Speaker 1: From the Heart where Innovation, money and power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed loved Love.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline Heide a Bloomberg's World headquarters in New York.
Speaker 4: And I met Loudload. This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 3: Coming up.
Speaker 5: We'll kick off our earnings coverage with a breakdown of Disney's results as the Mousehouse beats expectations, but is it enough to fend off.
Speaker 3: The activist investor.
Speaker 4: Passier's coverage continues as we sit down for interviews with the CEOs of lift, Arm and Affirm and Airbnb has some AI news.
Speaker 3: And talking AI news. We're going to be joined by Bethany Bongiono, the CEO of Humane.
Speaker 5: As her company unveils it's hotly anticipated aipin.
Speaker 3: We're going to replace the need for an.
Speaker 5: iPhone, a product she helped build. That and so much more coming up throughout the South.
Speaker 4: The big earning story Disney. The story continued cost cutting two billion dollars of additional savings, narrowing losses on the streaming business. The Bobbeiger effect is working, but there some activism still top of mind.
Speaker 3: Carrect that is and has.
Speaker 5: This been enough to asswage Of course, mister Pelts, when it comes to the focus on this company disney earnings, we want to dig in deep need of senior entertainment and Internet analyst.
Speaker 3: I'm very pleased to welcome Laura Martin Nora.
Speaker 5: Ultimately, the cost saving strategy, the fact that he's pulling back on spending on content and maybe even shedding yet more jobs, is it enough to assuage some of those concerns?
Speaker 6: You know, I don't think so, because they just did twenty seven billion of content spending and it should have been thirty because we had strikes most of their fiscal year at the Walt Disney Company. Now he's saying I you're saying he's going to cut another two billion out of content. If you're a content company, first, how do you cut spending lower than a strike year? So I think either he won't be successful or the subsequent year he's going to have to spend a.
Speaker 7: Lot more to try to catch up.
Speaker 6: Otherwise it's going to start. He had very nice subscriber growth for his direct to consumer business, seven million subs, the most of any streaming company adds in the September quarter.
Speaker 8: If he doesn't.
Speaker 6: If he cuts content costs again, he's suddenly gonna have a horrible direct to consumer sub number. And so I actually don't think I don't think this will assuage Nelson Peltzenordo. I think this is a long term strategy to cut your content costs.
Speaker 4: You know, Laura, the streaming business is still such an interesting battleground. The company basically said that by the fourth quarter of the fiscal year we've entered, streaming can be profitable, which given everything you've just outlined, it's hard to see.
Speaker 8: Do you see that.
Speaker 6: You know, he's promised it for the last two years, you know, since he got there eleven months ago or twelve months. So the answer is he sort of has to make it profitable. I think the question I have is will they do transfer pricing? Because when they put a movie on the big screen like Avatar, and then they bring it to streaming, how much do they really charge the streaming entity for Avatar versus the linear TV business or the movie business. So I sort of think there's some transfer prising there that he can make streaming look like is profitable, even if technically if it was a standalone company it would not be so he'll hit it from a P and L point of view. But that sort of begs the question about returns on invested capital, and he said on the call he really needs to get better content. They make too much content, and the Marvel stuff especially isn't really working any longer. So we need to get more hit films and hit series out of the Walt Disney company.
Speaker 4: Now, timing is everything. Sometimes the big headline the actors strike ends after one hundred and eighteen days. Why is that important now for a company like Disney.
Speaker 6: So it's really important for companies like Disney, Warner Brothers, and Fox because they have this really robust linear TV payment stream coming from their broadcast television, their ABC, CBS, and NBC like Comcast, and without that, Netflix has been exactly presitioned for them. Like that's their competitive avantage over Netflix is they have these lovely TV series that are decades old.
Speaker 1: All of those have been shut.
Speaker 6: Down because the writers and then the actors went on straight so all their sort of offerings looked exactly like Netflix offerings. So that's bad for them. Now they're going back to work, They're going to get more television content. New episodes forty minute episodes that strategically is better for them compared to the Netflix competition, because Netflix has none of that.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, they're going to be folding in Kulu testing out how it is to have it all under one over the top product being offered come December. They're also, though still eyeing what on earth they already do with ESPN to make it the digital force they want it to be.
Speaker 3: Where do you.
Speaker 5: Sit on the m and a storyline coming from CEO right now.
Speaker 6: Well, we would like to see Apple by Disney, but that's an Apple question.
Speaker 4: Sloans alone. I think you're not the only one that thinks that, Laura, So, but I.
Speaker 6: Do think this notion of Disney plus plus Hulu into a mega app is a good idea. We saw HBO Max merge with Discovery Plus making a mega app. I do think that's where the world's going. Those mega apps are much more competitive with Netflix than standalone two different apps. And then on ESPN, what they said was they're talking to lots of partners because they want to create a new ESPN streaming app that's sort of like corners of the market on sports streaming. And so I'm very intrigued by who that might be whether it's Amazon or Apple or Verizon or they you know, they said it might be marketing support or distribution support or rights. I thought ESPN already had all the rights, but maybe not. So I'm very intrigued by ESPN. But to me, that's a little longer, he said, at the earliest, that's going to be a twenty twenty four to twenty twenty five launch. So I'm much more interested short term in the Disney Plus plus Hulu superapp and whether that drives subscriber growth.
Speaker 4: Laura, is the inner story of Disney. What makes Disney a technology company if at all it is not.
Speaker 6: It is a content company, and right now content isn't working, so it needs to get that fixed. The content is the engine. And then what Disney does best in class is drive theme park attendance, consumer product attendance, linear TV bundles, streaming, subscription revenue. It drives everything off Avatar, Marvel, Star Wars. It is a content first company, not a technology company.
Speaker 4: Needham Senior Entertainment and Internet analyst, Laura Martin bringing the energy this Thursday morning. Thank you so much for your time. Now, coming up from the show, we are going to speak to lift. CEO David Risher on the Right Sharing Company's earnings, Carora.
Speaker 7: What you got.
Speaker 3: I'm actually looking at the shares of Instacram.
Speaker 5: Now, remember they reported after the bell it was actually better than expected for this current quarter that they were really telling us the numbers on. But again they are talking about macroeconomic headwinds. They're also talking about pats and dialing back of the advertising growth with seeing the real driver for them. But ultimately they're talking about the several headwinds like the rest of the online industry you're facing. And she says, we're still very confident though in then long term opportunity of their business, particularly in Look online adoption in grocery in general.
Speaker 3: They expect to expand their categygory leadership over time.
Speaker 5: So a very confident Fijisimo, even though the market doesn't seem to be buying it right now, are off by nine and a half percent. This is BLUEBG technology. It's just checking on the shares. The lift a bit of volatility today. Actually having been in the red, they're managing to push into the green. Is The Right Sharing Company reported third called revenue that actually did beat anas estimates, but Look it's the outlook once again that people are a little bit cautious around. It seemed to be a little tepid in terms of the sales outlook for the holiday period. A please to welcome to the show now lift CEO David Risher. Great to have you here, and David just spell out whether or not some of the growth that you saw, particularly Halloween being a bit of a blowout, if you can continue that and why not at the same sort of pace going into the final quarter.
Speaker 9: You know, hey, Carol, it's good to see you. I actually think it's going to accelerate, and you never really know, but I can tell you for a couple of weeks leading up to Halloween this year, we actually saw record bookings in our company's history. And what that tells us is that people are getting out, people want to be connected with each other. So we actually just introduced a feature today that for a scheduled ride to the airport, if we're not there within ten minutes, we'll actually pay you up to one hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: We'll even pay you to take an uber to the airport.
Speaker 9: We really want to reduce stress for the holidays so that people can get out and enjoy.
Speaker 5: Themselves one hundred dollars if you don't get your car on time, even if you then take a taxi or an uber. I mean, how much can you really pay on incentives to make sure that people become addicted to your product rather than the key competition.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean the truth is, we don't want to pay a dime, right because we want to have a reliable product, and we do.
Speaker 1: We focus so.
Speaker 9: Much energy on making sure that if you try to get a scheduled ride to the airport, it's going to show up a couple of minutes early, it's going to wait for you, It'll help you with your luggage if you need to. You know, that's what our drivers do so well. So you know, our goal isn't to pay out incentives. Our goal is to get you to the airport. But if for whatever reason, traffic jam or whatever things get backed up, you know we'll get you there anyway, even if you have to take an uber.
Speaker 4: David, I think we kind of learned quite a lot about Lyft last night, the new data on gross bookings and on ridership. But that really got me thinking about your cost base and the take rate, and I know that's kind of old fashioned finance speech. But you have had to incentivize heavily and supply hasn't grown. So I just interested on how long that dynamic can continue.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so you know, when we think about you know, supply, that really means how many drivers we have on the platform. Our drivers are actually up forty five percent year on year, And the truth is it's actually not been a very expensive proposition for us. The incentives that you're referring to were really important during cod but of course people really didn't want to drive, as you know during COVID. But now we actually find so many drivers are coming back because it's a flexible job they can do on their own terms. They can drive when they want to and then they can stop anytime they want to. So, you know, it hasn't actually been a big problem for us, and something that we think over time is going to be, you know, even easier to do is attract more drivers.
Speaker 4: So if for twenty twenty four calendar year, what's your kind of reset goal for your company? You know, you're a relatively new CEO, You've galvanized the workforce. You know, I hear from a lot of sources that there is a good energy within the company, but you kind of have a lot of work still to do.
Speaker 9: Customer obsession. Customer obsession, you know, Customer obsession is what drives profitable growth. That's our whole thesis. And the better we can focus on our riders, the better we can focus on our drivers, you know, the more we'll grow. And we've seen this with for example, women plus Connect, which we've just launched in September, that allows women drivers and riders to request to arrive.
Speaker 8: With each other.
Speaker 1: People love that feature.
Speaker 9: Drivers love it because they can drive and feel comfortable with women drivers and riders for exactly the same reason. So these are the sorts of initiatives that are so customer focused, you know, focusing on of course fifty percent of the population, the women population that can really continue to drive, you know, satisfaction and therefore use of driving with Lyft and riding with left.
Speaker 5: David, I'm an obsessed customer when it comes to my bike, and I could send daily messages about docs not quite working.
Speaker 3: And I can imagine that.
Speaker 5: It's a really hard infrastructure to try and create a perfect scenario for every rider at the moment, particularly in New York City, for example, are you thinking of partnerships when it comes to the bikes, are you thinking of divesting in that particular part of the business.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so, I mean I love the fact that you're a big cyclist.
Speaker 8: I know that you are.
Speaker 7: And by the way, you're not alone.
Speaker 9: In New York City, we typically provide about one hundred and sixty thousand rides a day, right, I mean that's as big as a lot of public transit systems are. So it's a really significant thing for a lot of our riders.
Speaker 1: And as you say, hey, it.
Speaker 9: Is, you know, sort of a complicated business. We're actually putting in new docks in New York. I don't know if you've seen them yet. They're easier to dock. They actually charge up the electric bikes, which are a huge source of growth. But anyway to your question of.
Speaker 8: Are we looking to partner, we are.
Speaker 9: We're looking to partner with organizations that can really continue to invest in the infrastructure that's needed so that e bikes can be even more popular or tomorrow than.
Speaker 8: They are today.
Speaker 4: David, I'm sorry, I want to go back to the supply issue because I'm reading the cell side reaction and even women plus Connect, you know, I see that as kind of a driver for rider shit. But I wonder if that initiative has also brought more women drivers to your platform and made you more competitive on the supply side too.
Speaker 9: It sure has, and it's such a good point because look, only twenty three percent of our drivers are women today, and by the way, they only drive fifteen percent of hours.
Speaker 8: So what does that tell you?
Speaker 9: Even though it's a great job, right because it's flexible, you can log in when you want to, you can log off, you can pick your kids up from school, you can go to your other job, whatever it is you want to do. That tells us is we need to continue to invest in bringing more women drivers onto our platform, which increases the overall driver's supply. To your point, and that's what we see happening. We're now available in fifty markets across the United States, excuse me, fifty five across the United States, and.
Speaker 8: It's super successful.
Speaker 9: So it's a great example of a customer obsessed initiative that benefits both drivers and riders and ultimately makes it more appealing for everybody, which then, of course drives growth, which drives profitability.
Speaker 4: That's how you build a great business. David, we ask you once again. I think now for the third time. Are you opened still at this point to a sale or being acquired.
Speaker 9: I love the consistency of the question. I'll give you a consistent answer. You know, we will always answer the phone, you know, that's part of the job.
Speaker 1: But it's not our focus.
Speaker 9: Our focus is on customers and are just obsessing over them so that they can get you know, home for the holidays, they can get to Thanksgiving stress free.
Speaker 8: That's really the focus.
Speaker 4: Licia daved Rish a greats catch up. Thank you for joining us from San Francisco. We appreciate it. A firm Sharre is absolutely surging today after the buy and now pay Lata company posted fiscal first quarter revenue and forecasts. The top testamers joining us now is a firm CEO Max left Chin and book who's here our INCHINALI best to take it away?
Speaker 10: Thanks Ed, and thank you Max for joining us. Of course, the market is reacting to the numbers, the revenue doing much better than expected. But there's a point that I want to touch on here first, and it's this idea of credit quality. Because even though you've seen a little bit of a deterioration quarter over quarter, it improved quite meaningfully from a year ago. Is that sustainable?
Speaker 2: I will point out that even the deterioration, as you put it, was something that we had predicted and deliberally communicated to the market to the quarter ago, or we said, look, we expect.
Speaker 7: A slight increase through the summer entirely see Denale.
Speaker 2: You're related, and it will normalize right after and that'll be exactly what we saw.
Speaker 7: So all of this means is we are in control of the credit.
Speaker 2: Outcomes of the loans we make, and it is in contrast to the rest of the industry. Anywhere you look, you see delinquencies creeping up and both struggling to maintain a sort of a quality credit performance. Well, we have been able to distinguish ourselves. It's not an accident and it's not a secret may behind. It's the structural advantage that we have. We write very short term transactions four and a half months.
Speaker 7: It's the way to add life below.
Speaker 2: And every transaction is individually underwritten, which means that we have an incredible degree of control over what we actually put into our book.
Speaker 8: Max.
Speaker 10: The other thing that you've been talking about more at a firm, you're a traditional buy now, pay later pioneer. But you now have the affirm card. How much does that compete with the buy now, pay later model.
Speaker 2: It's actually perfectly complementary to it. It's to me, I'm heavily biased. It's sort of my baby, but it is the for the moment at least, the key of achievement of binoculator.
Speaker 7: It's binoculator on your debit card that works.
Speaker 2: Both online and offline, entirely control into your hands. You decide it's going to be a transaction which just settles against your cash baland or becomes the bino biliad alone, as always were affirmed, entirely transparent, no lead these milk compounding interests, no gimmick key flocking schemes to contend with. It's the perfect embodiment of what we've been working on for a decade. And more so, it's just compliments and everything we've done. And we have incredible road amount of plans for their part it. We'll talk a lot about it next week in our Industrial Form event, but we have years and years to build into this thing.
Speaker 1: Max.
Speaker 4: We said here, Hi, we got Adobe analytics data this morning that showed October was a record in the US frontline spending, and the MPL was a big sort of contributing factor to that. I know you've talked about the Amazon relationship, and you just mentioned next week that what other modalities do you see by now pay later kind of growing into going forward.
Speaker 7: I think there's quite a lot more growth to cover.
Speaker 2: I think the secular shift, especially among the young consumers. We're about two thirds millennial and gen Z on our consumer base, they ask for more transparency, they want easier way to understand what it is they're going to own when they're going to be out of death and so to set pulled alone creates ample.
Speaker 7: Opportunity for company like ours to grow.
Speaker 2: We think there'll be incredible growth in offline with buyout, realiter in brink and mortar on our card, but also from our app directly. We think there are opportunities in small business lending. You've heard our announcement last week we're going into solve Props and we think there are many many small businesses we get help there.
Speaker 7: So there's just lots of.
Speaker 2: Places where this idea of honest financial products makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 7: And the consumer and consumer of this product is just longer.
Speaker 5: To work uwidstanding actually calling out how you're really communicating more clearly about the customer journey, how you can think about purchase capacity, communicate with us about your investment capacity right now? How much do you want to be investing in the business when we do have perhaps calls that an economy is going to turn, when we are thinking about how much we need to outperform in terms of the world of AI, where do you lean in on?
Speaker 2: You know, we're fundamentally a software development company. You know, everything we do we do in house and write a lot of code. The results of this quarter or speak themselves, but they're fundamentally just the sign up how well we've been executing primarily in building great software and delivery partners. That is our area of investment. We're not a marketing prown company. We're able to spend really barely. Anyone can speak of sails and marketing. We just build a great products. And so when we speak of investment, we speak hiring talent and so optare engineers, talented underwriters, talent, learning folks, talent in the ivys that just made our products that are over time the base for ourselves.
Speaker 10: You know, you raise your guidance. But even before that, your stock had more than double this year on a two year basis, though, Max, you're still down. So I'm wondering if you look at the next leg for a firm, the next big ambition, the way to drive growth moving forward is what is next? Is it going global? Is it cutting a big deal? How do people think about the story moving forward?
Speaker 2: Yes, the short answer, we're already on the right here abouts. We have whole intentions. During Global we spoke about uniting Kingdom, our likeliest next point of entry global market.
Speaker 7: We do think that there are plenty of retailers, both online and offline that.
Speaker 2: Are still to benefit from one of financial products we build them, and so we are very active in marketplace and our example opportunities these days to help retailers inventory, especially.
Speaker 7: As we had into the holidays. But there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Interests in our products along merchants. And then just if you look at how the sheer side of the market and are placed in it, you know, as you know, lucky we've been with this incredible growth. We are less than three percent list. I love the Bobby commerce, so there's just so much to go in less than eight you know the flicker of scale over all rounder, so we.
Speaker 7: Have a little lot to go.
Speaker 5: Max Levchen a Firm CEO, We thank you and our own Shinali Bassec.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 5: I'm Ed Babo and I'm Caroline hid and I've got a quick market check for you, because look, we are on such a winning street. When you look at the NASDAG, we're actually up for what ten straight days, longest is November twenty one. If you look at s andp up for the longest winning street potentially since two thousand and four. If we cling onto gains, the bomb market sells off as we anticipate some supply today. But noticably, I'm looking at bitcoin on a tear once again. We're at thirty six thousand. Moving on the individual movers, Apple and interesting one. Will they face a fine once again in the EU and the whopping like thirteen billion euro figure that is potentially what's being advised. We're also looking at what's happening with the world of Airbnb because some product Finessa's announcements coming after of course earnings previously, we're up just about a tenth of a percent one hundred and seventeen is currently where we trade, but we're going to get really the intricacies of ultimately what's going on with this business, how they're looking to improve and continue the consumer and ed You've got so much more on that.
Speaker 4: We welcome our Bloomberg Radio listeners and TV audience worldwide. Airbnb is unveiling new features and AI powered tools for its app and a push to increase reliability. As part of the new features, listings rated above four point nine stars with less than one percent cancelations from hosts, we'll get a new guest Favorite label. Two million out of the more than seven million homes on the Airbnb platform qualify for that label. Let's bring in airbnbco Brian Chesky and our very own Emily Chang take it away.
Speaker 11: M Thank you Edin, Thank you Brian as always for joining us. Look, we can count on you now to sort of up the any with these new Pride features a couple of times a year. And as a guest, I'm excited about guest favorites, but at the end of the day, it's about driving new business.
Speaker 3: How many new.
Speaker 11: Additional bookings do you think these new features can unlock?
Speaker 12: I mean, I think this is going to be a really big growth driver for US Emily. And the reason why is the number one reason people like Airbnb is because the homes are unique.
Speaker 8: Every home is different. The biggest problem with Airbnb.
Speaker 12: And there we're in resent people book hotels is you know what you're going to get, And we ask, what if we can combine the best of both? What if you can have the uniqueness of Airbnb with a reliability you expect from a hotel.
Speaker 8: And that's what guest favorites are. But it's not our word.
Speaker 12: It's our guest word because we took three hundred and seventy million reviews and millions of customer service contacts and we created this collection of two million homes. I think this is going to bring a whole new audience to Airbnb.
Speaker 8: There was a lot of.
Speaker 11: Focus on your outlook last week when you reported results. You talked about macroeconomic trends. You said there's volatility, You said bookings could moderate, and that you're already seeing signs from that in this quarter. Can you tell us a little more about this volatility, where is it coming from, how dramatic is it and how big is the impact going to be?
Speaker 12: Well, mostly what we were doing is we were just a few weeks under the quarter, and we were seeing a lot of geopolitical uncertainty, so we just wanted to be cautious. The same time, we feel like our business is extremely resilient. We've done four point two billion dollars in free cash flow this year trailing twelve months. That is a forty four percent free CASHUW margin, our revenue group eighteen percent year of a year.
Speaker 8: So we're feeling really good at this very moment.
Speaker 12: We just wanted to exercise a little bit of caution just given what was happening in the world.
Speaker 11: So you've said Airbnb is now ready to expand beyond its core. Can you give us a tease where is that next level of growth and monetization going to come from?
Speaker 8: I think it's a few areas.
Speaker 12: I mean, let me first say, I think we've only scratched a surface of how big our core business of booking homes around the world could be.
Speaker 8: Next is international.
Speaker 12: You know, we're in two hundred and twenty countries and reads around the world, one of the most global intercomies, and yet a lot of our business is still concentrated in the United States and a few other English speaking countries. So whether it's Germany, Korea, Japan, Brazil or many other countries, these are huge markets that we can grow and that's going to create a huge amount of growth. And by the way, if there's ever a company that would be able to expand our nationally, it would be a global travel network.
Speaker 8: And then beyond that, I think everybody can do.
Speaker 12: Much more than offer homes for people to book on a nightly basis. And I hope to be back on your show soon to be able to tell you about some of those things to.
Speaker 4: Our Bloomberg Radio and TV audience. Wellwhile we are speaking to airbnbco Brian Chesky and mentioned it at the beginning, these kind of regular annual updates. And I know you yourself are actually pretty hands on product wise, but it's all done internally. And I think about the investments that you've had to make to do the AI integration to this latest tool. Where are you spending is it just purely on talent? Where am I spending my time or our money or time and money time is money. I'm spending most of my time on the product. What I've spent most of my time in the last two years back up. Travel is one of the most aspirational things in the world. Right If you ask people all the money rod would do, they say they travel. And yet the way a lot of travel companies are run, they're run by just looking at the financials and look at the metrics, and we do that, but there's something deeper.
Speaker 12: You have to create an amazing experience for guests and hosts. And so what I've done is I've been listening over the last couple of years, and we made three hundred and fifty major features and upgrades based on what the communities told us. We said that yesterday was a turning point, that when we could have a major answer for reliability, the number one reason people book hotels. Now we have permission to do new things because people don't want new things from you unless they love the thing you do. I think people are gonna love guest favorites, and I think we're gonna be ready for us to see new things. And that's what I'm spending my time on. My time is spent on innovation and what's next for Airbnb.
Speaker 5: I'm perhaps sometimes having to go and talk to regulators, and I think of some of the reasons people are buying hotels in New York.
Speaker 3: Is because there's less airbnb supply. You call it basically a de facto ban. How is that going? What are you doing to trum push back?
Speaker 12: Well, it means the way it's going is that hotels are now up eight percent year of a year from a cost perspective. If you have me on here next year, I'm going to make a prediction hotels will be more expensive. I'm not sure if housing will be down. So New York I think is turning into at least a cautionary tale. I'm disappointed of how it could go. But you know what, other cities have chosen a different approach. We're one hundred thousand cities in our top two hundred markets. Eighty percent of them have sensible regulation on the books. So we found a sensible solution. And whether it's London or Paris. In Paris, half a million people are going to stay in airbnbs for the Olympics. So I want cities to know that we want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem, and we're willing to compromise and come to the table and find ways to make the cities work.
Speaker 8: And I think a lot of other seas have found that path rian.
Speaker 11: You know, obviously what's going on in New York has been pretty dramatic. You know, people are calling this the airbnb apocalypse, and there are a lot of concerns that other cities could follow on, even if they do have smart regulation. Now I'm sort of curious on top of that, what are the travel trends that you're seeing post pandemic. Are people wanting to say, you know, I'm tired, I just want to staycation? And you know, what trend changes are you seeing in travel trends for the folks who are going out.
Speaker 12: So two things, just on the first part of the question. We do not think New York is a trend. We think New York's late to the party, not early. I mean again, we've worked with cities around the world. We now collect nine billion dollars of hotel tax, and I think that cities are not looking to New York on the travel trends. It's really interesting, Emily, before the pandemic, eighty percent of our business was people either crossing a border or going into a city the pandemic that was shut off.
Speaker 8: So what were people doing.
Speaker 12: They're getting a car and they were staying in big homes, larger homes with their friends, their family, typically in less urban areas.
Speaker 8: So what's happening now.
Speaker 12: What's interesting is the old Airbnb is back, the old ways of traveling are back, but the new ways of traveling are here to stay.
Speaker 8: And there's two reasons why.
Speaker 12: Number One, even though some people are going back the office more often, there's a lot of flexibility. You can now do more work from an extended weekend. I'll make a prediction next week for Thanksgiving or the week after for Thanksgiving. A lot of people aren't taking three or five day weeks. They're taking seven day weeks. They're going to work remotely Monday or Tuesday, so they're going to start taking those longer trips.
Speaker 8: So it's actually a very resilient business.
Speaker 12: And I think that more people are going to travel because it's what was taken away from the pandemic, and I think it's how they want to spend time with people.
Speaker 3: I want that seven day week.
Speaker 11: Brian, last quick question, we've only got thirty seconds left. Affordability. You're bringing down cleaning fees. Prices have come down a bit, but do they need to come down more? And can you do that without alienating hosts.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think our secret sauce is finding this magic balance to make sure that on the one hand, the offering is affordable for guests. Another hand, posts are still making great money putting on Airbnb.
Speaker 8: We don't price anything, So what we're doing is we're just.
Speaker 12: Trying to provide transparency and tools and guidelines.
Speaker 8: Here's the good news.
Speaker 12: In the United States, prices are three percent down on Airbnb year of a year. Yeah, host earnings are at record highs while hotels are up ten percent.
Speaker 8: So the trend line's going in the right place.
Speaker 12: And I think hopefully a year from now, heart prices won't be going up nearly as fast as hotels. And if that happens, it means airbeds a better value every year than the year before.
Speaker 3: Something's deflationary.
Speaker 5: Airb and Me CEO Brian Chesky, we thank you so much for your time, Blomas, Emily Chang as well.
Speaker 3: We have having you on.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Coming up, we'll.
Speaker 5: Speak with Armed CEO Rennie hass Is joining the show and the company's first set of earnings as a public company.
Speaker 3: Again, this is Bloomberg Technology. Welcome to our TV and radio audiences worldwide.
Speaker 5: Chip design firm ARM out with earnings for the first time since it returned as a public company.
Speaker 3: That was back in September.
Speaker 5: It's beat expectations for revenue and adjusted earnings per share in the second quarter.
Speaker 3: Shares, as you'll see, under pressure at the moment.
Speaker 5: This is more about the outlook for the company. Best person to speak to about it the m CEO, Renee has It is great to have some time with you and you're backtraining it kind of where you priced on the IPO at the moment, I'm looking at a fifty one twenty at the moment. Tell us a little bit about the ongoing weakness in the industry when it comes to mobile because you've been diversifying, but why is that not bearing fruit in the hair and the now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Caroline.
Speaker 13: You know, we had a record revenue quarter, which we are thrilled about. ARM has never done eight hundred million dollars in a quarter, and we also raised our yearly guidance.
Speaker 1: So we're very very confident about the outlook going forward.
Speaker 13: The stock's a little noisy, I think based upon timings and things of that nature, but you know, generally speaking, what we're seeing is our royalty business has increased three quarters in a row.
Speaker 1: And what we're hearing from our.
Speaker 13: Partners that were in the trough in terms of the overall inventory and getting better, and our licensing business is really strong.
Speaker 1: So as a result, great quarter and we have raised our yearly god idance.
Speaker 5: Okay, the context there is clear, and I'm interested about perhaps the AI focus that you've been having. There's been licenses for potentially a bit lumpy at the moment when it comes to companies wanting to deploy your technology within their AI offerings. I'm interested in when that becomes big volumes, when does that become more dependable rising royalties?
Speaker 8: Do you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 13: So, I think one of the things we saw this last quarter in terms of our increased licensing activity was companies looking to invest more to address this demand for AI and AI everywhere. I think the general perspective was that you need more and more compute technology. What existing systems today is not good enough.
Speaker 1: More is needed.
Speaker 13: So I think across all markets, we're going to see AI find its way into the end product. So for us, you know, seventy percent of the world's population uses ARM. It's literally impossible to do an AI application without us, and we think over the next several years it's going to drive great growth for US and for that R and D is needed.
Speaker 5: And I go back to the fact that you sort of said there's noise around the share price. That's kind of the conundrum of being a public company is the fact that you are a.
Speaker 3: Business that needs to spend internally, need to innovate, you need to.
Speaker 5: Invest, but you've now got these short term goals that in public investors want to see in terms of revenue build in terms of profitability. How are you finding that tension as a publicly traded company with ultimately a more demanding public investor base.
Speaker 13: Yeah, And as mentioned again, we had record revenue in the quarter. Our licensing business was up over one hundred percent. So what that says is companies are increasingly spending money on developing products that have arm inside. And based upon that and the royalty outlook improving for the year, we did raise our guidance annually. So as I mentioned, we're very very confident about the year ahead. As far as the balance between R and D and meeting goals and things.
Speaker 1: Of that nature.
Speaker 13: It's from something every public company see or even private company CEO has to consider. So I don't think we're in any different bucket there.
Speaker 4: Welcome to our Bloomberg radio and television audience worldwide. Speaking to armed CEO, Renee has Yes, the eagle eyed out there would notice, Renee, there's a discrepancy, right, it's in the cautious outlook for the current period and then this kind of full fiscal year boost you had relative to the kind of guidance during the IPO road show. What accounts for that discrepancy? Why short term worry but kind of confidence that longer term you're going to start booking, particularly on the licensing side.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 13: So we've just returned to the public markets, and I think we've got some time to help teach the outer community.
Speaker 1: About how our business works.
Speaker 13: Our licensing business is both the combination of timing and ratable revenue. In terms of when we can actually recognize the revenue. We have great visibility into deals. We have great visibility in terms of the revenue profile, which is why again we're very very confident in the year. So inside the quarter, our licensing tends to be lumpy. Something might happen one month versus the next, But in the main. We're very very confident and have great outlook in terms of when and if those deals will close.
Speaker 4: Rene ARM is still mostly a smartphone story, highly cyclical, low margin market. You may gains in data center in auto. Can you tell us when ARM will stop being mostly a smartphone story?
Speaker 13: I think I can tell you that today in terms of mostly we were probably sixty percent of our revenues prior to the acquisition, maybe more. We're tied to smartphones today it's less than half, so we are not mostly.
Speaker 1: A smartphone company anymore.
Speaker 13: Our royalty revenues in the last quarter we're up twenty percent in cloud and twenty percent up in automotive, So we have greatly, greatly diversified. And that's really a combination of both a very very focused strategy to do so and the pull and demand for ARM technology driven by power efficiency. These megawatt data centers cannot afford to add more and more energy. At the same time, your automobile running off a battery, it's a computer on wheels, needs to be very very efficient as well. So the trends are in our favor, and we've also made the investment in the specific products. So as a result We're seeing very very strong growth across these other businesses, and I think you can say that today we're not a smartphone company.
Speaker 5: Thirty seconds left Renee, which is always a joy for a CEO to hear.
Speaker 3: But I'm interested in London listening anytime soon.
Speaker 1: London listening anytime soon. Nothing that I can talk about specifically today.
Speaker 13: You know something we're considering down the road, but nothing specific I can tell you today.
Speaker 4: I'm c rene has thank you.
Speaker 1: For joining us, Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: It's an AI powered wearable device, but it's not going to screen and it's what Humane is betting on with its new AI pin. It's a standalone screenless device. Look that you actually pined your clothes like you lapel, and it has users engaging with it through its intuitive kind of touchpad to make calls, send messages, take photos, so much more.
Speaker 3: Maybe translate what you're saying. You can use your hand.
Speaker 5: Let's bring in Humane CEO Bethany Bongiano to the show, who's in San Francisco. On the day of the launch. People will be able to start ordering from the sixteenth. I think people have already been on some sort of wait list for this. What made you build it ultimately, because it's going to.
Speaker 3: Replace the phone. If I'm getting this rut.
Speaker 14: Yeah, thank you so much for having me. It's really great to be here today on a really big moment for us. We've been building for quite a while, and really the vision has always been to build the first personal computer that allows you to take AI with you everywhere. And that's really the vision that we've had since day one.
Speaker 5: People have been so excited to see what you're going to provide, largely because you've got some big backers. You've got already two hundred and thirty million dollars raise. You came out of Apple, of course, key to their product development.
Speaker 3: Everyone waiting with baited breath.
Speaker 5: Ultimately, how do you think that this will be demanded for when it's the first of its kind?
Speaker 3: But there will be competition.
Speaker 5: We already understand that Sam Oltman, one of your key investors, is looking at building a wearable with none other than Johnny I've.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think it's incredible that we're at this moment where we are really seeing the fact that we're at the beginning of a new age of compute. I think it's incredible that there's a lot of excitement around the space, and we've been building this vision since twenty eighteen. We knew it would take some time to build an ambient, you know, and very personal computer in the way that users expect, and I think it's amazing to see where we are now. And again it's just the beginning.
Speaker 4: Definitely, let's break down the hardware and software component. What is it that Humane's cracked on the hardware side and what is it that open aiy is bringing here on the software side.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think at the heart of it, we knew that we wanted to build something that was going to be as powerful as a smartphone. That's really challenging in a very small form factor, the miniaturization of it, the development of the antenna. We have an antenna that is truly global, that can roam anywhere. We also have a lot of technology packed in a very small package, and I think that's really the differentiator. This is a standalone device. It's not connected to any other companion device. This is something that is truly standalone and is network connected, and that absolutely has been the biggest challenge.
Speaker 4: Caroline referenced the reports from September that open ai and SAM will work with Johnny Ive on an AI smartphone or to device and in common, you do have the underpinnings of the AI technology. How will you work around that and remain sort of unique or competitive?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think that for us, what we're building is a true personal computer. We have both our own proprietary AI, we also use models from open AI and other models as well, and that we'll be continuing to grow over time. And I think we're just excited to see more excitement about in the space in general. I think that means we're all heading towards a world where ambient compute will be part of our day to day life, which is pretty amazing.
Speaker 5: So we're not suddenly dominated by our screen throw it to the side. Who and how did you build a supply chain into this at the moment, bethany where are you managing to get this built?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 14: It was incredibly challenging, as you can imagine building a company starting in twenty nineteen, building through the pandemic. We have some incredible partners across the globe really that have been part of this journey. Humane is a small company, but we have partnered with incredible groups of people around the world that allow us to really have the ability to manufacture in a way that I think hopefully we'll be able to live up to the demand, which we know will be incredible.
Speaker 4: Definitely, are there plans for low aspect kind of more affordable models of this for markets like China or Asian markets.
Speaker 14: It was always our intent early on to make it as approachable as possible, I think for the amount of technology that you're getting, I think we set a pretty high bar for ourselves in terms of pricing it as at a level that we think is approachable and accessible by as many people as possible. That was something we set from day one in twenty eighteen what we wanted the price point to be, and we.
Speaker 1: Worked really hard at that.
Speaker 14: Of course, there will always be improvements over time in terms of driving down costs, and that will always be something that is important to us. How can we make this as accessible by as many people as possible?
Speaker 4: Hemine CEO Bethany Bon, thank you so much for joining us here on Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 14: So thank you for having me really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: That does it from this edition of Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 4: Such a massive show to recab so many CEOs. We have the podcast wherever you get your podcasts. We're on the Bloomberg Terminal and also on Apple, Spotify, and iHeart. Four days into a big New York week. This is Bloomberg's technology