Speaker 1: Why isn't Carrie in the writer's room Chase show be careful, Rose, careful?
Speaker 2: You absolutely good?
Speaker 1: She's sheen?
Speaker 2: Im me, no, me not name? What is your childhood? I am a school You going down the floor like around, and just like that, it's another Paywald episode of like a virgin Rose. Here we are and here you are yawning. Maybe are you going to introduce yourself? My name is fran Torado. Woke moment, I'm woke moment, Rose. Where do we start?
Speaker 1: So? Producer Phoebe really wanted us to talk about the strap on that Miranda wears, and and just like so, I.
Speaker 2: Guess I do think I think that's a good place for us to start. So wait, I actually forgot what it was. Please tell me it's not the right one.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's like a full body harness. Harness, yeah, which is like not that's not common. I've never seen it was crazy, it's same together. She was wearing like a harness that like a gay guy would wear a horse meat dishes and then then also attached to a harness that you know she wanted to fuck ch Dias with.
Speaker 2: It's It's okay. This actually is so emblematic of like the ethical and emotional crisis of trying to drop critique on this show, because at one point I actually have empathy for the prop designer, and it's like, we need this to be funny, and so let me try and find the funny looking strap that I can get and like this like horse meat disco full body situation that looks tacky as fuck. Sorry, is probably gonna be really funny for Cynthia Nixon to play with, but we as a community are like, what the fuck is that strap? But also, honestly, Jadas has such bad taste that they would have that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it does put me in mind of the of the The Cut profile on Sarahmirez, in which there was some line about like, can't they just portray queer people who aren't lame? I haven't read that. Actually I really need to. Like it's so trolley, it's great, Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't like troll journalism, so I might have nuanced thoughts about that.
Speaker 1: Next week we'll see, Okay, I can't hear those, so okay, And just like that. The first two episodes dropped on Thursday. Generally top line, the headline of it is that I thought they were better than the first season. I at least felt like the show was more fun than a lot of last season. I mean, yeah, you know, a lot.
Speaker 2: Of sex back in the.
Speaker 1: City, and I think they wanted to shove that right in our faces with at the very beginning, it was all having sex.
Speaker 2: Which was bad. It was a bad opening sequence. Can we say that I didn't think it was bad. You thought that the opening sequence of like what nine different like women only three of which we care about, are having sex while Elton John's remix with Brittany of Hold Me Closer, Tiny Dancer was playing the entire time, you thought that was good television.
Speaker 1: I didn't think. I didn't say it was good. I said I didn't think it was bad. I thought it was funny, like and of course there are things I would change. I mean, and that's the thing is like, and I'm trying, I'm trying to lead with positivity. This is what I'm saying. You won't let me. Okay, you're right, I went into and this is this is the thing with and just like that, it's like, yes, the baseline is, we know it's bad. It's wrong, it shouldn't be happening.
Speaker 2: I will watch every single episode in existence until I.
Speaker 1: Don't yees so, and I would watch it if it was on like a twenty four hour stream every day, I would watch it. But that but with it, with it being like a bad shoe. I thought that these two episodes were at least a lot more fun than a lot of the grieving widow stuff from last year. The characters felt slightly more like the characters we knew and loved. I thought the newer characters were better balanced and that their storylines were I think, better woven into the show. I still don't want them there, but this, if we have to have them, I'm a little more okay with how they're being portrayed. All that being said, I did not laugh out loud once. I can't remember a single look that anyone wore except for Carrie with the pigeon purse.
Speaker 2: The pigeon and the J. W Anderson pigeon purse.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I am so mad about the real Deal storyline, And honestly, basically I like everything and honestly basically everything having to do with Charlotte. I think Charlotte is suffering the most out of anyone on the show.
Speaker 2: I'm gathering my thoughts on this in real time. But I want to echo and affirm my colleague and say, rose domiue, yes, you're right. The baseline is that it's bad, and I actually do think it is bad good now. I think a lot of the first season felt kind of bad bad with a lot of bad good. Maybe like the latter half of the show is like harder to watch. I laughed out loud many times. I actually thought there were a lot of things that happened in the first two episodes and mind you, we know this this week. Yeah, we've only seen two episodes of the show. I thought there were a lot of things where I was like, this is pretty slapstick. I'm having a lot of fun. I did feel, like you said, like they were leaning into the sex and leaning into like, okay, how can we really have fun and put this like widow stuff on pause? Chay and Miranda. I mean, I'm glad that we're seeing that their relationship is dysfunctional. We do not need another episode about Chay. Chaye needs to go now. Like That's how I feel. I feel like it's run its course and we just need one other big, horrible thing for them to do, and that's it.
Speaker 1: I'm also okay, I hear you, and believe me, no one wants chag On more than I do. That being said, and this is where I come back to my original point. We have to have Chay, I at least feel like they're doing somewhat interesting stuff with them, like the stuff about the costume fitting and their body image and like not being like the right kind of non binary, and the stuff with Tony Danza as being their dad.
Speaker 2: Like, I just don't. I don't think it's I don't think it's good storytelling out all, but I do like Chay as a ridiculous figure. But I'm sorry I to disagree with you. But I also don't think sophoebe saying in the chat was like Chay crying about the body image even real I thought it was fake, did you do? I thought it was a manipulation tactic.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think the show is like layered or smart enough to have that to be subterfuged, like everything is what you're seeing is what you're getting.
Speaker 2: Well, that's disappointing because for me, I feel like Miranda, same as last season, is still suffering the most from the writing of the show. I do not want to see Miranda as this fresh out of the closet like codependent queer baby, like it is like it is like that is like that type of person, the person that we see. Oh my god, Phoebe's referencing I don't know. I also tragic, Like it's just not These are not the qualities of a likable person or character, and Miranda is an extremely likable character, an extremely likable person despite the block.
Speaker 1: If you want to hear all of our thoughts about the first two episodes of Men Just Like That, from Cynthia Nixon's orgasming skills to our thoughts on the change as of it all, go to patreon dot com slash like a version and become a patron