Speaker 1: Hey, Howard, I got hurt.
Speaker 2: It work in the wows. My boss doesn't believe me.
Speaker 3: Ac in Law has over one hundred attorneys and stuff ready to work for you. If you've been hurt on the job in a car accident, or suffered a medical mistake, call three one two six million.
Speaker 4: From your favorite source for Chicago White Sox Talk, delivering news, interviews, analysis and more. This is The Soxs Machine Podcast with your hosts Jim Margolis, James Speagan, and Josh Nelson.
Speaker 1: Hello everyone, welcome to a special edition episode of The Sox Machine Podcast. I'm your host, Josh Nelson, and this is our twenty twenty six mid season Grades episode, as we'll be giving out our grades for White Sox hitters, starting pitchers, leavers, also grade manager Will Venable and White Sox churnal manager Chris Skeetz. We also have a bonus topic as well that we'll be talking about during this episode. But before we give out our grades, here is White Sox manager Will Venable when asked about what he wants to see the team approve upon in the second half of this season.
Speaker 5: Oh, we have a lot of things that we're working on, the things that are important on a daily basis for us and how we are attacking hitters and you know, trying to get count levers and maintain count leverage throughout games offensively and continue to put us out in a position to make good swing decisions and then drive the baseball and then you know, make it plays defensively. So really all the same stuff we've been working on, and now the focus is a little bit different. We have the all start breaking in a couple weeks here, and really for us now, you know, focus is that, you know, not let that be a distraction or grote focus on the present.
Speaker 1: Now I'm joined by Sox Machines, be reporter James Vegan and managing.
Speaker 2: Editor Jim Margolius, and hello, gentlemen.
Speaker 1: The first half of the Chicago White Sox in twenty twenty six has been the best surprise possible for this team. And this is how far the White Sox have come from their preseason projections on Fangrafts. Before opening day, Fangrafts projected the White Sox to have a sixty eight to ninety four record and a one point two percent chance to reaching the postseason. Now, at the midseason point, fangrass is projecting the White Sox to finish seventy nine and eighty three, so eleven more wins, and their playoff chances have reached almost thirty five percent.
Speaker 2: It's thirty four point nine percent.
Speaker 1: But if you just do the basic math when looking at MLB dot com slash standings, the White Sox are on pace to finish eighty five and seventy seven, And Jim Margulist is the season were to end today, the Chicago White Sox would have the second seed in the American League postseason, a buye from the wildcards, so we can watch the wildcard games without worry and have home field advantage for the divisional series. I can't believe I'm saying this about the White Sox. That's how special the first.
Speaker 2: Half has been.
Speaker 1: And I don't know how else summit other than this is the best surprise possible. But do you have any way of summing up on the first half of the Chicago White Sox this season, Jim.
Speaker 6: I think the numbers do a pretty fair job in terms of the postseason probability and the White Sox being in first place and with the offense they're doing it with. My question would be is if they somehow get the buye. Would you count it as the White Sox like first postseason series victory since two thousand and five? Like just getting to the second round. They've only done that once and that was the year they won it all. So like it does feel like it could be breaking new ground, even though they technically didn't do anything to get there. But I still would think they have to take that.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't count it.
Speaker 1: They didn't play anyone, but still it would be a first of franchise history.
Speaker 7: The key to the real reward of flitting a playoff series is not advancing. It's humiliating, destroying the will of another team. If there's no vanquished foe, if there's no suffering, what have you really accomplished? That is true, feel worse about themselves.
Speaker 2: Well again, as we record this mid season.
Speaker 1: Grades Recap episode, only four teams in the American League have a winning record, so it's been a down year for the American League. But hey, somebody's got to have a winning record. Why not the White Sox. And they're still on base to have a very strong two that twenty six season and a huge improvement in win total. They have it opportunity to win twenty plus more games. Almost did that last year as they won nineteen more and right now they're on base to win twenty five more from last year. So with our mid season grades, we asked you as well to participate. If you follow us on Twitter at Sox Machine. You can also follow me on Twitter at Sox Machine Underscore Josh. We bosted Twitter bowls to get your guys' grades for the position groups that I'll be sharing as well, and we're gonna be first handing out our mid season grades for the White Sox hitters. So James, I will start with you, what grade would you give White Sox hitters after the first half.
Speaker 7: I'm in a weird position to give grades because I went to Montessori elementary school and we didn't really like get letter grades until like junior high. And then he went to CBS and you get like pure letter grades and there's no nuances, there's no pluses or miss to them. So like when I got like a ninety percent, like ninety point zero zero in Spanish, to me, that was the perfect grade because I had exerted no extra effort and still got the maximum outcome. Created weird efficiency goals Notre Dame very weird grades. Do I grade them on a scale? Do I grade them like the Dodgers because I feel like any like based on like any expectations or you know, certain people anticipating like the worst outfield and franchise history. It seems like they're obviously in a in the sense that they could have multiple All Stars of their an above average offense, that they were leading division because of their offense, more or less that they have on their infield alone, a successful drafts and develop story, a successful marquee free agency signing, and a successful like raise the value of a post pipe prospect acquired through your like internal development system, making a player better than he was with the Dodgers like that they have too many like A's We didn't think they could get to like way, like oh, Edgar Carro backed up in a big way. Haven't gotten what they thought at Austin Hey in some sort of scale that you know, really has weighted like under under any sane person would like Tristan Peters is giving of like the best Louise Roberts season that they've gotten in the three years all they could have wanted from Louise the last two years is from a guy who's got DFA by the Rays and you paid a couple thousand dollars for or whatever it was. They've kind of hit the A. It's an A. I don't like what what would I be holding up? What would I expect? Wanted to go right for it not to be an A? Like you didn't keep Eversonbrera healthy. You get a beat and plus like there's no there's no Louis on HELICOUNA. If it's working, it's taken off a while and it still seems like maybe you know good bench players kind of what you're hoping for at this point. Yeah, the minuses have been more than canceled out.
Speaker 2: I would argue, Jim, what great would you give the White Sox setters.
Speaker 6: I also had an a becase I looked what I gave each of these units for the first quarter to make sure I wasn't just like pulling grades out my button, had some kind of standards I was adhering to for the course of the season. I had them at B plus in the first quarter and over the second quarter, So games like forty one through eighty one, we'll say top five offense in terms of WRC plus top seven terms of like fangrafs wins above replacements, all the components are pretty solid, and most of that's come without Munatakamurakami, who was out like at game fifty seven, I believe, so most that second quarter where they're a top five offense, is without the player who is underpinning seemingly the revolution of the first quarter. So you see everybody picking up the slack. You see like Randall Gritchick coming out of nowhere, and yeah, like Austin Hayes didn't quite work right away. So here's Randall Gritchick. And now you have that right handed quarter outfielder, the veteran that you're counting on, just by a different name, in different look, but kind of the same purpose and same you know, Bracket I suppose in terms of just where he was in the free agentier. So yeah, I mean, what more could you want given the circumstances, given the background, given just the extensive histories that we've been working with for the incumbents, and also just the the track records of the newcomers that allowed them to be found by the White Sox, be it Peters or Gritchick or anybody else.
Speaker 1: I also give the White Sox an A when you look at the overall season. They still currently rank fifth after the first half when looking at weighted runs create a plus on Fangraphs, which is very impressive.
Speaker 2: They're at one hundred and five as a team, and.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers still lead as far as Major League Baseball in that category as a team. But the fact that of the White Sox are still a top five offense, Jim, I'm with you. The White Sox get an A. On Twitter, seventy three percent of our followers gave the White Sox hitters an A. So everyone's in the same page when it comes to the White Sox offense. It's a big reason why they're in the position that they are after the first half this season.
Speaker 2: Now to the starting pitchers.
Speaker 1: And we know this will be our seventh consecutive podcast that we mentioned this. Yes, the White Sox could use another starting pitcher before the trade deadline, but Jim, what grade would you give the first half White Sox with the starting pitchers?
Speaker 6: Well, to follow up on the first quarter, I gave him a bee. Feels like they're in that territory right now. It feels, you know, and we have had this conversation about the depth and about like you know, James just mentioned you talk about with Eric Fetti, just how carefully they've had to manage him to get like adequate results. Anthony k providing a reminder in his last outing of just how he could go wrong, and then Noah Schultz's coming back and he handle the fifth starter spot roll that being fluxed, and you see like all the ways it can go wrong from here to where like if I give him a bee again, you know, within a few weeks, so that could look foolish. Now they need two starters of the deadline instead of one. But if you look at it in terms of what they accomplish and just kind of seal it off, say that was first half. That was you know, what you could hope for for the first eighty one games. Nothing about that, you know, what happens afterwards will change what their value was for the first eighty one games. I still think they're in that B territory because like Martin was great, Burke was good, which was it feels like a big development for them, especially with him stabilized the last couple of times out when you didn't necessarily think he might stick K has been fine. Fetti's been useful for what they signed him for.
Speaker 7: So like, as a.
Speaker 6: Unit, they're doing okay. I think they're punching above their weight. Now it's just a matter of the reinforcements, and the reinforcements were not what the White Sox thought they were going to be.
Speaker 1: But that doesn't.
Speaker 6: Seem like a problem for this exercise of grading what they did in the first half and what they did over the second court of the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point, Jim, because this is like two different conversations when talk about the White Sox starightning pitchers. One part of the conversation what have they done in the first eighty one eighty two games of the season. And I'm with you, the White Sox starning pitchers get a bee because of what we've seen Davis Barin accomplish, Anthony Kay that big may that he had, and Sean Berke coming strong as of late. If there is a unit that I think we are all agreement on that could start fading in the second half, it is the starting pitcher. So while we can say they get a letter of Grade B for the first half, that does not necessarily mean that everything, all the ducks are lined up for them to still be a B unit in the second half. I do think that they do need to find some external help to help bolster this starting rowation.
Speaker 2: But I am with you.
Speaker 1: I give the White Sox a B after the first half. James, how about you? What grade would you give the White Sox starting pitchers?
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm inclined to stay in the same tier tier with a bee. I just want to mention how frustrated I am that a team leading the league and opener usage means that looking at like they're starting pitching split performance and their bullpen split performances like totally muddled samples like I can't get like beyond like and naturally they're like both middle of the road and both like roughly the same like era in a way like yeah, it's because it's the same pictures just intermingled with each other. It's of course it's the same thing. These samples are ruined. There's no information to drop on, so.
Speaker 6: Chocolate, your peanut butter, peanut butter in your chocolates.
Speaker 7: Get the great entirely on vibes and just kind of makes this entirely sports radio segment in total yeah, blurt, like you've almost swapped, Like I mean, I don't think anyone could have like the leap of Davis Martin. No one, you didn't expect any member of the rotation necessarily performed that well over the first half. But it's it's almost like the swap you've made from like him stepping forward to like Shane Smith bottoming out where he struggled in that option and now.
Speaker 3: Is hurt and.
Speaker 7: You like not to give him like a zero for the season because obviously the injury is unpreventable to agree, but like you've gotten really no real value out of him, like grating for their first half. That said, like k I think is like held serve as much as you could kind of hope for based on the signing, Like the same for Fetti, Like definitely some like rickneyediness in terms of like evaluating them and like is this a playoff starter? How would they get through a game? I like this more as like can't it's more of like they look like they've they've been fine as far as like getting you to the finish line through the first half so far, Sean Bert taking like what's a more reasonable single year step up? But still a step up I think is a positive or rotation that I'd want to lean toward B. But like you expected this juncture of the year to feel a bit better about like what you know, the second like the follow up was going to be like expected like Tanner, McDougal and Higgins Smith and you know, obviously no Schultz raring to go, and you know, maybe Schultz can jump on that, but certainly having the knee flair up in the season, there's a lot reason to be a little questioning of like, all right, was it gonna look like in the second half? The depth is just not quite built up to like where you thought you could be, Like, well, if we get a good half season out of k a good half season at Petty, we're sitting pretty because we're going to have Drew Thorpe, sure, Tanner, McDougall, Hagan, Smith, Jonathan Cannon looking like you know, re earning a spot something like that, Like you just haven't seen like this, this depth bubble up like this. Mason Adam has become that guy I think certainly around me where he's useful and provides like good starts down the stretch for the major league team, But also isn't like the high ceiliing option who becomes a stalwart and like drives the bust of the rotation for a while. It's the probably asking much of him. You know, he's obviously overformed every step to get here, but to be reasonable's that's having him more than a spot starter depth rather than you know, your top hundred prospects that you hope we're gonna become impact guys down the stretch. Maybe that comes to the bullpen. Maybe that affects like the grade of the next section. But it's the same thing basically, Jim is saying, in a more rambling version of it's been a bee based on like the results they turned in, but you can see a tin towards certain things need to step up to sustain that. In the next quarter.
Speaker 1: Well, the next unit is the White Sox relievers the bullpen, and before we do that, the fanable for starting pitchers. Fifty seven percent of you also agree with us giving the White Sox starting.
Speaker 2: Pitchers a B grade.
Speaker 1: For the relievers, I can start here when you look at war according to fan grafts or the White Sox relievers middle of the pack. They rank sixteenth to Major League Baseball at two war when you look at wins probability added WPA, the White Sox currently ranked as a unit for relievers twenty second in Major League Baseball. I'm going to give the White Sox relievers a C. Even though Sean new Comes pitched really well and Grant Taylor at times has pitched really well. I'm still uneasy about Sir Anthony Domingus. I'm still uneasy on some of the other arms that are part of the White Sox bullpen. I'm hoping that they do figure out the high leverage situation as the second half continues, especially as far as the next quarter of the season before the trade deadline. But this is the unit that I do circle that I think can get better with internal options, especially if the White Sox do you decide to move Tanner McDougal if he is healthy into the bullpen. That could be a lot more velocity coming out of the White Sox bullpen as well. If Sir Anthony Domingus gets himself back on track, then all of a sudden, that back end of the bullpen for the White Sox looks a lot stronger. So while I am concerned about the starting pitching fading for the White Sox. They don't have that same concern on the whole fading as a unit from the White Sox relievers, but after the first half, I still give them a CEE. James, what grade would you give White Sox relievers.
Speaker 7: I'd probably say be out of spite to your review. Taking objection with calling Brant Taylor pitching sub three e RA with awesome peripherals as good at times, I think.
Speaker 3: Yes, he is too much time bad like three outings for someone who's averaging like on pace for like eighty innings and striking out thirty five percent of hitters.
Speaker 7: Like he's just generally been awesome. And this is what a very very good release season looks like. Seawn Newcomb's been like one hundred and twenty percent of what you could hope delivering, like like a three win bullpen season, Like that's been an amazing signee, Like Brian Hudson becoming a leverage guy certainly the sort of thing you need to you know, find yourself in a division race. Surprisingly, Yeah, the back end has been shaky, Yeah, Jordan Hicks has been a roller coaster. Sir Anthony Demingez has you know, blown out says, but they they've been middle of the pack and certainly in terms of like their expectations of like kind of just on the hunt for guys who look like viable big leaguers that they have something that looks like just like a leverage core of a team that fights for a wild card spot caliber, like yeah, it needs to be upgraded to the deadline, but like it's obviously been like the bones of a decent bullpen when they really like as much as they spent something on it, like it wasn't like some huge spendings for you or even like close to like twenty twenty two levels of investment of like finding leverage believers, I think it's been pretty good, probably like B minus, like given like some of the struggles, but the data you're drawing from also is well Sean Burke and Eric Fetty starts and you know, removing some scoreless Grant Taylor openings, uhich just maybe why you're underrating him his performance on the season. So yeah, like their their flawed. They need to add and you know, I think we've seen like a bunch of projects like not work out there uh in some way, but from what iffness there is on like starting pitching reserves, Like maybe some of those options that we're not quite sure could contributed to the rotation, like Hegan Smith or Dan McDougall, maybe those become assets at the bullpen where I feel like almost a little bit more of their better position to you know, shuffle in some better options or some interesting guys that don stretch, Like, is there's something to this hiary rte upsurge. You know, maybe we can find out at some point, you know, I never say never, what if we say, see Peyton Pellette like effectively other bulpalzo is you know, look really good and now was rehabbing. So uh, I feel like maybe there's easier to score and see some like options just because like the bar is lower for you know, guys who could help and round out to a bullpen that looks more like five or six deep down the stretch than you know, three or four deep in getting by the way they have been up to this point, so I want to be kind of I think they've gotten made it work, maybe more impressively than it looks. And obviously they've been bailed out by the offense, like you know, having lots of comebacks and stuff like that. But there are four games over. They're supposed to be like a ninety last team. I think the bullpen's been okay, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Jim, break break the tie between James and I. What grade would you give the White Sox bullpen?
Speaker 6: What if I split the difference, which is I had him at C plus.
Speaker 7: For the first quarter?
Speaker 6: Still kind of feels like a C plus bullpen, just because of the Domingo's thing looming over everything, especially if Taylor goes to innings. What's the plan for the late innings if he and newcomer not available on you know, for the day following that day, and it is, you know, just one of those things where you do have to navigate it, and their feelings can be hurt, con tensions can arise. But I think the bullpen is taking shape. I think Trevor Richards is a pretty nifty pick up for somebody who can handle innings that aren't important, which matters when you have guys that you treasure in those high leverage situations like Taylor and Newcome and Brian Hudson. For anybody who can step in and preserve even like when Tyler Davis is going good and the White Sox started liking him, like Trevor Richards picking up two winnings in the game that's gotten away from him, preserves Tyler Davis, preserves you know, two other pictures from coming in, and that helps a lot for just keeping availability open. So I think they're above average. I think if you count C plus above average, I think technically they feel like they're just on the right side of mediocre. But yeah, just feels like they're not in their final form yet and feels like they're one arm away, whether it's Mingas riding the ship, even if he has more of a set up guy than a true closer, because Grant Taylor is more of that guy, or you know, McDougall Smith, Ben Peeples, another guy's been killing a triple A for the entire year basically, and we'll see if the White Sox add to the forty Man in any points. But they have options to flesh it out further, but it doesn't quite feel entirely settled yet to where there's that automatic, you know, sequence of you know, their their Plan A, and then if Plan A has been worked hard the last couple days, the Plan B feels a little bit murky in a way that's maybe like a a B bullpen doesn't. That's kind of where I'm at right now.
Speaker 2: But I think we're all in agreeance.
Speaker 1: This unit could be better with internal options in the second half of this season, where in the star pitching side there's not that many starts, there's not many internal options the White Sox have left.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll say I'm in agreement since that came up in the comments. Uh Fred Durst coined agreements and I always like that phrase is because like he came up with that and it seemed to have stuck. But yeah, they've been like they have enough to where you can keep swapping parts out and feel like they're not just flailing. It feels like they can make considered choices.
Speaker 1: The fan pull on Twitter, fifty two percent of you gave the White Sox relievers a C grade for the first half. Moving over to manager and general manager, we start with the manager, Will Venable. This is where I am very much against on how the fans voted for this on Twitter, and I'm starting to see on social media a little back and forth between White Sox fans. But Jim, I'll start with you, what grade would you give Will Venable after the first half, I.
Speaker 6: Would say in a just four or if they've won more games than your thoughts from the talent that they had entering the season, and they like playing for him, they're responding to a whole bunch.
Speaker 2: Of usages and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, deployments in game changes, et cetera. That we're not part of the White Sox fabric. And also we're not necessarily part of like why they came of the White Sox are like in the case of like Agritchik coming over because he was like the White Socks were the best option, but it wasn't because like he had his choice of three or four teams and thought the White Sox are the best fit for him and integrating them well, Like Domingas is the only kind of wards on this, and that's because like of his own doing of walking you know, heat off guys and late innings. So that's something that Dimingas has to settle more than venable. But yeah, I mean you can nitpick some inventable strategy like the infield in the first inning. Still not a huge fan of that. I think they are maybe a little bit aggressive with I wish the hitters had more say in abs a little bit more, but overall, Like, I think he does a good job of explaining his thought processes. I think there's like a consistent through line. I think the expectations have been conveyed well to the team and the roster and integrating new players, integrating rookies, which I think is can always be tricky for a manager. So yeah, I think based on it's kind of a results oriented assessments. But I think when the results have outpaced preseason expectations to this regard, and everybody's happy, and you see Mike Vassel in a dugout with a wand and a sorcerer's cap and everybody's having a grand old time, then I think you have to say, like, yeah, Venable's doing a great job of just letting this happen, even if you don't give him credit for like being the guy responsible for it. He's not getting the way or he's not saying no, or he's not trying to impose his will, Like it's possible that like his case, like his will is taking the shape and so you know, it's it's too hard for me to separate the results from you know, the manager, especially like for half of a season sample size, and given what he had to work with last year. I don't think you can apply what he had last year to this year necessarily to say like it didn't work last year at work this year.
Speaker 1: You know it's I would.
Speaker 6: Take this year's results over last. I think last year's results were irrelevance based on the talent he had to where Yeah, it's it feels like an A until he starts like putting players in position to fail, which I don't think he has.
Speaker 2: I am with you.
Speaker 1: This is where I disagreed with the fan. The fan bull is forty eight percent B now forty six percent did vote A. The six percent of you that voted C. I need to hear your reasons on why you would give will vennabule ac if it is will Ben usage again to bring this up, and why I'm right and James' is rawn. Yes, the White Sox have three very good relievers who are having outstanding seasons. Five of them kind of need to step up their game, but four of them are limited talent wise, but it will get better. I still think he's doing well with the decision making of the bullpine, but you could disagree with me.
Speaker 2: That's fine. The Bun team, I know that upsets a lot of you. The opener has been helping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be great if the White Sox had five guys that you could count on for six innings, but they just don't have that currently on hand. And the fact that we're talking about he first placed White Sox team after the first half the season. I don't know how this isn't unanimously an a but it's Chicago sports, and some Chicago sports fans must always hate the coach no matter how well the.
Speaker 2: Team is performing.
Speaker 1: James, you get a chance to talk to Will Venable many times, what would you give him for a grade in the first half?
Speaker 7: I guess to defend our fans, so I guess I'm just trying to play Devil's advocates to you every time. Like, what I'm trying to say is like a fans process the manager through tactics like in game. Yes, like they're not. It's just there's it's so hard from a distance to calibrate like the other things he's doing. So that viewpoint, I obviously think is limited, but it's what's real and tangible from the go off of So while from a communications standpoint, I appreciate and probably overrate his tactics just because like he's the best manager I've dealt with in terms of like communicating them and like demonstrating like a logical through line of like the philosophy behind all of them. Not necessarily because he has a philosophy behind all of them and the others didn't, but maybe the others like even just routed towards defensiveness when asked about it more and just it wasn't as clearly understood, like how interconnected everything was. So there's I have a bias to be like, well, I always know. I usually know ahead of time, even if I don't agree why he's doing it, just from watching it.
Speaker 2: Like it.
Speaker 7: I feel like I was asking, like in the game thread to readers in a defensive way, and maybe I thought they were overacting. But also is like curiously, like I watch him and I talked to him enough about this, so like I know why Niel this moves And you were saying, like question about his bullpen management today, like what's not clear? I think like it's it's like I've been watching this machine work for a bit and like it does that during when this happens, it does like it's all just very like kind of laid out, so we're like, even when it doesn't work out or it's not something like is my gut is sync to do I kind of like, well, I know they do that because they do that, and that kind of provides like to me, it just limits to my degree to which like you always kind of have the biggest reactions to the thing you don't understand, and I so really like don't understand why he did something at all, and usually when I question, it fits in the place pretty quickly. That said, I would almost probably try to give my grit he entirely removed out of the tactical question just to be like team plays hard for him and year ten, it seems like that's kind of.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 7: You entered the job with a lot of ideas, like what's really going to manage matter manager wise? Is it like tactics that like make us pull our hair out, or is it you know, not having any like scandals in the clubhouse or stuff like that, or what is it just seems like this team plays connected, they play hard, they model his identity. They just that he has buy in and that's not something that's just gonna like be consistent year to year. Let alone, like his whole tenure, but like right now in terms of valuating his job of how he did in this first half, like the team plays balls out, he's getting the most out of him, because that's kind of that's just become more clear, like that's just job one A of what he really needs to accomplish, especially as you get so many any of these strategies being determined by like what the team's model says, his job is really to communicate to them and explain how that affects them and why that's gonna do it. I think for that, like there have been some blips here and there in terms of like guys cranky after opener usage or obviously Sir Anthony you know, has talked about being miffed about like his role a little bit and certainly surprise and you know him being especially using the term surprise, like that reflects back on communication. So it's not a perfect grade. It's more just like the results saying, you know, the way the team, the players talk about the team in general indicate that he's got a pretty good passing grade on that for them and how they see him. Even if we've seen like that, it's not one hundred percent based on some things that popped up. I think overall the product is like, this is a team that bought in. This is a team that's like with the program they're doing, and they're getting the benefits of that in the results of just like how much everyone's like, Yeah, this is my role in the team, and I believe in the same and I'm gonna do this. That's not automatic. Seen some years without it around here, and you might see some in the future, but certainly working right now.
Speaker 1: If you had first half grades for Major League Baseball, I Will Venable would be my American League Manager of the Year.
Speaker 2: So that's where I disagree with the fifty four percent.
Speaker 1: Who did not give Will Venable an A. But hey, it's your guys' first half grade. At least I didn't have to put an f on any of these polls. That's a nice change of pace from the last few years that we've done this. And then the final grade to give out is Chris Gaetz and the White Sox front office. James, how would you grade Chris Getz and the front office so far after the first half?
Speaker 7: So like, this is another tricky one. Like if you're a fan viewpoint, you're what do you usually grade a GM on. It's probably off season moves that he did to improve the team or in season moves that he did to improve the team, and how effective you are. And I think there's obviously some wins. K is passing grade for what you wanted out of him. Shaw Newcomb's like this, you know, big A, Sir, Anthony Dominguez is probably a C or lower right now. You know, probably really trending towards D in terms of like first half, like not a D for forever or never going to redeem himself, but in terms of what you got for the first half, certainly not good. I think there's swings from that. But are you is that why they're good? Is that why they're overperforming? Or is Chris get this like evaluation based on like organizational health or all? Does he get credit for like everything Ryan Fuller has accomplished, like offensive Side or Derek Shruman because he broughtably these people in, he hired them and empowered them like the GM more than like he's making individual evaluations or he's like going to some secret workout where he sees when he's Takamer Comedi's like, uh, swing get demonstrated and decide like, aha, I see an All Star. Like that's not really how their evaluations work in this place. It's more of like, yeah, he I think already at the time we could have said, like he accurately assessed their risk analysis, where this is a move that people feel excited about and don't really are willing to accept the downside of whate better we're going to do. I think that rationale probably fit how the Socks fans felt about the team at the time more than is like obviously it worked out as well as it possibly could, but it's more just like evidence of self aware decisions, and I think you could give them credit for that down the line. So I don't know, should I just evaluate him in offseason moves or should I evaluate him towards like what he's done for the organization or what strides they made? Is he a stand in for the organization itself? It could be a very multi layered question, but just in terms of like what do we think this team was going to be. We wrote a preseason article about Socks Best where he's saying, how about nineteen more wins this year as like a way to pop up the crowd, and it's simultaneously, how sad is it You're trying to sell him a six seventy nine win season, and how sad this is it that that was decently ambitious. The next seventeen the next nineteen win improvement is gonna be hard on the first. So maybe he's been a little over ambitious to even say that they're overperforming that so you kind of have to be like, by any expectation we had going to the season, I think it's an a just because they're the wins, the losses was the standings say, they're they're better than we could have expected. So it seems like a ninety percent of outcome and CPS, that's an A second point zero zero.
Speaker 1: How about you, Jim, what great would you give Chris Getz to the White Sox runt office As to the first half.
Speaker 6: It almost seems like pass fail is more of a better system for this just because.
Speaker 7: Of yeah, the thumbs down from Gladiator.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the preseason outfield like did not shake out, Like Acunya was not good in center and they thought he could play there and uh, you know Austin Hayes, you know the injuries that he had, Uh he had once again. Uh, and that's something that's, if not coulda been predicted at least for scene. And you know, even I kind of did it reflectibly. So like here comes a calf jury and then eastrain his calf and it's you know, that was a risky bets for them to like anchor the outfield, and you know Jared Kellening didn't work out and Everson Praira's been hurt and you know those are the kind of the plan a for the outfield the first wave. And yet like Sam Antonacci's been fine and left and like the second coming of Tony Phillips at least from one side of the plates at the top of the order. And Tristan Peters has been a revelation.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 6: Just so that's and then Braid Montgomery comes up. Now all of a sudden, you have an outfield left to right. I feel like, yeah, that's an outfield.
Speaker 7: So does he get.
Speaker 6: Credit for the outfield that showed up halfway through it? Is he kind of get a credit for the outfield he tried to put together in the first place. I will say, like the in season moves that he's made in terms of timing of promotions, having a plan for usage I think has been pretty sound, Like you can think through it with them. You can think through venables ideas for how players should be used, Like Braid Montgomery comes up. Maybe could have waited a little bit more, but also like, yeah, he's your best option for every day play. You have a way to give him some runway. You can put them towards the Bob in the order. If it doesn't work out, we can maybe look at the deadline and see what you can do to offset it. But it gives you an idea of he gives you information to work with when it comes to whether to put resources towards their outfielder, So sure bring them up. Same thing with Jacob Gonzale is like perfect fit first base. Like maybe not defensively first base because he didn't have much experience there, but in terms of need left handed bats who has some plate discipline and maybe some some power. He's filling the spot of a guy who's left handed with play discipline and power. That's the same shape put him in that those you know don't expect him to be hit fourth every game, but yeah, I mean like that's a good spot for Jacob Gonzalez to come in like Sam Antonacci. Yeah, left field is new to him pretty much, but otherwise he had earned it, and you know he's played his way into more playing time in his stabilized left field. So I think the in season solutions have I think been in then Randall Gritchick another one where just they you know, Reese McGuire didn't work out. I didn't understand that signing, but Gritchick, Yeah, that one worked out. So is it the case where you ding him for McGuire as much as you credit him for Gritchick or do you say, like, hey, uh, good to go to that well again if it didn't work out the first time. So that's why I think, Yeah, it's case where putting a fine letter grade on it a little tricky.
Speaker 1: So I'll just say easy pass, Okay, that's fine, I'll accept that buy out fans sixty seven percent of fans gave Chris Getz in the White Sox front office an A. I think his time is going to come on August third. There's two big things coming for GMS.
Speaker 2: One, how do you handle the MLB Draft?
Speaker 1: Now see that with the number one overall pick, you could be the first place Chicago White Sox with the number one overall pick. How do you handle that weekend with the will be draft and then August third trade deadline? How do you help this team? Like his big moments are definitely coming. But I do approve and I think you make really good points, Jim with the in season moves and being very anti Rick Hahn of whatever, Let's give these rookies a try, like, don't worry about service time, Let's not continue to shop on the waiver wire. Let's throw these guys into the fire and see what they can give us. And right now they haven't drowned. So it's been working out for Chris Gatz in the White Sox.
Speaker 6: One thing about that will be interesting about this deadline is this is probably the most synergistic manager GM pairing the White Sox have had in a deadline where they've been adding quite some time. Yes, yeah, maybe ever like well, especially recently in terms of the uh you know Rick Renturia and Rick Han being at odds during the twenty twenty season, and then Tony la Russa not being Rick Han's choice, and then uh, you know, Griffole being a dud, and then you know Chris gets not being interested in propping up Griffole if he was tasked like carrying him over to a season where they had no hope. But it seems like they've been lockstep in terms of, you know, how much they support each other. So I am curious how that manifests itself going into the deadline and how much they push for it and say, you know, if you know Renteria wanted a starting pitcher in Han didn't give it to him. If you have that situation again where Venable says like we could really use this or I'm at wits end trying to figure out this and the price is maybe higher than gets would like to pay ideally, like how does that work? Open end new question? You know, just don't know because we've never seen a general manager and manager get along like this in quite some time. Maybe Robin Ventura Kenny Williams, you know that kind of the start of that might have been like the last time they liked each other so much, open communication with again, like Ventura is completely new to it, so you know he's yeah, he might have been you know, deferential to where like he didn't have us say, really curious to see how it works out.
Speaker 1: Do you have any insight on that James as far as how the synergy could work between Gets Inventable heading to August third, I don't know what you mean, but like if Vnable goes to Gets and says, we need a starting pitcher, Chris, can you give me another starting pitcher?
Speaker 7: I think they're already talking about that reality and what they need on a regular base. I don't I don't think it'd be a Gets is like monicle falls off in his office, but na Will gives him this news. So like, I think they already like municate to a level where their needs are probably already pretty spoken, if that's what you mean. At the same time, like Venible like kind of defers or at least talks about like deferring to like what they're going to do and what the front office is going to look for. And they have this like all acquisitions department that they use and like the model that they're targeting. So like it's not like you've seen a lot of acquisitions that are like, oh, that's Venable's guy that he wanted. They don't seem like they make that acquisitions those acquisitions more. Maybe that's I don't know, if I they certainly have synergy They certainly endorse each other when they talk about it, But is that about like just the more industrialized way they go about adding players rather than like a power struggle or you know, bringing up names and patting them around as their process more than necessarily. I'd say, like this is the synergy of like I don't even know if like the really the mechanism is that fickle as far as like being dependent on their relationship, Like obviously if it goes bad, that could have hurt it. But they're not just like batting back and forth names between each other as much as like options are coming up and being considered by like a lot more model driven analysis.
Speaker 6: Now, Yeah, I think maybe like one area could be like Braidon Montgomery, who's been fine, but just the case of like, you know, depends how he looks at between now and the deadline, if like Venable says like I don't know if he's got this year and you know, gets to the front office saying, well, we think you can do exus here and we don't really want to spend resources that you Montgomery could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's like one.
Speaker 6: Situation I think on the roster, I think starting pitching is glaringly obvious now Taylor is good enough to handle, Like, Yeah, I think you don't have the typical closer conversation because like the White Sox don't necessarily need to get a closer from outside, They just need to handle the closer business within. Yeah, maybe with more finality if if Domingus continues to struggle, But yeah, maybe right field might be the one where, you know, maybe if Peters agresses a little bit, like you have some weaknesses in the outfield, a little bit to where you could maybe see ad or not d being more of an open debate.
Speaker 1: Numb percent of the folks on social media gave Chris Getz an a and then our bonus topic most pressing need at the trade deadline and fans again for the seventh consecutive podcast, Yes, the White Sox need starting pitching help sixty five percent. So that is the most pressing need for the White Sox for the trade deadline is starting pitching help, and we'll continue to keep an eye on that market. Sonny Gray looked really good for the Boston Red Sox on Sunday against the New York Yankees.
Speaker 2: He's been really strong this year.
Speaker 1: The Tigers been playing a lot better does that mean Derek Schoolball is not out there in the trade market.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we get a little bit more clarity.
Speaker 1: On who are the sellers and who are the teams that are just topping their toe in the seller's market, so we have a better understanding of what the targets could be for the White Sox and the starting pitching front before the trade deadline. But again, it's a lot more fun to talk about the possibilities for the White Sox buying in the last three years talking about who could the White Sox sell, so don't have to worry about that this season, and that in itself is a blessing. If you haven't subscribed to The Sox Machine podcast, you can debscribe to the show where if you listen to podcasts such as Spotify and Apple Music, check out our videos as well. How do YouTube channel at YouTube dot com, slash sox Machine. Follow us on social media. We're on all the social media platforms at the Sox Machine. Follow James at JR Vegan, you follow me at the Sox Machine, Underscore Josh and if you enjoy your work and went full access to all of our coverage of the Chicago White Sox Major League Baseball and the upcoming MLB Draft. Sign up to become a Sox Machine subscriber at soxmachine.
Speaker 2: Dot com slash products.
Speaker 1: The Sox Machine Podcast is a production of Soxmachine dot com.
Speaker 2: You're for all of the in Chicago White Sox.
Speaker 1: Baseball alongside James Vegan and Jim Margolis.
Speaker 2: I'm Josh Nelson. Thanks for listening and watching
Speaker 6: MHM.