Therésa: Hey, Hantos, I'm back. The meeting with my caseworker Sharon didn't go as planned. I haven't crossed over, and I'm still here, at least for now, or I guess possibly forever. You know, I'm starting to wonder if my unfinished business maybe isn't my follower count. I also found out Sharon's taking on Jimmy Buffett as a client now too, and I'm just worried I'm not gonna get as much attention. You know what, whatever, I don't need Sharon. Okay, I've eaten at the Margaritaville in the Fort Lauderdale Airport, so I've already been to hell. Screw you, Jimmy Buffett.
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Oh sick Glenn. If I ever meet him, I'll be sure to mention what a fan you are. Yeah. Sorry, I'm not really feeling like myself today. Normally, when I felt off in the real world, i'd get super high and binge One Tree Hill. Anyway, if any of the ghouls listening want to share the ways they cheer themselves up, I'm all ears boy smells huh oh boys souls. Yeah, that's not a bad idea, all Right before we get into today's episode, we have got a quick message from one of our sponsors as a beauty and wellness influencer and leveled to Matt Palate's instructor. Taking care of my body is my top priority. That's why I love Total Greens. Are you kidding me for the millionth time? I'm a formless, non caportal entity. Do this, I can't today,
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Great you forgot the promo code.
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: No. I don't want to oversell, but this next story even had me on edge. Ronnie and Amanda thought they'd found their dream home, but they couldn't escape the evil in the basement.
STORY A: I started seeing a shadow figure around the house. Over time, it kind of felt like when you walked inside of the home, you were walking into this thick fog. It was just unsettling, uncomfortable. And I was kind of getting worried, thinking that we've moved into a house that was haunted. I'm Ronnie and this is his wife, Amanda. And there was something evil in our basement. We were in the process of putting our house on the market, so we were looking for houses within the general area of where we were living at in Tennessee and we came across an auction, so we decided to go check it out. The house was located in a very rural area. Had a long driveway. The front yard was opened up pretty good. It had some big, tall trees, but then the rest of it was surrounded by woods on twelve acres. Peaceful, no neighbors, no noise. It was all original. It had the dark wood paneling, really old wallpaper and shag carpet, had a full sized basement unfinished. We'd like the idea could gradually fix it up, and we had the time and the money, and immediately we kind of fell in love with it. We put an offer in ended up getting it. It was mid September when we finally started moving in. As we moved in, it was just something about the basement. It was just this weird, eerie feeling. You go down old wooden stairs. The ceiling height was maybe six feet. I'm six foot three, so I'm having to duck my head through there. But it's something about the back corner of that basement. It had a darkness to it, almost as if you could see it. It was very uncomfortable, but as time grew on, it became stronger and more noticeable. The basement was all open, and then off to the side there was a little door in the wall. I've never seen anything like it. It was very strange, kind of like who ever lived there before made it themselves. Ronnie crawled through. There was a wall on the side with another door, so he went through the doorway and he disappeared. And I turned the corner. I started stepping down these makeshift stairs, and then it just stepped down to nothing, and then there was ashes. It was so bizarre, super creepy. It could have been a red flag. But then we didn't know what to make of it. My brother and sister were over helping us get some of the heavy stuff moved in, and we were found in the basement putting all these boxes away. I just glance up and I happened to see this really slim box on top of the duckwork. I'd go to pull it down and see what it is, and there was an old nineteen seventies Ouija board still in the box and everything. Of course, the box looks like it's been used quite a bit, you know, it was barely hanging together. But I bring it upstairs and show Amanda. I'm like, check this out. Look what I found. We can decorate for Halloween. So we put it in the dining room hutch with all the other Fall decor. It was getting late in the evening, so instead of my brother and sister just going home, they were like, well we could stay at the night. All the bedrooms are upstairs. My wife and I take the master bedroom, and then across the hall was the other bedrooms that they decided to take. As soon as we went to bed and we were starting to get comfortable, we started hearing someone running back and forth in the hall. We had those sliding doors on the closets. We heard them sliding back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, running down the hall to the next room, sliding those closet doors back and forth, back and forth, over and over and over again. I was so tired. It was like aggravating that they were doing that. I was like, Ronnie, get up and tell them to stop. And then he came back and said, it's not them. They thought it was us. When I saw a look on their face and the fear that they had, I could tell that it wasn't something that they're messing with us with. So I'm like, maybe somebody broke into the house and they're trying to freak us out or something. I don't know, because I mean it was so loud, obviously somebody was doing it. So we walked through the house. We're going room by room like really slowly, and we didn't see anyone. Which I all the closets anywhere we can. And then his sister was like, the Ouija board. It's the Ouija board. You got to put that back where you found it. So Ronnie runs to that hutch, grabs it, runs down to the basement, runs back upstairs, and like slams the door shut. We're so scared we didn't want to go back to our rooms ourselves, so we all ended up sleeping in one room. Since all that happened the first night, I was thinking, is this something that we were going to continue having problems with? I'm thinking, okay, well, maybe we disturbed something paranormal. We ended up getting the Ouija board out. We give it to a lady that was looking for one, and then later on we were thinking about it, so I decided to message her, asking her if she ever used it. She replied they had used it, and she regretted ever picking that Ouija board up because she would see this older man all the time, and her boyfriend would see a little boy all the time, and they would hear things, they'd see things, So I think that Ouija board was pretty bad. As time went on, things just started getting stronger and stronger, and we started noticing more and more. Down in the basement. There was this big chest freezer. The things we found in the freezer were just very very unusual. There were birds, like crows were in there, and then there was weird animal bones. There was like a deer leg that had some fur. On it but no meat, and then at the very bottom was this gallon sized bucket of frozen blood. At that time, I was thinking the previous owners were just into some kind of dark satanic stuff in that basement, and I thought, if I move anything, are we going to wake something up? So I just left everything in that freezer. We just thought they were messing with some dark stuff here, and that's why we experienced what we experienced. We're starting to hear what sounds like walking going up the stairs, walking around the hallway up there, and then into the bedrooms. Of course, nobody's upstairs. And then other times we would notice the basement door would constantly be open and there was no explanation. We'd randomly get up in the morning basement door would be open. Throughout the day, basement door would be open, couldn't figure out why. And it always felt like someone was watching you when you were down there. It's like they did not want you in there at all. They just wanted you out. It got to the point where I wasn't really sleeping at all. I try to go to bed, and I'd wake up between two or three o'clock in the morning. I keep seeing this shadow figure. Three o'clock in the morning is like the Devil's hours, where demonic spirits have more power. I would be upright staring at our bedroom door, waiting for somebody to come in. It's like I was expecting them to come in. It became hell. You weren't sure what was going to happen next. You were terrified. There was a time where I'm walking past the basement door. I notice that it's open, so I'm going to go close it, and I hear Amanda call my name from the basement. It's all pitch black. There's no lights on down there. I quickly go down there. I look, I don't see her. I felt that dread and that wave of darkness hit me. I felt like if I didn't get out of that basement right away, something bad was going to happen, and I wasn't exactly sure what. So I run up to the second floor and I find Amanda in our bedroom. He was like "did you call me?" No, what are you talking about? If it was mimicking Amanda's voice, why was it wanting me down in the basement. It really creeped me out. They say, if a demonic spirit will call you with someone else's name to lure you on your own. We were just constantly stressed out. We were thinking, okay, well, what's coming next. We got some chicken coops, and I've always wanted to raise chickens, so I was super excited about that. We had about fifty chickens. One day we went to the store. We were gone for maybe an hour. We got back. I happened to glance out the window and I could see the chicken coops. I thought I saw something. I went out there. Ronnie followed behind me. As we were walking down we could see the chickens scattered around the whole backyard, all dead. We couldn't explain it. There was no markings on them where it looked like something attacked them. It kind of seemed like maybe they died from fear. I don't know. When you watch a movie about a haunted house and you question, well, why they're just leaving, there's nowhere to go. That's your house, and until you sell it, where could you go? We could feel the darkness, so we knew we had to get out. We're just like, enough is enough. We're going crazy. The day we finally got the call that somebody is buying the house, it was just instant relief. It felt like a blessing. And then we're moving into our new house. The owners left a bunch of stuff in the attic. Ronnie was digging stuff out of it and he pulled out a ouija board. I freaked out. I keep waiting to hear a sound or see a shadow or something. I'm hoping that it's behind us, but I don't know.
Therésa: Len remind me to look into Ouija boards. Seems like the door's always wide open with those things. Okay, next order of business. So apparently I've deeply offended a large group of Jimmy Buffett fans who call themselves parrot heads. I don't even know what that means.
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: It's gotta be more than just a tropical state of mind. Len people are raging in the comments. You guys think I'm coming for Jimmy in the afterlife. But just to be clear, Jimmy is coming for me and my spot on the other side. And if you're really that upset about it, then just unfollow me. It's fine. I couldn't care less. Actually I don't care at all. You really think he just wasted away in Margeritaville? Grow up!
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: We really lost that many in the last eleven minutes. Just give me the next ad.
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: kumquat mattresses pulling out too, you're joking me. Okay, this is not my day. Dear Lord, Today is really not my day. Crusty tropical rock boomer ruining my eternal slumber. Jesus Christ. I would kill that guy.
STORY B: When I think of my days as an EMT, most of the calls that we had were just regular standard medical calls. Someone has stomach pain, chest pain, someone thinks they're having a heart attack, but there's one that scared the living crap out of me. My name is Brandon, and I saw what it was like to be scared to death. I signed up for EMT school when I was still in high school. It was just something that I'd always wanted to do. I've been a diabetic since I was eight, so I was in and out of hospitals quite a bit when I was a kid. Growing up, I figured EMT would be a good route to go down. Got my certification in two thousand and two. Everyone thinks that, you know, being on an ambulance, working for an ambulance service, it's constant adrenaline, and I guess it would be in cities like Dallas or Houston, but in rural East Texas not so much. You know, every one interesting call where you're crawling into a smashed up vehicle to hold someone's head up while they, you know, fire department rips the car apart around you. You'd have thirty to forty standard medical calls. So, hey, grandma's stomach hurts, can you come pick her up? Can you come to the nursing home and take this person to the hospital? Can you come here to do this? Go here to do that? Just standard patient transports. Kind of a funny story. I was working for a BLS basic life support service and it was very cold that night. We got a call to the middle of nowhere. The neighbors had noticed an elderly man that lived in the house was sitting on his porch and he wasn't moving and it didn't appear to be breathing.He was unresponsive We get out there and there are three sheriff deputies standing around a porch. They'd been there for twenty thirty minutes, and no one had assessed the guy. No one had walked up, no one had checked to see if he had a pulse, see if he was breathing. We all just assumed he was dead. I walk up on the porch and I'm doing the assessment, and I touch his wrists and he just goes. I had never seen so many East Texas sheriff deputies move so fast in my life. That scared everybody. We were over the rail, off the porch, and halfway back to the ambulance before we all kind of came to our senses and like, oh shit, we got to help this guy. You know, occasionally you'd have something like that that you remember just because it brings a smile to your face. Phrase that I had heard whenever I first got into EMS. Nurses would talk about it, Doctors wouldn't mention it. You can smell death. Anytime a patient is either recently deceased or in the process of dying, you start to notice this weird smell. It's very hard to describe, kind of like pungent, musty smell. It's just something that gets in your nostrils and you only smell it for a second and then it's gone. It's always shortly after the person's passed away. I've seen quite a few dead bodies, but occasionally you will have a patient that just very quietly tells you I'm gonna die, and then they die. I had that happened a couple of times. We had a call out in the middle of the night and we picked this elderly guy up and he thought he was having a heart attack, and sure enough he was. We're in the back of the ambulance and he's calm you know, he's asking me about, you know, my favorite fishing holes, and that was just kind of a common topic. I'm writing down his assessment report. Blood pressure that type Of thing, and he's just very very softly says son, I'm about to die. I'm like, no, no You're all right, pat him on the shoulder, and I told my partner up in the front to speed it up. When I looked back, he was unresponsive. He passed away. That really bothered me. That was more give you goosebumps. But there was one in particular that scared the crap out of me. Still bothers me to this day. It was dark when we got to the nursing home. The sun was just coming up. It was a standard patient transport from a nursing home to a wound treatment center. We had done this several times with this same patient. He wasn't a pleasant guy. Again. We transported this same gentleman several times. It wasn't a fun trip. Anytime I was in the back with him, I was creeped out. He always looked mad, never spoke to us, to me, to my partner. Anytime you'd ask him a question, he would either growl or grunt. He was probably eighty years old, six three six four. You could tell at one point he was a big guy. He had the frame of a big guy, but he was very light. He was maybe one hundred and fifty pounds. I'd never seen him mobile. He was always on a cot. Rarely did I ever see him move his arms or his legs or even lift his head. A sad story all around. It was twice a week that we went and got him for treatment. On this particular trip, I was stuck in the back and I saw that he was looking to the back left hand side of the ambulance. About ten minutes into the ride, he asked me, what is that? It shot me because he'd never spoken to me before, and I saw where he was looking. There's nothing there, and no, no. No, what is that? What is that? What is that? He just kept saying, what is that? What is that? He probably said what is that? Probably twelve times. He started to get louder and kind of violent. He's losing his mind. He's looking at the back left corner of the ambulance. At this point, he's screaming, what is that? What is that? No? Get it away, get it away. He managed to get one of his legs loose from the strap. We had him wrapped in a sheet too, so he managed to get his leg out from under the sheet and the buckle and he's kicking it whatever he's looking at. He got his arms out and grabbing my shirt. I'm trying to push his leg back down and get him back onto the strap, and he was flinging me all over the place, one arm flung me across his body. I was in fairly good shape and pretty strong. This was just insane. This guy was strong, like out of nowhere strong. This is a guy that hadn't moved in god knows how long when he grabbed me and flung me across him. I remember thinking, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit,I yell for my partner to pull over and come help. She got in the back and she's trying to hold his leg down. I'm trying to get him to lay back. And he won't. He won't lay back. He was pushing both of us around. He's just screaming no, no, no, no, no, get it away, get it away. He wasn't fighting us in a way of get off me. He was waving his arms and his legs around like he was trying to get something off of him. And then he starts slapping at his stomach at his chest and he's fell back. He was unresponsive. My partner. She was freaked out. She got back in the front and turned on the lights and sirens and took off again. I started CPR on him. He never became responsive again. Sometimes when you're doing CPR on a patient, they will kind of stir moan, move around, they'll take a breath, might open their eyes, and then kind of go back out a couple of times. No, nothing with this guy. he was just gone. I don't know his personal history. He may have been a horrible person and in his mind he was going to a horrible place and this was the thing that was going to take him there. I don't know. I hope it was just his imagination, but it may not have been. I really don't know. I just got creeped out afterwards. I had nightmares about for a while. I still have a dream about it every now and then. I'll be sitting in that seat and he's asking what is that, and then then I'll wake up. I don't chalk it up to you know the paranormal. I also don't say, oh, there's always a scientific explanation. I mean, I'm very open minded. This is just one of those things that proves to me just based on my own experience that stuff like that is real. I honestly think something was there to drag him off. That's really what I think.
Therésa: I'm actually really glad Brandon mentioned dragging because earlier on today's episode, I did a little dragging of my own. Oh my god, Len did you write that?
Len: (MUMBLES)
Therésa: Yes, I said some very unfair things about deceased American hero Jimmy Buffett. I was upset and speaking out of turn. My words do not reflect my feelings towards Jimmy, the tropical rock genre, or parrot head community. My comments were ignorant and hurtful. I am deeply sorry. Haunting is about embracing all walks of life and death, and I am heartened to learn that Jimmy and I have such an overlapping fan base. At the end of the day, he and I share a mission pushing positivity into the world and towing the line of functioning alcoholism. I have found that no, I'm not saying this bar no, no, no, no, no. Oh at your urging, I've taken this opportunity to listen and learn. I started today in a pretty rotten mood, but after sampling some of Jimmy's discography. I have to say I'm feeling a lot better. Oh my god,Cheese Burger in Paradise is an anthem of our time, and in this void of timeless expanse with no beginning or end, it's comforting to know that it is, in fact five o'clock somewhere. Oh okay, that's our show as always. If you've got to scare to share, email Len at Hauntingthepodcast@gmail.com and you could be featured on an upcoming episode. In the meantime, keep it easy and breezy, friends, Absolutely. Not Jimmy Buffett, are you serious? Have you heard me all day? Okay? What the fuck is a parrot
Len: (MUMBLES)
Credits: If you have a Haunting story to share, please email us at HauntingThePodcast@gmail.com. Haunting is a production of Glass Podcast in partnership with iHeart Podcast. Haunting was created and executive produced by Nancy Glass, Andrea Gunning, Ben Fetterman, and Lauren Lapkus. It is hosted by Lauren Lapkus as her character Therésa. Haunting is directed by Aleah Welsh and produced by Trey Morgan. It is written by Aleah Welsh, with additional writing by Nancy Glass, Trey Morgan, Ben Fetterman, and Kristen Melchiorre. Additional production support by Todd Ganz. Additional voice acting by Trey Morgan as the character producer Len Walker. Editing and sound design by Matt Delvecchio with additional editing by Nico Arouca, mixed and mastered by Dave Saia Operations and production support by Kristen Melchiorre. Haunting's theme and original compositions were composed by Oliver Baines and Dorry Macauley of Noiser. Music library provided by my Music Special thanks to Speakeasy Sound Studios in Burbank, California. Follow us on social media by searching for Glass Podcast or by visiting glasspodcast.com . For more shows from iHeart Podcasts and Glass Podcast, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.