Speaker 1: So free agency has come and basically gone, and it was it wasn't It wasn't great. Let's be real, like it was a little underwhelming.
Speaker 2: All of the Dame news kind of dominated the trade deadline or the free agency moratorium. We all remember twenty nineteen only the glory days. Seven All Stars in twenty nineteen changed teams via free agency. Many of them changed teams in the middle of summer league this year just won a fringe All Star in Fred van Fleet, who got an egregious.
Speaker 1: Amount of money in Houston.
Speaker 2: I want everyone to get overpaid, but boy, oh boy, is forty something million dollars a year for Fred van Fleet a lot of money. No less than eight teams had max or near max money to spend. Three others could have made up and got into a max money to spend by not resigning their players. A full third of the league had MAX money available for free agents.
Speaker 1: And you know what they did. They did absolutely nothing nothing. What's going on.
Speaker 2: Free agency is dead, long lived trade season, long live tampering.
Speaker 1: That's what's going on. The athletics. John Hollinger, who I really like a lot.
Speaker 2: He's brilliant. He wrote an equally brilliant article that summed up pretty much my thoughts on the death of free agency. He pointed out that everyone is pointing out the new CBA as a reason that there aren't flashy free agent.
Speaker 1: Moves like there once was, and.
Speaker 2: In fact, though it was the last CBA that we are reaping the terrible benefits from CBA loosen restrictions on expiring contracts and brought us into the era of the Supermax extension, and as a result, no one wants to leave because the extension is too big, which is why going back, I don't give a fuck how they treat the Damian Lillard trade, because if we have two hundred and ninety million dollars to pay over five years to Shaden, it'll probably be like three hundred and eighty million dollars by the time he's a free agent. You're like, well, it's either three eighty or one twenty. I guess I'll stay. I'll guess I stay. So that was how that CBA works, is that you get the Supermax extension only from the team that drafts you, and they can't trade you for another full twelve months, and as a result, no superstars even reach free agency anymore.
Speaker 1: They say, well, you know what I'll do, I'll just sign the Supermax and then and a.
Speaker 2: Year I'll ask out, look at Dame sixty million a year asks out literally one year later.
Speaker 1: Twenty nineteen was the last gasp of the old free agent world. This season, the only teams to.
Speaker 2: Not adjust to the new reality were Houston, who signed Van Fleet and Dylan Brooks to big contracts but listen, they're desperate, and Toronto, who bizarrely acts like losing free agency for nothing is like what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: That's like, well, that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is like we just don't trade them when they're on an expiring and then they leave for nothing.
Speaker 1: That's like, that's it, that's how it goes.
Speaker 2: Instead, though, we got teams like Indiana who used a ton of cap space to buy and purchase or sign Bruce Brown, the bello of the ball, and everybody was like, why why is Bruce Brown getting over twenty million dollars per year from the Indiana Pacers.
Speaker 1: But here's where it gets really interesting.
Speaker 2: Cap space rules and the new CBA is how we got to that signing. Got to give a little love to Chad Buchanan GM for the Indiana Pacers.
Speaker 1: Very smart guy makes very shrewd moves.
Speaker 2: So he signs Bruce Brown on a two year deal, but get this team option in the second year, Babe, which means that Bruce Brown is only on a one year, which means he's on an expiring which means what he's a trade chip.
Speaker 1: He's a twenty million dollar trade.
Speaker 2: Chip, which gets you either multiple pieces back, or it gets you another valuable piece that you actually.
Speaker 1: Think is worth twenty million in return.
Speaker 2: Maybe you send him to a contender at the deadline and thinks that Bruce Brown's the final piece.
Speaker 1: For them to win a chip.
Speaker 2: Orlando did a similar thing with Joe ingles very smart, very enticing moves. They're basically just racking up and using their cap space to create a little war chest. Hollinger said it best. Cap space isn't cool anymore. The dream of an all star free agent signing is impossible if none of them ever become free agents in the first place. As a result, teams will need to think a lot more strategically about what max type cap room even means anymore, and what options are truly viable for franchises in that position. Many of them got fifty cents on their cap room dollar this year, and with so few genuine stars hitting free agency, I'm not sure the ROI is even gonna improve in coming seasons. I agree that being said, this new free agency was kind of fun, nonetheless, because.
Speaker 1: It's a lot more strategic.
Speaker 2: When you got guys signing Bruce Brown a twenty million dollars, you're like, who are they targeting? Like, who do you want that's getting paid twenty million dollars? Do you want a traded player exception for.
Speaker 1: Next off season? What are you up to? Because you're up to something.
Speaker 2: When it was just free agents getting paid max money and you knew that they wanted them and then they sign them, that's kind of boring.
Speaker 1: This is like Game of Thrones.
Speaker 2: That being said, I think that's gonna make parody and strategy and brilliance even.
Speaker 1: More paramount moving forward.
Speaker 2: So what I want to do is go over to who I think make good moves, who I think made moves that I'm not so sure are good, but they were moves, and then strange.
Speaker 1: Moves that I think are pretty bad.
Speaker 2: I think they're pretty bad moves, but I could be wrong, and then like can't judge it moves, Let's start with the good moves. We gave a little shine to him. The Indiana Pacers, they lead the list.
Speaker 1: I don't know how my guy buck chab you can and keeps flying under the radar.
Speaker 2: But what he's doing in Indiana is really, really interesting. I'll do a full segment on the full ways that he's revamped this roster with just a few different trades and in the draft. But Pacers won free agency and the draft in a huge way for starters. They give Tyrese Haliburt in the absolute bag five years, fun max two hundred and nine million. I think he deserves every cent. He might be the best passing point guard in the NBA. He is electric. He's the kind of superstar that you want to build your franchise around. A loyal one cough cough, alert to dame. Love him for this team. Seems like he loves the Midwest, and I think you building around a true point guard who, even though his shot is a little funny to look at, it's still pure and he can make his teammates better. That's very rare these days. But the Pacers were not done. They signed Bruce Brown two years, forty five million dollars. I explained why they did this second year is a team option. This is super strategic. It's a hell of a payday for a guy who was just making six million, but they are up to something Bruce Brown as a as a whole, and also on top of that, the Pacers needed to sign someone for that amount because of the luck, because of the cap floor. Otherwise than you end up losing money. Back to Bruce Brown that he can shoot, he can rebound, he can pass. It's not uncommon for him for him to have nine rebounds and ten assists or eighteen points, seven rebounds, seven assists.
Speaker 1: He can do a little bit of everything.
Speaker 2: He can play one through five, he can defend one through five.
Speaker 1: Legit six' four, guy the guy that played small.
Speaker 2: Five that's What brooklyn did with, them played him in the playoffs as a small ball five or as a.
Speaker 1: Four just one of the Best swiss army knives in the. LEAGUE i really like.
Speaker 2: Him and then The pacers go out and get another athletic, Guy Obi. Toppin oh B toppin' a no Stopping Obi. Toppin so they end up getting him for two second round picks from The. Knicks by the, Way Obi topen was a lottery. Player he can hit, threes athletic as, Hell he's versatile on offense and on, defense and he.
Speaker 1: Never really got a real role In New. York we don't even know what he can.
Speaker 2: Do we have no, idea and now he has a shot to be in the rotation in a major. Way he gets to play Alongside Miles turner in the front, court which helps him a, lot helps his ability to get to the rim while also helping Out Obi toppin's defensive. Deficiencies The pacers are gonna be a. Problem The pacers will be this. Year Sacramento. Kings i'm not saying they're gonna be the third team in The, east so pump your. Brakes BUT i think they're a playoff, team AND i think in the first round they make things difficult for whoever they, play and they're fun and they're, young and they're building something. Real and next year they're gonna even have more cap, space so maybe.
Speaker 1: They'll sign.
Speaker 2: Some other role player for two years and forty five million. DOLLARS i think the draft picks With Shepard Jeris walker on top Of Ben matherin And Andrew nemhard from last. Year is gonna be a fun ass watch this team's super Young hallagu's twenty, Three mattherin's twenty, One nemhar twenty, three top and twenty, Five Jeris walker, Nineteen Jordan noara twenty, four Aaron Ne smith twenty, Three Jalen smith twenty, Three Isaiah jackson twenty.
Speaker 1: ONE i, mean they only have a.
Speaker 2: Couple of guys with any age on the, roster and they're just kind of. CHILLING tj, McConnell Buddy, healed And Daniel. Thics we know what they. Are don't worry about. Them they're gonna be gone at some point. SOON i need to think about just just trade. Pieces trade, pieces some kind of expensive ones. Too you Package Daniel, TICE tj McConnell And Bruce brown and all of a, sudden you got yourself forty million in a.
Speaker 1: Trade see What i'm. Saying, anyway let's move forward With.
Speaker 2: SACRAMENTO i think they had one of the best free agent seasons as. WELL i know that a lot of fans that are very sad that this team did not Get Kyle. Kuzma do not Trip Harrison barnes at eighteen million is a. Steal you Give Dea sabonis two hundred and seventeen million dollar, extension and now you know you've locked down your center for the. Future you've made him, Happy you've kept him. Comfortable and speaking of keeping him, comfortable you do a deal with The Indiana pacers to bring his homie, In Chris, warte one of the guys who SHOT i think forty percent on catching shoot threes From Demona.
Speaker 1: Sabonis that is.
Speaker 2: A ton of. Stability that is a ton of respect for your star. Player on top of, that there are people who are, saying, well you didn't need to Pay sabonis that much.
Speaker 1: Money you. Didn't you can't even to take. It it, like get out of. Here this Is.
Speaker 2: Sacramento don't you understand how small markets. Are you must overpay your. Superstars that's how it. Is, then on top of, that the big free agent Signing Sasha. Vzenkov he signs a three, year twenty million dollar deal to bring him over From, europe where he was the Reigning EuroLeague, mvp the Raining European player of The year this past season eighteen seven and two forty percent from Three that doesn't that make your whistle wet?
Speaker 1: Pause six' nine? Forward?
Speaker 2: Pause nice he's only, twenty eight he's in the prime of.
Speaker 1: His career adds depth to a team that could.
Speaker 2: Use it, they ALSO like, i Said Get harrison, Barnes Back trey, Lyles back alex lenn, comes back gives them dempth at the center position they Move Or sean holmes so that they can do the Deal, for SABONUS which i like.
Speaker 1: AS well i like the draft picks that.
Speaker 2: They've add this has just been, very exciting, very exciting, very INTRIGUING and I think minni McNair's. NOT done i think there's even more.
Speaker 1: To do you just have to. Stay tuned HE'S the gm Of the year for.
Speaker 2: A reason up next Is The. MEMPHIS grizzlies i think they Also did.
Speaker 1: Tremenda's job it's not easy.
Speaker 2: When you've got issues in the clubhouse to try to, make moves but they Bring In marcus smart first and foremost before free agency even.
Speaker 1: Really begins in, the trade.
Speaker 2: Which is to bring veteran leadership, and tough gritty persona to really be the, big dog big Og To. John moran They Signed desmond bane to a five year two hundred and seven million, dollar EXTENSION which i. Absolutely like if you Don't Like, desmond bane you Don't. KNOW hoops i do not care about his negative wingspand he is a very. Tough defender he shoots from he shoots well from three.
Speaker 1: Pull ups he can do a little bit.
Speaker 2: Of everything he, can slash he, Can rebound he's a pretty, good playmaker and he's. The backbone he's a very very good. Culture guy they also.
Speaker 1: Add another veteran voice in the locker Room In. Derek Rose.
Speaker 2: Derreck rose is not the player that he once was after, the surgery but he can still give you ten to fifteen minutes of. Decent play he's a good presence for the team that has. Lacked leadership rose returning home is a, great story a good symmetry. FOR him i think it's a very underrated signing during the free. Agency period and they Also Add josh christopher in a deal that was part Of the chucker brigade that was In. H town I Like josh christopher coming off. The bench he's a buck getter and he's also a Friend Of. John morant's but the TEAM that i think made wine out of water really like more like wine out of urine Is The. PHOENIX suns i did not know how it was gonna be possible for them to fill this, roster out but.
Speaker 1: They did this is a team that add absolutely no.
Speaker 2: Wiggle room it was just vet minimum after, vet minimum AND so i, was like who are you really gonna?
Speaker 1: Get though what are you? Gonna?
Speaker 2: Do okay and what do? They do they put their hard hats on and they got. To Work matt ishbia put the team over the second apron with only six guys, under contract and they needed to figure, it.
Speaker 1: Out how do we pull the rabbit out of?
Speaker 2: Our Hat And james jones absolutely found. A way They Add Utah, Watton Nabe, Chimezi Metu, Kita Bates Dop drew Eubegs and Eric.
Speaker 1: Fucking gordon.
Speaker 2: Four of those five guys tall, as hell, have upsides, aren't pricey all can shoot and space. The Floor eric gordon is a three. POINT sniper i love the fact that they. Did This Utah watt nabe would have gotten so much more money if he didn't love Playing With.
Speaker 1: Kevin durant he is six'.
Speaker 2: Eight versatile wing he led the league last year in three point percentage and affective. Field goal percentage.
Speaker 1: Katie loves him. He loves kd he can play.
Speaker 2: Defense on and. Off the ball, he can rebound he can do all. The little things one. Out of player he's a. Good ass dude. People love him he comes to the team on a vetmin. On a vetmin do You Think Anyone utah watt nabi Included comes to portland on A Vetmin.
Speaker 1: For, damian lillard no the. Answer is no Speaking, Of The blazers drew.
Speaker 2: EUBANKS dips out i think he saw the, plane crash coming ended up getting his little parachute And. Flying to, phoenix six', ten another undervalue. Player legit backup center he can. Start center if, needed he can. Score he can rebound, he's very. Fucking tough very gritty he can. Shoot for a center he can shoot thirty. Eight percent from three. He's an intense dude he's gonna bring. Fire to the team he's gonna. Show up every Day Maybe he'll muscle DeAndre ayton a. Little bit in practice he was on multiple ten days and got a legit spot on The. Rotation For The blazers even eric gordon is a great veteran to. Lead the second unit he's gonna probably get some closing. Minutes in the playoff he's gonna be the guy that can get you a bunch of. Threes in the corner. That's what he Does, He's big shot Bob.
Speaker 1: He's big.
Speaker 2: SHOT gordon that's him i don't even know, why they did it.
Speaker 1: But they did it