Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. Welcome home, y'all. This is episode one hundred and forty five. Like I tell most people, only forty five really count. That's the forty five I've been here. But regardless, we give you our breakdown of all things politics and culture. I am your host, Bakari Sellers, and I'm joined by my amazing black panther. Today. She's stressed for battle. She looks like one of Jesus' saints. I don't know what she's over there doing, but she is prepared for battle and for war none other than Angela RII how you doing, Angela w Where are you?
Speaker 2: Butkary, I just been traveling mind in my own black business, and here you go from I'm a black panther to I'm incognbro mission like I don't understand, but I am. I am in Texas and as you know, Carmelo Anthony has two really important hearings this week, and so I am here to support him and the family and this really incredible legal team and an effort that you know, hopefully we see a positive outcome. So prayers up and good vibes. Only from the community, please.
Speaker 1: So on today's episode, Episode and forty five, we're going to be talking about how the federal government started a surveillance program towards targeting progressive groups in Minnesota after the deaths of Alex Preddi and Renee Good. We'll talk about the Trump administration how would shut down an anti corruption database so griftis can grift money, launderers can launder, and scammers can scam. Shut out shout out to young Miami surrogate mother has fled to Texas after refusing to abort their pregnancy at the biological parents' request. We'll have more details in FYSA. That is a story that I'm kind of interested to hear the contours of it, because I think that may take us a little bit longer than just the FYSA. And Angela's just going to have to be mad then we talk about it so long. And then Northwestern University is ending its eighty year old program of African Studies, one of the most in depth programs in the country. They're taking our history away from us. And then actress Hayden Pennettier, best known for her Roland Heroes. She died at the age of thirty six in Greenville, South Carolina. We'll talk about that for a little while Trump's new Attorney General, Todd blanche is starting an initiative to restore Felon's gun rights. You'll probably be surprised to hear what I have to say about that. And we'll get to primary election results in Florida. There's a couple of big surprises. One huge surprise. Money doesn't win everything. Alex Vindermann probably had a different speech in mind evening, and we'll have a couple of longer topics. Maybe maybe not, but I think the main topic we'll discuss is what exactly is the democratic establishment. We'll also try to get to Professor Jason Arda, who was accused of plagiarism, hounded to death, and died. Many of you all probably have not heard about this story, but this is a story that hits home because it shows you the power of media, the power of ignorance, and what happens with black masculinity, fragility, and we'll talk about mental health. All of that is coming up, so first, starting with four year Situational Little Awareness also known as FYSA and Angela Madam Madam Black Panther, please start off with what you got for us today, with what's going on in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Where is Madame Black Panther coming from?
Speaker 1: Because you got you you blacked up.
Speaker 2: I just got to my room, like I'm just trying to be here. Okay, I'm just trying to be here anyway. For your situational awareness, we are talking Operation puppet Master. Federal agents surveiled progressive groups and labor unions following the ice kielings of Renee Good and Alex Pretty in early twenty twenty six. They infiltrated meetings, churches, schools, monitor group chats. What does this sound like? Anybody heard a coin? Tell bro, that's what it sounds like. It's giving. They never left the spirit of Jaeggar Hoover because they're still in the Jaeger Edgar Hoover building. And so it says that they collected years of financial records from organizations like the Sunrise Movement and major unions like our friends be at SCIU where they have the first black woman president, April Verit, and so it's important for us to understand this also communicat Workers of America, where there's also a black labor union president. So it's fascinating to see that. Of course, the FEDS are going to surveil where there is righteous work happening. What'd you say about that?
Speaker 1: You know we were there. It makes me always think about what they were listening to, what happens when we touched the ground. I know that's a very selfish thought process, but when I talk to people about dealing with the FEDS, the last thing you ever want them to do is go snooping around. And so when I think about people like Don Lemon, when I think about people like Georgia Fort, when I think about the people who are.
Speaker 2: Undergoing Jerome Richardson.
Speaker 1: I was going to get to Jerome Jerome Richardson. When I think think about people who are undergoing the full weight of the United States government, it just for me, it's troubling. I know that you and this is going to go kind of in the left field, but I don't know if you've been reading about the flock cameras recently and how how you've been seeing government rat up surveillance. And I remember a time when Republicans were like, no, we don't want government in our building, we don't want government in our space. And now they're in absolutely everything we do, which is it's kind of a segue because the federal governments and everything we do, unless they are a Trump colleague and they are pillaring, and I think pillaring is the word I want to use. Pillaring Maybe maybe not, or they're drifting at a very high level because the Trump administration announced recently that it's shutting down and deleting an anti corruption database at the Treasury Department. The unique part about this is this database track shell company ownership and these shell companies that exist only on paper to hold assets for businesses, ladies, and gentlemen. What they are shutting down is the database which keeps criminals and Monday launderers in one place so we know who they are. It was originally created in twenty twenty one, following up a bipartisan effort to pass the Corporate Transparency Act, which passed over then President Trump's veto so Angela. My question to you is, why do you think they're doing this?
Speaker 2: Criminals gonna crme like I'm sorry, Like it's for somebody that so blatantly violates the Emolument's clause, someone who has so many impeachable offenses, someone who hasn't engaged, you know, allegedly and sexual assault. I don't expect anything from him other than exactly this last week, as you know, we talked about how many bank accounts were flagged by Capital I from money laundering for him. So of course he's going to help the people who do the things that he does. You know, this is a man that's tearing up the White House and making the reflecting pool green. I mean, like, what else do you expect? I have nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Now, I think that I think that we have to be extremely we have to be extremely careful and cautious because as we said, as I tell everyone who listens, there is a great comparable, comparable, or or analogous phrase which is that Donald Trump is a bull in a China shop, which is probably very true. However, when that bull leaves that China shop, under whatever reason or for whatever reason, that China's forever destroyed. And although this was just a piece of legislation that's been signing in a lot of the last five years, what we're realizing is that is that it's more necessary than ever because we're seeing people. I mean, you can look at the Los Angeles Lakers and the sale thereof uh you can look at how individuals who are impacting our daily lives, insurance companies, the list goes on and on and on are participating in shady activity. And this was one way to maybe stamp that out, but instead we have this. I want you to take me to Texas because I need you to help me understand what's going on in Texas. Answer.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't ever know what's going on in Texas, but let's talk about this because this one is kind of fascinating to me. So there's a surrogate mother who was asked, obviously to give birth to a child by some parents who probably were struggling to have children. The parents wanted this woman to abort this child that she was carrying because it was diagnosed with a heart condition twenty weeks into the pregnancy, this baby boy. The surrogate mother is like, I'm not doing that. I mean, you know, there's any any number of reasons why be in the South to have an abortion these days is really really treacherous and scary and you could end up in jail, let them tell it. And so anyway, this surrogate mother refused to abort the child. The baby was born in Texas and had to undergo several heart surgeries and the biological mother again because she refused to both the child kept the baby. Now the parents who asked for her to carry the baby have a restraining order against her and there is a custody battle. She's calling the baby Gabriel, they're calling the baby Roomy, and either way, I'm trying to figure out what they want her to do. Like y'all asked for the baby not to be here, and now you want the baby. It's fascinating to me. What's say you on this one?
Speaker 1: I don't know. This is one of the most confusing stories that I've been that I've had that it's it's truly fascinating. Like why Texas is my first question, That's my big question. Why Texas is an important question. I am very cognizant of the fact that you know, me and Al and we had our own iv F journey understanding iv F, understanding you know how difficult it is. We started out with iu I, we then went to iv F. You know, Ellen almost lost but her her life during childbirth. So I'm very cognizant of the difficulty it is to have a child. I pray for people all the time, not just to have healthy pregnancies, but to have healthy births. So I get all of that, right. This is interesting because I want to see what the contract looks like between and y'all be like, what are you talking about? Yeah, I want to.
Speaker 2: See Oh that's a that's a fair point.
Speaker 1: I want to see what the contract looks like because at the end of the day, if you're a surrogate, then you are just contractually carrying and as perverted as that sounds, you're simply contractually carrying a child for someone else. I want to see what rights the parents had in the contract, and I will tell you a lot about whose child it is. It's not like you can say they didn't want it, so now I'm gonna I'm gonna keep it. I mean, that's not really the way surrogacy works. I don't know, but this is.
Speaker 2: If they say they want the mom to abort the baby, and the mother is like, I'm not comfortable with that. There's for legal reasons or moral or ethical reasons, or she was feeling some attachment to the child. Well, how did they have a right to get the baby back?
Speaker 1: Now, Well, that's that's a lot like fathers who say they want their baby mama is to abort the baby, and the mother's like, no, I'm gonna keep the baby. That doesn't mean like that don't mean the father ain't the father no more. It don't mean like I.
Speaker 2: Guess that is the baby necessarily, just like, yeah, like you tried to abort the baby. Y'all wanted her to abort the baby, and she's like, I'm protecting So what if is it more like, you know, somebody throws the stray puppy on the side of the road, and somebody comes and rescues the puppy and keeps the puppy. Does the person who threw the baby distray on the side of the road, don't make that face? Follow me here, follow me here, you go and rescue astray? How are you not the custodio guardian of the stray?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: So this isn't that, Like what about Tupac Britta's got a baby? Hello? The brenda through the baby and the dumpster.
Speaker 1: This isn't that either. So there was a contraction the dumpster, No, this was they didn't the baby never reached what I.
Speaker 2: Want to know what constitutes a breach of the contract that's what I want.
Speaker 1: Well that I mean, we got that's we also have to read the contract for that.
Speaker 2: That's is that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Syracaucy is an interesting thing because I mean, like surrogacy is you literally, I mean, there are many ways to have children in the world. You can adopt children, I U I surrogacy, like all of those things are very valid just natural processes whereby you have children, and surrogacy means that. I mean, I'm not sure that you know saying being as Sirien, you can actually say I don't want the baby anymore. You have to have an abortion. I'm not sure that's actually a thing. But I'm also not sure by simply saying you wanted the baby to be aborted, that's no longer your child. I don't know where this I don't know where this lies on the court of law. I mean, this is this is kind of weird.
Speaker 2: What is Mari when we need him?
Speaker 1: Well, Mari ain't gonna help because I mean, we know, we know the baby.
Speaker 2: He knows she to mama, but he got to decide, like I know the other daddy and mama have a say.
Speaker 1: The baby needs one one name, or they gotta make it like Gabrielle Rooney or Roomy. Yeah, that's that, you know who I pray. I pray for the baby because this is this is a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean this, Lolo said in the chat. Also, the baby had hypoplastic left heart syndrome, which has one hundred percent fatality rate. Well a baby is here, God said, not so so anyway. Also, clearly we ain't seen the.
Speaker 1: Contract, and Lolo also didn't tell you when the fatality rate was within a year, within two years. Lo Lo just out here stating random ass footnotes that she she.
Speaker 2: Said, every case dies before thirty five.
Speaker 1: Okay, but I mean like thirty five. That's that you there are.
Speaker 2: There are a just died before that? When did Jesus die? When did Martin?
Speaker 1: Thirty three?
Speaker 2: See what I'm saying, You see how much life you can live, what you can give to the people.
Speaker 1: That was kind of my point exactly. So I think that point that you and.
Speaker 2: That's your point now because I have helped you through shrap puppies and Brenda's got a baby and everything else, You're welcome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't I think I might be right on this one. I honestly don't think I'm gonna let you. I'm gonna let you live on this.
Speaker 2: But wait, I mean, let me tell you this, because this is a really good point to bring this up. So breaking news. In my d MS, I got berated by some random man who said that I regularly emasculate you, and I yeah, he said, I regularly emasculate you. I don't let you talk and I'm condescending and I down talk to you. So I don't know how you feel about that, but I just want nigga.
Speaker 1: I thought you were about to apologize.
Speaker 3: I was about to apologize that I don't believe that you think I'm Does he not listen to you call yourself Beyonce on these episodes?
Speaker 2: Does he not hear you say? You just call me a black panther or whatever other kind of shit you accused me of robbing somebody?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 2: When I got out of here, you got so much stuff to say. He don't hear nothing you say to me. I think the brother is sexist. That's what I think.
Speaker 1: Oh oh it might It.
Speaker 2: Might be a bock farm. Actually might be a bock farm of ignorance.
Speaker 1: One person is.
Speaker 2: In my phone I'd have been created in the last One.
Speaker 1: Person is not a farm second. I think that you should apologize for your behavior. You should apologize for your behavior, and it's okay if you don't alogize.
Speaker 2: I apologize that you might possibly feel like you agree with this man.
Speaker 1: I don't necessarily agree with him, but I can understand.
Speaker 2: What are you trying to get me to apological? Move on to your next clip.
Speaker 1: I'm sad about my next clip. I was actually have my little dance. I don't know if you remember this dance right here, and she did this, and it was and she did that, and then she came and she swung.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: You remember when Hayden.
Speaker 2: Study bring it on the way you did it?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, she did this? She was like, I didn't.
Speaker 2: It looks like you think that this is a strip club situation. And I think you just need to move on because you don't choreograph like Janet Jackson or Living Color.
Speaker 1: But I do choreograph like I do choreograph like Hating Pennanty here. She was an actress and a child star. I've been reading her book recently. I asked all of you all to go pick it up. I was reading it on my flight to the West Coast today. I read the first six chapters of it, very tor minute. She died at the age of thirty six in Greenville, South Carolina. She starred in the TV shows Heroes in Nashville. And she also started like I do my dance and I do this. We started in a lot of movies that we.
Speaker 2: Listen to, you they have no idea what you're doing, So just doing the.
Speaker 1: Dance, doing the dance with her and Solange. She was found dance. She was found dead in her home with apparent signs of cardiac arrest. No foul play, although it's under further investigation. We're watching this play out. The book I was reading was her memoir This is Me, A Reckoning, which detailed her life as a child star and her struggles with depression, substance abuse, and domestic abuse. She was with her domestic abus her at the time she died. He's just awful human being, just a terrible, terrible, terrible person who actually served time in jail for domestically abusing her. And what we've seen is that there are a lot of different things that happened Hollywood, a lot of different things that happened in child stars growing up Hayden with somebody who you you know, you adored. She was right up there with Tapanga for most of us. And it's just a sad case of someone who you could tell has been tormented with the ghost of Hollywood for a very long period of time, but has always been there, like every year or every other year, there's been a movie or a series that she's played a role in. And so she recently died and there were two ambulances there. There was narcin in the house, and she was in Greenville, South Carolina. She had just after training order was lifted. She was spending time with her ex boyfriend, and she recently passed away. So that's my two cents on Hayden, Panitie, you got anything on that, Angela.
Speaker 2: It's devastating. No, sorry for her family's loss and to the many people who she impacted to bringing on in all of her other work.
Speaker 1: May she rest, Yeah, And she she has a beautiful daughter. I believe her daughter is. I believe her daughter is eleven now. And she has a daughter by the former Vladimir Vladimir Klitchka. I couldn't even get his name out of Vladimir Klitschko, who's a former boxing champion lives in Ukraine and this ship is just sad, so we'll move on something else. Said Northwestern University, one of the premier institutions for African studies, not African American Studies, but African Studies. They laid off their entire staff. It was started eighty years ago and was the first academic program focused on Africa in the entire United States of America. Was founded by American anthropologists.
Speaker 2: Man, listen, I'm Perskavitz, Melville Perskavitz.
Speaker 1: No, it's Melville Jherskovitz.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Well you can't even get through the first part, so I was just helping you. Welcome, Thank you.
Speaker 1: You're always there for me. It's unclear if other Northwestern staff will take responsibility of continuing the African Studies program in Northwestern. Students who major in minor and African African studies have been left in the dark about the program's future. For me to sit home because my father was the director of African American Studies and people are like that don't really sound like the same thing, although it sounds like the same thing, but there was such overlap between the Africana Studies or African studies and African American studies and just the richness of the culture and how it prepared you for interdisciplinary future and career, and the things that Northwestern had that other people didn't have. Understanding colonialism, understanding the richness of the continent, understanding the diaspora. We are going to miss the program at Northwestern. And this is what happens. Elections have consequences. All you negroes who are out there talking about Trump and Hillary Clinton were the lesser or two evils. This is what happens and we're still dealing with that in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Well, on top of the elections have consequences, narrative will just keep that party going. The new Attorney General, Todd blanche is launching a process for formerly incarcerated individuals to apply to have their gun rights reinstated. They're expecting approximately three hundred and thirty thousand people to apply in the first year of the initiative. I actually am not opposed to this beak where you.
Speaker 1: Say no, I actually think it's a great piece of legislation. I think that you know, individuals who are formally incarcerated, we need to do everything we can and make sure they get the gun now. Only there's a caveat The only people who do not need their gun rights back are people who are convicted of domestic violence.
Speaker 2: I think anybody that's also used a weapon like you know, like you know, attempted murder and you know, is proven, I think they should have to go through a more rigorous process. I will say one concern that I've had historically from family members and friends who are formally incarcerated. If you get like pulled over and you have a weapon on you, you like risk your whole life again. And I think that that's an important piece to this, Like you shouldn't have been this shouldn't be categorized as a reoffense, like you're reoffended and are now back in the carceral system. I think that that is a really, really huge problem. So hopefully this addresses some of that. What I will tell y'all is we got to read the fine print, which I have not done honestly yet. And this is important because the Trump administration regularly does things for the headlines, but not for the long run, and that is a different type of game. We saw some of that be with the first step back. They have renigged on a lot of the first step back commitments. We've seen that with you know, we've seen them do that on any number of occasions about a bunch of different things that are actually supposed to be helpful. I imagine that even with the Trump accounts, the baby bonds, which was Corey Booker's legislation, I am sure that at some point this dude is gonna renig on the baby bonds and getting people children some money right when they get come out the womb. So there's that. You guys got to make sure you read the fine print. Let's all read it together and talk about it next week. You've got some good results coming up in Florida and some not so good results results.
Speaker 4: Nobody knows.
Speaker 1: We got results coming up. So we got Wie Washerman shots who won PLU.
Speaker 2: So the black people see, let me just make sure we clear about this. But Kari not gonna say this. I'm gonna tell you all this. Wie Washerman Shoultz carpetbag to ass into a black district and stole a black seat from black people because black folks did not consolidate around a singular candidate on this particular graphic. You don't see the number of people who were in that seat running. There were I believe four black candidates. If you add up all of their numbers, they one of them would have beat w Washerman Shoults. It is the argument that many of us had with these candidates, the conversations that Uncle Luke who got on the phone with me and others and said that he was confident he was gonna be able to raise money. You asked him how much money he had cash on hand but car He said six thousand dollars, But he was confident he was gonna be able to raise money. Look at where he plays. He placed the same place he placed when he ran for mayor of Miami, was the mayor of Miami or Miami Beach, wherever whatever Miami he ran for. He was in fourth place. What place he in this time?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: He got seven percent of the vote. Was it seven percent? I can't see on this graphic. I need to look at the graphic, I said, But the bottom line is he ain't placed. He placed like I used to do in track the place before last. Okay, So yeah, let's look Luther, I'm sorry, Luther Campbell right now. And the results they were with sixty seven percent of the votes. In maybe somebody has an updated graphic now he had seven point six percent of the vote be So he was the one that wanted people to consolidate around him. Even Sheila, who was about to be expelled from Congress, got more percentage of votes than him.
Speaker 1: Why are you mad at Luke?
Speaker 2: My god, I'm not just mad at Luke. I'm mad at all of them for not consolidating. But I think my bigger issue is consolid No, he tried to consolidate around him. He tried to consolidate around him. He didn't try to consolidate around Elijah or Dale Wholeness. Dale. And this is what I was telling people. I was, like, all of them, it's probably dal Wholeness that's the most formidable because he's the one who ran the ground game in that district for Andrews Race. That dude has contacts. So if they would have all consolidated around Dale Wholeness. I don't know Elijah that well, but I heard he was doing kind of Well, what's this Florida twenty. I'm just going to check theirs out to see where we are now with the time of recording this show, we're still in election return night, So yeah, it has uh Debue Washerman shows with thirty thousand plus, so forty five percent of the vote. You know in some states that would be runoff territory. Dan Dale Holdn has had twenty three percent of vote. Luther Campbell ended up with eight point four percent of the vote, five thousand, six hundred and seventy nine votes. You know what that is? You remember that's six thousand dollars. I don't you that's about a dollar person, that's six k. He had cash in cash.
Speaker 1: That ain't That's not bad. I mean, that's a good return.
Speaker 2: God damn. If you only got six thousand dollars cash on here, drop out. You're not gonna win a congressional race.
Speaker 1: Come on now, these black folks voted overwhelming lay nearly two to one for DeBie Washerman Shows and Emanuel Do we know the returns.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to talk to my former boss about that.
Speaker 1: I was happy she got thirty thousand, She got thirty thousand. The closest person and got fifteen thousand. That's two to one.
Speaker 2: Well, can we talk about somebody that we're happy about? At least I'm happy about I don't know if you're happy about it.
Speaker 1: Oh, go ahead, let's go. I mean I think we should. I think cause the biggest surprise all night was Debbie Washerman Show's winning that race at seven o one. But actually that's probably the second biggest surprise because what happened, No, that's the second biggest, because the biggest surprise actually happened on the United States Senate front with Alex Vindermann, who raised millions and millions of dollars, getting destroyed by a young lady.
Speaker 2: Progressive we got on our show who and Nixon.
Speaker 1: I'm an amazing progressive black woman who actually raised less than a million dollars and if you look at the vote count, she got more than ten percent, more than more than one hundred thousand votes more than the next person. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: You know, can I just say to you be? The thing that I respect about Angie is something really similar that we saw when Andrew ran in Florida. And I remember there being a time when people were like, it's impossible, there's no ways he's going to break through. But one of the moments Andrew had that was really telling and change the game was he decided to lean into his roots and there was something where he needed to kind of speak out in protest. I can't remember the particular issue, but Angie had a moment like that, and it was around redistricting. And what we know we're all experiencing is this thirst, this desire, this urge to have our elected officials speak up and be courageous and take a stand for something bold and different. And she had a breakout moment to the point where Rondo Santras was like, Okay, well, I'm pressing charges right, Like, she stood up for the people when people were like, well, now, if our voices are going to be erased in the redistrict process, what do we do? And Angie had that breakout moment. We talked about it on a solo pot here. She was phenomenal there, and I think that it's worth people paying attention to. They're labeling her as a democratic socialist, as a poison pill in this race, but really with democratic socialism, and I think we're gonna end up getting into this in this conversation around establishment versus whatever is this has become a name brand, a label for people who are not beholden to any particular set of issues. You know, any you know, folks who tell you what time it is, what the rules are going to be, or whatever. They're dancing to the beat of their own drum and they're following their instincts and they're getting labeled as democratic socialists because that is what the Republicans want to do, to kind of create a boogeyman situation. But it's backfiring.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it's an interesting race because we saw someone what was a young lady who is a former congressman, former chief of police in the city of Orlando, who ran for the United States yademics, Val Demings. We saw Val Demings, who was a moderate by all intents and purposes, somebody who espouse progressive views, but who in this particular election environment would be considered to be a moderate. We saw her come up short. So it's going to be interesting to see how Angie plays out. But I do want to play this clip because to highlight the point that you were making. I want to play this clip from what David Jolly said, who's a former Republican. This is going to exacerbate the risks that we have in the party. But a former Republican who is now a Democrat, who won the Democratic nomination for governor in the state to run against Byron Donald's Let's play this clip from him.
Speaker 5: Is this a state Florida that can elect you as governor but also elects progressive Angie Nixon for the US Senate at the same time. Well, we're going to find out. We're going to find out. Look, I reject the DSA, I reject socialism. I'm a cap Listen. I think capitalism provides the greatest amount of economic mobility. I have been with Angie on the trail, and I'll tell you this, She's a fighter. She leaves it all on the field. She goes in every room talking about what I talk about. Can we improve your access to housing, affordable housing, to healthcare? Do you know where to educate your kids? What is it a government can do where the private sector is unable to improve your life? Angie's out there fighting for those same values. I think she and I have a very different approach to this. Look, I reject socialism, I'm a capitalist. We'll see how Florida's voters sort that out in November.
Speaker 1: So I just think that's an interesting He was very clear which most elected officials are not most politicians are not. He started out by answering the question that wasn't even asked of him, but then he actually did something. He came around and actually emboldened her by simply saying, Look, I've been in rooms that everybody else is an n I've been in rooms with her. She talks to people in ways that I talk to people. So I'm this is going to be This is going to be a race that is kind of fascinating to watch, and I want to see how nimble she is in being able to kind of not dodge rain drops, but be able to talk about issues that matter to people without being caricatured with issues that don't. If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: It does. I think that part of our work as people of goodwill, as Vince my brother Vince would say, is like, well, like what do the labels have to do with what you're ready to do for the people? Like how much do people like working people, every day people, the every day voter, how much do they care about those labels? And is it that socialism in Florida has a more dangerous context for some of the Latino voters because of folks proximity to Cuba or the fact that they are like white cube in there, like is this that why they're playing that up? I think that for him to say that they're in similar rooms having similar conversations with similar values, forget the label. What are your values? What do the people need? And how are you planning to meet those needs? How are you going to advocate for those people as an executive, as the governor David Jolly, or as a senator Angie Nixon, And I think that's really it. So this conversation that we're getting ready to have about the establishment, I think it's really important because there's almost like you know in church, you have an alter call, right, there's like there's like come to the front of the congregation. We're being asked to redefine what we stand for as this country celebrates it's two hundred and fiftieth. What do we really value what really matters to us? And is it the label of being a blue a donkey or a red elephant and a Democrat or a Republican or do you care if people have food to put on the table and wages that are fair and ability to survive childbirth and healthcare on the other side for the mom, the kid and everybody in the family. Do you care about your elders being able to pay their medical bills? You know? Do you care about children being able to eat free food at school and beyond meals when they get home? Like, those are the kinds of things that we should be talking about. And if I were them, if I were advising either of them, I'd say just this the labels altogether, because you're going to have to crisscross party lines and go find new voters that do not find themselves in the confines of these two parties.
Speaker 1: You just are yeah, that is the way in formula Yeah, And you're going to have to be willing to disassociate yourself with the things that are politically unpopular, which means that you just don't ascribe the litmus test, which drives me nuts because we live in a party and we live in a country where everybody wants to have a certain litmus test, meaning that you have to say x y Z to x y z issue and that's just not the way, not the way it that it works. Let's play a clip particularly about Medicare for All, actually for DSA first, before we get to Medicare for All, because Kristen Welker had an interview with a Kim Jeffries, which has made a lot of noise. And I think my larger question is, and this is what's been frustrating me. I mean, I've talked, I've spoken to Jamial Hill, I've actually been on TV with Jamil. I mean, I've I've listened to Van, I've listened to Charlemagne, I've listened to all the individuals kind of talk about the establishment versus DSA or DSA versus progressive versus. I don't even know what it means anymore, but listen to Chris Kirsten Welker and Kim Jeffries had this conversation about DSA first, and then let's hope back in on.
Speaker 6: The other side, democratic socialists belong in the Democratic Party.
Speaker 7: Leader Jeffries, Well, what I can say is that I do not support defunding the police. I do not support open borders. I do not support abolishing the Senate. We're focused on actually solving problems that hard working American taxpayers want us to solve, which is to lower the high cost of living in a situation where life is far too expensive in this country. That's the democratic agenda, That's what House Democrats are fighting to achieve.
Speaker 6: Do you think, though, that there is room in the Democratic Party under the tent of the Democratic Party for Democratic socialists? Is it big enough?
Speaker 7: Well, listen, I don't support the DSA agenda as has been articulated by the DSAY itself. Now, you're going to have individual members who have been elected in Democratic primaries, and if they are elected in the general in November, will be part of the House Democratic Caucus. It's going to be a broad caucus. There will be Progressives, there will be new Dems, there will be blue dogs. What I'm excited about are the candidates who are running to flip seats in November to deliver us a majority that pushes back against Donald Trump's extremism and moves the country in the right direction. That means us House Democrats lowering the high cost of living in areas like groceries and gas and of course housing, and fighting to make health care affordable for every single American, while at the same period of time, pushing back against the corruption that has been leased on the American people and holding the crooks accountable beginning on day one in January.
Speaker 1: Of next year. Actually, you know, I've always said that there are certain things that King Jefferies needs to do and what I want them to do to make it easier to get to November and actually go into being speaker. I have no issue with nothing that he said in that clip, though.
Speaker 2: I do because I think that you can't expect to be welcomed as the speaker and voted for to be speaker for people whose policies you condemn. And I think that there's a way to say, you know, I don't always agree with the blue dogs. I don't always agree with people who identify as Democratic Socialists or Working Family Party members. I don't always agree with, you know, the progressives in our party. But everybody has a home here so long as we remain a big tent, and we're going to figure out how to elect our leadership team and get good policy paths for the American people that you know, ensure that people have affordable wages and blah blah blah blah blah. There's a way to do that. I reject the idea that you have to fall into the trap of making these people the boogeyman, especially when the boogeyman has the juice. I'm Donnie busy jumping in pools with all his full suit on. In New York, he getting child care free, he getting people free bus passes and stuff. And they not mad at him, They mad at you. Yeah, So how do you make him your friend? Right now? There's not smart politics to go on air and condemn people based on a Republican talking point. That's not how you grow them. Because these people got to vote for him in January. On the other side of November is a democratic leadership election in January. He's not going to have positive results if he condemns these people all the way up to November, just.
Speaker 1: Not going to happen. I agree with you to the point whereby there has to be a realization that the politics of democratic socialism don't work everywhere. And like, that's why I say I agree with you to a certain extent because what you said, but what you said, But what you said, though is like not wrong, And what you said is embracing the philosophies and embracing the policies that work, embracing the policies that the American public are thirsting for, which I would argue many Democrats have been making for a long period of time. However, you know, we we have to. We have to understand that there's certain initiatives, certain policies, certain et cetera that just don't that that ain't flying in Georgia. I mean, it's not flying in Pennsylvania where you got to win those.
Speaker 2: Houses because of how they're talking about it.
Speaker 1: No, it's because they're outside of the main stream. It's like there's nobody, there's nobody who believes that. There aren't people in the three swing states in Pennsylvania who believe that defunding police is a sound policy position.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I think I think that that is a cheap argument. Like when was the last time you've heard progressive people and I'm not talking about raging liberals or you know whatever you want to call these folks talking about defunding the police. Like, let's go. Let's go too. Since you want to call me a black canther today, let's go to the ten point program. We want freedom, we want empower to determine the destiny of our black community. Everybody wants to be free. Let's call that. We want the American Dream Number two. We want full employment for our people. Everybody needs a job. We want everybody, everybody who is able to work in this country to be able to get a job. That's so this is what we're calling socialism. We want to an end to the robbery by the capitalists of our black community. That's talking about people who are the people that are getting these big tax breaks, the people that Donald Trump is helping the money launder we were just talking about earlier. They're taking away people's ability to have Medicaid Medicare snap benefits. We want decent housing fit for the shelter of human beings. These are all things that would have been deemed as socialism when the Black Panther Party for Self Defence put this platform out in nineteen sixty eight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's not And I'm just saying, sorry, yeah, but that's not what we're talking about today, And that's not what we're talking must. But that's not But that's but that's not what we're talking about when you're talking about things like abolishing the Senate, when you're talking about you know that that's.
Speaker 2: Not there because those people don't say that. Antie Nixon is not saying abouts the Senate. Shit, she's running for the Senate, Like that's what I'm saying. Like some of the stuff that they're putting on DSAH.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it's not there putting. It's not they're putting on them. I mean, it's what it's It's like, I'm not I don't.
Speaker 2: Have anybody asks Angie Nixon why she's running for a seat that she seeks to abolish. It's because she doesn't believe in that. And what's unfortunate here is Hakem and everybody else who has not taken including David Jolly, who I really like as well, have not taken the time to figure out what the new iteration of their platform is. People are harkening back to a platform that they're no longer like building upon. These folks have pivoted and evolved. There's ship that the Democratic Party under Bill Clinton pushed for, including cutting food stamps, that the Democratic Party of today doesn't stand for. So I just think we have to be not be disingenuous in our approach about this. There are I think they probably agree eighty five percent at the time, you know what I mean, Why are y'all even writing on that, like you're letting Fox News dictate how you talk about DSA folks, And it sounds like goddamn Antifa again, and what is that. It's like it's a faux organization that they manufactured to scare the hell out of white.
Speaker 1: And by the way, it's not anything that's that's that's like that far off. But I mean, you're talking about defund the police, You're talking about in all misdemeanors.
Speaker 2: Where is that? Where is that on Angie's platform? I'm just saying about Angie.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm not talking about you have to.
Speaker 2: Talk about Angie because she but I think that that's.
Speaker 1: But I mean, the problem is.
Speaker 2: B what we end up doing is we put this DSA label on Casper and we don't look at that label on the actual candidate who's running. So the actual candidate who's running or the actual candidate who won, what do they stand for when you go to their site? What are they saying? I guarantee you abolishing the police and the Senate is not on Angie's page, So.
Speaker 1: Why you can't but you can't be a so that I mean, that doesn't that doesn't work when you're trying to me.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of stuff that we don't agree with the Democratic Party on and yet we still vote Democratic. It's not fair. What do what does she stand for? What does that candidate stand for?
Speaker 1: But I'm so My only point is if you're you're going to literally have to answer these questions in a general election. I'm not talking about a premire, the Premiariy is over. I'm talking about in a general election. You're going to have to answer these questions because are you asking me? If I don't know the Moody girl's first name, but Ashley, I think, are you asking me? Is Ashley Moody better than Angie Nixon? The answers no, under no straightform or fashion however, that conversation, but Ashley, that that is the conversation that twenty percent of the people in Florida are going to have. And my point is when you are, when you but when you call yourself, when you are part of a party, right, whether or not you adopt everything that they say, you are saying, you're going to end all misdemeanors, You're going to abolish all prisons, You're going to disarmline. I hear you, I hear you.
Speaker 2: Better you keep going back to this, and it cheapens and it flattens the analysis in ways that I don't think is fair to any candidate running for office, and as someone who who is a former candidate yourself, it's because because you can't let me just say this as an example, we have an autopsy report from the Democratic Party of what happened after Kamala's race. We don't agree with the ship that went down, so I'm not going to hold that back for them. Angie is she supports a working Families guarantee. She has medcare for all, universal childcare and pre K, quality public education, cradle to career housing, you can afford, standing with workers and unions, reigning in big tech and AI. A foreign policy rooted in diplomacy, human rights and restraints, climate action that magines together the crisis, protecting and expanding democracy, getting money out of politics, making billionaires and corporations pay their fair share. She sounds like Elizabeth Warren to me, she sounds like somebody who with a good, solid progressive platform. She don't have shit on here about abolishing.
Speaker 1: But you can't. But you can't be DSA when you want to win a primary. Not only this is my point, you can't be DSA when you want to win a primary and mobilized progression and then say and then say you're going to be and then say you're gonna be somebody else. And by the way, Elizabeth Warren can't win in Florida.
Speaker 2: No, never been, She's never been anybody else. But what it says on this website today, the day that she won the primary, and who she's been in the state's exactly.
Speaker 1: This disagreement is not about I don't know her or her.
Speaker 2: I'm just using utilizing Angie because I don't want to have a random Casper on this, like let's name the elected or lame the candidate and go to their platform rather than oh, they want to we went through.
Speaker 1: We went through. I mean, okay, so if we're going to do that, I mean we we just we saw that. We saw that, we saw that Francesca Fum didn't win. So that that is somebody who I believe that's that was her name. I don't want to miss because I think you just because you know, I haven't that's my.
Speaker 2: Her name is Francesca Hong.
Speaker 1: What did you call? I'm sorry, but let's go to.
Speaker 2: Lost, So let's talk about somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: So I think that's the right thing to do, right we can go to Mam Donnie'm Donnie's in office, Democratic Socialists, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: So I wanted to go to and this is what I was trying to find the young lady who simply who recently won Daria Liza Chevalier, the Democratic candidate for Congress in New York, who is a Democratic socialist, and where she talked about abolishing the police. She wanted to abolish prisons, She wanted to get rid of borders. She praised communism, She called for open borders and zero deportations even for criminals. She attacked Joe Biden, she attacked Kamala Harris and her posts. So my only point is that we're going to use the same litmus test that you did Hues for Angie, which is fair. I think that is absolutely fair if you're going to judge them and in that vacuum, which is hard, it's really hard to do. But for the purpose of this show, I think if we're going to live in that truth, then that's let's let's live in that truth. We have to look at all of them and you know, feed them out the out the same spoon.
Speaker 2: You give them the opportunity to say, do you still stand by what you said on this X y Z date. Because sometimes when they get to the general, as you know, they pivot, people get moderate a little bit. It's like, Okay, now I don't have to break out as much. So what's really good? My mayor is supposed to I'm not even call her my mayor. The Seattle mayor, as you know, because I talk about it on multiple shows, is highly problematic. And she's supposed to be progressive. To me, she's just a raging liberal with limited experience, and she talks about some of the dumb shit you're saying. It's not practical, it's not rooted in any type of policy analysis, no type of data, nothing. I'm not with that, But I'm saying to label everybody who falls under that umbrella is as ignorant as labeling any of us who vote a Democratic ticket the same way. It's just not And I think we got to resist the earth to be lazy and to do like the complicated work of being like where can we align? Where are the values? And I think the biggest issue is I really would encourage everybody, whether you a moderate, a blue dog or you know, whatever kind of dog or red dog, whatever, kind of whatever freedom party, you know, liberal Black liberation, What are your values? Lead with your values and don't lead with the label. The labels are gonna get you played.
Speaker 1: Well. I think that I agree with that, But I will say this, and I think that that I agree with that. No, I do. But I like when you when you look at somebody like Chevallera, who I just wanted to because I was pulling it up, you know, who said that I have no nuance to add Kamala Harris, like what are we? What are we doing? Like? I mean, so when you talk about Dixon and what she may espouse today or what not me what she does because you went to it and you read from it what she does espouse today, it's a part of.
Speaker 2: Nixon.
Speaker 1: What I said, what I said, Nixon didn't Dixon. I'm sorry it's late, y'all. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: It's later for me.
Speaker 1: No, it's later for me.
Speaker 2: It's not aren't you on the West coast? Yeah, it's not later for you.
Speaker 1: It's later in spirit. Anyway. My only point is that when you when you, when you wear the DSA hat, you have to wear all of this crazy shit too. And while we agree, I don't I'm not. I don't. My point is that I agree with you it ain't fair. Oh, I trust me. I agree with you that it ain't fair. However, when you talk about winning a race, and when you talk about winning a race in Georgia, you talking about winning the race in Missouri or Florida, were talking about winning something in Texas. When you talk about winning something and it ain't baby Blue, it gets extremely difficult to do that and answer these questions before we get out of here, though I want to. There's something else we got to talk about, because we could talk about this all day. I really risked my brother Andrew talking about this. Let's let's get the professor our day real quick, because many people don't know what happened. But I think we got a couple of a couple of clips and posts we wanted to put up quickly. Go ahead, go ahead, No, go ahead. What I was going to say is simply that this is a young man that social media lynched and accused him of being a plagiarist. We saw the person who sparked this up. He recently committed suicide in the UK because of all the pressure he was undertaking. But I wanted to have Nick, I believe we have a couple of clips, well not excuse me, clips, but headlines we wanted to put up. He resigned on August fifth, with the letter saying he had reached the limits of what any person should reasonably be expected to endure. The media response it with one hundred and eighty eight more articles in nine days. On the fourteenth of August, he was found dead. He was only forty one years old.
Speaker 2: This man was and I know we have some other graphics to show, but this man was the youngest black professor well the black period. The fact that he was a professor in the UK, particularly at Cambridge, and then the youngest that they've had in their history is astonishing. And he said in his resignation letter like I'm just because I'm resigning, don't meet, doesn't mean that I am, you know, saying that I did any of this. And now you know he doesn't have anything to say in his defense. So I want to I want to play this because there were thirty thousand people who attended a vigil for Jason our day and I had the privilege of meeting Simon Wooley, Lord Simon Woolley, who is who you'll hear from next. I heard from him. I met him during a leadership, an international leadership convening in Denmark some years ago, and he is particularly impressive and brilliant, and we'll hear from him now as he speaks about Jason.
Speaker 4: That needs to be some reckoning, that there needs to be some justice. But today, today, today, from all of you, today, with all of you say after me, I am Professor Jason Awday. This was a vicious campaign, but it wasn't just a campaign against a professor.
Speaker 1: It was a campaign against Uliver so Angela. If you can just from from the beginning, if you can just tell people the cliff notes version of what he was accused of and how they followed through with their vicious attacks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, and I know again we have the post where it shows how many articles are written. But Jason arde again, he became the youngest black professor in the history of Cambridge. He was diagnosed as autistic and was nonverbal until he was eleven years old. But yet, the thing that I think is important is even if someone runs a foul of the rules, how do you hold them right? What are the accountability metrics? And I think for me, I believe for him. If he says he did not plagiarize Cambridge, I'm sorry. The institution that he attended for school and where he got his doctorate said that they had investigated it and they didn't find any incidents of plagiarism. That is the kind of thing that people should hold fast to, and instead people attacked him. One of the people who was chief among them is someone who thinks that black people should be limited to playing sports and being entertainers. So this is the same type of narrative we're seeing here as the nation, and then of course the world takes on. DEI we have to really reckon or like wrestle with what that means for us and our belonging and what types of space that creates for us, and the types of harm it creates for this for us when we are able to show up excellently, because we are still able to do that even when people erect elect erect roadblocks, and I think that is the other big part of this here. So I am you know my thoughts. My heart goes out to his family. He's a father, he's a husband, somebody's child, and he did not deserve this type of disgrace and shame and humiliation. I know, we have a graphic that shows how many articles were written overall. There's like, you know, in the number of articles in one publication was astronomical. And yeah, two hundred and forty nine articles in twenty two days. B I don't know about you, but when you get hit with that negative press, when it's two or three articles, two or three to five blogs, that's overwhelming. The comments are overwhelming when people disagree with you. The Bob farms now that they deploy, that's not unique to just America. These people cyberbullied and harass this man literally to death. And that's something we got to talk about because there was a time where Clarence tom Ass, as my dad would say, he called his nomination hearing a high tech lynching. This is actually a high tech lynching. No, And.
Speaker 1: You know, for me, it's it's extremely sad because you see, and we were hearing about the stories, and as as soon as we begin to hear about the story begin to percolate, he he killed himself. And it seems as if the weight of the world was just It's like if you stand in front of a fire hose and you realize that they're one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten fire hoses just pointing directly at you, and you ask yourself why, You're not even able to get an answer to why, And when you're trying to have moments of silence, you still hear the chaos of the lack of peace or the lack of serenity, and you know it's there are people who consciously went after him, showing using him as an example that black people do not belong, point blank period. And I think there's a lesson to be learned that I teach my kids all the time, which is we still have to be better than them. We cannot live in any gray areas. I'm not saying he did, but I'm saying we just have to be We have to run faster, be cleaner, do everything better than the people who, unfortunately the world does not deem us equal to be, although we perform and excel and do things on a level many times that we find to be superb.
Speaker 3: Who cares about truth when the last more than seen it.
Speaker 2: What's your call to action, Angel, for us to just be better, be better to each other. I'm seriously.
Speaker 1: Because as simple as it is, I was like, that's absolutely like nail meet Ham or me nailhead.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, can we just do better by people? Like we don't know? Somebody actually warned some of the media outlets that they were going to cost him his life. So if somebody's telling you that, like take heed to that. We are living in such a fragile state globally. People don't know how to make ends meet. People are struggling on every side, like just be kind, you know, like really just be kind, Like fine, whatever, better angel, you need just be kind. And I'm telling myself that because I definitely will have road rage and ACTI full. I don't know where do people going. They may be rushing somebody to the emergency room where they might be dragging slow because they contact lens, fill out or whatever. Let's just be kind. I'm gonna work on it on road rage, y'all see me cutting up, Tell me I'm cutting up. I'm working.
Speaker 1: You know, mine is a little different minus to be better. And so I've always said that we have to be excellent and Benjamine Mays, who's the greatest educator of all time, said and all things that you do, you do them so well. That no man living dead or yet to be born can do them better. Unfortunately, we have to have that standard of excellence. And the problem that we have is right now we live in a culture of low expectation and oftentimes you get what you back. And so make sure that you're teaching your kids that if they want to be a doctor, b David Satcher. If they want to be a lawyer, beat Thurghend Marshal. If they want to be a scientist, I'd be George Washington Carver. I know if you want to be a if you want to be a politician, be Nelson Mandela, be extremely extremely good everything that we're possibly doing. So but that y'all. Welcome home. As always, we want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native Lampod. We're available on all podcasts, platforms, and YouTube. You can follow us on social media and sub stack, or check out native lampod dot com. I am Bacari sellers along with Angela RAI. Welcome home, y'all. This is going to freak Angela out, but we are seventy five days until midterm elections.
Speaker 3: Welcome home to the Natives landing on the podcast face tess and for greatness.
Speaker 1: Sixty minutes is so hit, not too long.
Speaker 3: For the cret shit, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it. Then got chested. Politics touches you, you know, even if you don't touch it. So get invested. Across the t's and doctor I kill them, got them ass sellers standing on business with why you could have been anywhere, but you chose us. Native Lampard is the brand that you could trust.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reaison Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.