Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show, fellow Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in. Let's hear it for the shiny, beautiful baby boy of our podcast. Super producer mister Max Williams.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna be able to bounce back from that one. I can't give you a retort. I'm just baby, you should be able to bounce back.
Speaker 2: He's just blushing.
Speaker 3: He's blushing. I think it's cherubic downright. Cherubic is the word.
Speaker 2: That's old brown. I'm Ben Bullen. We are super excited, folks, uh to talk about a category of invention that's going to be familiar to a lot of our ridiculous historians in the crowd. Congratulations to all the new parents tuning in. Hope you get some sleep here and there. We understand that's a struggle. But Noel, when when you were a new parent with your child, you and your partner doubtlessly had to do this whole rigmarole about getting advice on raising a baby. Probably had to keep buying clothing or getting hand me downs as the kid just kept kept growing. Did you go to baby showers. Did you all have a baby shower?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, we did, and I've been to maybe one.
Speaker 4: But i'll tell you, Ben, I say this not in any kind of like derogatory way, but that time in my life was so stressful that I have largely like men in black behind, erased it from my But one thing I do remember, Ben distinctly, is the snot sucker.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: Yes, Edge, I didn't know it was branded.
Speaker 4: But as our wonderful research associate Wren pointed out, she recently discovered some of these things in attending a baby shower for her sister who recently had a little one, and mentioned this idea of nasal congestion for the tykes. Well, the answer to that is the snot sucker, and she spelled it out the capital snot capital sucker capital s connected right up to snot. And I just always thought that was a pro pejorative. But it is in fact a rubber bulb that you stick into the baby's nose and you squeeze it and it sucks the snot right out of it.
Speaker 3: She describes it as a slurpy straw for snot. Not quite how I remember it. Yeah, some of them look like bulbs.
Speaker 2: They look like the top of a turkey baster.
Speaker 3: That's the one that I had.
Speaker 4: Maybe things have come a long way since my time as a new parent. But she also mentions if your baby is sassy and gassy, there's something for that too. She should have been in baby product advertising. Colic is no match for Windy the gas passer with an eye, which may sound like a character from amany python film, specifically fully Grail, but it is actually a sort of an alien looking fart hose that's packaged up to look cutesy.
Speaker 3: It's pretty gross.
Speaker 4: And yet, you know, a comfort to new parents because manacious exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because it shows us the parents will do anything to ensure that their newest addition to the family is safe, healthy, is comfortable. And you know, there's a lot of misinformation out there. There's a lot of well intentioned I'll say it, well intentioned hogwashed and it can be challenging when you're a parent. You're already, especially in the United States, you're already paying a lot of money for various unexpected expenses. So it can be stressful, as we said, to have a bunch of people coming out of the woodwork and saying, I know this thing is fifty to one hundred and fifty or more dollars, but you absolutely must have.
Speaker 3: It for sure.
Speaker 4: And I mean marketers know that they have parents kind of by the jimmies. As you say, Ben, they are in fact a captive audience in terms of like, they gotta have some of this stuff, whether it's their version or another version, things like car seats. We're going to get into the history of that. But it occuraged to Ren in going to her sister's baby shower and seeing all of these new fangled products targeted parents who want nothing but to do right by their new babies, that this likely has been the case since the dawn of time.
Speaker 3: However, parents of yesteryear.
Speaker 4: Relied on a lot of anecdotal advice from generations past than science to care for their little ones, which resulted in some admittedly creative, possibly ridiculous remedies for you know, taking care of little ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and Wren, we can't thank you enough for this perspective and this excellent research, and we want to represent you accurately to our fellow ridiculous historians. You like some of us in the crowd. Tonight did end up on the receiving end of some of these inventions, particularly those human leashes that attached to a child's back. And this is the beginning of the ridiculous history of baby gear. We got to get to one real quick. No, this reminds me of an episode I did years ago for my very first official podcast, kar Stuff. Not the most creative name, but it was a fun show. We hope you tune in. No'll produced a lot of it. We all know about car seats for babies. Now they're necessity. There are tons of variations or brands out there, But during the early nineteen hundreds, before automobiles were ubiquitous, the car itself was a luxury item for the rich, the decayed aristocracy, you know, the one percenters of the Gilded Age. It wasn't until the Model T came out that the automobile became increasingly mass produced and democratized.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and in doing so, I mean, we know that safety was not exactly the prime selling point for some of these early automobiles, and in order to make it safer for children, they needed a little bit of modification. So nineteen thirties did, of course bring it a little bit of a hiccup known as the Great Depression to your point, but nothing great about it, which means that a lot of the less fortunate folks in the United States were more concerned with feeding their families than getting the latest car. However, after World War Two, much like the soft served craze that we talked about in the last episode, the country was rescued from economic peril and it gave folks some new options once they settled back in after returning from the war. Families, mothers, fathers needed larger vehicles to transport themselves and of course they're growing heard of children and their groceries, of course, to and from their home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because grocery stores were also modernizing at this point, folks, the days of the counter service are falling, falling into obscurity. And now we've got the supermarket, which is entirely designed to make it easier and more tempting to buy more and more stuff. So you need room in your car.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: And like we said, Ben, while safety wasn't exactly top of mind for the design of the first model TS, neither was its top of mind with the design of the first car seats that were invented during the nineteen thirties by.
Speaker 3: The Bunny Bear Company. What is he man? Is he a bunny or is he a bear? He needs to make up his mind.
Speaker 4: It looked like something you might see in a sanatorium, some sort of torture device. It was designed, however, for the fun of the tyke, not for safety. It was made from wood and fabric, and it was designed to quote elevate children so they could see their surroundings during car rides.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it also did something that we see time and time again in children's toys. It allows you, the tyke or the brood of the family, to emulate the activities of adults, of your parents, of other grown people you've encountered. That's why children's kitchen toys are so ubiquitous even now. That's why this car seat would include stuff like a dummy steering wheel and maybe some you know, pretend buttons you could push. It does look like the first model, which came out in nineteen thirty three from Buddy Bear. It looks like one of those bring your own lawn chairs that you would have at a concert or a picnic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but from hell right right.
Speaker 2: But it's canvas. It's got several straps to keep the tike in and it has an elongated rack at the bottom ending with a wooden bar that is probably too far for the average kid's feet to reach. I hope based on this image that Wren gave us, but it I think it most likely was meant to securate it grace.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, but it also seems like in the event of a crash, it would just be I don't know. Rend pointed this out actually in the name of the section car Seats aka the Artist formerly known as Little Baby death Trap. And this big old hunk of chunk of wood would likely become a deadly projectile in.
Speaker 2: The car, just like those steering wheels that were so popular in the forties and fifties that had the torpedo design pointing at the drivers.
Speaker 3: Oh did yeah? Final destination? Anybody come on?
Speaker 2: And in the nineteen forties a bunch of French guys agreed with me and Noel here a company called ben Hall fol decided that the current baby car seat models that they were seeing were probably uncomfortable for kiddos. There were also a pain in the keyster to install. They made a new kind of baby car seat. It hooks over the front passenger seat, the shotgun seat. Yep, babies are still sitting in the front at this period of time, and then you had a single strap across the waist. Now this is totally in opposition to modern safety standards because as we know, you're not supposed to put a baby car seat in the front of the car because airbags could really harm a child. But people liked being able to see their kid next to them again, riding shotgun as they.
Speaker 4: Drive, and they like where like a little baby Maggie's got their own little hack Hawk with marsh.
Speaker 2: It pops out. Yeah, and they also loved how easy it was to install this. But if you look at a picture of this French baby seat, what you'll see is that the kid is strapped in at the top of the seat, but the seat go down far enough to put them on the actual car seat. They're just hanging out, kind of like an extreme mountaineer who straps themselves to the side of a rock face to sleep.
Speaker 4: Yes, definitely, and it's equally treacherous just so, and we know if we fast forward again, every company is aware there's a huge market for this.
Speaker 2: Parents will do anything they can for their children, so car seat technology continues to innovate. Go to nineteen sixty two, we see the Jena car seat. I am doing the forest gumbaccent, but it is spelled jee inay.
Speaker 3: I think that's the only way to say it.
Speaker 4: Ben Frankly, this one would be the first model on the market designed for backseat use, and it did have safety in mind, so good on them. Moving on, we're going to get into to the idea of you know, bassinets, cradles. They don't really call them cradles as much anymore, play pins. All of that is another category of baby gear, maybe exactly like a crate for your baby. The first automatic cradles, however colloquial all know as rockers, were created and patented by a master mechanic and the serial tinkerer named John Boulcolt in eighteen ninety seven. He used a clockwork mechanism to automatically kind of swing the basinet to help lull the baby to sleep. It was born out of a request from his wife, who, being exhausted as a new mother, dreamt of a machine that could rock her baby to sleep so that she could focus on her household chores.
Speaker 3: I you know, I think really according to Bulkan, Yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: According to the official story. But I'm with Ready here. I think it was probably more realistically. Boo called spouse saying, why do I have to stay up and rock the kid to sleep? Like, when is it your turn?
Speaker 3: Dude? And so he's busy tinkering, right, He's like.
Speaker 2: I'm a serial tinkerer. He got to work and he was literally investigating this in his garage over in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. And this research he was doing while he was not rocking the baby, by the way, led him to patent the first automated cradle. You can see pictures of this online. You would not have considered it automatic by twenty twenty six standards because you had to if your parent, you have to hand crank the cradle to start the rocking motion. You're powering up a spring and then the spring slowly, you know, expands over time, creating that rocking sensation. Still is way better than having to sit there for hours. Just back for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And like a lot of these types of things. His original company name was Mega Dry if descriptive. It was the automatic cradle manufacturing company. It did see some pretty early success, and so you figured that was a good que two rebrand. There's something a little more pleasant the Lullaby Furniture Corporation.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, by nineteen thirty, the company sold three additional products. They had bassinets, a three and one high share slash rocker, and a go kart for children that seems super safe, as well as something called the Flivver Flyver.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's call it the fliver because of the CVS, or we could call it the Fliur if we want to shut out as the shitch. To be clear, that go kart folks is not the go kart you're thinking of from Andretti's or something like that. It's it's just something they could sit in.
Speaker 3: That has wheels.
Speaker 4: Got it so more like a power wheel minus the power Yeah, yeah, just so.
Speaker 2: And by the end of nineteen thirty, the Lullaby Furniture Corporation is just mad cap with success. They're gross assets in nineteen thirty are two hundred and seventeen thousand, two hundred and twelve dollars and fourteen cents, which means it's time for our inflation calculator.
Speaker 3: Oh can we beep? Can we boop?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: We must we mustop with deep there.
Speaker 2: We are, so a little bit north of two hundred and seventy thousand dollars in nineteen thirty thanks to inflation, is now in twenty twenty six four million, two hundred and forty two one hundred thousand, ten dollars and sixty three cents.
Speaker 3: Nice one. Heck, yeah it is right.
Speaker 4: I mean, still modest by today's standards, but they're on the way up. As his success grew, bull Colt had his share of competitors, of course, entering the market, including an inventor named Luther P. Jones who came up with this spended baby hammock situation which could self rock for up to two hours after being wound. Sorry, I got to jumped the gun on this one. This was the clock mechanism. So like a wristwatch that you wind and it has power reserve, you wind this up and then it will it will essentially rock itself for up to two hours with that stored energy. So, judging from the illustrations that we have here, that ren provided it was pretty high up and the mechanism on top, you probably would have had to have like some kind of step ladder at the very least, if not a full a frame ladder to get to Yeah.
Speaker 2: And also this is clearly for people who are a little bit more well to do big time. This thing is do you know what I mean? Like there you can see the design clearly. It is definitely going to dominate whatever room you put it in, just on an interior decoration rate. So you probably need to afford your own specific room in your domicile for this. And then you know at some point you'd have to have somebody service the machine, right.
Speaker 4: Oh, clearly it's that level of machine and the ad illustration it says at the bottom, don't waste time rocking yo baby's cradle. Let theimoto rock it for you. And when baby wakes he can watch the wheels go round.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and we know that bullcult soldiered on despite this emerging competition. In nineteen thirty six, this guy buys an island expressly for the purposes of logging hardwood. A few years later, as to historians, you will remember, World War Two began because Germany invaded Poland, which meant that the Lullaby Corporation, like so many other Allied businesses, shifted to the war effort, and so instead of building baby cradles, now or flivvers. They ended up providing Allied countries the raw materials that would later be used to build mosquito bomber airplanes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they were nicknamed wooden wonders. These airplanes, which I hadn't heard of before the to Havel the land d H ninety eight mosquito bomber airplanes, to be precise, could reach a top speed of four hundred miles per hour while carrying around four thousand pounds worth of explosives.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yet, is this is gonna sound kind of crazy when we're saying that these are, you know, wooden planes, But that's that's where the technology was at the time.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 4: We know a lot about what is it, the HH Huntley or the HS Hunting. The wooden submarines was also a thing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, wood is a great way to start building something. It's also real flammable. It's also really it's not perfect, but it's a great way to start ed for sure. So yeah, over time, the wars come and go. The Lullaby Company has several name changes, ownership back and forth. Eventually Lullaby ends their business, but they don't do that until nineteen ninety five. So good on you, lullaby. I think we've got time for one more we really wanted to talk about. This is crazy, Nola Max. This reminds me of an infamous viral photo from years and years ago where the controversial legendary musician Michael Jackson held his baby out a lot out of a wimbo style, Simba style, lion king style to a bunch of reporters. And I think he wanted it to be a wholesome moment. Look at my child, look at what I had wrought. But the reporters and the paparazzi immediately said, what the heck are you doing? Hold it a child out the window?
Speaker 3: Well, bet he clearly wanted it to get fresh air required to renew and purify the baby's blood, because those who sleep out of doors are stronger children. Man, he must have been reading.
Speaker 4: He must have been reading Luther Emmett Holtz eighteen ninety four book The Care and Feeding of Children, which made these very claims. That is delightful. That name alone is worth the price of admission. That is talking about them like their marmots or something.
Speaker 2: And doctor Holt is a qualified pediatrician.
Speaker 3: Tay, I really loved kids, the care and feeding your children.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also a it's still a practice in parts of northern Europe to bundle a baby up and leave them outdoors in the cold.
Speaker 4: Sure, so they will die of exposure because they were born the wrong sex or something. For their Viking tribe, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's to renew and purify the blood, just like dogholes.
Speaker 3: I see, if you sleep outdoors, you're a stronger child.
Speaker 4: It does occur to me, Ben, and it probably occurred to the inventor Ernest J. Henry Pattent did the first window crib in nineteen nineteen. That not only was this maybe something that parents might glom onto because of the Holt Book, but parents living in small apartments or tenement buildings in New York City for example, or Chicago places like that, you know, they might not have had much room, so they take advantage of having like a little cage that hangs out the window exactly. Because again these are practical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are not the super well to do people who can dedicate an entire room in a nursery. Often they can't dedicate an entire room to individual bedroom for their older kids. So a lot of these folks during the second wave of the Industrial Revolution, leave their homes in rural areas of the country to seek a job opportunity in the big city. And this is compounded by a lot of immigration at the time, mostly from Europe at this point in US history, and those folks automatically go to cities because typically they're going to have a community that pre exists of people who are from their home country. This means that real estate goes through the roof. If you live in a major city at this time, like your Chicago's or your New York's, you were probably living in an apartment. You are probably, as you said, no super super squeezed for any kind of space. You're living in a tenement, right, you might share a bathroom with an entire floor of people. I gotta say it. The photo that Red has attached here of an actual window crib. It looks like chicken wire. But the baby looks happy, confused. The baby doesn't look angry.
Speaker 4: I don't think it looks angry. It doesn't look looks a little bewildered in the mall. It's actually kind of a creepy photo, Ben, because the mother's facing away and the way the lighting is it almost looks like she has no face or something like. It's a little bit of a It looks like an art piece, like a disturbing dystopian art piece, because I keep saying the cage, because that's what it looks like. It is essentially a cage like enclosure hanging out the window god knows how many stories up. And they looked at this as not only a way of saving space, but potentially in the cities of a way of providing their children with fresh air. However, during the Industrial Revolution and the Second Wave, the air weren't so fresh, right. Yeah, we have to remember the EPA wouldn't be established the Environmental Protection Agency until nineteen seventy, and we don't know how long it's going to be able to stick around the modern day. So a lot of these folks, and these are all very well ent parents, a lot of these folks in the city. They want fresh air for their kiddos, but they are not aware of the invisible dangers in polluted city air. We're talking about toxic byproducts made by the smelting of metal, chromium, arsenic, benzene, lead, all the nasty stuff in a terrible cocktail. And when they were purchasing these window cribs, which were relatively affordable by design, they were actually putting their kids, especially like the higher you get as well, they were putting their kids in the front lines in the atmospheric trenches of stuff that history and health studies have conclusively proven is very, very bad for humans for sure. So it is in fact they wonder that any of our grandparents survived long enough to have our parents and allow us to you know, enjoy our own resh air.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is wild.
Speaker 4: A lot of these inventions, as Bren points out, could be categorized as dumb, bad, and even deadly. And there are of course plenty more where that came from. We're going to talk about just a few more here at the end and then save some for a future Tangents and Trivia episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So the window caage, just so you know, folks, mounted just like a window based air conditioning unit, still very common in cities across the planet, so that's kind of its legacy. We talked about how our buddy Johnny B. Buckolt was an inventor or what you called a serial tinker.
Speaker 3: Ren.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about one of the other things he invented. He made an automatic cow milker, which is very unpleasant for the cows. I imagine it latches onto the cows utters and it uses a lot of them. The spring mechanisms that he pioneered for the automatic cradle, you squeeze the utter and get the milk out. He called it the Western milky machine. It was super unpopular with cows at being diplomatic.
Speaker 4: For sure, and that didn't really take off because farmers didn't want to freak their cows out lest they kicked the farmers in the teeth. That pollution, though, Ben, we were talking about in American cities was so bad from the late eighteen hundreds through nineteen twenties that carbon emissions actually coated birds in soot, changing the colors of their feathers. And to this day, scientists observe birds to gauge the severity of pollution and other environmental factors that could negatively impact human health. Ben, we've talked about this on stuff that I want you to know. Another way scientists to use animals to test for environmental contaminants is at nuclear super fun sites like at Savannah River site near where we live here in Atlanta, Georgia, where Legacy nuclear waste from the creation of nuclear warheads was stored and disposed of, contaminating the groundwater and buried in these open pits, and so scientists there as part of I believe the Army Corps of Engineers test wildlife on a regular basis with Geiger counters. They tag them and then find them and then test them to make sure that the decontamination processes are going well.
Speaker 2: And further, folks, here's another look. This is my favorite example of how crazy the pollution was during the Industrial Revolution. If you go over to England, you see that the soot was so widespread it actually caused the population of peppered moths to shift their colors. As a species, they used to be pale and speckled, and because the air in their natural environment got so dark and sooty, they began to become dark black. For so it actually changed the color of some animals. This is nuts, And you also shouted out stuff they don't want you to know. This is a great thing for anybody who's interested in some of the darker sides of pollution. In a previous episode on Her sister show, we talk about the idea of lead creating serial killers. So check out a book called Murderland published twenty twenty five, wherein the author Caroline Fraser talks about the pollution related to smelting and how it could have been the cause of the Pacific Northwest serial killer explosion during the nineteen seventies.
Speaker 3: We talked about this stuff that I want you to know very recently. Yeah, and do.
Speaker 2: Check out that episode, folks. We know it's a little bit of a dark turn for a show about baby gear, but we hope you enjoyed it well.
Speaker 4: But Ben, this also kind of ties into the notion that pollution from smelting could have led to the downfall of the Roman Empire because of you know, environmental contaminants that led to cognitive decline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good call.
Speaker 2: And also check out our earlier Ridiculous History episode on the fall of the Roman Empire as well as the fall of the Ottoman Empire. And while you're on the internet, why not give us a nice little rating on your podcast platform of choice and stay tuned for our upcoming episodes.
Speaker 3: Absolutely please do.
Speaker 4: You can find us on Apple Podcasts, where the reviews really go a long way to helping people discover the show. We're also on Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcast. Ben, this was a fun one, man, a little on the shorter side, but absolutely delightful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, big, big thanks to our super producer Max the Bouncing baby Boy Williams Bouncing Bleshing baby Boy Williams. Big thanks to Alex Williams who composed this track, as well as Doctor Rachel Big Spinach Lance and aj Bahamas Jacobs.
Speaker 4: Thanks again to Wren for doing the research on this episode. Will look forward to hearing more from her in the not too distant.
Speaker 3: Future as well.
Speaker 4: Christopher Hasiotis and Eaves Jeffco Thanks to them here in spirit, and Ben, thanks to you man.
Speaker 3: This was a fun one and.
Speaker 2: A hearty goo goo gaga to all our young ridiculous historians tuning in.
Speaker 3: We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 4: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.