I try to watch as a fan. Yeah, and I can't watch casually a finger. I'm watching the setup of the offense. I'm watching how guys are getting open. I'm watching gaps in the defense. I'm watching how the defense is playing.
Speaker 2: It's his zone? Is it like an amoeba defense? Is it? You know?
Speaker 3: What kind of flares are they running for the shooters? I'm watching all kinds of games within the game, which is hard to shut off. But I wish I could watch it casually and just be in all And I am in all of the athleticism and these younger players. But I'm always watching the game within the game, and that's how I played.
Speaker 5: Do you miss like the off ball screens, there's not nearly as many. You were a guy who used to do some damage coming off pin downs or multiple away from the play kind of screens clearing some spots for you. It's like Duncan Robinson does that now, but kind of rare.
Speaker 2: It is rare. I do miss those days.
Speaker 3: And you don't see a lot of two guards with guards posting up like that too as well.
Speaker 2: That's something I missed. I was watching the.
Speaker 3: Game that Milwaukee with Philly Sixers and no one posted up from a guard position, and in my era, all the two guards posted up and it was a huge advantage for us.
Speaker 2: But there's certain aspects of the game that I missed.
Speaker 3: But there's certainly an evolution with all of this space and the obviously the importance of the three ball in this era.
Speaker 2: It's it's unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I remember last time we had you on again, this is twenty seventeen, we were like, how many points would you score in today's game? With the amount of three point shots that guys are now allowed to get up because you despite being a great three point shooter, I think you only like you maxed out at like six maybe seven, you were flirting with seven three point attempts per game. That would be easily like in the like ten plus today for a guy like you, not you would be putting up, you'd be flirting I think with thirty points per game.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's hard to I mean, yeah, yes, I mean I wash more threes.
Speaker 2: It's pretty accurate to simulate that.
Speaker 3: What the misnomer with my career is that people know me as a three point shooter when I was really just a score that happened to learn how.
Speaker 2: To shoot threes. So the floor is so.
Speaker 3: Space now and the bigs not in the paint as they used to be. The yao means the Sean Bradley's, the the Shaquille O'Neills, the Ben Wallace's, the Rashi Wallace's. Those guys are not now outside and so the ability to be able to get into the hole and score at a high rate is more rev but now and then obviously probably shooting between ten to twelve to thirteen threes a game would probably be my calling card now, So it would be a different dynamic for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mentioned this off the top. You know, you're a great follow on Twitter x or whatever we're calling it NOWT, But you also do these YouTube videos and the latest one is fantastic. It's titled why this game meant more than My fifty seven point night? And you're breaking down with our g T. Actually the game where you scored in the forties, but it was against Kobe, and you guys go through it and it is really fun, you guys breaking it down. I'll make sure we linked to it in the show notes to this, But yeah, why why was that one more important to you? Was it just who you were going against? In the the late great Kobe Bryant.
Speaker 3: You know, for me, it was homage to him as much as it was about my my my game and my performance.
Speaker 2: He was the pinnacle.
Speaker 3: He was the top dog at that time in our league, and to be able to have it a performance like that in his house.
Speaker 2: Was was, you know, for me special.
Speaker 3: And he didn't have his typical great game that game either, So I was very very proud of the win for one, and but more importantly the performance against him, because he's the best, he was a standard and to to compete at a high level against him, and to perform at a high level, it meant the world to mean it stands out to me my favorite game.
Speaker 1: There were a couple you know, smaller things from that video you brought up that I wanted to get your you know, more thoughts on. You said it may be more difficult for a shooter to shoot a technical foul than a normal free throw, and I was like, wow, I never thought of that, because you know, there's no one there. It's just like not routine. You guys are mechanics or mechanical with how you approach the free throw line, and so I hadn't thought about it until you said it on that video where I could see that to be true.
Speaker 3: Now I was trying to justify why I missed, whether what I said was true or not. You know, I think there is acceext to that to sure, having people on the line and whatnot, But you shoot the gym by yourself all the time for those by yourself, so you know, no excuses to ever miss those, really, but it is different.
Speaker 2: But I was trying to justify my missing.
Speaker 1: That's great, And you also said in the video how large hands are like a cheat code in basketball. And again it's like another one of these like observations. We've been doing this for a long time, Like, yeah, okay, that does make sense where I could see that would be an advantage because you had a great finish in that game against Kobe and the Lakers. You know, you could palm the ball pretty easy and sort of maneuver it around the defense.
Speaker 3: Now the caveat with that is that that year we had the different ball.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the ball, yeah.
Speaker 3: Synthetic ball, correct, And so there were a lot of high scoring games that year with that ball. So I think Kobe had eighty one a year. I think Gilbert has sixty eight. In lay ball, that ball was really unique. I actually missed that ball because it would hang on the rim a little bit longer and spin off the backboard a little bit different. And so I enjoyed that ball. But yeah, certainly hailing the basketball that way. As far as palming him, I mean, you saw it throughout the history of the game with Connie Hawkins and doctor j and obviously Michael Jordan and obviously Dwhy Leonard in recent times, the ability to be able to palm the ball gave you such a huge advantage because the defense was always cut off guard on where you want to go, so you had the ability to manipulate the defense by palming the ball and then finishing at the rim too. With bigger hands, you can do it much more easily.
Speaker 6: It is fun just listening to you in retrospect of your career, what do you make of players podcasting now in their current situation? Would you be able to podcast as an NBA player? Would you be able to do that? What would you even talk about? What would your pop be about?
Speaker 2: I think yeah, I think I would. I think it's just the time, right, It's just the time. You know.
Speaker 3: The grave mistake that we as for players do is we kind of stimulate what we would do in today's time when we didn't have social media. We didn't have the notion of a podcast, we didn't have apps, we didn't have iPhones, we had Blackberries and you know Next Hills.
Speaker 1: You know, we had Next So.
Speaker 3: We didn't have with these kids at today at our disposal, and the notion of a brand wasn't as prevalent or as important to us at the time. So with the avid of social media, obviously in the ability to touch billions of people around the world and now thinking of yourself as a brand and and all the opportunities off the court beyond point. Could it serve as a distraction, Sure it can, but I think at the same time, why not take advantage of it and why not monetize off of it.
Speaker 1: One of your takes on X was a fun comparison about Kate Cunningham and you saw similarities to Brandon Roy and his game, and we talked about it here on the show. I'm curious which player in today's game reminds you most of yourself? Is there is there a comp in today's NBA that you're like, Okay, I see some Michael Redding his game.
Speaker 2: I think Chris Littleton comes to mind.
Speaker 3: Obviously, the jersey number shut the right heads you know today it's Chris has had an incredible career, obviously with the Milwaukee Buds for most of it, not with Washington, but I think Chris comes to mind. I think when you think of maybe you have a Desmond Bine okay, okay, strong, powerful body that can score in a variety of ways. I was unique because I was left handed too, so so it's it's not one for one per se, but I think those are the guys that come to mind. I don't know that Bradley Bill fits that in that category his prime, but Chris Middleton and Desmond Baine probably come to mind.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 5: You mentioned being left handed. You said you like Jalen Brunson because he's left handed. What makes every single lefty smooth out on the basketball court. There's like no klucky lefties that have ever played in the NBA.
Speaker 3: Chris Marlin was smooth, lamar Odin was smooth exactly, Genobili was smooth.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Uh, there's so many been, so many great left handed David Robinson, so many great left handed players over the years.
Speaker 2: James Harden comes to mind.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's there's not too many of us, for one, and most of those players I mention, and we're ambidextrious in a sense. I know for me, the scouting import was to send me right. Well, I love to go right and finish right, and when they cut that off, they went they took me in front of me to.
Speaker 2: My left hand.
Speaker 3: So the ability to be able to be ambidextrious and to go both ways really confuses the deference. And so some of the some of the great left handed players were so unique in how they played. I shot the ball differently the most with my form and quick release, and uh, the ability to go left really through a lot of defenders off because they're so used to guarding right handed players and the angles are different.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was. It was a huge advantage for me in my career. For sure.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought up your unique form because we had some fans of ours asking when they knew you were coming on the show, asked Mike if were there ever coaches in your development over your basketball career that were trying to change your shot and your form and your release and all of that, because like, oh, that's not how you do it. Does that happen?
Speaker 3: It was one coach in particularly that tinker with it, try to tinker with it.
Speaker 2: That's it throughout high school and through college and the pros.
Speaker 3: Not really, but there was one coach he said, hey, maybe you need to, you know, switch it up a little bit, but he kept hearing the net pop pop, So there's no.
Speaker 2: Need to change it if the ball is going in the hole.
Speaker 3: And uh, respectfully, so sometimes you can get caught up into the beauty of the form of a Ray.
Speaker 2: All and play Thompson.
Speaker 3: Uh, but Step shoots completely different than both of those Reggie right, and the ball goes in. So I measured a great shooting by the quality and quantity of how much it goes in.
Speaker 6: What would that coach try and tinker with What would he try to actually do with your grateful I.
Speaker 2: Think he was looking. He was admiring Ray's form.
Speaker 3: This is early in my career, and there is a natural proclivity to want to compare me to Ray Allen in the sense of his form. We were teammates, obviously early in my career, and it was the natural probably thing to do. But the ball kept going in, and you know the ball is going in, you do not want to.
Speaker 2: Mess with it.
Speaker 3: So obviously, being a top five scorer, top ten scoring NBA for a chunk of my career, there was no need to mess with it.
Speaker 1: One thing I have now realized when I introduced you, I should have said Hall of Famer Michael Right as well, because you are part of the redeemed team in the Hall of Fame. Congrats on that. Do you have Do you have any you know, memorable encounters in the Olympic village of your time at the Olympics that jump out to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we all had a healthy dynam McDonald's.
Speaker 2: And this is all of us.
Speaker 3: I'm talk about Roger Federer and Nadall and Phelps and Hussein Bowl and we would all hang out in the village together and Serena and Venus and it was a really incredible, incredible group that year. And then, uh, Kobe and I engaged in Papa Shot, and uh it's been widespread and known, Chris Bosh put it out a number of years ago, and uh, but yeah, it was. It was the epic battle between Kobe and I and and two competitors. Was drew us to our relationship. We had not a public relationship, but ours is more private. And uh, it just had a fun night of just going at it for I don't know, three four hours of Papa Shot.
Speaker 2: It was wild.
Speaker 3: It was the team had left, we had had dinner or what have you, and hung out and then him and I had just started engaging. And then two hours later Chris Bosh comes back and me and Kobe a sweaty, we're all at it.
Speaker 2: He's like, are these guys still playing?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, we're still playing, And uh, and he left and we and we were just drenched and and just laughed and had an incredible time. I think about the the the members, with those guys being together at the Hall of Fame was such an nostalgic moment for all of us, and all of us are in our forties now and have kids and that are grown and and doing well. So it was it was wonderful to be with all of us together again. Obviously bitterstreet that Kobe wasn't there, but it was an incredible night together and something I'll never forget.
Speaker 1: Did you have any favorite Olympic sports that you got to witness firsthand when you were there that you went and checked out?
Speaker 3: Wow, swimming to see Phelps swim was was pretty pretty incredible. And table tennis, right, I mean extraordinary, Probably the most popular sport at the time over in Beijing when we were there, Sure was table tennis, and these athletes were just incredible. Beach volleyball it was incredible as well, and so we tried to do our best to support our other sports as best we could.
Speaker 1: A couple more before we let you go in again, we had some people ask a few questions. I love this one from Devin Landry, any good Steve Nash stories for us, because you did play with Steve at the end of your career. I guess that was your final year there right in Phoenix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was such a treat in him and I would talk all the time, like what if this would have happened ten years ago, ten years.
Speaker 2: Earlier, or five years earlier, twelve. You know, we had those conversations a lot.
Speaker 3: Steve was one of the best teammates I've ever had, and just as nice as he comes across welcoming to mi disrespect for each other. We had played against each other for many years, and to finally have played with a quality and caliber point guard that he was was like a dream from true and I had a blast my last year in Phoenix. He made me feel welcomed and we had wonderful conversations, and whenever I see him to this day, we hug each other and just have a mutual respect for each other.
Speaker 1: Before we let you go, I know you're not a hot take artist guy by any means, and we're not asking for that, not looking for that, but we'd be remiss if we didn't ask you for your thoughts, your opinions on the yawnest situation in Milwaukee where you are udging with the Bucks and how that's going out, how you think it'll play out. You know, the obviously the rampant trade rumors and all that. What's Michael Red's take on the Honest and Buck situation.
Speaker 2: I don't, I don't. I really don't know.
Speaker 3: I wish I would, I wish I did know, But I don't know what he's going to do or what the team's going to do. This is his thirteenth season. I'm a stickler for being with the franchise your whole career.
Speaker 2: Type of guy. I wanted to play my last year in.
Speaker 3: Phoenix to to to prove that I can come back from to a CLSA and perform at a high level.
Speaker 2: That was for me.
Speaker 3: But but I think I think he has the opportunity to be a lifer in Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: And when you look at the.
Speaker 3: Great players stout the history of the game, the Dirks, certainly Kobe, you look at Reggie Miller, you look at certain players like that Stockton who stayed with their teams throughout their whole career. Something to be said about that. So I'm a big fan of him. Sticking to Milwaukee. Milwaukee is a great city, a great fan base. They will love you to life. Haven't been there for eleven years. I kind of grew up there myself, similar to honest kind of grew up there. But but he's got it made there and and so if he wants to leave, that's his choice, or if the team wants to trade, and that's their choice. But I think being there is special. And yes it's a small market, but I think the lasting legacy with the fan base in Milwaukee will never ever go away.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've always been adamant that he's not going anywhere this season. He's said it many a times. I've also been adamant about talking about analysis because I get fed those podcast clips and I know you've been on Fanalysis before. If they did you, okay, I'll ask you. Did you like being on the show? Was it a fun time?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was great. We laughed.
Speaker 3: The interview was really long then we cut it up a ton, but we just had a wonderful time. And it was the first time that we had a chance to talk about, you know, my time here, you know, right before the era of Giannis and and and all of that.
Speaker 2: I was that era before them, So they I think took the time to nasal, took time to kind of learn about my journey in Milwaukee. Now.
Speaker 6: Sannasis is also not a hot take guy. I don't know if he would even have a podcast if his brother got traded. But if he asked you to be on the show, then would you come on?
Speaker 3: Of course? Yeah, of course, of course. He's fun man. He's a great person. He's fun and and so for me being with him was who We looked at our phones and our watchers were like, this has been three hours and like how did that happen? So just he just laughed old time and and uh, he's very knowledgeable at the game.
Speaker 2: And uh but we had a we had.
Speaker 6: A ball, yes, respect to that, because I know people are always on me, Oh that's not that show. I don't even see that show. But now we've got Michael, I've given it the approval.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 5: Did you have like like a Thanasis character during your NBA career who was like a good vibes guy who just loved having around?
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a great he's unique. You know, he's the modern day mL car right Celtics. All Right, So I don't remember having a guy of that elk throughout my tenure in Milwaukee. We had guys that were supportive, and we had great teammates for sure, But like his passion and his energy every game, every game, I don't think I've ever seen it before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, contagious. Who was the funniest guy you ever played with? Either on Milwaukee or he had some characters. I was looking at that roster when you did play with Nash in the Suns, like oh, Ro Lopez on that team, I'm sure he's a character.
Speaker 3: So many, so many, so many funny guys. Lebron's one of the funniest.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 3: My time with him during the Olympics really okay, Oh, Lebron's hilarious.
Speaker 2: It's NonStop comedy.
Speaker 3: And obviously he was younger than he was twenty three at the time, so just full of life and and and vigor.
Speaker 2: But still he's still funny when you're around him.
Speaker 3: I saw him at the Hall of Fame and we were laughing about an inside joke about our hair.
Speaker 2: But we we but he is he is. He is one of the funniest people that I've ever encountered.
Speaker 3: Uh in basketball, Uh and and there's some design.
Speaker 2: Mason's funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so many, so many, so many years with him with the Bucks. We would laugh all the time. And uh we still talked to this dance my brother. But there's been some characters, Irb Johnson, Irban Johnson was hilarious, So many great characters throughout the years.
Speaker 2: Eric Strickland comes to mind.
Speaker 3: Uh, just a lot of great, great teammates I have not played, but on the Lipper team, I think Lebron stood out the most.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. Well, look, we're not gonna keep you three hours like this is the Elisara, Mike, appreciate you so much for jumping on. Hopefully we can do this again in the future. Again, I'm gonna recommend everyone check out your YouTube channel. We'll make sure a link to that. Follow red on X. Are you on all the You're on Instagram for sure as well, you guys posting sut there, So thank you man, really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: No, I appreciate you guys having me. Always going to be with you guys, and good to see you again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's make sure it's not another eight years until as we talked about, Okay, we try and get shot later this year or something like that. Take care of it, all right, Michael Red. Everybody hit the like button, subscribe if you haven't to thank Michael Reffer. Coming on, no donks, We're gonna take a quick break and then we'll get into some of last night's games.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: The NBA is cooking right now.
Speaker 6: Five games last night, two into OT two into the last minute, and the other one had a guy saying, you're gonna have to get him off me. He can't guard me. The spencers are just hot right now, and FanDuel's putting you in control right from tip off. Because today you get to choose your reward. Take your shot with a profit boost, play it cool with a no sweat bet, or get a little back up with a bet back toe the no sweat bet.
Speaker 4: That's a good one.
Speaker 6: For example, say you bet ten bucks on the Grizzlies, say your betn cam Spencer, and you toggle on your no sweat token, So if the Grizzlies lose, you could get your ten dollars back in the form of bonus bets to use on another wager.
Speaker 4: Keep it safe.
Speaker 6: It's all about finding what fits your game, the way you like to play. No matter how you play, fanduels giving you the power to choose your reward and own your game this NBA season. So make your pick, get in the game, and play it your way.
Speaker 1: Okay, few great games last night to dive into here. Let's start with Jokic getting his twelfth triple double of the season to lead the Nuggets to the one twenty eight one five overtime win over the Rockets. Now email Yudoka. He had some things to say after this game. I believe he's gonna get fined. He was very critical of the officiating. He said, quote the most poorly officiated game I've seen in a long time. Then he said two officials have no business being out there. And crew chief Zack Zarba, who he was alluding to specific huh, Zach Zarba was acting starstruck. You're seeing all kinds of inconsistent calls, and I'm sure we would have gotten a few more texts anyway. He was upsets, but particularly Trey I think about on then Thompson getting called for a trip on Tim Hardaway Junior right at the end of regulation that then got Jamal Murray to the line from the player to tie it up. Yeah, and they looked at it and they said, ah, nah, you tripped them, but that one got him heated. There are a couple other ones, of course, but your takeaways from Nuggets Rockets, which was really awesome.
Speaker 5: This is prime hoops season. I know it was on Peacock, but this was prime hoops early season. You get some mirages late season. We call it Mickey mouse March for a reason. But like December January once we played like twenty games, even though the Nuggets are like super banged up, like, we're getting great performances. That's why we had two great games last night. We've had two Game of the Year candidates. If you ask me this week, between the Spurs Thunder game and then what happened last night, you could just tell both these teams really wanted. This game felt like a measuring stick game between the two of them.
Speaker 1: Jokic came out aggressive. He was complaining to.
Speaker 5: The refs all night and felt like as well. The way the Rockets were defending him was pretty interesting. Like start letting him go to work down low, he turns into a scorer, and then they sent help right at the very last second. Kevin Durant five blocks last night, It's just a fun game to watch. I love the post moves or cool kind of game. Jokic and sheng Gun going at each other, bumping and grinding. Shnggun hits the lefty hook over Spencer Jones there with two seconds left. This was just an awesome game to watch front to back and to have it go into overtime. You never know what's gonna happen in overtime. But a great win for the Nuggets. I thought they had some really cool performances. They are so banged up right now. They lost Peyton Watson in this game. The old trunk contusion. Yeah, yeah, I mean it's a rare injury when the guy the guys on the broadcaster are like, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: You know what a right trunk is?
Speaker 4: That is just this butt I mean his glute.
Speaker 1: I mean more like he took like a nasty I don't know. I think I think upper body for trunk from myself, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Nonetheless, they're missing a lot of guys. I run Christian Brown out, Aaron Gordon. Now they lost Watson as well. Spencer Jones hit like a huge shot in the last two minutes of regulation.
Speaker 1: Just fun to watch.
Speaker 5: So this is a potential playoff matchup, Like these two teams could easily finish the season two and three in the Western Conference and that would be must watch TV because it was last night.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Spencer Jones splashing and that was right after Reed Shepherd did it off the bounce with a huge three and then Durant on the other side. They were just going back and forth. That was super fun.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the shot making was huge on them.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: And then it goes to that two second left call where Tim Hardaway was air quotes tripped. I mean, it was one of those plays where a guy almost like a guard bringing up a ball where he slows down to the guy behind him. Tim hartiway just kind of slowed down and then Thompson kind of hit him.
Speaker 4: But it'd be difficult to call.
Speaker 6: It'd be difficult to overturn though after you call it because he was bumped.
Speaker 4: But it didn't look like a fel to me.
Speaker 6: It just happened to hit him and he happened to follow That one point was key, but it was fun going back and forth. This Nugets team, as you said, no Aaron Gordon, no Christian Brown, and they lose Payne Watson in the first half, and they still get there with Spencer Jones playing forty one minutes, Jokic fouls out, fell In Chunis fouls out and they get a win. This was a blow for blow battle. It felt like a playoff game. It felt like a second round series. I'm already thinking this is the second round series and that one of these teams plays okay see. But if Jokic is there against Okac in a conference finals, I would find it hard to bet against him or not be surprised even if you take okay see win. The Nuggets get it done because it's number one, it's the Okich and the number two is Jamal Murray, who looks different this year because he's obviously playing great, but he all so doesn't wait anymore. He used to as you get into your pick and roll with k or you get the ball up top, he used to kind of evaluate, and now he's just go to He looks like a different player, and so is he an I'll start, of course, is he an all NBA player? I think there's an argument for that that he could be a top six card because of how he's bawling, so how they got there man.
Speaker 4: To the end of this game.
Speaker 6: Vince Carter was on the broadcast on Peacock and said, this feels like Game three of the playoffs. I said game games three specifically. I've never heard someone say that. I don't know what Game three of the Playoffs really feels like. I guess it's like, Okay, you felt each other out for two games, now this one's really important.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Either way? It was wild. Does he Durant block in theo kitchen that fourth quarter? Over and over and over?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Five blocks.
Speaker 1: It was a fun game. My only thing was I was a little bummed by the Rockets like play call at the end of overtime because we've talked before about sort of cool like Sheng Goon is like their go to guy, and that's fair. Guy's an all star, guy's all NBA. I get it. But they're down three. I'm like, instead of Shanngguon forcing a three point attempt where he like goes out to the three point line and chucked it up and wasn't even close, I'd prefer to see Kevin Durant to rise up over any defense you're gonna throw out him to get a better look in my opinion to potentially tie the game in overtime. I heard my one thing. I was like, okay, that one, I think we go to Katie. But otherwise the one that you said, that little hook one where he put Jones in the basketball, that was I mean, he's done that all season long, or.
Speaker 6: Jabarry Smith even Yeah, you could hear Vince Carter was saying, why are they He kind of because Vince Carter, he say, plays a safe He almost said get j Barry Smith the ball, likes get somebody else the ball when they went to Shangdun there.
Speaker 5: I think I counted it right, but I think Kevin Durant only took three shots in the last twelve minutes of this game, including overtime. They were a little bit too tilted towards Shng Guon. I thought though he was pretty effective as well, and part of the way that Kevin Durant gets defended as a defender sticks to him and is not going to give any sort of help. So it helps the Rockets for sure, But there are ways to keep him involved because he does need to take some of these shots. Yeah, because that makes things even easier for Shangun as well. Thought it was also pretty interesting that when Josha Kogi was on the court, the Nuggets went to his zone and it worked pretty well. All Kogi had a good game, but you want those possessions to end up going to a Koji. They tried the zone some when Reed Shepherd and Aaron Holliday were on the court, and it didn't work because those guys can shoot threes.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I loved seeing Reed Shepherd continue to shoot, even though he didn't have a good shooting a lot last night. As five to seventeen, I think, yes, it wasn't hot, but that.
Speaker 4: Three was huge. He just kept firing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a really fun game there. Make sure you go check out at least the extended highlights on the NBA YouTube page if you didn't watch that one on the CACK.
Speaker 5: My only complaint with this is I don't like the way Kevin Durant's number looks like on those H Town jerseys.
Speaker 1: It's like a seven and it almost looks like a question mark. It's too blocky, two blocky, way too block Do you like those jerseys in general? I don't think so. No, I don't think I do.
Speaker 5: I definitely didn't like him on the Nuggets court. Yeah, the Nuggets have such a minimalist court with a kind of a lightwood, very washed out look.
Speaker 1: I thought, yeah, they look better on the rocket Man or the Spaceman, you know, city edition court. I guess that they can sort of pair with. I don't love the h town. I sort of wish it, said Houston said, But anyway, we're nitpicking.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, just quickly on josh Koji not getting it done shooting the ball. I wonder about the Houston Rockets depth when Tar Easton comes back and who's playing like they are missing guys while on the other side you see Jonas Valentiunis. I thought was really key in the second quarter when it seemed like Houston was pulling away, here comes Yonas Valentiunis. Bang bang bang. You had six points there in the second quarter that were important. You only had eight points in this game, but little runs. So the Nuggets depth coming through again with so many freaking guys missing. But it also helps when Jamal Murray is just literally almost fifty forty ninety now at this point of the season. You don't fifty forty five. Excuse me, excuse me, that's disrespect to Jamal Murray, it's fifty nearly forty five and nearly ninety percent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is incredible.
Speaker 1: The other game last night on Peacock, the first one the Pistons versus the Celtics, very entertaining as well. Kate Cunningham once again amazing all game in the clutch, thirty two points, ten boards TK as the Pistons beat the Celtics one twelve.
Speaker 5: This was kind of like NBA Cup semi finals where the Eastern Conference game the Knicks versus the Magic was awesome and then we had a way better game later and the night because this was a great game, but unfortunately this is the JV Conference once again, a good measuring stick game. Celtics have been playing great. They've been one of the hottest teams in the league. Meanwhile, Detroit has been at the top of the Eastern Conference from quite some for quite some time. Here at the start of the season, I thought there was great intensity on both sides, multiple technical fouls. You got Jalen Brown and Kate Cunningham going head to head like who's the best guard out here in the East. That was awesome to watch. The key moments to me though, in the fourth quarter, Detroit is up ninety six to ninety two. Kate Cunningham subs out, who's going to score for Detroit? It was a Carris Lavert leup. Then Javonte Green hit a three. Then Javonte Green made a nice steal and had a monster dunk. There's five Javantes out there. Cad checks back in a seven point lead, like you're happy to add to the lead in that scenario, you're happy to keep the score the same, sure, So to stretch it out was pretty sweet. And then Kate, because he's a clutch dude, he went smooth operator mode. He had Austin Rivers singing on the broadcast. Hit two clutch jumpers from the mid range. The second one was nasty off the spin even shut up Austin Rivers. That was impressive. Detroit is now fourteen and four in clutch games this season. It's because Kate takes over.
Speaker 6: No doubt, if Austin Rivers singing, Robbie Hummel's got to be humming alongside. Because I thought it was good. And I know we've questioned guys sitting right at the bench and whether.
Speaker 4: It's good, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's.
Speaker 6: Working on me. It's sort of aged properly. It's aged twell, I guess I should say it's I think they're good, those three.
Speaker 1: They have great energy. There's some jokes. I mean, they're obviously I don't know. Maybe they're helped out by sitting right there on the bench or the court side. They're into the game. I don't know what it is, but I don't mind it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they're pretty good with their energy.
Speaker 6: You'd think they're like right beside each other, talking right beside you, but they talk back and forth.
Speaker 4: They say, isn't that right, Austin, isn't that right Robbie.
Speaker 1: They are have to do a lot of fun naming each other because I do feel like they're always talking. Yeah, they do.
Speaker 2: They do.
Speaker 4: No Eagle didn't give them.
Speaker 1: There's never there's never any airtime. Yeah, And I think part of that is the makeup of where they're sitting. I think when you're all sitting together, it's maybe like you're just letting the play by play guy sort of handle it. There's a little more breathing like, Yeah, But because of where they are located, I think there is that they want us. Somebody's always wants to be talking and making a point. I'm with you on that, but at least they're trying.
Speaker 6: They went on they're trying things. The Celtics are trying things. Throwing the zone at the pistons and worked. In the second quarter, they were just saying, all right, three point shooters, figure it out, and they got up. But they pulled that out in the fourth quarter again with Kate Cunningham off the bench and Carri Slivert was phenomenal with that take to the rim, then that Javonte Green three, and then that j n Ivy block of Jalen Brown literally guarding him all the way into the paint and blocked him. And then that's what led to the Javonte Green smasher. To see the depth of those guys huge. That was huge. That's gonna be the dunk of his career. I don't know, I'm assuming, but it just feels like that's.
Speaker 1: He's a sneaky athletic guy. Like he sort of like shocks me when he like throws something down like that. He just doesn't appear to have, yeah, his game. Maybe it's those giant, you know, sleeves he's.
Speaker 6: Wearing, but I guess he did have some good ones with the Bulls because they also said I think it was Austome Maeves and Robbi Hummel said, this feels like the Bulls days when he did smash it. But they got the depth to perform in this particular game, while the Celtics.
Speaker 4: Obviously did not.
Speaker 6: They were looking for somebody to help out Jaylen Brown, who was freaking phenomenal.
Speaker 4: He just looks so good.
Speaker 6: This is the best Jalen Brown, I think season of his career. And then Derek White was helping out, but they needed somebody. The three point shots were just struggling. Sam Houserd did leave this game with an ankle sprain, so that hurt but might not. Shireman Simon's just couldn't find a shot. So they were just relying on Brown, who played every third quarter minute and then they had to send him a little bit in the fourth just to get him a breath, but he came out and he didn't have it, and Derek quite slowed down at some point. It wasn't Peyton Pritchard's night. They needed somebody, while the Pistons got the depth because this they did feel like a playoff game.
Speaker 1: The Pistons. They play so hard, those guys and the Celtics guys, like all those guys who went through like they were playing hard. That's what made it a very fun competitive game. I'd like, I am becoming more and more convinced about the Pistons. More I watch I'm like, oh, yeah, okay, you know, I know this is like, it's it's very rare for a team to like just go from not winning a playoff series to like going far, like let's say at conference finals. It's rare. You usually gotta you know, take your lumps, right, lose a first round, losing a second whatever. But man, the more I watch them, yeah, and the cad factor of it at all, Like you guys fight your ass off and then we got Kate Cunningham to close. You know, can you replicate it in some of these series. They put up a great fight against the Knicks in the first round last year, so you know, I'm believing. Dan Devine tweeted last night watching it, Jade and Ivy's just like how he's been sitting down and guarding in the second half. I thought it was a great point. I was jumping off the screen to me as well, because he was. He was really locked in. I don't think of him as like a guy, like defensive minded guy. But he's moving his feet well, forcing tough shots even if he was getting scored on, really putting in the effort. And yeah, my only other note from this game is it's a very minor like geeky yell admit note, But like kid Cunningham is so good at getting off the ball and like timing a fast break. And it's like one of my biggest pepe he watching any level of basketball, like a two on one fast break, a three on two. A guy that just holds onto the ball a beat longer than he needs to, doesn't make the pass over to the wing, kick ahead, whatever. It just drives me nuts, Like the ball is always gonna be faster. Move it to your guys that you should trust. Kay, never is an issue with that. I love it the ball quickly. He gets with the ball so quickly he times them. They're always in the like in the in the perfect spot for a lot of his guys. He's damn good guys leveled up so much. It's fun to watch.
Speaker 5: My last two things are with regards to Ivy. He was playing good defense, there's no doubt about it. But he was basically only able to score in transition. And they already have Ron Holland they got a guy who can score and transition and play defense. They need Ivy to be better in half court scenarios. He's shooting under forty percent at the rim. He just I don't know. He doesn't seem to have any sort of craft in when a defense is set, which is why he's a better transition player. So I would like to see that improve because I do think they need a secondary creator when it comes to playoff time, because that's just going to be so much on kid's shoulders and that's a bigger ask in a seven game series than it is night to night. The second thing was I thought Duran looked like the lights were too bright last night. He got completely outplayed by Cada. Only three rebounds on the night for Duran. They can't have that. He's got to be their second best player if they're going to go anywhere in the.
Speaker 1: Eastern Extremely quiet night for Joe and Durham last night, dropping the ball all over the place. He was just out there to screen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, best screen assists were probably his best performative factor last night. I mean, the big, big screens help each other up. But yeah, iv is lacking a little bit offensively as well. And that's why Missoula said, let everybody shoot. It was Holland and it was Jade and Ivy, and so it makes sense, so let them open. But Holland contributed enough and j and Ivy, yeah, he he made shots. I don't know if it's just only having played for a few weeks, but he wasn't completely himself. Yeah, he needs to get better.
Speaker 5: I just think if it's year four for him, and part of it has been injuries for sure, But if it comes down to are we putting Ivy in a trade and that's the thing that'll get it done, they shouldn't hesitate to put it.
Speaker 6: It's a little like Jailing Green. It feels a little Jailing Green esque to some degree, like you got the best athlete out there, an incredible athlete, but if he's not producing day in and day out, maybe move on. If there is another package, because as you said, or another superstar to be able to get because as you said about Detroit in the playoffs, they're close, man, I mean they feel like they're super close. And if they need to go get in a list type of player. Maybe you package it and it feels a little like what the Rockets did last year, especially in the Eastern Conference as you called it, the JUV Conference.
Speaker 5: Jvley say that they're the undercard.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm not used to the JUV juvenile jv uh Being Canadian, we never had that.
Speaker 4: But either way, about all works.
Speaker 1: Brandon Ingram scores twenty eight as the Raptors and a four game skid with the one oh six ninety six win over the Heat. Now, first thing from this game. I don't know if there's been an update on him, but Jovich went down with a pretty scary fall there the elbow injury. First quarter. Took a hard, hard foul. I don't think it was dirty at all. It wasn't from Colin Murray Boyles. Jovich was going for the dunk CMB trying to block it. But Yovic fell real hard and it was like right after he checked into the game. Anyway, they put the brace on his arm. He walked off on his own acord back to the locker room. So we wait to see how severe that is or not, or was it just like cut open. Hopefully it's like broken or anything like that. But the game continued and the Raptors pulled it off. In the end, they held the Heat to ninety six points tasks. And look, we had talked about this when he was struggling with like, brandon Ingram, you need to take a break, man, you need to get rested. Well, the Raps had a lot of rest here Ingram did, and I think it looked like a hell or rejuvenated Brandon Ingram last night, going for twenty eight. He was hitting the three ball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's questions out there as the NBA Cup scheduling hurting teams. They got so many games on the front end of their schedule, but then even if you play through those games, it hits ye multiple days off and Ingram chilling looking good as a score, there's no doubt to get them to the fourth quarter. When it was Scotty Barnstein on the offensive end, just everything going through him the elbow.
Speaker 4: Give that ball to him. Make it work out there.
Speaker 6: That guy wherever he is, I mean, he picked part of his own passing mid range games to the room. Whatever the line of seventeen to ten, six assists, two steels, three blocks, he'll be a five by five guy one day, it's gotta be. But that run of seventeen to two to start the fourth for the Raptors tore it apart, and the Heat just looked stinky. It looked like they weren't playing on both ends.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 6: I thought they struggled offensively, but they allowed so many layups, like Greedy Dick had a layup where he literally he went from the three point line to the rim nobody there, and Greedy Dick isn't the most athletic player. That shouldn't just magically happen. So that was disappointing Ingram gonen to that third quarter. But if you allow Ingram to work excuse me, Barnes to work like that in his office, they're going to score points. It was a disappointing fourth quarter for the Heat on both sides.
Speaker 5: I think the book is out on the Heat of the Officially in December, it's only been a handful of games. They're twenty seventh in offense, but if you stretch it back further, the last fifteen games, they're twenty first in offense. That's bottom ten. They've been a bottom ten offense for half of the season, and that was one of the encouraging signs. At the beginning of the year for the Heat, it looked like they'd figured out a way to play offense.
Speaker 1: But they've been completely figured out. It's just too predictable.
Speaker 5: They try and drive middle all the time, and as soon as they drive, guys rotate around the outside.
Speaker 1: They went on TV and talked about it.
Speaker 5: Everyone's like, oh, yeah, well, just you're not going to score over the top of us every single time, and it's become impossible. They need to figure out a way to get some picks involved. There's a reason every other team us its picks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and Tyler hero not playing you know, three of the six games in December is a factor because he's the guy. He's their best offensive player. No disrespect to norm but it just looks like, you know what's coming, like no one can create for themselves out there. And Normany had a you know, he's one for seven in the fourth quarter, but you know a lot of those are sort of in garbage time right at the end when it was over. He's a great secondary scorer and Heroes big toe has got to get better.
Speaker 4: He's got a big toe contusion.
Speaker 6: As Eric Reid said, you don't really hear that too often, old big toe contusion. Eric Creed also called Khalil where the slender rim Bender. I don't know how I feel about that nickname. Here comes the slender rim Bender. Slender just a skinny dunker like.
Speaker 1: It for the Raps too. He had Mamu and Shed having really phenomenal games off the bench. Mamu got it going in the four corridor. He was good in his late stint, and then Shed was awesome all game long. I think he's just great game management, and I think he sort of relished or enjoyed battling Davion Mitchell, who you know, had some battles up in Toronto against in practice. He said, but eight points tennis sists, three boards for Shed plus twenty seven in twenty three minutes for him, So he had a positive impact on the game. Yeah, Miami Heat, they're struggling right now. They're real and after that, very you know, hot start maybe surprise some people and they're starting to fall here and he got this another injury here potentially to Yovic got a hero out. Still, you know, enormous, cooled off to some extent a little bit. It's not not a great stretch here. Yeah, six or seven.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and pretty much corresponds with when a hero came back, though he's missed some time.
Speaker 1: Since his return as well. They need a trade. I just wonder talent. I don't think they seem like they could be one of these teams. I do something here now that more guys are available to be traded before the deadline, We've got a lot of time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Moran talk was hot of a Lamello ball talk.
Speaker 2: I suppose could be a thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they need a guard, it feels like, but as one of those guards gonna be playing beside Tyler Harroll, that would be odd.
Speaker 1: Jaron Jackson Junior, there's a guy we barely talked about this season. Big Game thirty one points. Cam Spencer talked about Cam Spencer more than we've talked about Jeron Jackson Junior, and fair enough rightfully so he had twenty seven and was talking crap to the Clippers as the Griz beat them pretty handedly here. So, I mean, you think the Miami heater and the dumps right now? How about the La Clippers? Baby, they have not won a home game since Halloween. Oh yeah, that's interesting. You know, we've had multiple holidays go by since then we have and you know, the Into It Dome only cost two billion dollars to make and I can't even win there. They still selling out the wall. I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's still bumping.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but not great.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 6: Lawrence Frank leading their front office, met with their season seat holders yesterday. I wonder what they talked about. They also have.
Speaker 1: That's a sign of the times.
Speaker 5: You would rather meet with anybody else besides Lawrence Frank, Like, give me a player, let me see I Viza Zubots please sure, Lawrence Frank, I'd rather see Tylo see at the tables, right.
Speaker 1: You know who you didn't see after the game? Apparently Kawhi Letard and James Harden did not reporters after the game.
Speaker 6: Maybe Yeah, a very strange scenario. You mentioned that arena, the fact that they're going to be hosting an also our game in two months, because they're not taking that away from them no matter what they come to. When it comes to should be a pedalty, it should be, it should be, but it ain't happening. It's unfortunate. That is abysmal situation. But on the other side, I think it was Jared Jackson Junior's best offensive game.
Speaker 5: This year, I agree, season high, but also five blocks. He has been kind of disengaged I think, this season, and he has had less well known complaints about the way things are going with the coaching staff in Memphis. So to see him fired up and playing hard in this game. Maybe it's because Jaw's back playing alongside him, I don't know, but he actually looked really into the game and looked like he knew he could dominate, and he did dominate. And Cam Spencer another great game for this guy, knocking down threes. He's the most egregious T shirt wearer in the end. No, it's huge, there's no compression. That's not a compression shirt.
Speaker 1: That is just a pure T shirt. It is massive. It's just like a giant Haynes T shirt or whatever brand it is. He's not the only one. There are other guys that giant ass T shirts. But his looks crazy. This is flapping. But man, the guy was what seven to ten from deep last night, and like I said, he was talking. His shit clip going around is hilarious, funny. Can't gard me get him off me? The most disrespectful thing I feel like you can say when you tell the other team, when you tell the other coach and the bench guys, get that guy off me. If you're that guy who's trying to guard him, that's got to hurt. Especially its cam Spencer. What do you think Tyler is like it's Jordan Miller? Well, yeah, good. I mean there's a lot of shrug skis for the Clippers, there was a lot of Oh.
Speaker 5: Man, it's like they had no idea what sort of defensive coverages they were supposed to be doing. Uh. Kobe's Sanders and Brown seemed to mix things up quite a bit. But even a guy like Kawhi Leonard was watching defensive coverages I thought all night long, and they just they just look so bad. I think Ziggy completely nailed it. Here your new arena being known for toilets, it's classic.
Speaker 4: Oh the toilet team.
Speaker 1: Man, do you think it's still known for toilets even more than the wall or the T shirt cannon that can hit any seat. Those are the two things that I sort of dare I say, have put ahead of the toilet. Wow, a number of toilets, but I haven't been there.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that I can hit any seat.
Speaker 1: Didn't know that video. I mean, that's pretty cool that.
Speaker 6: I mean the video board and the wall or what I know it for that that's circular video board, that Halo board or that shows shows some bad.
Speaker 1: Turn it off.
Speaker 6: But when Cam Spencer did start talking trash, that was off, like a thirty foot bomb, that was a boll. Yeah, so he should be him and Pat Spencer. We talked about w W yesterday. Those guys talked junk. They would be a good tag team.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 6: They get into it. Yeah, seven for ten yesterday, also coming off a game where he's six six from three, so he scorched.
Speaker 1: You get him in the three point contest, it's gonna be there. He likes the sitelnes, he loves them. Yeah, why not? I don't know what is? And then I guess put Stephan Seth in. Let's put as many brothers as we can.
Speaker 5: Okay, Pat Spencer is shooting or Cam Spencer shooting fifty percent from three, he's a walk.
Speaker 1: He'll be there.
Speaker 4: He'll be there.
Speaker 1: Shirt on John Morant hurt again.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like got his foot kicked, maybe landed on a foot.
Speaker 1: There was some sort of foot action. Said he tweaked his ankle. Came out late.
Speaker 5: They're hoping it's not a big deal though, because he just came back and you know, he was doing some jump moves. I don't know if he's doing the job moves that were used to in the past, but he looked a little bit more boosty, I thought than early this season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he immediately went off. It's not like he sat on his butt and had to wait. He immediately like just kept hobbling, although when he got to the bench he said, I'm not I'm not sitting on a chair. He just got down on the floor. He was that much pain. So hopefully it's not that Jurassic. You wouldn't think so for a guy hobbling off on his own. But yeah, it was good seeing him the last since he's returned. He looks it looks more jaiy, you know.
Speaker 1: And then the final game from last night. We did allude to it when we talked to Michael Read earlier in the show, but the Jazz one to one thirty three over the Dallas Mavericks Cooper Flagg obviously making history, putting up forty two points as an eighteen year old, beating Lebron's record as the youngest to do that. But the Jazz won this game. The Jazz are at ten wins.
Speaker 6: Jazz are ten and fifteen here, eighteen and a half or something.
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, they're looking good to make that. And Kiante George after what he had a thirty nine point game the other night, Yeah, thirty three, excuse me, thirty seven last night. Lowry markin and added thirty three that helped them top the Mavericks there in overtime. I'm just saying, man the noticer, as Trey Kirby goes by in the power rankings on our substact page, Well, I'm noticing the Utah Jazz a little bit more now. I'm liking what I'm saying them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, Jazz have been noticed, Brooklyn Nets have been noticed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lately you got to pay attention to these bad teams.
Speaker 5: This is actually a pretty entertaining game because both teams are like, we're not playing defense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't need to do that.
Speaker 5: No Walker Kessler for the Jazz, Gafford returning from injury, he only played like twelve minutes or something like that. No, Anthony Davis. So it was just a layup festival for both teams. Sixty four points in the paint for the Mavericks, sixty six for the Jazz.
Speaker 1: Five guys in this game scored twenty five or more. That was awesome. You're highlights, that's all it was.
Speaker 5: If you could make a move and get around to your defender, you're getting a layup in the hoop. I think both teams basically shot over fifty percent. I think the Mats were one shot short. Don't get on me.
Speaker 1: Okay, the Mavericks went, the Mavericks went. I was cold in overtime. They went one for nine, and overtime big reason why they lost here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if you take a look at any Jazz game, it feels like you look at the box score, you see somebody scored one hundred and forty points. It feels like every single one of their games, there's lots of points scored in their games for them and for the other team. It is so interesting with Dallas and what they do here coming to the trade deadline, because we've talked about you got to deal with Anthony Davis. This is the time to get bad and use that pick that you have, especially when Ad is out and Gaffer playing limited minutes and Derek lively out for the season. Yeah, but Kyrie's coming back. You'd assume at some point and he's gonna want to play. But do they pull the plug and say, Kyrie, don't save us. Man, you could have saved this in overtime, that's for sure, and help us win that game. But maybe they have this meeting and say we need to get bad Kyrie.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 1: It is interesting.
Speaker 5: Christian Clark over at the Athletic is reporting that they want to stay competitive through the end of the year. So, I mean, there was talk that Kyrie could come back by the end of December.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that will happen.
Speaker 5: On the flip side of things, the Jazz have a top eight protected pick that goes to the Oklahoma City Thunder right now.
Speaker 1: They need to start.
Speaker 5: Losing market and you're getting a finger injury playing frisbee or something like that. Because I don't know what's going to happen in the second half of the season. The Thunder can't get two lottery picks.
Speaker 1: They can't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so this result should have gone the other way for the sake of everyone involved.
Speaker 6: I think maybe, yeah, the Jazz and the Clippers, somehow they should involve the Clippers draft pick.
Speaker 4: I don't know in the.
Speaker 6: Three point contest that All Star weekend, like it should just be up for whoever wins, because it is. It is ridiculous, juice the three point that's okay, Yeah, something I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's just such a weird scenario where.
Speaker 6: They that whole thing around the Clippers won't be answered until post All Star Game. There's no doubt about, you know, the Quhi Leonard situation, which is strange.
Speaker 4: It should be done.
Speaker 1: Once Cooper Flag back to him, Like I said, new record as an eighteen year old to score forty plus points in a game. But I got a little trivia here for you guys. Cooper Flag's forty two points tied for fourthmost by a teenager in NBA history. So he accomplished the forty two last night, a week before turning nineteen years old. So you want to take a stab at the other nineteen year olds. They're all nineteen year olds to have more than forty two points in a game.
Speaker 4: Luca, No, no, it's.
Speaker 1: A good guess. How about Brandon Jennings.
Speaker 5: No, no, he wasn't in his teens when he had fifty five or whatever.
Speaker 4: That's crazy.
Speaker 5: To Actually, that's weird. You're right, was so early in the season. But I don't know how old he.
Speaker 1: I guess I guess he wasn't unless ESPN research is wrong here, but fact checked them. Please know he wasn't. He could have been twenty.
Speaker 4: Okay, was that one year in Italy? I'm going to tell Lebron.
Speaker 1: Lebron did forty three when he was just before turning twenty basically, and then the other two are fun. I'm just going to give you a one word hint. Trey Kerby will get it right away. Survivor Cliff Robinson. Cliff Robinson in nineteen eighty went for forty five points as a nineteen year old and was nearly twenty. He was like turning twenty like in three days, and then two thousand. What's that? I think it's the other different Cliff Robinson. Yeah, nineteen eighty Actually, now that I say second, yeah, play for Long was another Cliff Robson. Okay, that older Cliff Robson. But twenty twenty four. I thought you guys might get this. He was a nineteen year old. He was obviously a rookie. It was shocking for draft. He scored forty four points at nineteen years old and one hundred and nineteen days. Twenty twenty four draft was last.
Speaker 6: Year, But it could have been a twenty three draft, right because he said the year two twenty twenty four, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Could have been, but I bet it was a twenty twenty four. This guy is uh sky, Oh, this guy's birthday is tomorrow. He turns twenty one tomorrow, I mean twenty one years of age tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a big number. So it was a rookie year.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, yeah, who was a big scorer last season? So it was two years ago though, Just so you know what twenty three twenty four it is. Oh so twenty three drafts, twenty three draft, I'll tell you right now. He was a second round pick.
Speaker 6: Oh respect respect drafted.
Speaker 1: When did Michael red get drafted? Was he forty fifth overall? This guy may have been the exact same. Nope, Michael Radward forty third. This guy went forty fifth overall.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Give me a conference here, yeah, Western conference. I'll give you his jersey number, forty five. Not Donovan Mitchell. No, No, this is tough.
Speaker 4: Kyle might be Cam Witmore No, No, but you've.
Speaker 1: Got uh no, no, I can't win more. I thought you said, think you said Cam Spencer for a second, he's on that team Houston Rocket number forty five on the Houston Rockets Camp Spencer, I said, oh, Brisley's Gg Jackson. There you go, Gg Jackson the second score forty four as a gay, I don't forget about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's when he got interviewed by Shack. I guess he got on TNT.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all excited.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, there you go. Cool, cool, well, good game well Cooper flag uh Eclipse the forty five from the original Cliff Robinson in his team twenty I think so, yes, yes he could do it this year, probably not before he turns nineteen, but yes he could do it and probably will at some point. Okay, bye, well, Bye of the Night is once again Ho Boy of the Night. Check this out. It's sponsored by another Ho brother. We had Andrew Hoe on yesterday's show. Now we got Christian Hoe. His brother wanted to sponsor this thing.
Speaker 4: Yes, I've seen Christian so Ho.
Speaker 1: Boy of the Night goes to jokich'sier. Ho from last night recorded his twelfth triple double thirty nine points fifteen boards tennis sists, four stocks there, two steals, two blocks five to nine from deep eight of eleven at the line thirteen to twenty seven overall. Wait to go, Yokich. Nice photo one game on tonight task so we know it's our pick of the game.
Speaker 6: Spurs NIX NBA Cup Action. Somehow the Knicks are the home team. Who knows they're playing in Las Vegas.
Speaker 4: It's a small line. It's two and a half point line that the Knicks have to win by three or more.
Speaker 6: But basically we're picking who's winning. Trey and I have the Knicks skeets. You're taking the Spurs. Why are you taking the San Antonio Spurs here an NBA Cup action?
Speaker 4: Because they're good?
Speaker 1: Because they said it yesterday, okay, and they're good? Yes man. You know, I gained a little more confidence when Michael red was sort of leaning towards taking the Spurs tonight. So there you go, Nice. I really I don't care. I just want to really I want the Cup final to be as entertaining as some of these games leading up to it has been. I hope we get a close game between the Spurs and the Knicks.
Speaker 4: Trey, why are you taking the Knicks?
Speaker 1: Knicks are sixteen and six against the spread this year.
Speaker 4: Jeez, I'm all about that spread.
Speaker 6: And it's a bit of an NBA Cup type of game for you guys because you're both four of seven, four and seven this season this month, I should say not this season, and you know December is a long month, but there are going to be days off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to get funky.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I in part took the next because I feel like they're going to be playing for each other.
Speaker 4: Jillen Brunzel was asked what.
Speaker 6: Are you doing with the money by our man James Edwards? Do you have planned to give it to people beyond the team, part of your team staff and all that. He's like, oh, yeah, way to ruin it, man, we're doing it. Yeah, well do you You didn't have to admit it, but but he did, and.
Speaker 1: They see what Town said. No, he's given I believe he said he's giving all of his winnings to Dominican Republicans.
Speaker 4: Like youth sports or something right where his mom was from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, damn, you put that on the line. It's kind of good. You gotta go back down.
Speaker 4: That's a good call.
Speaker 6: That's a good call, and he'll definitely be playing for the demand or the International All Star team right now that if you're doing this, you don't do that.
Speaker 1: Man, we don't know he will do. Hey, those voting for starters, I guess whatever that means at this point, it starts tomorrow. You can start filling out your ballots December seventeenth, on Wednesday. So your starters for both the East and Conference.
Speaker 4: Are the paper ballots dead?
Speaker 1: I believe yeah. I don't think we have any more paper ballots. I don't think you can go to an arena and ask for a ballot to fill out and put it in a box somewhere, all done on your app tasks.
Speaker 6: I was thinking I wanted one. I know you're going. I just want to feel it. I just want to I want to click, clack those chads, popa chat.
Speaker 1: You more than anyone's mister recycle So, I mean, I wouldn't think you would want the wasted paper ballots.
Speaker 6: Well I would recycle it. Well, I know you would, they I would frame it. I just want a paper ballot, a frame.
Speaker 1: I wonder what the last paper ballot was though. How long have we been without actual paper ballots? I don't know. I would I've been a couple of years. Yeah, probably right, memorabilia to hang on ballot.
Speaker 5: I'll be voting for Tyrese Maxie. That's a guy I'm going to put a vote in.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, oh yes, you tipped your hand in our sub stack power rankings that if you are to see a voter to for maybe Tyrese Maxi in timbon tempts MVP straw Pole, that's from you, at least me. That's from me. I did more than one. I was wondering will he get more than one vote? He was my fifth choice?
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, But there's a lot of cases to be made for a fifth choice.
Speaker 1: It's like Wemby and Giannis could be there. Yeah, played a ton of games.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jalen Brown and Maxie are like kind of similar cases, as is Jalen Brunson. So choose who you want, but it should be Maxie. I'm hoping I'm the only one.
Speaker 1: As like like it says like an additional additional because it won't be one that's me.
Speaker 4: I hear you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was tough deciding who's fifth because there's lots of cases.
Speaker 4: Do you want to share your selection as my number five?
Speaker 6: It was a Jalen. It was definitely a Jalen. I wouldn't be Yeah, no, brow be Brandon, No I did go, I said be. It could be brown anyway. I hope you're going to the arena next, I think out of all of us, to the Hawks arena, Yes, Fortress.
Speaker 1: So I'm going Friday night to hopefully see Wemby play.
Speaker 4: Get that ballot if they have them. They probably won't.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'll last for a ballot. Look for a paper, our guy or Kyley, you have a ballot in There's no way, there's no way. The like percentage of people that go to let's just use Atlanta for example, on Friday night. How many people that are walking through that gate on Friday night don't have a phone is what we're getting at here. Very few. I would I almost could say nobody at this point. How would you even get in? You get at I guess it could come with someone that would scan you in. Yeah, yeah, sure, oh yeah, okay.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 6: Kids don't have them children yet, other adults, yeah, they all got them fourteen plus.
Speaker 5: You're talking ninety nine phone. Maybe there's a crusty.
Speaker 1: Old dad out there that I yeah, pop a chat all right before we go. We got a box from the Spurs, a team I'm going to see on Friday night here in Atlanta, and uh, we're gonna unbox it here on the show. Is that the plan?
Speaker 4: That's the plan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, We've got a gift from the Spurs and Ledger. Okay, there's lots of stuff in here, and and it actually has a speaker in the box, so listen.
Speaker 7: In Stori has a ride.
Speaker 6: Yeah, please return of the Max. Wow, And there's lots of cool stuff. I'll pass this around you guys.
Speaker 4: Check this.
Speaker 6: Check this jersey. You could be wearing this on Friday when you go see the Spurs. Here turn my back on my Hawks City Edition.
Speaker 1: Well, these are sick jerseys. They are Oh man, this yeah, this might pick you guys. Wow, that's awesome. There's Wenby on the back web fiestas the Ledger.
Speaker 6: There's so much City Edition gear here. I'll give you your choice of the next because it's got you know, the rope across the yeah cross.
Speaker 1: You put a hat on like that you're voting with the paper ballot.
Speaker 4: But this is a badass shooting shirt as well.
Speaker 1: That is that is cool.
Speaker 4: That's super nice. Well, let's see, let's see get in there.
Speaker 1: This is awesome.
Speaker 4: It's got it all. We got it all here. Pretty stats.
Speaker 1: Turn around for everybody. Those colors, what do you even? What color is that? Teal?
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, Oh my goodness, this is this is my number one color combination, orange.
Speaker 1: Pink and teal. Wow, that's my signature color combination. Not a lot of people know that.
Speaker 4: Shouts to Ledger and yeah, we got three items.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe give me a paper ballot please. I'd like to vote for the old school player. You're voting for Sean Elly.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you've also got the City Edition court here in the box.
Speaker 4: That's pretty cool. Return of the Mac is over. I thought it would play the entire song, but it is cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Also given to us by a Ledger. You want to keep your crypto safe. They've sold or given out eight millions devices, eight million devices, zero hacks. So you pair it with the Ledger wallet phone app. It's the best defense. So get in there with deals if you want, go to ledger dot com. They've got bitcoin vouchers going on, but do it with Ledger.
Speaker 1: We're called no dunks. Ledger might as well be called no hacks. I should consider that nice. I should be their tag, the Ledger Nano Gen five. These guys in there, you're in the crypto game a little bit, aren't your TK, not your keys, not your crypto? Okay, how about that? Well, the piece of the floor, this is game used wood. Oh, it's like game used wood.
Speaker 4: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: You're just showing us photos. Man, there's the actual little piece.
Speaker 4: I didn't realize that was in that box.
Speaker 5: Hey Poppa, I feel like Garth right now because I like those little wood courts.
Speaker 6: It's pretty neat because I've had the old Raptors one, the original piece of the court from literally when the Huskies play the New York Knicks in the forties.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's pretty freaking cool.
Speaker 1: Question, would this be a taboo of me to wear this? Weben Yama jersey down to the Hawks game on Friday night? And now I say this because I'm sitting in a Hawk's members seats. He's very kindly. I got Cliff offered them up. Hu, that's a that's poor taste.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 1: I mean fan. Well, I mean I'm not a Spurs fan. I'm a fan. I'm a Ledger fan. Now after this, I think was here for it would work. Well, it fits over your black sweater. I no, I do like the look you stay warm here in the winter. Yeah, it's cold right now. That's a nice jersey and nice jersey. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think even if you're a Hawks fan, you have to look at that and say it's a nice jersey, respect jersey.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we'll see what happens Friday night. Thank you, thank you, thank you. All right, we'll call it there. Lots of fun here today. Thanks to Michael Red for jumping on with us. That was a treat. Hopefully we'll get him back on talk to him more about the NBA season later on. As I said, I'll add the link to his YouTube page in the show notes. Go check that out, especially that one he posted. I think you guys obviously got a chance to watch it him breaking down with Tea that game against uh against the Lakers obviously where he went for Did he go for forty five? I think he did in that game the Kobe game? Yeah, yeah, yes he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it was a lot of fun. So thanks to Michael Red. Thanks to you for joining us. Hit the like button, subscribe. Thanks the Ledger too for the all the goodies here. More of this, please keep sending in things unboxing. Did you struggle with the unboxing because you know we've seen people do it online trying to record it. You didn't have to do that, but like you know, you were holding it. There's like a lot of things, so song and dance, unboxing something. He balanced it on your shoulder like a boombox. All those years of balancing things at parties finally.
Speaker 4: For this moment. Yeah, it felt good. It's a nice box, very nice box. I didn't you didn't have to deal with too much stuff.
Speaker 1: Clover bros.
Speaker 7: Have you heard it here first, have a great time, turn up, Love you guys, awesome.
Speaker 4: Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 6: And remember Rudolph the Michael red nosed Reindeer loved being on our show. I wonder if he comes up with that for the first kids said he has kids. It's a perfect Christmas song for the fam right brace today people,