Speaker 1: Performers getting into trouble. So Miranda Lambert, I've split the difference on her and the people in the audience, because sometimes something can trigger you and you can be distracted by something that wouldn't seem like a big deal. I don't know what the situation was, but it really really got under her skin. And that's I guess what being an entertainer is today. You got to just deal with it and put the book gloggles on. But I imagine it's easier said than done. And thankfully that didn't like put her into the ground, canceling her. Because I'm splitting the difference. And then you have Cardi B. Someone splashed a drink on her. But she's up there performing and someone splashes her with freezing cold water or just cold water. She threw her microphone and it was so instantaneous that it was like a gut reflex. You could just tell there was no thinking involved. You know, someone on my and my messages said they played fuck around and find out, and I'm team Cardi B. They played fuck around and they found out. But what I know and what I saw is they played fuck around and find out, and she threw the microphone down and you could probably really hurt someone really badly. You could poke someone's eye out, so it's not great. But if you're gonna fucking poke a bear in the zoo, this is what's gonna.
Speaker 2: Happen, you know. So I was team CARDI B.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say, you don't know what's happening in the moment because you don't know how distracting the women are. You don't know what actually happened. You know that not everything needs to be said, and that the artists should have controlled themselves because frankly, everything is subject to cancelation now. But I also understand it being very distracting for a performer having people not paying attention. And sometimes you're speaking at a charity event and a bunch of people are laughing or making noises or the clanking of dishes, and people don't realize that you're noticing it. And I will say, you always notice the weirdest little thing, like I could be. I'm in the podcast room right now and my assistant is way off to the side, so don't she's not in my line of sight. If we were in a separate, different setup where she were in my line of sight, she could be totally silent, but like opening a wrapper or doing something or scribbling something or typing furiously, and it would be distracting. So I'm just going to say I am going to split the difference because I don't know what was happening in the moment. And I think I've told you this before, but I once through a bottle of orange juice on three people in a concert setting. I'm not saying I'm proud of myself end and this is not this is not me performing. I'm saying I have to own when my behavior is bad. But I'm going to tell you the context of the situation and you can make your own decision. So I was at Steven's Talkhouse, which is a sort of like an amaganstt Local, feels like a college saw dust bar where live music plays. But major people have played there, Like you'll have like local bands to Nobody's to Joni Mitchell to Jimmy Buffett. Major people have performed there. I don't know if like the Rolling Stones have performed there, but it wouldn't be surprising. Cold Play was performing there this one night and every summer, like Billy Joel's probably performed there. I'm sure like there'll be a stop by and they'll be surprised and it's like something cool for the locals, and.
Speaker 2: The word gets out.
Speaker 1: It happens At Surflage last week, one of the Jonas brothers was djaying like, it's just a Hampton's thing for people who are proportionally larger in fame than the size of the location, based on how many seats it can fill, and it's cool. I've seen why Cliff at Surflage, like it's just a col Hampton's thing. And I'm sure you've seen this in other places too, but it's a Hampton's thing. So Coldplay was performing and I found out and I was on serious radio.
Speaker 2: I was on Radio Andy and I had my.
Speaker 1: Own show, and there was a girl, Melissa lann Or who used to be at the Today's Show, and she was a producer there and I knew her from the Today Show and I knew her from here, and she was saying, we want you to we want you to do five days a week. And that was back before a pandemic, when everybody was going in to fifty first and sixth or whatever avenue that is to go like we're serious, as I think it's in the same building as Fox, and I remember saying, like, the amount of money you'd have to pay me to go from downtown Trobecca every single day up there for several hours based on what I would have to be paid what they could pay me was just not going to track. I just wasn't going to do it. So I wanted to sort of stack shows. And I was doing effectively one show a week, and Melissa said, no one can hold a room like you, like you can talk to yourself and you don't even need guests and you don't need callers, and we want you to do five days a week. So it was exciting for me and it was flattering. It was before podcasting popped off and there was a demand, but I didn't do it. I didn't agree to do it. I said maybe I could do once or twice a week. Does it always have to be live? They thought it really had to be live, and now like definitely doesn't have.
Speaker 2: To be live.
Speaker 1: So it was cool and they liked me, like I was some sort of shiny new object that could possibly be very successful there and it was exciting to me. So serious was the were the ones putting on this concert and I brought my ex who passed Away's daughter who was in college.
Speaker 2: I think I forgot the her age, but a young girl, and I brought her.
Speaker 1: And this wasn't a great example for her, by the way, as I think about it, But I brought her to the Coldplay concert. And we were there and there's like a pit, like a square area right in front of the stage that has a wall around it, and right behind it is like a little area where you could stand up by the bar and like three people deep and people could watch no, maybe more people could watch a concert, but then you could also go up to the bar. It's behind like that pit. And at this concert was Beyonce and jay Z. I believe Gwyneth was there. I don't recall, but like Howard Stearns's wife was there, and John bon Jovi was there, and Jimmy Buffett and like there were major people there. And James Meyer, the chairman of Sirius Radio was there and he came up to me and he's like, oh my god, we love you. We need someone like you. Let's make this work. And I was super flattered and I felt great. John mcamroe was there and they had put on the concert but like it wasn't branded or you weren't aware of that. It was sort of just like a Hampton's concert. I saw a lot of people I knew that weren't on serious. Of course, Chris Cuomo's wife was there, whatever, there were just people there, so I there were three women that were sitting up on the wall behind that pit. So most of the of the club is behind that pit, and even behind the bar and around the bar like that.
Speaker 2: You probably could fit.
Speaker 1: I'm not good at this, maybe like fifty to seventy five people in there, and they're like several hundred people at this place. So the pit is just like where a certain group of people were, and a lot of them were more like gen pop like not the celebrities and same thing around there. And then there were other VIP areas.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was just by the bar and on that wall there were these three women that a giant diamond airing seek win tops. Everyone else is in like T shirts and jeans, and the three of them were sitting up there and security kept asking them to get down because everyone in the club behind them couldn't see. So they were taking pictures and they were sitting there and I was there with this young girl and people around me who were all complaining. Even I forgot it was somebody famous, someone like famous was there that was complaining about it, like we couldn't see, and they one of the women. We later came to find out. One of the women was a very very wealthy real estate guy's daughter, and I knew her sisters, so that later became awkward in my just like I felt a little self conscious, but everybody's somebody, but she was this like wealthy real estate person's daughter. The other woman is a wealthy Hampton's woman and her husband was worked was very high up, if not the highest person up, and ended up working for Trump, worked right under Trump. That was the second rich woman, and then there was the third rich woman. So it was three rich women decked out diamonds and taking pictures and they looked wealthy, of you know, they just looked at I didn't know who they were, and there were a sea of people behind them that couldn't see, and security kept coming up and telling them to get down, and they would get done down. But this was a major concert with Coldplay. You can imagine people trying to get in and what was going on. So every time security would leave, they would get back up and we couldn't see, and they were looking behind us like entitled, sort of like smiling and taunting, you know what I mean, Like they knew we were watching. They were like very like look what we got, like almost like kids. And it was really just it was like taunting. But everybody else was around me and no one did anything, and it was really really just bothering me. And I don't know why. It wasn't water. I think they didn't have big bottles of water. It wasn't a big cup of water, because I really just wanted to like throw water on them. But the bartender had like a minute made like twelve ounce orange juice. I don't know why they had that either. I guess they were pouring that in their vodka drinks. I can't recall, but I you know, like I said, it was a couple of people deep between the bar and these women sitting on this wall. They went going back up, and we would call security, other people. I never called security. Other people would call security, and then they kept getting back up and no one could see, and this young girl that I brought couldn't see. They were just blocking the main view. They were like bullseye in the center, so they could see Coldplay better than anyone else because they were sitting higher than even the pit in front of them. And I took the bottle of orange juice and one, two three, I splashed them all and like just walked away from that area, and I felt like exhilarated, and it was weird that I did it. It was like, how do you not know that that's not like, quote unquote the right thing to do in the world. Not everything needs to be said, not everything needs to be done. And I just felt like I walked around, but I felt like inside like lit up and like, oh my god. But it was sort of exhilarating, but I kind of knew I did something wrong. It was obviously gonna be what I was going to talk about the rest of the night. But like I'm a very strategic person, as you all know, I kind of don't act impulsively and rashly, and I just don't. I can't explain to you why. It was just it was so enraging and it was sort of everything wrong. Like you're already embarrassed when you're out in the Hamptons and you're going to markets and they're charging one hundred and twenty dollars for lobster salid and you know that, like you're an asshole and you live in the Hamptons, and you know how everyone thinks about the Hamptons. And what's funny is that the Hampton's not unlike Nantucket or places like Aspen, where there are wealthy people. There are a lot of locals, Like there are a lot of people in Mantak that are fishermen that you know, live on minimum wage and really try to make ends meet. And there are a lot of local Hampton's people that live in the Springs and live in Montalk, I mean, and live in Hampton Bays and like the Hampton's has a great fishermen like Ocean Rescue, local community. There's a lot going on out here that's not just rich assholes coming in from the city, you know, bringing camera crews for Housewives and Kardashian shows and paying one hundred and twenty dollars for lobster. And actually Stephen's Talk House is kind of where that converges because it's like a local down and dirty bar, but it's respected like you know, other local down and dirty bars that are respected. Maybe it's like CBGB's in the city or something. I'm not good into music, but I know it's a local, respected bar, and that's why they get like the sizzle of a major act coming.
Speaker 2: And then the normal.
Speaker 1: Kids that work as golf caddies and bars whatever, they're so excited because they probably know the bartenders at at at Even's talk house, and so they get to go. And there was a lot of like I said, there were a lot of locals there at this concert, but then you had the assholes too, And of course the locals rely on the assholes because that's how they make money in the summer, and that's how the lifeguards and the restaurants and you know, it's it's just a commerce situation. But there was something about these three women, one of whom's one of whose husband worked for Trump and one who's like a big rich, new money real estate family and the big diamonds and a Sequins and like the g and it just was like it just seemed like everything wrong, and so I fucking doused him with orange juice, and I just I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I want to say I regret it, but I don't.
Speaker 1: I can't explain it like I may be wrong, so I'm just saying I'm not bigger than the game, and that that happened. And then then either the next day of the day after everybody it's serious, like Melissa and people were like silent, noticeably silent. And Andy would have made more money on my show, and he really wanted my show to happen. And they were so hot on it, obsessed with it, and they went quiet. And the reason was because not only did Sirius host that night, but the guy who worked for Trump, whose wife was sitting on that wall, he ran and did the first round of funding for Serious Radio because Page six wrote about it, and like you splashed the wrong person who was responsible for the money raised for Serious And that was the end of it. And here we are on iHeart. So I lived happily ever after you go with your gut. I wouldn't do it again. I wouldn't want my daughter to see that, you know. And I was with a young girl. So there are parts of it I don't love, and I do cringe a little when I tell the story.
Speaker 2: But that's the story.