Speaker 1: Hey, ba fan, we got another throwback episode for you. In fact, happy throwback Monday. We're going to make that a thing, Okay. In this how to episode, we dug up from the archives of Brown Ambition. We are talking about how to finally Get Good with Money. We talk about Tiffany's groundbreaking New York Times best selling book Get Good with Money, that continues to fly off the shelves. Y'all. She sells probably more books in a single week three years after her book launch than most authors will sell in their first year. Okay, let that sink in. That is the force of nature that Tiffany is. And how good this damn book is?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: On this episode, we're going to talk about the core principles of financial wholeness that she covers in the book. I even take the financial Wholeness quiz to see how whole I am. And plus we ask and answer a question should you drain your savings to pay off debt? All of this and more in this episode of b a throwback.
Speaker 3: Hey, Hey, hey, we're back. We're black, We're blue bound, am bitch.
Speaker 2: We're having a book, y'all.
Speaker 3: What we are having a book? So I have to give you guys the epic. Hey, Hey, hey, oh my gosh, Mandra, yes, this.
Speaker 2: Is your week. My baby's here, my reel's.
Speaker 3: Here, Oh my, go's a book. I know it feels surreal because I went into Barnes and Nobles today and at first I didn't see it and then I saw it and I was like, you know, I do not explain it, but I'll just say this that eleven or twelve years ago whatever, like my first book, One Week Budget, which I self published, came out. I went to Barnes and Nobles and because a friend of mine was like, I got a new camera. Do you have pictures? And I was like no, He's like, you want pictures. I was like, I guess. So my roommate at the time, because you know sisters broke, I was living in a room, so literally roommates at the time. Lauren was a budding makeup artist and I was like, Lauren, Ricky bought a camera and he said he wants to take pictures, and he said, bring my books to Barnes and Nobles. I didn't know what he had in mind. And I think I'm going to bring my favorite almost church dress but looks on professional dress. Can you do my face, and she was like, sure, I don't know why we didn't do faces at home, but we did it in the bathroom at Barnes and Nobles. And I got dressed in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: Bar's not even in the car, just in the nasty bathroom. Yes.
Speaker 3: And so I came out and put like eleven books on the shelf, and Ricky with his new big camera, proceeded to snep and I'm ever thinking. I didn't even think, like, is this allowed? It wasn't because the manager comes over and says, you can't do that, you cannot do that. I was like what. So Ricky and all his brazenness, says, keep posting. So he's like, what we'll leave. I'm so like, just imagine what we'll leave. I'm sorry, okay. And so I have these pictures and I cannot wait because I'll be posting on my social the epic how it started. And yesterday I went to well, today I went to Barnes and Nobles with my book legally on the bookshelves and legally taking pictures to how it's going. So I can't wait to put up side by side. You can see my locks are way longer. I got you know, a few extra pounds on my booty. But my book is on this shelf for real this time, and it's my face on it. It just it still hasn't hit because I'm not gonna lie. It still feels like I put my book on the shelf, you know.
Speaker 1: But you walked in there and it was just someone else put it on their tip.
Speaker 3: And I know, I know, I did know the lady I asked her. I was like, am I allowed to push these to the front because they had them on like the third sholf. I was like, yeah, I'd like it right here eye level. She was like, yes, Wait are you the author? I said I am, And she was like, well you sign them. I'm like, am I allowed? She said yeah. She said, as a matter of fact, let me go get stickers because we actually have stickers that say autographed. That was like, oh, oh my goodness. So she was so awesome. Shout out to Laura of Barnes and Nobles in Clifton, New Jersey. I signed the books there and she took pictures of me signing the books. She's like, she asked me if she could post them to our so to their social I said absolutely, and I brought my friend Rihanna with me. I mean, we did a whole photo shoot, we did video, we did boomerangs, we did girl I went live, I did all the things. Oh, but it just like it's so crazy because it's been such hard work. I mean, y'all know I work hard, but it's a different level of hard work. Pushing out this book. It was a different level. And yet this week, because this is launch week, it's a very important week. This week determines, you know, you're going to make New York Times bestseller. This week determines a lot like do people want to work with you again? It's you know, like very few books do poorly in the first week and then go on to greatness. Like you know, this kind of sets the tone. And yet I'm going into this week feeling really calm because my team and I have already done like the work. We've already sold thousands of thousands and thousands of books already, and so I just think the audience is ready. Honestly, I encourage you to go into Barns and Noble put my book in the front, because don't let them play you if my book is not on the new Because there's like there's a section that says new nonfiction. If it's just in the regular finance or business section, be like, cis, this is a brand new book. It needs to be here because some of the Barnes and Nobles can decide where they want to put it. But if you know, if you ask, they will put it in the new section because it deserves to be in the new section so people can see. But yeah, it just feels like surreal because you know what, Like what's best of all is that it's a good book. And I'm usually hard on myself, you know me, Man, I'm like, yeah, I guess, like, but it's a good book. I feel really proud that, like I wrote something that's actually good and it's going to be really helpful and it's really just going to transform people's lives. Like it's a good book. And I was like, Tiffany, well done. I don't know the last time I told myself well done. And I can honestly say not the marketing, not that, but like the book itself, I can honestly say, Tiffany, job, well done.
Speaker 2: Snap.
Speaker 1: I mean the content matters, right, and I think that it's not just selling because I mean, of course, it's selling because you're a marketing genius and Dreamcator Nation has always had your back and all of that. But it's when the product is good. It's good, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, isn't it?
Speaker 1: Like where opportunity and preparation meet, that's when the real magic happens. And I'm so excited. I get to watch it all from my comfy chair and no pressure from land.
Speaker 3: Well, yo, baby, what will we do if it makes any time?
Speaker 2: Best?
Speaker 3: So? Like, what will we do? Imagine?
Speaker 1: I've been waiting for you to tell me where I need to show up and how many confetti poppers to bring, and like what's kind of champagne.
Speaker 2: You don't like? So I can drink it by myself?
Speaker 3: I haven't. I don't even know what I would. I don't. I just it's like my mind can't conceive. Like I'm like, yeah, I said the Free School.
Speaker 1: I feel like Oprah is listening in somewhere, or the intern who works for the book people at Oprah Inc. Or at Harpo and uh and own, Like, come on, y'all put a sticker on this book if she hasn't had a personal finance book in a long time.
Speaker 2: Yes, and a very long time ever, maybe not since David Bach or.
Speaker 1: Susie your Come. This has Oprah Oprah, don't let respeach you to this girl, don't let respeech you.
Speaker 2: Oprah is a Oprah's favorite thing.
Speaker 1: We need the Oprah's Book Club to take notice because, especially at this moment in our country, people have been drugged, especially black and brown people have been.
Speaker 2: Dragged through it this year.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is at a great self to the hearts of you know a lot of people who are feeling like we have been left behind by this financial system and we have been left behind in so many ways. And Tiffany, this book is like the great equalizer.
Speaker 3: You know. Somebody that like I was on this podcast called it. I think it's the root. It's lit. It's a literary podcast. And these just these two sisters who love reading and books. And one of them gave me like the best compliments. She was like, girl, first are one. I cried. I'm like what, She's like, what finance book makes you cry? Not like a cry and a hopeless but like, oh my god, it's for me. And she told me She's like, this is not nobody's finance book, Tiffany. She said, it's equal parts memoir because you know, I share my story because I want to normalize the financial drama and trauma. It's okay, we've all been through it. She said, equal parts guide because it's an actual step by step this is how you fix, maintain, grow whatever wherever you are financially. And she said equal parts self help because it really does help you look at where you are and learn not to judge yourself and to be gentle and to give yourself space and grace to grow and learn. And when she said that, when she said like memoir guide and self help, I'm like, you know what, She's right. She's like, I've never read a finance book like this before. Tiffany. She's like, it's like sitting with your sister girl, Who's like, all right, girl, this is the weekend. We're gonna get our lives together. Let's walk through it together. And I just that's what I wanted. I wanted a safe space for our women, you know, like b a listeners, a safe space for you to go to grow when it came to your finances. And I just like, yeah, to just hear from women that it was intended for, saying like that's exactly how I felt, you know, ye like it just just I'm like, honestly, it just feels I don't even know, like it just feel so so good and right. I mean, and also too, I've been working with doctor Green. Doctor Green is a miracle worker because I'm just in such a better space now because I can actually feel you know, remember I remember I was feeling less like a few so I can actually think, I know, and that's what it's feeling like. I'm like, oh my gosh, like my synapses are waking up again. I'm like, I feel things, but it just feels it just feels like really good. I'm just like, you know, I'm like Tiffany, it's okay to say you're proud of yourself, and I am, and just everybody that's made it happen, the budgetest, the boosters that I tapped into. So you know me, I don't believe in gurus and I'm not gonna pretend to be your guru. And if I'm getting information from someone who, you know, I think is an expert in a space, then I believe that they should get their shine. So I made a space, like I made it my business to reach out to people within the Brown Ambition financial like world to say, hey, you know I trust you when it comes to this. Tony Moore sister Georgetown graduates. I think she got her master's and laws. She's my attorney and she does my she's joined my estate plan. Like, girl, you are a bad mambajama. And I don't want to pretend like I know a state plan other than like the basics. Can you help to pour into me so I can pour it to the people and then I share this is Tony, my budget needs to booster for this chapter. She's going to be giving us advice along the way, and so certainly you hear my voice, but they're boosting opportunities where Tony jumps in with her expertise, and you'll see that throughout the book. But that was intentional because I want you the reader to know that no one has all the answers, including me, especially me, and that and I also do really believe like sharing the wealth because like Sandy's in the book, Courtney from the Ivy Investor, Kevin from Building Bread, Angelie who I love my cfps in the book, you know we love Nativa the Frugal Credit Nisa Kara the frugal feminista with her mindset stuff, ash Cash with his mindset stuff. I really pulled out, like I don't know, like just some amazing people and like because you don't see their picture. What I love is there's gonna be so many women who are not going to realize, like I put all these brown people in this book. Girl, that's right, you learn it from brown folks today. Okay, let's get into.
Speaker 1: Let's get into what people are going to get out of this book.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I actually went to ge God with Money dot com and I took the financial Wholeness checklist quiz that we're going to quiz a quiz.
Speaker 3: And if you want to take the quiz, you can. You can go to gg WM. That stands for Get Good with Money, so ggwmquiz dot com. So if you want to take the quiz that me and Mandy are about to talk about, you can go and take the quiz. It's like two minutes, you get your results, you get your life, and then I send you like a checklist like via email to keep with you.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I actually did the checklist to see how financially whole am I and I thought for sure like I've been talking to you for over five years once a week, I should definitely be one hundred percent financially whole, but I'm only eighty percent whole. Okay, that's not only First of all, that's great, only eighty percent and it might be more like seventy five, but I give over four.
Speaker 2: I give myself a full check.
Speaker 1: But let's walk through. We'll walk through each of these and then I will reveal where I am falling short. But the basics right budget building. So with budget building, what are we talking about here? And how in the book does the wholeness checklist sort of play into the overall message in the book.
Speaker 3: So in the book I really lean into not just like you know what you're missing, you know, but like how do you fix it? How do you get there? And so I want it to be clear like for budget building, like it literally says like I have a written and at least partially automated like transfer savings bills, et cetera personal budget, and you have the necessary checking and savings accounts to support my budget. That part is really important because you ask people do you have a budget?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Do you have? Is it written? Is it partially automated is it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Do you have do you have the appropriate appropriate amount of bank accounts? Okay? Sis? And you don't really fully have a budget that's sustainable. And so the book teaches you how to create this sustainable at least partially automated budget, you know, because you know, like I said, people don't really know what they don't know when it comes to like, so what should my budget really look like? So that's what you learn in the book. But I'm assuming that's what you got to check on.
Speaker 2: That you got that I gotta check.
Speaker 1: And my favorite part of my budget is the fact that I only had to do it once and then I just automatically, Yes, like when I get my paycheck or any income, I have automatic transfers going where they need to go, so that when I look at my checking account, it's just money that I know I can spend, which is my favorite way to budget because I don't like spreadsheets.
Speaker 2: All that much.
Speaker 1: Okay, but number two new to budget, so save like a squirrel, which I love this. I just picture a squirrel eatings and ramen.
Speaker 2: And it's fine.
Speaker 1: But maybe a noodle budget got a beating this year. This past year, noodle budgets have been beat. But you're very specific about saying not just saving for three months of necessary expenses I eat your noodle budget, but doing it in an online only savings account.
Speaker 2: Why online only in particular.
Speaker 3: Well, because when your savings is next to your your regular checking at your brick and mortar bank, it's so easy to make that transfer, and it makes your money too convenient that an online only savings account one you get higher interests typically, I mean, you know, we know, like interest rates are not the greatest right now for savings accounts, but most importantly, it makes your money inconvenient. If you were at Target, everybody's safe and you're like, oh, Target, I want this blender even though I have a blender, but this blender is a red blender, and you're like, okay, checking accounts assists, you know we're empty. Stop your saving, says, we have money, but we're supposed to be saving for I don't know, emergencies or save e for our house. If your savings account is with your checking at the same bank, that transfer is going to take seconds. If it's at an online only bank, you're looking at minimum twenty four hours the next day, sometimes up to seventy two hours, depending if there's a holiday or whatever. So online only savings makes your money inconvenient, and inconvenient money.
Speaker 1: Get saved absolutely. I got to check for that hut. Digging out of debt number three. So you're either debt free or you have a clear picture of what and who you owe the money too. And not only that, but you've written down the components of each debt, like how much you owe interest rates. I love how you the first part of this one you think, oh, yeah, I'm debt free, but then you're like, that's not all.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be like, do you have a written down? Do you know this?
Speaker 3: Do you know that?
Speaker 2: And you're like, yeah, no, yes, yeah. So I've also ooh, this is another one.
Speaker 1: So not just that you you know you're digging out of debt, but also you've identified and use a debt paydown plan or online bill tool through your bank to automate your payments. I did get a check for this because all I have is my mortgage.
Speaker 3: Good. And so here's the thing, Like, so first time people debt free, that's great, but if you're not debt free, you still can check this off. If you have you are on you have a plan, and I show you multiple types of plans, like you can use the snowball method the avalanche method. I like the mix of the two. But I even have this debt sheet in the book that I give you in the back of the book. But also the book comes with this toolkit that's available at gig gods money dot com alongside the book, and so I you know, I give you the template and the resources to lay out your debt so you can see them. And as long as you have a plan to pay them off, and that plan is semi automated, then you can check this off. I don't like when it's like you can't check it off because I'm not debt free. Well, sis, I have a mortgage. IM I'm not not gonna check off this part because you know thirty years from now, you know that's when of my mortgage will be paid off. I'm like, no, as long as you have a plan in place and a clear picture of your debt, you can check this off as yep. So now, Mandy, I see, okay, you're at thirty percent, You've got your budget savings and your your you at least have a debt.
Speaker 1: Plan, yes, and next one score high credit. So making sure you have you know where to get So you've requested and received a copy of your free Fyco credit report and your score, which you can get a free credit score from just about anywhere these days, right, and that you have at least a seven forty. Why seven forty FIGHTO credit score?
Speaker 2: Why is that so important?
Speaker 3: Well, seven forty is the beginning of what's called typically perfect credit, right, So it's not I mean eight. Well, when it comes to FICO, we know the lowest is three hundred, highs is a fifty, But seven forty is the beginning of when you can get the best interest rate. Like when you go for a mortgage, the literally the banker will ask you do you have a seven forty or better, because that's the number that you start to get like, oh okay, well then you qualify for the best interest rate. Anything below then, you know, doesn't mean you won't get a good interest rate. You won't get the best that's out there. So I tell people instead of trying to stretch and reach for an eight to fifty, which is great, but guess what, typically my seven forty and you're a fifty will get me the same interest rates. So seven forty is is just it's more than good enough.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I typically use Discover Scorecard to get your fighto, but like every banks all offer them now, so it's really hard. And of course you can use you know, tools like to get a credit score estimate through credit Carma or things like that, but credit score card is my jam and I am over seven forty.
Speaker 2: Okay, though, yeah, I don't think about it as much.
Speaker 1: It was very stressful with the credit, you know, before I got the mortgage. But these days I'm like, okay, I guess you know, just good to have it if you ever need an emergency loan or something like that. I mean, your credit score is really it's just something to be maintained because you're gonna when you finally get around to needing it, or needing to apply for credit or something where they check your credit. It's it's like currency, you know, like the tipt the best.
Speaker 3: So she said in the book that which I love. She said, credit is like girl, I'm gonna need you to know me before you need me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the way credit works. Absolutely. Okay, So I'm not forty percent. Okay, fine, Fie, learn to earn or increase income.
Speaker 2: What's this one all about?
Speaker 3: So if twenty twenty taught us nothing else, is that we have to not that you have to be making money from multiple sources, but you should know how to that way. If you have to pivot to a different source of income you can, or increase a secondary or a third source of income, you can. So I want you to identify ways you can contribute value to your job. If you have a job and feel confident you can leverage them to ask for a promotion or raise, I teach you how to do that in the book. This is a chapter I pull in Sandy because Sandy is like the queen of side hustles, but not just that. You know, Sandy's been in HR for years, so she really helped me to lean into this chapter to teach you how best to ask for a raise and promotion and how to prepare ahead of time. Right or also too, if you already have multiple streams of income, you know how to maximize them, or you know how to maximize a skill set, so you can have multiple streams of income and you have a plan of action. If you desire to make more money, it's really important that you know how to earn more. It's not all about budgeting and saving. Learning to earn is critical.
Speaker 1: This one's my favorite, and I give myself a big check. I mean, I did go into the pandemic with a newborn, and like I think I was one month back on the job before I asked for promotion in a race.
Speaker 2: It just felt right. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Something about the something about that they wouldn't have seen it coming, just kind of made me want to do it, Like, what are they gonna do? I just came back from Matt leave, but let me let me see what they have going on. No, I think this is great and building the confidence to ask, So I will definitely be checking out that chapter because it's so so important.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: And also just so you know, the first five are like the super foundational foundation of personal finance, so like, you know, like the the basics budgeting, savings, debt, credit, learn to earn. Now we're going to go into the next tier, which is the next five.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't it be scary if I like didn't have any of the top five.
Speaker 3: That's not necessarily true, you know how we are. We're like, I gotta do it.
Speaker 2: But I love the checklist. I know, no, but you're right. A lot of people.
Speaker 1: That's why I like that you call it the financial wholeness checklist, because yeah, I mean you and a lot of people don't think about all this stuff at the same time. You know, they may have one aspect of their their finances, you know, checked off, and think that they're good. But but really, when you get down and ask these questions, kind of like when you go to the doctor and they start asking you very specific questions and you're like, oh, well, there's more than just did I wake up? Today's a lot there's a lot of other things that could be going wrong. Okay, but now we're into the intermediate level. Number six, Invest like an insider. What's this one all about? How do you invest like an insider?
Speaker 3: So insiders know that you investment fall and falls into two major tiers, retirement and wealth. You're really not saving for retirement. Women always say this. It's really you're investing for retirement and investing for wealth. So the difference is this, when you invest for retirement, you are saying, I'm setting aside money and investing it so I can maintain my current lifestyle when I'm no longer working when you and so it's literally about you and only you later on in life. Investing for wealth is different. It's about improving your lifestyle now currently and leaving money for airs, you know. So that's what now. Investing for retirement should happen no matter what. Investing for wealth happens after you have the foundational things like budgets, say that all that stuff. But investing for retirement happens no matter what, because no matter what, your eighty year old self is going to need to eat, it's going to need a safe place to live, it's going to need medicine, it's going to need transportation. You see what I'm so like, retirement is really not optional, but investing for wealth kind of is.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I give myself a check. I love my I love my four one K and but I will say the past five year old three years especially, I have had a lot of fun taking the next step beyond just like the target date fund, you know, index fund investing style and actually investing for wealth. And that's been it's been new territory.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And just if you guys are listening, you forgot, like, don't forget this is that gg w M quiz dot com for could Get Good with Money quiz if you want to take the quiz, like, hold up, let me see, because I would love if you could like tweet us, Instagram, us, email us like what your you know what your your score is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, use the hashtag gg W M O N E y g g W money Yes, loves it all right, O my ooh. My second favorite, Get Good with Insurance number seven.
Speaker 3: This is where this is where I like, at first before when I was writing this book, this is where I did it. I was not I was. I was eighty percent because my insurance and you'll see like this is where I was shaking, but now I'm good Anjelie got me all the way together. This is a chapter that I had Angelie really weigh in on because it's insurance is not just health insurance. You have to think about life insurance, potentially disability and property and casualty insurance. That's what you think of like home and artum So are you adequately covered? Do you know the need? So the reason why I was eighty percent when I first started the book is because I thought I was well insured. Angelie was like, yeah, girl, you're insurance like a twenty seven year old. I'm like, that's when I got my life insurance. You's like, exactly, this life insurance is enough to protect your twenty seven year old self, but not your forty forty one year old self. And so this chapter I think is really great for people who are like I did it. I'm good. I'm good. It's like, are you sis, how's your insurance looking? Insurance is as a risk management tool, you know, are you managing risks in your life? Like are you managing risks against your assets, against your life, against your earning potential, against your property. So I think this is gonna be a really great chapter for.
Speaker 2: Folks love it.
Speaker 1: This was the one I finally got together when I had the baby. It was like I left the hospital, I was like, I have to get some life insurance. Now I have a reason. And I will say the pandemic kind of threw me off because it was like the people literally they come to your house and they do like a or you go there sometimes, but they do like a physical you know your example, well, I think he took blood. It was like four in the morning. I don't know, I got to really early appointment. It's solid blur. But finally got it done back in August, And I think that's the most common question I see is how much is enough for life insurance?
Speaker 2: For me, it was ten x.
Speaker 1: I just used that rule of thumb ten x my household income, and you know, luckily got approved. In all of that, where's the best because people may not know where to start shopping for an insurance policy. And by the way, we're talking about life insurance, but also just do you have enough home insurance? Do you have enough property insurance?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: So making sure that you're covered for those types of things is important too.
Speaker 3: So one of the one of my favorite sites that that I mentioned in the book is a policy Genius, because policy genius is not just going to help you look for health insurance. You can just you can literally take a quiz and it'll let you know, like, ooh girl, you gotta pat what about kik Kiki the King in do you have put insurance? You know? Some policy genius is actually going to show you where you have like plugs or holes in your insurance and make suggestions for you. So that's when there's also select quote. That's another one. I think it's selective. Yes, that's another one that I like and so like just getting with it. When it comes to insurance. You know, if you're not working with a financial planner like I was, you know, taking one of those quizzes to see, like, you know, do I have enough insurance is a great place to start. So you could slowly but surely start plugging those wholes because the older you get, the more critical insurance become, especially if you have dependence, especially children.
Speaker 1: Yep, love it. Okay, three more, I'm not seventy percent so far. Okay, grown rich, grow richish, increase your networth. So this is when you know how to calculate your network, which is what tiffany.
Speaker 3: So your net worth is what you own all your assets. Mine is what you owe all your liability. So the owning things put money into your pocket, the owing things take money out. So assets versus liabilities. That is what net worth is. And so you have to know how to calculate it, which I show you how to identify your assets, to identify your liabilities. Actually have a net worth worksheet in the book. It's also in your Get Given Money like toolkit like I told you, that's available where the book is available on get goodwith Money dot com. There's a toolkit there, I mean a worksheet there, and you'll want you to like, if you don't have positive net worth, you should be learning how to increase it, and even if you do, how to increase it by increasing assets and decreasing liability liabilities.
Speaker 2: Loves it this one. I cheat.
Speaker 1: I use one of those money management apps which has all the information between my husband and myself and then it's a really pretty chart that we watch go up and down and it kind of shows your net worth net worth, which yeah, I love it. And also thinking about if you have a mortgage. I was always thinking of a mortgage as oh, this is a huge hit to my net worth, but then you forget.
Speaker 2: About the asset side of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know, so your praised home value is the asset. Yeah, you know, you factor in and then all of a sudden, it's like, oh yay.
Speaker 3: People people always get that message. They're like, it is a house and acid are liability. I was like, it's really both. Like you said, like the value of your home is the is the asset, and then the mortgage you have out on that home is the liability. It's like okay, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah that's yeah, That's why so many folks got burned during the housing crisis because they their home was not worth the amount of money they had taken out against it, so their debt they just owed more than the house was worth. So that's the nightmare situation. Luckily not happening here. Okay, networth, Okay, two more, Okay, so this is obviously we're down to the last two. We can probably figure out where Mandy has some work to do. But number nine, pick your money team financial professionals. So this is where you have.
Speaker 2: So how do you.
Speaker 1: Define what's your money team, Tiffany, Because we get asked about you know, financial planners, but what else? Who else is on your ideal money team?
Speaker 3: So it depends on where you are in life. So at the very least, I say, every single person needs an accountability partner. It could be your work mom. It could be your bestie, It could be your spouse, your partner, it could be your sister, your brother, your uncle, cousin, whoever. I do believe that money is a team sport and if you work on it with someone, and when I mean work on it, not like they have to be experts, but just like, okay, I'm doing my budget this week? Are you going to do yours this week? Okay? I'm saving. Yay, that's good. Okay. You know, someone to keep you motivated, someone to help normalize the process because they're going through it as well, someone to encourage you, you know, and sometimes someone even to set the example because maybe they're better at something else than you when it comes to their finances. So accountability partner across the board. And I always know y'all know, I have the Dreamcatchers group on Facebook Dreamcatchers Live Richer with the Budgetnista, and I tell people, if you don't know anybody in real life that you can get an account get to be your accountability partner. You can always find one in that group. It's like half a million of us in there, all working on our finances together, so that's for sure. But then there are people like a certified financial planner. You know, this is someone who typically they say you should have about two hundred and fifty thousand dollars of assets to invest before it kind of makes financial sense. So you might not need one, but that's someone just to keep in mind. An insurance broker, Now this you might not need, but if you're someone like me who I have several businesses, so I have an insurance broker. Shout to you, David, because you know, with my businesses and then my personal life, like I have to have someone who was looking at my insurance collectively to see. Like the other day, David's like, hey, if we twitch to travelers, we can save you and Superman three thousand dollars a year. I was like, let's do it. You know, and estate planning attorney. You may or may not need one, but I wanted to put it out there. What I love about in the book is that I explain who these people are, whether or not you may or might not need it, how much they typically get paid, if it makes sense, and how they're usually paid and less but not least a CPA has Certified public accountant. You don't necessarily need one because you might do your own taxes if you've got a simple ten forty easy you know, turbo tax is fine, you know. So I just share in this particular part of the book, these are just like, hey, here's who you might consider and why, but make the best choice for you when it comes to picking your money team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that so for me, the one that I don't think I need an insurance broker. I do have a CFP that I work with every once in a while. Helen's probably like, you haven't called me in a minute, what's going on? But for me, this is it's sort of a combo between nine and ten, which is leave a legacy about estate planning. I don't feel like I've gotten my estate planning down the way that I or you know what, even just to have a professional look at my look at my stuff and say, yeah, okay, you've got a plan because I don't have a plan like written down. I've got my beneficiaries checked off. I got my little life insurance. But I just really want to make sure that my family is yeah, is set up and my legacy is my financial legacy lives on. So let's talk about number ten leading a legacy.
Speaker 3: So about that for you. Here's why I am ninety percent as well. Like I think that people don't get, you know, I'm all the way transparent, like I am working on. I probably was one hundred percent before because financial hollness is very fluid, right, So I could have been one hundred percent before because I didn't need a trust before. But I've grown my assets have grown to a space in the place where I need a trust now, so I'm no longer one hundred percent. I'm ninety. So I'm working on a trust now with Tony Moore, my attorney, My husband, and I are so with leaving a legacy of state planning. This is when you've identified and completed the components of an estate plan, so that is potentially a will, trust, beneficiaries on your accounts, you know, and you have executed, signed, and funded your state plan. Tony, which oddly enough told me that Mandy people will work with her for six months to do a trust and then not put the stuff into trust and funded. She's like, so you paid all this money for me to make your trust. But it's almost like they're afraid of they create the trust or the will that the next day they pass away.
Speaker 2: You know, It's true.
Speaker 1: It's all this is so wrapped up in the emotions behind death. That's why it's for me, even just getting life insurance, I have to stop myself from thinking about the reason I'm getting this so if I die, but I'm not gonna.
Speaker 2: Die and mite not for my baby. Like yes, it's really it's hard.
Speaker 1: The emotions of it are really hard to unpack. You have to kind of like compartmentalize it all exactly.
Speaker 3: And so like I just honestly like, financial wholeness is my love language. Like here's what because people ask me, like what is because so the book is called Get Good with Money, Ten Simple Steps to Becoming Financially Whole, and so like folks ask me, like, what is financial holeness? That is when these ten components that I just went over really like kind of work together as a team to create the strongest financial foundation possible. It means that when pandemic and quarantine and these things happen, not that you won't have any financial trauma or drama, but that you won't be shocked like rock to the core like maybe you otherwise would have been, because you have these things in place, and it's not something that you're gonna You're not gonna do this in six months or in a year. These are going to be things that you slow grow too. And what will happen is as your life grows, things will look different. So financial homeness for your twenty one year old self is different than financial homeness for your forty year old self. Like I said before, when I was twenty seven, my estate planning I was fine because I had all I didn't really have much of in the way of assets, but the assets I did have, like I had a life insurance policy and my bank accounts, my mom and my sisters and my father were the beneficiaries and all of that. That's the state planning for a twenty something year old with no children, you know, and no major assets. That was fine. So what's so great about financial holness is that it grows up with you that as you grow up, you start to realize that you can look back and say, oh, my insurance, like I just got good with insurance, because my insurance before was fine, but now I'm married, I've got a bonus daughter, I've got nieces and nephews, I've got additional businesses. So as a result, my insurance had to grow to meebe where I us. And so financial homeless just know that you're ever evolving. And why I like financial holeness versus financial freedom is that many financial freedom to seem so it was not inclusive, right, So with financial freedom, typically people say like kind of like they have like this money set aside and it allows them not to work anymore. And that's great, But are you fully insured? I wasn't. Do you have an estate plan? It doesn't address that, you know what I mean? Like, do you have your like your financial team set up? So maybe you have a budget and you're saving, but just because you're financially free. Because I was financially free, but I was not financially whole. There's more protection and your ability to maintain where you are with financial holeness. And I would say financial freedom is for a few people, but financial hollness is literally for everyone.
Speaker 1: So if this is just a tiny nugget of what the book is like, I can't wait to get it to my cousin myself. I don't know what the audiobook, even though I talk to you every week. I feel like the audiobook's probably really good.
Speaker 3: You know. There's a clip that we were posting and I was so nervous to listen to it because I was like, oh good, because you just don't know how you sound. I'm like, was I sounding stupid? You know? Was I talking too fast? Da? Da? So they gave me this clip of like I'm telling the story like of one of my first financial lessons because my sister Tracy was like, and if you I mean, if you know sisters, they don't care anything about your feelings. Like my sisters were literally like that picture of you on the cover of your book, it's cute, but you're smiling too hard. Girl. I'm in gums. I'm like, tell Jesus because he made my smile. You tell Jesus. Like literally, That's what was happening in the WhatsApp. In the group chat, my sisters were going back and forth about is it too gummy? It is? I was like, I'm here, I can read, I can see you. But that's sisters, you know, so I don't you know your sisters are going to tell you like it is, especially Tracy. So when she said, did you listen to the audio version like that clip they sent you? And I was like, cause she's my papulocist, And I was like I was waiting for her to, like, you know, crack a joke and be like, Si, you sounded terrible, but it is what it is, because she'll say something like that and she was like it was good. I was like, Okay, She's like no, She's like, you know how like I hear you talk all the time, and I'm like nobody cares. And I heard that story so many times and I'm like, nobody cares. She's like, I listened to the whole thing, like I leaned in. I was like, what a nice.
Speaker 1: Word on the New York Times Bestseller's list quote sister Tracy had nothing mean to say about it.
Speaker 3: I was like, what, She's like, no for else good? I was like, you know, just being nice. She looked at me like, girl, why would.
Speaker 1: I just be seriously if you got some audible credits knocking around like I do?
Speaker 3: But I ordered like I did because I had like four credits and it was like one credit. So I got it cause I was like I want to hear it. So yes, for sure, though, but if y'all want to help me, you know, make it to the Mayor Times, then they don't count audible. You should certainly use your audible credit. They don't count audible. They only count like the hardcover books. And like, you're kidding, I don't think this that is, but I still say get it for you know, like if you got a free credit, I still say, you know, get it.
Speaker 2: Then you have both.
Speaker 1: Then you can take it in the car with you or on your walks and you come back home with your cup of coffee and then you keep reading, you know, the real book. It's like get Good, Get Good, a symphony us on that.
Speaker 3: But if you guys are wanting to get it should be in the show notes. But certainly go ahead to get Good with money dot com. One of the things that I'm committed to doing is that we try to do a rotation of like I showcase a black bookstore at the top of the page, so you can, like you can order from all those other places, and I have all the logos like at Amazon and Bonds and Nobles and targeting all those places, but at the very very top, I say, want to support a black bookstore. So the one that's currently there, depending when you're listening. But if you're listening like the week of pub date three, three thirty two, two thousand, we'll give me two thousand, twenty twenty one. What's currently showcase is bookstore in my hometown called Source of Knowledge. It's an amazing black owned bookstore Newark and Manny, the story is so amazing, So you know, Newark is totally like gentrifying, like trying to be Brooklyn and this black owned bookstore. The woman who owns it. Nobody wanted to buy anything in Newark, not any business owners. She bought the building years ago for pennies because no one Newark, we don't want it. Now that downtown Newark is like beautifying itself. I mean, big hotels and all these things are coming to downtown Newark. They tried to buy hers. They bought all the other little mama pop stores around her, and she was like, nope, I want source of knowledge, black bookstore that carries black books to be in the middle of all of that. And they're like, what about this, nope, what about that? Nope. They even tried to buy the air right so they can build on top of her, can you imagine? And they weren't able to mm hm. And so it's so like she's just it's just like the woman who's there. They have African masks in there. I used to go in there in college and you could just discover so many amazing books. I have never seen more black children on books, and in that bookstore, I didn't even know all these black children's books existed. She's got children's book, adult books, romance novels, everything. Like it's just so I say all that to say, it's currently right at the top of my page. If you want to support a local a black on bookstore, and I do a rotation. Before that, I had Mahogamy Books, which is I think, get what they're based at it, but they're an amazing bookstore as well, And so I'll just be doing a rotation probably like every month or maybe every quarter, just to show kids a black owned bookstore so they get some shine over there. But yeah, this has just been like I said, it's been an awesome experience and just the way it's been rolling out, you know, like go to get Goodwi money dot com to support take the quiz. There's a toolkit that's there, high key, low key. You don't have to pay to get the tool kit. Every it's like you're gonna make people pay. I'm like, girls, it's just part of the book, you know. Me. I love a free like in the tool I do because I'm just like the toolkit has all of the resources that I listened in the book by chapter. Like if I say I have my favorite banks, I list my favorite banks. If I say my favorite ways to get your credit report, I list them there. So that's like that's what's in the toolkit. So I mean it doesn't kind of make sense without the book, but certainly you know, you can stick your head and if you want to take a look, look see. But yeah, the baby is born. Oh and please leave a review five stars. I'm not allowed to say that, but it starts. And please, please please, when you physically get your book, to post it on social and to tag me so I can reshare it. Please, like just you know, Tiffany, I got my book and tag me. And so my promise is this, once I get to five hundred reviews on Amazon and Bars and Nobles, I'm going to do a free mini book club. We'll pick a chapter collectively together, we'll read it and then we'll have like a session like a you know, a jam session one night, like a two hour session going over that chapter. So that is my gift to you. Once I get to five hundred reviews on Amazon and on Barns and Nobles, we'll do a book club for free.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I mean, I just know I got teary eyed when Molly Moore came in the mail. So I can't eaven and I can't wait till Rio is big enough to where I trust him to not rip the pages and he can actually read it because that's on the way.
Speaker 2: Top of the bookshelf. But yes, I am.
Speaker 1: I am going to contact and if you guys too, like Tiffany said, contact your local bookstores and ask if they have it, and ask your library.
Speaker 2: Yes, ask your library if they have it. I'm I'm calling.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm gonna call my my local bookstore and see if they've got it.
Speaker 2: And then I'm gonna go.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get in the cart to night try and go find this. Damn.
Speaker 3: I'm telling Barns and Nobles has it? Just ask them.
Speaker 2: You got me out here in the streets go.
Speaker 3: To local Barns and Nobles saying, hey, I'd like gack it with money. Thanks.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm gonna say it very loud. Excuse me.
Speaker 1: There's a best selling book that I'm good about by Tiffany Alice. Well, seriously, okay, this was so fun. I can't believe this is my we finally talking about the book. It's launching this week. You guys, go to get Good with Money dot com. Buy a book, and don't just buy one, buy one for a friend. College is you know, college graduations coming up? I can see this being the book that you don't just give to a college grad once, but they carry it through them, through with them through the next couple decades of their life. Even I'm gonna put this book in my estate plan.
Speaker 3: You maybe just text me that her purchase of the of the of the audio version, m Mandy. I just love at the bottom that you are clearly listening to Harry Potter, and because it shows you what she's listening to. Curly, Oh, I am going to call me out like that, look at listen to Harry Potter. Well by get good money. She's like, I'm an adult, but a kid, but an adult.
Speaker 1: But I listened to Harry Potter to go to sleep at night. It puts me at ease, don't it's my meditation?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, look, I was like, what's this at the bottom Harry Potter?
Speaker 2: Interesting?
Speaker 1: I have all seven don't Okay? All right, Well, I'm just I'm I'm just I can't stop gassing you up because it's like, how often do you get to gas up your friend for their huge book that's coming out. So if it's annoying to you listeners who can love it, thank you.
Speaker 2: So I mean thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks Tiffy, Yeah, thank you, thank you, and congrat.
Speaker 3: Now it time to booster break or booster break or booster break? Are you going boost? Are you going to break? You won't boost, You're gonna break.
Speaker 1: I can hear rer all he's having a ball.
Speaker 3: Oh manager, are you gonna booster or are you going to break?
Speaker 1: I have to do a break because George is up to no good. Georgia, you saved us and now you're trying to undo it. Well, lixten, I will keep this brief, but essentially in Georgia, Georgia Republicans passed a sweeping voter law that pretty much is a new form of Jim Crow in a way. It has restricted voting access in the state. It's making it more difficult to bring proper identifications, so it's increasing the voter identification requirements for absentee voting. It's sorry, absentee balloting. It's limiting drop boxes. Those were the really cool, you know drop boxes you could use in the pandemic to save your life, to stay in line. And they are expanding the state legislator's power over elections. So it actually makes Georgia. This is according to the new York Times, the first major battleground to overhaul its election system since last year's presidential contest. So it's ironic that everyone raise Georgia, especially if you were, you know, voting Democrat and wanted a certain election outcome. You know, Georgia went blue for the first time in decades, and it just goes to show you it doesn't matter. It does matter who the president is, don't get me wrong, but it matters even more to pay attention to what's happening on your state Capitol hill and your state legislature. So if you're listening and you're from Georgia, make noise. You know, even though this law has passed, it's being widely, widely disputed, So make some noise. Voting rights groups like Stacy Abram's Fair Fight Action that I've been supporting for a long time, they are out there making noise, and they're asking businesses to withdraw support of certain candidates and certain legislators who have voted for this particular piece of legislation. But yeah, it's really really terrifying. This is not the direction that I think we should be going. Voting should be getting easier, it should not be getting harder. It's really just a very thinly veiled effort to sup press votes that are not convenient to a certain political party.
Speaker 2: So wanh wanh wanah. But that's my break.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, I saw that. I was like, thankfully Stacey Abrams. You know, she is very clear and understanding what this is. They're calling these like Jim Crow laws basically, and so yeah, so I had an original boost, but it's it flew the coup because you know, brains in eighty. So instead I am going to boost one of my favorite Instagram accounts because he does these cartoons. So the guy's name is a vision poet, right vision v I s io n Poet p O e T. So his Instagram account, he is a poet from Philly, and I'm as someone where around the same age. It's because like the stuff that he talks about, I'm like, oh yeah, yeah, I'm those times. So he does poetry, but that's not what makes his Instagram accounts so great. He's got this animated series that he's created that he calls Trash Trashed or Piece instead of masterpiece, but trash trash or Peace Theater where he tells stories about his trash youth, meaning like when he was basically like you know, a terrible boyfriend or like you know or just like him and his friends, but they are hilarious and the fact that they are animated and he's made them, I just to me, it's like much watch must watch EV. I think he posts like a new one every Sunday. When I say hilarious and like the most buttoned up people I will see like in the comments or liking I'm like you watch too. It's not like he's it's not like he's got like a thousands well he does have thousands of them, but not like hundreds of thousands of followers or anything like that. But he is hilarious like these because you're like, oh my god, I remember those times. What it's just really good. And like I said, I think they he drops a new one every Sunday. You're definitely gonna go down a rabbit hole and watch all of them. He's really really, really funny, and it just kind of takes you back for me anyway, since you know, I was I'm forty one. Like like I said, he's the way the things that he talks about like so reminiscent. So if you're in my age range, I think you'll find true delight in them as you shake your head. So that is my boost. You know. Sometimes I like give them shouts to Instagram and accounts that, you know, bring a little joy, you know.
Speaker 1: To anyone who's followed by the budget needs to request love and Tiffany mais okay.
Speaker 3: Oh they followed. Yeah, so I didn't know that, but like yeah, and I really yeah, he's just when I say hilarious, you watch and you are just a giggling like, oh my gosh. And usually about like maybe like three or four minutes, maybe five minutes, I don't even know, but they're just really really well done, funny, yeah, just hilarious. So I just encourage you if you're just looking for like a little space away. He has serious stuff on there, you know, which is great, you know, indulge, but you know, if you need a little breakaway, I suggest you do. You go ahead and do all that, and if you have not already, head to your local brown Brownson Noble.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine, I know.
Speaker 3: To your local Barns And oh this is what I remember my real boost. I just wanted to give a boost to doctor Green, just like the breakthroughs I've been having and I'll share them. Like like, it was a really good lesson that I learned in our last session, and I want to share it with you guys. You know how I like to share because I think it's gonna be so helpful for someone. That's what my boost was. But so i'll share it, you know, you know, next week. But just like I just see and feel the growth she gave me, like a standing ovation, I mean via zoom because I shared with her something that I did and she was like, just a minute ago, you was afraid to do this small thing. Now look at you over here doing big things, Tiffany. And so I've just been growing so much and just like just the power of asking for help, whether it's therapy or coaching or in between. And like I said, I can't wait to share the lesson because it was so profound for me and I know that someone's gonna get great value from it. So I'm going to make myself a nope so my brain does not forget again. But yeah, that's that's it for me.
Speaker 2: I loves it.
Speaker 1: And Mental Health Awareness Month is coming up.
Speaker 3: I feel it.
Speaker 2: We need to make that a moment. Okay, Well, congrats tive.
Speaker 1: This is You're only gonna get your book launch, your first book launch, major published book launch week once, I think, right, So I hope you find some time to enjoy it, even though I know you're working so so hard this week. Just let me know if you need me to hype you know where you want me to show up with the confetti, the champagne that i'll drink myself we need. I'm so so proud of you the same, amazing so much.
Speaker 3: Go to keigos money dot com money.
Speaker 1: Okay, what a fun throwback. If y'all haven't gotten your copy of Get It with Money? Like what and how? Okay, no judgment, but police run and go buy it. But I mean it has been sold hundreds of thousands of times. Tiffany's book is such a corner so in a financial goodness. I love that I get to brag on her when she's not here, because y'all know I will always stand for my girl. And don't forget Brian ambition. We are on three times a week now Monday, Wednesday and Friday wherever you get your podcasts. We'll see you next time. Ba fam