Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds, and Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche says, I love working for President Trump. It's the greatest honor of a lifetime. And if President Trump chooses to nominate somebody else and asks me to go do something else, I'll say thank you very much. I love you, sir. We have such a great show for you today. As the world churns Andy Levy stops by to talk about Maga's anger at Trump over the chaos of the Iran War. Then we'll talk to Democracy forward Sky Perriman about how they are pushing back against the Trump agenda.
Speaker 2: But first the news, Molly, another beautiful night of seeing Democrats outperform insane numbers no one would expect against Republicans in these special elections and in the primaries.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so here's what's going on. Donald Trump is on the ticket, and even when he's not on the ticket, he's on the ticket, and so we're seeing these kind of insane like democrats are winning. The great example is Marjorie Taylor Green give a per seat in Rome, Georgia that is a seat she won. I don't know, is it twenty eight points? I mean some crazy, crazy number. Trump won Marjorie Taylor Green's district by thirty seven points. So now here we are and it's you know, not even two years later, and this is a seat now that the Democrat, I mean the Democrat lost, but not by thirty eight points, just by twelve points. So it's a real if you think about that's like a twenty point little more than twenty point shift. That's crazy. That's what we're seeing around the country. That's what we're seeing everywhere, and so that's what we're seeing in Wisconsin. So Wisconsin, this is the state Supreme Court race. Remember we had a lot of these people on this podcast because it was a very tight Wisconsin Supreme Court. You know, it's an elected judgeship, and we had been back and forth on this and Democrats were running. It was really tight. There was going to be a majority, a Republican majority. Democrats flipped it, and now it's about to be a Democratic majority. And this is a state, Wisconsin, that is really one of the most sort of evenly split states. And if you think about it, it's like the governor is a guy Tony Ivers, who is just a sort of really nondescript He's a Democrat, but you might not know, you know, he's a very sort of nondescript white guy and he barely won. Realize, you know, this is a really like if you're if the voters of Wisconsin are saying this, then the voters of Texas and California and this is the Canarian the coal mine. So this is what we're seeing and we're going to see more of this, and good because Donald Trump is a complete lunatic and no one is running a check on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, a thing that you really pointed out well was how much in the midterms last time to remind people that people said that like these three point or four point spreads are not worth sinking our money into, and people didn't donate to these candidates and then they'd lose by a point because of all the voter enthusiasm, and we could have not had Senator Ron Johnson was something you pointed out that was really astute if we had just not felt like the cook PVI is what it was in the midterms and things like that, and we got to see right now that there is huge, huge possibilities to flip a lot of these seats.
Speaker 4: So we really really got to go.
Speaker 1: In huge and Mandela Barnes. Let me tell you about Mandela Barnes, who was running a Wisconsin for that senate seed. I was told by even very smart white guys that was too much to hope that Wisconsin would not elect a black senator. FYI he lost by like one point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so small.
Speaker 1: Run and on just borned money into that race.
Speaker 4: Important money into junk polls.
Speaker 1: Right exactly, And so you know, the Democrats abandoned Mandela Barns. That would have been a really easy pickup. It's such a good example of like why it's what Mandilipman says, you have to run everywhere, and especially in a landscape like this where Republicans are getting significant headwinds, and it just is just a moment where Democrats need to run at every seat because the thing is like we all know there will be a time, and I know it feels like it's not true. Okay, I'm gonna tell a story here. So last night I went to a dinner with people who are working on safeguarding democracy, and there's lawyers and judges and all sorts of things. And the most important thing is, first of all, the elections are not run by the federal government. They are decentralized. So everyone needs to stop thinking they're going to cancel the elections. There is no there. They cannot do that. Okay, will Donald Trump try to do a lot of who we undoubtedly, but we all need to be sane and not panic until it's time to panic, because if everyone is at eleven right now, then when we really need to be at eleven, we're going to miss it. And so what I'm here to tell you is there are a lot of people trying to keep your elections safe and secure. There are a lot of lawyers and a lot of democracy watchers, and a lot of people focused on making sure that your vote is counted, that it is free and fair. So we all have to do our part by knowing that we're going to have free and fair elections and just making sure that we show up and we register voters and we do all of these important democratic works. And I really there are some people who are resistance heroes who are saying things like Trump's going to cancel the election, and you need to tell those people no, because it is voter suppression to six months before the election believe that Donald Trump has a power to unilaterally cancel the elections.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need people realizing we got to get out on the streets and not fearing the miasma of that there might be doom coming. These voices who are saying that's got to really knock this off because conjecture right.
Speaker 1: And also just remember the people who are saying that are incentivized for you to be scared to get clicks.
Speaker 4: Okay, Molly, that is very important. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: So pap body is going to try to dodge talking about Epstein in front of Congress. Congress is saying fuck off. Nancy Mace Everyone's faith.
Speaker 1: You may know her as a complete lunative. Again, we have these moments in this podcast in America politics, at this moment where a Nancy Mays or a Thomas Massey or a Alex Jones, this is the case, maybe might be saying the right things, might be saying things we agree with, but we can still know that they are complete lunatics. That said, Nancy Mays wrote conna subpoena bondi or they wrote a letter to Bondi saying she still has to testify. Todd Bland said, no, here's the deal. And this goes back to what we were just saying before about elections. All of this happens if people make it happen. BONDI will testify if she's forced to testify, right, like Christy Noam was the Homeland Security Secretary until she wasn't. So everyone needs to push really hard and make sure things happen the way they're supposed to and the way they're legally supposed to. I mean, Rocanna has been really interesting. It has been a really interesting voice in all of this because what he's doing and again, and I think the model is Robert Garcia, but what they're doing is that they are just not being polite. They are just pushing and pushing and pushing. I want to add something else. We have eighty I think it's even more than members of Congress that are now pro impeachment of Trump. Again, now remember Democrats don't control the House, but we have like about eighty Democrats who are now pro impeachment and have signed on to an impeachment thing. And this is AOC and Maxwell Frost and Robert Garcia and Sarah McBride and Rashida Talib and Rocanna. So here I want to talk about this because it's important. Nancy Pelosi is the person driving this, or at least is the person getting credit for driving it. So it's more than fifty House Democrats. I think it's at sixty now Marquy Ron Wyden are to senators who've also followed along with that. Why this is smart. Nancy Pelosi is almost done serving in Congress, so she's doing something here where this is good for her because she then becomes a hero to the base, doesn't need to run for reelection, doesn't have to make deals with Republicans. Now, Norday leader Hakim can pretend he didn't know anything about it. Maybe he didn't know anything about it, but it's just a very smart way to do it. Look, is Donald Trump going to get impeached? Not until Democrats flipped the House. But yesterday was an insane day. And if ever there were a moment that Donald Trump should be impeached, that America really knew they were being run by a mad king, it was yes Andy Levy is the host of As the World churns Andy Andy Well I have been saying this for a while, but I think yesterday was or yesterday, whatever day it is, it's we are recording this on Wednesday and Tuesday. Donald Trump's threatened to base basically genocide, I mean, not really genocide, just sort of level an entire entree because not entirely clear why. And so he in the morning I went to do Morning Joe, and we're there and like, looking at this tweet, that's like, you know, I might just just wipe this civilization from the face of the earth, because I can thank you for your attention to this matter, Donald J. Trump. What I didn't know is that I actually think that that was a day. It was like the day that Donald Trump said, like we put the light inside the body and it kills the COVID. Remember that, Like it was like one of those days where everyone went, oh, right, he's nuts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I thought, that's right.
Speaker 6: I mean, for the for the people who somehow, you know, I don't know, ten years into this shit, haven't remembered that or figured it out yet. But you know, you said, you're you aren't really sure why he said that. I think I'm pretty sure why he said that.
Speaker 5: Because we're losing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, and that's what you do when you're losing, particularly if you're losing and you have nuclear weapons, you.
Speaker 5: Say stuff like that if you're a psychopath. On top of all that.
Speaker 1: And what happened almost immediately was we saw so Tucker as soon as Donald Trump launched this thing. And again, no one has to hand it to Tucker, right, No one has to hand it to Techer. You knew him and his anti war stuff is very wrapped up in anti Semitism, anti Israel, anti this, anti that. So no one is handing it to Tucker Callson. But he has been staunchly anti Iran Moore, maybe because he's anti war, maybe because he's anti Semitic, maybe both. Yesterday we saw Alex Jones driving in his car, I don't know why he couldn't pull over, saying we need to do the twenty fifth Amendment, which of course means getting rid of the president. These are two of the people who made him the nominee in twenty sixteen. Right, it is hard to think of two people who are more responsible for Donald Trump winning the nomination than Alex Jones. Remember, Donald Trump went on Alex's Jones's show when he was the very fringiest French and Tucker Carlson. Remember Donald Trump went on Tucker Carlson Show when he was the very most the most sort of mainstreamy MAGA you know Fox News host.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the reason Alex Jones couldn't pull over is he was afraid his car was going to get repossessed if they caught up to him. But yes, I know a lot of the MAGA people who are public facing are not happy with the Iran war, you.
Speaker 5: Know, the cheerleaders that Fox Aside.
Speaker 6: My only feeling is I don't know if that translates to the rank and file MAGA. The polling I've seen shows that they're okay with the Iran war, and because they're not as much ideological as they are just you know, in a cult, in a cult, so if Trump does it, it must be right. But okay, putting that aside, yeah, I mean, we are definitely seeing.
Speaker 5: A huge split.
Speaker 6: Is I guess would be putting it maybe kindly, but I think accurately.
Speaker 1: And yesterday Tuesday, there was this one voice that was still defending him or had I mean, besides Ben Shapiro, who has gotten creamed partially probably because of anti Semitism, but also because he's staunchly pro Israel and thus staunchly pro this war, and his numbers are just going down. He's hemorrhaging viewers. MAGA turns out, Maga does not have a huge appetite for whatever that is. But one of his last defenders was Megan Kelly, and Jesse is going to play us a clip of where Megan Kelly is right now.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 8: As you can imagine, that post did not go overwell with the Iraniance or with many Americans. I mean, I don't know about you, but I am sick of this shit. I'm just I'm sick of it.
Speaker 7: Can't he just.
Speaker 9: Behave like a normal human? I mean, honestly like the President three and eight. Yes, shut up, fucking shut up about that shit. You don't threaten to wipe out an entire civilization. We're talking about civilians, just casually in a social media post go Andy as someone who knows her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, just the idea.
Speaker 6: This isn't even like, you know, the sort of famous. I can't believe the leopard date my face, the leopard ate her face like she's she was the original, you know, blood coming out of her or wherever, and she's sitting there going, why is why can't he not be like this? You know, eleven years later, we're twelve whatever, however many years ago that was. I mean, that's just insane. But I will say this, Megan Kelly does have her finger on the pulse of the assholes. And you know, if she's out there saying this, because look, I don't believe that Megan Kelly really has a set of core beliefs at this point. So if she's out there saying this stuff, she sees which way the winds are blowing, and she's very good at that. You know you can't deny that. So you know, again, I think the magabase is fine with Iran. The Magabase is never gonna not be fine with Trump. It's the people who aren't the Magabase but who voted for Trump. Those are the ones you gotta get see.
Speaker 1: And I disagree, okay, And I'm gonna push back. And now I could be wrong, wrong, Molly. I know you're gonna be shocked to hear this, but I had been wrong before. So remember, part of what happened with Trump in twenty twenty was that he lost He lost the Indies, right, the normal people, the people who are like I don't like the tweets, I don't like the racism, but I really want a tax ted. So I'm going to whle my nose at both him. This is not that, this is the pure Maga. This is the royers. This is the young men who like racism. And here's my take, Okay, I think that Tucker and Alex Jones and Megan Kelly are not reflecting their own views. They're reflecting the views of their people. They're on the Internet seeing their people, and their people are saying like, we don't We're not into this, and so this about face, it's a real split in the core of maga that you really have because remember, like if you think about it, if you look at Ben Shapiro and you see that he is just hemorrhaging viewers, listeners, whatever it is he has. So part of that can could be anti Semitism for sure, because he's very but some of that has to be anti war stuff, right because he has been a just a continual voice for the war, and so these people are learning that lesson. I mean, I'm reminded of like when we saw I mean, we've seen phenomenons like this where YouTubers are sort of on you know, their popularity hinges on what they go along with or don't. I think that this is I think this may actually really be a canary in the coolen.
Speaker 5: A couple of things. One, it's not that I completely disagree with you.
Speaker 6: I was saying, more like, just from an electoral perspective, right, the pure MAGA people you know, are probably voting for jd Vance or whoever in twenty eight But it's the not pure MAGA people who are looking around now and saying, you know, it's the ones who, for instance, keep saying, this is not what I voted for, even though it's what they voted for.
Speaker 1: Right right.
Speaker 6: Fun you know, you go get a poll, do you oppose or support the war with Iran? Maga Republicans support it seventy seven percent to.
Speaker 1: Forteen right true. Okay, So that's where.
Speaker 6: I would push back on. I'm saying that it's like, you know, MAGA as a block is not happy. They may not be happy with how it's being prosecuted, but they're not opposed to the war because Donald Trump is doing it and you know, in Trump we trust. So that's my only that that that's my pushback on that there. Yeah, but I agree with you again the forward facing MAGA people who are influential, and and the fact that seventy seven percent number doesn't have to be there forever. You know, if if the Megan Kelly's and the Tuckers and the Alex Joneses and the you know, I don't think Tim Poole is on that list.
Speaker 1: Is timpole still.
Speaker 5: I think I think he's basically going around saying we won.
Speaker 3: What I would say is he's hitely skeptical occasionally, but mostly in on mister Trump's plague three D trust exactly. We don't want my interjection and so feel free to do your analysis.
Speaker 1: Why can't we have your interjection? And are you not supposed to exist? I mean people know you.
Speaker 5: Exist, Jesse as the Wizard of Oz. They're not happy about it, but they know, no, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, they know they know the guy that's right every time. But yes, I do think it's an impossible situation for them because they have to you know, they got where they are defending the indefensible right, but now the indefensible doesn't track with America first right.
Speaker 6: I do think again, not to hand it to him in the slightest bit. I do think Tucker Carson is legitimately quote unquote anti war, and I do think that he would be if even if we were winning this war, I think he would be opposed to it. I don't feel that way about Megan Kelly or or some of the other people that you've mentioned.
Speaker 5: By the way, is this the fastests we've ever lost a war in our history?
Speaker 1: Well, it was always this war was always like we're going to war and you said why and they said because nukes. Well do they have nukes? No? Could Could they have nukes? Maybe in two weeks? Maybe not, Maybe they have them, maybe they're a week away. I mean, like, you know, there was like literally no effort to sell the war, even w Right, even Wa even his dad, Like there was a sort of like it was, you know what, there's a threat, there's this you know. I mean I remember after nine to eleven when they were like, we're going to go into Afghanistan, and I was like, Afghanistan, but none of the hijackers come from Afghanistan. Oh, you can't go into Saudi Arabias, so we're gonna go.
Speaker 5: Into Afghanistan, right, But it didn't.
Speaker 1: Make any sense. But at least there was you know, it was nine to eleven. We were all super traumatized, you know, at least right exactly, we at least they were trying to make the But it was I mean, it still was a moment where I was like, but Afghanistan, why Afghanist? Like it didn't make any sense.
Speaker 6: But but yeah, like I didn't even hear about yellow Cake this time.
Speaker 1: Around, all right, yellow Cake? Yeah, well there was definitely last time that was it felt like a real threat. This just feels like he's trying to descrive from the Epstein Files. And it really does feel at the end of the day, like, you know, people say that's such a that's such a like that. The dad says sort of not, you know, it's a it's a simplistic take on Donald Trump, but it may actually be true.
Speaker 5: I'm sort of it in the simplistic take group.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it might be part of it. I'm not saying it's not part of it. I don't think it's the whole reason. I don't think he's sitting there going I got to do something to distract from the Epstein files.
Speaker 4: I'm going to bomb you around.
Speaker 6: It's something he wanted to do, and and to me, he did it because he was convinced that there would be financial gain from it. Yeah, and you know, and it's turning out to be, of course, exactly the opposite. Although he is claiming that we are somehow going to make money off tolls.
Speaker 5: In the Strait of Hormuz.
Speaker 6: I really don't think that's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: But you know, my favorite part of the whole thing is that he's like, straights were clear, right, we went to war, straits are not clear. Donald Trump's like, we're going to make money on this.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, look, it's you know, you can sit there and try to parse his language and try to analyze everything he says, and then you just at a certain point you have to say, why am I doing this? Why am I pretending that he actually means something intelligent, you know, and and and rational?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because he doesn't.
Speaker 6: And and like you said before, it's like it's you know, to stop with the three dimensional chess bullshit. I mean, I think a lot of people have stopped with that at this point, but there are still some people out there who should know better, who keep saying that he's doing this. Because it's like, no, he's just he's just not right in the head. And on top of which he's you know, sundowning. So you put that together and you end up with this.
Speaker 1: It is interesting though to you know, like oil is so expensive and now he's you know, he clearly tacoed. But I mean, we shouldn't even say tacoed because like it was another civilization that he threatened to annihilight for seemingly no reason. So is it a taco or is it just like a came to your senses. But oil and gas really expensive, like really really expensive. And you know there's this Goldman Sax prophecy of oil at two hundred dollars a barrel, like there is not this could keep going. And while this is happening, Donald Trump canceling wind solar clean energy that could be quite useful at this moment.
Speaker 6: Yeah, again, but it will make money for his you know, buddies in the oil industry and stuff like that. And again I do think saying distraction from the Epstein files again, there's there's some truth to that, but not not as a whole. As a whole, it's how can I help me and my buddies get richer?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I really think beyond everything else. That is the sort of motivation, you know, whatever motivation he has left in his little right when he gets up in the morning is kleptocratic. It's how can I enrich myself? How can I enrich you know, my friends? And that's what, in my opinion, ultimately, this was all about that because for some reason, again not a rational or logical reason, he thought that what he's doing now would make him richer, would make Jared richer, and et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's right. And let me tell you was someday we're going to find out about all the shit that's going on behind the scenes that's so illegal and sketchy.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I mean we already know enough to know that pretty much every single person in this administration in a in a just insane world would not be walking around free in the future. And like you said, that's just the stuff we know, the daily shit that the stuff that you know doesn't reach the level of billions of dollars of graft and corruption, the stuff that's only like you know, a half million a year, a couple of million there that we don't I mean, that's got to be just off the charts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I mean a fair number of people will go to jail events. Yeah, eventually, Andy Levy.
Speaker 5: Molly John Fast, will you come back?
Speaker 1: Sky Perriman is the founder of Democracy Forward. Welcome, Welcome, Sky, so good to be here. Let's talk about where we are right now with the midterms. We know that voting is decentralized in this country, so we know that Donald Trump has no power over the midterms. But I'd love you to talk us through why we're going to have safe, free and fair midterms.
Speaker 10: We're going to have safe, free and fair midterms because lawyers are going to do everything they can in court to prevent any type of subversion of voting or the midterm elections. And because people in this country like the fact that we live in a democracy, or we are supposed to be living in a democracy, and that people in this country take the right to vote very seriously. People are energized. People of all political ideologies are energized. They're upset about what they're seeing happen in their communities. And people are going to show up, and people are going to show up in numbers, and they're going the results that the American people is going to show just like what you saw in Minneapolis, you are going to see people show up and refuse to allow this government to take away something that is so sacred to all of us, which is our right to vote in our community and our humanity with each other. Now, that sounds good, and that's what we're going to do, but there's going to be a lot of work to make that happen. And I don't want to minimize the work that we have to do now all the way through the midterms, beyond the midterms, to make sure these votes are counted and the election certified and a new Congress is fully able to sit and to come into being.
Speaker 7: That's going to be a lot of work.
Speaker 10: I'm confident that the American people are up to the task, and I'm confident that the lawyers are up to the task.
Speaker 1: What does that run ups look like?
Speaker 10: Well, right now people are asking is Donald Trump trying to will he try to undermine the midterms? And the answer is he is already doing that. So we know a few things. We know that the Department of Justice has been trying to get voter roll data and voter roles from states, that every single court that has looked at these issues has that there is no basis for the Department of Justice to be demanding these voter rules. So that's playing out in the courts, and the courts are doing the right thing and the lawyers are doing the right thing by bringing those cases. In one of our cases at Democracy Forward, the government has had to reveal in public dockets it has had to admit that DOSE Team members last year had access to sensitive social security data and that a DOSE Team members signed a voter data agreement with a third party organization that has been involved in questioning state election results.
Speaker 7: So that was happening as early it's last year.
Speaker 1: Is that cyber Ninjas.
Speaker 10: The government has not yet said what group it is, but we are demanding discovery. We file a separate lawsuit to demand more information. We're investigating this through all the ways we can, and we're going to get to the bottom of it, and you'll see throughout the summer you're going to see litigation and investigatory demands and a range of the tools that we have and that other groups have to really shed light on what's happening and to start challenging it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 10: We don't have to wait until the midterms when we know many of these things are ongoing, so it's going to look like that, and then you're going to see the president do things in his fear mongering way. This week he threatened that he was going to use nuclear weapons. You're going to see him continue to try to distract people. You're going to see him continue to potentially try to deploy the National Guard to polling places. That's against the law, it would be blocked, but you may see that effort and then you'll see ICE. This is why the administration wants so much funding for ICE. They want to be able to deploy ICE and mask agents around the country to scare people, and lawyers will have to go to court to stop that. But our communities also will step forward, just like we saw in Minneapolis. Communities will step forward and be there and protect each other, engage in that mutual aid everything that we're seeing.
Speaker 7: This the best of this country come out in this crisis.
Speaker 1: So the place that this administration has really been losing is the court. Besides in like, it's just not popular what's doing, but they've really been losing the court. I would love you to explain to U US a little bit about what losing in the courts is looking like, you know, sort of what cases are losing and what delian state looks like there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, it's really unbelievable, Mollie. You know, it's been about we've been here and doing We've been up this, you know, a year and a few months now you've seen over seven hundred federal court litigations filed. And that does not include all the immigration detention cases or all the civil service cases.
Speaker 7: It is the largest.
Speaker 10: Effort because of how the administration is operating that we've seen legally, and you're seeing the administration lose seventy to eighty percent of the time. Even with the way they try to go to the Supreme Court, they're still losing so much of the time, including before judges the President Trump himself appointed.
Speaker 7: So the texture of what this looks like now.
Speaker 10: Has taken on a new life just in the last few months where DOJ can't keep up with the amount of unlawful actions of the President's taking in the amount of lawsuits that are being filed, and so you're seeing DJ come into court and sometimes not even answer the complaints, and judges have to issue orders because DOJ doesn't even have a response does have a defense, doesn't have a response to what the president's doing. You're seeing the Department of Justice abandon appeals on big.
Speaker 7: Cases that we won.
Speaker 10: So we won a big case before I judge the President Trump him self appointed against the administration in Stephen Miller's effort in the Department of Education to stamp out racial justice and racial studies. DEI was a dear colleague letter. It was issued last year. We challenged it, won a court order. They said they were going to appeal it, took an aggressive stance. They didn't appeal it. They walked back their appeal, meaning that we've been able to preserve funding for K through twelve and higher ed on these critical issues. So you see that happening across the board. At first, we thought that would only happen in cases that maybe the White House didn't really care that much about.
Speaker 7: But we're seeing it happen on some of these big priorities.
Speaker 10: And so you're seeing that, and then you see the administration lose because of the words that the President and other administration officials use. So they make their case weaker because we'll go sue and say you're retaliating against you know, the nation's pediatricians.
Speaker 7: You don't like what they have to.
Speaker 10: Say about vaccines or about child health, you're retaliating against them. And before the Department of Justice can really make their defense, RFK Junior goes out on Twitter or True Social or x or whatever and admits he's retaliating against them.
Speaker 7: And so we see that all the time.
Speaker 10: We always say, let them talk and let them tweet, because we'll probably win in those instances.
Speaker 7: So that's looking good now.
Speaker 10: I'm not trying to minimize the harm that so many people in the country are facing, that communities are facing. Many communities have been harmed by the Supreme Court shadow docket, which has put a pause on some of the court orders that we've won in a way that's really been harmful. But by and large, the courts are protecting the American people in pretty extraordinary ways.
Speaker 1: And Bondie is out to say more.
Speaker 10: I mean, look, I think it's all the things that have been said. I mean, she obviously has a legacy of the Department of Justice that will be marked by everything from incompetence to cruelty to actually taking action against the very profession that the Department of Justice represents. Remember, they went after an unprecedented way as lawyers and law firms and have threatened judges. But I'll also say that it doesn't matter you know who the attorney general is. It's not the Pambondi.
Speaker 7: We heard that.
Speaker 10: You know, the President said, well, he was upset that Pambondy wasn't able to prosecute his enemies as aggressively as he.
Speaker 7: Had wanted to see.
Speaker 10: That's not going to happen regardless of who is the attorney general, because so much of what the administration has done is baseless and doesn't have a real legal basis. And so I do think that the administration is playing damage control right now.
Speaker 7: They're trying to distract people.
Speaker 10: They're having a real bad series of weeks because the American people aren't having it. You had eight million people in the streets at no kings this rash of legal wins that we're able to achieve right now because they're breaking down in the courts. But I also think that like the administration has a hard road ahead of it, and it doesn't have to do with who specifically the Attorney General is. It has to do with what they're trying to do with the Department of Justice, So we're watching it very carefully. Todd Blanche of course has been hand in hand with Bondi, so that's not a real market change and how the Department's going to operate.
Speaker 7: And of course many people.
Speaker 10: Thought that this departure was because of the oversight that was happening with the Epstein files, and we see that today as we're recording this, the Department of Justice has said that Pan Bondi isn't going to show up to Congress as she's required to do. So I think that there will be more to see along those lines in the coming days.
Speaker 1: What is the rationale for that that she doesn't want it or is there some like legal.
Speaker 10: Yeah, no, there's not a legal basis for it. They will want people to think, well, oh, now that she's not Attorney general, she doesn't have to come to Congress. Well, Congress makes a lot of people will come to Congress and aren't attorney general, And especially when the questions that they have is about what happened in an official position, it's absolutely the case that people need to show up and answer questions. So I believe you'll see a lot of efforts to distract and to confuse people around this, but she absolutely, you know, will need to appear, and it'll be important that our lawmakers, you know, make her and continue to push this issue.
Speaker 1: We've seen Nancy Mays and Roe Conna say that they will hold her in contempt of Congress if she does not testify. I know this from my grandfather. You've naturally be jailed for contempt of Congress. I mean, I know that Trump won't probably allow it, but or he'll try to do something crazy about it, but theoretically, at least that could happen.
Speaker 10: Right, Yeah, And I mean this is where you have to sort of look at what we've seen from this administration. So we have not yet seen the administration operate with like a level of courage or consistency. So typically what happens is they say, well, we're not going to do this, and you say, well, the law makes you do it, and we're going to enforce the law. And we've largely seen them at that point, they come up with some rhyme or reason, they go out and say a bunch of confusing things, but they actually do show up and comply. Now, I don't believe that they're lawful people. I think their lawless people. But I think that they are a people in an administration that is not impervious to public pressure, and so it'll be interesting to see how all of this plays out.
Speaker 7: But you absolutely can't.
Speaker 10: There are very direct penalties for being in contempt of Congress. It's not something that anyone would recommend you had. Steve Bannon, I think, served time because of his refusal to cooperate with the process. And we'll have to see what happens. We'll have to see what happens there. But one thing that we've wanted people to like understand here is that what we've seen is that when people push back, whether that's in the courts, whether it's Congress pushing back, whether it's people you know, showing up and using their voice and making their phone calls and getting in the streets, the administration often doesn't really know what to do and it kind of wobbles around. I mean, that's how we've been able to force them to comply with court orders. They'll go out and say we're not going to comply with the court order. They try to not comply with the court order. But then when you pull them back in and get them in the room under oath, they haven't yet, just really wanted to. You know, they make up a bunch of arguments. It's about why they think they're complying. I mean, they haven't yet. We haven't seen them take that next step. We sure might by the time this administration's over. I'm not minimizing how lawless they are, but some of this is really about the will of the people, and people and their lawmakers and the lawyers and everyone having to just keep putting them through their paces and forcing them to operate within our system of laws.
Speaker 1: So you're doing a lot of cases, and you're winning a lot of cases, But what cases do you think are not happening that you think should be happening, or what is happening that you feel is so important.
Speaker 10: So I think a lot of the cases that are happening are really important. And the challenge for us as lawyers, and the challenge for people that are able to support legal work and organizations like Democracy Forward or the ACLU or State AGS is we've got to keep them going because you know, the private bar and I was a member of private law firms for many years, but they're not stepping up to the plate right now and doing this work and so the fact that you have the largest and most successful legal effort at this point and mistration's history. This is being driven by empowered by people, and we've got to keep moving. So I think the cases we're doing are super important ones that I like to highlight. The administration's immigration agenda. I really don't like to call it an immigration agenda. It's really an autocratic power grab that they try to use immigration as the excuse. But it has gone very poorly for them overall. I mean, we're winning. There was a big headline in the La Times over the weekend about just how the rash of legal losses the administration has experienced, the retaliation cases, the presidents saying you can't say the I'm going to put them on a list, and those are all the administrations losing those. We want people to understand that so they don't feel as afraid. And then the funding case is trying to weaponize the federal government against you know, and everything from snap beneficiaries to you know, homeless housing projects. You know, we've been able to largely win a lot of those cases. I think cases that aren't happening, and it's not for a lack of trying it's for some of the weaknesses in our laws are the administration is deeply corrupt, and that government corrupt at this point, and the president's family is seeking to profit off of the presidency, and all of these things that have been regardless of you know, both political parties that have been sort of held sacred in terms of this public service. This administration doesn't get that, and they're operating with just levels and levels of corruption. We are going to bring cases, and we have brought cases to get at that. We were going to start looking at private actors that are out in the world benefiting from the president's corruption to see what levels of accountability we can see there. But when there is the next governing moment, it is going to be important for the United States to put in place more protections against broad scale government corruption. Our nation was set up for the government to actually not want corruption and to want to root out corruption. And this administration has taken away all those levers, the Inspectors General, the Office of Special Counsel. They've weakened all these levers and they've left a big gaping hole where a.
Speaker 7: Lot of corrupt activity can happen. Now. I believe a lot of that back to is criminal.
Speaker 10: I think a lot of that activity can be litigated in the civil system, but it is not easy, and we need to we need to be able to build and bring more of those.
Speaker 7: You'll see us do that in the days ahead.
Speaker 10: But we'll also need a nation that, after we get through this moment, says enough is enough, We're never going to let this happen again. That puts in place stronger guardrails there. Yeah, very very true. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Sky, thanks.
Speaker 7: For having me.
Speaker 1: No moment full Jesse Cannon Smiley.
Speaker 3: A lot of us are finding this pretty disturbing. The DOJ is really up at the ANTEA now showing they're actually seriously going to go after Cassidy Hutchinson for her testimony during the January sixth trials.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but look, they are going to go after everyone, right, They're going to go after Cassidy Hutchinson. They went after Alvin Bragg, They've gone after They are just going to keep going after people. But here's the good news. It doesn't work because you cannot get juries to indict these people because this is not We're not a Banana Republic yet, and this is sort of the problem. Trump ism keeps running into is that like we have norms, we have a system which keeps our crazy president in check. I mean as much as anything. Though it doesn't totally work, but they're going to go after her. I know, you think Casey Hutchinson is a really great example because she's young, she doesn't really have money. They're really targeting her in the hopes of, you know, scaring her and getting her to feel like there's no one to protect her. It's appalling. It shows how terrible they are, but it's also really transparent, so I don't think it's going to work for them. That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday to hear the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going. Thanks for listening.