Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of the show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 1: Good morning, everybody, Happy Monday. We have an amazing show for everybody today. What do we have, Crystal, we do soccer. Welcome back with thank you. I appreciate it. Had an amazing trip. Love Japan.
Speaker 3: Ohi ghos imas as they say in Japan in terms of good morning. Very difficult language and incredible country. For everybody out there, if you have the opportunity, please do, especially if you live in California. It's the same flight time to Europe. What are you doing? Why are you find a Paris?
Speaker 1: Are London? Go to Tokyo, same flight time.
Speaker 4: I would love to go to Tokyo.
Speaker 1: It is hands down my favorite country I've ever visited it.
Speaker 3: I think'm gonna do a monologue tomorrow about everything that they do correctly and everything that we do wrong.
Speaker 4: And you saw some pressures and I love you, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you Arigato.
Speaker 3: So yeah, really showing off my conversational Japanese that I was able to pick up.
Speaker 1: But no, it was.
Speaker 3: It is one of the most stunningly beautiful countries I have ever visited. Unique culture, cuisine, history sites, everything about them. I love the way that they live life. So thank you Japan. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Well we missed you while you were gone. I'm glad you got it wonderful as well.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, there's a lot to talk about this morning. So we got the news last night Hunter Biden is going to be pardoned by his father. That has sparked quite a lot of conversation here in DC, so we'll get into all of that. We've also got some new updates for you with regard to people that Trump is putting in positions of power. Cash Betel at the FBI in particular has been quite noteworthy, so we'll tell you what you need to know about that. He has also issued a new raft of tariff threats, this time against a so called bricks country, so that one is quite significant. We also have a bunch of foreign policy news for Zelensky seeming to float for the first time, potentially potentially seating territory in order to end that war. We have Syrian rebels coming out of nowhere to take.
Speaker 1: Back a Lepo.
Speaker 2: As you know, multiple powers are distracted, whether in Ukraine or with regard to Israel and Gaza. So we'll break that down for incredibly significant development there. Mark and Dreesen sparked quite a controversy about dbanking when he went on Joe Rogan. Our own Matt Stoler is in the mix with that whole debate, so he's going to join us to break all of that down. And I am taking a look at MSNBC's continuing war on Bernie Sanders and their pernicious influence in the Democratic Party in general.
Speaker 1: That's always face, that seems to be a never ending discussion.
Speaker 4: That's an evergreen conversation.
Speaker 3: Thank you, by the way, to all of our premium subscribers, We have a fun ask of everybody today. So what is going to happen is that tomorrow Chris will be doing a sit down with Pots and Save America's John Favreau about the conversation about the future of the Democratic Party, especially in the aftermath of that incredible interview that they had.
Speaker 1: Even I had to take time on my vacation.
Speaker 4: You watched it.
Speaker 1: I mean it was I was.
Speaker 3: Up in the middle of the night and I was like, well, you know, you got to check in every once in a while, and I was stunned. It was an incredible just you got to put it in a history museum, honestly, for one of the worst campaigns in modern American history.
Speaker 1: But Chris will be speaking with John Favreau about that.
Speaker 3: So for our premium subscribers, we are going to ask John some of the questions that you guys come up with, so on locals, we're going to make a post and you can ask.
Speaker 1: Some suggested questions. So that's to all of our premium describers.
Speaker 3: It will also drop early for those as well, so Breakingpoints dot com if you want to take advantage, it's going to be a really interesting conversation and you know, hopefully we'll make some news and it'll get some virality and all that whenever it is released publicly. So thank you guys so much for supporting our show making things like that possible. If you want to participate in that interview Breakingpoints dot com, you can sign up.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm really looking forward to that conversation because I think podsafe has been very influential with liberals in helping them understand the world around them and what to do next. I think they will probably continue to be very significant in that space, so I really want to understand what you know, Favreau is taking away from some of these conversations that they're hosting on the platform.
Speaker 4: So definitely looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: And if you're not able to become a premium subscriber, if it's too much money for you, totally get it, no worries. If you could help us out just by liking and sharing our videos on YouTube. That also is a tremendous benefit to the show At a time when I think a lot of people are adjusting their news consumption habits, we would love to be part of everybody's message diet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ed, thank you, you're absolutely right. Not even on that.
Speaker 3: Even sending the podcast episode, we one of our episodes in the last several weeks went extraordinarily viral. I'm talking like four or five hundred percent more downloads than no idea why we have no idea what all week. In surmise from looking at it is that it's because so many of you guys shared the podcast, literally just by texting it. So if you do that, thank you seriously, five star review all of that. I mean, I know it sounds trite, but honestly, word of mouth is the greatest marketing you can ever get.
Speaker 4: It's about it.
Speaker 1: It's incredible to see it, and action in the numbers and all that.
Speaker 3: So just thank you to everybody for spreading the good word. Let's go ahead then and start though with what Crystal tased shocked.
Speaker 1: The world last night.
Speaker 3: Wasn't so shocking President Biden issuing a pardon for his son Hunter. Let's go ahead and put this up there on the screen. Honestly, you should put this one in a museum. Statement from President Biden today, I signed a parton for my son Hunter. From the day I took office, I said I would not interfere with the Justice Department's decision making. I kept my word even as I watched my son being selectively and unfairly prosecuted without aggravating factors like use in a crime multiple purchases are buying a weapon of the straw purchaser. People are almost never bought to trial on felony charges solely for how they filled out a gun form. As he continues, the charges in his case came about only after several of my political opponents in Congress instigated them to attack me. Then a carefully negotiated plea deal agreed to by the Department of Justice, unraveled in the courtroom, with a number of my opponents in Congress taking credit for bringing political pressure on the process. Let's go to the next slide, please, because this is the perfect one. No reasonable person who looks at the facts of Hunter's case can reach any conclusion other than Hunter was singled out only because he is my son, and that is wrong. There have been an effort to break Hunter, who has been five and a half years sober, even in the face of unlimiting and tax and selective prosecution. In trying to break Hunter, they have tried to break me. And there's no reason to believe it will stop here, and that is enough. For my entire career. I have followed a simple principle. Just tell the American people the truth. They will be fair minded. Here's the truth. I believe in the justice system, but as I have wrestled with this, I also believe raw politics has infected this process and it led to a miscarriage of justice. You could almost take that straight out of a Donald Trump press release, couldn't you. And it also flies a little bit in the face of some past comments from the White House. White House spokesperson Karine Jean Pierre said on multiple occasions the President will never issue a pardon for Hunter Biden, and Biden himself saying on tape on multiple instances that he would not do.
Speaker 1: So, let's take a listen.
Speaker 2: First briefing, since Hunter was indicted again in Los Angeles, why does in prisonent five would just pardon him?
Speaker 1: President?
Speaker 4: I've been very clear, the President's not going to partner.
Speaker 5: As we sit here in Normandy, your son Hunter is on trial, and I know that you cannot speak about an ongoing federal prosecution, but let me ask you. Will you accept the jury's outcome their verdict?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Matter what it is. Yes, And have you ruled out a pardon for your son?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, So here's here's the it's ruled back. Here's the thing about it.
Speaker 3: If he had just said I'm doing this because I can, and if we're honest, any parent would do the same thing. I'd be like, yeah, all right, I mean, let's let's be real.
Speaker 1: Would I do it too? Absolutely most people would.
Speaker 3: But the preening the states that, you know, there's viral tweets going around John Harwood being like, people cannot conceive of what it is like that president who is so morally righteous and puts the law above his own personal interests, and then to reverse and it just turns out you're like everybody else when you use power to further your own personal lends.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 3: Fine, you know, the idea of president's pardon is already an insane thing. Why it's exactly in the Constitution basically has to do with monarchical traditions of the early seventeen hundreds. It's an insane tradition in the late in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Abused by basically every abused by every president literally ever, I mean Bill Clinton partnering Roger.
Speaker 1: Carter and his brother. I could go on forever.
Speaker 3: Okay, in terms, look at the number of insane pardons that Trump put through in just in the modern area, even George W.
Speaker 1: Bush Obama, I mean going for.
Speaker 3: The point is that every president has abused it. Every president enjoys doling out political favors and all of that. So fine, whatever, Biden, You're just like abody else. But he literally said that the whole his role raised on TETRA was that he is not Donald Trump, is that he respects the rule of lies, that he will respect the jury's decision. So the little juxtaposition there, especially in light of what is very obviously to come with Donald Trump, it just makes it seem a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's just I'll just put it this way.
Speaker 3: Now, the Democrats are in a tough vind because they made this whole rule of law Trump is. It's ridiculous miscarriage of justice, et cetera. So when Trump comes in, he's going to pardon all these January sixth people and all these other folks politically who are beneficial to him or who he's decided. What are they going to say? It's like, you're full of shit and you always were so that's fine. I actually appreciate the nakedness.
Speaker 1: Of all of it. But I'm sure this is a moral crisis.
Speaker 3: For the New York Times reader and for a few others, they're like, wait, that's not who you told.
Speaker 6: Me it was.
Speaker 2: And see, that's that's the part that very hard for me sometimes to wrap my head around DC morals, because I do see a lot of liberals who are shocked and appalled by this Biden decision. And I mean, I don't think people I don't think he should have lied to the American people about this. Like I'm not saying that's a good thing that he did that, but I've watched this man facilitate a genocide for a year, like pardoning his son for some low level, probably bullshit charges that I think he's probably right. If its name wasn't Hunter, Biden would have been pursued. I'm just to me, does not rise nearly to the level of outrage of many other things that this man has done. So that's part of what often confuses me about some of the DC brained morality. And then you know, the other piece of this is I do think it's kind of an acknowledgment in a sense of the era that we now live in because Democrats did just run a whole election that, especially towards the end of a Kamma campaign, was all about the norms. Yeah, it's all about them, and voters were like, yeah, we don't really care. Like Trump is himself a convicted criminal. He's going to get out of a bunch of his other charges because you know, now he's send it to the presidency. He used the pardon powers in utterly grotesque ways, including pardoning Charles Kushner, who was convicted not only have tax fraud but also and this man is now about to be ambassador to France as well, by the way, was also convicted of setting up his own brother in law, who was participating in the tax evasion, like with the federal government, was cooperating with them, so set him up with the prostitute, recorded it, sent the resulting footage to his own sister in order to like intimidate these people.
Speaker 4: That guy got a pardon from Trump, and the American.
Speaker 1: People were like, yeah, cool's exactly.
Speaker 2: So I can't really be mad at Biden for being like, Okay, that's the country we live in.
Speaker 4: Apparently I'm certainly.
Speaker 2: Not going to send like my son to the slaughter in defense of some norms that have just been thoroughly rejected by the American pulper.
Speaker 4: I think that's kind of how I feel.
Speaker 3: I think it's a fair point, and but my point is more about Biden. It's just like, dude, like that literally was your whole cause I was elected to stop Trump, I am, but he failed physical embodiment being anti Trump and so.
Speaker 4: And not the old project. Completely totally fair as.
Speaker 3: Look, I agree with you, and again, if he had been honest about it, I think it would have been fine. But it's just hilarious to watch in just a one month span, literally one month ago, we were having the norms election and the no one is above the law, and you know, even to besmirch the Department of Justice, my god, to imply the you know, politically motivated prosecution that is.
Speaker 1: A Donald Trump talking point.
Speaker 3: And now all of a sudden they're like, yeah, no reasonable person can look at this. So it's just like okay, and you know, in a sense, it does just return things to normal where everybody most Americans are very clear eyed, as I think they were with a lot of the norms. They're like this is bullshit, doesn't have any impact on my life. You guys are now talking about the things that I actually care about, and so the presidents are just gonna be like, Okay, I'm just gonna do whatever I want to do, and I could probably get away with it, which obviously, you know, especially Biden news basically on his way out forever, it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah he didn't care, Yeah, hat didn't care.
Speaker 4: But it's just it's not going to be here to view the wreckage.
Speaker 3: I think it is to me with Biden, it just highlights the clear image of who he always was to people like us, but to Washington could never accept his decision to not step down from the presidency much earlier in allow a primary is one of the most selfish decisions for a party level.
Speaker 1: In modern American history.
Speaker 3: He is a villain if we look at his foreign policy, if we look at his sole purpose was to defeat Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: It didn't work.
Speaker 3: He decided to appoin Kamala Harris. He didn't back up primary, and even though he personally knew and probably thought she would never win, he did it. Anyways, every single decision he's ever made has been selfish. That's that his entire record. So if you were watching this show, no, this wouldn't surprise you. But I think again, you know, for the New York Times, liberals, for the congressman, for the people, some of these people they believed it right, and they voted for him per se for exactly why, especially back in twenty twenty, and it's like, oh, dude, you're just like everybody else. So anyway, welcome to Washington. Yeah, exactly the same as it always was.
Speaker 2: I remember all the you know, glowing statements about what a hero when.
Speaker 1: We were then nauseated.
Speaker 3: It's the greatest American who's ever lived, Abraham Lincoln apparently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that'sn't really how they portrayed him, and it was it was so dissonant to look at the actions that he's you know, actually taken, and I think, to me, Gaza is like the most clear cut horror that he has been not only complicit in, but I think at this point we have to say, like, you know, he's let it all hang out more than ever that like, no, this is actually the policy that I really wanted to pursue, and all of the feints in the other direction of oh, I really want to cease fire that was actually the political manipulation. But in any case, so, I you know, I think we've been very clear eyed on the show about who's who he really is. And I do think that after the Kamala Harris campaign failure, I think among a lot of liberals there has already been a reassessment of the character of this man because you can't help but you know, place a lot of blame at his feet. He indicated that he would be a one term president. You know, he never came out and outright said it. I'll give him that, but he really led people to believe that he would be handing the torch to the next generation. And then once he got in there, out of selfishness and narcissism and arrogance and a lot of people, yes men around.
Speaker 4: Him, etc.
Speaker 2: He decides, no, I want to hang on to power blocks the Democratic primary, you know, stays in as long as he possibly can and does end up hobbling Democrats and sort of and then you know, to add insult to injury, locked them into Kamala Harris as the choice. His endorsement of Kamala Harris really sort of forced her on the party and mids so there was no other option, and we all knew kind of the weaknesses of her as a candidate going in. So you know, he is right up there towards the top of the list if you want to look at you know, who is most responsible for failing to end the Trump era. So, you know, I thought Dave Weigel made an interesting point over on Twitter. He said, Yep, Biden, wanting to uphold the norms, agreed to keep on a trumpetpointed, prosecutor is probing his son, create a special counsel to probe zone post VP document retention kept on Durham so you can finish the Trump order prob of twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: What did he get? Nothing? So here he goes.
Speaker 2: And I do think that sort of gets to my sense that this is this is there that we're in now, and it's like, okay, you know, Democrats apparently embracing that as well.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I guess it was all ie this entire time. Cool, really enjoy I mean, look, it's always been that way.
Speaker 1: In a sense.
Speaker 3: Again, it's actually very gratifying to be like, finally people can just see it, you know, the people who've been shoving this down. Oh, he's such a hero. He's above the law. He's the most moral man who's ever lived. He's Abraham Lincoln reincarnate, such an amazing person. It's like, no, he's just like everybody else. He's a you know, a politically ego, maniacal narcissist who cares more about himself and his own family that he does about the United States. And in a certain sense, that's always been the case with most of these presidents, will continue to be the case, and that's just how it is. So you know, in a way, thank you Joe Biden for just showing us the truth and for that so much of this was bs the entire time. Let's move on to Donald Trump. As you said, a very consequential appointment. Man, I was really sad to miss the Matt Gates dropout. I will say that was what a whiplash, you know that that happened. Just woke up one day and I was like, wow, it's already over, that was it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was kind of surprised that I didn't fight more for it.
Speaker 3: I was too especially Yeah, I don't know, we can talk about it a bit. It probably had to do with the ethics thing.
Speaker 5: And all of that.
Speaker 3: Whatever, Let's put this up there on the screen. Arguably the most consequential appointment and one that he's made since Gates. In this regard, Donald Trump says, I am proud to announce that Cash Patel will serve as the next Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Cash is a brilliant lawyer, investigator, America first fighter. Spent his career exposing corruption, justice and protecting the American people. Cash Betel is a very interesting figure. He's been around Washington now since the beginning days of Donald Trump's kind of flitted around. I think as is acting Deputy Director of National Intelligence. I remember him in the White House. He took a big role in the early days of the Trump admin from what I remember in the declassification drive before eventually leaving the White House. Since an, he's kind of become a MAGA star online podcast appearing on Steve Bannon as well. He runs his own kind of media empire. I guess you could call it. We'll get to some of the things that he's selling in a bit, but he has this Something is nice with the podcast election because so many of these people have now been on podcasts They've just spoken for hours about the type of things that they want to do. So he's given us a little bit of a preview. Let's take a listen.
Speaker 6: The FBI's footprint has gotten so frickin' big, and the biggest problem the FBI has had has come out of its intel shops. I'd break that component out of it. I'd shut down the FBI Hoover Building on day one and reopening the next day as a museum of the Deep State. And I'd take the seven thousand employees that work in that building and send them across America to chase down criminals.
Speaker 1: Go be cops.
Speaker 6: Your cops, go be cops. Go chase down murderers and drug dealers and violent offenders. What do you need seven thousand people there for? Same thing with de Ojenny. What are all these people doing here? Looking for the next government promotion, looking for their next fancy government title, looking for their parachute out of government. So while you're bringing in the right people, you also have to shrink. We need a twenty four to seven declassification office, roll in papers out twenty four to seven, and not just like tick Orta, and not just nine to eleven and you're talking to the guy that's read the whole nine eleven report and those seven pages of people talk about But I believe, as like the guy who is an intel guy who believes wholeheartedly in the classified system of information, I believe that it has been over abused by these corrupt officials in government to hide the truth and the and enact more corrupt activities. We will follow the facts and the law and go to courts of law and correct these justices and lawyers who have been prosecuting these cases based on pololitics and actually issue doing them as lawfare.
Speaker 5: We will go.
Speaker 6: Out and find the conspirators, not just in government, but in the media. Yes, we're going to come after the people in the media who lied about American citizens, who helped Joe Biden rig presidential elections. We're going to come after you. Whether it's criminal or civilly, we'll figure that out.
Speaker 1: So there you go. He's also been selling books. Let's put this on the screen.
Speaker 3: He's got a children's book currently out, The Plot against the King, written by Cash Patel, which details the actions against Donald Trump. I mean, look, let's not sugarcoated. Cash is a loyalist. That's that's pretty much.
Speaker 1: What he is. Yeah, and I think that's whatever.
Speaker 3: It's fine, I guess, especially in the context of what we just talked about with Hunter Biden, he will face some difficulty in confirmation. So, just to explain the FBI directors their term is actually basically Chris ray is set to serve three more years after his confirmation. What would have to happen Donald Trump A course, as the President has the prerogative to fire Christopher Ray as as the director of the FBI. This indicates that he will on day one and then put forward Cash Bettel as the nominee. Now, whether his confirmation goes through is a very open question, but at the very least he would have the ability to serve as the acting director of the FBI for two hundred and ten days after his appointment.
Speaker 1: It's a possible that.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, it's certainly possible to get confirmed, right, he actually could get fifty some senators. I personally think it will be as difficult as the Matt Gates and the RFK junior ones, just because of this certain makeup of the Justice the Oversight Committee in the Senate and people like Lisa Murkowski, Susan Collins, people like John Cornyn as well, who as a senior position in that. But if Trump wants it to happen, it's very possible that it could happen. I mean, it seems likely right now that Bobby Kennedy and Pete Hesath are going to make their way through. They seem to have the votes from the people that I've spoken to. And the one of the reasons that Matt Gates dropped out is he was the He was the one person where even after JD took him to the Senate and they had all the meetings, they were like, it's not going to happen. So, Kasha, it certainly looks possible. He would, I believe, be one of the first directors of the FBI to not actually have previously served as an agent, where all previous ones had had a long career in the bureau. But to be honest, I view, I mean, you know, last time I was here, what I kept saying is I think people should get what they voted for, and should get and actually get to see what actual trump Ism in practice looks like. It's about blowing shit up, and that's what Cash Betel is, So I say, confirm him let's see it. I mean, he wants to blow up the FBI, declassify all this stuff. He genuinely is I think it's fair to say, like an actual enemy of at least you know, quote unquote the deep state, et cetera. He's for, you know, d classic case and transparency.
Speaker 1: I'd say, great. You as a member of the media, I think it'll be fantastic. So I hope that's confirmed. I'd like to see it.
Speaker 2: So Ken Klippenstein, our friend wrote a report about he read Cash's book and watch a bunch of his appearances and whatever, and what he points out is while the language is very sort of adversarial to the deep state, even in that clip that we played where he's like, take the seven thousand people here, and it's not fire though or firesome portion of them. It's send them about the country, so keep it in place, just not in DC. And what he gleaned from his book was that, you know, and this won't be a surprise to anyone, he doesn't actually want to blow up the deep state. He wants to weaponize it against Trump's adversaries, which is part of what he talks about there. I mean, I think this is a pick that says yes, all of the things that I said about retribution. I mean, and this is going to be one of my weapons in the arsenal for fulfilling that campaign pledge. So I think people should be clear eyed about you know, it's not like this is going to be some wholesale FBI reform. It's just instead of, you know, an FBI already does plenty of surveillance of like you know, and like pro Palestine protesters and lots of lefties already. But I'm going to make sure that the FBI is a consistent weapon against Donald Trump's adversaries. I think that would be the goal of Cash Matel. Now whether he's even able to fully achieve that goals another question because he doesn't know his way around this agency.
Speaker 1: As you point out this, these people have a career.
Speaker 3: I mean, the FBI as an institution's entire career is built on insulating itself right from political pressure, going back to the days of Jay Edgar Hoover. And you know, for somebody like Cash Betel and others, they're going to fight with everything they possibly have against you. So he's got his work cut out. I mean, I want to say, for what you said, though, yeah, I think it's viewed a little bit differently. For what he said, it seems to be the correct thing. Why are we not spending more resources on, like what prosecuting murderers.
Speaker 1: I mean, the Larry Naser case.
Speaker 4: Is the perfect problem with that.
Speaker 1: I've then a problem with that.
Speaker 4: But I don't think that we should like be uh.
Speaker 2: I think it's quite clear that the direction he wants to take the FBI in is not like to dismantle the agency in some way that like a leftist would want. He wants to use it in an aggressive way, but against Trump's adversaries and leftists. And you know, I fully expect surveillance of like you know, social justice organizers or pro Palestinian protesters or whatever to continue what pace.
Speaker 4: So that's that's my.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough, But I mean Republicans won the election, so they get to govern the way that they want, right, I mean, that's it's not going to be a leftist fantasy, anybody ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I just think there's a lot of misleading talk about how he's just against the deep state, I see, and that is not accurate. No, No, I'm trying to give an accurate interpretation of what his goals could be in that is he.
Speaker 3: Going to be the person who's going to stop you know, surveilling policy and activists. No, okay, Like Republicans won the election like they have, and they have the ability to govern, and they're going to do what they said that they're going to do. I think the best case actually would be the decentralization of the agency.
Speaker 1: Also, by the way, this is a very intra.
Speaker 3: DMV beef, but the Biden administration illegally shunt shafted Virginia out of FBI headquarters and sent it over to Maryland. So I hope that he reverses that and he can give it to the state of Virginia. This is a big economic development thing, which is it's an interesting DMV beef, but actually billions of dollars are at stake. The interesting thing too behind it is around what he was talking about with the Hoover building and headquarters with the FBI, the question about why there are all these bureaucrats here. There's actually been a long standing kind of question inside the agency. One of the things that he is correct about is that post nine eleven and post Patriot Act, the FBI the counterintelligence, and they're fusing with the CIA and other of the National Intelligence Bureau has effectively turned it from a law enforcement organization into an international surveillance organization on US citizens. Now, even if you don't believe in, you know, like making sure that what you like you said for dismantling the deep state or whatever, simply decentralizing and getting all of those people out of Washington would itself be a major net benefit, because again, the centralization of power here in Washington is basically created all of these arms of the Bureau, which did not even exist since two thousand and one prior. The other thing that really annoys me are all of these MSNBC preming legal anthrowers that you can't inject politics into the FBI.
Speaker 1: I'm like, does anyone want to know the history of the FBI? Shut up? All right?
Speaker 3: And first of all, they're the ones who made themselves quote uno quote political in twenty sixteen with Russia Gates. So it's like, you can't you can't have it both ways. There are consequences to elections, especially one in which you had a president who's like basically ally completely against you know, this very quote unquote law fare et cetera, which is based upon him. Will it be quote unquote leftist principle?
Speaker 1: No, it won't. No, Donald Trump, he won the election, right, But.
Speaker 2: The Republican's posture like, we want to depoliticize this agency. They don't want to depoliticize them, but you shay want to politics.
Speaker 1: Of course you couldn't.
Speaker 4: I mean, ideally, yes, you would, but.
Speaker 1: Read in American history.
Speaker 2: But the ideal would be that you're not spying on American citizens and infiltrating and doing like co Intel pro quite bullshit against American citizens.
Speaker 4: Okay, that would be the ideal.
Speaker 2: And Republican's posture like that's the direction that they would like to go, and that they would like to make the agency neutral, that they would like to depoliticize it, and that is a lie. They want to politicize it on behalf of Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: That's the plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's fair. Again, they won.
Speaker 3: He's he talked this way pretty openly about what he wanted, and people seem to be totally okay with it.
Speaker 1: Will there be backlash et cetera, We'll see.
Speaker 3: I mean, the real backlash I think will come from the actual agency. I would never underestimate these people, some of the most powerful people in America. They can I mean in terms of the leaking operation, for what they can do and all of that against you, their knowledge of bureaucracy, the law, being able to sue.
Speaker 1: Et cetera.
Speaker 3: Get ready, folks, because actually, if you even try to implement ten percent of this, you will see one of the biggest freak outs in modern like Washington.
Speaker 2: List I think the other people are delusional about is the idea that will get some fulsome accounting of like Epstein, just given the fact that Trump himself has been.
Speaker 4: Like, I don't know about that and multiple times.
Speaker 1: In terms of the dec.
Speaker 2: Declassification, yeah know that, and yes, and I mean Trump was Epstein's best friend for a decade. So I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. Maybe some other declassification. Potentially it will not be a.
Speaker 3: Positive if it's on the UFO. Look JFK alone, I would be happy UFO. I'mistatic Epstein. I mean, it'd be great, but at this point, as you said, there's probably still too many people to actually get.
Speaker 1: It out there.
Speaker 3: It'd be great if we could, though, I mean, listen again, the other fun thing with a twenty four to seven D classification or whatever. Is almost certain that they wouldn't they wouldn't actually be able to do it in their traditional way where they cover up everything, and so we may get some very inadvertent and good details about some things that were happening, which I would love to see.
Speaker 2: So the other thing this will help this transition to the next pieces that we can roll through is Trump is kind of testing the limits of how effective basically like media influencers can be in real positions of power.
Speaker 1: That's a good point because.
Speaker 2: I mean that's effectively what cash fatal is. He's out there selling like children's books and also these weird supplements that he claims falsely can reverse the impact of the COVID vaccine, like Hawk's merchandise, all this sort of stuff. And obviously, as you pointed out, going on all these various podcasts and being really a mag World influencer, Pete Haig Seth obviously Fox News personality similar sort of like MAGA influence Sir RFK Junior kind of a similar deal. Obviously, Matt Gates was kind of a similar deal, even though he was a member of Congress. So there are a number of these picks that you know, their primary credential is like their notoriety or their influence within the magasphere, and how that translates into actually being able to effectuate the changes that they are promising will also be.
Speaker 4: Interesting to work.
Speaker 3: So I'm trying desperately to find what is in a quote unquote novo covideo here. I've got this supplement in fact in front of this is the supplement that he has there. It says chronium, magnesium, selenium, vitamin D and zinc.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean it's not going to hurt you.
Speaker 2: So not assuming that's actually what's in it, because none of these things are actually really regularly by the FDA.
Speaker 3: That we get Bobby on that, right, We got to get Bobby Kennedy on that. All right, let's put the next one up there on the screen. This is wild getting around this one. This is absolutely insane. So a New York Times has obtained an email showing Pegs Pete hag Set's own mother sent him a scathing email in twenty and eighteen calling him quote an abuser of women. I mean, there's no gettinger. This is one of the most insane things I've ever read. If my mom ever said this to me, I don't even know.
Speaker 4: There's no coming back from as a mother.
Speaker 2: I cannot imagine it.
Speaker 1: Is you are an abuser of women. That is the ugly truth.
Speaker 3: I have no respect for any man that belittles, lies, cheets, sleeps around, and uses women for his own power and ego. You are this man and have been for years as your mother. It pains me and embarrasses me to say that, But is the sad sad truth continues on for a while. The mom says she immediately regretted it, and then she no longer stands by it.
Speaker 1: So okay, that's what it is.
Speaker 4: I don't send this out in nowhere.
Speaker 3: I wonder how they got this email. My theory is she probably ces Seed, the ex wife who heg Seth deleted, and I guess the ex wife, then, you know, is leaking this. I guess fairly in terms of in terms of retribution.
Speaker 1: Against Pete hag Seth.
Speaker 3: He's no Bobby say to me, Bobby Kennedy said, I have a lot of skeletons in my closet something along, and you.
Speaker 4: Would say, like I had a rambunctious.
Speaker 1: I had a rambunctious youth. I think we could say.
Speaker 4: An allegation he was like forty six years old or something.
Speaker 1: He's seven year old man forty three.
Speaker 4: So I appreciate that definitely.
Speaker 3: There you go, you are, you're the promise in the Yeah, we could forgive everybody or indiscretion. So there it goes. Now in terms of its overall effect for everyone I've spoken to, and I just checked in yesterday, I think Pete's got the votes. From what I can tell, he's got at the very least, he's got a majority of the defense Hawks on his side. He has made a lot of the phone calls. He's playing ball, it seems with most people in Washington, and most of the senators seem I feel like Gates, they personally really detested. It wasn't about policy, it was really just personal. Whereas here with you said they don't know him. He's I mean on a personal level. You know, they may not like him or anything but the vendatta's of course, of course, look exit you.
Speaker 1: Know THE'SE got.
Speaker 3: You don't become a TV star and you know, nationally famous maga icon from nothing. You got to be at least somewhat good at this. So I think he's probably got it going. I also think what Ruddy really has on his side right now is this gets to the Cash thing, that there is something really interesting about the fact that these people, I mean just even in the Shawn Ryan Show, how many of these nominees for Immense Power have appeared on the Sean Ryan Show in the last what twelve months. That's kind of astonishing if you if you think about it, they had laid out very clearly their view. They actually have genuine like democratic constituencies, which is really interesting to me because it's very rare to have people who are like FBI director or even Secretary of Defense. I mean, you know Mark Asper, Secretary Defense. Does Mark Asper have a fan club you know in Spokane, Washington. No, But Pete Hexath he actually does. Like millions of people love Pete x Seth. They you know, his book was number one in the whole country. Cash Pattel is a MAGA star. If you are a Maga mema who is out there you know who Cash Betel is.
Speaker 1: Those are people who are buying his books and his T shirts and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: So it is fascinating to me to watch these people become and actually see what it will look like in power.
Speaker 1: Whether it'll work out, I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I mean, in general, the biggest problem that these people always outsiders always face this when they come into Washington, and Washington is a machine. It knows exactly how to deal with outsiders. It's like, oh, you wrote a book, that's cute. You know I'm going to fuck you sideways because I know exactly, you know where all the bodies are buried, et cetera.
Speaker 1: I can drag this shit out as long as possible.
Speaker 3: That's why, in general, a little bit of experience and also being an outsider, those two things are the things that really can make you successful. But you know, I don't want to speak too soon. It's still certainly possible, is something you have.
Speaker 2: I think the other question with Pete Hegseath is if there's any other shoes to drop, you know, it's obviously these allegations emerged against him, claiming that he raped a woman at this like Republican conference, and then it further emerged that he had paid her off something. Reportedly, the Trump people were pissed off at him, not that like the allegations existed, but that he wasn't upfront with him about all of that, and especially the payoff details, which you know obviously like no admission of guilt, but it doesn't look that great then, you know, I don't think the mom email is probably gonna be a game changer, but also doesn't look great or speak like to your character if your mother is writing things like this about you. So I think that's one of the questions is if there's potentially another shoe to drop with Pete tag Seth in terms of his confirmation. Another one that is interesting, which speaks to some of the potential policy direction of the Trump administration, which really does have a lot of contradictions within it. At this point, can put this up on the screen. We've got the AG secretary nominee, and this is a bit of a rebuke to RFK Junior. Effectively, the person that Trump has picked here, Brooke Rawlins. She's considered to be more sort of like corporate friendly. I'll at Sager speak to the specifics of her. But RFK Junior, they write in this piece, had spent weeks lobbying Donald Trump to nominate and AGS secretary who be his ally in a war with the sugar, soybean, corn and other farm commodity interests, he argues are poisoning Americans. He meticulously vetted and put forward his own list of candidates, but Trump went in a different direction, making a wild card pick a former White House aid with little formal experience and ad policy, no record on public health concerns driving countities agenda. That choice would be Brooke Rollins, who co founded the Trumpelne think tank America First Policy Institute. And so you know, she's seen as being much more likely to be attuned to the concerns of industry. And this is very significant because if you actually want to I mean, first of all, if you actually want to pull the subsidies from like the corn.
Speaker 4: Lobby, good luck.
Speaker 2: Incredibly powerful interest here in Washington, and you know, very important in a lot of farm states, including places like Iowa. And it's the reason the fact that we subsidize corn so much is part of the reason why you have you know, high fructose corn syrup all of our foods, et cetera, et cetera. Why if you go in the grocery store at the centerisles are just basically like recombinations of corn. So having someone in this slot who was not aligned with what RFK Junior wants to see is a quite significant development in terms of his goals with Maha.
Speaker 3: As I have been trying to tell people, it's a coalition. And if you think that, you be you know RFK Junior's let's I think he is responsible for Trump becunn president.
Speaker 1: I will say that.
Speaker 3: So he's got a lot of power and he got himself hhs. That's a big deal. But let's be honest, it's a big tent, right. And Brooke Rollins is the former Rick Perry staffer. She created America First policy. People will remember us talking about her before the election because I said she was a potential in the running for chief of staff.
Speaker 1: She's a very powerful woman here in DC.
Speaker 3: She's played her cards perfectly in terms of getting a lot of corporate money Larry Cudlow and all these other people behind her organization, and she was going to get something. In fact, I'm surprised that she got something as a quote unquote low as agriculture. But as you said, agriculture, especially for what RFK wants to do, is very very important from the USDA. But the other thing that many people don't understand is that the SNAP program, otherwise known as food stamps is under the purview of the Farm bill, it's actually attached to the farm bill. A major MAHA priority is to not allow snap EBT dollars to be applied to junk food things like Coca cola, cereal, et cetera. This is something I've seen you know, Cali Means and others in the MAHA movement talk about.
Speaker 1: I actually think it's totally reasonable.
Speaker 3: But the point is that you will need the cooperation of the Agricultural Secretary in negotiating the Farm bill if you want some policy like that to happen. Now, you know that will have I mean, one of the most titanic lobbying campaigns in American history if that actually ever.
Speaker 1: You guys did a segment about this.
Speaker 3: I think about how all of these food companies are just about to pump billions into propaganda for Oh, here's why it's very important that we use food stamps to buy seven to eleven pizza, you know, and Coca cola or something like that. That is going to be insane, especially and you know, look, there's also going to be an organic pushback. I mean, remember, you know, Mike Bloomberg tried some of this stuff and people didn't like it. There's a very libertarian streak. If you drink a lot of coke and you know one day you can and you can use your food stamps to buy it, and one day it gets taken away, it might make people angry.
Speaker 1: It'd be interesting to see.
Speaker 3: And on top of the all of the dollars that we spent on the lobbying campaign, this is very, very consequential.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think, to be honest with you, the if what you care is the you know, food supply, I think you have a lot more power as AG secretary than you do as HHS secretary because so much of the food dollars and the farm policy, I mean that all runs through AG secretary, So it definitely curtails what that what the MAHA goals are going to be, what they're going to be able to do.
Speaker 3: It'll just look it will be as I thought it would be. There will be very This is not coherence. If anybody's looking for that, you went, you are for with the wrong people. This will be the same as.
Speaker 1: It was last time.
Speaker 3: There are internal constituencies now, don't get me wrong, they have a lot more power the time.
Speaker 1: Let's be honest.
Speaker 3: You know, you have a lot more power if you're you have a chance at getting you know, some of what you want. But this is government, and especially in a Republican party the way that it's currently constituted, where big corporations and RFK Junior have to subsist in the same administration with the same lobbying powers, under the same umbrella. It will be Washington and its finest in terms of what can actually happen and what can And this is an indication that this is reality. People who have immense influenced billionaire backers and others, they're not going to go silently into the good night. They know how to work the system. And so that's what will happen. Again, let's go to the next part. This is equally hilarious in the context of the pardon discussion. Trump has now appointed Charles Kushner, Jared's father, will be the US ambassador to France. The good news for US is that the US Ambassador of France is a meaningless position. It's basically you get to be a playboy and you get to hang out and throw great parties abroad. They're usually reserved for billionaire donors. So in a certain sense, is a change from the status quo.
Speaker 4: Charles Kushner nepotism instead of.
Speaker 3: It's nepotism instead of bills oligarchy.
Speaker 1: So you know, it's a nice little throwback.
Speaker 2: Well, and I said this in the last segment, just to remind Charles Kushner was the recipient of a Trump pardon in the first term. What did he do, you asked, Well, first of all, tax fraud. Second of all, he set up his own brother in law, who was participating in the tax investigation with a prostitute, recorded that interaction, sent it to his sister to use as like blackmail and to intimidate them out of cooperating with the Feds. That's what he was found guilty of and was pardoned for. And now he is ambassador to France.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there there you go, all right, and we got one war I say.
Speaker 3: He said, he's like one of the most venal character Christie went after.
Speaker 4: He's the one who prosecuted him.
Speaker 2: And that's why Jared Kushner always had a vendetta against Chris Christie. When we go back to like twenty sixteen, after Trump wins and Chris Christy, he's supposed to be involved in the transition. Kushner ices him out. Anyway, that's who Charles Kushner is. And then we have a little more nepotisity for you. We put this one up on the screen. So this is Tiffany Trump's father in law. So the father of Tiffany Trump's husband is Masad Bulus is going to serve as senior advisor to the president on Arab and Middle Eastern affairs. He's an accomplished lawyer, highly respected leader, blah blah blah. As far as I could tell, we don't know a lot about what his actual like ideology is.
Speaker 4: He's with respect in Middle East.
Speaker 2: There was some reporting that he had sought a position in the Lebanese parliament at some point in two thousand and nine, but then he disputes that. So anyway, we'll see what we get with him. But you know, in fairness, it can't be worse than the advisors that Biden has had when it comes to right.
Speaker 3: In a certain sense, Trump is returning to the monarchical traditions of the American presidency. You appoint your family members as a part of the imperial family, to be your ambassadors. When I was Japan, I started, I was reading a lot of books on Japan. Actually reminds me a little bit of all of that.
Speaker 1: So anyway, there you go.
Speaker 3: It's things certainly are the same here in Washington, aren't they. At the same time, there's been a major effect in tariff policy. Let's go ahead and put this up there on the screen. Arguably the most consequential tariff argument that Donald Trump has made since he won the election. Trump is threatening one hundred percent tariffs on the bricks nation Brazil, bricks nations, the Brazil, India, China, and South Africa. It's a term that was coined by Goldn Sachs and the mid two thousands.
Speaker 1: It's not really all that useful.
Speaker 3: Because all of these countries aren't exactly all allies, but it is important.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Russia also is the It's.
Speaker 2: Also expanded and now also ron Saturabi, Uae, Argentina, Egypt, and Ethiopia.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, basically, bricks was a theory that these the quote unquote bricks nations would rise up as global GDP increased and would challenge US hegemony in the global banking system and in trade. So it's not about the bricks itself. It's the ideo, and the idea is basically true. Especially in twenty thirty, fifty percent of global GDP will be in Asia. It will not be in Europe and the United States. So the point is is that there are alternative rising centers of power. Another very important thing within the Bricks framework has been the US insane sanctions regime on Russia, which obviously number one has not worked and has basically created an alternative global financial system which allows the Indians, the Chinese, and the Russians to all transact. I was just reading yesterday about how the Chinese have been deeply studying how the Russian economy has been able to evade Russian sanction or US sanctions, and they're like, oh, this is an very easy playbook. And frankly, I mean, China is ten times more powerful than Russia, so their ability to evade would be even easier than anything we have done. One reason, perhaps the Russian sanctions We're a dumb idea in the first place, But the point being that clearly Donald Trump has a very old old school mercantilist view, especially when it comes to the dollar. He wants a strong dollar, he wants people using transacting upon the dollar and with the bricks. You know, we talked previously there had been an introduction of a resolution about perhaps creating their own bricks currency. That's what this was really aimed against. And especially because it has come on the heels of Trump is currently down in mar A Lago. He's receiving foreign dignitaries to come and to pay homage to the new king, and one of the things that has been mentioned to him obviously is the potential rise of bricks.
Speaker 2: I mean, those are all great points. I think this is basically a gamble that the US still has a level of influence in the world that frankly, I'm not sure that it does, and it could potentially hasten the move towards an alternative you know, reserve currency or competing global reserve currency. Because to your points are and this is kind of a long time coming the US, not just with regard to Russia, but when you look at a cube of Venezuela, any number of other nations around the world, and actually Jeff's Dyne is an incredible, incredible work tracking the ever expanding US sanctions regime, you know, countries. Gotsmartn said, hey, we need to have our own systems in place so that the US cannot just like at will destroy our economy. And so China and Russia in particular have been working to kind of sanctioned proof their economy. And obviously we see with Russia that paid a lot of dividends when the Biden administration decided to really drop the hammer on them. They are now the most sanctioned nation in the entire world. And yet you know, wasn't great for their economy, but they've been able to survive and in some ways even thrive under that incredible sanctions regime. So that was a real thwarting and undermining of US power.
Speaker 4: They kind of called our bluff.
Speaker 2: And China has been working to set up those alternative banking structures so that you know, they've helped to facilitate Russia and these other allied nats to also undercut that sanctions regime. So yeah, this is Trump trying to throw you know, the US is weight around. How much weight do we still have though is kind of an open question here. So that's why this is so incredibly incredibly sing them. And there's always you know, talk about Saudi Arabia floating flirting with you know, undermining the petro dollar and these sorts of things. So you know, it's possible that this threat works. We've already seen justin Trudeau. We're going to get to that in Claudia Shinbau. I'm kind of like talking to him like, oh, well, let's try to work together. Let's try to like, you know, short circuit whatever tariff regime you're thinking of putting on us. So it'd be very interesting to see how these these allied nations respond because they do represent a kind of alternative already power structure within the global systems.
Speaker 1: I don't want to overstate or understated.
Speaker 3: To understate it would say that these are not powerful and you should not consider it. To overstate it would also be like, oh, they're totally independent, bullshit, Okay. Other than Russia, the vast majority of these countries rely all on the United States is their number one trading partner, especially China. I mean, that's why tariffs on China are so effective, because we import the fast majority. They're goods now, though that doesn't mean that they could move to an alternative system.
Speaker 2: But the other thing I would say that that I'm curious your thoughts on this, Like I think that people in other nations are more willing to accept pain in service of a national project.
Speaker 1: Oh than we are.
Speaker 2: Like I think the idea that Americans, you know, I mean, if you look at these nations. Brazil is a significant trading to China obviously massive trading partner. When you add to that Canada and Mexico to top trading partners, and already sanctions are threatened against all of these Like this would definitely in the short term increase prices. We are going to cover probably tomorrow. Retailers are also, just like they did during the COVID supply shocks, et cetera, they're going to use the excuse also to further jack up prices. And I just don't know that the you know, American consumer, like our whole social contract is basically built upon you're going to get low prices. So there's an expectation here that maybe doesn't exist in other places around there.
Speaker 1: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: Definitely, an homogenous, more nationalistic countries, they're much more willing. That said, you know, economic stagnation and issues does not come at no costs. So in Russia, the Putin regime has survived. That said, people in Russia. They're suffering. Let's be honest. I mean, look, you know, if their economy has been able to survive, but basically it's a wartime nation. Everybody relies on the state. Inflation, you know, is totally out of control. They've lost a lot of connections to the what I don't think average daily life in Moscow has gotten better as a result of the war in Ukraine. So it's possible, right, you know, they think could move on. Now, that doesn't mean that, you know, they're not gonna have a revolt like Americans want them to. But it's not like it hasn't come at zero.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Remember too, in China, there's a real social contract to with them. They gave up all their freedoms and they get to get rich, and the Chinese oligarchs saw plenty of them in Japan having a great time. They get to roll around the globe and stay at all these fancy hotels. The middle class gets to have Huawei phones that they're nice, They get to live in apartments. If you take that away, you know, one of the reasons that there's been some issues in China as you went from a whatever eight percent economic growth a year to like six, you drop six to four, suddenly you get to around two. Like America, things are not accelerating the same way, and the social contract changes. So it's just it's different. But you know, again, don't overstate, don't understate. Now, in the Canada Mexico case, I actually think it's totally different. And that is because Mexico, Canada, and the United States we all rely on each other. Forty percent of all US trade is Mexico and Canada. I mean Texas in particular, my own home state. That place runs on Mexican goods. Like if you look at NAFTA and all that, I don't think it should be that way, but that's the reality that NAFTA created, either Mexico or Canada.
Speaker 1: I believe you send us a map. I don't think we cut it.
Speaker 3: But what is it forty something of forty out of fifty states, our top trading partners either Mexico or Canada. I mean that's especially if we live in the north that you know, Canada exports so many goods to the United States. It's also a major trans shipping hub both Mexico and Canada of Chinese goods in order to evade tariffs and other trade policy, So that is where the tariffs will have will be most consequential.
Speaker 4: The auto industry alone.
Speaker 2: There are some auto parts, oh that are literally across the border eight separate times, back and forth in the course of production before finally you know, coming typically to the US for assembly or I mean Mexico has a significant number of auto assembly plants at this point as well. So if you're thinking, every time that part crosses the border, it's going to get you know, tariff tariff, tariff, tariff tariff. Yeah, that is going to add significant cost to the price of production. And that's just one example. Obviously, we get a lot of crude oil from Canada as well, so you know, if there wasn't an exemption for oil, then you're talking about immediate spike and gas prices, especially a lot of that crude oil goes to Midwestern refineries, so in the Midwest you would see an immediate you know, gas price spike. So those would be some of the immediate consequences if this actually comes to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Canada is lumber, oil, milk.
Speaker 4: A lot of building goods like the lumber.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, I mean that's literally Calgary exists basically as an alterna like a US province effectively. But the point is is that our economies, we are all very interrelated. That is a result of NAFTA and of now the USMCA. Let's put this up there on the screen. This is from Claudia Shinebahm, the Mexican president. She says, quote, there will be no potential tariff for with the US after a call with Donald Trump. This came their phone call after Donald Trump. I think you guys covered it so that he would impose a twenty five percent tariff on Mexican and Canadian goods as long as all as long as they continue to allow illegal immigration and fentanyl smuggling into the United States.
Speaker 1: That immediately set off.
Speaker 3: A diplomatic crisis in Mexico and in Canada, both of those leaders reaching out to Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Almost immediately.
Speaker 3: Trump effectively declared victory in Mexico or were with Mexico and he said they've agreed to stop all illegal immigration. Claudia shine Bomb's like, well, not really, but we had substantive discussions or whatever on the subject. Both sides are declaring victory and kind of trying to cool down the temperature. Basically, the same thing happening now with Canada. Let's put B three please up on the screen. Justin Trudeau he was summoned to meet with the monarch, with the king as part of the American It's like when the Roman emperor would summon the governors of the provinces and so. Justin Trudeau has been spotted down in mar Lago. He says, thanks for dinner last night, President Trump. I look forward to the work that we can do together.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 3: A source in Canadian media, let's put this on the screen, gave some of the details of the meeting. He says, quote no guarantee Trump tariffs are coming off. Trump didn't specifically say I need X, Y and Z to drop tariff. Both sides see a solution as attainable. The key Trump needs to be able to start his presidency by saying I have taken steps to save American lives. He wants. This is what he wants. The fentanyl thing is huge quote, despite Canada's minor role in it. Justin Trudeau told Trump he would be happy to step up helicopter patrols at the border. Quote that said incoming. Trump team likes tariffs. They will raise again and again trade deficits as a reason for them. Canada will need to be pointing out the reason that the US has a trade deficit is its oil. So there could be a solution to this one threat, but that doesn't mean that it will not pop up again. I think the TLDR of it is that this is the Trump reality is that there will be a ton of negotiation on international trade. One of the reasons that Canada and Mexico are uniquely vulnerable, as I said, is all of our economies are so deeply intertwined, also on oil and specific types of goods. Trump has better use of the National Security Designation under the Commerce Department to be able to impose tariffs on those certain goods. And he also has frameworks within USMCA, which was the framework which replaced NAFTA that was negotiated by Bob Leitheiser that gives them like accelerated adjudication and tariff imposition. But that said, it will be a legal mess in terms of you know, our courts, their courts, the Internet, World Trade Organization, there's intra adjudication processes.
Speaker 1: And all of that.
Speaker 3: But this is the course that Donald Trump wants to take. It's very clear he was serious. He actually wants to do it, So we'll see how it actually works out in terms of manufacturing and in terms of what it will actually look like for our trading relationship with these two nations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was part of what was noteworthy about his framing this as being about fentanyl and migration, because that fits into that like national security.
Speaker 1: It only makes framework Mexico. That's what the iron I mean.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm not in Canada stand but like, we don't have a ton of illegal drugs coming across the Canadian board. There are a lot of trade beefs with the Canadians. They take us to the cleaners on milk and car parts and a lot of oil and a lot of different stuff.
Speaker 1: But like that has nothing to do with fentanyl.
Speaker 3: But the reason why he's saying fentanyl is like you just said, you have specific national security designation to protect the United States of America, where if you classify it under that, you can impost certain.
Speaker 2: It can't just be like we're not happy with this trade relationship because that's not a national security emergency. And so I think they feel they have broad latitude, and I think my understanding is in the past the courts have granted broad latitude. You know, president gets to what is a national security emergency and what's not. So if he says it is, then I think it's unlikely the courts are going to be like, oh no, it's not really. I think he probably does have broad latitude. I think the assumption should be he probably does have broad latitude to implement across the board tariffs effectively wherever he wants to, and so that's part of the power that he's wielding here. You know, I was curious, Sager, for your reaction to this next part. Let's put this up on the screen. You just mentioned Bob Leithheiser, who negotiated that, you know, revamped NAFTA, and he has been iceed down so far of this administration. Reportedly, according to Axios, Trump thought he was too scared to go big. You know, he's seen as one of the more sort of like serious thinkers when it comes to tariff and trade policy in general. I know he's someone that you appreciated in the first administration. Frankly I did too, you know, I supported the Trump tariffs against China and Bind's continuation of those as well.
Speaker 4: So I wonder what you make of him being left off the line.
Speaker 1: I think it's all personality based. I mean, the truth is that l.
Speaker 3: Lightheiser is his own person He had a very successful tenure as the USTR previously. He doesn't need Donald Trump, and he's not a loyalist in the same way. He's his own man. And I think, look, I think I was telling you guys on the phone. I vividly remember there was a big meeting on China tariffs, and Lightheiser basically corrected Trump in the Oval Office because he didn't want markets to crash because Trump had understated or whatever whatever the deal was with our trade deal with China. Trump was furious with him over that. So I think a lot of this is personality based. In terms of Lightheiser was always a realist. He would tell the president. He'd be like, look, you can do X, Y and Z on soybeans. He negotiated USMCA. He was a very serious negotiator in his ability to actually get a real trade framework through. Trump wants somebody who's like, yes, mister President, that's what we're going to do, and we'll try and figure it out. That's not Lightthheiser's deal. He was a serious guy. He was always willing to push back if he needed to. But you know, I mean personally saddened by it. I thought he would be a great pick. Frankly, I thought he'd me and better pick. I thought he could be the U. S. Secretary of State. But it's also clear that Trump may have asked for some loyalty pledge and be like, you need to pledge to me that you will always carry out whatever I say and Lightheiser again, because you literally had the job. Was probably somebody who was like, I can't make you that promise. That's not how international trade works.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well, and also Trump in the yeah that could entail It's like, I'm not sure that I'm down.
Speaker 4: For all of that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely anyway, We'll be interesting to see how fans out.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to see it personally, I really am, especially you know, who doesn't want to see Canada put in this place