Speaker 1: It's it could happen here the podcast where I attempt to wrangle jokes that are enough okay that we keep podcasting. Yeah, with me here to wrangle Robert Evans and also Garrison Davis. Welcome, Welcome back.
Speaker 2: My two uses in this series are to make corrections on Hungarian history of the Holocaust, uh and talk about selling Heroin to children. So proud to be here.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited. You're gonna hear me complain. You're gonna get to listen to me very briefly complain about Plato, a thing I did not think I was gonna do when I started this.
Speaker 2: Like the like the the philosophy guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, okay, all right, okay, So all right, why why are we eventually going to talk about Plato? So? George Soros is probably best known for a foundation that he eventually funds called Open Society. It was O risually the Soros Foundation. Then he was like, why am I naming this after myself? And it changed to Open Society. I'm going to read. So the Open Society is a very sort.
Speaker 2: Of Again, I gotta say, exactly twenty percent more self awareness than you get from the average billionaire. Like Bill Gates is like, well, call it the Gates Foundation. Saurus is like, we'll call it the Soros you know, wait, wait.
Speaker 1: You know, no, you know what. Well, And to be fair, like Soros has Sorros has a real ideology and it it can't work, but if it did, the world wouldn't be that bad, Unlike unlike what would happen if you let Bill Gates run rampant over the earth? Which is the world we live in right now. So I'm going to read a little bit from the influenced Soros again about like what the open society is. I have lived through Nazi persecution and Soviet occupation. Soros later said, Popper's book is Carl Popper Open Society and His Enemies, struck me with the force of revelation. It showed that fascism and communism have a lot in common, that they both stand in opposition to a different principle of social organization, the principle of open society. So, okay, I read this, and I was like, okay, so let's go, let's go, let's go read Carl Popper's book, which is called The Open Society and Its Enemies. And so I assumed, right, that's interesting me.
Speaker 2: I was also doing poppers last night.
Speaker 1: You had the superior experience with your poppers. I'm assuming I had a bad fucking time. I read this like last week.
Speaker 2: She got mears from a gas station too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, instead I got it from the internet for free, which questionable results. So okay, so I read this book, right, So this is Karl Popper is like normally a philosopher of well, he's like a scientist, right, He's most famous for like philosophy of science stuff. But he also wrote this book, and this is his critique of totalitarianism. So okay, I'm expecting, right, it's going to be half of it's gonna be about the Nazis and half of it's gonna be about the communist right. No, the first half of this book is about Plato and the second half of this book is about Marks. But he spends like two hundred pages yelling at Plato. And to be fair, everything he says about Plato and about why Plato is totalitarian is completely true. But like his conclusion about what totalitarianism is is that totalitarianism is descendant. It's like the product of this thing he calls historicism, which is when like you have one thing that's the agent of history, and so he sees like like I don't know, like a great man or like the guy whatever Hegel's geist, or like one great nation, or like a great class as like those are all examples of his historicism. And if you think about history like this, you will this is how totalitarianism is born. And I am incredibly skeptical of that, of the view of the way you look think about history being the origin metal talitarianism. I I don't know. It's it's a very very weird book. In a lot of ways. Paper is trying to do this thing that like a lot of kind of liberal philosophers of that period is doing, which is that she's trying to reconcile sort of like individual freedom but then also sort of economic glitarianism. And you know, okay, so if you were actually serious about doing both of these things right, like the two things you care about on earth are protecting individual freedom and it's gieving economic calitarianism, you have two options. You either become an anarchist and you sacrifice neither of your values, or you become a neoliberal and you sacrifice both. And Popper, unfortunately takes a second route, and.
Speaker 2: I feel like a lot of the a lot of the conflict between kind of like reconciling, you know, the Great Man theory of history with some of these other like it comes out of an unwillingness to look at systems of power, because the extent to which like individual weirdos and their obsessions influence history is largely due to or is largely like related to the degree of power that like different systems allow to be invested into like individual weirdos. Like it's it's less a matter of like you've got these sort of you know, in that kind of fascist idea, you've got these sort of individuals who embody the spirit of a people and more, if your system allows huge amounts of power to be invested in individual people with their weird hang ups, than those weird hang ups of this one guy may wind up defining history. I don't know, this is this this is an unrelated rant.
Speaker 1: I think it is related because this this is sort of the core flaw of this ideology, which is that these people conclude okay, so like they don't okay, the the the thing that they have to do, like pop rass to do right because he like acknowledges that a lot of the Marxist critique is really powerful and that like it is in fact not very good that you have an entire class of people who like survive off of extracting like labor from another class of people. But you know, if you accept that, right, you can't actually like defend capitalism on the merits of it being an economic system. You have to like do this like circle run around dance of like defending ideas, and this all gets like gets to this point where the problem that you're talking about happens, which is that like, well, okay, capitalism is also a system where one really weird guy and he's like terrible ideas can have an enormous impact on how society operates. Like this is this is this is this is the thing we're all suffering from from like Elon Musk, right or like what what's that guy's name, like Robert Moses, right, Like yeah, like you know, like capitalism is absolutely assistant that generates just one guy who can just fuck everyone's And that's a.
Speaker 2: Perfect example of it because like the fact that Moses has these weird personal hang ups around public transportation and this love of being driven around influences how tens of millions of people live to this day, and influences like the global climate crisis. And so it's not like this great man didn't like grab the lathe of heaven. It was more like, no, our we we our society kind of like the system we set up allowed an enormous amount of power for this specific thing. How our cities are set up to be invested in an unelected weirdo because he was the only one interested enough to focus on it, and that led to this very bad situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like I think I think Pomper's think of that. I was like, well, okay, you do you deal with this by like just having elections for everyone? And it's like, well, okay, Like so sometimes you have election. We never vote for crazy assholes, thank god. Sometimes sometimes sometimes you get Donald Trump, right, Like, you know, these these are these are these are things that are going to haunt both Popper. Popper doesn't live long enough to see like the absolute worst this can possibly go, But George Sorows unfortunately has lived to see exactly how value this this can possibly go.
Speaker 2: But let's call him, let's let's call him by his nickname from from now on uh G sizzle. Is that good? We're not doing that.
Speaker 1: We're not doing that.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you, Garrison. This is this is this is why you're this is why you're here. You have power of attorney over what nicknames we call the subjects of the episodes.
Speaker 1: I will I will keep it and reserve this power.
Speaker 2: See this is we're We've built assist him to try and uh and stop you know, individuals with with weird hang ups from influencing history so much. It's that simple, folks, you know, devolve powers. Yeah, works great for unprecedency.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, we're you have to talk about Ugoslavia in this episode, so it doesn't always work. But all right, so back back, back back in sort of the heady days of the seventies and eighties, George Soros like, okay, he has a dual thing where he at once has his kind of crisis a conscience thing where he's like, I want to actually do something with my life that's not just you know how, I want to have an impact on the world that is positive and not like I made so much money that like gods look at it and vomit and so and so. Okay, so his solution is he sets up a tax dodge, and he's actually very explicit about those interviews that his first foundation to do charity work was set up as a tax But but this is where Soros is very interesting, right, because he has you know, for for like a billionaire, right, he has some positions that are started only very good. So he is anti apartheid and that is like not a thing you can guarantee from people in that era, like oh boy. He also and this is only I guess gets him in trouble like to this day, is he is pro Palestine. And this is part of why like net and Yah, who absolutely hates him, he's he's not like like okay, he's he's not.
Speaker 2: Like a radical pro Palestine by the standards of net and Yahoo a radical.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah. It was like his you know his sort of like like his sort of like liberal humanism, like hey, we should not like shoot children with guns.
Speaker 2: Thing is Broadley anti shooting children?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like like that that that makes you a like like like enemy number one of the Israeli still all yeah, no, I okay, put them in like.
Speaker 2: I mean the number one is those kids.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they haven't wrapped him yet. So oh God, speaking of things that the Israeli government didn't do. So he gets his start.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to do an ad.
Speaker 1: I don't worry, I have a better one.
Speaker 2: It's kind of good.
Speaker 1: So in that day, his first experience, like doing charity work is he decides that he's going to go up against like apartheid in South Africa, and yeah, this is good. So he what he starts doing. He starts giving scholarships to black students to go to the University of Cape Town, and then he learns a very very important lesson about neoliberalism that he's about he's going to like promptly forget after this, which is that. Okay, So what actually happened what he thinks is going to happen, right, is what he's trying to do is he's trying to make, you know, he's trying to make sure there's more money for black kids to go to go to university. What actually happens is that the state uses his money to pay for the existing scholarships and stops paying for any more scholarships. And so there's two things going on here, right. One is the obvious, this is the this is the apartheid racism right, like they don't want more like they don't want more non white kids going to school. But then two also this is also sort of a classic dear liberal failure, which is like if you were, if you were when you replace the state with like billionaire philanthropists, the state simply instead of like you know, having more of the of like the resources of the services provided, the state just stops doing it and spends more money on cops. And so he sours very quickly realizes that, like he figures this out, it is like I fuck this, Like, no, I'm not going to help you, like I'm not going to help the apartect government do racism. And so this makes him kind of weary of this stuff because he has sort of he has sort of seen how you see what happens when you when you very explicitly try to work within a system that is unbelievably fucked up, which is that the apartheid government uses your money to as a way to like funnel more of their own life into their own pockets. And do you know who else use the system of aparthid to funnel more money into their own pockets?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I see, I now see what you were doing. I think the last I think the previous attempt to not break was actually better. I was kind of like, you know, you know.
Speaker 1: I.
Speaker 2: Correct that our podcasts are entirely sponsored via a time machine. We used to go back to apartheid South Africa uh and get their advertising dollars. So please keep the krue grands flowing, uh and and purchase these products and services. I learned that kruegrands was the South African currency from the movie Lethal Weapon two. We're back and I'm sitting uncomfortable in the knowledge that I am the only person on this zoom call who has watched Lethal Weapon too. Have either of you seen any of the Lethal's weapons? No, unbelievable. You're missing maybe the best Mel Gibson performance outside of that time he got pulled over in Malibu and gave a racist brant to those California State Highway Patrol officers. Uh.
Speaker 1: Okay, regarding of people who are about to give racist rants. Okay. So the the other thing about Soros, and the thing that is sort of blisteringly ironic about how the sort of course of anti Soro's attacks go, is that Soros is like a vehement, like pretty hardline anti communist and this is what he spends most of his time like in the eighties doing, is is you'll like give giving money to anti communist groups and communist countries. So he funds Solidarity in Poland, which is this like very mixed record. Well we'll get the we don't need it.
Speaker 2: He's funding anti communist causes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's funny, but you know he's funny. He's trying to fund like a very specific kind of like liberal anti communist cause, right, And you know this this goes badly for him in a number of ways. One is that the moment, like the moment the Berlin Wall falls, everyone just like suddenly forgets about all of the anti communism that he did, because you know, and this is something about there's a kind of anti communists that he is, right, Like, there's a lot of anti communists who are like who are just like Deak squad guys, right, Like this is your like your guy trained by Shan Kai Shek who's like shooting peasants in like El Salvador. Right. There's also like another kind of anti communists in this era who are sort of liberal anti communists who like are anti communists but like also anti Pinochet, for example, like Soros give somebody to the people, you know, wh when Pinochet has this big referendum of his like should I stay in power? He gives money to the people who are like no, and those are people who, ah, their intentions are better than the just like absolutely horrifying right wingers. But you know, it doesn't it doesn't go great for him. So Soros his initial plan, right is he's gonna you know, okay, when you're trying to like start funding anti communist group, She's gonna use this things. Like he was gonna go into Hungary and he was gonna like give Hungarian students scholarships, and the Hungarian students were like, don't do this. Like if you if you just show up and give us money, the state is immediately going to be able to go like, hey, you were like outside funded opposition people doing like regime change stuff, and it's gonna like immediately discredit us. And so this is the point where he sets up the SOUS Foundation, which becomes opens There's a whole thing with this. This this stuff changes names like many times, the Open Society Foundation stuff. Yeah, yeah, and you know, and so you know what we like, we just talked about what they actually do because in sort of like that.
Speaker 2: And I can tell you one thing that they do because I used to work with when I was a teaching classes at Belling Cat my partner, my partner, John Carlo, he would go and teach because he he was born and for at least a period of time raised in Venezuela. He would teach classes in Latin America to local journalists who wanted to know open source investigative techniques and who didn't have the kind of money to pay what it usually costs to do a Belling Cat thing. And that program whereby a bunch of journalists in Latin America, particularly Colombia, got training, was funded by the Open Society Foundation. And so a couple of years ago when there was that massive swelling of like the police murdering people and protest crowds and stuff in Colombia, the journalists who were like doing open source investigation to track down which police officers were, you know, killing folks and how this was going were a lot of the folks that John Carlow had trained. Like that's the kind of stuff that one of the kind of things that the Open Society Foundation does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they also do a lot of They do a lot of like giving students scholarships. The other thing they're really big on that doesn't get talked about much is that there were huge on like cultural events basically like like paying people money to like put on plays and like theater stuff and music and like writing poems and books, which is like, I don't know, like I actually think that's cool, Like like we as a society used to do this, Like we used to like pay people, like the government used to pay people to like write things and like create art, and then we decided that that was bad and I've never done it again.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm anti creating art for the record, That's why I'm really happy about all this AI stuff.
Speaker 3: Bait bait, yeah, bait post do not engage.
Speaker 1: So Unfortunately for the Sorrows Foundation, one of the people they give these these scholarships to is victor Or Braun, which is I.
Speaker 2: Victory the Hungarian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, we shall, we shall return to that. This is I think maybe the single greatest example of like creating young grave Digger I've ever seen in my entire life. I I I don't know, like one of the things that that comes up about this and this is this is one of the things that another one of the guys who Sorrows backs, who like betrays him later on says that Sorrows is bad at politics, Like he's just not he's like not very good at it. Like he's not you know, people like the sort of like thing about him is that he's the sort of like criminal mastermind who can like like bankraill revolutions and stuff. And she just like gets out maneuvered by people constantly in ways that are like kind of depressing. Yeah, but okay, so he's spending the eighties like doing all this, you know, like doing this sort of cultural work, and you know in Hungary, right, this is there's a sort of interesting thing that happens where like he's wealthy enough that like even the Communist Party is it sort of like has to work with him because he has money and they sort of don't. But you know, the other thing that that's I think important to understand is that he's not like there's a bunch of foundations you do, like exactly the same stuff, right, like maybe slightly worse. Like you know, there's like the Ford Foundation, there's like the Rockefellers, right, or the Rockefeller Foundation, like they all they all like at any place where open society is like doing stuff, there's like a worse version of it that the Ford Foundation and like the Rockefellers are doing. But you know, somehow, stunningly, only one of these groups is singled out for being yelled at all the time. And I will I will leave as an exercise to the reader why specifically they picked Soros and not Ford. Huh huh.
Speaker 3: I wonder, I wonder what big mystery. I wonder what differences and cultural views might be.
Speaker 1: It might be a yeah, so okay. The other real problem that he runs into, which is a cultural problem, is that, Okay, this is the problem that all the liberal anti communists run into, which is that, Okay, so the walls come down, right and the communist governments fall, and it turns out that the anti communists in the Eastern Europe are almost all right wingers, and their base are all like right wing nationalists fanatics. Here's another source quote about this. I thought I would blaze the trail, I would lead and others would follow. But now that I look back, I find that there was practically nobody behind me. I asked myself what went wrong, and part of what went wrong is like what Soros is doing in these places. So for example, you know, he's he's involved in funding solidarity, he's involved in some solidarities negotiations with the government. And then the other thing that he does is he's one of the people who he help like do structural adjustment in Poland. And this goes really badly because so what we were talking about, Wes just talk a little bit about what solidarity is, because he helps destroy it by accident. Solidarity is this giant sort of like social democratic e union that forms in you know, in like the early eighties in Poland. That's like the first sort of independent union in one of these communist countries. And they eventually are able to sort of like knock off the government, but they come into power, and you know, so they do on sort of so US's advice and on the advice of a lot of the sort of financial people. They're getting right, all of the people are telling them to do privatization, so they do it right. They privatize all of these giant state owned like facilities, they privatize their docks like stuff like that, and this it turns out it just causes massive d industrialization. It destroys Solidarity's base because there's suddenly no longer all of these union jobs at all these state owned factories, and so you know, they lose an excellent actually and that solid already like vanishes forever into the midst of time. There's like six of those guys left. Yeah, and this and this is a real sort of sorts problem. This that like keeps running over and over again, right is you know, he spent all this time being an anti communist, but then the actual anti communists who have basses and who aren't just like destroying their own bases by like doing privatization, which is something stuff he's also pushing, right are these right wingers and this is this is just sort of a fiasco. And you know, it's like he he does, like he tries to do like a very similar thing to what he'd been doing in Eastern Europe and China, and this goes like even worse because he winds up like backing he winds up backing one of the CCP factions who gets purged after Tienemann, And so you know, sorros like as the sort of nineties go on right, Like he's sort of slowly starting to realize that like the stuff that these doings not working very well, and one of the sort of I don't know if consequence is the right word, but okay, one of sours are sort of like principles that makes them different from a lot of other of these billionaires rights. He doesn't do humanitarian aid. His thing is that like he wants to produce a society that doesn't need humanitarian aid, which is sort of noble. But like then then Yugoslavia falls apart, and he winds up doing a bunch of stuff in Yugoslavia, Like he winds up building like a water purification plant Sarajevo whilside resiege. And the other thing that I didn't know he was like really heavily involved with is like he's basically the reason why the UN War Crimes tribunal that like tries some Miloshevic and stuff like happens, Like he funds it. It wasn't really like a UN thing he was. He was like, Hey, we're gonna have this tribunal. And then the German government like arrested one of the war criminals just sort of randomly at like an airport or something, and he's able to convince sort of like Clinton and a bunch of other people to like actually turn and the un to like turn this into a real court. And this pisses off a lot of people, and like by by a lot of people, I mean, like very specifically pisses Melosa Chi cough because somewhat obvious reasons that he's trying to try him for war crimes. Okay, so I think, gar you're too young for this. Robert, do you remember Rock the Vote?
Speaker 2: God? Oh yes, I remember Rock the Vote.
Speaker 1: Okay. So one of the things Soros does is he does like a he brings like a rock to vote. He's like one of the people who brings the rock to vote to like Slovakia great. And you know, and this is the first time.
Speaker 2: That this is how we introduce people to democracy by showing how cringe it can be perfectly well.
Speaker 1: And the government is immediately immediately This is sort of the first time that like a government is seriously like, well, I mean, it's not okay. This is the first time that you've had like a protest movement that starts and the head of the country goes like it's George Soros. He's the one doing this, even though like the Ford Foundation again and the Rockefellers and just like a bunch of random people in Slovakia are also doing this. But this is this is this is sort of going to become like a pattern in in in these things, because you know, he he's sort of like like I think he's kind of like poking a lot of sort of very powerful like increasingly powerful sort of regional right wing leaders because he looks at the societies and are like, actually, it sucks to have like just dog shit right wingers who are like racist and hate everyone running a country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sounds like it would be bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this is this is the thing about worlds, like he every once in a while, right, he sees something really bad going on and goes, I'm gonna throw a bunch of money at it try to fix it. And so one of the things that he does this for is the war on drugs, like in the in sort of the eighties and nineties, Like Saras looks at this and it's like this fucking sucks, Like this is really bad. And so he starts working in Baltimore, where the government is trying to do like something something like pretty like something like even now is to consider sort of like pretty radical I like harm reduction stuff. So I mean they like it. Like Baltimore in the nineties has needle exchanges. He's doing like Narcan trainings for people. He's you know, he's doing things like funny instead of like like giving money to like he's doing he tyes these programs to like get people out of like prison faster. And he's doing like after school programs for kids and this stuff like this just like genuinely good. Like there's no like I don't know, it sucks that like it's it's billionaire money that's like doing it. But like I don't know, like probably there's a lot of people who are alive because I didn't get HIV from needles that they were able to do exchanges for.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Sure, that's all. That's all good stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And but you know the interesting thing about Storts, right, he's he's like not like you know, he's doing stuff that's like pretty lefty, right, but he's like not a partisan guy until he sees George Bush and he sees he's he like the day after nine to eleven, he's like, holy shit, this guy is a maniac, and like he's just instantly has like the switch flips of like this man, this man is an enemy who opens society, which is true. And he's like he's he like, guess this braid of like I need to bring this man down. So he starts getting really for the first time, right, he starts getting really really involved in the two thousand and four election. He's doing like like these like micro targeting ad stuff. He's like throwing money around everywhere, and you know, I mean he explicitly like the like the way he looks at it, like if he's very explicit about this is like he wants to level the like the playing field between the Republicans, who are funded by just a trillion routling billionaires and the Democrats, who are funded by not that many billionaires. The problem with this is that he has like a very weird view of what's wrong with Bush. I'm gonna read from the people the storms again in imposing its view of freedom on both the American people in a foreign country. Quote, the supremacist ideology of the Bush administration, and it is in contradiction with the principles of open society because it claims possession of an ultimate truth, which I don't know. I don't actually think like claiming possession of an ultimate truth is like specifically the thing that like is the bason why the Bush administration is bad. But simultaneously I don't know, Like I it's hard for me to be like too bad about a billionaire seeing George Bush and just like going, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah it didn't it didn't work, but it yeah, good that he gave it, gave it the old college try.
Speaker 1: Yeah well. And unfortunately this this has a backlash effect, which the Republicans see him start doing this, and they're like, oh shit, this is incredible campaign material for us. And we start seeing like the sort of the less openly anti Semitic like precursors to like all the stuff we see today, like Bill O'Reilly goes after him. Oh god, Robert, do you remember Dennis Hastard?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh look, if I'm my favorite pedophiles who were long standing speakers of the House of Representatives, Dennis Hastard is easily in the top three.
Speaker 1: She I this is the thing that's been like collectively wiped from like America's conscience. Is that like the Republican Speaker of the House for like twenty years, was like one of one of one of history's most prolific pedophiles.
Speaker 2: He sure was.
Speaker 1: And she also turns out one of the people who mainstream the anti Soros stuff. She starts citing a fucking Lyndon LaRouche quote n quote report claiming that soroscott is money from drugs. So Lynda Laruche is this like fascist weirdo who cut his teeth and running this like anti communist cult that would like physically fight leftist groups on campuses and would like give information on like student leftist groups and like other lefist groups or the government like they are they are so fedted up that like if you start reading about de LaRue sites like they were narking to federal orgs like you've never heard of before, it's stunningly, stunningly bizarre like conspiracy cult thing. And Dennis Hastert was just straight up like reading their anti Semitic conspiracy theories like on TV. But you know, and I think I think it's something that that's one of the things I wanted to emphasize, like in this episode, right, is like the anti Soro stuff isn't really like I don't know what you call it, like sort of organic anti semitism, Like it's not something that like comes from the Republican base, right, This is thing that this is a deliberate choice by Republican political strategists who are very deliberately like this, this is this is a Jewish billionaire who's helping who's helping a Democratic party, like we can use this to do what to try to do like culture warship to win this election, and you know, like you we know we can see the results of this. And this isn't even you know, we're gonna get this in a little bit, but like this this isn't even the only time this is gonna happen where like the specific like Soros like anti Semtism stuff for dreaming against is like it's cooked up by like like very specifically cooked up as a targeted thing by political strategists.
Speaker 2: I love it, which it's it's good.
Speaker 1: Anyways, we should we should do ads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of anti semitism, you know, just just speaking about it, that's what we're doing here. Anyway, here's the mads. Ah, we're back. Got another email from the A d L. I'm gonna deal with this, y'all continue talking about George Soros.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, So all right, the other thing Soros keeps doing, like, you know, so in going after Bush, right, he has now made himself like he's not enemy number one yet, but he's going he's made himself like a pretty high profile enemy of the Republican like through the shoe. Yeah, yeah, yeah, so that guy actually sucks.
Speaker 2: I yeah, yeah, we're not praising him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He starts this sort of like arc of pissing off a bunch of really really powerful and important people who are anti Semitic right wingers. So remember how I a while back, I said I was talking about there was a guy who double crossed Soros who was like, this guy's bad at politics. So that guy was like a uh that that that that guy. That guy was a Georgian protest leader who Soros like helped like his protest movements overthrow a sort of like kind of pretty shitty like pro Russian government in Georgia. But like that guy, that guy has like a wild arc that you could do his own fucking movie series on. He's now a victory a close ally of Victoria Bond. So it's going great, how do you actually pronounce his name? For some reason, it always just like pings off my brain.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean or Garren. I hear the real brain Trust to ask about pronunciation. You've brought together, you know, just the goat latest pronunciators. Just send me a list of like European cities. That's a free episode idea there you go. Yeah, I'm just gonna say the word Binghamton like forty seven times. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Okay, So sorrows back to say this gets called the Rose Revolution, and you know, this turns out badly for Soros in every possible way, which is that like one his guy like sucks and turns on him, and then two he really like this like really pisses off. Laedimer putin a man who is going to hold this grudge, like like on his deathbed. He will be holding this grudge now, okay. So one of the things that that sort of like happens. So he's backing these sort of like protest movements in Eastern Europe. Ifuse the sort of two thousands, and you know, as the two thousands go on and turn in two thousand and eight, thing, the world economy goes to shit. A bunch of right wingers started taking power, and one of Victor Rabond's like political consultants, who's this guy? Who he that through net and Yahoo like specifically like this is this is another consultant guy very specifically cooks up the idea for how you know, he's trying to fend off like a right like a sort of another sort of right wing challenge. He trying to fend off like the rest of our political establishment. And or Bond's consultant like very specifically is like what if we go after Soros again? And you know, and so he does and this is this is another one of those things like this is literally the anti Semitism is fucking cooked up in a pr lab in in in order for these people to win elections. And I don't know that that that just sort of just sort of like cynical cold bloodedness of it, like of these people, like this political consultant, by the way, like is also Jewish, right like, and he just doesn't give a shit. He's like a fuck it, like well, you know, like I I'm like one of Netanyahu's guys net and Yah, who fucking hates this guy too? Like why don't we just use him as a punching bag and so they you and you know this is this is part of a big part of the reason like why Sorows turns into the sort of enemy number one is that in two fifteen they start blaming him for the influx of refugees from Syria. And this bread is like fucking wildfire. Suddenly like every single right wing leader on Earth is like, oh shit, I can blame all of my refugee stuff on this guy. And they start doing it. And you know, so suddenly like like air Dowan is blaming him for like the gutsy part protests and he does at thirteen, like Trump gets on this, and you know, this stuff sort of like it's it spreads really quickly, and once it's sort of out of the bottle, right like you know, like people look like there are the people who sort of first start this right are doing this sort of like you know, like incredibly cold, cynical political calculus. But once once that once this like incredibly high level that is sent and he Sentism gets out of the open, it starts turning into just like Sorows of Satan shit. And you know, and and part part of what happens here is is that like this is this is one of the things, like that the sort of campaigns against Soros is one of the things that he is responsible for, like our current like migrant policy, like why it's so bad? Like why like half our episodes next week and are gonna be about like just horrible shit happening at the border, which is that Like Soros in the in the like the late the nineties and two thousands found out that like Clinton was funding his welfare reform by cutting legal immigrants off from food stamps and like SSI benefits, and he's like, wait.
Speaker 4: This is fuck yeah, it's just like like he caught one point five million people off of his off of fucking benefits for just no reason, like unbelievably demonic act.
Speaker 1: And Sorrow finds out about this, is like wait, what the fuck what do you mean he's doing this? So he like puts a coalition together that like funds a bunch of immigrant advocacy groups, and he's able to overturn this. But there there's a sort of right with the right wing reaction to this, right like par Is partially also part of the right wing reaction to Soorros. Two thousand and four, there's this very very effective and like unbelievably brutal sort of right wing backlash about immigration politics. That is, you know, it's one of the things that drives the Obama administration.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: The Obama administration is like worse than the Bush administration on like deportation shit. It's you know, just utter horror, and all of that stuff continues, and all of these right wing people figure out that if you can just pin like like Trump starts with Trump pins the migrant caravent on Soros and they figure out, like, this is the This is like the specific combination, right It's like the the the anti semitism of like the Jewish banker bringing immigrants into your country is just like the sort of one way shop driving your entire country into like a like fascist right wing frenzy. And it works. And now, you know, like the cycle that we're in now is like anytime something happens, uh, like the right blames h for it like this. So the the the the current right wing panic is that George Soros was funding some like pretty moderate like reform DA people because he's a criminal justice reform guy, and the Republicans are now all talking about how this is like a scheme by Soros to like cause crime and like destroy the entire country, and unfortunately, like this is just like this is this is just this is just reality now all of these like really bleakly cynical political leaders and they're like polsters and pr consultants, where like we could use anti Semitism to win elections and they did and now we live in hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but on the up side, you know, uh, the you know, have you guys had the uh the new uh the new mountain dew zero major melon. It's not tasty, but it's in grocery stores, so if you're looking for a diet mountain dew flavor, you know, that makes it all kind of worthwhile.
Speaker 1: I don't know lism no longer even delivering flavor.
Speaker 2: That's what I had for you. It was that or another heroine.
Speaker 3: Why why would they need to deliver flavor when instead they can just continue to mainstream anti semitism to get right wing politicians elected so they can make say.
Speaker 2: But you know what I've been I've been studying this can for a while now, and none of the anthropomorphized watermelons look like they could be racial caricatures. So that's a win.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Look, if that is, if that is actually that actually is a racism wind.
Speaker 2: If Mountain Dew had made a melon version in nineteen thirty, it would have been pretty bad. Like we would be sharing pictures of those cans on Twitter today and going, oh my god. They would have to make a statement, they'd have to donate some money to like, I don't know, fun to, probably scholarships or something. It'd be a real problem for Mountain Dew, is what I'm saying. But today, nothing problematic about the melons on their can.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure there's nothing problematic about the soda industry.
Speaker 2: Aspertaine, the health chemical.
Speaker 1: Well is that is that all we had? Me?
Speaker 3: Yo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's yeah, this is this is endicular apple here.
Speaker 3: Well it's I think now now we finally know why George Soros is as bad as Magneto, and and why comparing George Soros to Magneto as the one of the richest men in the world who owns probably the most influential communication app is probably not a good thing.
Speaker 1: You know, Okay, one word thing I want to get it fine, Like for one second that I forgot I realized I forgot to say earlier, is that like Soros is not like in the scale of billionaire, Soros is not very rich, Like he's like the three hundred and so vandieth richest billionaire, Like he's not even in the top one hundred. Right. Elon Musk he has like six billion dollars. Elon Musk has like one hundred and eighty four billion dollars or something. So like, you know, the the the relative levels of influence that these people have. No.
Speaker 3: I was talking about Elon Musk, Yeah, yeah, one of the chest most influential people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. Just I just I need everyone to understand exactly how much more fucking rich it's. It's it's it's like fucking it's like when fucking Henry Ford was like doing anti Semitic conspiracy series, and it's like you literally like like you personally literally control like more wealth than like all the people you're ranting about combined. Like, shut the fuck up, Oh my god, huh anti semitism, folks, it sucks. And also rich people do it even though they're they are the actual like the actual yeah, in in so far as anything even remotely like what they're hypothesizing could even potentially exist. It's fucking these people, so yeah, they're bad.
Speaker 2: It could happen here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Speaker 3: You can find sources for It could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.