Speaker 1: This show contains terrifying, shocking, and haunting stories that some listeners may find disturbing or offensive.
Speaker 2: It's three twenty am. You're driving down a dirt road on the sixty two. Not a soul and sight, just you and the desert night. But wait, you hear a signal off from the distance. It's faint that it grows louder. Is it a howl of a coyote? The hiss of a king snake? Where is the voice of a man guiding you toward a great darkness? From my heart radio and overtones media, you're listening to YFT two, the only sound you'll hear in the Sleephole Valley. I'm Dixon Lewis your lone companion for the night, and I've got a new batch of stories to keep you up as you drive down this dusty, desolate highway. Ramone dreams of being a professional baseball player. All he has to do is graduate high school. His ambitions are uprooted, though, when his hometown is on the brink of destruction. This is The Ravine by Walter Thompson Hernandez.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: The IRA's rading here. Look, Ray, I don't know what all the hooplah's about. It's just gambling.
Speaker 5: Shoot, there's nothing wrong with wedding your beak a little bit sometimes.
Speaker 1: Letting your beak. What are you a parrot like? You're right, I agree with you. The only thing is his buddy. He should have been a little quieter about it. Then it would have been no harm, no foul type of thing. We wouldn't be here talking about it.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: It sure costs a lot of money to get him here. You think we got a chance to go all the way?
Speaker 1: Man, we have to. He's the real deal and these other players come up big. There's no reason why we should have made home dependent this year telling you.
Speaker 4: Is diving up on the ball, and he's diving up.
Speaker 1: He's driving me.
Speaker 4: He's not the box.
Speaker 5: And it's.
Speaker 7: Come on. I know you can hear me.
Speaker 1: Who your jets?
Speaker 7: Who my jets? Whom my jets? Talk to me with some respect. I'm your mom, that's what we're saying. Oh, get with the time, I get with the times. You know what's with the times? To respect your mother? Anyway? How did it go last night? I heard you coming in way past your curfew too.
Speaker 1: A man? It was okay, I guess went to a movie downtown over on Broadway. Then to the lookout spot over by Bale by the Highway.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that lookout spot. It's not the safest place me. Who that's where that boy where he?
Speaker 1: I heard you say that before, But that kid was up to no good.
Speaker 7: I mean, who, just be careful. I only have one son.
Speaker 1: Your son is the toughest one on the whole hill. Ah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah that's what your dad thought too. I'll look anyway. Expananta is a good girl. She comes from a good family. They've been on a norma for a while too. No, yeah, she's cool mom. And you know she let me get on base last night. You know, first base, second base. First you're kissing, holding hands. Then you know you really want to do is go home? Wait wait no, no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's the fact that.
Speaker 4: You need.
Speaker 7: Jesus, that's what you need. Look, Holy Water, look looks like more people are moving.
Speaker 1: I don't know what for.
Speaker 7: I mean, everyone is saying that they're coming here next week. At least that's what Petes is telling everyone. But you can't really trust what these people say. You know, a bunch of cheese, most of us, if you ask me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't call it, but if they come or not, I'll be ready for them.
Speaker 7: I mean, who, you shouldn't be saying those things.
Speaker 1: Saying what things that would have done the same if he were still around, you know he would.
Speaker 7: Boy, he's listening.
Speaker 1: Or it could just be our old shock have I speaking of the old man. I know where his old stash is.
Speaker 7: I know mobile me who don't talk like that. He's not here to talk about the things he did. It. Tell who you want to you want to not.
Speaker 1: Be around whatever? Mom, I can whatever, Nika, nada, hm. Then he could just come in here. I think they could just come into our home.
Speaker 9: No, no way, I'll show them.
Speaker 7: He's starting to remind me of you more and more. Remember what you promised me. Don't forget to take care of your son again. M indeed, no way. Man.
Speaker 5: Was it like closer to second or more like a little after first?
Speaker 9: Mm?
Speaker 5: Yeah, somewhere a little closer to second, actually, dang man, nobody's ever gotten that far with her. Jimmy from Bishop that was the last one who tried.
Speaker 1: Because they aren't me Holmes. You know, if she didn't go to cathedral, I would have got a little.
Speaker 3: Further with her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Catholic schoolgirls don't put out like that.
Speaker 4: Hey, did I tell you about the scout coming to see me next week? The one from UCLA?
Speaker 1: What no way, man, you did just say a word? Is that how you treat your best friend? Shit?
Speaker 5: Coach Salazar said he's coming to check me out against Wilson next week. They got that big old white boy Eddie Johnson. Supposedly he's signed to go play at USC next year.
Speaker 1: The big lefty white kid, the one that looks like he's nothing but beef and corn bread.
Speaker 4: Johnson.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's him, But who cares.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna strike his butt out every time he steps up to the plate.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, he's a conner if you ask me, he doesn't know what he's got coming.
Speaker 4: How about you, ramon? You still thinking about the army next year?
Speaker 1: I think so, man, Pops did it, and my TiO Juan might.
Speaker 5: As well do it too. Your Pops was real cool, man. I know he'd be proud of you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too. Throwing like that? Come on, Eddy's gonna hit it out the park?
Speaker 7: Hey, but like, how do you know it was him?
Speaker 1: But can you so hose? I saw him with that bimbo.
Speaker 10: They thought everyone was sleeping, but I had bad cramps at night, so I was up.
Speaker 7: Was my heart.
Speaker 1: I hope to die girl. I saw how short her skirt was too.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 7: I hope they're both happy, the both of them. Well, yeah, I meg, I have you read the latest letter the city since?
Speaker 10: Yeah, we did, and the money would help. I honestly don't want to go, but if we do have to, my sister's got some landover and said no, and you know, it might be good for us and the kids, either that or up in Fresno.
Speaker 1: But I hear it's too hot up there.
Speaker 7: I know if it seems too far, and SEO doesn't seem too bad. I mean, they say they're gonna be calling it alesioned His you know, thirteen story buildings, stores and stuff. Can you believe it?
Speaker 10: I believe it when I see it. He's green gonna say it. Lot, Are you gonna go to the next hearing? A lotta says she's gonna take another group soon? Okay, the lotta says it might help change people's minds.
Speaker 7: I mean, you should go if you want, But I'm fine here. Hey help me with these clothes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thang this one's real happy.
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 10: Laundry for all of La Loma.
Speaker 2: We'll be back with our broadcast after these messages.
Speaker 1: Hey man, let's go check out the spot on the way home.
Speaker 4: But I have practice, man, I gotta get right to school.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, it won't take long, promise.
Speaker 4: All right, But I can't be late, not this week.
Speaker 1: What in the heck? These belong to my dad, all of.
Speaker 4: Them, and they still work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they do. He bought them back from the war, and you some of these a night he got into that shootout with the cops. If the city comes like they say they are, then this is what they're gonna get.
Speaker 10: You.
Speaker 1: Ever, shoot with this thing with my dad all the time, and sometimes I come up here a target practice. Frank you in a help if they come.
Speaker 5: I don't know, man, Baseball's probably the only thing I should be thinking about right now.
Speaker 1: I got that recruiter coming loock. Man, baseball isn't going anywhere. I'm counting on you, man, Come.
Speaker 5: On, What if something happens, What if something like we get hurt or something worse?
Speaker 1: What about our home? Man? If you don't want to do it, that's fine. I'll find others. Juana and Gabe would do it. Yeah, I bet they would. Look this one's all oiled up ready to go.
Speaker 4: I'll think about it, and I gotta go to practice.
Speaker 8: H What is it, Mama? I could get understand.
Speaker 7: I am.
Speaker 1: That boy's gonna do whatever he's going to do.
Speaker 7: But there are other ways to fight back. What did that way ever do for us? That way is why you're not even here anymore.
Speaker 1: It did a lot for us. It did a lot for me, you know what. I am still here.
Speaker 7: We do speaking like you were before. But I kept my promise, did not?
Speaker 1: I told you I always be here, you remember, no matter what?
Speaker 7: Yeah, you did. But it's almost harder now than it was before. Like at least before I could hold you, touch you, feel the warmth of your body. Now I just hear the floor creaking under you.
Speaker 1: I miss those things too, matter I do, but it's better than nothing to me.
Speaker 7: You know, sometimes sometimes I wish it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Too mah hm, who are you talking to?
Speaker 7: No, no buddy, nobody mean who through here?
Speaker 4: Did he or dated by the video.
Speaker 2: Of Fanguli, old man Yellow Brown will be more fully removed.
Speaker 3: No, No rock, whoa whoa whoa I'm gonna shoot whoa, it's it's Frank.
Speaker 1: Don't shoot me, Frank. What the hell? Man, Brot's bring your freaking brains out.
Speaker 5: They got my dad, dude, and cuffs others too.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: Take this all right, cock it like this. Take these extra blizz too, and take the safety off. Just once you're ready, point it and start through these two lines. Okay, cocky, all right. They forced us to do this, man, Remember that they forced us. Wow, what a great game today.
Speaker 4: Huh A real good one.
Speaker 1: Man. Doesn't that guy in the batter's box remind you of big old Eddie Johnson?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 5: He kind of does, big old white boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, he kind of does. Huh man kind of.
Speaker 6: Does La lom haloed.
Speaker 7: The Bishop vision.
Speaker 2: The Ravine is written and directed by Walter Thompson Hernandez. The executive producers are James Kim and Taylor Checquoine. Erica Huang is a producer. Diego Perez is producer and lead sound designer. Alisina Sauy Nozari provided additional sound designer. Daniel Martinez is a production sound mixer. Matthew Wong is a composer. Theme music by Ryo Baum and Robert Garova. Artwork by Justin D.
Speaker 7: Lee.
Speaker 2: This episode was recorded at Hobby Shop West in Highland Park, Los Angeles. Walter Thompson Hernandez plays Miguel. Vladimir Santos plays Ramon. Elsa Sanchez plays Zamara. Michael Lorenzo Porter plays Frank Carmena called her own. Santos plays Maria. You Feel In This Too is a production of iHeartRadio and Overtones Media